[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 34592075143_bb292af2e5_k.jpg (883 KB, 2048x1365)
883 KB
883 KB JPG
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/
>Note that most of these companies are owned by the same group so behave.

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1304120
>>
File: IMG_1679.jpg (110 KB, 750x1334)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
398 yen from a supermarket
>>
What are some cool Airbnbs with great views in Tokyo?
>>
>>1307779
a jpg? i can get those free all over this board
>>
File: IMG_1879.jpg (1.93 MB, 4032x3024)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>1307784

Your mom's pussy weeboo fag
>>
>>1307778
supermarket sushi is not awful but i urge you to try some mid or high midend sushi

the supermarkets and kaiten places use chemicals to stop the rice from going soggy and the fish becomes exposed to air

the difference is like stale bread and reheated food
>>
My gf & I am doing hotel mystery shopping in Japan in December (we don't get paid, but accomodation is free, we just pay for flights and food etc), Here are the cities I have to stay at: Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo, Yokosuka, Naha (Okinawa)

I'm Australian, don't really know much about Japan.

I won't ask "what to do", I'm googling that as I type this, but in general, how should I allocate time in the above cities? the hotel bookings are flexible so I can spend more or less time wherever suits, looking at going for about 2 weeks in total.
>>
>>1307799
Where are you flying from in Australia?
>>
>>1307773
Anyone know the photographer / source?
>>
>>1307805
Not sure about that particular pic, but looks like a Masashi Wakui or Liam Wong
>>
How does Hakuba compare to Hokkaido in terms of ski fields?
>>
>>1307782
https://www.airbnb.at/rooms/9688339

stayed in this, would recommend. The view on the picture isn't actually as good as IRL
>>
Is this a good plan? Will 10,000 pounds last me for this?

>1 month in Tokyo airbnb
>1 month in Osaka airing
> 1 month in 3 separate airbnb's around the country

I have a few more months to make that money. Is it doable?
>>
>>1307820
Thanks but I couldn't find the listing :(
>>
File: Film5486_04.jpg (3.15 MB, 3089x2048)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
>>1307826
ah yeah looks like it's gone :c a shame, was really nice
>>
...Anonymous
Japanese Ryokan Experiences
10/02/17(Mon)02:16:05 No.1307584
42 KB
42 KB JPG
I was wondering if you guys would be able to share your experiences at Ryokans in Japan. I'm looking to spend a night in a ryokan in January, in the snowy mountains in either Kinazawa, Takayama, Nagano, etc. around there.
Some things I wanted out of the place were:
- simple traditional style japanese room, where they serve you dinner in your room, and you sleep on a futon.
- an outdoor onsen, hopefully with rocks and a view of foliage or snowy mountains, perhaps something like the picture I've attached
I've already looked through a bunch of potential ryokans, but most have limited reviews and I'm finding hard to gauge the quality of a lot of them
Thanks for any responses
>>
Have any of you guys been to the Anime Japan convention? Wanted to see if it was worth checking out, despite the long lines.

Trying to plan my yearly trip to Japan for next year, and debating if I should time it when Anime Japan 2018 is. Only have a week, so I'm thinking about just staying around the Tokyo area and checking out places there I haven't had a chance to explore yet, and maybe stay at a Ryokan.

If Anime Japan isn't worth it, I'll probably move up my trip to February.
>>
File: 20171002_191618.jpg (4.62 MB, 5312x2988)
4.62 MB
4.62 MB JPG
So I was in a rush today and accidentally let the chick give me a return ticket from Tokyo to Narita on which she wrote 10/7 - problem is I don't leave until the 17th.

Are these tickets actually dated somewhere, or can I still use them on the 17th?

8000¥ is a lot of fucking money for a useless piece of paper.
>>
Any advice on travelling in japan as a first timer? I'm starting to learn the language and want some advice. Planning on staying in a place in tokyo for a few weeks and using a JR pass to go around the country
>>
>>1307836
Pfff. They're only valid until the 15th - if anybody here happens to need a ticket to Narita between the 7th and 15th, I'll sell 'em to you. Otherwiae I'll have to try to refund them at a JR booth.
>>
>>1307804
We're based in Sydney but are flying out via Melbourne, it is $500 cheaper that way
>>
Heading there for the first time later this month. Sort of nervous since I'll be going solo, but should be fun I hope
>>
>>1307837
You can buy cheap matcha ice cream in the ice cream vending machines. It's good, try it.
>>
WTF WHY ARE THERE GIGANTIC SPIDERS FUCKING EVERYWHERE?!?!?!?!?!?!
>>
>>1307835
I don't regret going but it wasn't really worth it. I don't speak much Japanese so I couldn't really enjoy the events. All I could do was wonder around the packed-as-fuck show floor. I guess if you're big into cosplay it might be worth it but aside from that I'd move my trip to February when it's slightly cheaper to go.
>>
Any recommended restaurants in Shinjuku?.
>>
Planning on going to Wrestle Kingdom next year, however it seems like the first week of January is a shit time to visit Japan. Can anyone recommend me some other stuff to do during that time?
>>
>>1307824
yes it is if you dont go party every night. take it easy and you will have an awesome time
Spent 2 months in Japan and 2 weeks in HK with ~7000 pounds, i went out every night drinking and tho. Met awesome people and girls but my body hates me.
>>
just booked a trip to Tokyo next March so gotta plan what to do, doing 2 days disneyland tokyo for sure then 3 days in tokyo. akibahara shopping and possibly manda nakano. last time I preferred Denden to Akiba but we'll see. Harajuku street for some /cgl/ then onto meiji shrine probably... up in the air from there.

We leave Sunday at 5pm so I have some time to kill that AM. Was thinking Onsen, looks like the Oeedo Onsen isn't too far from my airbnb. Have any fatties done onsen? Ooedo seems to give you yukata but my travelling partner is a big guy and not sure they can accommodate. Trying to avoid embarrassing gaffs...
>>
Has anyone here played Magic the Gathering in Japan, or can comment on the card shops there? I'm thinking about bringing my EDH deck or playing a few drafts while I'm there. I've heard that board games are also pretty popular, but mostly euro stuff.
>>
>>1307920
The golden orb weave spiders or whatever they're called? It's just the time of year that they're in abundance. They'll disappear when it gets cold.
>>
>>1307807
Found it, some guy named RaptorJesuss/Darion

Pretty cool photos.
>>
Alright guys, I leave tomorrow and I'm going to be in Okazaki (small town near Nagoya) for two weeks. I plan to pack a weeks worth of clothes, basic hygiene items, my laptop and some other personal items. Anything out of the ordinary I should bring? Also, any tips, anecotes or just things I should be aware of that I can't just look up? Any input is appreciated.
>>
I have many questions;

- bunny island in late November / early Dec, will it be too cold, does the ferry still operate?
- can anyone recommend a good sake brewery tour?
- thoughts on universal studios, worth it or nah? Especially from a rides perspective
- thoughts on kawaii monster cafe, someone gave me a bad review of it but maybe it just wasn't their taste
- is there anything to do in Hiroshima apart from the atomic bomb museum and the castle?
- onsen in Beppu, Tokyo or Kyoto that are 1. 'natural' or at least reasonably nice, some I went to in Osaka was basically just a variety of public hit tubs and nothing special. And 2. Isn't weird about tattoos.

Any other recommendations or tips for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Beppu, Fukuoka, Hiroshima and Nagasaki in early December, keeping in mind I've already seen a lot of the tourist stuff in the first three cities before.
>>
>>1308099
>- thoughts on universal studios, worth it or nah? Especially from a rides perspective
I haven't gone personally, but I've heard from a colleague that it's very good.
>>
>>1307998
Weird, I'm literally reading this at my game store about to play edh
>>
>>1308099
Beppu is a shithole, go to Yufuin or Kurokawa instead if you want decent onsen
>>
>>1307998
Yellow Submarine Akihabara RPG Shop Sells cards and also has tables for playing. I only went there while accompanying a friend so i don't know anything more though.
>>
>>1307946
I'm going around that time as well. Some
wrestling promotions run shows around WK.
>>
>>1308099
Universal Studios Japan, or USJ, is almost the same as the Hollywood and Florida ones. If you have never been to one, definitely go during a weekday. If you enjoy Japanese pop culture, definitely go. They have a good selection of faster paced and thrilling rides too, but be prepared for crazy wait times on weekends and holidays. If you like Harry Potter, let me know and I'll tell you where you can get the ticket to enter and stay. Harry Potter is so popular you need to go to a kiosk, scan your ticket, pick a time slot, then head to that park area during your allocated time.
>>
Anyone been to yoshiwara soapland before?
>>
How much time would you recommend for Sendai? Any day trips worth taking to the nearby area?
>>
>>1307956
Thanks for the response anon. did you also stay at airbnbs and eat out regularly as a lot of people say that it's a necessity really. This is such a big decision in my life
>>
>>1308124
Keen in Harry potter desu, I'd be interested. Haven't been to a universal anywhere before so it sounds like it might be worth a go for the day. I heard about the wait times which is what turned me off
>>1308114
What's wrong with Beppu?

Ty for the replies trv
>>
>>1308167
it's run down, sleazy, boring and the onsen aren't really spectacular, probably the worst I've been to in the country.
>>
is tokyo worth the extra cost of living?

im going on a working holiday visa, been to kanto and kansai regions and osaka seems tempting coz its lit and also cheaper thank tokyo but i have mates of mates in japan i can hang out w so i have a starting point in terms of a social circle

thx for ur input :)
>>
I'm living in China at the moment and going to Tokyo on vacation for a week in the middle of October. I got my flight for 350 bucks, and an airbnb for the same price. So far it seems cheaper than I would have thought, mostly thanks to the proximity to China reducing the airfare. How much should I figure on metro, train, and food costing on top of all that? I don't plan to leave the city of Tokyo the whole time I'm there.
>>
Japan experience, been living here for about two months (Specifically Sakai, southern Osaka)

The good:
-It's very clean and tidy
-Things are very convenient, you're never far away from somewhere to grab food/beer/smokes/whatever at any time of night
-Some of the food is good, some of it I've found to be an acquired taste
-People can be very friendly (Like everywhere really)
-Some really stunning countryside and really cool cities to wander around in at night lost in translation style
-Good for weeby types I guess...

