[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: gw2-logo.a9bed23d.jpg (19 KB, 290x200)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>buy the game
>buy the expansions
>still have to pay to unlock Gardening/Harvesting

This is literally a korean MMO
>>
>>403407594
>buy the game
the game is free anon
>>
>>403407940
I bought it when it came out
>>
I hate how ArenaNet tried to do everything differently from WoW just to be different, creating a million new problems in the process. I tried to like it, but there's not much to like in the game.
>>
>>403407594
the gardening plot is shit anyway, doesn't let you plant anything you want (like flax, jungle plants, or plants used in top food crafting), just the preapproved veggies and flowers from their list

only good reason to get it is you can unlock recipes for 2 hour food/utility buff extenders after completing a collection
>>
>>403407594
But gardening is literally just harvesting the same nodes (out of a restricted list) that are out in the open world. You can get some unique shit out of it but you can get unique shit out of the rest of the cash shop. The sadder thing is that now there'll definitely not be a more comprehensive gardening feature.

>>403408092
To be fair, they moved away from directly competing with the MMO market and scaled down. It has more in common with games like Destiny and The Division at this point. Except what Bungie asks money for ArenaNet hands out for free so long as you remember to log in during the patch. Just remember to buy mount skin lootboxes goy.
>>
A few years ago I played the game up to the level cap back then.

It was k I guess, but once I made it to that, I saw no reason to do anything else.

I remember selling one item that got me a lot of gold, was it some cash shop Item I lucked into getting, I dont remember, what I know is that I just bought a ton of ores and crafted myself up a few levels. I dont remember if I started gathering the stuff to get that first level cap equipment you can craft, some dragon armor thing, but I am sure I never got to make it because I left the game.

I was a warrior/fighter or something like that, dont recall how it was called.
>>
>>403407594
You're being deliberately obtuse and spreading bullshit. The gardening plot is just a fancy home instance mining node we've had forever.
>>
>>403407594
SJW: the mmo
>>
>>403410427
I felt the same way about the game. I hit level cap, ran few fractals, some world bosses, some wvw and got bored.
>>
File: 1515574797257.png (22 KB, 240x240)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>403407594
i hate the game too but your reason is literally fabricated
>>
File: 1515873976707.png (120 KB, 261x363)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>403408569
>Make initially nice-looking mounts
>Release shitty tacky skins through gacha
I don't even know what you could actually get in the cash shop that you really need outside living story packs you missed. I'd say transmog tokens but you could farm those easily in PvP.
>>
>>403410647
they tuned that down when that horrid fat bitch writer left. it is too late to save the story from her though
>>
>>403410647
The worst offenders are long gone. Angel McCoy is gone.
>>
>>403410752

I dont think I even did the Fractals (dungeons?) at level cap. I did a few world bosses but those were as I leveled up, never got into the PvPing though.

I went to an island that has way stronger monsters than the level cap lets you kill, but you can start going to it just at the Level Cap. Someone told me to go there to gather some bloods I needed to start the armor. When I figured it would be weeks of getting killed and slowly grinding one monster at a time, I said fuck it and left.

I still wanna play an MMO, but I dunno about GW2.

Maybe Terra has gotten more interesting? Its probably still a shit ton of grinding though...
>>
This game became okay when they ditched dungeons and added raids
>>
>>403410996
You have to admit Rytlock and Canach are pretty good, but the story itself feels off.
>>
Who was this Angel McCoy?

