[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File deleted.
>meet french person in hostel
>they are a pretentious dickhead

every goddamn time.
>>
I always thought it was a meme but in reality most french people are very arrogant when it comes to connecting with other people. Most social interactions are dick measuring contests and they will try to put you down at every chance, specially if you are a foreigner
>>
I've always had this experience with frogs until about 2 days ago when I met a group of cool french guys in tel aviv.
>>
Seems like French are the ones who can pull off being dickheads even when traveling alone. Other nationalities famous for being dickheads like Australians or Israelis are usually fine individually, and only shitty when in groups.
>>
How about some proper examples ? I'm used to French bashing but rarely hear what happened.
>>
>meet American in hostel
>They're a sensitive little bitch

Every time
>>
young French men are just the absolute fucking worst. they look like fuckboi's and behave like American women. I fucking hate them, especially in the south and paris which is where they seem to be the absolute gayest of the gay. They know absolutely nothing except slang-ridden english they cannot pronounce. Their civics knowledge is trash, worse than Americans. Most dont know who DeGaulle is, or why every second fifth road in their country is named Rue de 6.Juin/11.Novembre/whatever. This shit matters, especially when they act like pretentious assholes turning their nose up at everything. I have to do everything in my power to hold back from just punching them in the fucking face.

centre and normandy/bretagne they are fine. sometimes even cool.

French women are perfect in every way and I will not tolerate people badmouthing them.
>>
>>1309725
Incredibly accurate
>>
>meet an Australian in a hostel
>they are a cunt

>meet an Israeli in a hostel
>they are self-righteous

>meet an American in a hostel
>they are ignorant

>meet a slav in a hotel
>they are fucked in the head

>meet a Swede in a hostel
>they are a cuck

>meet a Canadian in a hostel
>they are passive-aggressive

>meet an Indian in a hostel
>they are creepy

>meet a German in a hostel
>they are kinky

every goddamn time
>>
>>1309725
>centre and normandy/bretagne they are fine
This opinion... not surprising, seeing how people in Normandy suck american cock 24/7. Although this is understandable (history and shiet).

t. moved in Normandy recently
>>
>>1309725
seconding the french women part
>>
File: 1482890842995.jpg (15 KB, 185x268)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1309745

/thread

All of the memes are true
>>
>>1309725
>They know absolutely nothing except slang-ridden english they cannot pronounce.
this is the worst and it doesn't only apply to french people. i'm not a native english speaker myself but i hate it when people confidently speak horrible english and overuse slang words they don't really understand themselves. it's really common with european "travellers" and it's extremely aggravating. it's okay if your english is bad but i can't stand it if you still act like you're the hottest shit even though you can barely form a sentence let alone pronounce it correctly.
>>
>open frogthread
>op is a faggot

Every goddamn time
>>
>>1309745
what are you on about cunt
>>
French girls are amazing from my experience but I’m American I don’t know if that makes a difference.
>>
Some are ok, I was in a room with 4 frenchies and my flight with Air France was cancelled due to strikes. At this point I was complaining that the French are always on strike and sold out to Hitler.

They sat there, listened with intent and laughed
>>
Every Frenchman's character is disastrously ruined by their frustrated, hysterical nationalism. They don't realize how inappropriate they are in every social and cultural context, because they can't refrain from considering themselves the best in the world. And they're not like Americans, who certainly are patriotic but in a funny, naive way: no, French nationalism is of the spiteful, jealous, biased kind. They look at the entire world as if it were responsible for some kind of failure or discontent (?) of the French nation. Even when they just talk about normal things, you can see their rooted chauvinism in their eyes. Maybe French women are a little better because, you know, women in general don't give a fuck about such things, but French men are absolutely obnoxious.
>>
>>1309603
If I ever meet a French person who can speak English without accent I will eat my shoe
>>
>>1309848
Americans in at least 3 different occasions asked me which US state I came from because they couldn’t quite recognize my accent. They were baffled I was French.
Brits on the other hand already asked me if I could speak English, after not understanding my English. “Bottle of water” is apparently pronounced “Bowdl o’ wotah’” in London.

