[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: tourism17n-8-web[1].jpg (77 KB, 635x409)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Hey Anons. Canadian here, first time going to New York. Going to be staying from the 25th to 2nd, at the Central Park West Hostel.

Does anyone have any experience with New York during the holiday season, or New York in general? Things I'm planning to do so far;

>NYE ball drop
>Central Park
>Statue of Liberty
>Empire State Building
>Trump Tower
>Brooklyn Bridge

Any good museums, street events, restaurants, or other things I should check out? Any New York tips in general?
>>
I've got a red-eye flight, so if any Anons want to personally get in contact with me, my Kik is NMulls

I'll check Kik and this thread sporadically. Thanks!
>>
Walk quickly on the sidewalk and don't suddenly stop short to take pictures. There is always somebody behind you annoyed at your slow walking speed.

Really, what do you expect? Going to NYC at christmas is like the most common thing ever so it should be easy to find tons of recs.

By the way, if you don't have tickets for the Statue of Liberty months in advance, you aren't going. It's not worth it anyway. Just look at it from the Staten Island ferry, which is free.
>>
>>1340136
>months in advance for tickets

Aah, seriously? I thought it was just a walk up and go thing. Damn.
>>
>>1339982

>NYE ball drop

native new yorker here, don't do this. its suffocatingly crowded, you have to essentially stand still in the cold for hours because if you don't show up way in advance, you won't be able to even get in. don't let me stop you if you are really set on it. I just fucking hate anything around times square so i'm heavily biased.
>>
I'm not lying here, if you're claustrophobic be careful. I'm not, but during christmas time, there have been many times where my feet have literally been lifted off the ground from the crowds on fifth avenue and near Times Square.

You're going to see things you never thought you would, in terms of the amount of people. Good luck...
>>
>>1340139

It's not a walk up and go thing. If you go to where the ferry leaves, a bunch of Haitian and Jamaican ex-cons who are hired by scamming travel agencies will harass you to buy statue of liberty tickets but it's extremely fake. Don't get tricked. You probably won't get robbed or mugged in NYC these days, but it's easy to get scammed or tricked if you're an idiot. Don't buy anything from anybody on the street.
>>
>>1340237
but that black guy's demo cd is going to make your ears orgasm trust me just give him the 15 bucks and enjoy
>>
>>1340139
I went pre-9/11 with a school outing. It's overrated; you aren't missing anything.

>>1340237
>You probably won't get robbed or mugged in NYC these days,
Friends keep warning me to be careful after dark, eg in the parks. It gets dark at 6 and I'm not gonna coop up in my hotel 16 hours a day. I think the crime is overstated and it isn't actually unsafe unless you're in an obvious ghetto. True or false?
>>
>>1340279
You shouldn't be in the park after dark, this isn't a meme. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've done it more than a few times, but you see some sketchy people and central park, for instance, is very desolate. You can be on Central Park South with a million people one minute and then on a winding pathway under a bridge with trees surrounding you in a 2 minute walk. Then of course there are places like the Rambles you definitely don't want to be after dark. Also they close at a certain time and you will get in trouble if you're there after that time.

But obviously the rest of the city is fine after dark, you can go most places at 2am and only have to worry about straying too far from people and that might end up getting you in trouble... but it should be obvious.

Crime is opportunistic, if you make yourself an easy target, that's how you find yourself in trouble most often. I've been punched in the face by a drug addict on Fifth Ave in broad daylight who then tackled an asian women to the ground right after. I've also had an autistic guy hold a knife to me on the subway in full view of a dozen people. The crime problem isn't a joke, the city is filled with niggers, spics, and mental patients. What do you expect to happen? This isn't Jackson Hole or Quebec.
>>
As someone who lives in NY why anyone wants to go to the ball drop is beyond me. It's going to be reaaallyyyyy cold that day too. Also the traffic getting out and the subway will be PACKED for hooooours
>>
>>1340242
lol, reminds me when I went to NYC during 4th of july. Some dude kept pushing hard for me to buy his CD saying anything would help so I gave him 1 dollar. He really looked upset but I was too hungover to deal with his shit.
>>
Mexican here, I'm going to Washington D.C making a large scale in NYC, 9 hours in the city, I know the JFK airport is away, so, what do you recommend me to do in those 9 hours?

I'll be there in january 7th
>>
>>1340641
that's tough... JFK is far... try taking an uber to wall street maybe, you can take the subway, too. both are gonna be an hour trip. otherwise, closerby is Flushing or Williamsburg but idk if that would even be worth it.

