[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

> that 60 year old boomer who stays at youth hostels and snores profusely and then gets up and ready for the day at 5am

I’m usually a pacifist but incidents like this should qualify for justifiable homocide tbqh
>>
Snorers are selfish assholes but...

20yr old stacies that come back at 3am then rattle through their bags and switch on the lights to find their phone charger are the worst though. fucking retards WHY DID YOU SWITCH THE LIGHTS ON WHEN PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO SLEEP
>>
>those israelis who cook their smelly shit in the kitchen and occupy it like palestine for the rest of the week
>those australians who do nothing but drink alcohol and have only a passing interest in the country's destinations, history and culture
>those backpacker thots in their elephant pants, dreadlocks, vain tattoos and nose piercings
>that guy who spends the whole day in the hostel bed
>that guy who plays the guitar
>those backpackers who never eat out and cook everything
>that asian tourist who snores
>that fat tourist who snores
>that cunt who gets drunk, comes back late at night and snores
>those europeans who talk about nothing but trump
>that american who answers "where are you from" with his state and not with USA
>that cool backpacker who sits in the common room with his laptop shitposting on 4chan
>>
Thanks for making me 100% certain that it's better to rent a room in a hotel than go into 8 bed hostel room.
>>
>>1427231

hehe, pretty good list desu
>>
>>1427231
You forgot

>That landwhale german chick that fucks her way around the hostel

it's always a german or a scandi, who do people think they are kidding if they think they can get away with having sex in a dorm. Everyone knows and everyone thinks you're disgusting
>>
>>1427226
Snorers are selfish assholes
Selfish to has a condition who made them snore while sleeping ?!?

But you right about the lights !

>>1427244
Frankly, it depends.
I used to think like you, but I've had good experiences in some hostels.
Ear plugs and sleeping masks are basics in survival travellers kit
>>
File: ba7.png (223 KB, 500x357)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>That guy that checked out two weeks prior but still stored his luggage at the hostel and bummed off free showers because he knew the door code while sleeping in the dining room or mcdonalds around the corner
>It was new years and any other decently priced accom was 200% more expensive so he did this instead
>>
>>1427254
fail my quote ! Its was :
>Snorers are....
>>
and stares at me while i sleep

cant make that up
>>
>>1427254
>Selfish to has a condition who made them snore while sleeping ?!

Yes, considering a good 80% of them are overweight and expect everyone else to suffer through the night while they sleep soundly.
>>
>>1427258
Ear plugs are the solution bro !
I didn't like used them until I stayed in a hostel with air conditionner push for its maximum use !
That saved me the night.

In SEA I think its necessary
>>
>>1427231
Hahhahaha literally fucking nailed it damn met like 5 of these people yesterday
>>
>>1427255
Hmm op here you gave me a good idea I slept a super comfy couch in the theater at my hostel yesterday night and there’s no key required for the theater

Might have to do that for a few days...

Also Quebec City HI is amazing, only shitty thing Is the bunk beds are made out of the cheapest most rickety and noisy steel known to man

Literally sounds like someone banging pots and pans when you roll over
>>
> Those American teenagers who are in fucking Italy and spend every fucking night at the hostel watching Adam Sandler movies and complaining there's no fucking fettuccine Alfredo in Bologna, the fucking food capital of Italy reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>1427265
if it's a busy hostel it shouldn't be an issue
>>
>That french canadian guy that brought in a bag full of bed bugs and infested the entire room so you had to shower to the bone and throw away all your clothes

His back looked like a warzone, easily 80 or more bites
>>
File: alsatia8.jpg (36 KB, 450x600)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>1427250
I could rage about this for a long time. So many experiences of this, I decided to start getting private rooms at hostels.

>be 17
>traveling Europe with family
>16 year old cousin and I decide to carve out some independence and go to Milan alone
>parents think it's great
>we stay at a hostel just south of the Central railway station
>wake up around 1am to sex noises underneath
>bed shaking
>queef sounds
>heavy breathing
>think my cousin is one bunk over so I expect him to complain about it in the morning
>German voice
>heavy girl gets out of the bed and crawls into a bunk across the way
>skank
>wake up in the morning
>fucking realize it's my cousin down beneath
>he's all smiles
>fat German girl is snoring still asleep
>apparently he was a fucking virgin so he thought it was great
>after she gets up and gets breakfast see she looks like this

It grosses him out now, then he thought it was cool. I was just sick about it. I now see with German and Scandi girls everywhere.
>>
>23:30
>Lights are out in the room
>Dude walks in
>Switches on the lights
>Crawls into bed
>Starts snoring *immediately*
>Lights still on
reeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>1427254
What about thieves?
>>
>The 18-year old girl almost coughing up a lung during the night
>>
>>1427285
Theft is pretty rare, IME. Obviously don't leave your phone charging in the kitchen while you go for a walk through the town centre, but I've never had anyone steal anything from my bag.
>>
>>1427273
sex, it's just not worth it
>>
>>1427285
You don't turn deaf, ear plugs just attenuates the sound.
Plus, I was in Asia so no thieves and some hostels have security cam so even westerners backpackers weren't tempted
>>
>>1427300
>>1427332
That's good to hear. To be honest that was my main concern with hostels. Still I'm thinking abouth checking airbnb as an alternatve.
>>
>>1427224
Them little twerps that stay up late and then bitch when you get up normal time at 5am.
Little losers should stay somewhere else.
>>
>>1427283
Yeah. This or they take for fucking ever to turn the light off.

