[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 79 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 737736491.jpg (61 KB, 480x454)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
What went wrong?

Star Wars was the reason Movies came out with Toy Lines...
>>
>>6899999
5 POA, massive lowering of quality especially since the price stayed the same as the older figures, and in the end the new movies ended up so bad that even if they were good most of the characters wouldnt sell. Also didnt help that lately they want to only make the main characters and not market to or cater to alien fags or market any other characters besides rey or kylo ren.
>>
>>6899999
>What went wrong?
>>
>>6899999
Movies aren't as toy centric. Making shit no one buys so there's no room for the shit people want to buy.
>>
>>6899999
>What went wrong?

People watched the prequels. Episode 1 put a huge dent into toy retailers. Hasbro has shitty product and does great for a year or two then goes back to shit. New movies are worse than the prequels and disney did all it could to send older fans away. Toys r us went i to bad debt over going all in for episode 1 and 2, then years later attempts to go all in with star wars again just to go further into debt.
>>
File: 1521624798644.jpg (899 KB, 768x1852)
899 KB
899 KB JPG
>>6899999

the force is female now
>>
Less hype among collectors.
Fewer kids buying toys.
>>
>>6900107

well that explains why they new movies vary between mediocre and bad
>>
>>6900107
Fuck off with this Gamergate bullshit already
>>
File: uwot.gif (1.52 MB, 293x163)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB GIF
>>6900201
>Star Wars: The Fan Wars
>Gamergate
>>
>>6900201
Fuck off with this feminist bullshit ruining the franchise kathleen
>>
>it's another "neckbeards get angry because they can't accept that they're the minority" thread
>>
>>6899999
>What went wrong?

Self-entitled manbabies don't accept that an all-ages movie franchise is going to cater to their every desire.
>>
>>6900215
But nobody is buying the "Diverse" toys.

How is Marvel comics doing lately in terms of comic sales?
>>
>>6900232
>But nobody is buying the "Diverse" toys.
Yeah, because they're overpriced, barely articulated pieces of shit.
>>
>>6900215
Feminists are the minority you stupid dyke, especially when it comes to star wars
>>
>>6900229
>>6900234
>>6900215
>durrr man babies durr
Is that why catering to princess brats made their toys stink up shelves? Face it, star wars is ours and you cant take it away you tumblr bitch
>>
>>6900249
lol
>>
>>6900253
Awww, poor Greg. Look how the strong, powerful hands of the black, lesbian transwoman pulls Star Wars from his soft, weak, Cheeto-crusted paws.

"REEEEEEEEE," he cries, "You stole muh vidya games and muh comicbooks and muh D&Ds already, you whores! Leave me muh Star Wars! REEEEEEEEE!"
>>
I think its a problem the lame battles and set pieces of the new movies that don't lead to cool situations kids want re-enact, or older collectors want to display. The Battle on Hoth had the battle between the AT-ATs and the A-Wings, Luke taking out a walker with his lightsaber, the boob turrets covering the transports and the Millenium Falcon's escape. The Battle on Crait had those two person speeders that got blown the fuck out in two seconds, Rose's infamous scene stealing a kiss from Finn, yet another Millenium Falcon running away from tie-fighters, and Luke and Kylo's non-battle. The point of 5poa is there relatively cheap nature and compatibility with vehicles. Any vehicle that may have gotten kids excited to maybe buy the cheaper 5poa toys were all blown up by Kylo Ren with his torpedo run on the Raddus.
>>
>>6900229
>When you are expected to enjoy a low effort film
What is wrong with you?
>>
>>6900346
It's pretty easy to enjoy or ignore the SW films if you stop putting all of your happiness in MUH NOSTALGIA.
>>
>>6900273
Thanks for proving how you have no argument you autistic mess
>>
>>6900338
There were no A-Wings in ESB.
>>
>>6900355
The new films aren't bad because they cater to nostalgia, one of the many reasons they're bad is because they cater too much to nostalgia, many sequences in TLJ and the whole plot of TFA are essentially someone going, "Remember the OT?"
>>
>>6900387
Huh, got them mixed up. Honest mistake.
>>
File: 1519956486267.jpg (64 KB, 600x450)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>6899999
One of my favorite conspiracy theories concerning TLJ is that Disney intentionally wanted to make a movie that would tank in toy sales badly -so that the mouse could later buy a failing Hasbro Inc. and Mattel Inc. should bankruptcy happen.

