[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 48 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Asia.png (75 KB, 280x352)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
I bought a two month round trip ticket to New Delhi, planning on backpacking around India and seeing as much as I can. Any advice?
>>
Use only bottled water and don't walk barefoot.
>>
>>1292827
im off to india next week, will revisit this thread with some advice if i remember
>>
>>1292827
>any advice

Yeah, practice bulimia before you go so your gag reflex isn't so strong. This will help in a variety of ways from smells, to foods, sights, and for when Balsdeep Analimood has his 4" cock jamming down your throat.
>>
>>1292827
What do you want to know OP?

I returned 2 weeks ago from my trip around asia, and I stayed a week in India.
I went through Varanasi-Sarnath-Agra-New Delhi

for starters I can give you this
Drink only bottled water or juices (try pic related it is a god tier mango drink, when I first tried it I didn't want to drink water anymore). ALWAYS!!! check the bottle cap before buying if it is easy to open or not. If it is easy it means they used tap water to fill the bottle, and they glued the cap to the bottle.

don't listen to him >>1292830, because you will miss countless of things. In the 90% of the things you want to see you will have to take your shoes (and in many case socks) off. If you want to find them again you have to pay for a guy there to guard it. I walked barefoot in those monasteries and nothing happened to me.

they have beatiful stands with gorgeous fruits or lemonade. Don't, eat, don't drink. Eat a banana if you want to eat fruit, or drink coconut milk. Everything else is off limits if you don't want to get diarrhea.

This goes to eating too. don't risk eat, and eat rather in restaurants (restaurants are MUCH cheaper than in europe or us, you can get a good local meal for 4-5 euros (((sorry I am a eurofag))) with drinks. watch out, alcohol for example beer is very expensive in india, it can cost you the same ammount as the main meal) I travelled with my friend who knew it where is it safe to eat in local buffets, if you don't have a guide like that I would suggest you to stick to restaurants.

bring an antibacterial gel with you and always use it before eating.

do NOT give anything to beggars. I consider myself a good hearted person, and I gave my last nepali rupees which I forgot to change at the nepali-indian border to a miserable woman with a little kid. She returned with 3 other beggars, and it was impossible to shake them off.

I will write more if you want but I am hitting the limit.
>>
>>1292859
Thank you for the advice! Sounds like the same rules that apply to Mexico or any other developing country. I'm planning on staying in Hostels and taking the train as much as possible, my goal is to eventually make it to Vietnam and hit everything in between. The stars on the map in my original post are the places I have marked as of interest while in India.
>>
>>1292827
Rest in peace my friend.
>>
>>1292872
This, India is "famous" for the small villages giving foreign whites the shakedown. Most people go on tourist tours and they don't see the real india and the shithole that it is.
>>
File: train.jpg (78 KB, 960x540)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>1292870
sorry I was dumb and I didn't see the stars. It seems I can only help you with Agra and Delhi then. (or at least write down my experiences)

We did the same and were staying in hostels, going around with trains. Be prepared that in most of the hostels there is no flush button (or there is but it is not working), you will need to use a bucket (the hostel will give you one) to flush down your poop.

Make a plan what do you want to see, and if your points of interest are not very far away in the specific town, rent a driver with a riksha. It is the fastest way for a transport in the cities there. Just don't go with the first. They will see that you are a foreigner and they will give you a very big price. Always try to bargain.

if we are at this point, we have to say to some people there are scums and they will try to scam you. If you want to change your money THERE, go and see at least 10 places to get the best rate. I don't know where are you from but according to my experience, but they don't like euros, bring dollars, and small notes (they don't like the big notes, and if there is one scratch one them they won't exchange it.)

The train will be a hell of an experience. Don't try to save your money here, book tickets which are more expensive (we went with the most expensive class.. It has aircon (watch out, if you are not used to the asian aircon you can get cold - in their culture they are putting it to the coldest settings. pack a sweater with you or something warm even if the weather is very warm outside. After an hour or two when the aircon starts to work it is very cold in the train). And the most important thing is that you shouldn't freak out. (but I think you won't if you are going for such a journey). On my left I travelled for 7 hours with a muslim who was constantly shouting allahu akbar and photographing me. I took it as an adventure and it was pretty fun after all.
>>
File: train 2.jpg (93 KB, 960x540)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>1292925
I forgot to add, that if you exchange your money, or they are giving you back money after a purchase, ALWAYS count it at least two times. They like to screw foreigners away. My friend exchanged her money, she wanted a pretty big sum and they gave her 3000 rupees less, and we had to fight with them to gave back the right sum.

