[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: w1000_q65.jpg (184 KB, 915x609)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
アイアンパンダ edition

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese. What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/
Note that most of these companies are owned by the same group so behave.

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up >>1398440
>>
>>1402136
JAL vs ANA
which one should I choose?
I've never used either of them.
>>
>>1402186
Flying from Los Angeles to Japan if it matters***

Also, while at it

Narita or Haneda?
>>
>>1402136

Hey, I have a question. Why the fuck are you using a photo of China for a Japan General thread?

OP confirmed for being an autist that thinks every Asian country is the same.
>>
>>1402246
How would you even know that it's in China?
>>
File: gordon.jpg (53 KB, 496x644)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1402300

Hey you, fuck the Halifax Regional Police
Officers over here right now!
>>
File: 1510965614556.png (1.96 MB, 1920x1080)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB PNG
I'm going to be in Tokyo from May 21st-29th and then going to Osaka from the 29th-2nd. Could you guys recommend any good onsens in or around tokyo? I don't mind taking a train out of the city to get a good one out in nature I just want a quality comfy onsen.
>>
>>1402307
That depends, like what's you're price ranges at?
>>
>>1402186
whichever's cheaper? They're both exponentially better than taking some chink airline
>>
>>1402317
Negligible price difference, which is why I'm asking.
>>
>>1402307
Hakone, duh.
>>
What is there to do in Tokyo after having seen the sights and did everything there?
>>
>>1402324
Go to Nagano, Matsumoto, and Kanazawa.
>>
>>1402319
Pick the nigger by its toe then.
>>
>>1402311
No price range just want to go to a quality onsen.
>>
>>1402346
Either Hakone or Kusatsu Onsen.
>>
>>1401891
Should I cancel my flight through Air China and spend a few hundred more for Air Canada? (I think it was something like $821 vs $1100 USD.)
>>
Just went to japan last week for fourth time.
First time in Tokyo since 2012. Wow, tons of southeastern asians and chinese everywhere, also lots of white people too since i last remembered. Lots of foreigner staff at shops too. Way more than I remember since I last saw. I went to one area of Tokyo and I thought I was in the phillipines or vietnam. Walking down the street there were a bunch of nobheads in mario costumes driving go karts. Its like because of the 2020 olympics japanese government has decided to turn tokyo into one big amusment park
>>
>>1402349
Air Canada isn't great but it has to be damn better than these chinese airlines. You'll probably get a much more direct flight as well
>>
>>1402349
Only if you're actually getting your money back and not having to pay another several hundred in cancellation fees on top of it.
>>
What are some fun things that you can do in Tokyo that isn't too expensive?
For now I only have comiket , akihabara,shibuya shopping and the robot cabaret in kabukicho
>>
>>1402300
Chinese characters in the picture.
>>
>>1402409
Cheapotokyo, taking it you are going during august so just look for the plethora of events happening nightly
>>
>>1402346
You really shouldn't spend too much on an onsen anon, you're just paying for an expensive hot bath/hot tub without the bubbles. If it isn't attached to a inn/resort enjoy gobs of tourists of japs in their 40-60's all making shitty jokes
>>
Gundam Front was closed down? Was it replaced with anything?
>>
I would like to visit a maid cafe once just to say that I did, but i'm travelling alone and the idea of doing those ritual things is really embarrassing to me.
Are there any maid cafes in akihabara where I wouldn't need to do one of those 'moe moe kyun~' rituals, and just see the maids do their thing + cutesy food?
>>
>>1402463
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gundam_Base_Tokyo
nevermind, I'm retarded
>>
>>1402464
>Are there any maid cafes in akihabara where I wouldn't need to do one of those 'moe moe kyun~' rituals, and just see the maids do their thing + cutesy food?

Those are all of them in aki, just go to maid dreaming for the middle of the roadest maid experience. Just don't expect the food to be great, like any maid cafe, it's the experience not the food
>>
>>1402464
Cure Maid is supposedly quite a bit more subdued compared to the standard flashy ones.
>>
Wheres the closest to tokyo thats a bit cold? Im going june so its summer but i wanna go somewhere a bit colder. Is mt fuji the closest one?
>>
>>1402471
Nagano is coolest unless you are actually climbing fuji, it's not that cool till the peak
>>
>>1402472
Im checking weather there and its just the same with tokyo?
>>
>>1402490
It's higher elevation and generally cooler than tokyo, but you said somewhere close so... Can't help too much Fuji is cool but you can't climb it much, the caves might be cold still.

Keep in mind a lot of tempature stuff depends on whatever is blowing off the pacific and off of korea. I was there in august Nagano was a fair bit cooler than tokyo by quite a bit in humidity too. Kamakura is to the south with enoshima, has a strong ocean wind so that might be coolerish
>>
>Osaka to Himeji in Google Maps
>1h+
>searches say it takes 30 minutes via Hikari
Is the former picking up only some slower lines or what?
>>
>>1402503
Are you doing it from Shin Osaka station-> Himeji, or just from Osaka google will add in walking times and trains to get to major stations by default.

Quickest I see is 30 min and that's probably Nozomi lines not covered by JR. It's fair to say it will be about an hour

Keep in mind there is Shin osaka station and Osaka station
>>
>>1402495
I wanna go to fuji but not climb it. Just to do something touristy. But yes hoping for a cold weather too. Ill research on where is better to go
>>
>>1402506
Not really going to get too much cold weather in june. It's going to be mid 20's which was cool for me, but I know europeans and canadias who couldn't stand anything about 22C
>>
>>1402505
Even purely the train ride is 1h in GMaps. Adding walks it's closer to 1h45m.
>>
>>1402507
Lmao im from south east asia we never get to 22 hahha. Im gonna freeze to death with that weather.

But would fuji be a good choice?
>>
File: train.png (731 KB, 1510x696)
731 KB
731 KB PNG
>>1402510
Again I am not sure what station you are using, bullet train or normal train, so hard to give an answer here. If you just put in Osaka to Himeji it will assume osaka station, walk from town center->train->walk to town center.

>>1402511
Fuji is nice sight most of the snow will be gone-ish, but you can still have a good time around the five lakes in fuji
>>
Is Japan in July worth it? I heard it was incredibly hot and humid, but I've travelled Gambia and Egypt around the same time so it can't be quite that bad
>>
>>1402521

The only people I've met who say that shit are from EU/Canada/UK/Los Angeles or some similar place in the world. It's about 90F/30C during the day, with about 75-85% humidity, as long as you know how to not be a dumbass (don't wear dark clothes, drink water not soda, have a vitamin in the morning, rest, etc). You're fine. Though do keep in mind many hostels only have swamp coolers not AC units, so smaller hostels may be a bit uneasy a rest at night depending on your habits
>>
>>1402523
How often does it rain in summer?
>>
>>1402523
I think the issue is more whether it's worth travelling then, as you're somewhat slower and there's more breaks.
>>
Are there any benefits to going in Japan in July, compared to spring or fall, other than fitting better in your schedule?
>>
>>1402136
Call of duty!
>>
>>1402523
Im going june and google says high 26 and low 19. 26 is actually cold here already so im confused why theyre saying its hot?
>>
>>1402524
off and on, I was there last summer right after a typhoon blew through and for a good while nothing during the day some at night though.

>>1402525
I found just dressing in lighter clothes that breathe, drinking water regularly, and stepping indoors for say 5 minutes every now and then when possible, while not planning for far too much was fine. Got to see like 90% of everything I wanted to last summer, even a few unexpected things at the beaches. Dress appropriately, plan realistically, and use brain

>>1402526
Can't think of anything that would make july stick out over august or spring/fall
>>
>>1402529
Thanks, that's helpful. Shouldn't have worried too much. Are there any places to avoid in the summer/places to see that are best in the summer, like going into the mountains?
>>
>>1402528
Depends on where you're from, obviously. If you're from northern Europe or North America you might be used to much cooler temperatures.
>>
>>1402532
Im from manila so everyday is hot. Average is always 30 but i think around 26 is already a bit cold
>>
File: IMG_20180430_113556.jpg (5.17 MB, 3968x2976)
5.17 MB
5.17 MB JPG
>>1402528
Again, depends where you are from 26C for someone in Germany, Scandinavia, UK, or Canada might look at that as death. I know one friend had heat stroke last summer when we were traveling, he was from norway, and didn't know any of the basics for dressing in the summer in japan. It was "dark shirt, jeans, long hair, etc" and when he got thirsty it was soda over water, which just added onto problems.

