[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Is Eclipse Phase dead? I used to see threads about it a while ago...

I want to start a game on this system/setting, any tips for a new GM? (not my first time GM'ing tho)

Also, general cyberpunk/transhumanist artposting
>>
>>62919859
Dead as communism, yes.
>>
>>62919859
Is the revised core rulebook out yet? I think everyone who isn't already in a campaign is waiting on that to come out. At least I am. Love me some anarcho-punk mixed with science horror
>>
>>62920666

The trips have spoken, Communism is totally dead and satanic
>>
>>62919859
It's a clunky system and splatbooks not only ruined the mysteries that the core left open but got on a commie soapbox that many people found distasteful.

At first, the system was crap, but the setting was cool. But then the writers ruined the setting, and what's left at that point?
>>
>>62921088

Any game can fill the gap? And did they ruin it so badly? Also, the system looks like BRP to me, with all its flaws and bonuses
>>
>>62921118
>Any game can fill the gap?
Transhuman Space

>And did they ruin it so badly?
It just killed the excitement and momentum, especially since they went around banning people with politics they didn't like on their official forums.

>Also, the system looks like BRP to me, with all its flaws and bonuses
Frem my recollection of playing it, moxie and how it's degree of success system worked was a bit clunky. However, character creation especially was a 3.PF-tier nightmare, and the lifepath system that came later rubbed some people the wrong way.
>>
>>62921223
>Transhuman Space
Guess I will finally learn GURPS huh

>It just killed the excitement and momentum, especially since they went around banning people with politics they didn't like on their official forums

Dickheads, I almost feel bad for wanting to play a game focused on the anarchists

I still have to check char creation out, but god have mercy if it is PF tier
>>
>>62921345
>I still have to check char creation out, but god have mercy if it is PF tier

The biggest problem is choice paralysis with unclear tradeoffs, and I recall the skill bonus formula being somewhat obtuse and confusing to players. And it's one of those games with 50-bazillion skills whose relative utility is difficult to predict - and the game lacks archetypical roles to fall back on ala Shadowrun. I played it around the time they released the core book for free at launch so my recollection is a bit fuzzy, but I did end up shelving it later because I didn't particularly like running it and the players were just confused by the system.
>>
>>62919859
Well mechanically they went to this weird minimalist improv theater thing. It reminds me of Mind's Eye Theater which was also awkward.

And narrative wise they got really political after the election, which would be fine if they kept it to Facebook shitposting. But it's creeping into the game. For example they turned the Jovians from a militaristic faction with interesting philosophical question behind their motivations ... into space Nazis.

Originally when all the crazy alien virus stuff hit there was a deep colony on Jupiter that was isolated enough that the Jovians knew they were not infected. They were protecting the last real humans left. All the weird technology and alien shenanigans turned people into sort of sleeper agents who might go full Cronenberg monster at any given time. The Jovians did some unpleasant stuff but they had a good reason to.

That's all gone in 2nd ed now.
>>
>>62919859
>Is Eclipse Phase dead?
By Allah, I hope so.
>>
>>62919859
>Eclipse Phase dead
God I hope so.
Never heard good things about the system. The setting was goofy and nonsensical. I think the worst okay was the stories from players though.
>I played a murder octopus!
>In SPACE!
>Holds up spork
>>
File: Eclipse Phase.png (35 KB, 1325x176)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>62923435
That's a shame. The whole anarchic craziness thing looked like fun. If the devs are getting preachy at least we still have 1E.
>>
>>62923435
Can you play as a regular human in this setting?
Someone who doesn't have any augmentations and doesn't want them?
>>
>>62926706
Sure, but you're going to be pretty irrelevant and at a fluff and mechanical disadvantage.
>>
>>62926554

I was thinking about sticking to 1E but a lot of people are saying the system is shit. Any other good horror IN SPEEHS games?
>>
>>62927768
Character creation is nuts to the point where it really benefits from a character building program, but the system itself is otherwise good. A part of the craziness in character creation does stem from the fact that your character's body (or lack thereof) is equipment.
>>
>>62921118
there is Nova Praxis, comes in Fate & Savage Worlds versions.
>>
>>62928423

Thanks
>>62927860
Might give them pre-made them, to cut the worst out
>>
>>62923435
The Jovians were ALWAYS Space Nazis. Nothing was ever "Creeping into the game" these were elements were present from the start.

