[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: action_figure_apu.png (16 KB, 923x713)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
Why do you collect toys, /toy/?

I think they look cool and they make me happy! What about you, frens?
>>
>>6989085
That sums it up for me.
>>
I honestly don't know anymore. Probably as an attempt to fill some sort of hole in my life.
>>
>>6989085
I think they make me feel less lonely.
>>
File: oh-goody-thread.jpg (120 KB, 575x350)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
The same reasons we gave in the last thread which just dropped off the board a couple of days ago.
Christ what is it with you people? Are you THIS desperate for reassurance that you have to ask this nearly every week?
>>
>>6989085
No, yeah, you got it.

They remind me of things, like shows and movies, I like. A physical piece of my favorite fictions.
>>
>>6989085
I always enjoyed playing with action figures as a child. I had many batman toys. In my teenage years, I would pickup the occassionally McFarlane Spawn of NECA toy. They usually sat on my computer desk reminding me of my favorite franchises.

Then a few years ago I stumbled upon toy. I was impressed by how sophisticated action figures "for adult collectors" had become. I started watching YouTube reviews of hot toys, revoltech, Figma, Figuarts, etc.

Had some disposable income so I eventually collected the robot spirits Eva line. Thus the downward spiral started. I have spent about $5k over the past several years. I enjoy displaying my collection and how it reminds me of my favorite franchises. It's really the memories that make me happy and the toys help me remember.

Sometimes it does feel childish and wasteful. The pleasure can be fleeting. I try to sell the items I lose interest in and keep my collection manageable.
>>
>>6989085
>Main Adventure
The Kids Next Door recently discovered an island city inhabited by Inkling Kids, which was being invaded by Bowser Jr and Lemmy. After a tough battle, the KND are knocked down. In an act of self-defense, the Inklings assume a human form and adapt their weapon handling thus defeating Bowser Jr. After that, the KND commissions Inkling boy and girl into their ranks and everyone goes back to base. They then discover that the treehouse has been taken over by a fat, racoon-masked kid and his super friends.

>Side story
Sora is an ordinary delivery boy who dreams to travel the world, and is saving munny to make that happen. However, he recently starts having lucid dreams about assembling a group of previously disbanded heroes, and saving the world with them. He later wakes up in a shadowy world fighting shadow monsters to save the soul of Stitch, who is one of the fallen heroes. With Sora's destiny realized, he is then transported to Sheriff Woody's old western town to find it overrun by one of Dr. Eggman's robots
>>
>>6989085
I can't get a gf because ugly and fat but I have an harem of anime girls sexual slaves that swim in my cum every day.
>>
>>6989085
I'm curious on if people play with their toys and how they play with them and also interesting scenarios/stories/autism.
>>
>>6989085
Same as you said, but I like posing and photographing them. as well

Plus I don't have many other hobbies that keep me as consistently interested
>>
>>6989085
It just makes me really happy as an adult to see something that I like and to be able to just buy it and enjoy it. Couldn't do that as a kid. I wouldn't consider myself a collector because I don't have that many, but it's nice to own things that are purely for fun.

