[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: it will not die!.png (668 KB, 854x884)
668 KB
668 KB PNG
my army can beat up your army! edition

>Latest Rules:
https://mega.nz/#F!D2BBiSrI!rAl5yX-1ai0D32lJZ6ZnEQ
>Other resources (Check contents so we can finally merge both megas into one drive with all the stuff)
https://mega.nz/#F!V2xRFIiL!vv7xwUAFnPFxLrmtrxiSXg
https://mega.nz/#F!dKolERIZ!e-uJOEhlCS0ZWQ39yaHSNg
https://github.com/BSData/middle-earth
>Need the following PDFs
There and Back Again
Battle Companies
>Army Builder & Community
https://pastebin.com/5QfkeC3e
>>
>>62903425
What would you call that weapon, a club?
>>
>>62903716
it's clearly a shillelagh
>>
>>62902786
I usually only take 3 hero's at 750
>>
>>62903716
>>
>>62904407
That muh boi is a staff.
>>
>>62903878
Celeborn, Rumil, and Haldir would be pretty solid at 750. The trio would come out to 320 or so once you've purchased equipment, which leaves enough to buy full warbands for all three.

Warband 1 (315)
>Celeborn (Heavy Armor, Shield, Elven Blade)
>Galadhrim Warriors (Shield, Spear) x15

Warband 2 (230)
>Haldir (Elven Cloak, Bow)
>Wood Elf Warrior (Bow) x10
>Wood Elf Sentinel x2

Warband 3 (205)
>Rumil
>Galadhrim Warrior (Shield) x12
>>
>>62904681
>>62904407
I know, I just wanted to use the pic.
also undying is imo the best non-WK Nazgul, dark marshal is pretty good but if you get kardush and another caster with him it's just near endless will
>>
What's everyone working on?
>>
>>62905131
Going to bed now. To lazy to get up but;

ISENGARD
>>
>>62905014
Drop the sentinels for a banner and another archer.
>>
File: gloyperndel.png (527 KB, 1500x1500)
527 KB
527 KB PNG
>be born one of the highest elves
>get to be part of first age /noldor/ but don't even kinslay
>become one of the head captains of gondolin because lmao
>evacuate everyone when they fuck up the secret
>die fighting off fucking balrogs and have an eagle personally come to bring my body to be buried
>bro out with god for a while
>when I get bored come back to life
>BTFO the witch-king and doom him to die a meme death with magic prophesy powers lmao
>then destroy angmar because why not
>protect Rivendell and become the most esteemed elvish warrior in middle-earth
>use priceless, irreplaceable gems as random roadside tokens
>fight off the greatest servants of evil nonchalantly, they're too afrain to even fight unless they have a nine-to-one numbers advantage
>still win tho lmao
>stop those fags from killing some midgets and take part in the most important, secretive counsel of the third age
>plan on how to destory all evil by sending an elite team to cast the ring of power into mt doom
>don't even go cause I'll dab on everyone else and be too good
>don't even help in any of the tantamount fights of the war of the ring cause it's just boring
based glorfindel, how will nazgul ever recover
>>
>>62905014
>50 points spent on sentinels
noooooooo

replace both of them with wood elf archers, trade haldir's cloak for heavy armor, give one of celeborn's warriors a banner
>>
>>62905436
>only F7
>>
>>62905436
what priceless stones
>>
>>62905837
Aragorn figured out that Glorfindel was in town when he found some unique elf-synthesized gemstones in the dirt. Later Glorfindel admitted to leaving them behind on purpose.
>>
>>62906987
He didn't know it was Glorfindel specifically and he didn't even know if it was a friendly sign or if it meant that him and the hobbits were in even more danger than they already were.
>>
Me and my group want to jump back in Lotr with Battle companie. Any thought or recommandation on the official book or rather fan rules like this one?

https://www.dchobbitleague.com/uploads/4/5/9/3/45938835/battle-companies-2016-1.pdf
>>
>>62905121
Knight of umbar is a nice way of countering op heroes
>>
>>62905436

>be part of the fellowship initially
>author of my story decides Legolas literally who will take my place instead

KEKED
>>
>>62907399
Until you encounter
>Generic Captain
>3 Bezerkers
Ded
>>
>>62907247
My buddy and I have been enjoying the official rules. The most important thing is that if there is only two of you, you'll want to have more than one Company each to play, even if you have to proxy, so that your not just smashing the same dozen dudes against each other.

There is also some slight weirdness with the new rule set, since they changed what heroic actions are default. We haven't really come up with a good solution to that.
>>
>>62905131
Shire and lake town.
>>
>>62905436
Glorfindel is just some random elf who lied about being reincarnated and everyone believed him, so much so that the nazgul actually suck against him.

He is a elf placebo.
>>
Hey /MESBG/
Has anyone had any multiplayer games how do they work out?
>>
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/11/08/7th-nov-the-scouring-of-stirlingshire-2018-the-results-are-infw-homepage-post-2/
>>
>>62911045
Sauron isn’t OP-
Also, what point level are they playing at?

>>62910079
They’re a lot of fun, 2 300pt-350pt armies or something like that allow for a nice variety of models and tactics to go into the game, and of course more friends is more fun.
>>
>>62911235
Those first two Sauron matches were just bad luck for his opponents. The player using Radagast's Alliance seems to have had gotten shit on by his dice; he went all in on a big charge with his eagles and subsequently lost all his combats. Fog of War is just a bad scenario for Rohan in a Barad-dûr match up. Rohirrim will probably want to evade Sauron while they harry the rest of his army, but it's hard to commit when you don't know what your opponent's objectives are.
>>
>>62911235
750. It's says at the beginning of the article.
>>
>>62905131
Orcs.
It's always orcs.
>>
>>62911045
Cool armies.
>>
Wasn't somebody looking for ideas for trees last thread?
Not sure what exactly it is, but the crow here is made of some kind of plant material.
>>
>>62911818
Also, doesn't Radagast have to be your leader? That's basically an auto-lose in lords of battle.
>>
>>62913462
oooh i like this a lot.
>>
>>62914682
iirc, gwaihir is a hero of legend which means he can (and should) be your leader in 90% of scenarios
>>
Is having the Army of the Dead frowned upon?
>>
File: 1541446195081.jpg (40 KB, 438x237)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>62915793
No.
>>
>>62915793
Not really, no. Some lists struggle against D8 and Blades of the Dead, but you only have three profiles and severely limited options for alliances. You'll also be outnumbered by anything besides a monster mash or wraith spam, and only have a single Might point until you can afford Aragorn. It's a niche list for sure, but running it isn't a WAAC move that people will resent.

>>62915660
Gwaihir is indeed a hero of legend.
>>
>>62915793
Not at all.
>>
>>62915793
Just to jump in and agree with everyone else, no. The list isn't bad, but it has some incredibly severe limitations until you start getting into the really large games. No one's gonna have it out for you just because you main Dunharrow.
>>
>>62913462
I was yes. I love melón tress. Very cool.
>>
>>62915793
No. why would it be?
>>
>>62917204
Mellyrn trees. Mellon is the word for friend.
>>
>>62915793
No, adding to it would make you closer to a WAACfag than the opposite.
not by much really anyway.
the dead are a tool, not really a complete army, in fact i think they used to be a part of the fiefdoms way back and there they made sense as a tool in a tool kit rather than a lone hammer
>>
>>62915954
>Gwaihir is indeed a hero of legend.
I want him so bad.
>>
>>62919993
Yeah, he is probably my next fw purchase
>>
>>62919382
Thanks my water mellon
I don't speak elvish.
>>
How many points is Sauron riding a Smaug?
>>
>>62920449
Smaug is 750 or 700
sauron is 400? (idk)

He can't ride Smaug so the answer is 0.

