[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 324147-2.jpg (33 KB, 448x298)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese. What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/
Note that most of these companies are owned by the same group so behave.

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1325139
>>
What would /trv/ recommend a first timer to Tokyo see in 3 days? I am staying in Ginza the first night and then in Asakusa the last two.
>>
>>1330056
Maybe
1 day Shinjuku, Kabukicho
1 day Meiji Jingu, Harajuku, Shibuya
1 day Senso-ji, Asakusa

but since you're staying in the eastern part of the city, maybe spend more time there: so Senso-ji, Ginza/Yuurakucho, Tsukiji, Edo-Tokyo-museum etc.
>>
>>1330060
Akihabara too, i guess
>>
Can you guys take a look at this itinerary I made for a 5 days trip in Tokyo? It's very open-ended and still lacking some activities for the last days. Would love some reccomendations\ideas (may them be weeb or non weeb, i'm open to anything but clubs).

https://travefy.com/trip/ggrx2jex7grk7uq3narq28wxbgrx2
>>
>>1330064
i would recommend more spontaneity. you don't need to plan out every hour before you go, just make a list of places you definitely want to see and otherwise let yourself discover the city while you're there instead of following a list you made at home with the help of second-hand knowledge from a guidebook
>>
>>1330067
to add to this: it can feel like you're missing out on something if you don't go to all of the places on your list but in the end it's always more rewarding to go with the moment and look for unique experiences rather than check off places.
>>
I asked this in the old thread but what's the deal with the portable wifi? Do I need one if I have an international data plan from my carrier?
>>
>traveling to japan tokyo between 12/27 and 1/7
Yay or nay? From what I get the trains are packed with nips around new year. Also a question to the anons form the last thread (if they are still lurking) that planned to stay over new year, what have you planned, anything you would recommend?
>>
>>1330092
I am personally avoiding traveling this time as much as possible. I'm going to be in Japan 21 days and just plan on that time being in Tokyo. I hope day trips will be ok? I planned on going to Nikko.
>>
>>1330092
>From what I get the trains are packed with nips around new year.
It's always fucking packed if you go during peak hours, and on main lines.

If you go just be prepared for a lot of shit, regardless the place I'd vouch against traveling during that part of the year internationally
>>
File: 1511415635368.jpg (18 KB, 300x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1330092
I wil go to Shibuya cross or Meiji Shrine. Dunno yet, it depends on the family im staying with. Hopefully some anons want to hang out.
>>
>>1330092
I went last year on those exact days and it was fine, going again from the 27th to the 8th this time year. Not gonna be a problem lad, just avoid the rush hour like any other time.
>>
>>1330074
Portable wifi is for people who don't have an international plan. If you can just use your phone's regular data plan then don't bother.
>>
Anyone in Tokyo right now? I'm staying in Shinjuku and not sure what to do, I'm really sick of crowds after spending last week in Kyoto/Hakone/etc.
>>
Has anyone been rejected for a tourist visa after arriving to japan? That's my fear right now. I stayed there 2 months this year and will fly back in January. This time for 3 months probably.
>>
>>1330176

>Did you commit an actual crime? (drunk tank doesn't count)
>Did you lie about the last time you were there?
>Does japan have any rules against you visiting X many times for Y days within Z time frame?
>Does your country have any active conflicts with Japan?

If you answer no to all those I don't see why you would be denied, if you wanna calm your nerves call your embassy rep but chances are he'll just direct you to to your countries travel policies.
>>
>>1330176
Why would they reject you? As long as you didn't overstay your visa and you're not clearly trying to game the system by hopping back and forth (3 months there, 2 days in korea, 3 months there, etc.) they really don't give a shit how often you visit and for how long.
>>
>>1330180

Maybe I'm paranoid. I'm flying there without a return ticket because I'll be going to other countries in Asia. Should I make a fake return ticket? Just in case. Ok I'm paranoid.
>>
>>1330182
>I'm flying there without a return ticket because I'll be going to other countries in Asia.
Why not just show the ticket for the other countries you will be going to then?
>Should I make a fake return ticket?
Absolutely not.
>Ok I'm paranoid.
I'd be more paranoid about trying to forge my way in than an visa denial. Last time I was there they just asked "when do you plan to leave", never even asked for a return ticket
>>
>>1330179
They begin denying after about the 3rd trip if you aren't out the country for atleast 6 months. Had a pretty wealthy coworker who started working remotely that loved Japan. After his initial stint he got told he could only be in Japan for 6 months in the year since he was coming too frequently and it had to be broken up by significant gaps.
>>
>>1330182
I'd print a fake passport as well, just to be sure.
>>
Any experience with TEFL? I’m getting heavily pressured into doing it instead of my original plan of straight to working in the service industry when I hopefully move to Japan. Was it worth it?
Also I am a Jap. Don’t ask why I’m in this situation.
>>
>>1330238
Stop calling yourself a Jap if you're actually Japanese. Have some fucking respect for yourself. Maybe you wouldn't need to choose among some of the worst jobs in Japan if you did
>>
Currently prepping for a trip to Tokyo, will also be visiting Nikko for onsen and hiking.
I'm not sure I'm prepared for the weather, though. Temps range from -10-0C, current clothes I have are:
>Merino base
>Fleece hoodie
>Down jacket (650 fill)
And I'm still chilly here at 4C in Yorkshire with a little wind. Would it be worth it to invest in a warmer jacket like a parka for weather like that?
>>
>>1330201

I planned to go to Japan for a month, leave, and come back one month later. I feel like it's safer to just stay there 3 months and leave for a while.
>>
>>1330291
I lost self-respect and the respect of my peers back in college. I don’t even care anymore. I want to be depressed and have a rather entertaining rest of my life in Japan rather than be depressed and a dull rest of my life now.
>>
>>1330402
If entertainment is what you're looking for, don't become an English teacher unless you get entertainment from sitting at a desk all day doing nothing.
>>
>>1330295
What kind of a down jacket is that?
>>
im going to okayama later this year. How much japanese can i learn in a year? will it be enough to get around? what shouldnt i miss in okayama? might also do tokyo for a few days.
>>
>>1330447
>How much japanese can i learn in a year?
Depends how much you study, you should know some short sentences though and recognize some letters/words
>will it be enough to get around?
You can know none and get around, just some will help when ordering food.
>>
>>1330449
ty my man
>>
So how much pussy can an above average looking white male get in Japan off tha strength of his swag and charm.
>>
>>1330457
Depends what bars you go to and where you are willing to walk after 10pm, fairly easy imo if you aren't a hamplanet
>>
>>1330457
Embarrassingly easy but don’t expect “high class” girls to give you much attention since they have options.
>>
>>1330457
>>1330461
>>1330470

fuck off we're full
>>
>>1330487
>fuck off we're full

No, you aren't. Whores exist all over fucking tokyo and any major city with women looking to score for some yen. Seriously, it's not that hard, and there are plenty around so long as you go drink a bit and walk around some not so main streets.
>>
>>1330489

nip women are for nip men fuck off gaijin poo
>>
>>1330490
I know you're shitposting but the fact that people actually unironically think this way is hilarious
>>
Do you have to go outside of Tokyo for hot springs?
>>
Hey how is the bus from Shinjuku to Disneyland?
Anyone take it?
>>
Do Japanese men wear shorts in the summer? I hear that it's seen as childish.
>>
>>1330554
Regardless of nationality, who gives a shit? Wear whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>1330447
Knew a guy who went from nothing to N1 in a year.

But he also got stuck in the middle of nowhere on his JET program in a town with everyone being either over 45 or under 18
>>
Currently in Sapporo and I am wondering if there's any used camera/lens store here like kitamura or fujiya?
>>
>>1330074
Was in Fukuoka half a year ago. Not very touristy yet had free WiFi everywhere.
>>
Got my Working Holiday visa approved yesterday, I'm arriving at Narita Dec. 9 for a whole year. Anyone has any experience with a long-term stay like that? Is getting a part-time too much of a pain in the ass? Trying to figure out how the fuck I'm going to pack a bag with enough clothes for 12 months (I'm 6'1 so I'm pretty sure finding cheap clothes that fit me is not happening)
Also from 9th to 14th I'm gonna be dicking around in Tokyo until I go get a job, if anyone is up for drinks or whatever let me know
>>
>>1330589
I applied for JET this year and honestly that is what I want top happen to me. It may seem strange but I have always wanted to learn Japanese, yet I am far too lazy to do so at home. I think the only way I can do it is if I am completely immersed and need it to survive/communicate.
>>
>>1330522
Definitely check out that hot spring resort on odaiba
>>
>>1330612
Whoa, I'm only staying there for a month and a half, but I'm pretty low on budget so I was thinking about finding a job(probably something under the table since I won't have a working permit)

What's exactly your plan? Not sure what Working Holiday Visa implies, but 1 year is a long time man
>>
>>1330522
Go to Hakone
>>
>>1330295
are you mad skinny
>>
>>1330654
It's basically a work visa you can get for free, the embassy gives a limited amount every year to people 18-30 as a way of cultural exchange. I'm an Argie so we only got 50, and I lucked out.
My basic plan right now is going over to Hokkaido or something and work a ski resort during the season since many of those places will give you free lodging, cheap food and plenty of actually paid overtime, which should allow me to save some money so I can later have some leeway to just wander around Japan, then try to get a job somewhere in the Kansai region and see where to go from there. Honestly beyond that I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>1330695
I would be very interested in your plan and possibly joining it(unless you'd rather be alone).

Anyways, I have a friend in Tokyo that I can stay with(indefinitely, so I don't exactly need to find a job), so hit up this thread on the 9th and hopefully I'm still browsing it. Call me comicket anon or something
>>
>>1330295
Beware if you're attempting to hike any of the actual mountains around Nikko, they do get a shit ton of snow and pretty much require you to be an experienced alpine climber to hike up. Flatlands behind Lake Chuzenji around Yumoto should be fine.
>>
>>1330627
I'm leaving the JET Program next year and that's what my situation is like. If you get in, you just might end up where I am.
>>
>>1330695
Random argie aca tambien. Probablemente me quede un par de meses viviendo en Tokyo pero no tengo planes muy rigidos tampoco. Seguramente este por ahí desde enero en adelante, si te pinta tomar una birra y estas cerca me avisas jaja.
>>
>>1330778
Where are you placed? You don't need to be specific but even just a prefecture would be appreciated.

Also, how far away from your preferred locations were you placed (if you had any)?
>>
>>1330854
I'm in Iwate, but that alone will probably be doxing me since there's like 30 of us.

I requested three cities, all towards the south of Japan, and an urban area. I probably have one of the most rural placements in one of the most rural prefectures.
>>
>>1330581
I want to fit in with the Japanese.
>>
>>1330869
Honestly if you are anything other than chink never fit in. Don't bother trying, you'll be labeled a tourist or businessman or maybe english teacher. Don't bother with anything else.

The best way to fit in unironically is being respectful of the culture, manners, and being polite.
>>
>>1330870
>>1330869
At best you'll be the gaijin people like more than they dislike. If you want to wear shorts wear the fucking shorts. Nobody respects beta manlets too afraid to wear the clothes they want, Jesus Christ.

Do what anon said and be polite and courteous and say please and thank you. You know, basic common decency, manners, and sense.
>>
Are there any lesser known tips for saving money in Tokyo? My flight was $450, my hotel stay is free with points, and I'm trying to spend as little money as possible.
>>
>>1330893
don't eat
>>
>>1330893
to correct >>1330895 Don't eat street food, you're going to be ripped off. Waygu/kobe is going to be "the thing you must have" but is' meh at best unless you got actual dosh.