>>1427231
>That one hipster tourist who has nothing of substance to talk about so he just names off places he's been.
>That one sex tourist who brags about how many hookers he's slept with.
>That one French tourist who begs you to say something nice about France.
>That one lone Traveller who obviously lonely so you invite them to a night out with your group and make them happy.
>>
File: IMG_20180622_102824.jpg (1.51 MB, 1944x2592)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
People who leave there shit out like this while they fuck off for the day...ugh. I hope people steal ur shit. Clean ur shit up. other people shouldn't have to step over your exploded bag or move your shit to get to their space or locker just because your too much of a lazy cunt to pack up your shit. Just because your mother was more "4chan crowd funded fuck doll made from cheap meat" and less "suitable parent" is not an excuse for other people to have to navigate around your inability to not be disgusting and inconsiderate.

Rant.png
>>
>>1427355
Mate, I wish I had taken a picture of my last hostel room in Melbourne. It really looked as if some girl had just opened her suitcase and proceeded to throw literally everything in random directions. Legitimately almost no floor visible (4-person room).
Had to walk across all of her stuff. :^)
>>
>Being so poor you stay in hostels in SEA instead of renting out a 80 square meter, 2 bedroom apartment for the time your there.
Fucking summer, young cunt, poor fags
>>
>>1427359
>>1427283
>>1427273
>>1427257
>>1427255
based individuals
I revel in being a cunt in hostels
>coming into the dorm, throwing up all over the sheets and floor, then being forcibly moved into the next room along
>pinching anyone who snores
>taking free pints then leaving before they can ask for a round
>being loud until being forced out of common area
>russtling bags early in the morning
>>
>>1427224
>Staying in a hostel and expecting decency

stay poor
>>
>>1427352
Thanks
>lonely traveler
>>
Who /hostel/ right now?

I'm in Krakow right now, it's pretty comfy
>>
>>1427231
I have never stayed at a hostel, is this all I am missing? I get the social aspect but I like the privacy, comfort, and being able to order room service in a hotel.
>>
File: 1524422754588.jpg (35 KB, 622x626)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1427386
>>
>>1427406
>>1427406
It can be good if you're saving money.
>>
>>1427406
The only thing hostels are good for is saving money. If you travel for three months and you pay $15 for hostel bed each night you'll end up paying $1350 for accomodation. Now if you stay in cheaper hotels or AirBNB and pay $40 each night you'll end up paying $3600. That's already a difference of over $2000.

These $2000 you could use for:
>taking cheap flight instead of 20 hour night busses
>tours
>booking your flight there and back

Obviously if you have the money the cover the difference it won't matter. But then you will cut back on other things. If you bring a sleeping mask and earplugs (silicone ones are goat) the things others do won't matter to you. And do a bit of research to avoid party hostels and you will have enjoyable stays.
>>
>>1427442
oh, well im not a poor fag so I guess I am not missing anything then.
>>
>>1427443
I'm not poor either I just am smart enough not to get jewed out for 8 hours of sleep.
>>
>>1427442
>>1427443

This is not true. Hostels are a great and easy way of meeting people when travelling. In fact, I'd say it's one of the reasons you should stay at a hostel.

If you don't want to meet new people, then don't bother I guess
>>
>>1427485
What's not true about what I said? Hostels are great for saving money. If you want to meet people there are walking tours, meet-ups, Tinder, travel forums and other stuff. Meeting people is not something that is exclusive to hostels.
>>
>>1427485
Yes this is true. I made acquaintances with a few people while staying in Hostels, which later on they admit they choose the hostel for that purpose. Even they could afford hotels.

I for one use hostels in very expensive cities in which I would not be able to find any good deals. Otherwise I stay in hotels, even more in cheap cities where I can find great deals for 4* 5*.
>>
>hot as fuck out
>humid
>no A/C because europe
>everyone generally miserable and uncomfortable
>trying to sleep, only respite is the slight breeze coming in from the window
>retard faggot walks in at 1:30am
>first thing they do before even setting their bag down or getting ready for bed is shut the window

You fucking cunt. Fuck you. Wear fucking earplugs if you cant handle mild street noise. Youre in a HOSTEL in a CITY you DUMB FUCKING FUCK
>>
File: 1308168796001.jpg (10 KB, 251x249)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>Staying in a hostel in Sydney visting bros in town
>Dump my shit and about to head out at 6pm for dinner
>Bump into two northern british girls
>Didn't realise it was a co-ed dorm
>Introduce myself and be really friendly because this is not my first rodeo
>They get kind of flirty and tell me aussie boys are hot
>They tell me they'll be at a bar tonight and I should come
>Smile and nod
>Meanwhile, internally: HAHAHAHAHA GET FUCKED SLUTS I'M GOING TO GET SHITFACED WITH THE BOYS
>Home at 3am
>8-bed-dorm, only one other guy in the room who's snoozing
>Sneak into bed just in time for the door to CRASH in behind me
>Already have headphones on so I just lie there and pretend to be asleep
>Look through a half-open eye so I can judge whichever fuckwit made all that noise
>It's the two girls, giggling and dragging two blokes with them
>Oh no
>They fuck in what I assume is 'stealth' mode for an hour
>The following day one of them asks me if I'll be around for drinks tonight instead
>Give her one of these looks and just say 'no thanks'
>She leaves the room after a while
>Hungarian guy with limited English who was staying beneath me asks if I heard the 'business' last night
>Swedish guy who slept ABOVE them pipes up and complains voraciously
>Invite them out to drink with my friends so they don't have to suffer with it any more
>We have a great time
>>
>>1427231

>that gay american who stays around the bathroom all the morning with a towell around his waist
>>
>>1427231
why not reply with what state you're from?
>>
>>1427486

You said that's the ONLY thing Hostels are good for, which is not true.
>>
>>1427558
mutt detected
>>
>>1427558
Because it implies that the whole world knows everything about the USA as it is the center of the universe. I've never seen someone from Australia answer "where are you from" with: Oh, I'm from the Blue Mountains or I'm from Victoria!
>>
>>1427572
no, i cant imagine they would, cuz it would only be followed with "where is that?"
But everyone knows exactly where im talking about when i say im from florida.
>>
>>1427574
Why would someone from Europe know that? Do you know where the Ruhrgebiet or Südtirol is?