I have lived abroad for a few years (Hk) and to me international english is getting pretty standardized, it’s becoming hard to discern the nationality. At least among professionals.

I know this is a /travel/ board but you can’t judge a whole country based on a small sample of its population making holidays.
>>
Every time a fucktard turns on the lights and makes a skype call at 3am, it's been a Frenchman.
>>
File: 1402253654109.png (15 KB, 300x300)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1309825
> hurr durr look at me I'm american
>>
>meet an englishman in a hotel
>whines about his favorite type of honey not being available in a 3-star accommodation and having to walk 500 yards to the beach
>>
I met a French student at a club in Detroit a couple months ago. Guy was super cool. Said it was refreshing here, away from the claustrophobia and conservative attitudes of France. He was also a little amazed at how few fucks we give here.
>>
>>1309925
Sorry you feel that way :(
>>
>>1310114
Sorry anon, I just snapped.
>>
>>1309716
I wrote about it a few times now on /trv/. Was traveling through the outback, staying in free campsites along the way. They were perfectly fine, people pretty much just just did their own thing. One place we show up at, it's getting late and a group of French cunts in 4 cars show up and unpack right next to us even though there's a huge field they could have gone to. There's like 16 of them. Make noise late into the night, we tell them to be quiet nicely they instead say they're free to make as much noise as they want. Start blaring music at 1 in the morning, start doing drugs and bragging about how much drugs they've done in the past. Their conversations gave me cancer. But seriously, I've not come across more disrespectful bunch of cunts, especially since this is in areas where you go to enjoy nature, get out of the noise and hassle of the big city...

I've come across many of them in Oz and NZ and they're mostly just very ignorant, poorly educated, and just full of themselves. Like they have an incredible confidence in themselves, I'm almost jealous of that because they're borderline retards who think they're gods gift to the world. I guess another way to put it is that they don't have any modesty at all.

I have come across only a handful of decent French people and they were all the ones who were educated. So I guess it's just a lack of general education that's bringing them down

>>1309745
Fuck, all of those are pretty much right. I'd say that a Swede is just somewhat borderline autistic instead of a cuck. Germans are just fucking weird. There are a lot of very very weird Germans out there, like the topics they bring up are something you wouldn't bring up in public. I've come across a lot of ones who are nazi sympathizers or just say how great the war was. I speak with a Canadian accent but I'm actually 100% Polish and this is when I usually troll them and say something about what they did to my family.
Also, I'm a slav and totally fucked in the head
>>
>>1309725
By south, I assume you mean Southeast. I've been to the inland parts of southern France most (aunt has a second home there), around the Pyrenees, Toulouse and so on. I found people pretty all right. I barely speak French, too.

And touching on that, I've been to France 8 times and always had a nice time and found my interactions with the French generally positive. The odd jerky waiter/waitress now and then, and sure Paris memes like that it is full of bitter muslims and big city people rushing around doing big city things, but even Paris is enjoyable if you head away from the main tourist sights.

I have met my share of arrogant French cunts while travelling, that I cannot deny. The French in France itself are fine. And I've boned a few French women too. No complaints.

>>1309875
More like Bo'ull uv Wa'uh

But yea, a kind of globalized English is more and more common. It's definitely more American-influenced thanks to American media. I'm a native English speaker (both parents), but lived in Yürop the last 10 years, and some regional British accents are fucking atrocious. I eavesdropped a British guy on the tram visiting my town for a trade show recently. I swear his tongue had been cut out of his mouth or paralyzed or something. I honestly that it was Dutch or something at first, but made out clearly English words now and then, the word "mate" several times, and the city "Manchester" once.