Lets face it, since TRU announced that they were filing for bankruptcy in Sept, Hasbro & Mattel were looking for other ways to market other toy lines like Barbie by nurturing relations with Amazon & Alibaba - any to try and survive this mess.
>>
>>6900215
>Market to neckbeards
>Sales are strong, packaged up shit will fly off the shelf if you market it to them
>Market to normies or a secondary market
>No one fucking touches it and the entire brand dies trying to capture their sales
Gee I wonder why neckbeards get so upset?
>>
>>6900455
Hasbro would be the better buy since they more or less own their movie rights. Mattel's big name brands are out of the public eye and even though they have the princess brand, they lack the Star Wars and Marvel brands.

Poor Paramount being cucked by Disney yet again if they were to buy Hasbro. Which I do think is a likely possibility.
>>
>>6900455
>>6900472
>purposefully ruining movies just to ruin more franchises rhey get their hands on
Fuck everything they say about dreams coning true, the mouse only kills dreams.
>>
>>6900475
at least Disney would know better than to waste money on Jem movies no one will watch. Seriously how few fans does that shit cartoon even have?
>>
>>6900475
I don't think they're purposefully ruining movies I just think Disney buying Hasbro is likely. It gives them more toy revenue as two of their three biggest brands are Hasbro toys and they also get established brands like Transformers, and Our Tiny Rainbow Horsey as well as potential brands like Jem, GI Joe, Visionaries and MASK that Hasbro can not figure out.
>>
>>6900455
I still have all those cups and toppers. They're awesome.
>>
>>6900481
>>6900494
Better have them waste more money on that then remove all swearing and violence from movies and make transformers into rescue bots but with grrlpower throughout the entire franchise. Because thats why will happen if disney buy hasbro.
>>
>>6899999
With the toys?

They went back to 5POA shit. Ok, yeah there is Black Series but distribution seems to be fucking awful.

The characters are all fucking boring looking. All of the male characters are guys in pants and an open Jacked, they also all seem to use the exact same open collar shirt. I get parts reuse but fucking come on. They are also all shades of brown. BLAND AND BORING. The ladies aren't much better. Somewhat in contrast, they keep releasing the same characters over and over. This has been a thing with the 4" figs for a while but it's in Black Series now and it's awful. There have been like 5 Kylos in the past two years. Who the fuck wants that?

Related, the vehicles have gotten bland. All of the new movie vehicles were obviously designed for toys first. They are basically stripped down versions of old designs, easier to fit in packaging for toys. Stubby TIE fighters, flat TIE fighters, AT-STs without tops, Star Destroyers without the bridge part. It's so god damn obvious it's not even funny. This way they can make a $15-$20 line of vehicles that are super basic and fit in a uniform package instead of having a TIE fighter with giant wings you have to assemble.
>>
>>6900273
Nice bait, transwomen are weak as shit from all the estrogen in their system. Take your “stunning and brave” crap back to buzzfeed, faggot
>>
>>6900273
Your butch tranny didn't steal anything he just set it all on fire.
>>
Because new movies are so awful that fans don't give a shit anymore

Also new toys suck ass
>>
>>6901306
damn someone could make a plush plantation with those leftovers
>>
>>6900215
The 'majority' aren't buying up toys though, which is kind of the point of this thread.
>>
>>6899999
NEW STAR WARS TOYS
>it's a lightsaber guy
>it's a stormtrooper
>it's a stormtrooper but different weapon
>this one's also a stormtrooper, but SHE is silver and wears a cape BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
>it's an alien, but it's really just some regular person that had no real role in the movie
>it's the lightsaber guy from last time, but w/ gimmick
>>
File: ROTS-figure_poste2r.jpg (1.88 MB, 3375x1800)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>6901353
>it's a lightsaber guy
>it's a stormtrooper
>it's a stormtrooper but different weapon
>this one's also a stormtrooper, but HE is red and wears a skirt BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
>it's an alien, but it's really just some regular person that had no real role in the movie
>it's the lightsaber guy from last time, but w/ gimmick
>>
>>6901386
but look how fucking varied the figures were for the line. Black series has what... 8 figures a movie? Maybe? and they all look like generic regular people in a bathrobe of some sort or a winter parka.

