[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Antonia_Bayle.jpg (69 KB, 453x600)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
One Golden Glance Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Wayfinder's Guide to Magic Items
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Magic_Items_of_Eberron.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20&%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com
>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread: >>62911485

Are you excited about anything in your upcoming games, /5eg/?
>>
>>62920562
I'm excited about everything in my upcoming games.
>>
>>62920562
>Are you excited about anything in your upcoming games, /5eg/?
The fallout of my paladin drowning a man with his bare hands
>>
>Upcoming games
hahaha I wish one player got burned out on tabletop games and our group died
>>
>>62920562
Just reached Omu in ToA.
>>
>>62920562
I thought 5eg didn't play 5e
>>
>>62920562
First time DMing for a campaign this long and have had to completely relearn to never plan longer than a session out. My players have managed to convince Lolth to assist them in slaying an Ancient White Dragon that is working with a homebrewed dragon god that wishes to see the rebirth of the world and all the planes (himself included, of course, he is part of the old hollow world that will help see a new dawn through it's death). Naturally this will bite them in the back, given this is Lolth, but for the moment she is not eager to be consumed and used for raw materials and has blessed giant spiders so that their silk might even stop a dragon's wings. They plan to lay traps in its hunting grounds to snare it in a series of webs, and use their tribal allies to help slay it while it's subdued. All this because I decided to let one of them harvest some spider silk from one of their first boss monsters and they happened to walk into spider webs during a hike, and they asked if there was an deities associated with spiders.
Should I knock any of them down in alignment for working with Lolth though? Two are Neutral Good (ranger and monk), one Lawful Good (cleric), and one Chaotic Neutral (barbarian). Technically they aren't doing any evil deeds aside from the act of working with an evil goddess, so perhaps a redemption quest where they have to now stop Lolth from using her spiders for her own plots? Or should I just issue some strong warnings that their respective gods aren't pleased about their new alliance?
>>
>>62920562
This saturday our group gets to start a new campaign and I finally get to roll an Arcane Trickster outside of oneshots. I'm stoked.
>>
File: Hound Archon.png (153 KB, 464x1080)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
Thoughts on my hound archon?
>>
File: 1517995756243.gif (1.12 MB, 500x200)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB GIF
>>62920562
I'm actually on hiatus for right now
Gives me time to work on future campaign ideas and other stuff

Still i'm looking forward to the next adventure
>>
wait.. why would an EK take GFB when they get extra attack? last thread someone said this and it seems stupid.
>>
>>62920935
Green Flame Blade is for those without extra attack, because extra attack outshines it in every way.
>>
>>62920935
Oh, psyche. At level 7 you can cast a cantrip and attack as a bonus action, so green flame blade is like getting 2 1/2 attacks. Would recommend.
>>
>>62920935
EK gets an ability that lets you make a weapon attack off a cantrip.
At lvl 5, GFB will always out damage any single weapon attack.
So instead of Attack, Attack you do GFB, Attack and wind up doing more. Plus maybe hitting an enemy nearby.
>>
>>62920935
The GFB/BB cantrips are better at really low levels where you don't have it, and at levels 7 to 11 where it's better to GFB and bonus action attack than attack twice.

At levels 5-6, and 11+ your standard attacks are better because the modifiers outweight the extra d8's. HOWEVER if you're fighting a horde of low hit die enemies it may be better to use GFB to spread damage around. BB is situationally good if you have warcaster, use it with your reaction OA's and have them eat even more damage or force them to spend their turn next to you
>>
>>62921040
>When you don't have it
By it, I mean extra attack. What the fuck I can't type
>>
Had my first run in with a shitty DM recently
>Be rogue
>Skulker feat
>Be in a dark place
>"Alright I'll hide right here" when I'm next to an enemy
>DM: "You're not hiding behind anything you can't hide"
>Me: Explain I have skulker
>DM argues dumb shit about what being lightly obscured means and lighting
>I point out it's clearly explained in the rules (not even the first DM I've had to do this for. You would be amazed at the amount of DMs who don't know what the fuck lighting conditions action mean mechanically. See: all the DMs who don't know dim light gives disadvantage on perception, which I have to remind DMs of too when sneaking around)
>DM obviously grumbly about it
>Suddenly no mention of lighting conditions ever again, and when it is it is always well lit somehow
I'm already wanting to change my character. Fucking amazing how if it's not called a spell suddenly peoples realism autism goes off.

No seriously, why the fuck do DMs not know or care about the rules? I've had a (different) DM that being "effectively blinded" from heavy obscurment is not the same as blinded so they could still target things with spells that require you to see the target.
>>
>>62920935
Assuming the EK is using a 1h weapon, I think BB/GFB+War Magic is supposed to be better at levels 7-10 and 17-19. It does use up a bonus action that could be used for shield master though
>>
Do shy/quiet players on session 1 usually come around in a few sessions? I really want these guys to get excited and contribute to discussions, help make plans, riff on each others' jokes, just become a team in general. How can I help these guys?
>>
>>62921017
Let's do the math.
Assuming a hit and wielding a longsword, with +4 strength and +3 Int, two attacks deals (5.5+4)*2 = 19 damage, whereas a GFB and an attack deals 5.5+4.5+4 + 5.5+4.5 = 23.5 damage minimum, and if there's another target nearby it gets an extra 4.5+3 for a total of 31 damage. It may consume your bonus action, but that's still up to an extra 12 damage for only the cost of a bonus action.
>>
>>62921071
Rogues really suffer from DM May I
>>
>>62921100
It's impossible to say as everyone is different
>>
>>62920721
Oh you finally get to play the module now.
>>
>>62921100
The only shy guy I'm friends with turned out to just be quiet. He almost never participates, but he also doesn't detract and has fun in his own way so I don't see the harm in it. He does eat the pizza though.

But if they're fun-but-shy types, try getting together and playing something besides D&D to loosen up. Maybe get drunk and watch a bad movie, or play Mario Party or something.
>>
>>62921071
Lighting is one of those things that are just never done right by a lot of DMs. Darkvision just means you can see in darkness with no limitations. Lighting a torch means you can see everything. It's just an on or off thing.
There are other rules that have the same problems where they are just completely ignored or ruled wrong. I see it mainly with stealth, illusions, encumbrance and the charmed condition
>>
>>62921071
My DM didn't care because he got off on being in charge I think. They make a campaign, get a bunch of compliments on it, and exercise their creative muscles doing so. But they don't want to memorize the minutia, cause it's not something you're going to be complimented on, so why bother.

Equal chances are they aren't good at going off the rails. In ToA I had a Sorcerer with Ritual Caster feat use Comprehend Languages on a scroll. Was told the language was too ancient and esoteric for my magic spell to do the very thing it was designed for. 3 minutes, not 3 god damn minutes later we talk to an npc who translates it for us. Was he afraid we were going to fuck off and forget about him? Was he that terrified?
Him ignoring Comprehend Languages was always a bugbear of mine given it fucks over an entire spell choice. Especially one you take early when you don't have a lot of room.
>>
>>62921071
Protip: Archetypes that rely on your DM giving you a fitting map design 'suck'.

Its why nobody has ever made a character that is `awesome at swimming and water combat` and nothing else.
>>
>>62921114
>5.5+4.5+4 5.5+4.5 = 23.5 damage minimum
I think you mean average, but yeah, it's really good. And the damage from GFB "jumping bypasses AC too. EKs are a wonderful combat gish, even if they develop a bit slow.
>>
>>62921266
Well I'm sold.Could you do an effective Ek with an elf and focused on DEX/INT instead of STR?
>>
>>62921289
Yes. You'll be less tanky though Pick up elven accuracy if you want, as fighters have a ton of ASI's
>>
File: 1537126644672.png (211 KB, 474x358)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
>>62921234
>Its why nobody has ever made a character that is `awesome at swimming and water combat` and nothing else.
reminds me of that time I
>played a triton fighter
>by total coincidence there's a trap that fills the room with water
>think this maybe be one of those times where everyone kinda steps to the side and let you be the cool hero for once
>literally everyone goes I ROLL PERCEPTION INVESTIGATION I CAST FIREBALL BARBARIAN RAGE ATHLETICS TO PUNCH WATER BACK NAT 20 BABY OH YEAH
>>
>>62920721
Hey, nice. Everything before that is bullshit filler and wandering in the jungle.
>>
Query: the DM puts an NPC in front of us. He says something I find suspicious and I voice my concerns.
DM says to roll Insight.
I say I'd prefer not to. I've arrived to the conclusion on my own and will stick with it, even if I'm wrong. I COULD find out by rolling Insight, but if I roll low my character believes a lie I think is obvious.
DM forces me to roll insight.
I fail.
NPC was lying to us. Tries to kill us later.

Was I justified in not wanting to do the Insight check? You make a roll to possibly discover information that the DM has. But I wanted to stick with a conclusion I had reached already, and didn't want it changed because a die roll I hadn't wanted to make said so.
>>
>>62921289
You lose an 1 AC and gain all the benefits of having a higher dex. Also means you can pick up BB or GFB at level 1 instead of 3
>>
>>62921332
God I know that feeling
>>
File: 1500411581534.jpg (153 KB, 720x960)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>62921289
Yep. Dex is recommended if you're not going shield master for the save bonus.
Mix in Shield, Absorb Elements, and eventually Mirror Image and you're unkillable.
>>
>>62921100
>How can I help these guys?
Some people just aren't into that kind of stuff, anon. Some people are just along for the ride and are perfectly content with watching the other guys coming up with plans and doing all the risky stuff. The best thing you can do is keep open communication with what their expectations are. Don't expect a laundry list of stuff they want; hell, at first don't even expect a vague hint. Just accept your players for who they are and try to keep everyone happy without pressuring them or stressing yourself out.
>>
>>62921340
>roll a Strength check to move that boulder
>nah my character is pretty strong and would just move the boulder
>do it bitc
>wow it's a 4
>YOU FAIL TO MOVE THE BOULDER LOLOLOL
What the heck, /5eg/? I was forced to make a roll against my will and because of it, my character is an incompetent fool
>>
File: 1496242652294.jpg (210 KB, 1278x2170)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>62921332
>played a triton sea storm barbarian
>party is fighting an aboleth
>instead of letting me grapple the aboleth underwater and drag it to the surface the wizard just casts waterbreathing on himself and shits on it underwater
>>
What is the point of spears? Are javelins literally just better spears? Why would I ever want a spear over a javelin?
>>
>>62921388
Stuff like that should always have a minimum ability score to attempt or you get full retard shit like the wizard moving objects the barbarian can't.
>>
>>62921388
>Make a strength check to jump the pit
>But I can jump that distance, I can long jump 20 ft.
>No make a check
>wow it's an 8
>LOL YOU FALL IN THE PIT
>>
>>62921346
oh I forgot to mention the snake monsters in the water
what I imagined would happen
>me diving down, racing against the clock and battling this monster I probably can't take on myself while looking for some way to stop the water as my friends are quickly running out of breathable room
what actually happens
>encounter lasts for 2 hours because the DM has no idea how to balance combat as the rest of the party completely unaffected by the water float in line to fight these 8 snake monsters that's how you stop the water you guys you kill all the monsters
>>
>>62921418
Spears are simple weapons, one of the strongest even
>>
>>62921340
Naw, you are right. A failed insight roll should be "you get no feel or extra information" not "you believe all lies he tells you".