If you're going to drink do nomihodai, some places will do it for 1000 or so yen, you'll save assload.
If you need something look for 100 yen lawsons, they aren't as frequent but still get the job done
Go for a day pass instead of just a station to station thing, I think it's like 500 or 1000 yen for the day all around tokyo.
Take the bus from NRT if you're landing there, it's cheaper than the NEX going and coming
Save purchasing souvenirs till the last day at the place you're visiting
>>
>>1330893
>Are there any lesser known tips for saving money in Tokyo?
I'm curious too so I'll bump, but what are the more known tips for saving money?
I'm going to do some subscription thing at a manga cafe and just sleep few hours there and move from cities to cities on foot and train.
>>
>>1330853

Aca en Chile se acaba de aprobar la visa (quizas a mediados del proximo año estara lista) y estaba pensando en irme para alla 1 año, el problema es que no tengo claro como es el tema del trabajo alla, se puede vivir con un trabajo de medio tiempo en un lugar como tokyo o es cosa de irse a vivir a los exremos norte/sur.
>>
>>1330933
Be prepared when doing that a lot of places HATE foreigners Game busters is the best for doing that though. most all places have a shower
>>
>>1330893

Don't buy the JR pass if you value your money. Buy metro tickets/bus tickes (daily ones are 500 yen) and move by bus from one big city to the other, the only thing the JR pass is good for is to save a couple hours on the long hour rides.
>>
>>1330939
Depends on the busline and how far, be careful. in and around tokyo this is the way to go
>>
>>1330938
Oh thanks anon, I was asking about this kind of information on manga cafe last thread but nobody answered.
I'll remember Game Busters. Any other tips when it comes to manga cafes?

Also, I should be okay. I'm Asian and I was born in Japan despite not really living there
>>
I want to go see some badass cherry blossoms, but I can't get off work until around the 23rd of April. Is it worth venturing up to northern Japan to check them out, or is it not as scenic up there? Am I fucked or nah?
>>
>>1330940

For example. doing Tokyo - Kyoto with the JR pass is not worth it at all, because then you reach kyoto you can move with the same 500 yena day bus tickets, and if you buy the 14 day one there is no way you're gonna make up the money for it on rides.
>>
>>1330939
This is terrible advice.

JR pass is such a good deal that Japanese people can't get it. If you use the Shinkansen 2-3 times in one week it has completely been paid for. The most popular journey of Tokyo to Kyoto to Osaka to Hiroshima and back is ridiculously expensive if you actually live in the country, but a steal on the 2 week pass, especially once you get out of Tokyo so many more of the lines inside the cities are run by JR.
>>
>>1330766
>comiket anon

wow yeah super specific, definitely not gonna be any confusion there
>>
>>1330960
JR pass is an amazing deal if you plan to use the shinkansen more than the cost of the JR ticket.

Look at this.

Tokyo>Kyoto>Osaka>Hiroshima>Osaka>Tokyo

It costs 12k yen each way so doing this trip alone would cost you 50k yen and it will add up to only 8 hours in total of travel time. You're saving both time and money if you plan to go long distances.

JR pass is only not worth it if you only plan to use the shinkansen less times than the total price of the ticket. I'm not getting one this trip because I'll be using the shinkansen only once so I won't need a JR pass at all.
>>
>>1330968
If this was /jp/ maybe. First time that I've been posting in these threads and they seem to be going pretty slow, last thread I tried to get some anons to come to comicket with me.

Whatever, I just want to see some degenerates from here
>>
>>1330960
>If you use the Shinkansen 2-3 times in one week
Read the original post. He specified in Tokyo.
>>
>>1330971
You could take the shinkansen from Tokyo station to Ueno.
>>
>>1330971
Oh well then no shit. My monthly commuter pass from one side of Tokyo to the other that passes through a large portion of the best areas in Tokyo is far cheaper than the one week JR pass
>>
>>1330060
>1 day Senso-ji, Asakusa
A whole day for one temple? More like 20 minutes.
My itinerary was:
Day 1: Asakusa, Shibuya, Meiji shrine, Shinjuku, City government building, Chiyoda (imperial palace)
Day 2: Imperial palace gardens (was already closed when I was there on day 1), Odaiba, City government building in the evening, Akiba
Day 3: Yokohama, Kamakura, Shibuya in the evening
>>
File: akato-yamamoto8.jpg (870 KB, 1112x1280)
870 KB
870 KB JPG
So what do you guys think about time spend in the major cities?
I was thinking 3-4 days each for Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. I have no idea if thats enough, or i will get bored or run out of time. I have a total of 21 days so i am in no rush
>>
I have a 9am flight leaving narita. Would it be better to book a hotel by the airport or just wake up early enough to catch a train from Tokyo?
>>
Using Expedia I'm saving 10k yen with the one week Japan Rail Pass.
Though I only do moderate trips after moving from Tokyo to Osaka.

Just check hyperdia.com before buying one. It shouldn't be that hard.
>>
>>1331001
Are you doing any day trips from osaka, such as nara or a day at universal studios? if you aren't i doubt theres enough for 4 days unless you go really really slow through the city, a day at each of the above gives you two days for things in the city which i think is a good amount and definitely fits all the top things in.

From what i got through in a sinlge day in kyoto i dont think you'd need more than 2 days to see all the best sites. in one day i saw fushimi inari, arashiyama bamboo grove + monkey park + togetsukyo bridge + plus beautiful river area there (all right near each other), then nishiki market area and the center of town there to get dinner. I started very early to avoid the crowd but then really really took my time at each place.
In a second day there you could do a couple more temples (kiyomizu dera for example), philosephers path etc.

tokyo could need a bit more depending on how long you like to look at different areas. but 4 days could definitely let you see a lot.

if you like nature and long walks/hikes you should consider hiroshima too, miyajima is amazing and so is sandankyo gorge. But both are pretty long walks, just did 14km/9miles yesterday in sandankyo and it was very pretty). Also bunny island was pretty great if you like the little fluffers and the island itselfhas some cool ruins and old shit to see. (if you go get more than 1 bag of rabbit snacks because there are so many and the ALL run up to you for snacks and you will feel bad when you run out
>>
Only three weeks to go until my trip.

The hype is growing to some crazy level.
>>
>>1331013
How are the ferry times for Okunoshima, I want to visit but it seems the ferry times are quite bad for it if you dont plan to stay on the island.
>>
>>1331019
yeah it was a bit screwy to get to, not fantastic times on the train line down to where you get the ferry and like you say the ferry itself having random times. I just used google maps public transport option to find a time that lined up with my shinkansen going by there (i was on my way from osaka to hiroshima and did the island on the way).
Sorry but i dont know the actual timetable. Just play around with google maps to line it up with your trains basically and then pick a ferry each way that gives you a good amount of time on the island and smoothly takes you from train to train on the way back. Id say you probably want 4 hours on the island if you want to look at all the different ruins and poison gas museum, observatory on the mountain and hug lots of different bunnies.
>>
>>1331018
Yeah I'm going in March and only for an extended weekend but I'm counting down the days myself.
>>
>>1331018
Same here, its hard to really focus on other shit. I'm glad my deadlines are over.
>>
Gonna be staying in Japan for about a month, first time flying.
I can go there June the soonest, and will have upwards of 10k dollary doos to spend.
I'm considering either getting a homestay around Tokyo and hopping around the country for a while sporadically, viewing all kinds of shit, or going North to South, buying hotel rooms as needed.
I'll be traveling with a friend, both of us are weebs and I know a bit of Japanese (read genki, that's about it).
I like drinking, sight seeing, photography, anime shit, and that's about it.
Should I wait for later months? Notable places to visit? Towns to hang around in? General tips to not fuck myself over?

Anything really will be appreciated.
>>
>>1330960

But why would you move EVERYWHERE by shinkansen, beacuse its faster? If go there for a week then yeah I think its worth since you have to move as fast as posible from place to place, but when you stay there for more than 2 weeks using the bus/metro daily tickets is just not worth the money. I already did the math on every trip from Tokyo to hiroshima and back to Tokyo and I will save around 200 dollaridoos in trips that I can use on buying food and eating a bit more every day.
>>
>>1331048
If you like drinking do not do a homestay unless its for at a max one week. The families hosting you are doing it because they want to interact with foreigners and it will be extremely rude to go out and be out all night.
>>
I’ll be in Tokyo next Saturday to Monday, anyone wanna grab drinks I’m fucking hyped!
>>
>>1331065
No shitfaced allnighters if doing homestay.
Noted.

Is midday 3 beers kind of drinking acceptable or is alcohol just out of the picture with homestays?
Any other things to keep in mind?
>>
>>1331074
The host family will likely want to drink with you atleast on the weekend, alcohol is actually a pretty big part of the culture.

The point of the advice is to expect to be interacting with them and don't expect to use them like a hotel coming back and going out at all kinds of hours. They almost certainly have jobs but are hosting people because they don't get to travel themselves. If they've had assholes before they probably will have rules/curfews implemented as well, hence my advice to only do it for a week and not an extended period.

Homestays can be an awesome experience, especially when you're a child, but as an adult I also want to be able to go out and do what I want when I have limited traveling time.
>>
File: monkey-park-img.jpg (258 KB, 1200x823)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
Where should I go to see some snow? I'll be there for one month from Dec 7th to Jan 7th.

I know that if I just head towards Northwest I'll start seeing snow, but I'm looking for more of small 田舎温泉 village type of stuff rather than ski resorts(I don't plan to ski at all, sledding with cardboard boxes maybe)
Any recommendations?
>>
>>1331054
>But why would you move EVERYWHERE by shinkansen, beacuse its faster?

Convenience, speed, comfort. I'm willing to pay $200 over taking an intercity bus everywhere.
>>
>>1330868
At least you are on Honshu.

My main fear is getting placed on some obscure island somewhere. Even Hokkaido or Okinawa would suck. Maybe Kyushu or Shikoku would be okay.

Ideally I want to be in the Kansai region but anywhere on Honshu except maybe Fukushima (Radiationville) I would be okay with.
>>
>>1331054
Every second on the bus is a wasted second of your trip. Even on the overnight buses that means a night of terrible rest that will fuck up your next day. If $200 is breaking the bank for you then you're just a poor
>>
>>1330522
No, there are onsen all throughout Tokyo, it's just that they won't be particularly nice or scenic like you might have in your mind. It's very much a public spa / bath and frankly isn't a particularly great experience unless you wanna see some old men's dicks while sitting in water that's too hot.
>>
>>1331065
What's this homestay jazz? I wouldn't mind spending a few days with a Japanese family desu.
>>
File: 10afb_0000865579_5.jpg (506 KB, 1024x768)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
>>1331123
Bump
>>
>>1331253
Google like 東北 or 北海道温泉 and you'll find tons.
>>
File: 33951_0000578457_1.jpg (53 KB, 640x480)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1331256
I was hoping for more of a personal recommendation, already looking up those things.

Has anyone been to Ginzan Onsen?
>>
>>1331225
This.
Exactly why i got the JR pass, especially because i have done lots of really big walks/hikes so i fuckin need good sleep and that would not happen on a bus designed for tiny japanese people (im 6'4).
Plus i dont think you even save that much doing buses compared to JR pass (except i guess it means no need for accomodation on overnight ones)
>>
>>1331245
No indoor onsens are fucking great, especially if you go with a friend and have someone to talk to, unless you think seeing old man dick will make you gay.

However if you want to go to an outdoor one, which are WAY better, you're going to have to go out of Tokyo to find a good one
>>
Holy shit i just spent way too much money on action figures in akihabara, and i was still planning on going there again as i haven't looked at it all. damn high quality japanese figures. anyone know of any cool hidden places that might have some cheap stuff? i have heard nakano has a much smaller area with the same sort of stores, are they good on prices there?

