[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: unnamed.jpg (40 KB, 800x480)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>It's been 4 years since FNAF
>>
good
>>
>that kid who got a whiff of let's player and children money so rehashed his IP into the ground where not even children care about it
>>
>>396819921
>>
I truly believe FNAF was a money laundering scheme for the mob. They funded a cheap “””””””””””game”””””””””” and then bought it for themselves a bunch of Times, making it seem popular and disguising the true purpose behind legitimate sales
>>
File: 1510436553251.png (424 KB, 552x654)
424 KB
424 KB PNG
>>396819921
I liked the inital concept, think it would've been a spooky movie. Although a movie would probably end up with a ton of sequels and slowly become equally awful, similar to how most horror movie series get worse and worse.
>>
>>396821467
The weird thing about FNAF is that it dove straight down into shittiness.
Scott's problem is that he kept going for short term sales boosts, with a series-wide belief that if you can't understand a story, then it's deep.
He really should've tried building a longterm fanbase out of horror fans and people who remember animatronics, like who the first game was targeted at. Instead of going for the ADHD LP and theoryvid autists, who'll move onto the next meme franchise. Because if he didn't, then we'd probably have a more gradual franchise decline with some enjoyable sequels, as opposed to the sharp, unsteady, fall into shit.

For reference, 90% of the characters introduced after the first game are literal recolors of the first game's characters, because autists don't like change.
>>
>>396822462
That's true. I think the main thing that I grew weary of was that all but one of the animatronics were bipedal humans. Would've love to see something like a spider or bird one, something that would just act completely differently would've been nice.

I think it didn't help that he was churning them out so fast either. If he took a little more time to just develop more interesting idea other than DEEPEST LORE and what reskin he was gonna apply this time it could've been a decent series.
>>
>>396819921
>And it's been 2 years since Undertale
>>
>>396821467
>I liked the inital concept, think it would've been a spooky movie.
Is the movie still a thing or has it been cancelled?
>>
>>396823224
I think they own the rights but it's not actively being worked on, as far as I'm aware.

Is owned by the company who did Paranormal Activity, so there's that at least.
>>
>>396819921
honestly feels like the last 2 years just vanished into thin air, maybe it was all the politics shit going on
>>
There's a 6th one coming, isn't there?
>>
>>396825213
Think so? The website image has been changing recently.

Just checked the html or whatever, which normally has little bits of text and all it says now is: 'What is paragraph 4?'
>>
>>396822462
>Scott's problem is that he kept going for short term sales boosts

Well it worked didn't he? He's wealthy now.
>>
>>396819921
>when fan games make the animatronics move

Scott is like Notch. He had an idea but then said: "Fuck it."
>>
>>396819921
Man I do not miss those days. Some of the OC was pretty funny but when it hit the mainstream god damn did it go to shit here
>>
File: 1494078679729.png (78 KB, 280x320)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
>there are """""18""""" year olds on 4chan who are nostalgic for fnaf
>>
>>396825615
Paragraph 4 of what though?
>>
>>396827928
Wait till next update I guess.

As dumb as it is ARGs are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. Just find it really interesting. Too bad barely any of them ever are actually well executed.
>>
I quite liked the first one, it had the whole "do nothing but wait while shitting yourself" thing going pretty well, but the sequels fucked that shit up pretty bad.
>>
File: 1510593934397.jpg (9 KB, 252x250)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>396828662
It's because they kept trying to add to it and spin it in a new style. I really think if it was a standalone title with no sequels it would be still a pretty popular game.