No Ploo Koon, No Ki Adi Mundi, No Grievous or body guards, no battle droids, no cool random background droids.

Every figure to come out in the past 4 or 5 years looks like a version of Bail Organa, Captain Antilles, Mon Mothma, or Chancellor Palpatine. What the fuck kid want's to play with generic space politician #4? Even the main line characters like Kylo Ren, Ren, Finn, etc have shitty costume designs that don't lend to kids wanting to play with them. The Jedi that had shitty designs for the older toy lines were given gimmicks to make up for it which made them sell as well.

What Sells:
>Good Design or a fun looking character
>Shitty drab design with a fun gimmick (mace windu's auto swinging fightin arms with kungfu grip)

What won't sell:
>Man with moustache in green coat
>Man with beard in grey cloak
>Woman with bun and tan wrappings
>Autistic black c3p0
>Rebel in disguise as a boring officer instead of an undercover storm trooper with a helmet gimmick

The older toys are more fun because they characters you didn't like had gimmicks, and the characters that no one knew looked bad ass and had toys made.

If the OG series came out today NONE of the cantina characters would have ever had toys, which I know were mostly my favs growing up. You'd have luke, han, mayyyybe leia, storm troopers, vader, chewie, maybe tarkin and an officer. Just a bunch of dudes in normal clothes, a hairy man, and vader which everyone would buy because he'd be the one shortpacked.
>>
>>6901386
I remember seeing padme and bein all "why is her action figure so fat??"
>>
File: 473699.png (15 KB, 644x800)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>6900201
>>
>>6900059
LOL how mistaken you are. Prequel toys (3.75" clones, jedi, battlepacks, space ships, eu comic packs etc you name it are what people generally regard as the golden years of star wars collecting. The best OT and misc EU merch came during that time as well. Fuck off poser.
>>
>>6901353
>this one's also a stormtrooper, but SHE is silver and wears a cape BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
Christ the Phasma threads we had here right after the movie dropped were fantastic. A bunch of soldiers had spent so much money on the BS and Figuarts of Phasma, and in the end they were all violently dropped in the trash where she belongs.
>>
>>6901386

It's because Lucas knew the money in Star Wars was in the design and concepts. That's why the prequels, while lacking in it's writing and dialogue offer an even more expansive and imaginative galaxy than the OT.
>>
File: 1446236513369.jpg (42 KB, 363x525)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>6899999
>Those quints
>>
>>6899999
WAR
HUH
YEAH
GOOD GOD Y'ALL
WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?
>>
>>6900107
Your prom night rejection was years ago, get over it already
>>
>>6901484
>Prequel toys (3.75" clones, jedi, battlepacks, space ships, eu comic packs etc you name it are what people generally regard as the golden years of star wars collecting

Episode 3 and clone wars maybe. Episode 1 and 2 were terrible sellers.
>>
Literally nothing went wrong. you people grew up, it's as simple as that.

Maybe rip of those nostalgia goggles you have welded to your face and you can see how nothing has changed.
>>
Nothing went wrong, times change. That's all.

Little kids don't give a shit about articulation and background characters. Watch a little kid play - they like lights and sounds and something of the hero and maybe a bad guy. They'll play for hours with something with zero articulation.

Once they're 7, 8 or so, they give up on toys for the most part. Kids like video games ( and video game stuff). Most 10 years old don't want Star Wars toys, they want to play Fortnight.

You wouldn't be hearing much about people bitching about Star Wars if it weren't for the bullhorn that the Internet has become. it's a small section of adult fans complaining that this isn't the Star Wars of their childhood.

Meanwhile, Star Wars movies continue to make billions, Star Wars merch sells, most people are happy to go see a new movie every year, collectors will buy stuff, and nerds will whine because that's what nerds do about everything.
>>
>>6901630
Why do people act like video games have only existed for like, 10 years or so?

