[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/u/ - Yuri

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 90 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: Lynn-Jenny.jpg (80 KB, 753x539)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
Every been watching a series you didn't pick up for the yuri or were even aware it had yuri, and then bam, two girls kissing.

It's kind of like eating a cup cake a finding out it has a frosting center.
>>
>>2538470
Hina Logi
>>
They did more than kissing and on-screen too.
>>
Nier Automata is a game, but it does have some surprise lesbians that I wasn't expecting.
>>
>>2538536
Too bad 2/3 of the screen time is focused on the Shotashit.
>>
>>2538470
I always lick the frosting off a cupcake first, does that mean I'm a selfish lover?
>>
>>2538547
Yeah I thought 9S was a pretty shitty character for a good chunk of the game.
>>
>>2538555
it makes you a tease.
>>
>>2538557
I like 9S as a character.

What I hate is how he plays.
>>
Yeah Samurai Flamenco I thought the girls were cute all together but then it gets real and BAM true love!
>>
>>2538470
Psycho-Pass kind of built up the lesbian rapist at the girls' school so you saw that coming, but then out of nowhere you see two of the supporting cast lying in bed naked with each other. And then you rewatch the scene where they're introduced an realize the main character was about a minute away from walking in on one of them eating the other out.
>>
File: 39990982_p0.jpg (447 KB, 1087x1096)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
Ika Musume actually. I picked it up because it seemed fun. Did not expect lesbian stalker AND also lots of subtext for better pairings.
>>
File: 1fjjzq.gif (2.81 MB, 360x270)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB GIF
Agent Aika
>>
>>2538470
Shigofumi. Got canon lesbians who got their own episode and subtext between the MC and another girl.
>>
>>2538633
That was a very pleasant surprise.
>>
File: kirakira7.jpg (483 KB, 1280x720)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
They were always going to be shipped, but noone expected they'd actually make it canon.
>>
File: 53655532_p1.jpg (2.44 MB, 2496x3349)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
What I played: Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls

What I expected: Mediocre action spin-off to a mediocre mystery series

What I got: Best written game in the series AND also a practically canon lesbian couple that redeems one of the worst characters.
>>
File: rinsaber.png (890 KB, 800x597)
890 KB
890 KB PNG
>>2538470
It's a VN, but fate/stay night VN, the Rin and Saber scene.
>>
>>2538536
hey anon, want some stubby yuri?
>>
File: DekoShinka013.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>2538470
Do accidental ones count?

What's funny is this is the only real lip to lip contact in the show, despite the fact that the show centers on a het romance. For that matter, for all the hetshit romance KyoAni puts out, this is still the only onscreen kiss they put out in recent years.
>>
>>2538683
Obviously it's a het VN, but I didn't expect Rin to full on fingerbang saber to orgasm before shirou even stepped in to the picture. It was a pleasant surprise, that's all.
>>
>>2538665
No!
>>
>>2538621
>having to rewatch to realize what the lesbians were doing in the introduction episode
Are you dumb or a retard?
>>
>>2538642
Wait what? Precure has canon lesbians that kiss on screen?
>>
>>2538658
OP didn't ask for subtext. At the very least, s/he specified kissing.
>>
File: kirakira28.jpg (115 KB, 800x867)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>2538878
They didn't go that far (at least with the anime, we'll see what happens in the manga), but there's definitely enough subtle hints and well-played interactions that show that it's more than mere subtext, as well as one episode that may as well be considered a confession.

Also the manga artist isn't subtle about their relationship in the least.

>>2538879
Technically OP didn't ask anything, lack of question marks and whatnot, so for the sake of warranting the thread's existence, we're making this a "pleasant surprises" thread.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (912 KB, 693x1025)
912 KB
912 KB PNG
Does Kudelia and Atra marrying each other following Mikazuki's death at the end of Iron-Blooded Orphans count?
>>
>>2538678
Normally I would discount an accidental kiss scene for the premise of this thread, but that show is pretty obvious about the two of them as a love-hate couple in the making.
>>
File: 1417411071018.png (1.6 MB, 600x1411)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>>2538470
I fucking swear there's no way I could ever see this coming when I was playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. Also this >>2538662
>>
>>2538610
no, the director hates gay things.

>>2538878
The Maho manga has a kiss on the screen, but I do not know how to feel about being an official couple in the manga.

>>2538903
no
>>
>>2538959
>no, the director hates gay things.
Yet he made two guys literally marry. That doesn't add up.
>>
>>2538685
Well Rin is canon bi. Basically every ending where she doesn't end up with Shirou opens up a possible yuri end for her. And the way the Nasuverse works there is probably a universe where she's together with Saber.
>>
>>2538997
That would be the only worthwhile universe.
>>
>>2538995
no, he said there was nothing between them. If I think he is an incoherent director, but he had a clear fetish for young girls in relationships with older and married men.
>>
>>2539027
Sounds more like he was trying to save his ass. Nevermind that the fujoshi's don't care, so why should we?
We get on screen girl make outs so that's what I'm gonna take.
>>
>>2539035
It seems that the Fujos were disappointed, but that Anime is one of the reasons why the studio died, it seems that it did not work with the Fujos.
>>
>>2538997
I vaguely remember kind-of serious jokes about how in the original game the Unlimited Blade Works route good ending looked more like Rin getting a harem consisting of Saber and Shirou than Shirou getting a harem consisting of Rin and Saber.
>>
>>2539063
Because that's what it essentially was. Rin's got the pants on in the relationship.
>>
>>2538627
Damn stalker.
>>
>>2539501
cheeki breeki
>>
>>2538470
But who would frost a cake with their butt?
>>
>>2538470
This two is gayer than many yuri couple.
>>
>>2539622
I doubt it.
>>
File: bernissuchalesbo.jpg (123 KB, 631x475)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>2541616
Bern and Lambda are extremely gay, anon is right. Now whether it has any significance is another matter.
>>
File: 5455545.png (1.04 MB, 1024x576)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>2538470
Shinsekai Yori
>>
>>2541767
Wasn't the lesbian relationship revealed before the anime even aired? I recall seeing the love square chart.
>>
File: 1500158566036.png (2.18 MB, 1920x1080)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB PNG
>>2541767
>Shinsekai Yori
I remember some yuri potential when I rewatched it over a year ago but the ending was het.

