[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/u/ - Yuri

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 69 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 1560334372636.jpg (188 KB, 530x289)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
English chapters: http://www.slide.world-three.org/series/its_not_my_fault_that_im_not_popular/
JP site: http://www.ganganonline.com/contents/watashiga/index.html

New Watamote chapter comes out on June 20, new Tomomote chapter comes out June 22.
>>
>>2904645
I assume Ucchi is hiding in the fish school to keep an eye on Tomoko.
>>
File: D4Ee32sUUAAvL5l.jpg (125 KB, 700x993)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/Ruo30579925/status/1117208392915755008
>>
>>2904654
Lewd pink knows what she's doing
>>
>>2904645
What is it with Japanese artist’s drawing dykes in aquariu—
>moist dark environment
>smells like fish
O-oh.
>>
Previous thread:
>>2897475
>>
Damn we go through these threads fast.

I'm not sure if these were posted fully in the previous thread. Here they are, anyway:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/confession_under_the_legendary_tree#1
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yoshimoko_yoshimako
>>
I love that even the one girl with an actual boyfriend is there to confess, i guess one can gather it's a good idea to not piss off Yuri!
>>
>>2904645
>new Tomomote chapter comes out June 22.
what is this?
>>
>>2904738
The spinoff about Tomoko, Yuu and Komi in middle school. You can read all the earlier chapters on W3.
>>
I am just waiting for June 20 to have Tomoko and Yoshida scenes, or for them to get out of detention and talk to everyone else.

I am just wondering what kind of fan art that will spawn, hopefully we get more Katou moments because i like fan art where she is crazy and obsessed, something about her design and the way people tend to draw her eyes when jealous is funny to me.
>>
Just wondering something, the characters are in their 3rd year and talking about college...has the author said anything about the series ending with high school or will we have the good fortune of the series keeping on with Tomoko's and other's life in college, because i would really love that.
>>
>>2904800
I read that he was thinking the series would probably end at graduation. I can't say if that's true. The interview is out but not actually translated.
>>
File: D3uOv8TUYAA04L8[1].jpg (250 KB, 841x1115)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
Anyone got this image without the calendar stuff?
>>
File: D8836FnUcAMvAGO.jpg (340 KB, 1075x1518)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
>>
File: D8836peUYAAU3ij.png (411 KB, 1075x1518)
411 KB
411 KB PNG
>>2904883
https://twitter.com/MrFrankSeven/status/1139194810089127936
>>
Wow, Kuroki should probably avoid school from now on.
>>
>>2904875
I see Ucchi being jealous there and love it, suprised that Shizuku is thinking that though, guess her boyfriend will experience more bad things in the future.
>>
File: watamote_c132_014.png (202 KB, 870x1236)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>2904900
her shoujo vision is nothing new thou
>>
Nemo doesn’t realize how gay she is. She watches those SOL shows, thinking that girls touching each other and feeding each other food is just “friends being friends”. The subtext eludes her, and Nemo starts thinking that blushing around Tomoko and wanting to hold her while in bed is totally heterosexual. My theory holds water, that’s science.
>>
Yeah, i guess that because of the image and this board, my mind went into her wanting herself some Tomoko.
>>
>>2904902
Can't argue with science.
>>
>>2904902
I wonder if Tomoko has ever pointed out the yuri subtext of some shows?
>>
File: watamote_c149_004.png (190 KB, 869x1236)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>2904903
well I mean you're not wrong
>>
>>2904905
Tomoko is pretty knowledgeable about gay stuff, as long as it's not actually putting 2 and 2 together and noticing how gay she is
>>
File: D87ZxhQUIAE-9W8.jpg (563 KB, 1450x2048)
563 KB
563 KB JPG
>Kuroki-san, smile
>>
>>2904740
thought that one ended long time ago
>>
>>2904645

is that seriously what japanese school suspension is? literally what is the point?
>>
>>2904943
Better than "punishing" them with a couple days off
>>
>>2904883
As usual, Tomoko sneaking a feel there I see
>>
>>2904948
Yeah, I actually really liked out of school suspension when I was a kid, since it meant I could lounge around at home and read all day. Also hot lunches that didn’t taste like ass.
>>
>>2904917
There has to be some fan art of Tomoko pointing this out to Nemo and her getting shocked about it.

Either that, or Nemo saying that she likes yuri subtext and suprising Tomoko out, i mean, it's blatant in a lot of shows where the cast is basically all girls, sure, there are slice-of-life series with little to no yuri subtext, Cromartie High School comes to mind, but those are the ones with no middle/high school girls in them.
>>
>>2904906
You forgot the time Tomoko hugged her and was saying some sexual harassment stuff, even Tomoko was creeped out by what she said and how it looked, Shizuku on the other hand, only blushed and went back to hanging with her cool Senpai, even waiting at their usual lunch spot even though she knows Tomoko is suspended.
>>
>>2904875
Yuri doing some literally Superman shit there.
>>
You know, part of me is still waiting for the day that there is a chapter where Hina or Tomoko force the other to watch and read the anime and mangas they like and sharing their impressions about them or laughing about them.

I don't know, just seems like it could be good for a comedy or friendshipping story, to a point where i just think i haven't found the fan art that has done this yet rather than no one making it.
>>
>>2904971
I want to see Nemo get mad at Tomoko for sexualizing the beautiful friendships in Saki.
>>
Been a yuri fan since 2003, yet YuriMoko is my OTP of all time. I root for Yuri, and feel her anguish. So I wrote this future YuriMoko thing 'cause the idea of Yuri getting her girl brings warmth to my jaded heart. It's nothing on the likes of Kokonoe Kazura - just about my favourite thing ever - but it's the best I could do. Not trying to attention whore or anything, just some fellow YuriMoko shippers might like it. https://archiveofourown.org/works/19202485
>>
>>2904995
I can see that, however, i am pretty sure she knows about that kind of stuff, her reaction towards Akane getting shocked at some eroge footage was to think about what would have happened if she was shown hentai.

I think she is quite aware of doujinshis, hentai and shipping, but she doesn't care about any of that...oh God, please please tell me there is some fan art of Tomoko being forced to go to Comiket for real this time and finding Nemo holding a lot of yuri doujinshis, probably all chaste but who cares, i just want to see Tomoko comment on that.
>>
File: 1542229104675.png (328 KB, 780x1183)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>>2905008
Very nice.
>>
>>2905008
Good stuff. Would you like some constructive criticism?
>>
I hope the speculation about Tomomote expanding its focus to the other side characters ends up being correct. It'd feel incredibly weird to be back to just Tomoko/Komi/Yuu after the series itself has massively expanded its cast. Especially since Komi and Yuu themselves are pretty much irrelevant nowadays.
>>
>>2905025
Thanks! Cute picture btw, warm feels.
>>2905027
Yeah, go for it.
>>
File: DzndJKyU0AEt8sw.jpg (345 KB, 886x1200)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
>>2905033
You've got Yuri's character down. This is exactly how I'd imagine her acting in a relationship with Tomoko; deeply in love and happy, but also her melancholy self, suspicious of her good fortune and guilty about any perceived shortcomings in herself. The long sentences paced by commas and use of present tense give it a stream-of-consciousness feel, which further makes us identify with her.

That's why I think it's a mistake to occasionally shift the perspective to Tomoko. We've already spent a third of the story inside Yuri's head before the first Tomoko section, so it feels jarring. Her sections are pretty short and mostly dialogue anyway, so it ends up feeling unbalanced. I'd imagine you did it to show Tomoko's thoughts, but I don't think you'd lose anything major if the whole thing was from Yuri's POV.

I also disagree somewhat on Tomoko's characterization. Obviously this comes down to personal interpretation and there's good stuff there, like the kinkiness, the detail about her stuttering and her looking after Yuri, but I think there's a little too much sweet femininity and not enough mean scumbag here. For one, Tomoko isn't afraid of bugs while Yuri is (see ch. 34 and 150). When thinking about Yuri in canon, Tomoko clearly likes and appreciates her, but she also tends to be very critical of her. This is of course a happy occasion so there's less reason for that, but I could see her turning down any idea of all-night sex on a weekday or at least calling Yuri an irresponsible pervert in colorful terms for it. You could also probably get rid of many of the ellipses in the dialogue, since they're a little annoying to read.

Overall, it's a good story and a great character study of Yuri, and I look forward to you writing more.
>>
>>2905030
We've already seen JC Asuka so I kind of think it's going to be that, especially with how much focus she's gotten lately. I would prefer seeing Fang/Mako/Yuri in middle school as a bizarro world Tomoko/Yuu/Komi though, that makes too much sense
>>
>>2905057
Cont:
Also, I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh. The reason I bothered to write all that is because I like your writing and think your story is worth thinking about and criticizing.
>>
>>2904875
I really, really like Shizuku, and how she's being used in the series.
>>
>>2905062
And of course I used the wrong word when trying to look smart. Your story is worth critiquing.
>>
>>2904922
From twitter?
>>
>>2905077
https://twitter.com/_14yaki/status/1139087205501005824
>>
>>2905081
thanks
>>
First part of the radio interview translated:
http://watamote.com/internet-radio-show-tanigawa-ikko-appeared-part-1/
>>
>>2905057
>>2905062

Yeah, Tomoko. My intention with her PoV was to show that although she had sort of grown up and outwardly mellowed (setting is a decade after HS), that her internal monologue is still crude, and with the toy thing, that she hasn't lost her perverted side. I thought if I didn't show it, she'd come over, as you put it well, all sweet femininity, so I still missed the mark. I'm intending to do other vignettes, like going to Ginza, and I'll have her being really rude with the shop clerks, very reluctantly giving up a train seat for an elderly person, etc. A narrow FoV on her empathy; it works with Yuri, less well but decently with friends, and barely if at all with anyone else. It's just my interpretation, because we haven't seen Tomoko in love, but I do think she'd behave in an as yet uncharacteristically caring way toward her partner. Which is based on my interpretation that Tomoko's scumbag side is a defence mechanism based on insecurity and self loathing, rather than sociopathy. For instance, we know she used to care for her brother as a sweet older sister.

The bugs, oops, I forgot she crushed that cockroach. I was thinking of the nightmare she had when trying to have an erotic dream. I'll cut that bit. And I'll cull the ellipses, fair point!
Tomoko, turning down sex though? I can't help but picture that a Tomoko with the relationship insecurities taken away, that her drive for it would be well above average.

>Also, I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh.
Oh, not at all! I really appreciate the critique, it's been helpful.
>>
>>2905030
They can't even include Komi because Watamote already established that she moved to a different class in the third year and Tomoko barely saw her again.
>>
>>2905125
Don't really see why that would matter, it would just continue taking place in second year. It's not like it actually showed them moving onto third year, right? It just ended on Tomoko waking up during high school far as I can remember
>>
>>2904885
>Mako was final boss all the time
>Crazy lesbo (Mako) vs Closet Lesbo (Tomoko)
It´s stupid I know but I wouldn´t mind something like this
>>
>>2905133
We saw the end of their second year, the third years graduated in chapter 24.
>>
>>2904972
If her boyfriend wasn't such a pitiful loser she would've broken up with him by now.
>>
>>2905060
It would be pretty interesting to actually get some time with young Asuka. Like, what's her home life like, was she always one of the cool girls, what's her motivations.

We're slowly getting more of a sense of her personality, but she's still kind of a cipher. Just seeing a young Asuka would be great for answering some stuff about her, without totally spoiling the like, "Is she gay for Asuka?" questions.
>>
It would be interesting to see how Mako made herself friend with Minami and Yuri, knowing why she still stands that attitude of Kibako and how started that "cold war" between her and Yuri.
>>
File: D83Nv_LUYAEOJjv_tl.png (1.47 MB, 1450x2048)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>>
File: D83Nw31UIAAJ4HI_TL.png (1.53 MB, 1450x2048)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB PNG
>>2905281
>>
File: D83NxqMVUAABVnj_TL.png (1.72 MB, 1450x2048)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
>>2905283
>>
File: D83NymDU0AI_xdc_TL.png (1.16 MB, 1450x2048)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>2905286
;_;
>>
All of this sad Asuka content is making me sad.
>>
Damn, that was brutal enough that part of me wishes that Akane or someone else mentioned to Tomoko that Asuka was studying and thus she was trying to be considerate.

Mostly because, while she feels awkward near Asuka, she does seem to enjoy spending time with her, even treating their college visit as a date, so her just forgetting Asuka feels quite odd.
>>
>>2905286
>>2905288
My entire highschool experience
>>
>>2905116
It is pretty difficult to show how much Tomoko has changed in a story where she's overjoyed and that's primarily about Yuri and what she's thinking. It might be a good idea to write a story from her POV to show what her thought processes are like in your timeline, since we're so familiar with them in their current state. But, you should obviously write what you want.

>Tomoko, turning down sex though?
In my head, Tomoko turns into the responsible partner in her own special way because Yuri's such a weirdo. Also, her model for being the wife of a salary(wo)man is her mom, who's a massive hardass.

>>2905288
Or maybe she knows you're supposed to be at a study session, you massive drama queen.

>>2905299
Tomoko wouldn't exclude Asuka like that. Has Tomoko ever even gone to a restaurant/other venue after school in a group that didn't include Asuka? Obviously not counting the manga cafe visit with Yuri since that was just the two of them.
>>
File: D88XY-hU0AIn1pi.jpg (87 KB, 416x595)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/sanada_jp/status/1139155690109276161
132 page doujin about making a movie. Looks really cute
>>
File: 018.png (1.5 MB, 1200x1733)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>2905306
Also, from the same author of this
>>
>>2905308
Ooh, I adored that one! Asuka and Tomoko felt very in character. Looking forward to their new doujin then, though I may never be able to properly read it.
>>
>>2905306
Man that sure is a lot to translate, i hope whoever translates that gets a lot of thanks in the future.
>>2905304
Yeah, it felt like Tomoko was being extra forgetful just for sadness's sake, but Asuka is a dear friend that she likes a lot and spends a lot of time with.

Not only that, but she is with Akane, AKA, that one girl that apparently Asuka said she was going to spend the entire evening studying and that has on occasion talked with Tomoko, Akane could have just said that before.

