[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Which cities in Latin America would you recommend for someone wanting to learn Spanish?

I speak very poor Spanish and want to get it to a good level.

My priorities are climate, food, safety, cost of living, friendliness of locals.
>>
>>1303978
Mexico City (if you wait for it to clean up from the earthquake).
Guadalajara, big city, lots of convinences, safe as a big city can be. Beautiful year round climte.
Puerto Vallarta, 2nd calmest bay in the world, excellent climate, beautiful views.
Colombia and Chile are also great places.
Everywhere has a very low cost of living as long as you don't try for accommodations made for tourists/expats.
>>
Buenos Aires
Rosario
Cordoba
Santiago
Cali
Bogota
Medellin
Matagalpa
Tegucigalpa

Don’t go to the Indian countries to learn Spanish and don’t go to any gringo cities, they suck.
>>
>>1303989
chile is a pretty bad place for a beginner, you wouldn't go to rural ireland to learn english

>>1304069
>Buenos Aires
>Rosario
>Cordoba
if you want to sound gay go there
>>
OP here. Yeah, Chile looks nice but I've heard the accent is all over the place.

Any big difference between Mexican/Colombian accents? Or advice on which one would have friendlier/more helpful locals?
>>
What are good cities to learn spanish in spain?
Can rule out barcelona, b/c to many people speak english to get forced to practice spanish.
>>
>>1303978
Xela in Guatemala is known for its Spanish immersion schools. The dialect is very clean and easy on the ears. No heavy accents to deal with.
>>
>>1303978
If you want to learn Spanish, then go to Spain. All of the Latin "american" countries are corrupt shitholes that speak corrupted versions of Spanish, with outlandish accents and some tribal gibberish thrown in.
>>
>>1307060
t. Manolo
you mad as fuck because everyone learns glorious mestizo spanish instead of your faggy lispy shit talk
>>
>>1303978
I'd advocate Oaxaca, although the earthquake before last messed the place up quite a bit, sadly. Educated Mexican Spanish is very clear and attractive.

I also find Colombian Spanish quite melodious; Chilean and Argentinian varieties much less so... Chileans talk incredibly quickly in my experience, and I know many people in other parts of South America don't like the Argentine accent, since Argies have, or have had, a reputation for being snotty. I find it a little ugly. But that's just my opinion.

>>1305095
LOL? I assume you're trolling/baiting. But there is also the fact that the majority of Barcelona residents speak and prefer Catalan, which is, of course, not Spanish at all. Plus the city's being overwhelmed with tractors at the moment demanding an independence referendum.
>>
>>1303978
Ecuador
Come here white man i'll teach you
>>
>>1306916
I agree with this, I actually learned Spanish here and it's cheap
>>
>>1307153
What's the social side of life there like? Culture, people, traditions, food etc?

>>1307060
More expensive and less fun
>>
>>1307931
Social life in Xela pretty much revolves around the Spanish school you're in. If you're young then you'll make friends easily. While Xela is the second largest city in Guatemala it has almost no nightlife to speak of.

The culture is varied as it is in the heart of Guatemalan Mayan country. Expect there to be large groups of natives just outside the city that don't speak Spanish or English. Food is your typical pollo with rice and beans.
>>
Unironically La Paz, Bolivia.

>Climate
Well its cold most of the time, but you never know, its like 20C at 9am and -12C at 3PM
>Food
AMAZING, best food ever and a lot of dishes too
>Safety
Pretty safe, unlike Santa Cruz, bolivia, where you watch HueHuehue shooting at each other at 10am
>Cost of living
You can eat a lunch, soup+main Dish at 1,5$
A room for a month around 40$
>Friendliness
People is nice here.

Probably the biggest problem here is telecommunication. Internet and Cable TV are kind of expensive and very limited. Also if you want to learn spanish, its pretty good since La Paz have a pretty neutral accent.
>>
>>1307985
eh, sounds ok but i'd want an interesting city and the chance to have a social life outside of the school bubble.
>>
>>1308003
>La Paz, Bolivia.
The Darien gap is the only thing keeping me from driving my camper van down there this winter.
>>
>>1303978
I have been listening to spanish lessons on tape and its helping.
Just get one thats a little too hard for you and listen over and over on your commute.
>>
bunp
>>
>>1309672
what's the name of the series you've used? been looking for something for a while
>>
>>1310270
right now I am doing Understanding Spanish Conversations by Joe Kozlowski .
Its not great but it was cheap in audible
Pretty short and she speaks pretty fast but its helping
>>
>>1303978
also interested - whats the deal with peru? am i gonna develop a fucked up accent learning there? are there (m)any liveable cities?
>>
>>1304280
There are dozens of different accents inside Mexico, and probably it's similar in Colombia. But Chile it's in another league, don't go to Chile for learn spanish.
>>
>>1311083
people from the Peruvian coast speak the purest Spanish in the Americas. it's a point of pride for them. the third largest city in the hemisphere is Lima, and is livable in all categories.
>>
>>1303978
I would suggest Mexico, but not northern cities, and neither Mexico City if safety is a priority for you. Go to Oaxaca, Guanajuato or Guadalajara (mexican states/cities).
>>
>>1303978
Which is your mother tongue, anon?
>>
Not to beat it to death but theres a reason /trv/ loves Medellín. There are a fucktin of expats, travelers and Spanish schools but still nothing is catered to English and you will have to speak Spanish. A wonderful city
>>
>>1311644
How expensive is it to live?
>>
>>1311584
English. I'm from the UK
>>
>>1311644

>>1311752
2nd...
?
>>
come to el bronx papi

we got you for this

nuyorican = best spanish
>>
>>1307105

ahahaha

that fukin homo vosotros shite. thats the spanish version of sounding like you from england.
>>
>>1304069
why would you possibly list a bunch of citys in argentina as the best to learn spanish? spanish in argentina is probably the most difficult in all of latin america
>>
>>1303978
Rio de Janeiro
>>
>>1314083
r u joking

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.