And what makes you think the third world person you are talking to knows that?
>>
>>1427582
Just going on experience here. Why do they know where Florida is? Pop culture would be my first guess. Tourism? They probably know someone who's been there.

I'm not going overseas and telling people I'm from Vermont and expecting them to know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>1427604
And your assume the pop culture from US, is the same everywhere ?
>>
>>1427582
>Südtirol
You mean Alto Adige?
>>
>>1427574
Buddy, most people in Europa, and nobody in Asia or Africa gives a fuck about Florida.

California, but do you really think anybody in Europe cares about North Dakota? Its a shit hole
>>
File: IMG_4160.gif (128 KB, 728x426)
128 KB
128 KB GIF
>>1427607
???
Nigger everyone knows where florida is in western civilization. Even in the rare case they cant pick it out on a map, they intrinsicly understand its a state in the USA.

This meme is so fucking stupid. I remember when i backpacked europe i actually believed it and tried doing it the autistic way like this board deems necessary
>"so where are you from?"
>USA
>"yeah i know that i meant like where from the US"
Every fucking time.

I just started telling people i was from new york. I dont give a fuck about your gay ass opinion, if you are staying in a hostel anywhere in the world, youre going to know where new fucking york is or at least know its part of the USA. Only problem here was people automatically assume i mean NYC, so i just ended up with "im from long island, new york".

Anyways, pic related, its you
>>
I'm europoor and I know some places in us
>new York
>Chicago
>Las Vegas
>pawn stars
>david letterman
>Alaska
>those crab fuckers
>man vs heart disease
>florida
>texas
>boomhauer
>seattle
>>
>>1427626
>nobody in Asia gives a fuck about Florida

lol you ever been to orlando?
>>
>>1427486
True, I met several people through tours when I go overseas.

Also no A/C is a bitch, and god forbid it's humid.
>>
>>1427572
I met a guy from Darwin once who always answered that question with "I'm a top lad from the Top End".
>>
>>1427640
10/10 will kek again
>>
>>1427572
I'm European. I'll grant you I'm weird about geography and know all 50 states, but I'm with Floridabro here. People from NYC or San Fran just say their city because everyone knows them, and most our age will know the most famous states. California, Texas, Florida, likely some others. People from lesser known US cities and states will say "Oh, I'm from Denver?" "Yeah, I'm from Wisconsin if you know where that is."
Only exception I've met are Portlanders. Arrogant fucks get annoyed when someone doesn't know their city.
>>
>>1427231
>that european couple that has to tell you how wrong america is
>that backpacker who has basically no money to his name and constantly takes everything from the "free" tray
>that american who laughs after literally anything being said to them
>that begpacker who is obviously not paying for a room but still staying and chilling in the common area, sometimes sleeping
>>
Bros I was considering staying in a hostel in Japan but this thread is concerning
>>
>>1427769
most of these posts are from people staying in a very broad range of hostels and such. European hostels are probably 80% of this thread in these stories. They are notoriously whacky and bad, use hostel world when booking a hostel, the only reviews on that site are from people who stayed there. You'll be able to spot the bad hostels or party hostels in a heartbeat. Japanese hostels are among some of the most well kept and quite hostels I've ever stayed in
>>
>>1427769
>>1427772
Yeah. the only hostel ive stayed in was in osaka, and i have no complaints
>>
>>1427772
>>1427774
Thanks dudes
>>
>>1427774
Yeah I've stayed in US hostels and other hostels, Japan's hostels didn't even feel like hostels unless I cheaped out hardcore and stayed some place for like 1000 yen(10buck), even then it wasn't that bad. I would gladly stay there again
>>
>>1427774
one morning i did some laundry. Put my stuff in the dryer and went to get something to eat. When I got back the woman working there had folded my clothes and put them on my bed
>>
>>1427231
>that guy who spends the whole day in the hostel bed
Fuck me lad, I've been in Sydney since Wednesday. There's a guy in my room who I've legitimately only ever seen in bed. Sleeping, eating, looking at his phone. Madness.
>>
>>1427798
>"maybe if i just mope around here looking bored and miserable someone will talk to me and invite me to do stuff"
Being an introvert i think i tried this for a few hours one time before i decided it was fucking retarded and went and did shit on my own.
>>
>>1427798
>go with friends to japan
>dude only sticks in the hotel
>dicks on his phone plays his laptop games
>only goes to the lawsons for some food or beer
>"dude this trip sucks"
>sometimes goes to an anime store when they have to clean the rooms
>complains constantly about nothing to do

Same dude who complained the whole time because in the group I told everyone 6 months out we should really make an itinerary of things to do so we aren't just dicking around akihabara the whole time.