>>2538662
Disgusting. I don't consider anything with het sex as even remotely yuri.

>>2538470
No. Usually I do some basic research before I try an anime and yuri is a factor for me. Sometimes there's unexpected subtext but no kissing. However, it happened with a movie once, completely unexpected and it blew me away. It was great.

Wait, there is one anime where it happened. Keijo! At first I didn't even try this anime because it sounded incredibly stupid. But it turned out to be extremely great, one of my alltime favorites. Sadly it didn't sell well and after I had to accept that a sequel will be unlikely I tried the manga. And of course there was het so I dropped it pretty quickly. This is not just an outstanding anime and huge surprise but also one of the few anime that are much better than the source material.
>>
>>2541767
>Shinsekai Yori
Wasn't this the show which made the girls straight in the ending and paired them with guys for society sake?
And similiar in the middle of the series paired up the guys with each other and girls with each other for fake romance testing?
That was one of most anti-yuri or even anti-gay anime in the history of animation.
>>
File: baito 3.jpg (3.89 MB, 2827x6433)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB JPG
>>2541813
>That was one of most anti-yuri or even anti-gay anime in the history of animation.
Basically what people call Yuri for 30 years, the Yuri that we like is something recent and what people do not correctly recognize as something good and yes, those shit ends were the norm.
>>
This
>>
>>2541867
Manglobe too late, too late.
>>
>>2541807
>Disgusting. I don't consider anything with het sex as even remotely yuri.
I already said that the only reason I liked it was because I expected nothing but pure het in fate but that scene went way beyond my expectations since I thought they'd just do the usual kiss for a minute at most. The small amount of yuri content was a nice surprise, but I never tried to say it's a yuri VN (it's not at all).
>>
>>2541813
Its more complicated than that. Its a dystopia with society of bisexuals modeled after Bonobos who basically use sex as means of resolving conflict. They were never "made straight" because society encourages literally fucking anyone.

Birth control is also strict, homosexual behavior is encouraged in young people since there is no chance of breeding and only pairs them with het under heavy regulation.

Really the only reason it ended with het is they were the only ones left alive among their friends (because dystopia) when they were both still pining over their respective exes.
>>
>>2541889
>the only reason it ended with het
Isn't this just what matters the most?
The writer behind the show wanted it to end like that and that's all, if they wanted for it to end yuri it would, you don't need to try to explain it, it's just that.
The girl in love with main girl had to end with a guy and give up on her love cause the writer wanted it, it has nothing to do with dystopiai etc. it's just anti-gay or in this case anti-yuri writing where it's shown as a phase and the yuri girl needs to grow up and end with a guy properly. Simple.
It's awful low tier writing but it's just that.
>>
>>2541858
Can someone explain this chart to me? Many entries make zero sense to me.

For example Index and Monogatari are obviously het harems. MariaHolic has a crossdresser as protagonist, go fucking figure. Oniisama has it literally in the very name. Shokugeki no Souma has a male protag, take a guess. Same with Kämpfer and SAO. Haruhi is also in perspective of male MC and so is Sekai Seifuku and Ben-To. I mean what the hell do you even expect? Then there is garbage like Strike the Blood, Kore wa Zombie, HotD and so on that of course would only have any hint of lesbianism if it was for the self insert boy to jerk off to. Then there are beauties like Mahoutsukai where the main girl is literally bought and will marry a man, or Ballroom, again about a man. And don't get me started on Franxx.

I mean what the hell do you people expect? Many of these shows are otaku loser self insert wish fulfillment.

The only genuine yuri bait I have encountered so far was Mai Hime but only because I got tricked into believing that there would be yuri. I don't consider not even half an episode in an otherwise completely het anime yuri.
>>
File: 1514862481318.jpg (101 KB, 920x908)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
I knew nothing about PriPri outside of the title and was pleasantly suprised
>>
>>2538470
>Lynn and Jenny
Am I the only one who was totally uninterested in this? I was watching for Marika and Chiaki and I don't really care about background relationships being consummated.
>>
>>2541928
>Oniisama has it literally in the very name
The original Oniisama e manga is in fact not bait and Nanako isn't in love with him. That delightful bit was added to the anime.
>>
>>2541953
I wasn't entirely uninterested, but yeah. I was more interested in Marika building her harem.
>>
>>2541895
But a yuri end would be a happy end. Shinsekai Yori wasn't a happy end kind of show. Honestly it's rather ambiguous if any of the relationships, het or gay, were really anything like "love" or just a product of social expectations, their biological engineering, and their loneliness.
>>
>>2541895
Also Shinsekai Yori is a dystopian society. I think the writer is saying that a "be gay as a teen, straight as an adult to make babies" society is a fucked up and weird thing. Writing something doesn't mean you agree with it.
>>
>>2541962
Nanako wasn't in love with her Oniisama in the anime either. And the manga still has the Kaoru het plot.
>>
>>2541928
>Ben-To
The final novel of this was essentially a "pick your route ending" thing, which I've never seen before or since.

The lesbian character's ending involves her entering a sham marriage with the protagonist just so that her family will leave her the fuck alone while she continues to gay it up in private.
>>
>>2541895
>it has nothing to do with dystopia
It has everything to do with it. The entire point of dystopia fiction is to portray a perfect society and tear it down by highlighting its flaws. In this case a society where every human being has awesome super-powers and are free from violence because everything is solved by sex regardless of gender. The story doesn't have any anti-gay agenda instead is more focused on how stagnant and complacent the people have become when they were ill-equipped to deal with real threats.

