[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest - Submit Designs Here

I’ve just been offered a move within my company to New York from London,( originally from Australia). I have Also been offered a position in San Antonio Texas. Are there any Americans here who can give me a run down on Texas, whether there will be loads to do, is it easy to travel between the cities? I’m leaning towards SA at the moment as I’m thinking New York will be very similar to London. Are there cheap flights available internally in USA similar to easyJet / Ryanair. Would like to see a bit of the country whilst over there.
>>
>>1446536
Whats the differences in salary? That would help me answer the question.
>>
>>1446556
$130k in New York and $115k in San Antonio
>>
>>1446564
You'll prolly save 20k$ a year in housing alone, so if money is a motivator then SA
>>
>>1446556
San Antonio in a heartbeat. You will have so much extra money to go anywhere else you'd like and not be constrained. Your salary won't stretch nearly as far in New York and will leave you with less for other things. Theres tons to do in either, and the surrounding states of either. Id choose the place with more money in my pocket, more sunshine, and women who are going to eat your accent up.
>>
>>1446573
Not only that, the 20k he saves, what he spends in SA will get him much more location and apartment/home for his money.
>>
son of a bitch
this response >>1446574
was for >>1446564
>>
Honestly yea. San Antonio, but honestly man if you’re down for a wide city with a small town feel. There’s really not a lot of things to do other than New York.
>>
>>1446573
Yeah that’s why the package is 15k more for NY due to cost of living but I assume generally S.A. will be cheaper so I should be able to save a big chunk. Will need a car in Texas tho which is another expense.
>>
>>1446579
I read it’s the 6th most populous city? Is it spread out over a long distance?
>>
>>1446582
No you won't theres public transit just like New York. Its not a super small city.
>>
>>1446564
I live in NYC and make similar money. I say Texas. You'd have to buy a car so you would end up driving (potentially) as far as Los Angeles, St. Louis, and Atlanta. Also (I assume) Southwest operates at the airport so you could do cheap trips to much of the country. New York is awesome and you can get to a lot on public transportation between DC and Boston (Maine in summer) but the car will let you really see America and you'd probably end up with more money at the end since Texas real estate is cheap. Save that for a return the housing fiasco in the UK.

...you're going to get fat though.
>>
San Antonio > NYC

Reasons:
Cheaper cost of living (which will even out the salary difference here: >>1446564)
No state income tax in Texas
Warmer weather
As far as things to do, San Antonio is like a mini Orlando, as it has several major amusement parks (Six Flags, SeaWorld, and the flagship location of Schlitterbahn, the best waterpark in the US outside Florida)
...and of course, it's less crowded

BTW, this is common knowledge to any American, but not immediately obvious to non-Americans: you will need a full-time car of your own to get everywhere.

At any rate, SA is the one I would pick if I was in the same situation. NYC is an interesting place to visit, but not to live.
>>
>>1446564
120k is the minimum to live a decent life in NYC, so I'd go with NYC. Better city with more to do.

Count yourself lucky. I'd love to be able to move out to NYC and make that kinda money but i'm stuck in the Midwest making 80k/yr
>>
>>1446564
san antonio by far

you will probably just barely break even in new york
>>
>>1446583
Most inland urban areas in the US are very spread out with the urban core, followed by a ring of semi-dense suburbs, then outskirts. From my own experience moving more than two dozen times in my life, and if you plan to stay long-term or indefinitely, is to live in the space where the suburbs and outskirts meet. This is to maximize the amount of time that your neighborhood will stay good before urban sprawl overtakes it.

>>1446587
>theres public transit just like New York
Yeah, but the drawback of most US mass transit is that the vast majority of the people that use it do so because they HAVE to, not because they choose to. Plus, if you want to have complete freedom of movement, having your own car is a must.
>>
>>1446666
>I'd love to be able to move out to NYC and make that kinda money but i'm stuck in the Midwest making 80k/yr

You're not exactly wrong; if you're single, yeah, but what happens when you decide to start a family with little mini versions of yourself? Densely populated cities are not the best choice for that, unless you don't mind spending a small fortune sending them to private school.
>>
>>1446661
>As far as things to do, San Antonio is like a mini Orlando

