[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: japan.jpg (17 KB, 728x425)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Traveling to Japan in two weeks for business (and some leisure) and wanted to ask any seasoned Japan travelers about manners in Japan.

Are there any mannerisms that are acceptable in the West that are considered rude in Japan? Are there any behaviors "normal" in the West that I should avoid in Japanese culture? Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>1361958

lonely planet has an excellent chapter about the Japanese and its manners.
>>
>>1361958
Japan summer Olympics of 2020!
>>
>>1361958
Don't you have to actually bow down when you're saying thank you to somebody for doing you a favor there?
>>
>>1361958
It's a business !
>>
>>1361958
Walk on the side of the street cars drive on
keep your voice down
don't get invovled in other peoples matters
>>
File: nagoya-tokyo-line.jpg (88 KB, 768x512)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1361958
Don't blow your nose, sniffle.
Slurping Ramen is a-ok.
Don't talk on the phone or have your phone ring on the train.
Japs like their lines, line up for trains and such.
When going up or down the stairs or escalators remember that left is the direction you have to keep at the right is reserved for people in a hurry.
When you're in a restaurant and nobody is coming raise up your arm or something look at them and say sumimasen and they'll come this is not rude.
Try to not sit on disabled seats on a Train/Metro/Bus
Don't throw trash randomly on the street.
Try to throw it in the right bin, plastics in plastics cans in cans etc...

Just say Arigato Gosaimasu for everything and you'll be fine and polite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCuvcTI090
>>
>>1362033
Now why is that?
>>
>>1361989
not unless it was an unusually large favor. in most situations a hinted bow that looks almost like a nod will do, and a lot of the time even that isn't necessary.
>>
>>1362036
Why is what?
>>
>>1362039
Like why is it that you can't ever talk on your phone when your on the train going to your destination there?
>>
>>1362042
The Japanese work a CRAZY amount of hours and sometimes they're napping on the train.
>>
File: マナーモード.jpg (42 KB, 345x517)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1362042
マナーモード : Mana-modo (Manners mode). Japanese translation of 'silent mode' or 'vibrate.' Is usually annonced on the speakers and there is signs everywhere.

Because thats their culture. Everyone sits down and shuts up plays games on phones or mobile consoles, reads books, newspapers etc...

Trains are crowded and you don't want this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR4EpHWWVeE

What you want is silence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ZI3oeBCUs
>>
>>1362042
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYYa_Tlc3QI

You'll hear this announcement repeated by the english verison.

Thank you for riding/using Tokyo Metro.
We ask customers, please turn off the mobile phone near the priority seat. In other places please set to the manner mode and refrain from calling. We appreciate your cooperation.
>>
>>1362051
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spXB7A5prTU

Here is the real thing in action.
>>
>>1362054
車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では車内では…
>>
>>1362054
I actually see that video there.
>>
I find that in Japan, people will hand you objects with both hands, no matter how small.

Business cards: both hands
Your change: both hands
Your receipt: both hands
Tiny bags of peanuts: both hands
Keys: both hands
>>
>>1362081
Good to know. Thanks.
>>
>>1362048
I understand now. Thanks!
>>
>>1362056
>>>>車内では車内では車内では車内では>>>>車内では車内では車内では車内では>>>>車内では車内では車内では車内では>>>>車内では車内では車内では…
In the car is in the car Inside the car In the car Inside the car Inside the car In the car In the car Inside the car Inside the car Inside the car In the car Inside the car Inside the car ... I actually had to Google Translationed that.
>>
>>1362147
Oh nice one there!
>>
>>1362042
>>>. Getting to your destination there!
>>
>>1362042

Some of this >>1362046

a lot of it I think is also because during the cell boom imagine every business man that had a cellphone out talking. If they didn't say no cellphones the train would deafening cluster
>>
Smoking on the street - Not sure if it's even legal, but try to see where other's smoke. Don't just light a cigarette anywhere.

>>1362033
>Don't talk on the phone or have your phone ring on the train.
this several times over

after noticing how quiet everyone is, I feel so bad when tourist gets on a train half screaming to each other.
>>
>>1361958
When you bow in greetings make sure there's not a huge sumo homo directly behind you. Hai, domo.
>>
>>1362033
>When going up or down the stairs or escalators remember that left is the direction you have to keep at the right is reserved for people in a hurry.

