[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1530861135462.png (4.95 MB, 2048x2048)
4.95 MB
4.95 MB PNG
For all your questions on Wrath & Glory, Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries in the FFG games.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five FFG lines.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Grimdark music for your games:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9WFeqTgvRvyRoGD8jVFVA?

W&G Character Sheets:
https://mega.nz/#!mA8WBAaK!NEhXMO_-tJQBzCAqGCY9my9tPBUl9BMAyZnBqqlW9Zc

W&G Errata:
https://www.ulisses-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Wrath-Glory-Errata_v6.pdf

Homebrews:
>The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.8) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dghh4d6spcd6io9/

>Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.12) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xtutxsxmo1k7foo/

>Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

>The Fringe is Yours! (v 1.9.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cq9x7gc9qnbh76c/

>The Gold Experience Requiem (v1.0.0) (Play as Custodes, Primaris, SoS, Solar Auxilia)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6qup24o1amng5e6/

>Make your maps look just like FFG's
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eaga3g853m8fa4d/Sector+map+making.rar

No Sister has ever fallen to Chaos edition
>>
File: Screaming_Wheel(32x19).png (4.13 MB, 2240x1330)
4.13 MB
4.13 MB PNG
Lets kickstart this thread with recreation of a Screaming Wheel from DH2 core rulebook

Feel free to use
>>
File: 600px-Killskata.jpg (108 KB, 600x600)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>
>tfw nobody wants to play a custodes game
>>
>>62880014
why is it turned at an angle? That makes it harder to use if you are trying to align it with a grid.
>>
File: Street_Acropolis.png (4.98 MB, 2457x2520)
4.98 MB
4.98 MB PNG
>>62880014
I've also tried making a map of a street in a hive's merchant district. If anyone has 40k vehicles that I could use in my maps, I'd be grateful (autocarriages, battle vehicles, whatever)
>>
>>62880075
Because I'm an autist and having it slightly at an angle makes it look more "natural" for me. Also to break up the monotony.
>>
>>62880014
>>62880081
Thank you for the maps.
If I want to turn them so they are straight and easier to use, what is a good method for figuring out how many degrees I need to turn them?
I am using GIMP if that matters.
>>
>>62880220
a good method is to ask for it :D
>>
>>62880317
Thanks for the maps, but really, if you're going to post them, post them without being oddly tilted. We get you're doing it for "flavor" or whatever, but when staring at a battle map, well, it should be straight for clarity's sake. You can always add a NSEW compass if need be on it to determine the actual direction.
>>
>>62880317
>>
>>62880351
Aight, noted
>>
File: test rotation 1.png (5.33 MB, 2457x2520)
5.33 MB
5.33 MB PNG
>>62880317
>>62880359
Thank you very much. I figured out that if I made a layer underneath the tilted map that was was covered in a checkerboard pattern of 2x2px squares I could manually rotate the map to a roughly straight orientation by hand, then zoom in to 800% and try to get it so that the edges of the maps didn't wander relative to the checkerboard grid in the botttom layer.

However that was really finicky and time consuming I don't think it worked perfectly.

>>62880351
>You can always add a NSEW compass if need be on it to determine the actual direction.

This is true.
>>
>>62880038

stop trying to cheat
>>
I’m curious how you handle power fields in your games. By raw, succcesful activation negates an attack, but that means there is no difference between semi- or full-auto burst or a single shot.
Do you roll to resolve power field activation against each successful hit of attack?
>>
>>62884516
Do you really want to roll a save against every successful hit from a semi/full auto weapon?
>>
File: Confused Bondrewd.jpg (97 KB, 1000x664)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>62884646

People don't do this?
>>
>>62884516
My group used to do one roll no matter the attack. Of course, now we swapped to WANG so that doesn't matter anymore, thank fuck. Shit slowed down combat immeasureably.

>attack
>check successes
>check fucking shield
>check fucking dodge
>determine damage if you even hit after all of this
>>
I'm gonna be converting my RT game to WANG, and I was thinking about how to convert the Navigator? I thought about giving the character an archetype ability to use Smite a number of times per session equal to rank +1.
>>
>>62887591
>converting to Wang
Why?
>>
>>62887851
I ran a one-shot for my group and they found the mechanics easier to understand and more engaging.
>>
File: WnG_how_to_01.png (3.27 MB, 1275x1650)
3.27 MB
3.27 MB PNG
>>62887952
Ahh brainlet group.
>>
>>62887591
Is it an NPC or a player? If it's an NPC just handwave'em.
>>
>>62887591
That would be too powerful or too weak, I think, depending on what exactly you meant. I'd start the archetype similarly to the Warlock: grant the Navigator Smite as part of what he bought when he took the archetype, and have it not count against his tier limit of powers known.

I think a custom discipline might be needed for Navigators to come off right, but if you don't want to do that, Minors+Divination should be a good stopgap.
>>
File: 1512974488199.jpg (166 KB, 1280x1361)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
I've been playing Dark Heresy 1E for years with nothing but the corebook, screen, and Inquisitor's Handbook

How is Wrath and Glory compared to Dark Heresy? Is it like D&D 1E vs. 5E's "Deadly, dark places vs. Heroic stories" or do they play similarly in tone?

Also how do the mechanics compare and are there glorious crit tables?
>>
So I been out of the loop since running the WanG free RPG day module. Are people swapping over or not?
>>
>>62888554
Sorta. It's not a bad system, but it is barebones AF for now.
>>
>>62888519

The mechanics are solid, but simple. It does not seem to require as much house ruling as the FFG systems did.

It also has mechanics to incentivize roleplaying and interactivity. My group particularly enjoyed completing the objectives and figuring out the effects of complications. My group is not very experienced with roleplaying games though so YMMV.

The soak mechanic makes it slightly more heroic, but it also has a tier system like Mutants and Masterminds and playing outside of your league is still going to get your shit pushed in.
>>
Has anyone tried a marine game yet?

I was fiddling with the mechanics and some theorycrafting and thought that they looked really toned back in order to be fit into the same book as basic humans.
>>
>>62889522

What's the quality of the fluff in WANG, out of interest? Say what you like about the system but DH had some top-tier writing for an RPG and I felt that the writers really had a grip on what made 40k atmospheric and distinctive.
>>
>>62890290
It has all the depth and warmth of Barbie's cunt.
>>
Need the Brains Trust here guys.

My party in Dark Heresy is squaring off against a powerful Slaaneshi Psyker.

He is going to release the Black Crusade Power “Soul’s Secrets Unleashed” which is supposed to be (according to the fluff) the victim succumbing to their darkest desires and revelling and killing each other.

The in-game effect is that all the targets just start attacking each other, but I want the PC’s to engage in some messed up stuff if they fail by enough.

I need some ideas for the stuff the Party Members would do to each other while tainted by Slaanesh without it turning into “lol you raep each other”.

It is always a fine line, but I have tried to run a Slaanesh campaign without it turning into Magical Realm so thoughts outside the immediate kill/fuck box would be appreciated.
>>
>>62890789
Think about each character.
What's their preferred method of attack, what skills and talents do they use the most, etc.
Now apply the Slaaneshi perfectionist, exhibitionist and/or sensation seeker ideals to that information.
So the sniper could start showing off through trick shots, the redemptioist could set themself on fire before attacking, the psyker starts deliberately trying for phenomena, etc.
>>
>>62890789
This sounds like an excellent chance for the players to roleplay the consequences - unless your table is full of That Guy and That Girl, I'd by and large let them choose what happens.