The Bad
-Japan's a very repressed society. You know how characters act crazy and spazzy in anime? I never realised how much of an escapist thing that is until I came here. I kind of find how society works here to be pretty suffocating. Sometimes you don't really feel like you're interacting with real people because there are all these layers of etiquette and protocol separating you.
-If you don't speak the language, you're gona have a hard time. This is a no-brainer.
-Shit's expensive
-People can be kind of racist towards foreigners and you'll always feel like an outsider.
-If you're into your drugs, warehouse parties, whatever, also would not recommend living here. You'll have to curb your enthusiasm for that stuff or look elsewhere.
-
Overall rating of Japan right now - 5.5/10. My contract ends in March (teaching English here cos duh what else) and when that's up I'm moving back home. If you're not fluent in Japanese you can pretty much forget about getting a job in anything other than teaching, so your future here as a foreigner is generally really limited too. I don't really enjoy teaching much (have to project fake bouncy happy self all day which is really mentally exhausting) so yea that's my review. I'm sure it's great for a holiday though.
>>
>>1307998
CCGS are extremely popular here. No idea about MTG but I know Yu Gi Oh and shit's huge
>>
Would i be able to drink in bars as a 19 year old? Anyone been Id checked?
>>
File: IMG_1862.png (639 KB, 779x720)
639 KB
639 KB PNG
Guys I'm in the fucking airport about to board right now I'm nervous as fuck AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>1308231
Break out Anki and relax.

...you did learn some Japanese, right?
>>
>>1308235
Nope
>>
>>1307725
My only note is that most things in Nakano Broadway close kinda early (5-6ish), so it's not a great night activity. It's an awesome place though, so I still recommend visiting at some point.
>>
>>1307998
Hareruya is the biggest MTG shop there, and it's certainly worth a visit. If you wander around Akiba and poke into enough stores, you can get some serious deals. Any shop that stocks CCGs is likely to have at least a bit of MTG stuff, usually Standard, Modern, and Legacy staples. EDH isn't yet as popular over there, so EDH staples are often comparatively cheaper. Look through dollar rare boxes and stuff.
>>
>>1308239
mate you're fucked if you're travelling alone
>>
File: 1331010334685.png (342 KB, 600x600)
342 KB
342 KB PNG
>japan-guide has shut down
>>
>>1308255
it hasn't
>>
>>1308252
Are you really fucked if you don't speak japanese? I mean learning a few common phrases is polite and highly recommendable but you don't actually need to speak the language do you?
>>
>>1308182
Only reason your ticket to japan is so cheap is because of the tension with the republic of north korea.
>>
>>1308295
Different anon here, but yes its genereally hard to get around if you dont know the language. I got lucky cause i made some friends before i came here. There is a device you can pick up at the airport. Its like a small ipod shuffle 1st gen where you speak into it in english and auto translate to jap voice. Not sure how good it is since i didnt feel like i needed it. I believe its called lili or someshit, worth checking out if you are a バカ外人
>>
>>1308295
As a tourist? No. There's heaps of places that don't cater to English speakers for sure, especially in the countryside (eg. Museums, train stations, busses, stores etc. Won't have English a lot of the time) but it's entirely possible to figure it out on your own without actually speaking Japanese. Most people are surprisingly happy to help out (especially young people) if you ask for help. Had an old dude literally leave his counter at a 7/11 or something to walk me to a train station despite him not speaking a bit of English. I wish it was appropriate to give him money because it was super nice.
>>
>>1308295
>Are you really fucked if you don't speak japanese?

No but outside major cities you may have a hard time getting service at some places. And by that I mean ordering food may be limiting unless you can point to pictures. I traveled to some remote towns knowing basic anime level japanese mannerisms and had literally no trouble aside from 2 places where I got mixed up on some things, never wasn't not helped it was just kinda awkward.

To add onto this >>1308304 google translate is your friend for anything not english. Most everyone under 40 will speak some level of English if for nothing else getting you a room and food.

>I mean learning a few common phrases is polite and highly recommendable but you don't actually need to speak the language do you?

Next time I go I'd know a bit more japanese for restaurants which 90% of the time was my hang up for ordering dishes. Body language probably goes farther than most places I've been to, a clean shaven face, decent clothes and combed hair will get you far.
>>
Why are all Japanese musicians groups, ie. Boy band or girl band? There's very few solo artists. What's with that?
>>
>>1308350
Not sure I understand what you are asking
>>
>>1308350
Depends on where you're looking. All my favorite Japanese artists are individuals
>>
File: 34-Meet-16-02-1200x800.jpg (606 KB, 1200x800)
606 KB
606 KB JPG
Has anyone been to the car meet on the island under the Yokohama bridge?

What time and day should I go to get the "best" experience for the car meet?
>>
>>1307785
where'd you take this pic?
>>
>>1308353
Well, the top eg. 40 songs in the US are primarily by solo artists (eg. Taylor Swift, Ed sheeran, future etc. Whatever) whereas the top 40 in Japan are primarily by groups (eg. lol, fhana, BTS, blacpink and numerous other girl/boy bands).

There's a very distinct difference between western groups (which seem to be primarily dominated by solo artists) compare to popular Japanese music which is dominated by 90s style boy and girl groups, of which I cant think of any popular boy or girl groups in western music that exist right now and are popular. I want to know if there's a reason for this difference.
>>
>>1308365
Japanese have a high IQ.
American bullshit about "weed n bitchiz, me shoot u in face, yo" doesn't fly.
>>
>>1308365
A lot has to just do with marketing
>>
>>1308365
Differences in culture?
Boy and girl groups in the US were a fad but mostly died off and record companies don't want to take the risk
Meanwhile in Japan, groups like Babymetal, AKB, etc live on because there's still a thriving idol culture and they're still selling tons of albums
>>
>>1308377
>>1308378
you guys missed my post >>1308374
>>
>>1308374
I love a good bitches and marijuana song as much as the next negroid
>>1308377
>>1308378
Exactly, it was a fad in the west, what is the underlying cultural reason for the continuing success of group bands in Japan (and even Korea and China). It's clearly an Asian localised thing but I can't think of a logical reason why.
>>
Lads

>24
>On business trip to Hong Kong//Shenzhen to meet with suppliers
>Trip is soon, realize that I have 2 vacation days left this year and better use them
>Ask travel to see if I can get cheaper airfare than nominal to have a personal stop in Japan, it works out that my total trip with the personal extension's airfare is $500 cheaper than the direct ORD--HKG//HKG--ORD flights
>Japan airfare is free

I'm arriving in Tokyo late on Friday night the 20th, and will be leaving at ~5pm on Tuesday the 24th. The Airbnb I booked is in 世田谷区, close to 渋谷区. I'm trying to work out what to do here, I figured out I could do this today and decided to do it on a whim. I haven't been to Japan before. Did I fuck up by booking a place in Setagaya? I looked around trying to figure out where the best places are, but couldn't really decide what part of town sounded best. I'm looking around right now for what's going on in Tokyo during those times if there's anything special, but if anyone has suggestions to anything or any day trips from Tokyo, I'm all ears.

Like and subscribe :^)
>>
>>1308383
Honestly you kinda picked a shitty spot that's away from most fun places unless you just want night life. The trains are pretty efficient so you should be able to get to anywhere in tokyo easily, not sure what you're into
>>
>>1307773
Best/reasonably priced love hotels in Osaka? Pic related
>>
>>1308390
Cool it with the lols you fucking nerd
>>
>>1308395
japanese women love that shit as well as overuse of emojis
>>
>>1308395
She responds to it well lol
>>
>>1308396
It seems to be that way...
>>
>>1308387

Fortunately, it's closer to Shibuya than to the middle of Setagaya. Closest station is 池尻大橋駅.

I would like to go see some gardens and/or a bunch of old stuff, most likely look at a few museums. I'm going to have to get over to Edogawa at some point to go look at a bonsai nursery. This weekend is going to involve a lot of planning time. I'm going to be going on my own, with my sparse knowledge of /djt/ Japanese and as much cramming of Anki and the DoJG as I can between now and then. I hope I make it.

>>1308390
Gz
>>
Is it common for males and females to travel to Japan solo? I know it's mostly safe there, but I guess I'm starting to get cold feet about my upcoming solo trip. Seems like most people go in big groups or on tours, but I don't want to do that
>>
>>1308411
It's just a social thing I think. My friends can't believe I go solo, but they're also extroverted normalfags who can't sit still for ten minutes.

The freedom that comes with going solo - not having to worry about other people and what they're doing or if they're having fun - is priceless.
>>
>>1308411
Japan is a pretty good country for a solo trip. Convenient trains, safe, etc.
>>
>>1308411
>Is it common for males and females to travel to Japan solo?

