[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1520329447052.jpg (1.06 MB, 2048x1365)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20180608_111156.jpg (4.33 MB, 3024x4032)
4.33 MB
4.33 MB JPG
I'm still looking for 2 TEFL certified teachers for a school I own in Yuanping, China. It's a franchise of Aston English so you can either email me or look at Astons site for more details.

>$2000+ a month salary
>Free Accommodation (this is a standard offering for teaching English in China.)
>Free Chinese language courses

Requirements:
>4 year University degree
>Native English speaking country of origin
>TEFL or equiv. Or in progress of getting one.
>>
>>1423469
22 hours of work a week so plenty of time for traveling and other things to do in your free time.
>>
>>1423469
Hi anon. I was just wondering if there is any reason you don't hire non-natives? Is it because it's problematic for visas or is it a school policy?

I won't be able to go this year but I'd like to teach in China eventually. I have a C2 cert and a Masters in Education, but it seems I won't be able to apply to most of the decent positions in Asia.
>>
>>1423474
Usually it just comes down to the visa. If you have a good accent I would be willing to submit your paperwork and see. It's a small enough city 500,000, that usually the officals don't care.
>>
>>1423481
Sound, I do have a good accent from living in Scotland. I guess I'll just have to forget about tier 1 cities and try my luck. Like I said I won't apply this year but best of luck filling those positions
>>
>>1423482
Thanks. And best of luck yourself. After you're already in China and have a z-visa it's much easier to keep it and transfer locations.
>>
>>1423466
Kill yourself
>>
>>1423491
>>1423492
>>1423495
You seem stressed. I think you need a vacation.
>>
>>1423500
Kill yourself
>>
>>1423492
Yeah, you're right. Let's have yet another SEA thread, because that's just what this board needs.
>>
>>1423503
Kill yourself
>>
>>1423469
>>1423471
>Requirements:
>>4 year University degree
Por que?
>>
If I could remove all ESLosers from this world I would do it in a heartbeat.

Do yourselves a favor, get a real degree, like Engineering, get a real job, get financially stable, buy a house, get married, then use your money and vacation time to travel.

A huge gap in your resume spent "teaching abroad" is EXTREMELY detrimental to have, and you most likely will never find employment after the fact. It is a HUGE red flag to employers. Why would they hire somebody who can't stay in one place for a large amount of time, and has been out of relevant training for years a time. You can even use your real skills to get a job abroad.

You may think I am being harsh, but sometimes people in the know like me need to be harsh to help save the lives of misguided people like you all.
>>
>>1423510
>buy a house, get married, then use your money and vacation time to travel.
No thanks
>>
>>1423510

>get cucked with mortgage
>get cucked by wife
>get cucked by commitment to "career"

I'll pass
>>
>>1423482
shut the fuck up

you sound like the type of person that repeatedly asserts to any foreigners 'watch out I'm Scottish so I'm pretty hard ha ha watch out I'm Scottish so I can handle my drink haha watch out I'm Scottish so I grew up in a rough town ha ha'

do the rest of us a favour and hang yourself
>>
>>1423539
>>1423548
Have fun becoming bitter expat #344545654 because you didn't want to think straight and listen to somebody with more life experience than you.
>>
>>1423469
(((Rosenberg))) uhh... No thanks man, I'm okay.
>>
>>1423509
It's a visa requirement.

>>1423510
I taught English for a year then got an IT job that eventually paid 150k euros a year. I was dissatisfied with it and am going back to ESL I China. Fuck off
>>
>>1423580
I'm not Jewish it's just a throw away email so I don't get doxxed.
>>
>>1423510
What about I fight you for money instead? Name a place and I'll expose your small dick and fat body
>>
>>1423562
But anon, I'm not Scottish at all
>>
>>1423510
>A huge gap in your resume spent "teaching abroad" is EXTREMELY detrimental
American slave alert. He's right. If you spent any time at all away from your desk then you're a failure. How dare you for traveling longer than manager schlomo wanted! One week a year is enough!!!
>>
>>1423469
Aston is a shit show, I should know.

You'll be expected to do a 2 hour lesson with trash like this, Aston's books are laughably dumbed down, you have to teach 11 year olds with pic related.
>>
>>1423846
>t. Ryan Boundless
If you can't come up with games and activities to help teach the kids then you suck as a teacher. Going over a book like that is a small part of teaching ESL.
>>
>>1423857
I suck as a teacher and just want a free ride in Japan, how do I survive?
>>
>>1423904
Git gud
>>
>>1423510
>A huge gap in your resume
don't need to worry about gaps in my resume if there's nothing on it to start with
>>
>>1423904
same
where are the resources that just do everything for you? That surely has to exist
>>
>>1423928
Just come up with activities that have the students use the words or phrases you're learning that day. Of course depending on the age of the class will depend on what activity that will be. Younger kids love to race or compete against each other.
>>
>>1423904

this. i want to try but i am an office wagecuck. i cant imagine being in front of 20 asian kids for 8 hours
>>
>>1423927

im not a poorfag and dont have to worry about having a flawless good goy checklist
>>
I have no college degree and only job experience is supervising a warehouse and an assistant manager to a Big Lots. I plan on getting my TEFL and staying long term in Cambodia. 3-5k would hopefully be enough starting cash right? I also day trade an extra 300-900 a month successfully. I'm also just 21
>>
>>1423948
also could possibly end with me marrying a Khmer. Would be perfectly okay with that
>>
TEFL joker who just finished a rare six-month contract in Taiwan here.

Ask me anything and I'll do what I can to answer. Please note that I'm fucking hammered off of Suntory right now so if ramble on, just bear with me.
>>
>>1423948

>Cambodia

Dude, you have no idea the kind of lifestyle change you're going to face. Cambodia, for the most part, is not a place where you can say, "Aw gee whiz, I'm out of rice, let's go to the Carrefour and pick up another bag."

Despite being on the same planet as the US or EU, you'll be stepping into a completely different world over there.
>>
>>1423929
what about if these guys know literally no english and I'm told not to teach more than 4 words per day
>>
How do you guys manage this with student loan debt? I'm wageslaving in the US for a few years to pay it off before I try this. The debt is in USD, if I earn in local currency the payments would be JUST. If I go TEFL right now I'll just be miserably poor as the payments sap whatever money in excess of bills I could earn. In countries where a 4 year degree is required to TEFL, I know you guys have debt. How do you handle that? Just the smallest payments you can make? In that case the debt lasts forever.
>>1423510
>drowning in student debt
>wants me to sign up for mortgage, which is like 10x as much
Nah brah. I learned my lesson. I think it's important to be financially stable, yeah, but there's a limit. Frankly I only have so many years to live, why spend all of them wageslaving? I'm taking my time to work now, side hustle, pay the debt off, hopefully set up some passive income streams and build savings, learn the language of my target country, and then I'll go. I could always get a wageslave job in the future. I'm a greedy cunt but live like a miser, so even though I live cheap enough where an english teacher salary would be sufficient for living expenses, I want the side income in big fat USD running in the background. I think that would be an ideal system. If I need more money I guess there's always translation work or tutoring.
If all your money comes from just wageslaving you are in a state of emergency. If you get fired, what is your plan B? You're fucked. It's all about that side income bro.
>>
>>1423967
>]
TEFL is just a glorified wageslave job. No point doing a pointless one before you come here, if it's what you want to do. Don't see why wageslaving in other countries is any different apart from lower cost of living
t. has no degree and no debt
>>
>>1423970
Not really. English teaching jobs from what I can see are lower hours and low stress, and you get to live in different places. Problem is my debt is a set amount in USD. If I go and earn in foreign funmoney, that doesn't transmute my USD debt to funmoney bucks. Relative value of currency.
I can pay it off with 3 years or less of working in the US, if all goes well. And then I can tefl and not worry about shit, and also have a resume built if I want to come back and wageslave again in the future. It's like a second dose of college is how I'm approaching it. Bide my time, build my position, and delay my reward. Receive vastly better financial position. I just have to avoid normie traps like mortgages, cars, possessions, etc.
>>
>>1423976
>teaching
>low stress
you don't know what you are getting in to.
>low hours
and add an equal amount of hours preparing lessons, and materials, then attending school events, having shit split shifts...
Doesn't seem such low hours now, does it?
>doesn't know how to convert money
just convert your money at the bank and send it over through bank transfer, it's not hard unless you want to go to fucking afghanistan or something

TEFL is not a good job, the only advantage of it is extending a holiday with a job in high demand that you literally can't fail to find a job at, it's just whether or not you enjoy it that affects your experience
>>
>>1423970
>Wage slave
>Less than a part time job worth of work a week
>Still plenty of money to travel, pay off debt, pick up a hobby
I lesson plan one night before the class for an hour. The next semester I remember what I did and don't have to plan as much. Not sure why you dislike TEFL jobs. Did you suck at it?
>>
>>1424010
maybe because every job is different...
mine is about part time hours, but the split shifts make it feel like you have work on your mind constantly for 6 days a week.
I would love to be able to spend an hour in the evenings doing the lesson plan, but work starts at 7am and ends at 9pm with huge random gaps in the day. So in the evenings there isn't much time before sleeping, and I'm too tired anyway.
>Did you suck at it
I think I do suck at it but I've only been doing it for a month and i'm only 19.
Also living in a tiny place also sucks because there is nowhere interesting to travel on your 1 day off per week, and you will have done all of them quickly if there were. In the city okay maybe it's fine.
>>
>>1424018
I stare at tiny numbers on a computer for 9 hours straight in my current job (starting at 7am as well). You don't know what suffering is. I've read a lot of tefl experiences, youtube vids, etc on it. It really doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as office wageslaving. But hey what the hell do I know...
>>
>>1424031
sorry about your job anon. I'm sure good tefl jobs do exist, but just be skeptical of youtube vlogers showing off their glamorous lifestyle, and as somebody in the previous thread said, start with ABSOLUTLEY ZERO expectations.
It's not for everybody, but you might still enjoy it more than your currenty job. I'm not trying to put you off but just keep in mind that it is a job market just like everything else, and there are good jobs and bad jobs in that.

I'd recomend to everyone ITT to get their first teaching job in a big city rather than a place in the middle of nowhere, because then you can easily change if it's terrible, and more opportunities to travel
>>
>>1424018
That's just a shitty job, not reflective of TEFL as a whole.
>One month
Bro it gets easier. You're still so new so it will be a learning curve.
>>
>>1424031
I've wageslaved in an office and taught English in China. I'll take teaching every time. Stress free completely when compared to wageslaving.
>>
Here's my two cents

I worked a year office wage slaving and am in my second year of tesl. My old office job was really terrible, I had to call people and get them to pay their debt. Now I'm working in Hong Kong, I like this job a lot more, I really love the kids and think I'm not too bad at the job. Plus you get 2 hour long lunch breaks plus extra breaks which is unheard of in wage cuck jobs. Only stressful thing is teaching children under 5 who can be little shits, but I am hopefully getting a new job working with university students.

