[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: IMG_0119.jpg (50 KB, 338x450)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Each place is like the last. Someone must speak English. Everyone kinda wears the same thing. It's the internet. We are all kinda the same. What are your thoughts? It's kinda true at least 30 years ago the world was a different place imagine traveling than with no internet.
>>
>>1361760
Yes, absolutely. Soon everywhere will be one big brown melting pot with no identity, just a soulless corporate wasteland, every big city looks the same, everyone will be the same boring shade of brown, brown skin, brown hair, brown eyes.

Those who preach diversity will receive the opposite
>>
This reeks of Chinese student trying to get anons to answer his topic question
>>
>>1361760
No, it's made it better, cheaper, and more accessible. Some of your privilaged ass westerners really disgust me some times.

>why can't we go back to the days when half the world was under constant threat of famine

seriously, fuck you
>>
>>1361760
It allows accessablity for most people to most places. This obviously has an affect on the place and the people.
>>
File: 1511041752864.png (38 KB, 275x512)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>1361803
This so much fuck OP it's actually easier to travel you want different go to any country and stay outside the city
>>
File: 20170925_220939.jpg (604 KB, 3264x1836)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>1361760
Well there really aren't any heart of darkness like experiences out there anymore. Everytime I try to travel into the deep unknownable, forbidden darkness, I always end up at a sunny cafe on the other side. I've struggled, suffered, and returned, and I don't feel like I've changed much at all. Sure I've seen some exotic things, some interesting art, strange cultural oddities, but in the end the people I walk by on the street, the shopkeepers, the waiters, the police officers are the same. They all desire the same things. I among them. I had a dream when I was an adolescent of an untaimed, unfettered adventure. External experiences interalized into a personal journey to adulthood. A vast, epic, beyond anything I'd ever known. I thought that when I came back from my dream, when I had finally awoken, it would be like a metamorphisis. The new me would see the world from a higher plane, from a new, greater understanding. But I'm still me, and I'm still here, looking out from the same window, into the same horizon.
>>
>>1361803
There's just as much famine and disease now as there was 50 years ago.
>>
I was lucky enough to go to Mayotte when I was a kid, a small island near Madagascar, and let me you that it is still possible to go to places where people barely speak English and things are pretty different than in your average Western country.
Of course, globalization and technological progress has changed the face of the world and you will see people with smartphones and Nikeā„¢ shoes there. These things are everywhere anyway, except maybe in the most remote areas of the world.
But is it really a bad thing? The prospect of dying from scurvy on a ship going from The Hague to Indonesia in the 17th-century doesn't seem that appealing to me, and in any case, we will never be able to experience this, life has no rewind button.
If you think the internet has really ruined traveling, try going to a foreign country with no laptop or smartphone, it's bound to be an interesting experience.
>>
>>1361875
that is absolutely not true at all.
>>
>>1361760
travellers are a major force that contributes to this because they go everywhere around the world and expect the same comforts, someone speaking english etc.

globalization has definitely advanced significantly in the last decades but anyone who claims that cultural differences have disappeared because now you can drink coca cola everywhere has clearly only scratched the surface while travelling. values and lifestyles are still wildly different around the world and cultures will remain distinct even as globalization increases. old things will disappear but new ones will rise in their place, human differences are not so easy to even out as it may seem. This >>1361797 is absolutely not what we're going to see.
>>
File: panama_relief.jpg (214 KB, 1426x668)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>1362058
I agree that presently world cultures are fundamentally different, which is a good thing for humanity and for open-minded travellers in particular. But I think as communications technology progresses and worldwide infrastructure improves, we risk an increasing sameness as communities are forced to adapt to the global capitalist order (barring any revolutionary disruptions to that order).

Pic quasi related
>>
I mean if you want to go and watch people who are barely even affected by globalization, I guess you can find a few tribes, but, at least to me, that stuff isn't even that interesting compared to many other things that you can go and see.

When you're travelling and don't know the local language, you'll automatically end up speaking the most with people who know English and those people are probably a part of the most westernized segment of the population. Sure, most people have smartphones and there's visibility of western brands even in smaller places in Africa, but the mindset of those average people will often be extremely different from that of your own.

