[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I am thinking about going to Russia for a week or so in August this year. to try to speak a little Russian and see more of the country.

Do you have any recommendations wich regions or cities to see in that part of the year?
I will only be able to chose one probably, and it won't be Moscow or St Petersburg since I already have been there and I want to see more than the typical show-off places.

Also general Russia thread.
>>
It's a big country. For a request like this, you need to narrow down what you would like to see - architecture, history, nature, culture etc.

t. Moscowfag, might stick with this thread if there will be more replies
>>
>>1405613
Is summer really the only best time to go? Cold weather is an annoyance to me.
Are there any clubs that play House/Deep House music in Moscow or St. Petersburg
>>
Also interested. Is Volgograd any good to visit. I am very interested in WWII history, so just being there would be great for me. But as a city, is it any good for tourists?
>>
>>1405613
The point of me asking is inspiration tho, I am interested in Russia as a whole really, so at some point I want to see all of it anyways.
I just don't know where would be a good start, given that I have about a week in August.

>>1405623
>Is summer really the only best time to go? Cold weather is an annoyance to me.
You kind of answered the question yourself kek
>>
>>1405623
In that case the best months are
For Moscow: May-June and August-September. July is also fine but has a higher chance of humid 30C and more.
For St. Petersburg: choose summer and pray for good weather
For other places: visit the wiki pages, "Climate" section, but May-Sep should be ok in almost all cases.

I am not a club goer, but the nightlife definitely exists here and with a wide range of choice.

>>1405626
I've been in Volgograd myself only at the age of 3, lol. Sure, there are remnants of WWII left scattered as well as the war museum, but everything can be done pretty much in a day.

The only "good" places for tourists are Moscow, StP and maybe the Golden Circle; also Sochi. An excellent way to see places like Volgograd is to take a river cruise, there is a great selection of those.

>>1405632
Either Moscow or St Petersburg is a perfect entry point for exploring Russia. I would rate StP slightly higher for its unique looks and atmosphere. You can easily spend an entire week in either of them.
>>
>>1405632
>>1405639
If you are the OP, forgive me for suggesting the two major cities again.
You might want to check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Ring
It is a decent itinerary to see the old historic towns of the European part.
>>
>>1405601
>>1405632
>>1405644
Quick rundown of the other parts I suggest for traveling.

Karelia is good for "Real Traveler" forest hiking al well as seeing the wooden architecture of the remote villages. Petrozavodsk is a comfy town with a great shoreline, although I haven't been there in a long time.

See Novgorod and Pskov as the old Hansean places, with castles and remnants of the old medieval republic.

The south (Rostov & Krasnodar areas, notably) has been thriving recently. Sochi is picturesque and a good gateway to see the Caucasus mountains. Another good place in the south is Dagestan with some old af towns like Derbent, but beware that it used to be unsafe a few years ago.

Nizhny Novgorod is the top 5 population centre of the country. It is ok, but nothing spectacular. Some good "authentic" places nearby, like Gorodets.

Kazan, the capital of Tatarstan, has been doing well recently and is worth checking out - it has sizeable Christian and Muslim populations that live along, and both the churches and the mosques are significant and worth seeing.

1/2
>>
>>1405601
>>1405632
>>1405651
The Ural mountains are nice for the "nature trip", might especially check the caves. Avoid cities, as they do have a bad reputation, aside perhaps from Yekaterinburg, which at least has some historical significance.

The west Siberia is mainly for the oil&gas industry, so while it has a good infrastructure, there isn't much to see. Omsk is a huge meme.

Novosibirsk is the 3rd (I think) city in terms of population and it is quite nice, but there isn't much to do. However, from there you can travel south to explore Altai which is arguably the most beautiful area of the country (I won't say much, it is British Columbia-esque for the reference).

Krasnoyarsk is a good place for both history and nature, as there are unique geological formations just outside the city. East of that, the Lake Baikal is a must-see for every naturefag.

Khabarovsk and Vladivostok in the far East are worth checking for the architecture and the general comfiness.

Kamchatka is a god-tier travel destination, however it is extremely expensive as the tourism infrastructure is severely underdeveloped.

I didn't list everything, too tired to type now lol.

2/2
>>
>>1405639
>>1405644
>>1405651
Yeah, I'm OP. I thought about the golden ring too, but I am more than sure that I will visit Moscow again, at least once and I want to see a few new things in Russia I haven't seen yet.

Do you know anything about the border crossing between Finland and Russia?
A friend of mine is half Finnish and we thought about hiking in Finland, they have a "freedom of roam" so that we could sleep whereever we want to.
That would be a cool way get to Karelia I guess.

The Caucasus region is interesting too imo but I'd rather travel the whole Caucasus then and take some more time to see all the different countries.
>>
>>1405659
>>1405668
(OP again)
Altai and lake Baikal, are again a destination I want to put more time into, from what I heard and saw it really has to be great so I don't want to "waste" the experience on a one week trip and be a little more dedicated.
Especially since I have a longer experience in central Asia planned, coming shortly after that.

Krasnoyarsk and Khabarovsk and Vladivostok may be worth a thought, I'll look into it.

What do you think about Irkutsk and Yakutsk as cities? Are they worth a visit?
I considered especially visiting Irkutsk, but I wanted to do it in winter lel. Bad idea?

Thank you anyways tho, valuable information!
Helped me out a lot,
>>
>>1405668
Never crossed there, but I know plenty of traffic goes both ways through the southern crossing. The northern one is in the less populated area. Expect standard security checks, nothing more or less.

