[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 57 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest - Submit Designs Here

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: maxresdefault.jpg (241 KB, 1280x720)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
Why is the cost of living in Australia so high?
>>
>>1460099
Because it's one of the most desirable countries in the world to live in
>>
>>1460099
To punish Australians
>>
A few reasons:
>wealthy politicians who don't give a damn about the interests of the working and middle class
>overseas and chinese investors buying up residential and agricultural land
>aforementioned politicians giving tax breaks to large businesses and fucking up public infrastructure programs
>failure to capitalise on the mining boom
>little habitable land, so limited space in our urban areas and accordingly high housing prices
>government implemented a retarded general tax on consumer goods and services, effectively increasing prices by 10%
>huge influx of skilled migrants from india and china, effectively denying jobs to young Australians and contributing to low wage growth and economic stagnation
On the other hand, it's a great country to visit, but steer clear of most of melbourne and sydney (especially circular quay). if you want to see some of the real Australia, I would recommend hiring a 4WD or SUV and driving out west. If you start in sydney, check out the Blue Mtns and then head further out towards dubbo or wagga if you want to see some proper red soil country. If you visit VIC, bear in mind that the coast road is infested with foreign tourists and should be avoided at all costs.
>>
>>1460099
>Why is the cost of living in Australia so high?
If you're actually earning an Australian salary it's not that high, other than the cost of houses. The VAT/GST is 10% which is around half of what it is in most European countries.
>>
It's an inhospitable rock of desert as far away from civilization as possible.
>>
>>1460131
Reminder that urban Australia is the real Australia and there is nothing you hicks can do about it.
>>
>>1460235
>when you're a chinaman
>>
>>1460099
if you have a job and dont live in the most expensive parts of melbourne and sydney its fine.
>>
disproportionately high number of single story housing for a developed country, building out instead of up to keep boomers rich
>>
>>1460131
>steer clear of most of melbourne and sydney
Why? Melbourne is a fantastic city that has a lot to offer. Sydney seemed a bit dull to me, it's a pretty place but I'm glad I lived in Melbourne for a bit and not Sydney.

I do agree that people should see the outback. My favourite part of the whole country was the NT and WA. Such stunning landscapes in Purnululu and Karinjini plus of course Uluru and Kings Canyon.
>>
File: roadkill roo.jpg (160 KB, 999x549)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>1460099
>>1460235
Sydney – 2 days
Parkes - 1 day
Brisbane – 3 days
Cairns – 3 days
Townsville - 3 days
Alice Springs -3 days
Coober Pedy -1 day
Adelaide - 1 day
Melbourne -2 days
Kangaroo Island
Sydney 2 days
What do you think of my trip?
I'm leaving November 22; transportation and accommodation is already booked I've got about a month off
>>1460383
To be honest, I've struggled to find much to do in Melbourne that can't be done better everywhere else in Australia. I'm open to suggestions though. Good party spots of just places with a clean WC and bubbler
>>
Urban Sprawl. Boomers unironically want to live the white-gated fence dream to have a house with a front and backyard. Means more land needed which inflates costs massively because there's barely any to go around when these houses only hold 2-5 people, in comparison to apartments which could hold way way more. It's like Hong Kong, but the total opposite.
>>
>>1460415
The thing about Melbourne is that it's not a place you visit and are like wow it has better museums than Paris or more interesting architecture than Madrid or Amsterdam. It's all about the lifestyle there. It's a really cool city and it doesn't have to pretend to be something it isn't. It's the most hipster place in the world, it can be in a pretentious way but also you can avoid it find the cool hipster spots.

So many drinking places, I hate giving recommendations as everyone has different preferences with that.
>>
>>1460450
>I hate giving recommendations as everyone has different preferences with that.
I understand, but I'm really open minded so I'll take all suggestions, and I don't mind trying different types of venues.

Sounds like Melbourne might be a good place for me to start my Couchsurfing, is this true?
>>
>>1460099
They haven't had an economic recession in something like 30 years. Their consumer debt levels are among the highest in the world. Basically, since Crocodile Dundee, the stars have aligned so that you had better take a giant loan to own a bit of Australia before it becomes too expensive.