Except in Kansai where it's the opposite
>>
>>1362286
Really? I don't remember seeing it in Kyoto or Osaka... man I'll have to pay attention this year.
>>
>>1362181
That is true though pretty much when it comes down to your work placements right there.
>>
>>1362368
Nowadays it does though.
>>
>>1362286
I found that outside of Tokyo and Osaka, nobody really did this. People were just on whatever side of the escalator they felt like being on.
>>
>>1362123
>>>> I understand that now, Thanks to you there!
>>
>>1362042
Because that's rude basically everywhere in the world when you're standing a few inches from other people. Doesn't matter if you're in Japan or on a train, you don't make phone calls when people are right next to you and would be inconvenienced by moving away.

If you're say, at a gym and on a treadmill? Rude. On a bus? Rude. In a busy waiting room? Rude, barring some extraordinary emergency.
>>
>>1362478
Seems like a pretty normal thing somebody would do in the US. People do a lot worse than talk on the phone in small crowded places. Have you seen what a train or bus is like in the US?
>>
>>1362494
That doesn't change the fact the it's rude as fuck, and those worse things people do on US trains are still against the various codes of conduct for riding.
>>
>>1362503
>>> Test
>>
>>1362498
That's so true there actually so yeah.
>>
>>1362494
There are a lot of rude asshole on public transportation in the US
>>
>>1362447
Pretty much so yeah.
>>
File: 1515198847008.jpg (113 KB, 882x731)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1362478
>>1362498
Where are you from? I'm from Europe and haven't ever heard about this being rude either. Are you trolling?
>>
>>1362046
>sometimes
That's an understatement. At any given moment half the train is staring into their phones and the other half is sleeping.
The part I found most amusing is that they're legit asleep. Back home people just close their eyes and rest half-consciously against the window, but still fully aware of what's going on around them. The Japs though are completely knocked out.
>>
>>1362632
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEYiLmztQ88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6K3D9Kd4Nc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9wCVhD5Rak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt-A13B0Doc

So shit like this isn't rude?
>>
>>1362634
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YxoP68Yt7Q
>>
File: 8fb.jpg (157 KB, 1060x404)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>1362634
>OL snoozes on your shoulder for a few minutes
>>
File: 14500853006.jpg (25 KB, 249x213)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1362731
>tfw you know that feel
>>
File: 20180214_143715(1).jpg (6.17 MB, 5312x2988)
6.17 MB
6.17 MB JPG
>>1362731
Though this is how a typical Japanese brand new Honda C-RV would actually looks like right there now.
>>
>>1362758
Yeah right, I know that man.
>>
>>1362691
Now don't be stupid dude.
>loud
>comedy guy
>rudely (in the video it says she was "cursing")
>crazy
These are the keywords here. Obviously the problem is more than the fact that they're just talking to someone on the phone. These people are being loud and obnoxious. You could make a subtle phone call and no one would care in the least, anyway I don't see why they would. People don't care either when you talk to someone sitting next to you, so why would they when you do the exact same thing but via a phone call? On the other hand, if you're that obnoxious while talking to someone IRL in the train, the reaction will probably be just the same as in these videos.
>>
>>1361958
Give cum soiled handshakes
>>
>>1362051
Fuck pussy Japan
>>
>>1362038
Well when bow down whan you thank someone there your mostly showing really nice manners to them as well.
>>
>>1362772
Except that every person I've ever seen talking on the cellphone has been letting the entire car in on the conversation in order to get over the ambient noise of the train. It's one thing to have a quiet conversation with the person next to you, it's another thing entirely when everyone can hear every word you're saying over the phone. And that's not even getting in to gangsta rap blaring niggers who think they're the only ones who can hear what's playing on their headphones, and think it's fine to sing along with their shit music on the train. Yes, it's fucking rude. So shut the fuck up on the train.
>>
When resting your chopsticks don't stick them in the bowl, apparently presenting food this way is associated with funerary rites.

Don't eat while walking, even if it's street food.

You're not expected to tip, even if you do you'll likely be chased and have your money returned.
>>
>>1362887
So then that means even if you'd give them a tip they'll most likely come chasing after you to give the extra tip's back to you there, correct?
>>
>>1361958
honestly dude, you want to be as american as possible. the japanese love that shit. what they hate is gaijin who try to act japanese. if you want to win people over, speak broken as fuck japanese and act like a clumsy oaf and they will actually find that shit endearing. just play along when they correct you and try to fill you in on the "japanese way" of doing things.
>>
>>1362930
You mean the guy above the comment that I just posted on?
>>
>>1362931
This. Be alpha. Smoke in public places, speak loudly on trains and use your phone with sound NEVER HEADPHONES.

