[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/u/ - Yuri

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 87 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest - Submit Designs Here

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 1278317276350.jpg (233 KB, 900x1151)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
Another dying link for the archive: >>2673831

Someplaces to fic
fanfiction.net
archiveofourown.org

>An archive of fics compiled and shared by a kind anon
https://mega.nz/#F!oaphAAaZ!6FnZFfH2f-Vx5d9A47pSow

Post links to fics and discuss them and fanfiction in general. Link fics you like, your own stuff, anything goes as long as it's yuri.
>>
Post a trope/kink we need more of.
>>
>When you have a rarepair idea, but someone already did it, so you can't do it anymore or else it'll look like you just ripped it from them.
>>
>>2699037
Anon do you like having two cakes or just one?
>>
>>2699040
Two cakes seems two much. A better example would be: Do you like having two tits or just one?
>>
>>2699048
Good point. Still the imouto should just write up her rarepair idea cause they're a rarepair for a reason and there's no harm in adding more.
>>
>>2698888
exhibitionism.
>>
>>2698884
Damn I thought it was a KiGo thread.
>>
>>2699037
How rarepair are we talking?
>>
>>2698884
Is there any good Simoun fanfiction?

I searched everywhere but found nothing.
>>
>Veri n1c3OJost0ri5T
what does this review mean?
>>
Maybe that's a silly question, but is it easy for people to recognize the writer by writing style? For example, what if I wrote with two different names, but I don't want people to find out they're both the same. Is it possible or some people can realize you're the same by your style? Has it ever happened before? Do someone even cares?
>>
>>2699777
I've thought about the same thing and I think that it's entirely possible to recognize it. When editing I'm always cutting away some of the worst stock phrases and descriptions that I keep on using, but even so, I think there's more than enough left in my works that could be recognized. Thing is, I don't think anybody would suspect it. Even in the same fandom, people tend to stick to pairings or F/F, M/M, F/M, or whatever their preferred variety is.
>>
>>2699037
I've had that happen to me on at least 3 occasions. I really have to stop sitting on ideas and just write them
>>
>>2699777
Definitely possible, but even those who notice the similarities are more likely suspect that Writer B is copying Writer A's style.
>>
How did you all learn to write? Every time I try it just comes out as steaming hot garbage. Really depressing.
>>
Do you ever have group writing challenges? Like, choose a scenario and an ending date, then everyone writes something for fun following the prompt.
>>
>>2699777
It's possible, but of course it depends on whether your writing is that characteristic. Just like art, some artists are incredibly recognizable, some are super generic, others fall somewhere in the in-between spectrum.
>>
>>2699958
Read a lot. When you read enough of both good and bad writings, you start to notice what made a difference and develops a aesthetic for prose/pacing/characterization.
>>
>>2699958
I took a creative writing class and go to writing websites to get some proof reading.
>>
>>2699958
Read a lot. Try to look at the writing itself instead of just the meaning.
>>
>>2699968
We had them a long time ago in the /u/ lit threads, but they kind of fell by the wayside. I'd be up for doing it again though.
>>
>>2699958
Define hot garbage.
Most times, we hate what we write. That doesn't mean it's bad or that everyone else hates, too.
>>
It's time to tell this thread about your
S E C R E T F A N F I C S H A M E
>>
>>2699958
everyone sucks when they start out. Just keep doing it and get better. Reading helps, what helped me a lot was shamelessly coping my favorite authors. Don't worry about being a copy, just ape their style as hard as you can, eventually you'll realize what you like about it and develop your own style
>>
>>2700157
Is that the pairings we like but are embarrassed to admit or something?
>>
>>2699958
Read a lot; write a lot. The trick is to keep at it when you feel like you're cranking out nothing but trash and not improving.
>>
>>2700141
Yeah, doing it for fanfic stuff would be fun.
>>
>>2700157
I've read incest RPF of the Deschanel sisters.
>>
>>2700420
I miss the LJ fic era.
>>
>>2700497
I miss the communities on LJ. I had such good times with Gossip Girl, Bleighton, Merlin and Legend of the Seeker. The kinkmemes, the Big Bangs and the Yuletide stuff. Nothing will ever be like LJ.
>>
At what point does an epilogue become something of a sequel? I'm in the process of writing an epilogue, which I normally don't do, that takes place ~a year from the end of the story, and I wanted to give it its own small plot - a kind of follow up/loose-end-tying, but now it feels a bit too involved. I think I can cut it in half and make it two chapters, but can an epilogue be 2 chapters in and of itself? Does that over-ride the idea of an epilogue and just make it a sequel?
>>
>>2701057
>can an epilogue be 2 chapters
Just say the epilogue's a two parter
>>
>>2701057
That's a sequel. An epilogue must spend a huge majority of its content on concluding the main story, letting the readers know what the aftermath is and how the characters are doing. The remaining few paragraphs can be a sequel hook, such as pointing out what is still a mystery, a sudden lead to someone who was missing or presumed dead, or a group of friends getting together on a new adventure after parting in the final chapter. The exact length allowance of a sequel hook depends on how long your epilogue is, but in general I'd say don't exceed 500 words/1 page. If you feel the need for 2 epilogue chapters, it's already a sequel.
>>
>>2700157
I love reading chatfics.
>>
>>2700420
>>2701130
>RPF
>chatfic
Absolutely shameful. Next you're gonna tell me you've enjoyed self-insert second POV as well.
>>
>>2700157
Crossover ships.
>>
>>2701057
An epilogue can be more than one chapter; it's more about the content than the length.
For a (sometimes overly) simplistic way of telling them apart, check if it can stand on its own. If it can't, it's most likely an epilogue.
>>
>>2701162
I've read a few second person fics. One of them was by Telanu.
>>
>>2701228
No, it can't. 2 chapters epilogue is just a sequel that had been cut off in the middle, totally not the point of an EPIlogue, even if it "can't stand on its own."
>>
>>2701507
That is not a sequel.
>>
>be me, the CCS fag
>write a Sakura x Kaho scene
How fucked is my fic now anon?
>>
>>2701680
Denial doesn't make your imagination come true.
>>
>>2701776
I think it was just improved.
>>
>>2701931
Hopefully.
What I find funny is that ship is more-or-less canonical (Sakura had a crush on Kaho, albeit short lived in the manga) but most of the spic fandom doesn't acknowledge it.
Meanwhile Eriol x Tomoyo is treated like its canonical by the beaner fandom. Even considering that Eriol x Tomoyo IS the definition of a crack ship.
>>
>>2701942
That's exactly what the Western fandom did back in the early 2000s.
>>
>>2701954
Yep. Now its time to bring the gayness back.
>>
>>2701942
I've always liked Kaho, it's no wonder Sakura had a crush on a tall, elegant woman like that. I've always really liked Nakuru too because of my fetish for butterfly wings, but I think she's technically genderless so I don't know if she counts for yuri stuff.
>>
Does original stuff that reads kinda like a fanfic count? Started writing a light swords & sorcery style thing and would appreciate brutal feedback.

AO3 /works/15912519
>>
>>2701973
Kaho deserves more love. My fic is most ship teasing, but if I can ship tease this, I will do it.
>>
>>2701985
40k words already? I might take a look, but I'll be a while.
>>
>>2701991
>““It's only a small one”, yeah right! “Probably a baby frostwyrm” my ass!”
Put a space between consecutive quotation marks. Also, use single quotation marks inside double quotation marks (or the reverse if you're British).
So like this:
>" 'It's only a small one,' yeah right! 'Probably a baby frostwyrm' my ass!"
Another change in the above is the placement of the comma, which should go inside the quotation marks. British style sometimes puts them outside, but even there that's more common in non-fiction.
>>
>>2702002
Meant for >>2701985
>>
>>2701997
I've only been writing for it for two weeks too, it all just kind of exploded out of my head.

>>2702002
Thanks! I was actually not sure at all what the "commonly accepted" method was. So I just went with seemed like flows the best.
>>
>>2702018
I don't understand how people do that. It took me a year and half to do 45k.
>>
>>2702019
I've been struggling my entire life to put shit from my head onto paper or into music or whatever, it never seems to come out right. This time it was like opening a floodgate for some reason. I guess I was just that much more determined to put these two characters into a story and make it decent.

The reason I didn't post it before now was actually cause I made it with /u/ in mind first and foremost, and there wasn't really much /u/worthy content in act 1. The first small hints just appeared in chapter 9.
>>
>>2700157
I don't watch the show or anything, but I really like MLP fics.
>>
>>2700157
I've read too many Harry Potter fics featuring Mary Sues lately.
>>
File: 1484368646015.jpg (169 KB, 1024x820)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>2700157
I've only read one fanfic in my life, though it had over 300k words. I consider it canon over the official option.
>>
>>2702154
You can't make a post like that and then not tell us which fanfic.
>>
>>2702155
Place in the World by paxbanana. Legend of Korra fanfic that goes to a few very weird places and has a couple awkward plot devices, but blows the official comics away with the attention for detail and love for the characters.

AO3 /works/8235412
>>
>>2701985
>40k words
>11 hits

like what is even the point

why not just write it up and send it to an agent. nobody goes on ao3 for original work
>>
>>2702220
I don't think anon was looking for hits, I think anon was looking for reviews.
>>
>>2701985
You should probably hit up the /u/lit writer's group.
>>
>>2702220
Sometimes it's nice to just get stuff out of your head. Some people like to write for the fun of it and not just for the hits.
>>
>>2701228
>>2701507
>>2701108
See, this was my problem. I can't count it as an epilogue, but I don't believe it needs to be a sequel, and I'd like it to still be part of the ongoing story - it just happens to come after the initial plot is solved and a year or so later.