But you know, sad fan art is sad, so let's show Tomoko being bad to Asuka by accident, i wonder what Asuka would feel if Tomoko came in tomorrow asking how the study session went , her talking about the karaoke, and all being revealed to be a misunderstanding because Tomoko and the others(Akane was even in the group) just thought she was studying because she didn't say anything.
>>
>>2905316
>Man that sure is a lot to translate, i hope whoever translates that gets a lot of thanks in the future.
Don't worry, I'm sure it won't even be scanned
>>
>>2905316
>Man that sure is a lot to translate, i hope whoever translates that gets a lot of thanks in the future
That's a peculiar thing to worry about. Are you a translator by any chance?
>>
File: DxJCIOxU0AAI2xx.jpg (173 KB, 848x1200)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>2904901
>>2904906
>>
I don't think I can approve of KatoMoko. Katou doesn't have much reason of why she likes Tomoko. All she's said to her were only stuff like "you have big eyes", "you're cute", "I want to see you in short skirt", "I've always wanted to mess around with other girls". She's like a generic lesbian to me who could have fell for any other girl but chose Tomoko simply because she think's Tomoko is a cute loli pervert who will do lewd things with her. Tomoko doesn't look very comfortable being near her either. There are girls like Kii-chan and Kouhai who have stronger and more romantic feelings for Tomoko. Katou can just find literally any lesbian chick with high sex drive and it'll be right for her.
>>
>>2905288
I wish I didn't know this feel.
>>
>>2905306
I recognize that artist. Asuka dream sex doujin, I believe
>>
>>2905361
I don't think you need a reason to fall in love.
>>
>>2905306
132 pages?!
think GoogledAnon will take this one when the raws come out?
>>
>>2905349
So, all out of nowhere, Shizuku is becoming another girl in a ship with Tomoko?

Well, i do have to admit, Tomoko is pratically the only girl talking to her and helping her, she respects Tomoko, she values her help more than the ones of her male friends apparently, and she looks at Tomoko in a shoujo way a few times.

Plus, there is that one moment in chapter 149 where Tomoko hugs her and says some perverted things and Shizuku only blushes and becomes almost speechless before keeping on hanging with her dear senpai like nothing happened.

You know what, this is still not my favorite ship, but i can kinda see why people would like it, though a big part of what stops me from really liking this ship as opposed to YuriXTomoko is the fact that this is basically NTR unless she breaks up with her boyfriend.
>>
>>2905367
I hope so, i don't even read japanese but sometimes i just like to look at some raws and this seems fun.

And this is from the guy that made the love hotel doujin with Asuka, right?

I actually liked that one, though this makes me wonder if this will be another doujin with KatoMoko as the main ship.
>>
>>2905361
>she think's Tomoko is a cute loli pervert who will do lewd things with her
Are you implying there are better reasons to fall in love? Besides, Asuka starts to become really interested in Tomoko only after she got Akane and Nemo to make up, meaning she is attracted to Tomoko's inner qualities.
>>
>>2905361
I agree, she strikes me as just messing around for kicks. If Tomoko actually fell for her, I think she'd end up getting hurt. Tomoko strikes me as the type to fall hard, while Katou seems the type to want something that wasn't too serious. But I don't think the manga will trend back toward more torment, and I don't think Katou will end up with Tomoko either; I think Sasaki is gonna get paired off with Katou. Maybe that happening, and Tomoko seeing it, makes her actually introspect about her own feelings toward girls.

If Tomoko ends up in a relationship with a girl (which obviously, I really hope she does), I think it's gonna be Yuri. I think they'll dial up the competition between Yuri and Nemo, for the drama, and then that process catalyses the character development Yuri would need to make a move (risk a confession, or lose her to someone else). And I think she "wins", they have more similar personalities for one. Again this trends toward less torment, as Nemo strikes me as the type to congenially concede defeat, be happy for them, while Yuri strikes me as the type to go slit her wrists in a bathtub.
>>
File: 05.jpg (668 KB, 1056x1500)
668 KB
668 KB JPG
>>2905363
Also did the roomshare/part time series
https://dynasty-scans.com/authors/sanada_jp
>>
>>2905378
>Katou seems the type to want something that wasn't too serious
Asuka's first date with Tomoko was to the university she wants to attend together with her. She's in full /u/-Haul love.
>>
>>2905383
She wants to go to the same university, so she's head over heels, let's live together in love? I think she wants to go to the same university, so she can carry on messing around with the easy target. Here, grope my boobs, here, lie on my lap. The university thing only just occurred to her, it's Yuri who was all committed to going to the same one for ages now, convinced herself it was a sure thing based on some vague passing comment Tomoko made. Katou's some relatively light relief, a flashy extrovert, everything goes her way; Yuri's the slow burn option, a complex and conflicted character. If you were the author, personal bias aside, which do you think would be the more impactful option?
>>
>>2905384
When Asuka starts talking about going to Aoyama with Tomoko, she doesn't know about Tomoko's pervy tendencies and hasn't flirted with her beyond letting her sleep on her thighs and feeding her a churro. She hadn't even known her for more than a few months.

Asuka's a much more interesting character than you give her credit for. It's been talked about in great detail before, but there's a discrepancy between who everyone thinks she is and who she actually is. Once we'll get to see her thoughts, things should become even more interesting.
>>
>>2905404
>she doesn't know about Tomoko's pervy tendencies
Doubtful. She already knew about the penis incident and I'm convinced Tomoko is already famous in the class for molesting Yoshida.
>>
File: 75221378_p0.jpg (461 KB, 689x960)
461 KB
461 KB JPG
>>
>>2905418
Why is Akane of all people there?
>>
File: 74375512_p0.jpg (604 KB, 705x960)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>2905404
>she doesn't know about Tomoko's pervy tendencies
Really? Extroverts tend to be more in-tune socially. And it's not like Tomoko is at all good at hiding them, she loses all self control if her mind can turn a situation involving girls even slightly lewd.

>there's a discrepancy between who everyone thinks she is and who she actually is
But isn't that the same for everyone? No-one presents a perfect image of their flawed inner self. She doesn't exactly seem riven with inner turmoil, though.

>>2905415
I think so too.
>>
>>2905422
Tomoko <-- Nemo <-- Akane
one follows the other
>>
>>2905415
Though, honestly, her being interested in Tomoko partly for her perverted tendencies actually makes me like the ship more, Tomoko is a pervert after all, her thoughts and actions show that, and the other girls either hate or are mildly annoyed by that...except for Asuka, Asuka not only accepts it, but she seems to like it and is almost as perverted if not the same as Tomoko which gives them something to share.

I mean, Asuka is the only girl that has been so innocently perverted that even Tomoko became speechless, just look at Tomoko asking her to touch the hair on her head and Asuka immediately thinking of another kind of hair and not minding it that much.

She is quite open minded and generally seems to genuinely like hanging out with Tomoko, granted, we haven't seen her thoughts, but she doesn't come off to me as stringing anyone along, she is just a kind girl...who has no problem with talking about someone groping her in front of her friends and almost seeming confused when they are suprised by it, something that just screams "Yeah, i can see her liking Tomoko" right there.

Don't mind, i still like Yuri more, but i don't dislike Asuka at all.
>>
>>2905288
This is the angsty content I truly crave for!!

TBF, there’s always a rift between Asuka and Tomoko, although I’m not sure this would happen to them currently, but their relationship is always based in admiration — “she’s too good for me”
>>
>>2905436
I think Tomoko is a pervert who loves fantasizing about sexual things, but Asuka is a nymphomaniac who's just begging to sleep with other girls. These two are different, because Tomoko doesn't really like acting on all of her fantasies. Tomoko is just hyperactive.
>>
File: 1560516468858.jpg (514 KB, 1200x860)
514 KB
514 KB JPG
>>
>>2905451
I think you've got Asuka figured out, but:
>Tomoko doesn't really like acting on all of her fantasies
She's super in denial about the nature of her fantasies. If she was at the stage of wanting to act them out, she would have had to already face up to the fact she actually wanted to do lewd things to girls. Which she has as yet persistently avoided.
>>
Heck, Tomoko has very heavy bi tendencies since the start, but more and more she has shown her attraction to women, her thoughts and desires show that, and she wants to grope women and enjoys it, she just doesn't want to admit she can be attracted to women.

She may be well aware of LGBT people, but that doesn't mean she is that willing to accept that part of herself yet, i think she just convinces herself that her desires regarding women are just a quirk of hers.

As for Asuka, so far i am not going to judge her as a nymphomaniac who is sleeping with women left and right, so far she has only shown that perverted side of herself to Tomoko and her own friends who were quite clearly shocked indicating this was extremely bizarre behavior for her.

I don't think there is any actual indication of her going after girls so far, that may come as a reveal later on, but so far, the reactions of Tomoko and others like Fuuka imply that her behavior is pretty bizarre from how she usually is.

Honestly, i kinda hope that Asuka actually does like Tomoko and finds her cute...because she has a fetish for weird creepy girls, unlike Ucchi who uses that as a justification for why she can't possibly like Tomoko, i hope that Asuka assumes that of Tomoko and that is 100% the reason why she likes her, that she is more perverted and a bit weirder than everyone else.
>>
>>2905430
That's Asuka who's Tomoko hugging tho
>>
>>2905478
That anon was mistaken, but Akane and Asuka are close enough to be on a first-name basis. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Akane stayed with Asuka and Tomoko while visiting them.
>>
File: 73273810_p0.jpg (3.26 MB, 2360x3240)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
>>2905490
Weren't Tomoko and Yuri an Item on that AU? Who's Tomoko fucking anyways?
>>
Is Tomomote and watamote two different things? I desperately wanna get back in the series. Is it a sub series?.. Im confuse
>>
>>2905494
Tomomote is a spinoff that allegedly, was focused on Yuu's time on middle school but quickly became about Komisomething and Tomoko's shenanigans in middle school. It was finished a efew years back but last Watamote chapter announced it was coming back. Whether this means new chapters or just a re run isn't clear yet.
>>
>>2905496
Ah i see.. Should i start with tomo than?
Also thank you for the help!
>>
File: 73246683_resize.jpg (3.34 MB, 2344x3174)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB JPG
>>2905492
They draw both YuriMoko and KatoMoko. Their pixiv: https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=9364169
This one is my favourite, it warms my heart. Google translate: "Drunk talk: I will confess that I have loved you from the beginning"
Of course Tomoko and Yuri's apartment would be a total mess. I love the little details.
I had to resize to meet upload restrictions, original here: https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=73246683
>>
File: D89OaGLU4AEA8MF.jpg (156 KB, 1000x1185)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/Sophie_Albatou/status/1139215447868317697
>>
>>2905418
I just noticed that the title of that artwork is the kanji for mother and the kanji for daughter.
>>2905492
So maybe that answers your question.
>>
File: 73953806_p0.jpg (317 KB, 960x698)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
>>
File: 73953806_p1.jpg (213 KB, 720x960)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>2905512
>>
>>2905504
Did the official artist draw that?
>>
>>2905514
They're all from a fan's pixiv account. I linked it.
>>2905430
That's Asuka (tagged by the artist), not Nemo. Hence the Mother+Daughter title makes sense.
>>
>>2905502
Start reading Tomomote after Komiyama is properly introduced but before the Kyoto trip.
>>
>>2905527
I should clarify: between those times in Watamote, start Tomomote to get where the animosity between Tomoko and Komi started.
>>
Hopefully, it will be about other characters in middle school, Yuri and Mako could be fun, Nemo we already got a feel of how it was like, Yoshida could also be fun for cute delinquent stuff, Asuka would just...give us more about her personality i guess, Ucchi sadly seems to have just been normal before the field trip so her time likely wasn't that interesting.
>>
>>2905452
Now this needs a translation
>>
On a random note, does anyone think that the author will ever do anything with Minami other than having her be a jerk?

I was hoping that, with the fact her social circle has significantly been reduced, that she would have some character development or talk to anyone other than Mako in the list of important characters, even if it's just a really awkward conversation with Yuri.

I don't know, the idea that she may be losing friends and having no one until she only has Mako could be a parallel to Tomoko, who went from only having Yuu to having several friends.

I mean, someone made a fan art of her being ignored by her friends and eating in the bathroom, but that was fan art and kinda a bit too far, honestly, part of me kinda wants to see Minami either being part of the circle or wanting to join in, maybe even being helped in a situation by Yuri and ending up feeling bad.

Or hell, being helped by either Yuri, the girl she annoys the most, or Tomoko, the loser that has been acting high and mighty that she constantly mocks and laughs at, that could make for an interesting scene.

I don't know, i guess i just find it weird that Minami keeps appearing and has a sub-plot with her decreased social circle yet nothing has really happened and i just want to see something changing.

Oh right, yuri board...i seriously doubt Minami is a lesbian or bi, but if she was, it kinda feels like she would be more into Mako than anyone else, the other more interesting relationships would be her falling for an uncaring Yuri or really understanding Tomoko once she really starts to experience a lonely life and them having something to share.
>>
>>2905555
Just like with Ucchi, the author doesn't give the characters and plot too much development because they still need storylines until the characters graduate. Thus they only advance them bit by bit until the last month of the third year of highschool, where each character arc gets its conclusion one by one.
>>
>>2905561
That doesn't follow, as the manga has not progressed at a fixed pace in terms of amount of time passing per chapter; as the manga has gone on, time has passed more slowly. It also assumes Ikko and Nico intend to finish it at the end of HS, despite it being their only success.
>>
>>2905567
Hopefully, it continues into college, hell, someone even did a fan art of Tomoko going to college and even getting a part-time job and it made me want to see that happen.
>>
>>2905555
I do agree that it's a slow pace, but I also do feel like Minami part in the story is going somewhere.
My guess is she's gonna either piss Mako off or get desperate enough to try and fit in with Tomoko's group
>>
>>2905378
>If Tomoko ends up in a relationship with a girl (which obviously, I really hope she does), I think it's gonna be Yuri. I
I thought Yuri shippers would've given up by now.

She's her friend, nothing more.
>>
>>2905415
>>2905427
There's nothing to doubt. If there's nothing saying that's the case, it's not the case. In fact, Katou straight up said her impression of Tomoko was that she was serious and diligent.
>>
>>2905451
>>2905456
Having Asuka figured out means being convinced she's obsessed with sleeping with anyone rather than the literal one and only girl, huh
>>
File: watamote_c157_012.png (179 KB, 868x1236)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>2905586
Mm, given up, 'cause in Japan, Yuri's the most popular character after Tomoko (other mangaka twitter vote padding notwithstanding), YuriMoko's the most popular pairing, and their personalities are the most similar...

Like, how would you think any other character is more likely to get paired off with Tomoko?

>>2905590
Nico complains about having to draw too many characters, so why does Sasaki show up now all interested in Asuka, other than to get paired off with her? Yoshida has only been friendly, Emoji is comic relief, Shizuku surrounds herself with boys... and they have the love triangle they need for plot with Yuri and Nemo.
>>
>>2905590
Yeah, Tomoko's the one who started talking about wanting to grope tits and Asuka just offered hers. It's a way to get closer to Tomoko and further test the waters without outright confessing. It doesn't mean she's a nymphomaniac toying with Tomoko's feelings.
>>
>>2905599
>YuriMoko's the most popular pairing, and their personalities are the most similar...
I don't believe this is true anymore. At least, I definitely haven't seen it much for quite a while
>>
>>2905599
The poll was before the onslaught of Asuka chapters, I'm sure things have quickly changed. Plus, didn't Nemo win the popularity contest leading to her back story chapter?
>>
>>2905599
Fuuka's there to emphasize how legit homo everyone is being and probably to offer insight into Asuka's past. So far it looks like Asuka doesn't much care for Fuuka, who isn't smart enough to notice. Nemo's there to pick up the pieces when Tomoko and Asuka ride off to sunset together.