>>2541985
If anything it portrays that breeding and having children that are not regulated by the system leads to absolutely horrific consequences.
>>
>>2541928
>>2541962
>>2541987

I'd count the anime as bait because it spends a lot of time building up the relationship between Nanako and Rei, even to the point of them going on a date, then kills Rei and has a completely gratuitous epilogue where Nanako gushes that she's marrying some random dude.
>>
>>2541987
The last scene in the anime has Nanako talking about loving someone with brown eyes, which from the context seems to be oniisama.

I don't think the Kaoru thing is really bait. She's just a character who turns out to be attracted to guys, despite looking like a butch lesbian. Mariko does grow out of trying to assault girls and falls for a guy, but she was always crazy.
>>
>>2541928
Well, I was the one who did it and it makes sense.
The problem is that we can not consider them Yuri in the least, but other people who do not know anything about Yuri consider a few moments of empty and meaningless fanservice like Yuri, things like kisses or a girl touching another in the bathroom or bed.
I also put in when you have a lesbian character who is clearly going to lose to the mighty MC or something even more stupid.
It is also considered when playing at the same level of normal subtext, but it is still garbage because those moments have no meaning at the end, like Soma or Dagashi.
Yes, all of that is bait at different levels.
I have seen 95% of the graph.
>>
>>2542407
>Nanako gushes that she's marrying some random dude.
It doesn't though? She says she has feelings for someone college age. The japanese she uses doesn't indicate gender.

>>2542432
Considering Oniisama already married Kaoru and was living in Germany at that point, I doubt it?
>>
>>2542485
A show is only bait if it advertises itself as being yuri, or leads you into believing it's gonna have yuri, and then it doesn't. It's not fair to call a show bait if it never made an attempt to bait you in the first place; if you made an unwarranted assumption of yuri, that's on you.
For example, Xenoglossia really shouldn't be in that chart. It's a show about a girl falling in love with her (male) giant robot and never pretended to be anything else. The only yuri element in it comes really late in the series and it's a surprise twist, so you're not even supposed to know it's coming beforehand, much less be "baited" by it. And it's not supposed to be a nice surprise either, since it comes with the reveal that the character is also a traitor.
>>
>>2542543
I think they're counting anything with minor girl on girl action where it's either brief non-serious fanservice, the girls are not pure lesbians, or they don't ultimately end up together in a happy ending to be yuri-bait. I don't really agree with that broad definitiont though.
>>
>>2541928
I personally count Kamfer because most of the girls made it absolutely clear it's the female version they prefer and want nothing to do with the male. Not to mention the antagonist is a lesbian who has her own harem.

There's also the bonus point of the MC never get obnoxious with "but I'm a guy!" like other genderbend series. He transforms into a biological girl and just rolls with it and gets with girls who don't want his male side. That's cool in my book.
>>
>>2542510
Nanako says that she likes the person she's seeing, but is disappointed they don't have brown eyes, implying the person she would want to be with does. Rei's eyes were blue.
>>
>>2542543
I may be exaggerating a bit, but this is my answer to a handful of people who consider such series as Yuri, Nekomonogatari is a more blatant example for those moments fanservice between two of his characters who even created a Doujin, also that chapter has of Infinite Stratos where they put two of the members of the harem as a couple.

they're harem het, that's clear, so why put fanservice moments "yuri" if it's just fanservice? Yes, it can be considered bait even if it only appeals to perverts.

>>2542561
even with that, it is a stupid story and this element has no reason to exist in the first place, because of shit like Kapmfer or Twintail is that Kasimashi has to suffer the hardships even though they are not at the same level.
>>
>>2542647
Kampfer's only difference from Kashimasi is that it's an action harem instead of romance. In both works, the MC has no problem with being biological girls; their love interests are explicitly happy that the MC had turned into a girl; some are even disgusted with the male version.
>>
>>2542649
Doesn't he turn back into a guy and keep his harem in the end?
>>
>>2542647
>why put fanservice moments "yuri"?
Because while /u/fags don't usually want to see anything het in what they consume, hetfags enjoy some mild yuri fanservice as much as any other type. Fanservice shows will have all kinds of fanservice. From the perspective of the creator and intended audience, it's just another method of titillating the audience, rather than creating a potential lesbian development and then not following through. Seems weird to consider that bait, you should know what to expect if you're watching that kind of show in the first place.
>>
>>2542676
>>2542647
To add, I do think it IS possible to have yuribait in otherwise het shows, but that would be more about character relationships than silly "I love her almost as much as you MC, teehee" or sexual moments bewteen otherwise straight harem girls. When they pull a romantic two girl friendship with obvious emotional subtext, but one of them still ends up with the MC/they end up with guys/nothing happens, that's genuine yuribait. Basically:

Two girls seem romantic levels of close and yet still end up with guys/renounce their sexuality as a phase = yuribait

Two girls in the MC's harem rubbing each other in the shower to get the audience off = not really yuribait
>>
>>2541858
Oh shit this made remember the last episode of binbougami ga. holy shit that pissed me off so much
>>
>>2542697
What happened again? It's been years since I watched it.
Is it true the manga had Ichiko and Momiji being lovers in a past life?
>>
>>2538547
It isn't though. Not unless you're retarded and specifically do all the side quests as him.
>>
>>2542909
het end, i dont remember specifcs but the mc and her childhood friend(?) ended up tougether spite having no chemistry whasoever and its hinted that momiji is going to fuck whith a guy she found in a toilet
>>
File: e1zBGyl.png (911 KB, 1280x720)
911 KB
911 KB PNG
>>2538678
Don't forget Dekomori's lesbian stalker. It was easily the best episode of season 2.
>>
>>2541858
>Cross Ange
I will NEVER not be mad at this one. I despise the character type like Tusk.
>>
>>2541858
>kuzu no honkai
That fucking show. Would have been fine except they imply the lesbian character will go het for her fucking cousin in the end. Would it have been too much to just show her with a cute girl who likes her back? Why do these "she grew out of her yuri phase" endings still fucking happen?
>>
>>2542982
It's still how they think over in Japan.
>>
>>2542983
Unlike in enlightened America, where they just kill their fictional lesbians.
>>
>>2542982
>they imply the lesbian character will go het for her fucking cousin in the end
Does it? I think that the manga's ending actually implies that she's still fawning over the girl, and in the spin-off she's still a lesbian.
>>
>>2542985
Not all the time! Batwoman is still a lesbian, and hasn't died once.
>>
>>2542916
>>2542909
I don't remember it well either because it made me rage so much I almost broke my laptop and went drinking to forget which I guess kinda worked except when it gets brought up or there's a similar series...I'm looking at you, Inari Kon.
But I don't think that useless bastard was a childhood friend and even if I hated the ending, the new guy was just Momiji's next mission, I didn't take it as anything else.
>>
File: IMG_2402.png (584 KB, 1136x640)
584 KB
584 KB PNG
Frame Arms Girl