I suppose I'll cut it in half, post it as 2 new chapters, and call it an "After Story" or "Follow Up" or "Finale", Thanks for the help, nee-san
>>
>>2701985
I can't do a review because I have trouble finding what to say, even if I really like or really hate something. I do have some advice though.

Don't drop 9 chapters at once.

Why?

1 AO3 default search is by update date. A week from now your work will be at the bottom of the pile and no one will notice it. If you update once every week, people will notice you update regularly and will be more likely to check it out.

2 People rarely look at the posted date. What they do look at is chapter/kudos ratio. If they look at something and see 9 chapters, 40k words, and not a single kudos they'll immediatelly assume it's garbage and actively avoid it.

Sorry for the rant. Read the first chapter and it looks interesting so far.
>>
>>2702414
>What they do look at is chapter/kudos ratio
Word count (descending) here, who the FUCK bothers with ratios?
>>
>>2702414
>What they do look at is chapter/kudos ratio
So you've never searched for a rarepair, gotcha.
>>
>>2702414
>If they look at something and see 9 chapters, 40k words, and not a single kudos they'll immediatelly assume it's garbage and actively avoid it.
I thought Hits mattered more?
>>
>>2702414
This is all important stuff, thanks!
Think I should prune out some of the later chapters and repost them weekly?

As for why, it's basically >>2702247

>>2702227
I linked it there too.

>>2702220
There were like 40k original results when I looked em up, although I can imagine the vast majority of them are short, smut, or both. As for sending it to an agent, I might do that if it garners a cursory amount of interest on the interwebs first. Not really all that confident in my ability to write interesting stuff yet. (Or rather stuff that would sell from their perspective)
>>
>>2702490
>As for sending it to an agent, I might do that if it garners a cursory amount of interest on the interwebs first. Not really all that confident in my ability to write interesting stuff yet. (Or rather stuff that would sell from their perspective)
Traditional publishing is a fucking scam anyway. You get 2% on every sale, you have to let your work get mutilated beyond recognition by a committee of "editors" (and also, these days, literal censors), and you probably will need to get a job at Taco Bell just to make ends meet. You should self-publish.
>>
>>2702503
>says negatives of a publishing house
>suggests self-publishing
>doesn't say self-publishing negatives
Stop posting any time.
>>
>>2702503
I have a day job anyways, extra money would be extra money. Also, google says that:

Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold.

Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter.

And honestly that's not bad at all. If my shit turns out to be interesting to a bunch of people I'll definitely consider publishing it one way or another.
>>
>>2700157
I have read and enjoyed r63!slash 'yuri' pairings
>>
>>2702508
Just to point out, as far as I know, you'll have a hard time being published if you're already sharing it on the internet.
Maybe if you whole share the first chapter. But if you're planning to share more, you might not find anyone willing to publish it.
>>
>>2702794
Seems to be differing accounts on that. I read this thing when I was looking up the basics of publishing books

https://www.janefriedman.com/start-here-how-to-get-your-book-published/

And it says:

Many writers wonder if they’ll ruin their chances at traditional publication if they self-publish an ebook, use Wattpad, or put chapters on their website. In brief, no, you are not ruining your chances.

And honestly, thinking about it logically, if your work has several thousand hits and several hundred kudos/equivalent online, doesn't it only serve to prove that people are interested in it? It's basically like a CV for the existing popularity of your work before it even hit the prints.

Would be different if you published it as an eBook and thus gave the publishing rights to Amazon or some other company. But since I'm just doing it to gauge interest at this point I can't really see how it would hurt any future plans to publish it traditionally.
>>
>>2702842
Addendum: I have basically no fuckin clue what I'm talking about from the perspective of actual experience, so this could all be wrong. I think I'm still gonna keep posting my novel on AO3 though since I just mainly want people to read and enjoy it.
>>
>>2702490
>>2702845
I used to get a reasonable number of hits for original fantasy stuff on Fictionpress, so that might be another option to see if there's an audience.
Been a few years since I updated anything though, so no idea how it is these days.
>>
>>2702794
Telanu reworked one of their Mirandy fics and got it published. The original is still online. And I know of another fic writer who reworked their Swan Queen fic for publication. The original was taken down though.
>>
>>2702842
Yeah, I have no experience in it, I just saw a lot of writers saying that's how it works, a work loses commercial value if it's published online.
I think if your work gets really popular, that's an exception, but I can see them not wanting to publish it otherwise even if the story has potential.
And your work might have commercial potential and not to be popular online, too, for a lot of reasons.
Anyway, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. But if your main reason is to sell it, you should consider if it's worth.
>>
>>2702480
Yeah, you got me

>>2702489
Hits matter, but if something has lots of likes, no comments, and no kudos it usually means it has a good summary but no one liked it enough to finish reading it

>>2702490
>Think I should prune out some of the later chapters and repost them weekly?

I'd recommend reposting them weekly in another site, maybe fictionpress or wattpad. I like fictionpress better, but it depends on the audiance you want
>>
>>2703016
Someone else did it with a Supergirl fic.
>>
>>2703039
Link? I'm so out of the loop, I could not stand all the drama.
>>
>>2703016
>the original was taken down though
Is this the one where Regina is deaf, or the BDSM island one? Pretty sure I have pre-scrublished copies of both.
>>
>>2703010
>>2703036
I'll give Fictionpress a shot then, thanks again!

>>2703033
Honestly I can see this being an issue with tons of variables. Publishing just seems like such a pipe dream for me considering how many wannabe authors there are. Who knows, I might get lucky, but I feel like having my story online is a lot smaller of a factor than actually getting it picked in the first place.

Seriously thanks for all the advice and feedback, is all worth more than gold to me.
>>
>>2703264
>Publishing just seems like such a pipe dream for me considering how many wannabe authors there are.

Keep in mind that a lot of those wannabes can't be arsed to write and that fewer still ever finish a project of novel length.
>>
>>2703219
I think it's the one where were Emma is a former washed up basketball star.
>>
>>2703284
I was thinking the ones who actually do provide full manuscripts for agents. A couple different sites cite about 2000 tentative novels per year per agent of which about 2 or 3 go to the publisher. And one out of those 2-3 gets rejected anyways. But I'm definitely gonna give it a shot once I have a complete story that has a couple hits on the interwebs.
>>
>>2703367
Keep in mind that most of these people are pitching to several agents at once. People can rack up dozens, even hundreds of rejections, and they don't do that by offering to a single agent at a time. I've also heard agents mention that as much as half of all subscriptions might be unreadable due to poor grammar, lack of spell checking, and terrible formatting in general. I'm willing to believe that percentage is true.
>>
>>2703264
That's why I'm saying you should think about it. I agree with you, actually. I would rather put my things online and having people read it than spend years trying to publish it. I think west should value web novels more. We put too much importance in things that were picked up for traditional publishing thinking they're of best quality than self published works or web novels, but that's not always true.
I like how it works on Japan, where even web novels can get really popular.
>>
>>2703376
That sounds reasonable.

>>2703405
In any case I'll have to finish my novel before I can get it anywhere, so might as well rack up some hits online on the earlier chapters. Even if it turns out I'm just gonna end up cockblocking my online readers and only leaving the finale for the book publication :^)
>>
>>2703405
I wish the West would value weeb novels more. All I want is an isekai where a tomboy gets teleported to a fantasy realm and gets saved by a super feminine knight.
>>
So I decided to cut back my novel to 3 chapters and will be posting a chapter a week from now on. Maybe that'll lower the threshold for peeps to pick it up and keep it bumped better for the future.

Renewed shameless self-plug: AO3 /works/15912519

>>2703447
I like the sound of that!

I actually had a weeb-style light novel idea about a girl who highschool debuts and gets a boyfriend, but ends up falling hard for the boyfriend's single mother. Even wrote a short copypasta for it for a friend's Discord.
>>
>>2703470
>copypasta
Greentext story I mean.
>>
>>2703470
I've actually been reading your story at work and I just finished the third chapter, so I'm a little disappointed that I can't read the rest of it. I was going to wait until I read all of it before I wrote a review.
>>
>>2703582
Well slap that bookmark button and keep following! I might accelerate the upload schedule to two chapters a week actually, since I just cleared a big mental roadblock on the plot and pacing of the second act.

I'm probably also gonna write some extra "behind the scenes" chapters into a separate work page, involving other characters besides the main ones to accompany the main novel
By cutting back to the third chapter I can start adding notes realtime at the end of each TSatS chapter where an extra chapter is relevant.
>>
>>2702503
>>2702503

Mom wrote and published a book, and she gets $1/sale, and a flat fee of $3k for selling the audiobook rights. It depends pretty heavily on who your publisher is though
>>
>>2703610
Is it about lesbians? Can she get Scarlett Johansson to voice the audiobook?
>>
>>2703615
It's about genocide, and she had absolutely no control over who voiced the audiobook.
>>
>>2703610
>>2703615
>>2703616

What do learn from this? Writing about genocide doesn't pay. Stick to lesbians.
>>
>>2703582
>>2703588

Whipped up an extra chapter since I was in feeling in the zone. There will be a collection of extras behind this link, usually lore stuff but sometimes story stuff from a different perspective.

