[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: RyuukoQuietRage.png (705 KB, 610x642)
705 KB
705 KB PNG
What are design choices/engineering decisions/gimmicks/features on toys you absolutely loathe?

For me it's borderline useless joints with almost no range thanks to the sculpt getting in the way or the engineering just being dreadful. NECA and McFarlane are the biggest offenders, often sculpting directly onto the joints or worse just making the joint a cut in the sculpt, such that the sculpt only looks "right" in one pose and the articulation is hugely limited. Probably the worst examples I've handled were the NECA Robocop mold and the McFarlane Anniversary Master Chief (with the buildable insignia), both of which had good sculpts but thanks to poor engineering/partscount were borderline unposeable. Black Series are also guilty, with 90 degrees or less being common on the elbows thanks to the dated as hell joint designs.
>>
>>7041964
I’m not sure if it’s true but supposedly Hasbro aren’t allowed to use double jointed elbows unless the joints are covered up with cloth (like Farmboy Luke).
>>
>>7042088
I'd wager that at least is true. Lucasfilm has always been rather specific about how they want their figures to look.
>>
Individual articulated fingers in punching or shooting characters

I prefer interchangeable hands instead
>>
>character has a rifle or shotgun
>doesn't have enough range of motion in arms to actually hold it right
>>
>>7041964
interesting, I myself have no qualms with this, in fact I much prefer it over a statue. I'll admit this is an idiosyncrasy on my part though.
If I had to hate something with all my heart it would have to be when toys are made to look low quality on purpose to mimic older toys.
>>
>>7042128
this...
>>
File: 1531159352276.png (1.18 MB, 1660x1323)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
>character uses guns
>doesn't come with hands that have trigger fingers
>character uses sword/baton
>only comes with trigger fingers
>>
File: 1456370872480.gif (701 KB, 500x399)
701 KB
701 KB GIF
>>7041964
>character wears high heels
>>
File: daffy_duck__1920x1080.jpg (91 KB, 1920x1080)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>7041964
>character is a reptile
>known for biting things, breathing fire etc
>mouth is sculpted closed
>>
>>7041964
Funko Pops
>>
File: cotton.jpg (7 KB, 191x264)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>7042172
>>
>>7042163
>>
File: 1523003342077.jpg (54 KB, 700x472)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>joints are painted
>areas that touch each other are painted
>any movement whatsoever will cause paint scuffs
This hobby is hell for my 'tism and OCD
>>
File: 36785709661_d6e81f17bd_o.jpg (1.04 MB, 1924x1756)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>7042128
>character uses swords
>wrists are hinged in the direction of the palm so they can rotate the sword around in front of them, but not actually swing it forward
Looking at you, four horsemen and hasbro. Balljoints on swivel hinges are the optimal solution, but if you've gotta do just hinges either do them on the right axis or sculpt the hand so the grip is at an angle. One of the more pleasant surprises I've had in this hobby was when I opened my first vitruvian hacks guys and saw they included two pairs of hands with both joints.
>>
>>7041964
Modern G.I. Joe figures being sculpted with trigger fingers separate from the others, so it looks stupid when they are not holding a gun. Marvel Legends especially is stupid with this when they do it for sword characters.
>>
File: tasky.jpg (139 KB, 2048x1365)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Fake and sculpted guns or knives
>>
>>7042161
yes this.
>>
>>7042163
>he doesn't like high heels
Gay.
>>
Shitty box design where you try to repack (to resell as brand new) but the plastic casting/where the figure is held doesn't fit properly in the box so it ends up warping the box and possibly breaking it.
>>
>>7042414
Guns molded to hands.
>>
>>7041964
>have to translate weird guido guidi trasformers crotch
>instead of being sensible and integrating the design into functional hips they put a flap on top of the hips
>a waist swivel can't be incorporated into the design because of this
Collecting transformers is suffering.
>>
File: Fuck You FA-Q (Kizuna).jpg (105 KB, 1200x750)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>7041964
The #1 gimmick that I HATE: spring loaded missiles. You just slightly touch the trigger and off the missile go! Lost... forever. Then, your collectible is now worthless. Too often, the charged missile is necessary to complete the look. Remove it and the thing look daff. Charge it and you risk losing it. Either you'll fire it accidentally, or it will just shoot on it's own after a while.

However, the missiles that work with a friction joint (push it from the back to shoot) are PERFECT because they can never shoot off randomly.
>>
>>7042574
>losing your missiles
lmao you are children
I had to go out of my way to lose a missile when I was a child. How fucking cluttered is your house?
>>
>>7042590
The collection overflow room is a mess. One day, I'll find it by moving out, or my cats will find it and start playing with it.
>>
>>7041964
Thigh cuts, ankle cuts,waist cuts, etc.
Basically articulation that looks so horrendous when you use it that it may as well not be there.
>>
>>7042819
Fucking this.
I don't have any DCC/Multiverse figure because they keep using those horrible cuts. Marvel Legends is just as incompetent but I have bigger issues with them.
>>
>>7042527
to add onto yours

non square boxes
boxes with pegholes on top
american plastic packaging that warps weapons

basically i hate marvel legends boxes
>>
File: -5941461014945725836.jpg (82 KB, 800x800)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>7042414
sculpted in guns, but then they also give you the actual gun as an accessory