Was not expecting the tiny robot girl battle anime to have as much ship tease as it did. (And that ending too.)

Also the title can acronym to either "FAG" or "FAG irl".
>>
File: tsuyokiss.jpg (53 KB, 245x184)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>2538470
Tsuyokiss, pretty bad anime but their was definitely something between the president and her friend. How disappointed I was to find out it was from some shitty vn were they all want the male mc
>>
>>2543021
>*there
>>
>>2541807
Keijo really goes het? I knew I heard something about the author refusing to shoehorn male characters, but I suppose editors won at the end.
>>
>>2543080
Either that anon is lying, or he doesn't realize that all the males (granted new one appear from time to time) disappear few chapters after their introduction.
>>
>>2543086
Phew. I was afraid they had shoehorn romance.
Nozomi is a cute lesbian who deserves to be surrounded by boobs and butts.
>>
>>2542987
I don't know about the manga, but the anime adaption ends with her telling him something a long the lines of "I might give you a chance"
>>
File: Q7oVz.png (192 KB, 564x315)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
Kiss + Sex
>>
>>2543127
It's Kohime Musou right?
>>
File: 1385090462903.gif (807 KB, 500x588)
807 KB
807 KB GIF
Started out getting nothing from Kill la Kill, then got some teases and nice moments, then by the end it's basically full-blown yuri. Was really a lot of fun to follow because of that.
>>
>>2541858
Wait... why is Cross Ange on this list? The show features actual cannon same sex pairings. The end of the show even ends with the main character confirming her bisexuality and entering a polyamorus relationship.

The show was a garbage fire, don't get me wrong, but it's bursting with the seems of canon yuri.
>>
File: latest.gif (1.94 MB, 300x187)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
I mean, Korra and Asami. Clark and Lexa. In anime though? None that really stood out.

>>2543148
It was like, 98.4% Yuri. Like a download you've been waiting hours for that crashes just before finishing and the whole file ends up being corrupted.
>>
>>2543127
>Koihime Musou
>not aware it has yuri
Are you blind or were you sleeping through out the entire show until that scene?
>>
>>2543148
>Incest between everyone except Ryuko and Sats
It's my favorite anime, but god to this day I'm still mad
>>
>>2543151
>Korra and Asami
that shit came out of fucking nowhere just like the big bang but instead of a singularity that created all this was just an explosion of terrible writing, but i guess we aren't discussing the quality of the series and pairing i need to sleep
>>
>>2543172
hi /co/
>>
>>2543149
no, the couple is never declared as a couple and sex indicates absolutely nothing, it is still subtext without any real confirmation, the only established couple is Ange and Tusk, the rest of the characters are not important for Lord Fukuda.

>>2542664
As I understand Natsuru chooses the second best girl at the end and they are even the cover of the last novel, but it is still bait.

>>2542649
considering that same logic Ben of Ben 10 is an Alien because it can be transformed into Aliens.

>>2542990
give it time.
>>
>>2543149
>entering a polyamorus relationship.
I think that might be stretching it a little
>>
File: 1504772993958.jpg (40 KB, 760x760)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>2543214
>sex is subtext
Go away.
>>
>>2543172
>that shit came out of fucking nowhere
Is that why everyone on /u/ and /co/ had spent the past two seasons talking about the subtext?
>>
>>2543159
But Anon, the SatsuRyo incest was in your heart all along.
>>
>>2543214
>no, the couple is never declared as a couple and sex indicates absolutely nothing, it is still subtext without any real confirmation, the only established couple is Ange and Tusk, the rest of the characters are not important for Lord Fukuda.

Stupid troll
>>
>>2543149
>>2543255
I agree that the ending of Cross Ange basically implies Ange forming a harem, but I'm fairly certain that "Bisexual Polyamory" invalidates its as "Yuri".

Also it wasn't one of her female love interests who shouted "WE FUCKED FOR THREE DAYS STRAIGHT" at the villain.
>>
>>2543425
It's hard to call it bait either.
>>
>>2543425
>>2543444
Cross Ange is a terrible anime and since it has on screen het sex why does /u/ keep talking about it?

It's sad how some of you will eat up every pile of shit if there's just a remote glimpse of lesbianism - which is NOT what yuri is actually about - when there is so much great yuri anime and even more where you can goggle in the yuri. But no, keep talking about this utter garbage of an anime that is not even yuri.
>>
>>2543528
We get it anon, you really hate Cross Ange. Hell most of us do, don't mistake one or five anons discussing it as the entire board being okay with it. The show should've never existed.
If you're this hard up on your hate get to reporting since obviously it's nothing but an attempt to incite flames.
>>2543172
>came out of no where
You could just say you didn't watch it and want to jump on the bandwagon.
>>
Reminder that this was a thread about finding surprise yuri in shows you wouldn't expect in from, not yuribait (which almost the opposite of that), or arguing about what counts as true or good yuri.
>>
>>2543536
Cross Ange
>>
>>2543565
These two are 100% yuri at least.
Also Chris is best girl.
>>
>>2541953
Yeah, I agree. I was into the Marika harem and only good thing that came out of it was the "shock" ending.