The sleeping class trains (of course the expensive class - it had a name but I can't remember it sorry, only thing I know it wasn't the first class) are very comfy, and usually it is used only by europeans. Our vagon was full of spanish and portugal people. They are selling the best masala tea in the train, buy one.

As this anon says >>1292917 there are small villages where the hygenic standards are not very high, but I think every country has places like that, and a big country like India must have a lot of them. Altough I NEVER saw anyone shitting on the streets. Even not in Varanasi which is a very poor city. These people are doing their best to stabilize their country after the brits plundered it to death. Their new president is taking it very seriously, my friend who I was travelling with was in India two months ago, and she said that she can see differences already. during my one month trip I travelled through China-Tibet-Nepal-India and India is the place where I want to return.
>>
>>1292859
>you can get a good local meal for 4-5 euros

Thats not very cheap.
I can do that in the states if i shop around.
I had always heard you could eat for less than a dollar?
Are those days gone?
Even in mexico you can get streetfood for a buck.
>>
File: DSC01758.jpg (4.59 MB, 5184x2920)
4.59 MB
4.59 MB JPG
>>1292934
One small thing. If you are traveling with a female, she should cover her arms and legs. My friend who I travelled with is a 24 year old girl, and she said that after 2 years know she learnt how to defend herself (so she is not covering herself) against the small percentage of the locals who are looking for uncovered foreign girls from Europe and the US. They don't want to rape them just hug them, or they want to immitate sexually things. During our stay it didn't happen once.

In Delhi you can use the subway station which is very modern and clean. Just watch out because it is a japanese subway tier, it is full of people and you need to fight your way in if you want to take the subway.
The ladies can take a different railroad car at the subway station just for them where males are banned to enter.

Do NOT interact with a monkey. There are tons of them, if you interact them in any way they will be worse than the beggars and they won't leave you alone

These are most of the things which I can remember, you can ask away anything.

Things that we saw in Agra are the following: The tomb of I'timād-ud-Daulah (yes I googled it), or as people are calling it in common language the "Baby Taj". It is a very nice tomb, according to lot of people it is nicer than Taj Mahal. It is situated in a beatiful garden, and I think there is more to see on the architecture then on the whole Taj Mahal. Most of the tourists do not know that this exists, so it is almost a tourist free zone. Unfortunately the brits plundered it too, you will see it from the inside.

Next one is the red fortress which is a must see thing. It is a beauty, I would suggest you to read about it before you go there, so you can imagine every single part how did it look like. It was like in a tale.
>>
>>1292939
What I meant was you will get a very big portion with a drink, and you won't feel hungry all the day. It depens really on you where you want to eat, you can grab a streetfood for a cheap price, but have fun running to the toilet. My friend who I was travelling with spends almost her all the time in india due her work, she knows about india and the places everything, and she recomeended me to eat streetfood (where she was sure I won't have problems) through Varanasi- Sarnath-Agra-Delhi 8 times.
>>
File: DSC01904.jpg (3.53 MB, 5184x2920)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>1292941
The most important thing in Agra of course is the Taj Mahal. You want to go there as soon as possible. It opens at 6:00 on the morning. Our hostel was 30 minutes away from the taj mahal, we left the hotel at 4:30 to avoid any queue. We waited from 5:00 to 6:00 but it was worth for the time. The security guards even congratulated us that we will experience the Taj Mahal as the first that day. With no tourists it was magical. After 30-40 minutes it was full of people and they ruined the whole experience. Watch out, that you can't bring in any drinks with yourself.