Seriously though, I'd be fine with either Yuri or Asuka winning.
>>
>>2905607
My b didn't see the padding comment, that said we don't necessarily know how much it affected the results. Stock in Yuri is rapidly declining anyhow
>>
File: watamote.jpg (316 KB, 1175x1200)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>2905603
On pixiv for instance, YuriMoko is well ahead in numbers, and is added to frequently. The pairing is less popular in the West, so isn't re-posted as frequently. And obviously, any time a character is featured prominently with Tomoko, their pairing gets a boost; Yuri and Tomoko haven't featured prominently together since ch 151.

The ending of ch 157 suggests some coming development, though.

Also overall fan works have declined with audience interest. See image. (Was trying to gauge likelihood of season 2, maybe the stats aren't so bad, as anime is used to sell manga, and Watamote isn't tanking like it was, but Tomoko's VA is out of Japan for a year as of now...)
>>
>>2905610
Yes, we do know; Yuri was well ahead on the day before that (much more popular) mangaka told all his twitter followers to vote Nemo close to the end of polling. Nico+Ikko's twitter apologised for the incident, and Yuri coincidentally got her (longer) chapter soon after, without any padded poll. Yuri's stock is plenty healthy, not at her peak, but she hasn't had focus since 151.
>>
>>2905612
>YuriMoko is well ahead in numbers
Of course it is, it's been a pairing for years, but what you should be looking at is overall numbers since Asuka's rise to prominence.

And as per your image, it doesn't really mean anything. AFAIK it's still selling very well if not better than ever, but naturally older volumes will have more ratings. And the graduation volume, naturally, would have the highest ratings. It's still the high point of the series.
>>
>>2905618
Looking myself Yuri's pairing is higher but Asuka is very close. As in, since the pairing really started Yuri only has about a page over her in pixiv results (which is, of course, JUST pixiv results). Given Asuka has been around a lot less and Yuri's been around a lot longer, I'd say that speaks to something significant.

Unfortunately, while it's not impossible to find things on twitter it's too difficult to get solid numbers. That said I definitely mostly see KatoMoko and NemoKuro on twitter rather than YuriMoko, That could mean anything, but I enjoy all the pairings so /shrug

Anyway I wasn't even talking about fanworks in the first place. Fanworks can do whatever they like. My sticking point was thinking Yuri's interest in Tomoko is more than platonic, or that she's in "anguish" over not having her "love" recognized. I mean hell, her biggest issue (the name issue) was already resolved. That was her greatest concern, not "can I confess to her" or something. Even the cover page people point to where she's wondering what she thinks of Tomoko doesn't indicate romantic interest. Their relationship has been a strange, but close one, and it's only natural to not be sure about whether they're particularly close or not. She never actually indicated that she wanted Tomoko "like that" anyway, it's mainly just people reading "strong feelings" as "romantic feelings". They aren't always the same, and that's fine.
>>
>>2905618
>numbers since Asuka's rise to prominence
Well, if you really want to get into it, you'd have to control for frequency of appearance over time in the manga, too. For instance, if over a given period, Asuka gets 50% more fanart, but appears 300% more often, the first number is a little less impressive, no?
>it doesn't really mean anything
It sort of does though, these are both decent metrics for gauging popularity. Another would be post frequency on 2Ch but I don't know about that. I know they were very healthy around vol 12 though, that's all.
>AFAIK it's still selling very well if not better than ever
Afa(y)k? 15 didn't chart in its second week, while 14 did, 15 probably sold ~40k while the very first volumes charted for several weeks and sold ~100k+. These are good numbers compared to when sales really tanked around 8-9, but they aren't ATHs.
>>
>>2905623
>it's mainly just people reading "strong feelings" as "romantic feelings"
So, 'cause Yuri, famously introverted, shy gloomy girl, hasn't gone out of character and asked Tomoko to grope her a la Asuka, an extrovert, it's just "strong feelings"?

I think it's pretty hard to miss what Yuri is feeling, it's been very heavily hinted at by Ikko+Nico with consistent regularity, ever since Tomoko took a nosedive and yelled at Fangs, and Yuri had a laughing fit (that her best friend, Mako, noted was unprecedented). Speaking of her best friend, Mako has noted (to Yuri) she behaves weirdly around Tomoko. Since then, if Yuri's in a panel with Tomoko, you can bet she's fixated on her. Also, the "name issue" was sorted *before* Yuri is sitting there introspecting what Tomoko means to her. So it's obviously not the biggest issue.

One of the biggest hints by the authors was when Shizuku wonders to herself why Yuri is behaving like her friends did when she started getting on with boys, yet there are no boys around, just Tomoko (who Yuri turns to immediately, totally blanking Shizuku's self introduction) and Yoshida.
>>
>>2905628
>So, 'cause Yuri, famously introverted, shy gloomy girl, hasn't gone out of character and asked Tomoko to grope her a la Asuka, an extrovert, it's just "strong feelings"?
That's not my argument, don't paint that as my argument. Ucchi hasn't done anything like that, and who would argue she's not interested?

Because Yuri has a possessive tendency with friends, because Yuri never blushes around Tomoko unless explicitly embarrassed, because Yuri expresses no interest in "more" of a relationship, because the worst moment of Yuri's jealousy was jealousy over Tomoko's friend but NOT over her crush, because Yuri overall values friendship--not only Tomoko's, but her friendship with Mako and Yoshida as well, and because Yuri is a status quo keeper. She doesn't like changing "the way things are" and is consistently extremely bothered by any changes.

>it's been very heavily hinted at by Ikko+Nico with consistent regularity
I don't see that, you do, that doesn't mean they're hinting anything.
>One of the biggest hints by the authors was when Shizuku wonders to herself why Yuri is behaving like her friends did when she started getting on with boys, yet there are no boys around, just Tomoko (who Yuri turns to immediately, totally blanking Shizuku's self introduction) and Yoshida.
I think I'd literally only give you this, and even then it's a joke.
>>
>>2905624
I just don't get why Yuri's feelings would be that strong if it was just friendship. They've known each other for a relatively short while and it's not like they have some earthshakingly awesome friendship. She's also clearly jealous of Tomoko specifically, rather than just worried of losing her group, since she doesn't care who Yoshida and Mako hang out with.

>>2905628
The point of that whole chapter is that Tomoko now has a harem of girls. It makes no sense otherwise.
>>
File: no 1 girl translated_a.jpg (2.53 MB, 2589x1536)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
I wonder if other characters have get similar exhibits
>>
>>2905631
>That's not my argument, don't paint that as my argument.
I'm not painting that as your argument, but I think you're deliberately missing the point. I'm pointing out you don't allow for characterisation and presentation at all. Take your Ucchi example. You might have noticed, that we frequently see inside her head, with thought bubbles, so don't have to rely solely on her behaviour (which alone would make a much less convincing case for a crush). While the *only* thing we've ever "heard" Yuri think is: "I wonder what I really think of her."

You seem really convinced in yourself and passive-aggressive, so I'm not sure there's much point continuing this though. I'd rather just wait and see what happens in the manga, because I'm much more certain of a YuriMoko ending than I am of ever convincing you it might ever be a thing.

>>2905634
>I just don't get why Yuri's feelings would be that strong if it was just friendship.
So, you're agreeing that Yuri wants more than friendship?
>>
>>2905634
>She's also clearly jealous of Tomoko specifically, rather than just worried of losing her group, since she doesn't care who Yoshida and Mako hang out with.
Obviously because Tomoko resonates with her best. That's not even speculation, she confirms that herself in chapters like the one where Tomoko is recommending manga. That actually isn't weird when you consider
1) Mako really isn't similar to Yuri at all.
and of course 2) Yoshida is even LESS similar, though you could argue they get along as misfits at least.
Even then she's always at her happiness in a Mako, Yoshida, Tomoko + her group.

>>2905634
>The point of that whole chapter is that Tomoko now has a harem of girls. It makes no sense otherwise.
The point was messing with expectations, as Tomoko herself points out. There was a bit of a joke in that, maybe, Shizuku was looking down on her and assuming she didn't have many friends either (Tomoko's interpretation). Surprise surprise, she has a good number.
>>
File: N5.png (270 KB, 870x1236)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
>>2905640
>You might have noticed, that we frequently see inside her head, with thought bubbles, so don't have to rely solely on her behaviour (which alone would make a much less convincing case for a crush). While the *only* thing we've ever "heard" Yuri think is: "I wonder what I really think of her."
Nee-san, for someone so into Yuri, I would've thought you'd have noticed that we see her thoughts PLENTY of times. The only character we don't know at all via thoughts is Katou. Even one off characters have visible thoughts.

>You seem really convinced in yourself and passive-aggressive
Not really, I'm more blatantly aggressive. I just have never been into shipping for shipping's sake or reading into text things that I want to be there but aren't. I especially don't want to add romance to friendship, as I think friendship alone is honestly quite valuable, and in this manga in particular it makes Tomoko and Yuri's relationship much more interesting.
>>
File: N6.png (205 KB, 870x1236)
205 KB
205 KB PNG
>>2905643
>>
File: F2.png (209 KB, 869x1236)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>2905645
>>
File: T5.png (221 KB, 870x1236)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>2905646
>>
File: T9.png (231 KB, 870x1236)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
>>2905647
there's more but there isn't really a point to pointing all of it out
>>
>>2905637
Why don't you ask wherever you found the image? But it would depend on whether there was another staff member there who was a fan, but perhaps the chance of two big Watamote fans working in the same bookstore is a little slim

>>2905641
>Obviously because Tomoko resonates with her best.
She really really likes her, but it's entirely platonic, 'cause it would harm my ships chances if it wasn't, so I've cognitive dissonanced out everything I don't like.
>>
>>2905649
>>>Obviously because Tomoko resonates with her best.
>She really really likes her, but it's entirely platonic, 'cause it would harm my ships chances if it wasn't, so I've cognitive dissonanced out everything I don't like.
Don't be stupid. I don't care about ship chances. If you're projecting, quit it. I backed Ucchi, now I back Asuka, and I'm still slightly rooting for Ucchi but she fucked up. Know what I like? The manga. Like, the manga itself, not what I want the manga to be. It's why I read romances, but hate harems. Harems want you to favor a particular girl or boy. Triangles do, too, but they're at least typically less shitty about it.
>>
>>2905643
>I would've thought you'd have noticed that we see her thoughts PLENTY of times.
Hah, oh shit, okay I went full retard there, I'm pretty tired. I guess 'cause Emoji's end up in thought bubbles, rather than floating text, I didn't parse them as equivalent when I was thinking that through. My bad.

But eh, yeah, you seem quite mad. I stand by: I'd rather just wait and see what happens in the manga, because I'm much more certain of a YuriMoko ending than I am of ever convincing you it might ever be a thing.
>>
>>2905645
#rare footage of Mako actually annoyed. She seems to legitimately want to include Minami in her circles but Minami is too much of a bitch.
>>
>>2905640
>the *only* thing we've ever "heard" Yuri think is: "I wonder what I really think of her."
That's not true. We hear Yuri's thoughts on occasion, most recently in ch 156. The manga recommending chapter 136 has a nice long internal monologue from her.

>So, you're agreeing that Yuri wants more than friendship?
I don't think she's at a point where she consciously wants a relationship with Tomoko, but I think she's attracted to her. I just don't see anyone acting like that over a friend, assuming mental illness isn't involved.

>>2905641
>Obviously because Tomoko resonates with her best
But most of Yuri's angst about Tomoko is specifically about her fearing that they don't actually resonate. She thinks she and Tomoko are fundamentally different because she doesn't find the manga moving, she becomes jealous and angry when she thinks Tomoko likes other girls more than her and she's even upset that Tomoko's closer to her oldest friend than her. That's the kind of fear you have about your crush, not your friend. As you say, she's very different from Mako and Yoshida, and she isn't the least bit worried about it.
>>
>>2905658
>But most of Yuri's angst about Tomoko is specifically about her fearing that they don't actually resonate.
Yeah, because she assumed that they did.

It's actually quite the pickle that I'm surprised actually came across well. They got along really nicely, Yuri assumed a lot of things about her (correctly, I might add), but still their relationship had an obvious disconnect. On the rare occasion Tomoko even spoke a name for Yuri at all it was the strictly formal "Tamura-san", to which she always replied "Kuroki-san", as if they weren't friends. There are a few more damning indicators like "Surprise: Tomoko has friends outside of school, even though I thought she was a total loner", and "Tomoko likes this thing that doesn't move me at all... oh fuck it doesn't move Minami either? What does that mean?"

Personally I've been in a similar situation of not being sure whether I'm actually as close of a friend as I think I am to someone, so I definitely get that. I'm not a possessive type, though.
>>
>>2905658
>That's not true.
Yeah, already admitted my dumb mistake. Running on not so much sleep right now.

I completely agree with your points by the way, including how she hasn't yet consciously acknowledged it. I don't see how anyone, who's not going into full rage mode at any ship that's not their own *cough*, could miss this stuff.

>>2905664
Yuri isn't socially competent or secure enough to realise being exactly the same as someone isn't a good recipe for a relationship. Being a bit different is a good thing, she has nothing to worry about.
>>
Hope that guy that made the Asuka album does the same with the other members of Tomoko's harem.
>>
>>2905670
>I don't see how anyone, who's not going into full rage mode at any ship that's not their own *cough*, could miss this stuff.
You really don't understand. If it had something to it, I'd probably be all aboard. How else would I be okay with two different characters for Tomoko? Hell, I even like Nemo as a possibility, and think there's evidence for it. Not much, not at all, but eh, something. I still am pretty convinced that she's only interested in friendship.
>>
>>2905673
I'm really not the kind of person to convince myself of a ship without what I see as very strong evidence to back it up, because that just leads to disappointment. Gave up the hopeless ships circa 2010 when most stuff was still bait. I started reading this manga for Tomoko, yuri/Yuri wasn't a factor then. And I don't ship in general much anymore. Only couple since ~2010 other than YuriMoko, was Max and Chloe from Life is Strange, and I was less invested in them. Usually, I only have soft spots for couples, but don't ship. At some point, YuriMoko hit me unexpectedly, and when I binge re-read everything recently, over a single weekend, which was a good way to refresh everything, it struck me as even more obvious. If I said why, I'm sure you'd just tell me I'm projecting, but I'm not, because who would want to be in Yuri's situation right now.
>>
>>2905618
You can check for yourself if you want, Pixiv allows you to filter by date so it's pretty easy to just compare them month by month or whatever (I've done it myself just cause I actually think it's pretty interesting to see how characters' popularity compared over time). Yuri gets significantly more fanart than any other character, as does her pairing with Tomoko. Even Asuka's recent burst in popularity still barely puts her above Nemo (who herself hasn't had a proper focus chapter in like half a year, bear in mind)
>>2905623
>Looking myself Yuri's pairing is higher but Asuka is very close. As in, since the pairing really started Yuri only has about a page over her in pixiv results (which is, of course, JUST pixiv results). Given Asuka has been around a lot less and Yuri's been around a lot longer, I'd say that speaks to something significant.
What? this isn't even true. Since the beginning of June the Yurimoko tag has 21 hits. the Katomoko tag has 3. Extend that to the beginning of May and it's 59 to 19. During March and April the Yurimoko tag got 102 hits and the Katomoko tag got 14. January to February and it's 96 to 16. Et cetera.
Sorry if this comes off as overly confrontational or whatever, it's not like I'm trying to turn this into a pissing contest or something. And obviously the amount of Pixiv art a character gets is hardlthe end-all-be-all indicator of character popularity. But Asuka's popularity on this board specifically isn't really reflective of her popularity in the Japanese fanbase as a whole. She IS popular, obviously, but she's still AT BEST equal to Nemo in popularity, and more likely somewhere below Nemo and above Ucchi. It's not like /u/ where nowadays Asuka is overwhelmingly more popular than anybody else and barely anybody gives a shit about Nemo at all any more.
>>
File: 72773545_p1.jpg (338 KB, 658x1054)
338 KB
338 KB JPG
>>2905690
Thanks for pulling the actual numbers! I knew YuriMoko was ahead, but I didn't know the disparity was so big.
>>
>>2905690
For what is worth, I check the #わたモテ (Watamote) tag every day and the amount of Asuka related fanart and content have been getting posted more often these past few months. Tomoko is still the queen of course.