50/50 I met many people in groups and some not in groups. It's completely safe to travel solo, and personally I had more fun with doing solo trips. It will honestly come down to what you are going to japan for. Hiking and one off adventures were way more fun solo since I had freedom of just going "oh that looks neat I wanna go there".
>>
What are some good bars/izayakas to visit in osaka?
>>
>>1308411
There pretty much no muslims in Japan, you will be safe even as a female.
>>
>>1308435
Its safe because there are no white men with assault rifles
>>
>>1308424
>>1308452
It is safe because they made it safe, just like both of you can do if you fuck off.
>>
File: DF43256.jpg (76 KB, 960x720)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1308239
>>1308252
Don't listen to this anon. I went last year on a solo travel without knowing Japanese and all went smooth.
>>
>>1308415
This 10000% I fucking hate traveling with other people, even people I'm close to, because you always have to worry about them, their judgments and whether they want to do what you want to do. It also makes it harder to hook up if that's your thing.
>>
>>1307773
eurofag here, gonna travel to japan next year!
how many months in advance should i book my flight?
>>
>>1308518
>>
>>1308146
i used Osaka as a hub and stayed at Apple House in Daikokucho. Its a tiny single-room in an apartment building but very cheap.
Airbnb is a bit pricier but you can find great rooms for little money. Stayed at 3 or 4 in Japan and it was awesome. Really never went to a hotel in Japan again since 2014, and i am there 2-3 times a year.
>>
File: 1449352082293.jpg (163 KB, 559x627)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
Help plz
How realistic is it to get a job on a work&travel program in Japan without any/only minimum language knowledge?
I want to go for a work&travel trip, but my buddy is pretty adamant about going to Japan, he learned the language for 2 years now at university.
Me on the other hand cant speak any japanese at all, but I'd still go because I like the country.
Is there any chance this could work?
>>
>>1308415
exactly the same my friends ask me (extroverted fucks as well)

my first trip to Japan back in 09 was with one of my best friends.
He spoke too loud on the train and after i told him to shut up and explained why he got pissed. Other stuff happened as well.
He wanted to do other stuff than i so we agreed to do separate things during the day and meet up in the evening for a beer.
Fuck this shit.
Never went there with a friend again and it was awesome all the time.
Met great people at bars, from all over the world as well as locals to drink with and hooking up is waaaay easier too because you dont have to worry about your dick friend.
>>
>>1308543
No.
>>
>>1308526
That's a really good idea anon thank you so much, i'm guessing the costs include utilities and such?

so in terms of costs it's just the rent and food?
>>
Can I rent a pocket wifi unit at Narita airport without ordering beforehand?
>>
I'm thinking about going to Tokyo some time next year for an extended period of time. I'm pretty well versed with the travelling, culture and how everything works because I've been six or seven times, and visit most of the country.

However, this time, I would like to be more 'settled,' so I can experience life there and practice the language to conversational fluency (I can hold up conversations intelligibly though probably riddled with grammatical mistakes). Nonetheless, I would still take a few weeks off to relax in the cities I've not been in and in onsen towns.

My question is this: I would like to find some way to somewhat support myself or at least earn some cash for food, preferably music related work if that's possible? I understand that I wouldn't have the appropriate visas nor the language proficiency to obtain proper part-time job in convenience stores etc, so I'm wondering if it is possible to do ad hoc/ informal/ freelance/ odd jobs while I'm there?

As I am pursuing a career in music, I thought that it would be nice if I could busk, but I'm not sure about the legality of it? Otherwise, perhaps do gigs, or help out with bands for some pocket money. Maybe any one of you guys are there and into music, we could start try something?

Another option would be a rather long-term homestay, for cultural/language exchange, but I don't know where to start looking. I've read about farm stays and working on the fields in exchange for food and lodging, does anyone have experience in that? In that case, I wouldn't mind being out of tokyo (I chose tokyo for the youthful scene).

I apologise for the wordy post, but I've decided that this is something I want to do. I really admire the civilisation.

If it helps, I'm a 20 year old singaporean chinese, and I am fluent in both english and chinese. I play the piano and guitar and I like to think I can sing.

Thanks /trv/
>>
>>1308558
Depends on which pocket wi-fi company you're using
>>
>>1308563
Nobody wants to hear your shit music. Please lose the idea of busking asap.
>>
>>1307773
Where can I make yakuza friends? 6'4" /fit/izen white person here
>>
>>1308575

Sure, it was just a thought. Do you have suggestions as to ad hoc odd work I can do though?
>>
I know that Japan is very cash-based but, how much? I'm staying in the Tokyo area for a week and only took out $500 worth of yen. My credit card's cash advance fees are too crazy high, but I don't have fees for foreign transtions.
Should I just exchange more yen or are there a reasonable amount of stores that take credit cards?
>>
>>1308638
Small bars usually don't accept credit cards. Take 100€ dollars with you and you will be safe.
>>
>>1308390
Just google it, but around dotonbori iss a hot tip, lots of hostess-clubs there, and also around shinsekai south of denden town. But she'll know.
>>
I have little to no Japanese, but either way, is it possible to tell a shop in Akihabara to hold a figure for you? I'm in Tokyo for my first and last week in Japan and I feel like caring my haul around the rest of the country is going to be a hassle.
>>
>>1308674
Also, will my experience be better with a combination of me planning each day fully before leaving my place and stumbling around until I figure things out or just dropping the cash for portable wi-fi?
>>
Hey, what should I get for breakfast from the convinience store?
>>
I will be 'surviving' on 125-150 USD a day. The survival meme was coined by some guys over on Japan Travel Reddit.

>reddit
Yeah, its a lot more active than this but the amount of fucking SJWs on that forum is astounding.

So I'll ask here. Dating culture... I plan to meet a few girls. Should meeting them for the first time be done with my friend and I? My friend is a male.

Or should I invite them for solo? Also, is hugging the first time you meet them a big no-no?
>>
>>1308684
Onigiri
>>
>>1308663
First dates in a hostess bar?

Wut?
>>
>>1307773
>you will never live in Nagoya and will enjoy breakfast in a local kissaten

Why live ;_;
>>
Someone please suggest me cool live houses or venues or facebook pages that host events around shibuya and shinjuku. Any type of music is good and preferably an entrance fee that's not too high. Thank you.
>>
File: IMAG3177.jpg (1.18 MB, 1520x2688)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Can anyone recommend cheap accommodation for a few days?

Thinking about going for Halloween and the weekends I'll take an Airbnb so friends can crash but the weekdays I don't mind a hostel or room share.

Any recommendations in a good area? Best Halloween events?
>>
>>1308723
Crashing in a internet cafe for 2000 yen a night is usually cheap. If you don't mind staying outside downtown you should be able to score a hostel for around that near taito
>>
>>1308685
But 150 usd its a lot right? or are you cheaping accomodation on that
>>
>>1308739
People grossly overestimate exactly how much you can live off per day. I think people just forget to use their feet to get from point a to b. 100 dollars a day is enough to do most things in japan and eat fairly well too.
>>
How exactly does JET work? I'm literally just now starting to look into it, my fiancee and I were thinking of doing a year or so in Japan anyway after college so it seemed like a perfect fit. Do they provide housing? Do I need to pay for my fiancee to come myself? The website really doesn't have much info beyond the application requirements.
>>
>>1307773
How does one go about planning a multi-county trip across Japan, I guess this question could apply to any other country as well.

But strictly speaking, I'm an individual who doesn't like to stay around in one area for too long, and visit another big city. So say I land in Tokyo, and want to visit Osaka, then Hiroshima, but have no specified time frame for how long I'll stay in that city. How does this work for a foreigner coming from far away. I guess the biggest fear is being forced into a really expensive hotel, or worst yet, no hotel at all.

Can anyone share experiences and / or stories?

Pic not related.
>>
>>1308204

What a blindingly stupid post.
I can tell you never actually lived here.
>>
>>1308750
When I did my tour of Japan I used trip advisor, reddit, and trv(and some anime locations). The train/rail system in japan is stupidly efficient for what you'll want to do. Busses are also a usual cheap option and often pretty clean. A JR pass is usually the best way for a cost effective way of getting around. a 21 day pass looks expensive, but can also be used on both rail and bus routes.

> I guess the biggest fear is being forced into a really expensive hotel, or worst yet, no hotel at all.

Hostels are everywhere in japan, airbnb is common, and at worst you can always get an internet cafe for the night(much have showers).

For the end of my trip I just used google and train routes to go to some fun places, day rail passes are really nice to keep and fairly cheap
>>
>>1308745
JET pretty much holds your hand in every respect. They provide housing, but if you're bringing your partner over, you'll have to bear the costs (why would they pay for her?).
>>
>>1308751

but that describes japan accurately you dumb weboo
>>
>>1308790
Not him, but I disagree with

>-If you don't speak the language, you're gona have a hard time. This is a no-brainer.
>-Shit's expensive
>-People can be kind of racist towards foreigners and you'll always feel like an outsider.

and honestly,
>-If you're into your drugs, warehouse parties, whatever, also would not recommend living here. You'll have to curb your enthusiasm for that stuff or look elsewhere.
Is a plus side.
>>
>>1308792
He's not exactly wrong though. You can disagree but the points he made are fairly valid.

>-If you don't speak the language, you're gona have a hard time. This is a no-brainer.
Not sure how you can even disagree with this, sure for a non-native English country Japan is easier to navigate for the most part, but it can still be hard outside larger cities.

>-Shit's expensive
Still accurate, compared to the US anyways getting the same amount of food/goods/supplies. Transportation costs can also add up fairly quickly if not careful, and cost of living when compared to wages can be quite bad.

>-People can be kind of racist towards foreigners and you'll always feel like an outsider.
Japanese people will still not want to deal with foreigners, usually they will still act nice to you in bigger cities; countrysides less so.
>>
>>1308792

1. tokyo is expensive....the rent is ridiculously high...but i guess your parents pay your shit

2. you will have a hard time making friends with japanese because most don't speak english and the women that do speak english are the type of sluts you don't want to be friends with. i've fucked sluts all over but the momeny i got to japan i got gonnorhea from a japanese slut

3. japanese people can be racist and intolerable of foreigners that don't speak japanese

so what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
Japan is a good place to visit and can be cheaper when compared to other places in visit, but in context of working/living there? Yeah, I'll pass.
>>
So I decided to actually look it up since this gets brought up so damn often.

>For the first quarter of 2015, the average rent in Tokyo's 23 wards was 97,000yen (about $802) per month.

That's fucking nothing. Is everyone here a ruralite or something?
>>
>>1308799
That's going to be shared accommodation or what is essentially a slum. People usually want the same quality of life, and in Tokyo, that is going to cost you.
>>
>>1308799
Those room sizes are pretty small, and for traveling that still kind of high.