The Taj Mahal is very nice, altough I would say that from far it is more gorgeous than if you see it close. You have to go barefoot on the white marbles of Taj Mahal, or you have to buy covers to you shoes like in the hospital.
We saw the local markets (it was a very nice experience), and we went to Delhi with train.
>>
File: DSC02029.jpg (4.11 MB, 5184x2920)
4.11 MB
4.11 MB JPG
>>1292948
In Delhi the must see things to see are the following according to me:
The Sikh Monastery - (it is truly magical how they accept everyone, they will even offer you a meal),

Jama Masjid the largest mosque in India (wear long trousers or they will give you a very very stinky kimono). If you are going in alone and not with a group they have a stupid rule that you will have to pay a photographing fee, even if you don't even have a camera with you. Just refuse to pay. Take care of your ticket, because inside they will check it many times, Chandni Chawk - the oldest market in india, (it is especially worth to go there because of the spices - they have such a strong smell that you will start to cough), Indian Gate - Looks like a triumphal arch but it is not (I liked it much more than the triumpal arch in paris). It is dedicated for the dead indian soldiers who were dragged to pointless british wars. It is enourmous and very nice. From the Indian gate you can get a riksha which will take you close to the presidental palace (it was very nice too), the lotus temple is worth for a visit too.

If there is one thing which you MUST see in Delhi it is the Akshadham. It is an enormous monastery which is beatiful. Every single detail is so well made, that I think in 1000 years this will be the new taj mahal. The queing line is enourmous, you can't bring in any electronics (so no camera), any food or drink, basically just your passport and money. But there is no entrance fee and it is gorgeous, you have to see it. Google won't give you a justice for it.

These are the main things according to me which you should see, again if you have any questions just ask. Damn it was so good to write this down, I would go back so much, I am jelaous OP.
>>
>>1292954

Thank You!! I wrote everything down!
>>
File: 0.jpg (43 KB, 624x351)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1292827
Best advice is don't go to India
>>
>>1292859

Been to India eight times and am currently posting from a city several hours away from Mumbai. I agree with most of what you've written, but a few changes or suggestions I'd make are:

>don't eat or drink fruits, lemonade, or food not from restaurants

To each their own. I eat plenty of street food - which often tastes amazing - and rarely have health problems. Occasionally I'll fall ill or shit for a few days, but I always tell people to take the plunge. Eating at low-cost restaurants isn't likely to save you from a possible case of food poisoning. While internationally-maintained establishments - McDonald's, big hotel chains - and very pricey local joints probably maintain hygiene, you never know what the kitchen is going to be like at some random place.

>drink prices

Alcohol prices fluctuate an enormous amount between states in India.

Imported beverages usually cost more than domestic brews. Rum and whiskey, like Old Monk, is pretty inexpensive.

Unless you're really cheap, I wouldn't recommend skipping alcohol.

>>1292925

Will also point out, for OP's benefit, that there's no reason to pay for the highest class / 1AC on trains.

The only difference between 1AC, 2AC, and 3AC is the number of berths. 1AC compartments can be locked from the inside, and certain trains will also offer a nice selection of food.

But 1AC also costs as much or sometimes more than flying, even on short notice.

Not sure what you mean by 'sleeping class' trains, but almost every train you go on will be mostly full of Indians, regardless of which class you're in. Indian Railways has reserved quotas for popular routes - Tourist Quota ensures that foreign nationals can always buy X number of tickets until the quota is met.

Normal trains have, in order of best quality to worst:

1AC -> 2AC -> 3AC -> Sleeper -> General

Short-distance trains might have 'seater' coaches, like Delhi-Agra, Delhi-Lucknow, Delhi-Jaipur, etc.
>>
>>1293482

cont.

Also wanted to point out that I wasn't trying to be hostile, just wanted to correct or add a new perspective on some things I didn't agree with.

Anyway, OP, ask if you have any specific questions about Mumbai, Delhi, or Jaipur. Lived in Delhi for two years and have spent lots of time in the other two places.
>>
>>1292827
India is one of the most divisive countries you will ever visit. you will go from hating it to being totally blown away by the culture on a daily, even hourly basis. when i got back from my first trip i was convinced i would never go back. a year later i changed my mind and did a second trip. it's a weird, disgusting, mind-blowing place
>>
>>1293482
>Imported beverages usually cost more than domestic brews. Rum and whiskey, like Old Monk, is pretty inexpensive.
In Bangalore, I remember a 750ml bottle of Old Monk running around 300 rupees, which is a pretty good deal by Western Standards. Indian "whiskies", some of which are available in a juice box variant, are generally only a slight step above rubbing alcohol, with price being a good indicator of quality. Signature and Signature Premier were the only decent ones I found over there and ran 800 and 1200 rupees respectively for 750ml IIRC.
>>
>>1292827
Bring a diaper and baby wipes for when you inevitably blow out your o-ring.
>>
>>1293743

I remember buying a bottle of 24 Carat whiskey or rum in Delhi. Cost me about 30 rupees.

