[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: fwb2.jpg (344 KB, 816x1224)
344 KB
344 KB JPG
FAQs:
/toy/ - bjd.buyfags.moe
/jp/ - dollfaq.buyfags.moe

Doll news and company list:
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/companies-other-links/

WIP Database/Height comparison:
>dollection.fi

Doll magazine scans (patterns!):
>plus.google.com/112174196208952755265/photos

Common sealants for faceups (there are more, but these are most frequently used):
>Mr. Super Clear Flat/Matte (UV-cut is preferred)
>Testor’s Dullcote (tends to get dirty easily)
>Citadel Purity Seal
>Zoukeimura Finishing Powder (it’s a spray by Volks)
>Liquitex Matte Medium (airbrush)

The general population of /bjd/ are anti-recast or are pretty much neutral on the subject.
Stop beating the dead horse every thread by asking.

Our threads are mostly dedicated to Ball-jointed dolls and other dolls in the Asian market.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is puppets. Not BJDs.
>>
Previously, on /BJD:

Azone dolls can be cute or unpleasant to some.

Doll porportions are 'off' in from some makers.

Some people will do anything to be called a BJD owner.

Doll clothes makers don't earn that much, despite their stuff being called over-priced.

Dollzone, dollmore, resinsoul, and Granado have a decent reputation.

Prototype doll is still MIA in transit to Chai-na.

Cheap dolls cringe.

Dolls of particular race should be discussed in /pol?

3D printing doll stuff.

Terrible custom dolls.
>>
Are the dolls in the Ryo Yoshida art books completely hand made?
>>
>>6590614
>Doll clothes makers don't earn that much, despite their stuff being called over-priced.

Why? Is it because people who would buy one of these dolls can probably make clothes themselves?
>>
Since Yoshida is a famous doll maker, all of the dolls in his books are made by him unless stated otherwise (e.g. if it's an anthology artbook or something)
>>
File: ip8.jpg (95 KB, 964x869)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>6591414
I think it probably has to do with hourly wage vs price of doll clothes.

Pic related costs $132.

If you had to go shopping for materials, develop and measure the cuttings, do the actual cuts, sew carefully so it doesn't look trash, and don't make any mistakes, how long would all that take?

I have no idea how long that would take.
A sock dress would take 15 minutes at most.

But just divide $132 by hours needed to produce something decent, and subtract out material and travel costs.

I can tell the hourly wage from doing all of that is going to be very low.
>>
>>6591435
I'm curious how long it would take factoring in the occasional mistake
>>
>>6590842
Yes, hand sculpted and the few that are cast afterwards are hand cast. if you follow the instagram where he and his students post their work (doll_space_pygmalion, also the name of his studio) you can see the process. Most of them are hand sculpted one-offs, though a few are instead cast as an edition of several
>>
>>6591414
The specifics were broken down well by >>6591435 but I just want to clarify that we mean their hourly earnings/earnings per outfit aren't that much, not that they don't sell many clothes (which seems to be what you were thinking)
>>
>>6591414
>Why? Is it because people who would buy one of these dolls can probably make clothes themselves?

Naw.
Why should that even be the case, just because you can spent money on something does not mean you automatically have any skills to work on it.

Truth is that most people are incredibly cheap regarding any later or "unnecessary" costs. That's how you get people who pay 600$ for a doll but then bitch and moan when a wig costs more than 15$.
They accept the cost of the doll, because except for buying a damaged/old/one in need of care/doing some wacky hybrid you often have no legit chance to lower their costs. However, you can cut the costs on anything else because you can either, badly, do it yourself or commission/buy from someone cheap.
>>
>>6592014
This kinda mentality in the hobby blows my mind.
Like, if you're willing to spend 800 bucks on a doll, why wont you spend more than 8 bucks on ebay for a pair of eyes?
If you can acknowledge time and cost and effort to pay for a doll, why can't you do the same for good quality accessories?
God damn people, I get weird looks when I say I'm willing to spend up to 100 bucks on a good pair of eyes because why the hell not? I want my doll to look nice.
/end rant.
>>
speaking of clothes, any good shops for minifée size clothes.
I don't care if it's expensive, I want it to be of good quality.

I tried Alice and it was too cheap.

I found plenty of good stuff on etsy, but it's sometimes hard to separate the good stuff from the disgusting sock dresses.
>>
>>6592068
>If you can acknowledge time and cost and effort to pay for a doll

Most of them don't though. They don't acknowledge it, they just accept it because like I've said...if you want that specific doll there is no other legit choice but to pay the price. There's only so much you can save on the dolls themselves. You can't make your Iplehouse EID yourself, you can sew something shitty for him though so he ain't naked and save on his wig, eyes and co.

I share your mentality though. To me the thought of not spending a pretty penny on the accessoires feels like I wasted the money in the first place. I am not spending several hundred dollars on something and then let it look like shit.
>>
>>6592068

There is nothing wrong with being thrifty in this hobby though anon. I get tired of people pricing newbies out of the hobby with 'quality' nonsense. You can get good deals second hand in this hobby with patience and personally I've yet to see a pair of bjd eyes that cost $100 that I think are actually worth that. Most of the time eyes that expensive are urethane anyway and they yellow over time and eventually look like shit so paying $100 is pissing money into the wind. It's also stupid to assume the person with an $800 doll balking at accessory prices actually paid $800 for that doll. For all you know they got a great deal second hand and paid it off slowly with layaway.

There's is a perfectly resonably middle ground between buying all custom bullshit for your doll and making shitty sock dresses.
>>
>>6591435

Another problem is that companies can make clothes far quicker for far cheaper. It turns into 'why should I pay someone on etsy $35 for a bjd t shirt when I can get one for $10 from dollmore/taobao/some other company that utilizes chinese sweatshops?' Most people arent going to pay more for the same thing they can get cheaper just to say it's handmade. It sucks but what can you do? That's capitalism.
>>
>>6592265
This ties back into the conversation from last thread (or the one before that?) about why all the good shit is for Minifees. Minifee owners aren't necessarily more likely to spend a lot on quality, handmade clothing BUT there are more of them, so the seller has a greater chance of actually making a sale.
>>
File: 26529352393_a90d24af52_o.jpg (248 KB, 1000x1333)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>6592261
Nobody said anything about "being thrifty". There is a difference between being thrifty and being cheap.

Fuck, I just saw in one FB group how someone wanted a wig for "less than 9$". Even if you ignore the fact that someone is supposed to make a wig for them for even less than 10$ (fuck material costs, am I right?) it's just ridiculous to spend so much on a doll and then cheap out on anything else.

Besides, I realized that spending expensive at least in my case meant equal costs in the end with less waste.
Back then I would regularly buy 20-25$ wigs in hopes of finding finally the perfect one for my doll. So much money I pissed into the wind because I bought from Leeke.
Nowadays I just spent 125-150$ on one angora wig and I am done searching AND can have better styles too. In the end I spend the same, but I end up with less shit I need to sell again, have the perfect piece right away and it looks better too.
>>
>>6592265

I visited Nine9Style in Korea. I had a hard time finding it. I ended up on the wrong floor and opened it up, and it was legitimately a sweatshop. At least 25-30 Korean women, cutting and prepping and sewing fabric. Someone shooed me away quickly. It was not a total shit place, but it did have many women working in very cramped corners mass-producing items to drive down the cost.
Softly She Walks way way back in the early 2000s also had a ton of controversy over having a sweatshop in, Vietnam? IIRC. They sold a lot of clothes for Narin/Narae at the time
>>
>>6592340
Back in 2014 Freedom Teller attended LDoll. I had been one of their supporters (i.e., they sent me clothes for reviewing) and had talked with them before online, so I was pretty thrilled to meet them.

I spent a lot of time talking with them, asked them questions on why they started doing doll clothes (the owner was a designer for human clothes before and had always disliked that the style she wanted for her dolls wasn't available).
She told me they all live together in the same house, the few of them. I at first had a somewhat romantic idea of that, like several woman who have the same hobby living together to have their business in some cute house. I am sure it's less romantic than that but still.

Anyway, it's the reason I don't mind their prices. They honestly deserve it for all the hard work they put into it.
>>
>>6592340
A lot of stuff in asia is pretty dystopian for living conditions, it is just how it is.
>>
Personally it took me along time to accept the price of decent doll clothes. The cost of dolls always seemed reasonable/worth it to me, but I bawked at the price of clothes. I think it's mostly because i'm used to the prices of the mass produced human equivalent. i'm also at the point now where I just suck it up and spend 100 USD + per outfit
>>
>>6592129
That's true, I suppose, which just makes it all the more frustrating. No acknowledgement for artists effort just pisses me off on principle.

>>6592261
You're so reaching.
I never once said being thrifty or searching for a deal is a bad thing, and my complaints about people being cheap are coming from someone who has put pretty much every doll she's ever bought on layaway, and missed out on good deals because she has to pay bills, and has to make most of her own clothes because her dolls are weirdly sized.

The issue is that people will spend a CUMULATIVELY large amount of money on a doll, but baulk at getting into double digits for a pair of eyes. The issue is people don't see that there IS a middle ground and just go with the cheapest option.

If you can spend 12 bucks on ebay for a pair of cheap shitty quality acrylic eyes, why wouldn't you spent the 25 bucks on a pair of mako eyes which are the nice cheap urethane alternative?
>>
>>6591435
>>6591443
Honestly, $132 is a bargain for the set if it's well made. I have no idea how long it took them to make it, but it would take anybody at least 3-4 pattern drafts to get the shoulders and lapels right. Lined lapel jackets are the one thing where it's infinitely more cost effective to just buy. Better than to make 5 practice jackets and still have the lapel looking a bit fucky.
>>
>>6592334

One of the reasons I'm not willing to shell out for all these handmade angora wigs that are suddenly so popular is that nobody knows how they will hold up in the long run. I feel better about the ones made by seeing weft down but there's no telling how the glue cap ones will age. Glue does all kinds of crazy shit over time and the idea of spending sometimes hundred of dollars on something that may look disgusting in five years is stupid.

It's the same problem I have with resin eyes that cost a ton after a certain point with doll shit it's just diminishing returns. It's like paying over $100 for a steak dinner. Once you start going beyond that the steak can't get any better, your just paying more for the same beef for the hell of it.
>>
>>6592961

What your not getting is you can't pay a large amount for doll clothing cumulatively. Most places don't accept layaway on eyes,wigs and clothes. A person may be able to scrape together $50 a month to pay for the doll but find it harder to shell out over $100 in one go. Sure they could save out that $50 over months but they risk the item selling out in that time and the money is sitting there tempting them.

I'd say 12 bucks for acrylics is kinda crappy because acrylics tend to look pretty bad but if somebody spent $12 on ebay glass eyes I wouldn't judge. Before urethane became all the rage glass was more common anyway and what eyes people use in there doll is none of my business anyways.
>>
>>6593589
The oldest one I own is from 2012, so far it hasn't changed at all despite being constantly in use. Granted, I take care of my stuff and personally don't plan for things to last forever either.
Fuck, I am still shocked I passed 10 years in this hobby already.

I also rather want my doll to look nice now than worry whether in 10 years its wig is still nice.
>>
>>6593659
Have to add: mine is from eclipse21. There definitely are makers where I don't trust that their wigs last as long...like Amadiz.
>>
>>6593595
$50 a month for an article of clothing means you'll probably get good items, though? If you're spending 50 on a shirt, that shirt will most likely be well made.

The issue is people wanting nice shit for under 20 bucks.

And if you want a nice fullset outfit that reaches triple digits then you'll just have to wait and save? And I say this as someone who almost missed out on an iplehouse outfit I love because I had to wait and saavvee my pennies for it.

The idea that you can't wait and are "tempted" just seems so immature and juvenile to me.

>>6593589
Holy shit I never thought about that.
I use fabric glue, I wonder how well that holds up in the long run.

>>6593659
You are a beautiful breath of fresh air, friend.
>>
If I were to trade a Volks SD standard boy head, what could I ask to trade it for?
>>
>>6592340
Being cramped and unappealing isn't what characterizes a sweatshop (or the reason they're objectionable) -- inhumane, exploitative treatment of the workers with disregard for their rights and well-being is what makes it a sweatshop.