The rest of the characters is more or less evenly spread, with Nemo having a slightly larger presence, although Yoshida got a surge after 158's events.
>>
>>2905664
Calling someone Last Name-san doesn't mean you aren't friends. It's how Yuri refers to Yoshida and she considers her a good friend. Going by first names is just more intimate. Yuri's reaction to Yuu wasn't just her being surprised, but specifically anger at there being someone Tomoko was closer to than her. This isn't like her competing with Nemo over who gets to be her bestie, since Yuu belongs to a part of Tomoko's life that has nothing to do with her, but it was still more than she could bear. That level of possessiveness isn't healthy in any case, but at least it can be justified if it's hormones and gay confusion screwing with her. If that's what Yuri's actually like as a friend, Tomoko should run away fast.

I just don't get how that kind of behavior could be platonic. Can you name famous similar examples from other works or real life? Preferably not Japanese, since they have the Class S thing screwing things. (Class S is not non-romantic.)
>>
File: N13.png (238 KB, 869x1236)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
>>2905702
>I just don't get how that kind of behavior could be platonic.
Deal with more people, I guess. I don't get how you see "no signs of romantic interest" and think "oh, she's in love"
also
>Calling someone Last Name-san doesn't mean you aren't friends. It's how Yuri refers to Yoshida and she considers her a good friend.
You're kind of both right and wrong. It's not only that Tomoko wouldn't refer to her by name (despite her naming another friend (Yuu) by name) it's that she never really referred to Yuri at all. It's more obvious in the raws; she rarely called Yuri anything other than "aitsu" or a Yuri icon in her head and outwardly would typically not say any sort of name.
>If that's what Yuri's actually like as a friend, Tomoko should run away fast.
The "ignoring Yuri has always been like that" angle, I love this one. People usually write this off with "She was only mad that Mako betrayed her" or "She is okay with Minami after that!" when really, she's the most pissed off she's ever been when it came to literally her only friend leaving her, and she clearly has a chip on her shoulder over the fact that Minami shares Mako's friendship with her. She's violent, both passive and active aggressive, and has the tact of a bulldozer. These are her traits.

She's likable as she's relatable and down to earth but this is what she's like. Even Tomoko, dense as a black hole, knows that ignoring Yuri is a bad idea.
>>
>>2905702
>Can you name famous similar examples from other works or real life?
No not really, because deep friendship is usually made or coded gay across the world. I have my own experiences and my sisters' experiences.

I haven't read or watched it myself but I'm TOLD LoTR has a strong male friendship that isn't gay. Scrubs has a VERY strong friendship, but they make fun of it as if it's gay. If I brought up Japanese media I'd point to Helck which extraordinarily features a male/female friendship void of romance, O/A which teases yuri very briefly before sticking with pretty much sisterly friendship, and Yuru Camp, but almost everyone on /u/ is somehow convinced there's romance in that and I'm not dying on that hill here. No.
>>
>>2905716
>Deal with more people, I guess.
I think you would benefit from taking your own advice.

>The "ignoring Yuri has always been like that" angle
That's not a thing, that's just how you're cognitive dissonancing the fact that Yuri has specifically singled out Tomoko after her stairwell laughing/blushing session in fashions Mako introspected were unprecedented.

>No not really, because deep friendship is usually made or coded gay across the world.
Well, at least I know you live in your own world now. It's actually the opposite, lesbian erasure is so common it's a meme ("Gals being pals"). The number of times people would call my gfs or ex-wife and me "friends", even got asked whether my ex-wife was my sister - and I'm a very pale Brit, and she's from the Mediterranean - than treat us as a couple...
>>
File: 004.png (182 KB, 870x1236)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>2905716
>People usually write this off with "She was only mad that Mako betrayed her"
For the insignificant and petty reason that it's true. Mako had apparently promised to be in the same group as her and then she was suddenly going off with someone Yuri hates, stranding her socially retarded self with complete strangers for three days. That would make anyone mad. Aside from that, I can't think of a single instance of Yuri acting possessive over Mako.

>>2905719
Those may be strong friendships, but as far as I know none are legit possessive, which was the point. There isn't a scene where Sam almost breaks someone's arm because he saw Frodo getting along with Legolas, for instance.
>>
>>2905656
It seems to be how she functions and thinks how friends are made, insulting people, it's what she does with her friends not knowing that they are badmouthing her in her back.

That and she seems to want to be around popular people, but there are also lines like her saying that Tomoko is acting high and mighty these days that make me think there is something wrong with the way she looks at people, like the reason why Tomoko is high and mighty is because a weird loner is now walking around with friends.

I imagine Minami just has a way of looking at life that translates into her more easily being bitchy, and that hasn't led her wrong until third year, and only because her equally annoying friends are in another class aside from the one girl that tolerates her, Mako, being in her class.

I am going to guess that only when the friends in her class leave her will she finally start realizing that there is a reason why she lost all of her friends, maybe even pissing off Mako for once as well.

And then Yuri comes in and saves the day making everything worse for her...or it should be, but she doesn't seem to notice Yuri at all despite being the reason why she and Mako were arguing at the field trip, she notices Tomoko a lot more, and talks about her a whole lot more.

Which is odd, but i guess some part of herself notices that the roles have changed, the friendless weird loser that was Tomoko became suprisingly popular and even hanging out with people like Katou while she, a more normal girl, has a much worse social life than Tomoko, i imagine that part of the reason why she fixates on Tomoko and can't miss a chance to insult her isn't just her being a bitch, but the fact that deep down, she is jealous of her and annoyed at how much things changed.
>>
Sorry for posting something big about Minami without having anything related to lesbian girls in this board, the idea of why she fixates on Tomoko just came to mind and i found myself writing it, it's of no interest to anyone and nothing to do with this board.
>>
>>2905725
An arc focusing on Minami's fall from grace and rising into being accepted back into popularity (as part of Tomoko's harem) would be very interesting.
>>
I think it's kind of interesting how Minami's friends are all drawn without faces. The authors usually pay a great deal of attention to even seemingly insignificant characters, so the fact that Minami's group aside from herself are basically all drawn as faceless background characters actually stands out a whole lot, especially in contrast to, say, the Ucchi gang. Like Ucchi's group is actually a group of individuals with their own personalities and dynamics, and then Minami's group is just a nondescript mass who only exist purely as "Minami's group".
>>
>>2905722
Personally I read it as something that shouldn't be discredited given Yuri has no other friends. After she makes other friends, her long-time friend, Mako, can have more freedom. I also keep in consideration the fact that while Yuri is close to Mako, she doesn't feel the same sort of "we're really similar" connection that she has with Tomoko. Couple this with their general touchy dynamics that only very recently were resolved and you have a recipe for a socially awkward clingy type getting upset that their new best friend may not actually be their best friend, or a friend at all. There can be pain and suffering in not being sure of a relationship, even one that is "just" friendship. There are definitely possessive friends, too. While I don't have any, and you'd have to just take my word for it, my older sister's best friend is rather possessive mainly because they don't live in the same town anymore. My younger sister's best friend (a gay guy) is kind of absurdly possessive to the point that my sister is regularly annoyed at how much he wants to be with her.
>>
>>2905736
It could still be Yuri or Mako helping them, but then again, Yuri does not like Minami at all, and Mako hasn't been able to make her nicer as well, and it's true that Minami barely even notices Yuri while only talking to Mako and not missing a damn chance to talk about Tomoko and trying to say she is not all that.

Unless Yuri or Mako does something big to impress her and change her, it does seem like Tomoko would be the best choice, like i wrote before, she seems to pay a suprising amount of attention to Tomoko which i attribute to her being jealous, she is starting to feel more and more lonely while actively dissapointing Mako at every turn which could lead to something bad happening to their relationship.

If she truly gets lonely, well, Tomoko knows all the places that lonely people could hide at, she knows how bad it is to be a loner, and if asked by Mako or others, she could end up helping Minami by searching for her and talking to her, besides, i don't think Minami has badmouthed Tomoko to her face, i am not looking right now at the manga, but i think she was always careful enough to not say anything when Tomoko could hear anything.

It's possible that Tomoko would just notice Minami being lonely, feel pity for her, and try to help her before Minami starts badmouthing in ways that make her remind of herself in her first year and possibly go through with trying to help her.

Or not, honestly, i have no idea what the author will do with Minami, it just seems like she focuses a lot on Tomoko and hangs with Mako so far, but she has made some appearances making me think she will have some arc later on, as far as i know, though, everything i wrote is completely wrong, besides ,Tomoko doesn't need any more girls.
>>
>>2905747
Honestly, i think it's because Minami is implied to be different, she is the only one that Mako hangs out with implying she sees someone in her, she is a really cheerful and energetic girl more in the style of an anime character, and it's implied she isn't all that confident.

Just look at the way she handled herself next to the couple, as a third wheel she mostly just stood there feeling awkward, probably because they didn't talk about anyone else, something i have noticed is that Minami only has confidence when badmouthing someone else, but doesn't seem to talk about much else for some reason, one of the rare times we saw her mention something was the manga that Mako gave her, and she talked about other manga that Mako gave her, almost as if she really can only gossip, insult others or talk about things other people shared with her because she can't talk about herself or come up with conversation starters of her own.

The thing is, that worked for quite a while apparently, thanks to her group of friends who only seem to want to judge and badmouth others, but when they moved to another class, that meant that she came across one fact she never realized, she doesn't know how to talk with most people, Mako herself only seems to tolerate her because she is really nice.

Meanwhile, Tomoko just seemingly got her life turned around as soon as hers started getting worse, Tomoko is getting more and more popular, people seem to like her more than Minami, her usual tactic of badmouthing people, particularly Tomoko, fails at every turn, Tomoko, in a way, is having the class and high school experience that Minami wants, she even hangs out with Mako as well.
>>
>>2905754
I've said this before, but I really don't see how Tomoko would ever end up befriending Minami. Even if Tomoko did for whatever reason try to reach out to Minami, Minami would just tell her to fuck off, and I honestly don't think Tomoko is nice enough to force herself to engage with somebody who would most likely just act like a bitch to her.
A "Mako tries to integrate Minami into her friend group" chapter/arc could actually be pretty fun. Obviously after significant Fang development since she would actually never go along with that as she is now.
>>
And yeah, she seems to be weirdly obsessed with Tomoko, even if nowhere near as much as Ucchi's, good examples are the way she took pictures of Tomoko's make-up that Katou gave her or the pictures of her walking with a low skirt, from what i understand, she only showed the pictures to Ucchi once she met someone talking about Tomoko, she wasn't going around saying "Look at this ugly girl, lol!" or anything like that.

She just took pictures of Tomoko without anyone noticing and walked around with those, she isn't even talking to anyone other than her friends and Mako, she wouldn't show the pictures to Mako, and she never introduces herself while showing the hilarious pictures she has of Tomoko, i don't know if she even showed those to her friends, she just took pictures of Tomoko with a small skirt and never ever deleted those.
>>
this thread needs more ucchi
>>
>>2905769
Can't go wrong with more Ucchi, she is pretty fun to read, can't wait until we finally get the long awaited apology scene.
>>
File: D8yS_puWkAE4TBk.jpg (163 KB, 1518x1075)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
Wholesome Ucchi gang.
>>
>>2905797
okay but what if we went... less wholesome
>>
>>2905469
Tomoko is actually a really well written example of heteronermativity.

She wants a boyfriend because of the status, because it's what girls are supposed to do.
When she thought Nemo was hitting on her she was thrilled, but worried about the social judgment involved.
Even though she knows about the existence of LGBT stuff, she still thinks that she's "normal", and she wants to be normal, so therefore she can't be gay.
She's got a bunch of flimsy reasons to justify why her attraction to girls isn't REALLY gay, or that girls are just naturally attractive and everyone thinks like that, etc etc.

Like I remain convinced that either the writer or artist is gay/bi, because it really feels like they're writing this based on personal experience.
>>
>>2905818
By adding something gross in, you mean? I could get behind that.
>>
>>2905818
I dunno. That sounds kinda キモい。
>>
>>2905822
100% agree. Tomoko is really relatable to me because of this.
>>
>>2905822
Now that you mention this, I don't remember any instance of Tomoko calling any males she's had contact with attractive. She seems to be more attached to the idea of a boyfriend that to the male gender itself.
Meanwhile, she has expressed physical and sexual attraction to other girls. Several times.
>>
>>2905850
There was hot convenience store clerk, hot guy at scavenger hunt, hot voice actor at meet and greet, hot guy in Akihabara who tried to sell her a narwhal painting. No named characters as far as I know, and I think the only recurring one is the hot scavenger hunt guy.
>>
File: 58673586.png (874 KB, 861x1850)
874 KB
874 KB PNG
Yoshida's birthday
>>
>>2904645
Beautiful OP
>>
>>2905767
I suppose the ultimate test for proving Tomoko whether or not has taken over the Megumi Imae's role, it's she is able to help Minami, after all, Kibako depicts Kuro's pettiness, as well as the craving for being popular which once she had.
>>
Post songs that remind you of characters
>>
>>2905991
That's kinda why i want Tomoko and Minami to interact even though Yuri has more history with her, Minami is petty, judges others internally and in some ways reminds Tomoko of how she used to be.
>>
>>2905909
It's like she wants to get beaten all the time.
>>
>>2905749
Okay, but if Nico's goal was to depict Yuri as someone who's generally possessive of her friends, would you agree that they've done a pretty bad job of it when the one instance of her doing it to Mako was actually pretty reasonable?

