[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: honduras.gif (152 KB, 1200x923)
152 KB
152 KB GIF
I'll be living in Honduras for just a little under a year. Does anyone have experience going there, stories, or tips? I know it has a reputation for a lot of violent crime, but is it as bad as it is made out to be?
>>
File: Honduras.2.jpg (175 KB, 1400x788)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
I'm going for work, so it's unfortunately not my choice. Any cool spots in country I need to check out?
>>
The Islands (you’ll be fine) or the mainland (why would you do this?!?!)
>>
Hey anon, Honduran guy here. Kinda funny ,me and my sister were just discussing this. It's pretty damn bad in the mainland. Especially right now with all the shit going down due to Juan Orlando's government, shit'd bad. Don't believe the people saying "Oh ignore all the crime rate stuff it's actually so much safer than it seems". There can be some truth to that statement, but really in order to not get constantly mugged, scammed and minimise your risk of actual life threatening situations, it's best to treat Honduras with as much suspicion and caution as you can.
Never get into buses. Ever. At all. No fucking buses. Ever. Zero fucking bus rides. I can't emphasise this enough. Never fucking ever take bus rides.
Taxis: stay the everloving fuck away from multiple-stop taxis. If there's people already in the taxi, don't even fucking look at the damn thing.
Really, stay away from taxis except for "Radiotaxis". They're basically like a primitive Uber service and the fleets are still painted in the same way as a standard taxi. If you're staying in Tegucigalpa, there's always a fleet of Radiotaxis by Mall Multiplaza. Write down their number/numbers, give them a call, always use them for taxi service. Random taxis on the street aren't all that bad but to be safe it's best to avoid them. Also, remember to agree on the price before getting in.
>>
Cont.

Sun goes down at about 6pm all year round, goes up at about 6-7am. Get used to it. After 6pm, getting home safely should be your number one concern. Don't go out by yourself after dark, unless you're going BY CAR to somewhere safe and populated i.e. a restaurant, shopping centre, cinema ect. Stick to franchises if you want to be safe, Morazán Boulevard (sorry, assuming you'll be mainly in Tegucigalpa, but w/e) has plenty of large restaurants and is a pretty popular and safe spot to go to either by yourself or friends, but remember, GO BY CAR.
I'm assuming you're not a retard, but just in case, stay away from slums and poor areas. Yes, these are also usually the older parts of town with colonial-era Spanish conquistador buildings. Doesn't matter. Stay away. The people there will see you (if you're white and/or obviously not local) as an ATM with the PIN code being a gun pointed at you.
There's a few small private clinics scattered about if you get sick or injured, they're fairly well equipped and you should be fine for anything other than a major surgery. Avoid public health service hospitals. The private hospitals/clinics will obviously be expensive, but you don't want to take any chances when needles, scalpels and pills are involved.
>>
In terms of places to visit, there are a few. The two most well-known places to visit are probably Copan Ruinas on the western edge of the country near the border with Guatemala, and the Bay Islands not too far away from the northern coast. Both of these are very safe, very tourist-y, very clean, and fairly cheap. Roatán is probably still one of the most beautiful places on earth imo, the locals speak English and it's very safe. You can't not go there. You can take a flight from Tegucigalpa or San Pedro, or a ferry from La Ceiba.

Copan Ruinas Is also quite nice, quite large Mayan temple complex nestled in a rainforest, feels almost like a level in a Tomb Raider game. Lots of ecotourism nearby. It's also quite close to several large coffee plantations and roasting houses, so the coffee will be as fresh as it gets. You can pay for a coffee plantation tour, they're a good way to spend a few spare hours.
The food near Copan will be quite good. If the bay islands have amazing sea food for obvious reasons, Copan has amazing breakfasts. Farms make up almost all of the area around Copan Ruinas, so expect amazing and fresh fruits, cheese, juices, meats, coffee as I mentioned, ect.
Copan will be by far the much cheaper option. Also unmissable and bound to be memorable. Also safer than most of the mainland.
>>
I liked my time in Honduras, lots of stuff to do and almost no tourists

Here's what I recommend

>Lago de Yojoa
>Copan Ruinas
>Gracias
>Tegucigalpa
>Bay Islands
>>
>>1419970
>Don't believe the people saying "Oh ignore all the crime rate stuff it's actually so much safer than it seems".

But Anon, the crime rate in Honduras is dropping and is the lowest since 15 years.

>Never get into buses. Ever. At all. No fucking buses. Ever. Zero fucking bus rides. I can't emphasise this enough. Never fucking ever take bus rides.

Why? I took busses all over the country. What's the problem with them? They even patted down every passenger after break stops usually and I felt safe in there.

>Taxis: stay the everloving fuck away from multiple-stop taxis. If there's people already in the taxi, don't even fucking look at the damn thing.

But that is the norm in Central America?
>>
>Heading to Honduras for Several Months
My deepest condolences.
>>
>>1419970
>>1419973
>>1419975

If the Tourist Board had people like you working for them, Safety Ratings would exceed 11!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.