This is why I like to travel alone
>>
>>1427800
only time I will ever spend all day in bed is often the first day since my flights are +10 hours and I usually have a layover. Just saying FUCKIT the first day to get well rested and adjust from the jet lag to let the rest of my trip in a good mood is worth it.
>>
>>1427224
>that stupid little fucker who decides to share his room with random strangers just to complain about their habits. why????
>>
>go by myself to japan for two weeks
>get lost in tokyo immediately but excited to be in such a cool place
>find my hostel, meet two bros immediatly
>roll out to akibahara with my new best friends like what the shit
>they leave after a few days
>make new friends in new hostel next week
>repeat

defeat your autism before traveling bros
>>
>>1427558
>>1427231
America is the center of the universe. Learn our states fags.
>>
>>1427604
So what You Are saying is, You reply with " I am a cunt , never speak to me again"
>>
>>1427492
I've never been in a situation like that, but reading that made me mad. Did you open the window again?
>>
Who are the worst hostel girls and why is it german girls
>>
>>1427406
I've always stayed at hostels because i'm travelling alone and that's an easy way to meet cool people and make friends, but from now on, i think i'll just stay sometimes in hotels for better sleep and improved recovery.
>>
>>1427540
I feel so sorry for British and American males, your women are absolutely abhorrent.
>>
>>1427769
The worst thing that has happened to me while staying in a hostel in Japan is that a deaf-mute middle-aged Hawaiian guy walked in on me in the shower.
>>
>>1427901
I am Australian, and I assume you were talking about British chicks, and I'm inclined to agree.

I love American women because they put out.
>t. Lives in Australia and has had more women from America than any other nation on earth by a factor of 2
Coincidentally, most of them are from Colorado.
>>
>>1427901
>>1427933
Brit here, our women are truly the worst both in looks and personality. I don't really understand the flak American women get, they're a step above ours but I did marry one so I might be biased.
>>
>>1427896
It's the Brits.
>>
>get asked where I'm from
>tell them I'm from the states
>yea but where
I'm pretty sure anyone can spot an American tourist from a mile away. I've only ever been mistaken for Canadian and that's because I bought a Canadian hat at the airport.
>>
>>1427962
>travel abroad
>get asked where I am from
>unless i say it is california, texas, florida, or new york it doesn't exist to europeans
>try to say in relation to where I am to known land marks for them
>explain where this state is
>get shat on when i don't know how to point out ever fucking EU country but know their names and where they are generally
>OI YOU BLOKES DON KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TRAVEL OR DA WORLD!

Like I understand you won't know literally everything about everything but the double standard is amazing when traveling
>>
>ask american where he's from
>the north west
>ok which state?
>really far north west
>ooooh ok

weird guy

>ask american where he's from
>California
>tell him if I'd visit the states I'd want to go to Ohio because of all the cool outdoor stuff
>he tells me he's actually from ohio but tells people he's from california bc he's annoyed of being asked if he's a mormon

What is it with Americans?
>>
>>1427971
Well, there is some difference between square state 1 that shares the language, culture, climate and literally the shape with square state 2 and two european countries that have completely different languages, cultures, histories and possibly even climates.
And it's especially frustrating when americans lump those two european countries together, as being basically the same, usually just because they shared an ideology for 40 odd years in recent history.
>>
>>1427355
>shit
>>
>that passive aggressive fatass who glares at you for getting up at 7.30-8.00am
Fuck me, if you want to sleep all day you should stay at home
>>
>hey anon where r u from
>Costa Rica
>So u live on an island, that's so cool!
Literally every time
>>
>Not knowing the majority of US states and EU member nations, let alone the majority of nations on Earth

What the fuck guys it's not that hard, this is /trv/ after all
>>
>oт кyдa?
>из кaнaд-
>OTTABA???

Every time
>>
>>1427978
I always say I am from california even though I live in arizona because no one fucking knows where that is. Trying to explain to someone who doesn't natively speak english or isn't keen on the US map lumps states and places all over the fucking place and it is too hard to explain
>>
>>1428218
>not printing off a map and flashing it to everyone until that one Chinese girl in France takes it and doesn't give it back
Also, for maximum gay, I would print off our state size, population, and population density in the local language/sq.km., just for kicks. It was a fun talking point.
>>
File: 6nw4wfSWAW-10[1].png (42 KB, 300x250)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>1428218
I introduced myself as "anon from nevada" at one hostel and they wouldn't stop making fun of me for 2 days. Now I just say I'm from California.
>>
>>1427893
Nope. I just stewed in a mixture of hatred and sweat for about an hour before i was able to pass out. If i got up out of bed it would have turned into a minor confrontation and woke half the room up, and then i would be even more mad and not be able to sleep at all for the whole night. Sucked it up and just dealt with it.

But yeah jesus fucking christ i was so mad. Literally the one source of cool air in a hot humid room with twelve strangers and you seal it off because your prissy little ears are too delicate to hear the occasional city noise. It was a window into a courtyard too, not a street, which just further pissed me off. If you are that much of a bitch, wear earplugs.

Shit like that is also why i eventually learned that tiny hole in the wall hostels are a trillion times better than large mega hostels. Even if the big spots have more shit, the little ones are always so much more homey and fun and youre more likely to be staying with other solo travelers and small groups rather than large groups of bogans who think theyre the funniest people ever and the center of the universe, or worse, koreans.

Speaking of koreans, wtf is their problem? So fake and plastic, even the men wear makeup. Always have the largest hardshell rolling luggage cases known to mankind, and always bring their own packed little meals and a trillion devices. Rarely travel alone, and refuse to mix with anyone else other than koreans. Seriously the most awkward fun hating people ever, they are unconfrontational to a fault. Only met one pair of koreans who were awesome, they had korean flag bandanas tied around their heads and were shit faced drunk playing drinking games at the hostel with everyone else.
>>
>>1427231
>that Czech chad who cucks you by sleeping with the only single girl in the dorm
fuck you Tomas
>>
>that Chinese backpacker who keeps turning on the radiator when it's 30C and humid as fuck
Kept having to wake up to turn it off.
Was ready to slap him by the second night
>>
>>1428218
>go to japan
>every hostel I am at get asked where I am from
>virginia
>where?
>on the east coast about half way down
>Like near NYC
>no
>near florida?
>no
>near boston?
>no, it's like near washington dc
>points to the state on the hostel 'where you from' map on the fucking west coast "here?"

