[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: taiwan.jpg (6.65 MB, 5616x1872)
6.65 MB
6.65 MB JPG
What's the deal with Taiwan?

Is it a good place to:
>eat
>hike
>camp
>hang out
>get riggity wrecked
?

Is Taiwan really numbah one?
>>
>>1326631

i don't know but i'm going to travel there next year, no idea what to expect
>>
>>1326631
>eat
Yes
>hike
Yes
>camp
Depends on the region
>hang out
Yes
>get rekt
Yes

Taiwan is a great country for holidays, even though a lot of its beauty is hard to reach as a foreigner
>>
>>1326631
Yes, yes, yes, yes and only in Taipei.
Outside of Taipei you'll have a hard time finding decent bars.

>>1326661
>even though a lot of its beauty is hard to reach as a foreigner
No idea why you say that. A lot of the scenic areas on the east are easy to reach.

The high mountains a bit harder, because they're... well, high mountains. Most of the time the only way to reach the trailhead is by car, but since hitchhiking in Taiwan is piss-easy, even that is doable.
Most high mountain trails require a permit, which you need to apply more than a week in advance. Taiwanese have to do the same, the application is online and available in English and on top of it all, free, so no discrimination here either. I fully understand it, the population density of the island is extreme, so limiting the numbers of people trampling over protected areas makes sense.
>>
>>1326639

What are you going to Taiwan for?
>>
>>1326690

I heard it's a better version of China. Since I need a visa to china I would rather go to Taiwan. Just traveling and seeing how it is
>>
>>1326712

>a better version of China

That should just become Taiwan's travel advertisement slogan
>>
>>1326631
what graphics card are you running for that image?
>>
>>1326787

OP here. I couldn't say, I did a generic search for Taiwan in Google images and that came up, so I went with it.
>>
File: 1509562611648.jpg (117 KB, 900x1200)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
What's getting laid in Taiwan like compared to Korea/Japan/China?
>>
>>1327702

i think taiwanese girls are more slutty than chinese girls and koreans, but about the same sluttyness as japanese (shy at first but easy to lay)
>>
>>1327704
Do they like Americans?
>>
>>1327707
Of course.
>>
>>1326631
My friend went there last October and said it was a fantastic place. Food was for the most part great and enjoyed staying in Taipei and taking the train to other parts of the country. Gave him a film point and shoot for his trip and he took some good photos but I don’t have them on hand to show at the moment.

>>1327707
Same friend said yes. The person he went with was a friend here at home but is native to the country and one of his cousins was a prostitute that made advances on him because he wasn’t from around there.
>>
>>1327719
What are Taiwanese ppl like compared to other East Asian countries?
>>
Stop advertising unspoiled locations on a site that has millions of visitors.

Unwashed plebs go to Thailand pls.
>>
>>1326786
it actually is the old version of China. A good lesson about what went wrong in China (and Russia).
>>
>>1327704
Justin Lee would agree
>>
>>1327724
More modern, more open, better english, more independent.
>>
>>1327854

some anon on here claimed the food was poisonous

trying to scare people into not going?
>>
>Taiwan has the modernity of east asia but you can also feel like you're in SEA when you get out into the wilderness. You can stand inside Taipei 101 and then gaze on it from a mountaintop within an hour's time. It's a great choice all-around but often overshadowed by the surrounding countries.

>>1326712
Yes, Taiwan is better unless you specifically want to see the great wall or some other overrated chinese shit.

>>1327702
The girls are less vapid yet more horny for white cock than Koreans.

>>1327858
I've heard people on 4chan say this but never knew anyone who got food poisoning. In fact when I was living in Taipei for 7 months, I never even caught a basic cold.
>>
>>1326631
cgi trees?
wat??
>>
>>1327875

1. how much is typical monthly rent in taipei?
2. what is the difference between new taipei and old taipei?
>>
>>1327912
Better to answer the second question first.

New Taipei is the biggest misnomer in the world. It's "new" in that it's newly established as a separate city, but it's generally much less modern than "old" Taipei (nobody calls it "old Taipei", just Taipei".

Some parts of New Taipei are habitable and decently nice - particularly the areas close to Taipei. If you look at google maps there's a section of New Taipei near the green metro line that is nice. But, the further you get from Taipei, shit starts to get third-world. I had an interview in Tucheng district far out on the blue metro line, and it was nasty. Dogs running wild, motorcycle shops, garbage everywhere.