AO3 /works/15933605

>>2703610
Depends even more heavily on the genre, I reckon. Just the division between fiction and nonfiction is probably huge in terms of sales and margins, especially if the nonfiction topic you're covering is either already well-covered or really obscure.
>>
>>2703447
I know of something similar:
>https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/11361/a-hero-past-the-25th

I don't really enjoy the light novel writing style that much, but it's got lesbians, it's got lesbians knights, and it's got a lesbian agegap. What more could I want?
>>
>>2703740
Neat, thanks. I like LNs so I think I'll enjoy it, plus it looks like a nice, meaty read.
>By her thirty-eighth birthday, Itaka Izumi remained an unmarried, kissless virgin.
Is this me?
>>
>>2700157
I still enjoy reading coffee shop AUs and high school AUs every once in a while. The latter are more shameful, I think, but old habits die hard. Plus, I don't write either (anymore), so the most harm I do is having some dumb, nostalgic fun reading them.
>>
>>2698888
Yandere and Stockholm syndrome. You don't truly love somebody until you kidnapped her
>>
>>2703972
Nah, I'd much rather see Lima syndrome.
>>
>>2703740
Dang, I'm loving this! I've never read any isekai mangos though, so that's probably why it feels so novel to me. Especially the sardonic way it tackles all of the clichés and tropes. Can also relate to the MMO burnout something fierce.

Thanks for sharing!
>>
>>2703972
>>2704030
Why not both?

>Evil demon empress lady kidnaps the queen of the land to fulfill an ancient prophecy that guarantees demon dominance over humans
>Queen sympathizes with the discrimination and hate towards demons and wants to help make the two races equal
>Empress's heart goes doki at the queen's kindness
>Eventually they just elope together and leave both the demons and humans confused as hell
>>
>>2704034
>when asked about what happened, the Queen answers that she "won a rock-off challenge"
>>
>>2704038
>that reference
I see your a woman of culture as well also
>>2704034
This is a great idea, would you mind expanding upon it
>>
>>2704900
I may take it under construction once I'm done with The Sword and the Storm. Maybe even slap it in the same universe for shits n' giggles.
>>
>be, again, the CCS fag who is writting his long fic
>seek inspiration on a fic you read eons ago
>its a pretty well know and celebrated fic in the spic fandom.
>its even in CCS recommended fic list in TVTropes
>a great reward to a spanish fanfic
>read it
>is less awesome than you remember
>keep reading it
>its awfully written, besides spelling and redaction
>likes to mix spanish and english, even in occasions where this doesn't make any sense
>clench your teeth while reading some scenes from cringe
>laugh at scenes that are supposed to be serious or tense
>the explanation of the existence of the big bad and his motivation doesn't make sense besides some kind of mystical mumbo-jumbo about cycles and eternity
>Touya is awfully OoC. He cames as a literal jerk instead of a cold guy who likes to tease his sister
>a character that supposedly is sympathetic is annoying as fuck
>the character that's supposedly to be annoying is just a cartoon
>lots of scenes are exposition and shit
>the scenes where the characters interact besides the plot feel dull
>the central conflict in the fic is solved fast and "easily"
>you can watch the plot armor from the moon
>bonus: absolute disgregard for any couple that isn't heterosexual or it has a wide age gap.
>bonus: the author teases a a crossover with X in the last chapters
I'm talking about that fic called "El Ultimo Cardcaptor" (The last cardcaptor for the anglos) from Mikki-chan. You can find it on https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5223610/1/ in english, at least partially.
I'm still wondering how she managed to get the following she has. I literally cannot find any negative review about it that addresses more than the fact that Touya is awfully OoC.
>t. jelly pro
>>
>>2705329
The quality of fanfiction has increased dramatically from the old days. Even many of the "classics" are pretty bad by today's standards.
>>
>>2705337
It makes sense. Nowadays you have things like the Snowflake method and beta readers with ease.
>>
>>2705343
>the Snowflake method
?
>>
>>2705367
Its a method to outline novels I have read good reviews about its use to plan fanfics
>>
>>2705075
thanks sis
>>
Age-gap doesn't always interest me, but apparently when it's paired with the mentor-mentee dynamic it's supereffective on me. Too bad half the pairing's already dead by the second episode.
>>
>>2705367
>https://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/
Pretty decent to plan a long fic IMO.
>>
>>2705568
Looks decent, yep. I'm very much in favor of outlining, but I don't think going quite as far as described in this method would work for everyone. I find that characters in particular can be very difficult to define beforehand.
>>
>>2705568
"Decent" is a good word for it.
>>
>>2705622
Of course. I find the method pretty weak in the character development area, and could be bad if you want to make a character driven plot. Buts a good start if you want to make some kind of long novella and you are lost.
The most powerful tool that a writer has is rewriting. And with this method you can save yourself of rewrite complete drafts, at least at begining.
>>
>>2705668
It's definitely bad for a character-driven novel if you follow it like a slave. But even in character development as a standalone it's useful. The snowflake is pretty much exactly what they mean by "fleshing out" a character. Start with the basics and spread towards the smaller, more delicate parts as the story goes on.

Of course if you plan ahead too much, you might end up with a character that's "made" instead of a character that sort of "created themselves". If it's a skillfully "made" character it doesn't really make much of a difference, but if it's poorly "made" you end up with Mary-Sues and such. Whereas when you progressively let a character write him/herself as the story goes on, they tend to turn out being more balanced and natural.

>The most powerful tool that a writer has is rewriting. And with this method you can save yourself of rewrite complete drafts, at least at begining.

This is so true. That's why sites like Fanfiction and AO3 are great, nobody really minds if you rewrite or retcon something due to feedback or just purely cause you werent' thinking far enough ahead as the story progressed.

Long fanfiction or fanfic-like novels that go through a bunch of revisions tend to be a lot more coherent and feel a lot more complete than ones that were just slapped in finished.

(Disclaimer: all of this is based on my personal experience and values)
>>
Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in rewrite hell, though. What started off as a short one-shot just keeps getting bigger as I add new layers, and now it just feels like a bloated, cancerous mess that never really goes anywhere.
>>
Can someone recommend good Harry Potter fanfiction with either a fem!Harry or fem!OC (that isn't a giant Mary Sue)?

I already read:
-The Mary Potter series by LeighaGreene which is awesome due to fantastic worldbuilding but the /u/ hasn't started yet since she only reached year 3 (but it's pretty obvious that it will be /u/ in the end)
-To Reach Without by inwardtransience, which again is awesome due to fantastic worldbuilding and has lots of actual /u/ but sadly is on-hiatus (probably forever)
-Her Mother's Love also by inwardtransience which I disliked due to the premise that harry is an autistic girl with her mother as advisor and teacher in her head but it has good worldbuilding like everything from the author.
- It Does Not Do to Dwell on Dreams series by Kanene_Rose which is a nice read with obvious /u/ but the main character is too much of Mary Sue and the story follows the books too closely. I still look forward to updates.
-Son of Potter, Daughter of Black is on hiatus for a year now and I doubt it'll come back. It is weaker than inwardtransience works concerning worldbuilding and Mary Sueing is also strong but it's still a 280k words long nice read with nice character interaction.
-The Pendragon Life series (I just started it and don't have an opinion yet. Better written than It Does Not Do to Dwell on Dreams but worse than the other mentioned works, also the /u/ starts later (fifth year) but since it's already finished and over 900k words long I look forward to going through it)

Do you know anything else worth a read? I like really long ones but they shouldn't be too dark like The Silent World of Cassandra Evans or the one where Sirius saves fem!Harry from a child brothel (that she apparently runs(?)).
>>
>>2705772
>that isn't a giant Mary Sue
Shit, I was going to recommend the Black Queen series.

There's a fairly short one called Out and the Open that was pretty great, if you can tolerate f!Harry/trans!Draco
>>
>>2705800
>if you can tolerate f!Harry/trans!Draco
It might be frowned upon but the biological parts are most important to me. Has Draco a penis? If not I can deal with it.
>>
>>2705808
Don't think so, but it's been a while since I read it.
>>
Is there still much of an interest out there for Strike Witches fic? I'm currently writing a Trude x Erica one, but the fanbase over here in the west seems kinda dead and the ones with the most hits written in the last few years are either hetshit, futa, or weird fetish porn. I guess it doesn't really matter if it doesn't get a lot of views, I just wanna write about my girls being happy together is all for the most part.
>>
>>2705956
Honestly, I'm more of a Trude x Shirley fan but I'd definitely read it if you wrote it. I tried writing a Krupi x Sensei fic once because I really liked their chemistry, but gave up pretty quickly. I might revisit it someday though.
>>
How do you handle side background ships? You know, the ones that aren't exactly major, but there?
>>
>>2706066
Untagged and do not get sex scenes.
>>
>>2706066
actual background ships are untagged, any ship with significance to the work is tagged in descending order of importance from the main pairing down.
>>
>>2706066
Depends on exactly how background it is
>>
>>2705772
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5784918/1/Bound-With-Silver-Threads

Not an OC exactly, follows Lily Luna Potter from 3rd year onwards, as she meets, befriends, dates and eventually bangs Draco's daughter. The writing takes a while to get good.

>The Pendragon Life series
Link or author name please? I couldn't find it.
>>
>>2706116
>[...] follows Lily Luna Potter [...] as she meets, befriends, dates and eventually bangs Draco's daughter
Outstanding.
>>
>>2705568
>>2705367
Interesting, but I think it's almost too structured/strict. Which, I'm sure, is the point and likely very helpful for a lot of people out there, but I'm not sure this works for everyone. Like this nee-san >>2705622, I find good old outlining to be my method of choice.

the character stuff feels a bit strange,as a fic writer, because while we do have to keep in mind that these characters are (hopefully) fully realized characters, they aren't ours. It feels like a hard balance to overcome

>>2705744
Stop rewriting and start revising. Take a razor to your work and cut out any and all lines and scenes that are not entirely necessary to reach your endgame/conclusion. (Save them somewhere, don't entirely destroy them).