For the Caucasus, definitely visit Georgia and Armenia, they have arguably more to offer than "our side of the ridge".
>>
>>1405671
>What do you think about Irkutsk and Yakutsk as cities? Are they worth a visit?

Never been myself.
>Irkutsk
Didn't value it highly before, but from what I heard, the city has been developed recently and isn't really bad. Not sure if the sights are worth it, but it's a good entry point for the region.
>Yakutsk
The diamond mining pulls the local economy, so the town is in a nice condition. I wouldn't mind going there myself, as it is quite a unique experience. Definitely worth it.
>>
>>1405671
Going in winter isn't too good of an idea, even if you do not mind the cold:
1)You wouldn't be able to walk a lot without finding refuge from the weather in the nearest buiding. I've been to Kaunas, Lithuania during a -30C weather and the sightseeing was done inbetween dashing from one cafe/shop to another.
2)Lake Baikal is optimal to be visited during Summer, otherwise you'll just find ice everywhere.
>>
>>1405626
I'm from Volgograd, used to live there for 23 years.
The only attractive things there for you as a tourist are related to WWII. Try to google these ones: "Poдинa Maть" sculpture, "Дoм Пaвлoвa" old house, "Пaнopaмa Cтaлингpaдcкoй битвы" great museum. And that's mostly all. Not sure if it's a really good idea to visit that city unless you are a history fan.
BTW, there is a FIFA World Championship is upcoming, so there are a completely new airport, nice parks and so on.
>>
I live in Novosibirsk. Where are you coming from OP. The Siberian region is now, but so cold most of the year. I still need to wear a jacket when I go outside these days. Lake Baikal is beautiful, but one week in the area is too much I think, and we are so far from everything else.
>>
Not OP but I'm going this summer for the World Cup, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to be in Moscow, Kazan, and Rostov.
>>
>>1405968
Learn the Cyrillic alphabet (much easier than you think) and download the Yandex taxi app and Yandex metro app for Moscow
>>
>>1405968
What >>1406002 said is the best advice. During the world cup, I expect shady taxi drivers to take advantage of the unsuspecting tourists, so stick to Yandex Taxi or Uber.
>>
>>1405968
this
>>1400063
>>
>>1405678
>you'll just find ice everywhere.
That would be an interesting experience too, wouldn't it?

>>1405893
I'm from Germany.
I don't really have a problem with cold, so wearing a jacket wouldn't be that much of a problem for me haha. If I would expect sun and beaches I'd go to Sochi.
How is Novosibirsk culturally? And how is the city in general?
>>
>>1406108
>That would be an interesting experience too, wouldn't it?
Sure, if that is your thing.

>How is Novosibirsk culturally? And how is the city in general?
Hopefully the Novosibirsk anon responds, but here's my take. I went there in 2010 for the solar eclipse. Liked the atmosphere, the centre is pleasant and welcoming. Seemed safe, although some industrial outskirts might not be the same (you wouldn't want to be there anyway). Not much historic stuff, due to the city being relatively young. Aside from the centre, walking along the Ob' riverside was pleasant as well.

Novosibirsk is also well known for its university and the huge campus on the outskirts. Didn't have time to go there, not sure how much worth it has for the tourist.

Ladies were 9-10, the best I've seen in Russia.
>>
>>1406108
The city center is small. It entails a few blocks, and that is it. There are museums here which are nice, but very small compared to St. Petersburg and Moscow. The university is nice, but very far from the city. Maybe 50 minutes by bus. It is nice to walk around, but not much else there. Is there anything specific you would want to do? We have a nice aqua park as well I forgot to add.
>>
>>1406148
>although some industrial outskirts might not be the same (you wouldn't want to be there anyway).
I guess that's a rule of thumb for every city everywhere lel

Imo the Ladies often are 9-10s everywhere in Russia anyways.

>>1406157
Well, every city in Russia and many elsewhere, except for capital cities, is small compared to Russia, so that's not really fair. I guess I don't have a problem with that either. In bigger cities you are always missing out on something.

I don't have anything specific in mind desu. I just want to get to know Russia and different Russian cities.
If the city is not a completely cultural wasteland it's the right city for me I guess, I'll gladly discover whatever the city has to offer. In cities with big universities that often is a lot.
What I'm looking for in cities is mostly really architecture, bars and breweries, food, music, museums, abligatory tourist sites as well, as long as they don't rip you off with expensive tickets or something... everything that kind of "makes" the city if you know what I mean.
>>
>>1406576
In that case I would rate Krasnoyarsk slightly higher than Novosibirsk.
>>
>>1405782

I lived in Volgograd for a year, right in the dorms across from Maмaeв Кypгaн. It was a depressing year in a depressing goddamn city, but it helped me grow personally.
>>
>>1406576
In that case I would not recommend Novosibirsk for you. At most if you really stretch it three days would be enough to see everything in this city tourism wise. Better Krasnoyarsk as someone else mentioned or Altai region. Funny side note it is currently snowing surprisingly heavy for May so if you do come to Siberia bring a heavy coat.

>>1406576
>>
>>1406930
What do you mean by tourism wise?
I am not only looking for only tourist spots but stuff that locals would do as well for example. I am learning Russian and want to really get to know the country since I am really interested in it. And I doubt Novosibirsk has nothing to do after three days, at least I hope so for the locals lel
>>
>>1407322
Everything you said you wanted to do could be done cheaper, better, and easier in many other places like the two places I mentioned before. Yesterday the museum right in the city center was free. This is one of the main museums in Novosibirsk, and it took me only thirty minutes to see pretty much all of it. I just think here you will be bored, and cold is all.
>>
>>1407402
Can't imagine that for a city with a university, but thanks, I'll take it into consideration.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.