[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_20180506_115559.jpg (1.29 MB, 3968x2976)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
comiket week edition

Post about
>Your favorite Japanese drinks, bars, and degenerate drinking activities
>Getting drunk with salarymen
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese. What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/
Note that most of these companies are owned by the same group so behave.

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Previous thread: archived
>>
I got back from my trip to Japan like a week ago and it was fun, but disappointing. I wanted to make friends and be social, and I did get kind of social towards the end and got a date from a language meetup, but I want more next time. I hear stories about people befriending random businessmen and hooking up with random chicks on the street and crazy stuff. How do I get into that? Are these people lying? How to I make my trip more interesting next time? Language meetups are fun but they kind of feel like cheating. I also want to have sex with a non prostitute next time too. How do you guys do it?
>>
You need to chat up English teachers and befriend them. They have all the hanger on gaijin craving puss
>>
>>1448568
Where do I find English teachers?
>>
>>1448566
>How do I get into that
Be willing to drink, know some basic japanese, be well groomed (shower shaved, not horridly overweight) and looking to be open to talk.

>Are these people lying?
No, but you can't be an introvert. I've shared beers with random people outside lawsons just chilling and talking about the town area and other shit. If you don't drink, you're basically blowing the chance of getting these types of situations. I don't mean get blasted drunk, but 1 or 2 beers shows you are more open to people. Google and go on yelp as well for bars and locations to visit. Taito is pretty good for it, ginza as well. You just need to be willing to walk into a random bar or place and take whatever is thrown your way. I've met people also while just walking around. Good advice, don't do the ultra tourist places to meet more japanese to hang with. trying to just go around kyoto downtown district and pick find people will be harder than say in a smaller town in Hida where tourists are more rare.

>>1448569
Like most, a bar is the best way to start. Met way too many there who are just pissed about their day of telling someone "no that's not right" only to have them perform the exact same mistakes 10 times in a row.
>>
>>1448572
>Be willing to drink, know some basic japanese, be well groomed (shower shaved, not horridly overweight) and looking to be open to talk.
Not him, but what are some good bar etiquette?
Me and my buddy are pretty heavy drinkers, but we don't wanna act like a bunch of drunk retards.
>>
File: a0898058907_10.jpg (361 KB, 1200x1200)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
Reposting my maximum-autist Japan sights/restaurants map since people seemed to like it. Might as well let others make use of it considering I have like 10 vacations worth of shit on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1fmfaySQHmojbRGKWCwRecq6Ln1Bb2Xdh&ll=35.67928012473078%2C139.68638283648374&z=12
>>
>>1448572
>Be willing to drink, know some basic japanese, be well groomed (shower shaved, not horridly overweight) and looking to be open to talk
Got that down pretty good
>You just need to be willing to walk into a random bar or place and take whatever is thrown your way
This is the challenging part. All the bars I saw seemed like all the people already knew each other or seemed exclusive or something. I also had my friend with me a lot of the time. Is it better to be alone to meet new people? I'm pretty young, and socially underdeveloped, so I'm trying to work on it back here at home so I'll do better next time in Japan.
>>
>>1448575
>keep voice level down
>don't assume they know english
>don't dick on your phone all the time if you want to be talked to
>be willing to share some photos or facebook
>feel free to buy them a beer for instant best friend
>be prepared for the same questions as always "where are you from, what do you do, etc"
>don't talk about anything that can't be considered fun or happy
Ample amount of pregaming will probably work well for you too.
>>
>>1448580
>pregaming

I should do that next time, that's clever
>>
>>1448581
Yeah i usually swing by a 711 or lawsons for some beers, chill out in an area to get a feel for where people are going or what kind of people visit the bars around then go into one.
>>
In Osaka for a night. Anyone want to nanpa, drink, explore?
>>
File: japan.jpg (65 KB, 472x369)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
How badly did I fuck up?
>>
Any good co-working spaces or something near Shinjuku/Shibuya?

All I really need is a powerplug and decent wifi
>>
>friend went to Shinjuku alone
>warned him about the nigerians over and over again
>got drunk because surprised at how cheap liquor was in golden gai compared to his home country
>black dude flagged him down at some point in the night
>taken in for 30k yen or so to get a girl with "5 free drink tickets!"
>got sold some shit as well blowing more of his money for sex somehow
>has basically no money for the rest of the 10 days he is here
>has to load up on his hotels buffet in the morning for food
>left with about 1500-2000 yen per day, living off lawson meals, train tickets, and beer

Never fall for the shinjuku nigerians fellas
>>
>>1448652
what do you mean like an actual office space area or apartment to work out of? Gaijin pot has the latter
>>
>>1448654
I'm staying at my gf's house but I would like to get out during the day to get some work done. Only for one week tho
>>
Anyone have any experience with the Tokyo Pub Crawl? Is it going to be as cringe as I think it is, or will I meet some qt3.14s this Friday?
>>
>>1448663
Golden Gai
>>
>>1448596
After you write down specific locations in every city, it will be clearer if you are spending to much time somewhere or not enough. currently saying oct16 kanazawa-tokyo doesnt mean a thing.
Do you actually spend the day in kanazawa or tokyo? because the train ride is not more than a few hours.
>>
>>1448653
Honestly I imagine he would have found another way to blow money if not for the Nigerians. some people just have no self control.
>>
File: GLWhY0t_d.jpg (8 KB, 366x492)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>tfw sandwiched between two office ladies on the subway trying desperately not to get a boner
Never been that close to a woman ever
>>
/p/ here any chance you could pick up camera gear for cheap?
>>
>>1448730
Probably if you don't pay tax on it
>>
>>1448730
I got a used 24-105 Canon Lens for around 30% less than at home. The yen exchange rate and tax free shopping helps
>>
>>1448735
Where did you buy it?
>>
>>1448739
some second hand store in Shinjuku

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/05/the-complete-tokyo-camera-shopping-guide/

there's a guide on used camera stores around Tokyo
>>
>>1448741
Cool thanks will read it now.
>>
>>1448663
That depends. Did shinjuku pub crawl at the beginni g of July. My guide was qt jap girl and I was the only one. She showed me 1 place in memory line amd 2 in Ebisu. Tour was gonna end at 9pm but we were drinking and chatting till midnight. So I recommend it.
>>
>>1448652
Just go starbucks
>>
>>1448730
Try the second hand store in Shibuya, everything is as good as new, and the prices are very low.
Generally second hand things in Japan I found to be in very high condition, the you get a great bargain for it since its not new from the box.

Bought a camera body for 30k yen roughly 300$ with a little smudge on the sensor which probably made the previous owner part ways with the camera not knowing you can easily clean it. Bought it, cleaned it. new camera for 300 dollar which otherwise would have costed me around 1200$
>>
Could anyone recommend a solid Ryokan in Hakone? Staying there for 1 night during blossom season.
>>
>>1448763
oh sorry I forgot to add: Please don't suggest the starbucks at shibuya crossing.
>>
>>1448670
Will I be able to join the Yakuza in Kabukicho? I’ve played all the Yakuza games and am willing to get a tattoo if it comes to it
>>
File: IMG-20180721-WA0010.jpg (296 KB, 1600x900)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>1448795
>relevent
>>
>>1448813
that reply is not only not funny, it's also embarrassing that you actually took a photo of it instead of screenshoting it

kys my man
>>
File: 1267082445239.jpg (113 KB, 960x540)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1448677
>Do you actually spend the day in kanazawa or tokyo? because the train ride is not more than a few hours.

Kanazawa, the idea is probably to stay there until the attractions close up at 5-6 or so.

Pretty much the only day I really don't have much of a sense of what my itinerary would be is between Osaka and Kanazawa. I hear so many different and conflicting opinions on how many days it makes sense to visit Kyoto that I don't think I'll have any idea whether or not I'll want to use that day to revisit it or visit Osaka in the daytime or daytrip a completely different city or what until I've already visited Kyoto and gotten a direct sense of how much time I want to spend there.
>>
>>1448815
Not only is it funny the absurdity of it is heightened by the fact that he took it with a phone camera.
>>
>>1448815
>why didn't you give a serious response to my retarded question reeeeee
>>
>>1448785
>new camera for 300 dollar which otherwise would have costed me around 1200$

More like, camera body with a ton of shutter actuations on it for $300.
>>
I will absolutely never understand the people who want to go to Japan to bone Japanese chicks. Most of them aren't very hot, their teeth are all over the place, and they sound like a child that's getting raped when you're having sex with them. It's not great.

In about a week's trip I just took home European girls from the clubs, way more fun, and a lot cuter. Easier than in Europe which is already easymode: they're not there to go home with an Asian guy anyway.
>>
File: 1524908018567.jpg (236 KB, 1300x1000)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
I was planning on going back during the end of October but i've been hit in the face with a pretty horrific money issue so i've had to delay it till Feburary it seems. Unless i'm magically able to get back all the money i'm due in the next few days.

What is Tokyo like during Feburary? Worth going?
>>
>>1448999
Itll certainly be cheaper as far as hotels/flights go and (relatively) less crowded with tourists. Depending on how late in February you go you might be there during plum blossom season.
>>
>>1448826
as I've said, do a destination list in every city, this way it will be easier to see if you are spending too much time anywhere. Kyoto has a lot of tourist destinations where you can practically spend there a week and still not see everything. On the other hand, Osaka you can pretty much do in a day.
The other way to see it, is that Osaka is where the nightlife is at, so you want to end your day in Osaka where you can go out to bars and clubs, where in Kyoto its a lot more tame.

As you saw you can pretty much see everything from 10 different perspectives that why the only person who can actually tell you what is worth while or not is you.
Research things you want to do in every city you are hitting in your trip, and compile a list of things, after that it will be a lot clearer as to what your trip will look like. Saying "I am 5 days here and 2 days there is it ok?" Doesnt mean anything without knowing what stuff you want to do. For all I know you might enjoy spending an entire week sitting in a 5 star hotel and jerking off.

>>1448815
>Being this new in /trv/
>Not knowing humor even if it stabbed you in your eye.
Anon I got some bad news for you.
>>
>>1448964
>shutter actuations
still got 2/3 time expectancy, which is fair for me paying a 1/4 of the price.
Like I said sensor had a smudge on it, I assume the old japanese fart decided it was broken and sold it to the shop, where they sold it with profit to me.
After a bit of cleaning and maintenance, shot like a new one for a few years still of heavy use.
>>
>>1449005
>The other way to see it, is that Osaka is where the nightlife is at, so you want to end your day in Osaka where you can go out to bars and clubs, where in Kyoto its a lot more tame.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. Believe me I've done the research, I'm the author of this monstrosity >>1448576.
>>
>>1448966
Coming to /Japan general/ to write this.
>Implying everyone has the same taste.
>Implying you can actually pick up girls with this attitude.
>Implying anyone gives a shit about your opinion.

Go back to /soc/ and look for fat desperate Americans.
>>
>>1448999
Hold off another month and go mid-end of march.
Sakura season is pretty chill.
>>
File: 1531893088568.jpg (151 KB, 600x716)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>1449012
Ahh cool, I got some restaurant ideas from there.
Honestly I saw people over complicate trips way too much with pre-planing, and then getting frustrated when the littlest thing doesnt go according to plan. As long as you dont decide where and when you will take a shit its chill. Last time I just made a list of general "Hot spots" of things to see, and ordered them according to their proximity from each other. Ended up with blobs of places that were pretty much already dictating the amount of days I spend doing everything.

Something along the lines of Kyoto:
day1: golden pavilion, Arashitama
day2: philosophers path, maruyama park, Higashiyama district.
etc..

Can recommend doing that especially if you already have a really intense mapping going on. Blob of things on the map=1 Day. Count how many blobs in every city and do that. If you find something too far from a big blob of things reconsider if it is worth the travel time to go there.
Hope I helped.
>>
What's the best way to get from Haneda to Shinjuku around 18:00? Will I need a JR pass to take the trains there? google maps shows a normal fare of like 700 yen
>>
>>1449031
JR passes aren't needed unless you want to save money for doing long trips on the bullet train or to remote areas of japan. You can get a small Pasmo/Sauica card there and load it up with 1000 yen or something and ride. Day passes on lines are also available
>>
>>1449018
I'm thinking I might just skip the west side of Kyoto entirely. Arashiyama seems nice but it's remote and doesn't have anything I feel I absolutely have to see, and the Golden Pavilion comes off as basically just a photo op since you're just ferried along the same path as everybody else.

I think I'll be able to get substantially cheaper flights to Japan by next year so making return visits should become a lot easier anyway.
>>
I bought my ticket for next month, but something came up and now I'll probably have like 600-1000$ for an entire month. How fucked am I?
I'm going with a friend, so me and him will be splitting room cost.
>>
>>1449047
If 1000 for everything and needed airbnb costs you may have a tough time. Airbnb prices are still kind of high due to the licensing thing popping up. You'd def want to stay somewhere cheaper. You're looking at 20-30 dollars a day. Definitely look for cheap meals at lawsons/711. I've lived about 2 weeks off of just doing some 400 yen meal for lunch(usually chicken and rice or mixed noodles + meat), and a discounted meal or two at night; ran me about 1000 yen a day to be well fed.

You're probably going to want to use your feet for most transportation, a day metro pass is like 600 yen, meals probably will run you 1000 yen, museums are about 600 yen. You'll want to use Cheapotokyo for events and such that are free to enjoy some stuff.
>>
Should I go to Japan or Hawaii?
>>
>>1449066
They are pretty different places anon, but japan will be cheaper most likely.

