[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: MG Marasai (Copy).jpg (477 KB, 900x1200)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
For those unfamiliar, "Plamo" is a shortened form of "plastic model." If it's made of plastic, someone can probably help you here.

>"If you're new, you're gonna fuck up. Don't worry! If you're experienced, don't make the new people worry!"

***READ THE GUIDE***

IRC Channel
>Server
Rizon
>Channel
#gunpla

The guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1Tr8UyF2Xg5Ojqw0sxcO7oIG7IIsJPes3lMO5pHZKu5o

And a handy guide to other types of plamo:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/1vf1aw7v91pz5pa/Airfix%20Model%20World%20Specia%20(Scale%20Modelling%20Step-By-Step).pdf
http://www.scalemodelguide.com
Some line art: http://seesaawiki.jp/nuriesozai/lite/d/MenuBar1
http://gundma.imgur.com/

Old Thread: >>6519625
>>
File: Group Build.jpg (205 KB, 4113x583)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
New Due Date 10/31

Frame Arms Group Build

This time the idea is to build any Frame Arms, or Frame Arms Girl kit, and paint and customize it.

The rules are overall pretty simple, the base must be recognizable as FA or FA Girl, other than that there's no limit on what you can do.

Due Date: October 31st

Note: This is a prize build, there will be a prize provided by me, there will also be a mystery prize provided by another anon. That means that to enter, I need WIP pictures submitted before the due date. Simply email me some pictures of you working on it, I don't care at what point, as long as it's possible to tell where your final product came from.

Prize Pack:
MSG Free Style Bazooka
MSG Impact Knuckle
MSG Beast Sword
MSG Assault Rifle #2
Miscellaneous supplies

I'm probably going to add more, but I'll let those be a secret.

Email: gunplasecretsanta@gmx.us

I'm also available via IRC and Steam
>>
File: SS2017.png (516 KB, 3825x3738)
516 KB
516 KB PNG
Secret Santa is here!

Because there's some confusion, you sign up for your price range, both what you receive and what you send out (or drop ship).

I'm starting the sign up a bit earlier than normal this year. As usual, fill out the form below, and if you have any questions shoot me an email at gunplasecretsanta@gmx.us

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfSUQt6lWn2Xwx7ZHo5XjOUpqE1dsRXGzhsny03qwDPd_Jb8w/viewform?usp=sf_link
>>
File: IMG_20170913_203350.jpg (3.33 MB, 3480x4640)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
>>6530388
It's the Figuarts Miku bust that came out a couple weeks ago.
It's fantastic apart from a couple of places on the sleeves where the sprue meets the plastic, you will end up with marks there.
I very much enjoyed it, but it was my first Figuarts so I don't know if this is the norm.
Have an un-resized picture since I'm too un-sober to fix it.
The hair is a bit more green in normal lighting, but it was dark by the time I finished it. I'll take another picture in the morning if it's not raining.
>>
>>6530396
I love Miku.
>>
>>6530423
don't we all
>>
File: gundamstoreguy.jpg (397 KB, 1440x1072)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
Holy shit, couldn't go to the local Gundam store this weekend because everything was closed for the hurricane, but in the meantime the owner of the place posted a picture of his own personal backlog at his house asking what he should do doing the hurricane.
>>
>>6530396
Remember seeing them up for order at one point. Did want one. Could make a good bust stand for a Miku Figma like the bust stands for Gunpla.

>>6530533
A Miku coloured Zaku would be gorgeous.
>>
>>6530533
Miku is my favorite fucking baka.
I should paint up a Miku custom to show me love for her, would have to figure out which Gundam/MS represents her character best though.
>>
File: IMGP7293_.jpg (548 KB, 1280x853)
548 KB
548 KB JPG
the aces of loum

actually, I don't know if Ramba Ral even participates at Loum in the Origin version
>>
File: 1499746217971.jpg (73 KB, 539x386)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>6530534
I have conflicted opinions on usa gundam store.
On one hand, you need to support domestic sellers or they'll just die. I don't know if it's automated or not, but I got an email from them on my second order (preordering the altron) thanking me for my continuous business and how much they appreciate me as a consumer and how there's nothing more rewarding than someone coming back.

On the other hand, fuck that markup and every time I want something they're seemingly out of stock.
>>
>>6530592
Luckily the store I'm talking about has pretty damn fair prices, last time I was there IBO 1/144 timewaster kits were just sitting there for 12 bucks a piece, and other stuff is typically the price you'd find online in most places with a maybe 5 dollar maximum thrown onto that, but that's fair if you consider shipping and the ability to have it right then and there.
>>
>>6530586
IIRC Origin Ramba is disgusted by the Operation British colony drop and in protest does not take part in Loum.
>>
>>6530592
Honestly their pricing is pretty reasonable to me. I did get my XN Raiser through them as well.
>>
>>6530240
hey, at least it's still a decent improvement on foominer
>>
>>6530396
Figure-Rise, not Figuarts

And thank you rash desperation for reminding me why I hate non-fine Tamiya primer. Fuck.
>>
>>6530396
does it need any paint like some of the LL ones apparently did?
>>
File: hand.jpg (30 KB, 500x197)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Not a huge fan of the HGUC Dom's hands but I'm not sure what to use as a replacement as the polycap only accepts large ball joints. Any suggestions?
>>
File: 10037435.jpg (18 KB, 164x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
how many of you guys use real touch markers? i use panel wash for panel lining but wondering if a pack of these are still worth it. also is it worth it to buy the whole pack or should i just get the greys, black, and brown
>>
>>6530828
I've used these for years since the brush tips are much nicer and more manageable for panel lining than the actual labeled Gundam Markers. But if you already do washes, that might not be of much use to you anyway.

Real Touch markers are more often used for simple weathering, I think.
>>
>>6530791
Can you change the polycaps to something else? Alternatively, you could probably layer a lot of Future/putty/super glue on a regular hand and make them fit that way.
>>
>>6530882
I've tried changing the poly caps and using the maru build knuckles and it looked fine, but the new polycap rattled around too much.
>>
>>6530888
Looks like 1/100 builder hands might fit. The IBO Helmwige had some pretty big wrist sockets and fit the 1/100 hands without issue
>>
>>6530890
I'll look into it, cheers!
>>
>>6530857
im always impressed when people are able to do shading effects with these and wanted to take a crack at it. i'll probably get the basic ones (black, grey, brown), but what are the other colors for, like red and orange
>>
>>6530396

>>6530423
Miku is life
>>6530752
Yep you are 100% correct and I am a stupid asshole
>>6530755
Mine is unpainted because God damn, these stickers are actually really good and the plastic looks great.
Will be painting her nails at some point though.
>>
>>6530592
If you feel like you must use them at least use the offer code zakuAurelius always gives out, don't know if it works for multiple orders though
>>
File: fss_ledmirage_manga.jpg (199 KB, 1280x720)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
Alright, so I'm an...okay modeler by this point, by which I mean I can make builds look pretty good, do some relatively clean painting, minor mods, etc. So like, as long as I don't have to wrestle with the kit itself as far as engineering/quality, I do pretty well. Are there any Five Star Stories kits that:

A. look fairly decent without complete paint overhauls,
B. are within my skill level, and
C. not going to bankrupt me?

I really love Nagano's designs on this series, but have no idea where to start. Are there even like...entry level kits for this series? Hopefully something around Bandai MG-quality?
>>
>>6530888
If you don't mind making the change permanent, just use plaplate or something similar to shore up the gap between the polycap and the hole, and then cement the entire assembly in place.
>>
>>6530896
Honestly, I dunno. Maybe they have more applications on the appropriately colored plastics, like maybe the orange looks good as panel lining on yellow plastic. Who knows, I don't own em either. Maybe they can even be used to subtly add some nuance to your weathering so it isn't just drab browns and greys.
>>
>>6530928
With this and the FAG I'm finally going to fall for the Miku meme.
Also, for fuck's sake, why can't Bandai's Bust team work on (or at least supervise) the GBF Girls.
>>
>>6530940
>look fairly decent without complete paint overhauls
Nope.