>>2905991
Tomoko befriending Minami would be a jump the shark moment for me. Tomoko's gotten a lot nicer than she was, but she's not a saint, nor should she be. I could see her having empathy for Minami and doing something to help her, like Yuri presumably felt empathy for her when she told Mako to go comfort her at Disneyland, but nothing beyond that.
>>
>>2906074
>but if Nico's goal was to depict Yuri as someone who's generally possessive of her friends, would you agree that they've done a pretty bad job of it when the one instance of her doing it to Mako was actually pretty reasonable?
No, and I've already explained why. I don't like going in circles but the gestalt is "her relationships each have different specific aspects"
>>
>>2906027
The Ramones are Yoshida's theme band. A punk band with somewhat edgy lyrics, but it's all actually pretty good-natured and the songs are catchy as hell. For a specific song, I'll go with Teenage Lobotomy:
https://youtu.be/6ssoBUb2cJk
>>
I just would love to see Tomoko from chapter 1 or middle school looking at Tomoko nowadays, actually, someone did a Yuri fan comic with various versions of her, has anyone done that with Tomoko?

Boy, i can imagine current Tomoko getting incredibly embarassed if her friends could talk to her old selves.
>>
>>2905909
Cute ,i want to see her wear it
>>
File: closet-lesbian.jpg (67 KB, 798x321)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2905822
Agree completely. Assumed I was straight (despite never actually crushing on a guy) until I was in love with a girl. Funny how that works.
Re: Ikko and Niko, I think Niko might be either gay or bi. She keeps her identity secret, partly due to social anxiety sure, but Ikko is really awkward too but still makes appearances. Even though Niko was a shut-in at one time, she quit that and met Ikko when they worked at the same place.
Also, if Tomoko is Ikko's avatar in the story, Yuri is Niko's. There's no other character who would fit what we know about her.

>>2905850
>>2905886
She has referred to guys as attractive. Which is kinda so what, it's normal to find someone attractive but not as a requirement want to get into their pants in reality. (Fantasy is another matter, fantasies are weird.) I think Korean actor Jo In-sung is sexy as fuck and would probably melt into stuttering incoherence if I randomly met him, but all I'd wanna do is just look at him.
What Tomoko has never done is think that a guy smelt good. Smell is a big part of the biology/psychology of attraction. And she's completely obsessed with how amazing girls smell, right from the first time she gets to smell Yuu. That tells me... something...

>>2906027
Not that I can picture her listening to it, but "TV" by Colleen Green reminds me of former-Tomoko, if you replace TV with PC.
https://youtu.be/8C_9rc0L_gc
"In my room where I don't have to worry, About a conversation, And I don't have to worry, About being fun"

>>2906074
You're not going to convince him.
>>
Man, poor Yuu, at one point she was basically the one girl that Tomoko could be shipped with, and now she rarely appears and Tomoko has other friends.

Not that it matters since Yuu has a boyfriend.
>>
>>2906126
Yuu dumped him.
>>
>>2906126
>>2906127
Yuu has very straight vibes to her though, so I think she'll survive. And Tomoko holds her intelligence in too much contempt to be interested, I think. Fine for her to perv over, but I think she'd get bored. Tomoko is really judgemental after all.

>>
She likes Yuu as a person and doesn't really seem to think of her as being all that dumb, just not smart enough to enter her high school, but she isn't saying she is really stupid all the time.

Despite whatever judgment she has or new friends, Tomoko still likes Yuu and considers her an important friend, just, she's the one that she can freely perv over without her friend noticing or caring.

Yuu having other friends, a boyfriend and her thinking Yuu certainly isn't a virgin or anything like that has never stopped her from liking to hang out with Yuu, hell, the one and only time she got tired and actually annoyed at Yuu to the point she was blatantly rude was when Yuu commented it would be nice for Komiyama to marry Tomoko's brother, which is an idea that Tomoko absolutely hates enough to tell Yuu to shut up and never ever repeat that in her face.
>>
Wait, she does think of Yuu as naive and not as smart as her, but Yuu does seem to be somewhat naive(though not as much as Tomoko seems to think) and Yuu herself has admitted that in academic matters, she is not as good as Tomoko and Komiyama, but both of them don't care about whether Yuu is smart or not, they just like hanging out with her.
>>
File: 1556164171145.png (340 KB, 673x688)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
>>
>>2905797
and then Yoko appeared
>>
>>2906226
What the heck is the backstory behind this?
>>
>>2906261
It's an edit of Write Sisters, one of Nico's cancelled series
>>
>>2905886
I think either explanation would make sense. She definitely gets nervous around hot guys, and her not seeming quite as attracted to dudes as to girls might just be because a girl displaying too much physical attraction to a dude is still considered over the line / too slutty. It's not like basically any het romance series has the female protagonist really spelling out her physical attraction to dudes either.

OTOH, Tomoko definitely considers physical looks as part of someone's social status, and she gets nervous around high status people. It's like meeting a celebrity, I don't want to fuck Tom Hanks, but if I met him I'd still be blushing and nervous and trying not to fuck up. Some of Tomoko's interactions with hot guys feel more like that sort of dynamic.

Back when everything was still subtext I was still in the "Tomoko's bi" camp, though I thought she leaned more towards liking girls romantically, since we've seen that she's pretty obviously got a type of girl she goes for.

Now it seems like she's written more as full lesbian, once she gave up on getting a boyfriend her notice of male physical attractiveness totally disappeared too. Which seems like a decent argument that male good looks were always more about Boyfriend Status to Tomoko than just like sexual attraction.
>>
File: D9GZxh4UwAE3BOz.jpg (171 KB, 635x916)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/gyutei_4koma/status/1139861368666910725

Asuka and that cup of tea are becoming a meme
>>
And damn, another fan comic that makes me wish i knew how to read japanese.
>>
A nice silent Yoshida/Tomoko/Yuri comic
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=75242172
>>
>>2906297
>her notice of male physical attractiveness totally disappeared too
This. She has talked to that one trap-looking dude and her best reaction was "you exist", even noting how he didn't make her heart skip a beat.
Also that one glasses dude Asuka talks to and the one hot dude from the sports festival.
>>
>>2906394
Don't think i ever saw this trio, YoshidaXTomoko is a pretty rare shipping after all, but yeah, it really seemed like Yoshida wanted to walk under the rain with Tomoko by her side but got too embarassed.
>>
>>2906396
I think the last time there was even anything related to men was her showing Kii that otome game, but she wasn't that interested, i don't think she has even been listening to drama CD's of guys talking and last game we saw her playing was an action game, a direct contrast to a time where she didn't care about Super Smash Bros because otome games were so much better to her.

It kinda feels like once she got people to hang out with, games based on relationships with men or other people stopped interesting her as much and she is now focusing on other stuff like action games.
>>
>>2906118
>What Tomoko has never done is think that a guy smelt good
You just legit converted me to the "Tomoko is a lesbian" camp.
>>
File: closet-lesbian2.jpg (198 KB, 710x1280)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>2906471
I feel like I've done my good deed for the day.
>>
>>2906118
>What Tomoko has never done is think that a guy smelt good
Tomoko also hangs out a lot more with girls than with guys, so can't really tell if they smell good or not if you never get close to them.
>>
File: hands.jpg (359 KB, 1984x1286)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>2906471
Oh and as an aside I'd also like to point out Tomoko can do some pretty impressive stuff with her hands. Dexterity I'm sure can be put to other uses in the future.

>>2906494
She's been up close to a bunch though, including being carried by a good-looking boy on sports day, and was surrounded by them in class for a least one term (and what's the first thing she thinks when she gets moved to spot surrounded by girls? Oh, it's how good it suddenly smells around her). Also it's a mixed sex school, so I'm sure she's got to smell plenty of guys, and for someone who's always remarking on how good girls smell in general, like she isn't exactly picky, you'd think she'd have remarked just once that a guy smelt even just okay. But nope.
>>
I mean, even in the early chapter when she paid more attention to guys, she never seemed to be as interested in any of them as Yuu, even the guy in the cafe or the guy that gave her an umbrella were just some guys at the end of things.

Meanwhile, girls like Yuu and Katou have her react a lot more, and she is quite interested at looking at panties or touching some breasts.

Even the interest in guys fact is a bit weird because...she just stopped caring, even her otaku tastes seem to no longer revolve around otome games, hell, she has even admitted to not being interested at some eroge games as well, that being said, i do think she is bisexual.

At the early chapters, there were some scenes were she had quite a fertile imagination revolving around guys and as time went on, her interest in girls has come to a point where i genuinely can't believe the author intends her to be just straight at all, no freaking way she is just straight, she is either bi or a lesbian.
>>
File: closet-lesbian3.jpg (174 KB, 790x843)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>2906509
>fertile imagination revolving around guys
Before I figured myself out, I fantasised about guys. Because it's default. Also, some lesbians watch both het and/or gay male porn. Because enjoying watching or fantasising about something doesn't automatically mean you want to do it yourself.

That said, Tomoko completely forgot about guys when she got surrounded by girls. Even in the early days. See image; a whole year, and she only realises at the end. Few panels later she decides it was actually a pretty good year. I think her days of fantasising about guys are over.
>>
Maybe i should reread things, but i swear that even a little before the field trip, Tomoko just stopped caring about guys, and her otaku tastes seem to have changed, she still remembers the events that happened, but, aside from showing Akane and Hina some eroge game scenes, one of said games being one she has never played, and giving Kii an otome game to play...there has been nothing from what i recall, no yandere guys CD, no otome games, no eroge games, no boys love manga, just nothing of the sort.

Instead she just seems to watch some anime shows that are apparently violent and filled with action, her gaming tastes seem to have changed and the manga we have seen her discuss the most is a sad one.

OKAY, she reads ecchi manga, but honestly, a lot of ecchi manga have mostly female fanservice, not guys, and Yuri didn't mind the ecchi manga as well.

And she gave one to Shizuku that made her blush, but it kinda felt like Tomoko barely remembered she had it or remembered those scenes as she seemed convinced she had a table tennis manga instead of something perverted.

I guess she just moved all of her perverted desires towards the real world rather than fiction?
>>
File: D9BnUOyU8AU8IIm.jpg (146 KB, 1500x1700)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
Cute short-haired Tomoko.
>>
>>2906518
tbf a lot of Japanese lesbians seem to fuckin' love their BL manga too.

It's like they can read their smutty gay stories, without getting tied up in shame about expressing sexual desires as a Japanese woman.
>>
>>2906544
I'd really love to see an official version of short-haired Tomoko in some omake or something.

I know the long hair is like her trademark look, but Tomoko would be adorable with a short bob.
>>
File: D1jZdKVUcAAXksH.jpg (484 KB, 1330x2048)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
>>2906544
Anyone else have any more short-haired Tomoko, this is the only one I have.
>>
>>2906544
No.
>>
>>2906764
The eyes are closer to her canon self and it's still cute!
>>
File: 01.jpg (319 KB, 700x1000)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
>>2906764
>>
File: 02.jpg (403 KB, 800x1000)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>2906775
>>
File: 03.jpg (285 KB, 700x1000)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
>>2906778
>>
File: 04.jpg (110 KB, 700x1000)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>2906780
>>
>>2906518
>i swear that even a little before the field trip, Tomoko just stopped caring about guys
The sports chapter (ch 86) where she ahegaos because of male contact happens after Kyoto, but reading it again it's rather odd. Even with all her sexual metaphors, Tomoko doesn't seem to actually enjoy being touched by the hot guys, even mixed with all the embarrassment. It's a big contrast to something like ch 155, where even though she's embarrassed and anxious, she's still aroused by Asuka's offer.

>there has been nothing from what i recall
The manga isn't nearly as focused on Tomoko's media consumption in general, so it's hard to tell what's happening on that front. Chapter 141, where she watches Kemono Friends with Kii-chan, does imply her tastes have become more mainstream since she chose to watch something called Freestyle Dungeon over it. However, Tomoko still presumably watches some kind of porn, even if the manga doesn't show it.

>a lot of ecchi manga have mostly female fanservice
Is there even such a thing as an ecchi manga with male fanservice?
>>
>>2906792
Immediately after that race with a boy, Tomoko immediately decides "that's enough I'm gonna go look at girls to feel better"
>>
>>2906797
Whoops didn't mean to use that word twice
>>
>>2906792
>Is there even such a thing as an ecchi manga with male fanservice?
Golden Kamuy

it's bears and burly men all over the goddamn place
>>
>>2906797
The way you ought to look at that is that she got boy overload, not that she was sick of boys. She's only ever been disgusted or has disliked one guy (fat artist), and she swooned over him after he drew her picture.

But I'd honestly say that was mostly because she wanted any kind of relationship at that point.
>>
>>2906355
Can anyone explain what is being said here, this seems fun.
>>
>>2906800
She's never seemed to get girl overload, even after that asuka's boobs incident instead of feeling she's had too much, she resorted to groping Yoshida.
>>
>>2906806
That's not really helpful to a gay argument. It just means she's more comfortable around girls than boys. She has similar reactions to hot boys that she has with Asuka, but only AFTER she's gotten used to Asuka (which is interesting). At first, she didn't really blush or anything around Asuka
>>
To me Tomoko is bisexual, she has shown too much interest in both girls and boys that i really doubt she is straight or lesbian, as in, the idea that she is bisexual seems so blatantly obvious i don't even think there is any subtext about it.
>>
File: D7Pwno5U0AAw3hW.png (412 KB, 900x600)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
It's funny, Tomoko and Yoshida are the ones in suspension, but according to fan art, it seems like the ones that were truly punished were the people they know, so have Ucchi going crazy without her daily dose of Tomoko.
>>
>>2906817
To me she's definitely a lesbian. Her interest in boys is so superficial and so much like the overcompensating phase a lot of gay people go through. I acted kind of similarly with getting into a bunch of different kinds of perverted hetshit before realizing that I can't be a normal straight person. It wasn't really a conscious thing. You can say I'm projecting, but it's really such a perfect telling of my own experience that I really can't believe she actually likes guys.
>>
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=75255079

anyone?
>>
>>2906820
While your argument does have viability from a textual perspective, I'll admit it's incredibly difficult for me to imagine that Ikko thought about anything like that, as a (presumably) straight dude who based much of Tomoko's personality and ordeals on what he went through in high school.

I think that she genuinely was interested in getting a boyfriend for status, but considering she masturbates to guys, gets turned on by guys, really wants to fuck guys, I can't write that off as just posing or anything, it really is probably genuine interest. No romantic interest, that seems for certain, but that body of hers definitely gets turned on by both boys and girls.
>>
>>2906829
Holy crap, i don't mind if it's just raws, i wanna see that!
>>
>>2906839
She's been exposed to super high levels of heteronormalisation, and way higher than average because of all the sexualised media she locked herself away in her bedroom with at the start. See image for one particularly obvious example. (Coincidentally she quits that when girls surround her.)

