[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: bundle_gray_box[1].jpg (34 KB, 554x369)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Is a switch worth it?

Is it also worth it to buy now so that you have a system with an exploit available? What can I do with a "hacked" switch?
>>
Just for clarification if I can run emulators on the switch and still play switch games online and the like with no problems it's probably an insta buy, yet it seems like that isn't the case.
>>
honestly probably not especially if you're a wii u owner
mario odyssey and mario xcom are good but not that good
>>
>>423899083
I'm not a Wiiu owner, I don't even have a wii.

Honestly I played mario kart 8 deluxe at a friends house and had so much fun that I've been thinking about buying a switch. I hadn't expected it, BUT i'm unsure on how many games I'm interested in. Definitely smash and mario kart, but if I can emulate on it it eliminates that issue.
>>
Splatoon 2, BotW, Odyssey and Mario Tennis are all pretty fucking good. Octopath Traveler is also coming out today.
>>
>>423898990
Nobody knows how and to what extent Nintendo can ban people yet.

Some people are getting banned. Others aren't.
>>
>>423898971
Wanna buy one so bad but, poorfag and its 500 doubloons in my country
>>
>>423899389
Splatoon 2 doesn't really appeal to me. Watched a review and it just looks super boring. Octopath traveler looks like a GBA game that's super overpriced for what it is.
>>
>>423899453
videogames aren't aimed at you
>>
>>423899452
But would I get banned just for playing emus or running custom apps or software? I don't care as much about pirating switch games since theres only a handful I'm interested in and I can just buy them.

Don't get me wrong, would still be nice, but that's not the end of the world.

I'm a sole pc user at the moment and a switch running emus would be the only console I'm interested in.
>>
>>423899535
If the emulators/homebrews crash and give an error code Nintendo can ban you for it.

It's not common but apparently it has happened. I used to play Duke 3D and Doom homebrew before piracy went live and they would crash all the fucking time with error codes and I haven't played them since hearing it's bannable.

Though im not really sure you might wanna ask someone on gbatemp or /hbg/ over on /vg/ for more accurate info
>>
Nintendo already started to replace the old models that you can hack with new ones that have the hardware exploit fixed.
>>
>>423899756
Dear fucking god why can't we just own hardware we buy?

The switch is literally a perfect tablet and mobile game system, hell even console, and Nintendo just has to fuck it up.

Now I'm seeing apparently Switches are in the wild which attempt to fix the exploit altogether.

Guess nintenjew doesn't want my money.
>>
File: 1474939571514.gif (1.9 MB, 500x280)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB GIF
>>423899883
Yeah I just saw this.

Honestly I'm pissed off. Now if I buy I will have a small chance of getting one with the exploit fixed, and then also buying before the rumored hardware upgrade of a newer SOC and more RAM.

Really really wanted to buy a switch but whatever if Nintendo wants to be like that I might just suffer without any more mario kart.
>>
>>423898971
I don't think its worth it. Unless a big portion of your friends have one, you are pretty much destined to play every time with noobs you have to be handicaped with. Nintendo machines are never meant to be played online seriously.
So you analize the situation you are in and decide.
>>
>>423899923
You own the hardware. You can do whatever you want with your system and Nintendo can't stop you. The only thing they can do is block you from their online service, but then we aren't talking about hardware anymore.
>>
>>423899923
You do own the hardware. All they can do is ban you from their online service.
>>
>>423898971
Is a Switch worth it if I want Fire Emblem warriors and Three houses, Octopath Traveler, Bayonetta 1+2, The World Ends With You and Eventually SMTV? Are these good games to get into the console or in general?
>>
>>423898971
>Full disclosure, I have Switch, Xbone and breddy good PC
Consoles are for exclusives. Anything else besides that, a PC can do the job better.
PS4 has way more exclusives than the Switch because its been out for nearly 5 years to the Switch's less than 1 and a half years. And The PS4 exclusives shit all over the Xbone. I now regret getting the Xbone in 2015 instead of a PS4. I haven't even used my Xbox since September last year when I got my PC.
Having said that, when it comes down to Switch vs PS4 exclusives my personal preferences go with Nintendo.
PS4 exclusives always look better than the other two but one of the reasons I nearly gave up on gaming altogether (well, I actually did for a long time) was shit like quick time events and games that don't even feel like games. You know what I'm gonna say, the interactive movie meme. Some people are fine with it but I'd rather actual gameplay, just my preference.
Watch some let's plays on youtube of exclusives on all three, see which ones look like your cup of tea (maybe you prefer graphics over gameplay or a particular franchise is nearer and dearer to your heart).
As for the question, is it worth it? That depends on the individual and all the things above taken into account. Anyone saying yes or no in this thread is probably just console warring.
>>
>>423899923
>>423899995
>WHY DOESN'T NINTENDO JUST KEEP A MASSIVE VULNERABILITY IN THEIR SYSTEM AND LET PIRACY RUN RAMPANT ON THEIR SYSTEM AND HAVE THEIR PAID ONLINE RIDDLED WITH HACKERS FUUUUUCK THOSE JEWS
Nice thread retard.
>>
>>423899995
>Small chance
>20 million exploitable Vs 1-3 million units unexploitsble