Honestly just stick to central Taipei. Rent is not too bad there, I paid $500 usd a month with two roommates for a place in an excellent location. 10-minute walk to three different metro lines, and 10-minute bikeride to the downtown core.
>>
I keep wanting to go to Taiwan/Taipei as well but I feel like I'll need to do shitloads of research before going there as I'll probably be going alone
thing is I kind of winged it when I went to China and it could've gone better had I prep'd properly, since I'm not the most social kind of person

so I figured that one way to get someone's personal view of Taipei/Taiwan is if there's maybe a nice documentary about the people/culture/life/stuff over there
....so is there? I only find vlogsluts going to sushi places and Taipei 101 vids
>>
I seriously want to move to Taiwan. Its been my dream for a while now.

As a 6"2 White guy, I can probably get by on modeling and advertisements right?

What jobs are in demand there over the span of the next 5 years? I'll legitimately kill myself if I have to stay in Toronto and finish my law degree.

I know its not super English friendly, but are there areas that are mostly accessible to English-only speakers? I want to learn the language but its so tough
>>
>>1329441
>As a 6"2 White guy, I can probably get by on modeling and advertisements right?
Pretty unlikely honestly. Even if you look like a god, you'll need to either speak fluent Mandarin or have contacts inside the Taiwanese modelling industry (preferably both) if you want to actually make a living with it. You might secure a few gigs here and there just by looks and fumbling through interviews without speaking the language, but it's very unlikely you'd make enough to sustain yourself.
>>
Why are all the ESL places so shitty in Taiwan?
>>
>>1329460
Because it is a poor country with low wages.
>>
I thought taiwan was pretty shit, but probably because it was the last leg of my trip after japan.

Food is fine. As for stuff to see: hardly anything memorable for me. Took a taxi to jiufen, that was okay, but crowded as shit especially when we went in July. Sweaty.

As for the arts and if you're into quirky neighbourhoods (whatever that's supposed to mean), Shanghai and Tokyo completely trump Taiwan.

Tinder was okay for me, went out with one chick that didn't put out.

Only went clubbing on the last night but it was very average.
>>
I am going to be travelling to Korea and I can save $1000 on my ticket if I leave a day early and spend a night and day in Taipei.

How far is the airport from the rest of the city. Would I be able to do much in one day? Will be with my gf.
>>
>>1329781
The airport used to be a real bitch to get to from the city, but they installed a subway line relatively recently that made my last trip more convenient. It's around 30-60 minutes and it goes straight from the airport to downtown. I'd definitely go for it, even if you don't end up loving it, it's $1000 cheaper and pretty convenient. There's tons to do for your day, depending on what you want to do. You can go see temples, museums, Taipei 101, or the port area during the day, and then go to a nightmarket for the night. It's really safe, so the worst case scenario is that you end up being kind of bored for a night and save 1000, but I really doubt you'd be bored since there is a lot you can choose to do for a day.
>>
>>1329788
Sounds good. Have you ever flown with China Airlines?
I usually go with JAL or Korean Air but they are both significantly more expensive at the moment. I am pretty hesitant to trust something Chinese though.
>>
>>1329789
I've never flown with them, but China Airlines is apparently a Taiwanese airline (as in Republic of China, the official name of Taiwan). It looks like a pretty good airline and doesn't have anything to do with the mainland, but I don't think I've had any personal experience.
>>
>>1329523
>Tinder was okay for me, went out with one chick that didn't put out.
>Only went clubbing on the last night but it was very average.

because you're ugly / boring

>>1329781

Airport is 50 minute train ride from central Taipei. You can see a lot in one day.
>>
>>1329790
Oh fair enough then. I figured they must have been Taiwanese what with their flights stopping in Taipei (JAL stops in Tokyo and Korean Air stops at Incheon).
Their /au/en site doesn't load for me which made me question their quality.
https://www.china-airlines.com/au/en
Does this site load for you?
>>
>>1329793
Works fine for me.
>>
>>1329795
That's fucked up. It doesn't work on any of my devices in any browser or when using mobile internet.
The other country sites work fine, just /au/ isn't working for me.
>>
>>1329797
>>1329795
>>1329793
wtf. I just tried opening https://www.china-airlines.com/au and it redirected me to https://www.china-airlines.com/au/en and successfully loaded this time instead of just giving me a white page like it has for the past two days.
>>
>>1329451
He could also suck a lot of cocks.
>>
>>1328106
>central Taipei. Rent is not too bad there, I paid $500 usd a month with two roommates