I've lived and gone to school for a while in Eastern Europe, coming from Western Europe, and the people who spoke English were very westernized and wanted to escape the country, but even they had some totally different values from those of my own, even though they on the surface embraced western culture and values. I imagine that I'd have experienced such differences 10-fold if I'd gone to school in Indonesia or Ghana.

However, as a tourist I think you need to engage with the history of the country and maybe the social and political situation, because that will allow you to start noticing more differences and unique traits. You've got to be curious. All countries are affected by globalization, but how is this exact country affected?

Also, if you only go to SEA or generally just stay on the tourist trail where ever you are, of course you're going to find that people there are accomodating to the demands of western backpackers and other tourists. You can go hiking somewhere in Central Asia, you can visit some obscure town in Sudan, go to some of the lesser known places in Myanmar or a hell lot of other places, and I'm sure you'll experience something vastly different than you're used to.
>>
>>1361834
>>1361834
You could easily find some heart of the darkness places, but you're probably not even willing to go there, because you'd die. You can just hike through the Garien Dap or something like that. I'd also consider places like the Central African Republic, Somalia, Afghanistan, etc. essentially hear of the darkness material, although it's not exactly savages in a jungle.
>>
>>1363310
The heart of darkness is the deepest and most terrible part of the mind which we all hold, the ability to exploit and torture others for our express benefit. Conrad thought that our yearning to discover the physical heart of darkness is actually an unconcious attempt to recognize and reconcile it in ourselves. What I'm saying is that that has become impossible for the normal tourist since there is no more abject horror in travel. You are not allowed, or even able, to see the worst parts of a country. They are hidden from you, obscured by the tourist boards and other organizations who look at you like some sort of cash machine always ready to put out. But the truth of modern exploitation is difficult to accept. The reason we can' see it is because we have become the exploiters. We use the suffering and poverty of others as a sort of revitalizing elixir. A vampiric act, using the local people to juxtapose our jaded, upper-class selves, so we can reconnect with strife. So we can go back home after seeing starving children and desecrated ruins, thinking to ourselves "injustice still exists", as if injustice could ever cease. And it is not a true form of injustice either, it is even more sinister. A staged event of grief prevades these "heart of darkness" locales. You're supposed to feel bad, the cambodian government wants you to, paradoxically, for the criminals that they pardoned. No, the true heart of darkness can only be seen in the worst, most glitsy and disgusting tourist operations. Vile and gross places like Bangkok or Havana, which have become completley subservient to their selfie-stick overlords. We have become kurtz.
>>
>>1361875
You're fucking stupid, in China alone the reduction in poverty has been almost miraculous
>>
>>1363409
Fuck
>>
>>1363441
>I know about China therefore I will extrapolate these facts for every other country
>And I will swear and insult people because I don't know how to have a conversation
>>
File: gdn.jpg (555 KB, 900x1981)
555 KB
555 KB JPG
>>1361760
Yes.
>>
>>1361803
>>1361809
It's not just about wealth. I've got nothing against anyone who wants a better material existence, healthcare or opportunities. It's kinda underwhelming when you travel 3 continents and the find the same little trends everywhere.

The significance of the internet on local tradition and subcultures shouldn't be underestimated, but you just have to accept it. Travel is easier and more affordable than ever, and globalisation is the main reason for that.

>>1361834
This is true to a degree, but it's not that recent (last 2 decades or so). A family member went round the word in the 70s and said the same thing, society's are essentially the same because people are. But even if there's more homogeneity now but there's still plenty to discover.