Hawaii might have some cheaperish flights depending when you go, but you'll quickly eat up the costs in a hotel or just by food alone. Japan has some decent becauses and cheaper places to stay, and a bit more to see depending on what you are looking for
>>
>>1449066
If you need to ask, then Hawaii
>>
>>1449057
Scratch that.
I forgot that because of the way you get paid while on vacation, I get my vacation money before I even take the vacation while also getting a normal paycheck and since I'm getting 4 weeks off, I get 4 weeks worth of checks added and even still get paid while on vacation, so I should have around 2.5k.
Only downside is that I don't get paid for 4 weeks after I am back.
>>
>>1449015
>>Implying you can actually pick up girls with this attitude.

I got laid every night I went out in Tokyo with this attitude, so yeah, I'd say it's fine.

>Implying anyone gives a shit about your opinion.

It's not an opinion, Japanese chicks sound like a dog chew toy when you fuck them, that's just a fact.
>>
>>1449069
>Only downside is that I don't get paid for 4 weeks after I am back.

What messed up company do you work for? Most company off time works literally like as if you were there, then returning it shouldn't have any lapse in pay.
>>
>>1449067
I was told that Hawaii was Japan 2.0 because of all the Japanese Tourists.
>>
>>1449073
Hawaii has a lot of asian tourists, but it's not comparable to Japan. It's a tourist resort state, Tokyo is a huge tourist hub but the main economy is not based around tourism.
>>
>>1449072
UPS
I do fuck all, but I get paid somewhat well.
>>
>>1449070
>Flexing this hard on the internet...
Dude take your low level bait to some other board please.
you dont even worth the captcha
>>
>>1449066
what kind of culture are you looking for? Hawaii is basically a tourist economy that is very americanized, but beautiful. expect disneyland levels of fake "hawaiian" culture for old people with retirement money to take photos of for facebook.

if you want a hawaii-esque experience with actual interesting culture, just go to Okinawa, maybe in a larger Japan trip.
>>
>>1448966
Wanting to date Japanese girls I get even less. The whole amicable cuteness thing is just an act, they genuinely think that couples no longer should have sex after kids, but still manage to cheat all the time.
>>
It's that time of year again.

Atomic bombings: were they justified or not lads?
>>
>>1449016
Not >>1448999
But I heard that sakura season is extremely crowded, is it still better than late february and early march?
>>
>>1449109
Yep. They were teaching schoolkids to run under tanks with explosives to protect the god-emperor in preparation of the mainland invasion. It would have been Vietnam times ten trying to conqueror Japan conventionally, plus the Soviets getting a chunk of the country undoubtedly would have created another Vietnam/Korea satellite conflict decades down the road. All of which means exponentially more dead Japanese than what was produced by the nukes.
>>
File: 1520516719109.jpg (324 KB, 1080x1069)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
I'm tired about Tokyo, yokohama, kamakura, nara, osaka, kyoto, fuji, hiroshima... the typical places.

What do you do/visit when you reach this point? Thinking about renting a car and just drive, or rent a good hotel in a comfy place and shitpost, but I dont know.

>hurrdurr time to visit other countries retard
I just came from thailand and I spent two weeks drinking and wasting my money in whores. The temples were shit the weather was shit, the traffic was shit and im waiting my blood test to know if im clean. I dont know guys, I just like japan to spend my holidays.
>>
>>1449117
Depends on what you're interested in? Literally only one of the places you listed is on the sea of japan side of the country, and all of them are on the main island. There's a fuckload more options beyond the tonyo/hiroshima tourist strip, and the people living in those areas are going to be way more appreciative of tourist dollars too.
>>
>>1449114
Cant give you a clear answer here, it really depends. True that all the super touristy places are going to be more crowded, and finding a decent hotel will cost you more, but this is only true if you are on your first trip and only doing the iconic things. getting a bit out of the way and it is really chill. Most tourist that come during Sakura season from what I managed to figure out are either group with a set plan that just hit major tourist attractions, or older couples which again probably stay in the safe area of what they know.
If you are wanting to go to bars and clubs its really unnoticeable, or if you are going to the less known tourist spots it is also really bearable.

Long story short: If you are going first time to Japan and plan to hit major tourist attractions, it will be crowded but never unbearably so(To me at least) unless you doing some stupid shit like tokyo sky tree.
If you are going a second time to japan and already saw or just not interested in landmarks and want to experience nightlife/rural regions/less busy parts of town. you will be alright.
Keep in mind Tokyo has a really high population density, so for a small town European, even going off season will seem crowded. You just have to decide for yourself if seeing the Sakura bloom is worth it for you(especially in terms of money wise)
Hope this could have been of help anon.
>>
>>1449117
>I'm tired about Tokyo, yokohama, kamakura, nara, osaka, kyoto, fuji, hiroshima... the typical places.
Then go to other places??
Japan is huge in terms of populated areas.
As another anon said depends on what you like.
Hit the rural area and chill there in a small town vibe,get to know the locals and enjoy long afternoons doing nothing if thats your thing.
Alternatively you can go north find some ski resort or something and ski/chill in the cold weather if that your thing.
You could also find a hotel resort on one of the many southern island and enjoy luxurious time in a hotel near the beach if thats your thing.
Hope you catch the theme of this, Do whatever is you thing to do. Some people like X others like Y
>>
>>1448576
ahh, this is great. makes me want to go back so badly. flights seems to be a bit more expensive now than they were two years ago, so I'm not sure when that'll happen again...thank you for this, though. I'm seeing some things I totally missed out on. Apparently I was very close to an onsen when I was staying in Taito: Sento Misuji-yu. That place looks awesome
>>
>>1449117
Why did you make your Thailand holiday based around drink and whores? Is that what you base your Japan holidays around too? You may not have made the most of your trip there, who knows...
Besides there are a lot of other SE countries out there.

Would you have rathered the 41 degree heat that Japan has been getting this summer?

Yeah sorry man the answer to your question if it were me would be to visit other countries. Who knows how boring it could be if you don't find any interesting places.
>>
>>1449134
>Why did you make your Thailand holiday based around drink and whores?
Because I made the mistake to go there with friends.
>Would you have rathered the 41 degree heat
I went one week to tokyo this july.Still better than the rain season in thailand.

>>1449132
>As another anon said depends on what you like. Hit the rural area
I like driving and mountains. So probably go from a small town to another for a few weeks to end in a big city in the south sounds good to me. any recommendation? im lost about non tuourist rural japan.
>>
>>1449141
>I like driving and mountains
Just pick up rental and drive in the alps area north from Nagano, other than that just feel the flow when you are there.
>>
>>1449117
My fun with Japan went up considerably when I started avoiding major cities. Taking the hida express and doing stops along the way to joestu, Takayama has to be one of my favorite cities to go to. Stay away from the Tokyo/Osaka train route and the amount of enjoyment goes up considerably.
>>
>>1448566
>I hear stories about people befriending random businessmen and hooking up with random chicks on the street and crazy stuff. How do I get into that? Are these people lying?
I befriended businessmen in a literal lucky chance encounter. We were just strolling through random back alleys in Ryogoku when it happened, so you can't plan this type of shit.
>>
>>1449069
1500 is enough to be able to do things 1000 is just cutting it close. I stretched 2000 over a month lived really well. Basically did 20/night hostels, I had a little over 5k yen per day in speding due to exchange rates at the time. It was more than enough for good food, daily metro pass, and some shows/events; even managed to drink decently a few nights.

More or less broke down my 5,000 yen a day
>2000 for food, snacks, and 2-3 beers
2 bowls of ramen lunch/supper 1400, coffee in the am 100 yen, a few late beers from 711 500 for 2-3 depending what you get
>600 for metro
JR is 800 per day? Metro still gets you all over town just a few more stops unlike JR
>Museums, iconic sites,
600 is the average going rate for a museum, Tokyo Tower is far cheaper than sky tree, some bus trips can be fairly cheap
>free shit
Gardens, cheapotokyo, japan guide also have events

The 1800 or whatever left over I use as a slush fund for trinkets, or save for the weekend to splurge abit
>>
Anyone have any tips for traveling or being in japan during christmas and new years?

I understand japan isn't the most Christian heavy of places but the holiday is still greatly observed there. Basically wondering what kinds of places will be opened/closed, places to avoid or go see, or other tips. Last thing I want to do is go to Japan only to find out that around christmas my best chances of getting a meal is a hole in the wall bar thay also sells ramen shop or a premade meal at 711, and I have to stay in a hotel because hostels/capsules are booked or closed out.

I was thinking about going to Nagano or Gero for some snow and quiet areas with some hot baths.
>>
Hey guys ill be going too Japan next year in June. We'll be landing in narita and we’ll be staying for two weeks. We plan on goin from narita and moving our way down too Fukuoka too meet up with some friends towards the last couple days of the trips. We want too go to hashima island and suicide forest and temples. Typical tourist stuff but is there any cool hidden away things or spots you guys would recommend on our path along japan? Thanks
>>
Where/how 2 meet women as a whitey? Bars? My Japanese is decent enough and I'm not a smelly neckbeard

Give me any good tips for women so I know what to do when I get there
>>
>>1449241
Read this thread and the last one in the archive, bars are the easiest way to meet people by far. Japanese is nice but not really required if you look decent and are groomed on beard, hair, etc
>>
>>1449242
I was actually wondering about Japanese people knowing English. How many actually speak English and how well? My Japanese is good enough for casual talk but more advanced or detailed topics might throw me around back to English
>>
>>1449250
There are a fair amount of words that are just straight up english that got integrated into society, mostly just adjectives or such. Most all have already taken 4 years of english in highschool; rural areas are a swift kick in the dick if you don't know a good amount of japanese

English in japan is enough that most anyone can carryon a basic small talk conversation but you will get a lot of the same questions and subjects come up constantly. Some will pull out google translate which works near flawlessly.

Top English lines will be
>Where are you from
>What brings you to japan
>What do you want to see
>Do you like it in japan?
>Do you watch anime?
>Do you like <food>

Then it is just a complete toss up after that depending on what their job is, plenty deal with English clients so some other conversations can be in English too. Closer you are into the heart of Tokyo, probably the more english that will be spoken or go around. Same with things closer to train stations or tourist spots.
>>
Hey here’s good news. If you want to see all popular European cities and landmarks at once, just go China.

Fake PARIS made in China
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qVtCnWPWCis

China's Copycat Cities - Amazing Places
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6KgvXFVkL_I
>>
>>1449256
Ah sounds like the rural areas will be fun, sounds like not a lot of foreigners hang around there

Actually have you been to the rural areas much? Only thing that would stop me from going there is maybe racism from the locals. Do they like seeing foreigners there? Or not give a shit?
>>
>>1449260
I've been to quite a few rural areas and small areas of japan. People are nice, the biggest issue with rural areas is there is basically nothing to do during the day. Usually the town is full of older people, while the 55 and undercrowd is probably on a train in the am and shops for the most part not open until 5-530pm only open till 8ish. Racism isn't really a thing or at least I never experienced it, most just happy to have something to do or talk about, but probably not in english what so ever. I actually saw more about the purify japan shit in Tokyo University than most anywhere in japan

Biggest hang up for you will simply be getting in and out of those rural areas, some will have a train stop and like 4 trains a day 1 in the am, one around noon, another around 5 or 6, then one late train maybe after 10PM. So it's very easy to get stuck there, other smaller ones only a JR buss or willer bus.

You're best bet is going to northern japan than southern japan for small towns to hang around, Hida/Gifu is probably the best area to test stuff since Gero, Takayama, and a few other stops provide you something to do with ultra small stops in between. Lida and Chou line also have a bunch of small stops but i can't recall what the cost is for them.
>>
>>1449265
Fukkn nice, thanks man
>>
Anyone going mid November?
>>
>>1448999
I was there last Feb and it was pretty nice. Chilly but not freezing cold, not crowded at all.
>>
File: onsen-nagano.jpg (174 KB, 800x532)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Going to Japan for the first time in october for just under 2 weeks, staying in Tokyo.
In that time, I'm wanting to take at least two day trips, and one overnight trip outside of the city, to smaller comfy towns.
Need advice on good spots.

My three initial location ideas are:
1. Overnight trip in Nagano... stay in a hostel one night there, and wander around, check out some onsens, and wander around Yamanouchi / Jigokudani, see snow monkeys, comfy autumn leaves etc.

2. Day trip through Kamakura, and maybe down to Hakone... wander around check out stuff.

3. Day trip to Mt. Takao, easy short hike to a temple or something there.

How does each of those sound? Are those solid ideas and locations? I'm thinking Nagano for an overnight stay, as I'd really like to see some of rural/traditional/comfy Japan, and it seems like a good spot for that.
If anyone has any better ideas or suggestions I'd love to know!
>>
>>1449295
Nikko also works really well as an overnight stay. Lots of onsen and hiking options if you stay in nearby Lake Chuzenji.