All of the supposedly obsessed with nostalgia for toys, also played video games. You know, Video games were actually a thing in the 80s and 90s, and even the 70s. Kids spent shitloads of time playing video games back then, and even spent a shitload of time in arcades and stuff. They still played with toys.
>>
>>6901401
>>6901386
Why doesn't modern Star Wars have aliens?
>>
>>6900355
it's only easy to enjoy if yyou ignore all the plotholes, and shitty characterization. If you liked it and thought it was good you were contrarian and wrong to do so.
>>
>>6901632
Because in the last 10-15 years, video games and online activities have become the primary source of entertainment for kids, replacing toys, TV, etc. That's why toy sales have declined, that's why there's no more Saturday morning cartoons. Sure, video games existed prior to then, but they were never as big or prevalent as they are now.
>>
>>6901659
Right, because plot holes and basic characterization aren't totally endemic to ALL star Wars films.
>>
>>6900004
>in the end the new movies ended up so bad that even if they were good most of the characters wouldnt sell.
>new movies ended up so bad

depends on who you ask, movie wise they were very successful. But franchise wise? I don't think they did as well, shame the other industries isn't as open as the movie industry on their success or lack there of.

Hollywood gets s blinded by how amazing the movies are doing, they think their new direction is the best thing for the IPs ever. But they fail to understand the billions willing to pay to see a movie one time, may not want to buy even one figure, let alone dozens, unlike the fans of the series who been keeping the IP afloat with merchandise sales all those years. Meanwhile anytime one of those fans willing to put in thousands of dollars to franchise mentions how much they dislike the new direction 'Oh you one of THOSE nerds. A sad pathetic fanboy who has no life outside of collecting memorabilia! who cares what you think.'

Kind of ironic that they shun the ones willing to put out the money.
>>
>>6901543
is this how females attempt to burn males?
>>
>there are legit gamer-gaters ITT

Really pathetic, desu.
>>
>>6900254
The well-thought out and carefully constructed rebuttal of a gender studies major.
>>
>>6901694
I know, right? We weren't rejected for prom, because we never bother asking anyone to prom. We spent that night in the splendor of our rooms, reveling in the once great empire of perfection that Star Wars was, now brought low by diversity, SJWs, women and bad, bad toys.
>>
>>6900253
>star wars is ours and you cant take it away
Than how come it's so bad?
>>
>>6901696
this is top-tier bait
>>
>>6901699
>Falseflagging this hard
He actually has a point, it's on the same exact level as saying "I bet you're fun at parties".
Insulting people instead of making an actual point is just rude and doesn't win any arguments.
>>
>>6899999
Wow, what a wasted get.
>>
>>6901696
If you earnestly believe that modern Disney and nu star wars isn't a large part of the problem, then you're just plain delusional.
>>
>>6900201
>Fuck off with this Gamergate bullshit already
>Negative comments are Gamergate
>Anything I don't like is Gamergate

Obvious much?
>>6900229
>Self-entitled manbabies don't accept that an all-ages movie franchise is going to cater to their every desire.

Now, see here: if the "self-entitled manbabies" are a problem, then why isn't Star Wars gaining popularity with the wamens instead? Its because the wamens also think it sucks, stupid.
>>
>>6901717
>Now, see here: if the "self-entitled manbabies" are a problem, then why isn't Star Wars gaining popularity with the wamens instead? Its because the wamens also think it sucks, stupid.

The Last Jedi made more than $1 billion. People still seem to like Star Wars just fine. It's only the sad boys of the Internet who are howling about it.
>>
>>6901706
I'm not making an argument, I'm making fun of you. I think you're sad and stupid and the fact that Star Wars gets you so upset is silly.
>>
>>6901503
ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN'
>>
>>6900201
>>6901696
>gamergate
>bad
really makes u think
>>
>>6901729
>I'm making fun of you
Except that wasn't my post, anon.
You're acting like a child.
>>
>>6901725
The movie was guaranteed to make money, everyone had to go see it but afterwards it’s had no impact. No one liked it, it killed what meager interest there was it the story or characters. Disney alienated the existing fans and failed to attract the new fans it wanted.
That’s why the toys and merchandise aren’t selling and that’ll spell the end of the franchise.
>>
There is one OT character (the fairly boring Hoth Rebel Trooper) in the first wave of the VC and half of the Solo wave are OT. I predict those will sell out first while the SJWars figures pegwarm.
>>
>>6901781
I'm glad t/b/h. Star Wars was a really shitty IP once you think about it.
>>
>>6901781
I was never a huge SW fan, but it’s sad that it’s dying this way. It was a fun time in the EU days but now I fear that Disney bit off more than they could chew and are going to be left with a sucked-orange that won’t yield any further juice with the fan base of old leaving it and the new fans too few. But the really sad thing will be that what was once a pop culture icon that was referenced and parodied for decades will be no more than a cult-following of the pre-Disney content and (assuming Disney continued to try and bleed it after the collapse) hollow moviesthat continue to be even worse than the originals and prequels.
>>
>What went wrong?
ep 6 came out and everyone lost interest
ep 5 was already pretty shit besides Hoth
>>
>>6901700
Because kathleen fucked it over
>>
>>6901802
>AND HERE'S WHY THAT'S A GOOD THING!
>T-THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!
>T-THE F-FORCE IS FEMALE! BEAT IT NERDS!
>WHY ARE THERE STILL SO MANY UNSOLD COPIES OF THE LAST JEDI ON THE SHELVES?!
>>
File: arcade in the 90s.jpg (1.36 MB, 1473x1011)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>6901675
>Because in the last 10-15 years, video games and online activities have become the primary source of entertainment for kids, replacing toys, TV, etc.
LOL
Fucking Generation Y and their ignorance. Go back to your circlejerk facebook forum where you block out all outside interference and why you guys get so triggered by stupid shit outside of your collective asshole.