To this day when I travel overseas anytime I go anywhere I always just say the bigger place next to me because trying to explain where shit is constantly gets old fast.
>>
>all those faggots that start talking about weed and Amsterdam after i tell them im from the Netherlands
>>
>>1427231
Spot on m8.

Fuck Israelis btw, 10% chance of them being cool. 90% chance of them being a group with other Israelis and not interacting with other people unless it's to bitch at the staff of a restaurant or the hostel
>>
>>1427485
It's also a really good way to remain in a bubble where all the people you're really meeting and connecting with are shaved head chubby Australian feminists in elephant pants. the British guy who likes LCD Soundsystem just a little too much, and all their friends.
>>
>>1427750
Yeahhhh I'm from Montana, I just tell them it's a place named after Hannah Montana and people genuinely laugh and I'll just leave it at that, or tell them it's cowboy country then they understand. Got a bud who just tells people he is from LA to make himself seem more 'cultured' than he really is, even though he moved to MT when he was 8 and has lived here since
>>
Plastic bag guy.
The guy with 20 plastic bags in his bag.
Every time so loud
Symphony of plastic bags
No.
>>
>>1427755
I'll do that in the kitchen's because I fucking hate seeing food go to waste.

>>1427800
Maybe he's hung the fuck over from a heavy bender? I always just assume that because I've spent quite a few days spending most the day in bed fucked from the night before.

>>1427971
This

>>1427978
Ohio has Mormons? You mean Utah?
>>
>>1427990
The culture and history in new york is completely completely from the culture and history in Florida. Language being a thing isn't really anything to wow about since I can go to places in NYC which even the street signs and local language can be in Korea, Chinese, Japanese, italian, russian, etc.

Sure they do share a lot on the national level of being in the USA but it's still majorly different in comparison. Don't even get me started on east and west coast differences, they essentially are like different countries. Though I guess if all you know about the east coast is some week you spent in NYC and then all about LA you know is some time you spent downtown, then sure it probably looks all the same on the surface
>>
>>1428402
Spotted the American

The entire country is a bland homogenized shithole, like western Europe is becoming but without any of the history. Same strip malls same suburbs same obese mutts.
>>
>>1428469
spotted the vassal state
>>
>>1428469
T. person who went to a major hub city, stayed downtown >90% of the time, and white washed all of america as being just that. It's so easy to spot people who went to one or two places in the US, then assumed "welp that's the whole country." Same as people who go to Tokyo and Kyoto then "saw basically all of japan and their historic areas"
>>
Brother and I stayed at a hostel in Utrecht, worst traveling experience of my life. We get in light because the European airlines are always on strike, but when we get they're we're surprised to find we're the only two people in the whole room. We go to sleep and at about 4:30 in the morning an entire I don't know what, maybe a soccer team or something comes in. They're playing music and screaming at each other while they all take turns in the showers. I don't even think they noticed us. It's not like we could have done anything anyways. Then they woke up at like 7:00 the next morning, fucking somehow, and proceeded to shower again, because I guess two and a half hours is a long time to go between cleaning. Same shit. It convinced me to just spend the money and get hotel rooms from that point on.
>>
>>1428402
The US isn't different at all. East coast and West coast are both shallow retards who only think of themselves. Midwest is boring. South is somewhat ok but so fucking fat. But all are basict the same. Yes they have different flavors of autism, such as someone from Colorado and someone from Iowa cannot relate, but other than that there's no difference in your cities, infrastructure, culture.
>>
>>1428491
But brah the pizza from Chicago is so much better and different than the pizza from Jew York!!! Lmao!!????!!!

It's so easy to spot an American tourist in Europe.
>>
>>1428320
>Sucked it up and just dealt with it.
See this is why you are a cuck. If someone is going to close the window like that they can fuck right off.
>>
>>1428487
haha who the fuck goes to Utrecht.

t.Dutchie
>>
>>1428479
Honestly I don't think he's even left his hometown, seems like a retarded /pol/ster
>>
>>1428476
>>1428479
I've been all over america including Alaska and Canada as well, it's all the same besides weather
>>
>>1428532
>Implying being from /pol/ is bad
Where the fuck are you from faggot?
>>
>>1428479
Oh God you're a to top it off you're a "grorious japan" weeb. I bet you're the same guy who gets in a frothy rage when someone implies people get laid during travels
>>
>>1428567
>share heavily slanted opinion
>several people disagree
>repeat it without offering anything additional, because the more you repeat an opinion the more right it is
Oh ok. No sense in arguing with you then. Your opinion is correct and factual, infact - you win. God bless you. You make us so proud, one day i will tell my kids about how i was once blessed with your wisdom. Whats your name? Id like to name them all after you as well, it would be an absolute honor to share your likliness.
>>
File: 1518388042906.gif (261 KB, 200x150)
261 KB
261 KB GIF
>>1427231
>>that cool backpacker who sits in the common room with his laptop shitposting on 4chan
champion right here
>>
>live in new mexico
>nobody gives a shit
>most abroad or in the southeast US think actual mexico
>only cultural reference is some shitty tv show about meth

I honestly just tell people I'm from NY and call it a day now.
>>
>>1428567
>sure
>>
We had one oldster (I'm in my 30s so it scares me I ain't too far off) 60s. He was staying in our room and we had this 18 year old chick.

