[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 121 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: jyapan.jpg (109 KB, 1024x882)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Japan General - Hatsumōde Edition
As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese. What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/
Note that most of these companies are owned by the same group so behave.

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still in archive:>>1342727
>>
Reposting from last thread

So how difficult would it be to get a teaching gig as a non native English speaker? I'm certified native-level though. I also have a college degree and 4 years of experience working in an English speaking company.

My plan would be to arrive on a one year working holiday visa and search for a job while I'm there.

Is it possible? Anybody has any experiences to share?

Also, I'm planning on getting to N2, maybe N1 by the time I'm moving there (late 2019)
>>
>>1346736
>Non native English teacher
Basically impossible. Find the rare gig where people want your native language or give up
>>
>got the JET interview
How do I not royally fuck it up?
>>
What are some tips for a first timer going to japan in a few months? I don't know the language at all and am wondering if i would be able to use public transport efficiently

Thinking of 1 and a half weeks in Osaka and Tokyo then a few more days going around Onomichi.

Any advice and help? Budget is around 3000-4000 pounds but i can go over that if i need to
>>
>>1346771
Get a data plan or portable wifi. When it comes to navigating via public transport, Google Maps does a great job. You should be able to navigate pretty easily as pretty much all signs in stations are also in English. Learn some basic etiquette rules, off the top of my head:
>keep your phone on silent on the train
>when boarding a train, stand to the side of the doors till people get out
>when exiting a train, go out through middle of door
>don't talk on the phone or listen to music out loud on train
>escalators, stand on left and walk on right (Osaka is switched, so stand on right)
>don't pass food directly from chopstick to chopstick and don't keep chopsticks stuck standing up in your rice/food
>learn some basic phrases

Take cash with you, because Japan is still 99% a cash society. You can fairly easily withdraw more directly from ATMs if need be

That's all I can think of
>>
>>1346773
Thanks anon, do japanese ATMs work with english debit/credit cards? or should i just stock up on cash completely and hope i don't lose it?
>>
>>1346775
I don't know about English, but they do with American. I have Visa. Here's a list of cards that work at 7-11 ATMs

https://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html

Speaking of public transportation, it might behoove you to get a reloadable card. The Icoca (Osaka's card) works everywhere in Japan except bumfuck rural towns, as does the Suica (Tokyo). You can load them at machines at every station and it makes travel a little more hassle-free, as you can just type your card instead of having to pay the exact amount and having to hold onto the ticket stub for the destination you're going
>>
tap* your card
>>
>>1346777
Thanks a lot anon this is all really helpful!
>>
FELLAS
In two days I'll be going for a month in Japan a bit all over the country actually; what are some recommendations you could give me considering I'm basically going in blind and will decide on what to do day to day (yes I'm beyond retarded)

Also my country doesn't have a winter, so I'm kind of anxious to see how rough it gets up north!

As someone flying solo will I deal with a month of crushing loneliness or are some people super friendly in some areas?

I got a ton of other questions but... idk I think I've already bombarded you guys with enough of them, cheers in advance maties

PS: where can I get the best cheeseburger in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto?
>>
>>1346783
cheeseburger? you mean cheesecake

anyway, people are super friendly (some fake, some genuinely friendly), but super reserved. the moment i messed up a sukiyaki was the first moment someone started talking to me, so you can always pull the lost stranger card if you need human interaction.

japanese whisky is good, beer is fine, sake is sake, so i would just hit up the closest pub-like places, people are more open where the alcohol is flowing.

at hostels and guesthouses was where i was able to talk to the most people, really.

out and about... casual chat isn't really done as far as i saw. even when i asked some girl to watch my bag while i went for a wee -- i did with my eyes and not in any verbal way (and then she also went to the restroom leaving her bag with me after i got back to my seat lol)

the good thing about you not planning anything is that you might genuinely need help finding places of interest, and that seems like a totally accepted topic to talk about with strangers.
>>
Reposting from last thread:

Hey Anons,

Looking to go to Kyoto and Osaka from the 25th of Jan to the 2nd of Feb.

My initial plan was to land in Osaka on the 25th, directly go on the train to Kyoto till the 30th, take the train back on the 30th and then spend 31st, 1st and then the morning of the 2nd in Osaka before flying back.

Does this make sense? Should I do one more day in Osaka?

Also, I found out there would be the Wakakusa Yamayaki festival in Nara on the 28th, so should I stay in Osaka until then to experience that festival?
>>
I want to spend some time working in Japan and living there after I graduate with my B.A. (International Relations/Global Studies). As far as I'm aware the only real way to make this happen is going to be teaching English, which I'm pretty fine with. My university offers a 4 week CELTA course (8 hours a day so I'll have to do it during the summer since I'll have other classes, also means I might need to rent an apartment during that time since I probably won't be able to live in campus housing during the summer), so I'll most likely get my CELTA certification during the summer.

From there I'm going to try to get into the JET program, and if that fails I'll try to find other English teaching work. I'm also planning on spending a semester studying abroad while at uni (required for my major), which I'll probably spend in Japan. And naturally, I'll be taking Japanese courses (required to have at least 2 semesters of the language of the country you study abroad in), and in the mean time I'm studying Japanese grammar and vocab on my own using Tae Kim's guide and Anki.

I've seen a lot of people say that it's really hard to get into JET, which is why I'm thinking about getting my CELTA to try and give me some leverage there. Also learning Japanese should help me out, too. Anyways, is this a decent plan, or is there something else that I'm better off doing to get work in Japan?
>>
I'm leaving for Japan in a week from the us. I'm staying in roppongi.
How to increase my odds with the local women and where do i go? I'm a pretty good looking guy but dont know any nipponese.
>>
>>1346993
>local women
>without speaking Japanese
Tough luck pal, but if they speak English, and you're white and not autistic you're golden
>>
Hello, let me first state I am not really into Japan but will have to go there on business (banking) for a while. What with regards to culture, should I look out for? I already know that I will be treated fake and politely. That I should not expect shit with regards to any emotional connection and that jap girls are easy for a white wealthy person. Any more absolute social advice?
>>
>>1346996
i've been learning with duolingo app.. any other recommendations for crash course?
I just booked the trip yesterday
>>
>>1347010
Along the lines of your other "absolute" facts, Japanese girls have sideway pussies, dog is eaten normally at lunch, and do not say "Charlie" out loud
>>
>>1347010
A few hard social facts I can think of: never ever bow and shake hand at the same time, like seriously people will laugh
Don't be too loud
People may say yes but later refuse cause that's their weird fucking form of politeness

idk much else mate, prepare to expect a shock when seeing how they run their business, most western businessmen I know were fucking appalled upon going there
>>
>>1347024
Yes, one of the reasons I am there is to revitalise part of the business and bring lessons from experience. Much of it is focused on internet banking. I do not know why they gave a non-japanese speaker this opportunity, but I will be having an interpreter. Just making sure I get some of the major hidden social faux pas out of the way.

>>1347022
Most of these insights are overly generalised, but came from people very experienced with japanese culture. Cry more.
>>
Does anyone have experience with Delta's skymiles system?