Should have just shot him in the head mid-conversion. Remember, it's a surprise round if the GM is shocked and confused.
>>
>>62921234
Counterpoint: Sneaking around in dark dungeons is pretty much accepted as something that happens in DUNGEONS and Dragons. It's like building aforementioned character that is good at swimming and water combat in a game about piracy on the high seas and then suddenly getting landlocked by the GM for the rest of the game.
>>
>>62921388
That example is incorrect, because Strength gives you an concrete capacity of being able to lift, drag, and carry something
Thanks for proving anon right, brainlet.
>>
>And here's my Sorcerer(ess), DM!
>>
File: mewtaclkffobyajb2fjr.jpg (105 KB, 800x560)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>62921332
>Play Aarakocra Wizard
>Having a great time casting my spells from the safety of the sky.
>Party arrives at a tower.
>"Why compatriots, allow me to fly you all up to the top floor and avoid all the traps and monsters possibly lurking in the tower."
>"No, we're going to work together and explore through the dungeon."

I know that feeling of being under appreciated all too well.
>>
>>62921388
>be shitty rogue
>useless at anything that doesn't involve roguish shit
>try to open locked doors
>roll sleight of hand
>"but my thieve's tools"
>roll bitch
>12, crit fail
>YOU FAIL LOLOLOL
>Wizard steps in
>"I'll try I guess"
>Nat 20
>YOU IMMEDIATELY UNLOCK THE LOCK WITH A FLICK OF A FINGER

Playing in shitty groups is the most efficient way of improving your skill as a DM.
>>
Has anyone ever composed a homebrew list of crafting materials a party could quest for to craft magic items from the DMG? I like the idea of players spending time and effort rather than gold to obtain the treasure they seek.
>>
>>62921332
There is no critical successes tho
>>
>>62921388
More like:
>I don't want to roll this boulder up the hill. It will crush me.
>No, roll athletics.
>get crushed by boulder.

/5eg/ complains all the time when a character says they want to solve a puzzle in a dungeon by rolling a straight Int check.
>>
>>62921407
>ravine blocking path
>barbarian: "looks like I could make that jump, I'll tie this rope around myself and leap across..."
>bard: "I CRAFT A MAKESHIFT GRAPPLING HOOK WITH MY TAMBOURINE I HAVE ADVANTAGE ON THE ROLL BECAUSE I SEDUCED THE STALACTITE"
>>
>>62921622
read the book retard
>>
File: Spoiler Image (126 KB, 640x480)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>62921473
>DM: Works for me, anon. Shall we begin?
>>
>>62921643
No, I meant he didn't realize that the other guy was complaining about the "natural 20" meme.
>>
File: 1539439914678.png (152 KB, 492x653)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>62921652
>last night
>party female human fighter is ambushed by vine monster
>fighter is restrained by vine monster
>the vine monster uses its action to constrict on the fighter
>"Oh shit, I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going!"
>"Hey DM, how hard are the vines?!?"
>"Are they slimy, or dry?!?"
>"Where are they grabbing onto???"
>>
What are some fun and interesting ways to challenge my pally in my game? I don't want to make him fall. He's very good at roleplaying a goodie two shoes but has excellent flaws on his character. Sometimes he gets conflicted with the parties actions but he really cares them. So he does some wild mental gymnastics to justify them. Last campaign he was forced to kill a child possessed by a demon and played his heartbreak very well. Kinda turned into a drunk.
>>
So this is a bit of an embarrassing question. Is there a way not to suck as a warlock?
>>
>>62921799
Multiclass into paladin or sorcerer.
>>
>>62921710
C'mon, Laius, just look at those meaty vines, I'm sure they would be great steamed in their own slime.
>>
File: 1541391467575.jpg (118 KB, 1024x768)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
I want to run something by you, /5eg/, about a weapon customization idea.
Serrated Longsword
1d8, yada, yada, regular longsword stats, Bleed.

Bleed: When you roll damage, if the damage dice of the weapon you are using rolls a 6 or higher, and the target is medium or smaller, its movement is set to 10 ft below it's original speed until the end of its next turn. For each size above medium, an extra application of Bleed is required for the effect to occur.
OR
Roll the damage dice of the weapon, if it is 6 or greater after applying magic weapon bonuses and your Dex or Str mod, then the target suffers Bleed.

For the first one, the language is simple (I hope, basically if you roll a 6 on a d8 it bleeds) but it means daggers can never proc serration.
For the second one a dagger can proc serration if, say, the character has a +3 to Dex and rolls a 3 on their d4. But, at the same time I don't want the language to allow for the addition of dice from Hex, Hunter's Mark, etc.
I also want to make sure two martials can't stack the debuff on something and take all it's movement away, hence the wonky "set to 10 ft. below it's maximum." Unless you don't think that's an issue.
"Why the strange wording? Why not make it a Con save?" I don't want to slow combat down by having everyone with a sword force a save after every attack. This way the check for Bleed and the damage roll itself are wrapped into the same roll. It's elegant, but I'm worried it's too complicated to explain.

What do you think? Too complicated? Ideas for better wording? Ditch it entirely?
>>
>>62921481
Nigger you're literally being too efficient, this is like when a player played a Vistani in Curse of Stahd and we rocketed through the content. It was boring.
>>
>>62921100
Some players prefer to be followers or "along for the ride." It doesnt mean they dislike your game, they just prefer to react to what other players are doing. While you have to be careful with having too many of these people, they usually fit in well if you have 1-2 people who enjoy being outgoing, as the shy type will tag along and have fun.
>>
>>62921207
I wish there weren't mechanics tied to dim lighting because speaking as a DM, it is a pain in the ass to figure out lighting levels in a dungeon once players start moving around with their lightsources.
>>
>>62921741
Have the child haunt him, but be super supportive, have the dead kid tell him what he did was the right action, but the kid has to be there as a constant reminder of the cost. Bonus if the other players can't see it, make it ambiguous if the ghost is real or not.
>>
If you're carrying someone and jump/fall to the ground does the person being carried avoid fall damage?
>>
>>62921741
Whats his background? Maybe change it to Haunted One if possible going forward to go along with>>62921932
Flavorwise I think Haunted One is cool as shit but it gets overlooked cause I believe its in SCAG
>>
>>62921860
what's the point of a speed debuff if it can't reduce to 0?
why would bleeding make you move slower?
overall the effect is too marginal for the rules necessary to proc the effect
>>
>>62921741
>I don't want to make him fall.
Good because you cant make him fall.
>>
>>62921799
Have fun with it.
No, really. It's an underpowered class as far as things are concerned, more suited to intrigue than combat. Cha, and the ability to use the Disguise Self, Levitate, and Silent Image Invocations constantly, without needing to worry about burning slots ditching concentration over and over again, make it a versatile caster as long as you don't need to blow something up.
Otherwise it's not great, and without an overhaul to their invocations (allow more to be selected, make fewer require spell slots), or their casting abilities (more spell slots) they are always going to lag in some way. But if you go deep into the RP, and just have fun with the class, it's a very unique experience. Possibly the most unique in the game.
>>
>>62921962
RAW probably not, but I'd let it work that way.

I have a tendency to allow ludicrous plans related to jumping/falling on stuff
>>
Is there a spell that makes creatures move voluntarily as an effect. Something that triggers effects like booming blade
>>
>>62922008
Discordant Murmurs
>>
>>62922008
Dissonant Whispers would do it
>>
File: 1520797247697.png (18 KB, 128x128)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
Playing Half Elf Wild Sorc and about to get level 4. Deciding whether to get the stat increase for cha or just pick up eleven accuarcy. DM resets my surges pretty often so I do get advantage on a lot of my casts. Anyone have suggestions?
>>
>>62922008
Fear, Cause Fear or Dissonant Whispers.
>>
What the fuck are you supposed to do with necromancers? I've got a level 6 necro/wizard that has 15 goddamn skeletons with slings. Any time he gets a clear shot it's 15 fucking attacks +4 dealing 8 crushing per hit.

Half of the time he just goddamn explodes things. I can't restrict weapons or ammo, he bought a retarded amount of sling bullets and slings already and skeletons aren't exactly hard to find.
>>
>>62921799
Do what I did and hop into a Conquest Paladin and be a complete jackass, though that build works particularly better with Hexblade.
>>
>>62922050
Fireball

Also, how is he maintaining control over that many? You must recast animate dead every 24 hours or they turn hostile
>>
>>62921966
If a fighter and a rogue each swing and proc, whatever got hit just lost 30 speed and likely will never get it back. On one weapon it's underpowered, yeah, but on two it has the potential to break encounters I feel.
The bleeding is meant to superficially reduce your stamina and make you woozy. Kind of when you get a bad cut and you need to sit down for a little bit because your head is spinning.
It is very much marginal, but it's also something an entire party can use at once.
Worth noting, it competes for a "customization slot" that could otherwise be filled with a poison or taser effect I haven't worked out yet.

Do you think the debuff should be more? 15ft is half a creature's movement usually and Bleed can be applied every turn, so I'm cautious. I guess the fighter is getting mauled while it's happening though so it isn't like he stay there forever.
>>
How can I make sure that I have enough corpses lying around to make use of danse macabre consistently?
>>
>>62921962
All the falling damage that would affect the carried person gets applied to the one who landed instead.
You'll actually get to SEE his tibias shoot out of his legs!
>>
>>62922070

He can control 5 per cast and he's got 3 3rd level slots, as long as he still has 3rd level slots at midnight each night he can keep control of them.