>>1402531
Hida section is really nice, most the ice capped mountains when I was there last week. gero is known for onsens if that is your thing, I was just fine with hiking and chilling in some cool(note: very cold) rivers.
>>
>>1402350
it's called globalism, newfriend. It would have happened regardless of the Olympics
>>
File: 1386115267019.gif (392 KB, 227x216)
392 KB
392 KB GIF
Is anyone else going to be in Japan in mid June? Myself and another Anon are looking for some more people to get together and do some stuff in Tokyo. If you're interested add me on discord here: Underabove#8816
>>
>>1402528
26 is nothing during the summer in Japan. It's in late July and August where it gets really hot and humid.
>>
>>1402570
It hits 30-33 big deal, if you're from the US that's about average
>>
Anyone here been to Kumamato or have lived there? I'll be going there for work and I want some opinions on how life is like there.
>>
I need some of your wise help folks.
I plan on doing a bit of a round trip before heading back to Tokyo the plan was to go from :

Narita Airport->Yokohama->Fuji Q->Mt Fuji->Hakone->Kamakura

However I just noticed a issue and that Mt Fuji to Hakone is a pain in the ass... if anyone could help me fix my route that would be nice also what kind of pass would be helpful to get?
>>
What's the live music scene like in Tokyo? Specifically thinking of the smaller sized venues here. Lately I'm really enjoying seeing bands in 50-150 capacity places, and I wonder if I'd have a cool experience doing something similar in Japan?

Fan of rock, metal, psych, folk, blues - I'll give most things a crack aside from EDM
>>
>>1402136
>Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese

When I went to Roppongi after the clubs they would literally physically stop me and try and get me to have sex with them,,, No Japanese required haha
>>
>>1402629
>he doesn't know
>>
I was thinking about teaching english for a class in Kyoto. Do any of you guys have any suggestions for me on the steps of teaching in Japan only for now?
>>
>>1402685
Bump
>>
>>1402629
>he doesn't know

lmfao.
You poor soul.
Ignorance truly is bliss.
>>
>>1402691
Not that guy, but what does he not know? Were those traps or what?
>>
What's Himeji like, I want to visit the Castle but me and a friend were interested in seeing some hot springs or just staying in an inn one night whilst were in Japan as well. Is there anywhere nice there we could stay the night in then travel back to Kyoto the next day?
>>
Got a few questions for you anons
Staying around 20 days in Japan, arriving in Kansai International, staying in Osaka as base of operations for a few days (Nara, Kyoto) and then Hiroshima

If I don't want the meme pocket Wi-Fi with unnecessary unlimited data, how cheaper is the SIM card? I have a dual-sim Huawei I got in China for cheap.

Do you have any recommendations for hotels in Osaka? Preferably close to a train station since I'm going to be commuting to Kyoto everyday, also I'm not staying in a Hostel, don't want to get my shit stolen

I'm following this: https://www.insidekyoto.com/kyoto-three-day-itinerary itinerary for Kyoto, any opinions? Should I really stay an extra day or do the temples get boring

Also apart from Nara and Kyoto, what other
places should I visit while I'm staying in Osaka. Kobe?

For the rest I was planning to stay 2 days in Hiroshima in a hotel, would like you anons to tell me what interesting stuff you saw there.

And finally, planned to end it in Tokyo, stay there for a week, and then come back fron HND or NRT airport.
>>
>>1402707
Forgot to add I'm traveling end of may - mid june, if any anon is interested we can meet up to explore and take in the sights, I actually wanted to make this trip with someone else but they couldn't go in the end.
>>
>>1402689
>>> Bump
That I've seen.
>>
>>1402709
>>1402707
Another anon and I will be in Tokyo for mid-june see
>>1402567
>>
>>1402728
Are you ONLY going to be in Tokyo?
>>
>>1402731
Mostly, gonna take a train for a few days. The other anon is flying in from somewhere else Tokyo was just a convenient place to meet up. You can add me for more details and his discord as well if you want it.
>>
Should I buy a phrasebook for communicating with the locals? If so, which one? Need something to read on the flights/train rides, and I would like to be able to say basic things to clerks and hotel staff.
>>
Do I need a voltage converter or any kind of adapter to plug my shit into the walls in Japan? Coming from America.
>>
>>1402703
It's very impressive, and is also easily within daytrip distance of Kyoto. Hikone castle on Lake Biwa is also a good alternative. Much smaller, but an original castle with a lot of its external defensive works still intact. The Lord's gardens are quite nice as well.
>>
>>1402755
No voltage converter. Just need an adapter if any of your plugs have a ground prong. Japanese outlets only accept the 2 prong plugs.
>>
>>1402745
Hai.
Iie, daijoubu desu.
Arigatou gozaimasu.

Here's your phrasebook.
>>
>>1402770
So how did you even get all of that jotted down right now?
>>
So I am going to Hakone in 3 days or so. I literally have no gameplan other than see Mt Fuji and the Odeko line. Where else should I visit? Will I see Mt Fuji can I do Kamakura in the same day? Can I also go to the suicide forrest in the same day?
>>
>>1402785
You should be able to do them all on the same day pretty much. But when do you plan to travel over there though?
>>
>>1402136
Will be moving out to japan near the end of summer; possibly in the countryside. I have heard horrible stories about bugs and pests in the house, notably mukade, and was wondering what the best preventive measures to keep them out of the house. I come from the UK and the only annoying bugs are bluebottles and daddylonglegs.
>>
Any tips on finding great restaurants in Japan? So easy to get overwhelmed by 100s of choices. I’ve mostly been using google maps to find places with good reviews. Are there any better apps/websites?
>>
>>1402793
Well, there's like a ton of options for which you could find all around the country. Depending on you're price range however. And also here's the link for the website now. http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/tds/restaurant/menu/432/
>>
What to do in Kobe? Is 1 day enough?
https://www.kansai360.net/en/route/kobe002.php what do you guys think about this itinerary?
>>
In the military and gonna be Stationed in Misawa for 3 years.

What the fuck is there to do up there?
>>
>>1402793
Tabelog
>>
Are all the whores located in Tokyo or something? I can't find any in Kyushu.
>>
>>1402823
Misawa Aviation Museum and like 2 parks
Literally nothing else
I guess you are at least close to Hokkaido, you could take a trip to Sapporo every few months? But the distance isn't even that big of a difference between Sapporo and Tokyo so you might as well just go anywhere, far from the middle of nowhere place you are staying
>>
>>1402627
I wanna know this too. I wanna try to watch small gigs of indie bands in tokyo. But where do i go?
>>
>>1402823

Remember the most important phrases:

>Konichiwa

"Hello"

>omae wa mou shindeiru

"It's nice to meet you"
>>
>>1402855
Mmmmm
>>
>>1402790
>mukade
Don't randomly use Japanese words in an English sentence. It's cringy, especially when you don't even know Japanese.
>>
>>1402612
Best bet is looking up a bus service with JR or Willer express anon.

>>1402694
they are just going to bait and switch you, ESPECIALLY if it's a nigerian and get ripped off. You'll still get a fuck with a decentish(most of the time) girl, you're just getting the B team. I was in Shinjuku one night just chilling on a side bar and a dude walked up asking me in a nice suit where i was from spoke a little japanese asked if I was lonely since he knew some girls, said nah. Walked to another bar nigerians and Jamaicans everywhere EY BRUDDHA WANT SOME GOOD TIME I GIVE YOU DA GIRLS. HEY BRUDDA COME ON AT LEAST LOOK AT ME I YAKUZA YOU KNOW. I laughed wanted him to shout he was yakuza to EVERYONE, wouldn't do it because he know he would be fucked, then laughed and headed to a bar.

>>1402707
Is your phone unlocked? otherwise you need pocket wifi, sim cards for 21 days 7GB are like 4500 yen I think on sakura mobile?
>>
>>1402755
Normal shit will work just remember it's 110v not 120v, won't mean much of anything unless you like counting the minutes it takes to charge something

>>1402785
Not sure why you picked there honestly, some tea fields are nice in august, busing from there is going to chew into a lot of your day time so good luck. Kamakura is a bit far since no bullet train connects them, you'd have to go to fujisawa and connect over

>>1402810
1 full day will do everything in Kobe, you're fine
>>
>>1402786
In the next week. I just want to see Fuji and some cool villages, maybe I'll dump it and go to little edo instead?
>>
>>1402839
Don't you dare say that. I'm going to Kyushu
>>
>>1402567
I'm in Tokyo for at least the next 2 months, I'm down for whatever. Adding you.
>>
>>1402567
i dont have discord :/ ill just post on japan threads when im there already
>>
>>1402868
Urusai you frickn baka.