Another Hamburgler Helper?
>>
File: excalibur.png (135 KB, 680x750)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>no trinity, every class is an absolute hybrid mess
>damage sponge enemies (dude raids lmao)
>OHK out the ass on bosses
>barely any build variety
>shit story

Why did it have to go so wrong?
>>
>>403410996
>>403411021
Can I get a quick rundown on Path of Fire plot and next living story? I assume we kill Balthazar at the end?
>>
>>403411254
She's responsible for the Sylvari becoming such a cringefest race when the original idea behind them was pretty based.
>>
>>403411312
Was there really a trinity in GW1 though?
>>
>>403411329
Yeah we kill Balthazar. Only the first chapter of the new Living Story is out so far but basically Joko is pissed that we used his army to fight Balthazar and considers our presence in Elona as an attack on his empire so he's invading Tyria proper.
>>
>>403411337

Oh god, am I remembering wrong in thinking... those had some weird sexual SJW retardation vibe to them?
>>
>>403411468
Yeah, you can still see it a lot in The Grove and surrounding areas from the base game but a lot of that has gone away. Canach is pretty much saving that race by himself as a character.
>>
>>403411443
So who became the new god? Did we get Kormir'd again?
>>
>>403411329
>balthazar was left in the mists by the other gods due to he wanted to kill the elder dragons
>killing the dragons cause an unbalance in the magical flow - the energy they release when they die need to go somewhere
>balthazar is set free by rytlock in the mists as he tries to find his sword
>skip forward to the end of PoF
>balthazar is fighting the elder dragon kralkatorrik
>we kill balthazar
>due to the ammount of magic the fallen god of balthazar has absorbed he explodes
>kralkatorrik eats it all up and goes rampage with all the new magical energy
>palawa joko hates you and start attacking tyria with his armies
>>
File: angel mchamburger.jpg (18 KB, 250x375)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>403410996
>Be McHamburger, talentless ugly sow with no talent and a steampunk fetish
>Get rejected by every single publisher for your garbage novel idea
>Look into video games instead because the bar is much lower for writing
>Join ArenaNet and hrow out as much old lore as you can, insert your shitty race of faggot salad monsters and basically make them the protagonists of the story
>Paste your steampunk fetish all over the Charr
>Have Super Salad steal the player's story from them
>Later insert a faggot mary sue salad which is literally a self insert and everyone keeps talking about how great she is
>Create Diversity's Edge and completely shit up an entire three seasons of Living World

It's hard to separate her from the game as a whole because so much is the direct result of her smearing her greasy shit covered hands all over the game.
>>
File: Kormir.jpg (50 KB, 594x281)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>
>>403411572
No one. Balthazar's goal in Elona was to kill Kralkatorrik and take his power. Balthazar was pretty much kicked out of the pantheon by the other Gods and was using borrowed power. During the Balthazar fight Kralkatorrik was there as well and when he died Kralk ate the released magic as Dragons tend to do.

Now he's boosted and pissed because he was nearly killed by Balthazar. That's another issue we have to deal with now.
>>
>>403411753
This is a better rundown than my lazy effort.
>>
>>403411329

PoF:

>chase Balthazar
>get killed by Balthazar
>get resurrected
>bait Joko's generals into showing up by staging a fake Sunspear rebellion
>kill one of Joko's top dogs and impersonate him with Kasmeer's illusions
>raid the Kodash Bazaar
>Balthazar about to kill Kralkatorrik
>kill Balthazar and Kralkatorrik gets his energy

LS4:

>Kralkatorrik launches raid on Amnoon
>kill his forces
>get a lead on Fahranur from a vision Aurene gave you
>get in contact with the Sunspear remnants
>find a bunch of Asura tech in Fahranur that's used to teleport awakened into Tyria

>>403411405

Yeah. Monks, Ritualists and Necros could be full-time healers.

They tried to fix the no-trinity thing by introducing Druid, but it was far too late.
>>
>>403411753
Why would the characters want to kill Balthazar? Surely the dragons are a bigger danger?
>>
>>403407594
>NCSOFT game is a korean MMO
What's next, water being wet?
>>
>>403411816
The story is slowly recovering from her shitstorm but there is a lot of it to clean up.
>>
>>403412001

Every time a dragon dies, the others eat its energy and become too strong to handle.
>>
>>403412001
Balthazar was super pissed because the other Gods Abaddon'd him. He was stripped of his power and was going after Dragons to restore himself with their magic. The problem is that killing Dragons turns out to be a bad thing without anything to take their place since they serve a purpose keeping magic in check on Tyria.

