[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 133 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: japan-tokyo.jpg (307 KB, 1920x1080)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
Discuss here teaching English abroad as a foreign language, share your experience, ask for advice, etc.
>>
>>1402045
These threads have been going on for years, we should make a pasta with useful links and info for the OP
>>
Does anybody know how long it might take from applying for a English teaching abroad post to a first paycheck? I've got small amounts of debt to pay off by September, so if the process takes several months before you're finally with a classroom (and of course get your first paycheck a month later) then I would be better off taking an extra temp job this summer until the debt's down and delay going off to do this. If however I could get paid in like 12 weeks from applications closing then I might be able to go straight into this. I don't have a TEFL qualification, although some people have told me they don't have one and they're not always necessary.

Is interviewing/checking etc a long process? For those without TEFL do they have a paid training period of a sort or something?
>>
>>1402074
Do you have a 4 year degree?
Are you White?
>>
>>1402104

Literal white guy from Oxford with a BBC accent. My degree is only a 3 year STEM though. I keep hearing about 4 year degrees and teaching abroad but I assumed it wasn't a huge deal, why do they want 4 year in particular and how much of an issue is it?
>>
>>1402045
What about freelance 1 on 1 tutoring in China? On a tourist visa.

Just want to travel around to different cities and make some side money and have fun doing it, i enjoy teaching.
>>
>>1402045
Is it possible to LEGALLY teach in Taiwan or HK if you come from a non-english speaking country?

I have a masters in education and a C2 cert, plus demonstrable experience as a teacher. I am also white with a slight british accent.
>>
>>1402151
>HK

Yes. Make sure you get a CELTA too.

>Taiwan

Forget it, they made it illegal unless you come from Canada, USA, Britain, South Africa, New Zealanda, Australia or Ireland. I advise against going to Taiwan illegally, you're in for a world of hurt if you try this... trust me. Don't ask how I know.
>>
>>1402263
Spain. Also, am I right in supposing that teaching Spanish or German is out of the question altogether?
>>
U.K. backpacker here thinking of doing it in Vietnam. Haven’t completed my degree yet and do not have a work permit. Is it possible?
>>
Thoughts on Aeon japan? Also what are my chances
>Flip
>whiter thanks to a bit of spanish blood
>degree in secondary education in english
>>
>>1402585
>U.K. backpacker here thinking of doing it in Vietnam. Haven’t completed my degree yet and do not have a work permit. Is it possible?
exactly the same situation as you. I just got offered a job today.
Have you got a TEFL certificate? Are you white?
Also, expect less choice but it is possible if you look in the right places. Try expat.com, and filter jobs by freelancing. Search the right things on google, such as "junior teacher needed in..."
>>
File: 14060_3c0f57a1.jpg (1.25 MB, 1280x853)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
How difficult is it to get work visas as an American? I have several years teaching experience, both in America and abroad, but it has always been through government programs. Is it unrealistic to think that I can go to say Croatia and find a school that will sponsor a work visa for me?
>>
>>1403205
I'm from Serbia and have never heard of foreigners teaching English in the Balkans at all. Maybe Croatia has some program but I reckon it would be very specialized with few slots. Public schools in the region generally don't have the budget for such programs and I highly doubt they have an ALT system like Japan or something. Maybe some private schools or IB schools.
>>
>>1403207
Damn, I was also interested in Serbia. I guess its unrealistic.
>>
>>1403214
You'd be making under 400 euros a month here at a state teaching job, not something you'd want anyway. Your best option here is to get hired by some international NGO with offices in the region. How you'd do that without actually being here, I have no clue. It's a shit region anyways, I wouldn't bother if I were you.
>>
Do you guys use a VOIP service to keep in touch with your family and friends back home?
>>
>>1403230
Skype has a nice unlimited plan for different regions, I pay 2.99 USD a month for unlimited calls to landlines and cellphones in the USA.
>>
>>1403230
I use Skype and call my family every week. The time difference is a bit of a pain, but other than that it works pretty well.
>>
Anybody got any info for teaching Vietnam? I'm trying to find a job with minimal hours, I got some extra money so I'm not trying to bust my ass over there but still want a decent gig. I got a year of experience in Japan,

Can anybody recommend a company or resource?
>>
>>1403230
I use LINE or WhatsApp to call/text people back home. Depending on your mobile carrier, some also offer international texting free
>>
>>1403399
Bumping my double doubles
>>
>>1402594
Bump
>>
I want to get out of the UK and teach English abroad and learn French properly.

There seem to be a load of different teaching qualifications... Is TEFL the best? Which are the most recognised ones?

My thoughts at the moment are to go to France for a year, and then try somewhere like Senegal after gaining a good level of French. I currently have no French qualification - I read that in France they'd want level B CEFR . Anyone have any experience with this?

Basically I'm totally new to this and would love to hear what people have to say about teaching English abroad. I want to get out, learn French and live independently in a foreign country. Classic English accent with a good degree
>>
>>1403230
Hello, we're not in 2004 anymore grandpa, what's next, you're gonna say you use ventrilo to talk to your mommy lmfao

Just download whatsapp, wechat or line, retard.
>>
>>1404608
>There seem to be a load of different teaching qualifications... Is TEFL the best?

No.
The "best" is a Masters in TESOL.

A TEFL only qualification won't allow you to teach @ Universities.
>>
File: 1511381747670.jpg (44 KB, 480x358)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
I'll be honest guys, I don't know shit about teaching abroad. It's something that's seemed interesting to me for a couple of years, but I've been completely swamped with school until now. My first hurdle (beyond anxiety and fear of making a huge change like this) is money. Do all companies expect you to front relocation costs? I was just looking at ECC and they recommended having 200kyen (roughly $2k) before applying, which I don't have. I was thinking about trying to get started teaching this fall but I may have to postpone until I can save up the funds. I'm a poorfag graduate right now.
>>
>>1404906
You can get a loan from some companies.
>>
>>1404906
Every company expects you to pay your own way. Starting yourself off with debt with a minimum wage job in a foreign country really isn't a good idea.
>>
>>1405878
Not just not easy, but impossible. You'd know this if you tried a simple search.

https://eslauthority.com/blog/teach-taiwan-without-degree/
>>
>>1405878

Sure but you'd have to work for HESS, which is like the bottom of the barrel when it comes to buxibans
>>
What's the best program to apply for in Japan? I have a while to graduate so I have time to learn a bit of the language, but I'm trying to decide between Japan and China. I've met a few businessmen in airports who said their favorite place was hong kong, but I don't know how competitive the teaching market there is. Also I've heard a lot of horror stories about mainland china so i'm hesitant to learn Chinese if the mainland will be my only option.
>>
Is it true that I can teach in certain countries without a degree? If i get my TEFL will I be able to in places like Cambodia, China, Spain, Russia, and Nicaragua? Is it really hard?
>>
>>1405886
How much money is usually necessary for Japan?
>>
>>1406140
>China

no.
>>
>>1406173
you need a degree to teach a china? I saw some sites saying you dont, whats your source?
>>
>>1402594
I have no idea about Japan but you'd be employed in no time in Vietnam. Well, maybe not while public school is out but definitely in a few months
>>
>>1406178
I honestly don't have the patience for fucking brainlets like you.

Just go to China to teach without a degree, I'm sure you'll do just fine.
>>
>>1402110
Amerimutts are stupid and take 4 years to get a BSc/Ba instead of 3
>>
>>1406251
It's because they can't cram the propaganda classes in a three year period.
>>
Question for anyone in Japan. How much were you able to save up a month on your meager salary? Just want to know how much of the initial cost you can recoup. I know it of course varies on a lot of things, but I'm just interested.
>>
>>1402045
>english teacher in Korea
>worked 15hours a week (no desk warming) 4/7days a week
>paid 1,500,000kwon a month (1,400 usd)
>dont pay for apartment
>they paid me back for flights and paid me 1.3k USD to fly home which cost less than 300 USD but shhhh they don't care
>spent about 400 USD per month on utilities/cooking/gym/bus to work
>all the rest was either saved (1k usd) or spent a little on short trips exploring Korea
>>
>>1406427
so why didn't you stay?
Seemed like a solid deal.
>>
>>1406321
Depends on so many factors that it's impossible to say.

I live in the middle of nowhere and can save more than someone living in a city, but I still have to pay for my car, heating (those winter months were brutal), more expensive food because it's so hard to transport food in, etc. I spend a lot of my time traveling so I don't lose my everloving mind, but I've still been able to save a couple thousand during my months here.

Basically, after I pay for my house, car, internet, and bills, I'm looking at roughly $1,500 a month. Then you gotta factor in food (roughly $100 a week, usually more for me since I go out a lot), gas (I fill up once every two weeks (sometimes more) and it costs about $35 a pop), and then doing stuff for fun (movies cost like $20 a ticket, I sometimes do weekend trips which can cost around $150 a time). You could definitely get by spending a lot less money than I do and if you really wanna save it's possible. You just gotta watch out for miscellaneous expenses that always come up and surprise you.
>>
>>1406429
2years is long enough man. I then spent 1year travelling through SEA (spent about 4k USD all up). teaching English sucks, and I wasn't doing a good job.

Going back to travel 5months in east asia then hit up some Europe instead.
>>
>>1406430
Are you in the red overall?
>>
>>1406434
Stay where you are.
>>
>>1406433
Why do you think it sucks? I'm curious.
I never had a problem with it but I never taught in Korea either..
>>
>>1406437
I taught Kingergarten through to Grade 6

Students dont care about English. Teachers dont overly care - Every single subject or task took priority over English, so I would come in some days with someone saying "Oh your X class is cancelled today because they should run around the oval a few times instead".

Their English is not good in rural Korea, so a lot of students will turn off really fast unless they understand straight away.

I am a bad teacher also. I was so over it and no one cared. No one spoke English at my school bar like 2 people.

They did want me to stay longer because the students loved me, but I had to leave for my own mental health (which isn't great in the first place).
>>
>>1406439
>Their English is not good in rural Korea

That's all of Asia basically

>Students don't care about English

That's mostly true but it also depends on the teacher and since you admitted you didn't care much for teaching I suspect that's also the problem - though I know from experience some classes are just absolute shit and there isn't much the teacher can do no matter how awesome he/she is

>"Oh your X class is cancelled today because they should run around the oval a few times instead".