To keep it fresh it could've just done something like DLC with new animatronics. When you keep adding sequels you're dragging the series further and further away from it's original concept, and that's not always a good thing.
>>
>4 years
>>
>>396829764
1 = cool concept
2 = same thing but more stuff. cool I guess
3 = more jumpscares, LORE LORE LORE and less gameplay
4 = WAOH NO CAMERAS, WAOH TURN YOUR VOLUME UP ALL THE WAY TO HEAR THE BREATHING THEN GET SCREAMED AT
sister location = do you like minigames and lore? we got both dude. tension? what's that?
>>
>>396828336
In your opinion which was the best?
>>
>>396830247
Exactly. Before the sequels and lore bullshit it was just a pretty spooky game with some cool little easter eggs hidden giving some backstory. The bite of '87 stuff could've been added in DLC which expands the 1st game and adds new enemies. We didn't need this confusing timeline and multiple incidents. The series literally became the videogame equivalent of the SAW series, and FNAF6 will be the JIGSAW equivalent.

>>396830334
Probably 1 as it was just simple and genuinely spooky. Learning to deal with Foxy while managing the more normal animatronics was great. 2 was decent enough as well, although it wasn't as spooky. They did keep the tension up with the addition of the puppet though. Everything afterwards was mediocre at best.
>>
>>396830247
Sister location has more tension than any of the other games.
>>
>>396819921
Thank god the worst fanbase ever disappears.
>>
>>396831084
boring sections of nothing is not tension
>>
>>396831285
Okay then your problem lies with the franchise as a whole because the entire fnaf 1 is just a big boring section of nothing. What does that game do to build tension that SL doesn't?
>>
>>396831248
>what is undertale
>>
>>396819921
4 years of fnaf rule 34
>>
>>396831551
FNAF 1 builds tension by having an actual threat roaming about with very little player feedback to predict it or know where it is or what it's doing, whilst doing nothing, rather than literally an interactive cutscene.
average FNAF SA night:
>get in
>listen to boring exposition
>crawl through a vent or some dumb shit with no threat of danger
>MINIGAME TIME, ie the only time when danger is present or there is any fear of getting spooked
>win the minigame
>more boring exposition

fun fact, most VNs have an interesting story, rather than dogshit lore dripfed via boring lengths of slowly spoken robot dialogue.
>>
>>396831970
What's a good horror VN? Only ones I've played are Corpse Party and Danganronpa.
>>
>the story is literally so shit that the creator had to explain it on a game theory video
Can't make this shit up
>>
>>396831970
>Get in
>Listen to boring exposition
>Minigame Time
>Win the minigame
>Boring exposition

How do you not realize you are literally describing any FNAF night in any of the games? Are you stupid?
The only difference between sl and the others is that SL has variety in the minigames each night.
>>
>>396832176
saya no uta, if you don't mind lolis.

doki doki literature club if you're a normie
>>
>>396832176
Try 999/VLR if you haven't. Also Saya no Uta, but it's very short, like 6-7 hours max.
>>
>>396819921
>I still can’t make a game
How cheap are guns
>>
>>396820297
what
>>
>>396832518
Oh shit, yeah 999. I began it and was quite enjoying it, will definitely pick it back up. Will check Saya No Uta also, have a lot of free reading time right now.