I have 68k miles and I'm trying to book a flight from east coast NA, but whenever I check for flights, the lowest I can find is 70k. Is there just a hard limit set for particular flights, or do I have a chance to get this at below 70k?
>>
>>1347018
Duolingo is fine for getting started/cramming, but if you're serious about continued study you should take the time to setup Anki and get a textbook
>>
>>1347040
They base the minimum off the airport you book from with, you may want to try a few different airports see what you can get.
>>
I've got a 10 hour layover at Narita before flying up to Sapporo. Going to Tokyo at the end of the trip so no need to go there initially, what's some cool shit to do in Narita city?
>>
>>1347083
>what's some cool shit to do in Narita city?
Honestly, not much you'd unironically. If anything I'd go to chiba, they have a statue of liberty there, some cool monorail stuffs, and some neat parks
>>
I got a question that is sort of /o/ related but thought would be answered here. has anyone been to the big used car parts stores owned by autobacs and the other big parts chains? I got a few guys in our car club that are willing to pay good money for some high end brands that are more common there, and some that never got released here like the Bride racing seats that came in fancy colorways.
>>
>American
>apply to two dozen eikaiwa and the like (not JET)
>get a few interviews but get rejected from them all
>concede that I'm shit anyways and get a better job in another state

>friend studied in Japan for a year while tutoring kids in English, has bachelors in Japanese
>his fiance has a bachelors in English education and masters in literature
>they both apply to JET, obviously qualified
>both rejected

Teaching in Japan was a meme.
>>
>>1347093
>bachelors in Japanese
>masters in literature
If it isn't STEM you may as well be uneducated. No wonder you were rejected.
>>
>>1346687
Going to do a travel course in Japan for 12 days this semester. The class is minimal work and we hit many major attractions in Nagoya, Kyoto, and Tokyo. I am 19 and want to go to bars as it's legal, but I've never been to a bar before. Any general etiquette tips for Jap bars?
>>
>>1347100
> I am 19 and want to go to bars as it's legal, but I've never been to a bar before. Any general etiquette tips for Jap bars?

Drinking age is 20 my dude, not 19 doubt anyone will card you or ask for ID if you look white. It depends on the bar, some a quiet some are filled with business men wanting to meet you, others with girls wanting to say hello and be friendly. Usually just order one beer to start and get a feel for if it is loud or quiet
>>
>>1347098
*I* have a STEM degree, hence a better job elsewhere.
>>
>>1347093
JET doesn't hire people based off their Japanese language capability. They're looking for people who will represent them well enough and who won't back out at the first sign of something different. Maybe your friend and his fiance are shitty people? Who knows, but just keep in mind the acceptance rate for JET is quite low. Just keep trying and you'll strike one day.
>>
>>1347102
JET isn't a meme just there are TONS of people who apply, and TONS who get rejected for various reasons. For all we know is they weren't willing to live in X, they had applicants they could pay less to, or they focused on the wrong things during the interview process.
>>
>>1347101
>Drinking age is 20 my dude, not 19 doubt anyone will card you or ask for ID if you look white

I'm white 5'7'' and look 16. I just want to go to little bars, not clubs. I'm very close to 20. Do you think they'll just see the 1998, and say okay? Where I live they card everywhere, every little restaurant.
>>
>>1347103
>Who knows, but just keep in mind the acceptance rate for JET is quite low.

This exactly, it's like people who apply for a job once don't get the company sucking their dick to come on over and bend to their will, then complain the economy sucks. There are other programs outside jet, and other contracts that are out there for teaching.

>>1347105
I can't say for sure, I know the drinking age was basically non inforced at ANY bar I was at for foreigners but again the legal age is 20. At lawsons or the like you just hit the screen saying "I am 20" and no one will bat an eye. drinking laws are VERY loose in japan
>>
>>1347106
Thanks anon.
>>
>>1347105
You're terrible at telling the ages of other races and Japanese people are equally terrible. You'll never be carded unless you're obviously intoxicated and even if you are its not a crime for trying, you simply go somewhere else
>>
>>1346687
Is the Chinatown in Yokohama worth it?
>>
>>1347113
You can get equally good Chinese food in Ikebukuro, but you'll be surrounded by titty bars, hostess bars, etc. If you're taking a date its worth it to go to Yokohama for authentic Chinese food, if you don't mind one of the seediest parts of Tokyo you can just get it by going out the right exit at the station.
>>
>>1347103
I know it's not about Japanese ability, but having first-hand knowledge of the culture would be an asset to the government program. I know I personally had no chance at JET so I didn't bother.

>>1347104
I don't know what they put for their preferred locations (Osaka), but sure. They were not offered an interview, so this is entirely off their applications. Over-qualification, particularly his fiance, is the only thing I can think of. Of course there are odds, but obviously many applicants are just weebs like me.
>>
>>1347093
Having met my fair share of JET folks here in Japan it seems more like a cultrural exchange program and a way to get college student of good pedigree universities to come to japan, get sold on japanese culture ans when they return to their home country and become future leaders intheir respective careers, maybe just maybe they vie japan favorably and some sort of benefit arises
>>
>>1347085
You can order online from croooober for Up Garage branches, but they won't ship certain parts because of the size. They generally use surface mail or FedEx. I hear Autobacs is bullshit and not worth it, but when I visit Tokyo I just want to see what it's like.
>>
>>1347123
thanks for that. if you get a chance, and they let you without you getting shit for it, could you take some pics or a video of it? dude loves his Bride seats, which are awesome, but small for my fat ass.
>>
>>1346687
What are some good things in Tokyo that aren't in:
-Shinjuku
-Harajuku
-Shibuya
-Asakusa
-Obaida
-Taito
>>
>>1347127
The fuck is Obaida
>>
>>1347130
Odaiba
>>
>>1347127
Yanaka
Nippori
Kagurazaka
Meguro
Gotokuji
>>
>>1347101
If you're white, they won't be able to tell how old you are. We all look like we're old as fuck to them.
I've literally never been carded in East Asia.
>>
>>1347141
I was 17 and purchased alcohol in japan, im willing to bet this guys gonna be fine
>>
So I'll be moving to Japan for few years.

Anything I should know?
>>
>>1347169
you get one free pass for one free train grope per year

Just go pick it up after January 6th at your local city office
>>
>>1346783
How much is your budget for 1 month in japan excluding flight tickets?
>>
>>1347181
I doubt that's true. Pls give real advice.
>>
>>1347185
yeah don't drink saltwater

what kind of advice do you expect with a vague statement such as "I'll be moving to Japan for a few years"?
>>
>>1347188
You know, general advice about living in Japan.
>>
>>1347189
idk...get a Suica? But maybe not because maybe your work/school/??? will give you a commuter pass? or a car?

You can find an apartment with a share house...unless you're a student? Or maybe your work helps you find an apartment?

See, it's quite difficult to give specific advice if I don't have any information to work with.

Are you gonna work there? Study? Marry a Japanese? Do you know the language? etc.
>>
>>1347191
I won't live in an area where Suica can be used. Besides, I already have a Pasmo from my previous living in Japan.

I'll be studying, I do know the language.
>>
Will 200 bong dollars be enough for a month here, after rent?
>>
>>1347199
Every single IC card can be used everywhere IC cards are used in Japan for the past 5 years.
>>
>>1347270
Right, right, forgot about the cards' 相互性. That'll make things easier for me.
>>
>>1347100
>>1347101
>>1347105
I'm a brown guy and was 18 when I first visited Japan. I was literally never carded when getting into clubs or bars. In fact, I even told the bartenders at a bar I frequented that I was 18 and we all just laughed it off, and I showed up again the next night with no problems.

The only time I was ever asked for ID was when I tried purchasing a bottle of Corona from a Don Quijote.
>>
>>1347040
70k skymiles is the lowest you will find a round trip Delta flight from anywhere in the US to Tokyo. You can buy 2,000 skymiles for $70 USD.
>>
>>1347259
fuck no.
>>
What can I do in Ooarai?
>>
>>1346736
All places will say they require native English or 12 years of education in English. But I know people that have gotten hired at Interac who had neither of those. As long as your English is actually good you have a chance. They hire tons of Filipinos with horrible English so if you are better than them you are good I think.

>>1347105
Bars and izakayas and shit will basically never card you. Clubs will absolutely card you though. I've had multiple friends who just went with another white person's ID who was the same sex as them and as all white people look same they got in no problem. Not sure you have access to anything like that, but there are ways in.
>>
>>1347423
>Ooarai
Isn't that what they say when backing up heavy machinery?
>>
>>1347428
I got carded every single time when I was 19 at the clubs.

This never prevented me from being served in the club. The only single time I was ever turned down was a club that was notorious for denying foreigners because military assholes kept getting into fights there.
>>
Going on a solo trip at the beginning of March for about 9 days. Been to Japan before (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe), and trying to hit up places I haven't been to yet or done.