The books are in the OP man.
>>
>>62920360
It's never too late to learn!
>>
>>62920832
I love LOTR but I only passed HS Foriegn language because my teacher liked me.

I got lucky and took "sustainability" and that counted as my Foriegn language in college.

I don't want to learn; that being said I did realize after I had posted that I used the word for friend not tree and I felt like an idiot.

Mai Govania (my spelling of the elvish phrase of greeting, what Aragorn says to Haldir at helms deep.)
>Mae govannen
>>
>>62921348
Wat
>>
do y'all think sauron and thuringwethil banged?
>>
>>62922868
Now I do.
>>
>>62922868
>>62923041
Probably gets mighty lonely on the Isle of Werewolves
>>
>>62922868
Yeah.

I would. BTGG.
>>
>>62923123
>specifically and repeatedly mentions that Sauron has werewolves in his service
>we never see a werewolf and don't have rules for it
why does it hurt bros
>>
>>62923615
I thought sauron was a werewolf
>>
>>62911818
I think it was bad luck in the match ups more so than the scenarios or dice. Sauron + orc spam will crush most all hero/monster lists, which is what both of those were.

The Rohan army was all heroes. It had no chance vs a Sauron list, because he can fight all of those heroes together and win pretty easily.

The eagles match up is a similar situation, but not quite as bad. Eagles surrounding Sauron with Gwaihir calling a heroic strike would be able to take down Sauron pretty quickly, but monsters have a rough time bringing down hordes, so with the rest of the list being orc spam, Sauron can take down the eagles 1 at a time, and the orcs are likely to take down the rest. 40 or so orcs aren't going down quickly to Beorn, Gwaihir, and 3 eagles. Radaghast on foot doesn't really make sense to bring for that army, and does nothing vs Sauron + orc spam. Hard to bring down some ~48 orcs with that when sauron is going around killing an eagle every turn and the rest are surrounded in combat.

Also... it seems the tournament was actually 800 points, because all the lists in the pictures are 775-800 points. The eagles list is 800 exactly.
>>
>>62921348
>I don't want to learn
That's too bad. Getting people to learn about unfamiliar things is, I feel, a piece of Tolkien's legacy. Fucking around with Sindarin in highschool is what got me into Esperanto, which in turn got me into Latin, which in turn encouraged me to study Cyrillic, and it goes on from there.
>>
>>62924247
no, he just took the form of one in hopes that it would allow him to slay huan

much like how big tiddy thuringwethil wasn't actually a vampire, she just routinely assumed the shape of one
>>
>>62910079
They work out okay, like 2 big armies composed of smaller factions. The biggest suckers we encountere are 3 way games, because they are hard to get working without 2 players ganging up on the third, and you have to adjus the rules for 3 sided combats, priority, and such.
>>
File: C r o s s b o i s .png (330 KB, 1380x776)
330 KB
330 KB PNG
>>62910079

You do this twice for 50 crossbow shots and rape anything two times.
>>
>>62905131
Just got the pellenor box set.
>gonna be an interesting weekend
>>
>>62928297
>4 player game when everyone uses this army
Ride to ruin and the world's ending.
>>
>>62928297
This army would have owned the rookie lists at >>62911045
>>
If you had the resources to build any game board based off of the LOTR movies, books or games. What would you choose?

Ithillien? The Shire? Mordor?
>>
>>62928374
I would build some kind of a huge ass city board. Probably a 28mm scale Minas Tirith would be my choice, although I also like the aesthetics of Edoras.
>>
>>62928330

We need a good aligned 750p meme army for that competition.

I'll start working on it
>>
>>62928412
There's a YouTube channel with a HUGE Osciliath board. Plus a pretty cool edoras board.

Personally I'd like a map in the wilds of the north with maybe a small set of cottages and some anor ruins
>>
File: WD 301 minastirith.jpg (85 KB, 809x418)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>62928412
In white dwarf 301 there is an article about the staff of a Paris GW shop building a minas tirith board. Check the minis on the walls and the statues at the gate, and wonder at the size.
>>
>>62928374
All of the above. So many amazing locations in middle Earth.

But I think my top choice would be dale and the lonely mountain.
>>
>>62928425
What kind of good army could possibly match the might of the crossbow uruks?
>>
>>62929428

Just max out on Hobbits. Job done.
>>
>>62929428
Elf Cloak bow Elfs
>>
>finally break out the mumak for the first time in the new edition
>go all out: mahud, sigils, tusk weapons, etc
>opponent brings tom bombadil

oh
>>
>>62929834
Isn't the Elephant fround upon generally?
>>
>>62929834
Fucking hell, haha.
>>
>>62929932
I don't know, maybe. But I'm gonna be a hard sell on that from now on given how useful one is against a huge blob of mans with fuckadil in the middle.
>>
>>62929428
anyone with blinding light, elf cloak armies, and fully committed Rohan charges could all do pretty well. Really anyone that can hit melee fast enough or find a way to beat them in skirmishing have the advantage.
They hit strong, but are completely immobile as long as they're putting out damage. Board positioning can turn a very quick and decisive advantage.
>>
>>62929932
Not really, unless you squeeze one into an 500pt list. The mumak is not OP at all, unless the enemy is really unprepared for it.
>>
>>62929834
How did bombadil stopped your mumak from trampling the rest of his army?
>>
>>62930224

>Blinding light
Shoot anything that isnt in the radius, the focus fire on the caster

>Elf cloak armies
Must be near terrain

>Rohan charge
Stop it with the orcs. Tangle up in combat and then shoot both with c r o s s b o w s. Works particularly well for killing heroes.
>>
>>62930308
All he had to do was bunch all his shit around Bombadil in a tight formation. The moment the mumak comes into contact with him, it's over. The trample ends immediately if it passes over Bombadil, it can't trample at all if he charges it first, and it automatically loses the ensuing combat regardless. The mumak's absurdly huge base size makes evading a small-based model nearly impossible short of going straight backwards.

Things might have gone differently if we were playing a scenario that required him to break up his army into relatively even contingents but, well, we weren't.
>>
How would you guys compare these two armies?
Had to work with what was in the starter box plus some stuff I got for myself.

Angmar
Buhrdur
6 Wargs
Barrow WIght
4 Orcs with shields
3 Orcs with spears

vs

Rohan
Theoden
9 RIders
>>
>>62930353
Go win some tournaments. Until then your armchair generalship is unimpressive
>>
>>62930727

Bot equally shit
>>
>>62930769
>Equal

All I need to take from this. Thanks.
>>
>>62930727
Ignore >>62930769 they are fine. I feel rohan might have a slight advantage over angmar, but a lost priority roll can still mess them up.
>>
>>62930353
Galadriel with blinding light and a retinue of elf bowmen coud be a tough challenge to the army. Elves are suitably low in numbers to fit into the radius of th spell, and elf archers have always been a good counter to crossbows.
>>
>>62930353
>I have no proofs and I must duuuuhrr
>must be neat terrain
what ae you, american? an army should have no problem being "partially obsured", a few fences and the whole force is fucking invisible
rohan has far superior positioning power, the crossbows are stuck in one place as long as they're trying to shoot, they just outpace the orcs, or slaughter them outright, and then go for the kill
and elves with blinding light win a war of attrition against crossbows, nearly double the amound of wounds per turn.