>are within my skill level
>not going to bankrupt me?
Get a recast from GK-Model or one of the newer IMS kits. Stay the fuck away from E2046.

>Are there even like...entry level kits for this series?
No.

Hopefully something around Bandai MG-quality?
Fuck no.

Your only option is to bite the pillow and just fucking do it.
>>
How is RG Amatsu, bro /toy/?
>>
>>6530940
>entry level kits for this series?
Volks later IMS kits probably fit this description
>not going to bankrupt me
Would $100-200 per kit bankrupt you?

>Hopefully something around Bandai MG-quality?
HA HA HA HA HA HA
>>
>>6531000
>Your only option is to bite the pillow and just fucking do it.

Or throw money at the problem, as in "buy the most recent kits".
>>
>>6530940
Try the 144 scale volks ims line.
Your out of luck since this your only bet the rest are either GK, pg level , or just really mediocre or bad.

The molding quality surpasses bandai hands down after looking for the runners online.

You would need glue without Doubt.
The pegs are just there for alignments.
>>
/toy/, I'm thinking of a recolor for my next MG, Char's Zaku II 2.0.
The idea is just to add some more red trim to the body, using the same shade of red as the backpack.

What do you guys think of pic related?
Any ideas on how the red can be distributed better?
>>
>>6531135
Quite like the forearms in another colour to the default. The red seems a bit too strong against the lighter pink/salmon.
How would that red look just a tad paler or darker?
>>
>>6531140
Slightly darker red.
Do you think this works better?
>>
File: Char update.png (50 KB, 538x809)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>6531143
How much painting you feel like doing?
>>
>>6531143
Personally I think it works better. Stands out but not too much like the bright red does. Definitely growing on me the more I look at it.

I'd just save about 10 different versions all with different reds and just compare them all, and work my way down from there. Placement of the red looks good though.
>>
>>6530693
>foominer
you have it alredy? mine have not jet shipped
>>
>>6531168
The Super Fumina that's coming out is like the third Fumina released, dude.
>>
>>6531152
Thanks for the input. Yeah, the v1 red now looks a tad too bright, after you mentioned it.

>>6531150
The distribution of red on the legs in your pic is great. I'll use that, thanks man.
And the green monoeye will give good contrast, too.
But I think I'll keep the pink shoulders, just to let the red not overpower the original scheme.

Also, I don't think I'm up to recoloring any of the tubes. Hell no, the thought alone terrifies me.

For now, I think pic related is good (at least until someone comes along with something better).
Buncha thanks, friends.
>>
>>6531176
dont know why that got there lol, i was refering to the XN raiser
>>
>>6531177
Easiest tip is to avoid going to 100% of a single colour. Never go primary red, blue etc. I use the CMYK sliders and once I find a bright colour I like, I'll slide the black bar in increments of 10%.
That new adjustment looks great. Looking forward to pics of that.
>>
Final slight mod suggested by /m/: dark grey shoulder spikes.
Yeah, I think this works beautifully.

>>6531193
That CMYK slider tip sounds so natural I wonder why I've never thought of it.
Thanks!
>>
>>6531197
looks good, my man
>>
>>6531183
Yeah had it for like three weeks or something.
>>
>>6531268
wow mine have not yet shipped and i preorder it
>>
>>6530940
Volks IMS kits are good, and have very nice molding, and don't need glue, but detail painting is recommended.
Waves kits are all average (except for any KoG variant, avoid like the plague) and will require cement and paint to be totally accurate.

But above all else, DO NOT buy the old 1/100 kits. They are some of the worst kits I've ever seen, and are molded entirely in one color.
>>
>>6531406
>don't need glue
Wrong.
>>
Is there an easy way of painting a Zaku's monoeye? This sticker looks way too sticker-y
>>
>>6531575
What scale are you working with? 1/144, I assume? If so, take the sticker and put it on top of a peice of masking tape, then use it as a cutting stencil so when you paint the hole gives you a nice spot to paint.
>>
>>6531590
Ohhh, good idea
>>
>>6531575

A small brush
Vallejo paint of your choice
Vallejo thinner (or water)
>>
File: 81tb9vEADGL._SX522_.jpg (56 KB, 522x319)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Seen this Dra-C kit in my shop for over a year rotting away, hate to see a mono eye with no home. Any paint ideas lads? Was thinking maybe a yellow construction version just to be different
>>
>>6530946
I've used the orange for rust effects. They work pretty well for that.
>>
>>6531720
You know what you must do.
>>
File: comparison.png (358 KB, 2046x980)
358 KB
358 KB PNG
Left or right?
>>
>>6531750
left
>>
File: 1500184889717.jpg (8 KB, 238x249)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>6531750
where the fuck did you get that image? facebook?

also, left
>>
File: Ryurai Kai.png (571 KB, 1920x1448)
571 KB
571 KB PNG
>>6531755

Someone from this thread or the /m/ one uploaded a bunch of frame arms lineart.
>>
>>6531590
>>6531607
You could also use the leftover sticker sheet after you remove the original sticker from it. No need to cut anything
>>
and > prime > paint > gloss coat > panel line > gloss coat > decals > gloss coat > weather > matte

Is this the correct order? About to airbrush for the first time.
>>
File: Gunpla_Flowchart_v3-1.png (67 KB, 567x1264)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>6531810
>>
>>6531816
So it would be:

Prime > paint > gloss > panel line + decal > matte > weathering > matte?

Cool thanks man, that was helpful.

What is the purpose of the "secondary colors" part, why would anyone do that? A gradient effect?
>>
What kind of indoor desk / workbench would you suggest with about 5 1/2 x 3 ft?
>>
is it alright to ask a question about model building, but not about gundam or plamo?

I got some sets for my toys but they aren't snap-fit stuff that I'm used too
>>
>>6531922
like those hasegawa furniture sets?
>>
File: 20170914_190816.png (856 KB, 1024x576)
856 KB
856 KB PNG
>>6532040
yeah actually. It's mostly wood, and I'm not really sure how to put these things together.

I didn't realize I needed glue or anything, so I have no supplies to make these things look nice.
>>
File: 1448608685209.jpg (67 KB, 460x325)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>6531816
Should you always snap your kit together before you paint? It seems like it'd be a real pain to disassemble a fully snapped kit
>>
>>6532117
If you pay attention to how it goes together and snip the pegs a tiny bit it's easy as hell to take them back apart, aside from those damned visors that go into recessed areas
>>
>>6530533
pantsu desu
>>
>>6531922
Scale Model General if it actually requires work.