Space is at a huge premium in urban Asia, even more than the US, so without further context than just 'a lot of people were sewing in a cramped factory' you can't really assume it's that.
>>
>>6594139
>You are a beautiful breath of fresh air, friend

Heh, thanks.
I don't know, I just always preferred to take the slower route. 10+ years later in the hobby and the amount of dolls I own(ed) is surprisingly low in comparison to some people who are in it for less than the half.
I buy less, but when I buy it's of better quality. Which means less selling, less frustration, nicer looks. And less dolls mean I can spoil the ones better who are here/it's overall a lot less work for me.

Don't feel bad anymore for people who buy five dolls at once and then complain they cannot afford a 10$ wig. I never had lots of money to spend, still don't, I just prioritized differently.
>>
>>6594999
How many dolls.
I'm probably in it since 5 years or so.

I have :
3 zuzu (20cm)
A senior delf female (60cm)
A YOD ipple female (60cm)
A delf male (65cm)
and a OOK Kittie jolie (40cm)

It's already too much.

Now that I have more esperience I kinda regret buying the 60cm+ dolls. All in all I prefer the 40cm ones who are easier to pose and still have nice details to their clothes.
>>
File: 16598622464_9f4e8b87bd_o.jpg (1.25 MB, 2000x1335)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>6595046
You are even lower on the spectrum compared to the average collector. I compared my number to the people around me/my local group/what you generally see online. Some of my friends have long passed the 100 mark, or some had already nearly 50 two years after they entered the hobby. Granted many of us started right when the Soom Monthly craze begun, I have friends who to a certain point owned every Soom MD.

Here's my current crew:
1x 60cm
12x 65-75cm (mostly 70cm males)
1x 26cm
2x small pet dolls
2x small artist dolls that are size-wise a bit out of the usual range (from Akhmel)

18 dolls. One of them will be for sale soon, one is waiting to be re-shelled into a new doll. My soft cap is at 20, my hard cap at 25 (but I already struggle to find two dolls I still need to complete the group).
I also own 6 Blythe, but they are my "slow burning" project, I only do something with them when I get bored of the BJDs.

During those ten years I overall owned 39, 3 of them were heads that never got a body.
I did not count the ones that came as gift for events since I didn't plan to own them and always sold right away.
Good way to save on money too; I usually bought during events, sold off parts I didn't really need, waited for discounts.
>>
>>6595215
I feel a bit better about myself.
thank you anon.

At the moment I'm tempted by a minifée, a doll chateau (how to buy them ?) , and maybe an animesque doll, but DD (but they are hard to but from Europe and people are always saying Smart Dolls are flat faced) sio if I buy a new doll, it probably will be a minifée.
>>
>>6595242
No problem.

If you are in Europe and want a Doll Chateau, it might be the easiest to order through Angelesque:
http://www.angelesquedolls.com/
DC often has events where you receive a free pet doll. Just keep in mind that DC has VERY long wait times.

I'm in Europe myself and it's honestly not that difficult to order from abroad, it's just customs that suck hard.
You can try to look into second-hand marketplaces too.

If you don't enjoy your bigger dolls maybe sell them, that way you can fund an order from Fairyland (also one of those companies where it's a good idea to order during an event, people often pay a nice sum for the event gift heads).
>>
I own over 50 dolls. I don't photograph or really participate in the hobby beyond anon stuff, and chronic pain keeps me from selling them. I need to get my act together but some days its hard to even lift a camera for any amount of time in my arms due to my arthritis in my hands and wrists. I want some of this stuff to move on to people who will love it more but some of the overseas selling stuff with shipping scares the living daylights out of me.
I need to cut back though and just focus on the ones I really love. A few have been neglected and I feel bad for them. I guess I'm a softie but I really think dolls should be in the hands of those that will love them so I really need to get my ass in gear.
>>
>>6595242
Check Facebook for dollfie dreams there are several sales groups. I just saw someone in Europe selling heads for like 50 euro or something outrageously low
>>
>>6595375
Is there someone who can help you taking pictures?
Fuck, I'm healthy and still loath it (and selling overall). Else maybe a static setup might be the best idea where you just have to push the trigger while the camera is on a tripod or other stable surface.
>>
>>
>>6595851
>shit taste
>shit skills
figures
>>
Questions:

1. What is /BJD's stance on with Azone dolls and Assault Lily being the in-between/bridge between the rest of BJD stuff and the FAG/MD figure lines?

2. Is this a good place to ask about ideas about making doll clothes for 1/12 scale? (This is relating to #1, I'm thinking of a certain approach to dresses I want to attempt)
>>
File: madhouse-01.jpg (315 KB, 1200x1454)
315 KB
315 KB JPG
>>6595851
This was on TV just the other day. Got that rough B-movie look down.
>>
>>6596160
1. I personally don't see them as a bridge, simply because BJDs are just very different overall (feel, their purpose, engineering, how the community is like etc.).
Just because something has joints and some fabric parts/has wefted hair does not make it a bridge in my eyes.
Instead it's an own kind of figure/doll existing next to BJDs and all other dolls there are.

We kinda brought up that topic in the last thread when we discussed why so many people buy doll X and then claim it's a BJD or "close" to them or some kind of good substitute. If you ever get to handle a regular 1/3 BJD you quickly realize it's just not comparable, but it's something you don't "get" when you only know BJDs from some pictures.

2. 1/12 is a very uncommon scale with BJDs, especially when they aren't supposed to be kids, same for non-toddler proportioned 1/6. We are just now starting to see a rise of fashion doll proportioned BJDs at around 40~45cm too.
I think in the Fashion Doll thread you might have more success?
>>
>>6596160
I've bought some PNs as an entry point into dollfaggotry, they're cute and all but I won't recommend them (at least those with older "full flection" bodies, fresh bodies they've just released seem to be better at posing) if you're looking for great posability. Their clothes are amazing though (well, most of the time, there have been some complaints about recent full-sets). Also not a fan of decal eyes. Assault lilles are cute but they pretty much feel like figmas with worse mobility, might as well try to make clothes for body-chan or something.
>>
>>6596160
1. Hinge joints are not ball joints, its as simple as that. And I'm not a resin purist or anything stupid like that, I own azones, but you can't call a doll with hinge joints a ball joint doll. Simple.
>>
>>6596416
There seem to be many idiots who are convinced that because the exterior of many of those joints are rounded for aesthetic reasons, they're ball joints. Many among the DD owners I've talked to, at least.
>>
>>6596445
I always had more the feeling that the DD crowd has no interest in being lumped into the BJD one anyway.
Especially the ones that basically just buy DDs because they want a big action figure version of their waifu/the same type of collector that Smartdoll attracts (no interest in doll collecting, customizing etc., just owning that one specific dressable figure).
Partly because they don't really do "the doll thing" and partly because they don't have this pathetic urge to be seen as cool for owning a super expensive doll. DDs are already big, expensive and often exclusive enough anyway.

The ones who do the whole "but muh doll is a BJD" thing usually collect cheap dolls that are not even close to BJDs. They still do it though because they can'y accept not to be in this "exclusive" (pffft) group and need it for their ego.
>>
>>6596462
adding: I definitely would rather count a DD as BJD than any other of those dolls people try to shoehorn into this label (MH, Pullip etc.).
>>
Has this already been discussed? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft4o7Od7PWw
>>
>>6596160
What would a 'stance' on this be...? I don't think most people would have either a negative or positive view of the idea someone was collecting Azones and then got interested in DD or BJD. Neutral, I guess. It's a pretty big leap between the kinds of dolls though.

We have some 1/12 people in the thread and I think linkes to pattern books are posted sometimes, so maybe someone can give you some pattern. What was your idea about the dresses?

>>6596462
>>6596467
Agreeing with this anon. The debate of whether DDs should be lumped in with BJDs is an age-old one, has been casually talked to death, and is mostly semantics. Nobody is really emotionally invested in it, and though there's a significant overlap of DD and resin BJD owners, they usually aren't too bothered about one another's or other people's definitions of BJD, it's a pet peeve at the most, if that.

On the other hand, people clamoring for MH or those Madame Alexanders from last thread or whatever to be called BJDs almost always have a chip on their shoulder about their dolls being 'inferior' if others don't call them a BJD. I say this as someone who likes MH, a not-insignificant amount of owners have an inferiority complex about them being more affordable than BJDs and think owners of pricier dolls look down on them. These people, not "is a DD a BJD" people, are the ones who are emotionally invested and see it as a mark of status rather than a simple initial for a type of doll engineering.
>>
>>6596997
>smart doll clothes dont stain! guaranteed!

>these white leggings under his black pants are for his warmth!
>this stain prevention neck sleeve uhh....

fuck you danny
>>
>>6596997
Not beyond a couple general comments on his face when he was previewed (it looked weird to most anons...did he change the face? The one in the video looks fine and resembles the art style, it looked weird in preview pics.)

Speaking as a person who's basically been unimpressed by anything Danny Choo has ever done, I actually admire the lining of the outfit and the amount of care to stain prevention, down to a little turtleneck sleeve. As fond as I am of Volks they drop the ball on this constantly; he actually did a good and innovative thing for once.
>>
>>6596997
I have a question.
Considereing Choo does literally nothing for the actual dolls other than 'design' them (he just handles the business, designs his shitty OCs, and slaps his name on everything while sculptors and seamstresses who go uncredited do all the actual creation), and he clearly didn't design Lelouche Lamperouge....what the fuck did he even do for this particular one?
>>
>>6597045
He provided the startup cash and got them the license. Perhaps the most interesting and impressive thing about Choo is his ability to spawn a business out of nothing and immediately have it being successful with multiple contracts for the next two years. He's a businessman.
>>
>>6597056
I did mention that he handles the business. He's pretty good at it too. Wish he would credit his sculptors/other artists though, most doll companies do, but he hasn't even when directly asked.
>>
>>6597056
He has only been able to do this shit on his money, fanbase, and name. It bothers me that he can achieve so much because of who he is, then posts about how 'anyone can do it' and 'the only thing stopping you is you don't want it as much as I did'
>>
>>6597085
So has many other people in other businesses. They have money hence the ability to startup businesses, so what is the problem? He is employing people and so far from images and information it doesn't seem that he treats anyone unfairly or in pay either.
Keep in mind Choo hasn't had only this one venture in terms of business either. He probably has a good financial history in terms of business outside of his father's stuff (which seems to not involve him)
There is nothing stopping you from starting a business and doing the same thing except a loan at the bank, desire and will, and some knowledge. A great majority of what he is going falls under "do it until you make it."
What is stopping you? Start small, then expand in the sectors available to you. I think he represents that in the doll world if you make a decent enough product in an area that is in demand but not met you CAN do well.
>>
>>6597130

'Get a loan

That's the problem right there it is way easier to start a business out of pocket then it is to get a loan and whole lot more is riding on tour business when you owe the bank.
>>
>>6597085
>>6597206
While I dislike Choo I have to admit that the dude really worked himself up. I once wasted some time on reading his long ass story about how his childhood was like, how he learned Japanese and why, where he worked and so on.

The dude has something that a lot of people (me included) lack, and that's this thirst to pursue your dream no matter how hard it might be. He's a huge otaku but unlike the most who just spent their day dicking around he just went full blown crazy mode with it to his advantage.

The dude has this spark that makes him run, no matter how rocky it might be, and simply not give up.
All the other stuff you can usually somehow acquire (money being the most difficult), but it doesn't matter when you lack the fire.
His money, fanbase and name didn't came from nowhere. Yes, name including, because most of his success comes from his own hard work and not because he happens to be the son of Jimmy Choo. This is not a "million dollar loan" Trump thing.
He grew up piss poor in shitty circumstances.

He worked incredibly hard to get where he is now and has a huge disgust for people who sit on their asses and moan how difficult things are/whine how they wish for things. It's no surprise that he says "the only thing stopping you is you" if you look at his past.
>>
That's not a bad looking SmD but oh god guys let's please not let Choo wank consume the entire thread like it does so often.