As >>62930734 says, we can theorize shit all day. prove it's as good as you say
>>
>>62905131
Building a castle to try out siege rules
>>
>>62929428
Iron hills dwarves with their ballista
>>
File: Eowyn.jpg (63 KB, 920x950)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Is her cheap cost worth it?
>>
>>62933672
Yes, especially as she has 2 attacks and 2 wounds in the new editon.
>>
>>62933672
I would hesitate to go for Theoden while she was still alive.
>>
>>62929428
Iron Hills with a ballista or 2 would prevent the crossbows from shooting, and you won't be able to match them in combat with regular orcs, especially with so few spears.

High Elves w/ Cirdan is a good one; maybe allied with Lothlorien for Galadriel, so you have 2 blinding lights to cover the entire army. The orcs will be entirely useless much of the battle because of Wrath of Bruinen, and it can trade reasonably effectively in shooting with blinding light.

Maybe swap lindir and Elrond and just horde out with cheap heroes. Maybe even Galadriel and a horde of Galadhrim and wood elves with Rumil and Haldir could do it.

>>62933672
Eh, I would go with Eomer, Theoden, Theodred, Gamling, and/or Erkenbrand first. I don't think you can really justify bringing her considering the 6 model warband and other heroes available.

Maybe at certain points values, like 400 or so, where you can't really afford one of the stronger heroes, or after you have all of them already in a huge game.

>>62934760
I'd kill Theoden ASAP. She can't move more than 3" from where he died, so you take out 2 characters in one. The downside of that rule far outweighs the benefit.
>>
>>62934812
Wrath of Bruinen if Lindir + Elrond + Cirdan*
>>
>>62933672
Her cost invites comparison to a generic captain, and she usually comes out looking the worse of the two. She's S3 and maxes out at D5, which is pretty unimpressive. F5 and Heroic Strike are tempting, but I rarely feel as though it justifies including her. It's pretty rare that you can't shuffle around the 10-20 or so points to upgrade her to another named hero - and if your force is so small that you can't, being a minor hero is probably a deal breaker.
>>
>>62935341
I think the extra will/fate/fight is worth the loss of S/D, but its a crap shoot.

I would take her with Theoden, probably not otherwise. Heroic strike and strength can be a big deal as well, especially as you can burn through might with Gamling.
>>
>>62936490
>especially as you can burn through might with Gamling
I think the royal standard is the deciding factor wrt Eowyn. Her heroic actions are really great for such a cheap hero, so if you can get the free might she justifies her place in a list over another captain. If Theoden dies in a convenient spot, she also becomes an absolute murder machine.
>>
Galadhrim and Rohan

Do they make a good army together?
>>
>>62938743
I too, am wondering this.
>>
>>62938743
Not really imo
>>
>>62938743
well you get human orks with elves
It really matters on how much you want to ignore your army bonus for numbers
and at that point why not just have gondor instead
>>
>>62940148
>you get human orks with elves
Wat?
>>
>>62923615
pretty much because a) PJ thinks talking animals are dumb, b) they are only mentioned, never seen, in LOTR, and as a result, c) the rights to do anything with Silmarillion IP are secured against anything except books & pretty pictures, and it's considered a dark gray area of the legendarium
>>
>>62940266
warriors of rohan are mordor orcs with one point better shooting and courage.
and i think the cheapest man model good has no?
what i'm getting at is if you taking them as allies you taking them as mobs no?
>>
>>62940148
u fukin wot

Lorien and Rohan are historic allies, you don't have to lose out on any army bonus when you field them together. They compliment each other quite well; Lorien, unlike Rohan, has good spellcasters and elite infantry while Rohan, unlike Lorien, has affordable cavalry and cheap combat heroes.

Even better, Lorien solves the biggest problem Rohan has: absolutely shit natural Fight values that are dependent on Theoden for getting better. In exchange, Lorien gets S4 warriors (!) and a fat fucking buff for Haldir.
>>
File: shrugs in clone.jpg (45 KB, 549x188)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>62940426
Eh i don't know good all that wellbut that was a part of my point that rohan is cheap as chips, particularly compared to elves
>>
>>62940470
Yeah, but dunno if I'd be taking foot Rohan anyways, Cheap or not, they're still pretty bad. I guess an argument could be made for Grimbold & Co., since they're still cheaper than elves, are S4, and can get F5 spear support.
>>
How many riders of the dead would one need for a dead of durnharrow list?

I have the king and banner and about 20 warriors with 20 more comming with the starter set and like 20 more of the OOP metals.

But i like the looks of riders and would like some speed.
>>
>>62928330

>rookie lists

I played back in the day and the game tended to matter more how you played.

Is power creep really a thing plaguing LOTR now?
>>
>>62940789
You really should be smarter than listening to these idiots
>>
File: dorf resting.jpg (63 KB, 680x487)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>62940751
I'd say as man as you want but jesus they are expensive points and price wise
i suggest 3-5 but i don't tend to use cav, they are tough and fast but not much different from your dead anyway, you're paying 9 points for that horse
>>
>>62940789
Nah, how you play is still generally more important. List is, and always has been a factor though. The game is well balanced, but it's never been perfectly balanced. There's a reason Rohan didn't take top spots in tournaments prior to the new rules.

>>62940751
Not a lot. Maybe 2 per warband at most. They're expensive.
>>
>>62940751
Not many
>>
File: TN-The_Riders_of_Rohan.jpg (292 KB, 1280x935)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
>>62941963
>There's a reason Rohan didn't take top spots in tournaments prior to the new rules.
Time for a history lesson, Grima.

The 2004 Grand Tournament and the 2006 Grand Tournament were won by Rohan lists fielded by the same player, Vesa Nenye. He decided to use different lists in 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009 and won in 05, 07 and 08 but not 09. Interestingly enough, to unseat the reigning champion for five years running, Michal Molenda decided to use a mix of Rohan and Gondor with a majority of it being Rohan. I'd chalk that up as a Rohan victory in 2009 as well. The 2010 Grand Tournament 2nd place was an all Rohan list. Numerous other players fielding Rohirrim have placed in the top 10s in more recent years at Arda and NOVA, including a few Rohan/Gondor mixes coming in 2nd and 3rd.
>>
>>62944114
Wasn't 1st place for the 2017 Nova a Mordor list?
>>
>>62944114
Rekt
>>
>>62944114

Where is this? How's that tower called? Before rammas echor and the pelennor to the left ?
>>
>>62941049
>>62941963
>>62943164

Was thinking of picking up 12 of them to make a war of the ring unit.

Sounds like that will be more then ill ever need for SBG level. $13 a pop is harsh but i like the minis so meh. its a christmas gift to myself.
>>
>>62945487
I could imagine busting out 12 of em at 1000 points, but probably not before that. Like others have said, you'll usually field a small pack of them at most, just to have the extra speed and hitting power if you need it.

The Dead already struggle a lot with keeping their numbers up, so 23 point warriors are usually not what you're looking for.
>>
>>62905131
Lots of orcs and some dorfs
>>
>>62929932
Nobody has an issue with oliphaunts unless you're cramming one into a small game without warning your opponent, which is true of pretty much any 250+ point model.
>>
>>62948133
>dorfs and orcs
>>
>>62944114
Rohan OP plz nerf
>>
Just getting in, is this rohan list too small for 500 points?