Go through what you have left - what you've deemed essential - and edit/revise that til it's up to your standard. Then take a look at what you removed previously and bring back stuff that fleshes out characters, or includes important detail, or is something you find not necessary, but worth putting back in the fic. Don't throw everything back in. See where your fic goes from there.
>>
>>2706116
Thanks, it definitely sounds like something I want to read.
>Pendragon
series / 627728 on AO3
>>
I have weird request does anybody have any good fanfic or any story that will help me get rid some of my rage at trans lesbian

I know it’s weird thing to ask
>>
>>2706237
I don't know how it ended on the pairing front, but the Hourou Musuko manga will probably make you feel a lot of empathy for the transgirl MC.
>>
I know people have different tastes and quality can be such a subjective thing, but do you ever feel your soul shrivel when you come across a truly bad fic that's somehow extremely popular and recommended by everyone?
>>
>>2706251
Depends on the fic in question.

If it is My Immortal-tier or Peter Chimaera-tier, then I'll assume the recommendations are ironic.
If the fic and the recommendations take themselves seriously, then yeah, I'll start wondering what's in the water. Maybe have some fun MST3K'ing it.
>>
File: 1536016204.jpg (210 KB, 768x1024)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>2706251
Not really.
I just assume that most of the recs are from younger fans who have lower standards for prose and characterization.
Setting nostalgia aside, some of my favorite fics from 10 years ago would seem cringeworthy if I reread them now.
>>
>>2706251
Nah. There's no point in spoiling the fun for the younger readers. But, I do admit I get jealous of the attention more popular pairings and M/F writers get.
>>
>>2706251
pretty much every story recommended here

I can't say anything for their character development or plot progression when the base prose is evidently garbage in the first paragraph and I drop it like a sack of bricks.
>>
>>2706402
Nice baiterino, bro. Here's your (You).

>>2706244
Second this, though the character(s) in Hourou Musuko are hardly similar to the less amicable bunch of today's western trans women.
>>
>>2706263
I'm talking about 20+ year olds rec'ing bad fics. There was this one Glee fic that was so absolutely bad that I knew it was garbage at 17 and yet there were 20-30 year olds going crazy for it.
>>
>>2705772
A really good one has been "Legacies are Complicated" by brydylcai on the Archive. Features a great "old marrieds" relationship with Hooch/McGonagall and a teen female OC who's American but ends up being in the UK by Hooch and McGonagall when her parents turn out to be Death Eater expats who fled Britain after the first war. Set around Order of the Phoenix, series wise.

Hasn't updated since May though.
>>
>>2706449
Which one, out of curiosity?
>>
>>2706436
it ain't b8 m8. Prose is incredibly easy to tell if it's good or bad within the first paragraph. It's possible for it to improve as the story progresses but very rarely. Fortunately for authors, most people can't tell the difference between good and bad prose. Unfortunately for me, most authors can't either, and 99% of fanfics (including the recs here) have bad prose
>>
>>2706592
Sure imouto
>>
>>2706593
all this tells me is you're not at the level where you can distinguish good prose from average/bad prose
>>
>>2706596
Now if only you knew where the line was between avoiding stories because you feel the prose is poor, and avoiding them because you're sort of burned out on them. Don't forget that supply and demand Place apart in the stories that get popular. When demand is high, poorly written stories do better.

Then again you talk about authors being fortunate because readers can't tell that what they are reading is bad. Some people just have different standards. Is what it is. Nothing to be fortunate or unfortunate about, LOL.
>>
>>2706600
you sound incredibly butthurt. I'm not burned out on stories at all. In fact, I'm desperate for any good fics because my standards for prose are so high, and so I read so little.

No standard for prose is the reality for the vast majority of people. For those who can distinguish bad from good prose, nothing can make up for it. Prose is the foundation for writing. If it sucks, nothing you write will make it good.
>>
>>2706604
That's not being butthurt but nice to see you reaching for that when someone's contesting your shitpost.
>>
I wrote a FGO fanfic based on the Prisma Illya event where Chloe captures Ritsuka and forces her to have sex with Miyu.

https://pastebin.com/897JezRR
>>
>>2706607
Again I really have no idea why you keep calling my claims shitpost or bait. I clearly explain my views about prose in fanfiction. You are not at the level where you can distinguish good prose by average/bad prose, so you reflexively lash out at what I'm saying. You haven't actually put forth a single argument.
>>
>>2706541
Should Have Asked For Directions.
>>
Please don't respond to the prose troglodyte, it's an exercise in futility.
>>
>>2706626
must be easy to dismiss everything you disagree with
>>
>>2706263
got a link to that fic
>>
Maybe it'll be easier to understand what I'm talking about prose with an example. I'll use the HP fic here>>2706116

>"Bye Lily, bye Albus, bye James," said Ginny fondly as the Potter family gathered on Platform 9 ¾.

From the outset, the dialogue is cliche. Starting a fic with dialogue is generally a bad idea but it can work. Real people do not talk like that.Real dialogue works at cross-purposes: people rarely directly respond to each other. Dialogue like in the fic only exists in poorly-written movies. There is also an immense amount of modifiers with dialogue. The author doesn't commit the cardinal sin of avoiding "said," but almost every line of dialogue is modified: "ruffling hair," "looked meaningfully," "laughing," "shaking his head," etc. Overuse of modifiers destroys dialogue.

There's also a huge amount of filler dialogue. Amateur writers tend to write what they think people talk like in real life, and in real life there IS a lot of filler dialogue, e.g. you say Hi to people, ask them what's up, receive meaningless answers in return. The author of the fic directly translates this kind of dialogue into her writing, which simply wastes a lot of of the reader's time. Writing is not real life - you need to distill the important bits, not write down every time people say Hi to each other.
>>
>>2706642
Cont.

As we move on with the rest of the chapter, we quickly see it falls into a pattern: dialogue interspersed with a sentence or two of action, followed by more dialogue, followed by more action. Literally for the entire chapter, this formula is used. The action here is prosaic at best: the author describes exactly what's going on like a scientist describing an experiment. It feels dead. The prose plods dutifully from point A to point B without pause. There are some moments of introspection and characterization, but this should form the bulk of your prose, not the minority.

Again, the author tries to mimic too much of real life, where action can only happen as slowly as time permits it. Writing does not work the same way - important bits should take up lots of space, while unimportant parts can be glossed over. Much of the dialogue and action are frankly meaningless and can be condensed.

>When the Hogwarts Express pulled up at Hogsmeade Station several hours later, the four third years left their compartment and joined the throng heading toward the horseless carriages that would take them up to the castle. Hugo quickly abandoned Lily for Al and Scorpius. As she watched him run to the Slytherins, she shook her head in mild disgust. When Hugo had first been sorted into Slytherin, she was sure they could still remain friends. But he had taken to Slytherin ideals far faster than she expected. They had drifted apart. Worse yet, she wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

Note the last parts are just my attempt to inject some characterization and introspection into the writing. I have no clue if that's how the character really feels.
>>
>>2706650
Cont.

All the problems I described are present within the first few sentences. This is what I mean when I say you can easily tell whether a fic's writing is good by its first paragraph.

Another point: not really prose-related, but the author introduces way too many characters in the first chapter. Before the first page break alone, we're introduced to 5 characters (NOT including Harry or Ginny since I assume they won't play a major part). All 5 of these characters are OCs. We're introduced to even more OCs as the chapter progresses. The reader has no time to breath, no time to care about a character before a new one is immediately introduced.
>>
>>2706655
Forgot to add: a lot of everyday actions can be skipped - the reader will instinctively fill in the blanks.

>Lily waved to her parents one last time and then hurried toward the train. As she got on, her friends Marica and Dawn beckoned to her from the first compartment.

>"Hey," she said, stowing her trunk overhead and then sitting down across from her friends.

>"How was your summer?" said Dawn, blowing her long brown bangs out of her eyes.

This can easily be cut down to:

>Lily waved to her parents one last time and hurried toward the train. Marica and Dawn beckoned to her from the first compartment.

>"Hey," she said, stowing her trunk overhead.

>"How was your summer?" said Dawn, blowing her long brown bangs out of her eyes.

It's obvious what happens even if it's not explicitly stated; your reader's not stupid. Cutting out extraneous action makes for better, leaner writing.
>>
>>2706639
http://webspace.webring.com/people/uc/cyberan0/fsn_kq_index.html
When I reread it a few years ago, I got the sense that the author did virtually no research on Type-Moon and King Arthur.
>>
>>2706674
I think I stopped reading when Merlin put sugarcubes in her tea.
>>
>>2706715
Really? That's hilarious. Do they eat potatoes too?
>>
File: wtf am I reading.png (36 KB, 899x703)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>2706722
Spaghetti and meatballs are on the menu.
Everyone talks like they're visiting ye olde renaissance faire.
Rin faints and gets a nosebleed almost every chapter as if she were the protagonist of a bad harem comedy.
It's a subpar fic in almost every way, yet it picked up a huge following in its time.
>>
>>2706760
We're sure this is Arturian times, right?
>>
>>2706760
Why haven't I ever heard of this glorious trainwreck before?
>>
>>2706624
I remember not being able to get through that, didn't really give it much thought after that.
>>
>>2706661
I actually agree with you completely, but I would have just dropped that fic after the first chapter without giving much consideration as to why. (Unless it was a rarepair I'm desperate to read something about.) There must be some way to get your point across the rest of the time without seeming like an insufferable prat.
>>
>>2706785
literally all I said was "most prose sucks," which is true. People just aren't at the level where they can distinguish it yet, so they take it as a personal attack against their writing/reading skills and reflexively lash out, despite the fact that fanfiction having no standards is a defining trait of fanfiction. Overall it's a good thing since it allows burgeoning writers to better themselves. I also sucked when I started out. I wouldn't be at the level I am today without fanfiction, but unfortunately that also means I'm more aware of its flaws.
>>
>>2706800
Your posts bring back memories of the /v/ discussions about "artificial fun" in video games. Incidentally those people were also enlightened by their own intelligence.
>>
>>2706642
>>2706650
These two posts should be required reading for anyone new to writing fanfiction.
> important bits should take up lots of space, while unimportant parts can be glossed over
>filler dialogue...simply wastes a lot of of the reader's time
Filler anything just shouldn't exist in fanfic. No one's being paid by the word, so there's no excuse for boring your audience.
>>
>>2706912
Maybe get off your high horse when you suggest something.
>>
>>2706849
what I'm saying is backed up by every writing blog on the internet. It's not some sort of special secret insight only I know. Open up any "guide to writing" book and you'll find the same advice.
>>
>>2706661
Just to drive home the point about dialogue:

>"Hi, Lily."
>"Hi River, How was your summer?"
>"Fine. How about yours?"
>"It was good, but I'm glad to be back at school. With all my friends."
>"Yeah. Me too."