Isn't that good? I mean you're still getting paid aren't you? and top of that you don't have to teach. I don't know how things are in Korea but in Japan if that happened I'd had to stay in the school even if I weren't teaching but that's okay because I'm allowed to whatever the fuck I want so I could, for example, study Japanese during downtime (or if you're cheeky, watch animu - as long as you're not showing the whole world you're doing it).

I don't see how tha's a problem and besides, you were being paid a ton for little amount of work - you could also teach privately for extra income.

I digress.... you yourself said it wasn't doing you well so I applaud you for being honest and leaving - it takes courage to admit it. Though I suspect your mental health isn't that bad if you could see this yourself.

Anyway, where do you live if you don't mind me asking? And do you have a job back home?
>>
>>1406454
I lived near the cost of Gangwondo (4hours east of Seoul)

>do you have a job back home?

Na, I travelled, then came home and mooched off my parents house while I did some study, but now going back to Japan/Korea/HK/Taiwan to travel for 5 months. Then I am going to Finland to do my military service. New experiences and all that.
>>
>>1406457
>Finland

wait, do you have dual citizenship?
>>
>>1406465
Sure do ;)

I might marry a Korean woman and go for that 3rd one!
>>
>>1406436
Fuck off. I've lived overseas and know how to manage my money, I just didn't properly read your post.
>>
>>1406468
No really, stay where you are, you are a nigger.
Don't respond to this thread ever again.
>>
>>1406467
>3rd one

I've no idea about Korea but Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship.

Might want to look into that friendo.
>>
>>1406470
Nope. I'm going to live in Japan just to spite you.
>>
>>1406475
lmfao sure thing kiddo.

>doesn't even know how to budget

Good luck, honestly.
See you crying about Japan in 1 year man, and waiting for your suicide webm on r9k
>>
>>1406478
>reading comprehension
To think you were giving me shit for mine.
>>
File: 16e[1].jpg (28 KB, 537x571)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1406481
>>
>>1406468
I'm the guy who originally posted my budget but seriously I would highly recommend not coming to Japan to teach. Budget is only part of it. I lived abroad before, multiple times in fact. This is easily the worst and I kick myself every day for not listening to the people who warned me against this shit.
>>
>>1406498
not who you are replying to, but I'm interested why.
>>
>>1406502
As they make abundantly clear, every situation is different, but for the most part I think everyone has a similar story. I'm an ALT, for what it's worth.

For one thing you're not able to choose where you go. Which might sound like a big deal until you end up like me, in a remote mountain village with no train, no convenience store, and one bus that runs through town three times a day.

Even if you do get placed somewhere that is cool, most of the time your job is a joke. Most of my classes involve me standing around silently until the teacher asks me to read some cards. You're basically forgotten about unless they're using you as a babysitter to entertain the kids. There's practically no communication between the other teachers and you. Yesterday, I just showed up to work and no one was in the teachers room. Turns out, all the classes were cancelled but this information was never relayed to me, so I just sat in the office all day doing nothing. This happens all the time. Some days I'll have no classes, some days I have my days packed and no time to even gather my thoughts before I run to the next class. And to make matters worse, my elementary school classes got doubled this year, and taxes went up so my paychecks are even smaller.

If you have any problems with anything, your requests will be delayed or ignored as long as possible. I've sent in plenty of requests and the ones that didn't just get ignored completely took forever to get around to. I didn't have hot water in my shower for nearly 6 months.

Basically, every day is a reminder that you're useless and only there to fill a government requirement. You get paid pretty horribly and the work fluctuates between mind-numbing and demeaning. And when it's all over, that's that. I don't have any references, no relevant experience (even if I wanted to become a teacher, they don't talk ALT work seriously because of how little you actually do), and barely any savings. Believe me, it's awful.
>>
>>1406510
Are you with JET, Interac, or something else entirely?
>>
>>1406521
I'm with JET, which is unfortunately supposed to be the best. I've talked to many others on JET as well as Interac folks and they all have similar issues with boring/useless classes and having requests ignored.

I know someone in JET who has a bathtub that looks like it's pre-WWII and when it recently stopped working, he was told that it would take a couple weeks to fix and he'd have to pay for it out of pocket.
>>
>>1406522
Yeah I'm doing JET at the moment too, it's pretty shit. I cannot imagine working at an eikaiwa and getting paid worse for even more work.

Honestly the worst thing about Japan is the people, there just so fucking dull and inhuman.
>>
>>1406510
Where were you placed?
>>
>>1406524
Definitely. Since I'm quitting I was looking for other options in Japan but even the best eikaiwa's seem like a nightmare. I've got a friend who works until 9pm every night and the housing she lives in is over an hour away by train.

You're right about the people, too. There's practically no personality anywhere in the country, and it's especially bad in rural areas. I went to Taiwan for Golden Week and was blown away by how genuinely human the people were.

>>1406526
I'll dox myself here and say I'm in Iwate, and I'm in one of the most rural placements in the prefecture. It's unlikely that anyone applying will get a situation quite as bad as mine, but the possibility still exists and apart from dropping the program entirely, there's nothing at all you can do about it. I requested a transfer (and had a very good reason to do so, doctors note and all) and it was immediately rejected with no explanation.
>>
>>1406524
>Honestly the worst thing about Japan is the people, there just so fucking dull and inhuman.

Whats your JLPT level?
>>
I know there's JETfags here, but anyone here an incoming JET? I just got my placement, looks like I'll be prefectural

>>1406530
How do you survive? And how bad are taxes for you? It's basically a total 20% where I live currently (California) so I can't imagine it could be that much worse
>>
>>1406566
The only reason I haven't just snapped and bought a plane ticket home is because I have nothing to go back to. I go out driving every weekend and try to distract myself from wanting to be dead. Also I go on a lot of vacations to onsen since there are a lot in northern Japan.

I think it's different for the prefecture, but technically the JET salary is 280,000 a month for new JETs. After taxes, health insurance, and some other random shit, I only see about 239,000. My rent, insanely cheap, is 10,000 a month so that's one positive. My car payment is 30,000. Water is always around 3,000 and electricity ranges anywhere from 5,000-9,000. I think I got scammed when setting up my phone and internet and pay about 12,000 for that combined. Then miscellaneous expenses that pop up (for instance, this month I got hit with a random bill for school lunch because they claim I never paid for it even though I'm sure I did... but I have no recorded proof, so I've gotta drop another 7,000 for that) average to about another 10,000 per month. We haven't even included food, gas for my car, or anything else that could pop up and my placement is probably on the cheaper side thanks to my low rent.

Dunno about where you're placed but I would take a really close look at where you're going to be and SERIOUSLY think about if you're ok with living there for at least a year. It might not seem like a long time but it really can be. Where I am, the population is about 6,000 people, most of which are over 70 years old. The closest halfway decent city is over an hour by car through a winding mountain road and is virtually inaccessible during the brutal winter. There is literally nothing to do in my town. When I first signed up, I thought that I would be ok with it, and that maybe I'd meet some cool people after I got here or that I'd find some cool secrets around town that don't show up on Google maps or something. That has not been the case whatsoever.
>>
>>1406586
Good luck man, I know those feels (but yours sounds worse). How long you got left until you can escape?
>>
>>1406530
>Since I'm quitting I was looking for other options in Japan but even the best eikaiwa's seem like a nightmare.
Seems like it's time to learn a skill.

If you've been in the country for 2 years and are still teaching English, that's a personal problem. You should be reasonably conversational in Japanese to the point you can jump to another company using the skills you have, whether it be translation, IT, finance, or something else.

English teaching is only a stepping stone job. It amazes me that people think a job with no potential for promotions or respect is anything else.
>>
>>1406606
I'm out of here at the end of July. Didn't even think of recontracting.

>>1406627
I've been here for less than a year and while it's true that my Japanese has improved it's not at the level where I am confident enough to get into a career in Japan. I'm around an N3 level but never taken the test. If I was here longer and focused on studying I am fairly sure I could get to N2 but at this point I have no interest in working in Japan. In the meantime I've been taking online programming courses and whatnot but I dunno if it will do me any good at this point.

Believe me this was never meant to be a long term thing.
>>
>>1406632
>online programming courses and whatnot but I dunno if it will do me any good at this point.
I don't know how the programming market is in Japan, but in the US you will still be able to get a job if you can prove your coding ability. It'll be harder but it's totally doable.
>>
>>1406632
Did you study Japanese or go out of your way to the learn it? I'm paranoid I'm gonna be there for a year but learn basically nothing language-wise.
>>
>>1406302

It depends on the country, but given the amount of applicants that any company receives around the August timeframe, you might be better waiting just a bit before applying.

I think I've seen your posts in other TEFL threads, but don't worry. HESS could be a stepping stone to something much, much better.
>>
I've done some research on this question, but I want /trv/'s opinion too. Is it worth getting a TEFL cert that comes with a practicum component or do employers not really care about that?
>>
>>1406855
>do employers not really care about that?

They care.
>>
>>1406627
>You should be reasonably conversational in Japanese to the point you can jump to another company using the skills you have, whether it be translation, IT, finance, or something else.

How do you find a place to work as a translator?
Technically speaking, I could translate from/to 3 languages but I never worked in this field.

I suppose I could also edit news articles for a Japanese company - but how would I network for this? tips pls
>>
>>1406861
Like how much?
>>
>>1406888
Depends on country.

China? Taiwan? Japan? Vietnam? Cambodia?
In general, the shittier the country the less they care about it. Some people get jobs teaching English in Vietnam and Thailand with the shittiest "TEFL" certificates out there. I wouldn't recommend it because having credible certification opens doors for you.

In better positions found in China/Hong Kong/Taiwan/Japan - the shittiest schools won't care MUCH but it's still nice to have experience. In better schools, they usually ask for 2 years of experience - sometimes less.

For example, a CELTA (which is considered the best TEFL certificate there is out there) will give you 6 hours of verified teaching experience. This should be enough to get you in the job market (because the name of the TEFL certificate is going to help you a lot).

I know for a fact some schools in Japan (shitty ones with shitty pay) don't ask for any experience whatsoever...