Theoden with Armored Horse, Heavy Armor, Shield
10 Royal Guard with Horses

Theodred with Horse, Shield
11 Riders of Rohan
>>
>>62950159
Might get you outnumbered a lot. Theodred and Theoden would be the only ones really pushing stuff
>>
Fuuuckkk Damn bat swarms picked up the objective and flew off. Need some cowardly bows in my list I guess.
>>
>>62950299
How much more I can add? My impression from reading these threads is that including Theoden is non negotiable. I guess if I replaced Theodred with Gamling, I could take two more royal guards. I don't know what else I could do short of taking infantry, which I'd love to avoid if possible.
>>
>>62950453

Why not cut theodred and royal guard for more troops
>>
>>62940789
>Is power creep really a thing plaguing LOTR now?
It started creeping in during the later stages of the SBG. I wouldn't say it's all that different or worse now, though.
>>
>>62950453
you have to chunk more meat in, so your enemie has something to kill while you do the whole horse archer thing around him.
>>
>>62950377
bats are literally the gayest fucking thing on earth. having your fight value halved no questions is the dumbest shit, I've lost so many monsters and heroes because those faggots spooped around fucking ruins so many fighters.
At least moria is a glass cannon enough that you can shoot them down before they hit combat
>>
>>62950159
This list is fine.

You might find Eomer or Gamling w/ the banner better than Theodred, but not significantly.
You also may want the Royal guard and riders split up ~half and half to each warband, rather than 1 warband of each.
>>
>>62951344
They're not that bad m8. Just take care of them at range. My problem was they are to fast for my all foot army and this was a one objective scenario.
>>
>>62950978
>>62951331
The Royal Guard are only a point more than regular riders, so cutting them in favor of anything besides foot soldiers won't get me much. But maybe that's what I have to do.

How about --

8 Royal Guard with Horses
10 Riders of Rohan

Grimbold of Grimslade
10 Helmingas with Shields
>>
>>62952086
Much better and more balanced, most people are used to fight infantry and will go for your meatshields before caring about those flimsy riders
>>
>>62952086
I'd stick with Theodred over Grimbold. If the infantry are just to boost numbers, there's no point in paying to make them S4, especially with the army bonus giving S4 to cav as is. Getting some throwing spears would likely be better anyway, as it lets your infantry kite against other infantry and/or gives you a chance to kill a target as you go in. And Theodred is way better than Grimbold. Grimbold being only d5 and being forced to use a 2h weapon is a bit too detrimental to his ability to fight, especially without access to a horse or spear support.
>>
>>62952162
>>62952367
okay, third time's the charm

8 Royal Guard with Horses
10 Riders of Rohan

Gamling, Captain of Rohan
12 Warriors of Rohan with Shields

Infantry shieldwalls, cavalry smashes.
>>
>>62952524
Good, simple hammer and anvil
>>
>>62952524
Seems good. 32 models is a lot at 500, and you still have 18 cav and 6 might. I'd maybe consider dropping some bodies for some throwing spears, and maybe splitting up the cav and infantry so deployment is easier. It's hard to get 18 cav models within 6" of Theoden.
>>
>>62952588
After deployment do warbands matter? I'm currently running a horde of Uruk-Hai with generic heroes (GW restock when I have money plz) but I do have some Rohan and I was curious if I could even fit the riders around Theoden.
>>
>>62952671
No they can run of wherever they want afaik
>>
Reading the fiefdoms because i want to dol amroth
Does my army bonus mean that all fiefdom models count as being within a banner if they are near the prince?
same with farlong?
So i could say have farlong baby sitting the men at arms for that reroll?
>>
>>62952697
Okay cool!

>>62952524
Here's my 500 point List

2 Uruk-Hai Captains with Shield
16 Uruk-Hai with Shield and Sword
8 Uruk-Hai with Pikes
Uruk-Hai Scout Captain with Orc Bow
8x Uruk-Hai Scout with Bow.

I think we'd have an interesting game.
>>
>>62952781
The shields and swords seem a bit upside down.
>>
>>62952822
What do you mean?
>>
>>62952874
eh shields and pikes I mean
>>
>>62952994
Oh sorry;

I want more front line D6 troops. The pikes can do enough support with fewer #s.
>>
>>62952700
Yes
>>
File: very good.jpg (37 KB, 890x960)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>62953926
so as long as the prince is alive i never need a banner.
GOOD SHIT
my only regret is the dead aren't fiefdoms anymore
>>
File: BATS.jpg (62 KB, 920x950)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>62951344
>halves ur fight
>>
>>62956769
Ooohhhhhhh

Rekt
>>62951344
>>
>>62952781
>16 Uruk-Hai with Shield and Sword
>8 Uruk-Hai with Pikes
Should be 8 w/ Shield, 16 w/ Pike

Or 16 w/ Pike, 8 w/ Crossbow
>>
>>62956769
second from the bottom is the cutest, this matter is not up for debate
>>
Hows this for a 500 point army?

>Warband - Uruk-Hai Captain w/ Two-Handed Weapon
>>217 pts
1x Uruk-Hai w/ Pike and Banner
7x Uruk-Hai w/ Pike
4x Uruk-Hai w/ Crossbow
>Warband - Uruk-Hai Shaman w/ Armour
>>145 pts
6x Uruk-Hai Berserker
>Warband - Uruk-Hai Scout Captain w/ Bow
>>135 pts
1x Uruk-Hai Drummer
5x Uruk-Hai Scout w/ Shield
6x Uruk-Hai Scout w/ Uruk-Hai Bow
>Total: 497 pts, 33 models
>>
>>62957841
>Uruk-Hai Shaman w/ Armour
Shamen are independent heroes, they can't take a warband.
>1x Uruk-Hai Drummer
Heroes can't be part of a Warband
>>
>>62957902
>Shamen
>>
>>62957927
>Shame
>n
>>
>>62957902
Shaman are minor heroes.

Independent heroes CAN be part of another hero's warband.
>>
>>62958276
>Independent heroes CAN be part of another hero's warband.
Not him, but is there actually any point to doing this?

Given that it just means you can't take another Warrior.
>>
just saw this on the main page. Never got into Warhammer type collectibles or tabletop games, but I fucking love Lord of the Rings and love strategy games. Can you guys give me quick spoonfeeding on these questions?

>how much time is spent on prep? Do all figurines have to be hand painted on your own?
>how easy is it to find other players? Do people play online with eachother? (like you guys?)
>will I be ok with just a starter set? Or will I not really be able to find players until I buy a lot of shit?
>is playing the game fun?
>>
>>62958379
As much as you want. Yes. Yes. Yes
>>
>>62958379
>>how much time is spent on prep?
pre game or like prep for a game?
it's a hobby so before the game there's painting and assembly, handling mold lines but what you put in is what you get out, you can grey tide.
>Do all figurines have to be hand painted on your own?
yep, it's uncoloured plastic.
>how easy is it to find other players?
depends on your location.
its in ever GW store so you have a leg up, likely your city has a facebook for this sort of thing but we are more niche that 40k and others.
>Do people play online with eachother? (like you guys?)
I'll check if Table Top Simulator has any models for it but yeah i don't know.
>will I be ok with just a starter set?
yeah, reasonably.
I mean the starter is better if you play evil than good from what i can see.
to tie into your question of if this is fun, yeah and i think smaller point games work better than larger ones. and what Pfields is about 600 points per army?
>Or will I not really be able to find players until I buy a lot of shit?
Most folks will throw down with small armies particularly with new players.
>>is playing the game fun?
give it a spin.
I like it but some don't like certain mechanics
>>
>>62957841
>1x Uruk-Hai w/ Pike and Banner
Wait, can you use them together now?
>>
>>62905436
>get replaced by a thot in the movie adaption
KEK
>>
>>62920449
>riding a Smaug
Smaug is a unique character, not a mount type
>>
>>62958329
You have to put them in a warband. They changed it with the new edition.
>>
File: Independent Hero.png (107 KB, 438x174)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>>62959061
Incorrect, unless the Megas are out of date.
>>
Rate my Iron Hills, anons.