Like >>1308802 said those prices are going to be in lower income areas and or small sized places. I mean 350 sqr feet? face it you're buying a walk in bed room and closet kitchen. Friend of mine is doing a year in Japan and the places he is having to end up staying are hole in the walls usually very far from the cities.
>>
>>1308804
For a world class city, it is relatively cheap.
>>
>>1308825
It was world class about 20 years ago. Now I would say it is barely a modern city.
>>
>>1308825
>>1308831
AND the place you are living in for that price is basically just a bedroom.
>>
>>1308825
Are we looking at the same amount of square footage?
>>
>>1308831
Some places in the city are modern, some places arent, like every city.

>>1308832
I don't see how that is relevant when the comparison of cost is based on cost per square foot.
>>
>>1308831
Let me ask this then What do supposedly more modern cities have that Tokyo doesnt. Meme shit like Dubai?
>>
>>1308795
what an absolute faggot you are. Like it needs to be said but please dont listen to this dipshit.
>>
>>1308674
why don't you just buy it in the last week?
>>
>>1308859
Diversity.
>>
>>1308859
Japan in general really hasn't had much of an update since the 90's. They still run on a fucking cash economy.
>>
>>1308685
If you do double dating, sure bring your friend over. If not, then leave him home. Don't be a fucking creep and tell you're into asian chicks. Don't expect them to put out on a first date either. When greeting, just let her take the lead and just follow up on what she intents to do. I went on a successful tinderdate with this girl from Tokyo and when we greeted she just did a little wave with her hand.
>>
>>1308350
Japan has a collectivist society as opposed to an individualistic culture which is common in America.

>>1308167
If you like Harry Potter, go. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan, but it is pretty interesting. With your regular park ticket head to "Central Park". There will be a few kiosks and a line that moves quickly. You scan your ticket, put in how many people are in your party, and choose your time available time slot. Go to Harry Potter during the time on your ticket, they'll scan it and you can enjoy the area. They only do it during busy days so if you go during a super slow day don't be surprised the kiosks are closed. I recommend USJ's website, they have an English option that explains it all if you have more questions.
>>
Being weeb I am, I'm on my first day of my week-long vacation in japan. But this being my first big travel abroad, I went with travel agency and they built itinerary for me. And I planned to go along with it to get used to japan and maybe go full weeb next time I'm in japan.
But for some freaky reason, the travel agency put my hotel in Nippori, which is 10 minutes away from Akibahara. And I went there today to get a quick taste. And now I want MORE!! Fuck the itinerary.
/blog

tl;dr; Best way to enjoy Akihabara in shortest amount of time. I think day is maximum I can give it.
>>
>>1308751
No, he's lived there. Sakai is where his company sends all the new employees that you know are going to suck at their teaching job and struggle to complete their six month contract, but hey you need a warm body with a foreign face. Sakai teachers are usually young, inexperienced with working any job, and have little motivation to improve or adapt to a new culture. Maybe this anon isn't like this, but it's just something I've noticed from that area.

>>1308685
I'm not trying to be harsh, but why would a woman want to be surprised with two strange men when she agreed to meet only one? And why would she want a stranger touching her upon immediately meeting them? No and no. Get to know her and see if she even likes you before you try being so friendly.
>>
>>1308870
you don't need more than a day. Just check the usual shops (animate, Mandrake, Melon Books if you're into that etc.), maybe go to a Maid cafe (Maid dreamin for example). Also the radio whatever tower on the eastern (?) exit of Akihabara station is pretty nice.

Sucks you fell for the travel agency meme, could have saved money and had more freedom (Akihabara for example closes the road on Sunday so it all becomes a huge pedestrian zone)
>>
>>1308872
I went with travel agency due to my total lack of experience traveling. And I get people on phone who speak my language in case problems arise.

I forgot to mention that once I heard here that Akihabara has become a tourist trap (can confirm, tons of tourists there) and that there are only few places that remain "true" to the otaku culture.
>>
>>1308874
Tons of tourists does not necessarily mean tourist trap. Its like calling the Great Wall of China a tourist trap.
>>
>>1308875
Parts of the wall are tourist traps.
>>
>>1308874
I get that, but you're in a 1st world country with still a big part of the population speaking English. Can't be changed now but I'm sure you'll see how easy it would have been to do it alone after the trip.

As far as Akihabara, as another anon said, yes there are a lot of tourists, but mainly still Japanese. If you're looking for an electronics mecca as in the 80s, it's not that anymore, but it's still the #1 spot for weeb stuff
>>
>>1308882
>big part of the population speaking English
>Japan
>English
You mean Engrish, right?
>>
>>1308882
Japan has one of the worst rates of English in Asia.
>>
>>1308892
>>1308910
I know, but if you really have an issue, it's not like you're in a small village in Turkmenistan or something. Especially in major cities there will always be someone who can assist you
>>
>>1308795
>so what the fuck are you talking about?

Same question to you. I did not experience these problems, though to be fair I didn't live there. I have talked with people who lived there for years, including one American/Spanish couple who taught in Kyushu, and their experience was completely different from yours as well. So at this point I think you're just a faggot and nobody wants to be around you.

Not to mention, anyone claiming Japanese are racist are talking out of their ass unless they are non-Japanese asians.
>>
>>1308924
Admittedly our experience may be different because we're playing on 'kawaii little girl easy modo' but I've been around some pretty fuckin' rural corners of Japan lately and not had a single problem getting around with the most basic Japanese phrases. Not a single side-eye or hesitation to help us out.

Hell, we keep getting store discounts for promos/apps we don't even understand. Some girl out with her boyfriend gave me her store membership card with accrued credit for free gifts.

I can't honestly imagine anyone in this country going out of their way to be impolite unless you were being a shit in the first place.
>>
>>1308924

hey retard you just admitted you didn't live there and you're just making a made up story someone told you

btw kyushu is in the middle of butt fuck nowhere, of course it wouldn't be expensive there

i'm a white boii and they been raciss toward me cus im not a jap now fuck outta here
>>
>>1308936
>btw kyushu is in the middle of butt fuck nowhere

these are the people giving you advice in a Japan General. Christ
>>
>>1308936
>hey retard you just admitted you didn't live there and you're just making a made up story someone told you

You never specified housing costs when you made the claim that Japan is expensive. Then you moved the goal posts to Tokyo only, and still got BTFO.

>i'm a white boii and they been raciss toward me cus im not a jap now fuck outta here

Protip. Racism means they discriminate because they think they are superior to you due to their racial heritage. Unless you are Korean or Chinese, this is not the case. If you think people out in the sticks staring at you because they see maybe 1 white person a year is racism, you've never experienced racism. Or are you just mad because they denied you entry into a soapland so you got dickburn from a gaijin hunter instead?
>>
>>1308563
Didn't you already get destroyed on /r/movingtojapan?
>>
>>1308950
oh? ain't me, I don't use reddit at all
>>
>>1308951
Well, sometimes people with similar ideas appear there and they got told how unrealistic it is.
>>
>>1308942

>pro tip

are you saying tokyo is cheap? and are you saying koreans and chinese aren't humans? fucking autist
>>
>>1308957
Try using the quote function to quote the actual statements you're attempting to refute and maybe somebody ITT will take you seriously.
>>
>>1308954
I see. I had no idea that travelling in japan for 2 months while doing some work for pocket change was that far-fetched ---- I'll have to change plans then
>>
>>1308970
It doesn't take a genius to realize a tourist visa doesn't allow you to work.
>>
>>1308971
Yea I knew that, which was why I was asking for insight on doing ad hoc work
>>
>>1308977
Sounds like a cool way to get reported and deported.
>>
>>1308977
Why not try to get an easy job online?
>>
Can anyone recommend some good Halloween parties in Tokyo?

I assume they will be on the weekend before since the 31st is a Tuesday.
>>
File: 1496196125374.jpg (28 KB, 438x329)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
what are my chances of getting accepted into jet program?

>25
>mixed asian, look japanese, non-asian name
>ba in chinese studies, somewhat fluent
>2 years in japanese classes
>a few months teaching experience in china
>>
>>1308984
Do you breathe? No criminal record? Should be fine.
>>
>>1308986

is it competitive at all? because you make it sound like isnt, which kind of sound disappointing.
>>
>>1308981
As my main intention is to force myself to use the language, I didn't consider that. Well, I just read about people going on japanese craigslist to help out with odd jobs and it sounds promising, but I'll try doing freelance online as well. Thanks
>>
>>1308987
get a face tattoo to make it more difficult for yourself if you need more competition.
>>
>>1308993

jesus christ it's that bad?

this is almost as bad as china.
>>
>>1308984
unless you have a degree don't bother
>>
I need to send some booze from San Diego to Osaka.
Problem is the Postal Service doesn't allow alcohol to be mailed.

What can I do?
>>
>>1309034
Most people just don't use USPS, UPS/Fedex/DHL to do that stuff and most of the time they don't bother checking.
>>
Going on a trip to Japan, visiting multiple cities.
What kind of a bag is recommended?
Sending the bag from one hotel to the other a valid option?
>>
>>1309046
It is, but I had no issues with one 26" roller suitcase and a day pack.
>>
>>1309061
I've heard stories that they refuse people with lots of luggage when using the train.

Sending the bags is something I can take care of when in a hotel? Does every hotel support these kind of services?
>>
>>1308874
Japan doesn't really have 'tourist traps'. They just have places with a lot of tourists. Unless you're mortally offended by seeing white people or hearing groups speak Chinese you will be fine. On that note I went into a shop in Akiba with Chinese staff, a duty free shop or something iirc, and I bought something I saw at a train station for half the price. So it's not like the presence of tourists inherently results in being ripped off.

Also, you aren't a true otaku in the first place so don't act pretentious about it.
>>
>>1309076
>Japan doesn't really have 'tourist traps'.