Adults have been saying this shit since the 80s and by the 90s, i actually believed it, because of how every kid in school was talking about video games. In reality, video games were huge since the 80s, but at least arcades were a way to socialize outside the house.
Kids and video games couldn't have gotten any bigger, hence almost all growth since the 90s being my generation continuing to video game into their 20s, 30s, and 40s. Also, Wii for older folk.
>>
>>6901860
>wii for older folk

you got me.
>>
star wars shouldnt even be a thing anymore jesus fuck
>>
File: 1522959873310.jpg (132 KB, 1024x789)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>6900215
the good news is all these "neckbeards" are dropping toys and movies and getting politically active now, so there's that.
>>
File: 1515770401680.jpg (439 KB, 970x545)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
>>6901635
>>
>>6901677
Actually there are, in the ot there's not many plot holes you could point out, less so ones that completely negate the latter half of the movie. So you're full of shit.

Secondly you can list out character traits for most of the ot cast, you can barely do that for any of the nuwars cast, so again, you're full of shit.
>>
>>6901675
>Because in the last 10-15 years, video games and online activities have become the primary source of entertainment for kids
They always have been ever since the 80s. They're jsut everywhere now.
>replacing toys, TV, etc That's why toy sales have declined, that's why there's no more Saturday morning cartoons

Toys are dying out because toys are overly expensive for what's essentially dogshit. I garuntee you if you stacked a bunch of marvel selects on store shelves and dc collectibles toys, kids would start buying them more.
As for tv dying that's a result of tv always being shitty and commercial filled so kids have shifted their television experience to online venues, torrents, streams, and interactive twitch channels. They're still interested in the same thing, the medium through which they enjoyed it is dying out. Most of this is due to companies cheaping out and having no faith in new ips or trying anythign out of the norm, so you get the same safe broing regurgitated crap, so everybody is moving on, not just kids.
>Sure, video games existed prior to then, but they were never as big or prevalent as they are now.

They were every bit as prevalent as they are now, Arcades turned to home systems and handhelds, that's it. They were just as big as they are now, consoles and games still sold in the millions.
>>
>>6901675
No, idiot its because the movies suck, toys still sell
>>
>>6901891
Why did none of these get any screen time like the cantina or get any figures? I totally wouldve bought nose rings and four eyes their.
>>
>>6901922
it's an obvious sabotage like he said>>6900455

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hNAji3lIGE
>>
>>6901931
Doubtful, they wouldnt waste so much money and risk so much bad press and image to buy one company
>>
File: youtube personality.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>6901920
>As for tv dying that's a result of tv always being shitty and commercial filled so kids have shifted their television experience to online venues, torrents, streams, and interactive twitch channels. They're still interested in the same thing, the medium through which they enjoyed it is dying out. Most of this is due to companies cheaping out and having no faith in new ips or trying anythign out of the norm, so you get the same safe broing regurgitated crap, so everybody is moving on, not just kids.
TV dying is a pretty big hit, i think.
Kids would rather watch idiots on youtube try to be popular and it works.
Just look at /toy/ obsess over nobodies who review toys.

So instead of kids watching cartoons, which can make kids buy toys and other licensed shit, they're watching complete nobodies shill tide pods and cinnamon challenges.
What can you license off of that shit? Even a toy of the youtube personality is boring as fuck and kids know this.