Kamakura is a great daytrip especially if you're not planning to visit Kansai, I wouldn't wedge Hakone together with it unless you also did it as an overnight trip though.
>>
>>1449295
Sounds solid just be mindful of the weather during that time of year. It can flux quite a lot between rain, high temps one day then near freezing the next in the mountains. You'll probably need to get an umbrella or two there
>>
Will Hakuba or another resort on Honshu be open in late November? - Around the 23rd
>>
>>1449267
Just do proper research on where you are going as well anon. I highly recommend making sure smaller towns you visit being on a train line and not relying on buses to get in and out. Few other tips just to reiterate

>understand kanji if for nothing else for food, specifically meats, and things like noodle dish/other
>recommend against a car unless 1 you have a decent amount of money 2 you understand the route and where gas stations are, not all towns have gastations
>some places might not want you eating there, not because ew white piggu, but because they have an expected set of customers who come in and fill them out daily
>when going to rural areas set time enough to get to a larger city for a stop, the licensing for airbnb killed a lot of places, small hotels can basically not know or take non japanese due to language barriers or such
>be prepared for a lot of similar food in these locations
>Again note that many stores aren't open till 5PM or maybe not open until the weekends, I've walked through semi small rural towns that were ghost towns until sunday. Even then shops can be limited to basics like clothing
>private property may not be at all marked, be mindful where you walk or visit
>foot travel is going to be the primary method of getting around unless you manage to find something like a hostel or hotel that does bike rentals
>expect to be asked if you are lost a lot
>google on trip advisor, the town's name.co.jp, and on google maps for things to do inbetween waiting for the next train out

Rural areas are nice but after you've visited like 2 or 3 you've pretty much seen many of them
>>
>>1448966
>and they sound like a child that's getting raped when you're having sex with them

but that's the best part
>>
>>1449066
just go to Okinawa. A It has surpassed Hawaii as a popular destination for Japanese tourists.
>>
>>1449109
no they would have surrendered pretty soon either way.

On the other hand, Korea/Vietnam got lucky that they were not the first guinea pigs to be experimented on with atomic bombs
>>
>>1449117
other trips I did:
>Fukuoka
>Nagasaki
>Kagoshima
>Aso
>Beppu
>Matsuyama
>Kochi
>Himeji
>Naoshima
>Okayama
>Takamatsu

currently in planning stage:
>Matsue
>Izumo
>Tottori
>>
>>144912thanks for the thorough answer anon, really appreciate it
It will be my first time so I guess I will be going to a lot of popular sights.
I already kind of chose the plum season for my trip next year, so I just hope that there are still enough other travellers and locals to meet new people but not too many to overwhelm me
>>
>>1448562
how do i get a Japanese gf as a white piggu?
>>
What can I do in Tokyo evenings after places like Nakano or akihabara shut? Weekdays seem so dead
>>
>>1449360
Drink.
>>
>>1449360
maybe don't go to places where the only appeal is to sell anime merchandise to people?

Fucking weebs I swear...
>>
So what's your favorite pocket wifi provider? Did you preorder it before you went in Japan? How did it go?

I'll be in Japan for 2 weeks later in September.
>>
The Keith Haring thing at Omotesando Hills was pretty great. I'd recommend it if you even slightly like his work.
>>
>>1449197
Most if not all restaurants will be fine during Christmas because Christmas is a big couples night in Japan. New Years will have a lot of places closed for 1-3 days as it's the "spend time with family and celebrate" holiday. And after that, malls, shopping centers, etc will have ridiculous lucky bag sales.
>>
>>1449360
Come hang out with me faggot. I’ll make a man out of you
>>
>>1449380
Is there an entrance fee?
>>
>>1449445
Free to enter, but the things in the pop shop are quite pricey.
>>
>>1449274
I'm going for the first time in November for about 3 weeks, not got much of a plan yet beyond Akihabara, Nakano Broadway, eating, getting drunk and going up tall buildings though.
>>
In answer to some earlier questions about how to meet people/get laid, heres my advice (been in Sapporo 4 years):
>go to bars
>turn off your phone
>walk up to people you want to talk to/girls you like
>if you cant speak japanese and they cant speak english, it doesnt matter.
>say hello, ask if you can join them
>buying them a drink sweetens the deal but i dont usually do this
>be genki and extroverted. smile alot
>dont try to act "cool".
>ask if they have work tommorow/a boyfriend fairly early
>if thing are going well, do some shots
>go to karaoke
>hit up another bar
>ask if they wanna come back to your place and "watch a movie".

-i dont think Japanese girls are particularly hard to pull. the 10/10's are usually out of bounds unless your a)loaded, b)one hell of a good looking guy c)speak good japanese d)have lvl. 100 charisma.
-if you get rejected, so what. just keep trying.
-without going into the realms of creepiness be super complimentary. someone once told me japanese girls want you to think the world of them, i think this is true. lie your ass off is neccessary
>imo its better to go to bars with someone else. you look like a bit of a loner if not.
>35-40 yr old japanese ladys at bars are the easiest lays on the planet. if your desperate and dont feel like trying hard, you can 99% score with this demographic

I was once dressed like absolute shit, probably looked like shit, but was in one hell of a genki mood cuz i'd just gotten laid and it was the start of the weekend. went to a bar, in my overly happy state of being just sat next to a bunch of good looking girls, and despite my shabby demenaour, pulled one hell of a foxy lady cuz i was so damn genki.
most of these rules can be applied to anywhere in the world.
as my brother once told me, the trick to pulling is to have a great time. sitting in the corner by yourself, on your phone, slyly eyeing up the ladies will get you nowhere. be genki and have fun!

TLDR: Be Genki!
Gambatte! ;)
>>
>>1449493
This unironically seems like good advice, thanks. I'm gonna test this out in Mexico since I'm too young to drink in my own country and hone my skills, and then I'm get laid in Japan! I believe!

By the way, are you a good singer? How do you get good at singing? I can hit notes pretty well, but I have a really stupid voice.
>>
>>1449500
The worse of a singer you are the more fun you will have at a karaoke.
>>
>>1449502
Shit, really? I went with my friend a couple times and we were horrible, I felt like we had to practice or something. Girls don't like if if you're a really good singer?
>>
>>1449505
Karaoke is a place where you go to drink a shit load of booze and have a ton of fun. Its not a singing competition. No one counts score for who is the best singer. You pick a song and mumble drunkenly the words to it. People will laugh with you at you, and you will laugh when other people sing. Unless you go with a professional singers and start a competition, in which case rethink your company.
Seeing Japanese people sing English song especially 80's classics is a must experience in your life.
It is forever ingrained in my mind how my Japanese salary man friend sang "Black batty"
Shit was awesome.
>>
>>1449505
Girls obvious like if you're a really good singer and talented. But if you're shit but give it a passionate go at it, they will admire you for giving it a solid go.
>>
Going to Osaka and wanna go to Universal studios to ride the Eva ride. Is the joint worth it, going alone if it means anything for shorter ride queues?
>>
When is the best time to buy plane tickets for the end of December?
Looking to go after Christmas for the New Year, they're listed as ~600 for a direct flight from Amsterdam right now, last week was 700, so I kind of want to know when I step in and buy them for the best price.
>>
>>1449511
>Is the joint worth it, going alone if it means anything for shorter ride queues?

Not really, and no the line will be long regardless even with a fast pass
>>
>>1449511
It costs like 8k yen just for the base entry into the park and you're going to get btfo by the lines unless you spend even more for a fast pass or a timed entry or whatever, no one ride is going to be worth that. Probably better off just going to an Eva store, there's one in Ikebukuro and one in Hakone.
>>
>>1449509
I had an experience where it was a young japanese guy singing in perfect English to Don't Stop Me Now, probably made my night.
>>
going to be spending Halloween in Tokyo for the first time. When does the festivities start? Or is it all day? I assume Shibuya will be packed anything particular to do there?
>>
>>1449566
You may want to look up some youtube videos about it, there are halloween events but it's a bit different than what you are probably thinking. It's hard to explain.
>>
>>1449567
Will it usually coincide with bars and all that? I would assume it's a weird street party thing. Would transit be extended or will it just close at regular time?
>>
would the comiket vendors even sell a white blond guy their work?
>>
>>1449515

Do this: Go to Google flights, enter your parameters (Amsterdam to any airport in Tokyo - rough dates (length of stay; always stay a Sunday and/or a week, for lower ticket prices) - and any airline or stop restrictions.

Then check prices. Looks like $595 is lowest now. Cool, check the Price Graph. Looks low for the average (doesn't get lower than that). Now check prices closer to right now; check maximum. Looks like it can go up to $1100.

Doesn't look like it'll go lower. Can go a lot higher. Safe to book it.
>>
>>1449515

FWIW, if you want to fly a Japanese airline, consider BRU, FRA or CDG; ANA / JAL fly from there and their service is a lot nicer IMO. Mos burger on JAL!
>>
Anything fun to see and do in Nagasaki? I will be there for a day or two now.
>>
File: 000086890037.jpg (2.3 MB, 3089x2048)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
>>1449160
I was planning on visiting Takayama for the fall by way of Toyama. Any suggestions for places to stay, visit/eat there?

>>1449117
Me and a buddy visited a small fishing town called Manazuru when we were in Japan for golden week. There was nobody there, it was scenic, quiet, and the people were friendly. Pic related, I took it while we were walking along the bay towards the Fuukura side.
>>
>>1449592
Yes, why would they care? Most artists are happy to see their work be appreciated by people. if you were selling something would you turn someone away because they looked asian? Fuck no
>>
>>1449636
Currently live here. The night view is really spectacular, highly recommend it. Gunkanjima is ok, but it's kinda expensive (6,000 +) and you can't actually explore the island much because it's unsafe. Glover Garden is ok, if you're onto old Western estates, but summer is probably the worst time to visit. Dejima is ok if you really care about Dutch trading warehouses, and the atomic bomb museum is ok too. The drinking area around Kankodori tram stop is pretty interesting - Nagasaki city itself is old as fuck and a snapshot of Japan from like 40-50 years ago.

Early next month is Nagasaki kunchi festival though, maybe you'll be there for that?
>>
>>1449650
Old town is fun, the sake brewery is a must, old farm town there too, castle ruins are eh. Gero is great for the onsens and such, bunch of hiking buses to the top of mountains, usually still capped into. Spent almost 4 days there last time, was just enough to do/see everything
>>
>>1449624
>>1449625
Thanks, I see booking pretty soon would be ideal.
Amsterdam is probably the best option for me as Schiphol is on a direct train line from my city, and as a student I don't have to pay to use trains.
For 16 days in Tokyo and 2 in Osaka, would 200k yen (including lodging) be adequate for a 21 year old single male?
I generally don't plan on buying anything. For what it's worth I am a weeb, so I'll check stuff out of course, but I don't care for goods. I'm mainly interested in seeing some underground idols I've been following for a year now, and they won't be having shows (which according to acquaintances who live there and regularly attend similar shows cost 6-8k yen per night max) every night so my spending will probably be at a minimum on most days.
I've been lurking every few days so I think it should be okay from what I've seen, but asking just in case.
>>
>>1449467
Solid plan, i'll be there for 3 weeks as well, similar plans minus tall buildings
>>
So, being that Japanese food is a lot of seafood, and lots of high-sodium foods, do you guys do any sort of "pre-japan trip" dieting to get your digestive system ready for such foods?

Should I eat a little japanese food at home before I go, or do you feel like you adjust pretty quick once you're there?

Not really worried about it myself, but just in case, ya know. Don't want to have a day or part of a day wasted feeling rumbly and bloated in my tummy ya know lol
>>
On my way to Comiket right now, any of you degenerates up for getting wasted and sperg out at a bar later?
>>
>>1449707
Just eat smaller portions 1-2 weeks prior to, that's about it. Drink water over soda or sugary drinks even like sweet tea.

The food wasn't very high sodium imo, but quite oily and high in fats.

>>1449712
/jp/ does a meetup right after and some during at red saw, 2 groups there the autists and the alcoholics, go with the latter you'll actually be able to talk with people go to fun places and drink without someone calling you a normiefaggot and how dumb you are.
>>
>>1449713
Thanks for the tip, I didn't find any info on /jp/. You think I can just drop by like that, or will they bite my head off for not giving a shit about idols?
>>
>>1449718
Contrary to popular belief, most people who post on boards that aren't /pol/ and /b/ are pretty well adjusted and chill people.

I've been to a few meetups over the years and everyone is pretty cool for the most part.
>>
>>1449718
Most are all crossboarders, you'll be fine some will talk about anime but no one will take anything too seriously.
>>
>>1449720
Yeah, I've had similar experiences with /trv/ meetups so I'm not worried about that. Guess I'll just hang out by the saw at 4 and see if anyone's down since I still can't find anything on /jp/
>>
>>1449722
Reddit travel has a LINE Group for each month which is pretty active, people there were cool the last two times I was over in Japan, might find something to do there.
>>
>>1449707
>>1449713

I didn't shit the first three days I was there. I found the food to really bind me up at first. But then those first days I had eaten tonkotsu ramen, tonkatsu, and two oyakodons...not the most fibrous food.

That third day my I bought a breakfast set from my airbnb hosts (they run an izakaya and offered breakfast for 500 yen). This included some of the fluffiest white toast I had ever had, along with salmon, tofu, soup, and rice. They also gave me a Yakult at the end, which I think had something to do with what happened later that day...

That afternoon I was in Ginza, and I went to Cafe de l'ambre and had two coffees. I hung out a bit and left...

Walking around I soon became overwhelmed with an overwhelming need to defecate...I could hardly walk, my bowels were so full of farts and feculence.

So there I was, waddling around Ginza, hot and sweaty, desperately searching for a convenience store with a bathroom.

Thankfully, I found that most of the convenience stores in Tokyo do have bathrooms available to the public.

So, I think I found a FamilyMart toilet and unloaded one of the biggest dumps of my life. Just...so much shit and gas flowing out of my ass.

