[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 88 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest - Submit Designs Here

File: reindeer swimming.jpg (136 KB, 960x720)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
Would there still be much difference living in the EU compared to North America these days? With migration and globalization it seems at least from my perspective that it's not that much different.

Note that I'm not saying here is any better but, rather that everywhere seems to have similar levels of issues. What does /trv/ think? For people who have lived in both areas, and particularly in Europe recently, how do they compare? Especially outside the major cities like Paris/London, how much does day to day living change on either side of the pond?

I am in the process of getting a European passport, I'm just wondering now if I'll use it beyond travel now.
>>
>>1441444
USA is like the most alien country on Earth. For me as a European even China and India seem more familiar and easy to accustom to.
>>
>>1441446
Really? Interesting, can you explain why?
>>
File: stadt-dresden2[1].jpg (146 KB, 800x500)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1441444
>European passport

wow, never heard about that, can you tell us more which authority gives you a "European passport"? I will give you an African passport if you send me 50 dollars. Good deal, I promise.

My picture related is where you can pretty much live as a EU citizen. I think that in the US this is not common at all.

>similar issues
well everywhere you have to deal with everyday shit like going to work, getting some money, buying groceries, seeing doctors from time to time etc.
>>
There's a bit of this in (Western) Europe or Australia/NZ, too, but not nearly as much: For me the biggest difference is that being 'not happy' is seen normal in the rest of the world, while Americans always try to ~fix~ you if you're not visibly happy.
>>
>>1441444
I've lived in Amsterdam my entire life and moved to the US (Boston to be particular) for 2 years to study at a university.

USA is EXTREMELY different from the EU.

Things standing out about the US:
>Almost no personal space
People just suddenly talk to you while you are in public. I personally think this is really nice but this would creep the average euro out. First time it happened I was shocked. In the EU the public space is treated like a public space that you use privately within your own bubble and other people shouldn't interact with you.
>fake niceties
This one I don't really like. What an american says and what an american thinks are separate concepts. Here in the EU people tend to just speak the truth even if the answer might be negative. Not doing so is considered rude and fake. I feel like americans focus on making other people feel good instead of actually telling it like it is and I disliked this.
>Weird corporate culture
Maybe this is not the right word for it but it's significantly different from the EU. People in the US that are working look like actors. They have an entire setup of trying to interact with clients enthusiastically on a level I've never seen here in the EU. Things like restaurant waiters are almost like slaves. Again this feels very disingenuous and fake to the average european. I wish American workers would just chill a bit more and regard work more mechanically instead of trying to make people "feel good" (this was a general trend I noticed throughout all US society).
>Tipping
Yeah this one is a cliche but I will give 1 personal experience I had. I went to New York City for a week and went to a bar. I kept ordering drinks and after a while the bartender got mad and threw me out. Apparently it's customary to give a tip after every single drink. I knew I would have to tip but I thought it was at the end of your stay. How naive I was.

(1/2)
>>
>>1441467
cont.

The tipping wasn't really a problem if Americans made it more clear what is expected of people. Do they seriously expect people to magically know these arbitrary rules?
>Clubbing
Yeah this one is really weird as well. In the US dudes can just come up in cargo shorts and a t-shirt and be allowed in clubs. While women need to wear excessively slutty dresses or be extraordinarily beautiful to be allowed inside.

This is the complete opposite of how it works in the EU. Here women are allowed inside at all times. While men need to be with a woman when they come or be extremely dressed up and good looking.

I kinda disliked it since I personally am more attracted to THICC bigger women which weren't allowed in these clubs. But that is a personal thing.
>poverty
This one was really striking to me. The sheer poverty I saw in the US was striking and made me rethink my entire stance on how good we have it in the EU. There are actual homeless people on the streets living in tents. Entire streets were dedicated to homeless people living in rows of tents. Where I am from every homeless person gets a house and income provided by the state. As a result I had never seen a homeless person in my life. I think I've seen hundreds of homeless people in REAL poverty in the US with just the 2 years I stayed there. What the fuck America? You know we have the ability to give everyone a good life nowadays right? Why do you need to have people suffering on the streets?

(2/3) Fuck why are these textlimits so fucking low 4chan?
>>
>>1441467
>fake niceties

to be fair, the Dutch are known to be pretty blunt and straightforward even within Europe
>>
>>1441470
Sorry to interact your story but the part of the EU where I come from the homeless are visible as well. Not in hundreds but they are there, you might see them ocassionally sleeping in parks, under bridges and so on. During the day they are bumming around train stations, littering and begging for money and shouting all sorts of rude things when they drink their brains off.
I would like to say they have the opportunity to start a new life, but...well...not really. Getting a job as a homeless is almost impossible, the really basic jobs like cleaning the streets and stuff will give you such shit money, they you would hardly get a rent somewhere and again, noone will rent an apartment to former homeless. You can wither be really lucky and get a municipal flat, but those are very ocasional and usually for young families and such, not for single homeless people, or you can go to some poor people hostel where you share a shitty room with some other shitty person that will probably murder you at night.
>>
>>1441470
>Weed culture
Yeah this one is really weird and probably more noticeable for me because I'm from Amsterdam. Whenever I told someone I'm from Amsterdam they immediately bring up Weed and the entire US based culture around weed "Dude weed lmao". What Americans don't realize is that here in Amsterdam there is no weed culture at all. Because weed is completely legalized and normal for more than half a century now people just treat it like any other consumer good. It's really weird to see a culture based around weed just like it would be weird to see an entire culture with movies merchandise etc being made about eating bread or chewing gum.

People were almost personally offended when I said I didn't smoke weed and don't think it's a significant plant at all and had no interest into discussing its legalization. Seriously Americans are absolutely obsessed with weed and you guys will all cringe at yourself in a couple of decades when it's been legalized and you realize that a significant portion of your culture was about consuming some random consumer good.
>politics
Here politics usually resolve around genuine problems and trying to run the nation as efficiently as possible independent of political parties. In the US it's almost the opposite, it's mostly about "teams" as if it was a sports game or something and the "problems" are just seen as part of the sport to make your "team" win the match. It's truly insane and I quickly learned to just shut up about politics in general as people will just look at your opinion to quickly put you into "my team/their team" places despite me not identifying with any US political group.
>Languages
This one is just funny for Europeans. Americans usually praised me for speaking English so fluently. Despite the Netherlands having a higher English speaking rate than Canada. When I spoke spanish to some Mexicans. Americans genuinely came up to me confused saying. "How do you speak Spanish I thought you said you were Dutch"

(3/4)
>>
>>1441473
So true lol, I met two girls from Amsterdam, one of the first things she told me was smiling directly to my face and something like "You are a fucking loser do you know that?" LOL, I fell in love a little with her back then
>>
>>1441477
Sheer ignorance like that. And not knowing basic facts about the rest of the world is kinda frustrating especially from supposedly educated people on a high ranking US university.

>Women
Now this is where the US starts to shine. Women are actually open and nice in the US. They don't assume you are just a player trying to get into their panties and they seem to be optimistic and enjoyers of life.

All-in-all I genuinely enjoyed my time in the US. But it's a really big cultural divide between the EU and the US. People tend to think this is not the case but it really REALLY is.

>>1441473
Kinda but British, French and German people are all exponentially more blunt than Americans. It's almost like Americans were impossible of saying something that could offend me in any way shape or form which kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

"Lack of banter" as well.

>>1441476
I should have specified western EU. And even then the poverty in the US is really pronounced You see families that actually have a job and are still struggling to get their shit together which is an insane concept to me.

For example I'm from a very poor family living off of wellfare (for dutch standards). And I still had a normal functional life because society actually gave a shit. There is almost no difference in a dutch person living on welfare or a rich Dutch person. Both people can live in the same neighborhoods and their kids going to the same school. In the US people were segregated based on income and it was like people judged each other not on their person but on "what they are" (career wise). This is completely opposite of what I see here where you are a person first and what you do for a job is just a side-note.
>>
>>1441479
Interesting. What made her say that?
>>
>>1441488
>Lack of banter
That would piss me off. Banter is a common part of European culture, from UK to Russia....well, maybe except Scandinavia, but I do not have any experience with them.