My nieces and nephews know all about 80s and 90s cartoons because of these personalities talking about how kewl that shit was, yet she has watched maybe 1% of what those youtube personalities are blubbering about.
>>
>>6901946
>TV dying is a pretty big hit, i think.
>Kids would rather watch idiots on youtube try to be popular and it works.
yeah, but mostly they stil watch other things like anime or cartoons, a lot of good ones are available for free via streaming websites and youtube. Why would you watch cartoons on a network anymore when all they play is ttg 24/7 and the one show you like once or twice a week.

The onliine people are a bit differn't because it's effecitvely interactive entertainment, sorta like the family from farenheight 451. Twitch streams and battlee royale games are a big player in that bit.

But again, most of the reason why tv is dying is due to the greed it held for it's tenure. HBO was sold as "advertisment free tv" and it was for a time, then eventually shit just crept in and now we've got what we have now for advertisments.

This is why the cab;le industry is lobbying so hard to get a strangle hold on internet so they can infect it with the same bullshit they did with their own dying industry.
>What can you license off of that shit? Even a toy of the youtube personality is boring as fuck and kids know this.
it's pretty simple, you make toys fo the games they play. They got on way too late with roblox and minecraft for it to matrter, but the idea is sound. But then the effects of that are even more prevalent now when you see how sought after toys of game characters are normally.

Fortnite for example would probably sell really well as toys considering the ease of part swap use, accessories, and designs. Most liekly though we won't get a single lick of merch for that game series until it's popularity has long since subsided.

Overwatch got the merchandising right, their only flaw was picking a studio that was quality but produced goods slowly.
>>
>>6901931
Hasbro made bank on TFA. TLJ was still profitable too with 7 million in toy profits. What's happening here is oversaturation where they made way more than demand, this dosn't hurt their bottom line as much as the nutter whats to think, ultimately Hasbro has stayed strong in sales and profits compared to say Mattel.

Also another major flaw is monopoly law stops them from buying Hasbro(atm at least) and ultimately they gain noting owning them since the deal with Star Wars is a direct transaction based where Disney gets full profits but pays full production and distribution. It's why Hasbro has never taken a hard hit since the Disney buyout and the agreement changed, that said it's also why production has been awful, Disney not Hasbro is deciding what gets made and Hasbro has little issue to care since they are paid no matter what. Random note this is why Jurassic brand bailed on Hasbro was it made the same deal but didn't make mad money and when they went back to rework the agreement Hasbro had no interest changing what was already a sweet deal so they went to Mattel which agreed to the traditional 30% royalties on the merc.
>>
File: ronnie exciting.jpg (127 KB, 881x269)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>6901955
>But again, most of the reason why tv is dying is due to the greed it held for it's tenure.
meh, TV commercials have always been the bread and butter for all shit on tV since forever.

Kids today have too many outlets to watch, whereas earlier generations had only TV with rabbit ears or cable. Rabbit ears had cartoon blocks in the mornings and afternoons to sell you toys n shit.
Cable had a mass of content all day long, but there was a lot of dreck. So kids like myself balanced the bad with the good by switching between local stations and cable.
When we grew bored of TV or there was nothing but dreck on either forms, we played video games or went outside.

Kids today never have to leave their rooms to find exactly what will entertain them 24/7 thanks to the internet.
And a lot of what they watch is just youtubers regurgitating what they themselves watched or did. It's worse than watching reality shows about celebrities doing things you wish you could be doing and even doing the most mundane shit ever.
So even nerds now have their celebrity to adore and fawn over doing mundane shit they'd like to be doing, but won't because they're too busy getting fat watching and not doing... or watching someone watch something to talk about it.

bleh.