I would say if you are unhappy with your current job, give it a go, it's sick. I dunno how true this unemployable when you return home meme is though, seems like it's made up by butthurt wagies.
>>
>>1424040
So you get where I'm coming from. I'm only office waging until I pay off my debt, and then I'm out of here. It's such suffering.
>>1424050
What ages are best and worst?
>>
Should I do my TEFL ceritification in person, or online? If online, which site should I get my certification from? Also, I'm seeing 100, 120, and 150 hour courses, but how many hours should the course I take be?
>>
>>1424178
>Online
>120 hours
From my understanding 150 just means more classroom practice. Not really worth the price difference. Online is great because you can be anywhere and generally they are less expensive.
>Which one to choose?
Just make sure it's certified to offer the courses and has lots of reviews. I've seen some for $300 and others for $1200. So there is a price variance.
>>
I tried doing a reverse image search but can't find it, where is the train in the original image?
>>
>>1424134
Personally I like teaching 6 year olds a lot because they are really motivated but not too young that they're retarded, but too old that they're rebellious.

I also really like teaching university students because they are super motivated. Only bad age I've come across is under 5 because you aren't teaching, you are just baby sitting.
>>
You don't get fired from being an ALT in Japan unless you're a pedo it would seem, you don't get renewed either though.
>>
>>1423948
Don't do it man, google the Australian women that just died over there. No road rules 4 people on a motorbike whilst texting. It's deadly and subhuman.
>>
I went to a Dutch uni that was 3 years. All the universities there are 3 years in length while vocational schools are 4. Is this still fine for teaching in Japan? The Netherlands is listed as a partner country for the JET program so I assume it is fine but I'd be applying as a US national. I'll have a masters degree by then if it matters at all.
>>
Teaching right now in Japan at an Eikaiwa. Jobs alright. Job satisfaction seems to be dependent on location according to my peers. I live in a somewhat famous city so it's not too bad. Just wanna say that many Eikaiwas have you work at least 40 hours but your not full time. Stuff like prepping, and events take up a lot of extra time.

I really love Japan though so it's worth it for me.
>>
>>1424039
Off to my wage-cucky TEFL job again tomorrow morning and I want to die more than ever.
Here's my schedule:
6:30 wake up
7:30- 9:30 attend training
9:30-11:00 prepare for the first set of lessons
11:00-13:00 lunch break
13:00-14:00 prepare the second set of lessons and do paperwork
14:00- 16:00 nap
16:00 wish I was dead and maybe watch anime while half asleep in my hotel room
17:30-21:00 teach 4 lessons of 45 minutes each
21:30 eat dinner then go straight to bed
>get paid for 3 hours work
>repeat with even worse scheduling and progressive fatigue and depression for 6 days
>>
>>1424440
That isn't normal at all, why are you putting up with that? You should find another job and quit.
>>
>>1423846
This looks interesting and challenging, is this really considered shit or easy for Chinese kids?

My Japanese JHS 2nd years couldn't keep up with this...
>>
>>1423510
Engineering is full of fucking pajeet poobois too you fucking faggot cock smoker. Like, who is stupid enough to be parroting the stem meme?
>>
>>1424405
I'm on JET in a small, dying city and honestly the whole experience has made me fall out of love with Japan.

To those considering Japan, absolutely push for a larger city. Japan drops to developing world-tier in the inaka, everything is a huge effort and the people are limited to old racist farmers, yankee kids and their meth-head parents. The fucking Japanese don't want to live in these small rural towns and cities, there's a 99.99% chance you're gonna be miserable too.

There's no money in Japan anymore, I strongly suggest people consider China.
>>
>>1424553
For some reason I just never imagined that the kind of tapout shirt wearing backwoods dipshit redneck culture would exist anywhere in Japan but then I came up north and that's all there is.
>>
>>1424522
Its my first tefl job. Could you tell me what parts are not normal? I thought not getting paid for preparation is normal even in good schools. This is Vietnam btw
>>
Anyone teaching in Europe right now?
>>
>>1424553
>>1424558
That's pretty eye opening. Huh, so japan's sticks are just as bad as rural burgerstan.
>>
>>1424591
That's a good comparison. When people think of Japan, they never consider how ass-backwards it can be. There's drugs, gambling, domestic violence, abused kids and student self-harm.

Also I've come to realise that the Japanese are some of the most arrogant people in the world.
>>
File: taiwan-market.jpg (74 KB, 620x413)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
To everyone who is interested in the TEFL gig, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. The wrong reasons include:

>I want to travel!

Then save up and travel, don't waste your time or the time of others by hiding behind a TEFL job.

>I can't find a job back home.

Moving abroad to teach Chinklets won't help you either.

>I have some problems I think I can get away from.

If you have problems back home, you'll have problems abroad as well. This especially applies to people trying to outrun their mental health issues. I can't tell you how many TEFL teachers I've run into who have admitted that they were trying to "escape depression" as if it were a place and not a state of being.

>I really just want to work with adults, kids are too tiring.

Good fucking luck trying to find adult students if you're teaching for the first time. They could be absolute beginners themselves but they don't want to learn from someone who doesn't know what they're doing. That's what kids are for. You find out what works and what doesn't and kids are none the wiser.
>>
>>1424600
Huh, for real? So it is just like my taiwanese fingerpaintings, only just all the most critical ones. No wonder there's so many tragic backstory characters.
>arrogant
How so? I understand that they're incredibly ethnocentric and don't know anything about other nations or cultures. Arrogant I wouldn't have pegged. My other qualms are that they're ball-less, never stand up for themselves, worship authority and rulesets, are uncreative, mean-girls-ish and cliquey, ostracize anyone different, backwards views on women (no /pol/ pls), extremely rigid, never take the stick out of their ass, xenophobic and racist (no /pol/), etc. Arrogant I'm not aware of. Please teach me senpai, I still want to go tefl there someday so smash my expectations now.
Next you'll tell me the crime actually compares to Chicago or Brasil and they live in slums like Mexico City.
>>
>>1424611
All of those things you said are true, but they believe they're better than everyone else because they do those things and anyone who doesn't is subhuman. Everything is the Japanese way. Any outsider living there is just an amusing toy.

The crime isn't like that but it's not the crimeless paradise that some people make it out to be. You're not likely to get shot but people steal things and get into fights. Also the drivers have some of the most idiotic road rage I've ever seen.
>>
>>1424601
I agree with this as I learned the hard way. But what are the right reasons exactly? I think that travelling can be a good reason if you are using TEFL as a means to save up money while in another country, especially where cost of living is lower. Although it is undoubtedly an inconvenience for others if you are a bad teacher/ wageslave but I don't feel bad about it because the demand is so high that if I hadn't done it somebody else equally bad or worse would have.
I think a good reason to do it is if it is the first "real" job on your CV as it is an experience most people do not have. Another reason is to learn their language while working, but you have to be able to handle the job
>>
>>1424601
Dman......... Finally, sombeody talking sense....

>>1423510 here
Everybody in this thread cant handle the truth I am trying to dish out, so I am very glad to have some cohorts!!!

>>1424440
>>1424553
Serves you both right.

Everybody. Look at these two. Do you want to end up like them? No, you don't. Get a real job. Don't fall for the TEFL scam and ruin your life.
>>
File: 20180310_185043.jpg (4.27 MB, 4032x3024)
4.27 MB
4.27 MB JPG
>>1424624

I think a combination of curiosity and genuine interest in teaching is probably the right reason. I worked with another teacher who took a position in Taiwan to further her Mandarin-speaking skills but eventually quit because the school refused to stop piling on classes, so her intentions were genuine as well.

I was mostly interested in immersing myself in a different culture and learning more, so teaching was a decent way of doing it but it got real old real fast. Cram schools in particular put people through the wringer in terms of wacky hours, inconsistent classes, and bizarre expectations. I taught for six months before realizing, "I'm not enjoying this in the slightest" and politely resigned.

I still love Taiwan but I'll be damned before I ever go teach in a cram school ever again.
>>
>>1424628

I don't understand the animosity towards TEFLers, m8. Did a teacher have sex with your girlfriend while she was abroad or something?
>>
Do I need to apply for like a visa in order to travel into China nowadays?
>>
>>1424601
Lol, every ESL teacher I have met has become a teacher due to atleast one of these reasons, including myself. My main reason was because I loved Hong Kong and wanted to live here, but I was also interested in teaching after finishing my TESOL certificate.

You do meet some real fuck ups in this line of work though, there's a saying in the Industry. Anyone doing TESL is either trying to find something, or running from something. It's very true.
>>
>>1423469
How bangable are the locals?
>>
>>1424655
>ESL teacher
So does the TESOL certificate also expires for in a short time after you've completed it or are they valid for good?
>>
>>1424660
They are valid forever yes, why is your grammar so bad btw? Are you non a non native English speaker?
>>
>>1424641
why did it take you so long for you to leave?
>>1424628
here is your (You) but you could at least understand that this is the worst of TEFL jobs, there are surely better ones out there like people ITT who seem to be fairly happy saying they have loads of free time... Or maybe they are larpers themselves. Personally I can see myself enjoying the job if it wasn't for the hours.
And as another anon said, is there a particular reason apart from a lot of retards in this field that you don't like ESLfags?
>>
>>1424666
having a lot of free time doesn't mean much when you live in the middle of nowhere and your daily life is depressing and dull. I would rather be busy at a job I enjoy
>>
>>1424440
Dude. Wtf. You better be getting like $4000 USD a month for that job. This is my schedule in China:
>Monday-Friday off
Saturday teach 8-6 with an hour lunch break. Each class is 45 min long with 15 break after each class.
>Repeat for Sunday
>Sunday evening lesson plan if needed for next week 1-2 hours tops.

Seriously, your job isn't worth it if they aren't paying you a shit ton of money. And if they aren't just find another. There are literally 1000s of places looks ng for teachers right now that have schedules like mine and not yours.