This has been driven (as I understand it) by ~10 closely held companies with interest in copper/gold/coal/livestock. The incestuous familial business relationship have basically sent everything from 90% of the continent to China. People live on the coasts and if their constant bitching about internet speeds is to be believed, there is a chronic under-investment in infrastructure. At some point the Chinese used all of the commodities to do other profitable things and decided Australia might be a nice place to launder/store their money. Real estate prices exploded and Chinese property developers now bitch slap local governments in urban areas when they want to deploy their capital.

...so basically Australia is pic related getting spitroasted by 2 Chinese dudes while they write 99 year trade contracts on her back. Everyone else either wrings theirs hands in cuckolded angst. Some bitch on 4chan about digeridoos Abos drinking kerosene while claiming state subidies. A few own enough property and are happy enough to lick any of the spilt Chinese semen. I'm not sure what the farmers think about the people they show up to pick bananas on visas...but probably want sell the bananas to be able to lap up some cum in Sydney.
>>
>>1460463
Australia is originally Chinese clay. Ancient maps and documents support this claim despite what insolent Westerners say. Why so hesitant to join the Middle Kingdom again?
>>
File: rinehart-2_3283673b.jpg (105 KB, 620x387)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1460463
Forgot it
>>
Because it's a long way from most production centers and its population is tiny. Tiny, starving North Korea has a larger population than Australia.
>>
>>1460451
I think the issue with couchsurfing there is that so many hippies live in the city that it's overwhelmed. I don't know, ever tried hosting or surfing unfortunately.

My favourite place in town was Sister Bella. It's a hipster place in an alley often hidden by dumpsters. If you want a standard pleby place but with a good view of the city go to ABC or Fathers Office. If you want a place that has the weirdest as fuck vibe go to Fad (I hate the place but my friend loved it). If you're 18-24 and want to hit on backpacker chicks go hang out in the bar at United Backpackers. Then there are the places outside of the city centre, Welcome to Thornbury is my favourite. Lots of bars near St Kilda but I hated that place and the vibe of it so I rarely went. Then there are places where you take a girl to drink, Transit rooftop bar is right on Federation square, good place to people watch, there's a place called Cookie that has a rooftop bar with a nice view of the city, oh and any of the places on the Yarra river, but those are all more expensive and just places to "people watch and be seen". Oh and if you drink on Mondays there's a place called European Beer Cafe that does half price beers and it's worth going on Mondays, they also have really good food specials for most of the week, and they have a rooftop patio as well. Otherwise I went to cheap shitty places most of the time, it wasn't great but my friend were fun to hang out with. I will never have as much fun in my life as I did living in Melbourne.
>>
>>1460463

>Some bitch on 4chan about digeridoos Abos drinking kerosene while claiming state subidies

This. There are 4-5 X more chinese here than abos, but urbanite aus/pol/ers like to single out the natives.
>>
>>1460804
That's because the beta urbanites likely settled for a Chinese gf and want to protect their egos.
>>
>>1460509
Quality post m8 thanks.
Im more of a wine guy, but I appreciate the info.
>>
>>1460415
>Alice springs
Be careful. Don't agitate the locals, unless you want to get stabbed.
>>
>>1460235
Urban Australia is like the cut price version of Europe
>>
>>1460415
>parkes

wew lad. The elvis festival is in january m8
>>
god abandoned us
>>
>>1461602
Im going to see The Dish, festival will not have begun yet so I'll have to settle for Vegas or Hawaii when I want to see The King
>>
NYC native here, will I find Melbourne's prices even worse than here?
(taking the currency exchange into account)
>>
>>1463329
The US dollar is strong, but the Aussies jack up the price of everything so good conversion is irrelevant.
>>
Lived in Melbourne all my life. Ask me anything.
>>
>>1463382
Where's the best place to surf and how does it compare to Sydney in this regard?
Have you ever visited the mall. You know That Mall.
>>
>>1463382
Do you ever visit Geelong? What's your favourite radio station?
>>
>>1463382
What's your favourite vegan restaurant
>>
>>1463382
Should I go to st Kildas beach today or nah?
>>
>>1463382
What's the best petrol refueling station in and around Melb? One with snacks.
>>
>>1463388
There's no good surf beaches near the actual city itself. I would not get in the water anywhere in the city, it's dirty af.