Regardless of who chooses (you or them), some ideas to get you started:

1) Murder (the current RAW).
2) Sadism: The character secretly desires torture. They will attempt to take down their targets as painfully but nonlethally as possible, with the ultimate goal of dragging them off, strapping them down, and committing horrific acts on them. They will take steps to keep their targets alive, to ensure the suffering continues.
3) Masochism: The character is attacking their friends because they like their friends so much, and this is really an attempt to hurt themselves. They will prioritize targets based on how much hurting that target will hurt the character, with loved ones having maximum priority. When they run out of targets, they may engage in direct self harm, but will not kill themselves, as that would end the suffering.
4) Body Envy: The character wants to be the prettiest princess, but is convinced the other party members have physical qualities they desire. For example, they may want to be taller, and attack taller members of the party to rip their legs off to attach them to themselves. The same trick may be done with arms, faces, nipples, etc. The character's personal sense of beauty is now similar to Slaanesh's, so they consider every party member incredibly beautiful in their own way.
5) Greed: As Body Envy, but for possessions. These are usually material, but exotic exceptions may occur, such as slaves. The character's primary goal is taking everything the party has - murdering them is simply a very expedient way to make that happen - so that they can establish the lavish lifestyle they deserve, bling themselves out fashionably (with clothing and armor), and so on and so forth - they are convinced they need the party's stuff to be happy.
>>
>the techpriest is playing metal gear rising
>the psyker is playing devil may cry (demons included)
>everybody inbetween is playing the NPCs
I should have just made a fucking psyker.
>>
File: Judge_Dredd.gif (166 KB, 500x281)
166 KB
166 KB GIF
>>62891607
>Not picking Arbitrator and playing Judge Dredd
>>
>>62890290
It’s not as grim dark as the DH1 book. Not even in the same league of grimdark.
>>
>>62893658
the oneliners get old fast
>>
File: kirby.jpg (22 KB, 530x346)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
So I been wanting to get into a warhammer 40k RPG but I heard the books cost a buttload. Is this true?

Side note, having a debate, how would Kirby do in the 40k universe? Sakurai(iiiii!) bias plot armor enabled.
>>
>>62896844
>So I been wanting to get into a warhammer 40k RPG but I heard the books cost a buttload. Is this true?
books are free, check OP

>>62896844
>Side note, having a debate, how would Kirby do in the 40k universe? Sakurai(iiiii!) bias plot armor enabled.
funny haha
>>
>>62896870
>books are free, check OP
Really? Someone said they cost 300 bucks and would sell me theirs for 150.
>>
>>62896924
That person is either extremely retarded, or thinks that you are so is trying to scam you.
If you want to look at the books for free they're all in the mega in the OP, or on drivethrurpg if you want them legit.
>>
>>62896924
PDF’s of the books can be found in the OP. Those are totally free. Actual physical copies are a different matter and some of them go for crazy prices.
>>
Anyone have any good WanG homebrew? My group enjoys it more than FFG's rpg's but I miss the metric fucktons of content that the years of FFG's stewardship have put out.
>>
>>62896924

You can buy an official physical copy of WANG for about $50-$60

https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/green-ronin-publishing-wrath-glory-core-rulebook-hardcover-p294331/s472199?cid=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiAt4rfBRBKEiwAC678KTf_QeBWPdaU45bqRkE7z0ql5m60swb4W5g3OwQjR7RtwCOHeMIipxoC8-MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
>>
>>62890290
>but DH had some top-tier writing for an RPG and I felt that the writers really had a grip on what made 40k atmospheric and distinctive
Funny, I always considered it the exact wrong tone. It went full Grim Derp rather than the normal 40k tone of black humor. It's like it was written by monkey's who didn't get the idea the whole thing is supposed to be tongue in cheek.
>>
>>62888554
My groups swapped over right away, and haven't looked back. It's faster, it's easier, it does more with less. Book's editing sucks balls and sometimes has us going "I knew we read that fucking rule just last week now where the fuck is it?", but beyond that it's been working out pretty well.
>>
>>62889591
In WANG? The Chaos game I'm in is basically a Marine game (3 marines, a psyker, and a heretek), and so far everyone is pretty damn useful. You've gotta remember though, even if it's a T1 archtype buffed up to T3 via the rules, it's not JUST a "guardsman with more points" at that point, it's a "this guy would be a named hero unit" sort of situation. Also Marines are pretty damn wrecking ball-ey depending on how you build'em.

But part of it depends on weapons they face too. Anyone is going to eat shit when shot with plasma/melta, Marine or not. But Marines are damn well going to likely wade through regular weapons fire (bolter or less) without any issue.
>>
>>62898570
>And a heretek
I have concerns and questions.
>>
>>62891607
Should've played WANG instead.
>>
File: Leviathan_Hive_Ship.jpg (46 KB, 1000x702)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>Players commandeer an imperial battleship
>Ram it into tyranid Hive Ship
>Force the navigator initiate emergency warp jump in low orbit
>it worked despite navigators failing his rolls
>all smiles, high fives all around
>>
>>62898582
What are they?
>>
>>62898612
Why is a heretek in a party of 3 marines and a psyker?
>>
>>62898484

40k hasn't been "tongue-in-cheek" since 1998. Beards need to learn to let Rogue Trader scrappiness go.
>>
>>62898646
Sure hasn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orWCjfUcBTI
>>
>>62898660

That's a bit of marketing, and the Warhammer Community website has only existed for a couple of years, it's not representative of the last two decades.
>>
File: 1512514805979.jpg (81 KB, 1200x848)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
I'm running a WanG game over discord for some friends. We're getting by, but i'd really like a good virtual tabletop so i can at least sketch out rooms. Is there any decent freeware that would work with WanG?
>>
>>62898622
Because it's a Chaos game. It's 3 Chaos SM, a rogue psyker, and a heretek.
>>
>>62898688
Roll20 works for most stuff. If you need maps just grab free ones off the net or sketch some out in a photoshop program like GIMP or something.
>>
>>62898646
>>62898678
>40k hasn't been "tongue-in-cheek" since 1998
Funny, orks still seem to exist, and all of the factions still have the goofy references and fluff.
>>
File: 945.jpg (130 KB, 635x681)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>62898689
Ah, fair enough. I didn't see the "Chaos game" bit in your post.

Please accept this kitten as an apology.
>>
File: 1453079933339.jpg (40 KB, 680x371)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>62898710

>Roll20

is this really, truly, the best option
>>
>>62898758
Is there a problem with Roll20?

If you don't support the developers for some reason, just don't use the pay-for options, which are minimal at best anyway.

Otherwise you're stuck with pirating or paying overpriced sums of money for D&D-focused programs, or paying a handful for Tabletop Simulator.
>>
>>62898758
It's the most commonly used for a reason, anon. Despite the recent drama involving the shitheads running it, no one has yet stepped up to make a better, free to use site.

