[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1533396498476.jpg (7 KB, 250x185)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>Bard is a class

>Chef isn't a class
>>
>>62921037
Rifts has three different chef classes, for the journeyman traveling chef looking for the great ingredients in hard to reach places, the magical chef who uses monster parts and spells to craft his stews, and the military chef who makes anything edible and does a damn good job at it.
>>
File: 1537579211712.png (1.41 MB, 1200x749)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
>>62921037
I like to imagine that everyone actually has their own class that they're leveling up in, so that barmaid that your party thinks is cute is actually a level 15 barmaid whose been using the power of lust and alchohol to become influential within the town.
>>
>>62921067
>I like to imagine that everyone actually has their own class that they're leveling up in

In D&D 3.5, that is actually true. Sure, the barmaid would be a Commoner (or an Expert at best), but they still level up, get feats and skill points and HP.
>>
>>62921037
I feel like a rouge/mage chef dedicated to mastering his knife techniques and fire magic in order to become the world's greatest chef could actually be a neat character to play. Having completely non-combat focused motivations that transition well into combat could be a fun roleplay
>>
File: Iron Chef.jpg (32 KB, 500x525)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>62921106

>Master of Cutlery - proficiency with daggers and mauls (meat tenderizers)
>Resistance to Fire and Poison (food poisoning)
>can use Hero's Feast once per day
>>
>>62921037
Play Ryuutama. Both bards and chefs are covered by the Artisan class.
>>
>>62921106
Add a little monhun and have his call to adventure be seeking out rare and mystical ingredients to make the ultimate dish and you've got a pretty decent character. People might accuse you of ripping off Dungeon Meshi but fuck em Dragon's Crown and Monster Hunter did it before DM and Dungeon Meshi is great anyways.
>>
>>62921067
That's basically how my homebrew magic system works. Magic is basically just doing something, really, really well, and most skills/skillsets/careers can be cultivated into a magical discipline, or Arete in setting terminology. Taking OPs lead, any asshole can cook something, but a real master of the craft can work wonders with food, like the Stewpot witches and their ability to not only render the monstrous and horrid edible but to extract some of it's monstrosity and impart it into the eater, or the Panwrights of Hoshen Gorge, who can tease out the wonderous flavors and properties of even the most mundane stock and cultivate secret celestial spices their founder stole from Heaven.
>>
>>62921037

I think that the entire reason bard is a class is because Gary Gygax wanted to play a campaign in a Kalevala setting and thought he needs a special class of magic musician for that. Then everybody else copied D&D without thinking about it at all, because that's what people do.
>>
Battle Chef Brigade is vidya, but it's a decent chef setting.
>>
File: ao3438489.jpg (74 KB, 831x445)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>62921037
There are a million slice-of-simulators out there. Maybe don't play the high-power, high-magic, highly-retarded dungeon-crawl simulator that sucks for anything else (and isn't even that good at the thing it does manage to do).
>>
>get proficiency with chef utensils
There, you can do your gay cooking fantasies and even get buffs for it
>>
>>62922880
Im sold on your setting, do you have a game i could potentially join? Ill leave my discord here if you want, ill reply tomorrow
Carl Jameson#6987
>>
>>62923753
>>62925221
t. Butthurt non-chefs who wish they could cook.
>>
Modern classes are supposed to be archetypes not literal professions, the bard is the notorious exception to this because WotC believes only the wizard should be diverse and expanding bards beyond the concept of the magical poet/musician to include other arts would be giving them too many options
>>
>>62925434
Never reply to the guy that spams that image.
>>
>>62921037
What is it with this mongrel board and food?
>>
>>62922880
Anon, isn't that the same way horse show works?
>>
>>62928292
>He doesn't like food
Sorry basedboi, some of us are actually human.
>>
>>62921037
I'm actually working on a homebrew pirate/fantasy/thing that "Cook" is one of the sub classes in my game (Each player has a ship role and a class for combat/survival). Cooking in my game allows cooks to have passive abilities in towns (Such as getting ingredients at a cheaper price by a percentage and the more higher level they are the more they can get better prices for things). Learn how to make dangerous dishes with more ease (able to properly make something non poisonous, defuse explosive fictional fruits) and have higher success rates preparing low level foods with higher success rates. (Although cooking items increase these chances as well, it adds onto it).

Cooks also have the ability to pack meals for the adventurers, allowing them to have personalized meals based on their needs. Like the physically strong would need meals that require higher stamina regen/recovery over someone who doesn't attack with melee.

It goes much deeper than this, I don't want to write the whole thing out if no one is interested. If you'd like to know more I'd gladly go into higher detail and answer questions.
>>
>>62921037
Fuck you, Chef is the best class a Player can bring to the table.
>>
>>62921106
I wanted to do something similar, but with an alchemist who discovered alchemy accidentally in his kitchen one day. Now he's off to recreate all sorts of magical elixirs and shit and make them actually taste good.
>>
>>62928518
I just started planning for a pirate themed game so this sounds really interesting; could you elaborate on your rules?
>>
>>62929896
What kind of rules should I go over first? I have overall rules for character creation, weaknesses/strengths, expeditions, fights while on land, shopping, inventing, ships, classes for crew and individually, traveling, ship battles, becoming wanted, becoming bounty hunter, becoming basically the sea police, cursed artifacts, holy relics.
>>
File: Multiclassing.jpg (42 KB, 720x405)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>62921067
>everyone actually has their own class that they're leveling up in

>getting hit points and attack power from waiting tables
You might as well just go classless and say that she's been incrementing a 'hospitality' or 'influence' skill to reflect her profession or ability to wring tips from customers
>>
>>62930439
I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant at all.
>>
>>62921061
I didn't know I wanted this but thank you I'll have to look into that
>>
>>62922880
Yes I too enjoy hunter x hunter
>>
>>62923753
Rule -1 doesn't fix broken systems, Anon.
>>
>he doesn't have the presence of mind to homebrew a chef class
>>
>>62930370
The different classes for the crew sounds interesting. I was planning on just using 5e, but I wanna make each role on the ship feel unique, with defined strengths for each crew member.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.