Technically he could get to 17 skeletons, but he'd need to burn Arcane Recovery to do it and he'd have no third level slots left.

He dose, however, have Counterspell. Fireball isn't going to do it. I've thought about a Life cleric, but that feels like bullshit in the jungles of Chult.
>>
File: 1498394684047.gif (1021 KB, 375x212)
1021 KB
1021 KB GIF
>>62922105
Carry them in a cart. Pretend to be a mail-away cremation service to get the bodies.
>>
>>62922135
Just have another necromancer using the same exact tactic target him with their 15 attacks.
>>
>>62922050
>>62922135
If he has that many skeletons all the time, start using Chainmail combat rules, like Gygax intended
>>
>>62921710
How old are the people you play with?
>>
>>62922135
>5 per cast
Per cast of what? Animate dead? Shouldn't he only get two?
>>
>>62922135
>Jungles
Are you taking into account the cover that would likely be provided by enemies hiding in treelines? That might help lower the amount of hits the skeletons are getting in

If the necromancer becomes infamous enough, a paladin/cleric hit squad might be reasonable to come across I'll admit I have no clue what the situation you're in is so this could very well not be true
>>
>>62922089
speed really isn't important enough to take a customization slot
i would think bleeding would cause a psuedo-burning effect, i.e. fail a con save, take 1d4 damage per turn, can spend an action to staunch the flow, stacks, can only be applied to creatures with blood
have you played darkest dungeon? the bleed effect in that game is the way the makes the most sense to me
just make the save dc low and static across all weapons so it isn't cumbersome to roll the save for each hit
>>
>>62922105
Bioengineer a pandemic
>>
>>62922008
>>62922022
Distressing Mumbles
>>
>>62922158
>Have your other skeletons carry them in a rowboat, the spare skeletons tied to the outside.
>Wear an eyepatch and have a parrot familiar.
>It be yer skeleton crew.
>>
>>62922194
No, Animate Dead sustains control of 4 undead per cast, and targets +1 because of the 6th level Necromancer ribbion.
>>
>>62922199
He's pissed off some Red Wizards, but that isn't exactly a crew that rolls deep with paladins and clerics with anti-undead training.

It's Tomb of Annihilation. He exploded several zombie t-rex with fairy fire and skeleton machine gun crew.
>>
>>62922232
>Undead Thralls
At 6th level, you add the animate dead spell to your spellbook if it is not there already. When you cast animate dead, you can target one additional corpse or pile of bones, creating another zombie or skeleton, as appropriate.
Doesnt say anything about reasserting control over one more but I dont think that would make a difference.
>>
>>62922288
>Red Wizards
Then send in the wizard hit squad. Getting a faction of wizards mad at you is not a good thing
One fireballs, one counters the counterspell,
>>
>>62922202
I dont' want to slow the pace of the game with all the saving throws though.
If w're talking about inspiration, I got it from the bleed effect in Dark Souls 2, where it does a bit of damage and reduces your stamina to 75% for a bit.
Also DD is sick, I need to play it again what with the expansion and all.
>>
What are the effects of radiant damage spells like Sacred Flame on creatures? Would they be able to burn a creature's body or do they "burn the soul" instead?
>>
File: WON10r.jpg (812 KB, 850x1100)
812 KB
812 KB JPG
>>62922216
Bones float right? Forget tying them to the side. The ship is skeletons.
There is also the alternative.
>>
>>62922411
METATRON LIVES!
>>
File: 1541378021563.png (375 KB, 1700x2200)
375 KB
375 KB PNG
>>62922400
This handy dandy chart was posted a few threads ago.
>>
>>62922135
Something that knows fireball could easily have a counterspell of its own. Every time you nuke his skeletons it'll take like a week or something to get them all back. Keep doing it and he'll get the message.
>>
>>62921964
I haven't heard of Haunted one before. What is it? Cool ideas though guys. Thanks.

He spent last session in town confessing in the church and dropped all his gold on the church while he repented
>>
Which (sub)class makes the best trap-master? Someone who sets up traps to catch a foe unaware? Things like tripwires are all well and good but I'm also thinking like digging pits and sawing trees to be close to breaking, which makes me think that the low-Str Rogue might not be the best fit.
>>
>>62922568
I imagine Thief rogue would be pretty good
>>
>>62922568
None, because Crawford never thought of such a character concept so the concept is impossible to fulfill because none of the mechanics support it and many are actively fighting against it.
>>
>>62922593
Is Thief Rogue really all that useful? The ideal trap master is someone who sets up the situation to be advantageous, not one who tries to spring things in the middle of combat. So action economy isn't super important.
>>
>>62922568
Strength would only be required to do it quickly, I could still see a Dex rogue working if given time. Survival prof. would also help.
Take magic initiate and take Mold Earth and Snare from the Druid spell list. Mold can dig holes as an action, and Snare is great for setting a trap near where you're sleeping.
>>
File: hellomypepe.jpg (24 KB, 538x331)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
I wonder how... dnd will be
with a group that I shall never see
>>
>>62922606
>Crawford blaming,
>Again

Give it a rest guys
>>
>>62922135
Necromancer v Necromancer skeleton war
>>
>>62922676
Oh shit, Mold Earth would absolutely be a necessity.
>>
>>62922701
Crawford is the same guy who okayed ranger, champion, Wo4E monk, frenzy barbarian, wild magic sorcerers, etc so clearly any gaps in game design 5e has were of malicious origin.
>>
>Once, before the spell ends you can get advantage+1d8 on one attack and extra 30ft. movement.
>Concentration.

Why is Zephyr Strike so bad, lads? Why does WotC have such a hate boner for Rangers?
>>
>>62922734
Just because he's the Lead Rule Designer, doesn't mean he directly affected those classes. Not to mention, Champion and Wild Magic sorc aren't even bad. Wot4E just needs some tweaks and he had a reason to say no on the Revised Ranger UA which he made clear. Not to mention he has a team of people working with him, he's not just some voodoo bad man who's "Breaking your game"
>>
How can I make a bug weirdo PC?
The obvious first steps seem to be getting access to infestation, giant insect and insect plague.
>>
>>62922734
Let me guess, crawford was the lead designer for Loremaster Wizard too wasn't he?
>>
>>62922786
Homebrew it. Or see if one exists for an entomancer
>>
>>62922786
>Play a cute girl
>Make her a druid
>Bugs!
It's not especially difficult.
>>
File: 1445695675422.jpg (25 KB, 321x322)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>62922568
>Which (sub)class makes the best trap-master?
Warlock with at-will disguise self. :^)
>>
Why is ranger the way that it is
>>
File: Crawfords.jpg (38 KB, 600x450)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>62922892
>>
>>62922860
>Alter Self at level 15
Livin' the dream
>>
>>62922701
Sure thing, as soon as he shows even one iota of care for the feedback he's been getting since day 1. Or hell, I'd even settle for him not actively shitting on the fans anymore, that would be neat.
>>
>>62922785
>he had a reason to say no on the Revised Ranger UA which he made clear
Oh yeah, what was the reason again? It was such a GOOD reason, but I can't really think of it off the top of my head....
Oh yeah! It was that the MASSIVE amounts of feedback he got that said that Ranger DESPERATELY needed a revision didn't include EVERY SINGLE LAST PERSON ON BEYOND, so he ignored it completely. Then said that it's fine because he would have refused to clarify it even if he did release it, and that would just be confusing, wouldn't it?
>>
>finally get to play a wizard
>Literally all the options
>But still out-damaging the entire team with familiar plus dragons breath spells.

So this is what Crawford meant to happen.
>>
>>62921073

It kind of sucks that War Magic is only good at specific level ranges. It should just be straight better, like being able to use maneuvers is.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (558 KB, 1650x2118)
558 KB
558 KB JPG
>>62922711
If you go Arcane Trickster, you'd also get Arcane Lock by level 7 which could be nice for prepping a place.
Also a decent knowledge of chemistry can take you a long way. Dig a hole and shove some alchemist's fire in it like pic related.
>>
>>62922568
Wizard for all the trap spells.
>>
>>62921073
>It does use up a bonus action that could be used for shield master though
>bonus action
>knocks enemy prone
>enemy turn
>gets back up
>attacks
>>
>>62923063
Serious question though, why would you ever take arcane trickster instead of rogue 1, wizard x?
>>
>>62920935
Its good 3-4, and 7-10. At 5 and 6 its about equal if your int is equal to your str/dex.
Actually with a 1h weapon itd be 1d8+1d8+str and 1d8+int. Vs 1d8+str and 1d8+str
And fire dmg can be good in a pinch
>>
>>62923089
>Knock them prone
>Swing with advantage

Assuming you aren't in a game that follows the absurd thought that it must be after all attacks. My way of running it is
>You must take one attack, but then you can shield bash and swing at advantage
Because it says after you take the attack action

My players are fine with it
>>
>>62923109
Because you want to play a Rogue?
>>
>>62923178
https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/994993596989300736?lang=en
>>
Why is daylight so bad? Why doesn't it actually produce sunlight?
>>
>>62923208
>Assuming you aren't in a game that follows the absurd thought that it must be after all attacks
I'm well aware of that ruling, I choose not to follow it as a DM

>>62923211
Because a 2nd level spell shouldn't be enough to make a large number of undead and underdark encounters trivial
>>
>>62923247
But it's a 3rd level spell that's only marginally better than a cantrip.
>>
File: 1485611859139.gif (1.62 MB, 320x240)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB GIF
>>62922785
I didn't realize Lead Designer translates to "Turn a blind eye to every fuckwit decision that gets made."
>>62922734 lists 3 subclasses and an entire CLASS that were idiotically made. Wild Magic sorcerer is a special kind of stupid that requires "Mother, May I" to function in any way shape or form. Anon didn't even mention how balls-in-a-vice dumb the Warlock invocation list is. Spend one of my 2 slots to cast Confusion? Once per long rest? Why?
And what reason did he have for trashing revised ranger? Something about how no one wanted the literal most requesting thing since 5e came out?
>>
>>62922050
Throw a fucking fireball at him
Have somebody destroy/turn undead
>>
>>62922089
Just use then like weapons of wounding
>>
File: 1279683210502.jpg (182 KB, 492x712)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>62922135

I don't know, sounds like he's playing his character to full effect, what's wrong with that? The only problem I'd see is how long his turns must take.