Pay 2 play options never work because no one ever wants to shunt money to random cunts.
>>
>>62898895
Quite a few where I am. Nearly every black nerd that I've met has tried it and liked it.
>>
File: dreddispol.jpg (359 KB, 823x1278)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>62893658
>>
>>62898724

Orks have been nastied up a lot since the early days though. They still have occasional stupid pratfalls but now they're near enough to Tyranids as a ravening green horde. I mean, just listen to the intro for them in Battlefleet Gothic: Armada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHgu_fBlSjk

Back in the days of the 2nd edition, Orks were relatively mellow, only looking for a good scrap and the fluff even remarked how they could trade with humans. These days, it's constantly hammered at you that that orks only ever trade to turn the guns on the seller.
>>
>>62899172
The biggest Ork is Margaret Thatcher. The smartest ork is "Orkimedes".

This is still well celebrated canon, as opposed to RT era shit like the half-eldar ultramarine librarian.
>>
Jeus christ tier 1 in wang is a shitshow. How are you supposed to make anything
>>
>>62896844
Kirby routinely fights gods of unknowable power he'd do better than anyone in 40k.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LGbIKPo6g
>>
>>62899864
You don't. It's tier 1, that's the point.
>>
>>62899864
Please explain to me how you are supposed to balance something like a Tier 1 Inquisitor without having it conflict with the narrative.
>GM: You are here to investigate a possible genestealer cult.
>T1 Inquisitor: INNOCENCE PROVES NOTHING! KILL THE PLANETARY GOVERNOR!
>>
>>62900064
Inquisitors aren't Tier 1. They're Tier 4. And thus not playable in a T1 game. So your question is moot, because there cannot be a T1 Inquisitor.

>>62899864
T1 in WANG is hard mode, obviously. You get few points and your characters are expendable gits. You're playing Grim Darkness Tier. Also you, y'know, choose a thing to be good at and do that thing, and then the other players choose a thing to be good at and do that thing.
>>
>>62899248
>The biggest Ork is Margaret Thatcher

This is a meme. The guys at GW in an interview literally said it was just putting a bunch of grunts together.
>>
File: 9829_45fc.jpg (38 KB, 501x220)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>62900303
It's based on Black Speech from LotR.
>>
>>62898606
I was under the impression that one can't engage Warp engines at all if you are in the pull of any gravity wells. Isn't that why ships must exit a system before jumping?
>>
File: 1500317721917.jpg (10 KB, 219x230)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>62901198
I think you can engage them within the gravity well of a star, there's no mechanical reason you can't, it's just not good for your life expectancy.

Systems have something called a 'Mandeville Point' which is the closest to the star you can get and """safely""" drop into the warp, it seems to be on the outskirts of most systems, beyond most of the orbiting planets.
>>
>>62900157
Yeah, it's kind of killing me. The GM ran us through a demo game at tier 1 and was confused by why we were constantly on the verge of death. I really wanted to make a character who could use the Devotees quality thing to have some mooks and just be a hedonistic noble who was foisted off into the story to get toughened up, but at this point I'm feeling like I have to make a healbot just to get everyone through the sessions alive.
>>
>>62901544
Pretty sure you can't be a noble for Tier 1, that's Tier 2 fluff at earliest.
>>
>>62901198
>>62901450

I'm willing to bet said 'Mandeville Points' are actually Lagrange Points.
>>
File: Waves_of_the_Warp.jpg (242 KB, 1900x1200)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>62901733
It's been a while since I read the White Scars novels but my memory is of them being referred to as singular i.e. the system's Mandeville point is just any arbritary point 'X' AU from the star where it becomes safe to initiate warp drives.

Not 100% but as far as I remember it didn't sound much like they were Lagrange points, both because of their nature of allowing safe(r) warp translation and because, as mentioned, there only seems to be one per system. Just to me, it makes more science-magic sense that you'd maybe need to be clear of any major gravitational distortion of realspace before trying to punch a whole through reality so having to get high up out of the star's gravity well seems sensible.
>>
>>62901544
Yeah, T1 is rough, because it's supposed to be. You are likely going to need a guy who has Medicae to some degree no matter the game though, because it's just useful.
>>
>>62902203

>Just to me, it makes more science-magic sense that you'd maybe need to be clear of any major gravitational distortion of realspace

That's exactly what Lagrange points are though. Locations where the gravity of two celestial bodies interacts in such a way as to cancel each other out.
>>
>>62902407
Yeah but generally they're still well inside the gravity well of the star itself and as mentioned, the Mandeville point of a system seems to be singular whereas most star systems will have dozens or more Lagrange points.
>>
>>62902488
Nah, it probably works like how Jump Space travel works in Traveller.

They call it the hundred-diameter point, where you have to be a hundred diameters away from any large celestial object so the gravity well doesn't kill you. I assume the Mandeville Point works on a similar principle, but Warp.
>>
>>62902566
>>62902488
>>62902407
>>62902246
>>62902203
>>62901733
>>62901198

You can disengage from the Warp anywhere, it's just riskier to do it close to planets, stars etc. because the distortion caused by that risks you being thrown off course, sliding down the gravity well and crashing on the planet itself, or just being torn apart by tidal forces as you emerge. A skilled and experienced Navigator should be able to appear closer to the target destination than someone who plays it safe and keeps himself at the system edge. I'd say that a Mandeville Point would just be an in-system safe zone that's been surveyed by the astrogators to be reasonably gravitationally neutral.

Really, it's just to provide a reason why spaceships don't just teleport directly down to the planet surface, contriving a situation where they have an in-context explanation for why they're puttering along in realspace and can meet each other for space battles. Adjust the location of your ship to suit.
>>
File: 1534212162383.png (286 KB, 654x599)
286 KB
286 KB PNG
>>
Has anyone done an Only Ork campaign in WANG yet?
>>
I have a player whose character is currently being corrupted by chaos and I wanted to give them two separate lists for their objectives the normal one which would grant the normal amount of wrath and a second more difficult list where they work to undermine and subvert their party members which would would offer more rewards, would it be to powerful if I doubled their wrath or gave them points of glory that only they could use
>>
>>62906790
Probably not a good idea. You honestly shouldn't give them rewards for fucking other PC's over, thats a good way to piss off the entire group really.
>>
Does Wrath and Glory work well with miniatures?
>>
>>62907501
Practically made for using wargame minis.
>>
>>62907533
Honestly I should have just read the rules, but I’ll keep asking stupid questions until someone tells me to shut up. How is movement handled? Does it translate well to table-top? Is there a movement to inches calculator anywhere?
>>
File: WANG bases.png (469 KB, 484x599)
469 KB
469 KB PNG
>>62907580
There is this.
>>
>>62907580
You move meters depending on your species. IIRC Humans move 6, Marines 7, and Eldar 8? So on maps this translates to squares.
>>
>>62907629
>>62907633
Great, thanks anons.
>>
>>62907580
Crack open one of your wargame books and compare to the WANG book.
>>
>>62906184
not yet, but by God I want to
>>
Hey guys, any advice what virtual tabletop system would be good for a wrath and glory game? First time dmming with my friends and I am not sure whether to go for Fantasy Grounds or Roll20
>>
>>62908150
Roll20
>>
>>62908170
are there any W&G modules for roll20?
>>
Does anyone have that drawing of imperial guardsmen drinking coffee in the rain, in front of a Leman Russ? Can't find it anymore
>>
>>62908150
Roll20.
>>
File: recaffchimera.jpg (208 KB, 600x429)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>62908345
>>
File: Spoiler Image (104 KB, 600x874)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>62908345
>>
File: thunderbolt fantasy.webm (1.87 MB, 853x480)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB WEBM
Going to be making a psyker for Only War soon. How can I make him OP using just the core book?
>>
>>62911317
What's wrong with their faces?
>>
>>62911445
They're puppets. This show has very few mouthflaps.
>>
>>62911317
Oddly fitting because Only War psykers get a staff and it's a pain in the ass to requisition gear.
>>
>>62910402
It’s possible to make a picture worse just with text.
>>
Looking to try out Wrath and Glory, with our group going back to an old Rogue Trader game from a long time ago.