Brighton Beach is accessible with public transport if you're staying in the cbd. If you're keen to come to Melbourne and don't have the time/want to travel go surf there. The beaches you see in the pro circuits are all 1-2 hours away from the cbd.

In Sydney you at least have Bondi if you want to brave the tourists but Cronulla is a dedicated surf beach. Melbourne doesn't have the strong surfie culture sydney and brisbane have. Too many hipsters.

idk if the mall is something I'm too young to remember or what (23yo) more details would help.
>>
>>1463397
It's sunnyish but still cold. If the wind is coming off the beach you'll be cold. Depends where you are and what you want to see in Melboure. How long are you here for?
>>
>>1463392
Find a vegetarian Indian restaurant imo. There's a few in King St. I like but I can't remember names.

People say Vegie Bar is the go-to vegan place in Fitzroy but imo overpriced af Their vegan sung choi bao is amazing but you will spend a fuck ton

I'm not vegan but Asian/Indian restaurants are better value than your cookie-cutter cafes and burger joints serving all the same shit for people to take photos for instagram.

$12-16 for a burger without chips (fries) is the average for anyone reading. Spend your money doing stuff and not eating out a ton imo. If you can go to a supermarket and buy bread rolls and something from a deli you'll save hundreds during your stay. The later in the day you go

If you want cheap food/veg go to Vic Market around 2-5 and haggle with vendors wanting to just move stuff. You will get amazing deals on fresh fruit/veg.
>>
>>1463390
Once, really rich suburb/city but less to do than Melbourne.

Triple M Gold 104 are alright. Nobody is really blasting good new rap/rnb that I like so it's normally podcasts or playlists for me.
>>
>>1463399
They are all magical places full of wonder and joy but the ones in outer melbourne which serve as truck stops have a whopping 3 food chains in them. Can't compare to US highways unfortunately.

My reddit spacing if probably making some people mad
>>
>>1463434
Actually, there's a united (i think) on the intersection for alexandra parade and nicholson st that usually has really cheap unleaded. Go there but not in peak traffic time.
>>
>>1463426
Been here for a week, gonna stay for another. Just had a cold and expected to go there in just a longsleeve shirt but I'm gonna rock a sweater now. Asked my roommates if they wanted to come with me and they agreed so it's not a question of whether or not anymore.
>>
>>1463430
I'm gonna try gopals today or tomorrow. Should have vegan options as well.
>>
>>1463442
Yeah always wear layers. What have you been doing so far?
>>
>>1463447
Caught a cold 3 days after my arrival but despite this I strolled around the city going where my feet would lead me most of the time. Enjoyed sunshine in parks whenever I could and sorting out my SIM card , bank account and so on. I pretty much just kept it to the north and south of the river in the city center.
>>
>>1463430
I'm taking the piss out of you because you're a faggot Victorian cunt from vegan central
>>
>>1463444
There's honestly a tonne of vegetarian restaurants in Melbourne.
I like the White Lotus restaurants, they're run by a sort of Buddhist sect/cult that developed a cuisine based on mock meats but which just takes it to another level. They became a chain of frozen vegetarian food suppliers in China but out here they just have a few restaurants.

One, called Gong de Lin, is at 3/264 Swanston St about two doors down from Lonsdale st, 3rd floor. I love their black pepper cutlets.

There's another on the far side of Victoria Market.