Anyway. Check out these Nympheas dolls cats they're so fucking weirdly proportioned and lumpy and it's horrifying but also kind of charming?
>>
For people who have printed their own eye designs - what DPI is enough? I've tried both 600 and 1200 and shit's too grainy and looks terrible [spoiler];_;[/spoiler]
>>
>>6597245
>So has many other people in other businesses. They have money hence the ability to startup businesses, so what is the problem? He is employing people and so far from images and information it doesn't seem that he treats anyone unfairly or in pay either.
>Keep in mind Choo hasn't had only this one venture in terms of business either. He probably has a good financial history in terms of business outside of his father's stuff (which seems to not involve him)
>There is nothing stopping you from starting a business and doing the same thing except a loan at the bank, desire and will, and some knowledge. A great majority of what he is going falls under "do it until you make it."
>What is stopping you? Start small, then expand in the sectors available to you. I think he represents that in the doll world if you make a decent enough product in an area that is in demand but not met you CAN do well.
he's living the dream.
I wouldn't be unable to put my shit together and start a business.
I don't dislike him.
>>
>>6597772
I dislike his cult.
>>
>>6597502
Are the images itself big enough and your printer of could quality?

>>6597776
This.
>>
>>6597793
*good quality
>>
>>6597793
I've resized them to the physical size I want them in (12x12mm), should work, right?
>printer of good quality
you got me there, it's a regular ol' laser 600dpi printer but ordinarily it can print (near) solid, maybe it's the gradient that makes it think "hey let's do everything in shitty big dots"
I guess I'll mess around with it some more
>>
>>6597206
Get a loan, or save up. You're in a doll thread. You could start something small with just yourself for 10k. Many dolls in this hobby are over 1k. You could save to do it, or go to many local banks, and if it fails, there are safeguards for you to fall back on. Again, the only thing really stopping you is yourself and your motivation to get it done.
>>
>>6597950
I am making my own dolls currently, my start up is about $3,000 and I'm working hard to get there. Building a company from the basement up- the advertising, the name making, and doing it while it isn't your full time job is very difficult.

Do you know how much it probably cost Choo to start up? First off, it's not just capital. He was given personal tours by Azone of their plants and casting companies and traveled through several toy factories in China. He was able to use those connections to forge a relationship with a vinyl caster and develop an ABS skeleton. I can't even take pictures in an Azone shop without being asked to leave, no regular person would get this kind of hands-on info and training. He leverages his persona which yes, he built himself over years- to be successful in this doll business. The circumstances are very different for a 'normal' person. The start up cost on this business was easily more than the cost of my family's home. I'd estimate at a bare minimum to get one vinyl doll into production it's $75,000. It's not obtainable for me to go into a bank and ask for $75,000 to make little anime girls, no matter how much I try. It's one thing to make small resin dolls on your own- the scale that Danny was able to achieve is due to his celebrity. Hell, lots of BJD companies can't afford the jump to vinyl, and now Dollshe and Volks are doing so but with trepidation.

>tfw your prototype is still lost in the mail
>>
>>6597986
>He leverages his persona which yes, he built himself over years- to be successful in this doll business.
He worked to build up this persona. Any normal person has to start somewhere to build a persona, you just don't "get" one. Anyone can make reviews on youtube or start from there. How many people were nobodies and started reviewing, having opinions online, that are now somebody?
>The circumstances are very different for a 'normal' person.
Normal people, like Choo, have to start somewhere. He's been nursing his persona online for easily DECADES now but he started off as no one as well.
>It's not obtainable for me to go into a bank and ask for $75,000 to make little anime girls, no matter how much I try.
Going into a bank and asking for 100k capital isn't anywhere near unheard of and restaurants do it all the time.
>the scale that Danny was able to achieve is due to his celebrity.
Danny made himself a celebrity. He made himself. Be the person you want to be. Try for your goals. You miss every opportunity you don't seize yourself. Start small and work from there. Danny wasn't always someone, he was some retard running around in a stormtrooper outfit for years filming himself before starting multiple websites, some of which didn't do well and no longer exist, and using a lot of that experience and yes, networking that he built up over the years to build his business. Do you think this stuff comes out of nowhere? I have said repeatedly: start small, and take it from there. I wish you best of luck with your startup but connections are something everyone has to make and yes, its hard. No one is saying it isn't but Danny definitely has put his lumps and time in, and there isn't much stopping most normal people other than hideous credit which you hoisted upon yourself and lack of knowledge and will to get things done. Danny didn't create this dumb doll empire out of nowhere, he has meticulously curated his persona so he knew what sold and what didn't.
>>
>>6598019
>Going into a bank and asking for 100k capital isn't anywhere near unheard of and restaurants do it all the time.
You know that typically can't just get a loan out of nothing right? You could need collateral to get it, and you can't just say "I need $100,000 for business reasons", you have to say something like, "I am starting a restaurant to serve spaghetti tacos because there is a lack of spaghetti tacos in this area, and I have 15 years experience making spaghetti tacos". Then someone at the bank has to be like "I love spaghetti tacos and I also don't know where to get them! I'll give you $100,000!"
The facts are, not everyone can be Danny Choo. Not everyone can have the stars align for them. Internet fame isn't predictable and you can't just will your way into it. Look at all the talented musicians in the world, do you really think that the band playing the concert tonight is infinitely better? Right place, right time. That's not saying that someone can't do something, but to the scale that Danny has, it takes a lot of work but an amazing amount of luck and circumstance as well. What worked for Danny won't work for some other people. It really helped that he was Asian, that he can be regarded as a real businessman in Japan. He hit at a time when he had the right education to get into was it JAL? He said himself he made a very large salary at the corporate businesses he worked at before he became a weeb god. That type of money was what allowed him to craft his persona. Sure, Danny worked hard, but that doesn't mean he worked the hardest, or that working hard makes you a success. His self-aggrandizing autobiography posts are just like any other inspirational self-help writing, he flattens universal experiences because of what worked for him and tries to imply that it can be broadly applied to any experience.
>>
>>6598019
bruh all he had to mention was that his father is jimmy choo and book connections. sure he claims his father forced him to do it the hard way and climb up on his own merit, but you know damn well that anyone he spoke to KNEW his father was jimmy choo even if danny didn't say anything, and knowing who his father is alters their perception of danny and skews everything in his favor. so yeah, danny is not your average guy and should not be looked at as how things go for people wanting to start a business of their own.
>>
>>6597254
I love em. Gimme that bloppy baby.
>>
>>6597254
I feel like that middle joint makes them look so long and odd, and the tummy looks a bit too low and disturbed.
But they're still adorable somehow?
>>
Does unoa alchemy have decent customer service? I got the roron fullset but they forgot all the extra hands, and I'm hoping it's not too much trouble to get those
>>
>>6599881
Yikes. They do have pretty good service tho, I'd let them know.
>>
>>6599881
i got a basic roron and i only got 3 hand sets, the default, fist, and clasping. i thought we were supposed to get fist, flat palmed, and pointing/victory as well as default so I'm not sure whats up. Did you get any extra hands at all? Or only two extra sets like I did?
>>
File: DSC_0010.jpg (167 KB, 650x1282)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>6600207
and to clarify i mean the blue halloween basics, which we shown in the promo pics as having both horn pieces, elf ears, and 3 hand sets along with the default.

pic related is my girl (using the lilin default)
>>
>>6600210
That is so fucking cute.
>>
>>6599881
Yeah i contacted them hoping its ok.

>>6600210

But did you order the fullset? They wouldnt have come with the hands and other parts if they were just the basics.
>>
>>6599881
They're great, I'm sure they'll send you the missing parts quickly
>>
>>6597502
I've never printed doll eyes but what are the dimensions of your image in pixel? 600 and 1200 are crazy sense. If your printer isn't crap, that should be more than fine. Heck, I would have even said 300 is fine.
>>
>>6592068
What kind of idiot drops 100 dollars on a pair if eyes?
>>
File: SD F-05.png (492 KB, 439x653)
492 KB
492 KB PNG
>>6600940
Dollflower eyes go for even more and when you see a pair for sale for once they are usually sold within a day.

I once needed a very specific combination (colored sclera, two different iris, realistic patterned iris, small iris/big sclera, with bling and shimmer powder and stuff), paid roughly 100$ for Enchanted to make me that pair. Granted he's my fav and he also has three custom angora wigs and custom colored Freedom Teller sets. Honestly stopped caring with that doll, wouldn't drop the same money on some of the other here.

Honestly, it's only worth it though on dolls with big eyes, which are nowadays pretty rare. For my small eyed dolls I started doing my own eyes and because I have a lot of characters with black sclera. I rather spend money on wigs or clothes for them.
>>
File: roron 2.png (311 KB, 607x455)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
>>6600579
the basics were shown with all they were supposed to come with. which were both horn parts, elf ears, and were shown with 3 other hands parts.
>>
>>6601079
I ordered the basic and my girl came with

- elf ears
- all three mouth parts in normal skin as well as blue
- both unicorn/oni horn parts
- fist hands
-clasping hands
- optional penis part (only comes with roron body)

So basically everything that is shown, except for the flat hands and pointing/victory hands. I assume the clasping hands were substituting for one of those pairs, but that means I am still technically missing a pair of hands.
>>
File: 10.jpg (304 KB, 2160x1440)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
Had a doll come back from the faceup artist recently, I'm not entirely sold on the eyes (waiting for a pair of new ones in the mail) but otherwise I think she turned out pretty good.
>>
>>6601869
Aw man, you can't just post something like this and not tell us who the artist was. I absolutely love how the lips turned out.
>>
Ok so let’s say you want to do an old head/new body hybrid and redoing the faceup is not an option. Would intentionally yellowing the body be the better option, and if so how would I go about that?
>>
>>6600940
The kind who wants her dolls to look nice. You should try it sometime.

When it comes to small scale eyes, which I need, plastic and glass just look like absolute shit. They don't catch light at ALL, and mostly are the wrong size re:iris.

I personally like my dolls to have nice proportions and have eyes that actually reflect light. Maybe I'm a minority.
>>
>>6602031
why dont you blush the torso/neck piece so the yellow starts at the neck and blends out to regular resin tone as it reaches the shoulders?
>>
>>6602201
Im sorry you rely on overpriced garbage to make your doll pretty???????
>>
>>6600967
Valid point
>>
>>6602249
Extra wishes/custom stuff just costs more. If your dolls can work with the standard stuff from ebay, more power to you. If you need specific measurements or something that cannot be freely purchased you either fork over more money or live with ill-fitting stuff. I'm like other anon, I rather pay more than have eyes with gaps that are dark and don't fit the character.

Also you sound little defensive.
>>
>>6602249
Adding: calling the work of others "overpriced garbage" isn't nice either. Would you say that to their face too? Probably think 30$ is an outrageous price for a face-up too, hmm? Fuck people getting money for their hard work, time and experience.
>>
>>6602270

How does a deal with a face-upper work usually (in Europe).
I have that ipple doll that I don't like that much because the factory gave her bitch eyebrows.

I guess you just send the head wrapped carfully in bubble paper. And that those people are usually found on DOA.
How much time does it take ?
How much ?
Who are the (european) artists who can be trusted ?
>>
>>6602249
You clearly are blind because ED and Dollflower eyes are the best in the business and photograph the best as well. Nowhere near garbage. Post your doll's eyes then, you cheapskate.
>>
>>6602380
I admit I've never seen the appeal of Dollflower, especially for their price. IMO Dollbakery is the most superior doll eye, and Mystics and Soulinabox (new shop on etsy) are amazing. But Mystics sell their shit super cheap in Korea and like 2x as much outside of Korea and I hate when companies do that, I paid $35 PP in Korea. I stay with Mako or ED in anything 10mm or under though.

>tfw urethane addiction
>>
File: 351534543.jpg (94 KB, 566x801)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>6602336
It honestly depends on the artist in question, the all handle things their way.

Usually it goes like this:
>you find an artist you like
>check their information (how much do they cost, where are they, any restrictions etc.)
>check if they have free slots
>contact them, shortly explain what you want
>if they are interested, you discuss the rest (where to ship, additional details etc.)
This step usually evolves naturally, depending on your commission and the artist
When things are ready:
>you pack your head and ship it to the artist

Now some artists demand that you pay beforehand, others ask you to do so when the commission is ready. Some demand that you add the headcap of the doll, some don't. Honestly, the "in detail" stuff is usually outlined in the artist's commission thread/website.