In my opinion - it shouldn't matter to you whether schools ask for experience or not - you should aim for a TEFL certificate that will give you experience in teaching because it'll prepare you properly for the job.
>>
>>1406566
Incoming JET here! Placed in Tokyo, actually. Shitting my pants a little bit at the start-up costs and hoping that i'll hate my life less than Iwate-dude up there.
>>
>>1406901
>i'll hate my life less than Iwate-dude up there.
If you're adaptable you should be fine. A lot of the people who hate it think that every experience is just like theirs or that everyone has the same expectations. Don't let their bitterness get you down, but make sure that you know what to expect. Since you're already placed I'm sure you've probably done your research. Congrats. Learn Japanese as quickly as possible and if you haven't started start.
>>
>>1406878
pls rspond
>>
>>1406901
There are tons of people perfectly content with their position/time with JET or Interac, don't let bitter people get you down. Keep in mind that it could certainly suck, but don't go in expecting it. Every situation is different. Just be adaptable.
>>
>>1406650
I don't have doubts about getting a job, it's just getting a good job that worries me. Basically it sucks that I spent a year doing a job that essentially means nothing to anyone and when I return ending up where I started. Trying to do what I can to stay positive but it's tough.

>>1406652
I studied some before I came and studied a bit on my own while I'm here. You'll pick stuff up naturally but think you'll become fluent just by that alone. I know I could be a lot further along if I was more diligent in my study. I only have myself to blame for where I am in that respect.

>>1406901
If you're in Tokyo you'll be fine. The job can suck at times but my biggest problems stem from loneliness and isolation which definitely won't be a problem there. Startup costs are rough but if you start saving now you'll have no problem. There are plenty of resources for Tokyo JETs to help. I'm not so negative about the program as a whole so much as I'm bitter about getting ripped off on my placement and knowing there's nothing I can do about it.
>>
>>1406969
>If you're in Tokyo you'll be fine

You can be "fine" in many other places.

The problem here is you it seems.
>>
>>1406969
>biggest problems stem from loneliness and isolation
Again you are assuming everyone has a massive problem with that. Don't start telling people not to go when your biggest problem is you. I've lived in very isolated areas, once in a country where I didn't speak the language very well, and I was completely fine with it.
>>
>>1406981
>>1407001
I always get this from people who want to doubt how bad things can actually be. They always point to someone else and be like "well they live just fine in the inaka so why can't you?" But there are so many factors involved that go beyond just the isolation. That's one of my big problems, but the brutal winters, overpriced everything, terrible school situation, unhelpful board of education, absolutely filthy house I was moved into, and general unfriendliness of the town just add on to it.

I never told anyone not to go. I said to really think about if you're ok with your placement and if you think that you're not gonna be happy living in a place for a year you should think about it. If you're not the kind of person who is ok with spending most of their days in silence alone at their desks with nothing to do, only to come home to spend their afternoons and weekends by themselves, then you probably won't be happy doing that for an entire year. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the right person for my placement and someone else might love this kind of life.

So many people get their placements and become complacent with all the crap that gets thrown on them and I don't think that's fair. They feel like since they've gone through the long process of the application, they would have wasted a lot of time if they reject their placement. Kinda true, but it's better than wasting an entire year in a place you hate. All I'm saying is that I had doubts when I first came over, but tried my hardest to be positive feeling like things would work themselves out, but that never happened.

And as it is, every situation is different. The teachers you work with year to year change, the classes you teach change, the other ALTs in the area change, the students change. Someone who loved their placement one year might hate it the next. Just things to keep in mind if you're planning on dropping everything to go live in a different country for a year.
>>
>>1406586
I don't understand why you people even go when you don't want to either integrate or are not okay with being a loner...
Personally all my life I've practically been alone and after all these years it's perfectly fine by me...
Honestly with some decent Japanese it sounds like a dream job. I am currently doing my B-Tech in comp sci and if I apply right after or after the M-Tech what are my chances (Already have 10+ years of English schooling and honestly I am as good in English as any native speaker)?
>>
>>1407060
I lived alone for years before I came to Japan, so I'm definitely used to it. I've tried to integrate by learning as much Japanese as I can and going to practically every work outing offered, and it's definitely not as easy as you think. Almost everyone in my town who isn't a high school student or younger is over 50 years old and not interested in hanging out with the ALT. Even though I've practiced Japanese a lot and can have conversations all day without much problem, there is always gonna be a certain point where people just get tired of trying to talk to someone who isn't a native speaker. It can be exhausting for both parties.

When I first signed up for the program, I thought that I would be able to meet people my age around town, but that hasn't been the case. I also figured that there would be nearby towns where I could go and meet people, but the nearest ones are a pretty hefty distance. And even when I do go to town, there's a military base to the north, so most people just assume I'm military and aren't interested in talking (even though I don't look like it at all, they just see I'm a foreign dude in his 20s and make the assumption).

That's not to say I haven't met anyone, but it's not like I can just waltz into town and become everyone's best friend. And it's not like I'm bad at meeting people, either. I've got friends in pretty much every big city in Japan, but none around my area. I can't blame the location 100% but I would say things aren't as easy as you make it seem.

If you're interested in getting a job in Japan, as long as you speak English it shouldn't be too hard depending on where you're from.
>>
>>1406189
Any experiences you can share about teaching in vietnam? Is the pay good? I was thinking of going to s.korea if japan did not pan out.
>>
What's the scene like in Vietnam for somebody who wants to only work part time. Just want something for the Visa and kill 20-30 hours a week. I have a year of experience in Japan.
>>
>>1406878
>>1406916
>>1406627
>>
>>1407062
everything you say is legit and valid, good luck m8ie.
>>
Just wanted to say that not everyone's experience as an ALT in Japan is the same. Some people have shit times. I am doing great though. The having no idea where you will be placed is more of a JET thing. I work at Interac, and applied from within the country after already living here, so they just placed me near to where I lived. I'm not sure exactly how it works if you apply from out of the country, but if you are planning on staying more than a year, you can just request to be transferred to pretty much anywhere in the country after your first year. You might not be placed in downtown Tokyo, but you can be nearby easily enough.
>>
>>1407505
this is true.

One thing I wanna say though is that JET makes it practically impossible to get transferred. I requested for very good reasons and it was immediately rejected.
>>
What qualifications do you need in order to teach at a university in Asia (specifically Japan, Korea or HK/Shanghai)? How do you go about getting a job like that?
Also, if you teach at a high school in one of those countries, is it possible to be involved in the school's club/sports activities?
>>
>>1407548
>is it possible to be involved in the school's club/sports activities?
>>
>>1407789
Great response, thanks m8
>>
Well I'm finally moving to Japan after a few months of interviewing + waiting for my COE.

I'll be working at an Eikaiwa and my placement is located at a midsize city with a population of roughly 300k-700k in the Island of Kyushu.

Plan is stay at the company for a year or two and then move on to something better if possible.
>>
>>1407819
>Plan is stay at the company for a year or two and become disillusioned while posting about my depression on youtube then go back home.

Sorry just fixing a typo.
>>
>>1407823
What's wrong bud?
>>
>>1406901
The thing is, with JET you basically trade your salary for convenience and access to things. Being in Tokyo, your rent is going to be amongst the highest, but you'll be trading a lowered net salary for the absolutely immense access to services, people, shopping, entertainment, transportation, and infrastructure that Tokyo has to offer. In the inaka, you're gonna be able to save more, but you'll also be sitting in your 4 bedroom home, in your tiny village with 300 old people, doing fuck all in your leisure time. As others have said, every situation is definitely different, but living in the Japanese countryside is really fucking tough, even for Japanese let alone a gaijin.

Also, go in with zero expectations, absolutely zero. That way you'll only be pleasantly surprised. But honestly, you're in Tokyo, it's gonna be a blast, I'm fucking jealous.
>>
>>1407848
>There exists only Tokyo and the Inaka

hmmmm
so THIS is the immense knowledge of the Eikaiwa teacher huh
>>
>>1407062
Depressing read for someone that's interested in applying. I was reading the JET subreddit and broadly speaking, even people that are out in the boonies seemed satisfied with their situation. I can't really picture how someone could walk into your predicament with such a small town and not hate it though. In what lies the variance between placings that are similar in terms of number of people and remoteness? I don't get it.

If I do go through with applying, I'd probably just have to abandon the program if I got a super rural placing. Doesn't seem remotely worth it.
>>1407505
>tfw native speaker with a degree from an English-thought program but can't apply to anything aside from JET due to elementary/HS being in a different language
>>
>>1407878
what the fuck are you talking about?
I'm Brazilian (educated in... guess where) and I teach (English) in Japan.

Granted it's a "no name" place but they sponsored my visa and I'm here legally. Also, JET is usually the best paying option and if you indicate a place like Sendai etc you're likely to get it from my experience.

I've had 2 friends who were on the JET programme

1st one said during his interview that he wanted to be placed in Sendai

he got the position

2nd one got placed near Sapporo (he asked FOR Sapporo but they sent him to a town that is like, 15 min by bus from Sapporo so it's fine).

Granted this is the Brazilian version of the JET so I don't know if this is why it's easier (though from what I've heard - it's actually much HARDER for a Brazilian to be accepted to our JET version - mostly because it requires N1).
>>
>>1407882
>can't apply to anything ASIDE from JET

JET is the only program I've found that doesn't require 10 years of schooling in English. Is that the part of my post you're referring to? If it's regarding the placement stuff, your sample size of n=2 isn't sufficient for me t b h. From the placement threads I've seen on leddit, it seems the majority don't get their selected choice.
>>
How is teaching english in lower tier countries in SEA or south america?
>>
>>1407885
http://heart-school.jp/en/faq.html#work03

shitty pay, shitty work though.
But you don't need those years of "schooling in English".

If you want to believe leddit, do so.
>>
>>1407888
>South America

should be fine in Chile - there's a lot of money to be made in private tutoring but not much in teaching at a School.

TEFL isn't as big here as in Asia.
>>
>>1407885
also, I believe this school

http://www.jesjapan.com/

also doesn't have the "12 years of schooling in English" as a requirement (could be wrong, but last I looked, they don't).
>>
>>1407892
>>1407896
Why wouldn't I believe them? It's a big subreddit with hundreds of JETs, It's highly doubtful they congregate in the placement threads just to lie about where they're being sent. In any case, I'll apply to JET for sure if I decide to go the teaching route. Thanks for the links.
>>
>>1407897
One thing to keep in mind is that people are gonna be more likely to talk about the program if they're happy with their placement. A lot of people who are negative about JET get shouted down and treated like they're just whining or homesick, so they don't even bother to try and share their experience.

