[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Fallout-4-Boston-Map.jpg (145 KB, 1010x546)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
Going to Boston with family soon, I did not plan this trip myself, what am I in for?
Locals recommend anything worth seeing.
>>
>>1402180
I love the boston public market for lunch. tons of options right next to fanuiel hall where you are gunna end up anyways becasue all tourists do.

North end salem and hanover are cool at night. Ernesto's during the day-- terramia at night; Giacomo's is great too for dinner (cash only). I think bovas is the best for pastries but mikes or modern are fun for tourists.

RF O'Sullivans - Burgers (off the beatn path)

if your family is cool Yvonne's is great. I also like the 21st amendent. right next to state house. very Boston. your dad will probably love neptune oyster during the day (stay away from it on a weekend night). youre family is probably not cool enough for Shojo but that place is my shit.

chinatown - gourmet dumpling house is great, so is dumpling cafe. china pearl is hysrical if you want to get wicked Asian but the food is meh.

newberry street and copley area are classics. Boston common is always a nice walk.

Harvard square is contained and enjoyable.

duck tours are cheesy but not so bad.

you can find me at the trillium beer garden. fucking amazing.

walk the freedom trial. all those buildings are open and you can see all the cool old buildings.
>>
>>1402219
just to be clear salem and hanover are referring to the streets in boston not towns
>>
>>1402180
Aside from stores and food, the architecture and coast/docks are the only thing I can really think of worth seeing. It's just a brick city that is over populated really.
>>
File: colonial tour.png (301 KB, 1104x532)
301 KB
301 KB PNG
>>1402180
How long are you going for? If it's more than a few days, its a very small region so renting a car might be a good idea. Salem is about an hour away, same with Plymouth if you like history, you this is also a very short and doable drive, if you leave in the morning you're reverse commuting so you're going against traffic. Just stay outta the left fuckin lane ked.

Cape cod, New Hampshire, and Vermont are all a roughly 3 hour road trip. So its easy to take a drive and day trip. Again. Watch for traffic, and the reputation of masshole drivers is well earned. If someone passes you in the left lane and abruptly cuts you off it mean's you're doing something wrong.

If you're staying in Boston, Id recommend the common, chinatown, north end (italians) freedom trail, or catching a sox game. It's early enough in the season. If you like colonial history this is a very easy road trip.
Lexington and concord (start of the revolution) Salem, whiches and kind of a cool vibe, and Charlestown (seige of boston/revolution)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUwfnC0jaDs
>>
>>1402180
I recommend the place right to the left of Mike's Pastries for cannolis and cappuccinos
>>
Want to let everyone know that eating fresh seafood on the water season has officially started.

Just got lunch from the shuck truck on the warf and ate It down by where the oddesy Parks. Could not be more pleased.
>>
>>1403119
Don't judge me anon, I'm from the rural Midwest.

I've never eaten seafood before, what do you recommend? I'm leary of shellfish but I'm not Jewish so I will try it.
>>
>>1403157
its all about proximity and timing more than the food item itself. the closer to the source the better. tailor your order for the restaurant and location. just like you wouldnt go to a steak house and order the ziti, don't go to a clam shack and order the lobster. a good seafood place in the north east will tell you the area where they were caught. so when it comes to oysters the server will say "the wellfleets are really good today" or if its from further away they will tell you "we got the pemaquids this morning, really good." personally, i go with the sampler (3, 3, 3, 3) whatever is good.

fried clams are aways a safe bet for everyone, some people love them on the half shell, but i would rather oysters. just make sure you say "NO BELLIES" when you get fried clams the first few times. after a while try them with the belly. its a taste. not one i love.
steamed mussels are an easy intro. they go in the center of the table and are shared with everyone. they a good. everyone likes them. probably the best place to start.