That's what Japanese food did to me my first few days...I did have a little constipation after that, but nothing like this.

I actually didn't find it oily or particularly salty, either. Even the tonkatsu and tempura I ate were different from what's available in the states. These foods are a lot lighter in Japan, despite being fried. Then again, I went to slightly higher-end places.
>>
>>1449666
Thanks Satan, I will be there until Sunday. Was looking at Gunkanjima, if time allows I'll book it. Any recommendations for the best night view?
>>
>>1449141
Lake Towada/Oirase Stream
>>
Reminder that if you fetishize Japan due to anime, yellow fever, or lolis, Japan DOES NOT WANT YOU. They will be nice to your face but in their heart, they will 100% hate you.
>>
>>1449769
>Caring what a dying race thinks
>>
>>1449769
Reminder that people who fetishize Japan for those reasons cant afford to travel there because they're slobs.
>>
>>1449772
I know a lot of anime losers that have gone to Japan.
>>
>>1449774
I was walking around Akihabara yesterday and saw so many white dudes with long greasy ponytails, anime shirts, acne ridden faces, hunched over their new figures or manga.

Holy fuck I sincerely hope local people don’t see me as one of those dudes.
>>
>>1449774
Yeah and they don't interact with people and sit around Aki, buy shit and go sit in their hotel because they have no social skills.
>>
>>1449769
>Japan DOES NOT WANT YOU

Oh you're the representative for japan now? Why are you posting on 4chan

Lemme guess it's one of these for you

>weebs are fucking disgusting
Okay so don't care so much about going to akihabara being your main focus, even then most weebs stick to themselves. Easy to avoid for the most part. Sure some are unhygienic, but so are a lot of tourists.
>weebs ruined my experience in japan
Highly doubt this, most weebs are super big introverts, if you care about seeing some rando in a anime shirt and that ruins your trip then just grow up. If some weeb ruined your travel experience you are either looking for an excuse to complain or have never met chinese or austrailians; and obviously don't travel much.
>weebs paint X in a bad light
If you think this you really don't grasp what most japanese people go through no a day to day life with their own citizens or experiences with foriegners

>>1449776
>got to anime central
>wow wtf weebs are here!
You're looking for problems or you are a closet weeb attempting to downplay it, besides like 600k people are there for the biggest anime/doujin convention on the planet. No shit you'll see weebs
>>
>>1449769
Ok bro
>>
>>1449779
Wow... So annoying someone who isn't bothering anyone at all. Do you also get mad when you see someone sitting alone at park bench?
>>
>>1449769
>>1449774
>>1449776

You know what is far more annoying? Someone coming into another country and trying to speak for them and their culture. Anime isn't a big deal in japan, fuck it's a huge industry and money maker for their economy. Imagine if someone from another country saw a DC/Marvel fan and went "oh man fucking nerd, can't believe they are shitting up the place!".
>>
>>1449792
I'm not saying I'm annoyed I'm actually defending the fact that Japanese people dont give a fuck about Otakus in Japan unless they're raping children there.
>>
>>1449274
going around 20th nov - 20th dec
might be with a friend might not. If not i might post here to see if anyone wants to hang out at some point
>>
>>1449745
Mt. Inasa.
>>
File: ken-sama.jpg (55 KB, 600x800)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I'm a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!
>>
>found Hibiki 17 for MSRP
>now waffling over whether to buy it

Fuck I hate being an indecisive shopper
>>
>>1449817
>Hibiki 17
Do it
>>
>>1449817
Not really all that great anon
>>
>>1449493
so just like in any other country (minus the Karaoke I guess)
>>
>>1449509
>Unless you go with a professional singers and start a competition, in which case rethink your company.

I once went with a professional Singing instructor m8 of mine. Was pretty embarrassing kek
>>
>>1449769
but I fetishize all of those and been to Japan 5 times. what now?
>>
>>1449787
It’s not a problem with weebs. I am one. The problem is the fucking loser NEETs who clearly haven’t showered in days and ogle the girls advertising for maid cafes
>>
>>1449819
I did. Was considering getting two, one to drink and one to resell, decided against it. The store still has at least two 700ml bottles left. Yamaya liquor store in Sendai, on the ground floor of the building the Westin is in.
>>
How's the weather in mid-september? Is it a good idea to bring my leather jacket or will I sweat into a tiny puddle?
>>
>>1449854
Forgot to mention I'm talking about Tokyo.
>>
I will finally be visiting by myself next year, so I fully intend to party it up for few nights - but most of the advice I see regarding drinking here is aimed toward men (ie. Don't follow touts and piss away several man trying to get your dick wet.)

>>1449509
I want to get into fun situations like this. Can a lone (young) female wander into random bars and make buddies with salarymen by shouting a round?

I know I could just pick up chads who want to get a taste of that sweet gaijin pussy, but I'd rather genuine experiences.
>>
How rude/bad would it be for me to take an american flag up to Mount Fuji for the picture?
>>
>>1449865
>but I'd rather genuine experiences.

you mean getting plowed by a limp dicked, overworked, drunk, married salaryman in his 50s in some random cheap love hotel?

Shouldn't be too hard, just show some cleavage and you'll be fine
>>
How would I best translate "uniqlo stan?" Don't really know any slang. And is tinder really that easy for a tallish white guy?
>>
>>1449876
I don't get the 'Stan' - What are you actually trying to ask? If I have the context I could help.

Tinder is super easy for foreigners. Just don't expect 11/10s, and make sure you wrap up because chlamydia is pretty common.

>>1449868
Re-reading the post I can kinda see why it looks like I'm asking for a husbando or something. I meant that I want to know how (platonic) socializing is different between men/women; if there are places that will be less welcoming, etc.
Japan is great because moonmen really will shower you with compliments and act like you're a princess. It's easy mode.
>>
>>1449884
Have you been to Japan or are you memeing? I'll treat you like a princess and whore at the same time once you are back in the west if you want.
>>
>>1449894
I have been, but also I have multiple dudes add me to LINE every other day from language exchange sites. They really play up the 'Oh you're a perfect woman!! Just my type! Not like girls in Japan!', but it's obviously because they have white fever.

>Maybe if they did that to Japanese women there wouldn't be a 3dpd crisis.
>>
>>1449902
How old are you? Where from?
>>
>>1449904
Aw geez. I've been really nonchalant about how much of a dick I sound because I was safe as anon. :^) I'm early twenties and not American.

I feel like now is the time to point out that I've never actually slept with anyone there, or used it to my advantage for a free meal or whatever. It's just kind of.. A funny thing that happens? But it's not something I'm interested in (which is why I was asking about casual/platonic drinking.)
>>
File: 1505828129102.jpg (274 KB, 800x1143)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
Is there a Godzilla museum open to the public? How can I get inside Toho studios?
>>
>>1449905
You will have a much easier time if you are not by yourself. Some friends, at least one male. Just with one male friend you will be able to mingle in a lot easier with the local salariimen if that is what you want.
>>
anyone in osaka right now?
>>
Just paid 19,000 for a handjob and a feel of her pussy how bad did I do. I know I did bad, first and last time at a massage parlour.
>>
>>1449943
Seriously stupid.
>>
>>1449944
So what are the prices really supposed to be like?
>>
Anyone here traveling during Obon? Its my first time here during Obon and everything seems booked
>>
>>1449962
Of course everything is booked, the entire country is on vacation. You basically picked the single worst time to travel to Japan.
>>
>>1449943
Absolutely terrible, I payed 10000 for full on sex. Was she a least hot?
>>
>>1449705
Nice, I get in the 7th, a bit closer to the time want to organise a meet up for drinks and/or weeb shit?
>>
>>1449948
Free.
>>
>>1449972
nice hairy pussy and Japanese. I don't know how to find the place for sex since you cant mention it and I don't speak Japanese.
>>
>>1449884
Stan like I wear tons of uniqlo. Currently have ユニクロの愛好家 because that was the closest word to enthusiast I could find, but it isn't quite meme-y enough, like I actually take it seriously.
>>
A friend of mine is going to be living in Japan for like a year, so I will probably take the chance to visit while she is there. She suggested going during Golden Week, so she has more free time, but I am worried every touristy spot will be packed with people and staying at hostels may be more expensive. So anyone knows how travelling around Japan during Golden week is in terms of crowds and prices?
>>
>>1450038
Expensive and crowded.
>>
File: Korea_Jap.jpg (512 KB, 2000x1325)
512 KB
512 KB JPG
>tallest buildings in the world are to be found all over the city
>the street has a regular row of houses
>food is cheaper and more delicious than japan
Why don't you go to Korea?

Jap city is ugly shit
>the street has a regular row of houses

Why don't you go to Korea?

Jap city is ugly shit
>>
>>1450004
I literally looked it up in English on google. I'll admit though, knowing Japanese helped out when I was actually there. Just go to any Soapland in the Yoshiwara Soap area that accepts foreigners and you can get sex for 10000-20000 yen. Many of them don't accept foreigners so it's a good idea to look them up beforehand or give them a call, if you speak Japanese.

And speaking of sex in Asakusa, some dude from this thread told me that just walking around the Rox area late at night is a great way to pick up chicks, but it was totally fucking dead when I went. I just got a bunch of weird stares from the ramen shop guy when I walked past his store for the third time. Were you just bullshitting with me or was going on a Sunday a bad idea?
>>
>>1450093
I know you are trolling, but I'll answer anyway:
I can visit both, and I probably will :)
>>
>>1449650
If you are going through Toyama, You have to try the black ramen. It won the best ramen of japan several times, and theres a great restaurant (not sure if the original) called Iroha and its literally next to the station in Toyama.
definitely recommend it.
>>
>>1449669
16 days in Tokyo might be too much if you dont have anything specific planed ahead of time or you know someone you want to hang with before hand.

If you are traveling Tokyo-Osaka might as well cut a few days from Tokyo and add a few stops along the way(Kyoto, Nara, Hakone, might even do Iga-Ueno) Check it out.

As for the money, 200k yen should be plenty of money to live off for 3 weeks. considering you want to enjoy the trip and stay in good hotels and go to fancy restaurants.
You could probably also live for 3 weeks with nothing more than 100k you will just have to be cheap on 7-11 food and stay in cheap hostels.
>>
>>1450095
Stories like that involve one guy being incredibly lucky just once in his life, and since getting laid is such a rare occurrence for them, they extrapolate that it must be easy as shit for anyone at that location.
>>
>>1449865
Drunk karaoke salary man guy here,
>Can a lone (young) female wander into random bars and make buddies with salarymen by shouting a round?

Depends if you are looking for platonic relationships or are looking to find drunk Japanese guys to take you home.
If its the second one I wouldnt really know, just be easy I guess and look good.
If you are looking to join some guys and have a fun night in a platonic sense.
You probably wouldnt want to look for over drunk people. Find a group that looks like they are starting the night. Easiest groups I found to join on, are usually a mix of Japanese and whites, most of the times they are either friends and you could ease into their night, or they are also just some guys getting together for the night, not knowing each other in which case you will be very welcomed company. Just be really clear early on about not being interested in sexual stuff.

>but I'd rather genuine experiences.
my only tips I can give her is to go out early and be open to adventure. You usually dont look for interesting experience they just happen, and the more open/friendly/adventures you are the more often these experiences will become.
So go out early to make the most out of the night also meeting people before they are totally drunk. be open though clear about what you are looking for. Obviously dont be a downer and introduce yourself as "anon -the unfuckable."
And thats pretty much it. Japan has a lot of entertaining things to do so just join with some locals and ride with them till morning.
Wish you luck.
>>
>>1450105
I am not sure about this place specifically but walking around off clubs areas is a pretty solid way to pick up left over chicks.
Believe it or not but women also go out to bar to hook up, and after a certain point in the night they become just as desperate as anyone would be. Going up to them sober is easy game.
>This fact is true about everywhere in the world out side of sex tourism countries.
>>
>>1450099
Different person but intrardasting. On my itinerary I'm going to be passing through Toyama on the Kanazawa bullet train, might stop off there for dinner on my way to Tokyo.
>>
Is there any chance of me meeting cool folks randomly if I don't drink?
>>
>>1449493
>35-40 yr old japanese ladys at bars are the easiest lays on the planet. if your desperate and dont feel like trying hard, you can 99% score with this demographic

Do you have special tips how to meet one of these?
>>
>>1449366
I used Econnect Japan twice. I preordered a week in advance and picked up the envelopes at the Haneda airport post office. Everything worked as expected, but the pocket wifi device and the included bag, cables, charger, etc. have some weight. Furthermore, the device might get pretty hot after some time. If you only want to use a smartphone, I recommend that you get a data sim card instead.
>>
>>1448566
Had a similar experience with Vietnam this summer. By the end of my trip I was getting more into the swing of things, but it still felt like I had missed out. I think a lot of it has to do with just sheer willingness to talk to random people and deal with them maybe not reciprocating, until you find someone who you hit it off with and is willing to have some fun.
>>
>>1450139
Its literally just outside Toyama station.
>>
>>1450149
If you dont look like the reincarnation of Jesus and dont smell like it as well, Sure why not.
>>
>>1449915
Go and pay, everything is open to the public for the most part
>>
File: smiletoprotect2.jpg (41 KB, 658x561)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1450168
I am clean cut, tall, and decently built (can definitely ohp lmao1jap) I've also been told I look intimidating by multiple people. Are those good or bad?
>>
>>1450177
Absolutely horrible.
You will be taking all of our pussy.
Leave some for us average men too.
>>
File: 80f[1].jpg (68 KB, 800x530)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1450179
I just want to hang out with cool dudes and do karaoke, I'm really bad with women.
>>
File: 42337760981_aedffbb4d7_k.jpg (601 KB, 1358x2048)
601 KB
601 KB JPG
>>1450099
thanks for the tip. im probably going to check out the uchikawa river while I am up there too, so any other recommendations are appreciated.

