[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 45 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: mand.png (120 KB, 500x545)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
Its not the 1980s anon. you just look like a weeb to most people including normies, and like a yellow fever neet.
>>
File: 1519842881742.png (946 KB, 1400x5552)
946 KB
946 KB PNG
WHy indeed?
>>
>>1430266
Holy shit. I got a duplicate file error when replying to this thread. Then I saw you had uploaded that same image literally seconds before.
>>
>>1430264
>you just look like a weeb to most people including normies

You care what people think? Beta as fuck desu.
>>
>>1430269

>what is social EQ
>>
Except I chose Mandarin. I can read some Kanji with Chinese anyway.
>>
>>1430281

Yep. I've been able to navigate Japan just from the Chinese i know. i learned traditional with Taiwanese material so its even easier for me.

normies are more impressed with Mandarin than Japanese from what i can tell too. but i wil ladmit, Japanese sounds so much nicer to hear. Chinese, particularly northern dialects or even standard putonghua sounds really harsh even to me when im familair to the language.

southern accent or taiwanese sounds a lot more smoother and relaxing to foreign ears.
>>
The future is Chinese. I've been studying Chinese for the past three years and I don't regret it at all. Ignore the bitter shills who hate themselves.
>>
>>1430284
>Yep. I've been able to navigate Japan just from the Chinese i know.
Same here. I actually tried to make a point of not actually speaking a word of Chinese in Japan at all, but then I was confronted with Japan in real life, and it turned out that there are Chinese workers who barely speak Japanese anyway.

Matter of taste... I guess you're more used to the Taiwanese pronunciation. I'm more used to Beijing people, so I like that one much better.
>>
For the purposes of traveling, I've never needed any language other than English.

I'm currently learning Russian because I hear eastern Europe is far less forgiving with language barriers.

So, poo on you, OP.
>>
>>1430264
Both are waste of time unless you are already skilled professional who plans living in one o the countries or doing business with them.
>>
>>1430264
anyone who does anything but english for work in SEA is just fucking up
>>
>live in china
>learn chinese
not worth it.

korea jap had a huge social reward and just by showing interest, people would approach me to teach and help. it's not the same here.
>>
>>1430264
Because I don't want to speak ugly Chink language and be their cuck. Have some dignity, cuck
>>
>>1430617
>Japan
>China
>SEA
Learn proper geographical terms.
>>
>>1430264
There a billion Chinese and they will work for 5usd per hour.
>>
I'm ethnically Japanese and wanted to learn more about the language/culture of my ancestors.

Though I can understand the practical advantage of learning Mandarin in this day and age
>>
>>1431086
And China also has the most millionaires and billionaires. What's your point?
>>
>>1430264
It's almost as if you wanted someone to upload dontlearnmandarin.png
>>
The learning Mandarin the-future-is-Chinese meme is pretty laughably overblown.

There will always be Chinese who speak English a lot better than you fumble through your heavily accented tone deaf Mandarin. Do you people actually think Mandarin is going to become useful and shit. Hold my beer while I fucking laugh.

More useful than Japanese but Jesus you people are delusional.

>Everyone shits on ESL on /trv/
>lel learn Mandarin super useful :3

Fucking go home Chinese agents you're drunk.
>>
>>1432845
What does that make you then? An American agent a British one or what?
English wasn't always as popular as it is now, prepare to become irrelevant.
>>
Basically >>1430266

China is a shithole
>>
File: 1523859495092.jpg (1.34 MB, 1080x1350)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>1430264
>>1430264
>Learning Mandarin or Japanese and not actively trying to work in Japan or China

holy shit I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
>>
>>1432887
>Hurrr don't learn things

Fuck off you absolute brainlet.
>>
>>1432873
Holy shit. Chinese agent confirmed. English is relevant since 1.5 billion people speak all over the world. Chinese is good to learn if you're going to live in China. That's all. Even people who make the most in China don't speak Chinese.
>>
>>1432882
Ok m8, Whatever. I had a great time and I don't feel sorry for those who didn't. Not your cup of tea?, go somewhere else.
>>1432887
>>1432903
What great advice for lazy people, let me guess, Native English speakers unable to learn a word of a 2nd language?. In short you 2 are retarded.