This is what I mean by the author attempting to mimic real dialogue. She only ends up with boring, pointless, UNREALISTIC dialogue. Nobody talks like this in real life except awkward middle-aged coworkers who bump into each other at the water cooler. In real life, people rarely directly respond to what's asked, and dialogue is often only tangentially related to what came before, if not something else altogether.
>>
>>2707115
I dunno man, I talk a lot to a lot of people and we’re not generally shooting off in random directions independently of one another. A conversation doesn’t exactly progress successfully like that.
>>
>>2707163
you do. Ofc you don't talk randomly, but the natural flow of a conversation jumps, not walks. You just don't notice the jumps because you automatically fill in the blanks. Take this dialogue:

>How'd you do on the test?
>Not good. So much stuff they never taught us
>Yeah it was rough. Where you heading?
>I'm going back to PA this weekend. My dad has photos of my sis's wedding.
>4 hour drive for some photos? Didn't you go to the wedding?
>Yeah
>damn you must love your sis.
>you a fan of board games? We're getting a group together in riland building (my other friend says this)
>Nah I gotta go eat, still haven't had lunch yet
>it's late
>yeah I don't like to eat lunch cuz then I'll fall asleep during the test. I'm heading out
>later

there's several jumps in topic. Going strictly from point A to point B in dialogue is unrealistic, and skilled readers will instantly realize how forced the dialogue sounds. In writing you often do have a purpose, so you don't have the luxury or meandering, but there are still ways to give off a natural feel. In any case, there's never a reason for filler.
>>
>>2707175
So do you actually write fanfics or do you just have lots of opinions about them on /u/?
>>
>>2707176
I've written 35 fics over ~10 years. I've posted several of them here, but most of them aren't /u/ (to be fair, most of them aren't het either, a lot of what I write are nonromantic oneshots). For what it's worth, I've also had a short story published and I'm currently working on a novel, though there's a 90% chance nothing will come of it.
>>
>>2706800
As someone who spends much of their time reading novels - classics, contemporary works, unknown things, well known and well regarded works, etc. - I completely understand the desire for good prose, and the disappointment that many fics just don't have it.

That said, your expectation for fanfiction is flat out irresponsible. Fanfics are written overwhelmingly by amateurs, and often younger ones. Don't go in expecting fucking Nabokov when you're reading lesbian fanfiction. Temper your expectations and enjoy what you can. Let the good works be happy surprises.

It would be very nice if more people appreciated, and learned how to write, proper prose and well-paced/structured/written fanfics. But they don't. Waving your big dick about how much better your appreciation of written works happens to be in a medium almost by nature something created by literally un-professional writers is retarded. I truly hope more authors over time learn how to write effective and enjoyable prose, and I try very hard to do so in my own fics, but it's not something I'm going to lord over others the way you do.
>>
>>2707175
>Ofc you don't talk randomly
I think this is the thing you’re skating over - plenty of conversations do proceed quite linearly, but with a considerably more relaxed cadence than the first example, or hopping to another topic either brought up in the conversation or from surrounding context. Even your example is primarily like that, with the exception of the third party cutting in about board games. There’s a subtle consistency to most exchanges which is why people usually comment when something is a sudden change.
>>
>>2707205
I've been in the fanfic community for 10+ years. I only have high standards because I absolutely have read incredible works with stellar prose and stellar everything else. And I'm not alone. Everybody has that one fic they return to time and time again and made themselves think, "I want to write something that has as much of an impact on others as this had on me."

Fanfics are usually terrible, and I don't fault burgeoning writers for being shit. It's even perfectly okay to enjoy works you acknowledge aren't good. If Dan Brown has taught us anything, it's that you can write huge popular, entertaining stories at a middle-school prose level. The problem comes when people are so insulated they don't even recognize the difference between bad and good. The /u/ fanfic threads especially are incredibly insulated. Virtually everyone's gushing over fics 24/7. Take a look at my comment. I said most fanfic prose sucks - an fact that should be obvious to everyone - and a horde of butthurt kiddies immediately take it as a personal attack and call me a troll. Reflexively lashing out at anyone who dislikes what you like is fucking stupid. It's the bane of discussion. It's the bane of progress. Several times I've posted tips on how to write fanfic better, and again complete retards with zero clue of how to write blast me. The problem isn't "lording" knowledge of others. The problem is nobody even realizing that knowledge exists.
>>
>>2707216
My main purpose is pointing out how stiff the dialogue in the HP fic feels. Real life dialogue does jump around, and so writing at a cross-purposes in general gives a more authentic feeling, but yes, I agree there are many ways to write dialogue, and linear conversations is one way to do so when done well. A lot of times linear dialogue is unavoidable. My complaint is against stiff, filler dialogue.
>>
>>2707217
>The /u/ fanfic threads especially are incredibly insulated. Virtually everyone's gushing over fics 24/7.
Except they’re practically devoid of recs and move like molasses unless we’re discussing writing fic instead of written fic because we’re all totally aware that there’s barely anything decent worth reading these days. But what would be the point of just posting what we don’t like all the time? When anons do post requesting crit they generally seem accepting of whatever they get, even if it’s completely ripped apart. I just don’t care about most those fandoms to interact.
>>
>>2707220
Stiff, artificial dialogue is obviously bad, but you undermine your own valid criticism when you start picking at stuff that’s fine if executed naturally.
>>
>>2707217
Maybe it has to do with the airs your putting on and how you reach when you get friction. That couldn't be it because that puts you as part of the problem.
>>
>>2707217
Alright then I want to see your taste firsthand. Give me some recs.
>>
>>2707225
dude my criticism is targeted directly against that HP fic, and ofc my advice on writing dialogue is not the sole way to do things. No rules in writing are absolute

>>2707227
it's 4chan m8, not fucking reddit. My posts aren't even said in an inflammatory manner, the only people who take it that way are really fucking insecure about their tastes.
>>
>>2707232
>In real life, people rarely directly respond to what's asked
Bitch, if I’m asked how my summer was, I’m gonna fucking tell you how my summer was, whether you’re my bezzie mate or my water cooler awkward work associate.
>>
>>2707217
>Virtually everyone's gushing over fics 24/7
For one thing, I'm not sure what you expect out of a fanfic thread other than talking about fanfics. But there are actually too few recommendations, and certainly most people mention if something has decidedly good or obviously bad prose. You just sound like you don't spend much time here.

> I said most fanfic prose sucks - an fact that should be obvious to everyone - and a horde of butthurt kiddies immediately take it as a personal attack and call me a troll.
>The problem isn't "lording" knowledge of others. The problem is nobody even realizing that knowledge exists.

But you see, it's this that's the problem - you're fucking blind and projecting. Of course we know here that most fanfic prose is bad, or at least not amazing. But that doesn't have to be said - it's inherent in the idea and the connotation of "fanfiction", which is, again, mostly made of amateur works. You come in here and yell "everything sucks and you guys are stupid for not talking about it all the time", when really, it simply doesn't mean to be said. If you worked for a company that made chinese plastic knock-off toys, I think the other workers might get upset when, in the middle of a shift, you begin to yell that the products might not be good, and that the other workers are dumb for somehow missing this.
>>
>>2707237
doesn't need* to be said
>>
>>2707230
Rhapsody, K-on Ritsu/Mio fic
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5344508/1/Rhapsody
amazing quality of writing with hands-down the best introduction I've ever read in a fic.

A Cure For Loneliness, Code Geass Kallen/CC
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7336248/1/A-Cure-For-Loneliness
quite rare for yuri to appear in Code Geass, and this is the best I've come across

those are the /u/ ones off the top of my head, I'm probably forgetting a bunch. /u/ is so small compared to fandom in general it's hard to find high-quality stuff.
>>
>>2707237
Have you written comedy before? Because I couldn’t stop laughing at that mental image.
>>
>>2707237
when people recommend that HP fic as good, you can't honestly say they realize the difference. And not just that HP fic but a lot of fics discussed on here

>>2707236
yeah but you're not going to go "My summer was good. I went to Paris with my family. We visited the Eiffel Tower. Afterwards, we went to the Arc du Triumph. We stayed for a week. It was a great way to experience culture and history."
>>
>>2707246
That’s a criticism of the stilted delivery, not necessarily the content of the dialogue itself because I’m perfectly likely to say most of that, paraphrased.
>>
>>2707246
Also, just say it’s shit then when someone posts instead of needing to be a supercilious prick
>>
>>2707249
delivery and content go hand in hand.