Though I'm partial to the good Lynn and Jenny doujins.
>>
>>2541953
Same. Though I suspect my disinterest in Jenny/Lynn is due to Lynn being a butch rather than them being a side couple.
>>
>>2543390
>>2543405
it hurts the truth, then Yuri should also consider those Hentai where we have a scene of two girls having sex and then they are fucked by men, it is basically the same logic.

>>2543528
>>2543536
It's true, we're not in 2004 or before, now we have more and better options, much better options.

>>2543539
I remember the Hentai of Triangle Heart, where the last 2 or 3 chapters had Yuri, but I do not speak of a single scene, but of the story focused on that, even in the last chapter I had a scene of sex in the sky and both they stay together at the end. I did not expect anything from that.
>>
>>2543906
>more and better options
You mean the rise of goggle-tier friendship series which wiped out nearly all explicit lesbians like before? Sure.
>>
>>2543906
But the couple from Cross Ange don't have sex with guys?
Also learn English.
>>
File: 1449502342722.gif (442 KB, 480x270)
442 KB
442 KB GIF
>>2543913
Yes, of course, because it was better when we had lesbians dying or marrying men. the old good times.
are you serious?

>>2543916
With that ending, nothing is sure, how do we know that it did not merge into the Tusk harem instead? He is the only man and Fukuda's mascot.
Also It's not your problem
>>
>>2543934
As long as it didn't happen on screen it doesn't matter. And for what it's worth, Ange seems more interested in dressing Tusk up like a girl than him gaining any sort of harem.
>>
>>2543938
that is optimistic and stupid at the same time, this Anime is not worth it to be rid of, it destroys itself.
>>
>>2543943
I'm straight up just going by what's actually in the show, but I don't care either way. Show was trash, it's not as if I'm invested in it. I just don't see the point in winding myself up with imagining what-ifs either.
>>
>>2543938
You're trying really hard to defend a terrible show that no one with an interest in yuri should ever have to suffer through.
Why?
>>
>>2543934
>Tusk Harem
Hah, that's a good one. It's Ange's harem.
Which Chris and Rosalie aren't even a part of. Nor Ersha. But no one cares about Ersha.
>>
>>2543934
There are plenty lesbians that had nothing to do with het back then, retard. Nowdays it's all just goggledshit.

And if there's anyone with a harem, it's Ange, not Tusk. You're a fucking misogynist who think only a guy can have a harem. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>2543946
>I just don't see the point in winding myself up with imagining what-ifs either.
The show was terrible, but one of the only sins it didn't commit was lesbian conversion and I'm a bit bemused at anons apparently trying to make themselves angry about it.
>>
File: 1412395018991.gif (468 KB, 350x200)
468 KB
468 KB GIF
>>2543948
>>
>>2543948
cannedlaughter.wav
>>
>>2543565
I like this
>>
>>2543154
I mean, KM anime counts for this thread just because it's an adaptation of a het isekai VN. The anime removes the isekai dude completely.I bet it was a nice surprise for yuri fans at the time, considering the source
>>
>>2544089
I was under the impression that most ppl knew about it before the VN. At least almost every yurifag I've talked to expressed their surprise at the het VN, rather than the other way around.
>>
>>2544094
True. But I was talking mostly about when it came out. At one point, there was only the het VN. Then, the anime came out. Who could have imagined at the time that the anime would remove the male MC and all isekai elements to go yuri?
>>
>>2541616
I see, you've literally read any of their chiru dialog with each other.
>>
Not animu/mango but the nevernight chronicle has the bi mc in a f/f relationship
Didn't expect that at all
>>
>>2543528
>why does /u/ keep talking about it?

Because it has on screen yuri sex.
>>
>>2543934
>fantasizing about hypotetical het situations with lesbian characters that weren't even remotely hinted at
Never change, /u/
>>
>>2544172
That same lame excuse could be used to justify talking about Masō Gakuen HxH, and that's a shitty cliche ecchi high school battle harem where 2 female villains fuck
We shouldn't talk about that shitty harem, and we shouldn't talk about CA
>>
>>2544184
It's more yuri than Mai Hime and that gets discussed endlessly.
>>
>>2543948
>There are plenty lesbians that had nothing to do with het back then
You mean the 90s?
Or 2000-2010 period?
II would say that the 90s for yuri characters are tragic years, it's get a bit better after 2000 but still you can really count explict lesbian characters who had an alive and ending with girl they like basically on one hand.
From bigger perspective we live in golden age of yuri compared to old times which from nowadays perspective were basically yuri scraps from some shows people were so hyped about whichmostly ended badly.
I prefer nowadays GCDCT with yuri subtext/crush variation by a mile as anime go, at least I can enjoy some shows in peace than fear every episode for the yuri characters sake.
>>
>>2544203
They must not remember how starved for content /u/ was in the early days. I really can't believe the nostalgia goggles on some people.
Is it just human nature to always blindly assume the past was a golden age?
>>
>>2544212
I think literally yes actually
>>
>>2544187
>fanservice ecchi is more yuri than well-developed crush that ended in yuri rape and subsequently forgiveness and winning the girl
Sure.
>>
>>2544203
80s and 90s. Stop looking at the shoujo category that are nothing but tragedy, even for het. Look at mecha, action, fantasy, anything. Plenty of explicit lesbianism and no subtext shit.
>>
>>2544212
2004 is the golden age of yuri where 5 genre defining series came out and singlehandedly created the current generation of yuri creators.
>>
>>2544219
Give examples, please
>>
>>2544184
The two aren't even comparable.
Cross Ange is mostly relevant on /u/ because of Hilda, a good character in love with a girl, and the only thing she did wrong was be in an anime produced by the guy that did Gundam Seed.

https://youtu.be/U7Vs7_Jq4X0
>>
>>2544229
So fucking smooth.
>>
>>2544229
This. Well, she won half of the girl so I don't count Cross Ange as a total lost for /u/. I'm okay with lesbian x bisexual since Ange is cool enough to have her own harem.