My fix for that with my Shepherd druid was to just always have my statblocks ready and never ever summon more than two creatures at once. I still got to summon but I also wasn't hogging all the table time during combat.

Maybe some kind of slapdash swarm-rules thing for his skellies to make his turns go faster?
>>
>>62923208
Honestly, does anyone even listen to Crawford? Do people even like him?
>>
>>62923109
>>62923185
Yeah...
There isn't even really a reason to go Rogue 1. I'm just kinda tired of casters being the only ones that get to do this stuff, and Rogue is the closest I can think of to a trap happy character. I mean, technically Ranger, but...
>>
>>62923270
>>62923247
>>62923211
And it's called Daylight. Why not name it Illuminate.
>>
>>62923354
My group constantly tries to dodge shit by using whatever crap Crawford spews on twitter to avoid trying to do something or getting away with something. It feels more like I'm babysitting them than actually running a game since the rules are only there when they are convenient for them most of the time.
>>
Guys, just because the shield master ruling was bad doesn't suddenly mean that all his rulings were bad.
>>
>>62923425
No, but the fact that all his rulings are bad means that all of his rulings are bad.

Go on, post a good ruling. I dare you.
>>
>>62923208
I followed the link terrified of what I might find, but he only seems to be saying that you have to attack before Shield Master, as in you can't shove, attack, attack. All he says is you must do Y before X, not that Y can't be interrupted by X if applicable.
>>62923178 everything this anon says seems fine?
>>
>>62923185
But why? Their only unique feature at this point is sneak attack, and it's crap.
>>
>>62923425
Honestly, Mearls may be a dumbass, but at least his rulings operate on the concept of "let the players do cool stuff", whereas it feels like Crawford explicitely tries to answer in a way that makes all the cool things not possible and every mechanic exists to make your game less fun

>>62923472
Nope, his ruling is that you must finish ALL your attacks. So the only possible use for the shove prone thing is
>Attack, Attack, Shove
And ensure all your ranged allies fucking hate you
>>
>>62923502
crawford does allow cool things for wizards, and as a collateral result sometimes other casters.
>>
>>62923311
They're supposed to be basic, mundane customs, I realize now I should have made that clear. Which I'm worried has derailed things.
I don't really want to give every martial a sword of wounding, they're supposed to be rare.
>>
>>62923502

This, he made the feat useless, and his logic for it was
>Well if we don't do this people could use the bonus action shove and then decide not to attack or make it impossible for themselves to attack! That'd be a paradox!

Which is not what anyone did while the previous interpretation was out there, and of course not what any DM with a head on their shoulders would allow anyway. He corrected for a problem that wasn't there.
>>
>>62923446
The vast majority of them are just pedestrian shit like "action surge doesn't give you another bonus action" because most of the questions are from people that can't read. Even so I would say that something like
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/12/sorcerer-subtle-spell-vs-counterspell/
is a good ruling just to make sure that new/bad DMs don't try to pull some stupid shit. Most of his rulings fall in that category I think.
>>
>>62923473
Their stealth is good enough that's it's basically perma-semi-invisibility and after a while they can't roll below a 10. Swashbuckler gets an at will compelled duel if I remember correctly. They're a cool class, one of my favorites.
>>
File: people are retarded.png (45 KB, 875x227)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>62923446
All the rulings that are essentially Crawford telling people on twitter to read the fucking book.
>>
>>62923550
You can just slap an effect similar to 4e and call it a day.
>If you have advantage in the attack roll, a living target takes 1d4 damage at the start of each of its turns. The target can make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect in a success.
Obviously you give it the chance of stacking.

>>62923559
>Well if we don't do this people could use the bonus action shove and then decide not to attack or make it impossible for themselves to attack! That'd be a paradox!

His logic was that he didn't like the "cheese factory" that was knocking an opponent down in order to gain advantage every so often. He explicitly said so in one of his tweets.
>>
Soooooo, shield master is useless now?
>>
>>62923619

Alright, that's actually a pretty decent ruling.
>>
>>62923674
>"cheese factory" that was knocking an opponent down in order to gain advantage every so often

Because everyone knows that would never happen in a real fight. Crawford is such a fag.
>>
>>62923652
Okay, that's fair. Any rulings that are obvious are okay. But whenever he is required to break new ground, or solve an actual ambiguity in the text, he defaults to "fuck martials, fuck fun"
>>
>>62923652
Don't try that fucking shit, you know it's not that simple.
A melee attack is not the same as a melee weapon attack is not the same as hitting with a melee weapon.
>>
>>62923502
I still don't understand how he killed it.

>if a feature says you can do X as a bonus action if you do Y, you must do Y before you can do X. For Shield Master, that means the bonus action must come after the Attack action. You decide when it happens afterward that turn.

He just said after you take the attack action, not after you've finished all the attacks. The wording is ambiguous enough to leave the possibility in.
>>
>>62923735
He just can't wash the 3.5 out of his mouth, where every rule and design was implemented specifically to fuck martials in the ass. He didn't get the memo that shit was taken out in 4e.
>>
>>62923675
Not useless. If you have other melee dudes in your party, it's a good way to set up extra damage for them. Plus, you can still use your reaction to take no damage on successful DEX saves, and you still get the shield bonus to single-target DEX saves.
>>
>>62923735
The whole twin dragon's breath ruling is one of the few times where I think Crawford has been 100% wrong. At least with the shield master ruling I understand his interpretation even if I disagree with it, him saying that dragon's breath has more than one target is just flat out not true.
>>
>>62923786
This. It turns your bonus action into advantage for the rest of the party against one creature.
>>
>>62923758
Another one of his tweets in that same combo mentions that you must make ALL attacks when you take the attack action before doing anything else. Meaning that if you have extra attack, you must use BOTH and then you can shove.
>>
>>62923793
Yeah, that's why tipped me off Crawford was a no-fun-allowed cunt who had no idea what he was doing.
The same reasoning that says twinned dragon's breath is not allowed can be used to say twinned haste is not allowed. But crawfish is completely fine with twinned haste.
He's full of shit.
>>
>>62923674
That's really good, I was trying to avoid extra damage because I want to keep bounded accuracy sort of a thing, but the save at the end of their turn to remove all instances is great. Stupidly, stupidly obvious too.
I think I'll keep the speed thing, and have the creature save at the start of its turn.
>>
>>62923798
An entire party's worth of attacks is okay but not 1-2 extra from the fighter? The class can't even smite of a crit and action surge is once per short rest. What is there to break by allowing it?

>>62923832
>There's a rule that allows you to insert movement between your attacks (PH, 190). There's intentionally no rule that allows you to nest actions/reactions inside each other. They are meant to have integrity as processes, except when we create exceptions meant to disrupt them

You mean this anon? This tweet I just found anon? This dumb fucking tweet that exists for no other reason than to fuck martials anon?
Why is swinging a sword such a sin?
>>
DMing for a group of kids tomorrow, who've never played an RPG. Just going to try get them through basic rules and character creation, and if we have time after a small scenario or encounter; its not a long term thing, just a 1shot so they can see if they like it. Any good suggestions on premade content I can run them through? I can just hash together a small encounter of giant spiders or zombies (easy to understand and get through) but I'd love some 'intro encounters' crafted by people with more time and passion than myself.
>>
>Paladin multiclasses into sorcerer
>Takes heightened spell to my relief
>One of those "I know everything better than you" players that don't know anything
>Tries to use it on a cantrip
:)
I want to die.
>>
>>62923951
>What is there to break by allowing it?
Nothing, really, but not allowing it doesn't render it useless like some people seem to think. That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with using it after one attack, rather than the completed Attack action, though.
>>
File: Made in Abyss Bondrewd.png (102 KB, 481x416)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>62923951
It just occurred to me how boundlessly retarded it is to determine what a player can or can't do with a rule intentionally left out of the book.
It's the exact opposite of how rules have worked since time immemorial.
Let me just jump in this fucking time machine and tell Hammurabi that he was actually wrong, if you want people to not murder each other, DON'T write it down for all to see.
>>
File: 1383076563064.jpg (24 KB, 255x206)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>62924011

What's the hot new multiclass for this, Sorcadin with one to three levels of Hexblade?
>>
File: bkubdrewds.jpg (150 KB, 1000x750)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>62924057
When will 5E have grafts?
>>
who /improvisingliterallyeverything/ here
>>
Where do I get combat music for Kobold encounters? I don't want to make them too wacky but I can't really use anything too serious.
>>
>>62924030
Why make the ruling then? If it isn't a problem why fix it? Why make a ruling that only serves to worsen issues that already exist. Nothing else is abusing the nested action thing as far as I can tell, why not wait until it becomes an issue.
Why can't martials do cool things on their own. Why do we have to sacrifice our action economy to prone a person, when a wizard can spend an abstract spell slot to literally fly. It's like casters are given 10 bonus actions and an entire lists of abilities to use them with, while we have to get a feat just to use ours on something mundane.
>>
>>62924150
Bugger if I know.
>>
>>62924146
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQQxv1D1ns
>>
Give me ideas for a paladin /tg/

I want to smite all the evil
>>
>>62924117
Ravnica would be a prime opportunity what with the Simic and all, but I doubt it'll happen.
>>
File: bon what.jpg (54 KB, 400x800)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>62924206
RIP attaching a wyvern's tail to your ass.
>>
>>62924182
>>
>>62924182
an evil guy who smites evil so there will be less evil competing against him. In otherwords, a paladin of communism.
>>
File: DeusVult.jpg (187 KB, 1280x720)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>62924235
https://youtu.be/cj2HvGPv0XM
>>
>>62924182

Dragonborn Conquest Pallie with the Dragon Roar feat.
>>
Skills suck in 5e
>>
>>62924296
IN THE NAME OF GOD
I always lose it at BEGONE THOT.
>>
pdf rips of ravnica and mad mage when?!
>>
>>62924502
Probably sometime after they come out, on the 20th.
>>
>>62924516
they just dropped on D&D beyond
>>
>>62924421
skills have always sucked in DnD
>>
>>62920562
Very excited.
In the next game, the warlock uses a mask of many faces and takes on the image of a red-haired prostitute. Go to a poor quarter hoping to attract the attention of a serial killer.
We will secretly follow the warlock.
In the party there is a female barbarian half-orc, but she is too big to be a bait.
We are the fourth level, and we do not know the essence of the enemy. This is definitely not a human, maybe a werewolf or a dopglanger.
But he killed a whole guard patrol.
And maybe he's part of something bigger.
>>
>>62924502
>mad mage
After 13th.
>>
>>62924563
2e's Nonweapon proficiencies had a few really cool options
>Knowing the birth date and time of any person, the astrologer can study the stars and celestial events and then prepare a forecast of the future for that person. The astrologer's insight into the future is limited to the next 30 days, and his knowledge is vague at best. If a successful proficiency check is made, the astrologer can foresee some general event--a great battle, a friend lost, a new friendship made, etc. The DM decides the exact prediction (based on his intentions for the next few gaming sessions).
>>
>>62924589
nothing is stopping you from doing that in 5e.
>>
Player wants to have a specter for his warlock's pact of chain.
It's the same cr as an imp or quasit, should I allow or the incorporeal movement and go reducing is going to be op?
>>
>>62924617
Nothing is also explicitly saying you CAN do it either, and so it's entirely on the DM to allow such a thing to be possible. Also blind fighting is a really cool thing that needs to be brought over to 5e at some point.