>I think that she genuinely was interested in getting a boyfriend for status, but considering she masturbates to guys, gets turned on by guys, really wants to fuck guys
Aside from fantasy just being fantasy (earlier posts), she forgot about all that ages ago, when her female harem happened. Since then she has literally forgotten about guys (earlier posts).

>that body of hers definitely gets turned on by both boys and girls.
That's only really happened over the stuff in her head. Her reaction over boys irl is much more indicative of embarrassment and social anxiety. She hasn't liked the smell of a guy, and she hasn't been up close to a guy and had drool trickling down her chin either.

>incredibly difficult for me to imagine that Ikko thought about anything like that
Except Watamote is the work of a male and female team. Ikko always describes it as an equal partnership, they met working the same job at a publisher and worked together since, why do people forget about Niko. Sure she keeps herself completely to herself, but we know bits and pieces from her official bio, those bits at the end of volumes, and stuff Ikko has said. And he's said she has influence on the characters. Also, if anything she's even more socially awkward than Ikko, she used to be a shut-in. And if you recall one of the bits at the end of a volume, talks about how Niko had an anxiety attack when consulting on the anime, had to leave the room.
>>
>>2906848
>She hasn't liked the smell of a guy
You know that means nothing, right. My straight sisters are primarily turned on by physique and never have any interest in smells. Honestly, smell attraction is typically classed as fetishization, and men generally don't care about their scent in the first place beyond, hopefully, NOT smelling like BO. Especially high school boys. High school girls being concerned with smelling very nice? Sure. Boys? Eh.

>why do people forget about Niko
It's not forgetting, she's primarily the artist, that's all, and having influence is just about that. We don't know how much she actually affects things, but we do know that the primary author is Ikko and that the primary source of inspiration for the series was his own life. Anyway this is a lot of downplaying observations and it seems you're stubborn. There's no point in showing you what there is if you just don't want to see what it is due to your own biases. I'd agree that Watamote is complex and subtly written, but it hasn't always been and it's been confirmed quite a few times that it's changed direction and completely switched away from what original plans there were, so thinking things like "Tomoko was ONLY ever a lesbian in denial and ONLY ever interested in boys as a status symbol despite being regularly turned on by boys and girls except boys don't count because much, much later we don't see it" is pretty absurd. I can't imagine it was ever like that, and if anything would just argue that perhaps over time her sexual preference has swung in a particular direction--which happens. I spent enough time when I was in college pretending authors were saying or doing things they weren't, and am subsequently uninterested in doing it any more.
>>
File: 1457662847013.png (1.68 MB, 1760x1079)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
>>2906851
That's a lot of condescension you packed into one post, oneesan. Not who you're replying to right now by the way.
>>
>>2906852
I've never been a theory crafter, same reason I'm massively put off by the Souls games, and have a legitimate resentment toward academia.
>>
>>2906851
>You know that means nothing, right.
Well, uh it kinda does. It's a thoroughly researched area of the biology and psychology of attraction. Smell is a really strong indicator of relationship success. (And therefore, Ikko and Niko, being, y'know, a human beings, have experience with it, and creatives draw on their experiences, etc)

>My straight sisters are primarily turned on by physique
Nice sample size there, surely representative, not worthlessly anecdotal at all. It's not like large RCTs have been done worldwide or anything. And your (non-random, tiny) sample being related, a good explanation for that would be your family have SNPs that lower sensitivity to smell. Also, and/or, because you come from a background (presumably shared in large part with your sisters) that taught you it was fetishisation, maybe your sisters just don't want to talk about it.

>Honestly, smell attraction is typically classed as fetishization
You clearly have no knowledge of the actual science. And might be hamstrung by those SNPs in your actual experiences.

>It's not forgetting, she's primarily the artist, that's all, and having influence is just about that.
Yes, I'm sure you have some greater insight into their working relationship beyond the rest of us.

>that it's changed direction and completely switched away from what original plans there were
What does it matter if Tomoko wasn't always intended to be lesbian in the creators heads, if it turned out that way after? I mean, that's assuming she wasn't. The signs are there right from the start. Real boys: social anxiety; real girls: drooling, wants to smell/grope/sexually harass etc

>a legitimate resentment toward academia
Ah right, you're one of those folks who like to revel in their ignorance. It'd be safe to disregard everything you say out of hand then.

Also, nice how you totally ignore the topic of heteronormalisation, and the nature of fantasy. I figure you couldn't think up anything to dismiss those.
>>
>>2906856
>Also, nice how you totally ignore the topic of heteronormalisation, and the nature of fantasy. I figure you couldn't think up anything to dismiss those.
>>2906839
>your argument does have viability from a textual perspective
If you want to chill for a moment, I'm saying that in a vacuum it's a good analysis of the series that holds water. Considering the author, I doubt it's actually the case though. I'm saying "that's really complicated thinking to expect from someone who believed their series wouldn't last past 2 volumes".
>>
File: vol 6 afterword.jpg (462 KB, 558x2443)
462 KB
462 KB JPG
Niko in all of the omake is depicted as having a constant dopey smile on her face and being kind of childish. Besides also having social anxiety I don't see the the "Yuri as author avatar" theory holding much weight
>>
>>2906856
Smell might be scientifically a large component of sexuality, but in narrative fiction it is hardly ever brought up beyond nostalgia, calming, or total fetish fuel. It's an awkward thing to bring up, after all, even if humans are concerned with it.

This remains true in Watamote. Smell is only brought up in perverted contexts. I don't have actual numbers, but I am willing to bet that if you actually went through most fiction, yuri or otherwise, you'd notice smell is rarely ever mentioned.
>>
Here's transcripts of the radio interviews with Ikko Tanigawa.

http://watamote.com/internet-radio-show-tanigawa-ikko-appeared-part-1/
http://watamote.com/internet-radio-show-tanigawa-ikko-appeared-part-2/

Ikko doesn't seem to talk much. The host interjects too much I think, he even closed the show by saying that he wants tomoko to get a boyfriend. Probably as a joke though.

>>2906860
Niko doesn't really write, but she sort of assigns the characters' attributes, supervises, and decides how the female characters should talk and act like. She's not a plot writer, but I think she has better understanding of the characters. Also the writer obviously drew some inspirations from her, like that barfing thing.
>>
>>2906862
Watamote is far from being a conventional manga, let alone conventional yuri. I do believe Tomoko never finding guys smelling good is a clue that she's not really interested in them compared to girls.
>>
>>2906870
I think it's much more likely she just never thought about it. Though in relation to guys and smell you have one of the few "completely aroused" Tomoko moments in the series with her getting the seiyuu to insult her and then enjoying that thoroughly at home later.
>>
>>2906860
Well, that's talking about her now... when she's been working with Niko for years, a long time since she was actually a shut-in. Clearly she is not the person she was in high-school (when she graduated, that was when she became a shut-in). So. Yuri is a high-school girl, and *if* Niko has a high-school aged avatar in Watamote, Yuri is the obvious choice. Also, I don't think she's a bear irl either, so I think some artistic license might have been taken with appearances. That's just a hunch though.

>>2906862
>Smell might be scientifically a large component of sexuality, but
As someone with a contempt for science (and therefore presumably an ignorance of it) I can see why you wouldn't get it. Science is not some separate thing from the world, existing it it's own stuffy sphere of people in white coats and test tubes, it's the only method we have of accurately perceiving the world free of human biases and confounding variables. So, if science determines something to be (very probably <p 0.05) true, it accurately describes the world. If people live in the world, they experience it that way, regardless of whether they understand why they do, or have the slightest knowledge of the science behind it. As I put it: Ikko and Niko, being, y'know, human beings, have experience with it, and creatives draw on their experiences, etc

>This remains true in Watamote. Smell is only brought up in perverted contexts.
Tomoko is perverted. And closeted. Of course she interprets arousal through the lens of perversion. And at the moment, she doesn't even want to confront her arousal around girls as anything more than a perversion of hers. Smell is obviously a huge deal to her regardless (unlike for you sisters, so the anecdote is kinda doubly worthless). And she's never once commented on a boy's smell, etc.

>>2906870
Exactly. A huge amount of personal experience has obviously gone into the characters and situations. This isn't some, to quote Tomoko, "shitty SOL or 4koma".
>>
>>2906872
Yeah, but at home, later. In the elaborate fantasy she constructs in her head while lying on her bed. And then in the one she makes by splicing audio clips from eroge. To his face, she's just embarrassed/socially anxious, and doesn't have a single thought about how he smells.
>>
>>2906864
Yeah, they're not great, and maybe it's just me but I'd have rather not had interviews at all. For what it's worth, the few bits of information were alright, I guess. The MP definitely irritated me...

>>2906873
>As someone with a contempt for science (and therefore presumably an ignorance of it)
Uh, what? I said academia and we were talking about literary analysis, I obviously meant the arts, which are full of bullshit that I have firsthand experience contending with. It's certainly not science. You really are the sort of person to get really hung up, and it's sort of a bother dealing with you.

Hopefully you realize what I'm actually talking about eventually or actually see what I'm saying as I've, from the start, seen what you're saying. If you're still unclear on what that is it's "I don't really care about theories making sense or not textually when the author had no intent behind it".
>>
>>2906877
Her fantasy is being insulted for how SHE smells, so I'm not sure why his scent would come into the picture for that fantasy. Seems like reaching for what was just an obvious "Tomoko is a hopeless pervert" joke.
>>
>>2906860
huh maybe Niko is actually Yoshida *bigthink*
>>
>>2906873
>if Niko has a high-school aged avatar in Watamote
That's exactly my problem with the theory, of what little we know of her she's not that similar to any of the characters and it's silly to presuppose that one of them has to be her avatar.
>>
File: 75255211_p1.jpg (760 KB, 2068x1425)
760 KB
760 KB JPG
>>
File: 75259213_p2.jpg (206 KB, 630x765)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>
File: 75259213_p3.jpg (242 KB, 956x677)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>
File: 75259213_p4.jpg (286 KB, 690x974)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
>>
File: 75259646_p4.jpg (1.09 MB, 1191x1684)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>
>>2906873
>she's been working with Niko for years
Oops, I meant Ikko.

>>2906878
>I said academia and we were talking about literary analysis
Well, you brought up anecdote, and spuriously claimed smell wasn't a big deal. So of course it's necessary to bring in science. You didn't specify any specific area of academia, and as someone from a scientific background, that's what I think of when someone says academia.

>"I don't really care about theories making sense or not textually when the author had no intent behind it".
"If people live in the world, they experience it that way, regardless of whether they understand why they do, or have the slightest knowledge of the science behind it."
"Ikko and Niko, being, y'know, a human beings, have experience with it, and creatives draw on their experiences"
I should add to the latter: whether they intend to or not, know whether they are doing it or not.

>>2906879
Yeah... about how she smells. Nothing to do with how the guy smells. Like I said, Tomoko never expresses any interest in how guys smell. What's your point?

>>2906881
Yoshida gonna be a shut-in when she graduates and has social issues?

>>2906883
I always phrased it in the language of possibility, not certainty. *If* she does, it's *most likely* to be Yuri. I don't think it's silly to presuppose a creative inserts a character into their work whom is more like themselves, or a colleague, than any other character. Aside from the fact many authors do it deliberately (either because it's easy to keep the character consistent, or if it's an ego thing), human beings aren't good at original thought, they rehash experiences.
>>
File: latest.png (161 KB, 636x491)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
>>2906859
>>2906878
I'm confused about what your stance is now. Are you saying that it all makes complete sense but you reject it because you don't think the author was smart enough to write it or something? Do you think the creators of watamote just... accidentally made a story where anon's character analysis, which is supported through the entire series, could exist? By some series of wild coincidences over 8 years?
>>
>>2906892
>spuriously claimed smell wasn't a big deal. So of course it's necessary to bring in science.
No, it's not really ever necessary to bring sciences into arts. It's almost like that's why they're two entirely separate schools of thought or something
>You didn't specify any specific area of academia
What is context?
>"If people live in the world, they experience it that way, regardless of whether they understand why they do, or have the slightest knowledge of the science behind it."
>"Ikko and Niko, being, y'know, a human beings, have experience with it, and creatives draw on their experiences"
Exactly. So why do you think they're drawing on your personal experiences? While I'm fully aware societal context affects authors, to claim that these two Japanese, misfits or not, are or were considering about hetero-normative thinking, or that they were crafting a closet lesbian by making her near-openly bisexual, is absolute typical "seeing what isn't there". Funnily I'd actually argue that the "boyfriend as a status symbol" absolutely is there and that it's even more obvious as the title is about popularity in romantic relationships. However, where it's falling apart is sexuality. I'm not wearing goggles tight enough to see what IS bisexuality AS lesbian sexuality being repressed and thus expressed through more "normal" sexuality. That's too high level for a fairly thoughtless gag manga. There's text, there's subtext, and then there's "reinterpretation". Something like that.
>Yeah... about how she smells. Nothing to do with how the guy smells. Like I said, Tomoko never expresses any interest in how guys smell. What's your point?
I guess you haven't bothered looking at much smell-based porn but most of the time it's one subject who's the source of the odor. For straight porn most often it's either the man OR the woman, but very rarely both.
>>
File deleted.
>>2906897
>Are you saying that it all makes complete sense but you reject it because you don't think the author was smart enough to write it or something?
I didn't say anything about their intelligence, nor do I think there's necessarily any "intelligence" in complexity. It was a simple series, so complexity probably wasn't at play. Even now I have heavy doubts there's THAT much depth, and that's fine. It doesn't have to be complex to be well-written or good.

>Do you think the creators of watamote just... accidentally made a story where anon's character analysis, which is supported through the entire series, could exist?
Don't even get me started. Like, really, don't. Boy oh boy, don't
>>
>>2906889
I can probably guess what Akane is thinking, "Why do both of them talk about her so much?" but would still appreciate knowing what she is actually thinking.
>>
File: 69085421.jpg (402 KB, 849x1200)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
>>2906881
Yes
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=69085421
>>
File: 75260224_p0.jpg (365 KB, 1024x1366)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>
File: closet-lesbian4.jpg (384 KB, 1071x1996)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
>>2906899
>No, it's not really ever necessary to bring sciences into arts. It's almost like that's why they're two entirely separate schools of thought or something
Uhm. Read my posts/go read up on the philosophy of science and the scientific method.

Here, I'll quote it... again.
"Science is not some separate thing from the world, existing it it's own stuffy sphere of people in white coats and test tubes, it's the only method we have of accurately perceiving the world free of human biases and confounding variables. So, if science determines something to be (very probably <p 0.05) true, it accurately describes the world. If people live in the world, they experience it that way, regardless of whether they understand why they do, or have the slightest knowledge of the science behind it."

Science... isn't a separate sphere to anything. It describes the one sphere that encompasses everything.