It totally does in Fujisawa, Akihabara, Shinjiku, Fuji, and Kyoto/Osaka. Just because you got some stuff cheap at a place doesn't mean you didn't visit a tourist trap. The tourist traps in Japan just aren't as in yourface "HEY MISTAH GOOD PRICE YOU LIKE YES!?!?"
>>
>>1309072
Never had that issue, and actually never used the luggage forwarding service. There's plenty of room on the N'Ex, Skyliner, and monorail for luggage, along with the shinkansens and pretty much every express train. For regular trains, as long as you aren't getting in peoples' ways when they enter/exit the train or losing control of your luggage during the trip, nobody cares.
>>
>>1309082
Presence of tourists does not automatically mean a place is a tourist trap. And Akiba is most definitely not a tourist trap, unless you're one of those "lets go see the wacky japanese animes" types that have no real interest in anime/manga/vns.
>>
>>1309034
Aye, San Diego boyz!
>>
>>1308982
What you into? I know of a few DJ's playing at Halloween parties
>>
>>1308790

I live here buddy, and longer than he has. He is wrong.
>>
>>1309133
without background context of where you are from and the culture you are use to japan can come off a various number of ways
>>
Anyone ever rented an Airbnb but brought one guest extra along?
>>
Are there any equivalent to male maid cafes, eg. Can I get a cute Japanese Boy to serve me tea
>>
>>1309147
Butler Cafes?
There's several
>>
>>1309146
Just contact the host prior to, usually most are fine or will want a nominal fee
>>
>>1309152
nah nigga I mean sneak em in
>>
>>1309154

i got caught sneaking a girl in, the japanese host got upset and i had to paid him a fee for another guest to make it all better
>>
>>1309155
Grim. I'm thinking about renting the same place as last time, where I didn't even meet the hosts. Wouldn't get caught I reckon, but not sure if the risks are worth it if I were to.
>>
File: 1414288205013.jpg (84 KB, 573x547)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Alright /trv/, tell me everything you know about Kyoto. I'm here for a bit over two more months, and now that I've got used to my area (Higashiyama) and seen all the weeb movies I wanted to, I'm running out of things to do in my spare time. I know Japanese, and conversational practice is the main goal of my trip. I'm the worst tourist in the world, so I haven't really seen any of the sights except the time I wandered through Honnouji when I was looking around Teramachi, and I'm still trying to find a language exchange buddy or something to sight-see with. Basicly just pile any random shit you know of on me and I'll figure shit out.
>>
>>1309161
Come to Nara with me today and feed some deer! I leave for Tokyo tomorrow morning.
>>
>>1309162
Have shit to do today unfortunately. I'm workawaying at a first house
>>
>>1309163
Guest house
>>
>>1308739
That doesn't include accommodation.
>>
Are any of you cunts in Nagoya?
>>
Any of you cunts going to be in Otaru over new year?
>>
>>1307773
I'll have 20 days in Japan with 9 days being in Tokyo. Should I go to Hakone or is it a meme?

I'll also be going to Tamayama, Kanazawa for the countryside experiences.

So, should I make day trips to Nikko and Kamakura while I'm in Tokyo or should I maximize my time in the city? I feel like maybe Kanazawa, and Takayama may suffice for muh countryside stuff.

Thanks, peeps.
>>
>>1309146
yeah had a girl stay over for 5 days, no problem
>>
>>1309072
If you have more than two large suitcases it is kind of pushing it for regular trains. Your hotel is very familiar with luggage forwarding services and I do recommend them. Think about what you want to carry and how comfortable you are carrying your luggage up and down flights of stairs through crowds or during rush hour. After a long flight, it's nice to just use a luggage forwarding service for your larger bags. Keep your carry on with you packed with some clothes. important documents, and your prescription meds, but forward the non-vital stuff.
>>
>>1309147
I think there's a trap cafe as well.
>>
>>1308936
I'm white and have never experienced racism here. Also, prices are pretty uniform no matter where you go in Japan. Rents aren't that different unless you're interested in buying super cheap 40 year old rural properties.
>>
>>1308984
I knew a black guy with dreadlocks who arrived at the station with a huge shirt that said RASTA on it and his luggage was nothing more than a backpack with one pair of pants and one shirt. He ended up getting caught with weed (who would've thought) and his case was quietly handled instead of being arrested. He ended up getting another teaching job within 2 weeks.

If fuckers like him can do it, you can too.
>>
So just booked two places for Tokyo and Osaka through airbnb. How likely it is that I have no place to sleep in Japan?
>>
>>1309333
Unlikely. And AirBnB is legal in Japan nationwide now so there's really no reason for hosts to cancel on you unless something serious happens.
>>
>>1309333
You’ll be fine. I solely used AirBnB in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Yokohama and Hiroshima. All without an issue.
>>
>>1309147
Ikebukuro kind of specializes in that sort of thing
>>
>>1308784
Well I just meant they won't stop me from bringing her if they're paying for the housing. Obviously she'll buy her own plane ticket and we'll pay for our own food and shit, I was just making sure I wouldn't show up and be living in a dorm.
>>
>>1309492
JET doesn't give two shits what you do so long as you show up on time, perform the contract tasks required, and don't get any complaints from the community(parents/police/students/etc)
>>
Cute Japanese girl speaking English
https://youtu.be/Vpg2RdjNuWQ
>>
>>1309493
So I can't fuck the schoolgirls? Or should I just threaten them afterwards so they don't tell anyone?
>>
>>1309572
You probably should avoid that but I've heard stories about JET teachers having girls come on to them. I'd not risk it, especially if you are bringing your girl over with you.
>>
Where can I find a nice traditional Japanese Ryokan in Tokyo for a decent price? Futons and tatami mats and all that stuff
>>
>>1309285
>trap cafe
Is there a specific name for this place?
>>
>>1309196
Hey are you still in Nagoya? Let's hang and grab a beer cunt
>>
Hey guys, did any of you ever try hitchhiking in Japan?

Last month I did it with my friend when we were on vacation. It was super easy and we met tons of nice people. We just made our own signs and waited at service stations. The longest we waited was 1 hour.

Man Japanese people are so nice, they were always gifiting us stuff and helped us out.

We got from Tokyo to Osaka then to Matsuyama and from there to Hiroshima and Okayma and then back. All by hitchhiking so we didnt need to pay for the shinkansen.

There is probably no better country for it. Problem is it takes time and patience of course and you have to hustle to the service station everytime. And communication is kinda hard but all you need is a map to show them where to go. But it was an awesome experience.

Just wanted to recommend it. I would probably not even try to hitchhike in my own country.
>>
>>1309651
Oi cunt, I'm in sakae now, if you're still around where do you want to meet?
>>
>>1308374
> "weed n bitchiz, me shoot u in face, yo"
Way to reduce American musical history to some Top 40 bullshit, weebscum.....
>>
>>1309690
Hey men, i was cassualy looking this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t2yBK9DEpk
Seem cool as fuck. where did you sleep?
>>
>>1309719
>mugga fugga bix nood

Can you repeat that in English?
>>
>>1308128
have been to japan every year for past 3 years for about a month each time. ask me anything anon
>>
Are izakayas really expensive to visit alone? If you want to go to one, do you just show your passport as proof of age to drink?
>>
>>1307773
Can anybody recoommend a reputable college course for learning Japanese? I'm looking for something that will help with the JLPT, and something that is reasonably priced. I'm serious when I study a language and I work hard at it.
>>
>>1309871
Izakayas aren't particularly expensive but are weird to visit alone since all the dishes are meant to be split

Also there isn't a single izakaya that cards unless you're literally wearing a school uniform
>>
Tokyo - 3 days
Kamakura + Yokohama - 1 day
Kyoto + Nara - 4 days
Osaka + Himeji + Hiroshima - 3 days
Kanazawa + Takayama + Nikko - 3 days
Tokyo - 2 days

Looking to make this sort of trip moving between hostels and podhotels, would this be a nice way to see Japan?

Or should I stick with Tokyo and Kyoto as main stays and turn some places into daytrips instead of stays?
>>
>>1309890
What level of JLPT are you aiming for?
>>
Guise. I have problems with the baths, how do you are supposed to dress if the floor is always wet?

Also I just spent 5800y for 2 beers and a meal. Is that normal? The bar owner behaved so awesome...
>>
>>1309950
>5800y

The fuck did you get?
>>
>>1309950
> how do you are supposed to dress if the floor is always wet?
Get out of the bath you fucking idiot.

>Also I just spent 5800y for 2 beers and a meal. Is that normal?
Absolutely not.
>>
>>1309991
Shit... I don't regret it thou, the owner gave me a great service.

As for the wet parts. You can't fucking get out because it's a general area. I can't show my balls around the hostal.

I discovered the 100 stores. I bought a beer and it tastes like shit.
>>
File: IMG_20171008_184003694.jpg (4.66 MB, 3120x4160)
4.66 MB
4.66 MB JPG
>>1309982
Btw
>>
Guys I still have my Suica metrocard with quite a lot of money on it still from 2 years ago, will it still work next summer or do these things expire?

Obviously I can't read the small disclaimer text on the card itself..
>>
>>1310030
they remain valid for 10 years
>>
>>1310024
>paying $60 for raw meat and a salad
>>
>>1310024
Is that fucking Butagumi? If so, how the fuck did you not realize you were in a high end place before you sat down?
>>
>>1309937
I'm not sure what I can achieve but I would like to get to high intermediate, at the very least. I would like to be better of course, but I'm trying to be realistic. I'm not too ignorant of what would be involved bc I've already learned another Asian language to high intermediate level.
>>
>>1310120
I'll add that I'm not really looking for a "fun" experience, I want an academic setting that is serious and goal oriented. I'm worried about investing too much time and money in a program that won't have the necessary material.
>>
Anyone going to Drift matsuri at ebisu circuit?
>>
>>1310120
>>1310122
The problem is that nothing below N1 matters. I don't think college courses in general take you there.
>>
>>1310159
It's not necessarily something I want to do because I think it will bring me opportunities, I just might want to spend a a few months to a year in Japan and that would give me something to show for it. I understand self study would be a big part of it, are there any programs in japan you would recommend?
>>
>>1310168
So you mean a language school in Japan.