While i was there i saw the qt3.14 girls advertising for maiddreamin and heard the singing from a show or soemthing.
kinda interested. how much does it cost? and how weird does it get not knowing any japanese and being alone there? especially when mildly socially retarded?
>>
>>1331291
I'm afraid the old man dick will make me straight desu. They're just dirty spas really, I can't see the appeal of onsen in the slightest, it makes sense that they aren't really common or popular elsewhere in the world. A spa or sauna with friends is one thing, a public bath with strangers is another. The draw of private and outdoor onsen is a different thing altogether and are much more appealing to me personally.

In summary, stop liking what I don't like.
>>
>>1331313
But you're supposed to bath before entering the onsen you filthy heathen
>>
File: IMG_20170722_071047(1).jpg (3.32 MB, 4640x3480)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB JPG
Some food and a Pocari sweat, it's really simple but I loved getting this almost every morning.
>>
>>1331370
Kek, i always laugh at pocari sweat because it just makes me think of 'booty sweat' from tropic thunder. Does it just taste like water?
Also i just got a very similar bento box for dinner a few hours ago, nice choice.
>>
>>1331381
It tastes like a better version of Aquarius
>>
I'm hoping to travel/live in Thailand for a while in the New Year. I have always wanted to visit Japan but I'm on a real budget. Realistically, how much could I expect to spend on a return flight to Tokyo from Bangkok and 10-14 nights travelling Japan?

I will not rest until I achieved such cliched travel accomplishments as sleeping in a capsule, singing karaoke with drunk salarymen, getting lost in Shibuya and visiting a Zen monastery of some other such traditional Japanese homestead

Thank you for your time
>>
>>1331382
What in the fuck is aquarius? (im from australia, we certainly dont have that)
Ok, some googling, looks kind of like gatorade. I assume pocari sweat tastes like the lemon flavour aquarius? Might give it a shot if so
>>
>>1331393
You should ask the Thailand general, I don't know the details because I haven't been there, but some Argentinean dude I met on the way to Japan talked about how there are some crazy cheap airlines in SEA. I'm sure they'd fly to Japan as well

>10-14 night to Japan
Where are you planning to sleep at? Hotels are not worth it imo since they're going to be tiny anwyays
>>
File: IMG_20170728_222342.jpg (2.45 MB, 4640x3480)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
No clue what gatorade is we dont have that is. But yeah im guessing its like gatorade.
>>
>>1331393
Just use google to check some prices.
>>
>>1331400

>Where are you planning to sleep at? Hotels are not worth it imo since they're going to be tiny anwyays

No idea. Wanted to explore Tokyo area for a week or so and head out to the countryside maybe? Cheap hotels or guest house rooms preferably, I don't like dorms being the introverted type
>>
>>1331409
I'm doing the same. Most people would recommend hostels but you'd be in bunk beds with other people.
If you're not claustrophobic consider manga cafes or capsule hotels

Also, if you want to hang out and get drunk with some autistic splerg from 4chan, I'm gonna be there during new years as well. Going to be busy with comicket around that time though
>>
>>1331410

I wouldn't be arriving in Japan until at least the Spring, thats if I make it there at all. But thanks for the offer.

I'd like to sleep in a capsule for a night or 2 for the experience but not sure I could handle a week of that. How much do those things cost anyway?
>>
File: IMG_7480.jpg (68 KB, 600x400)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1331413
Like 1000-2000 yen a night. Another option is manga cafes, if you don't like either of those choices you might as well go to hostels.
>>
>>1331381
>>1331382
>>1331399
>>1331407
Tastes like lemon lime Gatorade.
Japan has very restrictive laws about artificial food colorings so they don't have a lot of variety with soft drinks and their colors. Hence the cummy white milk based sodas
>>
>>1331417
Not the guy you replied to, but that sounds pretty cheap. Is there any space to store suitcases and the like in one of them?
>>
>>1331421
Airbnb outside of Tokyo can be stupid cheap.
>>
>>1331421
Not really, I'm doing this because it keeps me mobile(just come in, sleep for 5 hours on 800 yen and leave) when I'm traveling. You could store it in a coin locker but that's a waste of money

I'm also only bringing one backpack and a duffel bag, so if you have a suitcase consider >>1331423

But please do give manga cafes a chance, I just love these places. I found one in Akihabara that gives free all you can eat toast for breakfast and curry for dinner
>>
>>1331324
Yes I'm aware of that, not sure what that really has to do with anything
>>
>>1331423
Got an own apartment in Namba for less than 30$ a night. And it was a comfy and nice place.
Can't really complain here, and you don't live like a refugee.
>>
>>1331300
Go to Nakano broadway it's cheaper.

Akiba is overpriced.
>>
>>1331300
>being alone there? especially when mildly socially retarded?
Sounds like the intended target audience.
>>
>>1331300
>anyone know of any cool hidden places that might have some cheap stuff? i
Nakano Broadway is better but check out mandarake at Akihabara, you have to get in through some staircase on a side of a building(one of the sofmap I believe). Kotobukiya is also pretty cool, and some of the electronics shops are neat.

But there's a bigger mandarake at Nakano broadway anyways. Also don't buy figs from those glass cases that's fuckin everywhere, you're most likely getting scammed

>While i was there i saw the qt3.14 girls advertising for maiddreamin and heard the singing from a show or soemthing.
It's the fucking dumbass theme song they play EVERY YEAR I GO THERE
You just buy whatever food you want and that's the entirety of the cost. Enjoy your instant curry
>>
"Nutting a week's worth of semen onto a Japanese girl's face from two feet away" is on my bucket list

Given that I don't speak Japanese and have no interest in prostitution, what's the best way for me to go about doing this anons?
>>
>>1331523
Pinsaro(pink salon) are probably close to what you're looking for, but they're for blowjobs and I don't know if they would be okay with bukkake.

Anyways, I gave you a lead, go and do your own research on these stuff
>>
>>1331514
I wonder how japanese employees have their sanity with the same goddamn themesongs playing all day everyday every few seconds or so.

Not only in Maidreamin but MOUSE and department stores too.
>>
>>1331533
I kinda like Yodobashi camera's theme song, akiba one and the normal one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C0CPrBLUA0
>>
https://youtu.be/O5Dh5ptZPtE
>>1331539
What is that song? it rings a bell so much. It is the Japanese version of an english song right?
>>
>>1331409
>>1331410
Check out Airbnb. You can get private aprtments for very good prices, obviously a little more xepnsive but then you absolutely dont have to deal with randoms and weirdos in a hostel
>>
>>1331370
jelly af, I miss my konbini breakfast
>>
>>1331419
Ok, i do love me some lemon lime gatorade. Might have to get some.
>Hence the cummy white milk based sodas
Kek. I had noticed that and wondered what the deal was
>>
>>1331472
Kek thats a good point.
But i mean will i just feel stupidly awkward or will it be fun. Though really thats probably hard to answer i guess as it will be different for everyone.

>>1331463
>>1331514
Thanks mates, i think ill check out nakano broadway today and maybe ikebukuro (mainly for evangelion store).

>don't buy figs from those glass cases
Yeah i noticed that after a small bit of time in akihabara, the stores where things are just on shelves in their boxes do seem to have the same stuff for cheaper usually.

>You just buy whatever food you want and that's the entirety of the cost. Enjoy your instant curry
I was thinking it was cafe food like hot drinks, cakes and shit, is it actual food?
any idea on prices?
>>
>>1331523
Tinder maybe. If you are good looking there will likely be some gaijin hunter types that will put out
>>
>>1331584
>Yeah i noticed that after a small bit of time in akihabara, the stores where things are just on shelves in their boxes do seem to have the same stuff for cheaper usually.
Yeah, some smelly NEETs buy one of those glass boxes and sell their old figures when their parents stop sending them money. The shops charge them a fee for borrowing the boxes, so the NEETs can't drop their prices too low.

I mean you can strike gold with those, but don't do it unless you know the price ranges of the stuff you're looking for.

>any idea on prices?
I don't know man, you're already in Japan, I'm leaving next Tuesday. Just ask the damn maids on the street about it lol, it's not going to be more than 10 buck if you're just buying dessert and drinks
I never went to a maid cafe but I went to a maid bar last winter. The 'maid' mixed me some coke and amaretto, got herself a drink and we just talked for an hour.
She was some dental school student who wasn't that deep into weabshit so it was kinda awkward but she tried to keep a cheery mood. If you can't speak Japanese then just go to some maid cafe and have them do their little voodoo ritual to bless your food with the power bestowed by Otaku gods
>>
>>1331555
>it rings a bell so much
You sure it's a bell and not a train whistle. Maybe you've been working on a railroad.
>>
>>1331555
The Battle Hymn of the Republic
>>
>>1331523
>Given that I don't speak Japanese and have no interest in prostitution, what's the best way for me to go about doing this anons?

Why is /trv/ full of weeaboo EOP idiots like this? Or this >>1331300
>>
>>1331533
Never worked in one of those places, but even if you goto the conbini often enough you start to not even notice it anymore.
>>
>>1331589
>have them do their little voodoo ritual to bless your food with the power bestowed by Otaku gods
Kek, sounds good i think i will give it a go.

>NEETs buy one of those glass boxes and sell their old figures
Is that actually what those boxes are? so the store makes money just by renting out the box space?

>>1331661
Im the seocnd one you linked. Wouldn't really callmyself a weaboo. I mostly came to japan to see the nature (sandankyo gorge, nara, miyajima, bunny island etc), temples and cool as shit massive cities (from melbourne so ours sucks ass compared). I've spent literally a day and half overall out of 20 on 'weebshit'.
As for the EOP part. Like im going to spend 5 years learning another language to go on a holiday, fucking retard.
>>
>>1331671
>Not learning any of the language
>Expect a good experience and to be able to interact with locals

Did you even learn katakana in preparation for the trip?
>>
>>1331674
>implying you need to know much of the language to have a good time.
I know the very basics, hello, goodbye, thank you, excuse me, sorry etc.
I have been here for 3 weeks, in tokyo, osaka, kyoto and hiroshima and it has been absolutely fantastic with absolutely no issues whatsoever due to language barrier.
>Did you even learn katakana in preparation for the trip?
No i didn't learn katakana, and again no issues whatsoever because of it.

Im not gonna say that learning some of the language (be that spoken, katakana or both) wouldn't possibly lead to slightly more interaction (and possibly fun), but it absolutely 100% not necessary for almost anything most people will go over to do.
>>
/ck/ here. In Tokyo for a bit. Where should I go to find tea? Cheap leaves from the スパ are nice, but what else is available?
>>
>>1331680
>スパ
スーパー*
>>
>>1331695
Ya got me, kid. I'm a phony.
>>
>>1331702
any place that sells "gourmet" "coffee" might have better tea, but I couldn't recommend anything, in specific or general. If you've got local pals you could give them an ask.
>>
Any clubs in Shinjuku that does trance?
>>
File: img_1585[1].jpg (314 KB, 768x512)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
So, what's with that strange building that can be seen from Miyajima? Is it some kind of sect?
>>
Give me some things to do in Osaka /trv/, I don't think I'll run out of touristy bullshit in Kyoto or Tokyo but my Osaka itinerary is looking kinda sparce, any suggestions are appreciated!
>>
>>1331724
I assume you have nara already (though you may count that as kyoto). But if not, definitely do it.
Universal studios if you like any of the attractions.
tempozan ferris wheel (night lookout), umeda building (day lookout).
otherobvious stuff, dotonbori and dotonbori river, dendent town if you want animu figures and the like, osaka castl and surrounding gardens.

Sorry if you were looking for more uncommon things, these are just the regular old things youll find suggested anywhere. But its the exact things i did week ago in osaka and i had a blast.
>>
File: 1512318526278.png (1.87 MB, 870x1157)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB PNG
The Jews Fear the Samurai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSlLbac5OaU&t
>>
>>1331717
Almost could be a mosque.
>>
>>1331675
Every bit of the language you learn exponentially increases what you can do in the country. Sure you can go to the major tourist sites and navigate the subway. Maybe you'll get lucky and run into someone who is just trying to practice their English at a bar, but 99% of people aren't doing that.