I'm looking to try and make Dark Eldar and Kroot archetypes, and was wondering if any of you had done or know of something similar. I'd rather see what others have done before head forward.

Thank you in advance.
>>
>>62913283
Dark Eldar would likely just have some value of Toxin on their weapons, dunno about Archtype abilities though, never was into DE. Basic Kroot would probably get some kind of Stealth bonus Archtype ability
>>
>>62913283
First warning: From an equipment perspective, the Rogue Trader is badly mistiered, because they get a full on voidship at T2. That doesn't mean their archetype bonus is necessarily out of band for T2, though, so this might be tricky to balance; easiest way might be to make the ship not the Trader's outright (e.g. on loan from daddy, who will get mad if it is scuffed), to help mitigate the otherwise massive equipment advantage.

Dark Eldar would be a suite of archetypes for the Eldar species (such as Wych, Kabalite, and Wrack), but Kroot would need their own species definition in addition to archetypes, possibly using Orks as inspiration.
>>
File: 1541658130612.jpg (25 KB, 216x282)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>62913283
Someone has already done a Kroot homebrew.
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B3fifQ6yLuJUVDhLQl9Yb3dFWGs/1_v7eUkJRuxgX10kg_GP486YQ7DkZB2wM/1g-TGmNgtoUsuIJacWj6ZqSYoqNyAl3mP/1c9ycuh8mvokU2j6sOO-JMnuyi6jMW7D0?sort=13&direction=a
>>
>>62913367
>From an equipment perspective, the Rogue Trader is badly mistiered
He really isn't. It's a way to get around, and not too much else. Works as intended.
>>
>>62913623
Wargear: Choice of fl ak coat, carapace armour, or
light power armour. Choice of one ranged weapon
and one melee weapon up to Value Tier+4 (Rare),
Imperial Frigate.

Imperial Frigate
Imperial frigates are swift, flexible craft at home
in any theatre of war, including keeping watch
over crucial warp routes, patrolling the edges of
Imperium space, and scouting beyond the fringe
of Mankind’s hard-won territory,

Cruising Speed 6km; Defence 6; Wounds 9;
Resilience 8 (9)
Systems: Auger Array, Hangar Bay, Supply Vault,
Void Shield (1)
Weapons: Prow Lance Battery (5+1ED; AP -1;
Range 8km, Salvo 2; Penetrating [2])
Dorsal Light Macrocannon (7+2ED, AP 0; Range
4km, Salvo 3; Brutal)
Keyword: Imperium, Imperial Navy

Pages 237 and 324 give you as much detail as you're going to get on the "mechanics" for handling it, but the Rogue Trader starts with the ability to orbitally bombard planetside fortifications which displease him, and the hangar bay allegedly comes stock with both fighters and shuttles, for hitting a target smaller than a fortress.
>>
>>62913786
>but the Rogue Trader starts with the ability to orbitally bombard planetside fortifications which displease him
You actually can't. The book flat out tells you orbital bombardments don't work for shit as they're too inaccurate, unless you take that 40pt talent.
>>
>>62913800
Being too inaccurate to hit a specific point does not mean they're not brutally overpowered. You can run your game however you want, but a Rogue Trader in the party allowed to run wild is going to have a lot of potential to seriously derail your plots without special care and attention.
>>
>>62913830
Oh, and don't forget the following

>what are planetary defenses

Your chance of actually bombarding anything is basically zero unless you're dealing with a world of mud huts.
>>
>>62913846
Now you're assuming things about the plot, which we can't predict this early - there are countless reasons for the planetary defenses to not stop the attack, including both being absent and being friendly, particularly if the planetary governor is displeased with the target. This can be coped with - you can put the evil bad dudes in population centers, for example - but that would be the special attention I just mentioned.
>>
>>62913883
No, I'm assuming a very logical and standard version of the setting, anon. People have defenses for most planets, alien or not. The book tells you flat out bombardments aren't even that accurate to begin with so you're shit out of luck on that front. I know you're trying to argue the ship is some huge advantage, but the book was clearly written with it being the school bus to drive the party around with, not as some all towering all pervasive advantage you think it is, and the game itself is more focused on character interaction than pure ship wars. This isn't Battlefleet Gothic, this is Necromunda, for lack of a better comparison.

Don't get me wrong, it's good. It is an advantage (mostly in that you can choose to go wherever the fuck you want and are not beholden to some NPC transport). And a solid one for several reasons. But you're off your rocker if you think for one second you can just freely run around bombarding anything you set your eye on and that most games aren't going to be set up specifically so you can't just rain hellfire on every planet you come across. It's a T2 Archtype, and with the conceits of the book, a solid one.
>>
>>62913984
I don't know what to tell you, but if you really think you can write plot for a T2 party without specifically working in nerfs to the Rogue Trader's abilities, good luck to you. I've never in my life met a PC party who wouldn't exploit a resource like that for all it's worth. The tens of thousands of crew who view the PC as their sovereign liege lord *alone* is going to be pretty rough for, say, the party's Tempestus Scion to keep up with.
>>
Is there anyone who plays 40K RPG's that don't collect the miniatures ?
I'm thinking on selling my minis and stay with the RPG's only. The miniatures kind of lost the magic to me. I still love reading novels or about the setting. It's just 30K and 40K seems pointless now. Maybe I will just keep some minis as memento.
>>
>>62915096
I used to play 40k at one point. I haven't touched it in a long time though. You might as well keep the minis, selling them will never get you back what you paid, and you might pick it up again some day. If not, you can pass'em down to a kid or something, and in the meantime, use them for the RPG's.
>>
>>62915252
Good advice anon, guess I will just keep it.
>>
>>62914234
Good luck getting them to do anything for you without the Devotees Talent.
>>
>>62914234
The issue is mostly yeah you have a ship, but:

1: Your crew is needed to crew it. You can't just go taking a thousand dudes out of the crew, because they're needed to work your ship. Your crew is also not an invading army, and indeed might rebel if you try to treat them as one. Just because they see you as the lord of the manor doesn't mean these servants are going to go rushing into an Ork horde you pissed off.
2: You can't bombard with it because bombardments are so inaccurate you'll wipe anything you actually care about off the map with it. You won't just erase "that city", you'll wreck the surrounding lands so bad it'll net you nothing but the expenses of lost shells. Atop that, most planets have defenses. You're sorely mistaken if you think you can just whip your dick out and piss wherever you please.
3: A frigate is pretty lightly armed as things go. You'll be swiss cheese if you try and start fights with a real ship-Or with most things in general. You're a merchant ship with some defenses for warding off pirates, you're not a war machine.
>>
File: 1517553476235.png (345 KB, 522x504)
345 KB
345 KB PNG
/40krpg/ how do you, as players or GMs do an Ecclesiarch? Do you just spout random proverbs, or treat them more as clerics, or even as approachable chaplains that exist to strengthen others? Which do you think is more appropriate for the setting?

do you change this attitude with different levels of membership in the Ecclesiarchy? So scribes are more reserved not wanting to over step, or are they loud, and boisterous so as to show their superiors that they proclaim the words of the emperor?

finally, when they exist in a group dynamic, should you adapt them to best suit others, or maintain a rigid character to act as a point of stability and unwavering faith?
>>
>>62916380
If I'm GM? Full insanity.