>A character with blind-fighting is skilled at fighting in conditions of poor or no light (but this proficiency does not allow spell use). In total darkness, the character suffers only a -2 penalty to his attack roll (as compared to a -4 penalty without this proficiency). Under starlight or moonlight, the character incurs only a -1 penalty. The character suffers no penalties to his AC because of darkness.

>Furthermore, the character retains special abilities that would normally be lost in darkness, although the effectiveness of these are reduced by one-half (proficiency checks are made at half the normal score, etc.). This proficiency is effective only against opponents or threats within melee distance of the character. Blind-fighting does not grant any special protection from missile fire or anything outside the immediate range of the character's melee weapon. Thus, AC penalties remain for missile fire. (By the time the character hears the whoosh of the arrow, for example, it is too late for him to react.)

>While moving in darkness, the character suffers only half the normal movement penalty of those without this proficiency.

>Furthermore, this skill aids the character when dealing with invisible creatures, reducing the attack penalty to -2. However, it does not enable the character to discover invisible creatures; he has only a general idea of their location and cannot target them exactly.
>>
>>62924646
>and hp reducing
Fix'd
>>
>>62924646
Don't, same CR is NOT a good indication of whether it's equivalent as a familiar option because CR is determined by a ton of different factors.
>>
Should I make my campaign's world map by hand or just use a generator?
>>
>>62924679
you realize half those penalties that Blind Fighting negates don't even exist in 5e, right?
>>
>>62924745
•How much time do you have?
>>
>>62924775
I got a week
>>
>>62924758
Of course, I'm saying the idea of blind fighting is something that should be brought back in some form, because at the moment the only way to get past things like darkness spells is to be a warlock or have high level light spells available.

I'm not saying a 1:1 port of how it was in 2e, but just bring it back in some way
>>
>>62924745
Use Dwarf Fortress. You won't be able to come up with a geographically accurate map anyway.
>>
>>62924805
it is, Alert Feat and Ranger's Feral Senses, granted those aren't necessarily GOOD options but it is
>something that should be brought back in some form
>>
>>62924814
Shit why didn't I think of that
>>
Party of 3 lvl5 chars (Warwizard, Thief, Totembarb) are entering a tunnel through a huge mountain range soon.
How many umberhulks can they take? if just one, what enemies should go alongside it?
What are some cool things to do in a tunnel?
>>
>>62924855
>What are some cool things to do in a tunnel?
gas, flooding, collapse
>>
>>62924843
Because you have DOO DOO for brains!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>62924843
I used it and then ignored most of the cities/hamlets and placed my own markings with paint.exe on places that would make a cool location for a town or village. Gave it some names et voila.
I'd upload it but the file is too large.
>>
>>62924855
Use the tunnel to try to force players to look at the Umber Hulk. Maybe have a gust of wind push them towards it, and the ground has tripwires so if they don't look at the Umber Hulk they'll fall over and get eaten by rats
>>
I love Leomund's tiny hut!
>>
How best do I crit fish as a paladin?

I want to fuck around with a dex based elven accuracy twfing paladin
>>
>>62924863
Collapse would be cheesy
It's a dwarven made tunnel that leads to their capital under the mountain. Gases and flooding caused by borrowing monsters would be cool.
>>62924896
See above. Tripwires don't make much sense, because the tunnel is more or less frequently used as a trade and travel route to get to dorf town.
>>
>>62924896
>and the ground has tripwires so if they don't look at the Umber Hulk they'll fall over
how would looking at the umber hulk prevent them from falling over the tripwires around their feet? If they are looking at the Hulk, they aren't watching their feet
>>
>>62924117
A conceptual template already exists, just refluff blessings but remove them from deific ties and allow their function beyond body part supressed in anti magic fields.
>>
File: 1533693145465.gif (2.03 MB, 556x720)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB GIF
I'm gonna send ten
no
FIFTEEN goblins at my first level players
AT ONCE
>>
>>62924956
you weebs have no morals...
>>
>>62924956
>muh grimdark
>muh grit
>>
>>62924182
Triton Oath of Ancients, a staunch defender of the lightless depths now risen to make villains wuake with fear.
>>
File: 235852770038212.png (402 KB, 604x409)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
>>62924956
HE'S A MADMAN
SOMEONE STOP HIM
>>
>>62924232
Well, i assume you would cut it rather than rip it. Or at least shave to fit from the ragged edge to properly interface with your character’s spine
>>
>>62924978
>>62924956
HE’S A LOOSE CANNON!
>>
>>62924920
It must be exhausting being your DM.
>ok lads, new campaign, what are your characters
>everyone has some basic chars with an amateurish backstory but at least they made the effort
>except anon who just sits there with a shit eating grin again
>first combat encounter of the day
>anon finally starts paying attention
>proudly presents his next meme build
>DM lets out an annoyed sigh
>>
I'm going to be DMing for the first time with a group of friends, some of whom have never played before. I've already played a couple of games.
I was think of running Deepwater Dragon heist, is it a good idea? If everything goes well transition into Dungeon of the mad wizard.
Do you have suggestions otherwise for a first initiation of DnD? I was told to simply run the starter set but I dont want a generic bland fantasy start. Do you guys have recommandations for some good starter adventure books?
>>
>>62924956
sounds sexy
>>
>>62924956
>>62924978
>>62925017
That's it anon. Hand over your Monster Manual and your dice
>>
>>62925044
I always recommend a one shot with a social and a combat aspect.
Begin with the social section at the where they need to inquire about the quest/dungeon. That freeform part has few rules, they get used to the style of p&p and you can call for some checks to let them roll a die then and now.
Then go to the first combat encounter.
Bonus Points for a little puzzle for the maximum dnd experience.

After that they will probably have an idea if they might enjoy this and they can keep their characters for a proper campaign or try something new.
>>
>>62925063
lewd weeb funny ironic shitpost desu senpai yaddiyada ok I appreciate your effort
>>
File: gahtzu.jpg (13 KB, 278x200)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>62922433
>Thunder damage
>near death
>explodes head

Am I reading this chart incorrectly?
>>
>>62925044
Generic fantasy starts are good for experience building and expectation setting, two things that are integral to the player experience. When you run dfferent material or your own material, your "new" players will have something to compare to
>>
>>62925126
Thunder damage is caused by sonic sources. 5e typically refers to high fantasy as default. You're reading it right
>>
>>62924956
it's okay anon we can make this work

just give them a chokepoint
and a defense fighter
and a forge cleric with Shield of Faith
have the fighter block the choke and Dodge while the party spams cantrips from behind

22 ac bring on the goblins
>>
>>62925166
how the fuck are you not dead when your head "explodes" and is "turned to red soup"??
>>
>>62925202
the gobins will have 3/4 cover from the tank though
>>
>>62925209
I assume the fatal ones in the far right column are used to describe the killing blow
>>
>>62925209
I read the Near Death column as what happens when a target is killed by said damage type or what the aftermath looks like

Taking a look at other descriptions
>vital organ severed
>body caves
>gead is pierced
>warped organs
>head burnt to bone
>head frozen solid
>>
>>62925100
What's a good starting CR for a 4 player level 1 encounter? Should I put an equal amount of ennemis or a big guy to entertain them with flavor text?
>>
>>62925299
uhhh... CR of 1 is pretty okay. you know what CR is right?

generally more enemies of lower CR is more fun, but slows down combat. it's a tradeoff.
>>
>>62920562
Funny the OP picture is from a sequel game from a previously popular franchise that only got worse from that point on.
>>
>>62925333
CR is challenge rating right? I'm just not sure how to calculate it for my group. My old DM would always give us too much or not enough.
>>
>>62925356
>CR is challenge rating right?
you should not be DMing yet.
>>
>>62925356
A single CR 1 creature is fit for a 4 player party of first level, as per the DMG. Page 81 is the start of the Creating Encounters section
>>
>>62925392
Thanks lad, great fucking advice.
>>62925404
Thanks I'm going to look it up. It's basically a way to filter out my monsters for my party's level right? To distribute my xp properly. So I could do two 1/4 and a 1/2 for my first encounter.
>>
>>62925488
>Thanks lad, great fucking advice.
hey man, if you don't even know what CR is, you are not ready to run a game. Go back and hit the books.
>>
>>62925488
I saw a panel recently where they said nobody needs to know the rules or even open the books to be a DM. You can do that or you can choose to play by the rules and start by reading them and looking things up in the book or srd you don't know.