Anyway, it's a lot of shit that doesn't sell actual products and gets kids to not actually do anything.
IT's anti-consumerism in the worst way.
>>
File: Trans13[2].gif (507 KB, 324x216)
507 KB
507 KB GIF
>>6900107
goodbye star wars i loved you but im stickin with transformers
>>
File: 368[2].jpg (9 KB, 250x192)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>6900107
>tfw feminism killed star wars
>>
File: tenor[3].gif (424 KB, 384x288)
424 KB
424 KB GIF
>>6900215
when you SCREW OVER the original fan-base in anything its destined to fail and thats what star wars did. you dont do that to fans who spent their hard earned money and respect on the franchise its despicable and the feminists will get whats coming to them one day when that day comes I WILL LAUGH IN VICTORY
>>
>>6901693
No, I shun the ones financing the bad aspects of star wars and blindly eat the shit disney spoon feeds them
>>
>>6900338
>The Battle on Hoth had the battle between the AT-ATs and the A-Wings
They were snowspeeders, you dumb shit
>>
>>6901635
Everyone is aliens. Even the humans are not actual people, just ancient aliens that look like them.
>>
>>6901860
The people in your photo look a lot older than target audience for toys.
>>
>>6902524
such is life outside of your mother's boyfriend's basement.

still, arcades were packed with gross kids back in the day. so many kids standing at the edge of the screens who didn't want to waste their 4 quarters that their moms gave them while she went to buy leggings for the next hour.
>>
>>6900215
But we're the real Star Wars fans. We're why Star Wars continued.
>>
>>6901891
I wish we had more female ayy lmaos action figures...
>>
>>6899999
Star Wars toys sold well because people wanted to be the characters, who were straight out of mythology like Greek heroes thanks to Lucas binging on a book that analyzes folklore while writing it, and fucking awesome new concepts for sci fi shit.

New movies have mildly interesting characters in a story where the fucking moral is literally “heroes suck” and they get no good action scenes kids would want to emulate with toys. The ships themselves are almost the exact same thing from the other movies basically, without enough change to make kids or adults lust for it.

Not to mention the betrayal of the first new movie where most of the early released figures either had no lines or were entirely cut from the movie.
>>
>>6902764
>Not to mention the betrayal of the first new movie where most of the early released figures either had no lines or were entirely cut from the movie.
All of those aliens sold better then paige or any other “important” character
>>
File: file.png (977 KB, 623x1000)
977 KB
977 KB PNG
If you want to stick to just Episode 1, I think Hasbro's biggest mistake was Comm Tech chips for the US market instead of packing everybody with a Battle Droid like the Euros got.
>>
I think besides the current situation with didney wars, hasbro has continuuously fucked itself over by over-producing the first wave of every line the make. If that wasn't enough, they also repack pegwarmers, or their case ratio is just plain dumb. I've been collecting Star Wars 3.75 (seriously) since 2007 and nothing really has changed besides less EU characters and a drop in articulation.
>>
>>6900505
I only have one, Darth Maul. There's got to be a way to turn it into a lamp!
>>
>>6900004
Honestly we can't blame the movies. The prequals all sucked and the toys still sold super well.
>>
File: The Bumblebee Problem.jpg (517 KB, 1920x1440)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
>>6899999
I'm going to ignore all the whining about the sequels themselves and feminism and so on and tell you all what actually happened: Oversaturation. Disney cranked out three movies in rapid succession and burnt out the market. In just three years they managed to do to Star Wars what took ten years to happen to Bayformers. The hype is gone, the craving is satisfied, and they haven't given enough time for a new audience of kids to grow into the brand and buy the same characters the previous audience bought. The latter leads right into The Bumblebee Problem, ie: "I'm not buying that, you already have a(n) [character name]."

tl;dr: Disney could've taken it steady and milked the franchise for years but instead they dehydrated the cow.
>>
File: file.png (592 KB, 500x673)
592 KB
592 KB PNG
>>6902538
>>6901860
Getting off topic, but since we are posting pictures of arcades...
>>
>>6902856
That's odd, bong here and I remember getting Comm Tech figures from bargin bin shops and UK based e-bay sellers in the early 2000s.
>>
File: file.png (1.36 MB, 1200x800)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>6903735
i think it was mostly a continental thing. Comm Tech in American English or Queen's English, OK, fine, but making them for Poles, Spaniards, Krauts, etc would be more trouble than it was worth.
>>6903728
And things everybody would buy aren't going to get toys. "You want this car? Too bad, you'll get one step changer Bumblebees and LIKE IT."
>>
>>6903739
>a continental thing.
Good point, anon. Polish Padmé would've been some interesting shit though.
>>
File: 1458928602509.jpg (1.5 MB, 4601x2365)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>6900107
>women and minorities are ruining my movies!
I know we're all manchildren here on /toy/ but you are one of the manchildest.
>>
File: 1512844453414.gif (105 KB, 800x371)
105 KB
105 KB GIF
>>6900201
>>
File: guavian enforcer.jpg (33 KB, 400x300)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>6903728
NAh, Disney didn't oversaturate the market.
They just plain did not make any characters or the movie interesting enough for kids to buy toys of.

