[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: sanfran.jpg (153 KB, 585x378)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
Hey /trv/,

Looking to stay in San Fran for a week soon. For anyone who has been there, what are some of hidden jewels of the city? Also, what are some of the gotchas/areas to avoid?
>>
I too am doing this in February.
>>
Hey this is relevant to me!! I’m going the 3rd of January. So far the plans include golden state park, the presidio, Chinatown, fisherman’s wharf, the exploratorium after dark, Muir Woods, lands end and the mission district.

Definitely looking for nightlife stuff and great places to eat. Plus what’s the deal with pot there?
>>
For me is the China town, I can always find old Chinese veterans who fought in various wars in modern Chinese history eating in the same restaurant you're eating
>>
Lived in the Bay Area for 26 years.

Places to avoid are the Tenderloin and Hunter's Point. The Tenderloin is annoying to avoid, because it lies in the heart of the city, right next to Union Square/Nob Hill. It's doable in the daytime, but can get sketchy at night. Also smells like piss. Hunter's Point/Bayview is also a shitty area, but there's nothing around it so you have no reason to be close to it. Fisherman's Wharf is touristy as fuck, but can still be fun if you've never been.

I can answer questions I guess, just ask me.
>>
>>1338898
dragons beaux has great soup dumpings

the trip through the base to get the good shot of the bridge is cool

haight/ashbury is lame

dlxsf is the best skateshop. fuck ftc.

if you like metal benders and moltov are pretty cool bars

downtown is pretty meh.

you should google for videos filmed at the armory.
>>
The Wharf is pretty overrated, but there is one thing that I liked. There's an arcade museum that has everything from old nickelodeons to video games and they all work.
I almost got my shoulder dislocated by an arm wrestling machine from the 50s.
>>
What’s the deal with pot there? I know its going to be legal but I’m not sure where to buy
>>
>>1341485
What are your favorite places to eat?
>>
>some degen fag wants to come to my city to smoke weed
kys, i'm out
>>
>>1341506
Just go to a dispensary. Weed is absolutely not hard to find in California.
>>
>>1341514
>San Francisco
>Not the worldwide capitol of degeneracy
>>
>>1341487
Is Haight/Ashbury commercial as fuck now?
>>
>>1341539
But I don’t have a green card
>>
I got tickets for the exploratorium at night, have any of you guys been?
>>
>>1341542
Worse. Faux crust punks and trustifarians pan handling.
>>
In Chinatown, go to Sam Wo. It's the oldest Chinese restaurant in the city. You are supposed to get their little pork dumplings, apparently.
>>
>>1341567
it's pretty fun. lots of peeps getting drunk and playing with the exhibits~
>>
>>1341566
doesnt matter, as of today its legal for recreation
>>
one thing (if it interests you, very much depends on the person) is thursday night the california academy of science does a latenight thing. they have music and drinks and certain theme that switches week to week

https://www.calacademy.org/nightlife
>>
San Francisco is all about the massage parlors with happy endings. Go see what all the rage is about!
>>
What’s the best Chinese food? Do you suggest hunan home
>>
>>1342865
But where can you purchase it legally? I’m not sure if you can just go to a random dispensary. And the legal places are going to be packed
>>
>>1342866
Unfortunately exploratorium is Thursday also. I’m only there for a week
>>
>>1343331
Most cigar shops are selling, TONS of businesses went into legal selling on the 1st
>>
>>1338898
I live in downtown SF. Avoid Fisherman's Wharf like the plague. For the water, go to the Embarcadero and Ferry building instead.

Marina has a hated reputation but has the hottest/most girls if you're trying to get laid.

If you want something less cookie cutter and bro-y, but want to go out and get hammered, go to Blondee's in SF for nightlife.

In the daytime, go to Marina Green and walk along beach towards bridge. The Legion of Honor is a nice art museum and you can go to the beach afterwards and often will see whales.

Go to Dolores Park to hang out on a nice day.

Chinatown is really awesome. On a weekend, go to Portsmouth Square (historical center of city) to see old Chinese people playing mahjong and doing tai chi.

Afterwards, you can walk to North Beach to get gelato and get good food. There's a park in the center of North Beach that is really nice.

I also really like:
-Russian Hill (nice and has great views)
-Japantown (cool architecture, arcade and Japanese store)
-Mission (hipster shops on Valencia)
-Pac Heights (great restaurants, nightlife, and billionaire homes to gawk at)
>>
>>1343329
My fav place is House of Xian dumplings. I get the pork dumplings and the Shanghai soup dumplings.

Hole in the wall but it's my favorite near downtown.
>>
>>1341488
>The Wharf is pretty overrated

The Wharf is not San Francisco. It's a tourist containment area.
>>
>>1341542
It's kind of a relic, without a scene that matters. Not a bad place to quickly visit and hang out in though.
>>
>>1341540
San Francisco's rent prices are eugenic. Smartest people I've lived around
>>
>>1341448
>fisherman’s wharf
Don't. Do the Ferry Building and Embarcadero area instead.