A lot of the toys that I've collected have sentimental attachments, too. When I graduated college this past spring, I was given an archaeologist barbie, which is what my degree is. She's really special to me, especially because she's from someone I love.
>>
>>6989222
this
>>
I loved toys as a kid. lost that fascination to drugs in my teens till my mid 30s then became interested in toys all over again. Now the money I would have spent on a drug addiction, that would have killed me like it did so many of my friends, is spent on toys.
So I just traded addictions.
Traded up in my opinion.
>>
>>6989085
same desu
>>
File: IMG_2631.jpg (13 KB, 204x190)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
I like to have accurate physical representations of characters I like and they all look nice on display too
>>
I don't buy many toys anymore because I used to have way too many. That said, I buy them to have decorations that remind me of things I like. I've also started only buying toys when I go shopping with my husband, so each one I get now is a souvenir of a trip we took together. That makes them feel more special to me.
>>
File: hammer.jpg (90 KB, 957x621)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>6989105
pleas donut be rude!
>>
>>6989872
You wanna be my toy cutie haha
>>
Because it’s a good way to pick up bitches
>>
>>6989085
This, pretty much.
>>
>>6989085
I mostly play with them. Anything from mindlessly fiddling around with their articulation to full blown turboautist woosh-woosh pewpew crap.
>>
I just enjoy fiddling and posing with characters from shows/franchises I like.
>>
File: 83830275.jpg (42 KB, 500x492)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Pre-ordering figures gives me something to look forward to.
>>
other than thinking they look cool... I was pretty poor as a kid and couldn't afford shit, now that I can, I sorta feel like doing it too.
>>
Toys are for children.
>>
File: utt7v78vf.png (547 KB, 722x490)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
>>6990650
MOOOOOOOM ANON IS BEING MEAN AGAIN
>>
>>6990658
Consider the following
>>
>>6989551
Too bad these figures look completely fucked up (especially 2's legs) and they're probably expensive by now.
Because I really liked watching KND as a kid, but I could never find any merchandise.
>>
>>6990650
Holy fuck...hes right
>>
File: sad kitten.jpg (72 KB, 775x588)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>6989085
Honestly, because its nice to come home and be surrounded by things you enjoy. I gotten put down a bit because I collect all assortment of things from statues, figures, plush stuff etc but it's nice to just do you.
Plus it gives the room +10 Comfy
>>
>>6990650
>I willingly went out in public dressed like a complete retard
>But it was the "libtards" who were BTFO
Yeah keep telling yourself that, pal
>>
>>6989085
I love miniatures ig
>>
Grew up poor with no toys. I love the power of making enough money to buy useless stuff like them now on occasion.
>>
>>6990848
B-but shadiflay praise kok...
>>
>>6989085
I never got many toys as a child, but I ended up getting a somewhat childish personality (not in a bratty way, just liking more innocent stuff, I guess) as an adult, so when I see toys of my favorite animes or shows, I like to get them as a reminder or marker of the franchise. I particularly like JJBA, so I'm planning to get a lot. I wanted Jonathan (he's my favorite, IMO) for my birthday yesterday, but I can't afford him.
>>
I just like lego style building blocks. I'm too lazy to do scale models so bricks are the next closest thing to me. The idea of using the pieces of a bus to make a train for example just appeals so much to me. It only gets better when you consider all of this as a part of making accessories and vehicles for block figures.
>>
>>6989085
I was abused and never really had a childhood, I try to “play” occasionally (pretty much moving stuff around) until I breakdown and start sobbing. Then I’ll either be completely drained and lay on my bed staring at the wall for hours on end or I’ll have a fit of rage and end up breaking stuff. I don’t get much sleep or eat as often as I should either. It’s just hard sometimes...
>>
>>6989381
>Sometimes it does feel childish and wasteful. The pleasure can be fleeting. I try to sell the items I lose interest in and keep my collection manageable.

This.

And: toys as tools to exercise my imagination. I also like their design (I only collect mecha).
>>
>>6989085
No lie, just reading OP’s post makes me happy.
>>
bump
>>
>>6993414
Reading both your posts makes me cringe then feel sad for both of you losers.
>>
>>6990594
dang
>>
>>6993414
apu makes people happy
>>
File: inuyashiki-jak.jpg (162 KB, 975x971)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>6990594
This. Except the excitement wore off long ago. I'm convinced I started collecting figures just for the rush of unboxing a new one.
>>
I’m just re-acquiring all the toys i cherished as a wee lad, but was too stupid/ignorant to keep/hold on to.