We're all snapfags here.
>>
>>6532201
fuck off shill
>>
>>6532201
Maybe you're a snapfag, but I'm just a fag
>>
>>6532048
The closest I've done to something like that was a building plastic kit, but it was still plastic. The instructions in your picture look similar to that so I'm assuming all you need is the proper glue to hold wood together. I'm not sure if those need any clean up work since it's wood, but it should be just gluing the pieces together as you see in the instructions. I also suggest YT videos if you can find them.
>>
Thoughts on SD/Deformed Gundam? I was thinking about getting the Knight Gundam since I thought his model was pretty rad in the Vita game.
>>
>>6531750
>>6531759
Those linearts aren't really proper linearts. They're images after all, gunDMA from /m/ has the Frame Arms lineart as well tho, if you can ask him for Ryurai Kai then he'll probably make it for you. I got the Stylet lineart from him for my Pixy colour scheme
>>
>>6532048
>laser cut wood
Same approach as with building full size wooden shit: carpenter glue to glue together, wood stain to taste, varnish to taste.

Given the size I would forgo varnish and stain, just make sure you use the tiniest amounts of carpenter glue or it won't look good.
>>
>>6532117
I see quite a lot do extremely loose fittings held together with tape to get a general idea on how a part is going to look complete before they do anything like snapping it together, filling seams or painting.

If you are painting it though I imagine your first step can be more whats suited to you and how you plan to paint. Some might decide to paint full built sections either snapped or filled while others might opt for a do all parts separately and build at the end routine.

>kek at hammond poking out of the suit, wonder what MS they would pick in their usual car challenge.
>>
>>6531007
What the fuck am I looking at here?
>>
File: bcf32b5c.jpg (111 KB, 1279x719)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>6532236
SDs are generally rad, though there are some things you should know about them. First, always check when they were made.

Kits made in the early 2000s are usually kinda bad. The designs themselves are cute, but their engineering, articulation, and color separation are typically pretty shit. I would avoid.

Mainline SD kits made in the late 2000s and 2010 onward are pretty good. I would buy most of these gladly.

BB Sangokuden (ie, the ones based on historical warring statues personalities) have gorgeous sculpts, but they will look horrible without painting cause all those great details come molded in big chunks of single-color plastic.

EX Standard is an unbelievably shitty line and I would avoid at all costs.

Legend BB is the best goddamn thing to happen to SDs in years, every one of them is well articulated and has excellent color separation and chrome parts. They pretty much all look great out of the box with no painting. Get the Legend BB Knight Gundam. You won't regret it.
>>
>>6532241

I used them because they are better than nothing, but thanks for the advice.
>>
>>6532236
The only SD I've done is Nu Gundam which I mostly enjoyed even though masking it was the kind of thing they'd force you to do over and over again in hell. I haven't done any others though because I don't care for the original designs and 99.99% of the ones for regular suits are crappy.
>>
Anybody have experience using the sparmax line?
namely the Arism mini compressor, MAX 3 or the SB88 booth?

i don't plan on doing any detailing work, just painting things a single shade of color
>>
>pic related is all that's left of Architect Frame in Byakko
https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/fa-blog/fa-blog-125610/

also
>BAIHU
wtf Koto
>>
>how to build custom shit out of epoxy putty
https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/fa-blog/fa-blog-124799/
>>
>>6532594
That kitbash with gourai at the end looks like a transformer or something.
>>
>>6532599
>part 2
https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/fa-blog/fa-blog-125231/
>>
>>6532600
it shows that some pegs are still compatible

Koto is moving to 5mm pegs though
>>
Is there kits that include the long rifle for the 1/144 Hazel Custom ? Or is the only way to track down the bonus Hrududu parts that came with a magazine years ago?
>>
Lol
>>6532691
>>
>>6532695
Why lol? It's a good thread.
>>
>>6532594
no architect confirmed
baihu is the chinese name
>>
>>6532781
>baihu is the chinese name
no shit and it would make sense if Koto was a chinese company or if 4 divine beasts did not exist in Japanese mythology

if I wanted chinese to name my robutts I'd be buying gaynar or someshit
>>
I don't know anything about Gundam, I just build the ones I think look cool and come up with my own setting in my head.

But, what is the thing on the back of this one?
(I'm imagining this mech as a cargo retrieval and delivery unit in hostile warzones.)
>>
File: 71ML03-3WqL._SL1500_[1].jpg (169 KB, 1500x1500)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>6532846
And of course I forgot my image, like a retard.
>>
>>6532849
Its an attachment for cargo. This one is the re-issue of the Ez8 from Gundam 8th Ms Team.

The green and gray thing it brings extra is a parachute but if you get the other Ground Gundams from the series you can interchange backpacks.
>>
>>6532846
The backpack folds out to carry extra equipment. Ground Gundam usually carry a weapons container but the ez8 kit only comes with the parachute pack for some reason.
>>
>>6532866
>>6532865
Thanks guys. That makes sense.

I have this image of a surly, tired old mech-pilot unloading a bunch of food and medical supplies for a village out in the middle of nowhere.
I really gotta find some small plastic people that are the proper size, so that I can make various scenes involving civilians and soldiers.
>>
>>6532599
I'll be wanting these. Thanks.
>>
File: 10095816a2.jpg (162 KB, 990x559)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>6532877
I have this kit, the Gundam The Ground War Set. It has most of what you're looking for, except for the civies.
>>
>>6532889
That looks pretty fuckin' neato! I like those tanks!

I also just typed 1/144 Human and got a bunch of WWII soldiers and workers, so I think I'm gonna go with those.
>>
It took me a lot of trial and error to figure out what I wanted to do for her skirt. A lot of failed attempts using styrene sheets, but I could never get it to look good. Found a cloth to clean glasses though, and I think I found it. Now to actually start priming and painting and see if it'll come out right.
>>
>>6532938
Think hair needs a new go, but everything else looking alright.

People posted several ways to make skirts out of soft material in the previous customs thread if that's what you are looking into.
>>6518009
>>
>>6532952
You're definitely right about the hair. I went over it a bit more, mostly just smoothing out connections and thinning her bangs to look less blocky and rough. I can't see myself doing anything like a major do over after this though.

I think I'm too burnt out on skirt making and doubt I'll ever use something like that in the future, but those methods are pretty interesting though.
>>
>>6532938
Tifa?
>>
>>6533022
Yup
>>
File: 1503885038317.jpg (40 KB, 353x357)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Anybody got any GOOD cheap kits?
>>
>>6533173
MG V2 Ver Ka
>>
Dammit, I accidentally broke this joint while trying to stiffen it. I'm about to just cement then super glue it if I need to together, but are there better methods? Maybe a trick like repairing legs with using a pin to reinforce it?
>>
Has anyone ever made their own custom waterslides? Like taking a PNG or something and printing it onto waterslide material?
>>
>>6533331
Yes, there are people who will do that for you too.
>>
>>6533173
What grade?
>>
>>6532236
SD is love. SD is life.
>>
I can't wait for the ZZ Ver. Ka. When are the reviews coming out? I've got mine ordered from GundamPlanet along with an S Gundam MG and HGM Dendrobium, so I'm very excited.
>>
>>6532236
ditto on what >>6532407 said, legend bb knight gundam looks the best oob compared to the others in the legend bb line since the only stickers you'll really need are the eyes. The blue bits on the chest and crotch plate are in color which was pretty surprising.
>>
>>6532594
Looks pretty ok as a straight build, koto really upped their color separation game.
>>
>buy a grey enamel wash for panel lining
>look at online pics
>looks grey
>get bottle
>looks grey in the bottle
>start applying to model
>it's more of a greeny brown
>>
>>6533718
I think they were trying really hard right out of the gate to have an impressive first release, and they succeeded, cause Knight was pretty much perfect. Certain later LegendBB releases got a little too stickery for my tastes. As a whole the line is still some of the best SDs we've ever gotten though.
>>
>>6533795
What brand? Tell us more so we can avoid it too.
>>
>>6533808
AK Interactive Grey Wash for Kriegsmarine Ships
>>
>>6533815
>for Kriegsmarine Ships
No wonder, it's a marine weathering.
>>
What's the general consensus of painting when it's raining outside, even if it's in a garage? Think ~50-70 degree weather.