As a player? Normal PC. Can't be that nuts unless the rest of the PC's are that nuts.
>>
Which sounds better for a fun game with friends, as the GM. Ork Boyz t1 game or Kommandos t2 game? None of us have touched Wrath and Glory before either, but when I learned there were rules for Ork canpaigns I became very interested.

Also, can a party of 3 work?
>>
>>62917920
I'd go with T2. And sure a small party could work, just make sure someone takes Medicae since you'll need it for some amount of healing (unless you want to take 12 hour rests all the time).
>>
File: Priest bless the guns.jpg (419 KB, 900x585)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
>>62916380
>approachable chaplains that exist to strengthen others

I'm partial to this one. The one priest in the Crusade runs a small building called The Last Church, and is tired and overworked, but always tries to listen if anyone has a crisis of faith, offering relevant stories of the Primarchs and the Great Crusade to help assuage crusaders' worries and concerns. He's helped many to reconcile the Imperial Truth with the Imperial Creed, and become stronger soldiers for it, though everyone takes different things away from it.

Two characters, for example, had doubts. To one player he told the story of the Solar War, and the player was strengthened by this, as he felt that faith could push him to do better. Another felt angry, vengeful, and was told the story of Monarchia. Experiences are customized to the player, but the core is always there.
>>
How does one balance NPC's in WanG?

In FFG's rpg's it felt easy but in WanG I don't understand it. Likely due to the fact that I'm not used to WanG yet but...any hard-and-fast rules that's good for giving a baseline for balance?
>>
>>62918060
Depends on your group and their Tier. Read the beastiary section.
>>
>>62918060
I've found the most important things keep an eye on is their wounds (health) defence (how hard they are to hit in my tier 2 game atm I keep it around 3-4) how big there dicepool is for skill checks and most importantly resilence (how much damage they can absorve)

This stat you really wanna keep an eye on cause if it's too high then it will be very difficult for your players to damage them as all WANG weapons do a set amount of damage with the potential for bonus damage with extra dice (I.E. PC's all have weapons that do 10+1ED but your npc has 16 resilence it'll be a pain in the ass to fight)
>>
File: download (6).jpg (18 KB, 323x156)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
The Return of the Obra Dinn came out a few weeks ago and in my opinion, It's excellent. The core gameplay loop is using a magic stopwatch to relive the moment of each NPC's death and deduce who did the killings through various clues.

Now, I'm thinking I'd love to run a Dark Heresy oneshot following this premise, except change that magic stopwatch for a Psynicience psyker where the PCs have to relive the moment of death for each member of a cultist gang, deduce what killed them and who was left alive to follow up and confront as the Big Bad.

Does this sound like an interesting premise? If you can think of any advice on running such a session, let me know.
>>
>>62908184
You need API Access (aka Pro sub) in order for the existing W&G sheet to output correctly. Unless another sheet has popped up when I wasn't looking.
>>
>>62916380
the weirder the better. generally when I GM my ministorum priests and ecclesiarchs are the firebrand, covered-in-holy-scripture tattoo fundamentalists. With frequent and often holy catechisms that really drive home what a giant nutjob the Emperor's Church is.
>>
>>62879739

So does anyone have any fuel leaks on the imperial half's 40k rules of BSF? I've seen all of the antagonists, but only like 2 of the imperials.
>>
for my next 40k campaign I have no idea if I want to keep going with dark heresy line of books (DH, RT, only war, death watch) or go to Wrath and glory, when is WoG's next update? like is it going to get more then just that one book?
>>
>>62922556
Might as bridge over to WANG now. And yes, it's going to get new books.
>>
>>62922556
>WoG
Now you're just using racial slurs, instead of kindegarten humour. Upgrade!

Wait for the imperial campaign book. It'll support all the imperial stuff.
>>
File: 1540854385239.png (38 KB, 318x472)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>
File: 1539435123857.jpg (8 KB, 198x195)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>62908184
Not a module, but on YouTube you can find a short guide on how to sort out a dice roller for wang using tables and pictures
>>
Sorry if I'm being a 'tard, but does anyone have a decent size map of the Koronus Expanse? The one google gives me is kind of shit quality
>>
>>62929074
I googled it too, but told google to show only large ones, and to show me sizes, and scrolled until I found a fuckhuge one. Is this good enough?

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/8706/assets/393592/Koronus_Expanse_Map.jpg?1416520104
>>
>>62929279
That ought to do it. Thanks man
>>
>>62911317
Which psychic powers are the best?
>>
Hypothetic question, if I wanted to run a "Chaos" marine game, with character that aren't really into chaos but still "vilain" (like some Night lords warbands of Alpha legion are (or are they ?)) baiscly a renegade campaign; should I use Deatwatch (but it wouldn't make much sense considering they wouldn't get any Imperial toy) or Black Crusade while cutting all the chaosy stuff ?
>>
>>62932793
The answer is WANG. Use WANG.
>>
>>62932793
I agree, use your WanG.
>>
File: 1541408835319.jpg (100 KB, 800x782)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>
So Im doing a minor planet, need some help.
It's a mining colony of 5 billion people on a planet with an average temp of -20°C/-4F and only underground water (surface is almost barren)
ECONOMY
Mining (Ytterbium), Mineral Processing/Chemical Industries, Laser Machinery/Doping, Light Industry

EXPORTS (by quantity - value):
47% - Pure Ytterbium - 22%
31% - Rare Earth Minerals (Xenotime, Euxenite) - 7%
9% - Light Machinery - 16%
5.5% - Ytterbium-doped Lasguns - 14%
4% - Ytterbium-powered Laser machinery 12%
3.3% - Ytterbium Halides - 8%
0.2% - YbRh2Si2 (heavy fermion) - 21%

IMPORTS (by quantity - value):
43% - Food - 7%
21% - Light Machinery - 18%
8.6% - Transportation Equipment - 9%
7.1% - Heavy Machinery - 12%
5.3% - Administratum and Mechanicus Services - X
5% - Mineral Fuels - 3%
4.7% - High Tech Equipment - 15%
3% - Entertainment/Media - 1%
2.3% - Medical Equipment - 14%
>0.1% - Rhodium - 21%

how does this economy look?
>>
>>62887970
>Im gonna fuck that Eldar
>>
>>62936200
For what purpose.
>>
>>62898499
Someone made a quickguide, I think
>>
>>62898606
There are no nids in Wang
>>
>>62936337
Yes there are. There are 'Nids in my WanG.
>>
It's for a sector I'm fleshing out. We're gonna use it with a friend for a themed store campaign and I might use it for DH, yes I'm a sperg.
>>
>>62936200

Does all of this information actually contribute to your campaign in any way? I'm all for detail but this balance-of-trade down to a tenth of a percent on individual elements seems utterly irrelevant to the context of a campaign.