I pay $600 a month for a top-floor penthouse with an ocean view, no roommates, and 20 minutes from the beach, in Danshui.
>>
>>1327912
1. See >>1329804
2. "New Taipei City" is just the new name for Taipei County. The entire county got filled up with development, and people were tired of living in "the county". It's a stupid name because Taipei is a chunk out of the center of Taipei County, and so now "New Taipei City" is a giant donut that encompasses everything from the north shore beaches to the gangster-infested slums of Sanchong to the concrete jungle of Yonghe to the no-longer-really-rural areas around Elephant Mountain and even Sanxia. "I live in New Taipei City!" is about as pointlessly nondescriptive as saying "I live in L.A.!"
>>
>>1327858
That was me, and it is. Still better than China, Vietnam, or Thailand in terms of food safety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Taiwan_food_scandal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Taiwan_food_scandal

These were just the two biggest recent ones. The same problem is everywhere; the government intentionally covers things up because the scumbags poisoning the food pay a shitload of bribes to government officials at all levels. It's nothing new, though:

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-12/news/mn-3195_1_suburban-apartment

Note that this article, from 1994, is chock full of disinformation put out by the Taiwanese government. They never tried to clear things up or to run systematic tests; they prosecuted and destroyed the career of the dentist who discovered the radioactive contamination. Also, the source of the cobalt-60 wasn't "imported steel from the West", it was from a decommissioned nuclear power plant in Taiwan, where the demolition contractor sold the scrapped containment vessel to local steel processors who turned it into rebar. They've known this for thirty years and the buildings are still up. People mostly have moved out, but there are a few destitute old people living in them because they have nowhere else to go.
>>
>>1327875
>never knew anyone who got food poisoning
I'm not talking about "food poisoning" you moron. Although I've gotten the shits plenty of times from eating the food here. I'm talking about REAL poisoning, as in ruining your kidneys and getting liver cancer and becoming sterile because scumbags are substituting industrial chemicals for the edible stuff you think you're buying.

If you're a tourist for two weeks, you probably won't die from it. If you live here long term, expect to need a kidney transplant later in life, and to not be able to father any more children after a few years, and to have a reduced life expectancy with poorer health compared to what you would have enjoyed if you stayed in the West.
>>
>>1329809
>and to have a reduced life expectancy with poorer health compared to what you would have enjoyed if you stayed in the West.
You know the life expectancy in Taiwan is higher than the USA and most of the EU right?
>>
>>1329806
>The food affected includes beverages, fruit juices, bread, sports drinks, tea, and jam.[4]
>Gutter oil
>tofu contains carcinogens
Jesus christ, can you eat anything there without worrying about it being poison?
>>
>>1329822
Don't try to reason with him, he's just pushing the same memes in every thread.
>>
>>1329822
The U.S. gets dragged down by the drug addicts and niggers. If you're a white person who isn't involved in crime, your life expectancy is significantly higher in the U.S.
>>
>>1329809
You're a fucking retard. Do you think the Taiwanese are all impotent and cancer-ridden? And if you're really concerned, don't eat at the buffet every day like a fat western fuck.

Personally, I ate there every second day, was never healthier. Ate the vegetables and rice, avoided the fried foods.
>>
>>1329781
Update, turns out I can stay more than just one day, I checked up to 7 and the ticket price was still the same.

How long is a good amount of time to stay in Taipei? I will arrive early in the morning ~5am and leave around 4pm, so one night already gives me a day and a half to explore.
Would I be alright getting around with only English and Korean?
>>
>>1330904
And is cash necessary there? I never carry cash in Australia because EFTPOS is ubiquitous, except for dodgy places that I refuse to patronise anyway.
>>
>>1330904
Up to 4 days is good for Taipei.
Korean is useless but English is widely spoken by people under 30, though not fluently.
Cash is necessary for small restaurants and market stalls, which are the recommended places to eat at in Taiwan.
>>
>>1330905
You can definitely get by without it, but it might be handy to carry some around. At least with my card company there was a significant fee to use it (and it sometimes didn't work at all), so I'd always take out large amounts of cash for purchases. If you have a good deal for international travel then that might work, cash is mostly mandatory for things like night markets.
>>
>>1330905
Most people in Taiwan use cash. Tourist hotels and major restaurants will accept credit cards, but small restaurants and shops don't take anything except cash.

