[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Why do miniatures cost so much?

from my understanding they're made of plastic, need to assembled and painted on top of that.

what's the deal? and do people actually unironically buy them?
>>
>>6996445
Intellectual property rights
>>
>>6996445
>do people actually unironically buy them?
What an incredibly stupid question.
>>
>>6996445

Bette sculpting, lower production runs, its GW, etc
>>
>>6996445
Warhammer fans are kind of retarded
>>
>>6996445
I assume your talking about GW specifically from the pic. They have been around forever, they sell the most popular wargame of all time, they are basically like an established designer clothing brand at this point. They can charge whatever they want and people will eat it up. Companies like reaper miniatures sell some nice models for 2-4 bucks a pop, GW sells some single models for $30+ simply because they are GW. Also I heard the molds cost a fortune.
>>
>>6996445
>>6996664
this desu...
>>
>>6996664
This. And they all complain about it.
>>
>>6996445
This is what you do you buy one box of each that you want make castings then cast all your own in resin then you never have to buy them again just the materials to make full armies for little cost
>>
low production numbers and the material they use is specially designed to retain high levels of detail.
Also, there is some correlation between the strength/power of the unit and how much more its dollar value is.

There have been other companies who have tried to make minis and keeping a low dollar value, but they usually die within a few years.

Some companies like Reaper are thriving thanks to innovative plastics and molding, but they're still pretty expensive relative to MUSCLEMEN style figures or plastic army men figures because of low production runs.
>>
>>6996445
several million dollar steel moulds.
and in the case of GW, UK infrastructure causing production delays, and UK minimum wage.
GWs factory gets brownouts because the Nottingham grid sucks.
>>
>>6996445
They cost more than people guess to produce. Also GW uses a sculpting and tooling program licensed from japan which is very pricey.
>>
>>6996445
>>6996680
>>7001920
They do cost more to produce then people assume they would. But at the same time the previous head of GW led the company down the stupid idealogy of 'we are NOT a toy company. We are NOT a gaming company. We are a refined and sophisticated COLLECTABLE MINIATURES company. Our primary target audience are NOT gamers, they are collectors willing to pay a premium for the collection.'

He also just loved to describe Warhammer as 'The Hobby', dude got the company so dang use to the horrible pricing schemes that they are having a very hard time letting completely go of them. At least there is some improvement though, they are releasing starter boxes that is an actual decent deal rather then barely cheaper if at all.

Unless a person has plenty of friends that play too, I still advise not getting into it at the moment. But keep an eye on it, the improvements may continue
>>
>>6996445
Here is this video I dug up ages ago for a thread asking how their got such tiny details on figures before the rise of computers.

skip ahead to about 11:30 in the episode. They handle two different styles of making the miniatures. Sculpting a tiny miniature and then casting them as is, as well as making a more heavily detailed model in large scale and then make a mold of it that they can scale down with a very painstakingly tedious process.
>>
>>7001987
helps if I post the damn link
https://www1.watch-series.io/series/how-its-made-season-27-episode-1
>>
>>6996445

GW tends to be overpriced but I don't buy them. I buy Reaper mainly, and metal ones. Larger metal figures can be pricey but I have a taste for old TSR AD&D Ral Partha figures so $30US for a metal Pit Fiend still feels like a bargain compared to some of those.

I have about 700 figures, just about half of them painted. Some of the sculptors for these also sculpt for toy companies and you can meet them at cons.

For most collectors painting them isn't a chore, though, it's part of the point of it like with the plamo crowd.
>>
>>6996680
>They can charge whatever they want and people will eat it up.
I don't think "eat it up" is exactly accurate, since none of the 40k players I know are the slightest bit happy about it but if they want to keep adding to their armies, they don't have much of a choice. GW is basically holding the game hostage and the entire fanbase is pissed but can't do anything about it because they still want to play. If they make a stand and refuse to buy, GW just says "oh well, I guess nobody likes 40k anymore, time to axe it!"
>>
>>6996445
>playing any GW game apart from Blood Bowl
Shiggy diggy, you can enjoy spending hundreds of bucks on shit that will just get nerfed next edition to make way for whatever new OP models they come up with. I'll just be having fun with my game that requires no more than two dozen models, max, and playing with garbage is a choice not a punishment for not getting more models.
>>
>>7003073
That's really only a concern for waacfags anyway. I build my armies around a theme/just what I think is cool. I don't mind losing as long as I have some fun doing it but then again my lgs is very lore and narrative friendly with only the occasional waac player from the city wandering in.
Hell, I've been running a multi-year long campaign with a rule set comprised from the things we liked from the last 4 editions and tweaking the rules as we go.

It's great when you treat it like a hobby with friends and not a MtG tournament scene.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.