I'm not one to try and wing it with layovers because I'm paranoid, but maybe other anons have had stops in NYC that they managed to do something during. The area immediately surrounding JFK is very bad. Even the Rockaways are just sorta meh-tier. Coney Island is maybe 30 minutes along the Belt Pkwy and is a pretty unique sorta NYC thing to do.
>>
I'm going to NYC in March for 2 weeks for a solo trip. I am from Edinburgh, Scotland.

Most people here go for 5-7 days, am I completely bonkers for booking a whole 2 weeks? I plan on staying in a $30 a night hostel and couchsurfing when possible.
>>
>>1340676
lol, well... if you find stuff you like doing, it'll go by quickly. I would have trouble for two weeks, consider taking a trip during the time. There are some nice little towns along the Hudson River.

Otherwise, the museums (Met, Cloisters, Whitney, Tenement, maybe Finance if you're into that), the nightlife, the parks (the botanical gardens, hell even the Bronx Zoo, Flushing Meadows, Fort Washington Park, Prospect Park, Central Park, High Line, duh), the Roosevelt Island Tramway is neat, Staten Island Ferry, hmm..

I mean, the whole city is pretty much shopping or eating, the architecture is there, too... but I prefer Edinburgh. Skyscrapers are nothing like anything in the UK, though. Yeah, dunno, it's a big city so it'd be hard for me to list everything... but I still would consider a side trip. Not to NJ or Connecticut, but probably up the Hudson a bit somewhere.
>>
>>1340686
Thanks for the reply. A few things there I can add to my map!

I did consider a side trip, but was advised against the usual DC trip. So thanks for directing me to stick to the Hudson - if anyone has any towns specifically, please chime in!

Any tips to cut costs? My diet is slightly specific as I have a wheat allergy - no generic $1 slices. Obviously I've cut a lot by not booking a Manhattan Hotel. I will be walking and using the subway for transportation.

In terms of nightlife - so far, all I have to do is comedy clubs and the movies. I have plenty nice theatres on my map but I need some advice for comedy - so far I have the Comedy Cellar on my list.

I don't drink at home and to save money probably will not drink in NYC - what else is on offer in terms of nightlife?
>>
File: 5773353.jpg (472 KB, 1224x1224)
472 KB
472 KB JPG
>>1340690
DC is pretty far, and yeah dunno wouldn't really recommend it that much. Even the places I know enough to recommend are pretty far, like Saratoga Springs or Lake Placid or Lake George. Hopefully another anon knows a thing or two, but Hudson, Cornwall, and Sleepy Hollow seem quaint.

As for NY on a budget, I'm not the guy to help you, the wheat allergy should be easy to work around, but food can be pricey in general. Koreatown is great btw, even at 3am there's karaoke and bbq and whatever else going on. The subway is definitely adequate and taxis and ubers are really unnecessary... but walking is a lot easier than most tourists care to think, and walking from Times Square to the village isn't the slog some people think it is.

Dunno anything about comedy either, I'm sure Williamsburg has a few cool things like that, though. Actually, Williamsburg is really cool, you might want to spend some time there. Flushing Chinatown is interesting compared to Manhattan Chinatown, and if you're into ethnic stuff, well Queens has everything from Uzbek diners to Ethiopian grills to Nepalese cafes and they're all pretty cheap, just might not be able to get your point across about a wheat allergy at some of these places.

I'm a drinker so my nightlife when I lived there sort of depended on that. Otherwise, Time Out NYC or some other magazine will probably always have events listed and other things. There are some barcades in Williamsburg..? Karaoke in Koreatown? Yeah.. not the best at this, another tourist might give better advice.

Ice skating at Bryant Park is fun, and the Kinokuniya bookstore next to Bryant Park is a must-see if you ask me, even if you're not into Japanese stuff, it's just a high-end bookstore with some cool things.
>>
>>1340701
Wow thank you for taking the time for replying! It really is much appreciated!

Wheat allergy certainly not an issue in NYC, I have so many food places saved on my good maps. I was just wondering if you knew of any food-hacks per se, maybe a specific bodega with a lunchtime buffet to fill up with cheap.

Wow, a friend of a friend who studied in NYC, she recommended the very same bookstore by Bryant Park! She is studying Japanese and is moving there next year!