But even something like knowing katakana allows you to goto way more restaurants and you don't have to settle for only places with pictures on the menu or if you're lucky a scaled down English menu.
>>
File: 123144123.jpg (43 KB, 1263x947)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
I've been in Tokyo for a week and Kyoto and Osaka for a week together. I'm planning to go back next year to only Tokyo.

Not sure how long I want to stay yet. Is there enough to do/ see for 2 weeks if you've already been for a week.
>>
Are there actual Japanese anons willing to meet a foreigner? I'm currently learning Japanese and will be working there for a month. I would very much like having a native to talk to.
>>
>>1331717
It is something of a mystery. Signage claims that it is some sort of wood-working museum or something, It islisted in some places as a Buddhist Temple. Many locals believe it is some sort of cultist place.

My guess is some goofy Japanese analogue to Falun Gong or something is in there.
>>
>>1331787
I have seen completely different opinion here. Someone said that tourists should not even attempt speaking Japanese unless they can hold a conversation, and knowing 100 words and kana is not different from being an EOP.
Which is true?
>>
>>1331832
Both.

Of course you won't be able to converse with 100 words and kana, in this sense you're an EOP. Will it help you with some small things? Yeah, in this sense you're better off than a total EOP.

Learning katakana takes like a day, then a week to review to let it sink in. Some words hardly take any time at all too.
>>
>>1331844
This, if nothing else knowing hiragana and katakana will help with a lot of the menus and let you feel more at ease ordering from places that don't have pictures or plastic representations of the dish in a case outside.
>>
>>1331661
i'm not a weeb. i just want to claim a japanese chick's face to say i did it before they go extinct
>>
>>1331905
You're not going to suddenly become Chad and lose your virginity in Japan you know.
>>
>>1331259
Never been to Ginzan but I've heard it's really nice, albeit a bit touristy.

If you're willing to make the trip, Nyuuto Onsen in Semboku is my personal favorite, though be warned there's really not much at all to do in the area other than the bath itself and a nearby lake.
>>
>>1331188
Yeah I'm on Honshu but it takes hours to get anywhere by car. There are many places in Hokkaido that are less rural than my place.

For instance, I know someone who got placed way out in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere in Hokkaido, but she has a train in her town and is only a short ride away from a decent sized city. Just because a place is on Honshu does not necessarily mean it will be highly developed and convenient.
>>
>>1331924
yes i will
>>
>>1331787
You certainly aren't wrong. Though i dont go to bars or anything like that where one would really talk to people plus to be honest i dont really WANT to to talk to random people (at home or overseas).
But yeah i probably should learn a little katakana for helping at restaurants.
This was my first time going to japan so seeing the major tourist things was really all i wanted to do (i mean obviously there is a reason they get big. They are interesting/cool. Which they were). So i already knew i really didnt need to know anymore than the basic words i learnt.

Also, i likely will learn more of the spoken and katakana japanese before i go back to japan. But i was just replying to you saying that you literally dont need anymore than thank you and you will do fine with pointing and bowing.
Yes if you want to have a conversation with the locals, or visit places way outside the main cities you will need fair bit more knowledge of the language. But most people wont be doing that even if they go to japan a few times. I have spent 3 weeks here and i already know there are a fair few things i have missed in each major city that i want to go back to.
Learning a language for most people is not easy or quick, so its really not worth the time/effort for most people, especially when you will still get by absolutely fine and have a great time anyway.
>>
File: 1506804921819.jpg (86 KB, 809x1200)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
im doing two weeks in japan - booked a week in tokyo, and a night in hakone. was planning to stay a week in kyoto to explore there + visit osaka and nara (and maybe another day trip). heard kyoto is kinda boring though, is a week too long there even with day trips?

might do an ovenight at osaka and perhaps nikko the night before flying back
>>
>>1331933
No train stations near you? That seems pretty strange based on what I have heard.

Unless you really are as rural as you say, then I am sorry.
>>
>>1330893
Eat at places like Yoshinoya and Sukiya, you can get a gyuudon bowl (a rice bowl with some beef/other meat on top) for like 400 yen, and it comes with miso soup and tea. Ramen shops are also relatively cheap.
>>
I'm going to Tokyo this month, but have no idea what places to eat at.
Obviously I don't want the ones that charge you $700 for one piece of meat, is there a guide for english only losers like me
>>
How easy is it to navigate the subways with no knowledge of Japanese?
>>
>>1332045
When in doubt, go to an ichiran or other place where you can see the food and prices out the front. If you can't decipher a price or something ordinary is expensive, don't go in because it will most likely be expensive.
>>1332047
Very easy in Tokyo. Relatively easy elsewhere too.
>>
>>1332045
ippudo is also nice
>>1332051

or red rock.
these are all chains, but quite okay ones.

in general you see prices posted outside ... if not, you can always open eg. google maps and click on the restaurant there, look at the photos others posted... people tend to post pics of the menu.
the prices tend to be net prices!
>>
File: a1648987077_10.jpg (347 KB, 1200x1200)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
>>1331751

Not >>1331724 but thanks for the heads up. I'd be heading to Osaka and making my way to kyoto and tokyo and was wondering about things to do (Other than stuffing my face with food and trying out Kappo, heard there will be a Ramen and Hyoza expo during my time there as well.)

I was considering Umeda skylook out but at night for some scenic shots. DenDen town is pretty much a smaller Akiba? So should i skip it if i'll be heading to akiba anyway. What about Shinsaibashi?
>>
>>1332063
>other than stuffing my face with food
Why even bother doing anything else that will be near the top best thing
>Ramen expo
Kek, sounds pretty good. hopefully they have taste testing at each stand.

I have heard umeda is pretty great at night. I did day and then the tempozan ferris wheel at night to get both views of the city.
Yeah denden is essentially small akiba. so basically you can skip it if you are only going to akiba to see akiba, but if you are actually looking for figures they had some different stuff (even just for the few shows i was shopping for let alone anything else i wasn't caring about).
Shinsaibashi rings a bell but to be honest i wandered around oasaka so much i think i ended up in each section (dotonbori, america mura, denden and shinsaibashi) in all different amounts on different nights.
>>
>>1332045
There are literally thousands of places all over with all kinds of food. Many places have picture menus or 3d plastic models of the food. You have absolutely zero worries, any place will have great food so just pick whatever you feel like.
>>
>>1331933
I'll come visit (Iwate) when I move to Sapporo.
>>
>>1332045
Go to Matsuya, press the "English" button on the ticket machine.
>>
Is Japan expensive compared to The Netherlands?
>>
Has anyone here been to oarai?
Im currently there and need some help.
I'm doing the GuP stamp rally while riding a bike around the town, today i got 5 of the 8 stamps, i know where i will be getting 2 of the 3 i still need (aqua world and marine tower which im going to tomorrow), but the last one i need is at the outlet mall. They have 2 there, i was able to find the one in the garupan gallery store but could not find the other, if someone knows where it is i would greatly appreciate help
>>
File: stumprally20140808-l.jpg (822 KB, 842x1191)
822 KB
822 KB JPG
>>1332090
This?
>>
>>1332090
can you post your stamp card?
>>
Who's the best wifi rental to use?
>>
>>1332097
>>1332098
Yeah that's the one. I have filled out numbers 2,4,5,7 and 8. I'll be going to get 3 and 6 tomorrow. The one i couldn't find was number 1.
>>
File: IMG_20171204_225433.png (1.31 MB, 1080x1707)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
>>1332106
You are finding the number 1, right? This site says you can find it in front of the information center at the 1st floor in Ooarai Resort Outlet 大洗リゾートレット. If you can't find it, show a clerk at the information center this Japanese msg "ガールズアンドパンツァーのスタンプを押す場所はどこにありますか?(where can I get the GuP stump?)"

http://canonsnk.blog69.fc2.com/blog-entry-2418.html

Are you the famous Pole who is crazy about GuP?
>>
>>1331936
No you don't. Pay a whore for 300$ and have a good time.
>>
>>1332108
Yeah finding number 1. Thanks a lot mate. i must have missed some corner of the resort outlet because i didnt even see the info center, so ill go back and look for that.
Thank you for the japanese to show someone if needed as well.

>Are you the famous Pole who is crazy about GuP?
Kek. No im from Australia. I haven't heard of this Pole guy, does he post here a bit?

And again thanks a bunch for that information.
>>
>>1332110
Yeah I couldn't forsake the mate who loves GuP like me. If you come to Tokyo why don't we have a beer?
>>
>>1332116
Shit mate, I don't drink but i would just to come shout you one for the help. But i am leaving early wednesday morning and i wont be getting back until tomorrow evening from Oarai and i've already organised meeting my sister tomorrow night as its the only day of crossover we have with our trips.
Where are you from?
>>
>>1332116
I'm visiting Oarai on the 16th.

Hope it's fun!
>>
>>1332123
I've only been here the second half of today, but i already had fun.
If you dont mind the exercise i recommend borrowing a bike, its quite flat around town. and its pretty fun to cycle to each of the stamp spots
>>
>>1332121
i'm japanese
>>1332123
panzer vor~
>>
>>1332128
Lets meet up in tokyo for a beeru or something in a a week or two.
>>
>>1332129
r u another guy whom i replied?
>>
>>1332132
yeah another guy
>>
>>1332133
sure, when are you coming to tokyo?
>>
>>1332136
14th onwards
>>
>>1332137
I got it! Post some msg when you're in Tokyo. Have you decided where to stay at?
>>
>>1332141
I'm staying in Ueno for my airbnb
>>
>>1332144
K, have some beer in somewhere. I'm 22 y/o uni student.
>>
>>1332146
sweet, I'll make a post around then see you soon!
>>
>>1332148
Wokey wokey. btw I don't speak English like a fluent native, so speak slowly when we meet up
>>
>>1332152
That's okay, it'll be fun either way
>>
>>1332153
based. Thx
>>
>>1331832
This advice is absolutely wrong in all countries except for maybe France and certain pockets in the US.

99% of people will greatly appreciate that you know even the smallest amount of language and it will take a lot of pressure off them about worrying how to communicate with you. Even people who are actually good at English appreciate knowing they don't have to completely use all of their abilities while you coast along on your native language.
>>
>>1331798
You can try a language exchange app and meet people nearby.
>>
>>1331798
Go to international parties. Meetup.com meetups tend to be Japanese people just trying to steal English from you without any kind of real language exchange.

There also dozens of free/near free lessons in Tokyo. Just search Japanese schools tokyo and youll get a big long list
>>
>>1331970
do one week in osaka instead and make a side trips to nara and a night or two at kyoto. you can cover all of kyoto in 2 days if your going solo + see all the major shrines/temples. there's a lot more shit to do in osaka food and entertainment wise. maybe hiroshima for a side trip from osaka.

and for my question, how do you guys deal with jet lag? adjust sleeping schedule before flight or take sleeping pills during flight?
>>
Arriving at Tokyo on Thursday, anyone down to hang out?

If anyone's arriving after me, I'll be in Tokyo for at least a week
>>
I know its a long shot but anyone been to or heard any feedback about kansai college?
>>
>>1332192
Thank you! I would prefer meeting people from this board though.