heres another photo I took of manazuru this may.
>>
File: IMAG3487.jpg (3.66 MB, 5376x3024)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
Fuck
>>
>>1450198
Gran class, man. Gran class.
>>
>>1450198
You just got Obon'd, nigga
>>
>>1450198
Take the Seishun18, pleb
>>
>>1450202
Went green car on the Yamabiko. Really didn't want to shell out 19k for gran class

>>1450216
>lose the entirety of my final day in Nippon going from Sendai to Tokyo
nothnx
>>
>>1449884
Wait you're a girl?
Just the fact that you're a girl means you have it easier than sliced bread. Literally 90% of guys anywhere in the world will have sex with you if you're a decent quality human being and don't play subtle games.
>>
>>1450222
How's Sendai? What's there to see and do?
>>
File: 1465308614775.webm (2.64 MB, 640x480)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB WEBM
>>1449884
is this you
>>
>>1450234
Lot of stuff around Sendai. Aizu-wakamatsu and Mt Bandai, Matsushima bay, Yamadera temple, Hiraizumi, Mt Zao, and so on. The city itself is pretty comfy, with a massive series of shopping streets leading away from the station full of all kinds of shops, restaurants, bars, cafes, karaoke, manga cafes, arcades, etc. For food, gyu-tan (beef tongue) is amazing. There's an izakaya that specializes in it in Sendai station called Tan-ya Zenjirou that was really good. Taiyaki is another Sendai thing, and there's a great taiyaki shop at the far end of the first shopping street from Sendai station, across the street from Donqi.
>>
Don't climb a mountain called Fujisan. Man, this shit is so fucked up in so many different levelsz yo. I was hanging out with one of my white friends when he showed me this brochure. I was like, "what's this shit?" And he was like "dude, let's take a long ass bus ride into the forest AND MAKE SURE YOU BRING HIKING BOOTS." So I thought it was some kind of nature thing. So we started climbing the mountain and I was like "yooooo what the fuck?" Then it was three hours later and I was like "Yooooooo!" Then it was freezing fucking cold and they wouldn't let us into the lodging and I was like "YOOOOOOO!" I couldn't believe we werent even halfway done, we had been hiking for four solid hours. AND YET WE COULDNT STOP CLIMBING. Then we we're at 2,000 meters and people started huffing oxygen! Yo, those climbers! Those climbers! And then they charged ¥200 to use the bathroom and... YOOOOOOOO! I couldn't fucking believe what I was doing. It was like Satan gave me his vacation itinerary. I was so fucking g sleep deprived and succumbing to altitude sickness... YET I COULDNT STOP CLIMBING. Then we reached 3,000 meters. Threeeeeee! It was threeeeeee thousaaaand meeeettterrs! And we still had another seven hundred meters in freezing cold to go! Oh my God! I ain't never going outside again, weebs! I already wore all the flesh off my feet on the four hour hike back down! So I just wanna tell you all right now DONT CLIMB A MOUNTAIN CALLED FUJISAN! ITS LIKE THE ESCALATOR TO NOWHERE! REMEMBER WHAT I'M SAYIN TO YOU!
>>
>>1450257
yo is that a motherfucking homestuck reference
>>
>>1450258
nevermind the bnp one was first
>>
Tokyo 2020 Olympics take place in July and August of that year, but how much difference of an experience could one expect that spring compared to spring of next year? Anything? Better or worse?
>>
>>1450275
You'll just see a lot more prep work going into things, people practicing a lot of things the government is pushing, etc etc. I would avoid tokyo a bit and go else where around japan.
>>
are hotels, hostels and airbnbs strict about check-in and check-out times? it seems like a real hassle to check out of a hotel at 10am, only to have to haul ass and not be able to enjoy small train stops along the way to your next accomodation.
>>
>>1450279
>Hotels
Yes
>Hostels
Not really checked out 20 minutes late onetime they didn't care. Lotta hostels are 11am. Seriously you should be getting out around 9am anyways if you want to see shit, many places often will close earlier than your hometown.
>Airbnb
Up to the host, some that go to work are super strict about it

>only to have to haul ass and not be able to enjoy small train stops along the way to your next accomodation.

Drink some coffee first thing am or don't stay out all fucking night before you have to catch a train.
>>
>>1450279
>check out time at hotel
>have a ton of luggage, souvineers, backpack, etc.
>can't be bothered to carry around 100lbs of shit all day
>go to train station
>find the biggest locker
>pay ¥1000
>dump all my shit in there
>have fun knowing all my shit is secure in the very station I'll be using to get home later
>>
>>1450289
>not leaving it behind the desk

Why don't people just do this, most any hotel will let you do it till your next check in if in a different location for free most the time even.
>>
As a repeat visitor of Japan, I am always impressed with how clean they are.

I've been wondering if a dirty/dingy part of Japan exists, namely in cities. I mean, there's a dirty side to many other major cities like NYC, Vancouver, Hong Kong, LA, etc., but I don't remember seeing any worn or decrepit buildings and piles of garbage in Japan.
>>
>>1450299
>hurr le cklen and intelgnt jpas

When will this stupid meme end? Have you been to Shinkuku? Every bridge has some piss-smelling homeless encampments under it along with all of the garbage that comes with that. And once the crowds are gone after like 2 AM, the streets are fucking LINED with used cigarettes and beer bottles. You only say it's clean because there are too many damn people to see anything. I'll admit, it's still cleaner than most cities, but it's still got its dirty parts and it's ultra-clean business areas just like any big city.
>>
>>1450299
Parts of Osaka are pretty dingy relatively speaking, like the area just south of Shinsekai where all the suspiciously-cheap hostels are clustered. I don't really think anything of a Downtown Eastside kind of tier exists though, certainly nothing as open and visible in the middle of town like that. Just the insanely severe drug laws themselves probably plays a massive role in preventing that sort of thing.
>>
>>1450301
lel, I saw homeless guys in Tokyo the very first time I visited Japan. They were a lot cleaner and more well-behaved than the homeless in my own country.
>>
>>1450301
I don't think that's quite what he's talking about. Having some trash on the streets isn't the same thing as being in an out-and-out ghetto like Vancouver's east side where people are openly shooting smack into their eyeballs on street corners.
>>
>>1450299
Osaka, around nipponboshi and to the southeast. Nagoya has a lot of meh. Tokyo has some homeless cities you can visit, Yokosuka is slowly retreating on the housing market and becoming full of abandoned places.

Go to some port cities that aren't full on tourist hubs, easier to find it. Ghetto's in japan just googling brings up some good tips
>>
>>1450305
>>1450304
True, true. It is impressive that Tokyo, such a big city, practically doesn't have any ghettos or dangerous areas, compared to my city, where there are areas were niggers are having firefights one a daily basis and violent retards are screaming at walls in pissing in the streets in public, even in "rich" areas. I might have set my expectations for Japan a little high. In retrospect, it is very clean. It's just not the paradise people make it out to be.
>>
File: DSC_3219-821x1024.jpg (117 KB, 821x1024)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>1450307
>niggers are having firefights on a daily basis
I know what you mean, but I was imagining pic related.
>>
File: y6b786bt78b.png (796 KB, 1169x916)
796 KB
796 KB PNG
>>1450308
I mean, yeah, there are plenty of black people who are firefighters, you're not wrong.
>>
File: 1511714942780.jpg (53 KB, 522x490)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>OP
>4 links dealing with Japanese prostitution
>One link for train timetables, nothing at all for general sightseeing or trip planning or the JR Pass

Surely this has to play at least some role in why the same basic-bitch dude-what-should-I-do-in-Tokyo-lmao questions being asked over and over and over in these threads. If I'm around to start a new thread when this one dies maybe I should add some general online resources to the OP.
>>
>>1450114
Does this actually work unless you look really charming? I'm from Scandinavia, and doing that would mark you as a creep. Like most women will either be with friends or be very cautious about unfamiliar males approaching them at that time.
>>
>>1450310
You wouldn't want to see it without those links, besides this is a VERY old copy and pasta from over a year or so
>>
>>1450198
What are the three symbols on top?
>>
>>1450312
My point is that we've all seen what these threads are like without any of those kinds of resources in the OP. People are undoubtedly going to ask retarded shit regardless but at the very least a link to Japan Guide should be a no-brainer. Stuff like this crazy-ass map >>1448576 is an awesome user-made all-in-one resource that people ought to take advantage of as well.
>>
>>1450311
Seconding this, sounds like BS to me. Does picking up girls on the street EVER get you laid? Or is it just more of a numbers game that will certainly work as long as you waste your time and fail a hundred times before finally getting it done?
>>
>>1450313
They represent the different classes of trains.

The yellow hexagon represents "GranClass," which is a luxury-type of train.

The green clover represents "Green Car," which has better seating than standard class.

I googled this myself, so this is all I know. I don't know what the third symbol (yellow man on reclining seat) means. I mean, process of elimination would suggest standard class, but I don't have any hard evidence.
>>
I'm going to spend 60 days travelling Japan from mid-march to mid-may. I'd like to see:

Honshu (Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto + surroundings, Tahoku, Chube, Wakayama and Hiroshima)
Hokkaido (hiking and generally seeing the greatest nature it has to offer)
Kyushu (haven't done too much research, but I'm thinking Fukuoka and some hiking)
Shihoku (Yakushima and the island-hopping bicycle route are the only things on my mind)

I'm mainly interested in nature and scenic places, and exploring the different cities + the food, but would also like to see temples and other historical stuff. I'm not a weeb at all and I'm not overly interested in Japanese culture, but would still love to experience the country as part of my longer Asia trip. Some questions:

Is 60 days even enough to attempt all 4 islands? Do I want to see too much and will it get hectic?
What are some of the best parks inside cities?
What are some of your favourite hikes that are either day hikes or multi-day hikes with cheap accommodation along the way (or the option to rent a tent and relatively easy route to navigate)?
Is $50 a day for most of the days an unreasonably low budget?
Am I the kind of person who should buy a JR pass, or will I be able to get around by busses and a few shinkansen rides for the experience?

Finally, please hit me with any suggestion that fits my interests, especially about Hokkaido and Kyushu. Would like a balance between avoiding big crowds all day everyday and not being an autist who is skipping all the cool famous places in order to go off the beaten path.
>>
File: skid row.jpg (265 KB, 1200x800)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>1450301
how is it a meme if you literally admit its true at the end? it is incredibly clean. The difference between Japan and elsewhere is that after 2am, those cigarettes and beer bottles dont sit around, cake into the streets or get shattered like they do in most USA cities, and those homeless generally do not bother you and are out of sight from the public. In fact when I came out of a club at 5am the workers were already out there making everything clean again. I have literally watched homeless people smoke crack in front of children in the subway in San Fransisco and the homeless encampments (drug dens) in LA are the size of small towns now. can't speak for elsewhere but I would rather be in the worst homeless encampment in Tokyo than within a 10 mile radius of Skid Row.
>>
>>1450280
i think the point i was trying to make was that id be nice to just book a hotel, spend until an undetermined time before nightfall just traveling up and down the train lines, and then just walk into the hotel to check in when you get to your destination to get some rest without having to take a roundabout trip.

i made pretty good use of lockers between main destinations but i had a friend to stay with the last time i was there, i dont think i will be afforded that luxury the next time i decide to go.

>Seriously you should be getting out around 9am anyways if you want to see shit, many places often will close earlier than your hometown.
>Drink some coffee first thing am or don't stay out all fucking night before you have to catch a train.
thats not really a problem, i don't mind waking up early as shit to go places, see things, and do stuff.
>>
>>1450313
>>1450320
The yellow/gold is for the gran class car. Large, spacious seats even by shinkansen standards. About double the price of a regular seat though. The green symbol is for green class, which is between the regular and gran class in seat size. The third symbol is ordinary reserved seats. Hayabusa trains have no nonreserved seating, so if you see Xs in every column it is completely sold out. Some trains, like Kodama and Hikari, along with most limited express (non bullet trains) have unreserved cars.
>>
How far ahead should you plan a Japan trip? Do the prices differ a lot if you book flights/accommodation in advance?
>>
>>1450351
It doesn't matter much.
Also with google you can just check the prices.
>>
I find the transportation really hard to figure out. I tried searching Hyperdia for Tokyo - Osaka and all of the trains where Nozomi, which means you can't use rail pass, and the tickets are really expensive. The same goes for Osaka - Nagayo. The bus tickets are also like 7000 yen, which is still quite expensive. Am I overlooking something? I'm trying to plan my trip, and transportation seems overly expensive, and I'm from Scandinavia, so not exactly a poor place.

If I'm moving every third day and I'm staying for 60 days, I'd have to spend at least $30-60 dollars every time, which would come out to $600-1200 dollars for the trip only for transportation. Even if I'm moving every third day that's like $300-600
>>
>>1450395
Have you checked JR pass already?
>>
>>1450395
You are doing something wrong.
Under the railpass there should be at least a shinkansen to kansai, either osaka or kyoto.
Alternatively there are also overnight buses which you can use, which cost around 5000 yen.
>>
>>1450398
>>1450395
Yeah you’re being dumb.
You can’t use Nozomi, but can use either of the other two kinds of tokkaido shinkansens. Bit slower but not 14k yen slower.
>>
I went to Tokyo around August/September last year and I can't stop thinking about it. It was great, definitely up there with one of my favourite places I've travelled to.