You might as well bring American Express Travelers Cheques. Those were always a laugh.
>>
>>1329955
There's a reason the birth rate is around 1.1 instead of a normal healthy replacement rate of 2.1. But apparently you're too fucking stupid to understand that sort of thing.
>>
>>1331816
Is it not because they are a first world Asian nation with a declining birth rate like every other first world nation especially other Asian ones?
Or are the Japs and Koreans poisoning themselves too?
>>
>>1331816
You know there's generally a negative correlation between birth rate and economic development right? You're actually making the point that Taiwan is a reasonably well off first world country and you don't realize it.
>>
>>1331816
I know you're trolling, and so here's your reply, however it's dangerous to let your post go unchallenged, so here are some sources that verify

a. Taiwan is not alone in having low birth rates
b. The low birth rate is a result of changing values and greater economic prosperity, among others

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/fertility/world-fertility-patterns-2015.pdf (united nations source)

https://www.indexmundi.com/map/?v=25&r=as&l=en (raw stats)

https://www.voanews.com/a/asia-experiences-huge-birth-rate-decline-113849344/133649.html

Now fuck off.
>>
Going to Taipei tomorrow for 4 days. Researched a shit ton and it seems to be basically a cheap downgraded version of Japan with Chinese people and no weebfags screaming where are muh animu girls.
>>
>>1329955
www dot taiwannews dot com dot tw slash en slash news slash 3312369
fucking anti-spam filter
> Taiwan has highest death rate from cancer in Asia
>TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Taiwan is facing a serious problem of cancer due to the high rates of deaths caused by the disease (around 28%), making the country rank first in the Asia-Pacific region.
>In the WHO's recent health statistics using Disability-Adjusted Life Year (DALY) metrics, the percentage of deaths caused by cancer in Taiwan is over 28.1 percent, making the country rank first in the Asia-Pacific region. Other countries following on the list are Singapore (22.7 percent), Australia (18.8 percent), and China (16.6 percent), reported by NowNews.
Taiwan Numbah One!
>>
>>1333287
What's the reason for the cancer rate? The food? Because China has even worse food and they're lower.
>>
>>1333333

Nice get
>>
>>1333333
Wow nice numbers budo
>>
>>1333287
Just like all the other disgusting cancer-ridden shitholes with even higher rates, such as Denmark, Australia, Norway, and Belgium.
>>
>>1333363
Nah, you heard him. Don't eat the restaurant food in developed countries or you'll get cancer.
>>
File: taiwantrain.jpg (308 KB, 2048x1519)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
>>1326631
>eat
Yes, if you love food you will love Taiwan. One of the best street food experiences i had.
>hike
There are mountains but some do need a permit? The hot springs are nice.
>camp
Never tried it.
>hang out
For sure, plenty of pretty nice spots to take it easy.
>get riggity wrecked
Most bars do free flow drinks so yeah go wild.
>>
File: 1464608011816.jpg (180 KB, 532x783)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
Going to be flying in to TPE early in the morning, staying a day and night and then flying out the next evening. Which area should I be looking at for the best hotels? <4500NTD for two people preferred.

I am on a pretty similar timezone to Taiwan, so will be able to go straight to doing stuff without worrying about jetlag.
>>
>>1334167
near Taipei Main Station is where most tourists stay, it's where the bus and metro line from the airport stop at.
>>
It China, but civilized.
>>
>>1330904
>How long is a good amount of time to stay in Taipei?
Honestly, I think you can polish off Taipei in a few days. I did a one-week trip in Taiwan; 5 days in Taipei, 2 in Kaohsiung. I wish I did at least one more day in Kaohsiung, it was surprisingly cool. I also felt I overstayed in Taipei. If I had an infinite amount of time, I would've tried for the east side.

>Would I be alright getting around with only English and Korean?
I literally used Korean only once when I was in Taipei, and that was only because the hostel I was staying in had a Korean receptionist.
The only other time I heard Korean in Taipei was when I was waiting in line at the Din Tai Fung restaurant (shit was crazy, but it's another story).

If you don't speak Mandarin (or I should say, the Taiwanese variant of Mandarin), your next best bet would be to speak English or Japanese. Good luck if you can't speak any sort of Chinese, because their English isn't perfect. I once had trouble ordering a simple combo at a McDonald's.