I will take note of all these and add them to my map, thanks a lot.
>>
>>1340279
Crime in NYC is very low in most of NYC
>>1340290
Pussy detected, probably white trash from Staten Island

Most of the "spic" neighborhoods are pretty safe, except for the ones with a huge

>>1340661
I work right outside of JFK, that area is super boring but it's not dangerous. I second your recommendation to go to Coney Island, that's probably the most interesting thing to do that's closeish to JFK. But then again, it will be super cold in January so maybe that's not the best idea either. Maybe Bushwick or Williamsburg but that might eat up close to 2 hours total incommuting.
>>
>>1340701
I think you gave him good suggestions but I want to point out that Queens is massive, over 2 million people live there and it's large enough geographically to be a major city as well. So more specifically, the most interesting neighborhoods tend to be along the 7 train, with the Jackson Heights and Flushing stops probably having the most to offer.
>>
>>1340878
*except for the ones with a huge concentration of housing projects
>>
>>1340878
lol I've lived in every borough except Staten Island, I look like a pussy so that makes me an easy target, won't deny that. Also not trash, but whatever, you're the brown guy who thinks everyone who doesn't agree with you is a liar or white trash. yawn
>>
>>1340242
FUCK YOU.... I got scammed my first time in NYC by that fuck.
>"Free" CD
>Autographs it
>My man, tha signature is 10 dollas
>>
>>1340661
>>1340878
Thanks guys, i've been investigating the best ways to travel inside the city, and maybe the subway is my best option, but maybe the biggest problem is the snow, somebody told me that when snows in the city, everything stops, so it becomes hard to move inside the city!
>>
File: o-PUDDLE-570.jpg (96 KB, 570x380)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>1341070
A bit of an overstatement. NYC gets snow all the time, but clearing it just takes a whole brigade. The slush is the problem, and if it snows when you're there, you'll get to see the infamous NYC black slush, disgustingly smelly black piles on every curb. Walking definitely becomes a bit more of a challenge, but the roads and tracks get salted and you'll be on your merry way. It won't be Edinburgh cold but NYC does have its chilly moments.

Subway does get you anywhere, just expect a 20+ minute trip if you're going deep into the outer boroughs. Also keep check of the lines, some are express. For instance the ACBD will run on the same line for a while but only B and C make every stop. The subway map is clear about this but for some reason people see the color they want and get on the train not knowing it might skip the next 4 stops. Trains are only sporadic late at night and on weekends.
>>
>>1339982
get yourself a hop on hop off bus tour that includes the boat ride tour

Be prepared for ball drop to include inadequate bathroom facilities for all.
>>
>>1341007
>not playing along on purpose then innocently saying "oh.. im sorry, i dont have any money"
>>
>>1341007
Just walk away? What the fuck
>>
>>1341080
Edinburgh cold? It's 0 degrees celcius (freezing) here currently, that's about as cold as it gets.

I've know many people to go to NYC in Jan and Feb and experience bitter sub zero temperatures they described as unbearable.

I haven't been to NYC in winter but I live in Edinburgh and can say our winters certainly are not as severe as yours.
>>
>>1341111
These black people are pretty intimidating and sort of try to confront you in an aggressive way.

>>1341112
I see, I've only been to Edinburgh in August and froze my ass off at night. You won't experience much subzero temps from my experience, but with wind chill, it could definitely feel like 20 degrees (or neg 6 or whatever), you really will need a scarf and earmuffs or a big hat. A big jacket and maybe longjohns, and waterproof shoes might be helpful if it seems like it might snow.

If your ears are uncovered you might end up pretty sick from the cold.
>>
>>1341095
>>1341111
>>1341114
My first problem was I made eye contact
>>
>>1339982
>NYE BALL DROP

What the fuck are you thinking?
>>
>>1341200
propaganda

please don't discourage him, I want to read his greentext
>>
>>1341070
Nothing really stops unless there is a massive blizzard
>>
>>1340882
I'm white and you're really not giving good advice, most people who would live in NYC aren't "hurr niggers" alt-right autists.

I'm pretty sure you're the guy who always shits up these threads,and I'm not even sure if you still live here.
>>
>>1339982

IoI so this is why you're reaIIy here?

>>>/soc/26070875

>lTT: SoIo """"""traveIer"""""" can't get any at the hosteI and desperateIy seeks a chance to Iose his virginity in another country via 4chan

Your kids wiII Iove this story, aIthough at this rate they'II either be adopted or a drunken accident Iike you.
>>
>>1341286
I'm not an "alt-right" since I don't support Donald Trump and I'm a progressive. Doesn't mean I can't be real about race, and a black city doesn't make for a fabulous destination.