Their romance is hilariously more well written than most other pure yuri.
>>
>>2544229
It sucks that she has to share Ange with Totally Not Kira Yamato but still a better outcome than most were expecting
>>
>>2541858
Ga Rei Zero was amazing. Yomi was so popular that in the orginal manga, Yomi came back the male MC was more or less written out. Too bad the original manga was terrible, but I still read the dreck for the subtext.
>>
>>2542987
There's a spin-off? Damn, if Ecchan gets a good ending, that would be awesome.
>>
>>2542991
>Inari Kon Kon
I wouldn't mind that the tomboy character rejected that character, but at least give her a more conclusive ending...
>>
>>
>>2544313
Someone posted a page from it. Looks like Ecchan isn't exactly enjoying being a lesbian.

Either she's going to eventually meet a girl who truly loves her or she'll realize she's not really a lesbian, was just gay for Hanabi, and end up with her cousin.
The pessimist in me says the latter is more likely from this series
>>
>>2544218
I think anon meant that while Mai Hime has some clear canon yuri the amount of focus on is is rather sparse in an otherwise filled to the brim with hetero couples series.
>>
>>2544329
She's already meet and had sex with a woman in Decor.
>>
>>2544331
This.

Is MH's story superior? No doubt. That would hardly be difficult. But the amount of yuri relative to the rest of the show is greater and more explicit in CA. Need I point out that Shizuru and Natsuki don't even get together in the show? Her apparent acceptance of her confession is relegated to a post-canon artbook or something iirc. And it's sincere in its own way. I don't think the lesbian storylines are any more hammy and ridiculous than the heterosexual ones. If anything I'd actually like more shows like the bits of CA that don't revolve around pushing Ange/Tusk. Big dumb genre shows that aren't afraid to have lesbians front and centre.

Now if only they hadn't killed off best girl so fucking early.
>>
>>2544218
>well-developed crush
Yeah, it was so incredible when Shizuru looked at Natsuki longingly.

>winning the girl
Offscreen, in an art book.

People still clinging to Mai Hime is bizarre.
>>
>>2544449
People trying to claim that Cross Ange is any better is equally bizarre.
>>
>>2544367
>Big dumb genre shows that aren't afraid to have lesbians front and centre.
This is all I want in the world.
>>
>>2544331
Mai Hime is superior because 1) one of the lesbians is the co-main character, 2) the ShizNat storyline is incredibly well developed (their relationship and Shizuru's silent love for Natsuki are shown bit by bit long before it came to climax), shockingly bold, and satisfying, 3) the whole series has a good plot that is NOT the het romance at all, both the yuri and het are subplot to an action series instead of one taking a backseat for the other.

The reason Mai Hime became the largest anime yuri fanfiction fandom is exactly because of all those 3 reasons. It's not a boring romance show, but something with good world building and lots of friendship that allow for well-rounded character development. Characters need to have well written friends and enemies and not just love interests in order to be interesting themselves, and to have many topics to explore. It's also not a goggling show. There's an explicit lesbian. An explicit lesbian who did something original: sympathizable rapist who actually won (normally it's a pick-one situation for lesbians). Shizuru won all the character polls and is pretty much what people immediately think of when the name Mai Hime came up, so the complaint "just a side plot" is incredibly misleading. Mai Hime blew the second largest yuri fanfic fandom (Nanoha) by a nearly 2:1 ratio.

If you want a romance yuri show, why look for an action series in the first place then complain? Look for other boring shit with with forgettable characters and no plot (and then wallow in the lack of fanworks and lament why "yuri attract so little attention").
>>
>>2544449
>looked at Natsuki longingly
And used her resources to silently help Natsuki with both information and ruining her enemies without asking for anything in return. And becoming Natsuki's real friend and teasing her with full of sexual jokes.

>off screen, in an artbook
Sailor Moon and Legend of Korra are also only canon by Words of God in off screen interviews. Your point?
>>
>>2544466
>ShizNat storyline is incredibly well developed
Shizuru goes from lesbian cliché A, unrequitedly crushing on best friend to lesbian cliché B, psycho rapist. Natsuki forgives and friendzones her. After Sunrise realizes that people really cling to this pairing for some bizarre reason, they make them a couple in a brief summary released in an artbook. If this came out today and you didn't have fond memories of touching yourself to Shizuru as a teenager, you'd never accept this, let alone try to defend it as good writing.
>>
>>2544453
Those cocksuckers don't want winning lesbians, they only want lesbians who lose or half lose and bi-shit.
>>
>>2544468
>Sailor Moon and Legend of Korra are also only canon by Words of God in off screen interviews.
Now I know you're fucking with me.
>>
>>2544468
If you think two people frequently discussing their sex life is subtext, you might want to look into finding a definition of subtext that isn't pants-on-head retarded.
>>
>>2544469
>cliche
As cliche as human have hair on their head.

Your simplistic listing has no meaning because it discounted the execution of those so claimed "cliches" and the fact that the rarity lies in the combination. Shizuru and Chikane till this day remain the only rapists who are explicitly lesbian and actually won the girl. Jelly?
>>
>>2544471
>Not knowing about the Japanese interview in which Takeuchi Naoko was asked about the relationship between Haruka/Michiru and has to confirm it
>Not knowing about the two writers of LoK having to write confirmation of the romantic nature of Korra/Asami in the ending
Are you a newfag?
>>
>>2544487
It's subtext because even the Japanese fans have to ask Takeuchi Naoko to confirm them. You never see anyone asking whether Shizuru is a lesbian.