How many days would you guys recommend for Hokkaido and anything I definitely need to check out? And what ryokans would you guys recommend in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, or wherever.
>>
TL:DR
>First time overseas, going to Japan
>Someone has planned out the trip for me
>Skiing
>General moving around, Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo the whole shebang
>Australian, never been in snow before
>Know the language very vaguely

Questions:
Will these clothes generally keep me warm in Japan's Winter: Down jacket, hoodie, thermals, snow boots, sneakers, shirts, scarf, gloves, warm socks? I don't have pants yet, can anyone recommend me a good pair? What do I sleep in as pajamas? Is the indoor heating good there?

General Onsen rules? I've tried looking them up but they seem to vary. I'm mostly confused about the washing yourself with a bucket bit. Do you dunk the water in the bucket over your head? Will there be a towel or something for me to wash with?

How far can $1000 AUD get me? In regards to souvenirs and such, train passes, general items that I'll need there. I won't be paying hotel accommodation.

General politeness tips? I've read through here and got the don't be loud on trains and food etiquette, but can someone explain in greater detail?

Since I'm going to more than one place, would it be worth it to invest in a train pass?

Also is >>1346773
right about the wifi thing? Is there no free wifi there or something? I assumed there would be.

Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>1347578
Onsen. Depends on where you go. In some places theyll just have a large wine bucket style one that you just pour water over yourself a few times. Others will have a stool that you clean yourself fully at. Youll have a towl with you for drying. Put it on your head

Indoor heatings fine. I slept nude just fine. Get a proper down jacket, not some kathmandu pos. Dont go overboard unless your going north

$1000? I managed to travel for two weeks for $2000 excluding flights, that was paying for half my hotels, send half was paid already. I cut it too close, i had 4000 or something when i left. This was with a jr pass and not being too humble.

Exactly that shut up on the train. Dont eat in public.

Get a jr pass.

Wifi is free everywhere. Some hotels wont have it tho.

My advice, relax
>>
>>1347583
>Proper down jacket
>Not from Kathmandu
Ugh, shit. That's exactly where mine is from. Where else would you get one from and what's the issue? Not warm enough? I assumed that if I layered correctly it would do the job just fine.

Don't eat in public? You mean like in a park or some shit? Do they think it's gross?

As for the train issue, are you allowed to listen to music so long as it isn't coming out from your headphones? I.e. Listening to it on a quiet volume. Thanks for your advice already, it's been really helpful.
>>
File: 1513293439811.png (107 KB, 341x334)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
Can anyone look over these plans and tell me what they think?

>Friend and I are planning a trip for June, 14 days. Google says expect lots of rain in June, but I love rainy weather (live in the desert).
>I'm expecting to have a 3000$ budget for the trip, just based on stuff I've been reading.
>We will most likely both purchase 13 day JR passes
>We're both out of shape, so I've started getting more regular exercise in anticipation of walking around Tokyo for hours.
>I don't know any Japanese, and my friend thinks we should start going over basic phrases so we can at least order food and ask for help.
>I want to stay in a hotel. A hostel sounds quaint but I'm very loud and messy with my things.

>We want to explore Tokyo and try lots of different food
>I personally want to see a Shinto shrine and experience some outdoorsy activities
>I'm REALLY not fond of seafood and I have a shellfish allergy, so I need to watch out for anything that might have shellfish mixed in

Beyond that I'm still looking up things to do, but I wouldn't mind just going in blind and figuring things out as we go.
>>
>>1347594
Make a proper plan.
>>
do i need to make a plan and schedule on where to go and what to do in japan? will be visiting in june for a week with my 2 friends.

what i usually do is just list down places i wanna go and decide when im already on the country.
>>
>>1347604
Make a proper plan.
>>
Are there any places at the Narita airport to buy pocket wifi?
>>
>>1347586
Kathmandu is "ok" but i think their jackets suck in comparison to some of the other stuff you can get.

Dont eat while walking like we would, even if you buy buns at a station its bad taste to eat them while waiting. On that note you can eat on the bullet trains.

Yes, quiet music. Dont be some dickheat with a bluetooth speaker.

Watch this series for help https://youtube.com/watch?v=bDL8yu34fz0
>>
>>1347594
I see no plans
>>
>>1347618
Plan is to show up with a bunch of money and walk around like a dumbass for a few days until i get an idea of what else to do
>>
>>1347619
That sounds like a terrible plan, at least have some idea where your gonna be
>>
>>1347619
Pretty retarded plan. Right now you might be enamored with the idea of just walking around because you think all of Japan is "le comfy", but in reality it's not all that thrilling.
>>
>>1347085
Didn't get to hit an upgarage myself, but a word of caution: not all of them are car parts. The nearest one to me right now (Osaka) is a motorcycle parts store exclusively.
>>1347423
Visit the GuP store, explore the town and hunt for all the characters, hit the aquarium, if it's summer hit the beach
>>
Thinking of going to Japan for a couple weeks later this year, it would be my first time.
Would be spending the first days in Tokyo then move via train from city to city every couple days.
An estimated expense of $100 per day should be a decent guess, right? Including everything but flight and train.
Is hotel the best idea for lodging for first timers?
>>
What's up losers. The dream is coming true.

I've never been to Japan before but I've longed to live there.

I've been offered an English teaching job in Sendai. However, a school with better pay in Nagano is interested in me, too.

Part of my dream was/is to live in a 'cyberpunk' utopia (I know, oxymoron) that I can take lots of great pictures in. Tokyo, Osaka, etc. However, these places are difficult to find jobs in outside of the country, so I've settled on working elsewhere.

What I really want to know is how 'urban' / built up is Nagano vs Sendai? Will I still feel like I'm in a sort of futuristic city in Nagano? If not, I still find the snow/mountains super beautiful and wouldn't mind living there either way.

Ultimately - how does the quality of life differ between a medium-sized city like Sendai and a smaller one like Nagano?
>>
>>1347699
You are the first loser of the list
>>
>>1347636
I saw that on a youtube video last night. dude found some crazy deals on some stuff the rest was crap. reminds me of a big pawnshop mixed with a thrift shop.
>>
>>1347645
$100 a day may not cover your lodging expenses. Unless you go for cheaper hostels, and especially in Tokyo.
>>
>>1347768
What if I just wanted to sleep in the gutter?
>>
>>1347780
I spent about $30 a day on hostels and they honestly were great for the price. As long as you don't go to expensive restaurants $100 a day is easy.
>>
>>1347768
>>1347780
>>1347795
$100 a day is very possible if we are talking USD.

I stayed in airbnbs with the whole apartment in decent/good locations in tokyo for $40-55 a night and you can EASILY get by with $50 for travel/food for each day.
>>
>>1347103
I heard being very attractive typically lands you wealthier neighborhoods for teaching.
>>
how much money will I need for a 9 day trip? I plan on eating out at a nice place at least once a day, and want to check out popup shops/buy clothing.

also will most likely be buying the rail pass because I plan on going to Kyoto and Osaka

thx
>>
>>1347935
Read the thread
>>
Do you have to have good calligraphy to be an assistant language teacher in Japan? Due to a movement disorder I have this faint tremor in my hand that makes my writing look kind of scratchy/childish. On top of that my character spacing is off sometimes (making letters too big/small or not straight on a line).
>>
File: DSC00080.jpg (2.24 MB, 4032x2272)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
So in June I'll have 4 or 5 days to kill while my friends explore cities I'm mostly worn out on (Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Tokyo). Any suggestions on cool places to look up that I should go in that time before we rendezvous back in Kyoto? I'll have a JR Pass. I'm mostly interested in going to the east side starting at Kanazawa or to the north, the area between Tokyo and Hokkaido.
>>
For Shibuya, what's the easiest route to take if I went to see these 5 things:
Meiji Shrine
Sailor Moon store
Hikarie
Shibuya Crossing
Yoyogoi Park