>>396832448
What's with all the hype regarding DDLC? Is it just cute girls in awful situations and that's why it's popular or what?
>>
>>396832406
FNAF 1 has no lore, besides that on the newspaper cuttings and the phone calls, the cuttings being a loading screen and the phone calls being events happening in real time while you actually play a game. The difference is that all of the elements listed are happening all at once. You can ignore the phone calls if you like and just play a spoopy game, or you can sperg out and try and work it all out. You have the choice. In SL you have to listen to boring shit and then play a flash game on par with some shitty newgrounds "horror" game while balora tells you "press b to jump".
I cannot understand why you're defending a piece of shit like SL
>>
>>396831970
>average FNAF SA night
>FNAF SA
>>
>>396832762
DDLC is hyped because it's marketed as a dumb dating game, where the reality is that it ends up being a 4th wall breaking glitchy horror game. It's free and like 4 hours long, so give it a try.
>>
>>396832782
Literally the amount of lore has no effect on tension dumbshit. FNAF 1 isn't a better game because it gives you an option to skip phoneguys never ending calls
>>
>>396832897
Nothing kills tension faster than exposition, and SL is literally exposition for the lorefags, like you apparently.
Also
>variety in the minigames
did you enjoy rayman raving rabbids by any chance?
>>
>>396832651
>>396820297
Translation: The developer (Scott Cawthon) ran his franchise into the ground with unnecessary sequels because money and now no-one likes FNAF.
>>
>>396820576
That would be the most convoluted money laundering scheme ever. Why make a game that does have some effort behind it, instead of just making something like NotGTAV?
>>
>>396832790
I'm surprised I haven't seen any FNAF skins in SA yet.
>>
>>396833103
This. Rayman Raving Rabbids would have been a better game if instead of being a compilation of shitty minigames, it was all just the same shitty minigame 5 times.
>>
>>396833157
>NotGTAV
>Saints Row
stay woke goys
>>
File: NOTGTAV.png (791 KB, 1024x600)
791 KB
791 KB PNG
>>396833280
No, NotGTAV is an actual game on steam. It's a snake clone.
>>
>>396833270
And if it removed any amount of story to build tension.
>>
Sister Location didn’t know when to shut the fuck up, and was schizophrenic in both gameplay and storytelling. Scott didn’t know if Baby was a villain or a misunderstood dindu. Scott puts in random difficulty spikes that have clearly never been playtested. And the dialogue is fucking terrible.
>>
What do you think of Matpat's new theory?
>>
>>396819921

And we still don't know what the hell is going on.
>>
>>396819921
It's literally a great game, it cause a great revolution on video games history
>>
File: souldozer.jpg (174 KB, 800x600)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
I don't care if the FNAF series was an inconsequential, frivolous cash-in. Scott Cawthon is such a talented 3D artist I think he completely deserved the runaway success and acclaim, temporary as it was. Unfortunately I don't think his legacy is that of his creative prowess but I hope the money he made carries him and his family for a long time.
>>
>>396838093
everybody says he's a "talented" 3d artist, but I can't help but think all his stuff looks shit, mostly like pic related: big shiny smooth hunks of spiky drills and metallic mouths.
>>
File: Mirad.jpg (1.02 MB, 1920x1080)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>396838496

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
>>
>>396838587
you got me, that's actually pretty awesome. Shame most of his stuff is too much like fnaf for my tastes
>>
>>396838587
Ilove how it has a human form/ shape, but at the same time it doesn't. Like you can make out what appears to be a chest and abdomen area with arms, but looking at the whole structure it looks more spider like with multiple arms and this large ring below it.

Would actually love to see some of these designs in a different horror game other than FNAF.
>>
>>396838741
Sister Location is pretty good at finding a nice in-between imo
>>
>>396840379
That's actually not FNAF. That's his game that came before it, The Desolate Hope.
Imo it's pretty crummy, but has fantastic combat mechanics and visuals if you can get past the garbage platforming gameplay.

He's expressed interest in returning to the series eventually. Hopefully he makes a sequel with all of the experience he now has from developing fnaf
>>
>>396819921
Can you give me the list of franchises with the cringiest fanbases ever?
>>
>>396832651
his games are pure let's play bait
>>
>>396840737
Yeah I'm aware it's not FNAF. I do want to play Desolate Hope but after looking at videos on youtube it looks like a complete eye sore, with the exception of the character designs.

It'd be cool to see Scott design characters for a more open horror game, where you have to fight/ actively run away from these creatures.

Would also love to see him design something especially gory, a la Shunji Ito style.
>>
>>396820576
You are fucking retarded. The mob is behind asset flipping, not FNAFs lightning in a bottle. I feel bad for Scott but he's also super rich now so he needs to stop crying
>>
>>396842797
Junji Ito doesn’t do much gore, he’s more focused on weird shit. Which is still something Scott should try, his designs are too tame for the most part.
He did do Springtrap, though, which is fairly gory. I’d like to see him tackle more cybernetic body horror. Like how Frankenstein’s Army did it.
>>
>>396825721
Didn't he give most of his money to his church?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.