To that guy though, >>1402790
you're basically fucked. Japanese homes are notoriously shittily built, especially in the country where all the old people live. Expect bugs to get in absolutely everywhere, and you'll have no idea how they've done so.

https://matcha-jp.com/en/508 try this

Also there's a freezing spray that kills mukade. If you squish a mukade it releases a pheromone that attracts its mate (they travel in pairs) to its corpse. They're poisonous, but not deadly. I've also heard you can get an antidote if you are bitten from a koban. To be honest they're a bit of an urban legend; they definitely exist but there's so many tall tales surrounding them ("my friend knew someone who put on a kendo helmet with a mukade in it and it bit his face like 50 times, it's true!")
>>
Someone fucking redpill me on the transport... this is the most disgusting mess of a system I have ever tried to figure out. Like god damnit Hong Kong looks like heaven in comparison.
>>
>>1402940
It's really easy. You're just retarded.
>>
>>1402940
fuck now im scared of the transport in japan. hong kong was actually a bit easy to learn and im stupid
>>
>>1402940
>install google maps
>put in where you want to go
>literally look at google maps telling you which platform and train to take and when
>look at the colors and make sure they match

Google did a lot of development with Japan on the metro system for stuff, it works fucking flawlessly unless you are completely fucking retarded, even the remote ass places in japan say what stops in english.

JR lines - Few stops but usually quicker to hub locations you'll go to
Metro lines - More stops but go to more places and hubs just slower

The Japan rail system only fucks up on a few things like if you are coming from some remote places where you have to swap trains weirdly. Other than that it's the most straight forward system I've ever seen.
>>
>>1402942
If you actually have some form of brain damage using the metro and transportation in japan may be hard. Even so every fucking transportation gate has an attendance station with someone who can more or less speak basic english to help you. On my final stop to tokyo from osaka I left my JR pass on the train, when attempting to exit I told em I fucked up showed them my voucher/recipt for it and the dates it would be valid for, they just let me pass with a new ticket to let me get to my hostel
>>
>>1402944
>pass with a new ticket to

Temp tickets to get to my final stops, they can't reprint a jr pass ever
>>
>>1402136
Thinking of buying a 5mill shitbox apartment nearby Tokyo.
How retarded it sounds from 1 to 10?
>>
>>1402974

impossible to say since tokyo is fucking huge and you didn't specify the size or anything else.

>shitbox

This can mean a lot of things
>>
>>1402868
I can't help it, it's so kawaii xD
>>
>>1402976
Basically 1K,1R, very rarely 1LDK about 1hr from Tokyo is what I've seen at that price.

Here's a link for reference.
https://www.century21global.com/property/%E4%B8%AD%E9%87%8E%E5%B1%B1%E7%8E%8B%EF%BC%92%E4%B8%81%E7%9B%AE-%E5%85%AB%E7%8E%8B%E5%AD%90%E5%B8%82-tokyo-192-0042-japan-C21113555342-USD

This will basically be a waste of money right?
>>
>>1402988
Yeah for that holy shit you're in the middle of no where for shit to show for it. If you work in/near downtown tokyo and bad weather delays the trains you're basically fucked
>>
>>1402988
https://www.realestate.co.jp/en/forsale/view/549155

meant this, probably easier getting around the greater area, cheaper too.
>>
>>1402989
It's not for living on it necessarily, i just want to take some funds away from my country if possible.
But yeah, it seems like buying an old apartment it's not very smart.

>>1402992
Thanks, looks interesting, I'll keep looking into it.
>>
>>1402993
Ah okay wasn't sure if this was a work thing or not but you should be able to get better much closer to tokyo. I know living in tokyo isn't a priority but it does help with getting around and getting everyday things to live closer to a big city
>>
>>1402839
>>1402886
Nakasu in Fukuoka is what you are looking for.

>>1402790
>>1402935
The worst thing will be cockroaches. They sell these little black circle pod things you can hide all over your place with poison in them, once I started using them I never saw any cockroaches again.

Centipedes aren't overly common. I've only seen two in the 6+ years I've lived here. Once was on the beach and it was hiding in the sand and bit my friend's foot.

The other time was in my apartment, I went to put on a shirt, and after putting it on a decided I wanted to wear a different shirt so I took it off. I felt a weird itch so I kind of grabbed at it, and then looked at my hand and I was just holding it in the palm of my hand. Flipped out and threw it across my room, grabbed a tissue and found it again before it could hide and grabbed it, squeezed real hard, and flushed it down the toilet. Didn't get bit, but yelled like a little pussy when I saw it in my hand.
>>
I have been to kabukiza theater today and during the play you could hear these exclamations from individuals in the audience, I don't rememeber what they shouted specifically but it was always like a two syllable word, does anyone know what's up with that? I'm guessing these are some sort of enthusiasts.
>>
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_osaka_19.html
I checked this itinerary, seems pretty good but there is a lot of moving between cities and staying in different places for the night, could I use Osaka as base of operations for the Kansai region, then go to Nagasaki and stay there for 1 or 2 nights, and then back to Tokyo (and after a few days leave from that airport)?
>>
>>1402832
Thanks anon. Good stuff.
>>
What are the top must things to do in Akihabara besides shopping for anime and games?
>>
>>1402943
This. I’ve had literally 0 problems. Google it, tap your card to get in, tap to get out. It’s simpler than most of the US and Europe.

But I would love to hear if anyone has a transport directions app that works offline.
>>
>>1403053
If you drink, there's a Hitachino shop that brews their own beer on site. Good brand for Japanese microbrew.
>>
Does anyone have a sample itinerary for a 7-day trip in tokyo? Something basic and touristy since im too lazy to make one
>>
>>1403064
Trip advisor

If you honestly can't be bothered enough to do something like 30 minutes of research you may as well use that for all the meme spots. You're like those British people I've met who want holiday in japan but when you tell them that you are there without a tour guide they flip shit.
>>
>>1402883
That's pretty cool.
>>
>>1403064
>Does anyone have a sample itinerary for a 7-day trip in tokyo? Something basic and touristy since im too lazy to make one
I typically look at the first few pages of guidebooks. They're pretty useful like that to display the best things given 1 day, 3 days, 5 days, etc. Also looking at actual tour companies who sell bus tours will have already picked your top sights, and you'll get an idea how many hours are needed at each or exactly what all you can do in the same day. Granted they typically go very fast.
>>
>>1403078
Lmao nah i wont go to a bookstore. Ill just google and gross but reddit has a list of itineraries from bunch of users
>>
Crossboarder here, I normally am just go to cgl but I've never flown before and am checking into my flight to Haneda right now online and hoped this would be the right place to come and ask a question. I don't see you guys having a general question thread, so hopefully here is fine.

We plan on going with a suitcase inside a suitcase each then come back with them seperated and full. So in check in right now do I put two checked bags or one? Do I check in again online before I head back too? Sorry for these baby level questions, Google wasn't really helping me.

Also I guess in a less baby question, other than google maps should we download any kind of train app? We're pretty much going to use the Yamanote like 100% of the time we're in Tokyo, and we are going to Kyoto where we might end up using more train lines and buses to get around (also stopping by Nara) but I'm unsure if we need it or not.
>>
>>1403099

Most all allow 2 bags for checked when flying into japan, so do whatever is checked. if the suitcase is inside a suitcase, only one item is checked in, they don't care what is inside. Flying back you'll check in with 2, different process all together anways.

Google maps works better than anything there for trains.

>using yamanote line for everything
I mean okay, but there could be easier ways on the metro just be aware
>>
>>1403104
Thanks so much! Yeah we have two free, but are bringing only "one" to and returning with two. I just don't want to get in trouble or something with the airline if I select 2 and only arrive with 1.