I'm also staying in Shinjuku, so I want to close my night by going to Tokyo Metropolian Government. Thoughts?
>>
>>1348138
maps.google.com
>>
>>1348148
I don't trust it. Go on the walk route and it says "unknown roads"
>>
>>1348149
>He thinks Japanese streets have names
lol
>>
Whoops. Am Japan noob.
>>
File: IMG_20180113_200523062.jpg (3.56 MB, 4160x3120)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
Anyone in Tokyo right now? I have a bit of a weak schedule for today and would love to meet up with someone who knows more hidden gems. To be honest I want to find where the gaijin hunters are at. I live in Hawaii so I want to use that to try to get them interested.
>>
File: IMG_20180115_132346.jpg (2.19 MB, 4048x3036)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
Whoever recommended Bills here, you an alright guy. Though I feel a little lost being one of the few guys here.
>>
Is it possible to get visas for manual labor jobs? Specifically welding?
>>
File: maid-cafe.jpg (87 KB, 642x418)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1346687
What is a maid cafe like my lads? Are they worth visiting?
>>
I hesitated on booking a flight for february last week, and now all future flights I see are +$600, all flights from now til the end of the year. I fucked up, do flights ever get cheaper closer to their departure dates?
>>
>>1348399

It's really random

If there are a lot of unsold seats left, they might get cheaper closer to departure date, but you probably will only be able to get good deals for the summer, fall, or winter
>>
>>1348399
Do you live in the middle of Amazon jungle or in Alaska or where? the total ticket costs from pretty much any inhabited place is around $600-800 or lower, the price could not double in one day.
>>
How many days would you guys recommend that I stay in Sapporo/Hokkaido area?

Was going to try to do Osaka/Kyoto, Tokyo, and Hokkaido, but thinking it over, I don't think 8 days would be enough.
>>
>>1348399

Lolno.
>>
Hey /trv/,

I'm going on a honeymoon/vacation from mid June through early July. Okinawa and Fuji are my two big ticket items. Looking for things to do that aren't beach focused for Okinawa (Something for me while my wife has a spa day). Also looking for tips on opening day and climbing Mt Fuji. Heard there was an opening day festival but no clue where it actually is or how to get to the trail head.
>>
what's the best area to stay for a solo traveller in tokyo? I'm not into clubbing, I booked 2 hotels with the same price, one near shinjuku station and one near shibuya station, also do you recommend other zones?
>>
>>1348414

If you want to check out the fish market early in the morning, then I would recommend staying in Ginza.
>>
this thread always gives me cancer
>>
>>1347259
a guy uploaded a video about living in Japan with 670 dollars or so for a week, and it was really tight
>>
>>1348399
i bought my ticket for february 7th at $756 and that was way back in march 2017
>>
Should I eat the snacks from a love hotel?

I mean theyre just sitting there...
>>
>>1348149
>Too dumb to look at the map and check the route
>Super lazy and wants others to plan out his walking route in one of the most walkable cities in the world to a bunch of random ass locations

Stay home, traveling is too hard for you
>>
can you eat at shabu shabu or sukiyaki alone? or is it a place stricly for friends/families? I didn't find any shabu shabu on tabelog with the "alone" tag
>>
File: 1514705133181.png (80 KB, 478x583)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>1348392
Interested in this too.
>>
>>1348708
Go for it, dude. Even if people stare, fuck em. Food is meant to be eaten so it don't matter if you're alone or with 10 other people.

That said, portions may be done with groups/multiple people in mind, so you may just have a lot of meat/food to eat by yourself
>>
>>1348708
>Oh MY GOD, look at that guy, he is conusming food, alone. What a loser. He clearly looks like a tourist but can you believe it anyway?
>>
>>1348718
>>1348721
I'm not concerned about what other people think, I just don't want to pay double or to take the metro only to be refused the entrance because I'm alone
>>
>>1348723
>only to be refused the entrance because I'm alone
That's a thing?
>>
>>1348724
Where I live (Italy) you never see people eating alone in nice restaurants, especially at dinner. That's because you pay for one, but occupy a table for two, that's lost money for the restaurant.
>>
>>1347594
Those are questions and worries, not a plan.
>>I personally want to see a Shinto shrine
Literally can't walk 100 meters without seeing 1 or 2 in urban areas. And half of the tourist hotspots will be major shrines
>>
>>1348727
Where I live (Germany) you can actually ask other people to sit with them on their table. What the fuck is your problem, all autistic in Italy?
>>
>>1348730
Food is a social event in Italy, you just don't share it with random people, that's bad manners here
>>
>>1348392
Depends, at the most as a "I did this quirky thing in Japan" maybe. I'm glad I did it once but it feels like you're not getting full use from it as a foreigner if you don't speak the language well enough, like doing Karaoke with the madis, getting sweet words from them you understand, or like a lonely guy I saw there did, bring in his portable DVD-player to watch idol-concerts with a maid. But as a group thing with people who understand the concept it can be a interesting experience
>>
>>1348727
Wait so in Italy they will actually refuse you service if you're alone when you eat?
>>
>>1346687
Should I aim for a hostel when I go to Tokio for 2 1/2 weeks and wanna meet some people that I can go to a bar? Any recommendations that are cheap but too shabby?
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (72 KB, 852x480)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1348742
Nah, it's just an american sperglord meme from people that live in areas with only chain restaurants. Somehow I feel that New Yorkers would not have this issue. And if somebody has this issue, they should just go to a cheap hole-in-the-wall eatery where the proletariat eats.

How long shall this meme go on btw?
>>
>>1348747
Google GRID in tokyo, A+ hostel
>>
>>1348742
>>1348749
If you go to tourist traps they will gladly serve you even if you are alone; in some fancy restaurants however they will politely ask you to attend at another time with more people, this applies only if the restaurants is going to have a busy evening. Of course if there are not many people they will accept you.
>>
File: DTjl4VyX4AAEMwr.jpg (255 KB, 1400x1120)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>1346687
I'm contemplating bicycling through Japan, I work for a major international hotel chain and I can stay at any of their hotels for virtually nothing. Any recommendations on a route? I was thinking of starting in Tokyo, riding North, then looping South and ending in Hiroshima after stopping off in Osaka for a few days. Is it even worth it to go North or would I be better served just bouncing around the South?
>>
>>1346687
Hello /trv/, I have some questions
Me and my gf want to visit japan during some festival were it is acceptable to use traditional clothing, kimonos and yukatas (is that correct?)
What are some dates where we can do this and is it ok if foreigners dress like that during those ocasions?
Thanks in advance
>>
>>1349143
They don't care if you were a kimono. Idk when festivals are but I pretty sure a yukata is a summer kimono so I'm guessing they have a couple in the summer
>>
>>1346687
Ok, can i use jr pass to ride narita express? And can I activate jr pass in narita airport?
>>
>>1349143
During any of the firework shows, which are crowded around the end of July and the beginning of August
>>
File: bignig.png (5 KB, 246x205)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
If going to live in japan, is it easy to find to other people who are not natives?

Also, how easy is it to be a entrepreneur if not a native?