>>1332199
I'm not too good at parties anyway. And I already have a training course planned, in fact I am more looking for a friend to motivate me to learn Japanese than a teacher.
>>
>>1332318
When are you arriving at Tokyo?
>>
>>1331108
Would a homestay be a good experience for someone visiting Japan for the first time, or should I save that for a 2nd trip?
>>
>>1332063
I was in Tokyo and Sapporo, but I never saw this kind of scenery.
>>
I will be going to Tokyo for comiket and staying around for the new year. Two questions:

1. I always see people saying that the temperature in Tokyo at winter will be around 15 degree Celsius but on Wikipedia it says that the average temperature is -1 degree Celsius. Which one is it? It is important for my preparation.
2. For new year shrine visit, any recommendation? I prefer shrine that will have less visitors, but if there is a must-go famous shrine at new year that is crowded as fuck I don't mind either.
>>
>>1332347
It has not been decided yet, most likely in July I would say.
>>
>>1332128
Thanks a bunch for the help. I ended up finding it, i seriously dont know how i missed it eh first time it wasn't very hidden.
Then a new problem popped up, the aquarium was closed for renovation or something. There is no warning on their site (just a tiny little note saying it may be closed a few days in december but not which days and in very small writing). I used google translate to talk to one of the workers and showed him the stamp sheet and he ended up walking me inside to where the stamp is kept so i could finish it and then escorted me back outside.
Disappointed the aquarium was closed but happy i atleast got the stamp and it was a really nice bike ride along the beach to get there, so overall pretty fun.
Also being early on a weekday a bunch of the shops that have the character cardboard stands were closed so i didnt get to see all of them but i got to see most of my favourite characters.
Definitely gonna go back next time i visit japan, it was good fun and a nice place.
>>
>>1332466
I'm now living in Tokyo, but unfortunately I may move to Kyoto next spring for some reason (it depends though).
>>1332469
I felt relieved to hear that. I thought it would be wonderful to make some chat with a foreigner about GuP over beer, but it seems difficult. Anyway, have a good time with your sister. All is fair in love and war
>>
This is going to sound retarded, but can i buy fuji-q tickets at fuji-q?
Obviously it would make sense to be able to but on their site here (https://www.fujiq.jp/en/ticket/) half way down it says "the 3 official ways to buy tickets are blah blah". It doesn't say at the door, so i assume that's meant to be saying "other than buying at the door here's the only 3 official ways to buy tickets", is that right?
>>
>>1332474
See this map in English
https://www.fujiq.jp/en/map/
can you see "Ticket Information" ? you can buy it there(i've never been there even though I have lived in Tokyo for 22 years, so i can't guarantee, but i think there is not a single amusement park where you cannot buy tickets on the spot).
>>
>>1332488
Thanks mate. Yeah i figure they would have to sell tickets at the door, but i thought i'd ask as its better to be safe than sorry.
How come you've never been?
>>
>>1332494
My hobbies in my youth days were typical wild activities like going around Tokyo by bike or going fishing, and I was not so interested in amusement parks. I once went to Disney Land as a school trip, but not so fun lol
>>
>>1332307
will be around 12 13 14. let's kick it
>>
>>1332501
Well i'd put hobbies like that up there easily as enjoyable as an amusement park (in a different way of course), so good choice there.
Yeah from what i have looked at disney wouldnt be all that fun unless you really like all the disney properties(disney princesses etc).
Have you been tempted to go to Fuji-q at all now though? or are you still not interested in it.
>>
>>1332452
1. It's colder some days than others depending on when and depending on luck, which is how I'd assume to be the way it works wherever you're coming from.
I'm from California but I lived in other countries as well, I think Japan's winter's pretty cold. Bring some winter clothes but don't worry too much because you can buy some neat cheap clothing from Japan at subway stations and everywhere for this exact reason.

2. First time going new years as well, I heard the emperor's palace is going to be opened so I'm gonna check it out for a bit but I don't care too much about the guy.
I would assume Meiji Jingu (close from Harajuku) and Sensoji Temple(in Asakusa) would probably be the busiest shrines/temples in Tokyo for hatsumode tho

>>1332510
Let's fuckin do it, I hope you're around my age but I won't judge about it.
I'm gonna be leaving in 7 hours but my flight's like 35 fuckin hours with 2 layovers in China
>>
>>1332517
Nah I have not been tempted to go there, and am not. Plus It's a bit expensive for a poor student like me lol
>>
>>1332452
It gets a lot colder at night so that could be the overall average, but its usually around 13-15 during the day. source is me being in tokyo right now.
Also it doesnt FEEL that cold in my opinion, i have been going around in regular pants and a tshirt most days and been quite comfortable, though admittedly i don't get cold very easily. To be honest i actually got uncomfortably warm more times than cold due to how fucking well the heaters on their trains work
>>
>>1332521
>I'm gonna be leaving in 7 hours but my flight's like 35 fuckin hours with 2 layovers in China

Godspeed anon. China's domestic air operations are a ticking time bomb of delays, cancellations, and terrible airline reps. If you only get to Tokyo 6 hours late or less, buy a lottery ticket.
>>
>>1332536
Fair enough, if you don't really care why bother spending all that money. I became a big fan after going to australias best theme parks a couple years ago and now i really love big rollercoasters.
But Yeah im looking at it now, once you factor in the transport cost it adds up to quite bit
>>
>>1332521
>>1332538
Thanks. I've stayed in Russia for 6 years so 15 degree Celsius is like nothing. In fact, range from 12 to 20 is the most comfortable imho. Anyway I will bring my bulky winter clothes just in case.

The emperor will be there for new year? I am considering checking up just to see him before he pass his throne to his son.
>>
>>1332538
You're pretty hardcore if you can walk in a t-shirt in Tokyo now. I'm now in Kyoto (which should be warmer since it's to the south) and wear three layers, especially at night when the temperature is closer to 0, epsecially when the wind is blowing.
Still it's better than Russia though.
>>
>>1332553
>>1332555
Basically tokyo right now is my favourite weather. Im from melbourne australia so right now we are going into summer and i hate it, not looking forward to going back to that.
I get warm very very easily, not sure why (though i have a theory), so cool weather agrees with me.
>>
>>1332452
>1. I always see people saying that the temperature in Tokyo at winter will be around 15 degree Celsius but on Wikipedia it says that the average temperature is -1 degree Celsius.

It doesn't say that.

Tokyo in December is mild as fuck.
>>
>>1332545
Probably I lack some will to undertake something new, I've made up my mind to go to an amusement park, m8(when I've got a gf)
>im looking at it now, once you factor in the transport cost it adds up to quite bit
Yeah the return ticket of long distance bus to the amusement park costs about 3000, plus one day free ticket costs about 5000. It's expensive.

Anyway, have a good time bro. If you seek help, make a post here.
>>
This December is supposed to be a little colder in Tokyo.

But we are still talking about 10°C
>>
So credit and debit cards, how widely accepted are they actually? Am I going to need cash for my airport transport?
>>
>>1332597
Family marts/711s all have ATM's, you just need to make sure that your card has a chip
>>
>>1332597
Pretty widely accepted in major cities. Rail stations didn't except them that I saw, but all convenience stores did, along with most restaurants and chain retail shops.
>>
File: IMG_20171205_123045.jpg (2.57 MB, 3036x4048)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
Leaving now, I'll see some of you nerds soon
>>
I'm going solo between the end of march and the start of april, I'll be staying 8 nightsin Tokyo and 4 in Kyoto, what are some unique cities/places for a 1 day visit? I was thinking about takayama, is it worthy?
>>
File: concept05.png (1.38 MB, 1365x768)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>1332129
Mind if I join? I can talk a bit about Rollzeug, GroBTraktor and the Karl-Gerät Mörser, or about other WW2 stuff
>>
>>1332648
>>1332648
The more the merrier.

I'll try to bring other 4channers I know who's going to be in japan we well who are big GuP fans.
>>
File: concept02.png (1.67 MB, 1304x733)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>1332650
Awesome.
>>
>>1330936
es mucho mejor que te alejes del centro lo que más puedas. está muy sobrevaluado todo por allá sobretodo considerando que se vienen las olimpiadas. puedes vivir con trabajo de medio tiempo pero en guesthouses y cocinando tú.
>>
>>1332645
I've been to Takayama once for two days. It heavily snowed when I was there on the first day. It was very nice actually, and on the second day Shirakawa village was just after it stopped snowing. Shirakawa village is famous for the combination of the landscape and snow, and it's very unlikely to snow in the end of March, but still it deserves visiting i guess.
>>
>>1332645
>>1332741
Plus Takayama is quite good, but that town is a bit too touristic(too many souvenir stores) too. A famous anime(評価) was set in that town, so my friend was enthusiastically motivated to go there, and took many pics. Compared to Kyoto it was less crowded and I didn't see any foreigners at that time(4 years ago, March)
>>
>>1332745
oops not 評価 but 氷菓
Also though I said " Shirakawa village is very unlikely to have snow in March" , on second thought, it was in the middle of March that I went there and the village still had heap of snow. so perhaps it will snow at the time you visit there.
>>
Me, my wife and my 2 year daughter are planning to go for the entire month of March to Tokyo. What are some short term leases that are affordable for that time period. It has to be furnished to work out obviously.

I checked airbnb, but i feel like im getting ripped off
>>
is there any site where i can check if there are any music shows in tokyo?
>>
Is there any places in Tokyo where i can buy organic groceries. kinda like whole foods?
>>
>>1332803
A good place to start would definitely be tokyogigguide.com I've found. Other than that, I've managed some success when looking for smaller gigs I might be interested in by searching through the live schedules of venues around Shimokita, Shibuya, etc. that seem to cater towards my music tastes.

I'll be heading to Japan for the first time in January and I really lucked out with the amount of bands I'm into playing the same time I'll be in each city. Got 4 lined up already, but sadly missed out on tickets for best band, 385.
>>
Can anyone tell me the best way to pay for stuff in Japan?
I plan on exchanging my USD for Yen at the Airport, but I'm not sure about just walking around with cash. What's the most common way? Are there prepaid cards? Checks? Will my Credit/Debit work over there?
>>
Hello Anons.
Me and my friend got tickets to Fuji-Q from family mart the other day but something has come up and he cant go. We are trying to find out if he can get a refund.
On the Fuji-Q website is says no refunds for tickets bought at Fuji-Q itself but for advance tickets you should check the store you bought them from.
While you might say 'why dont you go back to the store then'. The thing is we bought them over the other side of the city (we remembered we needed tickets while we were out and just bought them from a family mart we passed by. So its very very out of the way just to go check, so i was hoping someone here would know or have experience.
Thanks
>>
>>1332814
just walk around with cash, you can pretty much leave your wallet sitting in public for a day and come back with it still there
>>
>>1332214
Having traveled to Asia twice this year from the US (once japan, once china), my strategy works out as follows: get like 4 hours sleep the night before. Try to sleep on the connecting flight, fail. Sleep like 4 hours on the long flight, arrive, feel like shit for 3 days.

In more serious advisement, consider traveling in the middle of a week. Tickets tend to be cheaper but more importantly, it's easier to upgrade to economy+ or the emergency aisle for cheaper, because they're less likely to sell out. Wait till there's like 2 weeks left for higher savings. I had a whole row to myself on the way to Shanghai, so i could lay down and sleep like 6hours with no sleeping pills. I arrived in Shanghai and was less jetlagged than my brother and sister in law who had been there for 3 days already. It helps that I have a late work schedule so I was already closer to PRC time though.

The risk in my strategy is that if economyplus fills up I get stuck in economy, and I have long legs so that sucks. Plus you don't get the advantage of starting on a weekend, for taking vacation days off work.
>>
What and how do you guys eat when in japan? I was in Tokyo two years ago and I felt like I was starving half the time. I also ate way more generic fast food, e.g mcdonalds than I had in mind. I guess I just waited till I got hungry, ate a big meal of fast food and continued on. I very rarely bought groceries and If I did, It was mostly junk food/candy. I think the main problem was that I was intimated by all the exotic looking food so I didn't know if they were proper meals or not. I don't want to repeat the same mistakes I made, mainly because I watch my diet way more nowadays and count calories.