>when your stuff is ready, you get pictures
>if satisfied, head is shipped back
>you leave each other feedback (rarely happens though, in my experience)

How much it costs, how long it takes...all depends on the artist. You can't give a broad answer there.
Regarding good European artists, DoA is definitely a good start if you just want an overall feeling for what's available but without a specific "I want A for X money in Y time" it's hard to recommend someone.
>>
>>6601869
What sculpt is that and was it modded? I think the mix of anime eyes and a more realistic mouth and nose looks really good.
>>
>>6602383
There does seem to be some personal preference as to if Dollbakery is the best however the colors seem too flat to me and overbright. Mystics have been around awhile but in person I find ED and Dollflower overtake Mystics in terms of depth, but I will check out Soulinabox.
Cheap good quality urethane is definitely Mako, great bang for the buck.
>>
>>6602409
I think it's DD Rise Kujikawa. She's one of the few, next to Alna, with a more pronounced nose.
>>
>>6602249
I'm sorry your dolls will always look cheap.
But hey, you got attention from anons for being needlessly contrarian.

>>6602269
This is my biggest concern, gapping and iris size, since most of my eye choices sit firmly between the standard sizes (11mm for example) its just easier to buy one expensive pair than 10 pairs of cheaper shit.

And anon was definitely defensive.
Which is more sad than anything, I don't like picking on people for not being able to afford expensive things (since thats just rude) but if you're gonna get defensive about it then, hey. Asking for it.

>>6602383
I didn't realise Mystic sell their stuff more expensive to foreigners. I wonder if that's coz they have to pay translators and dramatic shipping increase and stuff, so that contributes to the price increase? I have 2 pairs from them and I absolutely adore them.
>>
>>6602419
It depends a lot on the size of eye you're looking at as well as personal preference. Color you want makes a difference too I have 14mm Dollbakery and they really shine. I think Dollbakery is especially strong in browns, where ED and Dollflower don't deliver. I love a textured iris but once again depends on size, I try to go with a smooth and bright eye in 10mm and below. I own the most ED, especially with their ease of access. Second-most is Dollbakery, third is Mystics and Mako (tied) and then I have one pair of Soulinabox which was a great price-- can't wait to try them on a doll, but I do think they run small similar to Mako which has a normal sized white, but a hair smaller pupil IMO.

I think while we may wobble on what urethanes are best, we can all agree that they all beat the hell out of acrylics.

>>6602424
I get that dealing with foreigners is difficult, but mystics isnt even an easy to deal with company. I paid $35 for what they normally charge $60 for, and that's just too much to me.
>>
>>6601939
>>6602409
Thanks. The faceup artist is Ladious and the sculpt is indeed Rise Kujikawa as an earlier anon mentioned.
>>
>>6602249
Pro tip: Your doll only looks as good as the worst part of it. A nice doll in a shit wig looks like a shit doll.
To those unfamiliar with BJD, they see a cheap wig and cheap eyes and assume it was a cheap doll. I want my doll to look like she's actually worth what I paid for her.
>>
>>6602424

If they sound defensive you sound like a bitch anon. It's just like I said way up in the thread about eyes, once you past a certain price point it's diminishing returns. I've never seen a picture of a doll and thought ' golly gee wiz those eyes sure are pretty they must be top of the line dollflower eyes totally worth $100+!'

If your paying that much for every pair of your dolls eyes just admit you like being able to tell people the brand name when they ask so you can humble brag about your fancy shit while hiding behind a veneer of 'but muh quality and my superior doll tastes! I just can't settle for less!'

Besides you can make even eBay cheapie eyes look great with a little thing called photo shop.

Custom eyes are a different matter entirely and the sky's the limit when your ordering custom shit. But you don't need to buy the most expensive pair of standard issue eyes you can to make your doll look good, that kind of attitude belongs back in 2009 with volks elitism and chunky goth boots.
>>
>>6602637

That's total nonsense. A beautiful doll in an ugly wig is just that, no more no less. That's like saying a beautiful woman with a bad haircut is an ugly hag, Jesus I dread to imagine how you judge people if one bad feature ruins a doll for you. Are you sure you wouldn't be happier in the Lolita hobby instead?
>>
>>6602891
naw man, i have to agree with >>6602637
. whenever i see a beautiful doll in a shabby wig i cringe, because its just distracting. same for clothes. a beautiful woman in an ugly haircut is no different, sure she is still beautiful, but an ugly haircut isnt flattering and she will be laughed at for it. happens to celebrities all the time.
>>
>>6602884
Did you know that if you just take the stock photos from the website you can photoshop a nice doll you don’t even need to pay for it

Seriously eye quality makes a difference. This hobby is too niche to have fucking doll eyes as a status symbol. Cheap Chinese acrylics and glass look like shit no matter how much you photoshop it. The item you own will still be a shitty eye. But some of us don’t have dolls to spend time in photoshop so we can post them online. Some of us enjoy a quality item on the shelf.
>>
>>6602480
Really? I had a really fantastic experience with them, they sent me 2 pairs of wrong eyes, and sent me replacements immediately without charge, and seemed very apologetic. I think they pushed my replacements ahead to get them sent out asap, too.

>>6602884
I only started getting bitchy in response to anon-bitchy whining.

I don't actually own any of the "popular" urethane eyes so, no, I don't brag, at all. Nor do I own any standard issue urethane eyes, save for one pair of Mako eyes. As I've said, all of my eyes are C U S T O M.

And, sorry to say, I buy nice things for my dolls so that when I look at them they are nice. Not for photos. As >>6603007 says. Not everyone buys dolls for the community popularity. We buy dolls because we like having pretty things. And I like my pretty things to actually look pretty.
>>
File: 4545646.png (400 KB, 662x439)
400 KB
400 KB PNG
>>6602891
Nope, one part can definitely destroy the whole look. Especially wigs. When your beautiful doll wears a ratty monstrosity on its head it doesn't matter that it has a nice face-up and nice eyes, it's just hard to ignore the hairy tentacles.

>>6602884
>Besides you can make even eBay cheapie eyes look great with a little thing called photo shop.

Yeah, I can also just buy a blank doll and photoshop everything onto it for cheap.

Like other anons said, some people actually want to own nice things because they are nice. They are not doing it to be able to post them online and get praised for it.

Says more about you than the rest of us when you think people buy nice things just to brag. Except for artist pieces (and then I do it to link to the artist as kind of promotion) I never mention where I got my stuff from, unless someone really wants to know. I just want to walk past my dolls and know they are nice looking.
Fuck other people, they don't pay my stuff.
>>
File: DSC_0003.jpg (82 KB, 750x436)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
let's stop arguing about cheap shit, shall we? its just so fucking circular and ruins the thread.

sorry for the flash photos but worked on my blue chibi. on the subject of eyes, i'm thinking of getting her oscardoll eyes. they obviously aren't the best eyes for realism or depth or even quality but i think they might suit her, dunno.
>>
>>6603348
She's looking very cute!

I own some oscardoll too, but I don't really care for them or use them, man. really don't care for pupil-less eyes because it makes them impossible to 'focus' in photos.

Also an aside, prototype still lost. Shipped 54 days ago, put in a lost package claim 15 days ago. Decided to take up 3D sculpting. Not only is it less messy, if it gets lost in the mail, I can print a new one! All of my attempts are pretty shit so far, though
>>
File: dolcebella.jpg (215 KB, 1024x1024)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>6603354
I own two pair but only because they came with limited FL dolls I bought, one pair is in a realpuki so they are like 6mm. They work really well for him because the jewel catches the light where any other kind of eye that size they wouldn't. The other pair is from a realfee may, I believe they are 14mm.

An eye company I'm interested in lately is dolcebella, which dollpeddlar sells as their only overseas agent, but they never get anything new in. The eyes are like a cross between oscardoll and enchanted, basically sparkly jeweled eyes with actual depth. They have some really cool ones of their korean site but of course dollpeddlar doesn't get the good stuff.
>>
>>6603007
>This hobby is too niche to have fucking doll eyes as a status symbol

I would greatly disagree with that. In this hobby every little tging you ever do is judged and picked over and whined about by the community. For a while Oscardoll eyes were on trend and everybody was jerking off over that. Really it's less about positive trends then piling on things people find unacceptable. Like in a fucked up way I'm thankful that recast became the new thing to attack people over because that's actually harmful unlike sockdresses/faux fur wigs/ owning a cheap Chinese doll/useing acrylic eyes/making a hybrid bjd/all the other harmless bullshit everybody was so concerned about in the past. Just thinking about those days makes me wanna roll my eyes clear out of my sockets at how fucking weird people got about dolls that they had no control over. Remember the DoA threads about what constituted doll 'abuse' or how mad people would get if somebody modded a limited doll?

To get back on track a bit literally EVERYTHING in this niche hobby is used as a status symbol including owning a bjd at all or did we already forget all the wannabes trying to force people to aknowledge monster high as bjd?

>>6603317

If people want to spend big on doll eyes for their own pleasure then that's just fine and dandy. I got no problem with that. But people who insist to others that you need to spend big to make your doll look acceptable can fuck right off. I've spent years in this hobby trying to style my dolls to other people's aesthetics and 10 years later I'm just done with that. Years spent on DoD judging others people dolls were just wasted time I could have spent doing what I wanted with my collection.
>>
>>6603431
Thanks, anon!
>>
>>6603354
I got several Oscar pairs back when they visited LDoll, but sooner or later I gave all dolls (except for one) different eyes in the end. I still got a bunch that are too pretty to sell but they are not used.

They look better when your doll has bigass eyes (my DWC 01 still has his pair). I really wish Oscar would put in more care into the base, i.e. the iris, before he puts in the gems.
The realistic ones have badly printed iris and the rest is usually just one solid color.
Would prefer something like the Dolcebella pattern or the Unique Enchanted pairs.
>>
>>6603431
Did someone say your doll was ugly and it hurt your feelings?
>>
>>6603485

Quite the opposite actually. It was me who used to shit on others dolls until I realised what a waste of energy it was. Those people scribbling on their dolls with sharpie and human makeup were probably enjoying their dolls more than I was spending my time scouring the internet for photos to mock.
>>
>>6603431
That's like three different issues mixed in one though.

>But people who insist to others that you need to spend big to make your doll look acceptable can fuck right off.

There is spending big and there is spending "big".
If you are telling me the latter (i.e. spending more than just the bare minimum on everything) isn't needed to have an acceptable looking doll I don't believe you.
Sure there's quite a middle ground between 80$ eyes and 8$ acrylic eyes, but you still need to invest some money if you want something that is looking nice. Even if it's just proper materials and time to do your own shit with enough training.

>I've spent years in this hobby trying to style my dolls to other people's aesthetics and 10 years later I'm just done with that.

Yeah, that's like your problem, dude. If you can't grow some balls and do what you want with your money that's your problem. Nobody sat next to your computer and held the trigger to your head when you bought that thing you deep down didn't want.

>Years spent on DoD judging others people dolls were just wasted time I could have spent doing what I wanted with my collection.

Weird, I did that too (albeit only the ones that were seriously eye poison "Kim's World of Art" level) but somehow I still managed to take care of my collection.
Maybe instead of posting here and getting riled up again you should, uh, well, do what you want with your dolls.

Honestly I don't care what people do with their money (recasts not counting).
I just hate it when those people who never spent a dime whine around when they see nice dolls and don't want to accept that this takes effort (on all levels).
Especially when they piss on artists for offering their stuff for "too much money" or get defensive.

I do agree though that some people took the judging too far in the past.
I mean, I too thought sockdress/fur wig/cheap chinese gayboi dolls are trash, but I just kept that to myself and didn't make a big deal out of it.
>>
File: 4534687643.jpg (113 KB, 1024x687)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>6603493
Man, honestly, it's not our fault you somehow were too busy spending your time digging up other people's shit.
Do it like the rest of us and just enjoy the trainwreck when it pops up instead of digging for new trains.
>>
File: penny6.jpg (222 KB, 570x954)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>6603496

Reading your post I agree with you on almost everything your saying. I only have a problem with the 'dollflower/urethane eyes or don't even bother crowd. Or the people who tell newbies that if they aren't willing to save an extra $500 for doll acceories after they get the doll their doll will look terrible.