If you buy pre-owned there's a 100% of a hackable unit
>>
File: 1523632827674.gif (243 KB, 500x281)
243 KB
243 KB GIF
>>423900263
>>
just wait until their shit is going to be emulatable
like, less than 1 year
>>
>>423900195
>>423900195

You know exactly what I meant. If you buy the device expecting to use it's functions and then they bar you from said function because you install something on the device they don't like that is preventing you from using the device due to you just using the hardware you see fit.
>>
>>423900263
>wahh muh piracy

want me to post the EU study you little corporate cock sucking faggot? This isn't even about piracy, what if you want to do literally anything else with your switch? Emulators, homebrew, youtube etc.?

Fucking kill yourself nu/v/ corporate cuck

>>423900274
Wasn't going to buy pre owned but if I decide an exploitable system is worth it I might, but after seeing what people are saying about how Nintendo handles homebrew and the like I might not even do that.
>>
>>423900263
>>423900326
Based good boys earning them points for chicken tendies. Fuck these poorfag pirates. If you can't pay for it go play marbles or something you can afford you 19th century chimney sweeps.
>>
>>423898971
>What can I do with a "hacked" switch
Play downgraded Wii U ports and indie trash.
>>
>>423898971

$300 for a 4 year old shitty fisher price tablet with otudated specs. It's meant for kids ages 7-14. The fact that you posted on /v/ means it is NOT for you unless you still live in your moms basement.
>>
>>423898971
PS4 Pro, 1080ti, and Switch user here. I have an OG Xbone but it doesn't do much anymore.

The Switch is a fantastic system. Do not listen to the imbeciles on /v/ on this one. It feels great to play, the software is fucking superb, indies are great fun - and it's been a quiet year, but there's still good stuff on the horizon. Octopath tomorrow, and whatever comes out of Directs.

I was never a huge Nintendo guy. I was more into 8 bit computers as a kid. But, the Switch has me sold.
>>
File: 1447994065751.png (221 KB, 624x318)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>423900507
>pointing out how retarded it is to expect a company to not patch out vulnerabilities is shilling
Okay faggot enjoy talking with yourself about how the 'Shitch' is an indie port onions machine or whatever for 400 posts in these 24/7 /ninhate/ threads.
>>
>>423900246
I also have a PS4, Xbox One and PC and not a Switch YET. I also rarely use my Xbox One and I got it first this gen in 2014 then got a PS4 in 2015 and didnt use it much since no games peaked my interest until Japan fucking slaughtered the market last year starting with Nier Automata, Persona 5, Yakuza you get the jist. I mainly use my Xbox One for multiplats I want physical that I rather have on that console plus the few backwards compatible games I have. PC is for pretty specific stuff like I want to own all the Ys and Trails games on steam for instance. But as I said here, >>423900238
I am heavily interested in several games that I just can't get anywhere else. Fire Emblem I can only get with Nintendo. Octopath only at Nintendo. Bayonetta 1 I have on PC but the Switch version has those Nintendo costumes, I could mod it on PC but fuck that. Bayo 2 is Nintendo's baby. TWEWY is Nintendo's baby as well unless I got it on IOS but fuck that. And SMT V as far as we know is Switch only. These are the games that have caught my eye the most and I am interested in the Switch heavily. I don't know a single person personally who owns one because maybe the price or they are waiting for Smash, but these are the main games that interest me. So if you have any input please help a lost soul. Also I been thinking of adding Shovel Knight and I am Setsuna to the list. How do they run on steam compared to other platforms and how is the experience on switch and are they good in general?
>>
>>423898971
If you love Nintendo games, then yeah, it's easily worth it. If not I'd wait a couple of years.
>>
File: 1458443804789.jpg (19 KB, 589x669)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>423898971
id rather buy a pizza
>>
>>423900712
I know 3 grown men with kids who have a switch.

>>423900716
I like indies but I'm not interested in repaying for all of them that I likely already have on PC. Would make me feel sick. Would be a good place for pirating them but apparently that's not as easy at you'd think.
>>
>>423900851
Many of them play better on the Switch than on the PC. But, your mileage may vary.