"This world is barren and freezing but despite the inhospitable climate it is heavily settled and industrialised; it supports a population of billions (how? Dense hives like Necromunda, scattered cities like our own world, giant land-carrier moving open-cast mining platforms, etc.?) exporting high-value elements, rare minerals. It is also known as centre for manufacturing both military and civilian/industrial lasers. Its poor ecology means that it has to import most of its food"

Unless you're specifically wanting your party to identify anomalies on trade patterns as part of an investigation (this planet exports Ytterbium so why does this manifest show a cargo full of manganese? They must be fencing something) then all the percentages don't add any value.
>>
>>62936547
>>62936313
>>
>>62936565
Most of it is filler that would make logical sense, but there are a few important things buried here.
Ytterbium is found in small quantities in various minerals, so transport is very inefficient, thus most processing is done on the planet.
The most important of these is the creation of YbRh2Si2 an immensely powerful superconductor whose manufacture and shipping are closely guarded.
The catch is that Rhodium is required for it's production which is by far rarer. Numerous mafia organisations, pirates and heretics covet this resource which is supplied to the planet by the same heavily escorted convoys that export the super-conductor.
Lots of potential plothooks here

Ytterbium can also be used to "dope" lasers and many enterprising merchants stop by to improve their weaponry, which the Munitorum is starting to eye up. The planet is however under Mechanicus influence, so there's bound to be trouble in the future.

As for the way people live/settlements are made, I have some more lore (basically everyone mostly lives in caves and relies on geothermal heat, only coming out on the long summer days that last several terran months).
>>
File: 61d.jpg (115 KB, 623x414)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
Group has shown interest in a hive gang campaign, where to start?

System would be DH 2e. I'm thinking I would have it take place on Desoleum or Necromunda, but I'm not sure how I would go about setting up a sandbox in the underhive. How would the hive be arranged, geographically? What would be good incentives I could place for them to pursue? I've considered drugs, archaeo/xenotech, the favor of the Consortium/Great Houses, but am otherwise stuck.
>>
>>62879739
I have a request: a while back, someone had posted a long breakdown of how a Space Marine could dual wield Earthshaker cannons shoulder mounted with six men carried along to load, aim, and shoot them both. Does anyone have that copy-pasta to share?
>>
>>62890290
It has shit for fluff neither is it even a little grim dark. In the Psyker disciplines section they don't even describe the different disciplines.
>>
>>62940334
>neither is it even a little grim dark

40k stopped being grimdark years ago
>>
>>62940655
You mean 8e. Which isnt a few years old.
>>
>>62940334
>neither is it even a little grim dark
Try a T1 game, theres all the grim darkness you'll ever need.
>>
File: 1539460219569.jpg (76 KB, 288x402)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
We have a source in the OP for making sector maps, but does anyone have helpful resources for making a single-planet map? Say, one that looks like the one from the old Armageddon campaign books, or maybe even one of those newer space view things with all the busy text and lines like you're viewing it through an auspex.
>>
>>62941228
No thanks. The lack of fluff, SJW themes, and bare bones background information turned me off from it.
>>
>>62941767
>lack of fluff
Yeah man, that 30+ years of Warhammer fluff just doesn't exist and totally isn't easy to read.
>>
>>62941785
So why should I play WanG instead of sticking with my old books that has the 30 years of fluff?
>>
>>62941801
Better system and rules to go with that fluff, anon. The FFG games are as balanced as a 1 legged man on a rollerskate shoved down an icy slope into the middle of a minefield, and their actual resolution mechanics are slow, ridiculously exploitable, and incredibly swingy.
>>
>>62941872
But my group and I have played FFG for many years and have very little problems with it. I see no reason to switch until Wang has more material to work with.
>>
>>62885427
Woah. I thought you got hit by a car. Glad you are still alive.
>>
>>62890789
I hope you've talked with all your players and found them to be ok with baddies unleashing power that takes control of the PCs away from the players.
>>
>>62911317
>>62911445
That's some impressive pupped/doll work.
But yeah puppets and dolls don't have much facial animation,
>>
File: 1408235838805 eldar.jpg (83 KB, 800x640)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>62941906
If it's working for you then stay with it.

I'm glad it's working for you.
>>
>>62936821
>Most of it is filler that would make logical sense, but there are a few important things buried here.

I love that.
>>
>>62941906
Pretty much. If you're not butthurt over d100, and you don't automatically prefer WanG before there's more supporting material, then there's little to no reason to change.
>>
>>62942444

i mean, there is also the fact that the game creaks and snaps under it's own weight if you try to play anything more advanced than starting dark heresy characters.
>>
>>62936380
> 'nids in my WanG...
Hadn't you better get that treated?
>>
>>62896844
kelly, with plot armor on, he is the equivalent to the Emperor.
>>
>>62942510
That's a matter of perspective and opinion. WanG isn't for everyone.
>>
>>62897899
>expected to be released and dispatched in Q4 2018
Still no date. Was orignally September.
>>
>>62936821
Don't forget to translate this before the PCs see it - WH40K is fantasy in space more than it is scifi, and engineers are basically a kind of wizard, with balkanized knowledge deliberately kept in arcane knowledge silos, and even the wizards barely *understand* - they specialize in rote memorization of their version of spells.

That means it's unlikely anyone on the planet knows the word "Ytterbium" - even less likely than "superconductor", which they're unlikely to know. This is more appropriate to the WH40k universe:

"Planet Kaffeklubben is known for a variety of rare metals mined on and exported from its guts, especially Kaffeklubbenium, which can used in the production of high-end lasers (accordingly, the planet also has some light manufacturing of mining-grade and military-grade las weapons)." Meanwhile, there's going to be a bare handful of techpriests on the planet, each of which has memorized the Rites of Kaffklubbenium by rote, which can be used to recognize it on an auspex, properly build into a las emitter, etc - but absolutely 0% of them understand why or how what they're doing improves the laser, or why Kaffekulbbenium is better than inferior supplies from elsewhere in the galaxy. They know that they do X, Y, and Z, and usually it gets the result they want.
>>
>>62911317
Nothing?
>>
>>62944963
Excellent points. I know I tend to take too ""rational"" (big quotes) approaches to 40k, so I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>62936200
>>62944963
>Planet Kaffeklubben
>Planet Coffee Club
...While really goofy to me, I suppose my names aren't much better. Run something appropriately ominous through Google Translate and hope it sounds scary.
>>
I'm running Rogue Trader via the DH2e ruleset, and the psyker is asking about Favoured by the Warp.

Your opinion on going with the new wording
>Roll once, if it isn't Perils roll again and choose
or the old
>Roll twice and choose
?
>>
>>62945374
Lol that's just the name of the picture I used in my original post which shows Kaffeklubben island
>Kaffeklubben Island or Coffee Club Island is a small island lying off the northern tip of Greenland. It contains the northernmost point of continental land on Earth. It received its name, after the coffee club in the University of Copenhagen Geological Museum.
I was thinking of naming the planet Kadowa IV after the Kadowaki-Woods ratio. Though now that you mention it, naming one of the major megacities after the island seems like a fun idea.
>>
Fucking Meltas, how do they work?
Half the sources have them shoot a beam of superheated fluid that melts the target (so, a plasma, technically...), the other half have them fire some kind of intangible beam that microwaves the target from inside.

And that the two main trends, there's a dozen minor variations between depictions.
>>
>>62947938
'Melta' is a weapon class. Maybe the Aquintas-Pattern Melta Gun comes from a planet known for large amounts of flammable liquid compounds while the Galvin-Pattern Melta is from a Forge world that has an STC fragment for industrial radiation inductors and they weaponized them.