>>1424672
Boring person, boring life.
>>
>>1424663
I have a very thick French accent, therefore my English isn't really that good to tell ya the truth right there.
>>
>>1424678
It actually makes sense more like this way though.
>>
File: agony.png (29 KB, 128x125)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>1424677
>Dude. Wtf. You better be getting like $4000 USD
$830 USD a month my dude
$670 after tax
but how do I quit my job after I've signed a contract exactly? Do I just tell my manager to go fuck himself and leave no notice?
Or work for one month more after giving in notice so I can at least get a reference for my CV?
Please help me out here. Also maybe for China that's fine but I don't have a degree so China is off the table for me. Unless you have some advice on getting a contact there who can hook you up with a place that pays for your visa and a degree there or something.
>>
>>1424677
Can you tell me more about your job anon?
>>
>>1424684
How to get a degree the eat way for the sole purpose of teaching English.
>PS a degree from a University with you name on it.
>Get it notarized from an online service like notarycam.
Once you get that then apply and get another job and GTFO. Plenty of schools know that some scams exist and if you leave early just explain it to them that they weren't honoring their contract. Anyone in ESL can appreciate that.
Other things for China
>Police background check
>Health exam, they usually provide the paperwork
Their might be more but I'm forgetting now. Just don't quit until you get your visa to China in your hand. Never go to China and teach on an L visa. Only accept a Z visa.
>>
>>1424687
Sure. Let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to hear about.
>As I said, wake up and go to the school in the morning. Get there 5 minutes before 8. Grab a coffee or whatever I need for the first class and go to the classroom.
>15 minutes - Typical class starts with role call, and homework check. Then review what they learned last week.
>10 minutes - introduce new words, phrases. Go through a book or dialog with the new things injected.
> 10 minutes- Practice pronunciation, make sure everyone can get it and understand. A Chinese teacher is usually in the room if they do not understand depending on the kids level of English.
>10 minutes - play a game based off of what they learned.
My favorite one is lining the class up into two separate lines and have one kid in each line come up and compete against another in some activity. Then race to the back of the line. Hangman is great. Telephone, pictionary, you name it. The sky's the limit. Just get a feel for what your class enjoys. Older classes like discussing hypothetical situations more, and those are always fun.
Some of the higher levels go for 2 hours, which I feel is better since it gives you more time to practice and make sure they understood everything.
Then on Sunday evening everything is fresh in my mind of what every class did this weekend so I make notes on what to teach next weekend. My school provides a basic outline of what each class should teach each week as well.
>>
>>1424692
*Easy way
Sorry I'm a phone poster.
>>
>>1424600
Seriously. Ryan Boundless please leave.
>>1424601
The top two reasons is why I got into teaching to begin with. I started in 2009 as I graduated at the peak of the financial crisis. Instead of complaining about my situation I did something about it. Never regretted it. Once I went back to the US I was able to find a job in the field I studied. And what's wrong with traveling?
>>
Lol at the right reasons. The right reasons are I want To live in Nihon I want to destroy the local girls and I want to get paid for two classes a day.
>>
>>1423846
What the fuck even is that and when was it made? Was Slump well known in other countries before the last few years? I grew up in Atlantic City so the name has always been pretty well known to me.
>>
>>1424684
You need to quit this job right now. Right this moment, start going to other centers and dropping off your CV. Join all those EFL teaching jobs groups on Facebook, plenty of smaller centers advertising, schools that won't even ask you whether you have a degree or not. No admin or training involved. Normally I would advise to apply to all those big chain schools but you'd need a degree for that.
I would be genuinely curious to know how you managed to land that gig. I've been here for years, worked all over the country, and have never even been offered $830 a month. Not to mention that places that pay so low don't usually charge tax and pay cash in hand. Could be an independent center in Lao Cai or some such remote place, but in that case there would be no training involved. Sounds like you got one of the absolute shittiest deals in Vietnam.
As for the references, most schools in Vietnam (even reputable ones) never check them. Places that don't ask for your degree certainly won't bother.
>>
>>1424666

I ended up doing six months because I genuinely enjoyed the company of the other teachers and felt like six months was a good amount of time in which I could say I actually tried something before realizing it wasn't for me.

The real kicker is when I got short-changed on one of my paychecks, so much so that I had to dig into my savings account back home to make it until the end of the month. Combine that with a school that absolutely refused to actually discipline kids causing trouble and I was ready to kick chocks.
>>
>>1424748
>You need to quit this job right now. Right this moment
yeah I think that is actually good advice. But I did that and now my boss is threatening to make me pay reparations to the school or whatever if I leave, even if I give a month's notice. Probably won't even pay me this month or something because I said I MIGHT leave.
Gig is from expat since I didn't realise how many jobs here don't even advertise, and I wanted to be sure I would have one before I left so I chose this remote as fuck location for low pay to start with. Also expat was the only place I could find that explicitly said they did not need a degree...
What do about my boss? There's nothing in my contract about reparations but apparently it is in the labor laws, although I couldn't find that anywhere, do you know if it's true?
Also you really think I should just not even give notice and literally pay my school so I can leave?

>>1424816
yeah I'm worried I'm going to get short changed as well, and my school doesn't discipline kids either. Some lessons really are just babysitting and I hate it. Saying that, I do actually like the teachers and some of the students who are my age
>>
>>1424846
Dude don't get played, it's fair to say that most chinese people will go for a quick buck over an honest one. What i mean by that is that your boss is definately going to fuck you over, don;t think they are nice. Tell him you are definately staying, you just had some family issues come up but its ok now. Then as soon as you get your next pay check GTFO of there without giving notice, fuck getting a reference. Sounds like a scam bro.

If you want to find a new job, do what other posters said. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
>>
>>1424699
I was wondering more how you got that gig, where you are in China, what qualifications you have, how much you get paid/how far it goes, if your work set you up with an apartment, if you have any other benefits, can you speak Chinese, etc.

It sounds great honestly, I'm very jealous!
>>
>>1424720
>Seriously. Ryan Boundless please leave.

Dude, can you really not imagine that people can have shit experiences living in Japan? Where did you live, I'm guessing it was somewhere nice.

Whether you wanna acknowledge it or not, there's a huge gap in the quality of life (and people) in the major cities of Japan and the rural communities.
>>
>>1424846

They don't discipline the kids because they don't want to rock the boat. Let's say they pull the trouble-maker aside and tell him to shape up. The trouble-maker goes home and tells his or her parents that he or she isn't being treated fairly. Next thing you know, the child (and all of the money being paid to the school) goes elsewhere.

It's a shitty situation because the parents have ultimate say over their kid's education and these cram schools are too spineless to say, "Your little shit keeps acting up." It's fucking ridiculous and hampers the learning abilities of the other kids.
>>
>>1423469
Why do you require a degree? I’m a native speaker...
>>
>>1423510
I don’t give a fuck about your way of living why do you care about mine?
>>
>>1423572
A’s if no one in my homeland is bitter, fuck find me someone who isn’t!
>>
>>1423957
Can I do it with no degree?
>>
>>1425107
Usually it just comes down to the visa for China requires a uni degree. As another poster said just forget it, then get it notarized online and no one in China will question it. There you go. You're set for China.
>>1424889
This dude is in Vietnam but you're still not wrong about China. At one school I had some cunt owner try and make me ride a bicycle in the dead of northern Chinese winter to hand out fliers. I told get to get fucked and reported her to the main office. It got worked out though it wouldn't have if I wouldn't had said anything to corporate.
>>1425017
I got the gig by applying online. I get paid around $2600 a month since I've been doing it awhile. I live in Shandong, somewhat near Qingdao but still about a few hours away. The school got me my first apartment, then after the first year I got to pick my own if I wanted to. They will give you extras the longer it stay. The initial apartment was in the contract. I work 22 hours a week, mostly weekends. The money I make goes very far. Going out to eat is cheap, clubbing is cheap, etc. When I try I can save a lot and in the summer and winter breaks I work a shitton and make a lot of overtime. The overtime work is voluntary but I like the extra cash.
>>
>>1425125
Forge it not forget it. Sorry
>>
>>1425111

Not unless you can find someone willing to risk their business to hire you. Taiwan has begun to plateau in regards to their need for EFL teachers and the requirements are practically the same there as they are in South Korea (for a good reason too)
>>
>>1425127

My friend said in hk and Vietnam they don’t care about degrees
>>
>>1424889
yeah but if I leave without giving notice he's going to make me pay the school apparently. Apparently this is still true even if I do give notice and he doesn't agree to it.
Although I'm not sure how true it is that this is really in the law. I did sign the contract that said I couldn't leave in the next 4 months but there was no clause about what would happen if I did. I presumed it was just "if you leave, you break the contract." But I've been told that even if it doesn't explicitly state it, then there is still some kind of legal implication...
>This dude is in Vietnam but you're still not wrong about China.
He's not wrong about here either. Most people are fine but there occasionally you will meet a megajew x100 who will try and steal everything you have and lie to your face. Thanks for the advice about China though. Is this what you did?
>>
>>1425142
I did actually get my degree but know of many people to go the forging route. No one cares in China to check it. As long as you check the box with the paperwork that's good enough. All said and done for under $100. Much cheaper than my degree lol
>>
>>1425139

The trick is that while some schools don't care about degrees, it can make it difficult to get a foot in the door
>>
>>1424582
Which company, ILA, VUS, Language Link?
>>
>>1425149
I’m white male and native speaker, 6ft + tall I’ll be fine.
>>
>>1425143
Where do you find an image of a degree to forge?
>>
>>1425125
teaching illegally in china isn't a good idea, they have periodic crackdowns that nobody sees coming

better off in cambodia or something like that
>>
>>1425216
China has no way of confirming you're degree is faked if it's notorized. Stop trying to scare people. China pays way more than those countries and has a better standard of living.
>>1425214
Just Google a small to medium sized University degree and search images. There you go.
>>
>>1425213
In China you will be running the whole show. Know your superlatives from your laxatives? I'd try Japan.
>>
>>1425213
This man speaks the truth.
>>1425157
I wish this Anon would reply to you. Hope he's ok.
>>
>>1423562
You dumb fuck he said he lived in Scotland and wasn't a native speaker.
>>
>>1423960

So... there are no rice shops in Cambodia?
>>
>>1425665
Cambodia is a shithole don't go there.
>>
>>1425217
China will crackdown from time to time, and throw some folks in jail

plus all the fake degree schools are full of shitty con artists that are unbearable to be around
>>
>>1425707
Crack down how? Call the university and ask them if this person attended even though they don't even speak English? Not even US employers do that for normal jobs. Stop spreading fake news and fear about China.
>>
>>1425596
Not always the case at all. Most of the time there is always a Chinese teacher with you. Where do you even get your information?
>>
>>1425756
>>1425217

How do you get a fake degree notarized? I thought the only way to do it was through official agencies that will actually check if it's real? And doesn't the embassy check as well?
>>
>>1423510
>A huge gap in your resume spent "teaching abroad" is EXTREMELY detrimental to have

In what fucking country? The U.S? How is working overseas any different than working at home? Oh that's right, from the top of your high horse it's not real work if it's outside of 'Murica. Get fucked, cunt.

Take my country (Australia) for example. We live in the arse end of the world, far away from pretty much everywhere else. Most people here will never set foot outside of Australia, Australian culture in itself is incredibly sheltered. On top of that, most people here don't learn second languages and teachers are in huge fucking demand.

Plus, we don't have a cancerous working culture where we stigmatize people who have left the country to work abroad. In fact, going overseas and gaining experience is encouraged by a lot of employers here, you stand out from hundreds of thousands of people with experience like that.

Let's say you go overseas to teach English in China, that's a big bonus in itself because you know how to communicate with not only Chinese people but those with a language barrier, you also understand their culture. That's a huge plus in Australia as China is expanding markets and influence here by the year.

Chances are you'll be teaching children. Boom, you have experience in an actual school. You can apply for work at any local school when you get home, you're definitely much more useful than the average teaching applicant. If you learn Mandarin and apply to a school in any major city you'll be hired almost immediately, as schools are full of Chinese children that can't speak English. Then you don't have to go overseas again, you can teach English as a second language at home.