Somebody saw me with the bottle, started laughing, and told me not to drink too much in one go or I'd wake up blind.

I like Old Monk, though.

So far as the earlier conversation goes, I've found that Indian beers and mixed drinks are usually fairly priced at lower- and middle-income-geared establishments. The
>>
>>1292859

I meant that as Don't walk around barefoot outside where the animals shit. Temples are fine. Walking around barefoot is how you catch hookworms. There are some hippy types that think it's suddenly ok to walk barefoot everywhere because they're in a different country despite all the fecal matter on the street.

The water is to prevent giardia. I've caught this several times in India and it can be really hard to get rid of.

FWIW I lived in India for a year on ~$100/mo and do go barefoot in temples.
>>
Not OP but I have a 10 hour and 20 hour layover in New Delhi for arrival and return respectively. Is it worth getting a visa to explore or should I just stay in the airport?

What facilities am I able to access during my layover anyway? First time travelling with a layover type deal.
>>
>>1293483
>Also wanted to point out that I wasn't trying to be hostile

no offense taken anon. I stayed only one week in india in many cities, I didn't even have time to catch on many things I am glad you corrected me. Also you are right, we travelled with 2AC, not with 1AC.

Damn I would return so much to drink a bottle of Maaza right now.
>>
>go to India
>always some generic tourist shit like Delhi or Bombay
>never the South
Why
>>
What about living in India ? I'm moving to New Delhi for work reasons and I'll be living there for at least one year.

I'll get paid 95.000 rupees per month (I'm aware that it is not a lot of money for an european inmigrant), does anybody knows what kind of housing can I get with that amount of money ?
>>
call me and i would help you in delhi. +919891252594
>>
>>1295776
Do you have LSD?
>>
>>1295119

Most of the cheap flights from the United States and Europe are bound for either New Delhi or Mumbai.

I think it's just a case of the South being sort of far away.

I'm in India now for the eighth time and really, really want to check out at least Karnataka, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu. Unfortunately, I got pegged by a drunk driver while riding a motorbike and have to get a minor shoulder surgery.

Back up to Delhi, FML.

>>1295762

Basically whatever the fuck kind of housing you want, aside from a small palace.

One of my close friends lived in Delhi with her family for a while. I think they paid about 30,000 INR per month for a three-bedroom apartment in GK-I or GK-II, both of which are upper-middle class neighborhoods.

I remember checking out a flat in Jangpura - which is fairly popular with expats - back in 2014. I think it was 20 or 25k per month. Wrap-around terrace, marble floors, two bedrooms, and partially furnished.

You could get a stellar one-bedroom in a very exclusive area paying the same amount.

Unless you're going to club and drink yourself into oblivion every night, you won't have many major expenses outside of lodging. Food is cheap, alcohol is cheap at local shops, and transportation may as well be free (Delhi Metro fares are very low, and Uber is extremely affordable).

Ask your job to help you find local accommodation, though. Property brokers in New Delhi are NOT your friend, and they will rip you off viciously to ensure a higher commission for themselves. For instance, I once had a man show me a one-bedroom apartment in an awful neighborhood (monkey in the living room, cockroaches, rats, metal gate for a door) and ask for $1,000 per month plus a $300 commission.

Other times they'll ask for bogus documentation and police verification fees, or inflate legitimate fees by a factor of five or ten.

Much better to have a trustworthy local contact help you arrange everything.
>>
File: 1482352296582.jpg (26 KB, 360x360)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1292925
> I travelled for 7 hours with a muslim who was constantly shouting allahu akbar and photographing me
>>
>>1296581
yeah how about living with those people on a daily basis as a non muslim
>>
>>1296571
Im from south indian and I was there recently, the south isnt far away nor is it backwards to not have flights to its major airports. While a lot more flights are available for mumbai and delhi if you actually look there are flights to southern cities if you take a different route. On my last trip I went from newark > delhi > hyd while my parents went from jfk > dubai > hyd.