I did HSK5 in less than 1.5 years. And N3 too. It took a while to warm up and get started, but after that I learned very quickly. To master it up will require a longer and sustained effort.

Not everybody speaks English, and anyone serious about staying longtime in either China or Japan should learn the local language.
>>
>>1432903
He's been wreaking havoc in the TEFL thread too. Tirelessly.

I think it's the same faggot who said something like "they shouldn't even teach English in Korea because most Koreans will never really use it." which is literally like saying "don't teach math because most students will never never need the quadratic formula in their lives"

He's a massive cuck anyway because he's using English on this board. Truly a sick, sad individual.
>>
>>1432927
>China is good to learn if you're in China.
Is exactly what I said. Can you even read English?
>>1432942
It's starting to make more and more sense. I remember reading that exchange. That guy shilling against English is an idiot. I've literally been all over the world, even random non-native English speakers speak English to each other.
>>
>>1432927
Honestly it’s a waste. Unless you’re a esl fag or a student with lots of spare time I would never recommend anyone to learn the language. There just isn’t any rewards from it.
>>
>>1433029
It's a waste based on what?. Time?. I base my opinion based on living in the country for the medium or long term. Not only a waste, but a must-do thing.

I once met an ESL north-american teacher who could not speak a lick on Chinese after being 7 years on the country. He got a phone call in Chinese while I was speaking with him and replied on the phone "Sorry, Laowai", and he hang up immediately. You really don't want to be that dude.

The rewards are very evident when you can order lunch, give directions to taxi drivers, shopping, speak to coworkers in Chinese, understand what anyone says when talking to you, and dating. Or in short, doing with ease all daily things that a non-autistic person normally do.

And there are more jobs that foreigners do in China besides ESL, let that sink in.
>>
>>1430264
At least as far as business goes, the impetus is on them to learn English, not on me to lean Chinese or Japanese.

As far as learning a language for fun, either would be far down my list.
>>
>>1432927
Are you retarded?

>Anyone serious should learn the local language

is pretty much the exact same thing I said. Please learn to read before you try to shit on other's people posts k thx.

>>1432898
I never said or implied you shouldn't learn new things, you should learn USEFUL things.
>>
>>1432873
Between the internet, mass media and tourism English has probably reached the point where it will never be supplanted as the lingua franca.
>>
>>1432927
>Not everybody speaks English, and anyone serious about staying longtime in either China or Japan should learn the local language.

Have some self respect. The Royal Navy killed thousand of Chinese (and a fair few Japanese) precisely so Europeans wouldn't have to integrate whatsoever in East Asia.
>>
>>1433304
>muh USEFUL durr derp

Does interest or fancy mean anything to you? Situation? What if you met someone special who spoke one of those languages and you wanted to share it with them.

"Do things in life just based on utility amd need"

God what a terribly uninteresting, uninspiring twat you must be.
>>
>>1432873
>English is more popular than ever
>therefore it will become irrelevant
you were probably trying to imply that the number of language users can fluctuate, however you are brain-dead
>>
>>1431131
Do Koreans annoy you about shit that happened in the past that you had no involvement in?
>>
>>1430264
Choosing a language to learn because you think it will be useful in the future instead of choosing the language of a culture that interest you is setting yourself up for failure if you ever want to do anything past being able to ask where the toilet is.
>>
>>1433368
>Le epic "follow your passion" post
STFU boomer. Plan for the future not for some weeb anime fantasy. China is the future when it comes to learning Chinese or Japanese.
>>
>>1433376
He's not totally wrong.

