[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
05/08/16Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!
[Hide] [Show All]

File: BlockShots.jpg (1.01 MB, 992x1041)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Hey remember when Glyos was a full line of innovative building toys, turning the idea of designer and vinyl toys from shelf-display hipster garbage into something that truly inspired the mind and tested the fingers with creativity?

What went wrong?
>>
>>6111117

he-man and ninja turtles and star wars lol
>>
>>6111117
The hipsters invaded and treat it more as art looking at you TJFatty. Yes you make videos about them but putting them on a pedastal turns it into a beanie babie
>>
>>6111117

I blame Monster Kolor. Painting indie toys rainbow metallic is the new drybrushing.

But I dunno more drops in useful matching colors would be great instead of 12 different 80's homages.
>>
>>6111257
Homage season is over, back to original Glyos colors
>>
>>6113706
Apparently you disagree!

Can you defend the state of Glyos today vs 5/6/7 years ago in any manner?
>>
Z-Bots were better
>>
>>6111117
>>6111117
>What went wrong?
Honestly, I think it was the cheapskates (myself included).

Matt laid it out and said "We can either keep making stuff with detail lines and charge more or we can stuff without detail lines that cost the same. Which do you want?"

And many people jumped on the no detail lines train, only to realize later that detail lines make the sculpts look so much better.

You could also blame the OTF fiasco and the exodus of many senior members of the fandom too.
>>
>>6118063
Glyos was at its best with detail-lined figures that were $10-12 back then (I'd have no problem paying $14-16 for them now) and completely unpainted Buildstation COLORED* figures that were $ or $6 then (would pay $8 now>0

*Not clear, making clear the official Buildstation color was a mistake. I blame that brief dye-mania on the OTF for that.
>>
>>6111117
I don't know, I hope that the brand as a whole can pull itself out of this rut that it is in.
>>
>>6114039
DUDE FUCK YES
Every time someone mentions Z-Bots I feel an instant kinship with them. I started buying some again recently, I only have about 26 right now(4 of which are from my childhood collecton. surviving 4 moves and many wars among the shag carpeting, bath tubs and sandboxes of my youth).
Why does no one bring Z-Bots back? My sister and I were having this long conversation about it not long ago and even started sketching/sculpting some rough ideas. If only..

Also yea Glyos is kinda taking a nose dive in every way possible, things are at a definite lull. Which sucks because Matt seems like a really passionate guy and he's given us some phenomenal products, several of which I'll always hold in my personal collection and occasionally play with. 2016 just wasn't up to par, even with the new sculpts.
>>
>>6118111
>Hasbro owns Galoob
>Z-bots was a Galoob property
>FunPub worked Go-bots, Rock Lords, Starriors, and Robotix into Transformers canon but didn't work Z-bots in

J U S T
>>
>>6118111
Fuckin loved Z-Bots. I had my collection out a few weeks ago. Still have 50 something of them around.
>>
File: image.jpg (1.53 MB, 3264x2448)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>6114039
Would Hagen no Zista be on par with them? Also how come no one gives love to Kabaya or other Japenese stuff they make small robutts all the time..
>>
>>6118369
Wanna trade some Z-bots broh?
>>6119371
If those were more easily accessible I would've jumped into that line, they look like tons o'fun, doesn't help I didn't really find out about them til like 3-4 waves in and the first 2 were impossible to get.
Is that line dead now or wat?
>>
>>6119371
too bad Hagen no zista is dead now.
They turned em into trading cards and shit
Never heard of that Kabaya stuff, any pics to share?
>>
>>6119371
Kabaya is a company not a toyline
>>6120767
Kabaya does mainly Hone Zaru Zaru and Transformers model kits in legends scale, the use a lot of 5mm post and plugs, just look up youheidx
>>
When was the last time Rigs or Blocks were in the store?
I always held off and they never appear to show up anymore.
>>
>>6120796
The last core block was Wave 51 in 2015. The last rig was Wave 41 in 2014. According to Marc's database, but it's not always the best
>>
File: HPIM6743.jpg (139 KB, 780x430)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
I fucking loved Rigs, there was a long stretch of time where I was buying a Rig and a Glyan pilot for it every single drop.