> You see families that actually have a job and are still struggling to get their shit together
Normal over here as well.
I mean, not the second part about schools and judging by careers. That is true that if you are poor or rich, your kids can meet at the same school and more likely the rich kid is about to experience some bad times for being a jerk than the poor kid.
But the families struggling even though they have jobs. If you have like 2 kids and your wife is home taking care of the baby and the father does some basic paid job...You will be glad for paying a rent and basic food.
The worst thing is the class of the poor people over here, they don't know any better than taking a loan. And I mean, imagine a situation when you need to buy something more expensive to your home like a fridge or a washing machine because the previous broke and you have to spend your monthly food costs for some machine. They take a loan and that is the worst scenario ever in here, because if you can't pay your loan, then comes the money collector and those people have by our shitty law almost all the pover over your and your families money and property. And even more bizzare is, these money collectors (we call them executors, lol) have no limit what they can CHARGE for their services. So imagine you take a loan 300 Euro to buy a washing machine, you have to give back like 500 Euro because you cant take a loan at normal bank for normal money because you are a poor jerk and no normal bank will give you that. You fail to pay next two months, then the loan is given to this "executor", he immediately charges another 300 Euro for his services and each month it grows like 100 Euro (just an example), in 4 months since you took the loan you have to return 1000 Euro instead of 300. ...
>>
I can also add

- Weird incomprehensible measurement systems
- Random taxes are added to prices, you never know how much
- Stigma on public transport. Literally if you admit you once took a Greyhound bus in the U.S. it's like saying you are gay in Russia, nobody ever will shake your hand after that and will give you creepy looks.
- City planning is different from all other countries. Even in Asia and South America cities are European-like in structure: they have a historic center, residential areas, lots of shops and other businesses everywhere. In the US There's hardly one shop per square mile and almost none in the city centers, getting simple groceries is always a huge headache especially if you're a tourist.
- People are paranoid, they could call the police on you if you're doing anything not like everybody else, such as walking in the street for example.
>>
>>1441495
.... next month you can't withdraw any money from your bank account - it was stopped by the executor, you are fucked, you go take another loan.
Executor later allows you to withdraw a "life minimum" which is a lughably little money which hardly allow you to buy bread and water for your family. He then visits your home, take any appliances that are not necessary and can be sold - TV, PC, camera, coffe machine, anything. The fridge and washing machine stays. He sells it in a auction for laughably little money plus he keeps half of the money as the service charges.
So you later lose everything just because of a small loan.
And this does not apply only to loans, typical are unpayed fines or fees and stuff. You travel by bus without ticket - you get fine 20 Euro - you do not pay, forget about it. 6 Months later, without any notices in between, you discover you have to pay like 500 Euro for that fine, because of charges. If you cannot pay this and ignore it, it can get to like 4000 Euro, such cases exist.
This is all undercovered by our laws and justice, business with poor people.
FUnny is, these people who make money on the poors (executors, loan sharks, etc.) they know how to communicate with the poors, what they want to hear and what to promise them. SO later they go into politics, they have a massive election campaign focused on poor, the stupid poor give them votes and later, as politics, they all cover what is happening

Welcome to Czechia
>>
>>1441491
I think I approached her with some stupidity, lol
>>
>>1441496
I would add this

- CIRCUMCISION
>>
Sorry american bro. I never meant to derail the thread with negative statements about the US. I hope you'll have a great time in Europe and that the changes will not be big enough for you to lose sleep over.
>>
>>1441496
>>1441498
you forgot the part when most of those idiots get into debts because they want to buy a new shiny TV for Christmas

that being said, stop derailing the thread
>>
>>1441500
This. I consider myself a pretty tolerant guy but circumcision is just an abhorrent practice (especially when it's not even done for religious reasons and Americans just do it because they think it's normal).
>>
>>1441522
Well imagine being yourself so poor that you can't afford a 400Euro TV for your family not even for Christmas. You live the whole year eating the shittiest food, working in some shitty factory the worst manual repetitive slavery, can't afford vacation or definitely not even a new car.
If you live in western Europe, you are native in the country and you have a family, you are basically granted at least affordable living for families and not being affraid of starving or having the basic services everybody can afford (like paying your phone bills). In here nothing like that works. Do you have a family, kids, living outside Prague and having just average education because you are not even fortunate on the education side? Well, fck you, eat dirt you bastard, you dont deserve nothing.
>>
>>1441467
>People just suddenly talk to you while you are in public.
This one is also a cliche. You're overblowing this one.
>>
>>1441529
I think he means people try to sell you things when you're in public, which is a big thing in any metropolitan center all over the world. I have never been to a city and not been accosted by people trying to scam me - it's just that Europeans literally block gypsies out of their mind so they don't remember when it happens.
>>
>>1441470
>This one was really striking to me. The sheer poverty I saw in the US was striking and made me rethink my entire stance on how good we have it in the EU.

OK, bro. Europe has no poverty. Europe has no Muslim and African ghettos and shit. Fuck off you wool-over-the-eyes arrogant cunt.
>>
>>1441488
>Americans were impossible of saying something that could offend me in any way shape or form which kinda rubbed me the wrong way
M8 you are reaching Jesus.

>"Lack of banter" as well.
Meh, Yanks are Anglo and I find them more lighthearted and relaxed than most any European. Continentals are humourless as fuck tbqh it's not just the Germans. I could get on with the average Yank more than the average continental. Could just be my Anglo bias though.
>>
>>1441529
That's more an east coast thing
OP said he was in boston so it makes sense that randos would talk to him
Over in seattle it never happens, but after moving to the east coast I see it as normal now
>>
>>1441534
Australian here, agreed. I don't think any country is on the same level as Australia, although UK comes close. Yanks are down for a laugh but they have their no go zones that they get touchy about.
Europeans can be ok, but their humour doesnt accommodate as much for humour at their expense.
>>
US has poverty because diversity meaning people dont care about eachother enough to want to provide them something at their expense. Uncle lived in Germany a few years and said that Europeans aren't as nice and don't smile for no reason or anything.
>>
>>1441527
We have a different work culture. The hunger of the lower classes and wide wealth spectrum creates innovation and industrious people. This is why America is on top of the world stage.
>>
>>1441470
>I personally am more attracted to THICC bigger women which weren't allowed in these clubs.
Then we'll make our own club!
>>
>>1441477
>In the US it's almost the opposite, it's mostly about "teams"
Same here in Australia, and it's fucking retarded.
>>
>>1441542
>they have their no go zones that they get touchy about.
What about your aboriginal issues?
>>
give me a European capital/major city to live in and not feel like I'm in disneyland or ny/la
there is no appeal to me in buying things or getting "bang for my buck" i will be gladly appreciative.
>>
>>1441444
From a North USA perspective? I guess It depends where from.
>>
>>1441542
I don't get enough Australian banter in my life. Met a couple dudes in Iceland. We shared a room together. Loads of fun.