Try Reddit. Search /r/learnjapanese and such, the question comes up somewhat often.
>>
>>1310170
for what it's worth, i wouldn't have taken your suggestion if you had given one, so keep doing whatever it is your doing here....we are all the better for it
>>
>>1310178
Wait, what I'm doing here?
>>
Good daytrips from Hiroshima?

I'll be there 3.5 days. Miyajima is a given. I might do Himeji. Anything else?
>>
>>1310186
IIRC Shimanami Kaido is close enough to make a day trip. See Onomichi and Ibaraki.
>>
File: 1494068733293.gif (2.51 MB, 225x225)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB GIF
>>1310184
>>
>>1310196
Now that looks interesting. Not sure if I could pull it off in one day though, since I never do any sports. But it looks convenient enough to do half the itinerary.

Not sure how the weather would be for such a thing in November, might be a tad cold and the sun sets pretty early, but I'll look into it. I might ask here if I have any questions.
>>
>>1310200
You seem spooked as seven shits.
>>
>>1310201
If you do need to stop part way, the route is served by bus as well.
>>
File: 1493893063333.gif (999 KB, 245x254)
999 KB
999 KB GIF
>>1310204
>>
Where is the best place to ski in Hokkaido?
>>
>>1310133
Sounds fun. When is it?
>>
>>1310072
No, it's beef. Wagyu it seems. Tasted rreeeally good.
>>
>>1310274
>Wagyu beef
>surprised your meal was 5800y

Really?
>>
>>1310259
Same anon with another question plus more detail of my situation. I'll only be in Hokkaido for a few days (in Sapporo), and only skied once so I think I would like a lesson to help pick it up again. Would just doing a couple of day trips to the Sapporo Teine Resort be sufficient enough?

Apart from only spending a few days in Hokkaido, the accommodation prices in Niseko and Furano have skyrocketed and it would be much cheaper to just stay in Sapporo.
>>
>>1310272
november 11-12
>>
>>1309934
Looks okay, I'd remove a day from Kyoto and add it to Tokyo.

Kamakura has a lot of stuff to do, I'd remove Yokohama and just spend the whole day there (also it's a day trip from Tokyo so no need to stay there).

I'd consider skipping the Kanazawa/Takayama section (Nikko is not really near those so not sure why they are in the same line)
>>
Fuck.
Nikko was full as fuck today.
Couldn't see the waterfall as busses were jammed in the morning. And I didn't have enough time to go in the afternoon.
>>
anyone have cool alcohol/drug related experiences?
>>
>>1310418
yeah I bought a beer at a conbini and drink it in my airbnb while watching anime

was pretty rad, would recommend
>>
>>1310421
what anime?
>>
>>1310422
Yuru Yuri
>>
>>1310418
Fucking drugfags. What is it with you dipshits and Japan.
>>
File: IMG_1898.jpg (352 KB, 1920x1619)
352 KB
352 KB JPG
>>1310427
>he actually cares this much about what other people do for fun

You need to calm down mate, maybe have a beer or a bit of weed?
>>
Any of you weeaboos in nagoya/okazaki soon? I'll be here all week.
>>
File: wrong.gif (1.24 MB, 257x200)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB GIF
>Going out with people from the Hostel.
>Every bar is filled with Aussies.

Nuke Australia.
>>
>>1310429
As someone who lifts and bikes and is a serious meditation student I will admit I find druggies and binge drinkers pretty weak, lost and pitiful.

Honestly just anyone who isnt in top physical shape and doesnt meditate kind of saddens me. Thats pretty much everyone I know. Meh at least I can admit it.
>>
File: IMG_1711.png (147 KB, 337x317)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>>1310440
(You)
>>
>>1310413
Aw really ? I'll be visiting Nikko in 21 October, you think it will still be crowded ?
Also how's the color ?
>>
>>1310443
It was public holiday today so I guess it was more crowded than normal.
>>
>>1310438
>going to bars and not izakayas

Nigga, stay in your home country at that point. Go to a real Japanese joint or don't go at all
>>
>>1310380
Thanks anon, Yokohama was just for a skyline photograph, but Kamakura does seem more fun, planning it as a daytrip without Yokohama and being able to stay in Tokyo for the night sounds better.

To make it more a round trip, I added Kanazawa/Takayama and then head to Nikko after, only to end up in Tokyo again.. after some google, yeah I am going to skip the 2.

Thanks!
>>
Next time I go,I will stay in Kamakura for a couple nigths. My favourite umi side town! Day I happened to be there was a big fireworks display on the water from boats, and there were thousands of people. Pretty amazing
>>
Anyone gonna be in Tokyo for around Halloween?

Looking to really get out and about and talk to random girlies practicing my Japanese.

28 year old So Cal guy here
>>
>>1310481
>talk to random girlies practicing my Japanese.

Do you get high on embarrassment or something?
>>
>>1310440
As a serious meditation student you should be the one the most open to enlightening drug experiences...don't flex those muscles and your ego brah
>>
>>1310487
>As a serious meditation student you should be the one the most open to enlightening drug experiences

Somehow I don't think a high induced by habit forming narcotics is beneficial to keeping the body and mind healthy and clean.

>>1310448
To be fair, there's some neat bars in Japan. There's one in Asakasa that does all belgian craft beer, and there's also a bunch of train/railroad themed bars in Tokyo.
>>
Currently in Tokyo for a holiday, can I get some advice on how/where to find prostitutes ? And how to pick them up considering I'm Asian and can't speak Jap
>>
>>1310485
LOL plenty has no game
>>
>>1310034
Wow! That's a long time, thanks anon!
>>
>>1310498
Tokyo Adult Guide
>>
Can you buy a Suica card with Credit Card? I have heard that you need bills or coins to get one for the first time.
>>
I'm currently in JPN 201, Advanced Japanese Independent Study, and go to two hour long tutoring sessions a week.

Is there any jobs in learning this language I could seek out, or am I doomed to enlist in the JET program?

Also I'm going back to Japan in January, booked an apartment on AIRBNB with some friends but have literally NO plans on what to do when there. Last time I went I was a teenager, and I'm almost 30 now.
>>
>>1310549
You could get a job related to your PhD. Like teaching whatever is your research topic.
>>
>>1310536
I'm pretty sure you can buy the initial card with a balance at a kiosk in a main station, but for topping up you need to use JPY at a machine.
>>
>>1308215
I wish to know this as well. Then again I'll be 20 by the time I go in few months
>>
>>1308390
How is Tinder over there? I'm heading back next summer and plan on meeting more people than I did the first time I went. My Japanese is limited.

Is Tinder the way to go for this stuff even? Or just go out to bars and meet people?
>>
Is there anywhere that I can get high fibre cereal in Japan? I know there's a million better breakfast options in Japan, but last time I visited my bowels just shut down and it was unpleasant for a few days. I picked up what was supposed to be museli in 7/11 and it was just crunchy sugar balls. I'm not sure customs would take very kindly to me putting wheat into my suitcase.
>>
>>1310601
Just get a fibre supplement powder and drink it twice/thrice a day if you're that concerned.
>>
>>1310601
>I'm not sure customs would take very kindly to me putting wheat into my suitcase
what? just take what you want.
>>
>>1310602
I didn't actually know you could get fibre powder, I'll look into it.

>>1310607
I've watched too many airport TV shows, I'm convinced I'll get an angry talking to and a fine if I try to bring foreign food into the country.
>>
>>1308215
>>1310583

You will never get carded, shit some vending machines allow you to purchase beer they just aren't on a main street. Saw a few in Tatio, just hit yes on the monitor when it asks your age. They won't check a foreigner because it's too awkward and hard to explain, just look like you know what you are doing and people will be fine.

>>1310585
>How is Tinder over there?

It's fine, just be prepared to get LOTS of hits if you are 6/10 or above, keep in mind if you do it during the day most dates will just want to walk around and show you off, make ask you to teach english.
>>
>>1310614
How is it for females? I know a girl who went over there, claimed she was getting a ton of hits, but I found it hard to believe.
>>
>>1310657
I can believe it. I don't use it now because I've got a husbando back home, but when I had Tinder in Australia I got the most hits in areas with heavy Japanese (and Korean) populations.

They're not usually /cgl/s perfect idoru husbandos - average to below-average students mostly - but they do love white chicks.
>>
File: .jpg (1.54 MB, 2419x3225)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>1309650
http://newtype.ms ;)
>>
Whats some good hostels in Tokyo if I'm travelling solo and just want to drink and meet people?
>>
What is the cheapest form of accomodation for a couple when travelling Japan? Capsules, hostels, or something else?
>Inb4 sleep under a bridge
>>
>>1310717
airBnB
>>
>>1310717
Love hotels
>>
Anyone have experience renting electric bicycles ? Do they check for stuff ? I assume at least passport is necessary right.
Also do you need to leave extra money for guarantee ?
>>
>>1310736
Anything I should keep in mind when booking via AirBnB? I'm planning to go to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka mainly
>>
>>1310743
I think make sure you read the reviews and make sure you're getting the amenities you need. There have been times when I had wished I had booked a place with a clothes washer and dryer, or air con in the summer or heater in the winter. In terms of the hosts, it is unlikely you will have trouble in Japan because of how hospital and nice they are. You're more likely to have issues in any other English speaking country.

I can recommend some Airbnbs that I've stayed at in all three of those cities and have been quite happy with.