I only "shit" up threads because everyone starts autistically screeching if I dare mention race. and no, I don't live there. But after decades of living there, I think I know a thing or two about the place.
>>
What are some strip clubs in NYC/Queens that are nice? Never been to a strip club in NYC before.
>>
>>1341534

I stayed in Harlem for a week back in May of 2015. The AirBnB was nice enough, but I can't say that it was all terrible. The predominately black neighborhoods have let things fall to shit though. The fact that they have the nerve to complain about gentrification is a sign that they prefer to be the victims rather than the victors
>>
>>1341609
Harlem used to be a white neighborhood, that's where my family is from. The fact that they're allowed to take over a neighborhood and make it their own, but then no one else can move in or change it, just reeks of hypocrisy.
>>
>>1341007
Same thing happened to me in times square back in 2011

>offered signatured cd of some random b-side of an obscure jamaican band
>ay mayne can I get a tip
>sure
>take wallet out on the street like a fucking mook
>takes twenty out of my wallet when I hand him 5, he adds the 20 to a wad of cash
>demand I get my 20 back
>suddenly 3 big dudes come up and try to intimidate me to leave
>stick to my guns
>guy returns the 20 after hesitating with his goons

It was pretty scary desu, I was only 15 and a skinny kid on my own
>>
>>1341534
Reminder that gays always lie.
>>
>>1341618
Harlem is one of the neighborhoods that actually was black for a very long time, aside from certain parts of it
>>
>>1341717
My stalker is here!

>>1341731
Yeah, but I'm just pointing out that 90 years ago, it was a different type of place and was that way for 70 years, and was a different place before that.

My point being gentrification happens.
>>
>>1341618
Harlem has been BLACKED for a long time anon. East Harlem slightly different, but they often get confused. East Harlem had a lot of the Italians etc that got pushed.
>>
>>1341981
No, they pushed themselves out
>>1341739
Well yeah, neighborhoods have always been changing. The anti-gentrification activists think that these neighborhoods were always occupied by black and Puerto Rican people.
>>
I live in new rochelle and am gunna have to kill time for about 4 to 5 or so hours in the city tomorrow due to reasons. anyone got any ideas on where I should go or what I should do? I got about 100 bucks
>>
>>1342017
By the city I mean manhattan, if that wasn't clear - whoops
>>
Aren't the majority of people who go to Vegas clubs couples?
>>
>>1341007
This happened to me in Hollywood. Just be assertive that you have no cash. He was persistent enough that I walked away with his CD with my name written on it, but I didn't give him any money
>>
>>1340676

yo -- hit up Bossa Nova civic club

trust me all I do is travel and party, you'll love that place
>>
Are there many police officers in NYC? I hear lots of stories on scamming and intimidating but it seems like the victims never reached out for help from police officers and I assume they weren't there.
I don't really want to fight with big black dudes who might be hiding knives somewhere, is NYC not a place where you can rely on cops that much?
>>
>>1343629
The cops are all over, but they don't do much about solicitors. Watch any "walking in Times Square" video to see the type of harassment you should expect. Just blackies hawking CDs, asking you to buy tickets, trying to do magic tricks, dressed in costume, whatever. Actually there was once a big problem with niggers dressed like Elmo and Spiderman trying to intimidate people into giving them money, so they've cracked down a bit.

You should only expect it in Times and Herald Square, Washington Square Park area, Fifth Avenue, and around Central Park.

Yeah, some are hiding knives. I left NYC because I've had a dude hold a knife to me on the subway in front of a dozen people. Also had a nigger punch me in the face on Fifth avenue.

ooh or this time someone took a sharpie to my face in Brooklyn. Thought I was knifed in the face LOL

I mean, I guess any city with darkies has this problem. There are not only cops all over NYC (at most subway stations), but even active military at the major tourist sites (Times Square, lower Manhattan, the train stations, etc.).
>>
Shit my ride to NYC just got cancelled cuz of the coming storm and now I just wasted my airbnb + 1 day of my vacation. Fuck u jesus
>>
>>1343548
Have you been to House of Yes? That's another club in Bushwick which I would recommend.
>>
>>1343684
autism
>>
>>1343846
"okay"

enjoy living in filth, dirtbag
>>
>>1343862
You must be bitter because you keep posting about New York
>>
File: IMG_20180104_202010.jpg (1.36 MB, 4160x2340)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>1343548
Beein in NYC rote now. Got to bossanova civic Club tonight: closed. I only have tomorrow night left to try them. House of yes is sold out unfortunately and I found out about it when I returned to.the hostel. So should I give BNCC another shot tomorrow and if so what other places are recommended in that area?
>>
>>1344274
weather emergency unfortunately

I think things should be back to normal by tomorrow night. And House of Yes you can buy tickets at the door, it's just more expensive than online.
>>
>>1343684
That sounds pretty terrible, but it might be worth it if it makes you tougher.
>>
bump
>>
>>1339982
Don't go north of Central Park. That's a nigger no-go zone.
>>
>>1346478
It's not 1979 anymore, faggot. Your redneck ass can't afford a closet in Harlem.
>>
>>1346708
>nigger detected
>>
>>1346726
I'm white but you're a butthurt flyover
>>
okay so I'm gonna be at House of Yes tonight, if any of you happen to be going let me know

I'll be wearing a shiny blue shirt

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.