What is insignificant to you; an assumed American who clearly doesn't understand that life isn't the same everywhere, is a huge opportunity to others. Fuck, I'm willing to bet you've never even set foot outside of your home country.
>>
>>1426261
Online notary
>>
>>1426343

Even in the US working abroad isn't frowned upon, he's just a raging cunt who enjoys shitting on everything and insisting he knows better. He's likely one of two types of people

>the teacher who hates his job and wants to drag everyone down

or

>the guy who never went overseas and resents anyone who does
>>
>>1426343
American employers don't consider TEFL a real job or real teaching experience. It is a hole in your resume, and not only that, it gives the impression you have commitment issues, dislike responsibilities, and are not fit for a real career in the real world.
>>
>>1423466
What is a good wage for a tuition centre, in HK
>>
>>1426449

I thought Chink embassies only want real/government approved notarization. Won't they reject that?
>>
>>1425142
How will they force you to pay a fee even if there is a law? Just move to another country lol, theres no way they could get the money off you.
>>
>>1425142
No I didn't quit my ESL job, I like it. I work in HK so different to China, but a lot of people pull runners here and just go somewhere else and dont pay the fee.
>>
>>1426498
20-24k HKD per month, less than 20 and you're being ripped off
>>
>>1426513
Thanks.
>>
>>1423960
What are you on about?
There are markets and shops everywhere where you can buy anything you need...
These people don’t generally don’t have refrigerators so they go to market everyday and buy what they need for the day.
I’ve never seen anywhere in Cambodia where you can’t buy the necessary things to live.
Considering anon would most likely be based in Phnom Penh, you claim is ridiculous at best.
>>
>>1425756
>Call the university and ask them if this person attended even though they don't even speak English?

Actually, yes.

And they will put you in jail for a short time if you worked illegally there, and fine you. You can do it and make cash, but imo it isn't worth it. They do sweeps, they don't do it piecemeal.
>>
>>1426501
I might be wrong then.
>>
>>1426469
I'm gonna go with the second option, likely has never left his own country out of fear or lack of money.
>>
>>1423469
Are you a foreigner and own a school in China? how can I do the same Anon?
>>
Any experience with Hangzhou, China? I'd have an A.A. and I don't know whether that could still land me a TEFL in China.
>>
>>1426793
I took about $40,000 and having a partner in China to pay the other half.
>>
>>1423967
stop paying on your loans and dont move back to the states
>>
I’m in Hanoi, Vietnam and looking for teaching jobs.

Where’s the best place to find work here? Also, why does it seem like all the schools want you to be on a work permit here? I don’t remember that being the case in Saigon last year. Are they more strict about it in Hanoi, or did they pass some new laws recently or something?
>>
>>1423510
>A huge gap in your resume spent "teaching abroad" is EXTREMELY detrimental to have, and you most likely will never find employment after the fact. It is a HUGE red flag to employers. Why would they hire somebody who can't stay in one place for a large amount of time, and has been out of relevant training for years a time. You can even use your real skills to get a job abroad.

The result is true but you need to be honest about the reason. People that have spent their lives working and get a week vacation a year or maybe even less are just bitter and jealous. They see a resume of someone that spent two years fucking off in China and they hate the guy for having a good time, they won't hire him just to make a point. It pisses people off that ESL teachers have a light workload but still make enough to live and save a little. It's like cheating when it comes to travel. I get where the anger and frustration comes from, but it's not good for you. Great post anyway, if it's a troll even better. 10/10 might copypasta it.
>>
>>1426797
Hangzhou is a great city imo. Westlake is worth a day trip and the area around it has good restaurants. The city has good infrastructure and public transportation. The food is actually my favorite in China.
>>
Do any other ALTS in Japan constantly get ambushed with no lesson plans?
>>
Anyone worked Shanghai? Hows 15,000RMB after tax with additional free accommodation
>>
File: boe.jpg (178 KB, 279x1024)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>1427796
Yes thats standard.
>>
>>1424642
They're jealous as they didn't have the guts to do TEFL and missed out on following their dreams, now they can't as they have a wife/house and aim to bring down anyone who wants to do TEFL.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (53 KB, 604x613)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>going through Interac process
>pass phone interview
>pass demo lesson
>pass Skype interview
>"good news anon we're happy to have you, I know your passport is on it's way, please supply this asap and we will get started"
>supply passport days later
>it's now been 2 weeks and radio silence
>last week email recruiter just to confirm he got it
>nothing

Th-thanks... I deserve this pain for getting my hopes up.
>>
>>1427959
So you accepted an offer of employment, correct? When did you do that? Did you receive a month you are assigned or a Branch assignment yet?

Once you get the Visa documents in, expect an extremely long period of time with no updates or information. I got in for Autumn 2018, gave them all the Visa documents as fast as I could, then they told me that they wouldn't need me until October and that I won't hear back from them until August, this is a month ago, by the way.

Also, as far as emails are concerned remember they have weekends off, and keep note of the time difference and potential holidays which they also have off. During these times, emails pile up and some get lost in the middle of it all. Also, there are different people you need to email for different things, did you email the right person?
>>
>>1427533
They want you already on a work permit? I have the impression that Saigon uniquely doesn't care about that but I could be mistaken.
>>
>>1427797
That's pretty low considering the dude at the top of the thread is almost paying that in a smaller city. What are your qualifications?
>>
>>1427959
Usually if it's a scam they will block your email address and you'll get a blocked notification when you send them an email.
>>
>>1428114
The problem is the offer was kind of unofficial, everything was contingent on them receiving my passport. My recruitment guy has been pretty candid with me. But now nothing. I don't want to bombard him with emails but also there is no one else who has emailed me. He had me aimed at the October semester as well which is why I panic that I have heard nothing.

Lol it feels like I got right to the end and then got left on read.
>>
>>1423967
Request an income-driven repayment plan. My payments are now $0 a month since my income is so low.
>>
>>1428162
BA in education and 5 years experience.
>>
Graduating with an engineering degree next year, want to teach abroad for ~2 years
50% through a TEFL this summer
China, JET, or EPIK?

I was thinking I'd do JET because it's the safest probably. First time living abroad.
>>
>>1427797

kek that's pretty terrible
>>
>>1428302
Whats reasonable for China?
>>
>>1428235
You should keep looking around then for a better offer if you want Shanghai. Are you in China now or applying from abroad? Shanghai should be able to pay almost double that offer.
>>
>>1428276
Do yourself a favor and pick China so you don't kill yourself on working hours.
>>
>>1428433
Abroad, but thanks for the insight.
>>
>>1428435
>JET and EPIK

>killing yourself on working hours

Lol wat. It's the opposite.
>>
Sup, /trv/.
I did a year in Seoul and I'm on year 4 in Tokyo. Feel free to ask anything.
>>
>>1428554
What's your creds? Salary? Hours worked? Cities worked? Best company to work for? How do you handle a class of kids who act out?
>>
>>1428554
Ive done Japan, now thinking of doing Korea. Is it worth it and Seoul vs Busan?
>>
>>1428570
>creds
Not counting the experience I have now, just a bachelor's. I guess I should also add that I got my current job partly due to knowing some Japanese too.

>salary
Besides my private lessons on the side (I also do lewd 2D commissions for extra money) roughly 250,000 yen/month, which is pretty standard meme salary. But actually it's not standard for me it's really good because I...

>hours worked
...only work 20 hours a week with 2 classes a day. So I am getting meme full time pay for part time hours. My job is not at all typical and I got lucky but it is indicative of there being better stuff out there than just the standard options to get your foot in the door once you are here.

>Cities worked
Just Seoul and Tokyo

>Best company to work for
For Korea I can't say about companies because I did one year of GEPIK. Try for the EPIK/GEPIK thing.

For Japan, as far as standard outside Japan starter hires I would say in terms of companies it is unequivocally ECC.

If you don't care where you end up in Japan try for JET first choice definitely. If you really care and really want to be in Tokyo or whatever try ECC. Failing ECC, AEON. The other options probably aren't worth it. Maybe Interac could be decent, but there pay is on the wrong side of 250k at this point from what I have gathered and it may be better to just try ECC or even AEON again. Can't enthusiastically recommend AEON but it can be bearable depending on your situation/location/staff and it is easy enough to quit and still have your visa. Japan doesn't work like Korea. Your visa is yours you aren't cucked by your employer.

>How do you handle a class of kids who act out?

With my current situation doing very small classes (1-7) of 1st-2rd grade age kids I just do it like I would if I were a parent. Take privileges away. I always play fun games in my class and any kid who acts out gets the privilege of playing taken away.
>>
>>1428575
Imho, Seoul or bust for Korea. Busan is ok, but it's no Seoul. I guess it depends on your personality.
>>
>>1428583
Thanks!
>>
>>1428575
why korea
>>
>>1428738
I visited once while staying in Japan, and really enjoyed the character, food and sights of the city. Kind of like a slightly more grubby, spicy Japan.
>>
>>1428738
Great public school jobs, comfy good quality of living. Lots of reasons to choose korea.
>>1428789
Yeah I enjoyed my year in GEPIK, fond memories of Korea. Not the best place to go on vacation but comfy place to live.

GEPIK/EPIK is harder to get now. Haven’t kept up on the Korea scene but as far as I know it’s still scaled back to only elementary schools and the jobs are more competitive.

Korea has (arrogantly and erroneously) come to the conclusion that their Korean English teachers are sufficient. Le dancing monkey is an incredible resource for the kids who actually like English, so you are doing the best students a big disservice.
>>
File: 1525688569376.png (20 KB, 601x440)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Do you use powerpoints when teaching? Surely there must be some kind of online forum where they would be shared with others instead of having to make them?
>>
>>1428852
>They think Korean teachers are just as good.
"Do you cock (coke)?"
>>
>>1428852
>so you are doing the best students a big disservice.
english shouldnt even be taught in schools anyways. english = success logic is pretty retarded when most of them are going to stay in korea and only interact with other koreans. and dont give me that "muh globalization" bullshit. billions of dollars wasted on retarded, underqualified, lazy ESL teachers that just fuck around the entire time and become a depressed alcoholic.
>>
>>1429021
Back when I was in Korea I used the Waygook forums for powerpoints amd templates a fair amount.

Do try to take some initiative and make your own lessons and materials once in a while. Do not be that guy that does the bare minimum.
>>
>>1429047
>english shouldnt even be taught in schools anyways. english = success logic is pretty retarded when most of them are going to stay in korea and only interact with other koreans

Math shouldn’t even be taught in schools anyways most them aren’t going to ever need to deal with sine and cosine in their llives they will just get some job that doesn't require it.
>>
>>1429047
Lol did an ESL teacher pump and dump your girl?
>>1429059
Exactly. Plus most well educated people do speak English worldwide regardless of whether they leave their country or not. It's a part of a well rounded education.
>>
>>1429059
>>1429063
why english? they're right next to the largest country in the world by every measure. china has the biggest population, biggest economy, basically the future of global trade yet they learn english over chinese? when they're nowhere near an english speaking country and if they do work abroad, they're more likely to go to china than any other country? korea does business most with obviously china and japan and the surrounding asian countries. yet english seems to have the most priority for some reason. yeah makes a lot sense.
>>
>>1429067
You don't get it do you flip hapa. The world language is English. If you want to make money internationally, you speak English. The second most common language spoken in almost every country in the world is English. Get over it.
>>
>>1429077
not a flip hapa and not even asian. heres the list of most spoken languages, 1 being the most common:
1. china
2. spanish
3. english
english doesnt even come second. so if koreans truly wanted to speak a "world language" it would be chinese or spanish.
>if you want to make money internationally, you speak English
how retarded are you? trillions of international money is being made in east asia. from china to korea to japan. and i guarantee you none of them are using english to communicate with each other. international does not equate to just western countries, you fuck.
>>
>>1429085
Can you even read English? I didn't say most common in every country. I said second. Let me break it down retard style for you. The first language is someone's native tongue. Second language as in ESL, is English.