>>1463444
>gopals
Easy mode desu, though I find their food boring.
>>
File: 7bqxlrg68ga11.jpg (202 KB, 2048x2048)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>1463476
Muchas gracias mi amigo
>>
>>1463435
Thanks
So not 4pm to 6pm?
>>1463432
Is there an Aussie equivalent to NPR?
>>
>>1463767
Depends on what you want it for but RRR is the 'indie' music station, publicly subsidised or something. The commercial stations are shit of course.

RRR is 102.7FM but maybe only in Melbourne?
https://www.rrr.org.au/

Triple-J is the somewhat tamer 'youth' station, better than the really commercial ones anyway but there are other stations out there. Google.
>>
>>1460235
I live in Brisbane and still think your wrong.
>>
>>1460101
lol
>>
>>1460099
Literally taxes. Everyone gets taxed to death, so they have to raise prices to afford to pay the taxes, so the taxes go up as a percentage of what you pay, and then everyone has to raise prices again. Tax death spiral.

It's exactly the same in the EU and US. Government regulates the shit out of everyone, then taxes them to pay for the cost of the regulations, then adds VAT or sales tax on top of that.

I'm living in one of the less regulated parts of Asia and it's fucking dirt cheap to live here in comparison. In the U.S., a ten dollar lunch is a shitty hamburger and fries. Here it's a fried fish platter with salad, soup, and dessert. My penthouse ocean view apartment is $670/mo, instead of a shitty Seattle studio costing $1500.

Some fucking Canadian kept agitating for the government to raise housing taxes so that the government could implement social welfare schemes for all the people who would lose their houses due to being unable to afford paying the increased taxes. That's literally how retarded Canadians are.
>>
>>1464135
How about the PPP then? A "shitty Seattle studio" at $1500 is half of what a shitty Seattle wage is, right? A Bangkok studio at $400 is 100% of what a bank clerk makes. Forget about poorer people actually having a place of their own. I'm a remote worker in Asia too, and I do not for one second believe that my situation has any bearing on the locals situation.
>>
>>1463767
>>1463990
Great suggestions, I was actuallly looking for my daily dose of BBC---news in a funny accent. But it will be nice to break up my 50 hours of driving with music too, after a while the shows just repeat anyway.

Then again that stretch from Brisbane to Melbourne is going to be so busy I doubt I'll get bored.
>>
>>1463390
>Do you ever visit Geelong?
Geelong is practically a suburb of Melbourne. It's one hour by train. It's reinvented itself from being a boring industrial port city that gave it a poor reputation, and a lot of young families are settling there now. It's close to a lot of beaches and wineries and property is much cheaper than Melbourne. It's really kind of Melbourne in miniature, at like 1/40 size.

>>1463767
>Is there an Aussie equivalent to NPR?
Each major city has two or three subscriber-supported community radio stations that are a mix of different themed programs, mostly music (e.g. in Melbourne RRR and PBS are closer to college radio, and 3CR is more community/politics). If you want intelligent current affairs and topical discussions, Radio National is your best bet.
>>
>>1464303
There are actually rules for suburbs, if you have to drive more than half an hour to reach the big city's center, it's not a suburb.
>>
>>1464307
Sorry if I made you REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE anon. I won't do it again.
>>
Seeing Australian government makes me happy to live in America for now, we're on our way though. Bunch of pc, civilian spying, limp wristed cunts.
>>
>>1464136
if you only work minimum wage, its 15/r if you work service industry, which is a lot of the PNW, its probably closer to 40. But most live with people, so theyre looking at 600-1000(this is upper limit for sure) to live in a house or apartment somewhere. Most single people dont get their own studio there IME, and once its a couple its halved down to about midway in the figure I gave you as well. So yea, its pretty good IMO. They instituted the wage to put people on par with inflation, and prices really haven't gone up.
>>
>>1464307
R E T A R D
>>
>>1464421
Imagine being this delusional
>>
>>1464435
Imagine being this delusional
>>
>>1464650
At least in Australia it's not acceptable to be gay outside of Sydney and Melbourne CBD sweetie
>>
It's half Chinese investment and half worldwide QE
>>
I plan to go in Australia for one month mid-october to mid-november

first step Sydney for 5 Nights
Darwin for 7 Nights Kakada Natioanal park Litchfield National Park. Tropical Atmosphere
.Alice Springs for 7 Nights. Uluru, red center
.Cairns 10 Nights. great barrier reef, daintree forest and Brisbane 2 Nights.