PS, you're a cunt.
>>
>>1441626
Don't go to capitals then, otherwise you'll always be the tourist. Which you still will be anyway but not a postcard type of tourist.
Lyon in France would be an interesting choice i think. It has parisian elements but without the hipster or obvious touristy stuff.
>>
ther eason americans dont want to offend euros is because so many euros come on bitching about our politics and its extremely rude/off-putting. if I approached a dutchman with the some frothing-at-the-mouth intensity they have for hating turmp, except directed it mark rutte they would sneer and get all butthurt. despite what you are led to believe euros are very doe eyed and gullible when it comes their own elected foreign officials.

euros aren't bad people but they are the definition of "like to dish it out, but can never take it". british and irish are exceptions to all this, so are many french (but not to the extent of the uk/ireland). there are also some other little pockets like basque country or south tirol that have the same jaded view of politicans that americans (and british) carry. but aside from this continental euros seem much more eager to tell you about how they know whats best for your country while insisting you have no clue about theirs. as if speaking english gives them window into the american soul (btw--they have never even been to the usa and are often afraid of the ETSA process) that I, despite living in the US for 25 years, am not afforded.
>>
>>1441638
Congratulations. You managed to call euros rude by default and yet use the same procedure you say they use. But of course... they're the bad guys...
>>
>>1441638
Have you ever been to Europe? Or even met actual Europeans? Doesn't sound like it.
>>
>>1441527
>Well imagine being yourself so poor that you can't afford a 400Euro TV for your family not even for Christmas. You live the whole year eating the shittiest food, working in some shitty factory the worst manual repetitive slavery, can't afford vacation or definitely not even a new car.
you forgot the part where you spend 150+CZK every day in a pub drinking beer and rum while complaining that you can't even afford vacation
>>
>>1441470
>This one was really striking to me. The sheer poverty I saw in the US was striking and made me rethink my entire stance on how good we have it in the EU.

lmao dude you can get a pretty warped impression of the states if you literally only go to san fran and new york

try florida beaches or the rockies
>>
>>1441456
>der tal der ahnungslosen
>>
>>1441444
nice digits op
>>
>>1441613
Over simplified analysis. US is on top at the current moment because of complex historical flows (such as GB empire going down, the rest of the worl embroiled in WW 1 and WW 2). Also EU is the biggest economy in the world by any standard.
>>
Europe isn't a country, burger.
There are 28(27) EU member states and are vastly different from eachother.

Some dutchfag above me was ranting about US and describing Europe as a heaven on earth. But that is expected from the Dutch because they really like to brag in their humble way. Very annoying people in my experience.
Look at IHDI stats if you want to know about general quality of life, if you want to compare cultures you will have to ask about specific country or even specific part of said country because things can differ vastly even within the same country.
>>
>>1442791
I'm dutch and I hate this self-righteous cunt as well, talking about how our country is God's gift to earth.

You can still compare the us and Europe. Europeans are less individualistic than Americans, which can be expressed in different ways: welfare states in western Europe, car-culture in the us, multiple generations living together in southern Europe, etc. Asians are even more collectivist than Europeans.
>>
>>1441467
>customary to give a tip after every drink
You got scammed m8
>>
Hate to say it, but I feel that a lot of Euros don't see the storm coming. At least in America the crisis of the week is on TV 24/7. They're in a bubble about where their countries are going
>>
>>1442817
>Asians are even more collectivist
Well true for most Asians but not for people from Greater China (the Mainland, HK, Singapore, Taiwan). To me, people from Greater China, especially ones from the Mainland, don't give a damn about other people at all. It's like they don't have any sympathy toward anyone. Perhaps, they have too many people to the point that they learned not to care.

T. Korean
>>
>>1441477
>Here politics usually resolve around genuine problems and trying to run the nation as efficiently as possible independent of political parties.
lol this is bullshit. Europe presents itself as having a lot of political diversity because each tiny country has dozens of political parties, but the reality is there is a massive and stiff consensus on European politics that every single party adheres to. This was made even worse by EU integration because every party that wants to have a serious chance at winning needs to adhere to EU-wide conventions and directives. European politics is a lot phonier than American politics and there is very little room for debate on the more controversial issues.
Europe is extremely left leaning, yet like to pretend to be "balanced centrists" or "social democratic". For example what does the "Christian Democratic Union" in Germany even stands for? What exactly is Christian about it? Or what is conservative about Britain's present Conservative party? Let's not even go to France where the most right-wing candidate Le Pen has the economic stance of Bernie Sanders.

If you look at European political history from the end of WW2 up to today, I think you will find the most right-wing politician is Hungary's Orban and even he is giving out benefits left and right to the gyppos in Hungary. If you try to explain this to an American he will find it confusing and hilarious.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (92 KB, 839x822)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Europe is better if
- you're a student
- you're an unqualified/manual worker
- you're single

America is better if
- you're a qualified professional
- have children
- favor consumerism over "culture". And I don't mean this in a bad way, there's nothing wrong with wanting disposable income and using that income to buy nice things for yourself

There's a reason why so many European scientists and engineers migrate to the US every year and you rarely see any qualified people doing the opposite journey. That's because for all their disregard for their poor people, Americans are unbeatable when it comes to rewarding talent. If you have a skill and can get shit done, US companies will not hesitate to shove money down your rectum to try and retain your talent. Pic related is what Google pays a software engineer. $190k for 1 year industry experience? You will absolutely not find anything that gets even close to that anywhere in Europe.
You could be an engineer in BMW for 3 years and drive a fucking Corsa to your one bedroom house and then afford a Ryanair trip to Spain once a year.
Which leads us to the issue of crime. Yes, statistically there is more crime in the US, but unlike Europe, if you have a good job, you will never be forced to share your neighborhood with niggers. If you live in an American suburb you are far less exposed to crime than if you live in a European inner city. If you're poor in America you're all out of luck though as American inner cities are often third world tier.

But of course, the price of this is American job environment is a lot more aggressive. You will always be on the edge as there will always be someone trying to backstab you or find a reason to get you fired and take your place.
>>
>>1442909
If anyone is interested:
https://www.levels.fyi/?compare=Google,Facebook,Microsoft&track=Software%20Engineer

These salaries for those years of experience are fucking surreal by European standards.
>>
>>1441470
>There are actual homeless people on the streets living in tents. Entire streets were dedicated to homeless people living in rows of tents.
You must've gone to San Francisco. They are mostly drug addicts who throw away everything on heroin. There are plenty of shelters they could stay in, but they aren't allowed to shoot up heroin inside the shelters, so they stay on the streets.

It's a lifestyle choice. Literally.

And as far as Yurop, when I visited Amsterdam I had pickpockets chasing me around trying to rob me from the moment I stepped off the airport train until I dodged into a hotel. Not to mention all the drug addicts begging for money. And that was a decade ago, long before the "Syrian" rapefugee crisis that has flooded your cities with Arab jihadis and criminal niggers.

Picrelated is African rapefugees storming a nude beach in Spanish territory. Apparently they were too busy fleeing the police to bother raping all de white wimmen at that time.

>>1441477
>Here politics usually resolve around genuine problems and trying to run the nation as efficiently as possible independent of political parties. In
Bullshit, you guys just censor anyone who thinks things should be handled differently.
>>
>>1442791
Yeah totally agree, all i wanted to add is that there are many reasons for the state of the play as it is. But like you point it out there are many approaches to determining the development of the country (area if you like) the HDI is one of the best ways imo.
>>
>>1442909
I should mention that I was the Dutch student. I was doing a masters degree at MIT and am a qualified Engineer now.

I prefer Europe over America due to the increase in quality of life. I specifically like The Netherlands because it seems like people truly understand each other and there isn't so much divide about people.

I like the fact that while I relatively make a lot of money someone on welfare isn't living in a completely different world than me. I don't live in a segregated community and I feel like there isn't a real class divide. Again I come from a very poor family that is living on welfare to this day yet the government made it so that I could go to university and even go to a top-rated US university on Dutch government money without any strings attached.

It also feels good that if I had children and for whatever reason I couldn't provide for them their lives wouldn't be reasonably ok due to the Government and by extension our society actually giving a shit and providing a live for them.

I'm willing to pay extra taxes for an actual cohesive society where the breaking news is about how some sheep escaped from the farm and everything is stable.

I actually originally wanted to emigrate to the US but after actually living there for 2 years and liking the people I realized that the class divide and internal division is just too high for me to truly enjoy. I'd feel like a piece of shit making a lot of money while seeing genuine homeless people on the streets.

Things like that are not ok. Muslim immigrants (primarily Moroccans here) are actually also starting to get more integrated, educated and contributing members of society. I used to think our government was too soft and them exploiting us but after more experience and time I've seen the rapid improvement made since the 90s and am now convinced that the Dutch government did the perfect thing by treating them so well. Within a couple of decades they'll fully assimilate.
>>
>>1443000
Lol never in my 24 years have I been robbed or pickpocketed in the Netherlands, or have taken any precaution against them.

