[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Considering a Peru trip (with wife) in November. Cusco-Machu Picchu obviously, but thinking of driving to Juliaca for a few days too, or maybe somewhere else? I like driving and nice landscapes (/p/fag). Where can I get spectacular views?
>>
do ayahuasca in iquitos and see the cosmos
>>
Juliaca is the ugliest city in Peru. Consider Arequipa instead.
>>
How safe/easy to get around is Peru for a single tall white guy who can't speak Spanish really and has travelled to SE Asia solo? Thinking about going back to SE Asia, but I'm interested in Latin America.
>>
Is the train ride from Cusco to Arequipa worth the money? Or is it more of a tourist trap?
>>
>>1432800
Yeah better go back to SE Asia to your 18 yo drunk Australians you'll fit in there better
>>
Me and some friends have got a little more than 2 weeks in early June, we're thinking of doing the Gringo Trail. Has anyone here done it? How busy is it in the winter?
>>
File: P3270341.jpg (4.76 MB, 3968x2648)
4.76 MB
4.76 MB JPG
>>1432800
im a white 23 year old who knows barely any spanish and zero portugese. I'm doing a solo trip to Colombia, Peru and Brazil. Im pretty sure you'll be fine. im going to be starting my trip soon so ill keep updates somewhere on /trv/
>>
>>1432795
100%. it's a true shithole and sketchy as fuck. Puno isn't much better but the islas on the lakes are pretty cool.
>>
>>1432800
I spent 6 weeks in Peru and felt incredibly safe. as long as you're not in sketchy areas alone at night you will be fine.
>>
>>1433217
Did it a few weeks ago in June. It's definitely pretty busy, hostels were mostly packed and lots of tourists travelling.
>>
>>1432763
>Peru trip (with wife)
>he doesn't know

Kek
>>
>>1432763
check out this guy, his latest videos are from Peru
https://www.youtube.com/user/istarusIG/videos
>>
>>1432763

I thought Lake Titicaca was pretty disappointing compared to other places in Peru. Good views for sure but more of a tourist trap if you head out on the water.

I think the best scenery is around Huaraz but Arequipa and the Colca Canyon will have beautiful views as others have said.

I haven't been around the north that much but from what i understand the drives around Gocta, Chachapoyas, etc are fantastic.
>>
>>1434413
Were there any sites ruined by the tourists? Anything you think would have been cool but there was too many people around?
>>
>>1432763
i'm in Cusco rn, this entire city is a tourist trap. DO NOT book a bus tour to sightsee around the city or see the ruins near Cusco. GUARANTEED your tour guide will stop the bus and drag you to every gift shop on the way. all the tours in cusco are run by the same few companies and they all do this to make a % off the sales of the gift shops.
There is a 1 sol ($0.30) local bus that will take you to all the closeby ruins near Cusco, just buy your pass to all the sites(its a single ticket for all of them) before you go.
If you want to visit the ruins further away then ask a taxi driver how much he will charge for all day service. Often it will be similar to a tour price and you wont waste 4 hours at gift shops.
>>
If you go then please set every internet cafe you come across on fire.
>>
>>1432763
if you do any hiking, watch out for leg injuries
>>
>>1436218
such beautiful sceneries
there are many beautiful places in Peru but, as usual, most go to the same tourist traps
>>
>>1436756
In a bar in Aguas Calientes right now after visiting Machu Picchu, I was one of the first people in this morning and it was great to see it not too busy. By the time I was leaving though the place was flooded with luminous ponchos which ruined the views (luminous clothes should be banned). So aim to arrive for the opening time which is 6 AM. Every other place I have been has been fine for the number of tourists though they are noticeable in cities like Arequipa and Cusco. Lima seemed pretty tourist free and was also my favorite part of the country due to the food, 12 of the best ranked Latin American restaurants are there.

>>1432800
Have been in peru with just my gf for almost three weeks with no Spanish, have never felt unsafe and you can get by even though their English here is pretty bad.
>>
>>1437156
hey what do you think about doing LSD in Auguas Calientes? Or at Machu Pichu? How much is the entrance fee to machu pichu?
>>
>>1437172
I am not into drugs that much so wouldn’t be an expert but Aguas Calientes seems full of the types that do this sort of thing. The town is quiet, beautiful and safe due to high number of tourists. I have been offered ayahuasca but refused, however there are trendy hippy bars and the surroundings would make this a great spot to do it. I left getting my Machu Picchu ticket too late because I’m an idiot and had to go with a tour, travel from Cusco/a private tour guide/ entrance set me back about 250 euro but it could be done cheaper. Entrance by itself if you plan ahead is close to 50 euro I think.
>>
>>1437183
Having been to Aguas Calientes recently I do not agree with that assessment at all. Yes, the surrounding scenery is absolutely beautiful but the town itself, being the gateway to Machu Picchu, was built to cater to tourists and that's exactly the impression I got.
>>
>>1437187
By beautiful I was just referring to the surroundings, the town itself is just hostels and tourist restaurants but it’s relatively quiet to the other Peruvian towns I have visited and feels completely safe. To me that seems like the place to do psychs, beautiful scenery with safety and relative isolation if you walk a little bit.
>>
>>1434559
know what?
>>
>>1437211
you gonna get cucked kek
>>
>>1437259
elaborate, please
I'm not OP, btw
>>
>>1437183
>>1437187
Sweet, thanks for the input guys. That really helps. Also, damn I didn't even think of buying an entrance ticket ahead of time. I'll look into that right now.

>>1437446
Some guy got cucked in Peru like a year or two ago and there was a thread where everyone mocked him. I'm actually really suprised that /trv/ still remembers this. Same thing with the french guy motorcycling through Africa, it seems like nobody here will ever forget him.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.