>>1341509
I really like the restaurants in Pac Heights. Fresca might be one of my fav restaurants, but all of them are good.
>>
>>1338898
Get a carne asada burrito with strawberry agua fresca from La Taqueria in the Mission. Ask for the burrito el dorado style
>>
Hoping it's not too late but I'm visiting too in Feb, would be great to grab a bite with you guys.
>>
>>1341448
there are 2 dispensaries that recreational use is legal in Berkley and Oakland
>>
>>1341567
slightly overrated
>>
>>1343331
Berkeley Patients Care Collective
>>
>>1338898
Local here - go to Elephant Sushi on Geary and leave your number so they can call you when your table is ready, then walk down to Whiskey Thieves and get a special.

Uber local.
>>
>>1343856
Oh and it's a little touristy, but go to House of Nanking and get the sesame chicken and a bowl of crackling rice soup. Then walk half a block down and get a Pisco Punch at Comstock.
>>
>>1343857
Aw shit, then a slice of Sacrapatina at Stellas like two blocks down Columbus.
>>
The Italian neighborhood is the only area worth a visit desu
>>
Born and raised near SF and still live here.

>>1341485
>Places to avoid are the Tenderloin and Hunter's Point.
Facts.

>>1341487
>haight/ashbury is lame
Lies.

>>1341506
>What’s the deal with pot there?
You can smoke out in the open and no one will care. Marijuana is legal in California and is easy to find in San Francisco. There are shops for it.

>>1341542
>Is Haight/Ashbury commercial as fuck now?
Not really. You'll still find lots of vintage clothing stores, young runaways begging for money, psychedelic architecture, bars, and any drug you can want. I like it. And it's near Golden Gate Park.

>>1342866
Can confirm. Fun event.

And for everyone saying stay away from Fisherman's Wharf, don't listen to them. At least go and walk around, check out Pier 39. You gotta do it at least once, just walk through it. Lots of shops, lots of tourists, sea lions. Just don't buy your souvenirs there because they're more expensive. Buy your souvenirs in the Mission or Chinatown.

Don't forget about North Beach. Columbus Avenue between Lombard and Broadway is very nice, and the streets around it.
>>
bums

there's so many fucking bums. i dont know why there are so many bums. ive been to new york city, there were a few, and i expected as much, but SF was like, dude, wtf?
>>
>>1344173
>ive been to new york city, there were a few, and i expected as much, but SF was like, dude, wtf?
They don't freeze to death here, basically. And we don't have enough shelter beds, unlike NYC.

Long time SF resident here. Among our many tourist traps, I think the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz are both worth checking out. And I lived for several years in the Haight-Ashbury, so I can agree that even though much of it is pretty lame it's actually a pretty vital and interesting neighborhood in many ways. Home to our best record store, a lot of vintage clothing, and a large handful of decent, pretty cheap restaurants. Any of the head shops or hippy museum b******* are pretty stupid, but that's actually a relatively small part of the hood.

San Francisco is very much a city of neighborhoods. We have a lot of little main drags that each have their own character, and their own local attractions, and their own local vibes. So I recommend picking a neighborhood and just wandering around for a while. My neighborhood, the Lower Haight, around the intersection of Haight and Fillmore streets, remains a pretty cool place for local design shops, galleries, T-shirt stores, bars, and restaurants. The proprietress of my local coffee shop refers to it as "the last bohemian neighborhood in San Francisco," which is only a slight exaggeration. The Mission used to be our hippest neighborhood, but for the last few years it's been getting more and more gentrified as the artsy freaks have been priced out by the tech bros. Still a very good restaurant and OK bar destination though.

For those who warn against going to the Tenderloin, they're not completely off-base, as it is certainly our most central poor neighborhood, but it's more depressing than it is dangerous, and it's home to a lot of good restaurants and bars. You'll meet our lowest-budget prostitutes, and lots and lots of addicts and dealers of various stripes, but assuming you're not an idiot you're unlikely to get hurt.
>>
File: meth-in-sf[1].jpg (51 KB, 500x500)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
East Bayer here (transplanted from Europe), I wanted to be excited about SF and visit there as much as I could for photography, foods, night life, or just hanging about, but dear god that city smells like piss and is the dirtiest hole I've been to (and I've been to Hong Kong and loved it). Also I feel like disinfecting myself and all my clothes after each time I have to ride BART.

I have a few friends who live in the actual city and every time we hang out I feel like they're under some mass hallucination that they don't see (and smell) all the shit around them. It's unbelievable.
>>
Lived in SF for 6 years, 3 years ago so some of the info might be outdated

some of my favs-
outdoor spots: china beach in the morning, land's end during the day, dolores park during the day, grandview park, corona park at night, ocean's beach for a blunt and 40
neighborhoods: mission, sunset
grub: auntie aprils chicken and waffles (probably only reason i ever went to hunters point), steak and shrimp super burrito from el farolito, mission chinese
lunch: $5 buffet at the gold club strip joint
happy hour: $1 margaritas at underdogs, the fish/shrimp tacos are fuckin cash too
>>
Do the neighbors still call the cops on adults using the Seward Street Slides?

>>1343673
Shut the fuck up

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.