I flew from newark >frankfurt > hyd on another trip years ago, its possible to go from different cities in europe. You can find similar flights to bangalore or chennai also. I think emirates/dubai is the best if you want to get to south india from america, the layovers are short also.

How the hell are you in india for the 8th time and never checked out a region of a country, are you one of those pathetic weeboo type guys who go to japan and want to only hang out in akihabara or whatever place in japan weebs hang out there. Get out and see more, india is a cheap ass country to travel.
>>
>>1297502
>Hyderabad
Janmabhoomi. How's the traffic over there? Last I went was 2013.
You ever been to Tirupati? Main reason to go is the temple, but it's a nice place to go for general tourism too.
>>
>>1297562
Traffic is ok, its really in certain parts of the city that it becomes a choke point. With the metro rail being built that has made the traffic worse. I do not know if it will be built by the scheduled date but I would wager it will take another 5-8 years to complete. I think it will be very helpful, should cut down on the amount of autos and cabs in the city.

Never been to tirupati, dont have a desire to visit there anyway. Im not a religious person at all nor would I go if anyone in my family wanted to. I prefer to go to places where I can do stuff rather than see stuff/people.

Sadly hyderabad isnt a touristy city compared to others, its nice in one sense that you dont see the hippie type people looking for some spiritual awakening experience. Only saw about less than 10 foreigners in my 3 week stay, most of them were at malls. Its also nice for them cause people dont bother them.
>>
>>1292827
Fuck Dehli. See the sites and then GTFO.
>>
>>1295119
I don't know about OP or the rest of this thread, but I plan on going to Thiruvananthapuram, before heading out to the Maldives & Sri Lanka.
>>
I'm landing in Delhi. I'll also probably stay at a nearby hotel.

What is the fastest/easiest way to Agra (or mainly, the Taj Mahal)? Google Maps says it's like a 3-hour drive, so I doubt the taxis/rickshaws/tuktuks go that far. So train I guess? And if so, which one?
>>
Thoughts on Kashmir?

Some travelers swear that it's fine to visit, while there's still lots of people who insist that it's still dangerous.
>>
>>1298942
It's currently undergoing a lot of political unrest with occasional violent clashes, I'd personally avoid it.
>>
Just be careful if you girlfriend is white/Asian light skinned

My ex gf was pretty much traumatized with guys constantly grabbing or bumping into her to touch her. Was enough for us to shorten our trip by a week.

This is less of a problem if you're an intimidating looking person and if she covers herself up as much as she can.
>>
>>1298946
My girlfriend is ugly, so I think we're safe.
>>
>>1298946
>>1298946
Forgot to mention this moreless mostly a public transit thing. But even in Delhi theirs weird rapey moments at least once a day. She was hot and wearing a tank top though at first which basically multiplied the problem
>>
Yeah my friend was in New Dehli for only a few days and was groped
>>
>>1298947
To be safe she would have to Indian, greater than 200 lbs or have less than 2 limbs.
>>
Sounds like India is every bit as foul and disgusting as the stereotypes make it out to be (and the same goes for its people)

Why on Earth would an entire nation choose to live in such filth?
>>
>>1298946

My gf is 32H. She really wants to go to India but I haven't had the heart to tell her she'll probably get groped to death. She's a naive liberal too so would react badly if I intimated that Indian males are basically sub-human, low IQ rapeaholics
>>
>>1298978
Why do people choose to be poor?
>this is what you sound like
>>
>>1298980
Let her enjoy the cultural enrichment.
>>
>>1298997

being poor != shitting on the floor in public
>>
>>1298978
What's funny is that I live in an area with many Indian and Pakistani immigrants, and they always have something different to say.

>Oh, you'll love Punjab, it's very different from the rest of India
>The public shitting and hand-wiping is mostly a Telegu/South Indian thing, we don't do that
>Come to Pakistan, it's very safe
I find most of this difficult to believe.
>>
Spent a month in India with a group recently.

None of the women, all young, slim, white, and fairly attractive, ever got anything more than some stares and requests for photographs. We were almost entirely in New Delhi though.