It's like how some plasma guns in 40k shoot green plasma and some shoot blue.
>>
>>62945440
The old ruling allowed the Astropath to go a little too ham when it came to power use.
>>
File: unknown-1.png (152 KB, 1366x768)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
Still have 14 satellites to go,any idea?
>>
>>62947938

"Melta Gun" is a generic term. It's like if you asked here on our world "what's an assault rifle?" and were given a list of a hundred different firearms from the AK47 to the M16 by way of the SCAR and SA80. On a million worlds over 10,000 years there are a variety of methods that achieve the similar end of cooking the target; some are tight-beam high-intensity flamers, others are maser cannons. I prefer the microwave-gun version of the melta because as you say it's something more distinct from a plasma gun, but do what fits for your setting.
>>
>>62950325

If this is a heavily-populated planet, how about a moon that's used as a holding pen for the planet's psykers? An airless moon with a few starbases where they're imprisoned. After being captured in witch hunts they're ferried up and kept in isolation up there until the Blackships arrive on their circuit and can pick up a new crop of psykers for sanctioning/Astropath training/gobbling up by the Big E. While it might be dangerous having a lot of psykers in one place, the reasoning is that if bad Warp juju does go down it will be effectively quarantined in space and not affect the population on the planet (and if it all goes tits-up they can at least just open all the airlocks and vent it all into space). It also provides a clear place of interest and intrigue that the Inquisition would have a specific interest in.
>>
>>62947938
The traditional (ie: only one that matters, the rest are bullshit and canon only in the sense of 'everything in 40k ever written is canon' nonsense they spew out) melta is a microwave gun. You point it at something, there is a sudden, immense heat, a wooshing sound, and then whatever's hit is vaporized, reduced to ash or scorched and melted, depending on how resistant it is.
>>
>>62950985
That's unlikely, because microwave guns are great for heating water, and shit for heating not-water, which is deeply not how meltaguns work. They are great, however, for bursting capillaries in humans, causing agony, and if you hold the trigger down, blindness, which is why some countries on Earth right now arm their riot squads with microwave guns.
>>
>>62950325
That means they have a lot of greenhouses. A LOT. A satellite whose only job is greenhouses makes sense - possibly more than one.
>>
>>62950325

Is this the same planet as >>62936200 ?

Maybe a small moon that is reserved by the Imperial Navy as a target range. There's a Mechanicus outpost and factory complex on the surface which spends time constructing cities and bunkers across the surface precisely so they can get destroyed in orbital bombardment target practice, or fought through by void-suited ship security performing decompression and low-gravity combat exercises.

It's a miserable place filled with shattered follies, built only to be knocked down again, that seem a monument to futility. The AdMech need a large population of servitors to trundle across the moon and build and repair the training grounds, and sometimes instead of being executed criminals are lobotomised, rendered into servitors and condemned to labour there, which is seen as especially horrifying by the population.
>>
>>62950919
It would make more sense, partially because it would be much stupider/grimderpier, to just have a prison satellite doing multiple duties, with cells for psykers, cells for people who looked at the governor's daughter's butt, etc, leading inevitably to a hotbed of cult activity.
>>
>>62951088

Maybe a semi-terraformed moon whose surface has been scraped and fused by lasers into a mirror-shine so it becomes a sort of giant natural SUNSAT that reflects enough light onto the surface to warm it up and sustain some agriculture?
>>
>>62951052
>That's unlikely, because microwave guns are great for heating water, and shit for heating not-water
Except 40k is science fiction, anon. Heavy on the fiction. It works because it's essentially magic super science.
>>
>>62951146

It's science fantasy. Anything unexplained is attributed to "Magic" or "The Dark Gods."
>>
>>62951146
That is the opposite of science fiction, and while WH40K *is* fantasy, it's still a plot hole to claim it's microwaves and have it act nothing like microwaves. Because of the fantasy, you can fill said plot hole with phlobenium, but you do have to fill it.

So yes, meltaguns could have magic in them and shoot magic. That's fine. It's NOT fine claiming they shoot perfectly normal microwaves that inexplicably act nothing like perfectly normal microwaves.
>>
>>62951183

Godzilla had "Maser Guns", I always figured they were kind of like that.
>>
>>62951183
>>62951230
>>62951146
>>62951052
>>62950985
>>62950826
>>62948098
>>62947938

If you look at a picture of a melta gun, it clearly has some sort of fuel cannister on the side. That to me would imply it is a chemical weapon, not a microwave gun.
>>
>>62950325

A moon that's a giant breaker's yard. Wrecked spaceships are towed to and deliberately crash-landed onto it so they can be salvaged for parts, as having at least some sort of gravity to hold all the bits down was judged to be better than dismantling them in orbital freefall.

-Lots of AdMech interest (dolorous mourning of the passing of great machine spirits)

-lots of criminal interest (workers falsifying reclamation records and smuggling out valuable components),

-lots of heretic interest (a rebel faction sneaks on board a wreck and tries to alter the boosters so the ship drops on the planet instead of the moon. Your party has to board the wreck, survive its gaping chasms and fight the heretics off against a time limit before the boosters fire).

-Lots of Ordo Xenos interest (there were some Ur-Ghuls lurking between decks all this time who are now wandering around a smeltery being very confused and snacking on workers).
>>
>>62947938

To my knowledge, visual media has more consistently shown melta guns as "shotgun blasts" of fusion energy. This is in line with their fluff description and their equivalence to Eldar "fusion guns."

A couple games had meltas work via continuous streams of energy, but to my knowledge the devs have confirmed those were for balance reasons (such as in Eternal Crusade).
>>
>>62951089

Criminals becoming servitors is pretty much par for the course in 40k.
>>
>>62951230

That looks more like arc weaponry. Wouldn't concentrated microwaves be great at fucking up electronics, too?
>>
>>62951230
That would be volkite or gauss weapons, I think.

>>62951260
I agree, though it could be some sort of power supply. it really looks like a mini melta bomb, too, and I don't see how those could work as 360° microwave emitters.
>>
File: meltagun.jpg (739 KB, 1112x1352)
739 KB
739 KB JPG
>>62947938
>>
>>62951260
Hydrogen maser.
>>
File: moons.png (104 KB, 1231x626)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
Thanks for all the returns, really managed to add some cool things with your help. I'll upload a pdf of the entire planet fact sheet here when I eventually finish if anyone wants to take a look.
>>62950919
>>62951116
>If this is a heavily-populated planet
It has a population of about 5 billion people, but the idea of a moon prison is too metal to pass by.
>>62951088
The planet isn't lacking in space, but this isn't a bad idea.
>>62951089
nice and grimderp, but sadly this planet is a bit in ass-crack nowhere sector since it doesn't even have a proper space-port and must use it's main moon to transfer cargo to the surface. Definitely keeping the idea for when I'm doing a big hive world or gas giant, because teh idea itself is great.
>>62951137
Too bright, let's make it a failed project.
>>62952366
This is going in.
>>
>>62936337
but at there nods in wong?
>>
>>62941785
>totally isn't easy to read
I think people born after '95 can't read at all. I remember someone asking about youtube tutorials for rogue trader chargen. That seems to be a common trend because those people can't really comprehend the rules and need something dumbed down to their level to have a chance of understanding what they are supposed to do. No jab intended at wang (well, maybe a bit), but while FFGs rules aren't a peak example of RPG design, I think the reason why wang ruleset is so robust is because zoomers just can't read or comprehend a sentence longer than a meme-filled tweet.
>>
>>62879739
I still say that FFG missed a HUGE opportunity by never releasing a standalone RPG where you play as Orks. Yes I am aware that RT had Ork Freebooters, but that was just one Ork subtype. It would have been fun to play everything from a painboy, to a mechboy to a wierdboy and include different stats for the clans.
>>
>>62947938
Frankly all 40k weapons would benefit from a paragraph of technical explanation. This way we wouldn't get weapons that operate on similar principles but look completely different and have unrecognizable names. Unlike the early days where everyone had the same flamers and plasma guns.
And authors would clean up their act.