>tfw I squandered all the good months for painting by procrastinating on buying the airbrush
>>
>>6534117
I haven't had issues painting with Vallejo, but I wouldn't use any topcoats till it dries up a bit
>>
>>6534117
Check your local weather service for humidity and check the instructions on the paint, Tamiya cans for example recommends not to paint when it it's more than 40 % and below 12 degrees
>>
>>6534117

Having used vallejo and mr color I haven't had any issues regarding the weather, done it while raining and the like. Don't use spraycans though.

>>6534127

Since 40% almost never happens where I live, I followed a rule of not using it above 60-70% humidity, maybe I got lucky but it worked.
>>
File: m181_m0012.jpg (393 KB, 890x1652)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
So does anyone know what the bottom right panel means? Clearly those are attachments for a kit but it doesn't show what kit the pegs are used for.

Also the pegs used for the X Gundam, I remember the Ground Type/Ez8 having a similar looking slot. Are they also compatible?
>>
I live in a region of constant 80% humidity, you're fine
>>
File: 1434771565624.gif (476 KB, 188x174)
476 KB
476 KB GIF
>>6534200
>constant 80% humidity
aside from hell, where?
>>
>>6534203
Welcome to my hell: https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/South-Carolina/humidity-annual.php
>>
>>6534203
along the equator
>>
>>6534206
I am so sorry, we get that kind of humidity in the summer but not constantly
>>
File: 20170916_164608.jpg (106 KB, 433x770)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
I finally finished upgrading my Dreadnought Gundam! I snap-built it back in 2009, and I thought it would be fun to upgrade now that I'm actively trying to improve my gunpla skills.
This was my first time using paint with primer, panel washes, seam welding, and scribing. There's definitely a lot I could have done better, but it looks a lot better than it did before, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.
I haven't weathered it because I'm not sure what I would do. I weathered my Zaku a little, but I think the Dreadnought mostly fights in space.
>>
File: 20170916_165447.jpg (107 KB, 433x770)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>6534350
And a shot of the back too. I'm not sure if I should upgrade another one of my old snap-fit models or if I should work on my backlog now.
>>
File: bighands.jpg (148 KB, 581x990)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>6530791
1/100 scale hands. Seriously.

I used the ultimate joint series in rounded 1/100 scale and it's an amazing fit.
>>
>>6534149
Says for other kits. Looks like it lets you spread the pegs out as needed, since they've changed the backpack peg spacing between different models.
>>
File: P9162590 (Copy).jpg (451 KB, 900x1200)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
And the first MG Gelgoog 2.0 is done. I need to buy another to paint and seam weld on, because this one is fun as hell. Might do some more pictures in proper sunlight tomorrow.
>>
>>6534117
>squandered all the good months for painting by procrastinating on buying the airbrush
Are you me? I hope the booth I'm getting will work well, else I'm hosed for a good six months.
>>
>>6534478
>gelgoog guy finally got and built a gelgoog
>>
>>6534482
Yep world's probably going to end tomorrow, sorry guys.
>>
>>6534478
>logo on the shield is off-center
reeeee
>>
>>6534500
It's actually supposed to be a bit more on it, but the decal tore and I removed that portion.
>>
>>6534478
Going with standard colors or making a custom with the next one?
>>
>>6534603
Custom colors. Probably a variant of these two: https://imgur.com/a/P3MQh
>>
File: Woundwort wip 5.jpg (178 KB, 1536x864)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
So close to finishing on painting woundwort. Spent a week drilling and cutting to keep the articulation but the wrist joints still suck ass
>>
File: Shogundroid.jpg (25 KB, 608x435)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>6534478
Don't pawty just yet.
>>
>>6534945
making all three of the shogundroids would be a fun custom project, there's so many blocky gundams out there and adding the monkey ears would be easy.
>>
Oh
>>
File: 20170916_223113.jpg (1.41 MB, 3264x1836)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
Within 5 seconds of removing the microscopic clear plastic coupler to attach the beams to the wingtips.. I have launched it into the ether for it to never be found again. Oh well, at least none if my normie friends know the truth. Not a bad kit. B&N had it in the 30% off bin next to a pile of petitguys and the kotobukiya statues
>>
File: 1497156093292.jpg (64 KB, 800x800)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>6535049
>1/20 Banshee
>1/20 Full Armor Unicorn
>1/20 Phenex
>>
File: P5142563 (Copy).jpg (895 KB, 1600x1200)
895 KB
895 KB JPG
>>6535052
I was quite pleased with mine, I'd actually like to get the 1/48 X Wing now.
>>
>>6535075
Same, I was surprised at the amount of molded in detail. I almost went back and grabbed the a-wing I saw to go with it.
>>
Can I ask about vinyl kits here? Didn't notice a better place to talk about them on this board and I've only ever built a few MG Zakus.

I ended up buying all the original Kamen Rider kits sans Shin and I wanted you guy's advice before doing something stupid (like spending $100 for 13 outdated Rider models)
>>
Creos is releasing Mr. Color Super Clear III in Gloss AND Flat + UV protection.
>>
>>6535138
>My favorite can topcoat
>Now in airbrush-friendly version
>Right as I'm ready to purchase an airbrush
What a time to be alive!
>>
File: grappler_wip02.jpg (432 KB, 1280x1694)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
>>6535137
>vinyl kits
Get Mr Resin Primer or Mr Primer Surfacer, then use Mr Color lacquers or acrylics.
Do not use any Tamiya primers or lacquers, do not use enamel or enamel thinner of any kind (including panel line washes), do not use panel lining markers or Mr Weathering.
>>
>>6535138
But do i need to thin it myself?
>>
File: GX100.jpg (46 KB, 209x290)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>6535158
Yes, and if they are as thick as current Mr. Color Super Clear II you will need to thin it 2:1.
>>
>>6535163
dropped
>>
>>6535154
Thanks m8

What kinds of brushes do you use?
>>
http://bandai-hobby.net/en/gunpla_mg_ka.html
Katoki's final words on the ZZ Ka.
> The three-axis structure in this kit allows the torso embedded within the Core Block to twist and bend over, and the improvement to the transformation mechanism inside shoulder joints allow it to be posed in iconic ZZ Gungam poses. Mech-colored parts and plating-styled parts are use to "back" the slits which are seen during the transformation and articulation, so no one is bothered by them. The assembly itself is also worked on to be simple despite the number of parts.
> We're often asked this, but there's no definite style that Ver.Ka kits follow. They
re all tackled from different viewpoints depending on each item - whether they're significantly arranged, reactionary, new styles, or completely new kits. We can say that this ZZ Gundam kit is a rather orthodox style model since we had to carefully pin down the basics like the transformation and the armor. We would like to mix in small trials like using new materials and details to find more good things about the ZZ Gundam.

I would love a book of articles about all his kits the way the covered this one.
>>
>>6535138
>Already sold airbursh set

>>6535148
Spraying stuff was pretty fun while it lasted.