now lobs are where i get serious. i am lucky enough to have spent time with lobstermen on a lobster island. the more you pay for a lobster, the shittier it is. evertyime a lobster is handled, it goes into shock and the quality of the meat goes down and the price goes up. every time someone does something dumb to it other than steaming it, the taste goes down, every time somone takes it out of the shell and handles before it gets infront you, the meat turns to rubber. you want to be able to make eye contact with the guy who took the lob from the trap. at the least his sturdy wife as she takes it from the tank that he built next to the garage.
lastly lobsters are meant to be messy social experience on the lawn or porch. its not meant to be a stuffy fine food. the best lobster i eat is from is cooked in seaweed over a beach fire at sunset with friends. if you can find that- thats how i recommend eating shellfish
>>
>>1403176
Thanks for the detailed advice, sounds legit so I'll pass it along.
What about fish?
>>
>>1403177
Locally not much, cod stocks completely decimated in 90s any quality fish like Tuna is flash frozen and shipped out to Japan where the money is
>>
>>1403177
my fish pallet for fish kind of fucked. for example, i fucking love pickled herring and smoked whitefish for a snack. its a little much for a lot of people.

with that in mind: the proximity and time rule applies to fish but its more forgiving. hopefully i don't get murdered for this but... honestly its getting to the point where locally "farmed" fish is pretty much as good as some of the wild stuff. that being said i dont want that shit to have been frozen so unless its sushi (very different conversation) normally stick with cod or haddock, Atlantic salmon can be expensive but worth. i generally heve a less is more philosophy with fish for dinner. cook it lightly with just salt and a little oil. although im also a hypocrite because i think a fried haddock sandwich with Havarti cheese, crispy lettuce, capers and tarter sauce, on a buttered hamburger bun is one of the greatest sandwiches
>>
File: fry plat.jpg (2.46 MB, 3264x2448)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>1403157
I'd go for a typical fried platter, it usually contains fried clams (whole) fried oysters and scallops, shrimp, calamari, a few fish fillets and french fries.
You can sample a lot of things on one plate. If you're feeling up to it try a lobster roll. Lobster has a very unique taste that some people love and others find overpowering, /ck memes aside they arent "bugs"
Swordfish is also great, the texture is like a combination of chicken and steak. Most of the saltwater whitefish is similar to freshwater, the flavors are delicate.
> the more you pay for a lobster, the shittier it is. evertyime a lobster is handled, it goes into shock and the quality of the meat goes down and the price goes up.
This, either that or it was overcooked. also, dont wear a bib unless your in a suit. Fastest way to spot a tourist.

As wise seafood anon said mussles and steamers (cooked softshell clams) are a good intro, both have different flavors but are briney and slightly salty. Stuffed quohogs are also a good choice. It's bread crumbs, linquicia sausage, and chopped clams baked and served in the clam shell. (note. do not eat the shell)
If you're feeling adventurous, try a raw little neck clam or oyster, it ups the flavor but most people are put off by the texture. It's cold and slimy, Ill eat a raw quahog the size of my fist if I dug it out of the sand myself, so I might be a bit more extreme here. Its like a big clammy marshmellow.