Haha, yeah I know there's technically other ways to get around that are better. We're mostly staying in the Shinjuku/Shibuya area anyways, it's covered by the rail pass (though most lines are) and it'll help us to not get lost since it's a simple circle and we're from out in the American countryside - haven't experienced crowds and public transit like this before.
>>
>>1403064
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3051.html
>>
>>1403099
Try Hyperdia.
>>
What's the best way to score myself a gajin hunter or j girl. Twitter is kinda failing. That leaves me with pretty much meet up or drinking alone.
>>
Anyone know of anything going down mid august around Atami/Yuguwara? I'm gonna be there two days mostly to relax, but I would like some sort of big thing to see there, or some things I may have missed in my research.
>>
>>1402876
What should I do instead. I want to see the suicide forrest basically, walk around the ice caves etc. I also want to see Fuji which I haven't seen.
>>
>>1403045
Yeah, it's just something that folks who regularly go to see kabuki do. I'm not entirely sure what they're saying, either.
>>
>>1403045
>>1403233
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/大向う
>>
Going for 3 weeks in June, staying in hostels.
How much clothing should I bring? I was thinking of maybe 4 tops, 2 shorts and 1 pair of pants.
A lot of sites I'm looking at look like overkill to me. (4 shirts, 6 tees, 4 trousers, 2 shorts, etc)
>>
>>1403242
it'll be hot as fuck and unless you can constantly wash them the advice isn't bad at all
if you're backpacking it might be okay but otherwise you have no reason not to bring more, esp shirts
>>
>>1402572
Same with parts of Canada. The difference is the humidity that makes it "unbearable" for many people.
>>
>>1403247
The reverse also goes, I see people here at 18-23 C in fucking sweaters
>>
>>1403246
Thanks hombre, appreciate the advice
>>
>>1403235
Man, I can't read rice runes, this tells me nothing.
>>
Will there by any chance be any foods, drinks, and free WiFi available on my flight going from Chicago to Tokyo? I'll pretty much be flying with All Nippon Airways when I'm traveling to there.
>>
>>1403257
just check the type of airplane you'll fly in (there's always food and drinks)
>>
>>1403258
Well, the airplane that I'm actually flying on is going to be a 77W Boeing type of jet. The fare is just standard class for now.
>>
>>1403257

You could also check and see what type of jet it supposed to be right now though.
>>
>>1403246
Where are you from? Im going june and google says temp is high 26 and low 19. Thats cold already here in my standards so im confused if i should bring a jacket or non light clothes.
>>
>>1403260
ANA economy gives free drinks, meal, and snacks. IIRC they do have in flight wifi but I don't know the pricing structure. They have enough in the inflight entertainment system that I never needed wifi.
>>
File: Japan Trip.png (53 KB, 1406x847)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
Rate my vacation. Add/subtract anything?
>>
>>1403267
True, and it can also be because of how long the flight is which is mostly why they wouldn't be able to offer any WiFi on board possibly. But yeah, good thing is that at least they do offer a couple of free meal and appetizers on the plane though.
>>
what to do in Nagoya?
>>
>>1403235
Thanks, tomod8.

>>1403254
It essentially says that these shouts (or the shouters) are called "oomukou". Traditionally, the folks sitting in the way back used to shout throughout the performance to liven things up. There are even some performances that can't move forward until someone from the audience yells. It also lists some of the common timings for the yells as well as the meanings for them, but at a glance, it looks to me that they're mostly nods to the actors in the play.
>>
>>1403254
That's why I posted it for you. :-)
>>
How do I say 'is it ok to film here' in Nihongo lads?
>>
>>1403332
just say "firm ok? i firm ok?" and point to camera
>>
>>1403332
Film:
撮影してもいいですか?
(Satsuei shite mo ii desu ka?)

Take photos:
写真撮ってもいいですか?
(Shashin totte mo ii desu ka?)

Alternatively look for relevant signs. In shops/on events you can often see signs telling you if it's okay to take photos.
>>
File: 1524769003990.jpg (229 KB, 1500x1000)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>1403337
>>1403343
Awesome, much appreciated
>>
>>1403332
>Koko ni rokuon de wa ii desu ka?
Or something like that
>>
>>1403111
flying there and back are two separate flights, and that's also how they are handled. no one will care how many bags you had going there when you want to fly back.
>>
I'm a native speaker with US citizenship but have lived in Europe since I was young. As a result only my bachelor and masters education has been in English. The only program I've seen that doesn't have "10 years of education in English" as a requirement is JET. Does this essentially make it impossible for me to apply for an ALT position with any other company?

>inb4 it's also a requirement for JET and I somehow missed it
>>
Going to japan in mid June for 10 days and I have a hard time deciding between staying in Tokyo for most of the trip or buying a 7 day JR pass and going to a bunch of different places.

What should I do? Will i get bored of Tokyo if i stay there too long?
>>
Okay bakas

I'm going for a chill 2-weekish holiday in japan TOMORROW. I've planned nothing and only just booked my ticket.

My main priorities are nightlife, drinking, socializing, exploring and really just getting lost in the culture. Sightseeing and spiritual stuff comes second, but I'd definitely like to do it.

I am flying into Osaka and out of Tokyo

1. How many days should I stay there?
2. What cities should I visit? Because of my priorities, I was thinking of spending most of my time in Tokyo and second most of my time in Osaka/Kyoto. I have luggage I do not want to lug around the entire country with, so fewer cities is preferrable
3. Anything I should do or purchase beforehand? I am flying out of Seoul tomorrow morning.
>>
>>1403277

I'm pretty sure that most flights with ANA does offers free WiFi available on their planes.
>>
>>1403365
Get the rail pass.
>>
My sister thinks she can bike the Shikoku Henro in ~3 weeks. She’s in okay shape but not super athletic. Is she crazy? I’m in pretty decent shape but I don’t think I could do it in that time. From what I’ve seen of elevation maps, it looks like it can be a rather strenuous journey.
>>
Anyone wanna go clubbing in Fukuoka tonight?
>>
Any of you in Osaka 13-17 wanna show me around namba?

24/notgay
>>
anon here, staying in shinjuku for the first time in japan
why are there so many black people here, and here only, they stand in the street looking sketchy as shit. What do they want?

I also had a weird night, I needed to catch a taxi with my girlfriend to our hotel which was like 10 minutes walking distance from where we stood. I kept trying to ask parked taxi's with the lights on to take us and they kept saying no, was I in the wrong here?
>>
>>1403402
>was I in the wrong here?
It's not really worth it for a taxi to drive such a short distance. This is a common thing in the west as well from my experience.
>>
>>1403403
Absolutely understand it, I did find one to take us, it took him 5 minutes and he made 10 bucks so it was fine. My girlfriend sprained her ankle today walking out of the train station, so it was more so to ease her ankle, but i was genuinely dumbfounded why they'd turn business away.
>>
>>1403404
>but i was genuinely dumbfounded why they'd turn business away.
If it was in a crowded area, it's possible they didn't want to lose their parking spot and have to risk finding another one that might be shittier location wise.
>>
Which area in Japan is the coolest temperature wise during summer? Kinda interested in applying for an ALT job and my biggest obstacle about living there is the heat. I sweat quite a bit but can usualy manage it with good underwear, talc powder etc. However, there is no technique on this earth that can save my sweaty taint if it's 35 degrees and humid.
>>
Went to Gogo Curry a lot of times, why does the locals always get pork cutlet when you could have chicken for the same price and without fat and tendons you can't eat?
>>
>>1403466
They like pork more?
>>
>>1403365
Don't just get the railpass without taking things into consideration...
You can get around tokyo through the subway for much less, and the pass doesn't work in subways anyway...
Try to fill those 10 days with things to do which shouldn't be terribly hard, and then if you can't then maybe make a trip to another city.
Find out what it would cost to get to there without the pass, and then start considering the pass. Although, I'm pretty sure a one city trip to somewhere and back to Tokyo is gonna cost less than the JR pass would.
>>
>>1402627
>>1402844

Try looking at www.tokyogigguide.com

Shimokitazawa was the first area I checked for rock and punk, but a lot of other places hosts similar lives sometime. I think it's best to crosscheck with twitter and web pages of artists you're interested in to see where they will be playing.
>>
>>1403462
Hokkaido, as you might expect.
>>
>>1402855
This post had me rolling laughing
Well said
>>
Found this in another thread with no explanation. Can someone explain what tea house scam he's referring to?

>Friend got tea house scammed in Tokyo except night time with a girl and niggers. I was in Osaka and helped him to contact police and embassy. They robbed him of 2000bucks in one night.
>>
>>1403407
!!
That makes a lot more sense, I'd imagine they would only move for a big fare.
>>
>>1403402
Can someone touch on all the niggers in shinjuku, what are they doing.
>>
>>1403573
They are to get foreigners into a bar just tell them to fuck off.