Although I typically thought I didn't want to travel to the same country again so soon, I'm really tempted in this case. I'm thinking maybe some time in Oct - Dec. Halloween and before Christmas is always nice.
>>
¿Can I greet people on Japan saying "Hola" and expect them to know that it is spanish for hi?

That would make a conversation point quick.
>>
>>1450434
Don't be fucking annoying.
>>
>>1448966
this

Went to Japan last year and didnt find the women attractive
>>
Has anyone had any nanpa success alone? Clean from the street to the bar and maybe more.

What did you say. What's your secret? Reasonably good looking, just had 7 zeros.

Oddly enough I do quite well with Japanese women but I seem to be finding the wrong targets for nanpa.

Please give me tips. I'm talking about street approaching, Kawaii girls.
>>
Stop being a douchebag.
>>
Anyone going to summer war game continue tomorrow?
http://summerwarga.me/
>>
Whatever happens in Japan just feels hollow, not matter how muxh they Shinkansen or how much their economy once grew. It pales in significance next to China.

More fast rail on China than what Japan Kaye's in 70 years. Economic growth. China's will never ever be matched again in the history of the universe.

Urban renewal...Japan cant compete there either.
>>
The 19,000 yen handjob post was deleted!
>>
>>1450395
There's an option in the checkboxes to remove search results that involve Nozomi trains.
>>
File: inspo.png (130 KB, 500x397)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
is there another website I should be looking at besides expedia or Airbnb to find hostels/ryokans/minshukus and stuff to stay in for cheap?
>>
>>1450291
>Check out from hotel in Tokyo.
>Leave all my stuff at the desk
>Go to Hakone to walk around
>Check in time in cool Ryokan in Hakone
>My stuff are in Tokyo.
Whats the point of checking out of a hotel if you know you are going back there to take your stuff anyway might as well spend another night there.
>>
>>1450311
>Does this actually work unless you look really charming?
Read the post again. I was saying that going out late will result in meeting only left over women.
Think that through the night girl are being picked up and leave with some guys.
After 3 pm the women that left sitting alone in the club already understand that no one will approach them, and then this is the best time to actually do just that. approach, be nice, and take her to your place for somefun.

>I'm from Scandinavia,
I dont know where exactly you live but it has to be a small town. Tokyo is huge and massively populated. Approaching women and being nice is not being a creep. women with friends can still be picked up (although definitely harder), they might be cautious but they also want to be fucked, and as long as you are presentable and nice they will go with you.

>>1450316
> Does picking up girls on the street EVER get you laid?
Yes and no, it obviously not happening in an instant, but you could at the very least get her Line id and chat her up to meet up the day after, on some occasions I met girls on the street that I fucked the same day. but just being nice, presentable, and friendly, Joined her for a few drinks and then went home with her.

>Is it a numbers game?
Definitely, Its always a numbers game anon. no matter what time you do this, no matter how you look, or even no matter what you say most of the time. If your sample size is big enough you will definitely get laid, the key factor here is whether it happens after 5 girls or 50.
Some anon said something about being "Genki" earlier, couldnt agree more with him, Women love interesting, confident men. So even if you arent one, act as if you are and good luck.
>>
>>1450544
Booking.com
Hotels.com
Agoda
TripAdvisor
>>
>>1450434
Can I greet people in spain with "Konnichiwa" and expect them to know that it is Japanese for hi?

That would make a conversation point quickly.
>>
>>1450443
>Can you speak japanese? If so do you try to hit on them in Japanese?
>How are you starting the conversation?
>What kind of girl are you approaching?
>Are you alone?
>When/where?
>How are you losing them at the end?

Need more info anon.
I have a pretty good success rate I would say in just picking random girls from the street.
Usually I aim to get at least line id and chat her up for a date the next day.
Check David Bond on youtube, he makes a living from doing this shit.
>>
How come the Keihan main line from Kyoto to Osaka is so fucking cheap?
I will probably live in Kyoto and visit Osaka whenever I feel like, instead of finding a place in Osaka.
>>
>>1450579
I'd recommend doing it the other way around.
Osaka has a lot more to do in the evening and night, contrary to Kyoto which has a lot more to do during the day. So by doing trips to Kyoto for sightseeing during the day and going back to Osaka for some bars and nightlife is the more popular option.
>>
>>1450579
Because it's basically a commuter line.

It makes more sense to do it the other way around, Osaka is more known for its nightlife, if you stay in Kyoto you're going to always get stuck cutting things short to catch the last train back.
>>
>>1450579
Like the other anon said, base out of Osaka so you aren't stuck with so many tourists shits and at least have something to do after 5pm
>>
>>1450582
I found Kyoto apartments much cheaper though, which is my main decision factor, since I'm staying for a year.
Although there are some pretty cheap apartments in Osaka too.
It's so hard to decide...

>>1450583
> cutting things short to catch the last train back.
The first train is at 5, which is pretty early, so it shouldn't be much of a problem (I think).
I could be wrong though and it might end up becoming pretty annoying to wait untill 5 every time.
>>
>>1450314
It's about the same, this is the time most anons go over for comiket or last of vacation. It's filled with this shit every year. It dies off after comiket fairly quickly.

>>1450324
60 days is more than enough, 30 would be doable, 1 week for each. If that 50 is for everything including stay, you'll be pretty hard pressed. Sounds like you want to do a lot of things that exert energy, which is going to drive up your food budget. So unless you plan downing a lot of milkl to get protein and calories, good luck. I had to do that some times, not too much fun japanese milk is bleh. The areas you are looking at are more prici-er than Gifu, which has a ton of mountains in it and stuff, nagano area has stuff too. I would research a bit more, unless you really like the islands and possible odd storms.
>JR pass
Wouldn't do you much good, if you stick with what you posted just fly into Osaka, take slower trains to get around inbetween points. A JR pass wouldn't be useful to someone who seems like they want to get around via bus/commuter train.

>>1450351
I usually book 2-3 months out, depends on the season though.
>>1450395
Unselect Nozomi line then under more options anon. The other bullet trains are like 30 minutes slower, but fine.
>>1450434
Most asian countries don't know any kind of spanish, use english like the rest of modern countries for tourism
>>1450544
Hostelworld and what the other anon said
>>
>>1450586
>It's so hard to decide...
Prices for everyday goods will be cheaper in Osaka, during tourist seasons it won't be so hard getting a train, actual late stores are nice, less crowded with people, more central hub for getting around when you want to go out and do things.

>5am train
Unless you are working/study in kyoto and need to be there crack of dawn every day at 545am then stay in Kyoto, for anything else just do osaka.
>>
>>1450327
Never had that problem in places, I usually just look up on google what time the last train is to get to my return home, set an alarm 15 min before that train, wander around the place then maybe find a bar or something to chill with close to the train station. Grab the last train to return place, maybe look around a bit more before crashing.

Not too much too do after 11PM in most places anon. If in a big city I will just pay the 2500-3000 yen for 4-5 hours of sleeping in a internet cafe
>>
>>1450596
alright, so my only choice is to check in to the destination hotel/hostel and roam around the stations for the round trip then.

>Not too much too do after 11PM in most places anon.
never said i would do it for the nightlife either anon. big cities seem to have places open till really late compared to in america but i'm not a big nightlife guy anyway.
>>
>>1450604
I mean, when i go somewhere and get there I just go to the hotel/hostel well ahead of time. Sometimes I'll get somewhere at like 11am, drop off my bags until check in time, wander around then come back around check in time get it all set, pick up my bags take em to my bed or whatever, then go back out.

Like all hotels and hostels will allow you to drop bags off early for free or keep bags late. Never had one say I couldn't.
>>
>>1450606
alright, thanks.
>>
>>1450590
Ehhhhh, I've been following Japan general threads since the new year and "hey guys I'm visiting Tokyo next week and haven't planned or read up on anything what do lol" types of lowest-common-denominator questions have been a pretty regular fixture that whole time.
>>
What happens with luggage stored in coin lockers if you exceed the storage time? I have a sidetrip through Kansai planned as part of my trip so I was just going to keep my main luggage in Osaka and pick it back up when I return, but I'll be gone for four days which I think exceeds the time limit for locker storage. I want to try avoiding using counter services if I can since I'll likely be returning to Osaka quite late.
>>
>>1450615
Oh I was speaking more towards the sex talk. that shit has been going on since the dawn of time. Some anons have worked on making an F.A.Q before, but realized it won't stop those questions or people to give a shit to read it.

I wrote a big FAQ a while back, but most people who ask those questions don't even bother to read the post above theirs for even an itinerary or what others have said about X/Y/Z. So why would they even bother with reading a FAQ.

>>1450617
IIRC if at one of the train station lockers it gets moved to the service desk and then you pick it up+late fee, for other lockers. Not sure, depends on your last place of stay in Osaka. If you speak with whoever it was, often they will hold it and if you explain you may be gone for a longer time usually they will be okay with it, maybe a small fee for it.
>>
>>1450593
>Prices for everyday goods will be cheaper in Osaka,
This might be a good reason to stay in Osaka. From what I've seen I would pay at least 10000 or even 15000 yen more for an apartment in Osaka though.
>during tourist seasons it won't be so hard getting a train
I don't think this is much of a problem. At leasst it wasn't when I was in Kyoto last time.
>less crowded with people, more central hub for getting around when you want to go out and do things
All true. Although depending on where you live in Osaka is to be considered too. If you can't get home without a train, then there is no difference between living in Kyoto or Osaka.
After partying, you'll have to wait for the first one in the morning anyway.

I wish I could find some tatami floored rooms in Osaka though, since to me they are comfy as hell.
It's quite the tough decision. Maybe I'll try to spend some time in both of these cities before deciding.
>>
>>1450627
>at least 10000 or even 15000 yen more for an apartment in Osaka though.

What the hell are you using to search for apartments on? Unless you are staying at Osaka station, central, or waterfront apartments, it should be about the same if not cheaper.
>>
>>1450633
Elitz for Kyoto, and just Gaijinpot for Osaka.
There are some really, really cheap places on Elitz, but with downsides like a shared toilet, and just public bathing.
>>
Has anyone here ever done a cycle tour of Japan? How good are Japanese roads for cyclists?
>>
>>1450665
Not particularly useful for you now but Abroad In Japan is going to be documenting a cross-Japan bike tour that he's apparently starting in October. Depending on how far ahead you're planning that could give you a good idea of what to expect for long-haul cycling
>>
>>1448875
I didn't consciously note that the strangeness of the phone camera until it was pointed out to me. Bravo, honestly.
>>
>>1450436
Many people I know in Spain would understand Konichiwa, privet or Salam malecum (however these words are actually written).
>>
Planning a trip to Kyoto. What is the best area to stay in/what areas have people here stayed in and would you recommend it?
>>
>>1450579
just curious, what do you do for a living? I thought the JET program decided where you live based on need, and JET and the military seem to be the most common way people here get to live in Japan, so i'm interested
>>
>>1450733
I would stay within walking distance to Kyoto Station, because you will need to take busses (or cabs if you're wealthy) to get around a lot of areas like kinkakuji, and they're easy to catch from there. There's also a lot to eat / do in that area as well. Ive stayed in a hostel that was around 30 bucks a night that was cool, and there were a few hotels i found for under 100 a night that were good as well. the hostel was called Lower East 9 i think, and the hotel was like El Inn Kyoto. Both nice places, very very close to the station. Also great if you have the JR pass, easy access to shinkansen to Osaka or train to Nara and Inariyama

as many people here pointed out, nearly no nightlife scene, but the quick walk back from the train station allowed me to stay out in Osaka fairly late without having to worry about connecting trains or anything, and Kyoto is nice at night imo
>>
I've been working on my japanese, but it's still not good enough for common conversation and i'm about to take a car trip around the US for a few months. How do I keep things up, or should I use this time as a break from my studying?
>>
Shoutout to the anon who posted about the Keith Haring exhibit in Omotosando. Not even into art at all and I thought it was great
>>
>>1450743
pod casts about learning japanese sentences
>>
>>1449451
I wanted one of those huge wall stickers so bad, but there’s no way I’d get it in my suitcase home.

Ty for recommending tho
>>
>>1450745
I googled Keith Haring myself just to see what the fuss was about.

Goddamn, his art looks strangely familiar. It looks like what you would see on the cover of a math textbook or computer software from the 90s.
>>
>>1450755
Haring was fucking massive in the 80s, he was one of Andy Warhol's major protoges and his stuff has been merchandised to the moon and back.
>>
>>1450755
I don’t know, something about the bright colours and super simplistic designs is really nostalgic, like watching old Saturday morning cartoons
>>
>>1450619
>
I wrote a big FAQ a while back, but most people who ask those questions don't even bother to read the post above theirs for even an itinerary or what others have said about X/Y/Z. So why would they even bother with reading a FAQ.
I'd appreciate some general advice if you have stuff saved anon.
>>
>>1449979
I'll create a LINE group towards the end of October for all the November people to join
>>
I'm getting 2 weeks holiday this year and i'm thinking about checking out japan on november, i'm particularly interested in visiting the countryside and checking out nature/hiking so i heard Hokkaido is a good destination, how's it going to be weather wise? i heard it might be too cold so any suggestions?
>>
>>1450774
>hokkaido
No, don't do this. Sure it's great but there are far easier places to go to like Nagano, Gifu prefecture(takayama, Gero, etc), or the mountains past nara.