Good post but this part made me crack up.
>>
File: least-attractive.png (120 KB, 674x778)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>1446536
As someone who's actually lived there (worked at USAA HQ), San Antonio kind of sucks. I could see if this was a choice between NYC (where I grew up) and Dallas, Houston or even Austin but San Antonio is not a great place to be unless you're married Texan boomer trying to raise a family. Lets just look at some of the points addressed ITT
>SA Women
Charles Barkley is right, the women are fat as shit. Plus the city has been BEANED like crazy so the average woman is pretty a chubby chola. I'm sure I'll get some (you)s from some livid Texans but the reality is that San Antonio is not a city that the average hot young single chick aspires to be in. In contrast, NYC has loads of beautiful women. The dating scenes aren't even in the same universe in terms of choice or quality.
>Money
Again, fuck what anyone else is claiming, 130k in NYC is fine unless you're raising a family (and even then it's fine). I'm back in NYC now and I have friends getting by on 1/3rd of that. As long as you don't come here and try to spend like you're a sitcom character you should be able to save money, especially if you move to Newark or an outer borough.
>Activities
I'm not even going to talk about all the shit you could do in NYC since that's obvious. As I said earlier though, SA is boring as fuck. The only real edge it has over NYC is outdoor activities but even in that regard it's not great. Other places I've spent time in (Denver, Seattle, SF) have a far deeper outdoor culture with easier access to national parks.In SA, You're gonna need to learn to love BBQ, shooting and the Spurs.
>>1446582
>Will need a car
You will. It's not a pedestrian friendly city at all.
>>1446583
Maybe, but that's misleading. It's only the 24rd largest metro area and it's not part of any larger CSA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas
It feels small. Speaking from personal experience, similarly sized cities like Miami and Philly feel comparatively massive.
>>
>>1446736
>the most attractive women
>philadelphia
I am clearly living in the wrong part of philly then
>>
>>1446736
Thanks mate for the summary this has confirmed what I was thinking, SA will be boring, what about Austin? Could you drive there for the weekends, I remember I met a group of hot Texans at Oktoberfest last year that were from a university in Austin. I think in summary if I want to have a better all around time but have not much money move to NY. If I want to make bank and save some precious US$ move to SA. The position would only be for two years, so it wouldn’t be permanent.
>>
>>1446605
Haha why fat? Portion sizes and unhealthy food? Thanks for the tips. I think S.A. could be the way to go if I can travel on weekends. Base myself in SA and make bank.
>>
>>1446564
taxes you'll be netting more in texas
>>
>>1446809
Not >>1446736

SA is a 2 hour drive away from Austin.

University of Texas is in Austin, as well as a couple of small schools. They were just hot, because they were college girls. You'll find plenty of young snatch in NYC too. I've been to Austin a couple times, and I didn't care for it. It's turned into a tech hellhole.

I went to san antonio, and thought it was pretty grimy. Aside from the attractions (which are 30 min+ drive from the city center) and the Riverwalk (which was still grimy), there was nothing interesting about it.

You'd probably save money on transportation living in NYC, factoring in car insurance, gas, and maintainence. Living cost will be higher tho.

I think you'd have way more fun in NYC. If you're from London, you're gonna think SA is boring.

>>1446810
Traveling on the weekends... man. You'll waste an entire day just traveling. That leaves the 24 hours of time you can spend in your destination (probably NYC). Hooray.

To put this into perspective, you'd probably be able to fly to London cheaper, and easier from NYC, and maybe even shorter, or comparable amount of time, than you would to a lot of US destinations from San Antonio.

All in all, You'd probably be able to get more out of NYC, professionally, socially, experiences, all of that.

You'll find it much easier to find like minded people to socialize with. The pool of women is much larger, and a lot of them are there just to travel, and want to just have "fun." You couldn't say that about San Antonio. You'll probably cycle through all of the girls on Tinder in 6 weeks.

If you want an Authentic USA experience, San Antonio might do it for you.
>>
I was speaking more of cheap flights, I do this a lot here in London, take a Friday off and fly to Spain, France, Germany etc. Thanks for the advice tho, starting to lean towards NY
>>
>>1446536
Go to NYC, no contest.
>t.native yewnorker
>>
Grew up in San Antonio and lived in New York for a little bit. Go for New York if you're young, 130k is more than enough to live there. Go for San Antonio if you're really trying to save money, or if you prefer a more relaxed pace of life. It's not that terrible of a place, there are actually some beautiful and interesting spots in the city and around the area that aren't stupid theme parks or the gay river walk and Alamo tourist traps. But yeah, the social scene is pretty shit if you're in your 20s. I'm 22 and I plan on sticking to the East Coast for the foreseeable future after going to college up here.

>>1446736
>plus the city has been BEANED like crazy

Retarded because South Texas was never a white area to begin with.
>>
>>1446932
Oh, also it depends how temporary the position is, and what your motives are. If you're actually trying to experience America definitely go for San Antonio. I just wouldn't suggest being stuck there for years.
>>
>>1446936
They’re both two year contracts, to be honest I could probably just move to New York or San Francisco after the two years
>>
File: TX-HillCountry.gif (347 KB, 1102x1471)
347 KB
347 KB GIF
>>1446536
I haven't driven in New York but I'd imagine its a pain in the ass like SA. The whole fucking city is a loop. Other than that I enjoyed the city while I was there for 68W AIT. Even if you don't drink there's always something to do. Also the south is awesome if you don't mind a little traveling. You could visit Austin, Dallas, Houston and even visit Baton Rouge, or New Orleans if you don't mind a little longer of a drive. Make sure you stop by the San Antonio Museum of Art (not the McNay) to see a sand mandala they have. Normally they are destroyed after production its rare to see one complete still.
>>
San Antonio is the better choice based off price alone. 130k in NY will not get you very far and once you factor in family (if you want one) it will not be good.