>Iron Hills Captain w/ Spear and Shield
>> 290 pts
9x Iron Hills Dwarf w/ Spear and Shield
3x Iron Hills Dwarf w/ Crossbow
>Iron Hills Captain w/ War Goat
>> 310 pts
6x Iron Hills Dwarf w/ Mattock
6x Iron Hills Goat Rider w/ Spear
>>
>>62959061
this anon's right, grabbed my physical copy
>>62959119
unless it's Faq'd then yeah you're right
it should be said some independents do have to be included as a result of their rules
Grima
and
the heralds for one.
At least this makes the hobbits """MORE""" playable
>>
>>62959186
>no Twirley Whirleys
>>
>>62959119
>>62959199
>they may not lead troops
>they may not be the armies leader
May is used to mean they are required to or required not to. So:
>They may, however, be included in another Hero's warband
Means they're required to be included in it.
>>
File: kreel.jpg (50 KB, 900x900)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>62959186
Well it's
expensive
you don't have dain
You've got 26 models in 600 points
and to be fair they aren't all that tougher compared to other dwarf armies but you do have spears
all in all
I'm feeling a 7 out of 10
>>
>>62959186
>>62959250
I think that's a 500 point list and anon mistyped, because the points are wrong.

Should be:

12x12+80=224 for the first warband
6x11+6x20+90=276 for the second warband
>>
>>62959186
>>62959250
Shit, I fucked up the points.

This anon is right >>62959279, it's a 500 point list.
>>
>>62959228
contradicts page 130
which states that you can't have more than one hero in a warband.
It suggests to me the may is not used as an ought but an allowance
>>
>>62959292
Then that means they're -allowed not- to take a warband and -allowed not- to be the armies leader.

Which is clearly wrong
>>
>>62959186
>>62959289
Good list for 500 points.

I'd work on expanding it to 750 by replacing the Goat Captain with Dain and adding in a banner and Chariot.
>>
>>62959307
i think then it comes down to whether or not you read being unable to lead followers into battle as being unable to be a warband of maximum 0 followers
that's what it comes down to.
All of this could have been solved by writing MUST rather than MAY. Perhaps this is a british thing.
>>
>>62959362
>All of this could have been solved by writing MUST rather than MAY. Perhaps this is a british thing.
Or maybe it could be solved by using RAI instead of lawyering up.
>>
>>62959372
>Or maybe it could be solved by using RAI instead of lawyering up.
Don't know how you mean by this.
>>
>>62959400
I mean using the obvious way it's been intended (can't take a warband or be leader, but can join a warband). Instead of being a rules lawyer like the person you replied to was.
>>
>>62958329
Only if you want to guarantee that the drummer is with that warband on deployment.
Ex: You're playing one of the scenarios where nothing starts on the board and warbands randomly enter the board from table edges. With the drummer on its own, it could be forced to come on the opposite side of the board from the rest of the army.

>>62959228
"May" refers to a thing being permitted/allowed.
"May not" = is/are not permitted to.
"They may" = they are permitted to.
>They may, however, be included in another Hero's warband
= They are allowed/permitted to be included in another hero's warband.
There is nothing in this statement that would make putting independent heroes in warbands a requirement.

> they may not lead troops
= They are not permitted/allowed to lead troops.

>>62959372
Or proper reading comprehension and knowing what words mean. There's nothing ambiguous about how it is written.
>>
>>62959420
>"May" refers to a thing being permitted/allowed.
>"May not" = is/are not permitted to.
>"They may" = they are permitted to.
>>They may, however, be included in another Hero's warband
>= They are allowed/permitted to be included in another hero's warband.
>There is nothing in this statement that would make putting independent heroes in warbands a requirement.
>> they may not lead troops
>= They are not permitted/allowed to lead troops.
Citation Needed
>>
>>62929428
Armies that say 'fuck the bow limit' like Harad
>>
>>62929834
>>62930172
>opponent brings tom bombadil
Bombadil should not be in this game, for fucks sakes.

Or at least be an Impossible Ally.
>>
>>62929834
>>62930172
>>62959469
Serves you right for bringing an Elephant
>>
>>62959426
Google? It's not hard to verify the definition of a word.
may1
/mā/Submit
verb
expressing possibility.
"that may be true"
expressing permission.
"you may use a sling if you wish"

In this context, it's clearly expressing permission.
>>
>>62959483
>engaging the troll
>>
>>62933672
>minor hero
>shit if Theoden dies
Ew
>>
>>62940426
>Lorien and Rohan are historic allies
Why the fuck is this a thing?

They literally never interacted in the story.
>>
>>62959504
GW never read the books, just watched the movies
>>
>>62959415
Yeah i don't know if it's intended, even in the phrasing i thought, they're independent they can just be independent
then again most of them are mooks or hobbits
But then you have cases like shelob or bombadil
The former makes it seem optional: "Shelob may never be taken as part of another model's warband. "
and how do you shove bombadil/goldberry in a list?
Same with Grima

BUT
in the example armies they have that fool of a took as a part of warbands and not on their own which suggest this is how it's supposed to be
shits fucked my dude
>>
>>62959504
i was finding that weird too but i might be a bit salty
>Dead cannot ally with the fiefdoms or rohan.
it's fucking lame
>>
>>62959504
>t. Bookcuck
>>
>>62959328
Can't fit a chariot in with Dain and that army.

I'd expand to:
>Iron Hills Captain w/ Spear and Shield
>> 249 pts
1x Iron Hills Dwarf w/ Spear, Shield and Banner
8x Iron Hills Dwarf w/ Spear and Shield
3x Iron Hills Dwarf w/ Crossbow
>Dain Ironfoot w/ Pig
>> 396 pts
6x Iron Hills Dwarf w/ Mattock
5x Iron Hills Goat Rider w/ Spear
1x Iron Hills Goat Rider w/ Spear and Banner
>Iron Hills Ballista w/ Superior Construction
>>105 pts
>>
>>62959527
>Dead cannot ally with the fiefdoms
Ffs GW, they were -part- of the Fiefdoms list not long ago
>>
>>62959687
nope
but they can ally with the rangers
and the rangers are not historic with gondor for some fucking reason

but to be fair thanks to pellanor:
>rohan, gondor, the fiefdoms, the fellowship, the rangers, the dead
would all be historic allies
>>
>>62959761
Which they should be.

And then there's the fact that Arnor isn't Historical Allies with Gondor for some stupid reason. Despite the fact that Rohan w/ Eorl -is-.
>>
>>62959774
>And then there's the fact that Arnor isn't Historical Allies with Gondor for some stupid reason. Despite the fact that Rohan w/ Eorl -is-.
Arnor in general is fucked atm.

I'd give it the following at least.
- Knights of Arnor
- Ranger of the North as a Hero of Fortitude (and on this note, there needs to be a generic ranger captain for Gondor and Co as well)
>>
>>62959782
>Arnor in general is fucked atm.
Which is why you run them as Gondor
>>
Any Gondor players who can give tips on this army?