And toys my mom couldn’t afford for me, or that weren’t available at my local stores in the 80’s. :(
>>
>>6989085

I'm extremely depressed so I collect toys that are nostalgic to me because they remind me of a time when I felt happy.
>>
>>6989085
The question is, why do they make you happy?
>>
>>6997683
Just wait till you don't even unbox them and they just pile up.
>>
>>6989091
It's nice to find someone to relate to at the very least.,,
>>
>>6990594
based
>>
File: ert4w5vdfg.gif (816 KB, 528x555)
816 KB
816 KB GIF
>>6998854
cuz they look cool
>>
>>6998854
Because collecting toys is like getting to curate my own miniature museum filled with objects from my favorite film/tv/game franchises.
>>
>>6998859
>tfw unboxing them is just as much of a hassle because you can't bring yourself to throw away any boxes for some reason
I'm talking retail Hasbro shit btw.
>>
This >>6998896

And because it makes me the cool older brother, letting my siblings play with them whenever they visit. It's not like Walmart often carries giant robots that combine anymore, so blowing their minds with shit like "Ha-Oh Shuriken Gattai Ha-Oh Shurikenjin" is always fun.
>>
File: 9429626970_4026330cda.jpg (24 KB, 333x500)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>6989085
I grew up as a poorfag in Europe, and any moderately good looking toy/figure/plastic thing (i.e.McFarlane) was a lot more expensive here.
I had to settle for Mexican/Chinese bootleg-tier shit. Which, if that's your thing, that's fine as well.

I started collecting the minute I had disposable income.
Unlike most, I go for detail first and articulation second. Statues and physical art pieces have always been my favorite type of art, so nowadays I collect actual art as well.

There's something very alluring about a tangible piece of artwork, like a sculpture, at least for me.

Since I also happen to be a nerd, I get joy when these things remind me of my favorite franchises.

Having studied design at uni, and having an eye for these things, I can tell you that even a single picture in a frame makes a huge difference in a room. So imagine what a nice looking figure can do. Just don't overdo it and hoard shit, because it's got the opposite effect.
>>
>>6998901
Same here. On the bright side, whenever I need to sell anything I've got an easy way to package it.
I've also seen some people display the figures in front of the packaging, and it doesn't look too bad.
>>
File: large.jpg (45 KB, 500x300)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>6989982
That's a pretty decent trade broski.
>>
>>6989982
Same here anon. 8 years clean. Decent car. No longer homeless. Ever growing amount of action figures
>>
I live 6000km from my friends, family and fiance to make money to take care of them later in life. I am lonely and depressed.

Gunpla is a forum of meditation to me, and watching reviews, snapping them and painting them helps the days pass.

Also, I deeply appreciate the engineering of the articulations. And they look cool.
So basically therapy.
>>
There's something nice about having a physical representation of something you enjoy from some other form of media. Also there's something nice about completing a set or the rush of finding something rare.
>>
the little spark of joy I get when I look at any of my toys serves as a constant reminder that there are things in life worth living for
the best way to fight depression is to find things you appreciate and fill your life with them
>>
>>7001369
>>6989982
you two should augment your action figures with model building, make them diaoramas to be displayed in, like train sets.
>>
>>6989222
EXACTLY ?
Could not have said it better.
>>
I used to collect lego and amiibo to try and fill the void.

I spent about $3,000 on Lego before I realized enough was enough. Now I have a bunch of sets that I want to get rid of since I'll be moving in the near future.

Tho the best thing of having all these toys as a grown man is that when some family would visit the kids were never bored at my place since they had both lego for girls and boys to play with plus my video games.