AYYY BAAAAUDDY YOU WANT GIRL I GET YOU GOOD WOMAN YES 15 HUNDRED YEN YES NO I SAY BETTER PRICE 12 JUST FOR YOU 30 MINUTES WITH GOOD WOMAN YES? YOU LIKE!

AH YES AMERICAN MAN YOU COME TO THIS CLUB GOOD GIRLS 5000 YEN COVER WAIT YOU SMART MAN 3000 YEN AND 2 DRINK TOKENS

Speak any japanese to them and they flip shit instantly.

Those people are usually hired -totally not slave labor- by the yakuza to attract people into a bar, just don't bother honestly. Google 5 gallons and go to that area and look for a bar
>>
File: C7S4WaQV4AAGrR5.jpg (47 KB, 501x708)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
How's Maki no Udon? I'm going to Tokyo at the end of the month and I'm set on at least going to Fukuoka for that.

I'm not sure if that's quite worth getting a JR Pass for if I'm just going long distance once, though.
>>
File: IMG_20180503_131723.jpg (1.35 MB, 3968x2976)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
>>1403595
>I'm not sure if that's quite worth getting a JR Pass for if I'm just going long distance once, though.

Basically if you're going outside tokyo to a major city the railpass is worth it. Fukuoka is probably 200~220 bucks one way lol. Osaka is at least 100 USD on off season. Nagasaki/Fukuoka is nice though pic related
>>
>>1403599
Oh my bad it's about 130 USD right now one way
>>
>>1403599
>>1403603
Oh, cool. Guess I could settle for a 7 day and screw around then.

Hope that udon is as good as it's been memed. Beef tongue in Sendai, too.
>>
>>1403607
>Hope that udon is as good as it's been memed. Beef tongue in Sendai, too.

S-sure is! Not sure about sendai. JR pass is worth it just for no hassle and you can use on smaller lines too
>>
File: 1526153561119.jpg (6 KB, 176x250)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
What do you guys use to track flight prices? I was just in Japan for 10 days back in January, my flights were 450 USD (New York to Narita) Round trip.

The first time I went was like 1250 USD for a round trip.

I just happened to get really lucky with that price but I want to go again THIS YEAR, potentially October. Any tips?
>>
>>1403404
what a fucking drag, ditch her dude. I'm in Shinjiku fucking this cute 8/10 Japanese waitress from TGIFRIDAYS who loves American cock. She's got a roommate, come through.
>>
I have a friend living in gunma who is willing to let me stay at his place. How feasible is it to travel between gunma and tokyo? Is it better off trying to find a place to stay in tokyo?
Unemployed college student so I'm trying to cut expense wherever i can.
>>
>>1403610
>What do you guys use to track flight prices?
I have some alerts setup on Kayak. Some people use Google Flights for alerts. I check both sites randomly to see if there are any good deals. That's how I've gotten all my deals this year ex. 9 h flight to Europe and back for ~$330.
>>
>>1403614
you can't cut expenses in Tokyo it's a very expensive area. Something that would cost ¥200 is easily going to be upward of ¥800
It's like NYC, you can go to a Mcdonalds in Time Square and spend 11 Dollars on a Cheeseburger, or you can walk a mile out of Time Square and pay $1 like everyone else.
>>
>>1403615
Is there a way to just click a price like, "I'm willing to pay 500 Dollars for round trip, tell me when."
>>
>>1403615
Congrats that sounds awesome. Do you set up flights for next year or within a few months?
>>
>>1403616
I'm willing to eat cup noodle, convenient store food and the likes. My main concern is just the lodging. I'll be travelling alone (gunma friend have a job), so I'm not sure whether or not booking an airbnb for a single person will be worth it.

It seem that the train is roughly about an hour and a half, which is something I can deal with. But the wait between transfer add up to an hour.
>>
>>1403622
two times a day traveling a 1.5 hour train from Tokyo to gunma is going to end up costing you more than a hotel/air bnb. You're an idiot.
>>
>>1403622
If you wanna do the ultra-cheap lodging option you can always try the manga cafes. Something around ¥1500 for like 8 hours, maybe less, and you get free drinks and a shower. Far from luxury accommodation but if you're gonna be a cheap fuck you may as well commit to it.
>>
Hello there, my boyfriend and me will be travelling to Kyushu and Okinawa late August til early September. Mainly interested in food and nature, but we'd also like to visit a beach. Does anybody know how high the chance of jellyfish is at that time?
>>
>>1403616
McDonalds has the same price everywhere in NYC. If you want cheaper, you can only go across the river to New Jersey, they have lower prices and taxes.
And the whole 'Tokyo' is not an expensive area, maybe Ginza can qualify as expensive, but Tokyo is much larger. Particularly food in 7-11 and other stores has the same price everywhere.
>>1403661
1500 is the lowest price, can go up to 2500 depending on city.
In Tokyo, however, there's no need for that, it's a big city and has plenty of budget accomodation like hostels and airbnbs starting at 2000 yen.
>>
>>1403599
You can fly to Fukuoka for like $50. In general for long distance travel in Japan flights are much cheaper than shinkansen.
>>
Anyone in Osaka wanna show me cool shit
>>
>>1403741
Such a great proposition, I'm sure you'll have people lining up.
>>
>>1403742
I suck dick for payment
>>
Check your BMI. If it is less than 25, you’ll be fine. Obesity is one of the worst disgraces in Japan.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
>>
>>1402307
Mate Kamakura, it's great
>>
>>1403766
what
>>
>>1403729
>McDonalds has the same price everywhere in NYC.
I live in NYC no it isn't. Don't talk about shit you know nothing about.
>>
>>1403903
You are right
https://mashable.com/2014/09/20/times-square-nyc-prices/#DiLTOJVC8uqG
But the difference is not 10x, just 20-30 cents. Never noticed that.
>>
are tokyo clubs open/active on sunday and monday nights?
>>
>>1403724
B gon thot
>>
>>1403975
Sorry?
>>
>>1403766
omg mine is 24!!!!
>>
>>1403998
He thinks that because you wrote "My boyfriend and me", you must be female, and that females should not be on 4chan.
Because a homosexual male would have written "My boyfriend and I".
>>
>>1404019
truth
>>
Going to Japan in a week. Wife and I have finished Genki 1. Wondering how much trouble we will have getting around. I know most signage is in English as well, but mostly how will we do when ordering at restaurants and buying tickets to museums and stuff.
>>
>>1404019
Haha now that's epic!
>>
>>1404067
You'll be fine. Just point to the picture and say これ? as for museum tickets you don't need to say much, maybe 「二人 (ふたり)」
>>
With a USA Verizon phone, can I connect to Japanese WiFi like at hotels and cafes and shit? Also is there free WiFi on the Shinkansen?
>>
>>1404147
>>1404147
or kippu works just fine.
>>
>>1404148
Yeah i connected just fine, and why are you going on the shinkansen, their are much cheaper modes of transportation. I called Verzion before I left on my trip in January, they charged me $10 every 24 hours I used data which wasn't bad.
>>
>>1404155
Is that not the name of the bullet train that goes to all the major cities?