>>1407878
I requested an urban placement in either Sendai, Saitama, or Kobe. I was sent to one of the most rural places imaginable in northern Japan, not even close to anything I requested. I mentioned that my hobbies were seeing movies and going to the gym. There's not a movie theater or a gym within an hour drive from me. What's more is that there were people from my consulate who ended up going to Saitama and Kobe despite not requesting them.

If you want to avoid a rural placement, I would recommend not indicating that you have a driver's license. I told the people during my interview that I had a license, but didn't want to drive and that got ignored completely. My placement requires driving, so they are less likely to accept someone who can't drive. I also indicated that I had a decent Japanese ability. Even though it's nothing special, they heard that I knew some and figured I would fare well here.

I highly recommend dropping the program if you get a crap placement. So many people just come because they figure they can tough it out and end up wasting their time. I know it sucks to go through the whole process and then rejecting it, but it's better than spending a year in a place you hate, no matter how many people try to tell you to just "give it a shot."
>>
Does anyone know much about TEFL in eastern Europe? There is little info about it.

I have been teaching in Vietnam for 7 months, and while I know it won't be as sweet a deal as it is here, I would much prefer to live in that part of the world
>>
>>1402585
It's not difficult to find work in Vietnam as a native speaker. Very easy. Especially in Saigon but its easy in Hanoi too.
>>
>>1408064
I've personally never heard of such a program in the Balkans at least. Your best bet would be private schools I reckon. Also remember that wages for teachers in Slav countries are extremely low. Essentially barely livable.
>>
>>1402045
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDm4BRgE0JY
>>
>>1408090
I've heard that native speaking teachers make more than average (we make WAY more than average in Vietnam) but I have no idea how accurate that is or what level of qualification is required.

I think it's probably unlikely in EU countries but in Ukraine and Russia? Yeah yeah I know

>Ukraine

But I've been in Asia long enough. Vietnamese people are really nice and welcoming but for obvious reasons I'll always be far more of an outsider here than in Europe
>>
>>1405887
Officially sure. In practice they don't give a fuck
>>
Are there no aeonfags here? Is interac and JET the only or rather most common choice for teaching?
>>
It's really interesting reading everyones experiences here teaching in Japan.
I work at a school in Sapporo, and I'll admit that Im not as enthusiastic about the whole experience as I once was. Ive got a pretty comfortable job, most of my students are genki, all the staff speak english and the moneys not bad.
My biggest problems are:
-the amount of "preparation time" i have to endure everyday (about 3 hours), when it only takes me 15 mins to prepare for the day.
-9 hours a day, finishing at 8.
-having to pretend like your doing work, when there really isnt anything to do.
-i dont find it a particularly fulfilling career.

I know friends and colleagues here who genuinely enjoy teaching and will probably stay here forever. I also know people who came here 20 years ago, speak fluent Japanese, and are having midlife crisis'/want to change their careers but are stuck in a rut. Everyones different.
Personally I think if you can learn decent Japanese and have a healthy lifestyle/are in good shape, you'll get the most out of this place. But coming here purely as a means to escape problems back home is not wise. Its not a holiday, its an occupation.
Some guy above complained about loneliness. I can certainly relate to that. Drinking/going to bars is the easiest way to meet new friends, but you have to be extroverted about it.
>>
>>1408179
>-the amount of "preparation time" i have to endure everyday (about 3 hours), when it only takes me 15 mins to prepare for the day.

Elaborate.
>>
>>1408179
Just thought I'd chime in and give my opinion on the issue. I'm Brazilian FYI (this info is important for what I'm about to say)

During my 8 years here in Japan, I've noticed that the people who complain about the country are, in most cases, spoiled people from "1st world countries". Norway, USA, Switzerland, Austria... it doesn't matter - if you come from a nice place - moving to Japan is most likely not the best idea from my own experience (and I have also lived in Germany and Switzerland so I can compare other countries to Japan).

Initially - I wanted to live in Switzerland, but I couldn't find a company to sponsor my visa. So after studying there for 1 year (and having lived in Germany for another year) I knew I couldn't just go back home to the shithole known as Brazil.

I then decided to come to Japan. In absolutely every way (except maybe social life ***which in my case I don't care much about) Japan is superior to Brazil. Now, say you come from a place like Austria or Switzerland or Norway (as I've seen here) you most likely won't adapt to the harsh nature of "realism" in Japan. You're also likely to have a much lower salary - or you'll have to work MUCH more for the same salary you could have back at home - while also being considered just a 外国人. No matter how good your Japanese is or how long you live here - you'll always be an outsider (as am I).

These are the people who start noticing all of the little details that bother them and end up being miserable here. In a way, you have to have a really open mind to live in Japan... which most people think they have but they don't.

It's the same with all of the people who come here to teach English thinking it'll be the adventure of their lives - you still have to pay bills, it's still a job, you're still going to have to deal with peoples' attitudes. Except everything is harder now because you're in an alien place where YOU are the alien.
>>
you need a degree?
>>
>>1408238
u taek him 2 da park?
>>
>>1408230
What you're saying is, effectively, that Japan is a second-world country. GLORIOUS NIPPON WEEBS BTFO ETERNALLY.
>>
>>1408230
>>1408244
Not him but Japan absolutely feels like a 2nd world country, especially outside of the major cities.

Lots of Indians, SEAs and other people from the 2nd world love it for that reason, and are willing to put up with the shit wages, minimal career options, poor living conditions and exploitative work culture as a result. A lot of people from Europe, America, Australia, etc on the other hand come here, go "wtf is this shit?" and leave after a couple years or so.
>>
>>1408417
Tell me of a single Western city as great as Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Sapporo or Fukuoka.

I'll be waiting.
>>
Hi guys,

I'm considering teaching english at some point in the future.

I'd like to save no less than $1,000 a month while teaching.

And have enough free time to work on writing/whatever I really want to do

I know I need a TEFL and will get one before I go.

Went to college for 4 years, I have graduation pictures but never received my degree(long story).

Is there any place in particular where I should go?

Any particular TEFL I should take?

The best way to have a job lined up?

I'm from the US, currently I only speak English.
>>
>>1408460
>but never received my degree(long story).

Forget about it.
>>
>>1408460
>Is there any place in particular where I should go?
Check the country comparison PDF on ITA's site. It shows you how much you stand to gain, lose, or not make in each country by region.
>>
File: scorpion.jpg (17 KB, 396x350)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>24 years old
>never finished degree
>have had 2 working holiday visas working in hostels and bars
>completed TEFL/TESOL Certification
>just accepted job offer in spain
>again, no degree, still got job
>>
>>1408501

Thanks man for this post .

I'm 24 too.

I figured you can get by, and I can still say I have 4 years of college haha.

Where have you done working holidays?
>>
Take it from a guy who is finishing his TEFL gig in two months: do your fucking research and talk to teachers at the school before jumping right into the fray.

If I had known how impossible to please the management would be in addition to being surrounded by teachers who refused to stand their ground most of the time, I would have found another cram school in a heartbeat.

That being said, Taiwan is the tits and I'm going to miss Family Mart when I go back to the states
>>
>>1408460

China is a possibility but you'll be at a disadvantage without a degree. Should you hate the school you're at, moving to another one might be impossible
>>
>>1408501
in Spain yeah.
But that other guy -> >>1408460

wants to save 1k p/month.

There's absolutely no way that will be possible doing TEFL in Europe.
>>
>>1408501
Doubt you will last if a degree is legally required.
>>
File: LaidBuack.jpg (273 KB, 1024x683)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>1408518

I did 6 months working holiday in Australia, and 2 years in the UK. You will fine dude, just keep looking for a good gig, at the end of the day if you want to travel just get yourself qualified to bartend, i completed a certification online and then gained tonnes of experience in my home country (Canada) before leaving. Although I am sure you want to get that degree finished someday, same as me. You're from the States?

>>1408544

Fortunately no degree is required in Spain. Shitty thing about not having that degree is the options are limited but I lucked out, plus my CV/resume is stacked
>>
>>1408526
How you enjoying Taiwan dude? My old roomie who i lived with in Aus just finished 8 months there and loved it
>>
>>1408558

I love Taiwan, I'd make it my second home if I could
>>
>>1402045
>be me, got into JET
>still can't believe I got in
>check their Reddit to see the day's new retarded questions
>feel better about self

Anyone else do this?
>>
>>1408576

Almost constantly. There's some seriously retarded stuff posted there that makes me wonder if people have any sort of reading comprehension
>>
>>1408577
It goes far beyond just lacking reading comprehension
>I have a bright pink jacket, should I wear it to the orientation?
>I don't want to hang out with other JETs, what do I do?
>I can't drink alcohol, what do I do?
>how should I dress outside of work?
>I have anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder, should I apply?
>do I have to declare my year supply of contact lenses to the government?
>>
>>1408576
>>1408577
Soon you'll find 90% of stuff they tell you in the orientation is bs too.
>>
>>1408580

>I'm a paranoid schizophrenic with suicidal tendencies, will I be okay if I go to a remote place in Japan? Don't say "no" because I'm looking for validation

>I shit myself once while on a date, to whom do I report this incident?

>How much money should I bring to the 7-11?

>I can only butt-chug alcoholic beverages, does [Asian country here] have funnels?
>>
File: grug.png (110 KB, 569x450)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
Where get TEFL cert?
Do even need tefl cert?
>>
>>1408649
Online and no, don't need it but it's a nice perk. I got into JET without a TEFL
>>
>>1409036
this is why you idiots always fail
>>
>>1409230
What exactly does TEFL teach that it magically transforms someone into a good teacher?
>>
>>1408576
Yeah, it's kind of demotivating cause it seems like they let a lot of retards into the program. Does that mean I am a retard?
>>
>>1409272
If you're going your shitty online TEFL, nothing, certainly.
>>
>>1409364
going for a shitty***

fuck typing on mobile
>>
>>1409366
Okay, what about in a real class?
>>
>>1409326
The program and the teaching of English in Japan in general is absolutely fucking retarded. Be aware of that before you go; take your expectations and place them on the floor in the basement.
>>
File: RMa-G76x.jpg (36 KB, 600x314)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>1402045
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KY7MBc4zKQ
>>
>>1409444

I'm chiming in but, I think the average 120 hour TEFL course is mostly to make you aware of the key concepts you'll be teaching. For example, checking you know what the present continuous is for, checking that you're aware of the /id/, /t/, and /d/ endings of -ed words, as well as giving you an idea as to how to plan your lessons.