swords that can't sheathe in, so they give you a sword, a scabbard, and a fake sword hilt
>>
>>7042574
I love early to mid-90's missile launchers. They can eventually tangle up the spring, but they stay in when you put them in and only launch when you press the button. Starting around the Armada days up until they dropped them totally, missile launchers on Transformers started to suck. Hair triggers, and many times looking like a part of the gun, so when removed, the gun looked like shit.
>>
My biggest pet peeve and figma is the number one offender of this is no abcrunch/torso articulation and characters who are specifically supposed to be agile. Looking at you Kat and Zss. What was the point of designing an archetype than never using that articulation scheme.
>>
>>7042903
Actually this is my number 2. My number one is figures without any form of grasping holding hands so they can barely interact with any accessories.
>>
>>7042898
For something specific about the AY line
>They put the plastic dividers over even the tightest of joints
>So when you try to get rid of them they always break apart and a little bit of it is forever trapped in the joint unless you actually take it apart
Drives me fucking wild.
>>
>ball joints instead of a normal biceps swivels
fucking lazy piece of shit
>>
>>7043018
Use a hairdryer or hot (not boiling) water when removing joints.
>>
>>7043025
what figures even do this?
>>
File: homer laugh.gif (2.66 MB, 300x196)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB GIF
>>7042515
>i-ill just use a stand!
>>
>>7041964
I hate any and all use of chrome. I blame most of this on beast wars figures where the chrome basically sheared off the second you took them out of their packaging, but even on better toys it still scrapes off so easily and looks like shit the second there's even a small chip.
>>
File: 5193l4AYRDL_large.jpg (37 KB, 480x472)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
i hate shitty macaroni yellow gold plastic

gold in general seems to be a difficult color to nail. they get it wrong on supposedly premium figures too, like on a lot of SHF iron men and thanos's gauntlet and armor
>>
>>7043092
It also picks up fingerprints and dirt like mad, and doesn't look like silver but rather whatever reflects off it.

The use of die cast parts, especially 3P Transformers, can die. It adds nothing of value, and ends up being a detriment because it will paint chip. It may be paint chipped when you get it. It really requires a durable, expensive paint to work well but no company will spend that, they'll soak it in cheap enamel that barely sticks. What do you expect for a Wei Jiang toy that costs $25 or less, automotive paint?
>>
>>7042128
This is the main reason I haven't ordered the John Wick yet. I don't know if it's just bad posing for the promo pics or whether he can't really shoulder his rifle.
>>
>>7043067
Transformers.
>>
>>7043100
Metallic plastic in general usually looks shite. Paint is really the only way to go for convincing metallic parts.
>>
>>7043055
Thanks mate, i'll probably give the water one a go, I've got to get plastic out of my cap, venom, carnage, wolv and magneto.
>>
>>7043679
looking at you, ML iron man
>>
>>7041964
Whatever the FUCK was up with Revoltech Kenshiro's legs. I fucking hate this figure so much because of them.
>>
The gold hair SHF uses for blond or light brown hair.
>>
>>7043778
Oh, on that note. I'm not a Play Arts Kai or Bring Arts fan anyway, but the fact that Square uses transparent plastic constantly for hair does get to me.
>>
>>7043781
Speaking of transparent plastic, the joints on the Funko Game of Thrones figures that disintegrated if you looked at them (or didn’t, I’ve had figures I didn’t know used transparent plastic for joints fall apart in storage). Not so much a design choice as much as a case of just not caring.
>>
>>7043781
JUST USE WHITE PLASTIC SQUARE

i had a lot of hope for the bring arts line but it's just been disappointment after disappointment
>>
>>7042088
Is this a new rule? cuz quite a few ML have double jointed elbows. Very recent ones at that.
>>
>>7043840
Just in the Star Wars ones
>>
>>7043840
It’s a Star Wars thing.
>>
>>7042574
>The #1 gimmick that I HATE: spring loaded missiles.
I like spring loaded projectiles in toys. I shoot them at people.
>>
>>7043841
>>7043843
I see. That's lame.

But I remember the early Stormtroopers had double jointed elbows and knees. They were the best.
>>
>>7043849
Yep. That's why the Black Series OT troopers are great while the sequel trilogy troopers are shit.

Designs notwithstanding
>>
>>7041964
> Flying character.
> Can't look up.
>>
>>7043816
Have to disagree, honestly. 2B is really bad, but the other releases have all been solid so far. I still wouldn't say I have faith in the line, but it's not hopeless.
>>
>>7041964
Average sized character gets a big deluxe figure, while large and huge characters only get basic undersized figures.
>>
6 inch scale figures that don't scale well with the average 6 inch. Figma does this a lot
>>
>>7042515
>>7043075
I can stand figures with high heels but I don't like high heels.
What now?
>>
>>7044700
marvel legends ant man
>>
I thoroughly hate Revoltech Shoulders and their awkward angles at which point the joints enter the body, and I also hate the way Figma assembles their hips, namely how they have that rubbery stuff around the hip joints that either pops the ball and socket apart, or restricts the movement to the point it feels like the rubbery plastic will tear when moving it.
>>
>>7045038
pose them dynamically right now
>>
>>7043855
As a Superman fan, this is the bane of my existence.
>>
>>7045392
Most iron man figures.
>>
>has sword
>can only hold the sword exactly perpendicular to their forearm

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.