>Faramir's Warband - 273 pts
Faramir w/ Heavy Armour, Armoured Horse, Lance and Shield
12x Knights of Minas Tirith w/ Shields + 1 Banner
>Captain's Warband - 188 pts
Captain of Minas Tirith w/ Shield
12x Warriors of Minas Tirith w/ Spears and Shields + 1 Banner
>Knight's Warband - 193 pts
Knight of the White Tower
12x Warriors of Minas Tirith w/ Spears and Shields + 1 Banner
>Duinhir's Warband - 198 pts
Duinhir
12x Ranger of Blackroot Vale w/ Spears + 1 War Horn
>Avenger Bolt Thrower - 148 pts
Engineer Captain
5x Crew
Swift Reload
>Total - 1000 pts
>>
>>62960443
Personally, I'd drop the War Horn and Engineer Captain for another Bolt Thrower w/ Swift Reload
>>
File: Visible Autism.jpg (22 KB, 277x296)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>62960443
>12x Warriors of Minas Tirith w/ Spears and Shields + 1 Banner
>Taking a banner on every soldier
>>
File: Bait.png (91 KB, 800x600)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>62960519
>>12x Warriors of Minas Tirith w/ Spears and Shields + 1 Banner
>w/ Spears and Shields + 1 Banner
>1 Banner
>>
>>62958619
>>62958379
Tabletop simulator has models and boards for it, and I believe there are discord(s) channels for it, too.
>>
>>62960443
Illegal list, unfortunately. Duinhir+friends is part of Fiefdoms, and thus only 1/3 of them can be archers. Change them to Gondor rangers and you're good.
>>
>>62960649
Oh ffs, forgot about that.

I was really taking them for the war horn, so I'll just make them Gondor Ranger's w/ Madril
>>
So how tiny of a game would you guys say is fun? Like how many pts?

I wanna build a couple of teams starting with the ones in the Pelennor Fields set for my group.

I don't necessarily wanna start with the minimum possible to play, but just what a tiny fun amount would be.
>>
>>62960677
You can easily make 300/400 point lists out of two boxes of dudes, and the games are fun. I've also done Battle Company games, which are less than 200 and still a good time.
>>
>>62960664
How's this look?
>Faramir's Warband - 268 pts
Faramir w/ Heavy Armour, Horse, Lance and Shield
12x Knights of Minas Tirith w/ Shields + 1 Banner
>Captain's Warband - 218 pts
12x Warriors of Minas Tirith w/ Spears and Shields + 1 Banner and 1 War Horn
>Knight's Warband - 223 pts
12x Warriors of Minas Tirith w/ Spears and Shields + 1 Banner and 1 War Horn
>Madril's Warband - 163 pts
Madril
12x Ranger of Gondor w/ Spear
Engineer Captain
5x Crew
>Total - 1000 pts
>>
>>62960769
Why 2 War Horns?
>>
>>62960784
Because I'll have them in melee now instead of range, so it's to avoid having my only Hornist being buttfucked.
>>
>>62960769
Seems like more spears than you need - you could swap 12 for swords and upgrade some troops to citadel guard.
>>
>>62960821
I tend to just give everyone spears, given I've found it makes it less challenging to work out who needs to support who.
>>
>>62960832
>given I've found it makes it less challenging to work out who needs to support who.
If you're such a brainlet that you can't manage this, you should play another game.
>>
>>62960821
Give he's running Faramir, he should make 6 in each Warband into Osgiliath Vets w/ Sword and Shield.
>>
>>62960854
You've never even played a game.

The congo line bullshit that can arise with pike and spear support is amazing.

>>62959504
The battle of Helms DEE EEE EEEP. In the movie 500 Lothlorien/ Rivendell Elfs show up. It doesn't happen in the book. But the movies are much more popular than the books and GW is trying to make money.

>>62957697
Nah I need D6 frontline troops to be supported by the pikes
>>
>>62915823
Source pls
>>
>>62960677
Battle companies are under 100pt each, and are a great fun, and if you don't want to use the campaign rules, just make two 150-200pt warbands fight each other. The key is to use a variety of units, and lots of terrain.
>>
>>62960805
You get +1C from the gondor army bonus, so it's a bit overkill to get a backup warhorn.
>>
>>62960832
Wat
>>
>>62962655
>>62960805
no it's not, C5 Gondor is legit one of the best things you can spend on. Osgiliath vets with Boromir are fucking F5 C6, fountain court F5 fearless, and ffs just your basic troops with ranger spear support are rocking F4 C5.
It's also really great for knights of MT, as they're one of your best damage options they really need the advantage to charging terrifying opponents.
It's nice, gondor has durability and cheapness down to a science, this gives you some actual power to them in combat
>>
>>62960769
>Engineer Captain
>5x Crew

I don't usually run siege weapons, but is there a good reason to do this rather than just taking two bolt throwers?
>>
>>62963750
No.
2 bolt throwers with 1 extra crew would be better.

>>62963445
Or you can just bring some bodyguard units, which auto-pass courage checks anyway: Cit Guard and Fountain Court Guard. And veterans are already courage 4, so just the army bonus brings them to C5. You don't need more than that. Even if you're playing against mass morgul knights + wraiths or something. Knights at courage 4 will pass 70% of courage tests. At courage 3, it's ~58%; that's good enough that adding more bodies is generally better than adding more courage.

A Warhorn is 30 points. That's 3-4 more models. Bringing 2 means dropping 6-8 models, which is definitely not worth it, especially with the new army bonus. 1 is probably fine if you're not running many bodyguard units or veterans at ~600+ points. Terror isn't that common, and breaking shouldn't be a huge issue.
>>
>>62961309
>The battle of Helms DEE EEE EEEP
HORNSBURG
H O R N S B U R G
>>
>>62960769
It looks fine besides the weird choice to take a souped-up avenger that costs almost three times as much as a default one. That said, you're going into 1000 point games with Faramir as your strongest hero, which is a little concerning. At that level, you can expect to start seeing bullshit like Balrogs, Gil-Galad, and maxed out Witch Kings with regularity. Your list seems incredibly reliant on the impact of your F3 KoMT for dealing with stuff like that.

It wouldn't be too hard to move stuff around and find 80 points to upgrade Faramir to a similarly equipped Boromir, since you can easily shave 60 or so off the bolt thrower. Boromir's going to be able to throw down waaaaay more convincingly when he enters the fray, with six might to spend on heroics.
>>
>>62960769
>>62964438
Allow me to point out that it would require 135 points to exchange Faramir for a mounted Elessar, a.k.a. the bolt thrower upgrades, 12 spears, and one of your banners.
>>
>>62960769
drop a horn because 2 is unnecessary, just go ahead and upgrade /fa/ramir to Aragorn, Gandalf, or Boromir because that'll do you miles more work. also 12 knights of MT is a little much, you may want to invest in some sturdy ground troops like GotFK instead
>>
>>62963750
2 bolt throwers seem like overkill.
>>
>>62965915
Not at 1000 points. 148 points for a single bolt thrower is way more overkill, and not in the good way.
>>
>>62966106
this. 2 with some extra crew and/or swift reload will do signifigantly better work for a lot cheaper.
better yet though, grab a fuckin trebuchet. with all the knights and heroes (though honestly at 1k level you oughta get gandalf, aragorn, or boromir) you can effectively fight monsters, what you should invest in is extra help tearing up battle lines.
>>
how is this for angmar? too magic heavy? should I try to make space for a troll? I'm leaning towards numerical and magical superiority as a playstyle.