When she left he said to me "an 18 year old, wow a real 18 year old." spent the rest of the week with slick backed hair trying his best with her. Tbh I was rooting for the guy.
>>
>>1428469
NYC is a global city. Honestly city that reminded me of it most is barca. International big headquarters city seem more or less alike.

US in general is a giant strip mall full of fat chicks
>>
>>1427636
>whole world knows everything about the USA
>everyone knows
>western civilization

Oh, it's just western part of the world !
hey anon, we started from there : >>1427582
>And what makes you think the third world person you are talking to knows that?

>"im from long island, new york
So, you explain to us, now, people assume you live in NYC in the long ilsland's borough witch is like Brooklyn or Bronx. OK.
Lawl
>>
>>1428598
Yes because that was totally said in the post, except it wasn't. It was a clear example of a common tourist route taken by people, I could have easily stated another popular one as someone going to london than paris and "wow saw so much of europe", but I figured another country would be easier to talk about.

Stop projecting and read what is actually being said.
>>
File: IMG_3720.gif (726 KB, 480x270)
726 KB
726 KB GIF
>>1428673
>So, you explain to us, now, people assume you live in NYC in the long ilsland's borough witch is like Brooklyn or Bronx.
>>
>>1428684
>Long Island
Sorry for the mistyping !

My point is people don't know about Long island City, just a few know NY is a state and fewer, it has a border with Canada !
So when anon said : i'm from long Island, NY !
What are people gonna understand ??
>>
>>1428345
Try saying to some one you’re from Adelaide.
That shit gets old pretty fucking fast.
>>
>>1428383
>It's also a good way to remain in a bubble

as opposed to... what? staying on your own in an airbnb? staying in a fucking hotel? It doesn't matter where you're staying. It's entirely possible to remain in a bubble where you don't get to meet cool people. Hostels just maximize your chance of meeting those cool people.
>>
Is it worth it staying in a private room in a hostel. I like the idea of the commons area to meet people, but I am paranoid about having my stuff stolen. Is the extra price worth it or should I just go to a cheap hotel instead?
>>
>>1428880
> but I am paranoid about having my stuff stolen

Unless you are retarded and leave shit like your passport, cards, cash, wallet, and electronics out on the bed for a long time and just go off somewhere no one will fuck with your shit if you are in most places. I usually just check my bag in behind the counter everytime I stay in a hostel, never have any issues.
>>
Former richfag here, now trying to budget travel due to change in life circumstances.

I have generally stayed in mid-to-high range hotels around the world, and have traveled a fair amount (~50 countries or so). But now I'm early 30s and trying to save money. Hostels seem like the smart move as a lot of travel is solo.

I appear relatively young (mid 20s) so I don't think it will be too weird..but are 30s travelers lumped into the same category as the 60s guys in OP?

Europe this month. Hostels booked in Paris, Toulouse, Barcelona, Lisbon.
>>
>>1428920
People don't care how old you are in a hostel just don't be fucking creepy thinking you are just hitting 20 and can hit on all the chicks who just hit legal age
>>
>>1428924
That's been in the back of my head too...I generally manage to hook-up with lots of chicks when traveling. But how do when staying in a dorm room? I feel like my having an Airbnb or a room at the Park Hyatt really did wonders for that.
>>
>>1428928
You can hook up with chicks no one gives a fuck, just don't see a girl who hit legal age status and go b lining it trying to talk to her and being a fucking creep. If you just chill in the lounge with others, see how shit goes, if it goes where it goes fine but don't be a thirsty nigga about it
>>
>>1428929
I meant more the logistics of fucking in a dorm. Is it just drunk sneaking to the showers and shit like that?
>>
>>1428933
Just fuck in a shower or the private bathroom, or go find a cheap ass love hotel/hotel to fuck. Don't do that shit in the bunks, everyone can hear you. It happens sometimes but not commonly
>>
>>1428710
Please show to Jim !! HA !! HA !!
>>
>>1428933
I've heard it happen in a dorm room once and some German dude in the room got really angry and made them leave. Bathrooms are your best bet. If the hostel has 24-hour reception and you've some money to spare, paying for an "upgrade" to a private room for the night also works. Private rooms are empty 80% of the time or more.
>>
>>1428920
30 year old boomers are that guy dude
>>
Where are you from
>I'm dutch
So german?
>No, Holland, the Netherlands
What?
>Amsterdam weed tulips red light district
>>
>>1427231
>>that cool backpacker who sits in the common room with his laptop shitposting on 4chan
that's me
>>
>>1427404
going there in 1 month, what did you do whilest there?
>>
>go to dinner with 2 Brits, 2 Israelis and a Chinese guy
>19 year old British girl starts asking the Israeli girls uncomfortable political questions
I just wanted to enjoy dinner
>>
>>1428710
When i told people i was from long island, new york - they understood it as me being from long island, new york. Literally what are you even talking about? I must have told people that dozens of times and it was never an issue.
>>
>>1428880
Hostels have lockers 9 times out of ten. If youre that paranoid bring a thin cable lock so you can tie down your bag to the bedframe in the extremly rare case theres no locker.
>>
>>1429044
>boomer
>30 years old
The fact that you say it seriously only highlights how retarded you are
>>
>>1427582
>And what makes you think the third world person you are talking to knows that?
I back packed across south america and stayed in hostels the entire time. Literally everyone I talked to knew where the state I'm from was. As long as you don't name some minor city or low population flyover state people usually know. Like it or not most of the world consumes media from the united states and have at least a basic knowledge of state names.
>>
>>1428375
>Fuck Israelis btw
Every Israeli I've met in a hostel acted like an American college student.
>>
>>1428778
I'm American and I know where adelaide is but for the life of me I don't know why
>>
>>1427962
Funny, I'm Canadian and I usually tell people I'm from the States when travelling just so they'll stop immediately assuming I'm some Torontofag who fellates Trudeau as much as they do.
>>
Hostel owner in San Jose CR told me jews are banned from half the hostels in the country because they're such pedantic, rude assholes
>>
>>1427244
>Go on trip
>Spend $1k's on hotels
>No money to do anything else