You see the shit you want to see to for your political agenda my man. Crime in Europe is objeftively lower than in the us.
>>
>>1441444
>This thread
>>
>>1442214
False I actually believe that the us leads if you adjust for ppp
>>
>>1442214
Nothing commercially relevant has come out of Europe for 60 years. US leads in every way and Europe just copies. GPS, commercial jet planes, computing, smartphones, assembly lines in car manufacture etc.
Whenever Europe seems to be ahead, it is some white elephant being pumped with government subsidies to survive like high speed rail, supersonic air travel or the LHC.

European entrepreneurship is dead. Suffocated by bureaucracy, taxes and a chronic shortage of ambitious young people who are brought up to expect the state to provide everything for them.
>>
>Autist from Lowlands is autist^TM
>'mericans from 'murrica are offended^TM
>muh superior culture
>muh economy
>muh ...

Why can't people just behave properly?
>>
>>1443742
True when talking about technology. There are plenty of other economic sectors like the german car industry, dutch agricultural sector or the Swiss research sector, or the financial industry in London.

Again a show of the point I made earlier: Americans are more individualistic and only think you succeed if you're an entrepreneur
>>
>>1443742
>mfw fibre optic was created in the uk
go fuck yourself. many of the American innovations you mentioned came out of the military-industrial complex (essentially arms of the us government). here are some supposed irrelevant companies that are behind America - the car industry in Bavaria (vw, BMW), arm, airbus, bae

anyway to answer ops question - yes life is different. work life balance is often far better, healthcare is often subsidised or free. population density, etiquette, public transport are all very different
>>
>>1443768
>mfw fibre optic was created in the uk
lol is this what they teach you in school? The concept first appeared in Paris over a century ago. Then CSELT in Italy demonstrated it's first practical use and later Southampton University + Bell Labs developed ways to make it commercially viable. A long shot from "created in the UK".
Yet my point still stands. Europe played such an important role in developing the technology yet didn't make a single dime from it. Probably because it is a terrible environment for starting a business and profit is seen as a bad word by most people.
>>
bump
>>
>>1443742
Hi
>>
>>1441477
>yeah this one was really weird
>uhhh, yeah that was like so weird
god youre a faggot, fuck you and fuck wooden clogs and fuck you
>>
>>1443000
my god /pol/ tards are retarded holy shit
>>
>>1444997
Not a surprise that they overlap a lot with /r9k/. /r9k/ is full of basement-dwelling virgins who think they are experts on women because they get their worldview from memes in their echo chamber. /pol/ is full of basement-dwelling virgins who think they are experts on the world because they get their worldview from memes in their echo chamber.
>>
Muslims. A lot of Muslims.
>>
>>1445060
Yeah about 0.8% of the EU population is Muslim. Scary!!!!

Just to give you a reference in the US between 1 and 2% of the population is muslim 4% if you include sects such as Black people claiming to be muslim even though they don't actually practice Islam.

Look at actual stats and numbers instead of memes.
>>
>>1445102
I live in Germany
>>
>>1445119
And? US still has a lot more muslims and always will.
>>
>>1441444
I travel back and forth between Europe and the U.S frequently, and the differences are definitely there. It's difficult to explain without having have witnessed it yourself, but it boils down to overall quality of life. People in Europe are just different.
>>
>>1446241

Which side do you believe has a better quality of life?
>>
>>1446259

Not him but. Irrelevant. Europe is not one country. Norway is pretty fkn different from Transnistria.
>>
I'm American but I've lived in Germany for the past six years. I'm visiting the US now and I fucking hate it. I keep wondering to myself how I put up with this place for 27 years. The food here is dogshit, no one ever eats an actual vegetable.
The traffic is ungodly retarded. On the highways everyone rides in the left lane to slowly pass the few cars in the right lane. Why the fuck is this a thing? Everyone is texting on their phones while driving too.
I'm used to walking or biking everywhere. I can't do that in the US. All the houses are all painted the same boring beige color too.
Euros do have an obsession with Trump when I say I'm from America, but it's easy to just change the topic and they are more than willing. I've only met one Swede actually interested in Trump in a positive way so we spoke more about him.

I hate the US and I'm never moving back. I'd rather take any EU country over the US
>>
>>1443170
Crime is lower in the EU but recently it slightly went up, therefore making it seem like it's a massive crime wave. By comparison of previous times sure it's a crime wave, but compared to the US it's fucking peaceful and crime free.
>>
>>1446357
As far as I am concerned, you are welcome to stay as long as you like, ameribro.
>>
>>1446357
SAME. My extended tour around Europe changed my life. I finally realized just how backwards we are. I sold my car and walk everywhere. Dont need a bike. I also started using public trans. We really are that fat, and quite uninformed. Everyone thinks im a weirdo if I walk when something is only like a Mile or so away. I slowed my life down to enjoy it more instead of rushing to get everything done so I can work more, so I can buy more shit to get home to and not use, that American consumer based lifestyle were indoctrinated into is crazy. I walk to the store daily to buy fresh veggies and meat for the day, two tops, instead of going to Costco for months worth of stuff. My life and subsequently my mind is much less cluttered now. I bought all this shit for my house and was never satisfied, but all the friends I made and girls I met who incited me to stay at their homes while I was traveling, always had minimal things by comparison. Though they never had a shortage of things to go out and do to enjoy. Instead of making their home up into something to never leave. They went out to meet people and the interactions always seemed much more genuine.

I realized just how shitty our people are to each other. The fake pleasantries now bug me. Ive come to appreciate that cold indifference from eastern europeans. Realizing that after a bit of time. Them not feigning niceness and pleasantries isn't a reflection of them, its just a part of our self serving cultural ego. We can't have silence because everyone must know we exist and recognize our presence. Once they met and spoke with me once or twice, they were much more friendly and interested in my life and me as a person than most Americans who are just waiting for you to ask them about themselves so they can talk. and talking to you, or asking about you, is just initiating the opportunity for them to relish about themselves to you. Im working to create a skill set this year in tech, with a reputable Dev bootcamp.
>>
>>1446547
>I walk to the store daily to buy fresh veggies and meat for the day, two tops, instead of going to Costco for months worth of stuff.

This has absolutely nothing to do with being in the US or Europe. This is a personal choice. There are plenty of small shops and farmer markets in America. Likewise, in every European city with more than 50k people you will find a large supermarket/wholesaler where you can shop in large quantities then drive home.
I live in Europe and there is a lot of things I buy from a wholesaler like beer, cleaning/laundry products, or coffee simply because it is a lot more practical to get non-perishables in large amounts once a month than going to a local shop every time you run out of something.
>>
>>1446357
cont

As well as trying to get this contracting job in afghanaland for one year to put 100k in the bank. Once I have that, I may do a second one, tops. That would just be for financial security though. And once I have it, with no debt, Im applying for whatever country will give me a job entry level or other. Once ive got my foot in the door though, Im working towards citizenship. Idec where it is. Every eastern euro country I went to which was all but Romania Macedonia and Bulgaria, I enjoyed and would take in a heartbeat over the US.

Dont even get me started on our identity politics or crime, by comparison.

Enough of the rant. Im done I could go on for a while. Im over the US man. Whichever country will take me, I would be glad to contribute my efforts towards.
... except those fucking French.
>>
>>1446551
there's no way you've lived in a good portion of rural or secluded America if you believe this. Your choices are limited. My choices weren't over there.
>>
>>1446342
by that logic comparing US to anything is irrelevant since rural North Dakota is pretty fucking different from NYC
>>
>>1446553
What is population density?
Europe has a bunch of large cities within a relatively small radius. If you trace a polygon connecting all of Europe's major cities they fit within an area roughly 1/3 of the contiguous USA. If your problem was rural isolation, you could have moved to any major urban area in the US. It's completely retarded to compare the availability of goods and services between a farm in Idaho and some city in the Blue Banana.