Is there a large culture difference between U.S and Japan?

and how do people in Japan react to foreigners? Tourists? Immigrants?
>>
>>1346687
Anyone know what its like for an English tourist visiting Japan regarding the language barrier
>>
>>1349264
Why aren't you going for a vacation first?
>>
>>1349266
Just some things I wanted to know, no actual plans on living there.
>>
File: beatos prime.jpg (131 KB, 645x507)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>direct flight to tokyo
1000+€
>1-2 stops
540€

I've never been to an airpot before. How much can I fuck up?
>>
>>1349273
probably nothing, you will mainly be bored since there isnt much to do at most airports but otherwise you will be fine
>>
>>1349273
Get there an hour early because tsa can suck
>>
>>1349285
>>1349281
I can get a flight for 443€ with one stopp in Shanghai. To Japan is 4 hours break and on the way back home it's 7 hours. Is that worth it?
>>
>>1349286
Gee I dunno, is your time worth 50 euro an hour?
>>
>>1349293
Am I not going to be ko by the time I get to my hotel? I might be raped on the way there because I'm so sleep deprived.
>>
>>1349273
Nowadays a 12 year old can navigate most airports
>>
Hey, should i stay in airbnb which is in shibuya, or hotel in ginza? im interested going to grab beer every night or so and maybe hit club once.

tldr:
airbnb in better location, cheaper but a little worse room
hotel better room , but not that great location.

there is also hotel near shibuya but it costs about 200-300 more than airbnb , but room is better

where should i stay?
>>
>>1349295
This desu. Just look up the airports you'll be flying through to get an idea of how the arrival/departure/connection process works, which airlines operate from which terminals, and how to get from A to B and you'll be fine. For example, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that flying United to Chicago, then ANA to Tokyo, does not involve a terminal change. Same for AA/JAL.
>>
>>1349302
Ginza is nothing but high end stores and Chinese tourists. There are some decently priced bars interspersed with all the overly expensive stuff, but Shibuya is a much much better place to go out at night
>>
this is not really a question about prostitution, but does anybody know about a maid cafe in akihabara where you drink milk directly from maids' breasts?
>>
File: 1323601392293.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1349329
>>
>>1349330
apparently it's some maid cafe in a basement but you can't find it if you are not with an abitual costumer
>>
>>1349374
If such a thing exists, I doubt they let baka gaijin in.
>>
>>1349378
oh they'll let me
>>
>>1349329
That sounds like a dream come true for me, I've been there twice but didn't really look for such a thing because I didn't think it could exist.
>>
where are the clubs at? where is it recommended to dance and drink
>>
>>1349403
well if that's your thing you could go to Milky Baby, they cater specifically to this fetish and they are gaijin friendly, also it's not cheap
>>
>>1349446
Try Japan, there's good clubs and restaurants and bars there
>>
>tfw you want to go to japan but based on threads like these it seems too intimidating and difficult to do so, so you content yourself with rewatching lost in translation and makoto shinkai anime set in tokyo for the tenth time
>>
>>1349570
it's not difficult at all, there are lots of things you need to remember but none of them is difficult, wanna come with me?
>>
>>1349576
I don't speak Japanese at all, so I'd feel horrifically awkward and insecure. I tried learning it but I'm so shit at languages I can't even learn French.
>>
>>1349576
Not him but I can’t Japanese at all and I’ll be in Tokyo from 9th to 26th April.
>>
>>1349578
>>1349579
you don't need languages to have a nice time in japan, everything really important, like directions or how to take the trains will be in english; pointing and nodding will get you far
>>
>>1346773
>Take cash with you, because Japan is still 99% a cash society. You can fairly easily withdraw more directly from ATM's if need be

Stupidly bought a cup of tea in a cafe when I had no cash. Their card machine didn't work, so I had to ask the poor waiter to walk to the nearest ATM. By the time we got there the waiter realised he left my card in the machine. Probably took 20 minutes in total just to pay for a cup of tea. kek
>>
I heard my ec card charges about 5€ every time I use an ATM. Do I need a credit card for Japan?
>>
anyone going to be in japan this/next month who wants to grab a drink or baka?
>>
Two questions: why do the Chinese always roll those stupid fucking suitcases around, and what's the japanese equivalent of tinder?
>>
>>1349598
>chinese
<in japan thread
anyways they use tinder too
>>
>>1349609
Are there gaijin hunters that don’t mind the language barrier that are easy lays?
>>
>>1349612
i have no idea i just heard they use tinder
>>
>>1349588
that happens to you pretty much in any foreign country so yes get a credit card, be aware that not all japanese atms accept them
>>
>>1349609
Everywhere I went i saw paddies of Chinese tourists and they were all wheeling their suitcases around, didn't know if there was an explanation for it
>>
what's the best way to get from Narita airport to Shinjuku with 2 large suitcases?
>>
>>1349651
Limousine bus. N'EX works too, but I'd hate having to deal with 2 large suitcases on stairs/escalators by myself in the station.
>>
>>1347428
>They hire tons of Filipinos with horrible English so if you are better than them you are good I think.
>tfw Filipino

first choice is AEON but leaning towards Interac but I hear the process is really hard. I have a problem finding any decisive application process videos.
>>
>>1349626
Credit cards are terrible for cash advance, you mean debit card. The schwab debit card will pay international atm fees
>>
Are ryokans any good for solo travellers or are they more aimed at couples?
>>
>>1349742
Some have solo traveler plans.
>>
>>1349742
Well, if you mean Onsen Ryokan in the basic form of a room and the public bath I'd say it's for groups of the same sex. Couples can't go into the public bath together usually unless it's shared, but don't think anyone would like that too much. Rooms with private baths are crazy expensive (Think we payed around 50 000k for one night in the middle of nowhere on the Izu peninsula, but with traditional dinner and breakfast in a. private room) Unless chillaxing alone or with others in the public bath is your thing, not as romantic as having it in your room but it works.
>>
I'm currently considering the option of flying from Osaka to Tokyo. I will be going from Tokyo to Kyoto on one of the night buses, but decided that for the trip back I rather not sit 8+ hours in a bus.
So far some airlines (like vanilla airlines) are selling tickets for like 5500 yen or something like that, wich is considerably close to what the bus costs. Is there a catch to taking the airplane over the bus? As is, will they charge me for a ton of extra stuff that they don't announce right away?
>>
>>1349864
Take the shinkansen
>>
>>1349635
They are hauling home electrical appliances and makeup around to take home.
The ground floor of LAOX is like suitcases so that they can know their stuff will fit or something
>>
>>1349867

But 'm gonna be poor as shit by the time I go back to tokyo.
>>
>>1349867
After factoring train costs to get to KIX or ITM, you're probably pretty close to breaking even on price.
>>
August and September would be the best months for me to travel this year, but hearing the summer horror stories is making me worried.

I don't mind rainy days at all, I've been to Japan a couple of times before so I've had plenty of opportunity to explore on clear days and see what I want to see.
Also, I'm from Florida so I'm very used to high heat and high humidity, but that doesn't mean I enjoy walking around in it all day.

I'm just curious how the heat in Florida compares to the heat in Japan during August and September.
>>
Japanese locals, if I want to come visit in Autumn and see sights like pic related, when is the best time? October is out (due to that being my super busy time as my job), but would it look this beautiful in September or should I wait until November?
>>
If I just rock up will I get a teaching job? Straya fag with a working holiday visa here...
>>
>>1350037
The fuck is rock up? Does that mean punching a kangaroo?
>>
Is anyone in Tokyo from 9th to 26th April? I wanna get drunk with at least one of you.
>>
>>1346687
I recently went to Ueno zoo, the Panda were so cute!
https://youtu.be/UjLlM7xIHFI
>>
>>1346687
I recently went to Ueno zoo, the Panda were so cute!
https://youtu.be/UjLlM7xIHFI
>>
>>1350041
"If I just rock up" = If I just arrive
>>
>>1346770
Hopefully you went to a college with name recognition
>>
>>1347699

Have fun working in shitholes
>>
>>1346771
My advice is if you get lost in tokyo find the yamanote line (yamamote? I forgot the names)
Since that line is a circle of all the major districts you will pretty much always end up back where you are staying,provided you are somewhere like shinjuku.
>>
>>1350153
This is bad advice

Just remember where you live, so long as its near a subway station (which has far more stops in popular locations than the JR line). Nearly all stations can be be gotten to with a single transfer, just trace back. If you can't figure it out then just take a map to the station attendant
>>
>>1346771
Getting lost with google maps?
>>
any tips on how to get to aokigahara from tokyo
>>
>>1350269
Depends. You planning on coming back?
>>
File: IMG_4050.jpg (356 KB, 1600x1067)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
Need some advice. Planning on doing a solo travel to Japan in the next year or so before the Olympics, I'm East Coast USA and so far I've found ticket+hotel bundles for roughly $1800 round trip + 6 night stay in Tokyo at a Western hotel chain in November.