Chinese is only good in China. Japanese is only good in Japan. Korean is only good in Korea. English is good worldwide. You bet your ass they speak English to each other.
>>
>>1429106
english is good worldwide? youre acting like every country speaks fluent english as their second language. hardly anyone in asia besides singapore and philippines speak fluent or even conversational english. same in central asia and the middle east. south america is also very very minimal english. even eastern europeans hardly now english. just because everyone knows how to say "hello, bye, yes, no" doesnt mean "muh engleesh iz guud wurldwyde" ya dumbass cunt.
>>
>>1429115
Again, where did I say everyone speaks fluent English? Where did I say people in Central Asia speak English? Only the highly educated people in the world speak English. I posted proof that English is the second language of the world. You didn't even understand what that meant. All you have are insults and bullshit you pulled out of your ass. Stop shitting up this thread and fuck off.
>>
Official plebs ESL teachers trigger power rankings

1. Jelly Weebs who don't even have the measly bachelors degree required to fuck off to weebland

2. r/asianmasculinity incels

3. disillusioned rat race “real job" cucks

4. Jelly non-Anglobro people who speak English well but can’t go to weebland because they’re not native.

Daily reminder all bashing of ESL teachers comes from one of these kinds of people no exceptions.
>>
>>1429125
>>1429138
ESL power rankings:

1. yellow fever

2. incels back home

3. too lazy and too autistic to find a real job

4. thinks that moving to another country will solve his shitty life but just ends up being more depressed and suicidal and a raging alcoholic in a foreign country
>>
>>1429141

5. just wanted to see a different part of the world and get paid to do it without having to join the military (again)

Feels good, man
>>
>>1429138
Based
>>1429141
Imagine being this pathetic you come to a thread and shit on people doing what you could never do.
>>
>>1429170
>doing what you could never do
you're absolutely right. i could never be an ESLer out of pure shame and embarrassment to be associated with people that do that. Plus, I have a stable, well-paying job so why would I put up with bunch of little gook monkeys running around and drinking myself to hopeless oblivion every night in a tiny, shithole studio apartment?
>>
>>1429178
Kek. You just keep replying.
I doubt you have a well paying job compared to what teachers get compensated in China now. Its a minimum of 3500€ month, rent free in Shanghai alone for 20 hours a week of work. But yeah go ahead and say it's shameful wagecuck debtslave.
>>
>tfw native English speaker but only my Uni degree had English as the language of instruction

There is no way around this if I want to teach in Japan other than applying for JET, right? All the other companies I've seen require 10 years of schooling with English as the primary language of instruction.
>>
File: 1530721969425.jpg (99 KB, 395x669)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>1429178
HahHahahahahahah hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>1428583
How the fuck did you get such a laid-back job at an eikaiwa, and in Tokyo of all fucking places??

I'm doing JET currently and I can't fucking stand it. The "city" I'm in is falling apart, full of old people, and the other alts here are the most autistic shits imaginable.

Anyone curious about JET can ama, but keep in mind JET experiences vary fucking wildly.
>>
>>1429241
I teach in Vietnam but I highly doubt they check the language of instruction of your schooling if you have a 4 year degree.
>>
>>1429138
great post but switch 3 and 1 IMO

Imagine spending two hours a day commuting, not saving any money, and coming on 4chan after working a 10 hour day and getting triggered at people saving more money than you while working 20 hours a week? There are actually people in this very thread like this and I'm lolling IRL just thinking about them

Death to America
>>
Right now I'm teaching English in Brasil. When I got here I was making $1500 a month and Now I'm making close to $3000 after 3 months. I live in a upper class area in near down town Sao Paolo and I live better then %90 of Brazilians. Back home I was slave waging barely able to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment and now I live in a upper class studio apartment. I also didn't have health insurance back home and now I have dental/medical insurance. I went from being a neet in the Sates to a sucessful teacher.

If you are gonna teach English NETWORK. Try to get clients that work in finance, banking, tourism, RICH PEOPLE, etc. If you are white, native english speaker (it helps if you know portuguese), and outgoing you will be in HIGH demand here in brasil. I live better then some doctors and lawyers for christ sake. I don't know why more anons arn't coming to brasil.
>>
>>1429583
Gives us a few interesting stories of your time. Things you couldn't have imagined your JET experience to be like. Thank you.
>>1429613
Exactly. Wagecucks have the old image that we make nothing but peanuts and hate ourselves for it. Times have changed and I'm loving it.
>>
>>1429615
Unironically, the fear of violent crime at any moment comes to mind when I think of Brazil. Glad you're doing well Anon. I'm happy for you and I hope my presumption of Brazil is wrong.
>>
>>1429617
Well I live in a very good area (mix of professionals, government workers, career military dudes, business owners, expats) and all my clients are richfags so I avoid all the low income areas where violent crime happens. The worse that happened to me was when I was when some favela kids tried to pickpocket me near downtown.

And thanks glad I left the USA.
>>
>>1429047
>most of them are going to stay in korea and only interact with other koreans

Almost all internationally recgonized higher education programs are going to be in English. Most people in Asia that run stuff have some form of western education, XI Jiping living in the USA for two years. UCLA is a major networking hub for anyone that is anyone in Asia. If the kid wants to really go far he is going to need english, it's actually depressing to meet very intelligent Asians in their mid 30s breaking their backs to learn english because they can't get promoted. They even do a lot of professional development in English. It's not 100% necessary, but to only offer that edge to the elite students from a young age is somewhat unfair.

Japan started with the English craze, Korea followed, now all the other countries are trying to get in on it. You can look at the economic development as it relates to stressing english and judge for yourself. Reality isn't always what we want it to be.
>>
>>1429669
>Thinking ESL is only in Asia.
It's all over the world. 1.5 billion people speak, or learning English. It's the language of international business.
>>
>>1429679
I'm not sure how you got that from my post. I was simply using Asia as an example because I taught there. I couldn't really weigh in on other areas because I don't have any personal experience with them.

The industry is also the most profitable in Asia and the Middle East.
>>
File: 1525364260384.jpg (55 KB, 500x375)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1425157
>>1425597
For some reason I read past this post several thinking it was replying to somebody else...

not a big company, a small language centre in a rural Dong Nai province. Very basic living, but comfy in some ways like good food.

I quit it today btw, last day is a month away then I move to HCMC because I went there and literally walking past places on the street people wanted to talk to me and probably hire me too. Thank you though, I quit my job because of this advice and I don't regret it just yet
>>
>>1429745
Very happy you did that Anon. Being taken advantage of is never good and I wish you the best at your new job. Hope it's way better than your previous shit job.
>>
>>1429616
I could have never imagined the sheer childishness of it all, it's like highschool 2.0. ALTs fucking each other like rabbits, teen romance drama, or American sluts immediately heading for the nearest US military base for dick. One girl with a fiance back home managed to get fucked by two army fags, one of whom sent pics to her fiance, the poor fucker. She broke contract after this and went home a week later. People having mental breakdowns constantly too, and all this absurd cattiness and cliques.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the people who treat shit wayyyy too seriously, the "I'm a real techer!!" cunts who are always trying to suck the board of education's collective dick. They're most comparable to the goody-two-shoes kids in elementary school who would take it upon themselves to police the other kids for teacher. Absolute scumbags, always willing to throw you under the bus if it makes them look good to the Japanese, who really couldn't give a shit about the disposable fucking ALTs. Like, they pride themselves on being great teachers, but instead of interacting with the fucking kids, literally half our job description, they ensconce themselves in the staff room on their laptops all the time due to anxiety and autism.

Lots of sexual misconduct/scandals too. I'm at the word limit but I can go on and on if people are interested. JET is a real eye-opener.
>>
Does anyone work at Interact? This seriously sounds fucking insane.

"Interac ALTs can expect to:

- Start things off right with an intensive (paid!) initial training and orientation session
- Work Mondays to Fridays with scheduled teaching hours between 8 am and 5 pm and reclaim your work-life balance (there will be a few times a year when schools will have special evenings or weekend events)
- Attend on-going skills development and training programs
- Become an important part of your school and local community
- Take advantage of Interac’s Career Navigation Program (CNP) and build portable skills you can leverage in the classroom or take with you into a potential staff position like recruiter, head teacher, trainer, or even office staff"
>>
>>1429213
Lmao, what the fuck. Average teachers in SH don’t make anything even close to that. And rent is absolutely never covered.

The few guys making 20,000 - 25,000 rmb have more than 3-5 years of experience and are busting their asses for 40 hours a week. 20 hours? Lol. where do you get this bullshit.
>>
>>1430024
>The few guys I know
Wow great sample size. Have you even tried looking for a job? See pic related. Housing included, higher salary than your friends. This was just from a 2 second Google search. Try actually going to the schools and negotiate salary, hours, and benefits. It works much better. Online isn't the best route to seek the best situation.
>>
>>1429967
Lol. Wow those autists sound terrible to be around.
>Sexual misconduct
Please go on...
>>
>>1429583
>How the fuck did you get such a laid-back job at an eikaiwa, and in Tokyo of all fucking places??

Well as I said, my job isn't super typical and luck was involved. But basically I had already been in Tokyo for a year and half so that's important to keep in mind. (My first job was just AEON and my placement was in Tokyo). Your options do open up if you are already here with a visa. Basically I replied to an online posting which was posted by a recruiting agency, I had to have a Japanese level check on the phone, so also knowing some Japanese helped me. I passed the level check and had a second in person interview with the recruiting company. After that I had another interview with the actual company which was more like formality, then I got hired.

So some luck/timing, knowing some Japanese and I guess just being an appealing candidate with experience besides that.

It's not an eikaiwa really by the way. More like a kids' afterschool/juku.

>>1429967
>ALTs fucking each other like rabbits
Haha how does this even work? Most of the males would just be inevitably concentrating on Japanese girls no? The really pay the ALT girls any mind?

>>1430014
>Start things off right with an intensive (paid!) initial training and orientation session

Kek. Is that verbatim?? Dat exclamation point. I'm dying over here.
>>
>>1429583
I got into JET this year, leaving in about 20 days. I can confirm that a lot of JETs are hyper-autistic.
>be me, about to walk into my interview
>see another guy in a suit, get to talking about the interview
>ask him how he'd answer one of their curveball questions, like about Trump
>"I hope they do, I have a few choice words to say about that fucking clown"
>he got in
>run into another guy coming out of interview
>wearing pic related indoors
>"my interview was annoying, they asked me a lot of situational questions I didn't like that" as he rubs his hands together
>he also got in
And some gold questions from orientation
>my mother has separation anxiety, how often should I visit her?
>I have tattoos, how should I dress outside of the classroom?
>what's the spider situation like?
>>
>>1430061
That looks like an international school, so it’s not representative of the average teaching job there.