>>1363409
This may be true for some but it's a stretch. People travel in different ways, for different reasons.
>>
>>1361834
Join the military, go to war. Or go be an NGO in some real shithole. Peace Corps, or something. Hell, independently recreate Heart of Darkness in the Congo. I am sure you will come out changed, if you come out alive.
>>
File: 1518628263396.jpg (152 KB, 1024x728)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>ywn go to Japan and see everybody wearing kimonos
>ywn travel from France to Germany and see wildly different foods, customs, fashion, attitudes and art.
>ywn go to China and see hundred of Eunuchs and people bowing to a the Emperor when he passes by
>ywn visit a real monarchy
>ywn visit a pagan nation
>ywn visit a nation that is neither atheist or monolithic
>ywn witness traditions normalfag western imperialists would consider barbaric
>ywn see a gladiator death match
>ywn go to a country where marrying 8 year olds is normal practice
>ywn witness human sacrifice to the gods
>ywn see regular animal sacrifice to the gods
>ywn discover a moderately civilized country/city state completely disconnected from the rest of the world
>ywn witness a war between two large nations
>ywn randomly encounter a great wonder without already knowing of its existence and seeing thousands of pictures of it
>ywn be in awe as you encounter someone with frizzy hair
>ywn inspire awe in locals who have never seen blonde hair
>ywn go to a city where people don't wear suits and ties.
>ywn find a moderately advanced nation where people don't wear jeans
>ywn visit a Japan that doesn't celebrate Christmas or Holloween
>soon ywn visit a nation that doesn't celebrate Christmas
>ywn see true martial arts designed to kill being practiced
>ywn see thousands of different martial art styles from Europe to Asia

Everything is turning to shit and there is nothing we can do to stop it. People here are saying that there are still lots of cultural difference if you just look deeper but thats not true. Thats only a remnant of the past soon to fade away. The deep parts of culture you explored are mere shadows of their former selves and will soon be eroded. As communication technology increases there will be less and less opportunity for new cultures and radically unique philosophies to arise. Every nation with functioning school system teacher their students English. The early 1900's was the pinnacle.
>>
>>1363409
Go to Southern Thailand, south of Phuket, close to Malaysia, go to the heart of Africa, people are bitching about places they aren't willing to go.
>>
>>1363574
In the early 1900s you assume you would have the time and resources to travel and see these things.
>>
>>1363576
I don't assume that at all. You assume I am looking at this from a personal perspective. I am not. Besides you could have been born in Africa today which would also limit your travels a lot. I do not see what your point is.
It is an objective fact that there is less cultural diversity in the world than there used to be and it will continue this way until everything is the same shit different language.
>>
File: watpng.png (360 KB, 1366x768)
360 KB
360 KB PNG
>>1363574
>>ywn inspire awe in locals who have never seen blonde hair

I am black. I inspired awe in rural Thais in a small village in Sakon Nakhon, who had never seen a black person in real life for.

At the same time, google maps has driven their car around the village, to the point it has StreetView.
>>
>>1363577
So what is your point that peak travel was in the 1900s, when almost no one was traveling?
>>
File: charoen.png (1.44 MB, 1366x768)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
>>1363578 >>1363578
>At the same time, google maps has driven their car around the village, to the point it has StreetView.
>>
>>1363583
>almost no one was traveling
Almost no one is currently traveling. Most people on earth currently will never leave their country. Even Americans don't leave their country. 64% of Americans have never left the states and most of them that do only visit places like Cancoon for a week.

My point and the topic of this thread is globalization is ruining travel experiences. So I personally believe peak travel would be in the early 1900's late 1800s. The same way peak 4chan was before millions of newfags came here to shit up boards.
>>
>>1363583
>>1363594
Just to clarify, are you implying more accessibility = better? Because i have a million examples of the opposite being the case.
>>
>>1363583
> peak travel was in the 1900s
Seems like a nice middle point between the Age of Discovery in which you had everything to explore but an extremely high chance of dying before even seeing land and right now which is the opposite.
>>
>>1361803
Nothing about what you said disproves OP's point. It's not like we can't discuss the downsides of globalization just because there are also obvious upsides.
>>
>>1363520
That pic is so stupid. As if people from all over the world will massively immigrate to Sub-Saharan Africa or China anytime soon. Or, for that matter, as if cultures even in the most 'multicultural' countries still can't be very distinct.
>>
>>1363574
Jesus christ, most of these statements are fucking retarded.
>>ywn go to Japan and see everybody wearing kimonos
traditional clothing is still common in a vast amount of countries around the world
>>ywn visit a real monarchy
>what is Swaziland
>what is Oman
>what is Saudi Arabia
>what is Qatar
>what is Brunei
>what are the UAE
>>ywn visit a nation that is neither atheist or monolithic
Not sure if I get what "monolithic" means but most regions around the world are neither of both: Latin America, Africa, Central Asia... Even the US is fairly religious for European standards.
>>ywn witness traditions normalfag western imperialists would consider barbaric
depending on the definition of "barbaric" a huge amount of such traditions can be found across the world and they probably won't suddenly vanish
>>ywn visit a pagan nation
>>ywn see a gladiator death match
>>ywn witness human sacrifice to the gods
>>ywn see regular animal sacrifice to the gods
Those things largely disappeared before "globalization" was even a thing.
>>ywn discover a moderately civilized country/city state completely disconnected from the rest of the world
This one's pretty ironic, cause with "civilized" you probably have some Western model in mind.
>>ywn go to a country where marrying 8 year olds is normal practice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage#Child_marriage_by_region
>>ywn witness a war between two large nations
Why do you think so? Also, why the fuck would you want to witness that?
>>ywn randomly encounter a great wonder without already knowing of its existence and seeing thousands of pictures of it
Surely you can randomly discover beautiful or interesting things in any country without ever having heard of them before. I don't see how you think globalization might change that.
>>soon ywn visit a nation that doesn't celebrate Christmas
Earlier you suggested the entire world is turning atheist, now you suggest it's turning christian?
Comment too long but point made I guess
>>
>>1361760