Enjoy paying for nothing but hotels
>>
Met some top lads in a Hostle in eastern Beirut
after a while i stopped using hostels though because of the usual shennanigans like
>middle of the night, piss drunk meatbag enters the dorm turn on lights, falls asleep on his plastic cover matress without sheets, keeps the light on

people who arrive/leave in the middle of the night are a plague
>>
Never done hostels before, why are Israelis universally regarded as cancer?
>>
>>1428383
>the British guy who likes LCD soundsystem a little too much
>All [their] Friends
I hope this was intended
>>
>>1429277
It's basically all stereotypes you ever heard about them (haggling for pennies with poor people etc) and a mixture of traveling straight after 3 years of military service. They completely trash hostels and even national parks: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2012/01/20121142251707312.html

In many hostels they are not welcomed and there are hostels that are basically for Israelis only. A few tour guides in Latin America have also told me that they look down on Native Americans (Indios).

Local attitudes might also be explained by the pink tide of politicians in South America that healthily bashed Israel for years (Argentina, Bolivia, Venezuela, Brazil) while alining themselves with Iran and Palestine.

There's also a old conspiracy theory that Jews wanted to create a state in Argentina/Chile in Patagonia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andinia_Plan

Single Israeli travelers are cool though usually and will try to get away from other Israelis. Traveled with a girl from Israel for a while and she hated the things associated to them.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/like-a-sore-thumb/topics/discrimination-of-israeli-tourists
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/americas-south-america/topics/why-are-israeli-travelers-getting-a-bad-rep-in-patagonia

The threads above are from 2004 and 2008 so it has been going on for a while. As with everything it's a mix of everything.
>>
>>1427978
>annoyed of being asked if he's a mormon
If this happens often to him, I think that maybe he misheard the question.
>>
>>1429231
I know that feel bro, Hamilton here
>>
>>1429131
Go see the Krakus Burial Mound, it's a cool little hike and it's free
>>
>mfw nobody mentions the drunk German fuckers that explosively shit all over the toilets.
>>
>Arabs
Need I say more?
>>
>>1429555
Spent 3 months dragging my dick through europe and i honestly dont think i met a single arab in any of the hostels ive stayed at, which is strange to think about considering how they are everywhere else. Chinese as well - they infest and ruin everything but are mysteriously absent from hostels. I met one chinese chick (who was actually from china and not just ethnically chinese) but she was coincidently not only studying in the US but also staying in my hometown. That was pretty mindblowing considering how small my town is.
>>
>>1429313
Bit cheeky to use Aljazeera as a source on this topic innit`?
>>
>>1429254
But my flight came in at 3am anon, sry. :'((
>>
>>1429555
Never met a single unpleasant Arab at hostels. They were usually very open minded, well-educated bros
>>
>That guy who brought a tranny pornstar escort back to the hostel while drunk thinking they coudln't tell she was a tranny

The fucking Brits and Aussies called me the Tranny Fucker from Texas for the rest of their stay.
>>
>>1429251
Lucas?
>>
>>1429565
You were being targeted by Chinese intelligence you dumb fuck.
>>
>>1427224
In Germany I shared a room with a girl and her grandfather, they were nice!
>>
>>1427285

many hostels have lockers that you can secure your shit in if you bring your own lock, I was super worried about getting robbed but then felt hella safe
>>
>>1429253
If youre not poor this isnt a problem
>>
File: 1530209532593[1].jpg (107 KB, 800x419)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>1429186
t. boomer born in 1988

feeling old yet gramps
>>
>>1429182
Tie to the ankle.
>>
>>1429545
>that german girl is is drunk and overly flirty with anything that moves
>those german dudes who break out loli doujins in the middle of the common room
>those germans who drink as in their timezone in to common room won't take no thanks as an answer and pass out half naked in the room
>those germans who want to hang out but ruin any chance you have with a local
>>
>>1427572
literally everyone on earth know what California is
>>
Wait, you can get private rooms in hostels? I'm going to Japan pretty soon and I just decided to avoid all hostels and guesthouses since the cheap hotels are usually $40-80 anyway, but are private rooms in hostels even cheaper?
>>
>>1430624
>but are private rooms in hostels even cheaper?
usually not, no.
>>
>>1430624
Most new hostels in Japan have private rooms of some kind, price depends on the size and they're usually intended for at least two people but you'll find them starting out usually within that range albeit on the higher end of it.
>>
>>1427572
It's okay if you're from a well-known state (California, Texas, Florida, New York, maybe Pennsylvania/Michigan/Ohio/Georgia) or from a well-known international city (not from those states previously listed, like Chicago, Boston, New Orleans, Las Vegas and Seattle).