Also, a lot of times these agents and schools will say they pay 25k - 30k rmb but then pull a bait and switch and say something like, “Sowwy, we can only afford to pay you 16k” and won’t budge in a negotiation. It’s essentially clickbait to get people’s attention.
>>
>>1430435
Lol I remember a lot of the autists from AEON interview. One guy was wearing white athletic socks with his ill fitting Dad suit. Another guy was just wearing an argyle zip up instead of a suit at all.

Congrats on getting the job though, where is your placement?
>>
>>1423466

P-please respond.
>>
>>>/int/91895476

Meant to say p-please respond to this.
>>
>>1430498
Thank you! I'll be in the Hyogo prefecture. My placement is somewhere in between rural and urban, looks pretty comfy
>>
How do you be Artists at Eikawai thoguh wheb your job requires intense people skills for 6 hours a day minimum
>>
>>1430787
China
>>
File: IMG_20180411_005511_790.jpg (1.19 MB, 1960x1960)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
So I just finished my contract teaching in Taiwan and honestly, the whole experience was remarkably underwhelming. I can't say it was "bad" but I will say that I spent a lot of time being bored. It really felt more like an overpaid babysitting job most days no matter how much effort I put into lesson plans and prepping for classes. The worst part was the school for which I taught. While the staff was nice enough, they absolutely REFUSED to discipline kids who continuously broke the rules, up to and including physically striking other students. As a result, they continuously acted like little shits and got away with it.

The best part, naturally, was living in another country. It made me realize that family is truly the center of any civilized society and that we should all aspire to be kinder and more patient. I got paid decently but the amount of fees and 18% tax rate ate through my check pretty quickly. I still saved up a decent chunk of change ($5k USD) in spite of all that, but hot damn did I miss the US.

Ask me anything about my experience. I've got plenty of time.
>>
>>1431135
If you're bored then you're boring. Stop waiting for others to make your experience aboard better.
>I'm American
Yeah no shit, we can tell.
>>
>>1431136

>aboard

I'd expect nothing less from someone who teaches overseas
>>
>>1431143
God forbid a typo!!! Those never happen and certainly not with a phone autocorrect.
>>
>>1431145

>getting irate over a post on an anonymous Mongolian soup making board

There's a reason you went overseas: you're too weak to make it in the West, so you want to feel big in another country. I'm willing to bet you're also ugly as sin and unlikeable all around but your status as a Westerner maintains an aura of mystery to Asia broads, therefore giving you a free pass to be as autistic as fucking possible in real life and online. Did I read you correctly?
>>
>>1431171
Kek. Jesus that projection is pathetic. Seek mental help.
>>
Anyone have experience working for a university in china? I hear the perks are pretty good: accommodation is provided, low working hours, more free time. Obviously the pay is shit but that’s the trade off.
>>
>>1431135
who gives a shit? you sound like a fucking loser who taught at some third rate kindergarten
>>
>>1431135
The more interesting question here would be, what were YOUR expectations before coming here?
It seems like you imagined some sort of white guy fairytale wonderland and were let down by having to actually work and pay taxes.
Welcome to real life.
>>
>>1431135
Is that temple in Feng Chia?
>>
>>1431135
Did you honestly think other countries didn't have taxes? lol
>>
Can you teach English in Tibet? I never thought about that before.
>>
>>1431373
A quick Google search reveals yes you can, but I can't really speak to it. Why would you want to teach English there?
>>
>>1431431
REAL (tm) TRAVELER credit points
>>
>>1430192
>>1430207
Japan is absolutely fucked for sexual misconduct. Last year one Japanese teacher was taking upskirt photos, our schools got a memo about it, saying he had been fired. But another Japanese teacher was found to be taking photos of junior high school students, having them do sexually provocative poses "like idols", and this year he was promoted to vice principal... I know of an ALT who had an affair with a married JTE, so the teacher he worked alongside in the classroom. They had a falling out, and she access him of being in possession of weed. Being a gaijin, the cops raid his apartment dicks swinging, only to find nothing. She starts stalking him too, so the board of education decides not to recontact him (keep in mind, you have to try quite hard to get fired from JET) as they cannot guarantee his safety from the jilted ex-lover turned stalker. So he left, but she still works here. Fucking your JTE is aparently pretty common; I was drinking in a bar once and I start chatting to the gaijin next to me, as one does. I mentioned I'm doing JET, and he says he did it back in the early 2000s. He's now married and living in Japan. Turns out he was meeting a former JTE at the bar for drinks. Both are married... but she comes in and gives him a hand-made bracelet (matching one she is already wearing) and proceeds to talk about how hard being a mother and wife is, how much she doesn't get along with her husband... all while touching the shit out of him, with both getting steadily drunker. I left before them, but I did note that just behind this bar is a love hotel. And another JET I know of started fucking a high school student he met at church. This was an ongoing thing, and an open secret, but in the end nobody gave a shit. In Japan, there's this attitude of better left alone, which I can appreciate for some things, but not so much for teachers abusing students.

1/2
>>
>>1431531
2/2

In terms of ALTs dating each other, this is incredibly common too. Japan is alien as fuck, and the women are incomprehensible. 1 in 10,000 won't be boring as fuck, willing to break tatemae and actually willing to date a gaijin, so actually meeting someone cool is really difficult. I've actually really lost that starry-eyed wanderlust towards Japanese women I had when I got here; now I find most of them eye-rollingly tedious. And because the culture is so oppressive and uniform, a lot of girls (and men too) just go off the fucking rails. I've met so many girls with obvious mental issues. Self-harm, compensation dating, girls being sexually abused at work, everything. And even if you do manage to meet someone cool, they're gonna be busy as fuck and rarely able to meet. And the men, most won't ever approach a Western woman, and Western women will mostly not approach them. A lot of Japanese guys find Western women too loud and domineering anyway. THEREFORE the only people left for ALTs to date are each other, people with a shared culture and free time. There's some really lovely couples that form like this, but there's also the high school-esque drama from break-ups, as now the once mostly cohesive ALT community has to choose sides. Male ALTs are definitely at an advantage in Japan; they can pursue Japanese and Western women, whereas female ALTs, even if they like Japanese men, won't always have those feelings reciprocated.
>>
>>1431262
>>1431269
>>1431348
>>1431136

ITT: Butthurt TEFLosers who can't bear with the fact that teaching abroad isn't the answer to their autistic fantasies

>>1431135

A fucking heavy dose of reality for all of you. This guy got off easy: all he had to complain about was being bored. The rest of you will get cheated on your paychecks, frowned upon by the local population, and remain stagnant in life until you realize TEFL isn't the fairytale you thought it would be. Enjoy capping out at $20/hr, fags
>>
>>1431531

>she access him of being in possession of weed

>Japan

>weed

Oh god I couldn't imagine how low quality it must have been
>>
>>1423966
sounds like you're already set, just play some bill nye for them on the rolling vhs deck to fill out the class
>>
>>1429141
what if you're all four?
>>
Has anyone here taught in Georgia, Armenia, or a similar country?
How was it?
>>
Is there a program similar to JET or EPIK where you can teach English in China and not worry about being scammed?

Or is teaching in China always like the wild west?
>>
>>1431596

I read somewhere that Disney China offers an experience similar to that but doesn't give a damn whether you stay or go. People run through those schools like diarrhea because of how lousy the conditions are
>>
>>1431596
Ryan no
>>
>>1431596
The Canadian government does put something on to teach English in China.
>>
>>1424655
>including myself.
Maybe, but maybe you are projecting to make yourself feel better. I find that happens a lot. I talk to some defeated ESL teacher that didn't even want to teach in the first place and they keep asking me questions until they find something that went wrong back home and decide that's why I am there teaching.

>yeah so did anyone in your family die?
>how are your finances?
>what jobs did you work?
>did you ever have a gf back home?
>got any kids or ex wife?

etc etc etc

It's called confirmation bias and you have it. I actually love living in Asia and teaching, it's pretty simple.

>>1431231
I do, your results will vary. It can all come together if you like the area you are teaching in and make at least 1k a month with housing and utilities paid. It really depends on the type of person you are. I can't stress researching the area enough. Uni classes are pretty chill there. I had a good time. You could actually do one of the 700 dollars a month deals but you wouldn't save anything. It's not even that bad if they include housing though. One thing to ask is if you get paid during vacation, then do the math. Some schools will offer 1200 a month but no pay during vacation. Some schools will offer 700 a month but a paid vacation. Depending on how much time they give you off the pay rate may not be that different when you take that into consideration.

>>1431596
There isn't a set program but there are public schools and unviersities. In Beijing they tend to honor their contracts. They will be more conservative and by the book when it comes to the rules too.
>>
>>1431826
>guys I swear I just love being a dancing monkey singing the ABC it’s my passion and I love Asia...for the CULTURE!!
>>
>>1431830
yeah, ok
>>
>>1431843
;-)
We all know it buddy don’t worry
>>
>>1431830
Why are you in a thread about ESL teaching? Just to shit it up? No one cares what you think. You're a debt and wage slave just jealous people are making more than you and have more free time than you. That much is apparent.
>>
>>1431885
Ooh someone’s ABC nursery rhyme pride feeling a little hurt?
>>
>>1431135
how much did you get paid per hous?
how long did you work there for?
where is that picture from?
>>
>>1431885
he's right though
t. ESLoser
>>
>>1431943
Mock ESL all you want. It's just pathetic you have to come to a thread to do it. No one listens to you at home?
>>1431958
It doesn't bother me. People act as if a job is beneath them or that you always get to do want you want during employment. Truth is there are always things you don't want to do for a job. Anyone saying otherwise has never worked. I've done both ESL and worked in IT making a shit ton of money. ESL is more satisfying.
>>
Any AEON-anons here can tell me about the demographics of their students? Mostly kids or adults? Men or women?
>>
>>1431985
Seek mental help.
>>
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 215x234)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>seek help bro i'm like seriously the only sane ESL teacher like i went there for higher motives
>>
File: 1527397366636.jpg (1.93 MB, 2004x2290)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
Why can't we all just get along?
>>
>>1432147

TEFLers can't cope with the fact that they've pigeonholed themselves into a job that will quickly grow stale and put them into a near-constant cycle of depression and denial. But hey, at least they aren't a loser back home anymore. Now they're a loser abroad.

Non-TEFLers are envious of people who took a chance and lambast the decisions of others to feel better about themselves.
>>
>>1432147
Because people on anonymous boards can be what they want to be instead of what they are. They deal with their life disappointments by by bickering about who is better with the next anon.
>>
>>1431982
Used to work for AEON. That was about 3 years ago. At least at the time, they had what were called A Schools and B Schools. A Schools are adults only, B Schools are both. The emphasis will be on adult students in any case. You should expect around 1/3 of your classes to be kids, 2/3 adults I would say on average.