So you have two options and in the second one you really shouldn't be DMing yet until you know these things. In the first option sure, nothing fucking matters, just have fun. Take your pick.
>>
>>62921207
>Darkvision just means you can see in darkness with no limitations
no limitations except you're effectively color blind and see only in grays, right?
>>
>>62925488
CR 1/4 is 50 xp
CR 1/2 is 100 xp
The encounter you describe has a total xp of 200

Because there are 3 total creatures, in order to gauge the difficulty, we multiply the xp by 2. This is not additional xp to the players, this is purely to gauge difficulty

200 x 2 = 400

For a 4 player party of first level adventurers, this encounter is ranked Deadly. A Deadly encounter is expected to have one or more PC fatalities

If you wish for an example in fiction, the second episode of Grimgar depicts a 6 person party of first level adventurers against a single gobbo. If we apply 5e ruling to this, the encounter is rated at 50 xp. The party's rated threshold is 150 for an Easy encounter. This encounter should be trivial, but it turns out very differently
>>
>>62925657
>I saw a panel recently where they said nobody needs to know the rules or even open the books to be a DM.
That's the same kind of feelgood bullshit that says everyone can be an astronaut if they try real hard.
>>
How does /5eg/ feel about playable terrain?

I currently run a grid free game on whiteboard cum butcher paper but one of my players has a 3d printer and I dumped him some ship files from thingaverse to play with.
>>
>>62925742
Not really, it's more like a cargo cult. But at least they're having fun right?
>>
>>62925234
yeah which is why the casters don't use attack cantrips they use spells with DCs like Poison Spray Spare the Dead etc

I'm telling you it can work
>>
File: 1537648889427.jpg (11 KB, 318x313)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>62921190
>>62921339
I made it there but we stopped playing the first session in due to group problems. :(
>>
>>62925805
>But at least they're having fun right?
Define "fun," because I've experienced someone try to DM without reading a single relevant book and it was not what most people would refer to as "fun."
>>
>>62921507
Instead of crafting, have them do research onto the item, spend time consulting artificers and other experts, get leads and then after a few sessions of asking around give them the final hook that leads to a dungeon or something where they have to prove their worth by outsmarting the traps or perhaps they have to make a deal with a nobleman to do a job or two for him and he will part with the item. if you want them spending time and effort let them find it through roleplaying imo.
>>
File: d3-dual-axe-barbarian.jpg (132 KB, 750x900)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
What's the best way to do a dual wielder barb? Take 3 levels of Brute first? Just go full Brute instead?
>>
File: liz.png (111 KB, 217x290)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
I'm accepting names for my spooky evil forest. So far I have the Dark Forest, the Haunted Woods, and Spooky Tree Area.
>>
>>62922182
Every age is too old for stale hentai jokes.
>>
File: 1539500129392.jpg (216 KB, 850x1044)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
Lemme talk about how amazing my last session was
>half reboot since our PCs got merk'd, all our fault
>we get new characters in a world progressed a few months, shit is more fucked than ever
>old cities we partied in have been over run by the legions of the undead
>tasked with taking back a port
>MGS our way in, everyone using skills and utility to get in despite multiple chances for combat
>make it to the main tower entry where we were directed to go
>atrium courtyard has a ceiling of bone
>nice remodelling.kek
>bone ettin rises from across the courtyard and bone pillars spit out flaming skeletons
>oh shit boys.avi
>Duke it out until we realize we are taking too much of a pounding and escape up the tower after the cavalier finally ditches his ride
>bard with a lizard mount scales the tower as we make it up the spiral stairs
>giga nigga dr.doom death knight waiting for us
>bard makes a joke through the archery slits in the wall
>death knight blows a hole in the wall where the bard is clinging "to make an entrance for her"
>getting late so wrap it up and leave it on a cliffhanger
>bard instantly goes in a fit about getting a save or how pissed theyll be if their resummonable mount dies
It was almost perfect bros, I've never had such creative ability and roleplay in years and that just was a sour ending.
Thanks for reading
>>
>>62925935
Ghastly Direvale
>>
>>62925935
Webwood. It has spiders and ettercaps.
>>
>>62925930
Brute Two-Weapon Fighting Fighter 3/ Bear Totem barbarian 17. Use Shortswords, go DEX + CON and wreck everything while taking basically no damage.
>>
>>62925935
Hagshood, Devilbrush, Widow's Glade.
>>
>>62925935
what in habits the woods. more details the better about said forest. what is it that makes it 'spooky'
>>
What class would make a good flagellant?
>>
>>62920562
I intended a neat little dungeon in a library, but that got waylaid by the party's "captain" (they're on a boat, it's hers, so she ultimately decides where to sail) wanting to visit every island on the way. So I made one of the islands, which recently suffered an eruption, the site of an old antagonist's continued operations.

They're going to find his minions running the show and learn he's out on the sea hunting for them.
>>
>>62926022
But anon, what if I want to wield axes.
>>
>>62920690
I'm making a tiefling chaos knight: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Chaos_Knight_(5e_Class)
DM is making me lower the hit die to d10, but is accepting it otherwise.
>>
>>62920777
Working with evil to do good doesn’t make you evil. Especially if you didn’t know.

If you hired a dude to paint your house but he turns out to be a serial killer in his spare time - that doesn’t make you evil.
>>
So is a Cheinga OP to use as a familiar on a flavor character with literally no offensive spells?

The whole at will Pass without Trace thing obviously needs a nerf but besides that they should be fine, right?
>>
>>62920777
>Should I knock any of them down in alignment for working with Lolth though?

Only if you're going to shift Lolth up several alignments for working with 3 good creatures.
>>
>>62926242
What if he paints Your house with orphan blood?
>>
How do I pull off entire early sessions without the use of combat when the characters are just starting out?
I don't want to throw much combat their way this early but am also wondering how to do an investigation plot properly to give them a bit of a challenge searching for clues without making it literally "Here's a city, there's clues inside, find them" or just handholding them to a solution.

Basically: How do I make the old "Find the cultists" plot take some time and not immediately be done with or lead to fighting?
>>
Is there any sort of class or archetype (besides rogue) that would fit thematically well with a character that is an entrepreneur to the extreme and would see the campaign (and party) as means of making as much bank as possible? Not stealing, just being a really charismatic salesman.
Im thinking Sorcerer could be cool but I dont know anything about it or it's archetypes minus Wild Magic, and alot of the others can seem weak if you run into something with a resistance to your specialization.
>>
>True Strike
>Your magic gives you insight into the enemy's defenses
If it told you the target's AC on top of the advantage, would it be fixed?
>>
>>62926414
Sleazy scumbag Bards using charm and disguise magic.
Currently playing a Glamour Bard that worked with a Rogue to make bank. Charm some audience members, have Rogue loot those people's wallets while they're mad fans of the Bard, keep using various different disguises to keep doing it all over the country.
>>
>play Divine Warlock with Chain
>just revived my familiar (Tressym) after it got stomped on by a Giant hiding inside a rock face when scouting a mountain path
>head into sewers in town to investigate a potential Wererat infestation
>send familiar down the tunnel to find out where they have their nest, obviously in flight
>DM makes me roll a Dex save for it
>"You suddenly lose connection to your familiar, it seems to have been killed. You then here the sound of movement swelling up in that direction."
>got swiped out of the air in 1 attack by a Wererat
Why the fuck even try to use a fucking Familiar when this piece of shit is killed the moment I ever use it as more than a pet and messenger? We're at level 5 and I can't use my primary class gimmick anymore because it's so fucking expensive to summon it all the time this early.

Did I miss some line about chain Warlocks getting some sort of benefit to get their fsmiliar back without spending 10 fucking gold and needing a specific brazier or are these things supposed to never fucking live?
>>
File: cd6.jpg (13 KB, 305x309)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
I was invited to my second ever session by a friendly customer i know from work. Im a newb and terrified of pissing off my DM or being annoying. Is this a ok background for a NE half elf- sorcerer? I think it may be too long/complicated.

"Eradyne spent his earlier years living amongst the High-Elves of (Settlement). The son of the powerful Elvish wizard, His mother Aphaea; Eradyne grew up knowing that one day he
too would become as fearsome, awesome, and respected as she was. Aphaea's extraordinary powers and skills attracted the fear and sometimes jealousy of some who lived in (settlement).
Many believed she had secretly made a pact with a evil deity; others, that one day she would destroy the very colony she had grew up and lived in for her entire life. Despite this, and his half human heritage,Eradyne had a relatively normal life, and enjoyed the privilege of being related to such a influential member of society. However, many secretly mistrusted and despised the half elf; seeing him only as the constant reminder of his mother's betrayal of her heritage and culture; and at worst, a potentially dangerous enturder and liability, unfit to live in their society.

Eradyne had a close, and loving relationship with his mother, often spending time reading books with her and falling asleep in her study after hearing hours of stories about her adventures and travels. Aphaea spoke little
Of Eradyne’s father or the circumstances of his birth, preferring to change the subject by insuring him that she would tell all that he wanted to know when he was old enough to understand."

>Cont.
>>
>>62926548
On Eradyne's 14th birthday, he woke to find that his mother had mysteriously vanished, leaving no trace or explanation as to why; with only one of her most prized pendants left behind. Devastated, Eradyne spent months trying to find any trace of his mother, every day growing less hopeful that he'd ever see her again. Exactly one year later, Eradyne began to miraculously manifest uncontrolled magic abilities. Frightened by this sudden unexplained power, Eradyne sought out the knowledge collected in his mothers study, only to discover that whenever he tried to read about, improve, or learn about his new found power, he became afflicted with massive headaches and extreme nausea; and the words written on the pages would blur and warp. Without any way to quell or control his magic; and without his mothers guidance, over the course of two years Eradanye powers quickly spiraled out of control and resentment and fear of him within (settlement) increased every day. Taking this as a confirmation of his potential danger, the high council of (Settlement) quickly expelled Eradyne, allowing him never to return again.

From then on Eradyne wandered, eventually settling in sprawling city. There, he found life hard, barely having enough coin to feed and house himself; With some mistrusting and shunning him as much as the elves in his former home did. Eventually, he vowed to do whatever he could to survive. He learned to use his charisma and good looks to sway and manipulate others into getting what he wanted; and his raw powers to dispose of those who got in the way of his plans. Forging a new identity for himself, Eradyne squeezed his way into influential circles; delighting elites and commoners alike with his
superficial charm and pleasant demeanor; all the while seeking more power and plotting revenge on his former homeland.