Tokyo: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/16286234
This Airbnb is in a quiet area of Tokyo with a heap of cool little independent clothes shops and whatnot. I'm unsure where you're travelling from, but if it's Aus or NZ, you will be happy with the coffee in Shimokita. Whilst not as good as Aus/NZ it's better than anywhere else I've been to in Japan.
I can recommend some more Airbnbs in Tokyo but they'd be more for either a solo traveller or a group larger than 3.
Osaka: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/11896473
This one is very conveniently located. It is more like a sterile hotel room compared to the others but still very nice.
Kyoto: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/6410740
This has been my favourite Airbnb in Japan. Having looked back at it, it seems that I'm the only person who has reviewed it on Airbnb (and probably booked via Airbnb), you can book it directly their website or booking.com http://www.kyotomachiyainn.com/maeniiya-machiya-inn.html
>>
>>1310746
>There have been times when I had wished I had booked a place with a clothes washer and dryer
What about coin laundries?
>>
>>1310696
>good hostels
I will be staying at Imano Tokyo Hostel near Shinjuku Gyoen, Golden Gai and the station is at 15 mins walking. Very comfy.
>>
>>1310851
Not that anon but the first time I went to Japan I booked places with no washer and it was fucking shit. You have to carry your washing to wherever the closest laundromat is and wait for it to be done in close proximity then dry it all and it can get expensive and time consuming. If you have a washer at least then you can wash your shit while you're out then dry it/hang it whenever you want and it doesn't cost you anything. I'll never book a place without now.
>>
>>1310746
Thanks a bunch anon. One more question though. If there are washing machines in the AirBnB, do they come with soap/powder or do you have to provide that yourself?
>>
>>1309778
Well we did not have a tent with us. We slept in Hostels most of the time but also just outside with our sleepingbags. Which was kinda shitty because of the mosquitos and the heat.

Would have loved to just sleep outside tho
>>
>tfw just looking at my travel plan but for some reason can't make the reservation due to reasons that may or may not be related to autism
>>
music to compliment exploring tokyo at night
>>
>>1310911
As pretentious as this may seem, I'd recommend not listening to anything. In my mind, you're artificing your experience by laying music on top of your sight seeing when you should just be enjoying whatever sounds the city is producing.
Having headphones on may also act as a deterrent to meeting new people as they'll assume you don't want to be disturbed (May or may not be the case in your situation). When I was in Japan I had several people approach me on the street who were just interested to chat with a foreigner.
>>
>>1310657
>How is it for females?

Same just expect to be hit on by much older men, usually business men.

>Whats some good hostels in Tokyo if I'm travelling solo and just want to drink and meet people?
The grid
>>
tfw 12 days till my trip to Tokyo. I've pretty much figured out what I want to do but I still gotta plan out the 8 days I'm there. Any recommendations for chill small bars or something? I don't want to get wasted or anything, but I might want to go get a few drinks some evening. I'm travelling alone. Also uhh how do the SIM card vending machines work? I heard of something like that. I got a pocket wi-fi at my AirBnB and I can take it with me when I go out, but I might get one of those prepaid SIMs too. Can I get a Suica card at the airport?

>>1310911
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Sunset Mission
Burial - Untrue
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles (I)
Johnny Jewel - Windswept
>>
>>1310657
>I found it hard to believe that a girl was getting tons of hits on tinder
>>
>>1310860
In all my experiences, yes they have supplied it.
>>1310851
I usually do use coin laundromats when I'm travelling alone or with one other person. When I'm with a group, it's great to have a washer in your accommodation (and dryer if you're travelling during colder seasons).
>>
>>1310998
>Any recommendations for chill small bars or something?
Stay off the main akiba strip, some good pubs the closer you get to the river near the south, and leading to tokyo station a lot of nice bars. Taito is great place for a chill bars just be aware a good amount of hookers the closer you get to the main river. Personally I would look for some all you can drink places to save money, 2 hours of all you can drink > the cost of ordering 3-4 beers most the time.

>Also uhh how do the SIM card vending machines work?
Nab it at the airport they sell them in stores there if you can't figure it out. Usually you go by total GB needed check your phones compatibility here https://willmyphonework.net/

> Can I get a Suica card at the airport?
yeah and basically any train station, they aren't hard to get
>>
anyone here been to the DIO bar in Nakano? Also what is a good translation app from english to japanese in case my sign language skills are shitty?
>>
Anyone wanna get shitfaced drunk somewhere in Tokyo with me tonight?
>>
How does the nightlife in Osaka compare with Tokyo?
>>
>>1311218
I'm flying home tomorrow. So not me.
Hopefully I won't feel sick like on the way here.
>>
>>1311220
Don't be a pussy. I got so drunk I couldn't find my way home to my apartment alone the night before my flight. Got home at 0600, slept for 3 hours and had to leave the apartment by 1100 and sit at the airport until my fight at 1900.

It was a really fucking shit day and I felt like throwing up the whole time, but it was memorable.
>>
>>1310657
I think if girls want to only use it for sex they are sure to find a lot of matches.

I guess it depends on how you use it. I use to have a local to dine with at little known, but good restaurants and practice my Japanese. I keep my settings set to ages very close to mine and explain I only want friends in my profile. I examine all the profiles for potential matches closely to make sure they're not just hunting for white girls. Even with that said, I spend a lot of time pruning my match list to keep it fuckboi free. I get a lot of messages of people wanting to meet and suggesting a time and place. And if they seem like normal people then I have to factor in how to meet 4 to 5 different people in one weekend, while maintaining my plans.

I think it's a good option if you're looking for specific types of people too. It's helped me find people with niche interests like mine and I have an eclectic group of friends now. I've gotten along well with international traveling businessmen to pole dancers. But honestly, some of them still might be clinging to that hope that sex is happening. I guess I'd say they range from average attractiveness to handsome, but it's a bit irrelevant to me since I just want to talk to someone and not eat alone. I do avoid hosts though.
>>
>>1310614
>It's fine, just be prepared to get LOTS of hits if you are 6/10 or above

Do you know if this depends on what race you are? I'm not white, so I'm expecting to most likely be less popular on Tinder while there, but you reckon there'll be a very noticeable difference?
>>
If I'm from the US, will I have to fill out a Quarantine Form when I arrive at Narita airport?
>>
>>1311281
Do you mean the standard immigration/customs form or something else?
>>
File: yellowform.jpg (46 KB, 600x450)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1311307
Something like this yellow form?
I didn't plan on bringing any shot records or anything with me and I'm not going into the countryside, so I didn't get any recent vaccinations
>>
Anyone want to share tinder stories?
>>
What's the best bang-for-buck data plan I can get? Arriving at Narita airport
>>
>>1311313
I didn't have to fill that out when I visited eaier this year. Just the usual immigration form.
>>
Asked this elsewhere but any non-Japanese have experience buying/owning property in Japan on just your tourist visa? I can stay up to 3 months so I am considering a reasonably priced vacation property since I keep throwing away money on overpriced 3rd party rental services every-time I visit.
>>
File: lXSWGjR.png (65 KB, 1092x1037)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>1307773
Whats the change of brown southeast Asian slightly spic looking guy to get a girl there?
>>
I hear people say Japanese women don't like muscle on a guy, am I really fucked?
>>
>>1311361
One of the tinder girls I got with said she got with a Mexican guy. I know you are not Mexican but I would say give it a shot man. Girls there are horny
>>
>>1311369
So this doesn't apply to all women but they like a guy who is fit not a steroid muscle head. Now some really like to get with American marines so there always outliers.
>>
File: crying-pepe.jpg (15 KB, 351x351)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1311372
Let me correct, Im southeast Asian Flip descent not south asian (like Indian)
So basically discount asian brown amerindian looking, not brown latin looking
>>
>>1311375
So I think the foreign attraction thing won't work for me
>>
>>1311350
b mobile

>>1311313
Unless you're hacking up a lung when you get there you generally don't do shit for entering japan

>>1311358
Craigslist some places for extended stays, most will want cash up front for 30 days per stay
>>
File: photo[1].jpg (85 KB, 900x900)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1311369

I have literally had a student show me a picture of her husband who was about this body type. I commented how her boyfriend looked like a super-hero and she laughed and told me how much she disliked his body. Said he was too strong and that most girls feel this way (I have heard it from others, too).

So yeah, if you are like this or above it will be harder, but the Gaijin chasers USUALLY like this kind of body so do not fret.
>>
>>1311369
>I hear people say Japanese women don't like muscle on a guy, am I really fucked?

No idea where you heard this but it is completely wrong. Unless you are completely over the top in muscles then maybe, but most fitizens would be fine and have it as a bonus.
>>
>>1311369
Just be yourself, Gaijin hunters love Gaijin looking Gaijin
>>
>>1311247
>fuckboi
I physically cringed
>>
What's a good way to get buy concert and NJPW tickets outside of Japan? Most I see require you to go through things like ticket Pia e+ or l-tike and from what I can see you have to be in Japan to use those.
>>
>>1311218
Fuck, 1 day late.
I have nothing to do for tonight, want to get drunk in Akiba for maximum WTF points?
>>
>>1310696
Wise Owl
I'm here right now and I still haven't paid a single metro ticket, JR stations all around.
Also fairly close to Tokyo Central, so it's super easy to go back
>>
>>1307773
What's the best place for ear cleaning or face massage?
I've seen one in Akihabara, but maybe I should go to the sex district north of Shinjuku?
>>
>>1311528
I'll clean your ears in exchange for takoyaki.

>tfw your wallet gets stolen in Kabukicho.

I'm so fucking hungry.
>>
>>1311532
Wtf mate, just pay with your phone.
Also might consider offer if qt white or jap grill
>>
>>1311533
Pay with my phone? I still have a backup card, but my pay doesn't come in until 8pm (or tomorrow, if I'm unlucky.)

I'm a ko-wah-ee white grill.
>>
>>1311526
Yea sure, I'm still up for it. Do you Have LINE?
>>
>>1311526
>>1311546
It's getting late now anyway and I'm tired as hell, so just Let me now if you wanna hit up a bar or something sometime
>>
>>1311574
Sorry bruh, I went out to Roppongi to eat sushi and I don't have 4g outside of my country.
120 bucks for uncooked fish but holy shit it was good.