>>2906897
They seem to have a strong vested interest in not acknowledging one bit of it, but I can't think what it would be, especially since they're on /u/. I thought I was making a pretty good, evidence supported case, touching both on character analysis, and analysis of the creatives working on the characters. With science.
>>
File: 75260093_p2.jpg (623 KB, 1024x1366)
623 KB
623 KB JPG
>>
File: 1560693737501.png (79 KB, 440x265)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
>>2906913
The top right panel is very cute.
>>
File: 75260093_p3.jpg (289 KB, 1024x1366)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>
File: 75260876_p1.jpg (497 KB, 1191x1684)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>
>>2906913
Fiction is not often ruled by science, or written with science in mind. While science applies, it's typically on a basic "intrinsic rules of the universe" level outside of hard science fiction. Fiction is written from the heart and, often whether you like it or not, from society and history, but hardly ever science. Artists, typically people who have a lot of difficulty even understanding scientific concepts, tend to not give any thoughts to science. This is why in literary analysis science can certainly be utilized to analyze something, but so can anything and science is far from the first angle anyone will use.

If you want to read ALMOST anything from ANY text, it is as simple as wanting to do that and making your argument. And although the piece was originally written with a satirical edge, Death of the Author takes this concept to its extreme wherein the text itself, to many a modern academic, can be analyzed and judged exclusively on its own, and authorial intent is a moot point. As an ex-academic, a literary analyst, and a person with opinions it's my opinion that, generally, there's not much worth in reading into something beyond what the author probably intended. Why? Because you can read just about anything if you'd really like, and it's not even difficult.

Not to say your theory is completely, utterly, worthless. No, I honestly think there are aspects of it that were indeed intentional and thus valid. But, a lot is just... like yeah, that could make sense but I doubt very much it was intended, so in the end it doesn't matter. If Nico and Ikko made a bisexual pervert protagonist, then that's what they did and that's fine.
>>
Tomoko's only ever interested in the scent of girls' shampoo and perfume. While she doesn't comment on boys, boys younger than 20 don't tend to don cologne or wear particularly noticeable deodorant or wash with particularly enticing shampoos. On "the natural scent of the human body" she has no opinion, to boys or to girls, but she is concerned about how she smells and in one sexual fantasy imagines she stinks or at least that she's being insulted for smelling bad--which, really, is more about submission/masochism than smells. Basically it feels like the absence of concern over boys' scents isn't necessarily indicative of anything when they don't even have smells she'd readily notice in the first place. Weird as she is, Tomoko isn't really a "smell fetishist"; she thinks girls often smell nice. They do! In particular, I'm not sure this is 100% true, but I'm fairly certain every girl she has noticed for their scent has been a fashionable type who would pay attention to that kind of thing. Around other girls she never mentions scents.
>>
File: closet-lesbian5.jpg (233 KB, 867x1233)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>2906921
>Fiction is not often ruled by science
It's like you're totally missing the point or something... I don't know how many different ways I can say it. I'm just going to have to go full on reduction to absurdity. Do Ikko and Niko inhabit a different universe with completely random physical laws that cannot examined through scientific means? No? Then scientific conclusions must be applicable to their experiences, and therefore to their work!

Here, I'll make a flowchart showing the logic flow for you.

Smell is a big part of human attraction, this has been established in large RCTs to be the case worldwide > Ikko and Niko are human beings and therefore have experience with liking or disliking the smell of other human beings and being attracted by it > Ikko and Niko make Watamote, necessarily drawing on their own experiences, human beings rehash experience to produce pseudo-new ideas, this has also been established scientifically > Tomoko is a their protagonist, and only ever likes the smell of girls, never once likes the smell of a boy

After 15 volumes and 8 years the sample size is pretty big, the chances this is some random coincidence ever slimmer. If it was not a deliberate choice by them, it is very likely they would have slipped up just once, just once had Tomoko think "well that boy smells kinda decent I guess". But nope.

I didn't even notice this pattern until like volume 8. I used to think she was probably bi too. This is not the only reason I changed my mind; also, literally forgetting about guys (it gets pointed out), quitting eroge, the issue of heteronormalisation that Ikko+Niko can only have deliberately included, and the number of times she reads lesbianism into the actions of other girls.
>>
>>2906927
If you're not going to read what I said, why reply?
>While science applies, it's typically on a basic "intrinsic rules of the universe" level outside of hard science fiction. Fiction is written from the heart and, often whether you like it or not, from society and history, but hardly ever science. Artists, typically people who have a lot of difficulty even understanding scientific concepts, tend to not give any thoughts to science. This is why in literary analysis science can certainly be utilized to analyze something, but so can anything and science is far from the first angle anyone will use.
>>
>>2906926
>Tomoko's only ever interested in the scent of girls' shampoo and perfume.
Not stated or implied once.
>On "the natural scent of the human body" she has no opinion
The contrary is heavily implied, for instance, in the panel I just posted with Nemo's sweatshirt. The main smell on that sweatshirt would be Nemo's natural body smell. (Coincidentally, that's how many of the studies on smell + human attraction were done, people smelling the clothes other people had worn for a day beforehand, good way to double blind it, and they didn't have to not wear deodorant/use shampoo... because natural body odour is continually produced.) And Tomoko looks all dazed and aroused. "If I was a guy I'd have a boner."

Also, I don't know about your high school, but I don't remember any girls wearing strong perfume at mine, and I didn't. Probably would have been a good way to get the other girls to call you a slut behind your back. Might have even been against the dress code. And I imagine the Japanese schools are even stricter.

>boys younger than 20 don't tend to don cologne or wear particularly noticeable deodorant
What? Again I don't know about your high school, or well, guys under 20 wherever you're from... but... the overpowering cheap deodorant smell. Lynx and the like. It's awful. Especially when they all come into your classroom after they've had PE, literal hell. It's like having an lesson in the middle of a chemical warfare attack.

>Around other girls she never mentions scents.
Well, aside from the fact everyone is fashionable compared to Tomoko, she does generally mention the good collective smell of girls sitting around her. I posted that panel earlier in the thread too.

>>2906928
>If you're not going to read what I said, why reply?
Yeah, you took the words right out of my mouth. I can't make it any clearer. You'll just have to read a book on it or something.
>>
File: 149.png (65 KB, 386x438)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>2906926
I'm not sure if Kouhai chan after her ping pong match with the notorious emoji 2.0 still smelled like a fahionable girl at all.
>>
File: 056.jpg (478 KB, 900x1350)
478 KB
478 KB JPG
>>2906927
>literally forgetting about guys (it gets pointed out),
She hasn't, and even somewhat recently mentioned getting a boyfriend.
>the issue of heteronormalisation that Ikko+Niko can only have deliberately included,
I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about here, since there's never been any indication of Tomoko thinking about sexual norms and there effect on her or something. I've seen theories about it based on her actions, but if you want to go down that road I've also seen theories about her only even turning to lesbianism potentially out of desperation. And, whether or not I agree with it, you can certainly make the argument (and to be clear, I do not agree with this).
>quitting eroge
We don't know if she's done this, we only know that she doesn't play hardcore porn games. But, she never has.
>the number of times she reads lesbianism into the actions of other girls
The page you posted is actually a really awful example I wouldn't point to even when explaining that Tomoko is bi. The whole point of that chapter was that she was being deluded over anime, again, and reading into interactions as if this was an anime, again. In other words, the entire chapter is a joke. Unsurprisingly outside of this chapter she never brings up thinking other girls are gay aside from Mako. Now, about Mako: she went at Tomoko in an insane, easily misunderstandable way. She cornered a girl in the bathroom, pushed up against her, held her hands, blushed, etc.
>>
File: D9LKWVuU0AA4GZK.jpg (194 KB, 768x1024)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>
>>2906938
>She hasn't, and even somewhat recently mentioned getting a boyfriend.
She didn't talk to a guy all year, only realised at the end of the year. And that was early days for her harem. Already posted the panels. And can we have the context on her mentioning getting a boyfriend?

>I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about here, since there's never been any indication of Tomoko thinking about sexual norms and there effect on her or something.
Uhm? Again, already posted relevant panels.

>We don't know if she's done this
Sure, but there is a stark drop-off in us seeing Tomoko doing it... so...

>The page you posted is actually a really awful example [of reading lesbianism into the actions of other girls]
"Is.. is she also [a lesbian]?" - Contextual, this is after wondering whether Nemo was a lesbian, after the chapstick incident, that you helpfully just psoted.
Uh, yeah, awful example.
>>
File: x2.png (201 KB, 870x1236)
201 KB
201 KB PNG
>>2906935
>What? Again I don't know about your high school, or well, guys under 20 wherever you're from... but... the overpowering cheap deodorant smell. Lynx and the like. It's awful. Especially when they all come into your classroom after they've had PE, literal hell. It's like having an lesson in the middle of a chemical warfare attack.
Axe and the like were certainly popularized in America during a specific period of time, but regardless we're talking about Japan here, and though they have deodorant there's far less concern over boys having some sort of pleasant scent. From my experience, it's not like boys are trying at all over here. Also
>Not stated or implied once.
I'm pretty sure it's a solid implication that "every one of the girls who happens to care about their image also cares about their scent" but sure if you want to dismiss that despite those being the only girls Tomoko comments on, that's your prerogative

>Well, aside from the fact everyone is fashionable compared to Tomoko, she does generally mention the good collective smell of girls sitting around her. I posted that panel earlier in the thread too.
Around fashionable girls, I don't think you should really be dismissing that. Yuri, Komi, Yoshida, Kii, Mako, Akane, Ucchi, she never mentions any of their scents. I think Imae too but I don't remember.
>Yeah, you took the words right out of my mouth. I can't make it any clearer. You'll just have to read a book on it or something.
I guess it's definitely obvious that you aren't familiar with analysis, if you think a solid reasoning for a theory is "research the authors probably don't know of", rather than "common societal perceptions". I'm giving you the time of day, you don't want to hear a second of it

>>2906937
Shampoo usually keeps well even after a workout, but you're right that that could be sweat there and it's worth pointing out.
>>
/watamote general/ - Smell
>>
>>2906946
>Uh, yeah, awful example.
It's a joke. She also thought she had special powers and that she could have a glowing Haruhi inspired afterschool club life. It's a joke at the expense of her misunderstandings and weakens the argument that she considers any of that seriously, especially as it's one off. Better examples are her insistence that she isn't gay, her imagining herself as Yuu's boyfriend, or just generally her unconscious acknowledgement that she's attracted to women. Are you that determined to not hear me out on any point?
>can we have the context on her mentioning getting a boyfriend?
Unfortunately I don't remember where, just that it was at the end of a chapter and that she was thinking about how much her life had changed, and that she just didn't have a boyfriend yet. I remember because it bothered me that she was still on about that.
I'll look though
>>
>>2906953
I'm not looking thoroughly, but at this point I HAVE to imagine my memory confused an earlier chapter for a more recent one. Probably one of those where she's walking home in her second year.

This would make boyfriend applications the last mention, which personally I read as her really saying "fuck it, I'm never getting a boyfriend", but you could read it as a last resort as well.
>>
File: T7.png (221 KB, 870x1236)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>2906953
>>
>>2906960
no wonder I missed it, it was in the middle rather than at the end
c137
>>
Can we please talk about something else, like, maybe less popular ships you for some reason enjoy?

I, for some reason, like AkaneXTomoko ever since the eroge scene, the pervert otaku next to the normal and more innocent girl that knows next to nothing about otaku culture and is always getting bewildered by what Tomoko says or does.
>>
File: D7Ob4sTV4AEryo7.jpg (54 KB, 900x1044)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2906964
Anyone x Tomoko can work
>>
File: closet-lesbian6.jpg (155 KB, 791x748)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>2906947
>Around fashionable girls
Helpful anon that you quote at the end of your posts points out that isn't the case. Also, as I said, everyone featured is fashionable compared to Tomoko, so the qualifier "fashionable" becomes pretty meaningless.

>Shampoo usually keeps well even after a workout
You're so desperate to cling to whatever preconceived notion you have, you're hypothesising whether a tertiary character's shampoo is potent enough to outlast a workout? I thought the whole idea of bringing science/real world evidence into a fictional work was contemptible to you.

> if you think a solid reasoning for a theory is "research the authors probably don't know of"
You really just don't get it... look, I'll use another absurd reduction. Do you need to know how your PC physically works, to be able to use it? No. You live in the world, you're bound by physical laws, you don't have to understand them or know about them...

>>2906953
>Better examples are her insistence that she isn't gay
Go on r/actuallesbians or something, ask how many girls denied their sexuality/fantasied about guys/dated guys/even were married to them before they realised
Also, you remind me of another interesting point, that Ikko+Niko cover same-sex attraction self denial so well it's basically parody. (See image.)

>>2906960
Ah, the last gasp of her boyfriend thoughts, and she isn't remotely bothered by it. "Though, I guess..." Would fit in very well into a sentence like: "Though, I guess I didn't get to eat lunch." "Though, I guess I did forget my umbrella."
>>
>>2906964
I don't think they'd really work as a couple, but if >>2905418 implies a scenario where an older Akane's night out with Asuka and Asuka's girlfriend Tomoko ends in a threesome, I like it.
>>
File: 13.png (3.1 MB, 2024x2866)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB PNG
>>2906964
Yuri x Ucchi is the true matrician ship
>>
>>2906975
that's a blast from the past
>>
>>2906975
if we didnt have "current yuri", i would say this isnt so off character for her
>>
File: 73318042_p6.jpg (355 KB, 1032x1457)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>2906964
I think Mako x Fang is very cute.
>>
I miss the time when long-winded discussions about the value interpreting art through the lenses of lesbianism in a series also involved sharing cute fanart of the best girls...
>>
File: DzXRseNU8AARd-4-orig.jpg (507 KB, 1810x1280)
507 KB
507 KB JPG
>>2907000
Sorry, here's an offering to fix my mistake.
>>
I wonder if Ucchi regrets not spending time with Tomoko on the field trip nowadays, or that she never tried to do anything on the night they spent together, granted, she only started becoming obsessed with Tomoko afterwards, but considering the way she acts these days, i can see her thinking something like "She was offering herself to me and i did nothing, stupid stupid stupid...wait, i don't even care about that gross girl!".
>>
File: D9MaoZiUwAILZKR.jpg (265 KB, 1295x1812)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/sesudou/status/1140284416704409601

Japan really loves distressed/sad Asuka
>>
File: 0046.jpg (295 KB, 1061x1553)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>2907004
And another. I maintain this doujin series is the greatest gift even given to humankind. I get light headed from all the warm feelings from (re)reading it (endlessly).
>>
File: D9LcqAcVUAAX8m_.jpg (134 KB, 648x901)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/nisiki_nekomaru/status/1140216475413651456
>>
File: D9Lcq3PUIAAF0dU.jpg (142 KB, 648x901)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>2907024
>>
File: D9LcrgGVUAA4Rk6.jpg (130 KB, 648x901)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>2907027
>>
You know, despite YuriMoko still being more popular, these threads make me see that KatoMoko really skyrocketed in popularity in Japan, i mean, i am just assuming that has something to do with Asuka and Tomoko.
>>
File: D9LcsFyU8AAZBAY.jpg (57 KB, 648x901)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2907028
SEE?
>>
I posted that when there was only pic yet...oh boy, something else to make me check this board and maybe Danbooru to see if it gets translated!
>>
Every morning there’s several first draft community college dissertations I have to wade through hanging from the corner of the Watamote thread.
>>
File: 12.jpg (286 KB, 820x1120)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
>>2907023
*blocks your path*
>>
File: watamote (6).png (524 KB, 677x900)
524 KB
524 KB PNG
>>2907034
>BUT IS SHE GAY: AN EXAMINATION OF HETRO-NORMATIVE BEHAVIOR AND QUEER-CODED RELATIONSHIPS IN NICO TANIGAWA'S WATAMOTE
>>
>>2907039
If that one ever gets finished, it would certainly earn the silver medal in the YuriMoko doujin competition of the Watamote Olympics.
>>
File: 0041.jpg (468 KB, 990x1511)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
>>2907034
>community college
We don't have community colleges here. I think...? Anyway, I did a little better than that.