>>2707250
>i like this fic
>it's shit
now THAT is shitposting
>>
>>2707255
Some people talk differently and that’s okay, anon.
>>
>>2707257
yeah if you're specifically trying to write an autistic person with stunted social skills
>>
>>2707261
Hey, they’re perfectly valid characters too.
>>
>>2707245
Is this sarcasm? I don't know if I've ever written anything as an intentional comedy, but I do often add funny bits here and there when it fits.

>>2707246
>when people recommend that HP fic as good, you can't honestly say they realize the difference. And not just that HP fic but a lot of fics discussed on here
It's almost as though people have different levels of acceptance for what's good or bad. I understand that there's objectively good and objectively bad fanfics out there, but personal differences/levels of acceptance/etc. obviously also come into play. That HP fic sounds dumb - sure. And the dialog you've picked from it is stilted and unnatural - also sure. But the overall plot progression/characterization may be what that anon was looking for, and they may have overlooked the terrible prose on purpose. This is a balancing game, and you're never going to be able to get everything you want - especially not when good fanfics are rare in het and /y/, let alone in a smaller niche like /u/. It's a take-what-you-can-get kind of world.

As another point, though:
>I said most fanfic prose sucks...and a horde of butthurt kiddies immediately take it as a personal attack
>and again complete retards with zero clue of how to write blast me
>>2706402
>pretty much every story recommended here

I wonder why people call you out for being a nasty cunt. It's not constructive criticism you offer, it's nose-turned-up elitism with an infuriatingly patronizing tone.
>>
>>2707263
No kidding, I liked it.

This is going round in circles anyway, night /u/
>>
>>2707263
if terrible prose was overlooked, then a simple "I know prose sucks but I still enjoy it" would've been all that needed to be said. It's perfectly okay to enjoy stuff like that. Instead a bunch of dumbasses got mad as fuck someone didn't like their favorite fic

most recommended fics have shitty prose is the nicest way to put that fact. Again this is fucking 4chan, the entire purpose is you say what's on your mind without worrying about offending anyone. Softening criticism necessarily removes part of it. If someone wants to lambast my stories I'd be happy to hear their thoughts

literally all I'm doing is trying to break up the insulation of these threads. way too much circlejerking by clueless people perpetuates more clueless people
>>
>>2707244
Hmm, Rhapsody is good but not the best I've seen. Code Geass doesn't interest me, so I'm not going to read that. I'm guessing by the fact that these two came to mind off the top of your head that you're mostly in anime fandoms? Western fandoms have better quality writing generally, by the sheer fact that there's way more authors and fics there. I haven't seen anyone rec anything that could top Truth and Measure, a Devil Wears Prada fic.
>>
>>2707271
I exclusively follow anime/manga and vidya. I don't follow western stuff at all except for some novels, of which HP used to be one. I guess AtlA/Korra counts as westernshit though

the best fic I've ever read and the best story I've ever read - including novels - is a Zelda Twilight Princess fic. It's not /u/ so I won't like it but it has stellar prose and a raw, visceral characterization wrapped up in an excellent plot. The author vanished, as these types often do. I'll never admit my prose was heavily influenced by a fanfic author but it 100% is. Truth and Measure seems good but again since I don't follow the fandom I can't say anything
>>
When did writing fanfiction stop being about having fun first and foremost? Maybe I'll hang out in the lit threads from now on.
>>
>>2707312
Ignore the snob. Have you read anything interesting lately?
>>
>>2707312
It's literally just one condescending turd that got everyone riled up cause they think absolute objective quality is required to enjoy something and considers themself intellectually superior for having realized this. Even if you had the best fucking burger in your life last week and can't even compare other burgers anymore, that doesn't mean your brain isn't still going to enjoy McDonald's garbage. And it doesn't mean going around telling people that they're enjoying the wrong burgers is productive or smart in any way, shape or form. Maybe one person out of ten will take your bait and go have that amazing burger themselves, and maybe even like it better. But the other nine are just gonna be annoyed because they just want to enjoy their McD's without someone hitching a ride up their asshole. And then you belittle the majority a bit more just cause they don't agree with you, and in true blue 4chan fashion call them butthurt and get elated when that one person out of ten posts and says they agree.
>>
>>2707312
>>2707316
>>2707346
nigga I'm not shitting on anyone for their tastes, just bringing up a topic (prose) that most people ignore. It's easy to pick apart characters and plot holes, but prose is something you're not going to notice unless you've been reading or writing for a while. I said MULTIPLE TIMES that it's okay to enjoy reading poor fics (fuck I'm literally reading a Dan Brown novel right now), but you have to realize the difference, otherwise you're forever going to be stuck reading shitty fics and will never progress.

The only people who get offended are those insecure about their tastes. You have to be really fucking butthurt to take a discussion on prose as a personal attack.
>>
>>2707316
Not that anon, but I recently started the new Star Trek and absolutely played myself by looking for fic: /works/12761715/chapters/29114118. This is only the second time I've been into age-gap and it's all thanks to Michelle Yeoh.
>>
>>2707461
>I'm not shitting on anyone's taste but you're still reading the wrong things

Can you at least contradict yourself in two separate posts instead of the same one?

>you have to realize the difference

Why? Explain this to me without pushing your tastes and values up my asshole.
>>
>>2707491
It's perfectly fine to enjoy "bad" works as long as you recognize their flaws. I enjoy reading Dan Brown novels despite his complete inability to write or characterize. I'm watching the Persona 5 anime right now and despite its low production values and habit of throwing away characters after their arc is over, I still enjoy it. People in /a/ threads constantly shit over the anime, calling it rushed, slow, shitty animations, cutting stuff out, etc. and guess what? I agree with them, but I still enjoy the show anyway.

It's about ACCEPTING A WORK'S FLAWS. A well-reasoned response to "most fics recommended here have shit prose" would be "even though the prose is bad I enjoy reading them anyway." Instead you fucking troglodytes lash out with "my tastes are great you're a snob for shitting on my tastes" despite the fact nothing of the sort was implied. This is why I call you insecure. That embodies the worst part of fanboyism - blind love of a work and reflexive retaliation against any criticism.

The first step to improvement is realizing there's a flaw. People are never going to grow as a writer if they always think their prose is perfect - or, even worse, if they don't realize the difference between good and bad prose at all.
>>
>>2707491
>without pushing tastes and values
Pretty sure that's impossible for him.
>>
>>2707551
nigga the only "value" I'm pushing is "you should be aware of prose"
>>
>>2707465
Sounds better than Discovery just from the tags.
>>
>>2707549
To be fair, if you think Persona is a good story, you shouldn't be judging other people's tastes.
>>
>>2707576
fuck off troll my tastes are impeccable
>>
>>2707576
>if you think Persona is a good story

They're implying the opposite.
>>
>>2707583
No. They're implying the anime is a bad adaptation. I'm implying Persona as a whole is bad.
>>
>>2707584
go to /a/ or /v/ this is not the place to talk about a male MC harem
>>
>>2707549
Point out some people in this thread who have replied to you offending their taste instead of you being an abrasive and insufferable nerd. The problem isn't what you're saying, it's how you're saying it. It's pretty funny that you seem to think pushing your opinions to the people in this thread is "teaching" or "enlightening" and others telling their opinions to you is "lashing out" and "retaliating".
>>
>>2707605
see>>2706436
>>2706593
>>2706607
>>2706626
>>2706849
flat-out dismissal calling my argument as trolling without actually putting forth any arguments of their own. Blatant ignorance of prose and calling wanting good prose "snobbish." Nothing I said was said in an inflammatory way, I didn't call out any specific fics for being shitty.

THIS is inflammatory: you're a giant fucking thing-skinned retard insecure in your own tastes, stuck so far up your own ass you refuse to believe anything you like can have flaws because you take it as a personal attack on you. Now fuck off unless you have some actual discussion about prose. I'm suck of arguing with some retard whose sole "argument" is "you're hurting my feelings"
>>
>>2707608
Another anon, but tell me, then. Why does it matter? Like, I'm really curious.
Like:
>but you have to realize the difference, otherwise you're forever going to be stuck reading shitty fics and will never progress.
So? If they're being entertained, why should they change? That's why people read, for fun.

>People are never going to grow as a writer if they always think their prose is perfect
Agree with you there, but that's a problem with the writer, not the reader. And yet, you give another point.