More or less, yeah. It's way better in the sense that you have amazing opportunities to explore other cultures, but because those amazing opportunities are available to everyone in all countries (more or less), cultures naturally dilute because of trade and cultural appropriation. So it's better because you can get there easier, but you'll never in your life walk into another country like a norseman walking into tunisia/rome. That "I am almost literally in an alien world right now" just can't happen nowadays unless you find some shitty bush tribe, and even then, they'll talk to you about Nikes.
>>
>>1361760
>>1363644
>>1363574
The things is, the areas you are talking about weren't tourist areas then. They were just foreign areas. In the same way, these things exist still today, but not in tourist areas. Go to some rural Isaan, or Laos village, of the tourist track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXGkpwMm8ac See an actual local market, where instead of trinkets they are selling insects, and rats. Attend a rural Rocket Festival. China is huge. Go somewhere where they have never seen foreigners. There are many. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxqzD29gBF8

Go to some of the Islands in Oceania. Go to places in Central Asia. Do understand, though you will find all the things you listed. Though you will find "culture". You will find little else.
>>
>>1363596
Better as for as what. Better as a tourist/traveler. Yes.

The people that the OP and >>1363574 pine for/about wasn't traveling. It was exploring.
>>
>>1363649

The issue I think is knowledge. We know how those rural places look like, the people in them, how they operate, etc. We've all seen enough tv shows, documentaries, and all that to know what to expect. In the older days you either had no clue, or a vague notion from stories told by sailors/adventurers.
>>
>>1363685
You've got a point, but I think there will always still be a great number of specific elements (especially when it comes to mentality/non-material culture) that will be surprising and unexpected. A culture is a complex thing, you may know some superficial things about it from a docu or tv show, but they can't really make you understand it in the way you would when experiencing it first-hand.
>>
>>1361760

I spent a while in Central India in December.

Insurgency, famine, and widespread famine fused with tribal culture and bizarre, scarcity-inspired foodstuffs. I've traveled a fair amount and was still surprised to see fully naked men walking down dust-covered roads.

On the way from Bombay to Bastar, I stopped in a handful of Marathi and Chhattisgarhi towns and cities. Past Aurangabad, Western influence all-but disappeared.

Few people spoke English; most signboards and newspapers were printed in Hindi Devanagari. While men still dressed in shirts and trouser pants, women predominately took to traditional fashions -- kurta pajama, salwar kameez, saris.

I guess there were a handful of global chains in Nagpur and Raipur, but they were few and far between.

From Kondagaon south to Bastar and Sukma, I may as well have traveled to another century. Walking around Kanger Ghati -- several kilometres off from where a Maoist ambush had killed nearly 100 politicians and paramilitary forces in 2013 -- reminded me of rural tracts I've Africa I've visited. Limited electricity, patchy cell service, the risk of wandering atop a landmine.

Globalization could do the cities good; in some other senses, the advent of regional industry has wrought a great injustice to the local tribal communities.