>>6535158
Yes. It's quite thick. Use Mr Color Leveling Thinner (TM) for that perfect finish.

>>6535220
That would be nice. At least they are adding more english translation now. There really is a lot of thought that goes into posable plastic toy robots.
>>
>>6534807
>good Wondwart kit literally never
>>
>>6535177
Iwata
>>
>>6535138

What's the difference between this and the regular flat clear?
>>
>>6535052
>>6535075
>flymeclosersothatIcanstabthemwithmyswords
>>
What do you guys top coat your clear parts/kits with?

I have an RX-78-2 clear ver from the Gundam Base that is in my backlog. Haven't done a clear kit before.
>>
>>6535357
It protects ur kits from uv light.
Prevents yellowing i think.
>>
>>6530828
i use nail polish and plasti dip, also use wallmart acrilic paint.
>>
>>6535154
What's the verdict on Tamiya putty for filling in gaps?
>>
>>6535839

shrinks a lot
>>
>>6535839
I don't recommend it, used it once to fill in the gaps on a commander brave type and it made the outer knee armor start warping concavely. Didn't leave any gaps either that would have caused this
>>
>>6535855
>>6535856
Cool, I'll just stick to Mr. Resin Surfacer for filling and priming then
>>
>>6535875
>Mr. Resin Surfacer for filling
Too thin for anything larger than a hairline crack. Get some epoxy putty.
>>
How do I go about finding a store that sells Gunpla near me? I'm tired of having to wait for orders every time I wanna get my plastic crack fix.

I tried my local hobby store, and they only carry model cars. I remember when I was a kid, even Wal Mart had Gundam and knock-off mech kits.
>>
>>6536082
I think you just have to look at nearby hobby shops. Walmart gunpla hasn't been a thing in a long time. Barnes and Noble might have them too.
>>
>>6535138
It's already out. I saw it on my trip to japan last month.

>>6535856
Sounds like you applied too much. Keep in mind the putty is lacquer based.
>>
>>6536082
I used this to find a local hobby shop
http://www.bluefincorp.com/catalog/dealer-locator
>>
>>6536082
Try comic book stores if you have any nearby
>>
>>6535059
I can't wait for a 1/20 Zaku.
>>
File: ph1111-440x330.jpg (41 KB, 440x330)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>6536175
I'll settle for 1/20 Ziegfried
>>
I've got 2 questions
1. Did I fuck up by using a black gunpla marker for white parts of the kit instead of grey?
2. Are these threads not on /m anymore?
>>
>>6536203
No, but black will give more contrast. There's no right or wrong it's up to you. And yeah there are still gunpla threads on /m/ and they're alright when the named fags don't shit it up
>>
>>6536203
>Did I fuck up by using a black gunpla marker for white parts of the kit instead of grey?
I use black on my white parts. But I also go pretty heavy with the q-tip to shade it and reduce the darkness.

What are you using? Real Touch? Paint?

>Are these threads not on /m anymore?
They are but the person who makes them just uses random box art for the OP. You need to ctrl f to find them.
I tried making a new thread once on /m/ to try and bring back using posters' own kits for the OP but I got yelled at by those autists for not waiting until the image cap was reachedm even though it was on the 7th page and not including the group build project info. So, I said fuck it.
>>
>>6534206
I'm in Savannah and I feel your pain.
>>
>>6536217
I just use the gundam markers
>>
File: 20170917_205131.jpg (122 KB, 900x675)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
Paint too thin? It felt really runny, and not covering everything, but this was like 80% paint. I must have tried 4 different ratios, but it wouldn't stop happening. I was having similar problems with my red earlier, I'm using Tamiya Acrylics through a cheaper Iwata airbrush.

I'll admit I"m still a novice at airbrushing, but I haven't had this happen to me since the first time I sat down to do this kind of shit months ago.
>>
>>6536222
which kinds?

http://blog.fromjapan.co.jp/en/anime/gundam/gundam-panel-lining-gunplas-guide-to-markers-and-paints.html
This kind its probably better to take some paint thinner to it to and a q-tip to dull it down. Some people use an eraser.

http://scifianime.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Gundam-real-touch-marker-black.gif
This kind can be wiped away with a q-tip while its wet to dull it down.

But it all depends on your style what look you're going for.
>>
>>6536284
the first ones are the ones i use, I normally use a little bit of rubbing alcohol mixed with water
>>
>>6536282
What did you thin it with, and how well was it mixed?
>>
>>6536298
Tamiya brand thinner, and it's the proper acrylic thinner. It's what I've been using for months. I mix it pretty well, I've got some little metal paint stirrers.

I'm starting to think maybe my airbrush wasn't fully cleaned, before painting tonight I was topcoating some other parts, maybe some hardened in the nozzle and my regular cleaning didn't quite catch it?
>>
>>6536323
Yeah, give it a good soak and see if that's what it was.
>>
Hey guys, I kind of hate the colors on the new Blue Destiny, and the sculpt...isn't quite doing it for me either. Is the old one still worthwhile?
>>
>>6534362
These look good but I could never find them in stock anywhere.
>>
>>6536282
Looks like there was water in the pipe. I had something like that happen to me when I cleaned my airbrush but didn't let the inside cool enough.
80/20 is a decent ratio.
Might also be a weather thing if it was too humid.
>>
>>6536282
>>6536323
Probably not thin enough.
Tamiya's official recommendation is paint 2:1 thinner.
And did you stir for at least a minute?
>>
>>6531000
What's wrong with e2046. Ordered from them recently now I'm a bit nervous.
>>
>go to local hobby store to grab some paints and shit
>notice they do in fact have a section with gunpla
>HG Geirail is $20 (List price; 1000 yen)
>HG Atlas Gundam is like $45 (I'm pretty sure they priced it at this price just to give me an aneurysm and because of the flashy box-art/huge water-skis that make it seem like you're getting a lot in the box. Anyways, list price 2300 yen)
>RG Unicorn is $65 (List price 3800 yen)
What the fuck is wrong with these people?
There was a huge box with the HG Barbatos+long range booster set and I didn't even try to look at the hidden price tag, I didn't want to know how many hundreds of dollars they priced it at.
>>
>>6536477
>What the fuck is wrong with these people?
Import costs, retard.
>>
>>6536477
Overhead costs, retard.
>>
>>6536485
I import all of my kits, these markups are so insane I can't see how anyone would buy anything local.
Also keep in mind they're a business, if they're not getting wholesale prices on these plastic kits that probably cost like 1/4th of their list price if that I'm not sure what the hell they're doing.
>>
>>6536453
>Tamiya's official recommendation is paint 2:1 thinner.
[citation needed]
>>
>>6536464
>What's wrong with e2046
shitty fit, prepare lots of putty
>>
>>6536453
>>6536430
Not him, but this explains a lot. I thought the ratio was supposed to be 1:1.

So is it 2:1 or 80:20? Or just somewhere in between?
>>
but Zack said e2046 is good!
>>
File: type94wip2.jpg (193 KB, 795x1200)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>6536515
When I was still using acrylics I thinned 1:1 + 10% retarder, never had a problem. Make sure you set the pressure low enough though, 10-12psi should be about right.
>>
>>6536217
>bring back using posters' own kits for the OP
That's what we do on /m though?
The kits are just photoshopped to look like they're box art.
>>
File: 1_3rds.jpg (45 KB, 750x300)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>6536507
https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/thinning-paints
>>
>>6536653
Bah, trimmed too much
https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/thinning-paints-606
>>
>>6536492
>>6536477
I think local businesses bank a lot on people not knowing where to find these things online or what to look up, and/or just impulse buying because it's right in front of them and they can get it immediately. I work in retail and this accounts for a lot of our sales, even though you can get most of our stuff online for cheaper.