Phrases to know:
>Nihao = Hello
>Xiexie = Thank you
>Duibuqi = Sorry
>Wo bu mingbai = I don't understand
I had to repeat the last two a lot.
>>
File: DSC00291.jpg (4.85 MB, 3376x6000)
4.85 MB
4.85 MB JPG
>>1332903
Kaohsiung is moe as fuck. Their metro system uses animu posters as policy enforcement, and they're surprisingly well-drawn.
>>
>>1334214
>can't even drink
How enforced is this? That seems nuts to me.
>>
>>1334210
>Din Tai Fung
As a PSA to anyone who might read the thread, do go to Din Tai Fung, it's delicious, but I recommend going at around 3PM on a weekday. You'll miss the lunch and dinner rush, and any time I've gone at that time I've gotten from a 0-5 minute wait time. If you go at dinner time (or God forbid at dinner on a weekend) you can expect to wait for ~1 hour at least.
>>
>>1334328
I’ve been to DTF in HK and Shenzhen and desu I haven’t been impressed. A further indication that Michelin ratings are meaningless imo.
>>
>>1334350
I've only ever been to ones in Taiwan, but I was fairly impressed. I think Michelin ratings are a decent guideline with a lot of subjectivity in them, but I've at least enjoyed every Michelin star restaurant I've eaten in quite a bit. I don't know, maybe if you aren't a dumpling fan it would suck, but especially for a meal that only costs like 15 USD I was very happy there, compared to somewhere like the UK where you can spend $50+ for food that I'd say isn't really better. Like I said though, it's subjective as hell so even if I loved DTF I can see someone else just thinking it's mediocre.
>>
>>1334214
>NT$1,500
NEETS HAVE CURRENCY?!
>>
>>1334384
I wouldn’t call that food mediocre, and I agree it’s a good bang for your buck. But a dumpling is a dumpling and the novelty wears fast, and they are not so good as to queue for hours to have them (and I know you covered this point already, couldn’t agree more about avoiding peak hours).
In both instances I’ve been invited by peoples who really wanted to treat me so I pretended I was really having the dim sums of my life, but then again what I love about these foods is the variety, so focusing on dumplings that all had the same texture and MO (bite, let the soup flow, slurp, eat) was kinda boring tbqh. And the sides they ordered (including some tofu rolls with herbs that I really didn’t like) were not the best I’ve had either.
My understanding is that DTF has what Michelin calls a «macaron» which is not a star but a kind of recognition from people who are not official Michelin tasters? To me a Michelin award rewards the skills, research and general pursuit of culinary excellence of a chef and his crew, and hardly applies to a generic, easy to replicate recipe.

I realize this long winded rant makes me sound more salty about DTF than I really am, I’m actually just *not impressed*, so didn’t feel the hype.
Yet I’ve seen people in Shanghai line up for hours at a Magnum Ice cream shop. There would be up to 1,5 hour waiting time at any time of the day when they opened the first Burger King where I live. Why people would line up for hours to try something that
- is mass produced
- is not in limited supply
- will still be available in days/weeks/months
is beyond me.
Anyway by all means keep enjoying DTF!
>>
File: DSC00308.jpg (4.38 MB, 3376x6000)
4.38 MB
4.38 MB JPG
>>1334239
It's actually hard to answer this, since a) I actually haven't seen a single passenger eating/drinking on the train, and b) I haven't seen any sort of metro staff on the trains.

The closest thing I've seen was actually in Taipei, not Kaohsiung (so different metro system altogether). I saw some dude enter the station, taking a swig from a water bottle immediately after passing the turnstiles. A security guard actually stopped him. And this was outside of any trains.

>>1334388
kek
Taiwan likes to abbreviate their currency into "NT$" (New Taiwan Dollar) instead of the standard ISO code (TWD). $1500 TWD = roughly $50 USD. Damn, that's a pretty steep fine for an essential bodily function.
>>
>>1334328
I've been to Din Tai Fung at the worst possible times (10 minutes before opening, and during typical dinner hours), at their most popular location (Xinyi, their first location). I was seated rather quickly, I would say no more than 5 minutes, and they quoted me a much longer number (10-15).

>>1334350
I'm really sorry to hear that, but if you're willing to hear me out, I've heard that the location can actually make a pretty big difference. For instance, somebody once told me that the Seattle location is complete ass, and wasn't impressed until he tried the Xinyi location. I don't know how a chain restaurant can range that differently in quality, but I guess that's why it's word of mouth.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.