Blogpost aside, OP, there are plenty of places you can go that won't feel like home. A lot of them might not be comfortable or easy to get to, but they're there, in countries on every continent. Have you ever been to sub-Saharan Africa, rural Asia, or Latin pueblas?

I guess you see more and more of the same influences cropping up everywhere, but I'm rarely worried that the world's at risk of losing its character.
>>
>>1361797
100% agreement, and my biggest personal motivation behind being staunchly anti-globalism.
>>
File: 1463212638621.gif (892 KB, 316x270)
892 KB
892 KB GIF
>>1361803
Not all men - and definitely not all societies - are created equal, you commie kike. Wean yourself from the teat of what the "privileged ass westerners" have created for you.
>>
>>1363738

anon says, posting on 4chan

Pros of travelling now: cheap flights, former USSR far easier to visit, I don't think as many are in a state of civil war or run by dictators. Internet, GPS, phones, offline translation

Cons: the popularity that comes with it
>>
>>1363633
>As if people from all over the world will massively immigrate to Sub-Saharan Africa or China anytime soon.
It's already happening, there are lots of Chinese and Indians companies in Sub-Saharan Africa, bringing with them their own employees and families. They even built Hindu temples there already.
>>
>>1363744
In the long run this probably won't happen. The effects on global warming will likely push everyone closer to the poles eventually.
>>
>>1363409
Fucking go to these places that the tourist orgs are trying to "hide".

>The heart of darkness is the deepest and most terrible part of the mind which we all hold, the ability to exploit and torture others for our express benefit.

Sounds like something you can experience in CAR, Somalia, etc. You're a sheltered piece of shit who would never have the courage to go there and experience "the heart of darkness".

When the fuck was it ever possible to experience something like you're describing when travelling? Sure, travelling was dangerous back in the days, but it's not like travelers would stumble upon cannibalistic murder tribes everytime they ventured into the jungle.

I hope you're baiting
>>
>>1363409
>obscured by the tourist boards

Not every country is North Korea, grow up. You can find people living in abject poverty in Bangkok by walking for 15 minutes further than most tourists go. Or hell, lean over the side of the station at Phaya Thai BTS and see the hovels underneath it. Those slums next to the temples and flash hotels are not "staged", that is just the reality of life there.
>>
>>1361803
Get off your high horse you smug fuck. Nothing OP said indicated a desire to return to greater famine and poverty. Are you what, 23 or 24 I bet? Globalization is full of pros and cons. One of the major cons is the gray-brown smudging of travel experiences because everything is tending toward the middle-age.

I think you revealed a lot more of yourself in your judgmental tirade than you called out in OP.
>>
>>1364056
You are missing the point that "travel expereinces" didn't largely exist prior to globalization
>>
>>1364133
You both make good points, I think it's quite hard to separate modern travel and globalisation.

The travel experiences pre globalisation would be incredible, very real travel. You would have to worry more about disease but it would be amazing as many places were safer than they are now. Nature would be plastic free for the most part.

While travel in today's form wouldn't exist, those privileged enough to afford it could, or they could join a colonial empire in the army or become a sailor and see the world.
>>
>>1363309
>you need to engage with the history of the country and maybe the social and political situation, because that will allow you to start noticing more differences and unique traits. You've got to be curious. All countries are affected by globalization, but how is this exact country affected?

good point.
>>
>>1363485
nah, you're wrong
1/4
>>
File: cm.jpg (95 KB, 847x592)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>1364293
2/4
>>
>>1364293
>>1364294
3/4
>>
File: Map-4.jpg (24 KB, 564x381)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>1364293
>>1364294
>>1364296
4/4
>>
>>1363638
>Those things largely disappeared before "globalization" was even a thing.
actually india is arguably a "pagan" nation (whatever that means). Hinduism to a large degree developed from the same roots as Celtic, Germanic and Greco-Roman "paganism". Animal sacrifice is also still common in India, as well as Western Africa, all Islamic countries and some Oriental Churches of christianity.
>>
>>1363690
>most signboards and newspapers were printed in Hindi Devanagari
actually, this is already a sign of globalization.
>>
>>1361760
this seems relevant:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/01/magazine/the-case-for-contamination.html
>>
>>1363574
Fuark

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.