>>1310227
>Also, I'm a slav and totally fucked in the head
And that's why we disregard everything you just wrote.
>>
>>1309716
My experience
>french assume they know about your culture from what they read
>Try to correct them and tell them that it isn't quite that
>get into stupid stand off nonsensical argument about how it is that way no matter what "because well that's how it is"
>change subject to avoid shitty convo, ask what they want to do in the country
>"Oh go biking see nature, climb some mountain, eat some food, go to some lakes" It's always the same fucking things....
>Explain I want to go to and see, get judged hard on it even though I attempted to complement their choices

or

>walking around in japan
>meet french dude
>he is totally lost been walking around in circles for a while
>Ask him if he needs help
>I am french and not lost, I am just looking for (thing that is literally in English on 2F aka floor 2)
>Oh that's right across from the carls Jr right there
>"Of course an american would know where it is from a burger place"

Carls jr is the one place on Akihabara that is easy as piss to spot has free wifi, refills, and cell charging, it's probably the best place to stop if you need to in that are.
>>
>>1309845
This is pretty spot on honestly. There is nothing that french will ever admit is better than them or they had a part in. Americans will usually acknowledge that something is better or say something like "wish he had this back home"
>>
>>1310233
>>Also, I'm a slav and totally fucked in the head
>And that's why we disregard everything you just wrote.
Hahaha

Still better than being French.
>>
If I were stuck in a hostel with people I'd rank this best to worst

1. British UK/Scot/Etc
2. American
3.German (female)
4. Japanese/Korean
5. Canadian
6. Spanish (non South American)
7. Swede
8. Fin or noway
9. French
10. Chinese/SEA
>>
>>1310227
>>1310239
arent French people just rude to Americans? I'm european and don't experience french ppl like this
>>
>>1310263
Nah, I was traveling with my buddy from NZ and Canada. Acted the same way regardless who we were, they didn't have an accent so they shat over all of us
>>
>>1310267
Maybe they aren't like this towards europeans? I know Sweden also as a bit ''anti-america'' attitude (but they are probably too polite to express it towards americans)
>>
>>1310277
Honestly never had a problem with anyone else in Europe. Most of the time it was "yeah but don't americans do X, Y, and Z". Then explained to them not so and they would at least listen, ask questions to understand and listen; French would dismiss it instantly. The one UK man I was with as well complained since he traveled so much and lost his accent and sounded american.

It's kind of funny, Europeans will get puzzled when you mix up their country but when Europeans try to guess the state outside Texas, California, New York, and Florida. They are fucking clueless.

Americans have a bad wrap and I get that but at the same time plenty of other countries have the same shit going on
>>
>>1309603
I have a french chick friend and she's a massive slut, but gets offended when you talk non-lib politics.
French people are fucking weird.
>>
>>1309848

I know literally hundreds.
>>
>>1310262
To be perfectly honest with you, that's a really shit list. All those countries are boring and the people from them are boring as fuck most of the time. The most interesting people I've met on my travels were from Eastern Europe, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina. I think the only ones I agree with you were German girls, who seem more interesting then the Germany guys.

Also, with Brits, I only meet 2 types. Either really boring or really into "lad culture". Some of the guys are decent to hang out with but the girls have the absolutely worst views on life, either really trashy or really snobby.
>>
Why are the Dutch not mentioned ffs
>>
>>1310239
When the French do that, the thing where they insist they know more about where you are from than you do, just threaten them. Say "I'm going to hit you very hard right in the fucking head if you don't shut up"...and they will. They are petrified of confrontation. You can even play it off like you were just joking if you don't want to hurt their feelings, but they'll remember. They are like dogs, you have to show that you won't deal with their bullshit or else they walk all over you. Btw- they all seem to snap out of it around age 25 and become pretty cool. I really can't tell you why they mature so late, but when they do they're fine. They are also fine within France. I've found older French people and those who have never really left France are based as fuck (but you have to be able to speak a little bit of French).
>>
I went to France in 2008 and 2010

A number of french dudes would wink at me while I was shaking their hands

Were they signaling they are gay or was that a normal french greeting between young dudes?
>>
>>1310435
I have similar experience with brazilian guys touching my arm etc. but I was told that it's normal
>>
Just got back home from a few weeks abroad. Met a bunch of French people.