But I guess it's unavoidable, given GW's current tendency to make unique weapons for every unit, resulting in plasma talons and mauler bolters with barely different statlines.
>>
>>62954400
Just how much of the entire 40k RPG playing base would have been interested in a game about playing as orks?
>>
>>62954431
>benefit

Remember when they did that and we got "WW2 tanks are better than Land Raiders" and "autocannon shells hit with the force of a nuclear explosion" type of shit?

>resulting in plasma talons and mauler bolters with barely different statlines.

It's almost like there's more than one way to skin a cat.
>>
>>62954512
I kinda remember that, wasn't it due to them using the word 'equivalent' or something when comparing armor composition and thickness?
>>
>>62954331

Simple isn't always worse, not that you were necessarily implying it. My group had fun with FFG's 40k, but we were always looking up rules or being reminded of stuff due to the partial overlap of the game lines. By contrast, we rarely need to look anything up in WanG - though admittedly, when we do, it can be a pain in the ass to find.

Chargen was always simple shit, though, so I don't know where people complaining about that come from. It's not like either system is Mutants & Masterminds.
>>
>>62954530
95mm of LR armour was equivalent to 300mm of conventional steel. People read it as RHA and ran off with it. Seeing that the text used plenty of 40k terms, I assume it's conventional steel for the 40k universe, which would probably be plasteel, since it's used in pretty much everything. Russ armour is made up of plasteel and ceramite, similar to Terminators.
>>
>>62954433

They're a meme pushed by a vocal minority. Literally every time an ork game is mentioned, it's either Black Crusade but with Orks, or trying to be the next Deffwotch. There's no real need for ork focused stuff.
>>
>>62954249

5 billion people is still plenty of people to fill a prison planet. 2M out of 300M in the USA are impirsoned (rounding down!), extrapolate that to 5Bn and you've got about 33M convicts.
>>
>>62954221
You realize that 4th Edition and Inquisitor versions (and the others) don't work on the same principles at all? That's a "whatever, take you pick" selection.

>>62954512
You don't have to put numbers into it, just tell how it works. Hammer's Slammers is a great example of that. It doesn't get stuck in absurd details, but you know what those pieces of gear can and can't do. And that goes a long way into creating an enjoyable world and making the characters interact with it.
Otherwise you get backflipping termies and and bolters that work like machineguns instead of automatic gyrojet GLs.

>It's almost like there's more than one way to skin a cat.
When you're trying to make a balanced game or simply a steamlined one, multiplying profiles without rhyme or reason isn't a good idea.
Those aren't weapons with fun rules opening new tactical possibilities, but often barely tweaked variants with +1S or +4" range. In the end you get a list of undistinguishable profiles where you can hardly keep track of everything (even moreso with the errata), instead of a range of meaningful and recognizable weapons.
No historical skirmish game would make ten different ww2 smg profiles with +1RoF or -2" range. That's bonkers.

FFG fell into the same trap with their books, making their armory a mess with a handful of OP items standing head and shoulders above the grey mass of the rest.
>>
>>62954867
>That's a "whatever, take you pick" selection.

Or "here's all the sources I can find talking about how this shit works and all say 'microwaves' but one."

Munitorum Manual, I believe, says there's two types of meltaguns, ones which use microwaves and the other create a fusion reaction in the gun and vent the heat out the front. I guess that's why Eldar and Tau have fusion weapons instead of meltas.

>multiplying profiles without rhyme or reason isn't a good idea.

Weren't you complaining that two different guns had too similar profiles?

>No historical skirmish game would make ten different ww2 smg profiles with +1RoF or -2" range. That's bonkers.

Depends on how deep you want to get into the rules. An M3 grease gun is not going to be the same as an M/31 Suomi. Just like how a game can have stats for different types of swords.
>>
What do you guys do when you are mapping out a 3d space? I'm trying to map out a dungeon inside of a space hulk and I'm having some difficulty getting started.
>>
>>62956816
Start with a basic outline of the total area and make levels.
>>
File: Spirit_Temple_Map.png (401 KB, 716x758)
401 KB
401 KB PNG
>>62956816

Levels, like the maps in Legend of Zelda.
>>
>>62938499
I've had two campaigns heavily feature Hive planets, and it can be quite challenging.

The first was an OW campaign sort of refluffed as military police/SWAT after the oathcog system of Desoleum collapsed. Lots of riots, a convoluted mystery following pro-laborer terrorists, and stingy quartermasters were exacerbated by everyone being either playing or being a moron. The plot itself was intricate and interesting, but with high fatality rates, no one character ever managed to really understand what was going on.

The other is what I'm DMing right now. My RT group ended up wildly off course and, having just barely cleared the "ship is lost to the Warp, everyone dies" result, I grasped at straws and said they dewarped in the Askellion sector. Since arriving, they restocked supplies, got strong-armed into helping the Inquisition deal with a ganger/mutant migration from the Underhive. They saw some dark shit but did well, so the Inquisition's given them a week to clear out before the executions start, which they're using to throw an investor's ball, hoping for patronage on the journey back to the Koronus Expanse.
>>
>>62938499
>>62958309

To answer your questions more specifically:

Desoleum is a sprawling pyramid, hollow but built around a central spire. I believe Necromunda is similar, sans spire, and follows a similar "rich at the top, poorer as you head down" format.

If your party is all gangers, I'd start the first few missions as mundane but vital stakes. Controlling a hab-block that consistently has clean water, kidnapping a rival gang's famed chirurgeon, or heisting a shipment of weapons from a local spaceport are all solid introductions. Drugs should be around, but use them sparingly -- most gangers smoke lho-sticks, for instance, but obscura dens are pretty much the only place you see obscura users. Archeotech, unless they jump a noble, should probably be more plot-powerful than personally powerful (a smuggled Voidship component they accidentally "acquire" gives more of a plot hook than an ancient, fancy handgun).

Xenotech and the attention of the Great Houses or equivalent should be off the table for quite some time. One is likely to draw Inquisitorial attention (a decent way of introducing that, if you're trying to get them conscripted as acolytes), and the other assumes they'll be seen as anything more than scum, which is unlikely.
>>
>>62956816
When making 3D maps, remember the distance between each level if it is possible to shoot between them or if someone jumps or climbs or whatever.
>>
>>62960837
You should also have an idea of the thickness of the intervening floor/ceiling and how difficult it is to break/blast through, since PCs have a habit of trashing their surroundings...
>>
File: 1522692857241.jpg (16 KB, 238x255)
16 KB
16 KB JPG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.