Witch-King of Angmar (+3M, +4W, +2F, Fell Beast) - 165
6 Orc Warriors (shields) - 36
6 Orc Warriors (spears) - 36
6 Orc Trackers - 30

Barrow Wight - 50
3 Orc Warriors (shields) - 18
3 Orc Warriors (spears) - 18
3 Orc Trackers - 15
1 Orc Warrior (banner) - 30

Barrow Wight - 50
3 Orc Warriors (shields) - 18
3 Orc Warriors (spears) - 18
3 Orc Trackers - 15
>>
>>62966489
Too magic heavy. You don't need two wights when you already have the witch king, those points end up wasted when you run out of targets to Paralyse. Just swap one for an orc captain with equipment.
>>
>>62966489
The troll is not necessary as you have a fell beast under the Witch King, but I would consider swapping a wight for an orc captain and the +2 might points.
>>
Is it reasonable to just toss in a single Black numenorian with warhorn into a mordor list just for the moral buff?
>>
>>62967326
Seems like good idea imo.
>>
>>62905436
>>62907422

>See the light of the Two Trees
>Glow in shadow realm type shit because of it
>Have anyone think you're interested in a sneak mission against dudes that can primarily see in shadow realm thing
>>
>>62966489
I'm gonna echo these guys:
>>62966872
>>62967120
and say that three spellcasters are more than you need at 500. Most lists you face will have one, maybe two, heroes worth hitting with a transfix/paralyze. One Wight can take the lead and the WK will be back-up. That'll be enough until you hit 700.

An Orc Captain w/ shield is 45 points. It'll bring two more might points to your list and free you up to buy the WK another point of will or fate.
>>
>>62967326
Depends on what you're running. It is if you're running lots of Orcs without shaman or if you're running warg riders, because the warhorn helps the Wargs stick around when the rider dies.
>>
>>62969780
Is this true?
>>
For anyone who has this model is it possible to build both versions without the banner?
>>
>>62960769
Alright, taking everyone's suggestions, how does this look?

>Boromir's Warband - 299 pts
Boromir w/ Shield, Horse and Banner of Minas Tirith
6x Knights of Minas Tirith w/ Shield
>Captain's Warband - 216 pts
12x Warriors of Minas Tirith w/ Spears and Shields + 1 Banner and War Horn
>Knight's Warband - 168 pts
12x Osgiliath Veterans w/ Shields
>Madril's Warband - 163 pts
Madril
12x Rangers of Gondor w/ Spears
>Avenger Bolt Thrower - 77 pts
3x Minas Tirith Crew
Swift Reload
>Avenger Bolt Thrower - 77 pts
3x Minas Tirith Crew
Swift Reload
>>
>>62971002
I don't believe so.

But you *should* buy 2 packs, so you have 1 of both with banner and 1 of both without.

Plus the banner is *amazing*, so should be taken.
>>
>>62971002
Should be pretty easy to clip off
>>
>>62971015
Can Vets take banner + horn?

Because if so, drop the Ranger's spears and turn your remaining Warriors into Vets.
>>
>>62960141
Do people seriously do this?

Run Arnor models as Gondor?
>>
>>62970951
>In Rivendell there live still some of his chief foes: the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power.
From Gandalf.

Frodo also sees Glorfindel as a white light, and it was my interpretation that that was because of coming from Valinor and seeing the Two Trees.
I don't have a direct quote for that, but I can go find my copy of the books if you need it.
>>
File: IMG_3005.jpg (71 KB, 920x950)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
This guy..

How is he??
>>
>>62971106
No humans
>>
>>62973289
Dank
>>
Bros,

Do you know of a site to purchase mesbg game counters? The cardboard ones are rubbish and i would like a set with dismount tokens too.
>>
>>62971015
That'd definitely work. If I were to make one change though, I'd drop the banner and change your osgiliath vets over to GotFK with shields, built-in spears lets them mobilize and support better, and with fearless they'll do excellent skirmishing work.
Actually, drop the banner, turn 11 of the osgiliath vets into GotFK, and downgrade the last vet to a warrior and give him the horn instead and have him hide at the back.
Then with those three extra points upgrade the second bolt thrower to the ultimate fuck-you to battle lines, based battlecry trebuchet

Now you've got broromir, his knights, and a bolt thrower to dish out major pain to monsters and such, a fuckoff catapult and prestigous central formation to take down main lines, and a final compliment of GotFK to destroy midling-elite troops or fend off larger threats until the cavalry arrives.
though maximum /devilish/ says keep a spare bolt thrower handy so's if you run into meme lists like nazgul spam you have a quicker solution

but desu I prefer the trebuchet for monsters, it may not get as many hits in but wounding on 3+ and instakilling the target (escept for cavedweller beebop and sauron) is so fucking nice. if there's not chaff to interfere, having a 33% (42~ percent if you burn that free point of might) to fucking annihilate anything is beautiful
>>
>>62973382
very good. his rules make him absolutely insane getting into melee with men armies and MoB is incredibly useful for counteracting heroes. stick him with some warg riders and you will fuck up some dudes
however, he is rather expensive and a fairly weak combatant for his cost, if he touches melee against a real heavyhitter expect him to get ded'ed pretty quick
>>
>>62959523
nothing is fucked. shelob more than proves that it's not a restriction but rather a permission,

how are anons this absurdly ... either it's being obtuse or being incapable of rational thought
>>
>>62961309
>movies more popular than the books
ummm wut?
>>
>>62973678
So he is a damn good infantry killer but put him up against characters he is f'ed..

Kinda film style aestetics like that, even unintentional, is what i love seeing in this game.

Got named by some named character, same in tabletop..
>>
>>62973496
I would also be interested
>>
>>62973720
Illiteracy
>>
>>62973703
>how are anons this absurdly ... either it's being obtuse or being incapable of rational thought
with me I think it's obtuse, i am taking a fine comb to the wording
also intuitively i find it stupid that they are titled "independent heroes" and must be a warband.
but yeah with the example armies i thought that would be a reasonable clincher
and in retrospect it doesn't make sense for them to write the rule if it was optional
>>
>>62973720
MEG most people can't read just like you.
Gross sales of the Lord of the Rings movies~ 2.3 billion. Devide that by ~10$ ticket. At least 230 million people have seen the movies in theater.

Book Sales: 150 million copies.
>>
>>62976019
Good thing the movies are great
>>
>>62976136
Oxymoron
>>
>>62973720
>>62974953
no
I've seen it bandied about that in the fellowship and onwards tolkien has a very dry writing style.(I can't say this about the hobbit because it has a very childlike attitude, like watching a ghibli movie )
That and it's a very detached series, very focused on world building and damn does he do a good job of it last time i checked.
I found it to be something of a slog to get through it because there's so much of the damn thing.
>>
>>62976019
You're being generous with that estimate. Assuming that not a single person decided to see the movies at least twice in theater is a little disingenuous. But for arguments sake, let's go with your estimate of 230 million people.

Movie tickets are one time use. Books, on the other hand, are frequently read by more than one person. It's not uncommon to find copies of LotR that have been around since the 70s and 80s which have changed hands not just privately but have been bought and sold several times through several different book stores. For example, my current copy of the Fellowship has been stamped by two separate used book merchants before coming into my possession. Seeing as how there's no way to keep track of something like that, I'll try to keep my estimates fair. Let's just assume that 50% of all the copies sold thus far have never left their original owners hands. Let's say the other half have been traded or gifted to just one other person beyond the original sale. That alone would bump the audience of the books up to 225 million readers - and that's with a ridiculously conservative estimate.
>>
So how are Good vs Good armies and Evil vs Evil armies?