Now at age 25, Eradyna seeks to find a way to set his plans in motion, and solve the mystery of his mother's disappearance... at any cost."
>>
>>62926525
Your fault for using a tressym. A rat, bat or spider will be ignored by most.
>>
>>62926548

ask your DM and not us, anon. We don't fucking know about your setting or anything. If you're gonna have fun playing this character then it doesn't matter that much anyhow."
>>
>>62926525
Pretty much >>62926566

If you're a chainlock you can even get familiars that can turn invisible
>>
Level 4 ASI for a nature cleric with Shillelagh
Torn between picking up Magic Initiate for Booming Blade and Find Familiar as I'm one of the two melee dudes in my entire group, or maybe War Caster for concentration, or just pumping Wis to 18
>>
>>62920562
Yes. Very much so. I found out the guy my character took a job from to find some magical metal is the same guy who has been experimenting on and killing children. I have just found some of the metal he wanted, so I plan to bring him to it, get what I was promised, and then kill him.

In the other game, the story is ramping up towards some showdowns with bad guys we've been chasing for a while too, so it'll be some justice for all type shit across both games.
>>
>>62926566
Obviously, but resummoning it as something suited for the situation also needs a full cast of the spell. If you have no idea what you're in for and even took the Incantations for your familiar because having one and having a personal bond to it is one of your character's main traits then you'd not by default summon some random ass critter with no special abilities other than "tiny".
>>
>>62920562
>Making an Undying Light warlock
>Wanting to make it a "blacklight" warlock
>Make it all about revealing things hidden to both the light and the dark
>Basically be running around shooting neon Eldritch Blasts and shit
I love the idea of it but I want a good flavor for the origin of my pact. DM doesnt care if I change the fluff but I want to get something flavorful but I am drawing a blank. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>62921213
I had this too. I challenged the DM on it and he got pissy. I explained that the purpose of taking utility spells like that is so speed up the process of learning things, so we don't have to spend sessions finding some guy who can do it just because.

Needless to say, it became an argument that he said "I'm the DM, deal with it." to. And I left.
>>
>>62926548
>http://www.hemingwayapp.com/
Plug your backstory into that text field and look at statistics. Your passage takes two minutes to read. The last time I wrote a backstory with the PHB personality traits alone, it was a 1 minute read. After DM gave further details and assimilated the character into the world, the backstory turned into a 3 minute read
>>
>>62922781
You keep the movement. And it used to be Advantage on one attack per round, so maybe keep it as that?
>>
>>62926436
Yeah, probably. Though you can honestly infer an enemy's AC after a 3-4 attacks. Less if the DM describes things in more depth than "it misses."
>>
Planning of giving my players some minor homebrew magic items to get a head start and have something to define their character's abilities and playstyle even early on. So far we got
- magic teacup that let's the Wizard summon a familiar (that fits into it) for free once per day
- magic vial containing a Minor HP Pot that refills daily
- magic caligraohy brush that can translate written common languages by swiping over them
Are any of those too busted or should this be fine for a level 1 start? Campaign is primarily RP and flavor focused rather than on combat, not meant to be super deadly in any way.
>>
>>62926272
Make Pass Without Trace self only, change Magical Gift to an item off the Trinket tables.
>>
>>62921213
As a DM, some spells can be frustrating.
You can think of an obstacle and a few interesting ways to overcome it and a spell will always be the most boring one for the DM to observe.
DMs don't want to ruin your fun when they rule that a spell fails. Sometimes the extra effort is part of the experience.
In your particular case it wasn't really necessary to let the spell fail but maybe the language will come up later again and the nPC will be important for this.
>>
>>62926674
I don't like the brush. Familiars can be annoying if the wizard is a memer but don't have to.
>>
>>62920777
Alignment should literally never affect mechanics. It's a quick way to give a ballpark description of a character's behavior, not a contract or input into some formula. Make your decisions for what happens based on what is true in your world. Don't think about the 9 points in the fucking 3x3 plot.
>>
File: 1341371483656.png (130 KB, 466x720)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>62926710
>validate a player's decision making and problem solving
>make a player feel one of their earliest, limited build decisions is worthless and wasted
Which is the more net negative player experience?

>As a DM, some spells can be frustrating.
>As a DM, player success is frustrating
>>
>>62926724
He promised to not try and abuse the familiar somehow. I feel like the 1/day summon should be enough of a dampener to keep things sane.

Think the brush is too strong or too weak? If too strong I'd limit it to languages previously seen or something, if too weak, I was considering giving him advantage on any checks involving texts and on Cha checks when talking to scholars. He's playing a pretty stereotypical Kitsune Samurai complete with the whole well educated, well read shtick and couldn't think of a fitting item for that.
>>
>>62921860
Give it exploding dice. Whenever you roll maximum on the damage roll, you may roll the dice again and add it to the total. Gives a reason to not GWF as exploding dice is easier on lower damage die.
>>
>>62922050
Fireball, Turn Undead, resist non magical BPS, wind wall
>>
>>62926624
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argus_Panoptes
>>
>>62922232
Necro 6 only takes effect on creating the undead, it doesn't give you a bonus on casting to maintain control
>>
>>62922482
Haunted one is a background in cos. Every edge lord takes it
>>
>>62926793
>weeb
>intellectually dishonest or just really bad reading comprehension
Not gonna enagage with this. You don't get it and your dumb accusations just show what kind of player vs dm mentality you have.
>>
>>62923060
Reminder that it's the spell slots that are supposed to equal the superiority dice. Cantrips are supposed to be neutral and war magic is supposed to be like Know Your Enemy.
>>
>>62926795
I think the olayers should deal with their composition choice. If they don't have a dwarf in the party and no one who knows dwarven they should deal with the consequences of that, not have a magic tool that just solves the problem. Except they want an easy time. Then go ahead.
>>
File: brainlet towers.jpg (19 KB, 293x326)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>62926890
You mean the kind of DM vs Player mentality that drives retards like you to force players into failing?
>>
>>62924679
Rogue, nigger
>>
>>62926946
Epic troll.
Here take your 21st letter in the alphabet and shut up.
>>
>>62925356
Read dmg. Read mm. Medium encounter (expect around 6-8 of these to be possible over a 1 lr/2 sr adventuring day) is roughly CR = Party level if everyone is same level. If new, under CR before over CR. More monsters is usually more difficult than less monsters but stronger.
>>
Rolled a new barbarian a while back, how shit is Storm Herald? Looking at it on paper looks like a bunch of nothing, is it at least good RP wise?
>>
File: 1344346470015.png (1021 KB, 958x707)
1021 KB
1021 KB PNG
>>62926890
>player vs dm mentality
>asking about the player experience equates to antagonizing the DM
>>
>>62927123
it's garbage and brings little to RP with honestly. Totem and Ancestral Guardian are the best to RP with as a DM worth their salt will build in your willingness to appease your Spirit Totem or Ancestors.
>>
>>62927222
nigga get some new pictures
>>
File: 1335806040830.jpg (78 KB, 628x555)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>62927281
>>
File: 1453535400086.png (349 KB, 600x449)
349 KB
349 KB PNG
>>62926890
>You honestly don't get that me, as the DM, telling you that this spell you took for this exact situation doesn't work because I haven't wanked off enough to how much an EXPERIENCE this mundane obstacle is being to the party

No, I get it, it's just boring and stupid. It's like telling the Thief "Well, I know your proficiency with Thieves' Tools makes you the best locksmith for a hundred miles, but you can't pick the lock on this seemingly ordinary door! It's lock is too ANCIENT for your hands to comprehend." and then they find the key being sold by an antiques dealer in town.

If my character can only circumvent obstacles and challenges that the DM approves them too, why am I even playing?
>>
>>62920562

Didn't they SJW Antonina Bayle up later and make her ugly?
>>
File: I have given up.jpg (14 KB, 480x480)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
I give up, /5eg/.
I'm tired of trying again and again.
Every time I try to socialize and play the game, it doesn't work out.
I either have a problem with how the group plays, how the players behave, how inexperienced everyone is or how concrete facts and information gained in game get dismissed just for the sake of stupidity and "I want to try that" mentalities.
I hate socializing in the first place, and being forced to do it in order to try to enjoy a game I was really trying to enjoy for all these years just isn't cutting it.
I'm going to just stick to solo-storywriting based on dnd material, because this playing and thing just isn't meant for some people, and I personally feel cheated every time I play the game with anyone but myself.
>>
>>62923833
>The same reasoning that says twinned dragon's breath is not allowed can be used to say twinned haste is not allowed
No, it can't. Fucking hell. Drop it already. It's the same as the reasoning for Greatberry plus the reasoning for Ice Knife.
>>
>>62927382
I completely relate

I know it's me that changed, but what can I do about it? I'm just a jaded truly antisocial shutin
>>
>>62927382
Have you considered playing with autists? DM ain't gonna let OOC social shit go on for a second and will remember every fact/info to the letter
>>
>>62924679
Alert feat gives blind-fighting.
>>
>>62927242

Yeah I was afraid of that, the rest of the party seems to think I'd enjoy it but boy it looks not great mechanically.

