[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: download.jpg (8 KB, 329x153)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Anyone fly with WowAir before?

I'm trying to visit friends in India for a month. For whatever reason, airfare is particularly high on the dates I'd like to depart and return. The only reasonably priced choice is WowAir. However, the airline sounds like Iceland's version of Spirit--no in-flight entertainment, no meals and no complimentary bags.

All that seems ridiculous for a flight route that puts up more than 22 hours in the air.

However, I'm a graduate student and not exactly rolling in cash. I'm considering waiting a few more days, to see whether prices decline (trying to leave around December 11 and return to the U.S. on January 6-8). I'll spend a day suffering in public transit-tier seats if need be, but I'd like some feedback from /trv/.
>>
>>1466490
I've flown with them before and they're not bad. You're going to be with a lot of young travelers, and Keflavik airport is basically just filled with a bunch of young American and European travelers.
>>
>>1466490
>I'm trying to visit friends in India for a month.

I won't be worrying about my flight with a destination like that
>>
>>1466500

I've been to India nearly a dozen times in the past five years, so spare me the memes.

>>1466497

Guess I'm just worried about the quality of the standard seats. I've traveled quite a lot and don't mind a lack of amenities, but I don't want to spend a solid half-day feeling like I've just got ass-blasted.
>>
It's as you said, it's cheap but there's nothing on board. Just a shitty seat and lots of young travelers.
It was a 4.5 hour flight and I popped 4mg of ativan so I barely remember anything desu.
>>
>>1466504
>Guess I'm just worried about the quality of the standard seats. I've traveled quite a lot and don't mind a lack of amenities, but I don't want to spend a solid half-day feeling like I've just got ass-blasted.
I gotta tell you that I travel in an overstuffed puffy vest or jacket on long flights, it's like adding memory foam to the seat back. A rolled neck on the vest adds to the neck comfort too.
>>
>>1466510

Might give that a try. For flying as often as I do, I've never given much thought to seat-side amenities.

Puffy jacket seems like it could be helpful.
>>
>>1466490
Pop 2mg of Temesta and wash it down with 2 -3glasses of wine like anyone else and it will be comfy enough.
>>
>>1466490
Also top tip for anyone flying on shitty flights in economy, wear a pair of compression tights.
They keep your legs warm even on the most shit tier fights and keep the blood where it should be. I rather look like a fag then missing sleep.
>>
>>1466490
much better than spirit, seats or much more roomy

t.6'4
>>
>>1466490
I've flown a couple of times and it was fine, I paid for an XL seat which was only something like £25 for an extra 6" pitch so definitely value if it's a reasonable price. Make sure to get all your snacks before you stopover in Keflavik though because you will probably end up in the shitty terminal that only has tiny pizzas for hot food and some shitty sandwiches which are really expensive even for Iceland standards. The staff are fine too, I found them friendlier than on most airlines.
>>
>>1466651
Woah woah woah woah WOAH!
Hold it right there.
I really dig that porridge shit, and eat like 10 of them every time I stop over haha
>>
>complains about flight prices
>flys during literally the most expensive period of the year
But about Wow, its just like any other airline minus the shitty tablet and microwave food. Just get ur own snacks. I've literally never noticed a difference between airline seats. Also smokin icelandic stewardesses
>>
>>1466504
Oh wow look at this guy.
Well then since you're so experienced with India why don't you share the names of some of the places you have stayed because you seem to have a knack for picking the ones that deviate from the norm.
>>
>>1466786
>Icelandic stewardists
Completely underrated comment

And for my flight at least, the seats are larger. I had inches between my knees and the chair in front of me. I’m tall as shit too. Way back I still booked the DL seat though
Worth it.
>>
>>1466490
>I'm considering waiting a few more days
i'd do that. namely because this airline has big financial problems and is right now trying to raise cash with a bond sale. the results of that are said to be announced on friday. there are worries (here in iceland) about a possible failure and the government has been preparing for that since they transport 40% of the passengers in Keflavik so it would be quite a hit to the tourist industry here.
>>
>>1466868
Holy shit, really? They’re like always booked up when I fly them, how in the world are they failing?
>>
>>1466883
Cheap fares and high oil prices (they aren't hedged) and fares haven't increased accordingly because of the high competition. also they've been expanding very fast, leasing new planes and have a high cost of salaries (a local problem here).
Since Wow isn't on the stock market like Icelandair, they rarely give up relevant information so it wasn't known until recently how their situation actually was, when the media got their presentation to investors for this bond sale.
>>
>>1466786

I've actually flown to India, round-trip, for less than $800 in the winter season before.

>>1466809

Why? If I tell you where I've gone, aren't you going to keep blabbering about "hurrr india is full of poo," completely disregarding that not everyone is going to like the same places you like (and vice versa)?

>>1466868

wew

I get paid again on Friday, so I'll just wait until then.
>>
>>1466891
An update regarding wow: they have managed to secure funding for at least 50 million euros so they should be able to operate for at least the next 1-2 years. (this year's loss is expected to be about 27m euros).
>>
>>1466490
Flew to Germany with them twice. Really cheap and standard airline. Keflavik is pricey as all hell (30 usd for a small pizza) so just don't buy shit there and you'll be gucci
>>
>>1466490
There's really no reason to use them anymore. I guess India is one of the exceptions.

KEF sucks and they charge you for a carry-on (this to me is unacceptable behavior from an airline).

Norwegian, Condor and Primera all provide a better service to Europe that is also non stop. But people keep taking WOW.
>>
>>1468346

Even after paying for bags and reserving seats it was still hundreds of dollars cheaper for my gf and I to book flights to Reykjavik. It's my first time on wow tho so maybe it'll be a horror show, we'll find out.

>>1468346
>>
>>1466490
why would you fly to a country populated with pajeets

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.