I really draw the line at big but not super-well known states and cities. Places like Minnesota (Minneapolis), Arizona (Phoenix), Colorado (Denver), North Carolina (Charlotte), Oregon (Portland), Tennessee (Nashville) and Missouri (St. Louis, Kansas City). If you're living in one of those states but not one of those cities there's VERY little chance anyone knows where you're from, so USA is probably a more respectful way to introduce yourself.
>>
>>1429199
This. The important states are equivalent in size and GDP to a lot of European countries, it makes sense that people would know the names of at least a few.
>>
>>1427990
The only states like that are the giant ones out west. They're all pretty similar in terms of culture, yeah. But the states on the East Coast couldn't be more different from each other. Its insulting to imply states like Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia are all similar just because they are part of the South and are right beside each other.
>>
>>1429199
oh so you are from
>califronia
>texas
>NY
>washington
>florida
>>
>>1431050
There's a difference between North and South Carolina? For 99% of tourists both have pretty much nothing of interest and are in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>1429606
so you didn't meet any arabs at all?
>>
>>1428393
is this haiku?
>>
>>1431110
The east coast isn't the middle of nowhere though?
>>
>>1431175
The nearest tourist destinations are like 1000 km away from Carolinas (Washington DC to the North and Miami/Orlando to the south)
>>
>>1431189
I suppose by "tourist destination" you mean city with a lot of different things to do. The outer banks of North Carolina do attract tourists. Mostly for the beaches, but Kitty Hawk is a major site in aviation history.
>>
>>1431251
The beaches attract people who live within a few hours dirve from there, nobody would fly from Europe for the beaches.
>>
>>1431253
Fair enough. If you aren't from eastern North America, you wouldn't go to the Outer Banks unless you were already passing by. And Europeans probably believe somebody else invented the airplane.

(The airplane isn't a single invention, but as a loyal American it is my duty to believe that the Wright brothers's innovation in control structures is most important.)
>>
>>1428602

Honestly shitposting while in another country is one of the greatest feelings in the world
>>
>>1431110
Yeah culturally they're really different actually. Local cuisine, accents, economy, etc are all distinctly different. I suppose it's harder to understand if you havent lived there. I think those differences are downplayed on the international level.
>>
>>1429251
Sounds about right
>>
File: okay_wtf_reaction.gif (1.76 MB, 412x229)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB GIF
>>1431259
>And Europeans probably believe somebody else invented the airplane

Wut ?
You're confusing with cinematographic camera maybe ?
>>
>>1427266
>those american college kids who say "OMG Im having wine in Italy!! This spaghetti and meatballs are soooo much better than in Kansas! Who would have known!"
>>
File: 705676.png (214 KB, 472x357)
214 KB
214 KB PNG
>that one guy who just sits in the corner and plays C&C with his gaming-laptop
>>
>>1427285
extremely rare in europe and the US where I've been. My russian friend told me people in her hostel do steal everything.
>>
File: Confederate-Flag.jpg (31 KB, 600x400)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>summer of 2014
>mom says we are going on vacation to meet up with family
>woo.jpg
>we go to the airport 2 days later
>wait a few hours
>board our flight
>takes around 3 hours to get there
>sleeping.jpg
>I wake up and we have landed
>our family picks us up
>we go to their house
>when we get there, they strip me
>confusedasfuck.jpg
>they start raping me
>thats when i relize we are in brigham alabama
>best vacation ever
>>
>>1431251
>he thinks the monument is in Kitty Hawk. Fucking idiot, Its in Kill Devil Hills.
>>
>>1429752
probably this desu
>>
>>1428358
I'm actually from Amsterdam and I just tell them I'm from Belgium by now. The amount of times people offer me weed to "compare it" or ask me for drug/prostitution tips is insane.

People don't realize that weed isn't cool in amsterdam because it's just tourist trash and just as weird as having a culture around sigarettes or something. The only reason weed culture is a thing in the US is because of the taboo around it.
>>
>>1429752
Chinese girls are just easy. Not all of them are agents.
>>
>>1431808
The dunes there are fucking unreal. Most of the North Carolina coastline has pretty small sand dunes, especially when compared to the ones on, say, Long Island. But Kill Devil Hills, dear God.
>>
>>1432948
This tbqh. It'd just be another thing like beer: nearly 100% corporate and considered normal. Nobody would worship it the way people do right now.
>>
>>1427899
>and that's an easy way to meet cool people and make friends

It's very hit and miss in hostels though with the VAST majority of those who stay in them poorfag millenials who want to 'see the world'. I'd say you get less than one cool person for every hundred or so others in hostels.
>>
>>1427231
>>those australians who do nothing but drink alcohol and have only a passing interest in the country's destinations, history and culture
These guys are based. Do your shit during the day and meet up with them at night to get shitfaced.
>>
I think I've decided it's not worth the money saved (for short <week trips) to stay in a hostel.

Maybe the first night upon arrival but then booking into a hotel after.

All the annoyances that being in a hostel expects is just too much when all I want is peace of mind with respect to my belongings, a good nights sleep without snorers or late night entrants, and space away from other people.
>>
>>1427978
Personally I make it a point to ask every american if they are a mormon regardless of where they are from
>>
>>1433126
Personally I make it a point to ask every European if they are a Muslim regardless of where they are from
>>
>>1433116
Hostels are fine, while most of these are true. They are really only true for european countries.
>>
>>1433126
>>1433148
ripper bantz, I'll be sure to use these next time I meet some humourless cunts. cheers!
>>
>>1427978
Isn't Utah mormon as well? Or was it Arizona, I can't remember
>>
>>1428231
What the fuck for?
>>
>>1427978
I'm from Ohio. We have cool outdoor stuff?
I always kind of thought we were mostly indistinguishable from our neighbor states in that.
>>1433290
Can verify that Utah is full of Mormons.
>>
>>1433291
reno 911
>>
>>1428383
>all their friends
nice
>>
>>1427231
>those europeans who talk nothing but trump
Goddamn yes, I travel to get away from that shit. I'd probably even agree with them if they weren't always so uniniformed about it
>>
>>1432948
any tips on drugs and prostitution?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.