As far as nobody putting a gun to my head and forcing me to follow trends that's also true, but there is such a thing as peer pressure and at the time I was fresh out of high school where you learn that if you aren't following the crowd your getting trampled on by them. I feel like the hobby has grown so much over the years that a lot of the exclusionary behavior has gone down and is now a thing that only really happens on confession blogs.

On the subject of eyes, I wonder why another company has never tried to do acrylic eyes the way hujoo did a while back. They sold acrylic eyes that had a very shiny coating on them that made them look pretty good for acrylics and they were mad cheap. I remember thinking that eye style was going to become the new baby's first doll eyes but they never took off and hujoo never has them in stock anymore. Pic related, all of hujoo little animals came with those eyes.
>>
>>6603567
>Or the people who tell newbies that if they aren't willing to save an extra $500 for doll acceories after they get the doll their doll will look terrible.

To be honest, I don't think this is that far off though.

Bear with me here for a second, but I seriously think people underestimate how much the doll costs after you got it.
Buy that blank, naked doll and then try to get it nicely dressed, painted (or paint it yourself), with proper eyes and a good wig and you will reach that number without even aiming for the best of the best.
Most people won't be happy with their first and only set either, which means they spend additional money till they get to that point of "the doll feels somewhat finished now".

All those shipping costs, trial and errors you will probably go through (unless you are really lucky it usually ends up with buying more than one wig or pair of eyes till you found the right one). The materials you need to pay before you can even do one face-up.

Unless you basically buy all the stuff with the doll (for example through a dealer like Alice's Collection) and then are happy with all your first choices that somehow also all fit I can already guarantee you will spend a lot more than expected. Especially when you are new, unexperienced and don't know yet what to look out for.

Shit adds up fast. Most are just blind to the true costs because they just pay ten bucks here, twenty bucks there over a span of time.
Pretty sure most people will easily reach 500$ throughout a certain time frame till they are satisfied with their doll. Doesn't mean you should scare away the newbies, but when someone asks me for cheap doll recommendations I still tell them that they need to keep in mind that the doll itself will not be their only expense.
>>
File: Wojak.jpg (23 KB, 300x300)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Why is it whenever I get my savings account to where I want it to be, a doll I've admired forever goes on sale?
It never happens when I don't have the money and can make it a simple No, it's always when I have that extra dosh but am trying to be good.
Does anyone else experience this?
>>
I received an email today that USPS was unable to locate my package and a claim form to claim the insurance value. I think they've given up on my prototype. I'm crushed.

I guess I need to start refunding preorders. What sucks is if it shows up after I refund everyone I won't have the money needed to send to the caster again.
>>
>>6609747
Damn anon that entire situation just took a major shit on you, didn't it? If you do end up refunding and the prototype shows up, maybe you can just settle a little while, save up again, and resend?
>>
>>6609747
Wait a while before filing the claim, there is a deadline, but they will own the package once the insurance is claimed.
>>
Wondering if I could get a bit of advice?

I won a giveaway the beginning of June. The prize is a bundle of clothes.
The host was on holiday for two weeks in June.
I decided on all my pieces in the first week of July.
And I haven't even seen the seamstress make my things. She keeps giving excuses such as "I started a new job" and "School started again" and "i'm remaking some patterns in this size", all of which I understand.

But the thing that has me iffy is that she's constantly adding new "in stock" clothes to her shop, and had a Halloween sale with specific themed stock just recently.
I asked her for a shipping quote mid/late September, hoping that having the potential for a paypal claim would incentivize her to finish asap.
So we started contact June 8th, and it's now Nov 5th and to my knowledge, as of Oct 24th, she has made 2 of the 6 items I requested.

I don't feel like I have the right to kick up a fuss considering it was a giveaway prize.
But on the other hand, I have paid shipping, and she made a promise to complete the order, which I feel she is not taking seriously, and jerking me around as a result.

The hell should I do?

>>6609747
That really sucks, anon. Sorry for your shitty sitch to be in.
I would let your buyers know the sitch and see if they're happy to wait a but to see if it shows up like >>6610234 says, coz i know most people would be willing to wait a bit longer if they like the doll/artist.
>>
>>6610324
name name anons. hosting giveaways and not following through is pretty shitty, as it is clearly just a scam to get more followers/people interested in your shop. if people would name names who do that shit, then maybe they would think twice about it.
>>
>>6610360
Depending on who they are, that could also lead to nothing but the seamstress naming anon back while crying about how they have so many problems, they were almost done, anon is so impatient, etc.
>>
>>6610360
I would but part of me is still holding out hope that they'll get their shit together and send me my stuff.
If I go public, there goes any opportunity of actually getting it.

I'm definitely going to mention how absolutely shitty they were about sending it out when I get it, I just wanna push her to send it like, right away.

>>6610380
That's another worry. I'm really not impatient. I buy custom urethane eyes and buy dolls directly from Lati and have no problems waiting for any of it. I'm literally the opposite of impatient.
But she could easily spin it as "i told her to wait and shes being a bitch" and there's a chance people won't believe me, even with evidence, because i'm a nobody in this hobby.
>>
>>6610058
>>6610324

This does really blow, yeah. I'm pretty crushed. I worked so very hard on this and I can't believe it's gone. The doll was wrapped in pieces, then masking tape, then in bubble wrap and more masking tape and labelled, then in a box, which was bubble wrapped, inside another box- with the address in english and chinese taped over and over. I don't know what else I could have done.
>>6610234
Thanks for the heads up. The deadline is Nov 30th so I am going to wait until the 28th or about.
>>
Is DoA down/slow for anyone else?
>>
>>6610522
Up for me. Also, do you know that you can google if a site is down or not?
>>
>>6609747
what a nightmare. I'm really sorry anon

>>6610324
Yldenfrei did this to me a few years ago. There were some excuses in the beginning but I told him to take his time and then I forgot about it. Over a year after I called him out and he apologized but I'm pretty sure he never even started on it. I seriously hope he hasn't run another giveaway since.

If you paid shipping get a refund and forget it.
>>
>>6610467
do it on thanksgiving to be a bitch, that's what i'd do. it is completely shitty and unreasonable to make someone wait half a year almost for something they've won, especially when its just six pieces of clothes.
>>
>>6610396

For one, I wouldn’t have paid for shipping already, but also..shipping was what..$10 max??

You won a giveaway prize, and if the giveaway doesn’t state anything about time constraints...suck it up. I’ve had to wait this long for a giveaway prize before too, and it was worth it having to wait a little to get free stuff.
>>
>>6610467

Jeez, mithraldolls, don’t make it so obvious for us to find you.
>>
>>6611357
Sorry Lily went missing..
>>
>>6611359
>>
>>6611361
she went missing so you could fix that assymetrical eye and save people with ocd from insanity
>>
>>6611357
If all you get back is the money you paid for shipping, but it's at the cost of halting the investigation, why take it? Was shipping that expensive?
>>
>>6611357
I wasn’t hiding? Why would I?

>>6611430

Cost of shipping + insurance which is just $200. It’s almost $300. That’s better than nothing anyway.
>>
Can somebody ID this doll?
>>
how did they manage to make the legs look so bad holy hell
>>
>>6611894
Looks accurate for fat saggy thighs.
>>
>>6611481
Can't argue with $300
>>
>>6611057
You replied to the wrong post
>>
>>6611357
>>6611371
you, my friend, are an asshole

>>6611481
I'm so sorry you lost her but I'm glad you're not giving up on sculpting
>>
>>6611371

GIIIRL, I didn’t want to say it, thank you for doing so
>>
>>6612182

Two different anons trip fag
>>
>>6612444
are you not allowed to address multiple anons anymore?
>>
>>6612471

I mean you can but he tagged us both thinking we were the same person..
>>
>>6611371
>>6612442

She's got some asymmetry, yes, but that's why I went with an experienced casting company and paid them extra to refine small issues. It's why I chose one of the larger companies instead of Harucasting who does not offer any finishing services.

I appreciate the sympathy, everyone.
>>
>>6594139
spend $50-$60 on a Volks outfit. you will never reqret it.
>>
>>6603496
can I get an ID on this sculpt? backwards search just has old archived threads.
>>
>>6614037
It's a Switch Hyul, anon.
Here's the source:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/askacxw/27600624253

Next time try typing "flickr" and the file name "27600624253_6d6f1e5f6b_b.jpg" into Google. That's how I just found it again (was too lazy to go through my Flickr).
>>
>>6614042
bless you anon. I will keep that in mind next time I try to search
>>
>>6614046
No biggie.

Just the front bit should be enough by the way (i.e. 27600624253). When you save a pic from Flickr the url's number bit at the end is put at the front of the file name.
>>
New to this. What brand and price range am I looking at for seamless one like in this tweet https://twitter.com/akaiyoutsuki/status/928082970614775814
>>
>>6614093
That's a silicon body with a Dollfie Dream head. I've never looked at the prices all that much since the durability isn't great and stickiness can be an issue depending on the humidity and heat in your area (basically they're a lot of work to maintain), but I know they usually go for more than a regular DD body, so I'm giving a very rough guess at probably around $400+ for a body like that. The head price will vary a lot depending on which sculpt you want, but if you go for an in-stock base head you can get one with no makeup for about $45 and get it painted decently for about $85 for less detailed/less well-known artists to $200+ if you pick popular Japanese artist.

I can't tell you a whole lot about the silicon body, sorry, but the doll general on /jp/ is a better place to ask about anime-styled dolls.
>>
>>6614129
Thanks anon.
>>
>tfw your doll wears clothes more expensive than your own
>>
File: DSCF7412.jpg (475 KB, 799x1007)
475 KB
475 KB JPG
>>6614330
>tfw my owner wears clothes more expensive than me
>>
D.I.M brought a couple of their sculpts back but this is to last for a two weeks period only.
>>
Coming from someone who has only dealt with vinyls, how easy/hard is it for black clothing to stain resins like Super Dollfies? I fell in love with SDC Mina, but I don't know what sort of clothes I should be staying away from or being careful with
>>
>>6617709
They are near impossible to stain.
In the even it does stain, the color would be barely noticeable. Look for pictures of stains caused by wigs on the head caps of super dollfies.
>>
>>6617709
Unless the stuff is really dye-heavy (like unwashed denim): really hard. Most of my dolls wear black 24/7, yet have to have one of them be stained in nearly ten years.
Even if something stains them it usually can be easily wiped off.

Only thing that's common are wig stains from Dark wig caps. The sealant /MSC soaks up dye like a sponge. However, removing the face-up removes the stain too, it's only the sealant that is stained and not the resin itself.
>>
>>6617709
Don't even worry about it. The 'stains' on resin are, 99.99% of the time, only temporary transfers which come off in a couple seconds with a magic eraser. I believe this is because it's less porous than vinyls so the dye doesn't "soak in".

>>6614402
as expected of ever-classy Business Dolls Owner
>>
>>6617728
>>6617730
>>6617741
Alright, thanks. I guess I'm adding some cute Halloween dresses and that tiny business suit to my order.
>>
>>6617752
>cute Halloween dresses
where they at
>>
>>6617856
Just a couple of sets leftover from Volks' October '17 collection
>>
SO I may have lost a pair of hands I was meant to be painting for a friend. She's cool coz she knows i'll find or replace them.

Problem was theyre an open hand and a closed hand for the Spiritdoll Smart Body. Since Spiritdoll doesn't sell them separately, I'm wondering if anyone knows if they'll sell just the lost hands to me? Or if I'd need to buy a whole doll to replace those hands.
>>
>>6614402
Dang anon, what do you do that requires such heavy duty winter gear???
>>
>>6620827
>what do you do that requires such heavy duty winter gear???
NAYRT, but I'm going to guess they live in the North. That's enough.
>>
>>6620308
Honestly, just ask them. Best with a certificate photo or something else that proofs the body is legit. I doubt they will say know if you act a little distressed.
>>
Is this the thread to ask about
phicen?
>>
Where could I go for 1/3 scale furniture that isnt etsy?
>>
File: 2315346414.jpg (111 KB, 1024x714)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>6622024
I'm afraid not, mate. Think the Fashion Doll thread might be the better place.