Are there other times you think I could get a better deal or should I consider swapping out a hotel for something else? I'm not at all picky about when I travel.

So far my plans are to be there roughly 5-6 days and:
1. visit UFO Everyday in Saitama
2. walk around Ikebukuro/Otome Road for them weeb dreams
3. visit a bunch of UFO arcades
4. maybe visit Tokyo Disney / Disney Sea
5. discount shop for Jfashion in Shinjuku
6. Akihabara for Don Quijote and Mandarake

I really don't have any set plans for sight seeing since most of what I want to do is buy merch, clothing, and visit arcades. I'm a bit of a UFO catcher junkie so UFO Everyday is my main purpose of going.
>>
>>1350281
Forgot to add if anyone has suggestions for arcades to check out or anything worth seeing in the areas in general, let me know!
I'm also a big foodie so street food spots and restaurants are great too.
>>
Is Disney Sea worth it?
>>
File: IMG_1666.jpg (3.79 MB, 4000x3000)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
>>1349968
Depends on where in the country you're going to.
November is definetly good for it. My pic is from late november '16 in Osaka, returned november '17 but they had had a typhoon earlier in the months so a lot of leaves had fallen compared to the year before
>>
>>1350325
I'd probably be staying in Tokyo, maybe Akihabara. But I'd want to take a day trip out to a rural area to see the beautiful sights like these.
>>
kinda clueless with flights here.

>flight from canada to usa
>layover in usa for 45 minutes
>usa to japan

am I allowed to leave the airport on the layover? or at least leave the departing area to meet someone?
>>
>>1350357
If you had more time, maybe. But 45 minutes isn't much time to leave the airport.
>>
>>1350272
Yea i just wanted to see logan paul and mountain fuji. Anyways how do i get there? :D
>>
>>1350357
45 minutes is not enough time, just stay in the airport
>>
>>1350359
>>1350370
ok ,thank you
>>
What is the best place to stay in a hotel in Tokyo? (not money-wise) just the best location for transport, food and things to do as a solo traveller.
And what about Kyoto? (I won't be staying in a ryokan or hostel)
>>
>>1350281
November is kind of expensive, February is much cheaper. Also try to book separately so you can have more say in getting the cheapest flight and choosing the cheapest hotel (or Airbnb).

Ask again about the other stuff closer to the trip, still a bit far out to be planning day by day.
>>
>>1350281
I payed 2000€ for air tickets (direct from italy) + 7 nights in Tokyo and 5 nights in Kyoto in central hotels + JR pass + insurance + pocket wi-fi...and I'm going in cherry blossom season. I think 1800 USD fore a 7 day trip is way too much, try to book things separately
>>
>>1350412
Just use hostelworld, most all will tell you how close they are to a subway, rental bike place, or other thing. Read the reviews and you'll do fine.
>>
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 403x249)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>1350418
>>1350424
Thanks for the replies! Here's the cheapest flight range I can find for the end of February as an example. So yes, it definitely looks like booking a room separately will save me money in the end.

I noticed on AirBnB most places include free pocket wifi so that would be fantastic as well. Is there any issues with AirBnB in Japan? I know some places have been cracking down on it.
>>
Are there goshiwon set ups in Japan? I'm not that into hostels but these are fantastic. All I've been able to find are capsules.
>>
Anyone ever stayed at ARTnSHELTER? I'm thinking it looks like it would be full of hipster douchebags (my people). Plus $695 for a private room for 10 nights seems decent, but I get the feeling I could find a cheaper hotel.
>>
>>1350439
Or just stay in a normal hostel for like half that, should be able to get a hostel for like 200 USD for 10 days
>>
>>1350444
Yeah. but I'm awkward around strangers and I was looking to ideally have my own room.
>>
Ok, this place looks like it will be AMAZING.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/the-millennials-shibuya-shibuya-ku.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNYBHIFdXNfaWyIAQGYATHCAQp3aW5kb3dzIDEwyAEP2AEB6AEB-AECkgIBeagCAw;sid=a9071f94f06ec863320b4aa22a04386e;atlas_src=sr_iw_title;checkin=2018-09-11;checkout=2018-09-20;dist=0;group_adults=1;group_children=0;nflt=pri%3D1%3B;no_rooms=1;room1=A;sb_price_type=total;srepoch=1516322298;srpvid=bdde02b6c0070067;type=total&
>>
>>1350434
if you'll save a lot of money go for airbnb, just keep in mind that the person who gives you the key is only available on certain hous of the day, that most likely you won't be able to leave your luggae after checking out and that you cannot really use the (excellent) suitcase delivery service; for the first time in Japan I would go to hotel, just because they can take care of almost anything for you.
Also, holy hell, why do planes cost so much in the US? I payed 600 euro for mine and there were other options with connecting flights fore even less!
>>
>>1350454
>app controlled room
>projector screen curtain
>full size suitcase storage
>sofa mode for extra space

I'm liking it already but I hope the security is good since all you have is a pull-down screen and a shelf under the bed.
>>
>>1350445
>I'm thinking it looks like it would be full of hipster douchebags (my people)
>Yeah. but I'm awkward around strangers
Does not compute, hey it's your money but you could easily be saving a lot of cash to do other things.
>>
>>1350459
Yeah. Like I'm hoping the space under the bed can be locked up somehow. But otherwise, this place looks pretty decent. Plus isn't Shibuya like, close to everything?
>>
>>1350456
>Also, holy hell, why do planes cost so much in the US?

He probably wasn't flying from a major airport, and with with a US airline or didn't select options for layovers. Right now if I fly out of LAX in march, april, or first part of may it's like sub 500 bucks round trip. Even in August I got all my stuff for around 600 bucks.

>>1350465
> Plus isn't Shibuya like, close to everything?
Not really outside the main hub of Tokyo
>>
>>1350467
Ah. But still, with trains and stuff it should be fairly easy to get around. When I went to Boston last summer, our hostel was on the outskirts of the city, but because my buddy didn't want to figure out how to navigate the train system we ended up walking a lot of places or taking Ubers.

I mean, I'm fine with trains. I'm from Chicago. Trains are convenient as all get out. Plus, being a 6'2" 300lb gaijin, odds are folks will give me space.
>>
File: toofar.png (90 KB, 875x217)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>1350465
https://www.city-cost.com/blogs/City-Cost/GQrZw-living_food_kyoto

Found a review for the one in Kyoto so I'd imagine they operate the same.

>>1350456
I'm East Coast so to get to Japan I have to fly over the entire USA. It's a distance thing.

>>1350467
The flight estimate I posted was through Air Canada from the closest major international airport in my state and included two layovers per flight in Canada. The one on the way there included a 10 hour layover. Good thing I've never seen Canada.
>>
>>1350471
Very nice. Looks like I found my accommodations when I go to Tokyo in the fall.
>>
>>1350471
>I'm East Coast so to get to Japan I have to fly over the entire USA. It's a distance thing.
You can make it easier by finding a cheap flight to nearly any major international gateway city, and buying a cheaper flight from there to Japan. In my experience, LAX especially is deal central. Just make sure to leave plenty of time between separate ticket flights so delays don't fuck you in the ass.
>>
>>1350293

I've been asking around and there are always 2 answers: "go, it's totally worth it, you're gonna love it" and "it fucking sucks, a waste of time and I wish I hadn't gone". So in the end it comes down to how much you like sea stuff. If you're not really sure just go to one of the aquariums on Osaka (I think they have the best ones iirc)
>>
>>1348402
Not that guy but all the ticket prices I've been looking at go from 1200-1800 USD. I live in the Southwest US.
>>
I posted this in another thread but no responses so far.