And that's honestly the most important part for me is that all the toys and video games I buy actually get some use and when they get some use it let's my family members spend time together instead of being on their phones or watching TV.
>>
File: Df7Ap1uU8AAA8U0.jpg (381 KB, 2048x1536)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
I've always been into toys, but in the last year I've been going on a toy-buying binge to cope with some aches and pains from getting older, I guess. (That I came into some money that made it easy to afford the toys I bought made it a pretty easy midlife indulgence to splurge on, fortunately.)
>>
File: Rgx1GE.gif (1.42 MB, 640x360)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB GIF
>>7007224
>that shelf
>>
I love physical recreations of media. The more accurate the better. I don't think there's any void I'm filling, I just like collecting figures of characters I like. Wish I could find something productive to do with them though.
>>
>>6989085
Not much of a collector, never been.
The reason I enjoy small plastic versions of my favorite characters that can move 'n shit. Kinda obvious by this point.
However I can tell this is an ongoing type of thread here, so when I've moved to my own house and can afford shit all by my self, I'll get back to ya.
>>
File: DSCN4187.jpg (455 KB, 2048x1536)
455 KB
455 KB JPG
Because I am able to express my creativity to other people. I collect legos and edit it.
>>
>>6989085
Because they look good and for posing.
>>
>>6989085
I think humans like collecting because we evolved to be hunters and gatherers.
>>
>>7007224
That's nice. I was in an accident a few years back when I was 18 and I used a good part of that money to buy more expensive figures from Star Wars and catch up on Joes. I have almost every major EU figure released by hasbro.
>>
File: lepe.png (579 KB, 940x1110)
579 KB
579 KB PNG
>>
File: v6rbhgv.jpg (87 KB, 882x640)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
nice this thread is still going. t b h this thread was all a ploy to circulate my OC
>>
>>6989085
You know when people write OC self-insert fanfiction? It's like that but with toys instead of words as my medium.
>>
>>6989085
did you make this frog image yourself :)
>>
>>7022704
1 quintillion hours in MS paint
>>
File: pep.png (218 KB, 800x640)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
>>7022716
>>
>>6989872
Same. The moment I got a car and a full time job above minimum wage, I seriously put time into managing my budget so I could pay my expenses and still be able to splurge on a video game or fancy ass toy if I wanted to. Feels good being a grown ass adult sometimes
>>
>>6997714
I think that's a fuck ton of people. I have a friend who's slowly trying to reacquire all his LEGOs and
Digimon toys his dad made him throw away that are worth a fortune these days
>>
>>7024774
That's definitely me.
>>
>>6989085
i like owning representations of chracters i like from stuff i like and there fun to pose
>>
>>6989085
I'm very mentally and physically ill in real life so I have hobbies like this to cope. I feel really guilty about it sometimes though because I'm on disability, but if I can't let guilt dictate my decisions when it would stop me from one of the very few things I can enjoy right now.

People can be extremely judgemental about it, like all the autists who track CWCs spending, but jokes on you I'll be dead at 30 and never have kids so I'll save the government money while they piss much more on other shit like how back in the 70's NASA spent 2 million dollars on teaching dolphins how to speak to aliens. But they had to separate the males from the females so this girl ended up jerking off this dolphin all day. Then the lead scientist blew the money on coke, went insane/schitzophrenic and all the dolphins ended up in horrible living conditions. Look at all those poor people who use their kids for more welfare only to piss it on drugs.I pay my bills, don't do crack or jerk off space dolphins give me a fucking break.

Sorry guys I've been insecure lately and needed to get this out there.
>>
>>7025886
Thank for that argument. It changed my take on getting toys a bit
>>
>>7025886
>back in the 70's NASA spent 2 million dollars on teaching dolphins how to speak to aliens. But they had to separate the males from the females so this girl ended up jerking off this dolphin all day. Then the lead scientist blew the money on coke, went insane/schitzophrenic and all the dolphins ended up in horrible living conditions.
/x/, what are you doing here
>>
File: 703.jpg (84 KB, 597x822)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>6990848
>>6991104
To be fair these idiots are still not quite as bad as some of the lefty kids...
>>
>>6989085
Naw man
>>
>>7028838
better than the "size too small" jeans and worn t-shirt fat redneck men wear
>>
>>6989085
3D makes some things more appreciable, especially for things that had limited screentime. Like in the Hygogg's case, it's simply easier to appreciate when you can view its design any way that you want on a whim.
>>
>>6990650
>too embarrassed to show his face
I would be too
>>
>>6989085
It satisfies an addiction i've had since childhood. Also, they're neat.
>>
i get really happy owning and seeing a good sculpt with really well designed articulation of my favorite designs.

that's really it.