People living in the Tabernas desert, the Scottish highlands or The northern tip of Norway experience the same limitations you did.
>>
>>1446562

>I walk to the store daily.
That right there is a far off concept for us, I assure you. The idea of our legs being used for anything other than pressing a gas pedal is far off. It was also more of the point of that statement. However, ill tack on more. We buy shit tons of things and bulk, a large enough portion of it doesn't get used. As the next time they go, they buy another months worth of everything. Lots goes unused and eventually thrown out because it wasn't used. Part of the big box everything and consumerism here.

The idea of taking an hour a day to go walk a mile and grab groceries daily or every two days is so far out of their minds as an inconvenient thing they rinse and repeat the process. It was more about the slowing down of life. But I didn't elaborate well.

Yes, its a personal choice, but its a choice most dont make in my experience. This includes having lived all around the US both coasts, north and south as well. City and rural. I eat steak just about everyday by going this route and buying whats on sale to go bad in a day. Cut my bills down to around $150 for the month. And I learned this from living like they did in the time I spent over there. It was such a common experience too. I just followed their lead. I learned a lot. Youre talking about beer cleaning etc.. im saying they shop like that for everything.

to each their own man. Its been my experience, may not reflect yours.
>>
>>1446570
>you're right, but also an idiot
Im American

it is what it is man. This place isn't for me anymore.
>>
>>1446357
>no one ever eats an actual vegetable
this
>>
>>1446559
>believing North Dakota is as separate from NYC as Norway from Transnistria
Get out more
Also. This forum is not for you.
>>
>>1446259
>>1446342
I'm him. For me, it's definitely Europe. Just the right amount of comfy. As others have mentioned, living in the U.S. is much more convenient. Not sure if it's just where I've lived, but I feel as if people in the U.S. don't relax and aren't as wholesome. For example (this is an extreme generalization), in Europe, I feel it's much more common for families to visit an area such as a forest and just take a walk together. I feel as Americans however, must have a certain objective set when going out. They go out in the woods to camp or hunt. They go to the city to shop in a particular mall, eat a specific restaurant, or watch the newest movie (again, consumerism).
>>
>>1446553
Theres no way you have
>>
>>1446698
Lived in Atlanta, nyc, Baltimore, Portland, San Fran, Seattle. Lexington, Phoenix, Charlotte, Sam Antonio. And that’s just SOME of the pupolus areas I’ve lived in..

But okay okay anon.. obviously you know better.
>>
>>1446570
>shit like murder is skyrocketing in europe
You're the idiot. This is simply not true. Once again showing the quality of education in America.
>>
>>1446570
Stats show a decline in crime year on year in Europe since 1950. Immigration has had almost 0 effect on crime rates. In fact a lot of prisons have had to be revamped into other buildings due to many of them having a shortage of prisoners.
>>
>>1441456
What you posted is Dresden, which was in the ex DDR, aka commie shithole bombed to ruins during WWII and then rebuilt with commie blocks.
>>
>>1441467
The no personal space rule applies to southern Europe too.
>>
>>1441852
Beer is cheaper than water in the Czech republic. Like literally, I'm not even kidding.
>>
>>1446846
https://ourworldindata.org/homicides

You are not welcome on this board. Never set foot here again, you lying idiot.
>>
>>1446846
>europe hasn't been more dangerous since the eighteenth century
>it be this way 'cause I say it is
So what are the non-opinion based sauces for your claims?
>>
>>1446853
/pol/ told him so, so it must be true. No proofs needed. He's too busy preparing to travel to eastern Europe to find a traditional virgin wife.
>>
>>1446856
You're right, the world is very dangerous now. Don't travel to Europe, stay in your basement, it's the only way you will be safe.
>>
>>1446855
>page not found

Hmm... Please go to /pol/. Actual statistics show that immigration had no impact on crime and were a contributing factor to the economy. The only "downside" the immigration had was that that low skilled labor wages dropped. But this had the benefit of making cost of production and therefor prices drop. It was an economic and quality of life win as almost no natives were doing those low-skilled labor jobs anyway.

Sure the minority of people that did live off of those low-skilled jobs are now right wing /pol/ people being tricked into thinking crime is growing.

But again look at the actual fucking statistics for a change.
>>
>>1446836
Murder often gets recorded as manslaughter in Europe because the bar to determine whether or not someone was intentionally killed is a lot higher over there.
A one-punch knockout resulting in someone hitting the pavement and dying will almost certainly be recorded as unintentional/manslaughter in Europe.
Also Eurostat's definition of recidivism is completely insane in that a criminal is only considered a reoffender if he commits a crime within 3 years of being released.
>>
>>1446866
>Actual statistics show that immigration had no impact on crime and were a contributing factor to the economy
There are actually people who believe this, wow, and these people thanks to democracy have an equal vote to the rest of us. Amazing.
>>
>>1446866
mon dieu, an actual redditor!
>>
>>1446871
>Murder often gets recorded as manslaughter in Europe
Source: your ass. Get out of this board, this board is for adults, underageds like you belong on /pol/.
>>
>>1446874
>there are people who believe actual statistics
Good thing that /pol/ virgins uphold the truth of memes, things like statistics and facts are dangerous.
>>
>>1446870
Yes this is true but the total amount of crime among immigrants is still dropping. The rate of drop in crime slowed down due tot the immigrant spike.

To give an example. The rate of crime dropping year on year among immigrants was -3% but when the refugee crisis began it only dropped -0.5% year on year (not real statistics).

They call this reduction in the rate of decline of crime "rising crime" but in reality there is still a decline among the crime immigrants commit year on year it's just happening slowly due to the refugees actually committing more crime while the "old immigrants" still dropping more.

The total amount of crime is still dropping year on year since the 1950s.

>>1446872
Again you are singling out refugees from immigrants. If you look at immigrants globally the % of employment is growing every year and is getting closer and closer to native employment %. The refugees however weren't here to work in the first place. They were political refugees and most of them are in education due to not being compatible with the labor market in any meaningful way.

So yes, refugees DID increase crime (but were offset with other immigrants committing fewer crimes so still a total reduction of crime happened)

And YES most refugees are unemployed (but the total amount of immigrants being employed is still growing year on year).

So if you zoom in on refugees it makes the situation look very bad but if you zoom out and look at the immigration in general you see that they are actually a beneficial factor for society and not a problem at all.

Most refugees will either return to their country or follow a similar slow integration path into western society like moroccans/turks/algerians have done in the past. In the end forming a positive contribution to the EU.

I'm not even a left-wing person either. I just base my worldview around actual statistics and economic knowledge of the situation.
>>
Please report this /pol/ cancer as he's already started linking irrelevant articles about individual crimes and not genuine statistics such as used by CIAfactbook, interpol, IMF and other international institutions actually monitoring the contribution immigrants have on crime/economics

Watch how he will post statistics about race and IQ and how those other statistics aren't to be trusted due to being doctored by Jews or some other insane /pol/ shit next. /trv/ is still one of the only sane places left (if we ignore sexpat and wife finding threads). Don't let /pol/ cancer slowly take over the board.
>>
>>1446570
>skyrocketing
Having a low baseline mean any increase is noticeable.
>>
>>1446855
>europe hasn't been more dangerous since the 18th century
>tries to link - 404
>even the correct URL gives no evidence for that claim
Don't give up your (menial) day-job. And you still have not put up any sauce for your claims apart from your tender feelz.

>>1446860
>travel to eastern Europe to find a traditional virgin wife.
Funny 'cause it's literally what they imagine will happen when they put their white Nike trainers on Romanian soil. Reality bites though, and no romantic teen fantasy has ever come true.