>>2907039
Nani? I raise you the following image. So good. Warms my heart.

>>2907041
I thought it was pretty good for back of the envelope stuff.
>>
>>2907041
The initial quote should obviously be "The truth is, I'm a huge pervert".
>>
>>2907091
Tomoko has admitted that to a few girls if i recall correctly, even Miya, Ucchi's friend, thought about that when she wondered what kind of girl she was.

Though that was one of the reasons why she considered she was only interested in knowing what kind of person Tomoko is, she doesn't think she can actually be friends with her.

Hopefully, this time Tomoko won't show her eroge scenes like the last girl that thought that, poor Akane seemed traumatized by that.
>>
File: D9LcqAcVUAAX8m_TL.png (632 KB, 648x901)
632 KB
632 KB PNG
>>2907033

>>2907024

You're in luck thanks to /a/
>>
File: D9Lcq3PUIAAF0dU_TL.png (690 KB, 648x901)
690 KB
690 KB PNG
>>2907027
>>2907167
>>
File: D9LcrgGVUAA4Rk6_tl.png (641 KB, 648x901)
641 KB
641 KB PNG
>>2907168
>>2907028
>>
Blessed A/, huh, so it was more about Katou being worried about her friend, and can Yoshida and Tomoko even send messages, from what i recall, only Mako's message was sent, otherwise, there has been no communication on anyone's part.
>>
File: 68746052_p21.png (550 KB, 842x971)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
>>2907091
ABSTRACT: No matter how I look at it, it's you guys' fault I'm not popular!

INTRODUCTION: What the hell is this?! Do girls normally smell this good?

METHODOLOGY: I wanna grope some tits...

CONCLUSION: The truth is, I'm a huge pervert
>>
File: D9LcsFyU8AAZBAY_TL.png (278 KB, 648x901)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
>>2907030
>>
>>2907183
Okay, I lol'd.
>>
>>2907179
They can't use their phones during the day, but there's nothing stopping them from texting their friends outside of school. We know Tomoko contacted Shizuku to let her know she couldn't eat with her. Since Yuri didn't strangle Shizuku to death after hearing that, Tomoko probably texted her too.
>>
>>2907209
Oh yeah, Shizuku did talk about that, she went to their meeting place since she still promised to be there.

I guess now the fashion is to have Tomoko just forget about Asuka or never tell her anything?
>>
http://watamote.com/internet-radio-show-tanigawa-ikko-appeared-part-2/

Translation of the second part of the interview with Ikko
>Ikko: The artist sometimes says “this character doesn’t say such a word.”

>MP: She says real women don’t talk like that?

>Ikko: That’s right. And I sometimes change the line and sometimes I don’t change.

>MP: But the main character often says dirty words casually. She made her friend wear tight clothes and said “I’m getting really turned on.” I think a real girl doesn’t say such a word. I see. You think Tomoko says those words even if she is a girl.

>Ikko: I wonder. The artist says nothing about dirty jokes. I think she just ignore them.

>MP: I see. But a feminine character, like Katou-san, the artist is likely to care about her words.

>Ikko: That’s right.

I wonder if Nico came with the idea of Katou saying "penis and vagina"
>>
>>2907091
"The truth is, the mojyo girl was gay from the start."
>>
File: 75261099_p0.jpg (1.14 MB, 1432x3516)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Who is the fairest of them all?

>That would of course
>be you, Queen Yuri.

>Mwaah!!

>Do it over.
>Eh? If she had already had her answer from the very start, was there really any point in asking?
>>
>>2907170
Calm the frick down Asuka
>>
File: D8beJvQU8AELuml.jpg (701 KB, 1639x2313)
701 KB
701 KB JPG
>>2907330
Nips love to make her a massive drama queen
>>
>>2907167
>>2907168
>>2907170
Wouldn´t be funny if Asuka´s weakness is that she is too needy and clingy to the point that even Tomoko wouldn´t be able to handle it
>>
>>2907325
Whats the title?
>>
>>2907340
Mirror, mirror.
>>
File: YuriMirror.jpg (1.01 MB, 1432x3516)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>2907361
>>2907325
Thanks
>>
>>
>>2907334
That’s an unexpectedly fitting JoJo reference right there
>>
>>2907334
People love to make her really damn obsessed with Tomoko or just being a big drama queen, at least, from her friend's reaction, it seems like it isn't normal for her.
>>
>>2907392
Didn't they eventually decide that Ucchi just wants to be friends with Tomoko?

Glasses girl(don't think she has been named yet) did think that Ucchi is crushing hard on Tomoko but the others just think she wants to be friends and shows that by abandoning them a lot and being very clingy towards Tomoko as far as they can tell, i guess the girl in the picture also never heard of LGBT or yuri?

I mean, you can't say it's not talked about, i think they were all in the same class during 2nd year and Ogino had a whole class about LGBT because she wanted their students to know about that, and Tomoko gave a clear and precise description of what a lesbian is without saying anything perverted, that was in front of a whole class...i guess they weren't paying attention or just forgot about it?
>>
>>2907475
Making heteronormative assumptions about your closeted friend isn't the same thing as not knowing gay exists
>>
>>2907458
Consider the last few days from her perspective. She gets kinda overbearing trying to whip Tomoko into Aoyama shape, makes a move on her and is disappointed when Tomoko turns her down. However, the next day Tomoko gets her hopes up again by suggesting a more wholesome kind of physical intimacy, which Asuka misinterprets lewdly and they have a nice moment of bonding over accidental sexual harassment. Then a couple of hours later Asuka hears that Tomoko's been suspended, frantically texts her to find out what's going on and gets no reply for at least a day. Somewhere along this, she realizes she outed herself to Fuuka and the others. It's been a rough couple of days for her.

>>2907475
Kayo seems to be the only one who really wants to think Ucchi's just trying to be friends with Tomoko and everyone else would rather just avoid a difficult conversation. Even Kayo probably knows what gay people are, she just can't imagine her friend Ucchi being one of them.
>>
Makes me wonder how Ucchi acted when they started becoming friends that her leaving her friends behind many times, giving chocolates on Valentine's day despite not giving some to everyone and constantly being near another girl strikes her as "Yep, it's Ucchi wanting to be friends alright!", but, like you said, maybe she just doesn't want to think her friend is a lesbian.
Ucchi herself seems to have trouble accepting that, and yeah, everyone else went for "Ucchi must have a crush on Tomoko" and...didn't really care and tried to help Ucchi.
>>
>>2907475
I went over this in another thread, but basically Kayo probably does indeed not think gay people are really a thing due to Japanese assumptions. Like if she even has knowledge of them (she probably does) she doesn't think their legitimate. It's not stupidity, it's not ignorance, it's not hate, it's being an ordinary Japanese person.

Miya seems to be realizing Ucchi is gay, Glasses friend might realize though she DID say she was kidding.
>>
>>2907489
Makes me wonder if Ogino had that class specifically because of this, to tell her students that gay, bi or transgender people are real, legitimate and should be respected, she never comes across as mean, and i think it's the first time i saw a manga having a class just teaching kids about LGBT people.

Now it comes across as Ogino trying to help her students be better people, and, in case one of her students is gay or whatever, teach them than that is alright.

Or that could just be a class that is generally taught in japanese schools and kids don't always listen to, but if that's not the case and it's just Ogino trying to make her students better people while hopefully helping them, then damn, she becomes an even more awesome teacher.

And it does seem like it's not common knowledge, Ucchi was suprised at Tomoko knowing so much about lesbians and took it as a hint that she is a pervert or whatever rather than that just being common knowledge.
>>
>>2907495
>And it does seem like it's not common knowledge
Japan gets the same American shows about gay kids in high school singing clubs as everyone else. Young people in particular know about homosexuality and are overwhelmingly in favor of same-sex marriage (Wikipedia cites a recent poll where it's supported by 87% of people in their 20s). Ucchi's surprised because Tomoko knows what LGBT means, which is presumably not a well-known term.
>>
>>2907495
I can just imagine Ogino explaining what they were gonna talk about in class that day and doing that fear-inspiring wink of hers.
>>
>>2907499
Huh, well, that's good to know.
>>2907500
You just know she winked at some girl or boy that had some doubts and talked to her in private.
>>
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hirasawa_shizuku_oo_style_project
>>
>>2907550
I love how they all convince Shizuku to get back to normal by saying that Tomoko may not like her new look, nothing else needs to be said.
>>
File: D9Qq_toUIAAQ7oT.jpg (579 KB, 1869x1894)
579 KB
579 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/onikorosima/status/1140583903935094784
>>
Is Asuka pregnant in that fan art?
>>
>>2907591
Realistic future of Asuka.
>>
>>2907645
Bearing Tomoko's baby.
>>
>>2907657
I'm 95% sure this is vore and she ate some of the competition
>>
>>2907663
>https://twitter.com/onikorosima/status/1140583903935094784
Well Google Translate and others talk about predation, so it's likely, which i didn't expect, my mind immediately went to Asuka being pregnant, but nope, she ate someone and Tomoko is just by the side being awkward.

Silly me for not immediately thinking of vore.
>>
File: 68950727_p0.png (1005 KB, 1008x1380)
1005 KB
1005 KB PNG
>>
File: 75274108_p0.jpg (748 KB, 878x1071)
748 KB
748 KB JPG
>>
>>2907689
*Drool
>>
>>2906860
Ikko and Niko's relationship seems really charming somehow. It's nice that they've been able to find each other and achieve a decent level of professional success together, despite their personal problems.
>>
>>2907737
What is happening here?

Tomoko doesn't seem that comfortable, so, is this a sleepover, did Ucchi just get in her room, or is this another trip and Ucchi is making up for not doing anything the last time?
>>
>>2907689
Yoshida strikes me as the girl that acts and kida looks like a delinquent but wouldn't go as far as getting tattoos, let alone piercings. At least, Tomoko would've noticed the piercings when she groped her.
>>
>>2907881
TL version
>>
>>2908002
Ucchi has confirmed giant tits — reserved only for Moko
>>
detailed emoji face is really disturbing
>>
>>2907912
Yoshida would have Disney temporary tattoos
>>
File: 2rb4tasjd1531.png (178 KB, 500x715)
178 KB
178 KB PNG
Here are some more
>>
File: 4564l9ewd1531.png (75 KB, 500x677)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>
File: dxcwzw29e1531.png (97 KB, 500x645)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>>
>>2908002
>Giant tits
>Ucchi
Anon please i think theres a mistranslation
>>
>>2908172
Bigger than Tomoko's at least, not that Tomoko cares about the size of her breasts.
>>2908002
So, Tomoko just forgot that in the field trip, Ucchi was quite content to just sleep on her own bed before things got really awkward and it led to a crazy obsession and crush on the part of Ucchi?
>>
File: D9UVHMyUEAAg3hD.jpg (159 KB, 732x1024)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/whistlerx2014/status/1140966314908897281
>>
>>2908139
Adorkable.
>>
>>2908201
Maybe this is A/U fanart of the field trip.
>>
>>2908244
Maybe, i imagine Ucchi at this point, if she thinks about the field trip, regrets not doing anything when Tomoko was clearly offering herself to her(in her mind) and wouldn't mind that happening again.

...Actually, does anyone know if there is any fanfic or fan art of Ucchi going back in time to the field trip night and trying to do more than she did at the first time?

Seems like something that could be fun to read.
>>
>>2908255
There is in fact a pixiv(?) doujinshi of exactly that premise, though I forgot to save the link and never had time to read it myself back when I still had it, so fml.
>>
File: 72444587_p6.jpg (226 KB, 637x900)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=72444587

Huh, what's going on here?
>>
>>2908265
That’s a good question. They shout “fera,” which is slang for fellatio. It might be a double entendre like the chinchin thing with Yoshida (which meant both “shake hands” and “penis”), but I don’t know what else “fera” might mean.
>>
File: D9XDZnFUcAE7_Zw.jpg (227 KB, 1032x1457)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/osumoto1/status/1141032931143479296
>>
>>2908137
Nah it's hot and calming
>>
>>2908233
I really wanna know what her reasoning is
>>
File: D9XITX7UIAAkngI.jpg (138 KB, 768x1024)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/B_106840923/status/1141038321503576065
>>
File: DnOQtP5V4AEjsXv.jpg (139 KB, 575x800)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2908257
This?
https://twitter.com/mikit108/status/1034098885440880640
>>
File: k6yd3kkbybv21.jpg (564 KB, 1240x3229)
564 KB
564 KB JPG
>>2908137
>Emiri = Emily

I never made that connection before. reminds me of when I told my Chinese colleague Recky that I finally realized that her English name is Becky (i was wrong, her english name is Lucky).
>>
>>2908328
Yuri and Fang seem a tad big, and Yoshida and Komi-something seem a tad small.
>>
>>2908343
I think so, yeah, and if it’s on Twitter, that’s probably why I never got around to reading it—I’ve never figured out how to navigate Twitter.
>>
>>2905286

I understand that this is up on danbooru and all, but can someone please upload this somewhere?
>>
>>2908356
I requested it on Dynasty last week but nothing yet. Dunno if there's a big queue or if they didn't like it.
>>
File: D9WY9AxUcAIQtTd.jpg (78 KB, 516x729)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
What's the deal with this tweet?
Is it some sort of convention or fan-project?

https://twitter.com/magarisan/status/1140986657597841409
>>
File: D9Xtr1kUIAAxxau.jpg (273 KB, 726x1032)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/pinpin_hair/status/1141079428342013957
>>
>>2908137
this dojin looks very promising. please notify me when it gets translated.
>>
>>2908343
I really love the wink there, just saying.
>>
>>2908360
Basically a Watamote Only doujin event that's happening at the end of the month.
>>
>>2908343
Can anyone please translate this?

I am incredibly curious as to what is being said here.
>>
>>2908343
>https://twitter.com/mikit108/status/1034098885440880640
Oh God, there is one page where Tomoko is so traumatized she is staring blankly at a wall because of Ucchi, please tell me this is on Danbooru because i can't find it on Dynasty Scans!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.