I'm Asian-Canadian (Chinese), and I want to teach in Japan. What are my chances? I got the degree, a native-speaker, etc. Anyone here an Asian English teacher in Asia? Do you face discrimination?
>>
>>1350577
Most major eikaiwas will be open to it, most smaller places and a lot of schools will openly discriminate against you. English teaching already really isn't a career path but you'll find it very hard to move away to anything even slightly better.
>>
>>1350584
That's unfortunate to be honest - just gotta accept the reality of the situation though.
>>
>>1350445

Smaller business hotels can run anywhere from 50-60 CAD a night depending on how long you stay. I went with Sotetsu Fresa in Tokyo, and its 37,000JPY for seven nights. I wanted my own room and my own fucking shower, so the price was worth it.

Would have gone Airbnb, but I don't want to deal with the host stuff, and the price difference was negligible for my budget.
>>
Does Tokyo National Museum have any WW2 stuff? or do I need to add Yukashin Shrine to my to visit list.
>>
>>1350412
depends on what you want to do. Most hostels and gueshouses are in the Asakusa/Taito Area. Generally it's a nice area, very old and traditional and the Yamanote Line starts at Ueno but it is pretty far away from other hubs such as Shinjuku and Shibuya so if you're looking for a night out, getting home can be a bit of a pain in the ass.

I'm personally a fan of the North-Eastern part inside the Yamanote Loop, some pretty nice and old arrow alleys and generally just feels comfy.

In Kyoto, I would recommend staying near the river, at around the height of the Gion district.
>>
How do you get Japanese people to hang out with you at a bar or wherever when you don’t speak Japanese? I wanna try being more social when I get there.
>>
>>1349273
be sure to wash your hands alot, airports are dirty ass places.
>>
File: sapporo.jpg (1000 KB, 2716x1810)
1000 KB
1000 KB JPG
I live in Kansai but I'm thinking of visiting Hokkaido for a few days. Unfortunately everything is booked or insanely expensive, so I'm thinking of replanning everything and staying in internet cafes in Sapporo and making day trips.

I've only really stayed in internet cafes in Tokyo since there's so many it's almost impossible not to find one without any vacancies. Does anyone know if the same is true for Sapporo? There looks like a decent amount but I don't want to be stuck without anywhere to sleep for 5 days.
>>
>>1350663
there are some airbnb bar tours , you basically go with strangers and the host in different bars/clubs. it costs around 30-100$ depends which one you want
>>
>>1348407
Eat all the spam you can.
>>
>>1349264
Haven't lived in Japan, but I'll be doing business there soon for about a year. My experience is that in a foreign place, if you don't speak Japanese, you'll gravitate towards people who speak your language. I make easy friends in Narita because people see I'm white, and assume I speak English.

This is fine for my purposes, but if you want the true local experience, limit your non-native friends; if you're goal is to make those, why even come to Japan.

Entrepreneur - native first. Unless you bring something to the table the Japanese can't, you won't be allowed.

Culture difference - massive.

Foreigners - a blip in the radar. Small towns, you're a local celebrity. No such thing as immigrant, you can spend years there and they'll still think your a tourist.
>>
>>1350690
And when my hotel isn’t from Airbnb?
>>
>>1350471
East to West doesn't matter, they fly you over the arctic. You might save an hour or two from Cali
>>
>>1350697
what, its not hotel airbnb offers shit like photography courses/guides etc too lol
>>
>>1350690
Will they help me hit on girls?
>>
>>1350704
idk i never been in one, but its better than going alone i guess.
>>
>>1350510
A few friends actually told me to look into flying to LAX and from there to Japan. I just worried about the exact issue you mentioned though, with trying to juggle two separate ticket flights without getting fucked over. If the amount of money I'm saving is pretty big though I'm sure I could manage.
>>
>>1350120
I did, was probably 70% of the reason I got in
>>
>>1350663
Learn Japanese
>>
>>1350663
Do this >>1350777
>>
What's a comfy city to stay in Japan? Not too crowded but has enough options when it comes to necessities and a bit of luxury
>>
>>1350807
Stay home and just live in your thoughts and anime you pathetic fag.
>>
>>1350807
Why care when you won't get a visa?
>>
>>1350663
Don't go to busy or loud or big bars. Try jazz bars or little bars playing rock music from a radio. The only people who will talk to you with this method are drunk middle aged salary men though
>>
>>1350663
Fun fact: nobody wants to talk to you.
>>
>>1350628
They don't, you'll need to go to Yushukan
>>
>>1350709
It's less dangerous if you don't have to fly through New York or Atlanta (Atlanta's weather issues are primarily in fall and winter though). Chicago, DC, Houston, and Dallas all tend to be safer for departing/connecting flights to get to LAX. Pad in 4-5 hours between your arrival in LA and your departure and you're fine unless weather causes everything to go tits up like the winter storm did. You'll be bored for 2 hours waiting to check bags since international bag checking doesn't open until 3 hours before departure, but that's better than missing the flight.
>>
Any recommendations for hostels in Osaka or are they all about the same?
>>
>>1350663
How often do you go out of your way to have a conversation with people that don't speak your native language?
>>
So alt is superior to Eki? Is visiting Japan in July/August suicide? This is where my schedule allows me to go to Japan, but feel like the oppressive weather will stop my enjoyment of alot of things.
>>
>>1351061
The fuck is alt? Why are you comparing it to a train station
>>
>>1351061
>oppresive weather
It's not that bad if you're not from Canada, Northern US, or Europe. They're a vocal minority, but I've been all over the pacific and it's really not that bad, or hot.
>>
>>1351040
I'm an anti social faglord in a 20k town.
>>
Recommended bars and clubs in Roppongi?
>>
>>1351116
Just walk around and some nice people will tell you where there's cheap or even free drinks. Go in and have a blast!
>>
>>1351122
What? When I walk around people will come to me and tell me in English wthat I should go to X? I don't believe you.
>>
>>1351124
It was a joke. Roppongi has an infamous trick where "nice" people will take you to a bar, and after one drink force you to an ATM and make you pay for a ridiculously expensive drink. Pretty much strongarm robbery.

So yeah, they do that. There's the reason though.
>>
>>1351116
Any without Nigerians out the front
>>
>>1346687
>Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
Does this mean that if I speak some japanese I'll be fine?
>>
>>1351160
No, it doesn't. Especially considering people usually overestimate their abilities and thus your "some Japanese" most likely means you know few words from anime.
>>
>>1351162
I'm N4 level, actully. I get it's still not enought, i'm planning a trip on japan for my graduation, too bad.
>>
>>1351160
No one wants a half japanese baby. They are shunned.
>>
>>1351165
Sorry, N4 strikes me as not much. Especially considering JLPT's levels are in no way related to speaking ability.

There are always some soaplands that cater to foreigners, so you could do those.
>>
>>1351168
well too bad, I'll try luck with bar-whores looking for BWC then. Are they still a thing?
>>
anyone in tokyo in february
>>
>>1346736
I know I can't prove it and since it's the internet you may take it with a grain of salt, but I have a Brazilian friend who's working as an English teacher in Japan and is dating a japanese woman.