>>423900712
The Switch is meant for a general audience, hence the presence of games like Octopath Traveler. It is not a kiddie console unless you buy kiddie games for it. Funny how that works.
>>
>>423898971
Trolling or..?

Tons of switches with the hardware vulnerability out there I don't think it will be difficult to get one for a very long time.

With SX OS whether you buy it or steal it you can have a lazy man's (albeit really convenient and pretty fucking fleshed out) NSP backup machine - even get just about anything you'd want to keep you busy off the eShop now. Haven't had a problem with bans (inb4 they are coming sure but whatever) although I have only been online to grab the exFAT patch (lazy) and grab pokemon quest for the DEVmenu.

Other than that tons of cool shit happening with hekate and homebrew in general plus ~~the second coming of or lord~~ atmosphere "to drop" (be worked on forever its a fucking opensource project) any day now.

Also rob your closest Game Stop if the point of this play commonplace post is budget.

But be efficient shitstick; Don't just grab one
>>
>>423901491
That isn't my only concern, my other concern is what I can actually do with the vulnerability while maintaining a functional switch that can perform it's intended purpose.

May have to also buy pre owned to get a vulnerable unit, especially if I wait. Because they are rolling out fixed units already.
>>
>>423899389
>Mario Tennis

No, it's not.
>>
>>423902037
Yeah, it is.
>>
>>423898971
Don't have a Wii-U so for me everything on Switch is a new game, but even I'm starting to regret it a little. I'm glad I was able to experience BotW and Odyssey, but Spla2oon and Bayo 2 were very average. MK8 and especially DOOM were severely disappointing. I was so hyped for this system, and even though it's really cool as a gadget, there's just nothing to play. Can't even watch youtube or Crunchyroll on it. And everything is so expensive while not being as good as cheaper games you can get on Steam. I'm really looking forward to Octopath and SNK Heroines and Smash, but I don't know man. Looking back now I should have waited at least another year or two. Probably should have gotten the 3DS for the shitload of game or the Vita for waifu games/jrpgs.
>>
No wait for a new generation, the switch has so many problems it's not funny.
>>
>>423900727
I've only had my Switch for 15 days so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. But of the games you mentioned I will probably get all of those at some point. Just started out with Zelda and Mario. Already about 60 hours into Zelda, haven't even touched Mario yet so I can focus on Zelda.
I'm looking to get into jrpgs for the first time since I played a bit of FF in the 90s and had an okay time. And it looks like the Switch is a pretty good platform for those looking ahead.
As for getting a Switch, I guess it depends on your budget. I already forked over a lot of dough for my gaming PC (including 5.1 surround sound and an ultrawide monitor) but the reason I decided to splash out on a Switch too was this year's E3. It finally felt like there were enough exclusives coming to justify it (and that's before we even get to second year mark) plus... I also have this really uneasy feeling about buying indies on Steam for my PC. It just doesn't feel right. Like, why spend so much money on a beast of a machine just to play something like Braid, Hollow Knight, Kamiko etc?
So I use my PC for bigger, more taxing titles that I'd like a larger screen for (truck/flight sims, milsims like Squad/Arma, games with gorgeous visuals that my 1080ti can handle etc).
Oh and Wii U games! That console was a shit show so I missed out on a lot of great stuff. My getting a Switch was kind of a perfect storm. Nostalgia for Nintendo exclusives and jrpgs, backlog of Wii U ports and it just feels "right" for playing indies on.
>>
>>423902650
If you unironically can't find at MINIMUM 50 games to play on Switch you have some serious serious shit taste.