>A one-punch knockout ... will almost certainly be recorded as unintentional/manslaughter
Gee whiz, I wonder if that might be because it literally is manslaughter. Nobody goes out and premeditates murder planning to use their bare fists.
>>
>>1446895
>irrelevant articles about individual crimes and not genuine statistics
lol you idiot, my point was that murder often gets recorded as manslaughter in europe, do you really think there's an official statistical publication saying "number of manslaughter charges that should actually be homicide charges"? How dense are you. Eurostats on crime are unreliable. Law enforcement and justice in most western european countries are notorious for diminishing responsibility and downgrading violent crimes to less serious ones.
>>
>>1446891
>I don't understand the definition of manslaughter - the post
>>
>>1446900
>Law enforcement and justice in most western european countries are notorious for diminishing responsibility and downgrading violent crimes

You charge the suspect with what you estimate can lead to a conviction. Elementary judicial knowledge that you just don't get, youngblood. It is the same in any state guided by the rule of law.
>>
>>1446357
Tbh we have an obsession with Trump because the medias keep pushing his idiotic moves and tweets every single day.
>>
File: food-deserts.jpg (162 KB, 913x507)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>1446551
A lot of places in the US dont have access to either. If you life in bumfuck tennessee you dont have access to a fucking farmers market. In Europe, there will always be a fresh fruit and veggie store nearby.
>>
>>1446570
>at least americans have balls
Wow hm i bet you think you're an alpha right?
I'm sure you're one of those americans Who think "at least Trump is getting shit done!"
You would probably speed up your car if you saw a wall at the end of the road. Because you got baaalllsss, fucking idiot
>>
>>1446843
>aka commie shithole bombed to ruins during WWII and then rebuilt with commie blocks
That's literally every major city in Europe.
>>
>>1446942
>I do not know what "literally" means
>>
>>1446951
It is literally every major city. In the "truest" sense of the word.
Sure, some have nice old town, but so has Dresden.
>>
>>1446958
Why do Burgers who have never been to Europe pretend they are experts on Europe because they absorb /pol/ memes?
>>
>>1446966
Stop making retarded assumptions. I'm from Germany.
>>
>>1446972
>London
>Paris
>bombed to ruins and commieblocks
Ignorant lying Burger.
>>
>>1446974
Don't bother. That's the mentally ill /pol/tard self-hating second generation immigrant from east Europe. He is immune to facts.
>>
>>1446974
London
>>
>>1446460
Thank you.
>>
This thread was a rollercoaster ride.
>>
>>1446900
>Statistics are unreliable because they can have biases
>/Pol/ is reliable, totally no biases

Lol
>>
>>1441467
>I wish American workers would just chill a bit more and regard work more mechanically instead of trying to make people "feel good"

this is not an option, friend. that forced gleeful persona is part of the job description and with the death of unions and very minimal social security you need to beg for your job with your attitude every minute youre at work.
>>
>>1447750
>muh trade unions
Those are still very strong in southern european economies. You know, the ones with chronically high unemployment even at times of economic growth. The ones where qualified young people flee as soon as they turn 18 to look for jobs elsewhere.
>>
>>1447756
All of Europe has strong unions faggot
>>
>>1447769
No they don't and i'm not even the guy you're replying to.
>>
File: maggiet[1].jpg (22 KB, 468x398)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>1447769
strong union butthurt maybe
>>
>>1446906
Dont know the legitimacy of the pic, but yeah.

>>1446689

Im with you dude, you're just able to articulate it better. Its our consumer, purpose driven mindset. Not the ability to just go do something for the sake of doing it. I think the standoffishness of Euros is because they dont have to fake giving a shit about you. Until they know you, my opinion of American interactions is you can get someones phone number(not for a date, as a friend) and they'll bail or never follow through on any plans. This has been irrelevant of what part of the country ive been living in. However when someone gives me their phone number in europe I dont run into this problem.

Im also talking about eastern where my experience in europe was from when I spent time there. I imagine in more western places where interaction is more shallow and skin deep, for your own ego, like America, it probably has a lot of the same problems.

I could be off base though. The furthest west I went besides frankfurt for a few days, was Prague.
>>
>>1448642
letting in political refugees is a UN mandate. Every nation in the globe has to follow this rule ever since WW2 due to nobody accepting Jewish refugees.

The refugee situation is also stretched out of proportion. For example the refugee crisis is already over and more refugees are returning home than coming. Meaning we already have a Net reduction of refugees every month now. The remaining refugees tend to be more westernized and secular and actually try to integrate. I personally know 2 Syrians, 1 Iranian girl and 1 somalian which are all refugees for 2-3 years now and studying at the local university. They all speak fluent English and are genuinely trying to speak the local language. They tend to give their all in the university as well.

And again refugees don't have a claim to citizenship when their situation gets resolved. For lots of Syrians and Iranian kurds that situation is already under control and they are actually returning home now. For other groups like Yemen,Libya they will stay as the situation at home is still war or civil war with genocides.

Please realize that the refugees coming here are usually suppressed minorities or not politically represented at home. This usually mean they are more liberal and secular than other arabs. Such as the Iranian refugee not wearing a head scarve and her being an atheist. Al the Iraqi refugees are also scarve-less
>>
>>1448651
>have to accept refugees because of jews
>Israel doesn't take in any refugees
The irony.
>>
>>1448651
>Please realize that the refugees coming here are usually suppressed minorities or not politically represented at home.
No. They are economic migrants who aren't qualified enough to apply for a visa through the normal route. Most of them throw away their documents and refuse to say where they are from, so the receiving country had no way of deporting them. If they were actual political refugees fleeing persecution, they would apply for refugee status and show the supporting evidence, something that is done by thousands of legitimate refugees in Europe.
Stop contextualizing these freeloaders.
>>
>>1446906
Eh, depends on where you go. Farmers markets aren't uncommon, and produce has a pretty good "farm to fork" track record of a couple of days.
>>
>>1448671
Have you ever been to Tel Aviv? You'd be very surprised at how many East Africans refugees live there
>>
>>1448738
Illegals. Israel doesn't willingly take in a single refugee from Syria even though they are the ones who started the whole mess.
>>
>>1448755
>Israël created the Syria conflict
Hot takes
>>
>>1448676
This is an extreme minority and the EU mandate of late 2016 already means we can deport any refugee without documentation if they can't proof their personhood in 14 days time meaning new refugees even bother coming as the journey to europe is more expensive than worth the small chance of not being found out.

>>1448755
>Israel doesn't willingly take in a single refugee from Syria even though they are the ones who started the whole mess.

Please keep your conspiracy theories in >>>/pol/
>>
>>1448802
>we can deport any refugee without documentation
Deport them where?
If someone arrives on a boat and has no documents and wont say where they're from, where the hell do you deport them to? Do you even know how the deportation process works? You can't just drop them on some random point in Africa. They need do be boarded on a plane and then the country they are being deported to needs to approve that plane to land there, and no African country will accept a plane full of people they aren't even sure is their citizens.
Very few of the so-called refugees reached Europe through an official border crossing. We still don't know how many there are in total, where they came from or even their age. It's fucking ridiculous you think they can provide evidence of their need for asylum when there is so much information being withed by the applicants. The level of brainwashing you must've gone through to see this crisis as anything but a clusterfuck with terrible long term implications for all the countries involved is scary.

Also where are the women and children?
>>
My thoughts on immigration are just a matter of 2 things.

Either you're a hardworking contributing member of society, or a welfare leech who hasn't even learned how to say "Hello".

Take for example Germany. Most of the Syrians there won't even bother using the Free Education benefits of the Country to find themselves a job in the future and to give themselves and the country a reason to stay. Possibly the most respected culture of Immigrants in Germany are Yugoslavians. You might have a different opinion over it, but most of them are literate, spreche Deutsch, and most importantly, have stable jobs with years of experience. I mentioned them specifically because there's not one town in Germany I know of where they are not located.

I'm just going on a long rant here, so to keep it short, do you agree, or can you elaborate my statement with a better suggestion or example?
>>
>>1448823
> most of them are literate, spreche Deutsch,
*sprechen Deutch
I'm guessing you're not german.