You'll wast 11 hours at least on a train to get there from tokyo. Gifu has the Japanese alps, easy to access via cheap buses from takayama that take you to the trails and run basically all day. You'll also be close enough to go to places like Kyoto, Osaka, and return to Tokyo in a time frame that isn't you sitting on a train or wasting money on plane tickets to get back and forth. Nagano is like 1 hour by train out of tokyo, has good trails, trains to get quickly to Matsumoto, or head deeper into the mountains
>>
>>1450781
Thanks alot, how would you suggest a 2 week itinerary to be? is there possibilites to do multi-day hiking and possibly camping/staying in cabins in those hiking areas?
>>
File: IMG_20180430_140934.jpg (2.24 MB, 3968x2976)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>1450782
Would not suggest camping in November to be quite honest with you anon, especially that late in the mountains as most will be getting some snow then. I would say do something like this

>3-4 days in tokyo, just get it out of your system if never been
activate 7 day JR pass
>first or second train to Nagoya, then Hida express(?) to Takayama
Stay here 4 days
>go to Kyoto/Osaka 3 days, take last train to Tokyo before pass expires
Kyoto has some cool mountains to the north with shrines and what not, Osaka is a good place to stay and go see nara and what not.
>arrive back in tokyo
>2 Days in Nagona via bus
>late bus back to tokyo
>1 final day in tokyo to get any souvenirs you need

Though you could do 7 days up and down the Hida express line, tons of mountains and hiking places. Just keep in mind, likely to snow. Tons of cool little trails all over; I just jotted down something that would let you see the most of japan in 2 weeks
>>
>>1450785
Again thanks alot that helps me put the plan more into concrete ground, any particularly recommended trails to hike?
>>
>>1450788
None that I can easily type lol, I know the hostel I stayed at in Takayama. Kay's I believe it was, had a ton of maps, brouchers and how too about getting on a bus to explore the mountains and stuff. 24/hr bike rental was like 600 yen as well
>>
>>1450774
>>1450781
Hokkaido is far easier accessed by plane. Probably cheaper too, for that matter.

Personally I wouldn't go there just because it honestly sounds a lot like a Japanese version of where I already live, but if you're really into hiking and skiing and stuff like that its the place to go.
>>
>>1450792
Even then it really isn't the cheapest destination, and that time of year you're going to be chancing a good amount of bad weather there.
>>
>>1450790
Ok, do you think 2 weeks is stretching it for that route or should i keep it like that way? (was thinking if i have extra time i would visit hong kong on the way so if i shave 3 days off from japan i would spend them in HK)
>>
>>1450745
I'm glad you liked it. He's my favorite artist and I was planning on going to the big gallery, but found a flyer for that and went there instead because the train would be expensive.

>>1450747
Glad you enjoyed it, I'm just praying the sticker I got doesn't get crushed.
>>
>>1450796
There's loads of hiking options throughout the country so you could jump over to another area if you feel like two weeks in one spot would be excessive. You could do a ton of hiking on the pilgrimage trails around Mt Koya and the Kumano Kudo shrines for instance.
>>
File: IMG_20180430_122312.jpg (1.87 MB, 3968x2976)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>1450796
I did a 10.5 day trip last time it was basically this
>Land in NRT 14:30, get to Tokyo/hostel 1600ish
>go around Akihabara take some photos
>head to shibuya around 1800
>snap photos of some things, have somefood
>19:45/20:00 head to shinjuku
>Drink in golden Gai and take pics when all the neon lights are up
>day 2 Go to Taito, hit up the Temple, Ginza see the tower, pics of the palace, few other places, go to drink a bit but call it an early night.
>First thing train to Nagoya->takayama
>2 full days in takayama, 1 Day trip to Hida-osaka/Gero/Kanayama, 1 day trip to Hida Hosoe/Sugisaki/Furukawa
>first train to Nagoya to Kyoto, See a few sites, late train to Osaka, Get some night life in
>Nara Next day, back to Osaka a few stops along the way, hit Kobe, night life in Osaka again
>last day pass is active, first train to Kyoto Full day there, last train that can get my to Tokyo
>2 Days in Tokyo to grab what I missed merch wise, Day trip to Kamakura snake way back up seeing Yokohama and Kanazawa
>.5 catch afternoon train after lunch to NRT, fly out

Guess it was technically 11 but depends how you split half days.
>>
>>1450802
The pilgrimage trails sound interesting and exciting, what are the trails that i shouldn't miss during my trip do you think?
>>
>>1450808
I honestly couldn't tell you from personal experience, I just know I've seen them promoted as excellent hiking trails with a range of difficulties. It's something I'll probably look into if I make a second trip, for my first one I want to hit some of the bigger stuff.
>>
I am going to fly to tokyo in a few weeks (arrival and departure both from here)

Given that I only have 6 days (5 is you don't count me beeing jet-lagged on the first day) and I have never been to Japan: How many days would you plan to stay in Tokyo vs. visit other places? Kyoto and Osaka come to my mind.
Budget is not the limiting factor here. I just fear that visiting 3 cities (1-2 days each) might be too many.

Asking for a friend.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1450735
Working Holiday, and I do nothing for a living, which is why I'm so bothered about cost.
>>
Should I put 草食男子 in my tinder bio as a semi-serious joke, or would it be in poor taste?
>>
>>1450851
>草食男子
No
>>
>>1450841
5 days is a stretch to do all of this, I would focus on Tokyo area, and maybe do a day trip to a nearby location.
Anyway though, with 5 days definitely dont visit Osaka, Depending on the things that interest you. If you dont find Tokyo tourist attraction interesting you can go to Kyoto for a few days, But honestly with 5 days I'd hate to waste anytime on transportation.
>>
Any of you autists going out tonight?
>>
>>1450859
How do I make it clear I don't want to fuck them?
>>
>>1451045
By not fucking them. Its not something you say off the bat. It would be the same as telling them you wont murder them just to be clear that you are not going to murder them.
>>
>>1451045
Most people aren't even clear when they're actually trying to fuck someone, so you don't gotta do shit.

>"You wanna come in for some coffee?"
>"Aren't you gonna invite me in for some coffee?"

You, being the non-fucker that you are, you don't have to prove yourself, because you've got nothing to prove.
>>
>>1451045
Don't fuck them, ez
>>
>>1451051
>>1451054
>>1451056
I am very bad with women, but have also gotten qt matches which is why I asked.
>>
>>1451058
Compared to the average Japanese man, you're goddamn amazing with them.
>>
>>1451061
I'll take your word for it. And is having a pun in japanese a bad idea? I guess pillow word might also be an appropriate description.
>>
>>1451062
If you DON'T want to fuck, then just be straightforward and write just that and what you are actually looking for.
Simple, right?
>>
Any recommendations for hostels? GRIDS looks cool, just checking what's around on google right now.
>>
>>1451094
Just sleep on a bench.
>>
>>1450310
I'm sure most people check out the links in the OP for japan travel advice, questions and such, but it's also nice to actually talk to people here and get some opinions on things. What else would you have people talk about or ask in a Japan travel thread on the travel board?? kek
>>
>>1451094
Also looking for hostels and considering GRIDS.
Though idk if it's worth it, or if I should find a hostel $10/night cheaper to save a little more for food/drinks/nights out and stuff.
>>
>>1451094
Grids is best for first timers, it is very secure, key card to get into everything, free lockers, and cameras everywhere. I stay in the one closest to akihabara station. Keep in mind more business folk crash there at night, than the one a bit south of it.

I recommend the one to the south of the akihabara one, cool bar tender from the USA works there will help you out a lot on some tips. Kinda more "party'ish" but still clean and quite in the dorms
>>
>>1451135
There's three Grids in Tokyo though. One on the canal due east of akiba, one several blocks to the north, and a third several blocks south in Nihonbashi. I would have thought Nihonbashi would be the quiet one, considering its the buisness district and there isn't a whole lot of nighttime options in that part of town.
>>
>>1450849
never heard of a working holiday before, do you know any Japanese or how do you plan on working there? Sounds like something i would be really into if I can't do a semester abroad
>>
I’m going from Tokyo to Tokushima today for the Awa Odori festival. Where could I leave my carry on suitcase during the festival? I don’t have any accommodations booked
>>
So i'm kind of a night owl, and I feel like i'll probably like to be out doing stuff in Tokyo late nite, like until 1am or so.
How do you do that and manage getting back to your hostel every night, without relying on taxis/uber and stuff? Especially if the trains stop at like 11:30?
>>
>>1451184
> do you know any Japanese
Not much.
>how do you plan on working there?
I plan on working there after NEETing and learning the language untill I can get some job. If my apartment isn't too expensive, then I could even potentially be a NEET for the whole year, and just work for everything that costs beyond basic living.
This is why the prospect of the really cheap rooms in kyoto is so appealing to me.

The working holiday is practically made for this. A one year holiday, where you can also earn some money.
A lot of people temporarily stay on farms and the like, which have special programs for this.
Others just do some job they find. There is an agency which will help you find work, and I guess you could even ask Hello Work.
It's a pretty good opportunity. You just need at least around 3000 dollars saved though, so that you can support yourself in the initial months without a job.
It's better than a semester abroad, since you can really focus on traveling and doing whatever you want, while with a semester abroad you will have a fixed schedule, and an area where you will have to be around.
Meanwhile I can literally just do anything I want to.

>>1451196
You don't.
If your apartment is in the city, you might be able to get around with a bicycle.
Otherwise you will have to have a car or maybe a scooter.
>>
>>1451200
What visa lets you reside in Japan without a job? Don't you need spousal visa or permanent resident to do that?
I'm pretty sure if you have a job in Japan and get fired, you only have a small grace period to find another or else be deported (again barring spousal visas and permanent residents)
>>
>>1451201
How about you read the post I replyied to?
>>
>>1451201
It seems like USAmericans are not allowed to do a working holiday in Japan though.
Sucks for you I guess, but it can't be helped.
>>
>>1451200
Does Tokyo have any bike/scooter rideshare things (like Lime in the US), where you unlock it w/ an app and then pay a small fee per minute of use?
>>
File: lain_cave_1666.jpg (38 KB, 350x307)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
I'm supposed to be going to Japan in the end of September.
I'm hit with major anxiety and can't even commit to buying the plane tickets, let alone booking places to stay.
How the fuck do I force myself to just fucking do it?
>>
>>1451216
Tokyo has a bike share system called Minato, don't know anything about its extents though.

Depending on where you're staying that's still potentially a really fucking long bike ride if you're going across the yamanote loop or similar. Probably easier just to crash in a capsule hotel or a manga cafe until the first train.
>>
File: 1511125924554.jpg (1.22 MB, 2160x2704)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Never been but planning a trip.
Is it better to go alone or should I bring a friend?
Right now, I'm going alone.
>>
>>1451218
Who cares? If you can't even press a few buttons on the screen how do you think you will fare in a country where you will know nobody?
Either go, or stay at home.

>>1451223
Bring a friend 100%.
>>
>>1451218
Sounds like you're pretty fucked bub
>>
File: 1511125620529.jpg (400 KB, 756x1080)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
>>1451226
I was thinking solo could be a fun and exciting experience to be alone in a foreign land. I've never been out of the country before, I suppose it could get lonely though, having no one to talk to for 2 weeks.
>>
>>1451218
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s3TOndDf5s
>>
File: t3_5j29uc.gif (1.62 MB, 960x720)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB GIF
>>1451228
>>1451226
Harsh.
But I guess honest. I'll figure it out.
>>
>>1451229
If you go with a friend just make sure you have a solid itinerary locked up or are flexible enough to be fine splitting for stretches, otherwise if you're both indecisive or want to do different things you're going to be eating up time. Either way is way better than with a larger group though.
>>
>>1451232
Its kinda sad that he went from what seemed to be a genuine attempt at motivation to all the crazy that came after. Child stars I guess.
>>
>>1451236
Honestly the trip is going to be so soon, it'll be one person at most, and even they might not be able to since I've decided so last minute to make it happen.
Unfortunately I cant put it off as I have an upcoming medical expense thats going to cost me a lot of money. Its kinda now or never. (Or rather many many years in the future)
>>
>>1451229
I'm also going alone later this year for 2 weeks, and have never been out of my home country either.
Kinda anxious about it, but excited. It's going to put me way out of my comfort zone, but hey, new experiences man. Gotta grow somehow.
>>
>>1451242
When are you going??
>>
>>1451244
november desu
>>
>>1451248
Really?
Why in such a cold month?
Any plans for the colder months there?
Mine is either going to be the end of September or early October.
>>
>>1451249
Mostly for autumn a e s t h e t i c s

hehe
>>
>>1451256
Thats actually why I was going in September / Early October.
Is November a more mild month in Japan more suited to the Autumn colors? I love the Autumn colors even in the US, but they don't last very long, and feels inconsistent each year. So I figure if I go too early itll feel nice enough to do things, and if I nailed it at the right time then I get to see the nice color changes.
>>
>>1451259
Unless you're in Sapporo or way up in the mountains you're going to be too early for fall colours. In places like Kyoto it doesn't happen until mid-November or so.