In a sense we have to protect Kralkatorrik from Balthazar so the world doesn't explode.
>>
>>403412001
The story now is that dragons have to exist because they basically act like gigantic magic vacuums and killing them is actually a bad idea.
>>
Thanks for the rundowns, is the little mary sue rat girl deus ex machina still alive though?
>>
>>403412001
At this point in the story, the Commander and their posse have basically come to the conclusion that killing any more Elder Dragons will lead to the magical Armageddon of Tyria due to every kill releasing immense amounts of magic back into the world without anything to properly contain and maintain it.

That's why Balthazar is a threat- technically he's only acting out of selfishness due to his lust for power, but because his actions will indirectly lead, the Commander needed to confront him.
>>
>>403412001
if anyone kill one more dragon the energy they release will work as a nuke - wiping the whole continent. And balthazar want to kill these dragons so he could harvest some of the magic, become the strongest god and enslave anyone who is against him.
>>
>>403412241
Yeah but she may have been put in check a bit with the latest living story, we'll have to see. She got wrecked pretty hard.
>>
>>403412207
Of course we're only protecting the Elder Dragons until we figure out a way to replace them in this system of magic with something that channels and circulates magic, rather than constantly consuming it
>>
File: posters.jpg (2.72 MB, 3264x2448)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
r8 m8
>>
>>403407594
That's a insult for Korean MMO's.
>>
My only real complaint with the current story is that Primordus and Jormag were put back to sleep and it's uncertain what will be done with them if anything... they were the Dragons I was most interested in personally.
>>
>>403412424
Excellent.
>>
>>403413415
>Still no word about that deep sea dragon

It would be cool as fuck to go into the ocean and fight deep sea dragon minions. They would have to revamp the dog shit underwater combat first, though.
>>
>>403413646
I hope he's some kinda Eldritch horror Cthulu looking thing. It's pretty clear at this point he's going to be saved for last or he'll be an eternal mystery like that fucking floating castle
>>
>>403413871
Just wait for GW tres.
>>
The lore of this game is such a rape and disgrace of the great story of GW1. You can really tell how it's a bunch of hacks trying to ride on the last breaths of an actually good game made by people with real talent.
>>
>>403414009
They are doing much, much better lately with Living World 3, Path of Fire and so far with this new Living World. They fixed a lot.
>>
>>403413871
He's probably better off being a vague blob of nothing, to be honest. Despite the enormous potential of their ideas, ArenaNet always manages to deliver it in the least satisfying way possible. His minions would probably just be some Quaggans with sharp teeth or some boring shit like that.
>>
just play gw1
>>
>>403414545
A person who likes GW2 probably won't like the original and vice versa. The games are so completely different from one another that some people would have a hard time believing they're from the same series.
>>
>>403414152
I appreciate your reply but can tell you never played GW1 or cared about its story.
>>
>>403414947
I played GW1 since the original Beta Weekend Events fella, I know about GW1 and its story. Compared to the shitshow of Core story they ARE doing much better with lore and things of that nature. Also can we please stop this meme that the GW1 story was a masterpiece? It wasn't. The lore was fantastic but the story was not.
>>
>>403413646

It would be cool if they could create good underwater Largos cities. They just shoved that race in our faces and then completely ditched them.
>>
Balthy didn't curse Lyssa at the end.

We know 2 Humans who are very powerful Mesmers. And both of them are female.
>>
>>403414009
>the great story of GW1
Lore is good and GW2 hasn't changed that, what was added to it with the movement of the world is all good.
But the story? Come on, the writing of the main story of GW1 and its campaigns was awful.
>>
File: gw017.jpg (716 KB, 1904x1042)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
Played this since beta but after PoF I just couldn't anymore. The artstyle was gone, the story was irredeemable garbage and the retcons just kept coming, the gemstore grew bigger and more central by the week while ANet's greedy schemes only got nastier, open world PvE was watered down to casual sightseeing and couldn't raid because all my builds got nerfed to hell. I realized I stopped having fun with it way back in like 2014, no idea how I stayed around for so longer after that.