Subtext means any presentation that still provides an alternative explanation instead of hard fact. It's not a matter how heavy or intentional the subtext is, and it's not limited to yuri either. Case in point: Kagura of Inuyasha is heavily implied to have a crush on Sesshomaru, but it's still subtext. Sesshomaru's affection for Rin is also subtext until it was confirmed to be of romantic nature in the drama CD.
>>
>>2544502
>>2544505
So because people are idiots who can't see what's right in front of them, Mai-Hime is superior because its fandom apparently isn't as oblivious?
>>
>>2544502
LoK seems pretty canon in the official comic book sequel
>>
>>2544507
Do you have brain damage or are you an ESL? Because you insist on not understanding what subtext means and got a stick on your ass: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtext

It's a class of storytelling technique, not a matter of how obvious it is. If the information is presented straightforwardly, it's text. If it's shown indirectly, it's subtext.

As a rule of thumb, if you ever use the word "obvious" to convince someone of a detail, it's subtext and not text.
>>
>>2544505
>Subtext means any presentation that still provides an alternative explanation instead of hard fact.
That's a terrible definition of subtext.
>>
>>2544505
Are you talking about this interview?
http://www.kicie.net/realm/naoko.htm

It was in an Italian magazine, so congratulations on getting your facts straight. The only reason they had to ask was because it was the nineties and the idea of putting lesbians in children's entertainment was so foreign to Westerners they had to confirm with the author. Haruka and Michiru are explicitly called a couple in the manga and frequently talk about having sex in the anime. That isn't subtext by any reasonable standard.
>>
>>2544513
You seem to be the one with brain damage, given your insistence that the creator comments somehow have anything to do with whether something is subtext or not, or that Mai-Hime somehow isn't just the same.

It was never confirmed in the series after all; the writer had to say so later.
>>
>>2544466
I remember Shizuru's affections having very little foreshadowing before it's revealed late in the show, besides one moment where she's 100% checking out Natsukis boobs.
>>
>>2544518
I was pretty disappointed when Natsuki literally friendzones her at the end of Maihime.
>>
>>2544470
No, we just want MORE lesbians, so that lesbians can have good and bad things happen them in stories without immediately being reduced to a trope character.
>>
>>2544499
You also know that rape is bad, right?
>>
>>2544499
>it discounted the execution of those so claimed "cliches"
Aside from Naomi Shindou's strong vocal performance as Shizuru, It's all bog standard stuff that only stays with you because you encountered it young. People who've discovered yuri over the last few years aren't going back to Mai Hime and getting blown away by the brilliant execution. These are people who didn't even bother to write the scene where the couple gets together beyond a vague summary.

>Shizuru and Chikane till this day remain the only rapists who are explicitly lesbian and actually won the girl
I'm sure that's absolutely wonderful if you're a rape fetishist, but it's not an effective argument outside that group.
>>
>>2544470
I could've sworn I had the spread from the second OP Hilda, Sala and Momoka all throwing themselves at Ange, along with Chris and Rosalie embracing lovingly off to one side. Oh well.
>>
>>2544523
It was foreshadowed quite early, wasn't it? At the wishing with ribbons thing, I remember some Shiznat hints. Which reminds me, I need to rewatch Mai-Hime.
>>
>>2544212
>Is it just human nature to always blindly assume the past was a golden age?
Yes, just like the grass is always greener elsewhere, it was always better in the good ol' days
>>
>>2544466
If Mai Hime came out today no one on /u/ would watch it because the MC wasn't a lesbian.
>>
>>2544509
If Korra didn't pussy out Asami would have full blown office sex with her. Yeah it's pretty damn canon.
>>
>>2544664
It would probably get absolutely trashed desu
>>
>>2544664
People would probably throw fits about it.
>>
>>2544664
I wouldn't watch it while it was airing, but I would after it ends and people talk about how Shizuru is yandere for Natsuki. I think plenty of people here would.
>>
>>2544694
No one would tout "b-but they got together according to the book" as a major victory, however.
>>
>>2544664
Standards were much lower back then.
>>
>>2544466
Hey!

Rosalie and Chris > Shiznat
>>
>>2544721
Natsuki already kissed and forgave and shown to be close to Shizuru again in the anime, retard. The artbook simply confirmed that yes, it's in a romantic way. The OVA even showed Shizuru stepping into a small bathroom and naked Natskuki blushed, meaning they're living together.

It's funny how much /u/ hates lesbians.
>>
>>2544797
That's why no yurifag cares about them, eh? It's ok, we are all jealous of ShizNat's amount of fanworks.
>>
>>2544814
>It's funny how much /u/ hates lesbians.
No, we just hate bull shit.
>>
>>2544814
>Natsuki already kissed
I can only admire your dedication to staying deluded. Natsuki kissed Shizuru, yes, and then friendzoned her. That's a pretty big part of the scene to ignore.

>The OVA
More desperate scrambling from Sunrise.
>>
I always felt like part of the reason ShizNat got such a deluge of fanworks was because of how much /wasn't/ confirmed or explored in canon, so it's always bizarre to see that touted as evidence of their strong showing in the anime.
>>
>>2544835
Yeah, I don't understand how the amount of fanwork is supposed to determine the quality or the canonicity of a ship.
By that logic, extremely popular fujo ships like Naruto x Sasuke or Eren x Levi are better than any other ship and also canon just because they literally got tens of thousands of doujins and fanfictions.
>>
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FtFv0fABN1Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is there a yuri-ur ending than the first Needless ending?