We definitely want to eventually have some Elves vs Humans conflicts, and some Orcs rising to power conflicts.
>>
>>62976959
>225 million readers
So still less than the movies, gotcha.
>>
>>62977029
It's probably closer to ~500+ million readers over the span of many decades.
>>
>>62977054
>citation desperately needed
>>
>>62977098
Feel free to cite your source that says each ticket was purchased by a unique individual too.
>>
>>62977130
Common sense
>>
>>62977167
Common sense would dictate that people watch movies they like more than one time while books get bought, read and sold thereafter.
>>
>>62977184
>implying Movie tickets don't get sold on websites like Ebay.
>>
This is a retarded argument.
>>
>>62977236
no u
>>
>>62934760
I love how the key to playing Rohan is to have your heroes die in the right order.
>>
Listening to the trilogy now, it's strange how much of the smaller things I've forgotten since last I've read them, and only watched the movies for a while. Like the fact that gollum is a baby-eating cannibal.
>>
>>62976959
https://www.statista.com/statistics/608316/box-office-revenue-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy/

Sauce. Also this is just ticket sales.

Not rentals, not DVDs, not Amazon digital downloads.
>>
>>62977848
If I remember correctly, it's more of a hint than an actual description, something like creeping to a house with a cradle.
>>
>>62971002
I don't have it myself, but I recall that it has a separate lance arm too.
>>
File: tokens.jpg (80 KB, 1043x697)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>62973496
>>62974843
Unreleasedminiatures has some plastic ones.
>>
>>62979936
The woodsmen of Mirkwood talking of a 'ghost' that empties nests, takes small animals and empties cradles.
>>
>>62980190
Where’s this? From fellowship? That’s pretty neato, there’so much in the text we forget it’s astounding
I just reread the hobbit and forgot how absolutely maximum /comfy/ it is
>>
>>62960884
Then he loses shieldwall
>>
File: colin-farrel.gif (4.23 MB, 415x212)
4.23 MB
4.23 MB GIF
>>62977184
>books get bought, read and sold thereafter.
>>
>>62980589
Yes, early on, when Gandalf talks to Frodo about how he came by the story of Gollum and the Ring after it slipped Isildur's finger. Haven't got a page ref since I'm going on audio. Just as comfy to be able to do it at work.
>>
>>62980589
Annnd: the actual quote, it's from chapter II:

The Woodmen said that there was some new terror abroad, a ghost that drank blood. It climbed trees to find nests, it crept into holes to find the young; it slipped through windows to find cradles.
>>
>>62977848
>Like the fact that gollum is a baby-eating cannibal.
Is it really cannibalism if they aren't hobbit babies?
>>
>>62983168
He really wants to eat Bilbo, though.
>>
I really fancy Gwaihir and the Great Eagles. Probably combined with Lothlorien. Anyone have experience with the birds?
>>
>>62976959
He also ignores the fact that Libraries exist, though any form of in-home viewing could easily be more than one person.

Basically, trying to compare which has more views/read throughs is stupid.
>>
>>62983564
Eagles are great, but they’re best when run solo. The +1S is a nice buff against S5/D5 models and lets you knock cave Trolls to the ground.
Playing eagles is so fucking easy
>charge cavalry
>kill them all
>charge monsters
>kill them all
>charge heroes
>kill them all
>charge warriors
>kill them all
>do not charge Sauron or balrog
>hold objectives for the win
If you can’t win with 6 eagles and gwaihir you deserve to lose at a lot more than just that
>>
>>62984676
>If you can’t win with 6 eagles and gwaihir you deserve to lose at a lot more than just that
Thx. I will keep that in mind and order Gwaihir and 4 more eagles for my growing forces of good.
I was gonna order him anyway since I'm a sucker for eagles in any game and his stats are really nice. I just hope he isn't to hard to put together. I have little experience with resin.
>>
>>62983168
If not cannibalism by definition, it's pretty close. I think eating any humanoid creature can fit into this moral greyzone.
>but what about other intelligent beings, like a dragon or an eagle?
>>
>>62984034
But the movies are clearly more popular.
>>
>>62986519
How so? You've got maybe 60% of the data. You don't have DVD sale numbers, audiobook purchases, used purchases or lending numbers for either form of media, and you are questing at the number of tickets sold versus a hard number of books sold.

That's not 'clearly' by any stretch. Hell, since you linked the revenue for the movies, I feel obligated to ask for a link on your figure of books sold just to double check that, even though I also think the movies reached more people.
>>
>>62986848
https://publishingperspectives.com/2010/09/top-25-bestselling-books-of-all-time/

I mean we're in a general about a miniatures game where Rohan and Lothlorien are HISTORICAL ALLIES
>>
>>62986848
https://www.screendaily.com/lord-of-the-rings-breaks-uk-video-and-dvd-sales-record/4010094.article

1.27 million units sold back in 2002
>>
>>62986848
>>62984034
I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that between the options of a book series totaling some thousand-plus pages, no matter how famous, or a major blockbuster trilogy released in the early 21st century totaling some nine hours watchtime, the movies will be more famous
for every one of us that's seen the movies, read the books, all the other books related to it, researched to some degree the background lore even further, and then go on to collect, paint, and play a wargame of miniatures from that series, there's at least a hundred reddit-tier fags/normies that just saw the movies once, talked about "how they sooo loved it," and maybe throw the most generic reference from it when the occasion pops up.

Remember, sadly most people stop reading recreationally past age 11 or twelve, and stop reading books entirely once out of school.
>>
>>62984676
They're not THAT good. You can't avoid all the enemy heroes, and you'll lose some priority rolls and/or heroic roll offs, and they'll get surrounded and brought down. Only 2 attacks off the charge isn't going to win enough fights.

Combining with another faction is probably the right choice for a competitive list with eagles; the +1 strength on the charge isn't a huge deal, seeing as they're already S6. They can't use magic to pull out heroes like Fell beasts and don't have enough might to consistently get charges.
>>
>>62987925
Also Gwaihir can carry around the mirror of Galadriel and restore fate to 3 every turn if you ally Lothlorien.
>>
>>62987941
Really? That sounds hilarious.
>>
>>62987925
the mirror thing is a fun shtick, but they're still tough as nails- it takes at least 12 S3 attacks for a statistical chance of getting off even one wound, and even if a turn or even two goes south, just fly over them, then come back in numbers.
eagles beat everyone for mobility and have no problem crossing the map and chasing down whatever prey they're after. If you can coordinate, you'll have 0 problem downing the big bads of the opposing force and once they're gone, and the skirmishers are gone, all they'll have left is a clump of troops that have no chance of even touching them unless they all group as one, and that'll lose hard for any objective games and just as well for most kill-centric games.
Not only can you absolutely avoid all the enemy heroes, why the hell would you even want to when you can almost universally kill them in one sweep
>>
>>62988990
WHO SHOULD YOU ALLY WITH?
>>
>>62991651
nobody, 6 eagles and gwaihir for a 750 game is good enough for whatever you'll need
>>
Don't kill me people, but is there a single line in the rules manual that says how big the table should be? I can't find it anywhere... what's the board size everyone is playing on?
>>
>>62994967
We play 700pts on 6x4

It feels like the table is to big though.
>>
>>62994967
The recommendations I've heard is that 800 points is about when you should switch from 4x4 to 6x4. For battle companies I highly recommend that the first couple games be played on something smaller like 3x3, both so that you don't set up way too much terrain and because some of the scenarios get fucky when they're spread out and you only have 6 dudes.
>>
>>62994967
Less than 500, 3x3, more 4x4
>>
>>62987103
>Remember, sadly most people stop reading recreationally past age 11 or twelve, and stop reading books entirely once out of school.

This! It was just like that around 10-15 years ago. About 50% of my classmates back then didn't own a single novel. All they ever read were books they had to read for school and even those most tried to skip with summaries found in the internet.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.