I need an advice for the duration of each stay, if i should specifically lower or increase some in relation to each other. In aparté i'have been offered by a friend to join him to Tokyo for a week during Halloween where i would visit Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka and the karatsu- kunchi festival.
Would it be possible to squeeze it in my australia plan.
>>
>>1460101
kek
>>
>>1464942
How many days in total are you staying abroad?
Formating is soso btw.
>>
31 Nights
>>
>>1464942
Cairns 10 nights? What is justifying this?
>>
>>1464942
>Natioanal park
sickfuck.
>>
Cairns is my favorite place in Australia.
I will take my time to see, to enjoy.
I can dig it.
>>
>>1460131
Tasmania is fucking beautiful as well
t. Sydneycuck
>>
>>1463382
Why is Melbourne so afraid of making more apartment buildings?

Did 10 story low-income housing run over their kids or something?
>>
>>1465285
Because Australians don't want to live like cramped Hong Kong residents, they want to have back yards like suburban burgers
>>
>>1463388
you will want to go to Bells which is an hour and a half West of Melb. you will need to hire a car, then find a board. its pretty busy from the morning since its the only good wave in the state.

maybe u can find a tour or a surf camp
>>
>>1460099
Is there any sort of drug I can take that will me put me asleep for several hours. The flights to Australia are ridiculously long, why can't we bring back the Concorde?
>>
>>1465305
Hong Kong is one thing, but a block from South Africa or Poland is another thing.

It's possible to make it work, but it takes a little innovation.

Like an extended glass balcony or a community garden or something. Just now I noticed how many community parks Australia doesn't have in their cities.

Am I wrong, or can you elaborate?
>>
>>1465316
I can't actually because although I travel a lot I've only ever lived in towns smaller than 80,000 people, the only people who try to raise a family in an apartment are the saddest most destitute people around.
>>
>>1465331
You've been looking in the wrong places.

Coming from a person who lived nearly his whole life in various commie blocks, I can say it's possible that families can grow up in them with no problems. It's another thing if they live in those very small apartments with only one room, one bathroom and one kitchen. All it takes is a bit of organisation.
>>
>>1460099
cost allot to be the best, fucking australia number 1 you dog cunts blaatttttt
>>
>>1460509
Pretty much sums up my half year in Melbs as a 23y/o Eurodude
>>
>>1465311
You can get to Bells by train and bus from Melbs. That's what I did
Don't go anywhere near the bay for surfing, gotta hit the ocean.
>>
>>1460099
Jews.
>>
>>1460415

Honestly, after being in Melbourne now for two weeks I can't wait to get the fuck outta here.
>>
>>1466227
Same time spent, same thoughts. I'm leaving tomorrow. It was a decent introduction to big cities and adult life (baby's first solo trip) but that's it.
>>
I am Australian. Cost of living is comparable to most developed nations but average wage is far higher.
>>
cost of living is about the same as germany but the wages are way higher also the stuff you can buy is better
>>
>>1464942
Darwin isn't that impressive
>>
Anyone have bad AirBnB experiences in Straya?
>>
botany bay
>>
>>1466807
Not really. Stayed with a hoarder hippie in Melbourne which was kinda weird the first day but he was a nice guy
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0RvyAdA8cw
>>
>>1460463
Your country decided to turn its back on the West, so this is the price you pay, and will pay for a century+.
>>
>>1468285
Or maybe the ones with any brains realized which geopolitical sphere of influence they live in, and subsequently stopped their kow tow to the feeble brits and fickle americans.
>>
>>1460415
Bretty gud

>t. Australian
>>
>>1460463
>They haven't had an economic recession in something like 30 years.

>unironically believing the state funded propoganda

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.