T. Some /ck dork and Cape Codder.
>>
>>1403157
Come to Maine and take a food trip. Clam chowder, haddock, sword fish, lobster, cheaper here for lobster than elsewhere.
>>
>>1403298
Just came back from school in western mass and returned to better mass, had a big clam strip plate
>>
>>1403176
>>1403177
Can back this up. I'm from Salem but live in a tiny little town in Maine called York and we have this tight shit here called 'off the boat lobster'. They're a little company that has a dock with boilers set up on the York River and they steam your shit for you if you want, hand it to you in a home depot + plastic bag, and then you eat that shit with your friends and some butter for a real good time.
>>
>>1405183
oh shit york is a cool place.
my ladyfriend's good friend had her wedding reception at foster's. fucking loved it! made a weekend of it and went to the big light house and got ice cream, walked the beach, chilled at the park. cool town you got there.
>>
>>1405228
I work around the corner at the Inn there, maybe some of the party stayed at it haha.
It's really scenic but the summers are awful because of all the tourism. I'd recommend fall to anyone who wants to visit because the weather is still nice and the foliage makes the trees look like they're on fire. You can still do a lot of great things around here too through November.
>>
>>1405674
dude if its the york harbor in i stayed there.... small fucking world.
>>
>>1405689
It is! World is crazy small, man. Glad you enjoyed your time! Could share all sorts of crazy stories about this place but that's a topic for another board :)
>>
>>1403472
Maine is a bit out of the way for a trip to Bean Town
>>
File: boston to Maine.png (321 KB, 1108x596)
321 KB
321 KB PNG
>>1406893
Not really, Its an easy day trip.
Protip: Dont call it beantown, no one in MA does.
Personally if you're driving 2 hours from Boston just hit up the cape.
>>
>>1402180
>Tourism
Freedom trail (do it for free, just follow the big red line on the ground that starts in the Boston Common) and check out the Boston Public Garden as well. Newbury Street is nice and so is Copley Sq. (check out the church). Prudential mall is right off Copley square and pretty nice. For baseball or a house of blues concert (if anything you like is performing) go to Fenway. North End is a nice place to spend the day, mini Italy of the city. Take the red line and go to Harvard Square and congrats, you've seen most of the tourist shit in Boston in 2 days if you plan out a route. Start from Copley/Prudential and newbury st. (many hotels near here) then work your way to the gardens, commons, north end for dinner and a walk to Waterfront afterwards (you can cross the bridge near Aquarium and go to Seaport after to enjoy the newer bar scene that's opening there, very nice area). Fenway is on the green line, go there and enjoy breakfast and tour the baseball stadium. Then go to Park St and change to the red line to go up to Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, after that I'd recommend Fanuiel Hall.

>where do i eat though?
Things are well split depending on what you wanna eat.

Italian: North End, places to go are Neptune's Oyster Bar and my personal favorite hole in the wall is The Daily Catch to get some of their famous Black Pasta (the fra diavola is good but not worth the price tag though other pasta's they serve are incredible)

Meat: Salty Pig just south of Prudential, make your own charcuterie boards and they also serve pizza's with the best cuts of meat in the city. Good place for lunch. Ruths Chris Steakhouse off tremont st. near the commons. Abe and Louie's on Boylston St.
Mexican: Lolita's near Newbury st/Copley
French/Spanish/Sushi: Newbury St
Asian: Penang or Q for Hot Pot.
Bars: Seaport has Drink (expensive but incredible) and rooftop bars w great views of the city.
>>
>>1402180
back to v
>>
>>1403298
Looks yummy
>>
Just chiming in. I'm a tourist in Boston right now and, in addition to things other anons are saying, I enjoyed the Charleston Naval Yard (tour two historical ships, and then there's a $5(?) water shuttle to take you back across the river.

Also, if you like books, Cambridge has a high concentration of really good little bookstores. I went to Harvard Bookstore, Raven Used Books, and the Harvard Coop, as well as a little poetry shop. Really nice selections at each.
>>
File: 348s.jpg (28 KB, 348x348)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Oh yeah and Monica's Mercato in North End has really good, big Italian subs
>>
>>1407023
OK we're doing this, turns out there's a light house in Maine mom wants to see.
>>
>>1409000
If you are still around and like good used book stores: commonwealth books (my go to) and brattle books are both right near downtown crossing.
>>
>>1409566
Just leaving but I actually did check both of those out. I was a little rushed when I was at Commonwealth but it did look like they had a pretty big selection, if slanted a little towards older stuff.

I also really loved the main branch of the Boston Public library. Got some good reading done in the Bates reading hall. Lots of seating, cleanish bathrooms, a cafe, convenient subway station... Good experience.

Sigh. Back to the South I go.
>>
best seafood in boston is yankee lobster

best pizza in boston is regina's in the north end (original location)

everyone has already stated what the popular shit to do here is, that's 99% of everything to do anyways.
>>
>>1402180
Atlantic Fish is good

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.