Taught TEFL classes are more useful IMO, actually having demonstrations and practicing IRL is really helpful.

Going into a class for the first time is pretty weird and it takes a while to get used to. I would have paid more attention to my course if I were wiser. A TEFL isn't ultra-essential, but it's going to give you better chances and some foundation to build on. Given that they're reasonably cheap and easy to do, I'd go for an online one with a class-taught segment. I think it should be 120 hour (including a 20 hour taught segment).

>>1409456

I think generally the bar is quite low, especially for large companies / organisations. HESS (the largest cram school employer in Taiwan) generally have a very low bar (no TEFL required). Ultimately, it's not that hard to follow a book and teach a class of 20-30 kids.

I think that's a point to take home with TEFL: the 'typical' position is quite easy (follow the book, do the activities) especially for a native speaker (who maybe has a TA in the room too). You don't often have to think that much or do anything that creative. Most people doing this are just doing it for a year so to extend their laid-back university lifestyle, so it's kind of a match made in heaven.

I didn't find a typical position; I found a position where I teach a mixture of children and adults in small groups or one on one. It's more challenging (some of my friend here literally turn up on time, read from the book, and leave, while I prepare a lot of materials). I think it's more effort but it suits me better.
>>
I am an ALT in Japan but I am noticeably bad, been told I am shy and I don't talk to the kids enough. I am two months in so far...will they fire me...? Or are they desperate. I'm not in bumfuck, but definitely a second or third tier city...Im just not genki...but I wanna stay. I presume Eki would be even harder for me.
>>
>>1410573
Git gud
>>
If I'm from the Netherlands and I want to live in Japan, would English teaching be the best option for me?
>>
>>1410854
Stay where you are.
>>
File: 1527363595251.jpg (211 KB, 2994x1078)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
Going to be starting next week in English First in China. I have never taught children before and my teaching is rather rusty.

I did part time tutoring 1 to 1 but had a pretty les se fair approach with primarily comprehensions to help with vocab and grammar with no real lesson planning beyond basing a lesson around certain topics of a comprehension. Granted the school i tutored had 0 resources but still.

There is on boarding but wouod any of you have advice teaching young children? 4-5 year olds.

Also tips to make it past the 2 month probation?

Cheers in advance
>>
>>1410877
Plan a lot of activities. Children are usually very engaged but you can't count on them to sit still or focus their attention on the same thing for more than 5 minutes. I hope you like kids cause otherwise it can be very tiring.
>>
>>1410877
Should maybe go without saying, but with young kids, getting them to like you will make things way easier.

Doing things like mimicking their noises when they whine about not being chosen for a game, copying the way they pronounce words when they're being lazy/not trying/trying to be funny by saying things wrong works really well for me in terms of getting them laughing.

When you're doing phonics with them, demonstrate how to pronounce the word in an exaggerated and funny way - "LOLLY. LUH LUH- LO-LLY" etc - kind of hard to convey via text. Act like a bit of a clown basically.
>>
How common is it to end up porking one of your students?
>>
>>1411439
Usually a big no, no. But I've done it a few times.
One girl was 18, and the other was a 35 year old woman. There are enough women in the country you teach in to not need to pork a student.
>>
>>1411440
If they come on to you, it's all good then eh? What were the conditions under which you smashed?
>>
>>1407001
Bleh you lived in total isolation for a trash pay cheque, the problem here isn't people complaining it's your own low expectations.
>>
>>1411496
>you lived in total isolation for a trash pay cheque
I lived there because I loved the country, both the urban areas and the countryside. If you're a delusional weeb faggot or the equivalent of a teenage girl trying to "find herself" then just stay home. My expectations are not that low, people just don't adapt to change very well and tend to think their shit experience is the same experience everyone has.
>>
>>1411500
It's people like who you ensure the program remains shit.

They put people into terrible placements, barely making any money and living in shit housing in the middle of nowhere, refusing to make any changes whatsoever because people like you are so complacent and act like no one has any valid reason to be upset when their situation sucks. It's almost like a cult.

Why is it so hard to accept that sometimes the situation sucks, no matter how flexible you like to think you are? I hate it when people like you dismiss anyone who has anything negative to say about the program because you're ok with having a shit life.
>>
>>1406439
I've been teaching English in rural Korea fora year now and still have six months to go, am saving up for a masters degree back home

>but I had to leave for my own mental health
I understand this, in my own case my mental health has been affected by the sheer inability to adapt to such a monolithic and xenophobic culture as Korea. I'm being paid 2,500,000 a month but even that's not good enough to entice me to stay.

After my contract, this country can go fuck itself.

I'e lived in China before as a student and they are so much more friendlier.
>>
>>1411558
The program is shit because it's a low skill job with tons of fresh college students willing to apply. It's not a career and is designed to have a high turnover rate. It's like bitching about working retail.
>>
>>1406439

This post hits close to home. I'm teaching in Taiwan and while I love the country, I fucking despise these cram schools. Parents are either overbearing and want to know why their kids aren't fluent after a month or don't give a shit and send their kids to school in hopes that they might learn something. For example, I had a private student whose father requested a different teacher because I took the last ten minutes of our session to help him with English homework from another class.

I start every teaching day with enthusiasm but its quickly sucked out of me by the lack of effort these kids put in. English teacher, my ass. I'm a glorified babysitter most of the time and it makes me yearn for an actual job when I get home... two more months then never again.
>>
>>1411569
>the sheer inability to adapt to such a monolithic and xenophobic culture as Korea
I love it when shitlibs get hit with reality.
>>
>>1411684
>expecting other cultures to accept you as one of their own just because you live there.
People just don't realize the west is the exception and not the rule. Of course there are places that cater to whites, but it's worse in those places than Asia because you're more likely to get stabbed for the money they think you have loads of.
>>
Is teaching in Korea better than Japan?
>>
I work for a subcontractor. The wage in August isn't enough to even cover food and rent. You WILL be poor if you come to Japan to teach English. Just putting it out there.
>>
Question for those doing the JET programme.

I'm struggling with references, I don't really know anybody despite having a degree etc. What did you do for references and how serious do they need to be?
>>
>>1412436
The point is that you are either outstanding or upstanding enough to have left a lasting positive impression on someone. Take it pretty seriously. Do you have any coworkers or bosses you could ask?
>>
>>1412440
>Do you have any coworkers or bosses you could ask?
That's my current problem, I have all other qualifications except these; I practically gained my degree without any help from those on my course. From the website they seem to require a lot of formality from them, sealed, signed, cannot be hand written etc. I have no idea how long one is supposed to be etc.

The next year I'm focusing entirely on getting these references.
>>
>>1412078

Not much difference. You'll get paid twice as much in Japan but the cost of living is three times as high. Jobs are easier to find in Korea but it really depends which country you're more interested in.
>>
no schooling past high school, online tefl and celta certs, one year of supervising a warehouse and another year of managing a 4 million dollar grocery store/furniture. I'm 21 and white.
what are my chances of walking into multiple schools in Cambodia and becoming a teacher? or would I be severely fucked due to the lack of a college education?
>>
>>1408130
As a romanian i can tell you that the salaries are VERY small, for any kind of teacher, even though foreign language teachers are paid a bit more. (The salary is under 400€ after taxed, per month). BUT there is a lot of money to be made from private courses. The schools are literally there only for you to build up reputation and find students. The programme is shit and there is an entire culture around private lessons. Anyone who want to actually learn something has to do private lessons and that means that after a while, if you are a good teacher, you get to live godly.
Ex. My german teacher makes around 7k € per month at 75, after 30 years of teaching german, 99% of it from private lessons.
>>
>>1408434
>t. Weeb Amerimutt
But in regards to your post
Oslo, Berlin, Helsinki, Riga, Talinn, Amsterdam, Milano, Torino
>>
The guy that said, I just stopped following all the rules in regards to be an ALT in Japan, you are my hero.
>>
Anyone have any experience doing a short term teaching job in Japan with a partner in tow? My wife can basically work from anywhere (software engineer) and earns about 80k so money isn’t really an issue.

Does it make the experience much easier? Is it a bit less lonely?
>>
>>1413495
Yeah you can easily do that. The only problem that would arise is visa issues, but you're married so you're safe there.

I'd definitely feel better about doing JET if I had a significant other in tow; if you're placed in bumfuck inaka with your partner it would be a lot more bearable. Plus your wife can supplement your shitty salary. One thing I would advise you do is try to pressure your contracting organisation to give you a bigger apartment; living in a one-room apartment is ok when you're on your own but I feel like it would get really draining if you had to live with someone else, even if its a loved one.
>>
>>1413785
Also, honestly, fuck the JET Programme. The main draw of it is the 'high' salary, but because your wife earns a decent amount of money, you should just pick a place you like and work for a dispatch company or eikaiwa.
>>
>>1412305
>>1412305

>I work for a subcontractor. The wage in August isn't enough to even cover food and rent. You WILL be poor if you come to Japan to teach English. Just putting it out there.

>>1406430
>>1406430

>(also in Japan) Basically, after I pay for my house, car, internet, and bills, I'm looking at roughly $1,500 a month. Then you gotta factor in food (roughly $100 a week)

Okay, can some people reconcile this for me? I know situations vary, but could any more people teaching in Japan chime in with how much they saved/could have saved after necessary expenses?

I don't mind doing teaching in Japan - even if it gets boring or annoying - if I can save $1250+ a month. That's far more than I could possibly save in the UK for an entry-level job by a long shot. I have about $4k worth of student bank debt I'd like to clear in the next 12-14 months, so if I paid that on a monthly basis I'd need to save spend $400/m on that debt. I could be happy with as little as $100 a month in entertainment expenses, I have a lot of cheap creative hobbies that I can literally do from dawn to dusk so that won't bother me. Which means $500-600 a month saved and I would be stable financially which is more than what I've been so far in life.