Should I buy more groceries/pre-packaged meals to eat at my hotel? Eat ramen everyday? I wanna see If I can make it without resorting to generic fast food the next time.
>>
>>1332814
Yes, you walk around with cash and pay with cash everywhere, what's the problem with that? You don't have to carry all the cash with you all the time, you can leave most of it at the hotel.
>>
>>1332829
You can buy a pre-packaged meal in any 7-eleven/Family mart which are everywhere, 24 hours a day. Or go to a grocery supermarket and buy there a little cheaper. Better yet, go there around 9-10 PM when they sell sushi, sashimi and bentos with 50% discount.
>>
>>1332803
e+
>>
Would it be better to visit Japan in July or September?
>>
How cold does it get in Kyoto in January?
>>
I'm trying to decide on cards, first time I went to Tokyo I just used my Pass-Mo for every thing but that was 3 years ago
I have a 2 night stay and want to visit Toshugu in addition to Lake Chuzenji, Yumoto Onsen and some waterfalls, never dealt with buses in Japan though, do you just use your IC card like everything else or do you need a specific pass to get around Nikko
>>1330773
no worries m8 I'm not that level of an /out/ist yet, maybe once I've got more experience and a group to travel with
>>
>>1332741
>>1332745
>>1332746
thanks, I'll probably visit it then, along with shirakawa-go
>>
>>1332829
Why would you go to Japan and just eat McDonald's? Even if you aren't a foodie, that's a huge waste.
>>
>>1332939
>tfw met people who went to japan and ate nothing but fast food because japanese food weirded them out
>tfw met people who never had sushi ever in japan and they've been going to japan for years

Dont underestimate some people's lack of taste in foods.
>>
>>1332829
Lawsons/711 for their <500 yen meals. Kept me going a lot
>>
>>1332967
I can understand not eating sushi, especially for those that don't care for fish even when it is fully cooked.

What I can't understand is eating mickey Ds when you have a huge variety of noodle dishes, rice bowl dishes, tempura of all kinds, hot pots, barbequed meats, I could go on.
>>
>>1333002
Hey I dont know how to answer that either, in terms of food japan is one of the best due to the amount, variety and price of everything there.

You can walk into an udon shop and get some nice udon and kakiage for 500 yen, you can go to any conbini and walk out with loads of rice balls and bentos, you can go to coco ichibanya or matsuya and eat lots of curry/gyudons and not to mention ramen shops at every corner.

It's impossible to starve in japan, it's just kinda silly to go there to eat their burgers.
>>
What's the best time of year to climb Mt. Fuji? I spent all of last October in Japan, but obviously it was outside of the climbing season.

I'm going to go back in 18, but don't want to miss out again.
>>
What can I do with my luggage while waiting for check in times at the Air BnB's?

A lot of the check in times are 3/4 in the afternoon so spending half the day with them while I visit areas will be a bit of a problem.
>>
>>1333042

July/August, warmest overall but still cool at the top.

>What can I do with my luggage while waiting for check in times at the Air BnB's?

Lockers around the city, alternatively message the host of the airbnb and see if you could drop off bags there. Often more than not they will be okay with it if they are home/have a place for them. I know every hostel I was in let me drop my bag off and then come back around check in time
>>
What are the cheapest months for traveling to Japan? I remember March 2017 being under $900 for me, but all the flights currently available for March 2018 are above $1.4k. Am I getting screwed for living in the Caribbean, or are those prices similar for Americans?

>>1330893
>$450
Jealous
>>
>>1333084
I got round trip in July-Sept for 600bucks in the US, I just drove to a larger airport and knocked off like 5-700 bucks. Usually spring late march-May is cheap
>>
>>1333084
One idea would be booking separate tickets. Just make sure to have plenty of time, 6 hours or so at least, to get from one to the other. Try and fly to LAX from the caribbean, then from LAX to Tokyo. LAX tends to be the cheapest city for flights to Asia in the US. MEX may also be an option, and ANA operates a nonstop from there.
>>
File: jThLmOb.png (423 KB, 645x645)
423 KB
423 KB PNG
How much English do you realistically need to know to spend a month in Tokyo? I have no problem learning it, but I'm at really low level right now.

How about to visit rural areas of Japan? I want to see the non-touristy, rural towns up in northern Japan but I'm afraid people there will speak less English than in the cities.
>>
File: 1498620307271s.jpg (6 KB, 249x228)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1333105
>How much English do you realistically need to know to spend a month in Tokyo?
>>
>>1333105
None, seriously did over a month. Just know how to say some mannerisms that you could probably pick up off anime.
>>
>>1333105
>How much English do you realistically need to know to spend a month in Tokyo?
Anon... what the fuck?
>>
Going to Japan next September 8-29, and plan on spending time in Kyoto, Osaka, and Toyko.
What's the best way to schedule out the trip to get the most out of each location?
>>
>>1333117
>1 month in tokyo

I'd be so bored out of my mind I'd just want to go home

>>1333119
1 week in tokyo
1 week in Osaka/Kyoto/Nara/Kobe (they are all an hour away from eachother via train)
Day in Takayama/Nagano/Fujisawa
final day or two around south tokyo china town is pretty cool
>>
File: giphy-downsized-large.gif (5 MB, 333x250)
5 MB
5 MB GIF
>>1333106
>>1333117
It took me like 30 minutes to figure out why everyone was making fun of me. Now I get it.
>>
>>1333123
Coolio thanks
>>
>>1333119
Spend the first week or so in and around Tokyo. Kamakura is an easy day trip. Nikko is an overnight one.

Kansai area can keep you busy the rest of the time though I don't find Osaka to be much more than a day trip compared to Kyoto which needs 2-3 days to see the main sites. I'd make Kyoto your base and visit the other places from there. Nara is a good day trip as is Himeji Castle.

If you are there on the last monday of September they have an interesting procession of women and geisha/maiko wearing the hairstyles of the different Japanese Eras:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1fqhOu0ZJU
>>
>>1333123
>Bored in Tokyo
I assume you can't speak any Japanese at all and are pretty poor.
>>
>>1333289
>I assume you can't speak any Japanese at all and are pretty poor.

Tokyo is pretty boring after a week or two compared to most other places in japan
>>
>>1331971
I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a train station nearby. The only way to get to one is by either driving there or taking one of the buses in town that runs three times a day.

>>1332078
I'm visiting Sapporo for the Snow Festival next year ayyy
>>
>>1332829
>>1332939
>tfw only ate from American fast food joints and MOS Burger last time I was in Japan

What a fucking mistake that was, I regret it every single day. This time I'm definitely going to stick to strictly Japanese food.
>>
>>1332521
haha i'm 22. will probably be busy during the day but nights are free to grab some food, i'll drop my line ID once i get my new phone
>>
>>1333295
What can you do somewhere else in Japan that you can't do in Tokyo? Theres some neat shrines and temples scattered here and there throughout the country, and Tokyo is lacking on a places with a natural onsen, but I can't think of any other place in the country where I would want to be for a month. Shit I've lived in Tokyo for 3 years and haven't gotten around to doing everything I want.
>>
>>1330447
You can learn a decent amount of vocabulary as well as hiragana and katakana in a year fairly easily. I wouldn’t depend on my language skills to get around though.
>>
File: 1473337615675.jpg (166 KB, 1280x2160)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
So i found a ear cleaning shop near my area of lodging when i'll be in tokyo. Seems to be a widespread thing, what can you guys tell me about this? Any chance of my brains getting scrambled?
>>
>>1333354
>go climb mountinas
>go walking through forests
>go to the beach
>go see the ice caves in fujisawa
>go learn about some history in takyama
>go to the big ass shrine and cerimonies in Nagano
>go see the ground 0 in Hiroshima
>go to some really nice open air baths

The list goes on

>>1333401
literally 0, they just clean your ears can be worth it
>>
So I'm gonna go skiing in Niseko and was wondering if I can buy a lift pass online so as to lessen the amount of money I have to take with and also are there card facilities in Niseko Village? Thnx for the help
>>
how fun are japanese girls? are the gaijin hunters on tinder easy to interact with? is it worth spending part of my vacation just to glaze some anime tiddies?
>t. 7/10
>>
>>1333403

Alright, guess i'll give ear cleaning a try.
>>
File: images.jpg (20 KB, 474x310)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Going to be in Tokyo in 10hrs (for 4 days) what should I visit b4 I leave, other then Mt Fuji and the basic museums what is some dopeshut I should check out ?
>>
File: data-uri-img.jpg (222 KB, 720x405)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>1333424
Fucking sentou
>>
>>1333408
Do you speak moon language?
If not you might have a hard time.
>>
>>1333436
i don't. are you saying KotH lied to me?
>>
>>1333408
I found it easy but a lot of anons seem to struggle, meeting at a bar is almost an instant way to get some jap girl on you. But there are a lot of anons who don't like drinking n shit
>>
>>1333424
Kek m8 I just got here yesterday, maybe we can meet up?

Anyways my vote is in for Odaiba if it's just 4 days, check out the xbox hueg Gunpla, do some shopping, and take a rest a the hot spring resort(expensive but it's comparable to fancy hot spring, not 'authentic' but fun).
Dunno what you mean by mt.fuji, you dun wanna go up there unless you want to freeze lol
>>
Anyone went to teach in Japan not through the Jet program? I graduate in 2 to 3 years but I'm looking at skipping my teaching licensure and teaching in Japan or Korea for awhile. How is it not being able to read but having functional conversational Japanese? Is getting a place to live as much of a nightmare as I've heard with a months rent as a "gift" and shit?
>>
>>1333463
fuck i've been sober for almost a year. honestly i'm kind of worried i might drink again if i go to japan. but that's a story for another board
>>
>>1333485
You can always just get a coke, or some club soda with ice and lime. Kind of give you something to do with your hands when you're chilling.
>>
>gonna be in japan in 5 days

I CANT WAIT BROS

I CANT WAIT TO GO BACK
>>
>>1332452
>2. For new year shrine visit, any recommendation?
In and around Tokyo:
Meiji Shrine
Nezu Shrine
Hikawa Shrine
Kashima Shrine
>>
>>1333403
Not the anon you're responding too but can you spend a month in any of those places without getting bored?
I'm spending 2 and a half months in Japan. I plan on finding somewhere to settle and get to know once my railpass runs out.
>>
>>1333492
Don't be. It's ruined by chinese now.
>>
>>1333504
If you want somewhere to stay for a while, Tokyo and Osaka are your best options.
I know staying for a long period of time in some countryside sounds cool but it gets old fast and you end up hikki'ing in your room. You can also visit some rural towns from these cities without spending too much on transportation.
>>
>>1333476
Depends, you have mad hookups mate ? Do you know Japanese, trying to get laid but everything else should be fine
>>
>>1333514
Oh, I'm not a complete splerg but I have zero immunity to girls so I'll be about as useful as a rock in hookup situations
However I do speak fluent Japanese and look Japanese enough to maybe help you go to a pinsaro or soapland.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of dicking around town and maybe grabbing a meal together. I'm wonder if I already talked to you about this in the thread, are you >>1332510 by any chance?
>>
Ok why the fuck is every McDonald's sold out of the white chocolate pie and why is every Starbucks sold out of the candied pistachio frappe?? This is the worst time of my life.
>>
>>1333579
Sugar in those quantities is bad for you man. Clear your mind and accept but don't indulge the cravings. You too can cure your azucar addiction.
>>
Leaving this Saturday for 25 days can't wait. Going to be hanging out with a lot of the international exchange students from my school last year.
>>
Context:
>Going to Japan for the first time in February for 7 days
>Only planning to visit Tokyo and Kyoto
>Not gonna stay in any proper hotels
>Want stay in ryokan/onsen and also spend at least 1 night in a capsule hotel for the fun of it (may use airbnb for a night or two)
>Not a weeb so I'm not interested in any gaming or anime stuff
>Mainly want to experience traditional things such as temples and shrines with an emphasis on food
>Probably won't buy a lot of shit, maybe some cheap souvenirs
>Majority of my money will go on food and travel

Questions:
>Is a JR pass worth it if I only want to go to Kyoto (from Tokyo) and back?
>How much money will I need for 7 days including hotel costs to live comfortably (i.e. experience a lot)?
>How much minimum could I get by on for 7 days? Is ¥100,000 enough?
>Anywhere you guys recommend in Kyoto and Tokyo for food?
>Are 7 days enough for Kyoto and Tokyo or do you recommend I just focus on one city?