Since day one they had a problem of selling toys, hence shelfwarmers like Zuvio staying on the shelves years later.
They tried really really hard to make cool designs, but even those the movie failed into making a cool character. Figures like this would have sold solidly because they are a good design, but they were a joke in the movie. They were from a sequence that no one really brings up and were just nothing but comedy monster fodder to be eaten. People don't even buy them as army builders, as these were also big time shelf warmers like Zuvio.
Compare them to Boba Fett, who also had a great design, but Boba Fett was a character who was able to track down the MF while Darth Vader and the rest of the Empire failed.

They utterly fail when it comes to producing compelling characters, if failing at making compelling designs for characters like Finn and other HAn Solo-esque clothed generic designed.
>>
>>6901353
That gif... d-did I just develop some weird new fetish? Yes, yes I did.
>>
>>6903955
To be fair Fett didn't do much in the films, had a very stupid death and showed up first in a very bad holyday special cartoon and still was a very sought after figure even before that.
>>
>>6905241
Vintage Fett was my favorite figure as a kid. I inherited it along with a bunch of other Star Wars, MotU, etc. from an older cousin. I didn’t know who he was exactly but he just looked cool.
>>
>>6903707
yes, yes we can think about why and you will see it too

you just can't put on the same level the prequels and the... abortions we have now
>>
>>6901386
OOH an alien!
>lightsaber guy
OOH another alien!
>its alien ability is a gun
OOH a stormtrooper!
>recolor recolor recolor recolor recolor
>>
>>6905241
>>6905251

Shows what a neat design and a little backstory can do to a toy.
>>
>>6905241
he did something in esb, he died like a punk in rotj but he was still more than joke fodder, and was more capable than Phasma.
>>
>>6900229
Woman dont buy Star Wars merch besides cutesy plushes numbnuts.
>>
File: 8_O_CLOCKMEALTIME.webm (1.94 MB, 720x1280)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB WEBM
>>6900456
6 inch Black Series Jedi Order when?

brb Solo Black Series.
>>
>>6901386
The original post you're being critical of is off a bit. Look at your pic. The Last Jedi equivalent of the line is ONLY coming out with the following figures:

Then add in 3 troopers randomly and a chewie.
What do all of these numbered figures have in common? It works in this massive line FULL of warring robots, sith lords, and alien Jedi to include some varied figures of background nature. It doesn't work when the more stoic human characters are your entire line.
>>
>>6903707

wrong. The prequels were bad but they didn't shit on the OT characters. Obi-Wan, Yoda, etc. The execution might have been bad in the movies, but there wasn't an overt agenda to "destroy the past" (literally!) so the new characters could be in the forefornt. The new movies have weak, boring characters that nobody sees in themselves, and hence have no love for.

The latest movies are objectively worse than the prequels, as amazing as that sounds. And it shows because nobody cares two shits about the toy lines, except for the most dedicated fanboy who is blind to any criticism about star wars and would buy an actual turd if there were a Star Wars wrapper on it calling it poodoo. But people with that poor of a judgement gene are really outliers. The market has spoken, new Star Wars under Disnery is trash and the toys are trash. Period.
>>
>>6906151
I find nothing redeemable with the prequels. They are shit movies. And they made Anakin Skywalker look like a stupid bitch.

Far worse to make Darth Vader look stupid then anything episode 7 or 8 did.

The main issue with 7 and 8 is that they don't feel like they lead to anything but to kill off old characters.

The toys also suck and they make way to many of the star wars black series figures.
>>
>>6905739
lol holy shit what's the context
>>
>>6902777
>all of those aliens sold better
>Zuvio
There are stores in my city that haven't reset because this fucker still clogs the shelves.
>>
>>6906435
Even if the execution was terrible, I really like that they settled that feeling of Darth Vader being a well-meaning and tragic character in me.
Now I can't watch the OT without siding with Vader because I know he is only trying to help.
>>
>>6901487
Not gonna lie i might buy one of those phasma figures that are actually chrome (the black series one thats grey looks trash)

Pose her in a diorama where Ventress is teaching her how to be a Female Villain

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.