>I enjoy reading Dan Brown novels despite his complete inability to write or characterize.
I agree with Dan Brown being a bad writer and I personally dislike his books. I don't find them fun at all. But you know what? They're fucking best sellers. What's the point in writing better if it won't make you a more successful writer?
Personally, I want to get better. That would be my feeling as a writer. I just want to look at something I wrote and feel good about it. Feel like I understand why other people would like it, because it's good.
But that's me. I won't push this to anyone else. Some people just want to write silly stories without compromise and they have their public. Why should they change?
That's even more true for readers. Readers shouldn't give a shit about their taste being refined or not. Readers should just read. They'll read and connect with the story or not. If they think a badly written fic is bad, so be it. It doesn't change the fact that they have fun with it. If their tastes do change, that'll be a natural progression, no one will force it.
That's why I feel like this discussion is more about elitism than anything else.
>>
>>2707613
a badly written fic is good
>>
>>2707613
This discussion is about elitism. The troglodyte just isn't self-aware enough to realize what he's doing.
>>
>>2707613
You don't need a reason to raise standards, or at the very least making people aware that other standards exist.
>>
>>2707571
I actually have a bit more goodwill for this show so far than a lot of people I've seen. I'm just really tired of all the hot takes I see from people who want to be outraged and offended. A reactionary position, I know, but damn I don't want to let fandom ruin another thing for me. Nevertheless, the slow burn in the fanfic really highlights why I'm not really convinced by Michael's canon relationship. It's just eh to me.
>>
>>2707608
>Now fuck off unless you have some actual discussion about prose.
>>2693505

This is the fanfiction thread. The one wasting everyone's time is you. Leave.
>>
>>2707608
Now show me which parts of those replies implies they're buttmad because of you insulting their taste instead of just wanting the belligerent snob to go away
>>
>>2707656
>prose isn't fanfiction
fuck off retard
>>
>>2707658
denser than a blackhole
>>
>>2707660
Not nice to put yourself down like that.
>>
>>2707619
We need a reason for everything. If you can't find a reason, we probably don't need it.
>>
>>2707670
I have no doubt my analysis of the prose in that HP fic was helpful for some people to understand what good and bad prose meant.
>>
>>2707650
It's not a bad show, but I'd definitely rather watch the adventures of Captain Michelle Yeoh.
>>
I tried to scroll through the thread but between all the arguing I couldn't find the actual recommendations. Since y'all talking about HP FF fics, any recommendations there?
>>
>>2707734
Which pairings?
>>
>>2707730
My kingdom for the seven years Michael served under Philippa.
>>
>>2707735
>Thinking I'm not desperate enough for any pairing
But if there's actual plot and not just slice of life, that'd be awesome.
>>
>>2707608
I think the thing is that you clearly don't have uniquely higher standards than most the anons in these threads or else we'd have considerably more links posted more often because, as you've pointed out and none of us have disagreed with, the general quality of most fanfiction is fairly low. It's literally just your tone putting people's backs up. Not because you're telling us we read shit, (we mostly know we read shit, and if we don't and we're having fun wallowing in it, well more power to those anons.) but because you're positing yourself as the sole enlightened figure come to raise us from our ignorance. Even the people who could benefit from what you've learned are probably going to dismiss you because you sort of constantly come off sounding like a condescending know it all.

I also noticed the last time you linked your most highly thought of yuri fics that you seem to like a particularly stylised form of prose which honestly strikes me as more pseudo-intellectual (and tell-don't-show) than anything else, but we all have our preferences.
>t. a former condescending know it all

And for something completely different, do any of you struggle with making your dialogue feel natural and faithful to the source material, particularly given unreliable translations of anime and manga and manners of speech we don't really have in English? Dekomori's DEATHs stress me out.
>>
>>2707730
>but I'd definitely rather watch the adventures of Captain Michelle Yeoh.
Who wouldn't?
It's really a shame she's mainland and will therefore NEVER EVER be in anything with even strong yuri subtext
>>
>>2707740
>we mostly know we read shit
lol no. given the retarded-ass replies here, people do NOT know they're reading shitty prose. This applies to fiction too, not just fanfiction. Prose is not something casual readers pick up on - it's something only skilled readers and writers realize. In fact, most people probably don't even know what "prose" means, as it's a nebulous, catch-all term used to refer to many things

>the last time you linked your most highly thought of yuri fics
when the fuck was that? Rhapsody is the only yuri fic I've recommended more than once

There's nothing wrong with dense prose just as there's nothing wrong with simplistic prose. It's personal taste and quite stupid to consider enjoying it as pseudo-intellectual.
>>
>>2707748
>In fact, most people probably don't even know what "prose" means, as it's a nebulous, catch-all term used to refer to many things
Which I think perfectly captures why I'm not particularly fond of it as a word and why you seem like a massive prat for harping on about it endlessly.

I think I was mistaken about you linking to more yuri fics in the past, I think you actually linked to your own ff account at some point and I looked at your favourite fics. If it wasn't you I'm apparently bashing some other anons taste too, but by and large I stand by what I said.
>>
>>2707741
>It's really a shame she's mainland
Actually not, she's malaysian chinese but unfortunately she's still reliant on the mainland for work so what you said still stands
>>
>>2707760
I don't have any favorite fics, I favorite my authors not fics.

Prose has many uses but the specific definition here clearly refers to writing style.
>>
>>2707740
>And for something completely different, do any of you struggle with making your dialogue feel natural and faithful to the source material
Reminds me that I wanted to do a SayoHina story, but I don't want to use "BOOPING", or whatever the shitty they used in the localization. I would just use the original, but then no one would get.
Fuck you, localization team.
>>
>>2707760
I only read yuri fics written by Shakespeare.
>>
>>2707802
Twelfth Night was pretty boss
>>
>Prose
Can this word be filtered already? This thread is supposed to be about yuri fics, not being a Black Belt Reader.
>>
>>2707809
life must be easy when you ignore everything you dislike
>>
>>2707810
You should try it more.
>>
I really need more sci-fi femslash. I went looking for a favorite Metroid fic today only to discover the author deleted all their work. Poured one out. I'm burnt out on Mass Effect, I have no idea where to start with Warehouse 13 and the idea of trawling through websites older than my sister for a decent J/7 fic makes me want to shoot myself. I guess I'll try my luck with The Expanse.
>>
>>2707858
Ain't there some Fringe oneshots you could trawl for. Might be age gap with older woman and a woman in her thirties, but I remember there being one about Mc and her sister in a parallel world.
>>
>>2707861
I can't with Fringe. Too many memories of how the show became All About Peter Bishop. I got my hopes up that Star Trek would bring some fic my way, but while I like Tilly, she's a redhead with a ton of curls so that's a no. There's just too many dudes in this Trek.
>>
>>2707874
Fair enough. Star wars? Admittedly that'd be scrapping the bottom of the goddamn barrel
>>
>>2707875
Lesbian Jedi are great. Haven't had a good fix of them since KOTOR. Rogue One could have only been more perfect if Cassian was female but desu, I don't begrudge the straights for this one.
>>
>>2707884
I'd suggest tor but again you'd have to go trawling and you'd have to be rather blaise about SW lore during the old republic. Admittedly that's not that hard but playing the KOTOR games can sour some stuff because of what EA/bioware did.
>>
>>2707858
>burnt out on Mass Effect
Have you read OSaBC, though?
>>
>>2707914
Never heard of it before. Looks like another rewrite?
>>
>>2707924
It goes pretty far off the rails of direct rewrite, but it's mostly a thorough de-Biowaring of the setting, and probably the best renegade!Shep characterisation I've read.
>>
>>2707924
It's by a writer who takes GRRM-esque pleasure in wallowing in his own edginess, but on the other hand it is pretty gay
>>
>could probably write Mass Effect fic
>hate "reapers" BS
>no one would read a non-reaper fic

Well, fuck. Oh well, maybe someday.
>>
>>2708163
>no one would read a non-reaper fic
There are several which have reasonably large audiences out there, and I'd probably read it, depending on the ship and all
>>
>>2707730
In a better universe, my alternate self got a show where Captain Michelle Yeoh seduced a lot of women in the course of completing the mission.
>>
>>2707740
>And for something completely different, do any of you struggle with making your dialogue feel natural and faithful to the source material, particularly given unreliable translations of anime and manga and manners of speech we don't really have in English? Dekomori's DEATHs stress me out.

It's definitely a struggle when it comes to certain characters - even something simple, like if a character ends their sentences with yo/ne a lot, constantly using "you know?" or "Right" or "isn't it" gets repetitive and boring. I have no idea how you could do Dekomori.
>>
>>2707740
>Dekomori's DEATHs stress me out.
Just end a couple of her lines per dialogue with DEATH in all caps. It's supposed to be unnatural and mildly annoying.
>>
>>2707803
Is there a Twelfth Night ff fanfic out there?
>>
>>2708425
>>2708599
>on Dekomori
That means it's time to get the wordplay and puns hat on, such as giving the "deathly" adjective/adverb the best workout it'll ever get, replacing the "des" sound (in "descent", for example") with "death", using terms like "you'll be the death of me", etc.
>>
>>2708599
god don't fucking do this. It's obnoxious and cringeworthy, and not in the way you intend it to be. There are some things you can do in anime that you can't do in writing. Verbal ticks are one of them. Don't use them. Capture the essence of the character, not the exact dialogue.
>>
File: 1446750400466.jpg (60 KB, 680x381)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8804250/1/Megami-no-Hanabira
This deserves more attention, it's fucking metal
>>
>>2708624
What should a Twelfth Night F/F fic contain?
>>
Somebody recommended a Witcher fic titled Smoke and Mirrors (by beeftony), but another anon I think mentioned it was shit. Am I remembering right?
>>
>>2708836
I don't think it's fair to call it shit.
It's very well-written and the plot is quite interesting.
I haven't found a fanfic author who writes Ciri better.
If there's a problem, it's that the main pairing does take a back seat to an ever-expanding cast of characters.
I would have preferred to read more about Mistle and less about some OCs whose importance to the main story still isn't obvious.
(One of the OCs is trans but isn't paired with anyone important).
>>
>>2708730
I struggle to see how you can capture the essence of the character without reproducing a vocal tick that’s a defining aspect of her character.
>>
>>2708804
Seconded.
>just updated
Nice.
>>
>>2708935
Likely has to do with frequency in written dialogue compared to animu.
>>
I'd like to go back to writing things, but I don't know how to start. It happened easy before, but now I'm all lost.