I feel like the 'rapey Indian savages' meme is a bit overblown desu.
>>
>>1299250
>I feel like the 'rapey Indian savages' meme is a bit overblown desu.
It is. It's mostly the result of a very well-publicized gang rape of a tourist a few years back, but it's still quite uncommon. Being afraid of that is like being afraid to go to Europe because of terrorist attacks.
>>
>>1298941
Easiest way is to book a car, it will depend on if you just want a drop off or you want to go back that day also. I hear the roads to agra arent that great. It should cost you between Rs3000-6000 about $50-100, you can get it for cheaper if you have a local help you out and I dont mean one of those people who take you to some office.

Taking a bus/train will be cheaper but if you want to see more and get out of places faster then booking a car is better. Usually its either for 8 hours or a 300km limit. Never pay before hand, pay like 1/3rd or 1/2 and tell them you will pay the rest when they drop you off at the hotel. Id honestly suggest you only visit it for 1 day, its a hell hole with too many people.

>>1298946
>>1298948
Where you go and what transport youre using, from what is said you founds went the cheap route. Youre going to run into cheap people, its like taking the subway with homeless people, ofcourse theyre going to stare and grope your girl. You two shouldve known about india and she shouldve dressed more appropriately. If you notice, some girls have those big shawls covering their shoulders/chest. Theyre available in light weight material also. Wouldve helped her cover up a little.

>>1299250
I went to india with my white brother in law, only saw him get asked for a photo once. That was at the indian republic day celebration that was at a fort. My cousins cousin on her mom side worked as head security for the CM of the state and got them VIP passes. So he was in the 2nd row in the VVIP section, saw seen on the news and his face was in the crowd in the newspaper. Other than that no one asked him, even when we went to the town my dad is from, nor did anyone ask in the tiny ass village my great grandparents are from. Im from telangana so its not a touristy state so people dont hound white people for shit or not as much.
>>
>>1298900

>Dehli

>>1297502

I've lived here for two years and I've visited India eight times since 2013.

I am in no rush to see all of the country all at once.

In fact, I'm in Delhi right now. I had been planning to take a train from Mumbai to Kerala and stay there and travel around the South for several weeks.

Unfortunately, I was hit by a drunk driver in Pune. I have a connections with doctors in Delhi who recommended I fly here to get my surgery, since I was being rather misled by physicians in Maharashtra.

Sometimes shit happens.
>>
>>1298976
lmao

2 bad my girlfriend is white, blonde, and hot as fuck. I can't go
>>
>>1294091
Hmm, tough call. It's feasible on the 20 hour layover. I would get a driver to pick you up from the airport and take you to sites you want to see. Dehli traffic is insane.
>>
>>1300461
My girlfriend is literally like a 18 y-o Jessica Alba with bigger tits, and nobody harassed us in India.
Then again I am 6'4 300lbs (steroids) and walk around with boxing gym t-shirts n shit
>>
>>1292827
>Any advice?
Cancel your trip.
>>
I'm heading to India next year around Feburary after Sri Lanka. I'm curious about purchasing a vehicle to travel from the south all the way to the north. My question is how viable of a thing it is and will I be able to get a car? A motorbike is fine too.
>>
>>1292827
>Any advice?

dont do it
sri lanka, bhutan or the maldives instead if you absolutely have to

seriously you're gonna regret this
>>
I'm planning on taking 1-2 doses of Imodium for every day I stay in India. Is this overkill, or am I doing it right?
>>
>>1301886

Definitely overkill.

>>1301396

Not sure about getting a car, but buying a motorbike would be easy.

Just make sure you get an International Drivers License before arriving. Most companies will still rent or sell you a motorcycle without one, but it'd be wise to have on the off chance you get stopped by corrupt law enforcement (never been an issue for me in Delhi, but I've heard stories from travelers passing through rural areas).

>>1294091

Either amount of time is enough to see some of Delhi's sights, although 20 hours would be much more doable.

It also depends on what you want to see and what time your flight arrives. IME, most international flights into DEL arrive fairly late at night or very early in the morning.

If you arrive late at night, I would suggest booking a cheap hotel in Paharganj or South Delhi and ditching your bags there. Arrange with your hotel to have them send a driver to pick you up, so you don't have to deal with the typical Delhi airport tourist scams.