That said, October is a great sweet spot for visiting since it intersects comfortable weather with (relatively) less busy sites. September is still the tail end of typhoon season and November produces a whole new wave of Chinese touristsbig because of the aforementioned fall colours.
>>
File: 1500428061046.gif (1.72 MB, 540x540)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB GIF
>>1451262
I might push my trip back to October November then... Going to go watch the movie that inspired me to make the trip again and then do some more reading on times to go.
Thanks for the info Anon!
>>
File: YL3YBIn.png (833 KB, 1277x718)
833 KB
833 KB PNG
>tfw not even trannies match with me
Should I have written my bio in English? Is there a benefit to looking illiterate?
>>
File: 1330204006239.png (54 KB, 248x248)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>observe the online ticket release for the Ghibli Museum this weekend
>every September time slot sells out within a few hours

Fuck, I'm gonna have to get right on top of that shit next month.
>>
File: 1514418068193.jpg (589 KB, 2500x1425)
589 KB
589 KB JPG
About how long does it take to wander through:
1. Akihabara
2. Harajuku
3. Shibuya
4. Shinjuku

Assuming I'm in no rush and want to just kinda take a look at pretty much everything they have, should I budget like, a whole day for each, or just a few hours, or what?

Are any of these better explored/experienced during a specific time of day? (i'd guess night for shinkjuku). Or is it worth checking them out both night and day? etc.etc.
>>
>>1451135
Nihonbashi?
>>
>>1451281
Day for each works, but if you're really into otaku stuff you might wanna put more time for Akihabara, since looking through all the stores can take good while. If you just wanna see general stuff, Mandarake and Akiba Cultures Theater are great places to visit.
If you want to buy more doujins, check out Toranoana C(A is for recent dude oriented stuff and B is for ladies) and if you want to buy merchandise for cheap check out Suruga-Ya and Liberty shops that are further down the street past Toranoanas and Don Quiote.
Best time to go to Akihabara is during work/schooldays when Japanese are at school or busy with jobs. The place is never not crowded, but bit more space is always nice.

...I could name bunch of differet otaku shops, but you probably don't wanna hear only about those.
>>
Going to Japan for 4 weeks, whats the best way to portion the trip to get the most out of it?
>>
>>1451297
>>1451281
Also, if you are not interested in anything in Akihabara itself, I'd suggest instead going to Nakano Broadway. The shops are smaller and you won't be able to find as much stuff, but the layout is much better and easier to look through.
>>
I'm in Fukuoka right now and and I see touts approaching me, asking if I want to come into their brothels. I thought most places don't accept foreigners? Did something change within the last few years?

I'm tempted to be honest but it seems kinda sketchy.
>>
>>1451373
I can think of two scenarios.

>A
One of those places where they lead you to a room, show you a menu of various products/services, and when you're done, they overcharge you. And when you try to escape, they have a few big guys blocking the exit until you pay up.

>B
A low-end brothel with foreign women (Chinese, Filipino, Thai, etc.) working in them. Japanese brothels don't want foreigners touching their women, but they probably don't give a shit about what happens to imports.
>>
I’m going to Whales of August in Shibuya, where they will make a cocktail themed around your favourite film

Has anyone ordered the Boku no Pico? What did it taste like?
>>
>>1449467
like the other guy said, decent plan.
If you like weebshit, specifically Girls und panzer you may be interested to know the ankou festival is on during the time you are in japan and it is very easy to get to oarai from tokyo (and worth a visit, telling from experience).
Will also be back in japan late november to mid december (went same time last year) and might post here for a meetup or join that guys group if he makes it
>>
About to head up to Fushimi Inari alone and at night. Any takers!?
>>
>>1451280
>tfw got tickets for mid september 2 months ago
>>
>>1451575
Don't they only go on sale the preceding month?
>>
>>1451578
overseas authorized agents sell up to 3 mos in advance (albeit with a $7 service fee)
>>
>>1451579
>look up agents
>oh hey Canada has one, guess I'll just use this instead
>every single time slot of every single day is completely sold out through to December

Awesome.
>>
>>1451591
Guess you'll just have to go to a museum about gay ass Japanese history or religious art or something retarded gay like that. ( ´༎ຶㅂ༎ຶ`)
>>
>>1451606
...or buy a ticket right when the general release is put on sale on the 10th?
>>
>>1451281

I just went to Tokyo and did all of those places in a day. I'd suggest going through them pretty quick to get a feel of each place.

All of those will take significantly longer to go through than harajuku, and personally, I'd almost suggest just skipping harajuku all together. It was a huge tourist trap.

If you're into anime I'd say Akihabara will definitely take you the longest. The walk from Shibuya to harajuku is really pretty. I'd honestly reccomend exploring the city and trying to get lost, cuz there's so many beautiful hidden nooks in Tokyo. Like, you'll be walking along a street and then all of a sudden theres a hidden shrine with trees and shit between two buildings.

After you sweep through them, just pick out your favorites and then spend the rest of your time going there. Have fun dude!
>>
Anyone going to Tokyo at the middle to end of October? I'm down for going out for a drink and hanging out.
>>
>>1451740
I'll be in Japan from October to mid to November. But I havent planned a route yet.. (From Germany)
>>
>>1451297
If OP wants a fun time in an adult store, I recommens Love Merci as well. I enjoyed the signs and warnings all over the stairs from floor 2 to floor 3 that women were absolutely not allowed and must remain on floor two while their husband/bf browses the onaholes
>>
>>1451767
Why are women forbidden to look at onaholes in this store, exactly?
>>
>>1451781
So that the shy male customers don't get disturbed.
>>
>>1451407
Just a glass of ice
>>
>>1451781
Probably joke reasons rather than actual reasons. M's down the street had no such signage. I found it funny though.
>>
>>1451781
They aren't it's just a joke. I went into a sex store once, had couples shopping int them just fine. The dude took a joke sign for something that was real
>>
>>1451767
>>1451830
M's is pretty good store too, being close to station it's nice and clean.
But both it and Love Merci are easy to find and close to eachother, so if you're into sex-toys or other stuff like that, might as well check out both of them.
>>
>>1451767
Which is the sex shop where they'll give girls discounts for letting them take a polaroid in lingerie/a costume?

Askingforafriend.jpg
>>
>>1451281
Shibuya in the AM, Shinjuku in the PM. You can knock them out in one day, same with Aki and hara
>>
File: Pop_life_department._m's.jpg (3.35 MB, 2848x4272)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
>>1451915
M's. It's very close to Akihabara station's exit, and basically impossible to miss.
>>
>>1451781
The same reason why this southern BBQ restaurant in my town has a sign that reads "No Vegans."
>>
File: 1382305143975.jpg (64 KB, 200x200)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1451297
>tfw constantly finding more things to add to my autismo japan map
>>
>>1451948
Sweet. I want to invite my friend to hang out in Tokyo one weekend and give him foreign-waifu-fantasy boners through seemingly innocent acts like that. :^)
>>
>>1448652
Have a similar question plan on living in JP for 3 months while doing online masters program. Tests are proctored, is there any quiet place with good wifi that is rent able by the hour?
>>
>>1451740
Will be in Tokyo in the third week of October. Don't have a concrete itinerary in mind but I'll almost definitely be checking out the Kawagoe Matsuri on the 20th/21st
>>
>>1452022
I'm sure you can find family restaurants with wi-fi, but there's also internet cafes. Despite lots of people using them, people are pretty mindful of others and don't make too much noise. I even managed to sleep in one two years back.
>>
>>1451948
>anime

hard pass.Not into that shit, it's a fucking rape of art
>>
>>1452083
You are free to have your own opinion, but in this particular case, you might be better off avoiding Akihabara altogether.
>>
>>1452083
If some anime art in store windows is enough to get that kind of reaction from you, I gotta agree with other poster and say that Akihabara wouldn't be a pleasant experience for you at all.
>>
File: 1438413207277.jpg (613 KB, 1920x1080)
613 KB
613 KB JPG
Where is the most fun / interesting / entertaining place to be / to do on a Friday and Saturday night in Tokyo?
>>
File: DSCN0808.jpg (815 KB, 2272x1704)
815 KB
815 KB JPG
What are some good places for youkai related tourism? Outside of Kappabashi.

Including small things like the Lafcadio Hearn Memorial. It's a cute little park is you are near Korea-town in Shinjuku and want to relax with cats.
>>
>>1452101
It depends on your definition of fun and entertaining.
I like to go to roppongi, get pissed and fight local gals.
Most of the thread are degenerates who'd suggest paying for sex under a bridge.
>>
File: sweat.jpg (36 KB, 480x542)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
How's East 57 Hostel? Booked there for a week because it's cheap and close to a train station.
>>1452124
>fight local gals
please explain
>>
>>1452155
One time I got into a brawl with some equally drunk gyaru because someone's boyfriend said something I didn't even understand.
>11/10 would do again.
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (952 KB, 245x180)
952 KB
952 KB GIF
>>1452178
Sadly I doubt any gals will be challenging me to single combat.
>>
>>1451281
Shinjuku is best at ~6 in the morning.
>>
>>1452101
Do you have any friends?

The most basic but pleasant thing to do is just go to izakaya in Kichijoji, Shimokitazawa (RIP) or at a stretch Shibuya.
>>
>>1452222
>Shimokitazawa
What happened?
>>
>>1452225
http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/14151160/
>>
>>1452227
I can't into nip a lot, but aren't there other ways to get there?
I definitely wanted to shop for clothes in shimokitazawa when I'll go in september.
>>
>>1452230
You can still go there. I'm sure you'll be fine. It's not completely dead; I was exaggerating.

But the expectation is that the permanent changes will make it less convenient and less attractive, and that the lengthy period of difficult access due to construction work will have a negative impact in the short-term, from which the area is unlikely to fully recover.
>>
>>1452231
Thanks for the info.
I guess it can't be helped.
>>
>>1452231
Shimo is turning into yet another tourist trap now anyway. It's not some 'hidden gem' anymore if Lonely Planet is encouraging every millennial that visits Tokyo to go there, by the time the Olympics come around it's going to be about as 'authentic' as whatever abomination Harakuju has turned into.
>>
>>1451266
What movie was it, anon?
>>
I'm travelling through Japan soon for the first time, and I was planning on visting Takayama for a few days in between Tokyo and Kyoto. But it seems to take a long time with public transport, ranging from four to ten hours.
Am I missing something obvious here? I never heard about the travel time being this bad to get there. And if not, what's a different place I can visit to see a bit more of Japan's rural side?
>>
>>1452337
Could take the bullet train to Kanazawa (or the thunderbird limited express if you're coming from the Osaka side) and make a daytrip to Shirakawago from there. Typically it makes sense to continue on to Takayama since skirakawago is right in the middle but Kanazawa's rail connections are faster and more straightforward if you're looking to cut back on travel times. The main village is somewhat touristy but there are smaller less busy ones elsewhere too if you want something quieter. Just know that bus connections to them will be a bit more convoluted.
>>
>just landed from japan and now on the connecting flight home
>best trip ever, met up with friends and had a blast

How do you deal with post-Japan depression? I have nothing back where I live, only work.
>>
>>1452337
Bullet train to nagoya, Hida limited express.

It will take about 4 or so hours
>>
File: 13421q3234.jpg (66 KB, 839x522)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1451821
Motherfucker
>>
>>1452472
What were the best aspects of your trip?
>>
>>1452472
>How do you deal with post-Japan depression?

1. By planning my next trip to Japan
2. Planning to purchase a home so that I can install a $3k Toto toilet with seat warmer, variable power bidet, vent, and autoflush
>>
>>1452355
>>1452504
Thanks. I guess I saw that the bullet train didn't stop right there in Takayama and then just stopped looking at it as (part of) an option. I'm going to check out Shirakawago also, I think.
>>
I'm trying to travel on one bag, do hostels normally have towels? Is that an extra charge?
>>
>>1452527
Typically they charge extra if they supply them. Get a large microfiber towel, they pack down really small and dry out quickly
>>
>>1452512
Just dicking around with my friends in Akiba and getting drunk at the hostel.
>>
>>1452221
why is that?

>>1452222
nah i'm doing a solo trip.
>>
File: 1429581406506.jpg (32 KB, 332x512)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1452513
>getting excited about buying a toilet
>>
>>1452628
t. never used a jap toilet
>>
>>1452634
>press water spray button
>hits my ass deep
>get a boner
T-thanks, Japan
>>
>>1452653
I'm kind of afraid to try them.
Like... what if the previous guy had a shitstorm, and the bidet sprayed water on his ass, and then chunks of shit fall onto the bidet. Isn't it possible that it could shoot particles of shit on your asshole?
>>
>>1452659
That is exactly what I fear, too.
>>
>>1452659
Can't you just check it visually? Also, if it works the way I think it does, it should be self-cleaning.
>>
new thread: >>1452691

maybe a little early but w/e
>>
I'm 18, how can I become arm candy for a qt cake?
>>
>>1450324
In 60 days thats all very doable, but are you sure you wouldnt prefer to do like 30 days this time and then come back later and do more time instead of doing literally everything in the country in 1 trip? I honestly wouldn't want to go on a trip longer than a month as everything just starts to blur together and you just forget some of the things you did.
But to answer a few of the questions.
-JR pass is probably a no, your travel times will be too spread out to make good use of it, it will be better to just get regular trains, overnight buses and maybe a couple single shinkansen tickets.
-$50 a day might be tough if that includes accomodation, if its $50 after accomodation that wont be so bad as food is very easy to keep around or under $20 while still eating quite well and everything else would stay within $30 fairly easy most day.
>>
>>1450417
Not sure what question really is, but i can say november and early december are really nice, still lots of autumn and the weather is nice. I have also heard october is very good.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.