Anyway, that markup is about in line with what we charged when I worked at an import shop (we didn't import Gundams, but we did import other stuff from Japan). Some things you don't get that big of a price break on even when buying wholesale.
>>
Is there actually any reason to preorder any standard Bandai kit releases? In my experience so far, it doesn't seem like it's hard to get them without preordering, so securing a spot seems dumb, and they pop up on Amazon a few weeks after release for fairly reasonable prices. So I'm basically wondering if there ever ARE cases where modern standard release kits become difficult to find.

tl;dr: should I stop preordering kits?
>>
>>6536722
Depends, really. Some come with pre-order bonuses. Limited box RG Unicorn, MG ZZ ver Ka (and the rest of the MG limited decal reprints)
But I mean if you're talking about a random release like say, the new Zaku C-5, then you really don't need to preorder it since it's stayed pretty available at a steady price and will be available for months to come.
tl;dr: Only if there are preorder bonuses or it's a P(reorder)-Bandai.
>>
Has anyone here built the 1/100 Serpent Custom or 1/144 Virsago? Have they aged well in terms of poseability, sturdyness, just overall quality in general?
>>
Are there any discords? the /m/ one is a little too toxic
>>
>>6536824
nice try snapfag
>>
>>6536825
Snapfag stops showing up for a while actually. He and his buddy got doxxed on the /m/ thread.
>>
>>6536825
>>6536917
im also pretty sure most of the -kuns got banned from /toy/ permanently
>>
I'm almost done building a Figurise Kamen Rider Skull kit, do you guys still recommend giving it a mat spray like with Gunpla? Or will it impede on the moving parts and take away from the over look of the figure?
>>
>>6536824
Just use IRC. It's no where as bad as it looks trying to do it, just check out the Horriblesubs guide on setting up a client.
>>
>>6536172
Didn't find Gunpla, but I did find out that my local comic book store is owned by an asshole.
>>
>>6537053
>but I did find out that my local comic book store is owned by an asshole.
Most of them are.
>>
File: 1483063043946.jpg (68 KB, 997x763)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>6536917
>He and his buddy got doxxed
holy shit
>>
>>6537053
what happened?
>>
File: ec51e4a9.jpg (2.89 MB, 2848x2136)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
>Baihu has a hidden mouth under that mouthpiece
http://blog.livedoor.jp/sokugame/archives/3880656.html
>>
>>6537085
... for what purpose?
>>
>>6537083
Play shitty games, win shitty prizes.
>>
>>6537085
Holy shit its a brave face
>>
>>6536917
After two years? Goddamn. How does that even happen? How the fuck does someone get someone else's address from 4chan?
>>
>>6537292
Apparently that retarded discord he used to spam dead links to accidently fucked him over or something.
>>
>>6537073
This.
>>
File: boopboop.jpg (91 KB, 593x596)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
my 2nd hi grade is just about done, though a bit shiny hear because the msc is drying
very happy with how it is turning out desu!
>>
File: HGAdvancedHazel.jpg (1.07 MB, 1157x1615)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
I didn't think the default stickers were bad but looking at it now I don't like a majority of them.

Guess I'll look for a decal set online.
>>
>>6537489
who /hyped4hazel/ here?
mine should be here next week.
>>
mood lighting
Is the MkIII a forerunner to the Hyaku Shiki? My sense of Gundam lore isn't great.
>>
>>6537608
The only things really related to it are 2 variants and the Mk.IV.
>>
>>6536592
I guess you guys do now. Last time I checked was this:
>>>/m/15873808

And it seemed like all through July it was just random box art.
>>
>>6536464
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lf85WJ1utA

http://gundameclipse.net/topic/6091994/1/
>>
>>6537561
me, once I finish this bastard >>6534807. On the home stretch with it, just need to wait for the wrist parts I made for it to dry and replace the waist joint. Once that's done I just have to move onto waterslides and minor weathering on the edges
>>
>>6537091
because it looks cool, see >>6537095

>>6536917
reminds me of the time he tried to join /r/gunpla
>>
>>6537943
>reminds me of the time he tried to join /r/gunpla
Funny, he'd fit in perfectly there.
>>
>>6537949
he did from what I saw, too bad he didn't stay there permanently
>>
File: strikecolors.jpg (258 KB, 1600x1402)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
Planning out the color scheme for my MG Strike. I decided to stick to the original colors but planned out some color separation to make the white less bland. The orange color is supposed to represent a metallic copper I want to use as detailing.
>>
File: 02001254161.jpg (276 KB, 1803x1294)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
Hey there, does anyone know where i can get recasts of the AoZ Primrose and Hrududu? Or else is there somewhere i can buy the real thing for a not ludicrous price?
>>
>>6538039
I'm really hoping the Chinese bootleggers make this stuff when the P-Bandai MG Hazel releases.
>>
File: product_16154995_o_6.jpg (100 KB, 800x532)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>6538046
GK-M has a hrududu recast but i can't find any primrose recasts so far.
>>
>>6538057
We're going to need full-sized MG (1/100) casts in November.
>>
Man, AoZ is my aesthetic. I wish it was more popular.
>>
>>6538067
That seems pretty unlikely. Although i would do a lot for an MG Gigantic Arms Hazel.

>>6538074
Agreed. I love all the over the top stuff and variants upon variants upon variants.

Maybe if we're lucky the mg hazel will be really successful and bandai will make more AoZ kits.
>>
>>6538074
I'm not overly a fan of "xboxheug mobile armor can't even point its gun forwards so it has to shoot to the side and has crab bits" and AoZ is fond of throwing such designs everywhere. Much less the Spirit of Ecstacy v-fin.
>>
>>6538080
It's P-Bandai, but I guess it never hurts to hope.
I love the way the suits are drawn, but looking them over they demand a lot in terms of detail and engineering. I can understand why we don't have a lot of them- even if AoZ was as popular as Unicorn I think Bandai would still have a hard time designing and releasing them. I mean, just look at the mess that is the Cutecube Woundwart.
I think a HG Galbaldy β High Mobility Type or a HG Rosette would make for a neat addition to the line and the Rosette would probably sell as a Zeonic looking suit.
>>
File: 20170919_160339~01.jpg (1.21 MB, 3228x3024)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
I noticed this earlier and it made my day. Unfortunately it needs bluetac to stay together. If only the AoZ option kits weren't so obscure.