>be Belgian, speak decent French as a consequence
>check into hostel and run into group of francophone compatriots
>speak French, some go out of their way to speak Dutch
>have a good time with them

>meet more Frenchies there
>one of them lived in my city for 6 months
>goes out of his way to speak English despite my French being significantly better than his English
>good times were had by all in the hostel

>staying somewhere in bumhole nowhere in the steppes hostel/stopover restaurant/bar for locals
>French guy walks in
>get talking and share drinks
>meet him and a few other Frenchies again a few days later
>invites me to join traditional grape pressing
>work and hang out with them for a day
>good times all around

I honestly think you guys are often doing something wrong. While I've met some asshole Frenchies, the majority of them are decent people.
>>
>>1310452
>I honestly think you guys are often doing something wrong. While I've met some asshole Frenchies, the majority of them are decent people.

Being French myself I'm aware some of my fellow citizens are cunt, but I've found most of the time what annoyed foreigners was just cultural differences.
Like me going to Spain and complaining people talk too loud in public places, well yeah they kinda do but it's not to piss you off it's just normal for them
>>
File: 1504558956099.jpg (18 KB, 451x451)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
French women are my absolute weakness. I like to think of myself as a reasonably confident/non-autistic guy, but I'm reduced to a sweaty, blubbery mess whenever I try to chat up a French girl. When talking to older French people I can speak solid conversational French but if I'm in a bullshit conversation with a French girl near my age I'm forgetting how to conjugate tree like a fucking amateur. Goddamn.

>>1310391
In my experience Dutch people have been pretty cool guys
>>
>>1309745
>meet an Brit in a hostel
>has quality banter
>>
>>1310468
wanna know what pisses me off? people who stereotype.
>>
>>1310621
...yeah ?
>>
>>1310435
It's fairly normal. Men who know each other well may also kiss on the cheeks (tends to be air kisses rather than actual lips on cheeks, but it varies from person to person). DESU, this is a Latin thing. North Frenchies milking cows and LARPing about MUH VIKING NORDMEN rather than stepping on grapes fantasizing about MUH ROMAN LEGIONS may not do this.
>>
>>1310439
Yea, a real shocker, but other cultures have different ideas about personal space and body contact. Who would have ever though that not all humans are autismos?
>>
>>1310452
It's almost as if there's a language barrier or something...

But yea, I'm an anglo and I haven't had any huge problems with French people. I mean have more than once met some arrogant inconsiderate French shitstains at hostels (come in at 3:30 am, turn lights on, unzip everything loudly, talk loudly and joke around, proceed to make phone calls). But based on 4 people, I wouldn't judge everyone. I've met lots of cool French bros too.
>>
>>1310703

yeah it's fairly normal in france, after they wink i just whip out my dick and they go to work
>>
>>1310233
>I have met my share of arrogant French cunts while travelling, that I cannot deny. The French in France itself are fine.

My experiences were totally opposite. I've lived in France to two years and I met quite a few French outside France, and I found it easier to get along with the latter. I spent most of my time in Ile-de-France, though. Among French in France the ones I got along best were those from mixed families, and those who spent some time living abroad.
>>
>>1310281
>It's kind of funny, Europeans will get puzzled when you mix up their country but when Europeans try to guess the state outside Texas, California, New York, and Florida. They are fucking clueless.

That't be understandable if you only mixed up Swiss cantons, or German states, but you're mixing up whole countries. Europeans are unlikely to mix US with Mexico.
>>
>>1311277
swiss cantons are all tiny, many US states are bigger than all of switzerland
>>
>>1311282
Sure, but they remain states. China, Russia and Brazil also have huge states bigger than many European countries, doesn't mean most people are able to put them on a map, whereas they could with the whole countries
Obviously I don't expect an American to be able to name all the Balkan countries on a map correctly, and I don't expect Europeans to know where the fuck Idaho or Missouri are. But I've seen American not knowing where to put France or Italy on a map and that is fucking hilarious

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.