>>1403276
This is my itinerary. Pretty much required to use the JRP right?
>>
>>1404166
Shinkansen just meants bullet train. There's several bullet train lines like the Nozomi, Mizuho, or Hikari lines.
I don't know your trip, but I suppose that anon is right, there are night buses and such as alternatives to the bullet train, but I don't see a reason not to take the bullet train if you are getting a JR pass.
>>
>>1404167
How do you not know my trip? I literally linked the entire thing... Thanks for the train knowledge either way though.
>>
>>1404171
I saw your question from the front page. Didn't read anything but your post and the guy that you were responding to.
>>
File: 20180509_122425.jpg (3.56 MB, 4128x2322)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
Been in Japan 10 days by myself and currently sitting in a shinjuku hotel waiting for laundry. It was a spur of the moment decision to do this trip after leaving my old job and having some money and time to kill. Not suprisingly I have wasted a lot of tIme cause I had literally 0 plans and only a hostel booked in kawasaki for 2 nights when I got on the plane. So far been to about 4 ライブs for obscure japanese bands I like in Tokyo and Osaka, plan on seeing another one tonight. And a lot of just wandering around the streets of Shibuya, Harajuku, Kawasaki, Yokohama, Osaka, Shinjuku, and Asakusa. I Have about 3 days left in Tokyo before flying back to Canada and about 20k yen in my wallet but no problems spending more for something good. Plan on trying Onsen before leaving but is there anything really significant anyone could reccomend I do before leaving. I have a JR pass and dont mind using it to go anywhere on the main island for a day. Only have one pair of shoes that are not really suited for hiking, and I plan on visiting again to cover that aspect of Japanese travel.
>>
>>1404232
Where can i see local indie bands? I wanna experience the hip young music crowd in tokyo
>>
File: JPEG_20180512_140412.jpg (3.28 MB, 4128x3096)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
>>1404233
Just search "Live House" on google maps for the area you are in. Check the venues for stuff that interests you. I was suprised that I have found 2 bands I already knew playing that night in my city. That said I pretty.much only listen to japanese bands with very small followings. Quite a few of the shows were really sparse which I was not expecting. 2 shows had maybe 25 to 30 people tops, but still a good time. Although they dont seem to be as keen on moshing. Hasnt happened at a single show yet. fucking stop rotating my images.
>>
>>1404236
Also if there are bands in Japan you already know follow them on twitter for when they tweet their dates out, or retweet other bands they like that have dates coming up. The show that made me book my flight took place in a small recording booth basicly. Would only have known about it from twitter.
>>
Thinking about going to either Fuji-Q Highland or Tobu Zoo. Anyone been to them before?
>>
>>1404236
not into moshing but more into chill indie music. where theres not a lot of people and mostly young hip crown
>>
Planned my trip in Feb/March
2 weeks to go
>tfw haven't felt this excited about something in years
I'm either gonna be super disappointed when I get there or be super fucking depressed when I get back
>>
>>1404313
S a m e. Ive never been this excited in my entire life its so funny. I booked my flights december and going next month. I hope i dont get super sad
>>
I am going to Hakone next Friday.
>>
>>1402136
From the other thread.

Second time going to Japan.

I bought my tickets for 16-27th August since that's the only time my work would let me.

It was 930 dollars round trip from San Diego to Tokyo. Japan Airlines. Fuck.

Last time I only spent 750 in October. Did I buy my tickets too soon? I just bought on impulse because Kayak was saying buy now and all the stats showed the tickets rising dramatically.

I can fly united for 100 dollars cheaper. Is it worth the savings?
>>
>>1403257
Just flew that exact same flight run by ANA last week. Food and drinks were free, wifi wasn't.
>>
>>1404274
That basicly describes every show I've been to in Japan so far. In Osaka the crowd was like 80% 20 year old girls.
>>
Why is public transportation so expensive in japan?

Im in korea right now I can take a 1 hour train ride for a few bucks.
>>
>>1404426
In Japan you can also take an hour train ride for a few bucks on an ordinary train (precisely, around 600-700 yen = $6). Public transport in Japan is only slightly more expensive than in Korea, the sums feel bigger just because the distances in Japan are much much longer.
>>
>>1404445
I'll add that trains in the U.S.A. and Canada cost several times more than in Japan. On hour ride starts at like $25-30 in North America.
>>
>>1402136
What's with all the sandniggers and kebab shops in tokyo all of a sudden?
10 years ago there was like one kebab in ueno and one in akihbara.
Now the entire fucking place is full of shady sandniggers trying to scam people and peddle their crap meat and drugs.

https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/roppongi%27s-%27kebab-war%27-leads-to-arrest-under-little-used-statute
>>
>>1404446
Yokohama to Tokyo is about $8.10.

Trenton to NY Penn Station is $16.75.

America needs public transportation like Japan. But I'd imagine that if there was any kind of innovation it would not be used by anyone like Renfe in Spain. But around metropolitan areas the public transportation should be improved.
>>
>>1403610
Dang, and I thought my $850 CAD find was a great deal. It was during the cherry blossom season though, so I can imagine the prices could only go so low at around that time.
>>
File: teleshotty.jpg (69 KB, 720x686)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1404450
Capitals of the big countries are always destined to become multikulti shitholes. Japan was holding them off for a surprisingly long time.
Speaking of those bastards, how the police would react if I report a nigger forcing me buy some shit?
>>
>>1404459
> forcing me to buy
fix
>>
>>1404459
If you're japanese they'll probably act fast, if you're gaijin they'll probably shrug it off because the foreigners keep it under themselves.
>>
File: 1526077218071.jpg (74 KB, 865x805)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1404466
>shrug it off because the foreigners keep it under themselves.

this sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Rewrite it.
>>
Is Ryan Boundless worth listening to? Makes me rethink moving to Japan.
>>
>>1404456
Yokohama to Tokyo costs 250 yen on Tokyu Toyoko line, around 450 on JR.
>>
>>1404456
You're right, suburban trains are not so expensive, however, when you get something slightly longer, the price skyrockets.
I looked up New York to Philadelphia, just 1.5 hours, it costs $58, and the fast train Acela express costs like $186. In Japan you could go from Tokyo to Osaka which is 4x the distance on Shinkansen for less.
>>
>>1404503
>moving to Japan.

moron.
>>
>>1404503
Ryan Boundless is an absolute retard and around 90% of the things he say is trash but he isn't wrong when he mentions the bad sides of living in Nippon.

The thing is, he is literally mentally ill (severe depression) so he tends to... "escalate" or "elevate" his problems. Still, moving to Japan is probably not the smartest idea.

Tell me why you want to live there and I can give you several reasons as to why you'd be wrong in doing so.

T. lived in Japan for 15 years, I live in Norway now.
>>
>>1403610
Holy shit. How? I cant get below 800 going from San Diego to Tokyo.
>>
>>1404515
He said it himself, he got lucky.

It can happen, say the airline needs to fill a place that wasn't sold and it's among the last few remaining, you can get lucky and find really cheap prices.
>>
>>1404513
To enjoy life, teach English, and of course get a few qt 3.14s
>>
>>1404515
Philipine airlines, MABUHAI NIGGER
>>
>>1404521
You'll most likely not be "enjoying life" as an English teacher in Japan.

Average salary is around 230k to 250k yen nowadays. English teaching peaked back in 2000 and it has been in decline ever since. Unless you're on a good gig with JET or you get lucky you won't be making more than that and chances are you'll not get to live where you want (you'll probably be located in a rural area with old people and not much going on).

Assuming you do in fact get the chance of living in a decent sized city, then you have to consider that "qts" won't flock to you just because you speak English. Well, I suppose that depends on your definition of "qt" anyway - but certainly not something I'm interested in.

If you can do it for a few years and go back to your country and still have a career, fine... go be a dancing monkey. Be prepared to be "flexible".

Remember this words, "flexible".
Basically what it means is, you'll have to work whenever they say for as long as they say - no right to complain - this can also fall on weekends. "Oh but you can just deny it" - yeah, go ahead and start saying "no" to things on your workplace in Japan, see how that works out for you.
>>
File: tokyokebab.jpg (483 KB, 2028x934)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
>>
File: remove.jpg (64 KB, 639x800)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1404536
>>
>>1404535
Certainly big cities need English teachers too. Why would they stick them all the way out on the countryside? Ive seen online postings for teaching jobs in big cities.

>qt
I have very specific tastes. Basically anything they looks like Yumi Asumi.
>>
>>1404450
This shit is why I plan on going before the Olympics. After that Tokyo guaranteed will become the new London.
>>
>>1404232
If you don't mind a fair bit of rail travel Kinosaki is a solid onsen town, very traditional feel to it. They have express trains to and from Osaka about two hours each way.

There's also Arima Onsen just outside of Kobe, it's much more built up and kinda "soulless" though.
>>
fly into Narita or Haneda? what do you guys prefer? Narita looks like ~40 min from shinkuku, haneda ~1 hr
>>
>>1404546
>Certainly big cities need English teachers too. Why would they stick them all the way out on the countryside? Ive seen online postings for teaching jobs in big cities.

I see you're not a very bright person.
Carry on my brainlet friend, I'll be looking forward to your suicide webm on /r9k/.
>>
I will be in Tokyo next week and i am planning on proposing to my girlfriend there. I will also be doing a day trip to Hokone.

