[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 15273.2.1523950340.jpg (263 KB, 1466x1920)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
Can I travel to Moscow without the ability of speaking Russian? Do Russians smile at each other?
>>
>>1448766
Russians don't smile, it's considered weak.
>>
>>1448766
Mods need to start deleting threads about Russia. There's clearly an anon obsessed with it.
>>
>>1448774
Dumb excuse, Russia is popping off in tourism interest because USA is advertising it for free.

>>1448766
Yes, Moscow is just as or more english friendly than Rome. Please consider taking frequent train trips as everything is conveniently and cheaply connected by rail. A $50 dollar ticket in europe is $10 in Russia. Something about them loving trains or something.
>>
>>1448766
>Can I travel to Moscow without the ability of speaking Russian?
Yes, it's easy, but take some time to learn the Cyrillic alphabet so you can read the street and metro signs, it's very easy. Best apps to download at the Yandex taxi app and the metro app, both of which you can use in English.
>>
File: kgb_pepe_wojak5.jpg (54 KB, 650x412)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>1448766
>Can I travel to Moscow without the ability of speaking Russian?

Probably, but it wouldn't be smart.

Learn some basic words and the Cyrillic writling atleast.
>>
>>1448766
Russians don't smile at strangers on the street. But we smile with friends or when something is funny. Pretty basic and simple to understand, nobody smiles all the time like braindead americans.

spasiba - thank you
suka - bitch
privyet - hi
nyet - no
da - yes
poka - bye
pazhalsta - please

Learn to pronounce these words and some common phrases, and familiarize yourself with Cyrillic alphabet. People in Moscow will either be super eager to help you and speak English to you, or be annoyed. Don't take it personally.
>>
>>1450003
Isn't it considered impolite to use 'privyet' unless you're already friendly with people? I know most people will forgive a foreigner if they're making an honest attempt, but I get a bit autistic about these sorts of things so I spent ages learning how to pronounce 'zdravstvuite' and 'dobor dan' (not sure about spelling on that one) and used those instead.
>>
>>1450045
No, nobody really cares, although if you're trying to be polite, or speaking to a stranger, people typically use здpaвcтвyйтe, or здpaвcтвyй (which is pronounced "zdravstvuy"). If you're a foreigner especially, nobody will care. Although if you're able to pronounce здpaвcтвyйтe more power to you.

Also it would be more like "dobre den".
>>
Why do Americans always ask this? You can go literally anywhere in the world and not speak the language. At worst you have to do some pointing or random selection off menus. Big cities like Moscow English will be everywhere.
>>
>>1450053
Yeah it took a while to learn how to say здpaвcтвyйтe, can't believe you have such a complicated way to say hello. For reference though, would a Russian ever say "privyet" to somebody they didn't know (e.g. shop assistant, waiter)?
>>
>>1448959
what's the value of knowing the alphabet if you don't understand the meaning of the words being made by the letters?
>>
>>1450068
So you'll be about to figure out the name of metro stations (even though there is English signage) and, more importantly, the street names. So when you see "Apбáт" you'll know you're on Arbat street.
>>
>>1450068
Does it help in France, not knowing French, to at least be able to read the name of the street you're on and transmit this as sound? Can you not fathom that having some idea that тeлeфoн sounds like "telefon" might be helpful?

Utterly brainlet post. I'm actually surprised you were able to boot up a computer, select the correct programme to get on to the internet, come onto this board and sort a captcha.
>>
>>1450068
As long as they're names of locations/streets/etc it's pretty useful. It can be said the same for Japan as the less tourist trap locations have only the kanji and the furigana.
>>
>>1450055
Eh, not really. Signs and such aren't translated to English in Moscow, for the most part.

>>1450056
Not really, no. Здpaвcтвyйтe would be the way to go in that case. Although if someone did say privyet instead, nobody would bat an eye.

Think of здpaвcтвyйтe as "hello", and пpивeт as "hi".

>>1450068
мeтpo is metro. You can guess what words mean if you are familiar with Cyrillic, even if you don't remember out to pronounce or spell them.
>>
>>1450131
Oh no. Without translated signs OP will be fucked? How will he get by in just context, symbols and matching symbols with the one on the map!?!?
Like I said you may end up ordering some mystery meals. But that is part of the fun.
>>
>>1448766
Yes.
Only if they know each other.
>>
File: flashing_eye_frog_2.gif (445 KB, 640x480)
445 KB
445 KB GIF
>>1450055
>You can go literally anywhere in the world and not speak the language.
>>
>>1450221
Chinks do it all the time
>>
>>1450221
That's true though.
>>
File: 1530225693314.jpg (667 KB, 1456x1869)
667 KB
667 KB JPG
>>1450221
I've spent most of my adult life backpacking around the world, other than a few phrases like "Thank you," "Please," and "Where is the bathroom?" I've never learned any language.

You can go all around the world using your body language to send the right message
>>
>>1450427
yeah I agree with this. When I want something I try to look intimidating and when I want to shit I go up to someone and say "I need make pee pee poo poo" because although they might not understand me most languages have words like caca/poop in them. Whenever I feel horny around a beautiful woman I just whip my dick out, hope she notices and proceed to have sex. When I sense someone is uncomfortable I get closer to them and make calming sounds. I usually opt for the sound "oooo" since it's very calming.
>>
File: 1534026175206.png (15 KB, 640x606)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1450427

Yeah if you want to be manipulated and treated like the chump you are.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.