Rigs always sold quick, i don't know why they stopped.
>>
File: callgrim.png (1.01 MB, 1280x1907)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>6120892
>>6120902
Maybe this year ;-;
>>
>>6120942
Maybe never again
>>
onell drop on 17th. 5 days is better than 2 days notice?
>>
File: Jan17-sneak.gif (699 KB, 648x576)
699 KB
699 KB GIF
The reason we're dead is because the lack of community enthusiasm.

No one even posted what the mystery figure looked like after the last drop.

No one's excited enough to post what they got.

>>6123762
Atleasr post the goddamn image
>>
>>6123894
I know, man. Onell feels like its gone all "you just gotta know" any more. They don't hype up for their own drops, they don't post lists at all, no storyline. There's just not spark left any more. Bleh.
>>
>>6123894
I'd have more enthusiasm if it hadn't been super boring these past few drops.
I want another drop like the ZED drop. That was a great time.
>>
Someone post a pic of the mystery figure from last drop
>>
>>6120753
I'd trade zbots with you, what've you got?
>>
>>6120790
They also make small robots that turn into weapons or parts formery robots with ball joints.
>>
File: 1603-osm-onell-gemini2.jpg (161 KB, 1050x1400)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>6125503
This was it. An OSM figure. Honestly, I've been kinda curious about OSM for a while but too turned off by the prices to make the leap. But I'm not all that thrilled that it was THIS particular mold, the faces creep me out.
>>
>>6123762
>>6123894
Just in case people don't bother reading comments, people are thinking that the phrasing of the post (Tracking for Tuesday, 1/17/17) and the color scheme of that gif mean that we might be getting an updated Tracker Sarvos.

I just hope this is a solid wave with good building colors. I'm tired of the homages like everyone else, and honestly, I haven't felt truly excited enough by any of the colorways to buy huge hauls recently. I think the last wave that intensely excited me was the copper plastic with the aqua paint, that shit was sexy.
>>
File: Samus01.jpg (288 KB, 864x1296)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>6111257
I just can't get on board with the homages. They seem weirdly lazy to me and whenever I have one, I never feel like I can take it apart and build with it. It's clearly intended to be a completed THING, and I tend to view it as such rather than a set of parts I can build with.

You can accuse me of rose colored glasses if you want, but I kinda miss the days when homage figures meant tracking down colored parts until you could build it yourself. It was really interesting too, cause everyone had their own build ideas--so you could end up seeing five or ten completely different Glyos Optimus Primes.
>>
>>6126891
Tracking down the various color parts you need has gotten much harder as time has gone on.
>>
>>big sale in two days
>>no idea what's for sale like usual

o-ok, I didn't have any plans that night anyways
>>
Hey guys, Tuesday is going to be my first drop, and I was wondering if there are any tips you have?
>>
>>6129406
Be there on time.

Have an idea of what you want/budget
That can be as detailed as

"three brown glyans two red axys joints two blue axys joints and a xratgyab crayboth"

Or as vague as

"A traveller and two joint sets"

Just have some idea.

Also. Familiarize yourself with some of the standard characters/molds.
Know the difference between a glyan, a traveller and Pheyden (who is a traveller).

And again.

Be there on time.

Not as important as it used to be. But the good shit will still move quick.
>>
>>6129406
Don't fear the grasp of buying more than expected, don't feel obligated to buy more than you need
>>
>>6129406

doesnt matter nothin sells out till like an hour later nowgggg
>>
>>6129925
>>6129954
>>6129985
Thanks guys! I actually know a lot of the terminology due to following Glyos since ~2010, but I've never wanted to jump on the actual collecting train until now. Super excited, and hopefully the colors aren't homages again.
>>
>>6130043
Yeah, I'm really hoping/expecting this drop to kick ass!
>>
>>6130043
What's making you jump in now? Is it a particular figure or color or ?!?

Glyos is fucking sweet and I'm praying no homages for 2017!!! Let's do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This drop is overdue to be a legitimate good solid drop. Prepare to crap your pants at all the awesomeness to be revealed on Tuesday.
>>
>>6130623
Someone said in previous post that this might be a Tracker Sarvos wave, and I really like that colorway so here's hoping!
>>
>>6131347
Didn't we just get a Tracker not even a year ago? Not complaining, but hopefully they offer more than just him or figures in that color scheme

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.