Do you guys have any recommendations on a good proposal spot in Tokyo/Hakone
>>
>>1404573
By train? From what I remember, it should take about an hour to 1.5 hrs to get to Narita from Shinjuku. About 45 mins to an hour for Haneda.
>>
>>1404593
I just looked online, tons of jobs in Tokyo for ESL teachers. How the fuck am I a brainlet?
>>
>>1404631
>How the fuck am I a brainlet?

oh Lord, thanks for this, literally the funniest thing I've read on 4chin in the last week.
>>
>>1402567
going to japan 16th of july
>>
>>1402136
anyone have any hotel/airbnb experience in japan? landing in tokyo and havent planned anything. can i plan it as i go there and just search for a hotel or plan it beforehand? i dont even know what im gonna do there. pls help
>>
>>1404719
Only if you're going really soon will AirBNB be a good option. Strict laws are about to go into effect that's going to really cause havoc. I think most AirBNBs aren't even taking reservations past a certain date.
>>
>>1403766
Plenty of fat americans in tokyo, they don't look that disgraced.
>>
>>1404719
Yes
>>
>>1404536
Which restaurant would that be in Tokyo?
>>
What form of ID can I carry around with me? I'm not sure that I want to carry my passport with me everywhere.
>>
>>1404719
I just booked an airbnb in Askakasa for 17-27th of August. Haven't had any issues. If you're worried about them cancelling, look for superhosts. They're super for a reason. Pretty sure one criteria is that they dont cancel on guests.
>>
Do convenience store sell liquor? Too socially autistic to go to a bar.
>>
>>1404756
711 and lawsons do, there are also a bit of liquor only stores around
>>
>>1404755
>> Askakasa
I've heard that there's like an ancient buddhist temple just located in the Taitō district somewhere around there.
>>
>>1404726
No idea why anons are so worried about this shit when the airbnb laws literally only state a host can't be occupied with guests over 180 days. The new laws are basically not enforceable for the overall number of hosts, it's to stop the dipshits who buy a apartment, complex, or other shit then do nothing but use it as a glorified hotel suite while circumventing all laws.

>>1404758
There is, it's a nice visit but generally very crowded in august by tour groups
>>
>>1404546
If you want to fuck qts in a big city you're better off going to China. I'm teaching in Japan currently, and outside of the big cities it's basically 2nd world. Nobody has any money, the Japanese are severely mentally ill insects who are content with working themselves to death than even consider change and the women are honestly some of the most tedious self-absorbed cunts I have ever met in my life. All foreigner work here is extremely exploitative, but don't feel too bad because everyone fucks over everyone here. I'm on fucking JET and the amount of people I have personally witnessed getting fucked over by someone such as their employer, their landlord, a coworker, or supervisor, really speaks to how deeply ingrained this shit is in this sick anthill society.

I do believe there's hope for Japan, but the economy there is in such a stagnant, shitty state that the whole country at present is basically in limbo. As others have said, the economy is shit so English teaching isn't the fun exotic romp it once was. If that's what you want I strongly suggest China, which is going through a boom.
>>
>>1404754
Drivers license or anything with a photo/address on it
>>
>>1404760
True, I mean the laws are pretty much the same just as usual right now.
>>
>>1404757
Nice to hear that.

On the weeb side, how's a maid cafe? I'll be going alone so I won't have a weeb buddy to share the embarrassment with.
>>
>>1404771
Overpriced, just do maid dreaming or one of the others on akihabara you'll walk by. Expect a 1200-2000 yen cover and overpriced food.

>>1404767
Yeah I still say when going to japan anons should use hostels over airbnb but the laws really don't affect anyone
>>
>>1404631
Ignore retarded fudders, there's plenty of jobs in the big cities, but they won't be nowhere nearly as accommodating.
If you actually like teaching and you're good at it, eventually you'll find a decent place to work.
Most people here hate their jobs and coworkers and are too dumb to do anything else other than being an english monkey for a shitty company, and that's why you see so many fudders.
It really depends on yourself and what you want to do.
>>
Can someone explain to me the fixation Europeans seem to have with onsens? Seriously most I know won't shut the fuck about going to one and look completely dumbfounded when I say anything about how they aren't truly the best thing in the entirety of Japan. I mean yeah cool I go sit in a hot bath for a while, and possibly sit in one under the sky, big whoop?
>>
>>1404605
Anywhere where you won't be constantly seeing gorgeous Japanese women
>>
Has anyone flew Xiamen or air china?
seem like these are the only two budget airline flying out of vancouver.
>>
File: xiamen air.jpg (389 KB, 1536x2048)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
>>1404780
Just got done flying Xiamen air, was great free wifi on too. Food was really good surprisingly. Just make sure you have enough layover time, you have to go through customs twice at xiamen since there isn't any direct pass to transferal flights, you get stamped with a 24hour visa each time you land in Xiamen
>>
how many days do I really need if I'm just going to stay around tokyo to see all the sights? Maybe I'll leave a day for Hakone. I don't really care about shopping, so I won't really visit any mall or shops.
>>
>>1404758
So how old would this temple be by today,
hmm?
>>
>>1404785
You mean if it wasn't bombed to shit with the rest of tokyo? Something like 5 or 600 years, or whenever the great fires were
>>
>>1404777
Europeans are subhuman trash with no culture, simple.
>>
>>1404790
I seriously can't understand the fixation with it

>Ey anon you book a place at an onsen yet? wanna get me one of those good baths I ere about!
>Anon why don't you wanna go to an onsen scared of sharin' ya pecker with others?
>Aye let's hit up another onsen! I bet this time it isn't filled with tourists planning to do the exact same thing as us

Or everytime I have to go through NRT airport

>Anon do you know english? what do I put down for stay? i'm going to a spa with some friends
>Just put down like any hotel you plan to stay at
>I dunno where I am staying I really wanna go to a spa though with some friends
>Just literally google some hostel and put it down
>yeah but like, i'm not going there first i'm going to a spa
>Just put down the onsen/spa name then
>I don't know which one to go to though

I mean onsens are fine if you're doing one built into an inn/hostel or something. I just can't see the fixation of taking a hot bath with a bunch of other random tourists, people in their 50's, or semi-drunk people after work bitching about how they don't want to go home.
>>
What energy drinks should I try while I'm over there? I like Red Bull and any of the zero-calorie Monster flavors, but I want to try some Japanese shit. Doesn't have to be diet.
>>
>>1404810
Boss Coffee. Honestly, stick to coffee for an energy boost over stuff like that, last week that's all I did for a bit and the time before that. Energy drinks have a tendency to be stupidly overpriced for little to no reason
>>
>>1404813
I'll bear that in mind, but I'm more interested in it for the novelty. Not too worried about an energy boost as much as I am about trying something new.
>>
>>1404815
Then any 711/lawsons/family mart will do. Keep in mind most are going to be coke products or 1:1 clones of monster/redbull. I can't recall the selection of energy drinks off the top of my head, most are usually just coke/pepsi with BOOST! or some shitty term for more caffine
>>
>>1404794
Amerimutt here, I can't comment on them but outdoor baths are pretty nice. Since europoors love essentially on top of each other they might not get to do that often. Outside of that I have no idea, I 'm fairly certain Finnish saunas are better anyway.
>>
File: 67817009_p6_.png (505 KB, 978x1193)
505 KB
505 KB PNG
>>1403730
Shoot, you're right. Like 4 hours faster, too. Guess I wasted money on a JR Pass, then.
>>
>>1404841
You're avoiding preflight and post flight time needed at the airport, if anything it's probably about the same after you factor in those things. You'd be paying around 100 USD round trip, which yeah is cheaper but you still have the flexibility of using the bullet train any of those 7 days to go on day trips around
>>
>>1404719
Strongly suggest you look into a hostel unless you have specific reasons for needing what airbnb provides.

>need safety for my bags!
check your bags in at the main desk at a hostel, even then most have a locker system as well

A lot of Airbnb in tokyo specifically have some odd checkin/checkout times as well as rules about leaving and entering. Being able to come and go to my hostel 24/7 is really really a bonus, seen airbnb state "sorry must be out of the house by 8am and no returning till 6PM", or have really high deposits.
>>
Thoughts on Kyushu? Is Fukuoka the only city worth checking out? How about Miyazaki, Kumamoto, and Nagasaki?
>>
>>1404866
I know a lot of people obsessed with Fukuoka and can't understand why. It's pretty touristy for that area and people from korea, it's got beaches/resorts but so do other places in japan. I can't think of a reason going there over something closer to Osaka and that area

>Nagasaki
Went there last time I was in japan, I really hope you are going here just to check off "went to the second nuke site", because there isn't terribly much else to do here. It's a port city that kinda seems to just be "rebuilt" for some reason while most shipping and such went to the north or closer to tokyo.
>>
>>1404868
I will be living in Kyushu so I was curious about the major cities.

I'm interested in nature and historic sites like castle, shrines, etc.