Saving $1000+ a month would be mind boggling to me for a job I don't have to climb a ladder to get to. But then >>1412305 says he can hardly get by.

Any more opinions on a ballpark figure for savings? If Japan is too expensive I'd swing to Korea or China.
>>
>>1414588
>$1250+ a month.
Fuck off mate. You get 240,000 for starters about that's about $2400 before anything is payed for then: rent, car, insurance, food, setup costs which it sounds like you don't have and these setups costs don't come back, then your transport, shirts, haircuts ya in la-la land buddy. You may be able to do 1250 US if you are frugal and live in bum fuck and are on Jets 300k, if not your dreaming
>>
China you need certificates and complete ownership for alot better pay. Japan a degree and thrown in there...Korea I don't know
>>
Interact make you film a demo lesson these days is that new? For that pay?
>>
>>1414596
That wasn't my figure. I was quoting >>1406430. He says $1,500 a month after rent, car, internet and bills, then $400 a month on food, leaving $1100. So are you saying he's probably bullshitting or extremely lucky? So what figure would you put on income after essential expenses and taxes?
>>
Does degree grade make much difference or is it just a degree that mainly matters? I botched my degree and only got a 2.2 in STEM.
>>
>>1414759

Fuck no, I work with a bunch of people who either graduated cum laude or barely squeaked by
>>
I'm between jobs and have funds for maybe 2-3 months without work if needed. Could I make it to teaching abroad as my next job? Or am I likely going to need to get a stopgap temp job in between?

In other words does it take quite a bit of time and money and hastle from the first step before you reach your first classroom?

(I have a good degree and am white but have no tefl qualification)
>>
What's Malaysia like for TEFL?

I know the cost of living and food is extremely cheap there and it's in one of the better shapes of the developing countries in the Asia TEFLsphere, but don't hear it discussed much.
>>
File: Vietnam 636.jpg (1.43 MB, 3264x2448)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>1407111
hi, I am >>1402624
recently started my job here in the middle of nowhere.
>Is the pay good?
the pay is less than in a lot of places like Chinese cities ($13/hour), but it is very easy to save up money living in a place like this. However, considering I have no degree, the pay is okay for Vietnam.
Like someone else ITT said about Tokyo, money saved doing TEFL is inversely proportional to quality of life where you are staying (entertainment, convenience etc.)
I have very little convenience, for example there is no hot water, the only hotels available are disgusting, and there are no large shops where you can buy everything you need.
>>1407139
>Just want something for the Visa and kill 20-30 hours a week. I have a year of experience in Japan.
for me, my contract is for around 20 hours a week, but I spend sometimes 10-12 hours a day in the school including planning lessons. For a first timer it is quite a shock as I have very little free time to even eat, and I got ill in my first week however if you have a year's experience maybe you won't be spending as long planning lessons.
The school I am at has not made it easy for me as I am teaching different classes with different age groups and abilities every day with no training, and I have no idea what I need to plan, so I am pretty nervous in classes because of this.
Here's a tip: learn Vietnamese before you go, even if it's just a litlte.
>>
>>1414625
I'm that guy and I got very lucky in that my rent and expenses are relatively low. I know some people who live in the same big city, one paying less than 10,000 yen a month on rent, the other paying around 50,000 yen to live in the same area. The thing about the JET Program is you have no say whatsoever in where you'll end up, and once it's locked in there's nothing you can do about it. You might go wanting to save money and end up in Tokyo.
>>
Is Singapore even worth considering for teaching English?

I'm seeing on the ITA website that there is a demand there, but I know the English is already good there and the cost of living is higher. Still seems you can save similiar to what you would save in Japan though.

Is it just a bit more competitive or is it literally unviable?
>>
Just wondering if there's any discrimination against someone who has been working post-college for a few years (maybe like 5) first. Assuming all else is good with the candidate. I'd rather go with a nice stack of savings in the bank and much of my student debt paid down first, rather than go and be in poverty.
>>1408179
If you have all that time with nothing to do, can you study nipponese? Or is it frowned upon?
>>1408434
NYC.
>>
>>1402116

Depends on the age range. If younger than college students, your job is to impress the parents. Theatrics is more important than credentials.

In China, you gotta marriage material, blonde white, and have an American accent to have success at freelancing.

There's already tons of IRL and online options for students and parents to choose from.
>>
What do you do for lesson plans? They seem to take many times more time than the lengrh of the lesson. Like 4-5 hours to do one lesson plan for a 1.5 hour lesson. Any ACTUAL GOOD resources out there which basically detail everything for you?
>>
>>1415530
First year of teaching is always like this. Once you have experience, materials, etc. it gets a lot easier
>>
How does the JET program place its participants? And if it's possible to tell, how do other TEFL programs place?

Is it random allocation, quality of your performance in the interviewing process, or does your qualifications/degree prestige influence where you get put?

Just wondering why some people have ended up in Tokyo and some in random backwater villages.
>>
>>1415537
I'm only planning to do this for half a year and I already hate it
>>
Dollar for dollar, is a CELTA worth it? Will it save you a lot of headaches and open a decent amount of extra opportunities as opposed to trying to teach without any TEFL at all?

I'd rather get a decent qualification than some bogus cheap one, but since so many people are saying you don't even need a TEFL, is there much to gain? Almost zero teaching experience here.
>>
I just got offered a new contract but I've come to realize that I don't really want to be teaching English. Maybe I'll go on to Australia for a bit.

>>1415530
What are you talking about? You have 90 minutes. What contingencies are you possibly planning for? Just pick a shitload of activities and go from there. 10 minutes basic conversation, 10 minutes workbook, 5 minutes dialogue practice with people in front of the class, then write skits, etc. Look up some examples; it's not like no one has ever taught a class of a similar size and level.
>>
2 months into being an ALT and boy does this suck. The entire staff was standing in the rain today waiting for me, because I was 5minutes early, not 30. The kids are kindof out of control, nobody talks to me and the JTEs get me to do the lesson, then say I acted too shy. Maybe it I wasn't doing 4 50minutes lessons back to back on a months experience it would be good. They do not plan, hell one of them spends most of English class talking shit in Japanese. The kids of course have no hope to learn English, anyway, think carefully about working here!
>>
>>1415939

Don't feel bad, my dude. You'll find a lot of people feel disappointed from the get-go. I'm doing my TEFL jazz in Taiwan and although it isn't as bad as your situation, I'm looking forward to going home as soon as my contract is up.

Traveling is great and all but some days the headache is just not worth it when it comes to these goddamned kids
>>
>>1415970
It's just so awkward...
>>
Starting my TEFL course in HCM in a week hope it goes well
>>
>>1415939
>not being genki
Go back to your basement you pleb
>>
I posted earlier in this thread.
The best thing about living in Japan is the girls, the people, the food, the safeness, and the cleanliness.
Im satisfied with my job here. I recently met an incredible girl who Ive fallen head over heels in love with.
My biggest problems are totally personal. I drink too much, smoke too much, dont exercise, and dont eat healthily. Outside of my own personal issues, I cant seriously complain about my job. Its easy, its not stressful, Im free to come up with my own stuff for lessons and no ones breathing down my neck about it. The majority of students are really nice.
I dont know yet if i can ever consider it a serious occupation. Whilst its easy, it doesnt feel fulfilling. Every job I did in the UK was crap in comparison, but I dont feel like its what I want to do with my life.
I would be wary of what jobs you apply for in Japan. From speaking to my friends, Interac sounds crap. But it also seems like they will hire anyone. I think I got lucky with my placement.
Tbh, this girl im with at the moment seriously seems perfect for me. If I wind up marrying her, I'll most likely stay here. That might sound dumb to some people, but all i really want right now is companionship/someone to come home to. I find the hardest part about living in Japan is loneliness.
>>
>>1416006
I dunno where this idea that Japanese girls are so great came from... The ones in my city are either tedious bugpeople or whores. The ones with actual personalities tend to be expats.
>>
For all you people saying you're looking forward to coming back... is it still preferable to working in starbucks or retail, or do you literally mean you'd rather be working in some store than teaching those kids?

Would you want to come back if you had no hope of getting your dream career working and would probably end up in some crappy job?
>>
>>1416378
Why can't you just continue doing TESOL in your home country?
>>
Does anyone here actually like teaching? I love it and actually kind of want to become a teacher for good now. Everyone seems to hate it though.
>>
Does working at a school or an Eikaiwa work better for someone with mild social anxiety? I know Eikaiwas allow anyone with a pulse and I am tall and white.
>>
>>1416378
A crappy job in my country pays really well, with no responsibility
>>
>>1416785
I do. I always wanted to be a teacher. When I get back from teaching/backpacking Asia I am going to become one back home in the US.

>>1416378
Probably because some people do in fact have aspirations and plans and hope to achieve them?
>>
>>1416788
If you have social anxiety, do you really want a job where your job is to essentially be mocked for cash.
>>
>>1416378
Teaching is too stressful. I'd rather get paid for the amount of work I do rather than having to spend just as long to plan every lesson in my free time.

It is normal to not get paid for planning time as an English teacher, right???
>>
>>1416785
Interacting with the kids, especially outside of class, is super rewarding. But everything else is so fucking tedious...

I work in Japan and I could never be a "real" teacher; all the extra shit they have to do here is absolutely ridiculous.
>>
Does anyone think it's be easy to get testosterone in sk? Like if I go to a doctor and just ask for some and show those labels that we get on prescriptions in the USA. I don't produce hormones so I definitely have a medical issue. It's not on the list of medication they ban so would it be okay to just not delcare a new container and just have the docs with it in case they go what's that at customs?
Japan for example is super tough on that and you can't even bring in some without filling a form out and getting it approved.

Any help would be great even if it's someone trying to bring unprescribed roids.
>>
>30 years old
>attractive
>minimal student loans
>senior in college
>Military experience
>In good shape
>$5k in savings

I know it's likely that I get a hot waifu in asia, but what about a euro slut?
>>
>>1417719
>but what about a euro slut
There aren't too many but it is definitely possible. Euro girls who travel tend to be massive sluts so if you find a place where there's a few of them you're almost guaranteed to get laid. Provided that you aren't an autist of course.
>>
>>1417084

>It is normal to not get paid for planning time as an English teacher, right???