It actually is easier to learn a language you're interested in than a language that you have no real passion for.
>>
To be honest, I would much rather learn Cantonese than Mandarin.
>>
>>1433376
t. Li-Peng
>>
>>1433368
>This is what 18 year olds actually believe
>>
>>1433376
>t. Xiao Wei Mao Dong
>>
>>1433376
t. Mao Xing Yu
>>
>>1433472
He is right. Leaders, innovators and trend setters do their own thing.
>>
>>1433386
This. I've made the same amount of progress in about 6 months of Mandarin as I did 12 years of French in Canuckistan, and in all my classes there were people way worse than me at it. The interest in the language will allow you to study way more and remember things way easier. If you're trying to force yourself to do it then you'll never have the same recall ability.
>>
File: tokyo.png (543 KB, 646x629)
543 KB
543 KB PNG
>>1430264
>>
>>1433555
What a coincidence, I'm Canadian, too.

I've been passively learning Japanese for a few years, and I already speak it better than 12 years of public school French. I've even tried Russian for a few months and it's still better than my French.
>>
>>1433534
So do dropouts and deadbeats.
>>
Because China in it's current iteration is a fad. Japan has staying power.
>>
>>1433713
Dropouts & deadbeats have no interest in learning other languages. Hell, they usually have a poor grasp of their native language.
>>
>>1433713
Kek that's like saying practing painting is not worth it because Hitler did it too.
>>
I can answer this.

After learning some French for a trip to Quebec and fooling a few locals for a few sentences, I decided I wanted to learn a language. I think linguistics is interesting and would love to be able to have a more unique experience of a country by understanding it's language. I considered French, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese. I picked Japanese because I knew it would give me the most opportunities for practice. Although I wasn't an Anime fan, I knew that I'd rather watch hundreds of hours of Anime than Chinese movies, French films, or Spanish Television. Also, Japanese language is frequently in western media. Finally, Japan is one of the countries I've been most excited to travel to, which was probably the largest part of my decision. It's awesome how frequently I encounter Japanese in my daily life and can't wait to use it in Japan.

So suck my balls OP
>>
>>1434060

>learning Japanese just to watch trashy programs

Holy shit. You're the worst type of person.
>>
>>1433363

Nope, nothing like that ever happened to me.

The only thing I ever saw even remotely related to that was my cousins Korean mother in law violently reject her "23andme" telling her she had Japanese ancestry.

Older Koreans are both fucked in the head and outstanding drinkers.
>>
I need to learn it because of my second uni graduate degree I am getting in Tokyo. Btw most western white Chinese learners I have met are even more autistic and cunty than the neckbeards I meet down here. And they sure do not give a fuck about Chinese culture.

>Understanding economic trend
>Putting your luck on a communist protectionist country with a major housing bubble and a poorly developed internal market

Sure mate, when will you finish your meme degree?
>>
>>1434179
I’m White western in china. What the fuck is Chinese culture do you think ?
>>
>>1434179
>they sure do not give a fuck about Chinese culture
>>1434249
>What the fuck is Chinese culture
There is no Chinese culture because Mao destroyed it all.
>>
>>1430284
Chinese should do away with tones. It sounds so fucking bad.
>>
>>1434266
Well there are some remnants in Taiwan and HK.
>>
>>1430284
To me, Taiwanese accents just sound like white people trying to speak Mandarin.
>>
>>1430264
In Tokyo now, does China have the same commitment to quality and service as Japan does? I've never heard that, and so far have mostly seen Chinese here being obnoxious tourists.
>>
>>1430264
because the Chinese are dog-eating savages. They couldn't give a fuck about cleanliness, health, the planet, other people, themselves. They have no soul.