Thanks
>>
>>1333596
Fuck off you new age hippy where's my choco pie???
>>
File: 15127187830821925854118.jpg (2.78 MB, 3016x4032)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>1333602
Only black
>>
>>1333605
I know, the black ones aren't nearly as good as the white ones (just like with people lel) but everyone is sold out now
>>
>>1333607
White chocolate pies are usually sold out in the early December every year. If you go to the western area of Tokyo you may find them, but i guess it's difficult to find them in the crowded heart of a city where you may be at currently

T. Tokyoite
>>
>>1333610
Nah, even in Fukuoka and Beppu it was sold out :(((( nothing left to live for
>>
Is 200,000 yen enough for 3 weeks in tokyo, osaka and kyoto considering how I've already paid for lodgings?
>>
>>1333611
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIPxlFzDi0
>>1333613
200000yen would be too much even if you didn't pay for lodging i guess.
>>
>>1333613
>>1333615
Too much if u r a student or something. I dunno if you are planning to play like a rich man :(
>>
>>1333601
Ctrl+f the words "food" or "restaurant" in the thread, some decent advice throughout
>>
>be me, 24 male American
>just started college after several shitty, deadend jobs
>already feel like I'm wasting my time

I want to do something outside my comfort zone and do something challenging and exciting while I'm still young. What I have in mind is:

>Learn Japanese (at a semi competent level)
>Teach English while gaining a more solid grasp on the language
>Maybe become a translator and figure things out from there

I haven't really had any long term goals to work towards in my life, this at least gives me a start.

What would be a good way of starting? All I know is I want to gtfo of where I'm at ASAP. I'm looking into a few of these "immerse yourself in the language/ culture" programs. Any advice on any aspect of this would be appreciated.
>>
>>1333627
you wont get an english teaching job without a degree, that's the minimum requirement no matter where you're from.
>>
>>1333629
I assumed as much. Some of the programs I was looking into are through local colleges or offer credits in some cases. I'll get at least an Associates before going over, that'll give me time to learn the language anyway.
>>
File: 1.jpg (94 KB, 640x640)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Yo lads, In Tokyo at the moment and next is Okinawa.

Who is has been to Okinawa? What would you recommend?
>>
File: 2.jpg (68 KB, 700x591)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1333601

For Tokyo to Kyoto, if you wanna save money on the Shinkansen, then use a coach. Meitsu and willer express are good options and can be bought close to departure.

If you book through Willer express you can pay for your ticket at a family mart of K circle, in Japan. The Green machine there, press the button in the bottom left corner. Input your payment number and your mobile phone number, you get it in confirmation email.

Coaches are cheaper so I'd reccomend, I took Tokyo to Nagoya which was around 7 hours including break stops. So to Kytoto I'm imagine a 10-ish hour coach ride. Take an overnight bus, you can sleep on the bus

Also for accommodation, use Booking.com. Hostels are much cheaper than hotels. They all have wifi and showers and good privacy, just don't wank in your bed.

Money wise it depends on souvenirs. Samurai swords will sell for around £300, so around Yen 45000. But you could make it on yen 100,000, providing that doesn't include the flight.

Shinkansen was Yen 13,600, one way, from Nagoya to Hiroshima for me, So I'd imagine Tokyo to Kyoto would be less.

7 Days is more than enough, especially as you're not an anime person. In fact since you're so into history and all that, I would recommend going to Nara, the capital before Kyoto from 710 to 784, for a day, you can get there for about Yen 1500 return. Palace remains, friendly volunteers in the West and to the east the East is a huge Buddhist Park with deers everywhere and a giant Buddah. Its also Famouse for its Sake.

Personally I'd spend go to each city from Wednesday night to Sunday, I'm studying in Nagoya.

Also, try a tea ceremony in Kyoto. Usually Yen 2000.

So in short use Booking.com,and get the app of your phone, if you wanna save money use the coach, or bus. If you wanna travel fast, use Shinkansen - Bullet Train.

Food in Kyoto and Tokyo? Sorry Can't help you there. I'm a Brit so I Kept getting Indian every night.
>>
>>1333632
go to the northern part of okinawa, the southern part is urbanized
>>
>>1333495
What are the differences? Are they all packed during new years so there is no difference anyway? Also I assume that all trains are working during the night since all the Japs need to go back home at 2-3 am too?
>>
How are new year shrines in n Yokohama? Going there on 31st.
>>
>>1333538
Nah not me, I'll be in Tokyo tomorrow at 8am for 3 more nights then going else where in Nippon, where you wanna meet up ? Pref in some crowded place - don't wanna get shanked and dumped on some path
>>
>>1333710
Hah, you're going to have to be extremely unlucky to get mugged in Japan, especially in Tokyo.

Is this your first trip? If you're into anime I can give you a good tour around Akihabara, otherwise we can go to Asakusa or Odaiba for more touristy stuff
>>
Don't forget to visit Koenji
>>
>>1333710
I assume you're on your way from Narita or Haneda. Me and a friend are gonna be going to some flea/antique market thing in Yoyogi so I'll be around Tokyo the whole day.
>>
>>1333821
Are you
>>1333714
Either way I'm at my hotel now in Shinjuku and looking for shit to do, can Meetup if you want
>>
>>1333827
Yeah I'm that anon
Wanna meet us at Yoyogi for this flea market? I gotta go to shin okubo to take care of quick business, but I'll be there by 2 at the latest.
>>
>>1333827
Going to this thing
https://tokyocheapo.com/events/japanese-antique-market/
>>
>>1333828
Yeah man, I'll see you at 2. I have no 3g so I can't find u by 4chan. I will be the spastic with a clown sized selfie stick and raybans on
>>
>>1333831
All right, I don't know Yoyogi station at all but let's try to meet up at the North exit.

I'm an Asian guy with ski pants and hoodie, gonna be with a tall white guy with a ponytail and goatee
>>
>>1333831
Hey so we got a little late to the North exit, sorry. We waited for some time but nobody showed up(desu I have no idea what you look like with your description) so I'm assuming you went to Yoyogi park by yourself.

Hopefully I can find you there but there's probably ton of guys with sunglass and selfie stick
>>
>>1333850
Sorry man but Im at my hotel now, couldn't find you.
Any place you recommend to get dinner at ? We can meet there if you want
>>
>>1333860
We already got some conbini food and probably gonna head back after watching a movie.

I don't have any amazing food recommendation since I usually eat for cheap, but I really like Pepper Lunch if you're craving meat
>>
>>1333862
You guys going to Akihabara tomorrow ? If so, mind if I tag along
>>
>>1333865
My friend is gonna work(he lives here) tomorrow but I don't have any set plans. We can go to akiba and Nakano Broadway or anywhere you'd like to go as long as it's not expensive touristy shit like skytree
>>
>>1333868
I'm not sure on how to get there, where can we meet up b4 we take bus or someshit ?
>>
>>1333870
Do you know how to use the JR lines in Tokyo? If you can make it to Akiba I could meet you there, but if you really need some guidance then I can come to Shinjuku station. But I'm not gonna leave the station(I don't want to spend extra money to go all the way to Shinjuku station, and the fare only cares about where you got in and where you got out) so you're gonna have to figure out how to buy a ticket and find a way in.

Shinjuku station is a clusterfuck so you're gonna need to give me better description of yourself or shoot me a picture of where you want to meet.
>>
>>1333871
I'm 180cm/ dirty blond /white, and will be wearing a brown jacket/raybans/ a T shirt with otoya Yamaguchi on it. I also have a brown pouch around my shoulder, can you wear something different - because it's really hard to tell Japanese for me
>>
>>1333874
I mean something easily recognisable like bright colours
>>
>>1333874
>T shirt with otoya Yamaguchi on it
Did you buy it in Japan?
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 420x350)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1333874
Once I get back I'll take a picture of what I'll be wearing, I basically brought one jacket so that's basically all I'm gonna wear. I don't have any neon colored shirt, but I can wear this shirt in the pic, I guess it's kinda recognizable.
>>
>>1333878
Nah, why ? Is it like saying Yakuza ?
>>
>>1333882
For sure dude, can I meet you next to the busses or can you not pass the ticket area ?
>>
>>1333882
I don't know what do tonight, what do you recommend for a good night out ?
>>
File: IMG_20171209_182946.jpg (3.03 MB, 3036x4048)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
Different pants probably but it's basically gonna be this
>>1333887
Yeah, passing through the gate would be just wasting 100-200 yen. If you want to meet somewhere specific, I guess we could meet at some news stand or something but I don't remember what's inside that station. If you do remember Starbucks or something inside the gate let me know

>>1333890
Dunno what you like but try out some izakayas. If you don't know Japanese just ask 'osusume(recommendation) please' to the server and eat some good food and try some sake/shochu/whatever
>>
>>1333896
I'll find a Starbucks at the station and meet you there then, I was thinking of going to GasPanic and try my luck with the girls
>>
>>1333900
Yeah I don't know and haven't really cared about hooking up in Tokyo so can't help you with that stuff.

Also I think Starbucks is outside the station, so let's meet up outside doutor(pic related)
>>
>>1333903
Kk, hijacked this thread hard btw
>>
>>1333904
Yeah, people do this in these threads but it would be easier if you could post your steam profile or something.

Or LINE, I downloaded it on my phone but I haven't used it yet
>>
Hi guys

So, basically I'm stuck in Tokyo until the 21. I was supposed to work in the Nagano province and get a Visa, but had some issues with the boss and I preferred not to accept his working conditions, and thankfully I had already with me a return flight (just in case).

I am alone, and I don't really what to do in Tokyo. I tried Akiba since I'm staying nearby (minami-senju) but felt out of place after 10 seconds.

Would try kabukicho, but not sure how is safe for myself alone. My budget is really small since I spent almost everything for the travel and the (supposed) relocation.