At least the original is still around, though I have a bad feeling neo-ANet's gonna lay their foul hands on it sooner rather than later.
>>
>>403415701
>Lore is good and GW2 hasn't changed that, what was added to it with the movement of the world is all good
>Angel McHamburger's lore playground for plant sodomites
>Good

I don't disagree about GW1's writing though. It was plain and it had a few standout moments.
>>
>>403415912
>art style was gone
It's unironically mostly direct improvement from GW1's look.
>>
>>403415912
GW2 has a pretty good artstyle of its own though but that's subjective.
>the gemstore grew more central
Central to what? Everything there is still cosmetic and quality of life items haven't changed in years. There's more to buy if you want but still nothing you need.
>open world PvE was watered down
Open World PvE was always casual.
>can't raid because my builds were nerfed
What builds? The base raid comp hasn't changed for a long time either. Power Warrior is the biggest victim here so if you were that then it makes sense.
>>
>>403415971
It was Ree Soesbee who wrote the Sylvari.
http://web.archive.org/web/20071011001629/http://www.pcgamer.com/archives/2007/09/92407_-_ultimat.html
>>
>Killing best god
Fuck Nuarenanet
>>
gw1 is objectivelly a better game, that is a fact and that is final
>>
>>403416293
Angel was Narrative designer, she injected her bullshit fan fiction into the Sylvari and ruined them basically.

I was actually pretty hyped for what they would be when the pale tree sprouted in GW1.
>>
>>403416293
Doesn't matter who wrote them first, Angel's writing still made them unbearable.
>>
File: sadpenguin.jpg (5 KB, 212x249)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>get 2-week Chadlock Sanctuary pass in birthday present
>runs out today
>have to return to the Virgin of the Elon soon
>>
>5 year old game
>still no player housing
No home instances arent player housing. Theyre just instances full of random npcs that you only ever went to, to do story missions pre 80 and do daily node runs if you even bothered doing the effort to get any nodes.
>>
>>403416543
Mistlock Sanctuary is unironically the second best thing on the Gem Store. The first is the Copper Fed Salvage-o-Matic of course. Really all you need.
>>
File: 9Dh3491.jpg (402 KB, 1920x1080)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
>>403416216
>>403416240
By artstyle I mean how shit like pic related is now the norm and encouraged by increasingly flashy and obnoxious gemstore skins. Immersive design has completely died. It doesn't feel like the high fantasy setting it was back in GW1 and vanilla GW2 (well parts of it, scifi Asura has never been good) at all anymore.
>Central to what? Everything there is still cosmetic
And cosmetics are a large part of the endgame. The game started to feel like you just find the most effective mindless way to grind for gold so you can buy what you want with gems instead of say, doing dungeons or metas for unique drops or whatever. But they've started adding more and more non-cosmetic shit in there too, like the gardening garbage just now for example.
>Open World PvE was always casual.
HoT metas were fun, even years later, and most importantly required an entire mass of players to cooperate (even if they were kind of easy if commanders knew their shit), and the complex map design made it amazing to explore with lots of hidden nooks and events. PoF had absolutely nothing like that because casuals bitched about meta timers and Tangled Depths being too hard. While we're at it, map metas gave each map a sort of narrative reason for existing and motivation to do the event chains. In PoF it's right back to Queensdale-tier "feed my chickens!" no-context nonsense.
>Power Warrior is the biggest victim here so if you were that then it makes sense.
Yeah I mained power Warrior. I really don't like the flavor or weapons of condi builds (on any class really, but especially on war), which is what ANet wanted me to play.
>>
>>403418228
I can't really disagree with you on the flashy Korean-tier bullshit invading the game but honestly I expect that from my MMO nowadays so it wasn't shocking to me. I was mostly referring to the environments in GW2, they are still top-tier in my opinion.