It's a real pantydropper and japanese people will respect you more for it.
>>
>>1362338
Kyoto kind of does it's own thing in Kansai and it has a lot of tourists. In Osaka, I only see people standing on the left side at the airport and automatically assume they're not from around here.

If you take public transportation like a bus or train and it's kind of crowded, it's ok to sit down in an open seat regardless of where it is. I'd rather you sit in the "priority seats" than block the aisle or doorways. Just get out of the way.

If you enter a super crowded train last make sure to back yourself in and you can use your hand to grab the top of the open doorway to push your body inside. Once the doors close you can lean against the door. If you're not getting off at the next stop you still need to move to let other people out. You can exit the train and stand directly outside the door, close to the train and in front of the line waiting to enter. Once the people have gotten off, you get back on that train first and move out of the way and don't block the door. If you have large briefcases put it overhead on the luggage rack or keep it beside you/in front of you. Bags are the same or you can put them on the floor in between your legs.
>>
>>1362930
>>> That's literally what he wrote....
What who wrote it on there, hmm?
>>
>>1362929
yes they'll assume you forgot money at your table
>>
>>1363049
So that's pretty much why then.
>>
>>1362772
Hell, I'm a comedian dude right here now.
>>
>>1361958
As a souvenir can you buy an authentic samurai sword in Japan to mail back to the United States? I'm not referring to a cheap knockoff, but an AUTHENTIC samurai sword?

It may sound cheesy, but I try to get something authentic from every country I travel to and thought it would be a good addition to my mancave for decoration. Is it possible?

Are there any laws in Japan that prevent the buying of weapons such as these? I'd like to display it on my wall next to my other purchases from foreign travel.
>>
>>1363148
Depends on the sword,the issue isn't so much bringing them home so much as getting them out. The absolute finest swords are illegal to own outside of Japan, they're rare and expensive enough that they're likely a non-factor for you anyway. Authentic swords of a lower grade can be taken out of the country but they require paperwork to authorize for export.

That said I don't know the full procedure, but there are legal issues to get around if you want to get something authrntic. I'm more interested in kitchen knives myself. Many of them are forged by historical swordsmiths and utilize the same craftsmanship but its something I have a practical use for.
>>
>>1363155
Thanks for the input. I also am interested in purchasing a fine set of Japanese cooking knives while I am there. My wife and I cook a lot and I thought it would be a good addition to our kitchen.

Thanks for the advice about the swords. I understand that the TOP of the line swords may be out of my price range. I was more looking at a sword that isn't complete crap that you buy here in America (pawn shop quality). I'd just like a really nice sword of decent quality that would be a good addition for my mancave as a souvenir from my time in Japan.

I'm just looking for something that's of higher quality than the crap that you get in the United States, get what I'm saying? I don't want any flea market shit.

Just a good quality one, not really the AUTHENTIC ones that are tens of thousands of dollars.
>>
>>1363127
>>> Hell, I'm a comedian dude right over here now as well.
Yeah right!
>>
>>1362772
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiY2caNryOU

Do you think a train is a library type quiet environment where you can whisper on your phone. Listen to this video. You can't barely hear the announcements.
>>
>>1363200
Yes but also along especially when your talking really loud or even yelling to the person whomever your talking through on the phone with there.
>>
When in a crowded train during rush hour be sure to take note of and compliment women on how they smell. This is considered to be a very kind gesture and you know the Japanese will appreciate your attention to detail as well.
>>
File: 1344095801587.jpg (72 KB, 854x480)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1363213
>>
>>1363213
Also, use a selfie stick to take pictures under girls' dresses on the train. It's a fetish women have over there. They love it.

It's a good way to meet girls.
>>
File: DSC01803_1280x1280.jpg (221 KB, 1024x683)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>>1363159
Be prepared to spend 400k yen at an absolute minimum, anything less being touted as a legitimate blade is going to likely be Chinese shit being hocked to tourists. If it claims to be real but doesn't come with a certificate and/or isn't being directly sold by the workshop that forged it you're likely being conned. MAYBE if you dedicate yourself to hunting around you'll be able to find a WWII-era katana for less but it'll have been machine-made and likely in shit condition. You'll also have to contend with arranging an export permit which will have it's own costs and paperwork associated with it.