That's correct, you only get paid for the hours you teach. This is bullshit if you ask me, but then again, I didn't write the contracts
>>
>>1416378

That's a risk people are willing to take. TEFL is a good time but it's not something everyone can do forever. In fact, the only people I've encountered that have done it for a long time have absolutely ZERO intentions on reaching any higher in life
>>
>aim to teach for 1 year in S. Korea
>aim to then try for Japan and teach there from then on

Is this a solid plan? Japan appeals to me the most, but all the arrangements seem to be easier for Korea and you're more likely to earn quite a bit more money. Looking around, people are saying they work you hardest in Japan, and therefore it'd be better to have experience so you're ready for it. Plus the money saved from Korea would then help with the possibly expensive and awkward startup costs in Japan.

Will experience help with commanding a better wage in Japan too, or is 1-2 years not going to make much difference?

I plan on getting the CELTA this summer.
>>
Is it worth being fired from my job as an ALT or just resigning.

My work visa is my own, which is correct isn't it in Japan?

They helped me with my apartment so I assume they keep that cancellation fee.

I am thinking of simply leaving when I get my next pay, just packing up and going.

One school continually complains about me, but the company hasn't formally warned me yet. I am going to give eikaiwa a try, if that is also shit and they don't like me I will go home.

I am reasonably good looking though so perhaps Eikai might be better. Japan is great, but this job is hell.

Anybody have a way out for me? Get fired but then they might withold pay, wait for them to fire me...I am not in bumfuck, but not far from. OR just quit which I am on the verge of everyday.
>>
>>1418111

Why is it hell anon? Are you in rural or urban?
>>
>>1418118
>>1418111
I also want to hear your experience. Are you the guy that posted in a previous thread about the school constantly bitching at you?
>>
>>1418191
Yeah, so school hates me. I work an extra day entirely 4 extra a month for about 800 -1000 USD less. There isn't enough money to put anything away. I've spent about 3k setting up. Gas, deposits, phone, food, furniture clothes pegs...everything you could possibly imagine I have no time to lift, my weight is the same but I'm turning chubby, my food allergy cannot be understood it managed, no blinds and the sun comes up at 4am. Interrupted sleep every single night. No pay for 1 month and a half picking at my savings which is meant to be for travel, that's why I got a job so I didn't have too touch them. Refused a bank account after waiting 3 hours. Dispatch company constantly contacts me outside hours. Teachers don't lesson plan, every lesson is a panick about filling in time and they shift it all onto me. Did I mention they hate me and you can't change first impression because it's Japan! Dating and exploring the country of course is going pretty well, but not sure how much I can take. Oh and it's gonna cost me more money in addition to the setup shit to leave! Boom. That's all I can think of for the moment. I have an American friend who loves it and is never leaving. He worked minimum wage back in the states so every individual has a different situation. For him it's Japan and a pay rise and he got a good school so bam. Everything from my bed to my TV to my lack of a car is downgraded.
>>
>>1418211

Is this post a good example of why people hate TEFL teachers? Is this what happens when weaboos who can't take care of themselves end up in Japan?
>>
>>1418272
>Is this what happens when weaboos who can't take care of themselves end up in Japan
Why do you say? I've never done Japan so I don't know if this guys experience is normal or if it's just a case of a total sperg trying to justify his autism hurting him.
>>
>>1418335

If you're having a hard time where you're living, for a normal adult it's because the general essentials of day to day life in your current setup are failing: the trains in your town are exceptionally poor, your place of work is hard to get to, your water supply is poor, the general townsfolk or city people where you live are not nice, your employers are not nice, there's a lack of young people within 30 miles, you have poor access to services. You might also complain of a few more general stuff like your scenery is bad, your flat is bad, your shower is bad, although you know you can find ways to solve these without wanting to ditch your town or country.

Most of his post he's complaining that he's spent too much, he's getting fat, he's getting allergies, the sun is too bright in the morning, he got paid a bit late cutting into his so important travel plans, it'll cost him even more money to leave, he had a nicer bed and TV before! And those things are contributing to making his lfe hell. In other words, a bunch of stuff that a normal adult would either solve or not care much about because it's petty. You can smell the manchild off his post.

This is why locals and /trv/ people don't like english teachers, they turn up in a place and then start whinging because it's not all manga and ramen and they had a comfier setup back home, then they act miserable, give westerners a bad name or tell other westerns not to go because it's shit.

I don't mean to be mean but if he has uprooted his life and moved to Japan and then is upset about having a less good TV and the sun comes up earlier then he needs to reassess his life.
>>
>>1418374
>then they act miserable, give westerners a bad name or tell other westerns not to go because it's shit.
This. I would be interested to know how many of the "stay home" posts are made by the same people. I liked Japan a lot. Maybe they just have never had a serious job before and didn't realize they would spend so much time actually working. I'm sure a lot of young people going over think that it's just going to be a year long vacation.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1514770149909.jpg (66 KB, 1080x858)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>passed phone interview
>passed demo lesson
>skype interview coming up

Any advice Interac lads?
>>
>>1418374
Nice
>>
>>1412587
Honestly lad just give it a go.
>>
>>1410573
You gotta practice confidence my man. Sounds like a Dad-tier meme but the more you open up, be loud, embarrass yourself, the more naturally energy and social cohesion comes to you. Literally be yourself, do a dance you pussy fuck ""dignity"" off.
>>
>>1418374
accurate, sadly
>>
ITT: People who never lived in Japan tell you all about it.
>>
>>1418272
Do you really think shitty employers don't exist in Japan? Like, for fuck sake, you're the weeaboo here...
>>
>>1418506
This, honestly.

Japan is a 2nd world shithole.
>>
>>1418392
Well I crushed that interview I feel. Pretty shit to know they're forwarding all of my stuff to a "hiring team" to make the final decision. Now it all hangs in the balance I suppose.
>>
>>1418532
So you still haven't learned what second world means huh?
>>
Any good places for people without degrees?
>>
>>1418392
Just read every single document, every single email they send you and do and say exactly as you are instructed to. That is all they want. Be energetic, look professional, be clean shaven. And seriously, just memorize everything they have given you in their emails and attached documents. Even the demo lesson, the hardest part, they give you example videos, and here is the secret - LITERALLY copy one of them EXACTLY and you are golden.

They want anybody who can follow rules and do what they are told, while appearing at least on a surface level to be stable and professional.

Only people who didn't get offers at my seminar was one kid who was a complete joke, showed up late, didnt have his demo lesson prepared, and was the classic loser back home trying to run away, and one indian guy who had no personality and bad english skills.
>>
>>1418607
McDonald's
>>
>>1418607

Retail. Service industry. Grave.
>>
I'm not sure about Asia but teaching English in EU isn't really worth it.

I have taught highschool English for awhile in France and can barely get by with rent and food each month. The cost of living is just too damn high in the cities and you aren't compensated for the time it takes to plan lessons.

Is this any better in other parts of the world? I hear South Korea is the mecca for English teaching as they can set you up with company apartments and pay 6 figure salaries for fulltime positions.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1418778
6 figures? don't be an idiot. do you even understand the meaning of that
>>
>>1418817

do you think I'm referring to teaching highschoolers? sorry I didn't elaborate

I mean the more lucrative teaching positions, like corporate trainers and company english coaching etc. I hear that teaching english in school is still highly paid in SK though, probably more than anywhere else in the world
>>
Would I need TEFL/TESOL to teach in Eastern Europe? I have no preference as to where in Eastern Europe, I just need a change in my life.

Anyone have experience teaching in Eastern Europe?
>>
>>1418819
delusional
>>
>>1418955

Productive post, thanks bud
>>
Pretty fucking pissed with Interac right now. Asked for august placement, got october. I asked if i could get my visa sorted out earlier, like with the August departures. I have been extremely mindful getting them everything they need as soon as possible, they literally have all my visa documents right now.

Their response: No. Even though we have everything we wont even begin processing it until August.

Fuckers.
>>
>>1419360
you asked. they couldn't comply

fucking stay home. idiots like you are the reason the entire industry is full of idiots complaining about every single fucking thing and companies have staffing issues

you're going to be miserable
>>
>>1419411
>fucking stay home.
I guarantee that most of the stay home posters are those same people who complained about every single thing and were miserable.
>>
>>1419422
the nigger is literally complaining that HR couldn't hire him earlier. imagine the kind of dumb nigger he has to be to be calling htem fuckers. he almost certainly is an idiot and has some fucking english degree

they have no obligation to hire him at all let alone on his preferred schedule. the person he is replacing probably leaves in october and he meets the criteria for that individual contractor.

yet he is calling them fuckers. dumb nigger needs to stay at home
>>
>>1418778
>>1418817
>>1418819
Yes, six figures as in six figures of Korean won
>>
>>1419411
>>1419425
What the hell is wrong with you? Am i supposed to be happy? You seem completely insane. What kind of basis do you have for anything you just said? Holy shit. Im the problem, im not going to make it, i should stay home just because i am unhappy i am leaving later and have to sit waiting for the next couple months with no updates? That is a normal fucking reaction, freak.

With the way you responded to me and other posters i pray that it is you who never leaves home for the good of everybody on the fucking planet, you lunatic.
>>
>>1419425
Seriously, you think i dont understand that? I accept whatever they give me. I completely understand how this works. Yet I am not happy about. That is normal. I can completely understand something, accept something, and still be slightly upset about it. Is that so hard for you to understand???????
>>
Your not allowed to wear deodorant, about to be fired for not impersonating movie characters. My friend had one class today I had 5 and they have sent off about their 5th complaint about me. Gotta hand that doco with two hands. School is everything. There is way worse ALTS than men I saw them at induction! My school has fucked me.
>>
>>1419411
>>1419422
In addition to everything else i said. You are freaking out about the word fuckers and then continue to go on an insane mentally ill rant cursing left and right and calling people niggers like a 12 on /pol/.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?
>>
Best European/Asian countries to teach in? Looking for a healthy balance between fun but within reason of not being a JET poorfag in Tokyo

t. Australian teacher with 3 years experience.
>>
>>1419500
>>1419502
>>1419504
they are not fuckers. I can't imagine a more unhealthy manner to react to normal fucking employment procedure than you did

can you honestly justify calling them fuckers

I've seen you stupid niggers spend your entire paycheck on alcohol then yell at the boss for not giving you an advance

justify your attitude or fuck off nigger. people have been calling people niggers on 4chin for more than a decade. go back to your tranny subleddit you child

no, you aren't permitted to be angry at them.
>>
>>1419512
europe? none

asia? probably vietnam or thailand

if you are a real teacher you could try hk or sing, but you're gonna need more than 3 years, and hopefully be licensed for math, not something useless like english
>>
Will I always be with other ALTs in Japan? I hear about some people getting placed in super rural areas and I'm wondering if there won't be any other gajins nearby? Tbh I'm also not that into asian girls so I'm really hoping there are some western grills.
>>
>>1419701
Are you insane?
>>
Thinking about teaching English abroad while doing a master's in public health (meme degree, but I need the padding to get into a good doctoral program).