They do focus on the gem store a little too much for my liking but they are trying to find some balance with armor skins at least. Mounts are main offenders, literally zero skins to earn in-game yet and that's a big problem.

You do have a good point about metas. In Path of Fire they seemed to try and find a balance between what casuals wanted and metas by having various "mini-metas" which didn't really work out. They are trying to fix that with Istan and living story it seems since Istan is pretty much a meta map akin to HoT's style.

It's a damn travesty what they did to Power Warrior, it makes no sense to me.
>>
>>403415078
Oh so you just have bad taste
>>
>>403420345
>I can enjoy both games for what they are and understand that Anet is doing much better when dealing with Lore since LWS3 and Path of Fire
>bad taste
You got me.
>>
File: starless for switch.jpg (406 KB, 1265x2048)
406 KB
406 KB JPG
>>403408092
This.
GW2 does some amazing things for people who like a streamlined MMO system (even though it also departs from GW1 a ton).
I like the limited slots in combat, the idea that each class can perform the same core party roles but in different ways, more action-oriented combat, etc.

But its foundation was flawed, it left some basic questions unanswered and they never properly adjusted the game to compensate or fill in the weaknesses in its foundation.

Here's a good example: for people who like fashion in the game, they've basically stopped selling cosmetics as single pieces and shifted to an entirely new system where they sell you full armor sets that can't be customized.

For the new Mastery system they introduced in Heart of Thorns, basically most of the basic features of cities were locked off and tons of the masteries were useless, like some of the Exalted ones and such. They never balanced or fixed those, they just left them and decided to do only movement masteries in Path of Fire (they're pretty fun though).

The biggest issue for me is with combat still: Anet clearly has no idea what the party roles for this game are or what each profession's core "philosophy" towards combat ought to be. As a result, the Elite Specs end up sometimes being great additions that change up the way a class feels, but stuff like Mirage or Daredevil requires them to nerf some aspect of the core class just to repackage it as part of the expansion. HEnce, the combat and elite specs end up just being whatever they think is cool rather than additions to some larger structure of the PRofessions
>>
>gamble like once a day at casino in desert
>have gone from 200g to over 2k gold
why even play the game
>>
>>403424132
new to path of fire here.
what casino?
>>
>>403424132
Path of Fire is pretty great desu.
It felt like a solid course correct but it would have been nice to get a Dragons STand-level Meta for the final map.
That would be the idea structure for GW2 Expacs: 3 standard maps with hearts, mini-games and town hubs for bounties and shit, and a final map for Meta grinding
>>
>>403424557
In the first big town, there's a casino where you can trade in Ectoplasm I think for trading cards which you can sell back for ectoplasm.

the buy-in to mitigate risk and consistently raise your capital is sort of high though
>>
File: asd.jpg (204 KB, 482x748)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
Got a total makeover kit. Checked the exclusive styles and started experimenting. I really can't tell if this is terrible or amazing.
>>
File: gw298.jpg (1.3 MB, 2560x1440)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>403424557
in amnoon
surprised this is even worthwhile, it's based on RNG and you look at the drop rates on the wiki but I've literally never lost
>>
>>403425161
that looks kinda nice, just the eye color looks bad
>>
>>403424613
LS4's first update, Istan, apparently has a similar meta event structure? I haven't done it yet, just hearsay.
>>
>>403426550
Yes, shame people are so much better now than early-HoT, it doesn't take long for them to pick up the strats and organize flawless farm runs now.
They really should start experimenting with some raid tier meta events, stuff that will kick your ass until you fully master it.
>>
>>403411312
the game isnt like that at all anymore

I agree with everything you said back in pre-HoT, quit really early on

came back recently after PoF release, game definitely feels much better now but still has a few lasting problems, mainly fractals being absolutely fucking awful and I still refuse to run them even if it means a free 50g a day
>>
Post femsura sluts that love the big bookah cock!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.