Totem it is I guess, the character doesn't really fit with Ancestral Guardian
>>
>>62927332
>>62927289
>>62927222
>weeb just keeps shitposting
wierd flex but ok
>>
File: 1342063258120.jpg (43 KB, 640x480)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>62927521
>>
>>62927222
And yet you never ask about the DM experience.
>>
>>62927222
Speaking of player vs DM
>we talk in both ic and ooc on how to safely progress through a predicament
>newguy has a realization and bursts out, "hey why are we talking about this when the DM can hear us? Won't he just alter his encounters depending on our plans that we just laid out in front of him?"
I giggled.
>>
>>62927605
A good DM wouldn't make any changes based on that knowledge
>>
>>62920777
>My players have managed to convince Lolth to assist them in slaying an Ancient White Dragon.
Ballsy idiots. If she doesn't try to fuck them over the minute she no longer needs them, I will be very suprised. I mean it's fucking Lolth, the closest thing to the "chaotic evil ultimate evil" FR has. She has no concept of gratitude, and probably just sees them as tools to be discared when no longer needed and new souls to torment for her amusment. You have to be desperate or batshit insane to try and struck a deal with her. I actually wonder how they managed to do that.
I wouldn't change their alignment or try to punish term just yet. Lolth inevitably using their divine power to try to kill them will be punishment enough. Beacuse now they have her undivided attention, and she's insane enough to try to make their lives as miserable as possible.
>>
>>62927541
I don't approach the table unless I know I'm going to enjoy the content I'm hosting, making the player experience the only priority left. Is this abnormal?
>>
>>62927382
>>62927427
this, sounds like you have autism. find others like you, and unite as hyper-utilitarian murderhobos with a cover to cover understanding of the rules. maybe try DMing.
>>
>>62927777
If you can enjoy content no matter what the players do, I guess that's abnormal. I for example wouldn't enjoy DMing any content for muderhobos because I'm not their computer.
>>
>>62927777
wierd flex but ok
>>
>>62927427
I have, and done so.
Autists tend to be murderhobos most of the time, and I don't like playing like that.
I always try to find a diplomatic solution before getting into a battle, and with my more charisma-based characters I engage in conversation with the enemies even throughout the fight in order to either try to persuade them to stop fighting or trying to extract some information.
>>62927796
I do have autism, actually, but yeah.
Read the reply on top to understand why that doesn't work.
>>
>>62927822
I would not enjoy that either. I would look at my campaign design and ask why it allows murderhoboing or let the muderhobo players go. I'm sure there are DMs who like muderhobos, no need to waste those player's time by letting them stay in your party
>>
>>62927838
I'm autistic and roleplay to a fault. Furthermore, a few autists I know are similar. Keep looking
>>
>>62927902
How do you know beforehand that players won't be murderhobos?
Also any campaign that has a shop or/and NPCs not meant to kill can be subjected to murderhoboing.
My point is, that players -murderhobos or not- sometimes forget that the DM is there to have fun too and that he does actual prepwork sometimes instead of copy pasting some shitty anime chars fanwikipage as a backstory and making meme build they found online. Of course the DM wants that his content can't be circumvented by a cheap spell sometimes. But it seems that some ayers take personal offense to that. even though that spell will work in all other instances and has worked in the past. They won't forgive the DM for making that spell useless in that particular instance for the sake of a puzzle or the story or something greater. They don't see the benefit of maybe doing a side quest the DM designed or putting in any other kind of effort. They want their cheap "I win" buttons and keep killing mobs for epic loot and exp
>>
>>62927951
>How do you know beforehand that players won't be murderhobos?
Unless their personality/character/backstory reveals it, you probably won't know. When it does happen, it's up to you to react as you will. Unless the players are holding you at knifepoint to DM their game, in which I say good luck anon

>My point is, that players -murderhobos or not- sometimes forget that the DM is there to have fun too
Not sure if I've met a player that was conscious about DM fun or let it be a factor in decision making. I certainly don't consider it as a player because I'm too busy thinking about what everything ingame means in a grand sense

>They won't forgive the DM for making that spell useless in that particular instance for the sake of a puzzle or the story or something greater
The original post was a DM ruling that language (implied written) on a scroll was too archaic for Comprehend Languages, a spell that states "you understand any written language." Shortly after the failed reading of the scroll, an NPC reads the scroll to the party

Yes, this NPC might be able to read the archaic language, but Comprehend Languages specifies any written language with no mention of limitation based on time period, making the ruling appear arbitrary at best. Did this amount to a solution or story development that outweighs the feeling of being arbitrarily ruled against? Only that anon can tell
>>
>>62928123
>The original post was a DM ruling that language (implied written) on a scroll was too archaic for Comprehend Languages, a spell that states "you understand any written language." Shortly after the failed reading of the scroll, an NPC reads the scroll to the party
Yeah, that's dweeby.

Everybody knows if you want an archaic meaning-sign from the time before words and a person tries to read it with comprehend languages, you should tell them that their vision swims and the rune pulses with the power of fundamental, conceptual description, that spots appear in front of their eyes as they try to glean its meaning but that they could try and grasp what it means if they like.

Then just give them a bunch of synonyms, like if it's a rune of binding say that it twists in their perception and one moment it looks like it says "Contain" and the next it says "Repress," "Shackle," "Restrain." And maybe a nosebleed.
>>
>>62924834
if feral senses were a feat i'd be happy but alert is no substitute; you're still shit at fighting blind. granted 5e's way of penalising blind fighting is a bit more binary and therefore harder to reduce rather than remove but if removing it is too strong i'd settle for replacing disadvantage with a -1 or maybe -2
>>
>>62928123
>This spell doesn't decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn't part of a written language
Would've been that easy
>>
>>62925657
if you don't know D&D rules you're not playing D&D, you're ad-libbing your own shitty unbalanced game at best and running an RP session with occasional arbitrary dice rolls at worst (and most likely)
>>
>>62928326
>wah wah wah i have no imagination
>>
>>62927521
>wierd flex but ok
Please go facebook memes somewhere else.
>>
>>62928550
wierd flex but ok
>>
>>62925930
if you're taking it to level 20 full brute is easily the best way to do this, but if not or if you want to still be playing kind of a barbarian then 3 (or 4 for a better ASI breakpoint) or 8 levels of barb will net you the most favorable splits. You should probably go zealot too if you're trying to make the best of this 'cos TWF isn't exactly the most optimal style. if you really must play mostly a barbarian then yeah 3 (or 4 again for the ASI) is the best amount of brute to take
>>
Knuckleduster (Light)
When equipped, add 1d3 bludgeoning damage to your punches.

Katar (Light, Finesse)
When equipped, add 1d3 slashing damage to your punches.

Push Dagger (Light, Finesse)
When equipped, add 1d3 slashing or piercing damage (your choice) to punches.
>>
>>62928625
Huge monk buff. Otherwise trashcan-tier.
>>
>>62926607
you would if you were going to use it for scouting etc rather than just as a pet. if you summon a tressym because you want a cool exotic magical companion then don't send it into dangerous situations alone, and if you summon a familiar because you want something to scout for you and be tactically helpful don't summon a very visible and suspicious animal
>>
THE FUCK YOU TALKING ABOUT IMAGE TOO BIG 4CHAN GODDAMN EAT A COCK I'M JUST TRYING TO DO MY PART DON'T PLAY ME LIKE THIS

HERE'S THE RAVNICA PRECON FROM THE GUILDMASTER GUIDE

MY.MIXTAPE.MOE/sneact.jpg

WHO WANTS TO SEE WHAT NEXT
>>
File: wha.jpg (18 KB, 803x55)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>
>>62928667
Cool, pretty much exactly what I intended.
>>
>>62926624
you know undying light is depreciated and got reworked into the celestial right? you should probably play the most up-to-date version
>>
File: gabranth.jpg (24 KB, 350x350)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
wich class combinations is the best to make me feel like an immovable armored fortress?
>>
>>62928744
True polymorph yourself into a stone.
>>
>>62928767
I want to at least walk, even if very slowly.
>>
there's still a 5e thread up from wednesday, we migrating there?
>>
>>62928744
Probably ancients paladin. Heavy armour, shields, spells to increase tankiness, charisma mod to ALL saves and resistance to spell damage with a d10 hitdie
>>
>>62928744
>immovable
>i want to walk
Figure yourself out, shitlord.
>>
>>62926890
HE'S the one with the player vs dm mentality?
That's rich coming from someone that thinks making a spell not do what it said it would do when a player was picking it because as a DM you find it "boring" is reasonable.
If you're going to waste everyone's time and effectively invalidate chunks of the spell list you could at least have the decency to tell people in advance so they don't pick spells that don't fucking work and waste slots casting them
>>
>>62928822
immovable != immobile
>>
>>62928822
I meant immovable for my opponents.
>>
>>62926917
>composition choice
>>
>>62920562
Why would you ever not want to dip two levels into bladesinger as an arcane trickster?
>>
>>62926969
what?
>>
>>62927436
no it doesn't, it just makes you better at not getting hit not fighting
>>
>>62928377
if it's not d&d rules it's not d&d; a game IS its rules. you could use any system to tell this story if what can and can't happen and how isn't defined by the way d&d does it
>>
>>62928377
>a ruleset made up on the fly is a perfectly reasonable substitute for D&D and will be balanced just as well
>>
>>62928839
Making a spell not work one time isn't invalidating part of the spell list you entitled twat. It's for your own good that it won't work (because the solution will be more interesting than declaring to cast a spell), but you are too close minded to process this mentally
>>
>>62928625
>using a d3 instead of rounding it to an actual dice people have or a flat modifier
>>
I'm not sure what the limits for warlock pacts are. Like, what's to stop the party wizard from hardwiring arcane power into his companions?
>>
>>62929021
i have no issue making it a d4, just figured it would be better balance-wise

also you can just use a d6 and split it so 1-2 is 1 and so on
>>
>>62929023
the power has to come from somewhere, so if the party wizard decided to patron a partymember to make them a level 1 warlock, whenever the warlock used his spells slots the wizard would burn his own to supply the magic
>>
>>62929002
The original post was a DM ruling that language (implied written) on a scroll was too archaic for Comprehend Languages, a spell that states "you understand any written language." Shortly after the failed reading of the scroll, an NPC reads the scroll to the party

There are many ways to rule this scenario better or more interesting way, some of them given in this thread right here. It's not a matter of "in the player's best intentions," it's a matter of "I can't use the squishy thing inbetween my ears to adjudicate a first level spell or adapt"
>>
>>62928744
beyond getting heavy armor there's not much that interacts directly with this concept. cavalier gets you warding maneuver and hold the line so that'd be my suggestion but if magic comes into this then some type of paladin or cleric, or an EK will be best due to access to shielding spells etc
>>
>>62929002
bold of you to assume what a player will find more or less interesting for them, and uh
>Making a spell not work one time isn't invalidating part of the spell list
it is though, especially one that tends to see such limited use. nobody wants to pick a feature that is perfect for the situation and be told instead that their choices and resource management don't matter and the only way to solve this problem is passively by asking some dude the DM is playing. I know I wouldn't bother casting that spell again in a game that demonstrably has different, unpredictable rules for it
>>
>>62928890
you want to play a rogue first and foremost and it delays your sneak attack progression and gaining the mostly really cool rogue class features?
>>
>>62929044
yeah but that's very clunky and not very 5e, just make it a d4 the difference is negligible and it's way more accessible
>>
>>62928820
Interesting, but I don't feel the whole green life theme combines with the idea.

>>62929164
Cavalier looks good, tough I wasn't planned to use mounts too often, but it really has some cool defending abilities.
>>
>>62925935
Witchwood
>>
>>62929562
>Cavalier looks good, tough I wasn't planned to use mounts too often
yeah the mount part is just a bit of a bonus, it's a perfectly good subclass even without it and doesn't feel like it was balanced around having a mount

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.