If you're just after a display piece it's far less headache to get an imitation for 10k yen or so. The handle and sheath will be of the same quality as those made for authentic swords but with a plastic or cheap machine-pressed metal blade that can't be sharpened. Or like someone else brought up look at kitchen knives instead, or a kamisori if you happen to shave with a straight edge. Many of them come from centuries-old swordsmith traditions and they're far less hassle to bring home.
>>
>>1362934
The CHAD gaijin vs the VIRGIN weeb
>>
>>1363263
That's J. Cole right there now, isn't it?
>>
>>1363270
Who else could come with those kinds of trash soyboy raps about females except perhaps Drake?
>>
>>1363272
Drake could actually çome up with a lot more shit along within females though.
>>
>>1363331
>>>> Drake could actually çome up with a lot more shit around within females though.
>>
>>1363235
I can do $400k yen. It's a once in a lifetime purchase.

The $10k yen would be nice, but I'm looking for the most authentic item I can find. My mancave is full of the most "authentic" stuff I can find from my travels and I think it would be a good addition. Thanks for the input anon.
>>
>>1363338
$400k yen is a lot of money right there.
>>
>>1363338
It's true there so yeah.
>>
>>1363342
Listen though, Money doesn't grow on tree's there Alright?
>>
>>1363543
That's actually true right there.
>>
>>1363549
No it's not already there?
>>
>>1363200
That's a metro line though, I thought we were discussing actual trains.
>>
>>1363680
Metro Lines convert into trains after the last stop.

Just as noisy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvXN3z9GMO0
>>
>>1363834
Oh okay, that's a weird system. Haven't seen it anywhere in Europe
>>
>>1363975
never been to europe and never been to a metro. Am I missing anything?
>>
>>1363338
Why on earth would you spend 4 grand on a fucking katana that's gonna sit in your house and rust?

Moreover, why are you people bothering to learn all this etiquette shit for your 2 week holidays? The Japs aren't gonna think any more or less of you for bowing, not using your phone on the train and mumbling suimasen.
>>
>>1364183
OP said he was going there for business. Etiquette is very important in business.

He could do away with the katana bullshit though.
>>
>>1364069
I meant I've only ever seen metro lines (= underground, within cities) and train lines (= in open air, between cities/towns) as two distinct things.
>>
>>1364183
What kind of shitty place do you live in where metal rust inside your house
>>
>>1363159
>>1363148
Hey Sword dude, go to the Samurai Museum in Kabukicho. If memory serves, they sell some swords that are like, 200 years old or something. The museum is pretty legit as well.

samuraimuseum.jp/en
>>
>>1364183
>Moreover, why are you people bothering to learn all this etiquette shit for your 2 week holidays?

Because it's fucking basic common courtesy? Are you one of the Cambodian dry-humpers or something?
>>
>>1362494
Is the state of US public transportation the standard Japan should strive for?
>>
>>1364183
>p-please sir you're not allowed to do that
>lol that sounds dumb as shit lol *buuurp* I ain't following that
You probably think learning foreign languages is useless too
>>
File: Hibiya Line.jpg (318 KB, 1024x768)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>>1363975
>>1364069
>>1364192

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Metro_Hanz%C5%8Dmon_Line

The 16.8 km line serves the wards of Shibuya, Minato, Chiyoda, Chūō, Kōtō, and Sumida. Despite being shorter in length than nearly all other Tokyo subway lines, the Hanzōmon Line operates some of the longest through services with private railways - namely Tōkyū Corporation and Tobu Railway. The line is connected to Tōkyū Den-en-toshi Line at Shibuya Station to the south, and to the Tobu Skytree Line at Oshiage to the north. Through trains operate between Chūō-Rinkan on the Tōkyū Den-en-toshi Line and Tōbu-Dōbutsu-Kōen on the Tobu Skytree Line, onward to Kuki on the Tobu Isesaki Line and Minami-Kurihashi on the Tobu Nikko Line.[2] Through-service trains between Chūō-Rinkan and Minami-Kurihashi cover a total distance of 98.5 km in a single run - more than five times the length of the Hanzōmon Line alone.

See this picture how it coverts into "others" aka trains.
>>
>>1362632
I am from europe too and we, in the Netherlands, find it annoying af.
>>
>>1362931
>>1362934
>>1363257
Kek

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.