I would also go to Osaka but Fukuoka is closer so I waswondering if the extra price is worth it.
>>
>>1404866
I did 4 days in Kagoshima last month and it was absolutely lovely. Would totally recommend.
>>
>>1404892
Just keep in mind MANY of the historic sites are recreated in Japan. If ww2/batles in old japan didn't blow the fuck out of it, chances are the typhoons, quakes, and age did. Many, many things in japan were built out of wood due to ease of use, resistance to earthquakes, and various other things.
>>
Any other suicidal anons in Japan, let's fail together.
>>
>>1404855
I just go for the entire apartment selections. Helps me avoid social interaction, too.
>>
>>1404910
Not quite suicidal but I have 2 days left in my trip and I feel like I haven't done anything. Haven't even talked to any qts aside from getting a polaroid taken with an idol and that hardly counts.

I can't travel far enough to escape my autism.
>>
I just got a citibank card
Do I just transfer money into my account from my regular bank account, and when I get to Japan I can just use it on ATMs at 7/11? No other steps like transferring the currency in the app or any shit like that?
>>
>>1404936
You'll just need to have it in the cards checking account
>>
>>1404937
Checking account?
>>
>>1404761
Do Chinese have better working rights/conditions than the Japanese?
>>
>>1404939
did you get a credit or debit card? usually credit cards have higher fees to withdrawing money from atms.
>>
>>1404944
It's a debit card
>>
>>1404947
The main account is usually called checking account, with a second one called savings. If you login to your citibank website you can see this quickly
>>
>>1404951
I see, thanks for that.
So if its in that account, I can use the card in certain ATMs like I would at home, regardless of what country I'm in?
>>
>>1404954
Yes but you'll need to tell the bank you are traveling to that country, otherwise the anti-fraud will kick in and the card is locked. You can generally unlock it by calling in to the bank, but best you let them know prior to flying out
>>
>>1404955
Citibank specifically state on their website that this isn't necessary. I'll alert my other bank though all the same.
Thanks anon
>>
I have 8 days to spend in Japan (first time). I'm thinking of doing Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. What composition of days should I spend in each city?
>>
>>1405010
Haven't been yet, but my trip in 2 weeks
>fly in Friday to tokyo
>bullet train to kyoto on Monday
>possible day trip to nara at some point
>train to osaka Thursday morning
>flight out from osaka on Fri
No really expecting to see much overall, it's part of larger asia trip and I intend to come back. 2 full days in Tokyo and kyoto is barely enough.
>>
>>1405010
3 Days in Tokyo, hit up the major spots out of the way Shijuku/Shibuya/Taito/Akihabara/etc
4 Days 1 In Kyoto/Osaka/Nara
1 Days to spend around greater toyko and such
>>
>>1404940
Usually only have to work 20 hours a week in China for about $2000 a month, rent free. If you're interested I am looking for a few teachers myself at my school.

Must have the following:
-4 year degree
-Native English Speaker (Non-native isn't out of the question though)
-In the process or have a TEFL, CELTA, etc

My school isn't in a major city, but it isn't dirt shit poor either. Its a comfy place with lots of culture left since they were too poor to destroy it during Maos time.
>>
>>1404813
They also seem to be marketed as "health" drinks with special herbal blends and shit. Expensive and fuck.

But I do swear on the hangover drinks, I took it and it worked very effectively.
>>
>>1403211

Install Tinder. Get Tinder Plus, change your location to Tokyo/Japan right now and start swiping. I'll be shit on by this entire thread but it works. I met some girls and managed to fuck a few of them. You can actually find some pretty attractive girls on there. If that fool proof method doesn't work than just go bar/club hopping in Roppongi.

For both methods, I hope you're not fat and unhygienic.

If you're white, somewhat fit, hygenic than you're golden. If you're really tall that's a huge plus. But I'm 5' 6" and managed to connect with a good amount of girls.

Timeline
Tinder->Line->Meet->Fuck

Once they give you their Line on Tinder or IRL that means you have your foot somewhat in the door.

Just stay confident.
>>
>>1405159
I'd love too. But I'm currently stuck in the Navy and have another year. I plan to go for my degree and TEFL but I'm afraid the market will be oversaturated soon.

Plus the GF lives in Japan so that may be my only choice for now.
>>
>>1405171
No worries. I'll be lurking in these threads for years to come.
>>
Well, this is it. Finally, tomorrow I will be leaving for my trip to Japan, after months of planning and checking here and stuff.

I don't even know what to do now. I probably won't be able to sleep much tonight. I'm bugging a little bit!

I'll make my final question:
How do people typically dress in Japan in May, or in general? I am bringing a lot of short sleeve button down shirts and polos and a denim jacket, as well as sneakers and loafers. The rest mostly t-shirts, and only about 1 long sleeve button down shirt. Will I be okay with this? Or do they always wear long sleeve button downs, for example?

Thanks!
>>
>>1405213
From what I've seen on the million YT Japan vlogger videos I've seen, it sounds like you'll be fine. Looks like typical American dress to business casual is the norm, with shorts not that uncommon in warmer weather (unlike UK or other Euro countries where you'll stand out).
>>
>>1405272
Thank you, appreciate that input!
>>
do you bring laptop along with you, or is your phone enough?
>>
I have 10 days, is it overkill to just stay in tokyo for the entire trip? Although it might be possible to extended it a couple of days. How different are the other cities?
>>
Top Ryokan in Kyushu?
>>
Thoughts on the 2020 Olympics? I'll be in Japan hopefully in 2020 and it seems like an excellent opportunity to see the Olympics. Its literally a once in a lifetime experience.
>>
>>1405451
>Its literally a once in a lifetime experience.

It's a once every 2 years experience, winter/summer, and I don't recommend it

>ultra long bus/train lines to get to olympic holdings
>shoved into huge over crowded areana
>ticket prices excessive in large numbers
>barely able to see anything unless you have some good bonocs

You also have to be there in the 2 weeks during july/august it is, so saying "i'll be there in 2020" doesn't mean you'll for sure see it.
>>
>>1405383
Everyone is different but 10 days is enough, I'd say 4-5 is good with any form of planning just make sure the weekend is on one of those days. The other cities are different than tokyo, but the inner cities will be pretty dang close. Depends what you are looking forward to, and hope to do. Tokyo is fine but it's a different country than japan at places
>>
>>1403276
Don't go to Disney land. Its terrible.
>>
>>1405600
What's so terrible about it?
>>
>>1405499
Well, I just so happen I will probably be in Japan during 2020, so I consider a once in a life time experience. I have no plans to visit the olympics in any other countries.

I just wanna be there for the opening ceremony and maybe watch a game or two.
>>
Is tokyo really only 86° F in August? It feels like that's wrong because of how much I hear people complain about tokyo in the summer. Is it the humidity that puts it over the top? Or is Japan basically just California-lite in terms of weather?
>>
>>1405608
Queues.
>>
>>1402992
>$163296

think i'll cuck the other anon out of this shed
>>
>>1402629
Most of those girls aren't even Japanese dumbass.
>>
>>1405711
It's absolutely the humidity that makes the summers here extreme. As an Australian coming from dry summers, I've never felt as hot and miserable as I have during a Jap summer. Lots of weather websites/apps have a kind of "real feel" thing that factors humidity into the temperature you experience, and it will end up being around 35 degrees Celsius plus for days on end.
>>
>>1405867
Alright, thanks. Do you think the Volcano eruptions will mess with the weather at all?
>>
>>1405608
I went to Tokyo Disney land on a schoolday, and I went on a total of 3 rides over the course of an entire day. 3+ hours for space mountain just isn't worth it.
>>
What are some good cigarettes in Japan? I'm not a huge smoker but I always like having the option and I know smoking is big in Asia.
>>
Asked this few threads ago, hopefully will get a reply this time.
In general, how feasible is it to travel as an underage in Japan?
Do most Japanese hostels (at least in Tokyo area) accept underages? Do hostels/hotels or even border control ask for any special permissions/documents?
Traveling with an underage friend, but I can't find anything online about this. Most hostels don't have reference to their underage policy at all. Kinda worried that he might not even get through the customs.
>>
File: marlboro ice blast.jpg (148 KB, 600x338)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>1406262
>>
>>1403611
waifu pillows aren't real women faggot
>>
>>1406409
Well I mean, you probably would have to check with an travel agent about that now.
Although I'm pretty sure that they most likely won't let any travelers that are under 18 would travel alone into their country.
But I'm not really quite sure if they'll even like let 2 people who are underage travel alone though unfortunately.
>>
>>1406696
Oh, I got it right over there now.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.