>>6622465
There are a few odd pieces on Taobao, but else I would have said etsy too. 1/3 furniture is a nightmare to get.

Otherwise, try to search for bjd furniture at all and hope you find someone who's willing to sell stuff or accept commissions.
>>
>>6620827
I'm a nurse.
>>6621313
I live in the cold North.
>>
>>6622024
>>6622520
Phicens are aimed at the Cy Girls/Hot Toys/Triad Toys (idk i'm out of touch) crowd and generally considered part of the 1/6 figure hobby rather than fashion dolls (and definitely not BJDs...come on anon, do you see a ball joint anywhere on that rubbery body?)
I see people make threads to talk about them pretty often so you can probably just make a new thread for your Phicen question/comment and it'll get responses.
>>
Awww yiss, my local group is planning a meetup! It has been far too long (we're all busy as shit).
>>
Thoughts on the Sailor Moon DD? Kinda hope they release other soldiers too
>>
>>6629127
not feeling it t b h
>>
>>6629127
It reminded me of why I hate default DDs so much. She looks haunted.

>low key waiting for a Saturn/Pluto outift tho
>>
>>6603606
Well put
>>
>>6629127
The face just feels very off. Haunted is a good term, she has a bit of a blank thousand yard stare that doesn't really capture Usagi's nature.
>>
>>6629127
Eh? Is this an official Volks release?
>>
File: 643898.jpg (153 KB, 600x959)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>6630568
Yeah:
https://myfigurecollection.net/item/643898
>>
>>6630574
man they really dropped the ball with this one didn't they? It's like they tried to make the head too realistic for a super-cartoony character. Regardless, I think with a different faceup this doll could be probably really nice. The eyes seem way too small for that shape though.
>>
File: FIG-DOL-6299_09.jpg (81 KB, 600x800)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>6631319
Azone did a much better job of nailing the 90s anime style a few years ago.
>>
>>6631368
Azone as of late has really stepped up to the plate. I expect in a few years they are really going to be putting out some amazing stuff.
>>
>>6629127
I love it and every time I look at it I love it more. I think they did a great job of interpreting the feel of SM without going full anime. I do wish the eyes weren’t inspired by Crystal tho.
>>6631368
But I also think this is god awful ugly burn it. I was a huge fan of SM as a kid but looking back, the art style left something to be desired.
>>
>>6630574
She's cute but the face and eyes seem like the Crystal style even if it's not branded as a specifically Crystal based doll. I don't think they were going for replicating the 90s look (some of Volks' older animetic eyes had a perfect 90s look, as did older DD face sculpts, and I think they could have done that if they wanted to; they just decided not to.)
>>
>>6631368
I never noticed this before -- why are her epaulet tassels weird, shapeless white lumps?! wtf Azone. Just use little pieces of cord, like the same material as the one across her chest.
>>
>>6611894
That's fucking gross.
>>
What do you guys think of SDink?
>>
>>6611926
What? Are you blind?

>>6611894
I don't understand. Is that a point of articulation or have they randomly shaded dark crescents on the thighs?
>>
I will be purchasing the dollfie on the right soon, and it is my first. Is it a guarantee that the outfit will stain the vinyl? Should I definitely use a body sock underneath?
>>
>>6637109
Nevermind, the outfit is lined with white on the inside
>>
>>6635725
Totally overblown popularity she just has because in ye olde days her stuff was pretty good, especially compared to most trainwrecks old Dollshe dolls were (cause they are hard to paint). Most of her current fans are people from back then.

However, in reality her stuff is low in details, messy and pretty boring. Most of her "magic" is due the way she takes pictures, namely with low aperture, muddy light, from far away.
She admitted herself that she has no clue how to use her camera and just uses auto mode too.
Pic related, pic on the left is taken with her cam, right she has taken with her iPad. She had posted it after people accused her of editing her pictures, because nowadays her stuff just doesn't blow away people anymore like it did back then.

Not sure I would pay 100+$ for that on the right.
>>
>>6637309
Her prices now. Yikes.

I can't say I'm a better artist or anything but the popularity to be able to charge that much for that is enviable.
>>
>>6635725
Saw a faceup and fantasy part blushing (lower legs of some Soom guy) by SDink in person a few years ago, owner was super proud. It was well done but not particularly impressive or anything. Must've cost a fortune.
>>
>>6637309
Yknow whats weird tho?
You can tell the bad quality in HER photos. Its not like her nice pictures change the poorly applied paint, especially in the lips.
>>
So, did anyone place an order for 5th motif's final release of venitu and goohwa?
>>
>>6637761
I'm really upset the fresh resins will not be available.
>>
>>6590613
>dat jpg
>the weak should fear the strong
>>
I swear I haven't seen JPop Dolls put any Asella dolls up for preorder since 2015, and Raspberry preorders in pink flesh just opened up. It's a Thanksgiving miracle, /toy/! I get my dream doll after all.
>>
File: DSC_0001.jpg (153 KB, 650x1729)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>6603348
so I had to repaint my Lilin because the MSC started ghosting like crazy. I knew it was too wet to paint when I started but I thought it'd still be okay. I had to wipe both of them, but I'm glad I did, she's much better the second time around.
>>
File: 454534534.png (508 KB, 500x751)
508 KB
508 KB PNG
>>6637593
It's a bit hazy, but as far as I remember the reason she even asks so much in the first place was that back then she actually tried to scare away people a little. She had so many people interested in her work it overwhelmed her, so some people said she should just up the prices. It did weed out some of the really cheap people but she had enough crazy fans for it not to make much of a difference, just that she now got more money.

>>6637730
Had a really awkward moment like that with a friend. Tried to take a picture of her doll with a SDink face-up and that thing was just so unbelievable bland and overall just underwhelming. She had been gushing about how one of her dolls got that super gorgeous, expensive SDink FU.
I asked her why she hadn't brought along that doll (at that point I still loved her work too).
You could tell she was a bit shocked and hurt when she mumbled "that is the doll in front of you" and I was all ".......oh.".

>>6637745
Granted the face-up in question isn't one of her best works either, but yes. Keep in mind though the pic on the left is cropped, on her original pics the doll was as usual a million miles away and the pic itself was small too. See attached.

Just checked her Flickr, those lashes:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91252518@N00/37753171172

Yuck.

Better Venitu:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91252518@N00/36921053475

Her stuff is just...very outdated and it's clear that at one point she stopped getting better/regularly painting. It's also a bit hit or miss at times. Certainly not worth the money, at least not nowadays.
>>
So if not sdink what is everyone's vote for 'most amazing faceup artist'?
>>
>>6638670
pearls of danube, julia cross, silly mysterious woman are some of my favs. julia cross in particular (she is also the sculptor for legende de temps.)

others i like are angel toast and rugged realism
>>
>>6635737
> Is that a point of articulation or have they randomly shaded dark crescents on the thighs
Anon...The crescents you're talking about are the shadows from the bottom of the ball shape at the top of the thighs...it's not a point of articulation but it's the ball of a joint. Have you seen many dolls irl? This is a pretty bog-standard feature to notice/ask about, out of all the fucked up joint decisions on taht doll.
>>
File: p028-1.jpg (50 KB, 395x540)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Do you guys do Pullips?
Is http://www.jpgroove.com legit? They have some good prices but I've never gotten into them before. The model I really want to start with is a limited model but they have them up for sale despite ebay pricing them twice as much.
>>
>tfw my phone is part of some mass ISP ban and now I can't mobile post

>>6639077
Yeah, there's a good overlap between BJD and Pullip collectors.

>http://www.jpgroove.com
I'm not going to lie, if that IS the official site, it looks sketch as hell. I get my new releases from AmiAmi. Other popular options include Pullip Style, Hobby Link Japan, and Hobby Search (1999co).
>>
>>6638670
Rugged Realism, Heirophant Mori, PropertyoftheUchiha, Kingnut to name a few.

Julia Cross, like anon mentioned, is good too.
>>
>>6640194
That happened to my phone a couple weeks ago (seemed to have IP permaban from 4chan even though i didn't do anything banworthy and just come here to occasionally post dollshit) but then it went away.

>>6639077
>>6640194
Ever since the line changed from being produced by Jun Planning to Groove (i think same 'company' under new management?) the quality, presentation, etc has gone downhill so it's not surprising they have a shitty website too.
>>
I have a question for all you knowledgeable anons out there. Do you think 170$ is an ok price for a Luts Delf El without box and papers?
>>
File: 36554505070_9363bde029_h.jpg (504 KB, 1600x1066)
504 KB
504 KB JPG
>>6642830
The old Delf are a little difficult to price.
They are long sold-out but most people who wanted one have one nowadays, since they aren't really the hottest shit to own anymore and most of their fans older collectors anyway.
Many aged badly and they have been one of the first recasts to be out there. In case of El you were also able to get the upgraded Feeple version from Fairyland.

If he has the default face-up or anything else to proof he's legit, then it's a steal. especially when the doll is in a somewhat okay-ish state. Else I probably would say no just to avoid the risk.

There was a Delf El on Manda a while ago with both heads, both with default face-ups, in his box. Was less than 300$. Sometimes I regret I didn't snatch that one up.
>>
>>6639077
They are legit and in fact the official US distributor for Pullip. Their prices are sometimes a little higher but they often have stock you can't get elsewhere/sometimes have specials that are worth snatching up.
Check the link list at the bottom for more Pullip stores:
https://pullipsandjunk.com/links/

Agree though that their website is fucking ugly.
>>
>>6643066
Those cats are fucking adorable. There's something quite charming about sphynx cats with the little wrinkles between their ears.
>>
>Got a little excited talking about Christmas presents I'm getting for myself with family
>Mentioned a doll
>Family asks how much the doll is and I stupidly said the actual price
>Cue good hour of being guilt tripped over the cost

I'm still buying the doll because it's my money, but man that was annoying. I'm really good with money, too. I'm actually the only person in my family without debt but apparently buying dolls means you're a hot mess when it comes to money.
>>
>>6644145

it's okay anon, as long as a doll makes you happy don't worry about what anyone else says. especially if you can afford one
>>
>>6644145
Return the favor when they want to buy something that is their hobby. Like a car or golf club or something.
>>
>>6644145 #
If it happens again, either compare it to something "acceptably" expensive that normal ppl are used to (ex a high end Swiss watch being hundreds of dollars and nothing like a $20 dept store one) or say it's akin to a piece of sculpture/artwork so it's like buying an artist statue or painting. These comparisons can get people to lay off.

If they keep bugging you even so, They're probably just jealous that you have your financial shit together lol
>>
>>6644543
>>6644562
>>6644611
Thanks, anons.

>say it's akin to a piece of sculpture/artwork so it's like buying an artist statue or painting
I actually did try that one! This same issue has come up with a few other things (I come from a family of people who like to buy a lot of the cheaper version of something instead of saving up for something REALLY nice), and of course, they change their minds when they see the difference in quality. Maybe they'll realize this isn't a Barbie I'm spending this much money on when my doll gets here. If not, oh well, life moves on.
>>
>>6642830
Ehhh, unless he's 10 years old, that's more of a recast price.
>>
>>6644898
If it was the one on Dollyteria, it's probably legit. You seldom see recasts floating around in Japan. It looked like it had the default faceup to me. But it's sold out now.

I bought a minifee for $120 from Dollyteria, with the default faceup, one time.
>>
>>6644898
With some dolls it really depends. Wouldn't expect to get a Soom Amber for this and think it's legit, but like >>6642947 said Delfs are difficult to price. There is a super wide range price-wise for them. If it's indeed sold on Dollyteria I wouldn't be surprised. Old doll without anything that ain't a Volks? They won't ask much. Still crying for that less than 400$ Bermann they once sold.

Also considering how long Delfs have been discontinued now none of them are "new" anymore, unless that person bought their doll and never took it out.
>>
>>6644920
>Old doll without anything that ain't a Volks? They won't ask much
Old dolls that ARE a Volks tend to be dirt-cheap too (unless they're a sought-after LE, which most of them aren't.) Y!J, Mandy, and Closet Child/Dollyteria all tend to have rock bottom prices on Volks, $100-150 on MSDs and $200-300 on SDs, you can easily find one for the price of a Resinsoul or AoD.
>>
>>6645707
That's true, but usually those definitely need some tlc. Got a MSD Ken once from Mandarake for ~80$. Checking the "JUNK" term can be helpful.