Syrians are pretty grate immigrants actually. They came from a relatively rich country and usually have at least secondary education. Most of them have been allocated housing by now.

The most problems are had with "refugees" in quotes. Bangladeshi, pakistani, afghani, albanian, somali, eritreans. These people saw that the EU let in syrians, so they decided to hop on over as well. Instead of fleeing chemical warfare, they tried to escape shitty life because they had nothing to lose. This larger group are the ones you can see hanging around on the street.
>>
>>1441444
Places like Poland or Czech Republic are much safer than any US state and lack the “vibrant diversity” US has
>>
>>1448832
*Deutsch, my bad

but that's a pretty good point I guess
>>
>>1441498
>tfw I took £4000 loan to go for a holiday to Thailand and fuck ladyboys
fuck it, it was worth it
>>
>>1442817
>You can still compare the us and Europe. Europeans are less individualistic than Americans,
Only a rootless American could think that there is an unified European culture.
People like Poles are radically different from Germans, and Russians from English.
>>
>>1442901
>but the reality is there is a massive and stiff consensus on European politics that every single party adheres to.
Like what? What is the consensus PiS in Poland and Jobbik in Hungary follow that is the same in Germany or France?
>>
>>1442909
>If you live in an American suburb you are far less exposed to crime than if you live in a European inner city
kek, you seriously think all cities on European continent are the same?No matter what country?
>>
>>1442912
so are housing prices in San Francisco and New York
>>
>>1445060
>Muslims. A lot of Muslims.
Like 0.02% in Poland?
>>
>>1448837
No, the plural would be sprechen, not spreche.

>>1448841
>Only a rootless American could think that there is an unified European culture.
Not only did I say that I'm dutch, but I also never said there was a "european culture". You can still compare the continents on the expression of their cultures. There are, generally speaking some similarities between european countries that the US does not share.

>People like Poles are radically different from Germans, and Russians from English.
Nah, we're not that different. Ethnic groups inside India can be more distinct than those four countries.
>>
>>1448852
I am Polish and I feel that I understand and can emphatise with Thais or Malaysians more than Germans.
>>
>>1448854
why? I get that you can personally feel this way, but do you think polish people in general are closer to malaysians or germans?

Different language family, different religion, different government systems, different colonial history, different climate, different cuisine, people look different, etc.
>>
>>1448869
>different colonial history
actually quite similar
>>
>>1448883
Thailand was never colonised
Malaysia was mostly under indirect british rule based around trading ports

How is that similar to poland
>>
>>1448894
>Thailand was never colonised
Not by a western power no. But Japan ruled thailand for quite a while. At least long enough that the massive institutional rape camps that were maintained in Thailand for almost a decade are a seriously hushed topic and talking about it can get you into serious trouble.

The prostitution industry is a hold-over from the Japanese occupation of Thailand. Before the Japanese took over Thailand prostitution wasn't a "normal part of Thai culture".

This is also the reason why so many places have Japanese writing still to this day.
>>
there are so many unabashedly ignorant people here from both sides.

I believe it was Tocqueville who coined the phrase "American exceptionalism."

which is basically the brunt of all the arguments here. America is different in every conceivable way. The good mood, the affable energy, its all cultural and for the most part is genuine.

Europeans aren't used to this because of the amalgamation of cultures in every single direction. because of this the European Countries stay with their own.

as for the poverty in the us.... there are more millionaires than homeless. what does that tell you?
>>
someone give me the quick gestalt on this thread
>>
>>1442895
I feel like the Chinese have a very selfish expression of collectivism

As if they are all together in a hive of misery and you must be brutal to rise above it, it only becomes obviously collective when there are chinese enclaves in foreign countries and they shun working with non-chinese

its a similar vibe with Russians but they don't seem to have that collective will so much, much more individualist
>>
>>1443753
german detected
>>
>>1446357
>The food here is dogshit, no one ever eats an actual vegetable.
Eastern Europeans don't eat vegetables either except for onions and cabbage
>>
>>1448854
>I am Polish and I feel that I understand and can emphatise with Thais or Malaysians more than Germans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Haitians

Your ancestors thought similarly. Napoleon era French brought some Poles to fight against the slaves in an uprising, the Poles decided to fight alongside them instead because they empathized with their situation due to Polish history reasons which I'm sure you know.

Pretty intersting seeing stuff like this happen. Like with Southern Italy and Quebec loving the Confederate Battle flag.
>>
>>1449329
>as for the poverty in the us.... there are more millionaires than homeless. what does that tell you?

This is also the case in many EU countries. With the difference being that there are 0 homeless people due to government mandates guaranteeing a house and income for everyone.
>>
>as for the poverty in the us.... there are more millionaires than homeless. what does that tell you?

Tells me that Americans don't care for their own countrymen as they clearly have enough wealth to provide everyone with a certain standard of quality of life. Yet they still let their weakest become homeless and suffer daily.

What happened to common decency and unity with your own people? The fact that you probably made that statement as a positive point about America instead of seeing that it's really a negative thing horrifies me.

I'm glad I'm not born in the US where you're just thrown to the wolves if you are a weak member of society instead of being taken care of until you are able to stand on your own feet. Damn.
>>
>>1441467

Apparently there is tipping in Quebec but I didn't tip nor did the couple from France next to me tip.
>>
File: fre.png (390 KB, 2480x772)
390 KB
390 KB PNG
>>1441477
>Despite the Netherlands having a higher English speaking rate than Canada.

Doesn't know of Quebec.

For most intents and purposes, Quebec is it's own country.
>>
>>1441467
>I kept ordering drinks and after a while the bartender got mad and threw me out
thats total bullshit, as long as you pay for your drinks you can't be thrown out for not tipping. what bar was it? so i make sure i never go there (nyc native).
>>
>>1449340
lol best ever veggies you'll get is at the balkans, so supple and full of flavour and pure. don't tell me you haven't seen salads or pickles with all meals
>>
>>1449340
I've been in the US now for almost two months and have yet to see a veggie on the table unless make it myself. Corn and fucking potatoes don't count.

>But muh eastern euro eats cabbage and onions
Yeah and cabbage is fucking amazing for you. They eat way more than that as well.

Americans cannot cook either. They simply make tacos because it's easy or go to Mexican restaurants.
>>
>>1449955
Nibba pls. Im euro, most of our food is shit compared to the us. Only southern euros can compete.
>>
>>1449973
Amerifat detected
>>
>>1449973
Unless you live in Norway or something, I don't know how you could think that. Personally, I don't really find a double burger dipped in grease and topped off with fake american cheese appetizing... Or fried chicken...
>>
>>1450005
>>1449986
I'm Dutch, pretty close.

I take it you guys haven't been to the southern US?
>>
>>1450054
As a Dutch person you have no say when it comes to food.
>>
>>1450005
American food is great if you don't force yourself to empty the plate.
>>
>>1450097
Hoe dense are you? I just said food here is shit , and that southern euro and American food are better
>>
>>1441444
>that fire in the background
>>
File: 100_2698.jpg (707 KB, 2576x1716)
707 KB
707 KB JPG
>>1441444
I was surprised at the -- for lack of a better word -- antique standard of living in the European homes I've visited. That maybe sounds like a put-down, I don't mean it that way. There are things I liked, and things I didn't like, about the way my European friends live compared to the way American friends live. European civilization and culture is OLD compared to the US, and you can feel that in the way they live.

I could get used to living either way, but there is still a difference in living in one compared to the other.
>>
>>1450504
Yeah I live in a 700 year old building. It's because most cities have laws against deconstructing old buildings to build new houses. So I'm stuck living in this 700 year old house that wasn't even originally build to have humans live in them. It was made to store goods.

Meanwhile in the US houses are seen as consumer units. Like a automobile or mobile phone. You're supposed to live in it for a couple of decades then tear it down and built a new unit (with the benefit of new technology). Honestly I like new buildings way better due to the increased quality of life. But ask my girlfriend or sentimental people and they will always pick the ancient "soulful" home with a history.
>>
>>1450514
That's a little overstated, at least on the US side, but yeh, you're essentially right.