While the Japanese are flawed and frustrating in ways, i'd studying a declining japanese culture over a Chinkland rising like the Phoenix, any day of the week.
>>
>>1434344
absolutely not. Chinks are fucking animals
>>
>dozens of world class tourists spots, landscapes and vibrant cities with the best cuisine in the planet
>spoken in almost all continents from North American, South American and the Caribbean, North and Sub-Sahara Africa and Oceania
>official language +30 countries and territories, and numerous organizations
>pretty girls
>rich literary tradition
>considered to be among the easiest foreign languages for native English speakers
>expected to surpass 800 million to 1 billion speakers by 2050

Why aren't you studying French, /trv/?
>>
>>1430660
>>1434353
>>1434354
Hi there, I couldn't help but notice that you seem to be lost.
>>>/pol/
I hope that helps!
>>
>places to go in china that I need to know something besides english and also safe to drink the water/eat the food
>

>places to go in Japan that I need to know something besides english and also safe to drink the water/eat the food

Most places north of the Niigata prefecture
>>
If I were to go to China, it would probably be somewhere in the west, where they speak some obscure language and is relatively inaccessible to tourists unless they have a guide.
>>
>learning japanese, can read manga with use of a dictionary for less than 10% of words
>watch a few eps of a chinese anime
>actually think it sounds nice
>however, I'm essentially tone deaf
Is there hope? I'm really bad at pronunciations, I'm only good at reading and writing. Even in my native tongue I have a hard time listening to speech and understanding it. I also hate chinese people.
It just doesn't seem destined.
>>1433376
Honestly I think china will collapse economically. Their shit is worse than the subprime mortgage crisis pre-2008. If you knew economics you might understand that.
>>1434383
I can't pronounce that shit. I picked nip because (among other reasons) the pronunciation is piss easy.
>>
>>1434383
>being this fucking delusional

I know french are stuck up assholes but fucking shit this post is another level
>>
>>1434383
I lived in Paris for a year when I was younger (for my father's job, not that I wanted to live there) and spoke less French than I had to when I was in England with 4 periods of French a week in school
>>
>>1434452
>(among other reasons) the pronunciation is piss easy.

Your Japanese pronunciation almost certainly sounds less good than you think, but yes, compared to Korean and Chinese you can generally be understood most of the time.

>I picked nip

Come on bro, have some respect.

>>1434452
>Honestly I think china will collapse economically

Collapse is going too far but they are not as invincible and "the future" as Chinaboos like to think. China has an absolutely appalling lending crisis. The number of non-performing loans in that country is staggering, not helped by CPC cronyism. China also has a very fractured society cut between its developing east coast and its impoverished interior. There more people living in African tier poverty in China than live in Japan and South Korea put together. Geopolitically speaking, China is not in an idea position its geological location and weak Navy pretty much mean it will always be second fiddle to the United States.
>>
>>1430264
Japanese sounds better when spoken. I don't enjoy mandarin, so learning it would be more difficult.
>>1434400
Don't ever link to my home board every again.
>>
>>1434400
>Le epic /pol/ boogeyman maymay

In all seriousness, mainland chinks are fucking unironic savages. They are not committed to quality and no I am not a weeb or Japan lover at all, just an experienced traveler who has lived in both country in multiple places.
>>
I mean, if you're doing it to make yourself more marketable I wouldn't pick either of them. I double majored in religious studies (lol) and Urdu and got a job right out of college working for the government. Mandarin might be good if you're going into business, but all five million business students are thinking pretty much the same thing, so it's not going to set you apart. Might have better luck focusing on developing economies like South Asia, SEA, Brasil etc... or important geopolitical regions like the Middle East, Central Asia and North Africa.

Pretty much impossible to study Japanese without having the stigma of being a weeb. Unless you routinely liaison with a major Japanese company or something
>>
>>1434296
你有膽再說一次看看!
>>
>>1435103
>the stigma of being a weeb

>The internet losers think I'm a dork, damn.
>>
I'm working in Japan at the moment but I am inclined to agree. They just can't do defy the demographics of shrinking tax revenues and expanding pensions and healthcare.

What China has done, grow at 8% for 30 years or so will never be repeated.

No country will ever lift 1 billion people out of poverty again in the history of the world. Their economy will be 3 times as large as America's in 2050. They will dominate.

I am currently in ALT in Japan and thinking about heading to China for better wages and a different side of life.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.