Episode 6 is pretty gay to, which is in sharp contrast with the rest of the series (shonen parody)
>>
>>2544844

I'm a retard who does not know how to post a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtFv0fABN1Y
>>
>>2544814
>ignoring the part where Natsuki says she doesn't love Shizuru in the same way, and that she wants to be friends again
>>
>>2544184
But the girls having onscreen sex in CA are not part of any harem or get hetero love interests.
>>
File: Chris' Sign.jpg (77 KB, 574x960)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>2545099
Technically that's untrue, given that first Hilda, Chris and Rosalie were all part of Zola's harem, and then after she died Chris and Rosalie became Hilda's harem. Then Hilda fell for Ange, and Chris grew a spine and decided to make Rosalie hers.
>>
>>2541858
Tamako Market movie broke my heart. Midori a best.
>>
>>2544535
You can hardly fault anon for your poor taste, Ms. not a rape fetishist
>>
>>2545169
I like Maihime and ShizNat a lot, but the show really doesn't give you a whole lot, and I remember Natsuki friendzoning Shizuru at the end very well because of how much it disappointed me. It's nice that they retconned it later in the artbook than not at all but eh.
>>
>>2545184
Eh even if it is a retcon it wasn't that out of character for Natsuki since she had no experience whatsoever with love in the first place.
>>
>>2545184
Natsuki never friendzoned Shizuru. During the double-suicide scene, Natsuki took the blame for Shizuru action by saying it's because Natsuki WAS not feeling the same thing. Natsuki never said anything about her current feelings. And considering the size of Duran and the fact that Shizuru is now Natsuki's most important person, it's clear that it's a new bloom romantic love.

The epilogue showed Shizuru persistenly hugging Natsuki from behind in the group karaoke. The director's cut showed Shizuru walking into Natsuki's shower. So the fact that Natsuki accepted Shizuru's love has been in the plan all along, not just a retcon in a mere artbook.

Should I remind you that ShizNat is an explicit couple in Mai Otome? That's one more proof that Sunrise meant for them to be OTP all along.
>>
>>2544535
>People who've discovered yuri over the last few years aren't going back to Mai Hime and getting blown away by the brilliant execution.

Having only recently discovered Yuri anime (as in a hated anime until recently) I can say Mai Hime did very little to impress. Shizuru was a way less interesting psyho than Chikane, the overall plot was lame, the main het pairing was annoying and dumb. The best thing it has is music from Yuki Kajiura, but compared to Madoka or Noir (which despite only having Yuri subtext is probably my favorite anime) it was lacking.

You can do a lot worse than Mai Hime, but I wouldn't call it a Yuri classic or even a particularly good show. You'd be much better off watching Nanoha or fucking, I dunno, Valkyrie Drive Mermaid or some shit.
>>
>>2544843
Especially when most of the fanwork is trash. 99% of everything is shit after all. But Mai Hime seems to have an abnormal amount of utter garbage fanfiction. Never judge something by the amount of fanworks it has. I wouldn't have watched Kurau Phantom Memory if I did that.
>>
>>2545214
Yeah, I took a screenshot of the relevant dialogue and posted it on /u/ a while ago:
http://archive.loveisover.me/u/thread/2350919/#q2353394

As you said she does say that she wasn't able to reciprocate her feelings, but that doesn't mean she still doesn't. And then she says she loves her. You could honestly read it either way.
>>
>>2545281
>You could honestly read it either way.
Isn't that the very definition of subtext?
>>
>>2545269
Mai Hime had like 3 or 4 good themes. Compare that to let's say Fate/Zero (also Kajiura) where all the music gels really well with the scenes
>>
>>2545269
>>2544535
Maihime is not by any means an amazing show, and isn't to everyone's taste, but it's nice if you want a fun action show with a very 2000s feel to it, in my opinion.
>>
>>2545301
Gay subtext usually refers to a work subtly implying that characters are gay and/or in a relationship. I haven't seen it used in a situation where a show openly shows that one of the characters is gay and then the other may or may not have accepted her feelings. But it's an ambiguous ending, sure (not taking into account the external confirmation/retcon that occurred after the show ended).

But the show as a whole I wouldn't call subtext, since it does outright show you that Shizuru is gay for Natsuki (and Yukino for Haruka). Unlike, say, the various idol shows that get posted on /u/. Not that I dislike them for that.
>>
>>2545214
>Should I remind you that ShizNat is an explicit couple in Mai Otome
I've watched that show like 7 times and explicit is really pushing it. You give Sunrise far too much credit.
>>
>>2544749
We were fucking starved and clung on to any scraps available
>>
>>2545544
Yeah there's really not much ShizNat in that show. It does make it clear that Shizuru is gay (people even joke about her being late because she must have run into a cute girl) and that she deeply cares for Natsuki, but the nature of their relationship is kept really ambiguous. The most they get is a scene where Shizuru puts suntan on Natsuki who gets all embarrassed and goes "N-not down there!", which doesn't point conclusively to them being a couple.

The biggest offense for me is that there are several occasions where Natsuki should be overjoyed to see Shizuru again, but they never even hug.
>>
I realize many bad things about how the Mai franchise was run.
Sunrise knew that the Yuri couples were more popular than the het, the people wanted ShitNat, even that stupid prequel where the Zaku appears, showed that people preferred the lesbian to the generic and boring guy.

So why did they do everything so badly?
Otome had to show more to ShitNat as a couple instead of showing those stupid moments where those stupid characters in the background could not fuck, there was even more MaiNat, for not forgetting the bed scene with all those toys, but even the two at the end they are useless as characters, Haruka does much more than them.

Not to mention the Manga, how can you even consider this friendly Yuri franchise, when it seems that the yuri was a secondary product that they could not handle well?

>>2545487
Although Nonoha and Precure also did well and even really are better in action, not to mention that now there are many friendly Yuri series with a lot of action, Yuuki Yuna or Symphogear, in addition to Precure.
>>
>>2545659
Japan doesn't make creative or business decisions that revolve around whether their shows are yuri friendly or not, especially not in shows that aren't mainly about yuri, and especially not in the mid 2000s.
>>
>>2545659
I agree that Nanoha did it way better. And not only was it's action better, but the Yuri was very much front and center and the only reason it isn't technically canon is so they can sell more merchandise. Nanoha and Fate literally sleep in the same bed and have a child together.
>>
>>2545482
Yeah, Mai Hime was not her greatest work. I mean, it's not like it was bad, but it wasn't the god-tier level of composing she's done for other shows. I could listen to Nowhere on loop for 10,000 years.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.