I have heard she's kinda weird, though.
>>
>>1350281
6 days is a lot to spend in Tokyo. The rest of the country has so much to offer
>>
>>1351165
>I'm N4 level
Lol
>>
>>1351367
I'm open to suggestions. I'm just not someone who goes abroad to hang out in bars or hook up with locals.
I don't mind traveling outside of Tokyo but most of what I want to do is near Tokyo so I don't want to just stay in that area for 1-2 days and leave to another part of Japan for the rest of the trip.
>>
I'm going to Japan in mid-March to visit a friend living in Nagoya. I'll be landing in Tokyo, then from there it's Tokyo > Shizuoka Prefecture > his place > Kyoto. Two weeks, $4000 budget. Anything in particular along those stops anyone would recommend visiting?
>>
>>1351380
You would have to base it around what trains go where, but you could probably fit all of your stops into three-four days with other general sightseeing included (major neighborhoods, museums, basically stuff you find in the travel books that seems to be up your alley and can be worked into your destinations). You could take the shinkanesen to kyoto or osaka and spend a day or two there, Kyoto is just fantastic to visit and was such a highlight for me that I'm making sure I spend time there whenever I return. I guess a good analogy would be like saying if you went to America or Britain and you only stayed in NYC or London the whole time.
>>
I want to do a loop, starting and ending in Tokyo, including Kyoto, Osaka and Sapporo, spread over two weeks. Regarding transport:

>Arrive in Toyko
>Shinkansen, Tokyo to Kyoto
>Shinkansen, Kyoto to Osaka
>Osaka to Sapporo somehow?
>Domestic flight, Sapporo to Tokyo
>Stuff my baggage allowance with weebshit in Tokyo before flying home

What's the best way to get from Osaka to Sapporo? Direct flight is obviously quickest and easiest. Shinkansen back to Tokyo then up? Anywhere worth stopping on the way?
>>
>>1351401
>kyoto or osaka
I'd love to drop by Osaka. I've heard it's worth it to go for just the food alone.
>>
>>1349273
Dont wear lotion, i put some on bc hands were dry after skiing and got a free patdown
>>
>>1351418
If that's the case I recommend it you head there to get the flavor of a different kind of city, plus taking the shinkansen is a fun experience to try at least once.
>>
>>1351166
that's false. your head is full of nonsensical garbage such as Elliot Rodger memes. stop browsing /pol/.
>>
>>1351166
and what does having babies have to do with recreational nonreproductive sex?
any way you look at it, your response is completely worthless.
>>
File: pondering.jpg (29 KB, 640x519)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1350356
what's the benefit of constructing a roof with curves like that? how did they even figure out how to build roofs like that? i feel like white people could never figure out how to build something like this no matter what tools or hints you gave to them
>>
>>1347010
drop dead, Schlomo
>>
>>1347024
>expect a shock when seeing how they run their business, most western businessmen I know were fucking appalled upon going there
you can't just type shit like this without explaining what you mean. come back and explain, you irredeemable cunt.
>>
>>1351414
For 2 weeks I'd say skip Sapporo altogether,but if you do do it then go by plane. That said, I took the trip from Kyoto to Sapporo by rail in the winter and the scenery was often beautiful. But that's like your entire day on a train if you do that. I had more than two weeks so I stopped at Senda to see the Fox Village and I took a night in Hakodate.
>>
Does this route seem okay, tokyo -> kanazawa ->takayama/shirakawago -> kyoto -> tokyo. Im going for 12 days, first time trip and its kind of last minute so I figured Id try to go visit somewhere snowy in between my time at tokyo and kyoto.
>>
>phone broke down in japan
what do i do now, I'm still supposed to be in japan for 6 months so i need a phone, and i don't want a shitty prepaid phone.
>>
>>1351557
>Phone broke, what should I do?
Buy a phone
>>
>>1351581
where, aren't most phones for 2year subscription?
>>
>>1351502
Thanks. I want to see Sapporo for the snow festival, I love the winter aesthetic and eating hot food in cold climates so it would be a shame to visit Japan in February and not see it.

I think I might spend the seven hours getting from Osaka to Hakodate by shinkansen, spend a night there, and then go from Hakodate to Sapporo the following morning. It'd be nice to go up Mount Hakodate in the evening.
>>
So how is Japan in August?
>>
>>1351648
I hope you like dry heat.
>>
>>1351650
Well, in the internet you can read how unberable August is. But I'm now interested in some first hand experience from people here from /trv/, because in my last two Japan trips in December/January a lot of those things are quite bullshitty.
>>
>>1351650
>dry
I went in the beginning of october and it was humid as heck. Is there a dry season after the early summer rains?
>>
>>1351583
what the fuck u mean? you can just buy phones without subscriptions lol
>>
>>1351659
hey is tokyo good in january/feb , im planning to go there but i dont know for how long is 10 days too long to spend in that city?
>>
>>1351667
>10 days
>in the biggest city on Earth
Gee, you can probably spend a month there and still not be bored.
>>
>>1351667
You can easily spend 10 days in Tokyo, especially if you also include Yokohama and Chiba.
>>
>>1351671
>>1351668
kk ty, do you think airbnb for 11 days in non-scuffed apartament with good bath/air conditioner n shit for 700€ is good? theres hotels too but theyre kinda in shit locations and this is in shibuya centre
>>
>>1351659
Can't speak for all of Japan, but dry heat man was memeing. In Osaka you'll see 100 degree (F), 97% humidity days daily. So humid that you can hang your clothes outside for a week and they still won't dry
>>
Is
>Grids Tokyo Akihabara Hotel&Hostel
alright when I pick the cheapest room, i.e. caspsule room? Can I still store my stuff properly? Has anyone been there?
>>
>>1351688
Makes me wonder how I would handle that humid heat as fit Middle European.
>>
>>1351686
bump
>>
>>1351686
You can get something cheaper.

Paid like 360euro for 7 nights for an apartment in Yoyogi which is between Shibuya and Shinjuku.

I wouldn't say it's worth paying so much more for an apartment in Shibuya
>>
>>1351737
i know theres ok- tier apartament but it looks meh and its 500€ for 11 days
>>
>>1351743
You are just sleeping there.

So I don't see a reason to invest more than necessary to get past some standards.
>>
Is there much to do in Kyoto apart from historical sightseeing?
>>
>>1351755
Yes, Go eating and drinking in Pontochou and try to get a seat outside by the river in summer, just walking down the river is nice too, you might see a fun character or too and people playing music. Although it's kinda polluted by drunk westerners the times I've been at night.
Visit Yamazaki distillery, well I don't know where you draw the distinction "historic sightseeing" A lot of things are old there. The monkey park and bamboo grove in Arashiyama are nice (and a good place to head after visiting Yamazaki).
There's the international manga museum for example. The philosophers path between temples is nice too.
>>
holy fuck apparently theres taco bell in shibuya, i will go there every day - eu fag
>>
my trip, late march/early april:
6 full days in Tokyo (with a one day visit to kamakura and enoshima)
5 full days in Kyoto (with 2 one-day visits to Nara/Osaka and Hiroshima/Miyajima)
1 more day in Tokyo for the flight

should I change something? maybe add another location? I'm also interested in Kanazawa + Takayama but that would require at least one night in Kanazawa. Also, is 3 days enough to visit Kyoto?
>>
Anyone been to Nara?
>>
>>1351699
It's good you can leave your stuff behind the counter or in the room. Really cool bar down in the common area, it has camera's in all the halls and to get in you need a key card, it's really safe.

Booking again when I go feel free to ask anything.
>>
>>1347423
If you aren't a lard ass (no offense if you are), I highly recommend getting a bicycle and riding everywhere you want to go in oarai.
The town is very flat, only a few sections that had much hill at all (even then just walk the bike up the hill if you need).
The AirBnB I stayed at had free bikes and bike locks to use. Got a night in a full big house for $50 aussie dollarydoos.
I especially highly recommend riding out to the aquarium, it's a very nice ride.
Speaking of aquarium, if you are going soon try and make sure it's actually open. I was in oarai at the start of December and the aquarium was undergoing renovations, a worker still took me inside to get the final stamp on my stamp rally though so that was cool.

I would also say that you should try and go on a weekend. I went on a weekday and a decent amount of the shops with the character stands were shut. Including the shops with darjeeling and Yukari (aka best girls), fortunately the shop owners of both must noticed me out front and actually brought the stands and stamps out.

Then of course the oarai resort shops area from the show. Its also doing renovation but the biggest GuP shop is still open.
The marine tower was also quite cool, when I went I was the only person on the observation level and on one side I could see bright blue sky and the other a storm coming in, that looked very cool. Make sure you visit a Lawson, they are filled with GuP stuff that was both hilarious (ly bad) and great.

Sorry for turning ideas/advice into a personal account of everything I did but hopefully it's semi helpful

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.