I've lived in this house in the US for 12 years, lived in my previous house for 20 years -- but I hate the bother of moving all my shit.

But neither house was 30 years old when I moved in.
>>
File: 594382578[1].jpg (366 KB, 2400x1350)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
>>1450504
Ameris surprise me in the fact that you haven't engineered things in your urban environment. You don't find fkn overhead power cable salad in the first world unless it is in the US. Also, your water meters and just about anything mechanical lacks the refinement of the equivalent products in the Nordic countries or Germany.
Pic related: Shitsville Arkansas or rural China... one would not know.
>>
>>1450514
The lack of insulation in the US still baffles me to this day. Blasting the A/C to the max. when you could just build better walls and use less energy. All those fake excuses my American friends come up with to defent their way of building houses...
>>
>>1450331
Which says nothing omdat Dutch have next to no tastebuds.
>>
>>1450568
Part of that is the price we pay for less central planning in other areas of our lives. Like I said, there are pluses and minuses living in either place. If you've found the lace you prefer, that's good. So have I. That's nice, eh?
>>
>>1450568
Paris, 2006.

Shit happens everywhere when the infrastructure gets old and starts getting "layered" with add-ons.
>>
File: paris power lines.jpg (105 KB, 852x480)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1450649
Forgot pic.
>>
File: 53699183ed53f[1].jpg (98 KB, 400x333)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>1450646
>the price we pay for less central planning
I still think one can have a reasonable amount of aesthetics in one's environment as well as freedums(tm)
Would y'all be taxed to death just by putting some hideous wires away?
>pic related, comes up on a search for the whynotboth jpg
>>
>>1450649
I stand corrected. Granted, I have never seen shit like that in Yurop, so not so common.
>>
>>1450651
I am not at all uncomfortable with the concept that neither my country nor any other is perfect, nor even perfectly the way I would want it to be.

We're not much at centrally planned beauty, but still, every now and then, we come up with something that's pretty good.
>>
>>1450649
Don't believe everything you read though. That image is from a related pic to a URL on shutterstock with the Paris 2006 text. The actual video shows traffic and cars that looks very far from Parisian, that is left-hand-side traffic and those are stairs to the BTS Skytrain. It's Bangkok, and that is where the copyright holder is from too
https://www.shutterstock.com/en/video/clip-26492318-large-number-electrical-wires-on-electric-post
>>
>>1450568
>You don't find fkn overhead power cable salad in the first world unless it is in the US
Plenty of those in Tokyo.
And it's perfectly reasonable too. In Europe whenever work needs to be carried out on the power network you have to close a street for a few weeks and break the pavement then cover it back up. In the US they just send a worker up a pole and get done with it in a day.
Europe's obsession with making frivolous things look good and polished instead of just opting for the practical way is part of the reason why taxes are so high and disposable income so low over there. Not every piece of public infrastructure needs to be a work of art worthy of a design prize.
>>
>>1451143
>you have to close a street for a few weeks and break the pavement then cover it back up.
That's not how it works fatty
>>
>>1451143
>In Europe whenever work needs to be carried out on the power network you have to close a street for a few weeks and break the pavement then cover it back up
No, not really
>>
>>1451143
It's reasonable for the Japanese to have overhead power cables considering they average 1000 Earthquakes a year. Underground power cable management is as good as impossible in Japan.

In the US it should be the opposite. Earthquakes are relatively rare but hurricanes,tornados and other hazards are common. So underground power cables would actually make more sense in the US than many other places in the world yet they still have overhead shit power.
>>
>>1451148

How is it then?
>>
>>1451389
>Earthquakes are rare in the US
>>
<---- /electricalgrids/

This is a travel board, talk about travel here.
>>
>>1441467
>People just suddenly talk to you while you are in public.
american here
what the fuck planet are you living on?
>>
>>1441488
>that actually have a job and are still struggling to get their shit together
dont be fooled. 90% of the time its their own poor financial decisions that brought them there.
>>
>>1448845
i think hes just saying that american suburbs have stupidly low crime rate.
>>
>>1443753
nationalistic shitflinging from /int/ and /pol/ has killed this board.
>>
>>1450618
nigga what? all US houses have insulation, even if theyre in areas that dont need it.
>>
>>1451410
Maybe if you buried them, you wouldn't have to repair them so much. They do the job well once, they don't have to touch it again for decades.

Also do you always break your pavement when there are issues in the sewer or what? Or your shit floats on the street, too?
>>
>>1451920
lol where?
do you mean the thin layer of glass wool or what?
those layers don't get you anywhere, it's a joke.
>>
>>1451930
confirmed for not into construction
>>
>>1449346
Not true, this is lobbying, and corporatism stealing our voice in politics, for the sake of taxes, to benefit themselves.

Its why im trying to leave. We act nice, its fake, were cut throat. We feign interest, because of guilt of wealth. I dont require much, and I respect that on a basic level, most euros take care of their peoples basic what I feel are human rights, that aren't respected here. Id do it even if it meant higher taxes than we have now that could be used for it, but instead are wasted. I dont need a new everything, all the fucking time.
>>
>>1449596
you can be thrown out for whatever reason they want. However, I doubt this was true.
>>
>>1450054
thats the only real, authentic food and culture we have. Southern. And its delicious as shit. I love all the varied barbecue.
>>
>>1451903
what planet are you living on..

well actually, what city/state are you in might explain this. its pretty true for a lot of the America Ive experienced.
>>
>>1451933
i'm pretty sure i know much more about construction, architecture, materials than you do. you don't have a single argument.
>>
>>1452130
Says the anon that finds a pic of power lines suspended in the air in Bangkok, puts Paris in the file name, and uses it as an argument. You are null and void.
>>
>>1452534
cute try, but you're confusing me with someone, and you still have no arguments pro the usa way of building homes, because physics and engineering are fully against you.
>>
>>1452553
>you still have no arguments pro the usa way of building homes, because physics and engineering are fully against you

Nice word-salad there. Stop hitting the sauce before posting.
>>
troll harder

have you ever heard of wood? brick? concrete? iron? gypsum?
if i talked about thermal conductivity, you'd think i'm swearing.
>>
File: trump-schools[1].jpg (90 KB, 618x410)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1452702
>thermal conductivity
>i believe these are somehow complicated words

No fatty. Have some more of that americaneducation.jpg with your sauce.
>>
>>1446360
I call bullshit. I was in the Czech republic for 3 months and just spent the last week in rural Romania. Veggies were a far bigger part of meals than where I'm from on the west coast.
>>
>>1441852
150 crowns is about 5 beers at a non dive bar. Consider that a standard beer there is .5 liters and 10%alcohol compared to .47 liters at 5% if you're lucky in the states. Basically what I'm getting at is that while having a couple beers with your friends after work everyday at a bar in the US can quickly end up costing you quite a lot at about 4$ each for less beer that is half as strong, in the Czech republic it is a non issue, like getting a cup of coffee at the gas station or a bottle of water.
>>
>>1452843
That’s literally just over one hours pay if I remember what the girl told me. I think minimum wage is like 130ck right? So you can drink every night with friends and it’s barely impacts your wages. Going out for 5 beers at a non dive,is a few hours of a pay for an American. So I doubt what

>>1441852

Really has a huge impact.
>>
>>1452744
dudebro doesn't even notice i was dissing amerifats jfc
>>
>>1453009
Poe's law
>>
>>1453006
That's my point, drinking in the Czech republic isn't a one way ticket to poverty like in the US. And the beer isn't shit.
>>
>>1449973
>US
>"Food"
Don't call it food. Food expires
>>
>>1453320
What's the Czech healthcare system like, though? The Nordic countries really look after alcoholics very well, for example. There's lots of medical knowledge about how to treat illnesses that effect the low-level alcoholics, like the people who drink a six pack every night but still maintain a pretty regular life.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.