i get an extra kick out of seeing a whole wall filled up with them, feels like i have a museum of my fav stuff.
>>
>>6993380
kys my dude
>>
>>7031299
dont listen to this anon who should be taking his own advice, definitely
>>
i like well drawn stuff, not art like in the museum just a well drawn baddass character or monster so i figured that maybe i could see that good art in a 3D form with a good sculpted toy. it makes me happy
>>
>>6990658
That Superman toy is vintage af
>>
I am just fascinated with product visuals.
>>
>>7026025
It's true though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6QK7dEFLI0
>>
>>6990594
Same. It's become an addiction for me.
>>
File: IMG_1344.jpg (369 KB, 1400x786)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>6989085
Where to begin? There's so many reasons
>enjoying how they are essentially 3D pieces of art especially if really well sculpted and detailed
>posing them in cool poses and testing the limits of their articulation
>posing them in cool poses with other figures
>making dioramas
>setting up battle scenes and dioramas with fucking styrofoam packaging as bases
>toy photography
>kitbashing, parts-swapping and essentially modding your figures till they are your own new creation
>being able to create new or silly scenes with your favorite characters
>using them as drawing reference, from posing reference to full character design reference
>placing them around your desk to liven it up make it less dull
>owning a small piece of a franchise you really enjoy and the only way to enjoy it physically as possessed to virtually (vidya, watching it, enjoying fanart)
>take a bunch of stuff, make up a story, set it up and photograph it

pic related - styrofoam base

Even when I don't have the motivation to do any of those things, simply posing them each individually in new poses once in a while is fine for me, so the more articulated the better.
>>
File: 1530793121505.jpg (42 KB, 842x699)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>7040750
>possessed

opposed* to
>>
File: StephieHerbert1427241918.jpg (1.89 MB, 3264x2448)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
>>7031148
>especially for things that had limited screentime

This, plus the benefit of cross-over scenarios and everything like that, you can either draw them, commission a drawing of them or set them up with your toys
>>
>>6989085
For a different answer: I only collect plastic unicorn cats in costumes (aka: custom Lego Unikitty designs), and I only started relatively recently. I was thinking "Boy, I like /toy/, but I have never had a collection of my own. Maybe I should start some kinda collection to see what it's like?". So I decided to just go with Unikitty - partly because it wouldn't ever break the bank, partly because I can have fun coming up with new designs, and mostly because it's just a character I really like.

Gotta say though, I would have thought the biggest problem would've been cost (I've spent over $100 so far), but it actually seems to be time. I've become a tad obsessed with trying to come up with new designs. Does... does toy collecting normally work like this?
>>
I like playing with them, transporting myself to a magical world where I don't have to be me
>>
File: PepeSweat.jpg (48 KB, 400x384)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Does anyone really play with their toys? I have a pretty big collection and I've been tempted to play with them but am too embarrassed to even try it.
But every so often the urge just kinda trickles up.
>>
>>7044749
I saw you either in the LEGO or in the pbb general. Anyway hi again friend! Please show us your collection!

At least for me time is a factor in collecting as well. Weeks could pass between when I buy a LEGO set and when I have the time to build it, or from when I come up with a cool pose for one of my figures to when I actually change its pose.

I guess it’s normal, it only means we have other things to do but we enjoy our hobby enough that we try to find time for it anyway.
>>
File: 20180713_222104.jpg (149 KB, 952x432)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>7045678
Professor Welby Trail hosts the 1st annual Robot Fair at the local university, and all the budding engineers are showing off their innovations to the professionals of Light Labs, the Hero Factory and Stark Industries. The professor is so impressed by everyone's creations and gives every robot a medal. This prompts Team Rocket, Cut Man and Tengu Man to steal all the winning robots they can, only to be single-handedly blasted away by Optimus Prime.

After dealing with the minor threat, all the robots ambush Prime. He is able to swat the weaker ones away, but the stronger ones team up and defeat him with their wildly unique technologies and abilities. They decide to escape somewhere only to be followed by Mega Man. During the fight, Mega Man is able to copy new abilities, but has problems figuring out how to use them. While trying out Rock Bison's weapon, the attack launches Mega Man himself into a wall for some reason, thus giving the robots an opportunity to finish him off

to be continued
>>
>>7045678
I have teaparties with my plush toys but sometimes we drink whisky I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>7047813
Ah man, that clayman looks awesome. I have flashman, I'll post later

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.