Pick a place on the North/Northwest side of SA outside the main city. It’s better.
>>
>>1447071
OP don't listen to this retard, SA outside of the main city is mostly boring suburban wasteland with a handful of good restaurants and parks. I would try to live in the neighborhoods just to the north of downtown, by San Antonio College. you can actually walk/bike places and there will be younger people living around you. Anyone who says it's dangerous is just a pussy, the areas around downtown have been gentrifying like crazy.
>>
>>1446564
115 in san antonio is a much higher salary than 130 in new york.
>>
>>1447036
>I haven't driven in New York but I'd imagine its a pain in the ass like SA
it's much, much worse. and in new york there isn't anywhere to park when you finally arrive
>>
>>1446564
I recently relocated from San Francisco to Texas (Houston), and my take home pay went up ~$500 every two weeks just because I don't pay state taxes any more. After spending 8 years in that overpriced hyper liberal shithole, I genuinely wish I could have about 6 of them back. My life would be completely different.
>>
>>1447071
tell that to my mother who raised me in NYC by herself on 30k a year.
always had food and shelter.
>>
>>1447250
Yeah, with ample government assistance, no offense intended.

The only people living in NYC on 30-40k are natives with social housing/SNAP or 23 year olds working as a 'marketing analyst' getting their housing paid for by papa
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 563x563)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Hey I'll be moving to San Antonio soon also. I'm from there originally, moving from Nebraska. If you need a friend, and so do I, give me an email. No homo, I'm married with kids. Maybe I'll kill myself also.
>>
>>1446536
Listen to me OP, if you are used to big cities and want to continue living in a "big city" kind of place, San Antonio is NOT right for you. Regardless of whatever money you will save, I can almost guarantee you that coming from London, you will find SA to be incredibly boring. American cities are very spread out, and mostly suburban with a smaller city center. You will be driving EVERYWHERE. Even if SA has a relatively large population, everyone lives in the suburbs.
>>
You're fucked if you can't drive in Texas
>>
>>1448254
>making assumptions
lmao d00d, we did not have food stamps.
granted this was in the early to late 90s so adjusted for inflation
she was making about 40-45k which is definitely liveable for 2 people in NYC.
>>
San Antonio is more layed back feel from the south and is way cheaper.
New York is a complete fast life shit hole with traffic everywhere.

130k is middle class in New York
130k in San Antonio is consired somewhat upper middle class

you need a car in San Antonio
New York you wont need a car.

Pick?
>>
>>1446564
Idk about NYC but I make 75k in San Antonio and live like a king. I'm a 15 minute walk away from my work, 10 minute drive to the closest gym though. San Antonio traffic isn't too bad compared to the other Texan cities like Austin or Houston. Worst part is all the Mexican wannabes but they can easily be avoided. I recommend places like the Pearl, go downtown, go to stone oak area, eat a lot of food. It's real nice in this city.
>>
>>1446574
Like Anon said, A plus is that travel from San Antonio to other places is considerably cheaper imo.

San Antonio has the Amtrak Station, Greyhound and Megabus Hubs. I have gotten NonStop Flights to Los Angeles and Chicago at a reasonable rate.

If driving for travel isn’t an option, you can take the Greyhound Express to Austin for less than $10. Megabus is even cheaper.
>>
SA is much cheaper.

Depending on where you live youre going to lose 24-50k on rent alone if its NYC. However obviously NYC is NYC
>>
>>1447036
Nice, I too was at Fort Sam for AIT. I'm from NY but had a good time in SA as an 18 year old. SA itself was relatively small but the weather was nice and the people were friendly.
>>
>>1446829
You’re gonna find so many fucking annoying feminists in NY it’s not even funny. That’s the difference in a southern University vs Northern one. The hot girls are much more about your accent in the south too. You’re prevalent in NY , not SA. 2 hour drive is nothing.

OP I think he raises good points. But doesn’t know much about SA and surrounding areas to say it’d be easier to go to London. It is not only cheaper, it is faster to go to any party destination from TX than NY. Want to go to LA? Quick flight. Norleans? Quick flight. Vegas? Quick flight. Miami? Quick flight.

In SA you could love cheaply and save much more than living cheaply in NY. SA has plenty to do, just like Tx. Then go to anywhere in the US much easier to really explore. NYC is great. Don’t get me wrong. But I think the allure will wear off.. whereas, your accent, isn’t going to wear off anywhere down south and you’ll always be the center of attention. Pick where you’ll be special, because you’ll have fun anywhere if you’re not a dunce.

My vote is still on SA.
>>
>>1451180
yeah OP 75k in NYC is basically living in squalor. Your dollar will go twice as far in TX, just need a car
>>
>>1453003
Sounds like SA will be the winner, looking for something different regardless and NYC and London seem pretty similar.
>>
>>1453520
They are. It will be a very different experience. And more bountiful to see more of the country from where you are. Go check out Austin, houston and Dallas and shit when you want to get away, but not fly anywhere.

I just think being able to:
-save more
-see more
-be center of attention more
-fuck more
-ball more
-live better

Beats the allure of New York that will wear off when you realize you could have been doing all of the rest of my list much more in SA. I personally don’t think you’ll need a car, and if anything, the lease on a good care.. is the same as airfare going away somewhere new every weekend. Not to mention gas and insurance. But that’s just me. After living in cities I don’t want a car.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.