However, the "foreign" dolls usually tend to go for less even when in good condition (even if Western good condition isn't the same as Japanese Good Condition). Sadly this has changed in the last years, probably realized their prices were too low. Especially the ones on Dollyteria are close to prices you would see on DoA too.
>>
>>6645707
>>6645746

I've been resisting the urge to buy old Volks forever but I'm pretty sure if I run into a sub $200 4-sister in Japan, it's going to be a hard time.
>>
Random question, they seem to be pretty uncommon but what sort of price does a Feeple65 boy (or just the body) go for on the MP these days? About $5-600...? I'm not holding out hope for FL to make them available any time soon :(
>>
>>6646801
There's a muscular boy body in NS (and with box etc.) on DoA right now for 500$.
It's also the only one for sale right now. As usual more FL girls for sale than FL guys.

Was posted yesterday.
>>
I bought a standard SD with box and papers though with damaged factory face up for 180$. Condition wise I looked like a display only doll. Don't know why people still ride the "but Volks is expensive and for elitist!!!!1!1" train, desu.
>>
>>6645746
>even if Western good condition isn't the same as Japanese Good Condition

Genuine question: What's the difference?
>>
>>6647704
It's because all they know about Volks is
>everything is limited and hard to get
>prices on DoA reflect their prices overall
>Volks owners tend to stick together because muh elitism

Granted, being able to snatch up some abused School A on Manda for cheap does not really reflect on the reality of Volks and their wacky second-hand prices. Volks is extremely expensive, especially when you consider they constantly re-use molds and their dolls are as normie as it gets nowadays. If you see some boring regular SD dude with a head/body that has existed for several years now going for double the price as a new Soom or FL fantasy full-set it's just normal you think something is off there. I like the Volks aesthetic, but I quickly grew tired of "having to pay 800$+ for a blank head with somewhat potatoe-esque retro features" because the popular Volks molds everyone is going crazy about ARE super expensive. You won't get a Williams or Lorina for 180$.

They are expensive, but the elitism bit is silly. As if all those MNF only people who stick together are any better. Sure there are some people who think they are superior for owning Volks only, buy you have the same with other dolls too.

Personally I think that, at least the ones who go all "default face-up Volks and Volks stuff only" and at best buy those from ebay on top, are super normie BJD collectors who have zero clue about the hobby. Like fashion collectors for BJDs. No elitism, just easy route with no interest to do research or see what the hobby has to offer.
>>
>>6647713
At least from my experience it's usually that the Japanese are a lot stricter about stuff that differs from "factory new" quality. Things like a damaged box, opened parts, easily to remove dirt, customization of any kind.

Or better: our definition of "used" is not the same.
For some used is basically having opened the box. For most people on DoA and co. used means "showing signs of usage, borderline to damage".
Fuck, some of those "Junk" Volks on Manda would easily go for double the price on DoA simply because our definition of Junk is just way worse.

I guess it's because their definition of this hobby is different overall.
I never had the feeling that buying BJDs is like a true "collecting" hobby. I never saw myself as a collector either. Most buy BJDs to realize their creative ideas, their purchases are based on how they can work with the doll and if it fits their idea. Not based on "I want to own doll X to make my line from company Z complete" or "I buy all dolls of company Z" or "I really just buy full-set dolls to put them in my cabinet". Because of that a couple of things true collectors value just don't matter to us. Like dent in a box, true NRFB, still sealed full-set clothes. As long as it looks good, isn't overly damaged or showing signs of age it's basically "like new" and perfect for its intended purpose.

If you buy/define BJDs as decorative collection pieces or define the BJD hobby as regular collecting hobby other things matter to you.
>>
>>6647794
Well, then it's a good thing I never liked any of their popular dolls ^^'
>>
>>6647794
the mnf lovers who still bought them even when fairyland was sending out dolls with defects and not replacing the parts just drove me crazy

is fairyland still doing that or did they fix their quality control?
>>
>>6648510
They got better, and a lot faster (a while the waiting times were old Soom level), but still not good. At least in regards to fitting parts, especially in the head area. Stuff like huge seamlines or this odd "rattling" noise they make when you shake them a bit never disappeared.

No clue if their customer support is better nowadays.
It's a shame, their engineering is so good, that centaur body was so beautiful too.
>>
Does anyone know if UnoaAlchemy plans on sending the hands they forgot to ship with the chibi lottos after hiatus?

Never got a response after opting for the hands to be shipped anyways and not refunded in thier last message...
>>
>>6649206
I didn't get mine either (item, refund, or response) but I know at least one of the lovely ladies that runs it lurks here. I'm sure they're working on it or will be soon. Or it was all a ruse to shut people up that were complaining.
>>
>>6649206
Bug them on instagram or tumblr.
>>
>>6649206
havent got anything either. i was tempted to get a faceplate, but just chose hands instead.
>>
>>6649379

Would it be better to bug them via dms or tagged in a post?
>>
Ok anons, i need to know.

What is the trend with purchasing a male doll, dressing it up as a "girl" but then still saying its a boy in the end. I need to know what train everyone is on.
>>
>>6652099
cross dresser doll?
>>
File: cder.jpg (487 KB, 816x1224)
487 KB
487 KB JPG
>>6652099
>>6652105
OL is going to flip when she finds out he was going through her clothes.
>>
>>6652099
That's not a trend. It is an eternal, timeless part of the BJD community. Kawaii uke bishie trap boys and BJDs are lovers, destined by the stars themselves to continuously cross paths and elope.

I honestly don't know exactly how it started, but it really has been a thing since I started in the hobby (around 2006). Something something anime most likely.
>>
>>6652135

but that color suits him so well
>>
>>6652135
what a prancing la-la homo man
>>
File: 7.jpg (28 KB, 481x722)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>6652099
What >>6652431 said.

Back then it were your regular bishonen guys that, at least people from outside anime and co. circles, would mistake for girls. You know, your long haired slim androgyne guys from 90s/early 00s animes in somewhat questionable clothes.

Over time things just got more extreme.
While usually not traps, since their owners don't want people to think they are girls, they are pretty close look-wise. Traps are nowadays also very popular, just look at /cm/ and /y/.

It's definitely a very anime/yaoi inspired thing. Not to mention that a lot of feminine guys/girls who like to pretend to be feminine guys for internet points now have platforms they can share their stuff on and get popular for.
>>
>>6652099
>trend
It's existed for the whole time that this hobby has (18-19 years.) It is forever.
>>
>>6652099
checked. Bunch of women expressing their sexuality in a safe doll-controlled homoerotic environment that has been a sub-sub-culture of the bjd fandom since it's inception.
>>
>>6652546

This is what I find odd about the current crop of hobbyists. They're still generally very much influenced by yaoi or Japanese culture in most other aspects, but they flip out if you call their doll a trap.
>>
>>6655306
It's because trap to them is a rude term, partly because some people use it towards trans individuals too (and in some cases to justify violence towards them, as in "you tricked me into thinking you are a woman").

Not to mention because it is not their goal. They don't want people to think it's a woman, they very much want them to know "this is a guy, which I made to look like a woman on purpose".
There are a lot of reasons for it, and I remember we already talked about this once.

I still think in some cases it's powerplay shit, especially when they turn it up to eleven and make them look like fragile boys with bruises and other signs of abuse. Got no power over men in real life, so it's a bit of a fantasy to dominate and humiliate one through this. Which doesn't work anymore when you call them trap or whatever, because it takes away this "forcing a guy into looking like a woman" thing and instead turns it into this trap culture thing, where dudes do it on purpose.
Sure, there are a lot who probably just like the aesthetic, but in some cases it's super obvious they just have a very fucked up idea of men.
>>
>>6652431
Never understood the appeal of girlie-looking men amongst fujo.
A male who isn't manly isn't attractive IMO. Those uke are just little boys with a dicks. Something I though could only appeal to males. Or maybe those characters are for self insertion ?
>>
>>6657274
*little girls

Sorry.
>>
>>6655753
I nerer though of that this way.
Woooa if it's true, some have huge issue toward men. That would explain modern feminism. Also I don't really like the fact they see dressing up girlie as humiliating. For me it's a privilege. Men are forced to wear boring ass clothes, but we have the choice between cute and boring comfy clothes.
>>
>>6657276
I don’t think that power and abuse often come into the picture. I don’t think it’s about humiliation. Usually most people tend to attribute the behavior to being uncomfortable as a woman or uncomfortable with their own sexuality. Girly boys serve the purpose of typically defining heterosexual relations (uke/seme shit) while removing the girl from the equation. Soft feminine men allow especially awkward and inexperienced women to enjoy it in a way that doesn’t bring their own sexuality into play.
I would agree that the weird abuse dolls that are kind of popular now may be a power issue. Though I also think some of it is plainly for attention in the same way Munchasens works. But I don’t think abuse and yaoi go hand in hand most of the time.
>>
>>6657396
>But I don’t think abuse and yaoi go hand in hand most of the time.

Mate, lots of the popular seme/uke tropes and popular yaoi stories (especially in the early 00s but still today) were about abuse, both mental and physical. So many stories about "one dude is madly 'in love' with another and rapes/kidnaps/whatevers him till the other falls in love with him too" or other versions of it were the shit.
Look at classics like Bronze/Zetsuai, Kizuna or Finder or the shitton of fanfiction people produce. I consumed a lot of that stuff till I got older and realized it's actually extremely odd and not romantic at all what's shown there. I still enjoy it, but I understand now that it IS fucked up.
Of course you still have your softcore, fluff, real romantic relationship content...but there is enough abuse stuff out there.

You are right though that it is a way to explore sexuality, especially among younger people. What I wrote earlier was also just a theory, which is also why I said "in some cases", but it is a little odd how many of them do this "borderline shota uke in baby clothes that gets the shit hit outta them" thing.

No matter the root, there is something off about it. Especially when they don't realize it's "not normal". People can like all the fucked up stuff they want, I have a long list I am guilty of myself, you just need to be aware that it's fucked up.

>>6657276
As said, I just think it's the case for some of them. If you are a raging shut-in that only consumes that kind of stuff and has nearly no contact/interest towards living men, get pushed by some crazies on Tumblr and co. it's just normal to develop these thoughts and start to let it bleed into the things you consume. Same like your waifu loving dudes who hate real women and thus consume mostly fucked up 2D porn.

Also dressing up girlie doesn't have to be humiliating. But forcing a dude into it who doesn't want to certainly is.
>>
>>6657274
Self-insert is definitely part of the appeal.
It also explains why for some this uke/seme thing is so important and extremely strict done. When they pair two guys one of them HAS TO be the uke that acts all soft and girly, even if in canon he's not like that at all.

However, a lot of these things are not done by people on purpose. Much what is discussed above is the same too. Like, they don't enjoy/consume that kind of stuff with these things in mind. Most will never realize what is the root for their fetishes. It's like girls with daddy issues who never really get why they somehow seem to be into older guys.
>>
>>6657276

>That would explain modern feminism

Really? Then I guess lolicon and 2d waifu worship explains mra and the alt right.
>>
I know there's a serious conversation going on, and I hate to be the person who interrupts that, BUT GUESS WHO JUST ORDERED THEIR FIRST DOLL? It's me.
>>
>>6657885

which doll did you order?
>>
>>6657908
I just bought a Noble Dolls Raspberry. I've always loved looking at other people's BJDs, but I never really felt that "I gotta have this doll" feeling until seeing Raspberry. I thought I'd have to buy one secondhand, but I just placed a preorder for a brand new one. I think she should only be a few inches taller than my Pullips, so it'll look nice on display, too.

I'm so excited. I'm ordering wigmaking supplies already.
>>
File: 1466416181589.jpg (101 KB, 513x486)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>6657466

3dpd heil hitler
>>
>>6657885
Congrats on your first doll anon!
>>
>>6655753
the trap controversy is dumb but this explains why i bought so many boy dolls as a teen and completely changed over to girl dolls as an adult
>>
>>6657434
>>6657432

This is why even though I'm personally a fan of traps, I can't find many girly boy dolls I actually like. Too much of it is cringey and obviously just self-inserting on the owners part.