If you have any suggestion or want to hang out let me know.
>>
So, Suica or Pasmo in Tokyo?
>>
>>1333937
same shit for Tokyo
>>
>>1333905
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198355453671/
here you go man
>>
>>1333903
Yo, got room for one more? I just got here and I've spent all day shaking the jetlag off so I'm down for anything. What time are you meeting?
>>
>>1333986
Sure I guess, where are you staying?
We didn't really decide on a time, it's just 'whenever I get to shinjuku' and probably sometime before noon
>>
>>1334037
I'm in Nishi-Ojima, I think I shouldn't have too much trouble finding you guys, surfing the subways seems easy enough. I guess I'll hang around that Shinjuku coffee store before noon and see if we spot each other, I'll be the 6'1 blue-eyed guy with the black snow overcoat and the dumb haircut that keeps puffing up.
>>
>3 more days till I'll be in tokyo

AGHHHHHHHHH I CANT WAIT
>>
File: nara.jpg (94 KB, 960x540)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Got back a week ago and had a really good time despite the wet weather. Thanks to all in this general.
>>
>>1334112
Where did you go? I'm in Tokyo right now and I'm wondering if I want to go up north or south. It's not quite snowing yet(more like rain/snow, so muddy/slippery snow even in aomori), so I'm thinking about going to Osaka
>>
File: deerrr.jpg (101 KB, 960x540)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>1334114

I did Tokyo > Fukuoka > Hiroshima > Osaka/Nara/Kyoto > Tokyo in about 3 weeks. Would have loved to go north but Hakata was a must for me due to ramen.
>>
>>1334045
Hey, so the other anon hasn't gotten on steam yet so I'm assuming he's asleep.
I'm gonna take a nap so don't come to shinjku yet, I'll post something here when I'm leaving
>>
>>1334125
Nevermind he woke up, headed out to Shinjuku and I'll be there around 12:30
>>
>>1334137
All right we're gonna head out to Akiba since we don't see anyone here, post in the thread and we'll wait wherever we are at
>>
>>1334137
Ok, I ended up getting bored so I went out to Shinjuku, bought a smartphone, then just took a subway to wherever and went exploring around Higashi-nakano. Doubt you'll get to read this but I'm in the Tozai line right now, I'll go to the AKB station and wait outside the gate, if i don't find you I think I'll just do Asakusa today and do Akihabara on the week, if you guys are down for something later like getting wasted let me know
>>
>>1334154
Just read it lol I'll be waiting outside the subway station, or should I head out to the train station?
>>
>>1334156
Head over to akiba and we'll meet you there. Currently on our way there with yamanote
>>
>>1334163
Outside the station Showa-Dori right now and ready to get my weeb on, where you at?
>>
>>1334172
We are at kotobukiya but we can come to meet you, what's around you?
>>
>>1334175
I'm right across the street from the Shosen Book tower
>>
>>1334176
That's the bookoff is at right? Heading there now
>>
You guys really need to have line or something in order to meet up instead of using 4chan.
>>
>>1333938
Figure as much. If I want to keep the card and came back to Japan later, let's say to Kyoto or Hiroshima, which one is better?
>>
Got a dumb question - I have a flight booked from Osaka to Tokyo, but I'm taking the train now. I then have a connecting flight from Tokyo to my home city - will not taking the Osaka to Tokyo flight affect my check in from Tokyo to home flight?
>>
>>1334205
Still no differences and then you would rather get a ICOCA one.
>>
>>1334223
Yes, with not taking the flight from Osaka to Tokyo you are canceling all flights.
>>
File: goshuin.jpg (1.83 MB, 3264x2448)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
>>1333639
Yep, these do not have much difference. You can visit anywhere you want.
Also, I strongly recommend you to get a goshuin.
>>
>>1334197
Right, we shared each others contacts so we won't need to do this again. Sorry for shitting up the thread
>>
>>1334389
How was the meetup? :D
>>
>>1334390
Everything went better than expected. I was kind of a tour guide but I really enjoy helping others in their travels so I had a lot of fun and hope they did as well.
But then we got drunk at nomihoudai/tabehoudai shabu shabu then went to Ueno park and afterwards met some Japanese guy who bought us beer and we clowned around at till he took us to weird do. Then after the park tried to take us to hakone or some shit, abut I'm too broken arend that there were SAO collab

Anyways, not the mcanga cafe, it can be sometimes hearty
>>
Heading to japan tomorrow. First time solo traveling, second time ever leaving the U.S., first time was work related.

Going to be staying in Akihabara to see weeb shit. Planning on hitting up arcades, maid cafes, trying to find somewhere for drinks at night. My nipponese isn't great, took classes in college so hoping I'll be able to communicate in semi-broken sentences.

Any specific recommendations? I'm trying not to go very far from my hotel, Figured I'd just be able walk outside and find things I'd be interested.

[spoiler]
>Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Looking at soaplands really seems interesting for a virgin weeb, would be great if I could get off the hogwartz express with this trip. Already going way outside my comfort zone with traveling at all.
[/spoiler]
>>
>>1334398
Well if it wasn't obvious enough I never come to /trv/, I didn't know spoiler tags wheren't a thing here. Feel free to ignore that.
>>
>>1334396
Sounds fucking amazing!
>>
Anyone else found Tokyo boring compared to KyotOsaka?
>>
>>1334402
It's always the question what you want to do.
>>
>>1334398
meet me when I arrive in 2-3 days

I'll show you everything
>>
Be careful if you go to any meet ups targeted at foreigners (language, international, travel). I'm pretty sure I have a stalker now
>>
>>1334485
are you a qt girl?
>>
anyone got recommendation on maid cafes that aren't super autistic (gotta ease in the normies)? I've been to granvania, which was pretty nice but was more of a bar than a maid cafe.
>>
>>1334396
Min it's Alex. Are u alright mate you sound pro per fucked
>>
>>1334485
are you a qt girl?
>>
>>1334537
Maid cafes are all autistic
>>
>>1334537
A bar maidcafe sounds pretty interesting. Do the maidos interact with you or too busy bar tending?
>>
>>1334623
Dunno, some maid stopped me on the street took me to her bar, and she was a specific maid assigned to tending my drinks and talking with me for however long I paid for. I think minimum was an hour or something
>>
>>1334637
Sounds pretty fun. That place is a few blocks from where I'm staying, I'll have to check it out.
Did you're maido speak English or are you fluent in moon?
>>
>>1334642
I spoke moon, I had some friends who were EOPs and it didn't really seem like they enjoyed it since they just talked amongst themselves.

Who knows, they're usually college students so you might run into an English major, but I'm sure hand signs work as a method of communication everywhere including at maid cafes
>>
>>1334623
Dude last year a group of 4channers went to kuroneko, a nomihoudai for 1000 yen for 30 mins full of cute maids and it was the best time ever

If i can find enough people in between 14th and 20th, I'll organise another one and we can go and drink it up.
>>
>>1334646
I'm down to join, but I'm leaving Tokyo for few days so I'll probably be there from 17/18th.

Your experience sounds pretty damn awesome, I'm >>1334645 and I went in with normie friends and they were not interested in the maid at all, so I was just talking about depressing life stuff with the meido
>>
>>1334645
I'll be solo. My moon isn't great but the idea of attempting to piece together a conversation between broken moon and broken maido engrish isn't bad.
>>
>>1334646
Whats the full name of kuroneko? Trying to look it up but just keep getting orimo shit.
>>
File: 1314921904180.png (452 KB, 640x480)
452 KB
452 KB PNG
Planning my first trip over there, should I do a Tokyo and 1 day Kyoto 8-10 day trip or can I make a Tokyo-Kyoto 1 day-Osaka 1.5 day 10 day trip happen?

I know some basic parts of the language, took some classes in Uni

also, whats the general tips for interacting with locals? Should I expect any racism for being a 6'2" mexican kid?
>>
>>1334651
Kuroneco at nakano broadway
>>
>>1334654
When r u gonna come?
>>
>>1334669

Not sure, college prof told me fall is not a bad time to go, summer airfare is expensive and winter is cold.

Hopefully next year or the year after
>>
>>1334485
Please respond
>>
>>1334672
>and winter is cold
How is winter cold in Japan? Unless you go to Hokkaido or something or climb Fuji of course.
>>
>>1334672
Vamos hang around when in Tokyo
T.estudiante japones
>>
File: bjork gif.gif (489 KB, 500x373)
489 KB
489 KB GIF
>>1334398

As for soaplands go to Paradie inn. They are legit and gaijin friendly. In the discription above is a link to a webpage that itself has a link to their webpage

I have used them twice and was very satisfied. Yen 15,000 for 30 min. 20,000 yen for 45 mins; Christmas discount!

The website has has a map to the location and a short video showing you how to get there - Its a short walk from Kawasaki station, buying trains tickets is very easy as you press the cost of the train ticket on the machine.

Don't wanna sound like a hentai but less us know if you do it and which which girl
>>
File: 7.jpg (13 KB, 236x337)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1334707

> Paradise Inn

Spelling mistake sorry
>>
File: bjork blinking gif.gif (57 KB, 400x225)
57 KB
57 KB GIF
>>1334654

Racism? No although I'm white. My nigger friend hasn't experience any either so that's the best I can say

For interaction, just be polite and smile. They don't mind gaijin who don't cause trouble, the only thing Japs hate more than taking responsibility for war crimes is trouble.

As for the trip, use booking.com and google maps to plan, very useful. Also for travel I would recommend meitetsu-bus, where you buy tickets at the counter, and Willer Express, where you can book and play online, or pay at a convenience store using your phone number and payment number provided in an email, its the one in the bottom left corner. (Shinkansen is very expensive)

Also if you are staying on Osaka or Kyoto, I'd recommend doing a day trip to Nara if you love history.

Also as for waiting until 2019? Come on man you gotta do what ya wanna do. Book plane tickets asap, they will be cheaper. Use a travel agency also, never go direct
>>
>>1334713
>Use a travel agency also, never go direct

Please don't. Travel agencies are only helpful if you're trying to book cruises or superlux resorts. Just use google flights to keep an eye on flight prices, and book directly with the airline if at all possible. If something goes wrong with delays, cancellations, or schedule changes making a connecting flight impossible, not having to talk to the airline through an agent or OTA is invaluable.
>>
Today is my first time traveling alone and I used Travelocity to book my stuff. Made it simple for someone who's never done this before
>>
anyone down to have a few drinks and sus out Harlem tomorrow night? I leave on the 14th.
>>1333538
>>1333710
>>
File: 6.jpg (769 KB, 936x1213)
769 KB
769 KB JPG
>>1334764

In UK travel agencies are much better than alternative, don't know if same is true elsewhere
>>
okay maybe someone can shed some light on this

gf and I try to mingle with locals, find a bar on a side street, do karaoke, seem to make good friends, have some beers, good time

people start going home, bartender lady brings the check

tells me it's 1000yen a beer, kinda high but whatever, put 7000 down for our drinks and she writes down the total number as 25000yen, saying we still owe 18000yen.

this made no sense so we refused to pay it. left the 7000yen for the beer which during the conversation she indicated that was proper for the beer

walked out of the place without looking back, think they were saying they were calling the police, don't know much japanese

this wasn't deep city, not a fancy or theme or hostess bar, we didn't order any fancy drinks. wasnt even a packed night for them. can someone tell me wtf happened?

no knock at our hotel yet, should I be worried about jap jail? was this just an attempt to swindle some tourists or did I miss something?
>>
>>1334901
maybe people thought you'll pay for everyone's beers?
>>
>>1334940
she gestured towards our beers and said "beeru okay" and gestured back at the 7000yen so I don't think so
>>
>>1334791
Naw sorry m8, I'm getting out of Tokyo tomorrow. Only one guy will still around Tokyo and maybe you could hang out with him
>>
>>1334949
Getting out of Tokyo today*
>>
>>1334947
Not the guy that you're replying to, but gestures doesn't mean shit. People say handsign works as a method of communication but it's really like 75% accuracy at the most.
She still could've meant that you were paying for everyone's beer, or maybe you guys secretly drank 25 cups or beer or if you guys were forgetting the karaoke bill(hourly or specific room or whatever) or if you guys also ordered some kind of food. There's a chance that she was just trying to rip off dumb gaijins, but I've never heard of this happening before(I guess it depends on where but you haven't mentioned it)

I mean the possibilities are you guys were the ones there, not me. If everything you remember is only doing enough things for 7000 yen, then just explain that to the cop if they ever come. Not like they're going to arrest anyone for miscommunication
>>
>>1334952
>I mean the possibilities are
I mean the possibilities are infinite*

Fuck I can't type, I'm going back to sleep
>>
>>1334952
no food except the chips she poured when we sat down small bar, shared karaoke, no private rooms

trying not to sweat it. it's the next morning and no one's hit up the hotel yet. if it does come to a confrontation we did pay something so it's not like we were just trying to ditch.

kinda just pissed because it was really a blast up til that point, felt like we were really having a good time with people but now I don't know if any of that was real or part of some semi elaborate scheme, wish it hadn't tainted the experience.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.