>>6538093
I'd kill for a dandelion but a rosette would be pretty great too. Wouldn't that just be a modified marasai? Doesn't seem too difficult for bandai to do. And iirc aren't a lot of the AoZ kits just modified versions of existing things? Couldn't a lot of it be made with option kits similar to what happened with ibo? Of course there'd need to be a demand.
>>
File: owsla (6).jpg (266 KB, 665x1384)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>6538098
Shit i meant to say "if only the AoZ option kits weren't so obscure i could finally make a gigantic arms hazel".
>>
>>6537687
Damn, they look so similar though. And the MkIII has the same rifle and basic colour scheme as the Delta Plus, too.
Weird.
>>
>>6538103
Where do those hands come from, if anyone can read moonrunes?
>>
File: Psycho-B03-00025.jpg (327 KB, 1536x1152)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>6538211
The giant arms are from the psyco/psycho gundam. It's a bigass HG kit.
>>
File: 20170919_191308~01.jpg (1.22 MB, 2933x2601)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Hey if anyone's interested you can attach psyco gundam arms to a hrairoo pretty easily with a little blutac.
>>
Is there a HG Astray kit with an extra face and mouth part?
>>
File: 20170919_192247~01.jpg (1.26 MB, 3024x2637)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>6538217
>>
>>6537561
just shipped, hype as fuccc
>>
>>6536219
are you in SCAD anon? Why are you in Savannah?
>>
File: Advance-of-zeta-cover.jpg (1.24 MB, 1238x1694)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>6538092
>Much less the Spirit of Ecstacy v-fin.
That's oddly one of my favourite parts. Don't think it would suit any design outside of the AOZ lot.
>>
>>6538294
>that Downs-syndrome face
At least the fancy V-Fin is neat?
>>
File: hammahamma.jpg (264 KB, 1440x1080)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
Most of the kit assembled, now I "only" have five billion thrusters to assemble.
>>
Hey just to clarify. If I'm working with a small resin kit, as long as I'm not producing any dust am I perfectly safe? Like if i were to just cut the flash and pour tabs off with nippers would that be okay?
>>
>>6538294
I like it a lot too. It's unique which is really the main reason i like the AoZ mobile suits.
>>
File: TOY-RBT-4390_01.jpg (166 KB, 800x640)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-4389
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-4390
>>
File: h207_36.jpg (150 KB, 990x700)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>6536360
While the old HGUC Blue Destiny/Gundam Ground type mold is a decade old at this point, it's still a very good kit. It kind of shows it's age in its use of ABS for its elbows and knees, its lack of an ab crunch, and its need for paint in some spots, but its articulation is still solid.

http://dalong.net/review/hg/h80/h80_p.htm
>>
I know the guide says that hand painting lacquers is a bad idea but what about Tamiya acrylics that are thinned with lacquer thinner?
>>
>>6538498
You need to understand that hobby lacquer paint works by melting the plastic. When airbrushing, the solvent evaporates just as it hits the surface of the plastic so it doesn't just melt into a goopy mess. If you use lacquer thinner when handbrushing, it'll permanently deform the plastic in ways you wouldn't want it to...
>>
>>6538510
>it'll permanently deform the plastic in ways you wouldn't want it to
This is an exaggeration. In practice you would not have enough lacquer thinner to "deform" anything.

Lacquers _can_ be handbrushed, the problem is that thinner evaporates very quickly and the paint doesn't level, so while you can touch up or paint small details you would not be able to paint large pieces properly.
>>
>gexa geah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Qw95ybGoo
>>
>>6538298
I've always seen it as a quite feminine face more than anything.
>>
How do you guys paint white paint on white primer?
>>
>>6538967
I use my cummies
>>
>>6530534
I have bigger backlog than him. Still can't decide my own opinion about this.
>>
>>6538967
I don't, I leave it bare primer
>>
>get another Detolf
>look for the led-strips I sued for the previous one
>Dioder replaced with Ledberg
>can only mount in a straight line, no angles
>no serial coupling
WTF I hate IKEA now
>>
>>6539021
may wanna re evaluate your life there buddy
>>
>>6538560
>this doesn't come with the kits
God dammit. I mean, I know I shouldn't expect it for the price, but they should at least include a cheapo version of the prying/pushing tool on the sprues somewhere. Those hex things look like a pain to get out, especially the one on the Governor's back.
>>
>>6539021
Those are more kits than you will ever finish in your lifetime, especially the military and non-snapfits.

You should consider selling some of those stuff.
>>
File: Cs_0MH1VMAAJk8P.jpg (114 KB, 1200x675)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
What did I just buy?
>>
>>6539174
>not wanting to be buried with/in your kits
>>
>>6539191
A really nicely engineered and well-made MG. If it's your first, it's a good intro to Gunpla. I'm about halfway through building mine and it's been an absolute joy.
>>
>>6539021
God bless you anon, these always make me feel better about my ~35 kits that won't get touched until I can paint.
>>
GOD usps sucks
My order has been sitting in NYC for 5 days now, and I'm only five hours away in Pa
>>
Gundam Marker Hygogg is done paintwise, but I'm definitely revisiting the upper body and arms. It looked good three months ago, but now, not so much.
>>
File: Hy-Gogg Weathering 01.jpg (253 KB, 1884x1254)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>6539250
Not really digging the scratchy look dude! I see what you were going for, but I liked it how it was before...
>>
>>6539205
>Not snapfitting your own coffin with giant nubs left on it.
>>
>>6539250
i think having a diorama would make this look even better. having it all rusted like that and just standing there looks a bit jarring. looks pretty cool for what you were going for
>>
>>6539038
Just looked at them. I'm not sure what the difference is minus you can only chain 3 per unit as opposed to 4 before.
I'm not seeing anything saying you can't mount them at angles either, they appeared to use the same image from the Dioder Strip instructions but only say Max 3 Units, not to do things like right angles with them. They just don't appear to include the small wire anymore but I imagine you could buy something similar to do that job.

That said, utter bullshit they changed them from what they were before.
>>
>buy some Tamiya finishing abrasives
>the 2000 grit is leaving visible scuff marks all over my plastic when I try to use it to sand nubs
That's it, I give up. I'm done even trying to denub.
>>
>>6539260
I get you, the scratches are really bothering me and I'll sort them out when I can. I'm very much playing with the paint on this, at first I wanted it to look like it had been abandoned in the ocean for decades, but while doing the legs I realised how much I liked the contrast between the stock blue and the rust, and tries to dial it back a bit.
Just to clarify, you think the completely rusted look is better?

>>6539271
I've just got it here while I decide whether I want it to look more like the top half or bottom half. I'm hoping to coat it and make a neat little something with it once it's done.
>>
>>6539278
>he doesn't even topcoat
lmaoing @ ur life
>>
>grab sprue of the color I want to paint
>spray like five thin coats of white paint on the bare plastic until I finally get proper coverage
>step back, shake up my can of white primer and spray it onto the other part of the sprue
>it looks more or less the exact fucking same, but was significantly easier and will proper adhere better with a more even coat
what the fuck is even the point of white paint
>>
>>6539304
Yeah I don't use white paint either after realizing that
>>
>>6539304
Pure white and black are mostly used for mixing I'd imagine. That's what I do, anyway.
>>
>>6532599
>https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/fa-blog/fa-blog-125231/

what is that stuff that they brush to prevent the putty from sticking to the chest piece?
>>
>>6539280
Well, when you first posted it, I liked the uniformity, yeah. It has a neat sorta...burnished aged metal look to it, and it was unique looking. I'd never seen anyone get quite that look with Gundam markers before.

I understand the look you wanted to go for on the legs, and think it's a good direction, but your methodology is a bit wrong I think. My favorite pieces on the entire thing currently are the kneepads. Both have pretty believable wear patterns and it actually looks like blue paint wore off to reveal rusty brown metal underneath. The other surfaces are more of a mixed bag, the weathering is willy-nilly and just looks like splotchy paint. The right kneepad is a good level of weathering btw, just minimal edge work. The left is a little heavy handed, but it's not too bad, it at least follows the rules and looks pretty decent.