Are you applying to AEON? I can give you any advice I can, though it may be slightly (3-4 years) out of date. Though I don't imagine much has changed drastically in terms of the application process or the experience.
>>
>>1432245
>Projection
>The post
Enjoy your dead end debt slave lifestyle.
>>
>>1432147
Anti Western government just might fund efforts to discourage people from learning english, as well as discourage people from teaching english.

Am I suggesting some folks are actually crazy enough to pay trolls to sabotage the esl industry at every corner because they would prefer their language be taught as the language of international business?

Of course not, that would be paranoid and insane.
>>
>>1432435
Why though? Why are you so personally, tenaciously offended by ESL teachers?

There is no way you can be happy with your own life or situation to come onto an anonymous Cambodian Etch-A-Sketch website and spew bile and hatred at people halfway around the world whose existence has literally no bearing on you or what you do.

This shit is not healthy.
>>
>>1432452
Interesting hot take, but it pretty much boils down to weebs jealous of weebs with bachelor's degrees and virgin-with-rage Asian men.
>>
I love how this one ESLoser here keeps shitting on other as “debt slaves” because he lives off 16k RMB in a tier 4 and fucks some chlamydia ridden nong pussy.
>>
>>1432480
>heh yeah she's hot but i bet she has an std you know?
>16k RMB? I bet he doesn't even have a full sized sedan with leather seats that his soon to be girlfriend said looked cool
>I'm actually going to look up what tier city he is in and bring it up every time he says he loves the atmosphere around his school

go get those guys kiddo, they can't take this heat!
>>
>>1432472
Judging by the hate in this thread I'd say you're right. Every thread involving ESL, or Asian women always get the same type of hate posters.
Just look at this guy >>1432480, he's the prefect example.
>>
>>1432480
t. "Kevin" Chang, ABC incel.
>>
>>1431952

Apparently I set off some sort of shitstorm with my post.

Per hour, I got paid 600 NTD. Of course, that's only the money you get paid for actually teaching. Prep time is not compensated, though that was something I understood from the start. I worked in Taiwan for six months and I loved the place but I wasn't a huge fan of the school at which I worked. The temple in the picture was somewhere in the Xinzhuang district... what you don't see is the buildings around the temple, all of which are built out of concrete and nowhere near as decorative as the temple itself, but it's still a nice place.

If you ever visit, make a trip to Baoan Temple. It's probably the prettiest temple in Taipei and remarkably well kept with a lot of history
>>
>>1432429
Please do anon. Application and placement selection advice would be nice.
>>
>>1432545
>im from asia and im very proud
>the only reason a person would want to vist my country is sex tourism

pick one
>>
>got a job teaching Engrish in Southeast Asia
>begin training
>majority of other teachers are all young white guys from South Africa
>they’re all over 6 feet tall and very good looking
>one literally looks almost exactly like Liam Hemsworth

Fucking hell. Nobody told me I’d have be competing for teaching jobs with male models. I thought SEA and East Asia was an incel’s paradise.
>>
I have an opportunity to work in Kazakhstan at 1000 a week (for five days a week) or 1300 for six plus apartment either way. Is that any good for there? I have a year experience teaching in China and a bachelors, tefl and all that. I just chanced upon the job from a Kazakh friend I have.

The region particularly interests me as I have a recent interest in central Asia and I can practice my Russian while working on my Chinese. Then I will take an extended trip again like I am currently doing (currently in the west bank).
>>
>>1432802
If it's 1000 USD it sounds great man. As for the apartment, see what your friend thinks, I have no idea how much Kazakh apartments typically cost.
>>
>>1432585
Sure will do, I'll get at you with a pretty detailed write up.
>>
>>1432681
Do you work in Phu My Hung? This sounds suspiciously like my company except that South Africans are everywhere in TEFL
>>
>>1432837
Not in Japan, but they don't count RSA passports as native Anglosphere like Korea and some others. Which really only a small sliver of South Africans take English as their native language.

Met a lot of South Africans in Korea though. Mainly Afrikaners. The dudes were really chill like Kiwis. The girls were all really posh and stick up the ass superior acting though.
>>
>>1432838
> stick up the ass superior acting though
Probably because they come from a country where 93% of the population want to kill or rape and kill them.
>>
>>1432840
Huh? Theoretically speaking, why would people wanting to rape and kill you make you posh and smug? I am not grasping how one would engender the other here.
>>
I wish I could fuck my JTE, so far it's been 6 weeks and all I have managed here is a few 30-40 year old sluts. The language barrier is real.
>>
>>1431533
One of the best posts in this thread! Trying to date another ALT.
>>
>>1431533
Are you white? Also same at the end of their day they are skinny and scream in sex but they produce ugly half kids.
>>
>>1432585

For the application, the essay question I was asked was "Why do you want to live and work in Japan?" Obviously, they have heard everything before, so don't worry about wowing them or standing out. You are not going to. I think what is most important here is showing them that you are serious about working in Japan and understand that AEON is a job. Do not simply babble about how much you like Japanese culture and want to live there. You can mention that, but say something about how working for AEON will challenge you/help you develop skills, and how you want to gain experience and help AEON grow as a business. Saying that, plus mentioning an interest in Japan I think is what they are looking for.
Submit your application. If your essay is common sense, says what they want to hear and free of punctuation errors, etc. You should be invited to attend an interview session. They will email you and tell you your application was accepted and to pick an interview session to attend. There are usually interviews weekly in New York and Los Angeles but also at other locations at different chance times throughout the year. I attended a session in Chicago. It doesn't really matter when you attend. Since Chicago was most convenient for me, I waited basically a whole month after my application was accepted to do my interview and they were okay with it. You'll just have to check the session schedule and decide.
Okay, so as for the interview session... It is over the course of two days. The first day consists of basically a presentation and QandA session by the recruiters, then a short English test, then you have to give a demo lesson. The second day is only for people who make the cut from the first day and is a one-on-one interview with one of the recruiters.
>>
>>1432930

First things first. Wear a nice suit. Look good. There will inevitably be some pretty typical clueless neckbeards/weebs at the session so use this to your advantage. Wear a tasteful, modern looking suit. Don't wear a black suit either if you can help it. Gray or navy.
So for the first day: The evaluation/interview starts as soon as you first catch sight of the recruiters. Be in this mindset. For mine, they were sitting at a table covered in pamphlets and stuff outside the conference room place seeing people as they went in. Proactively introduce yourself, smile, shake hands and make chit-chat. *I can't stress enough how important this is.* A lot of the people just awkwardly nodded, grabbed the pamphlets and shuffled in. Don't do this!! First impression is really, really important. Besides, when you are at your school you will do similar stuff in the lobby of the school, talking with students between classes. It shows them you can do it.
(Full disclosure as an aside: another foreign teacher I worked with at my AEON school for a few months somehow became buddy buddy with one of the recruiters, the same one who did my one-on-one interview incidentally. He basically told her once that he pretty much makes up his mind about who he wants to interview and hire almost immediately--keep this in mind).
So anyway, after you introduce yourself head inside and take a seat. They will do like a presentation and a Q/A. I guess I would say try to ask an appropriate question to show interest and that you are engaged.
After that you have to take a short English test. For this, I think the main thing is to brush up on commonly mispelled words (just review like the 100 most commonly mispelled words in English). Beyond that it is not that tricky. Maybe review parts of speech and like the formal names for tenses and such.
>>
>>1432931

After that they will break you into groups for demo lessons. So you will be given information on the demo lesson after they accept your initial application and you schedule the interview session. You will probably have at least a week to work on it, depending on what session day you pick. Don't sweat the demo lesson too much. Of course, make something simple and active. If I remember right you do have to turn in like a written lesson plan. I recommend verbs that you can act out and maybe some flashcards as a visual. I don't remember exactly but I think I based mine around can and can't some action.
At any rate, again, don't sweat it too much. No matter what happens, just smile and have enthusiasm and speak clearly. At AEON you teach their lesson. They are not hiring you to come up with lessons and create your own content. So if your demo lesson content is akward or doesn't work out don't worry too much. What is most important is how you present it and your attitude.
So, after the demo lessons you take like an hour break and then reconveine. This part is kind of like the Bachelor. The recruiters give everyone a sealed envelope that tells them inside whether or not they have made the cut and been invited back to the second day.
If you wore a decent suit, introduced yourself proactively and smiled and remained positive during your demo lesson no matter how it went you should be invited back.
The second day is pretty short. All it consists of is about an hour session one on one with one of the recruiters. So you meet the recruiter at the time and place in the letter.
>>
>>1432932

Here is what happens during this part: First, the recruiter will basically take out some AEON lesson material and walk you through how to present and teach it to a student. After that, you have to teach it back to him. He will leave the room for about 10 minutes. When he knocks on the door you have to roleplay. He is at that point pretending to a be a Japanese student, and you have to greet him, start the lesson and teach the shit he just taught you back to him. If this sounds utterly ridiculous--it is. It is obviously inredibly awkward with him pretending to be a Japanese student and you have to try go through it like you would a real student.
I actually bombed this part, and I think the recruiter kind of expects you to, so he can test you again. So I fumbled through it poorly, obviously felt pretty miserable about it. The recruiter acted kind of hard-ass and said shit like 'that was not good at all, are you sure we can trust you to be trainable?' etc., In retrospect, I think this part is a chance to see how well you can hold up in the face of criticism or reprimand from your manager at your school (luckily I did not end up having a shitty manager who did things like that). Just keep in mind if you tank it like me that it should not matter too much if you made a good first impression and as long as you keep your cool. If you tank it, don't panic and remember that I got hired after tanking it but doing the other stuff well.
After that part is over the recruiter will just go through some general interview kind of questions with you, ask you about placement preferences, etc. After that you are done.
>>
>>1432933

So, if all goes well they should get back to you in a few days telling you got the job. At this point, if you accept the offer, they will bring up placement preferences again. So, one decent thing about AEON at least is that provided you are willing to wait even a span of months from the time you're hired to somewhere opening up, you can basically be placed wherever you want. They will ask in general about your placement preference and whether you want to be in a metropolis (Tokyo, Osaka...) or a smaller kind of city (maybe like Nagano) or smaller than that. They will also ask you about preference for teaching adults versus children. If you want only adults they can do it, but remember that would limit your options for geographical placement further.
I was told that most people say they want to go to Kansai so be more prepared to wait potentially if you really want that. I just I had a strong preference for big metropolis and I was placed in West Tokyo suburbs (still only like 20-25 mins from Shinjuku) about a week after the recruiter said he would check about placements that fit my preference.

Let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>>1423580
Oy vey give me your gold fillings, goy!
>>
>>1423510
Speaking as someone who wholeheartedly took the path you're advising, I'd give anything to go back to being 20 and doing something like teaching english in a different country.

Marriage is meh at best, same with kids, and careers are basically just an endless exercise in avoiding getting fucked by corporate bureaucracy.
>>
So I'm skimming this thread and most people here seem to be automatically cut off because they're literal subhuman trash (non-native speakers, no degree, bad at making up stupid games for kids)

Me:
>have a B.A. in international relations from a top 50 university
>worked for 2 years after graduating in 2016
>have good command of the English language
How hard would it be to TEFL in a decent place like Taiwan? How soon should I begin the process? How long is a typical contract? What hoops do I have to jump through and if I'm placed in China, will I get in trouble for having read papers like the Epoch Times in the past (a paper by Chinese-American Falun Gong practitioners) and absolutely hating China's government? Do they screen for that?