If you don't have much luggage -- or don't mind carrying it around -- and arrive later in the day, the Delhi Metro Airport Express provides a rapid alternative to getting into town. It's inexpensive and will get you to the middle of the city in less than 20 minutes.

Taking the Airport line all the way to New Delhi station lets you transfer to the Yellow Line of the Delhi Metro. From there, you can easily get to a lot of tourist attractions -- Jama Masjid and the Red Fort are just a couple stops and a brisk walk away.

Wouldn't really recommend >>1300462 this unless you arrange with a hotel or have a connection, since you'll get ripped off (go for it if you're rich, though).

The Delhi Metro is very fucking cheap and modern. Beats traffic most of the time, but rush hour crowds can be rough.

Hypothetical day for a 20-hour layover:

(cont)
>>
>>1302523

Actually, not gonna make an itinerary unless you specifically request one (in case you ditched the thread already).

But anyway, 20 hours would be fine for a layover. Transportation to and from IGI isn't a hassle, unless you opt to sleep somewhere very, very far away.

>>1299262

It is, but there are a lot more creeps in cities like Delhi than there are terrorists in Europe.

First time I came to India was about five years ago. I spent most days with my ex, who is Indian, and it was a regular exercise in sexual harassment and cat-calling.

I even knew a Canadian woman who was in India for medical treatment (long story). She was a little overweight, middle-age, and not particularly attractive.

She had to ask me and other guys to walk her back to her hotel on occasion, because she'd get followed down the street by a certain man who'd always try grabbing her ass and asking her to have sex.
>>
>>1302523
Just looked up the rates for ab international permit. Thanks for the tip.

Btw. How common are atms? Am I fine just bringing a card with me or should I bring a good chunk of usd to exchange while I'm traveling?
>>
>>1302657

No worries.

ATMs are abundant in most large urban areas -- you won't have any trouble in cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Agra, or Jaipur.

If you're a ways off the beaten track or in slightly less touristic areas, I'd advise taking a little extra cash. While I've never been in a situation where I couldn't find a single working ATM, the government's move toward demonitization last November has prompted some changes with banks.

So far as I can tell, fewer financial institutions are now willing to take cards issued outside of India. I used to be able to make withdrawals using Punjab National Bank, for instance, but they now decline my card.

The biggest obstacle you're likely to face is finding ATMs which will either accept your card or will accept your card without charging a fee.

Thankfully, most banks don't charge more than $2 or $3 for withdrawals made with international cards, and many ATMs in smaller cities or outside of touristic areas don't charge at all.

I've found ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, and Yes Bank to be the most reliable. Axis Bank is hit and miss, as are most of the regional banks (for instance, didn't have issues with Maharashtra Bank, but can't use PNB and some others).

CitiBank lowered its fees for international withdrawals, but their outlets aren't as common as others.

Wouldn't bother with exchanging cash. I've never done it, except in cases when I'm arriving to India from other countries I was traveling in and have excess cash from wherever I was before.

I would recommend getting maybe 2,000 - 3,000 rupees before entering India, just so you have enough for a cab and any other unexpected expenses. Sometimes the airport ATMs have trouble.
>>
>>1300474
being /fit/ has some advantages vs 5'1, 100 lbs indians
>>
>>13026u84
Once again. Thank you for the information. I asked these same questions in a previous India thread and got no answers.
>>
>>1302684
>I would recommend getting maybe 2,000 - 3,000 rupees before entering India
Is that actually possible for non-Indians to do?

I've read somewhere that Indian Rupees are a closed currency, and the only people who can possess them outside of India are citizens of India themselves.
>>
>>1302798

Yes it is possible

t. did that
>>
>>1302798

I've never had an issue doing that.

Moreover, I have a large collection of cash at home from every country I visit. I usually take the equivalent of about $20 in various bill and coin denominations as a souvenir.

Having been to India eight times, I've taken out currency upon every exit and never had any problem.

I've heard Nepal is a lot more strict, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>1292954
I second the notion on Akshardham. I'd actually say it's probably the only thing worth doing in Delhi really, I went there 3 times and in general Delhi is a shit hole, but seeing Akshardham makes it worth it.
>>
My gf and I are planning a trip to India and Nepal in April/May. Can anyone recommend places to see / things to do between Delhi and Kathmandu?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.