LINE id is japanon btw
>>
Whats a really good sushi joint in shinjuku? Planning on trying some of the good shit tomorrow.
>>
Whats a good translation app to make communication easier?
>>
>>1311641
I never did any of the high end places, but there's a conveyor sushi place called Numazukou in Shinjuku that's really good.
>>
Do you need to give any information to the airline or fill out any form before the boarding card you get on the plane itself? Asking as an EU citizen.
>>
>>1311679
KLM asked for some details like age and sex before the flight, but if they don't send you any emails you're good
>>
>>1311219
I'd also like to know this.
>>
>>1311679
Your passport document number
>>
>>1311642
Google translate
>>
>going back to tokyo again in a few weeks
>gonna spend two weeks just drinking and going to the same places I always do
It never really gets boring
>>
>>1311812
Golden Gai is such an amazing place it never gets old.
>>
>>1311812
This is what I'm doing except I'm spending the entire month in Tokyo this time. I'm excited to go back to the bar I used to go to and meet everyone there, the employees were really great people.
>>
What's the difference between a soapland and other places that offer prostitution in Tokyo? I know that sexual intercourse is illegal, and that soaplands have a body-on-body massage or something? But do soaplands have sexual intercourse or not?
>>
>>1311830
Soapland = benis in bagina
Other places = above depends on you, the shop and the girl.
>>
>>1311528
There's several in Akihabara. Skip Yamamoto Mimikaki's Akihabara branch and Moemakura though, they sucked. They don't have private rooms, but a larger space separated by curtains. Yamamoto is also close enough to train tracks that there's a constant clattering.
Report back with your results if you use one, I'll keep it in mind for my next Japan trip.
>>
Has anyone had experiences with Homestayinjapan.com as a tourist or in general? Thinking about doing it since I'm traveling alone.
>>
/trv/ halp

How do I avoid all main sights of Japan? lol

I am supposed to go to Japan on a longer trip next year with friends, but I accidentally bought tickets for November to Osaka while I was half asleep. And I now realise they aren't refundable, so I am flying into Osaka next month.

Do you guys know some random onsen town on a seaside relatively close to Osaka? Or with some nice mountain view?
I'm thinking of spending the whole time at some small spa town.
>>
>>1310895
Iktf.
Just take the first step.
Once you've booked one place booking the others will just become a matter of course.
>>
>>1311920
Just go to Kyushu. Or Shikoku. Or Hokkaido. Nobody goes there on their first trip.
>>
>>1311847
Anyone have any recommendations for soaplands?
>>
>>1311987
Naniwa.
>>
Anyone else flying out to Japan this coming week? It's my first trip there and I'm going solo, so I'm hoping for the best
>>
File: 1507925856334.jpg (55 KB, 640x640)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
What do you usually do for breakfast in Japan?
>>
>>1312045
convenience store sushi
>>
>>1312045
Ramen or matsuya, if I'm even up for breakfast
>>
>>1312053
Or bread, fucking fresh delicious bakery bread
>>
>>1312046
>>1312053
While I like all those things they seem more like evening food to my stomach.

>>1312054
That's a little more like it.

My body is just so used to western style breakfasts of eggs/toast/pancakes etc.
There's nothing wrong with the foods mentioned. They just don't really get me going in the morning. Will I get used to it if I eat it more?
>>
>>1312061
I dunno man, I've never really been a breakfast food person in the first place. If you're looking for a more traditional western breakfast there are places that do that too. But I try to avoid western food as much as possible in Japan, I can eat that shit whenever I want at home.
>>
Speaking of eating, this is a very stupid question, but I wonder what does the waitress asked me when I entered a restaurant. I don't think it's about smoking / non smoking since I know the word, any guesses ?
>>
>>1312071
Can you be any more vague? Try to recite the words she said
>>
>>1312073
Totally no idea, I already stated it's a very stupid question and not expecting any answer, just treat this as light talk.
It's an udon shop, and when I entered the waitress instantly asked me a question.
I don't think it's about smoking/non smoking or 'table for one?', and sadly also not "do you want to have some fuck ?"
Afterward, she guided me to over the counter type seat and gave me my menu.
>>
Why is the weather so shit? Holy fuck the anger, this is my once-in-a-lifetime trip
>>
>>1312045
Konbini banana & yogurt. I had traditional Japanese breakfasts at a few places, it's a bit much for my eating habits.
>>
Should i sleep in osaka and do daytrip(s) to kyoto or separate them into two different stays
>>
>>1307836
How many yellow knobs have you sucked so far?
>>
Any good ramen joints around hrioo?
>>
>>1312045
Depends. In Tokyo, if I like Bill's Omotesando if I have a lot of time in the morning. If I don't, konbini or bakery pastries, whatever's on the way to the station or in the station.

In Sendai, there was a Hawaiian breakfast and lunch place in the shopping street near Sendai station, though they open a bit late (around 10 AM IIRC). Good for a large late breakfast if you're not in a hurry.

In Kyoto, there was a delicious tiny bakery down the street from my hotel that I got food from almost every day. There was also a great breakfast cafe nearby as well, but I learned the hardway that the entire cafe allows smoking with no nonsmoking sections on my first visit. So never went back to that one.

For Hiroshima my hotel gave me free lounge access, meaning free breakfast buffet, and in Nagasaki I paid the $14 for hotel breakfast (Hotel Monterey). Hotel Monterey's breakfast buffet is the first time I've paid for a hotel breakfast and not felt completely ripped off.
>>
>>1312076
She was asking if you wanted a table or counter seat.

Worth noting for any other arcade gambling degenerates like myself: If you see a large prize in one of those 'pole through the hole' machines and getting it once pushes it back (but not totally off the platform) you've still won it and should tell someone.
>Don't pour another 1500¥ in because you really want it, because you already won it for 200¥ you fucking loser now you don't have any money left for food.
>>
Leaving for weebland in less than a day.
Any hot tips for a first trip?
>>
Anyone been into one of those bars that seat like 6 people? It's seems comfy, but I don't wanna be an annoying gaijin that just sits there not understanding a word
>>
>>1310895
Well I booked it. A bit nervous tbqh.
>>
>>1308215
>getting carded in Japan

Nice meme friend :) for real though, I never got carded at a bar, and I just clicked "yes" at the convenience store on the monitor

Source: 18 years old when i went to Japan by myself
>>
>tfw the only girls that give me that "stare" are super young and in groups while girls my age don't even bat an eyelash

Fuck, I wouldn't wish this upon my worse enemy. I mean admittedly I don't go out to bars or use tinder but it still sucks.
>>
I booked my flight through ebookers so it didn't ask that many questions, not my date of birth etc. Will I be fine or is there something extra I need to do?
>>
Do you anons think the memorial for Grape-kun will still be up at Tobu Zoo next weekend? I'd like to pay it a visit
>>
>>1312163
If I'm reading this right you have groups of teenage Japanese girls miring you? And why is this bad?
>>
>>1312163
Is there a reason you don't try to pick them up?
>>
>>1312133
There's nothing quite like the feeling of blowing 20k yen on UFOcatchers and walking out with a bunch of plushies you probably could have bought for $60 total
>>
How is Chiba lads? Going to stay there for 10 more days. Any recommendations?
>>
So I spent a month in Japan last year and I loved it. So now I want to go back for a few months in an exchange program, preferably one of those where you study Japanese during the stay, and that would allow me to work somewhere at least part time. Anyone here done something similar to that? Just looking for general tips and advice. I'm 22 and money is not a problem.
>>
>>1312210
The biggest problem with this is gonna be obtaining a work permit while being there on a student visa. It's a pain in the ass, but so are most things there involving permits
>>
>>1312071
She's probably greeting you when you enter the shop with the generic "Weclome/How can I help you"/Irrashaimase. Or she's asking you how many people are in your party. The only things I have to tell people in restaurants are "Hitori" (One person dining) and "Suimasen" (I don't smoke), then a "Arigatou Gozaimasu" (thank you) for seating me/giving me a menu.
>>
>>1311219
bump
>>
>>1312111
None because I have a superior 6'5" Aryan husbando waiting at home.
>>
>>1312205
You know it, anon. Realized that while I've been avoiding paying 1k for something I really wanted to save money, I'm already at least 20k deep in arcade prizes. Fuck it.
>>
>>1312330
Not him, but I can be you 6.5" Aryan husbando for the trip if you want. I'm traveling around for a while
>>
>>1312317
Gozaimasu is a bit too formal, from what I gathered. People who serve you are suppose to be formal towards you, not viceversa.
>>
>>1312347
This. Just give them an azassu if anything, it's all those waitscum deserve
>>
Planning on spending a week in Tokyo with wife and her parents (they are cool, already took them to China, HK and South Africa before).
Looking at Airbnb options as well as hotels. Citadines look good, is Shinjuku a nice place to stay? What would /trv/ recommend as a central location that we could keep as a base for day trips?
Also if you had 7 nights to experience Tokyo, what would be on your list?
Thanks!
>>
Are all the out of Tokyo places like this?
https://youtu.be/0eRLcZ_ZYpo
>>
>>1312394
even inside the tokyo metropolitan area there are places like that
>>
>>1312394
The Toden Arakawa streetcar line runs through a lot of areas like that in Tokyo.
>>
>>1312184
I'm going Wednesday. I'll leave a bottle of tequila for him
>>
>>1311920
Yagawara
>>
Best simcard to get?
>>
>>1312045
katsu sando

every time
>>
>>1312436
Why tequila? Is that what Hululu drinks?
>>
>>1312473
>not kare pan
>>
>>1312198
>>1312204

Because I don't want to go up to a group of like 5 or so 16 year old jap girls when the only words I can say are "hello, thank you and sorry"

I'm already awkward and shy enough as is.

For some reason the young girls just like mysterious whities that look semi okay, I heard one say "cute boy" while hiding behind her friend. I just walked away because I had no clue how to respond lol.
>>
New bread, goming for being late >>1312532
>>
>>1312530
You're supposed to take your dick out come on dude.
>>
>>1312530
I'd pay a lot of money for a couple of 16 year old jap girls
>>
>>1312394
Walking in places like this in Tokyo while it's raining is amazing. It's a feeling i never felt before that i don't even know how to describe.
>>
>>1312553
It's even better when covered in snow, although that's rare in tokyo
>>
>>1308215
My sister drank in Japan when she was fourteen, they don't give a fuck over there.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.