Also I'm black, how fucked would I be? I'm considering this over Peace Corps as something to make me a real human bean before grad school/life.
>>
>>1431135
Why would I want to hear from a boring person?
>>
>>1433103
>have a B.A. in international relations from a top 50 university

They don't really put any weight on where you went unless your diploma says like Harvard on it. Just have the bachelor's. Major doesn't matter at all in unless it's English or Linguistics in some cases.

>worked for 2 years after graduating in 2016

Might matter if the experience is relevant.

>How hard would it be to TEFL in a decent place like Taiwan?

To get hired in a decent *place* like Taiwan? Not too hard. But differentiate between decent place and decent *job*. I wouldn't start with Taiwan. Taiwan is a bit of a hard nut to crack. They don't have a big government sponsored public school program like Japan's JET or Korea's EPIK. If you go Taiwan, especially starting, you will inevitably work at a shitty kindergarten buxiban most likely. I think even the English school company starter options in Japan are generally better than the starter options in Taiwan too.

How soon should I begin the process?
Well, for public school programs they generally hire mainly twice throughout the year, for September and April. You're almost certainly too late for this Sept. If you want to shoot for April 2019, start looking into things in fall and you would probably start the process in earnest in winter like December. Besides that the language schools and cram schools hire year round and you can apply any time.

>How long is a typical contract?
Usually a year.

>if I'm placed in China, will I get in trouble for having read papers like the Epoch Times in the past (a paper by Chinese-American Falun Gong practitioners) and absolutely hating China's government? Do they screen for that?

Come on m8 don't be ridiculous.

>Also I'm black, how fucked would I be?

Meh, uphill battle compared to whitey, but you should be fine. The people who have it the most rough are the ethnically East Asian native English speakers. Most desirable is white females. If Westerners do the recruiting/hiring you're fine.
>>
>>1433127
Cool, thanks bud. After some more reading I'm going to look into JET once fall applications open up. I like Japan much more and their site seems to be very user friendly and the requirements seem doable. And I'm assuming most of the people applying have an interest in Japan as far as "I watch anime and play video games" so it shouldn't be hard to distinguish myself.
>>
What's your strangest experience being a dancing monkey?

I had a kid once ask me what water tastes like in America. I told him it tastes like hamburgers. I'm Australian.
>>
>>1433129
>most of the people applying have an interest in Japan as far as "I watch anime and play video games" so it shouldn't be hard to distinguish myself.

Never applied to JET myself but yeah, any essay or interview question where they ask about your motivation or desire for coming to Japan, emphasize the work aspect and show them that you are not just there to weeb out on holiday. Talk about how you like kids and want to teach them. Of course you can also mention you are interested in Japan, but you have to show them you're serious about the job too.

I am currently in Japan myself, good luck. JET is a pretty good gig.
>>
>>1433143
Where are you located?
Can you give me like the most basic outline of your process? Like
>"I applied in Aug 17, Interview in Dec 17, Heard Back Feb 18..."?
Just the basic highlights of the process and about when they took place?

Also how important are public speaking skills? I sometimes sperg out and speak too quickly but I'm considering doing toastmasters to get better at this.
>>
>>1433145
Tokyo, I'm the former AEON guy, read my TL;DR post in this thread for an outline of that.

I was in Korea before that doing GEPIK which is basically like JET. I was a September start for that. I'm sorry man I can't really put specific dates on it step by step. It was 5 years ago at this point. And since it wasn't JET specifically it just wouldn't be helpful. Don't worry about dates of specific steps and stuff. *Just get started at the appropriate time*, and you will go from there with enough time and receive instructions about what is required and when.

I would recommend just waiting for a JET person's input, they are around these threads.

Looks like it follows this basic timeline (this post is only a year old)
https://travelsideoflife.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/jet-programme-application-process-timeline/

So a September/October application process start and for most people a July-August departure, so almost a year.
>>
>>1433138
Kek, I would never lie to a kid like that but I do appreciate the bantz. Australia does it again.

Don't know about strange, but one of my funniest memories is when one of the kids (Korean middle school) just comes up to me and goes

"Teacheeeerrrrr....(makes and X with his arms) RedTube...NO! Police hate me!!!"

If you don't know Internet porn is basically blocked in Korea and they were really cracking down blocking sites the year I was there.

Another time we were doing these speaking tests. Always good moments during those. The question was "What is your favorite sport and why?" And the kid says "I like soccer because I love playing with balls." Of course I busted out laughing and couldn't control it, the kid thought he fucked up the test so I had to assure him he got a good score and just told him never mind why I was laughing.
>>
>>1432930
>>1432931
>>1432932
>>1432933
>>1432935
Thanks anon! Though I am going to send an application via email since I don't have any AEON center anywhere near where I live (SEA)
>>
>>1433179
The application is always submitted online. If you are from SEA did you have at least 10 years of secondary education where English was the primary language of instruction. Look at the requirements. You have to be native or have had that much education in primarily English.
>>
Posting live from my office now, fuck I hate JHS kids.
>>
>>1433249
Same dood, aircon feels fucking beautiful.

But I really like my kids and they like me. What do yours do?
>>
>>1433249
Time to go home waito piggu
>>
>>1433103
I wouldn’t bother teaching in mainland China, unless you want to deal with staring, racism, limited dating options, etc.

Go with Korea, Japan, possibly Taiwan. Korea sets you up with a free decent apartment and pays well. They’re more 1st world and modernized. Same with Japan and Taiwan
>>
>>1433138

A chinese loli spanked my ass a few times. Shocked me when I turned around and saw her, grinning.
>>
>>1433283
Do they stare at your cock too? JHS guy checking in again, like my students but so draining and the pay is well, garbage. Still, it's JAPAN half the non-white plebs here would luck the cum off the ground to get in this position.
>>
>>1433286
I had an old man move from a further urinal to the one next to me just to stare wide-eyed at my flaccid mediocre cock and breathe heavily. Got the fuck out of there asap.

And yeah, there's so many illiterate Filipinos and Indians in English teaching now, it's disgusting. But I guess they're the only ones willing to put up with the shit working conditions and 2nd world quality of life that Japan has at the moment. As a result, the poor Japanese kids don't have a chance in hell at learning English.
>>
File: 1529728775952.jpg (802 KB, 1469x2104)
802 KB
802 KB JPG
im currently in hcmc right now.
people say its better to actually walk into the center with your cv and resume in person. is this the best way to go about it?
>>
>>1433289
How are they getting these jobs? Do they even have degrees or has Japan really lowered their standards for teachers now?

I thought the Japs were so thorough and concise and very strict with their standards. Like, "NO NON-NATIVE, NO WITHOUT DEGREE, NO WITHOUT EXPERIENCE. WE RUN THOROUGH BACKGROUND CHECK ON ROUND-EYE! WE TELL YOU LYING OR NOT!"
>>
>>1433289
No one is buying your bullshit except people as stupid as you are.

>>1433300
Don’t fucking listen to this absolute psychopath. I have a coworker who is Filipina. She neither disgusting nor illiterate. She’s lovely, has a college degree, and speaks English because you know fun fact, Filipinos can speak English! Skype lessons with Filipinos is common in Japan because Filipinos know English, it is cheap, and the time zone is the same.

Never seen an Indian English teacher myself. Mainly white Anglos so I have no idea where he gets off saying no one else puts up with teaching English in Japan.
>>
>>1433289
Perfect troll comment here because it acts on two 4chan triggers. Racsim, and being underqualified for even English teaching.
>>
>>1432513
>600 NTD
that's not bad, happy you had a decent experience friendo and thanks for the tips
>>
>>1433138
1. I was in a class with another teacher who is from the Philippines, and they thought she was American and I was from the Philippines. I'm white and British.
2. Some 12 year old screaming TENDIEEEESS in class
>>1433296
yes, absolutely yes. But present yourself well.
>>
>>1433351

Be warned, buxibans (cram schools) are notoriously strange places to work. Everything from wacky hours to random students being added into a class can occur. As long as you're good with sudden changes happening from time to time, you'll be set.
>>
>>1433138

I have a few:

>one student with clear learning disabilities (something not openly discussed in Taiwan) spent an entire hour-and-a-half picking his nose. I'm talking two knuckles deep in his schnoz

>Taiwanese girls constantly asking about "teacher's bum bum" and why it's so "biggu" (because I squat, you little weirdos)

>the time I farted next to a troublesome student and accidentally crop dusted the entire classroom. He wanted to act like a little shit so I decided he could smell like one too... but it got caught in my pants and I dragged it from one corner of the room to the other
>>
>>1433321
Flips have terrible accents though. Like real bad. You sure they can speak English?
>>
>>1433286
>>1433283
I fucked one if my students. She said she was 18, so whatever. It was fun. Japan is great.
>>
>>1433353
Kid literally asked the Filipina I work with "Are you Moana?"

>>1433355
>one student with clear learning disabilities (something not openly discussed in Taiwan)

Yeah same for Korea. Kid in one of my classes was clearly on the spectrum pretty severely but he looked normal physically. Since mental illness is more taboo in east Asia, obviously his parents must have been like "no son of mine's a retard" and insisted he be in the regular classes even though my school had special ed and a special room. He was a massive pain in the ass through no fault of his own. But he was kind of funny sometimes. He was obsessed with drawing street signs and did nothing but repeat the lines of some commercial for like the better part of a month. It was basically like "LIBILA TIMMAH!" level because that's the only thing he ever said.
>>
>>1433381
did she gasm? was she hot? was it just a one time ting?
>>
>>1433410
>kid in class won't be quiet
>punish him a few times for talking over me
>make him sit by himself
>he keeps talking to himself loudly
>realize he has some kind of tourettes problem
>has one of the highest grades in the class, probably because parents are loaded and pay for tutoring
>have to deal with him saying random shit really loud during class the whole year

He wasn't very nice either, he literally couldn't be quiet.
>>
>>1424553
Hi I just wanted to come here to brag about how I'm a JET in Tokyo
>>
Getting payed uner 200 for being an ALT because of all the public holidays in July. It is not a livable wage.
>>
Just got payed my ALT wage 160,000 yen lmao and 5 weeks of not working with only 100,000. This was honestly a massive mistake. They take the job so seriously they gave me a list of demands to improve all whilst paying me fucking nothing. I am AGAIN going to have to dip into my savings...aside from the fucking $4000 I already used setting up. 10,000 to the gas company because brother. I really should of just gone on holiday here.

The worst thing is I can't move to Interact as they pay about the same, ROFLMAO at Interacts costings, 1000 yen a day for food? More like 2000 minimum!

My life here is quickly becoming a nightmare of useless JTES trying to get me to do everything, bad weather and a 2 day weekend I spending washing, cleaning, ironing and have no money to do anything.
>>
>>1434097
>should of

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.