I feel like finding a doll that doesn't have a really unhealthy over the top yaoi character and backstory is so hard to find despite the abundance of girly boys.
>>
>>6658376
Aren't most character (back)stories cringy self-insertaion anyway? I don't know how many He/She/They are a fashion model/musician/artist/superspecialsnowflake charas I 've seen already. Feels like everybody and their granny's dog's flees has those these days but whatever, you do you.
>>
So the /toy/ guide is down. /jp/'s guide is just fine, though.

Shoe recommendations, anyone? I'm finding shoes in styles I like that are poorly made and shoes that are well-made but look straight out of the early 00s visual kei scene. I just want some simple, cute shoes without visible glue.
>>
>>6658935
oh shit the guy finally deactivated my gmail
sorry guys i dont think i have a backup
>>
>>6658945
Honestly it's for the best. We can write a whole new guide now.
>>
>>6658974
yeah i got into vinyl after writing it so it was pretty outdated. but i am a little sad its all gone now (and all my emails)

i was always offering to add editors to it but only one person ever took me up
>>
>>6658974
I still have the 2.0 guide at hand I wrote long ago but got never added to the OP.
I can share the link again.
>>
>>6659222
Here's the guide again, sorry for the drive link but 4chan whined about every url shortener I tried to use:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1grB6HlGb8DHzvNp0_dtJePXvazwUNW0bsfVN2Svzl0g/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>6658894
>Feels like everybody and their granny's dog's flees has those these days but whatever

Much like the androgyne dudes this has been part of the hobby since ye olde days. Back then they were all fallen angel/demons gone rockstar through reincarnation or whatever.

Keep in mind that just because you collect dolls and make silly characters for them =/= being a skilled, creative person who actually puts time, care, research etc. into character creation and aims for something realistic while doing so. Most of them only know silly anime tropes and that's all they want.
>>
>>6659473
Sounds like an Anne Rice novel.
>>
>>6659480
Early 00s were a lawless wasteland
>>
>>6659473
But still some of those animu trope character people look down on shelling pre-existing animu characters as dolls.
>>
>>6659509
It's because they think they are super creative and artistic, even if they aren't, unlike those boring people who just try to own a bigass action figure doll of their favourite character.
>>
>>6659521
well t b h putting together a good-looking custom doll is harder than just buying a fullset
>>
File: 37731863461_c5686fa6cd_k.jpg (693 KB, 2048x1365)
693 KB
693 KB JPG
>>6659530
A good looking custom doll is easy if you aren't a poorfag and willing to shop around. The character might still be a dumb af one but you don't see that on pictures. Getting some nice clothes, wig, eyes, and a proper face-up is no rocket science. Doesn't have to be any super special creative concept or whatever either.
Lots of people just lack "the eye" though and don't understand how to learn and be inspired by the works from others.

Putting together a custom for an existing media character is hard, simply because it's cosplay in really fucking small. You are forced to do it yourself or commission someone, and many seamstresses don't like doing that kind of stuff. Extra points when you buy a doll that actually nails the face/body and really looks like a tiny version.
Sure, you skip the "need to design myself something" part, but eh.

Buying a full-set of any kind is easy mode, doesn't matter if it's generic doll full-set or that Volks DD full-set of waifu XY.
>>
>>6659709
Even if you are a poorfag, you can do it. Stop buying all of those small impulse things and save your money for good, quality products. Example: instead of buying five shitty $20 wigs, buy one nice $100 that you ACTUALLY LIKE. I wish this hobby wasn't so full of grown adults spending money like 10 year olds who just got allowance for the first time.
>>
>>6659768
That's how I did it after a while. Makes for less clutter you need to sell again too.
>>
File: y tho.png (23 KB, 305x378)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
Anyone know the details behind why PSP and Kohaku had a metaphorical divorce?
Someone had the balls to ask if it's because kohaku doesnt make her free clothes anymore and that made me crease.
>>
Are 300$ a lot for a third Hand volks yosd without box, papers or any Extras?
>>
>>6662051
Pintsize is an insane dramafag so it could be fucking anything. I don't know who that other person is but parting ways from Pint is probably a good decision.
>>
>>6663050
Depends on condition and how old it is.
$300 could be a deal if the condition is excellent and only2-4 years old.

But if its like, 10 years old and the face up is damaged, yellowing badly, etc... then no. Its worth like $100.
>>
>>6663050
Which Yo, and do you know the release year/edition?
>>
>>6663059
>>6663065
It's a Colin. The seller didn't give any additional information apart from the things I already mentioned and that it was one of their first dolls when they started the hobby.
I dug around a bit and found out Colin/Remi was released in 2009. The doll in the sales post doesn't have the factory face-up anymore.
>>
>>6662051
What brand?
>>
>>6663161
PSP is a one-off by the Batshit Company
>>
>>6663169
anon doesn't seem to like her that much, I wonder why.
>>
>>6663183
Different anon but it doesn’t take much digging to find how much whinge and drama she drags up. This isn’t vendetta posting my dude.
>>
>>6663183
NAYRT but her drama is known throughout not just the BJD hobby but within circles of other doll collectors, too.
>>
>>6663232
>>6663055
I need to know all about it!
In her video s she seems to propagate that she doesn't care for the drama everyone else is causing.
>>
>>6663318
>In her video s she seems to propagate that she doesn't care for the drama everyone else is causing.
Anon...that's like THE drama queen move. It's right up there with "all of my exes are crazy" and "I don't get along with other girls."

Notice how PSP made this post >>6662051 but Kohaku hasn't said a peep (publicly) about this? Yeah. If you really wanted to stay away from drama, you wouldn't announce to the whole world that you're no longer on good terms with someone.

Look up her tags on the confession tumblrs for a full run down. I could have sworn she had her own KiwiFarms thread too, but I guess she was only mentioned a few times there. I don't personally want to be responsible for shitting up the thread with drama.
>>
>>6663354
>I don't personally want to be responsible for shitting up the thread with drama.
Mate, if not here...where else?
>>
>>6663376
Anon, you don't Know how right you are.
>>
>>6663354
The confessions I found were all about how ugly her dolls are and how she has zero scupting/face up skills not about anything giving her away as the shit stirring person anons are implying she is.
>>
File: 42425454654.png (1.15 MB, 633x1021)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>6663572
Okay, I try to stitch it together a little from archived 4chan threads.

So the thing with Pintsized is, she's definitely super odd, messy, dirty. Like her work is pretty much close to her behaviour.

Next to the fact her stuff just looks like shit and she accepts zero criticism she did things like
>restringing someone elses doll with her naked feet holding the doll
>visiting Denaliwind, after barely knowing her (she pretty much pushed herself onto her), and generally acting like an ass while she was there (I am not sure if the videos are still there, but the whole situation was extremely weird)
>some odd copying drama with Boyviscera, which was basically two people with fugly dolls bitching at each other for no reason
>some drama regarding recasts (I think she was neutral once but then went anti or whatever)

I am not following her enough and only am updated whenever something totally went to shit again here or through confession blogs. It's difficult to describe, maybe someone who keeps a closer eye on her can elaborate a little better.

No matter what, she's an arrogant ass with fugly dolls.
>>
>>6663183
>>6663572
Pintsizedpalace is, I think, the person who dropped in on Denaliwind's real life house for a basically unannounced visit. She also treats constructive-criticism type remarks ("thin your paints" etc) as a personal attack and blocks people who do it.

...however, for a while, I personally was thinking of her as doing a bunch of other dramatic shit because I had her mixed up with another person whose dolls have the same shit-smeared aesthetic and who is constantly accusing others of copying their dolls and screaming that everyone who doesn't kiss their ass is transphobic. Totally blanking on that person's name, though. But that turned out to be someone else.

I think it's mostly the Denaliwind thing, treating criticism as an attack, and allthe coy "ooh i'm above drama" shit like that Kohaku post upthread. Could be missing some major knowledge though.
>>
>>6663668
Oh, the person whose name I was blanking on was boyviscera, thanks >>6663659. Yeah the fact she was slinging shit with that crowd or otherwise keeping company with them causes her to exude the same feeling of infantile drama (screaming over copying, etc)
>>
>>6663659
>feet on doll during restringing
I put clean socks on and restrict this contact to like, their torso, but honest question: how the fuck are some of you restringing your dolls WITHOUT using either your feet or recruiting a strong and patient person to help you? I guess if you have someone to help it wouldn't be necessary, or else if it may depend on the engineering of the doll, but tight stringing with three of my four SDs requires this type of "third hand".
>>
>>6663668
>crazy doll person you were nice to online in the interest of civility drops by your house irl
This is the fucking nightmare scenario in this hobby
>>
>>6663680
Honestly, I do it too. Or kinda wedge the doll between my legs.

However, it's not someone else's doll, my skin is not naked AND I don't record that shit and put it online for everyone to see.

You should know that putting your naked feet on someone elses several hundred bucks expensive doll is not something you should a) do and b) upload for the whole world to see.
>>
>>6663700
Ok, point taken
>>
>>6663659
>>6663668
>>6663675
>>6663685
Well, that still doesn't sound like legit drama to me, desu. It's not illegal to have ugly dolls and if people wanna throw money at you for your uglyfication services that's still their (horribly bad) choice. Everyone is free to ignore unwanted criticism or advice especially if you didn't ask for it in the first place. Also, if you visit someone you barely know from the internet and the other person invites you in? Guess What? That's also their choice. All the stuff mentioned here is no reason at all why people attach that dramaqueen lable. So it all boils down to guilty by affiliation?

And here I thought there was some major shit flinging I hadn't heard about, yet. Seems like I got my hopes up to early...
>>
>>6663749
Let's say she's just a generally unpleasant person to have around and not someone who's intentionally going out of her way to cause drama.
>>
>>6663659
She's an attention-loving dumbass, is all. Good on her for monetizing it.
>>
File: 20161206060144cont5.jpg (78 KB, 463x881)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Will I be able to style Len's wig using JUST the PVA glue method? Or should I use a different method or more products? His hair is pretty spiky and sticks up quite high, will I be able to get that volume with just PVA?
>>
>>6663749
This is 4chan, not tumblr. A person doesn't need to be problematic or otherwise actually doing something "immoral" to get dragged for being cringy and making ugly shitty artwork.

>>6663795
that's a beautiful customization but also it makes me think about the gifset of edible glitter where people were saying to put it in/on your vag before someone goes down on you
>>
https://truebjdconfessionz.tumblr.com/post/168306199215/when-duckzz-shares-bad-advice-and-finally-stains-a

This was just posted (this blog changes the names so you can still identify them but it can't be googled, this is about Pintsizedpalace).

If this is true I am not sure if this still counts as "oh, her dolls are just ugly".
>>
>>6663965
Owner already replied in the comments. On their Insta she wrote what she had to do to get the head somewhat clean again (incl. sanding it). But because she's a bit of a pushover she's of course one of those "tehee, this is not so bad, I just had to do <million things> and sand him" people.

Like, what the fuck. Not once did I remove a face-up that forced me to sand the head, not even ones who had their face-ups for like ten years, were heavily airbrushed or whatever.
>>
>>6663680
I only have MSD and smaller but I use my hands mostly/knees to hold torso in a pinch.
>>6663685
TBF, if I remember correctly she ASKED before showing up at Denalis house but.. they had only been friends for like a week and I'm sure Denali felt pressured.
>>6663965
Was going to mention this, she takes commissions and uses non-safe materials. Didn't she use clear nail polish for tears recently on someones doll?
>>
>>6663975
In the photo post-sanding it truly looks like the head lost some sculptural detail because it had to be so drastically sanded.
>>
>>6664126
>Didn't she use clear nail polish for tears recently on someones doll?
That was Culur, but she regularly uses pencil too and always ignores people when they ask her about it.

Just don't get why people expect something different from PSP. Her work already screams "I'll stain the fuck of it your doll".
>>
NEW THREAD

>>6666586
>>6666586
>>6666586

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.