I feel like I'm getting progressively less intelligent and creative with age. Wasn't it supposed to be the other way around?
>>
>>2703740
I just finished reading the first book and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for linking it. It was funny how Izumi used video game tropes to her advantage in battle. A 38-year-old drunken kissless virgin storming into battle with a greatsword while wearing a dress that her tits are falling out of to save a teenage princess while everything is on fire is great. I really liked the worldbuilding, too. Ai-chan is such a troll. I legitimately giggled with excitement when I saw that there's another completed sequel and the author is working on a third book. This is going to make my long hours at work much more bearable.
>If it's a princess, then shouldn't it be fine, even if it's between girls…? Or, does it count? It counts, right? A kiss is a kiss!”
Isekai yuri is great.
>>
>>2709038
Not saying it perhaps shouldn’t be toned down or reinterpreted per >>2708657 and some versions of the shows subs, but removing it entirely seems counterproductive to good characterisation.
>>
>>2709125
>I feel like I'm getting progressively less intelligent and creative with age.
Maybe you should see a doctor.
>>
>>2709125
>other way around
Not really. As you get older things become more crystalline, concept-wise, unless you're regularly doing creative things.
>>
>>2709145
Last time I seen a doctor, he gave me antipsychotics so hardcore I could barely stand. I decided I like standing upright too much to go through this again.
>>
>>2709147
Maybe you should see a different doctor and maybe get more involved with what they're giving you instead of just popping it.
>>
>>2709150
Nah, that was the best option there is. It's just I'm way more susceptible to side-effects than I am to medication that is supposed to correct those side-effects.
>>
>>2709147
I'm not a doctor or anything, but if they gave you antipsychotics, you definitely needs one.
Isn't just that your body needs to get used to it anyway?
>>
>>2709157
I went through one course and I got better, but no way I'm going through this again.

And getting used takes way too long for me to bear
>>
>>2709157
>definitely
Not necessarily, doctors definitely misdiagnose at times, but this really isn’t what this thread is about.
>>
>>2709125
You've got Alzheimer's, Grandma.
>>
>>2707802
>>2707803
>tfw no Hermia/Helena "A Midsummer Night's Dream" fics
>>
>>2709125
Use your condition to write those stories no one knows what the fuck it was about, but they find it deep.
Like, they're lesbians, but they're made of chocolate, because white chocolate is female and black chocolate is male. But they like female better because female bodily fluids is milk, and they like milk better than the coffe from male chocolate because they like sleeping.
>>
>>2709240
Be honest, how high are you right now?
>>
>>2708935
in writing, quality of writing trumps everything else, including adherence to canon. Dekomori's personality is quite distinct: she's petty, she's impulsive, she's violent, she's tsundere, she's chuuni as fuck. These qualities are her essence, not her gimmick verbal tic. Trying to reproduce her verbal tic is cringeworthy - I've read many fics that tried to do this - and will only make you seem desperate.
>>
>>2709313
I dunno sis, being cringeworthy is a pretty damn big part of Dekomori's personality.

>>2709313
>quality of writing trumps everything else, including adherence to canon.
Heh
>>
>>2705337
Related to this, I recently read two fics by different authors who are both nineteen according to their blogs and the quality of the writing was suprisingly high. There were pacing issues and I had a few disagreements about characterization, but overall I was impressed.
>>
>>2709125
I have this problem because of the internet. Solely because of the internet.
Which is why I'll be taking a vacation to start a mostly internet-less life.
>>
>>2709313
Quality writing doesn’t inherently preclude verbal ticks, you just need a light hand. Never read any Pratchett? I think the bigger issue is that Chuu2 is at its heart a romcom and comedy is hard to write. Also, as an anon said, Deko is inherently cringeworthy. I still struggle to watch some of her scenes even now due to second hand embarrassment.
>>
>>2709485
>>2709538
writing verbal tics makes you, the author, seem cringeworthy, not the character. It's far more difficult (but ultimately rewarding) to truly capture a character's essence from screen to page, and far easier and lazier just to throw in verbal tics and call it a day. I've never read Pratchett, but I've literally never seen verbal tics done well in fanfiction. It might be possible if the tic is very minor or not far from regular dialogue, but Dekomori's is too out-there to fit.
>>
>>2709628
But not all characters speak regularly and uniformity of dialogue isn’t necessarily good writing. I’d literally call it mischaracterisation to not include some allusions to her speech patterns given that it’s a massive aspect of her chuunibyou.
>>
>>2709313
Popularity is not solely related to quality of writing, but also to the age of a fandom when the story is released. The population and how hungry they are for content can determine the story quality they consider acceptable for consumption.
>>
>>2709767
>But not all characters speak regularly and uniformity of dialogue isn’t necessarily good writing
no shit, nothing I said ever implied that. There are many ways to make dialogue unique to characters without resorting to lazy verbal tics. "Mischaracterization," if you can call it that, of her speech tic is a worthy trade for non-cringeworthy writing. You are literally the Naruto fic writer who includes "Dattebayo" in every line of his dialogue.

>>2709826
this is true but I'm not sure what this has to do with what I posted
>>
>>2709938
>Dattebayo
Mixing languages any more than you absolutely have to is a worse offense than using dumb tics anyways. Honestly I would see no problem adding the occasional "believe it!" in his lines for emphasis, reading Nerdo without it would feel even weirder. Same with Deko's tic, you wouldn't write DEZU and you wouldn't write it in every sentence, but the occassional "..death!" would remind you of exactly what type of character you're reading. Like a loving slap in the face.
>>
>>2709938
Except I have literally said multiple times that there’s more subtle ways to insert it. You’re the one who keeps insisting on extremes, like no verbal tic at all or else you’re a desperate hack or
>You are literally the Naruto fic writer who includes "Dattebayo" in every line of his dialogue.
like the inflammatory asshole you always, always are in these threads. I’m still on the fence as to whether your posts are an elaborate plot to sow discord in these threads or whether you just have that big a blind spot as to how your own posts read.
>>
>>2710029
>>2710062
lmao prove it. Link a single fic where Dekomori's tic is used in good practice. I'll concede that minor verbal tics are fine (several novels do the same, e.g. Gatsby's use of 'old sport'), but something as obtrusive as "death" has no place in writing.
>>
>>2710138
>lmao
Kek
>prove your opinion to me!
No.
>>
>>2710146
literally admitting you have no basis for your retarded opinion
>>
Finally wrote a Yuzumori-san fanfic but it's a bit short and not quite complete yet. It's called Inu and the Angel Devil. It's on AoE.
>>
>>2710138
I don’t think it has been done well yet, but there’s only about 4 Dekomori fics that aren’t unbearably awful as it is. Just because it hasn’t been done doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Also, the tic is supposed to be obtrusive, it’s fucking weird. Read some Pratchett and get back to me.
>>
>>2710226
>it's been shit every time it's done
>bad writers notorious for it
>good writers avoid it
I'm seeing a pattern here

>implying I'm going to take book recommendations from a mongolian basket-weaving lesbian fish market
humour's not my genre
>>
>>2710290
Suit yourself.
>>
>>2706251
Well, I shared my story about re-reading a fic that's literally THE Cardcaptor Sakura fanfic in the spic fandom.
>>2705329
I drove me very jelly, speaking sincerely.
>>
>>2710211
>literally
Kek
>explain your opinions to me!
No.

>>2710290
>I'm not here to talk about the things you like, I'm here to talk about things *I* like!
What ARE you doing here besides being a cunt?
>>
>>2710290
>humour's not my genre
Gee, might this explain why you've never encountered good uses of verbal ticks, which tends to be a humorous device?

Just fuck off to /lit/ already. You'll find plenty of company for masturbating about your own brilliance.
>>
>>2710774
Don’t be too mean to /lit/, I think they at least appreciate humour.
>>
>>2710835
Is that meant to be some kind of incredibly drawn-out jest?
>>
>>2710774
>Gee, might this explain why you've never encountered good uses of verbal ticks, which tends to be a humorous device?

Would you mind giving an example? Can't think of any at all, good or bad, I've come across in books, now that this "argument" is going on.
>>
>>2710752
opinions are only as valid as the evidence you give to support it. Just because it's an opinion doesn't give you a blanket device to say whatever the fuck you want and expect people to take you seriously. This is literally 40-year old high school dropout mentality

>>2710774
I can eat a newspaper and not have this many word put into my mouth. I don't seek out humor because I find writing to be a poor vehicle for it. I can appreciate it for what it is, but I'm not going go off reading an entire novel on humor because someone on fucking 4chan told me to
>>
>>2710889
gatsy from The Great Gatsby says "old sport" a lot
Gollum from LotR says "my precious" a lot
Dr. Fell from his mystery series frequently good mhmm to indicate he's clearing his throat
these are fairly innocuous, more like dialogue quirks than verbal tics, and there's probably a bunch more. Minor tics are fine and will glow unnoticed through dialogue. None of them are as intrusive as jamming in DEATH

Plus there's an enormous difference between the context surrounding novels vs fanfiction
>>
>>2711048
>literally
Kek
>opinions require evidence
No.
>>
>>2710889
Pratchett has already been mentioned. Death speaks with all-caps, brother Nhumrod repeats the last few words of everyone he's speaking to, and there's lots more. There's a character in Salman Rushdie's (who should be good enough for our resident pain in the ass) Midnight's Children who constantly calls things "whatsitsname".
>>
>>2711087
whatsitsname is fairly unobtrusive. People IRL do it often. all-caps isn't even a verbal tick. Dunno how obtrusive Nhumrod's tick is but it's still not as obtrusive as DEATH

These are all in the context of novels, mind you, not fanfiction.
>>
>>2711083
please use a tripcode from now on so I can filter you

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.