Sorry if this came off harsh. I think you should look up real weathering, it's typically more minimalistic than you would expect. Research should always be step one with weathering. Next, focus your weathering on raised edges primarily, not flat surfaces--edges get the most wear and scraping. Look at this Zaku and notice how most of the flat surfaces are relatively pristine. Most of the weathering is concentrated on the edges, rims, and points of parts cause that's where they typically make contact with other objects.
>>
>>6539321
Basically it's a chap stick. You can do that or you can use baby powder or vaseline.

From experience, baby powder and vaseline are equally effective but baby powder is easier to clean out than vaseline.
>>
File: WW painted fit test 2.jpg (254 KB, 864x1536)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
Got the new wrists in place on Woundwort and the koto frame arms hands fit pretty well. Onto painting the koto hands
>>
>>6539021
Fuck you and fuck your copious amounts of spending.

...Can I have some of your kits?
>>
>>6539021

What the fuck is wrong with you dude
>>
>>6539476
the man loves his plastic crack anon
>>
>>6539549
More like he loves BUYING plastic crack.
>>
>>6539466
Same tho, goddamn bourgeois
>>
File: 20170919_221304 2.jpg (513 KB, 1288x966)
513 KB
513 KB JPG
The final Ultra Hawk 1 jet came in today, so I'mma yammer on about unboxing all three. Quickly.
>>
File: 20170919_221544 2.jpg (471 KB, 966x1288)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
>>6539570
alpha's pretty long. Fancy thing they're doing with the tailfin, not sure I'm okay with it though.
>>
File: 20170919_221806 2.jpg (465 KB, 966x1288)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>6539573
beta is smoljet. A curious choice, keeping the parts that get the color paint/decal stripes as separate parts.
>>
File: 20170919_222236 2.jpg (435 KB, 966x1288)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
>>6539575
gamma's flat and wide. Also probably going to be the easiest to paint.
>>
File: 20170919_222448 2.jpg (439 KB, 1288x966)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
>>6539579
The stands are cast from the same tray, but broken up and packaged with each individual component aircraft. Each sprue includes the base and arm for the stand as well as the cockpit canopy part for the model.
>>
File: 20170919_222615 2.jpg (334 KB, 1288x966)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
>>6539581
The waterslides. gamma's got a lot going on, but alpha packs it in it better.
>>
File: 20170919_233037.jpg (360 KB, 1288x966)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
>>6539584
And the instructions on the insides of the box tops. Simple things, and each one hammers into your face that yes, they can combine, thank you for reminding me, again.
>>
File: Untitled-2 copy.jpg (206 KB, 482x677)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>6539277
Check the mounting manual.
You might be able to modify them if you buy more ANSLUTA transformers but you got all of that shit in the kit for DIODER
>>
File: 20170920_011521.jpg (517 KB, 1288x966)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
Man, all that primer just builds up, y'know?
>>
>>6539701
congrats, your booth is ineffective, might as well just spray wherever

you should have replaced your filter 3 or 4 times by the looks of it
>>
>>6539701
Tell us how well Vallejo Mecha Color stands up to the scratch test, and how is it like when its cured?

Benchmark for this is Turner Acryl Gouache and Reaper paints
>>
File: IMG_5764.jpg (105 KB, 1000x757)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Hmm
>>
>>6539618
Yes but from that image I took it as you can do right angles, but don't go over 3 of them since it only mentions the units.

Stupid of them not to include a couple anyway.
>>
>>6539326
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate all the feedback.

I'll probably go back to the original old metal look, as you said it has a really neat effect. A lot of this was just experimentation with the markers and seeing what kind of effects I could get off.
I've got a White Ogre MG that just begs for a weathering job like your picture, so I'll be jumping on that. I like the feel of working with markers to get weathering, so I'll probably be giving it a white coat with my airbrush before touching it up with them.
>>
Just got my first Frame Arms, greifen

Love the aesthetic, but NONE of the joints can hold their weight except for the knees, getting it to hold any pose is a total nightmare.

Even though it's easily fixed, it's still a hassle. Can I expect this for all frame arms kits?
>>
>>6540060
Is it the old one or the RE version?
>>
>>6540072
RE
>>
Call me a fag if this isn't the right place for this question but is there any 3rd party chink sites that sell real world guns that fit 1/144 or 1/100 models? I like the gundam weapons but some models would look awesome with certain real life asault rifles, ect
>>
>>6539786
These god damn bastards, if I'd have know they'd release the Landman Rodi in this set I wouldn't have bothered with the Tekkadan set coming out in a couple weeks.

I don't even know if the Geirail Scharfrichter can be made with option packs or not, god damn it.
>>
>>6540226
>I don't even know if the Geirail Scharfrichter can be made with option packs or not
It can, but you need to buy two of the same set for the shoulders ;)
>>
>>6540115
Little Armory stuff might just fit HGs but don't quote me on that.
>>
File: just_as_keikaku.jpg (379 KB, 750x742)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>6540226
>Bandai's face when
>>
Holy crap, I didn't even notice my picture was the OP
Cheers, Gelly.
>>
>>6540115
Thanks for the answer m80, ill pick up a couple. for anyone else that was asking ive now found the msg weapon packs aswell. they seem like they could fit.
>>
>>6539786
Well fuck
>>
Do I want mr color thinner or mr leveling thinner, and what is the difference?
>>
>>6540060

No issues at all with baselard (old), doesn't seem too bad with the specter either except the side with double shields liking to sag.
>>
>>6540511
One thins and the other thins and levels
>>
>>6540060
>>6540075
Shit happens sometimes with Koto. Coat the ball joints with a layer of super glu, top coat or Future pledge.
>>
File: barbatos.png (986 KB, 723x1000)
986 KB
986 KB PNG
So who did you guys vote for in the poll
>>
>>6540976
Turn A, because I think it has some interesting reinterpretation potential beyond lengthening the legs and adding red marks all over it.
>>
>>6540976
The lupus rex is a retarded choice, like I could understand the normal Barbatos or the Lupus. But still fuck the Barbatos as a whole, it's had SIX FUCKING 1/100s. I'll take a G-Selfie thank you
>>
File: 39.png (244 KB, 415x432)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
>>6540976
I voted for the Lupus Rex because reddit's tears are delicious.
>>
File: 1503091212235.jpg (8 KB, 183x275)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>6541015
>I voted for reddit's choice because I hate reddit!
>>
>>6541017
Reddit is actually rooting for either the AGE-FX or the G-self.
>>
>>6541020
You would know wouldn't you redditor?
>>
>>6541021
How else am I gonna see reddit tears if I stay here?
>>
>>6541025
at least you wear your autism proud on your sleeve
>>
>>6541028
You bet, now what suit did you vote for.
>>
>>6541030
None of them because it doesn't fucking matter?
>>
>>6541031
How do you know it doesn't?
>>
Based Katoki giving us what we really want.
>>
>>6540976
What poll?

Question: thinning nail polish for airbrush, is 1:1 a good ratio?
>>
>>6540976
G-self, the market has too many barbatos-is and the 1/100 kits are fine for now. Rex should be done a year or two later as some kind of anniversary thing
>>
this thread is auto-saging, we need a new one
>>
New thread: >>6541232
>>
>>6539701
What is this tiny zaku kit?
>>
>>6539786
Oh shit! I just finished building my rodi from the tekkadan bundle. But I love rodis so much, I'm happy to get more plus that great geireil.

Just wish they'd release a spinner rodi or a labrys. A hloekk would be nice too. Maybe a garm even. The regal lily would be amazing too.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.