Frankly the only reason people don't talk about it here is because /pol/lacks will storm any thread about Eclipse Phase to scream at people for daring to like it.
>>
>>62926706
Yes, but that's like playing a mortal in Exalted, theoretically possible but the game itself is literally against you at that point.
>>
>>62928540

I read their post on the forums and it seemed that it was a spergout by /pol/tards indeed. I'm not even a leftie but good lord, I would not stand banter in my autistic realm of rpg
>>
>>62928540
Yeah, that I don't get. In a game where it is almost a requirement to play as a body jacker the guys who hate body jackers would be understood to be one of the bad guys. Yes, not all of them, but the faction as a whole is understood to be in opposition to the PCs. It's in the foundation of the lore.
>>
>>62919859
Jovaboos killed it with shitposts
>>
>>62931307
Doesn't help that the authors fell for the bait and removed Ultimates from the playable race list.
>>
>>62920970
You needed trips to figure that out?!
>>
File: primo just right.jpg (24 KB, 480x590)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>62931333
Well done, half-Satan.

We knew communism was dead but we didn't realize Lenin was Satan's pawn on this planet. Until now.
>>
>>62919859
Given people say it's ruined, but it's on the open game license, and everything is CC, one could easily fork it, and change the story a bit.
>>
>>62919859
Becoming an Exhuman and then a Seed AI is the only correct way to exist
>>
>>62933739
This, but unironically. There's no fucking point for people to hold on to their humanity when they commit suicide on a constant basis and inhabit a hermaphrodite space octopus. Just accept that you are no longer human.
>>
File: this thread.jpg (473 KB, 1040x1015)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
>>62933751
>hermaphrodite space octopus
Why stop at simple hermaphrodism? I want 17 dicks and enough orifices to service the crew of a starship simultaneously!

>humanity is truly forked up
>>
MUH MORPHOGENIC FREEDUM
>>
>>62926706
Yes but you will most likely be one of the bad guys
>>
>>62933897
>Jovians
>bad guys
>>
>>62919859
The game's pretty fun, as long as you stick with v1.
>>
>hundreds of years in the future
>not expecting that the conservatives of tomorrow won't be the liberals of today, and the liberals of tomorrow won't be the turboSJWs of today
>>
The creators killed it when they decided they weren't massive enough faggots and cranked it up to 17
>>
>>62933751
I just got out of the cryosleep pod, birth body intact. What the %$*£ are you smoking?
>>
>>62937676
You can sell it to a loli oligarch for a bunch of money.
>>
Threads are dead here until the second edition comes out and there's more to talk, and mostly, bitch about.

Or there's less shitposting, but that's never ever going to happen.
>>
>>62937946
And get trapped in the last bit of my brainstem in a hypnotic paralytic state while the loli oligarch does all the things with my body? No thanks. I've seen Get Out. I know the bad time that's coming.
>>
>>62933897
Why?
>>
>>62919859
Dead? The creators released all the books for free. It's got a fucking mausoleum dedicated to it!
>>
>>62938527
Just buy a new body like a sylph or an olympian or a pleasure pod if you want.
>>
>>62934849
This, nothing wrong with the original edition, it's not like it's going anywhere
>>
>>62919859
They got woke, told their fanbase to go fuck themselves, and went broke.
>>
>>62939590
Are they dead dead or do they just have low sales?
>>
>>62941134
Sales? What are sales good for, stone age capitalist pig-dog? We have neo-economics!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.