Anyone here done the same or know someone who has? I'll have a bachelor's degree from a well-known American university as well as a TESOL certificate from a reputable organization. I'd much rather spend a year or two being a poorfag student in Colombia or Mexico than a year or two being a poorfag wageslave student in the United States. Plus, Spanish is one of the two languages I want to master before turning 30 (the other being Hindi--I used to live in India).

Advice or pro tips would be appreciated. The only concern I have is whether I can keep up with my meme degree's course load while working as an Engrish teacher in Latin America.

Are employers willing to sponsor visas for qualified candidates (e.g., with a bachelor's and TESOL cert.) who only want to work part-time? I earn enough money from writing that I think I could get away with doing that.
>>
Just as a head's up to anyone interested:

August is usually the time companies look to hire a lot more teachers, consider applying now for an early look
>>
>>1419717
The more remote the place, the more possible that you are the only ALT there. Or, the closest ALT is too far for you guys to be able to meet up conveniently.
>>
>>1419812
Is it more or less likely to end up that way?
>>
So I’m currently set to go to law school on the fall, but I’ve always been interested in teaching English in japan. My wife and I just got back from a three week vacation and I fell in love.

If I only wanted to do it for a year, just as a break between undergrad and law school is this doable, or do the programs prefer that you want to do a longer stint?

Thanks!

On a side note, I speak decent Japanese and know about 1000 kanji, so I wouldn’t be completely lost.
>>
>>1419726
no, but you literally are. its like you think you're entitled to anything you desire and you feel the authority to call nyone not giving it to you a fucker

just fyi most offices you cannot refuse overtime. have fun being miserable you idiot
>>
>>1419834
Just apply to any eikaiwa. JET makes you jump through way too many hoops for a slightly higher salary
>>
>be me
>young, no degree, no experience, no friends, no work permit
>job in vietnam, middle of nowhere
>$13/ hour teaching
>I work 7:30-11:00 and 18:00-21:15 every day
>hate it
how do I unfuck myself here?
>>
Can a Spanish dude with an English major teach abroad?

Spanish teaching jobs are scarce in Asia, and if you want to teach English you must be a native speaker.
>>
>>1407060
Sorry to crush your dreams, but if you're non-native, you will be fighting a very tough fight. Good luck, because you mentally have what it takes.
>>
>>1408216
Write a complete request next time or go research it yourself.
>>
>>1419834
No, you didn't fall in "love". Neither you or your childless wife "love" or even know the first thing about Japan after 3 weeks, or the world for that matter. With that out of the way, good on you for studying up on your Kanji.
>>
>>1419894
China will take anyone, especially in the interior provinces.
>>
>>1419847
What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you not understand what I said? That I completely understand that and accept it? Do you just not have emotions or something? Are you a robot? Autistic? People have emotions and at the time I was slightly disappointed, is that really beyond your comprehension?
>>
>>1413785
>>1413788
Thanks for the advice. I'm probably gonna go for an eikaiwa.

Speaking of which will having a TEFL qualification give me the edge if I'm just going for a eikaiwa?

I have about 2 years until I can move anyways so I thinking I might just go for it.
>>
>>1419963
*I think I might
>>
File: 1528305324103.jpg (27 KB, 240x324)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Just started teaching in Taiwan here
>Mfw I got a job with 0 (zero, zilch, nada) experience or qualifications
>No interview
>Just replied to an ad on Facebook and showed them my Australian passport
>Get paid twice the average salary
>The local co teacher does more work than me anyway, I'm just there to be a white face
>Meanwhile local girls cream themselves over a rugged handsome foreigner while the men look on in envy
I guess this is what they call white privilege
>>
>>1419937
you being disappointed is no reason to call someone a fucker. that is the behavior of a child.

I completely understand it. it is the behavior of a child

you acting like a child does not make me autistic
>>
Is teaching languages abroad only something that Anglos can do? I'm German and have a Masters of Arts (and even a bachelor in English)
>>
>>1419937
just drop it and grow up you stupid cunt
>>
File: asiansanddeer.jpg (202 KB, 650x522)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>1420058

As far as I know, in Taiwan and SK, it is native speaker only. In other places it varies, but in general, any white people can teach.

Not a personal anecdote, just what I've seen posted around.
>>
>South Korea can result in savings up to $1500 a month

Are there ways to bring savings in Japan closer to what can be achieved in Korea? Could savings up to $1000-$1200 a month be achievable in Japan including Tokyo? For example, are there better-paying teaching jobs, such as private schools and institutions or just higher-responsibility positions, that could allow you to get into this bracket once you have more experience/qualifications/good performance etc? Would being able to speak good/fluent Japanese unlock more higher pay opportunities?
>>
>>1420058
depends. in general, they're not fucking dumb. your accent isn't the same, and in general you aren't going to really understand the details of the grammar even if you have a tesol, and even if you're a native speaker.

they're paying more for the chance to engage and mimic the accent and gamble on someone not being a dumb loser that has no education (bad odds)

for people that are educated, the sky can be the limit in terms of pay. for for the average joe, you're asking takashi to pay like, 30 an hour to talk to some random non-native dude?

there isn't really a good reason for takeshi to do that if you're not specifically educated to do so

you might get a job, but it probably isn't going to be a great one
>>
>>1420068
>>1420075

I wasn't thinking about English but German
>>
>>1420078
there is a limited industrial demand for it, falling rapidly as your home country becomes incapable of even teaching immigrating people to read

because of the incredibly limited demand, they're going to be asking you to have formal teaching under your belt, and a comprehensive command of the grammar, in the sense of formal instruction. a masters in an unrelated degree is unlikely to have imparted that

german, cn, and kr are about the only foreign langs that carry currency, and in many cases if you aren't already a professional in the field, it'll be part time

you might consider checking out the market in korea or china if this is your only relevant skillset. china is so fucking huge there is some demand, in some form, for almost everything just due to the supply curve
>>
>>1420078

Nobody wants to speak German, so no. There's only two languages that matter in an international economy sense, English and (soon) Chinese.
>>
Anybody got any good resources and links for a new thread's OP? This is a popular topic on /trv/.
>>
>>1419874
why can't you teach in the city ?
>>
>>1420088

>not including French
>world diplomatic language
>10x more useful than Mandarin
>>
>>1420406

Nobody will give a fuck about French either. Anywhere where French is used in an international diplomacy/economic sense, English will do instead. English won't do in place of Mandarin though.

Unless you actually want to go and be a diplomat or worker in some Francophone colony, but what Asians have that as their ambition.
>>
>>1420406
french is literally only used outside of france in the shittiest countries on the planet. are you a fucking nigger you retard?
>>
>>1420493

Except it is also spoken as a native language in Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Quebec Canada, Monaco, Laos and Cambodia not just Africa

Educate yourself you ignorant pleb
>>
>>1420406
I've never encountered a french speaker in a first world country outside of France that didn't speak English.
>>
>>1420798
They often try to pretend to not know English so it can seem like less know it than actually do. I guess they're just butthurt that they had to learn it. With the rise of Chinese it doesn't seem like you'll be able to call French the world diplomatic language for very long. They had a really good run though.
>>
The job sucks, almost 12 hours door to door for me, took a paycut and the SETUP costs never end, protein powder, vitamins, furniture, curtains, fridges, chairs, washing machines, pegs jesus fuck, Ya getting paid fucking $2400 a month. Closing in on $4000 setup fees for me and we are still one entire month from payday. TRANSPORT my god that will fuck you a train you dumb fuck. You will get fucked by transport for almost 2 moths straight daily until you see your pittance of $2400. Yeah teaching English in Japan sucks.
>>
The setup money and garbage futon and furniture I had to buy etc could of been used to finance airbnbs and another 2 months holiday.
>>
>>1420790
>french
>native language in indochina
Otherwise correct.
>>
I'm thinking about going down the teaching in Japan route and one of my biggest concerns is the heat. I already sweat a lot despite not being fat and not even a metric fuckton of baby powder on my taint/ass would save me in 30-35C with high humidity. From what I gather, the northern parts are more manageable but if apply through JET I have 0 control of where I'm placed anyways.

How did you guys manage with the heat? The only solution I can come up with is commuting to work in 1 pair of clothes and then using wet wipes to clean off before changing into work attire. Does this sound feasible? Though if the school has no AC I'll just end up drenched within half an hour anyways, especially if they require more formal attire.
>>
>>1421192
>>1418211
How the FUCK are these people teaching English? The sentence structure of your entire posts are so utterly horrible.
>>
>>1421338
They're nips trying to convince white piggu not to go to Japan.
>>
>>1421338
The fact you think sentence structure is prerequisite just shows you have in fact never taught English anywhere. What are you even doing here you? Ya spastic. There are many loser Americans in Japan who have never had any personal or professional success in Japan and they need to stay the fuck home.
>>
Any advice for a lazy ALT. One of my JTEs insists that I need a whole lesson to myself and I need to have input etc. The truth is I want a paid vacation and anything outside a speaking audio recording is an inconvenience and annoyance. I know there are many lazy ALTS.
>>
>>1421192
Just leave dude, Japan is a huge fucking meme. The quality of life is shit for REGULAR Japs, let alone a gaijin. At best you'll marry some boring Jap bint with the personality of a sheet of seaweed paper, live together in a poorly-built shoebox and either run a gaijin bar or an eikaiwa. The longer you stay there, the more of an insect you turn into, until before long you're defending 12 hour work days and key money. Everyone I have met with a fucking personality has lived overseas and wants to get out asap too. I would only recommend living in Japan to 3rd worlders, but from those that I've spoken to, even they hate it.

Can't wait to fucking leave.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.