Most people that say there's no games to play are either poorfags that every dollar is precious and thus don't want to spend money on something that isn't a guaranteed good game or people too dumb to pirate.
>>
>>423902650
I fucking loved mario kart 8 deluxe and I don't have a wii u. But yeah it would be much better if you could actually use the hardware for other things.
>>
>>423902787
For me indie stuff is too expensive on the switch and I already own almost all of it on pc. Would be gross to rebuy.
>>
bought a lightly used switch for $250 and SX pro for $40. been playing a bunch of games already, and don't give a shit if i get banned because who cares about nintendo multiplayer shit anyways
>>
>>423898971
IS IT PORTH IT TAKE A TAXI PAY THE $25 and test it out AND SEE THE PROS AND CONS AND IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT THEN FIND A PAY AND IF YOU CANT THEN YOU PILL BE TOTURED FOREVER UNLESS YOU FIND PAYS NOT TO GET TORTURED AND BE SAD TO SEE IF YOU THEORY IS CORRECT UNLESS YOU CAN PITHOUT GOING TO THE GAME STORE AND TESTING OUT THE CONSOLE PUT ITS SAD YOU CANT PORROP MONEY AND PAY IT BACK THIS COUNTRYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>423902847
I already have a Mario game and a Zelda game, I don't want to get burned out by Nintendo-themed games like Mario Rabbids, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, etc. so all those are all out for at least another year when I build up my library. I couldn't get into MK8 because it feels so slow even at the highest speed, ended up replacing it with Fast RMX which is great, but the tracks are way too short and it's always 3 laps every track so it gets a bit repetitive, but it's still fun. ARMS is too expensive, and it reminds me of Splatoon 2 so I feel like it will only be fun for the first week and then it gets stale. Never played Fire Emblem but the new one doesn't appear to have Tharja which is the only character I care about from that series. So that leaves Octopath, Dark Souls (which I've never played), SNK Heroines, and Smash. And all the Indie pixelshit is selling at 10x the price you'd pay on Steam, so I only get the ones on sale if I haven't played them already. But we need more AAA and AA games. Every time I go to gamestop or even check amazon/newegg/best buy, it's still the same 20-ish games. I'm seriously even considering giving Skyrim and Xenoblade a shot just because of how much playtime they might even though I don't really want them and I already have a modded Skyrim SE on Steam right now, so I'm not in a rush to go buy it again. What would you recommend.
>>
>>423903107
Could've gotten a new one for that. Hell they were 225 with the google express code a few days ago.
>>
>>423903504
Try Mighty Gunvolt Burst

Also Tharja is season pass DLC in FE Warriors
>>
>>423902920
MK8 would have been way more fun if I was still living with my brothers and we'd all invite our friends to play shit like Halo and Goldeneye and MK 64, but MK8 sucks as a single-player game. None of the vehicles can turn either, you gotta start turning 200 meters before the curve and maybe you won't skid off the side. If they brought back virtual console and I could play Mario Kart 64 again I'd be 100% happy with my Switch. I can play that game forever even by myself.
>>
>>423903579
forgot to say it came with a pro controller as well, and didn't have to wait for shipping or any such shit
>>
>>423903970
Yeah that's why I made the op. The switch with the few exclusives and wiiu ports I'm interested in plus the ability to emulate and or pirate indie games and shit I have already bought on steam would be a compelling system. Otherwise its hard for me to justify.

>>423903985
Not so bad then.
>>
>>423903821
>Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Sorry, I got so burned out by Indies the past couple months. I need something prettier to look at. I tried the demo, but it feels like sidescroller megaman number 92901. I would enjoy it a lot more if I hadn't binged out on sidescrollers and metroidvanias. I'm trying to avoid twinstick shooters, metroidvanias, sidescrollers, and platformers, and puzzle games. I'm looking for fighting games, rpgs, 3rd person modern action, fps, maybe something else. I played One Piece Pirate Warriros recently and I remembered I really don't like fighting the camera in those games. I saw footage of FEW, the camera looks rough there too. It's like you're too close to the character and it won't let you zoom out to see everything but your character runs around so fast. Also the maze-style maps are very claustrophobic, makes me feel like I'm playing an old PS2 action game.
>>
Is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as shit as it looks?
>>
>>423904358
How about the new Blazblue?

And though you said you don't want indies Pocket Rumble fighting game just came out and is only $10
>>
>>423904464
Cross Tag looks great but I'm waiting til it's out of early access and also after they add Cinder. But SNK Heroines is close enough that I can wait 2 more months. In the meantime I'm thinking of picking up Skyrim, Octopath, or Xenoblade 2.
>Pocket Rumble
looks good gameplay wise but like I said, I'm just too burnt out on the Indiepixel art style. And I got KOF 98 just a couple weeks after I got my Switch. I'm just waiting for Heroines at this point.

If they announced a Miku game I'd be happy with that too.
>>
>>423903504
Are you me? I'm also worried about Nintendo IP burnout, that's why I'm holding off on Mario until I at least finish Zelda.
Since Octopath is out now, maybe that will get you in the mood for similar stuff coming out later. And it sounds like it has a decent number of ours to occupy you.
>>
>>423899459
It’s boring to watch exciting to play
>>423900498
It plays games do that
>>
>>423900716
Same funny these screeching retards want shit like hackers ruining games
Hackers aren’t fun anymore they’re 99% cheating to win fags
The hacking to have fun chads are pretty much not existent
>>
>>423905158
Yeah, Octopath seems like the way to go. I heard there's no season pass/dlc, you get the whole package up front so that makes it more appealing that Xenoblade 2. I think Xenoblade is still getting DLC up til September or something, so I'll just wait until after SNK Heroines for that since it comes out that month too. I guess I'll just go with Octopath
>>
>>423902847
Funny enough I have over 50 games now I’m burning though money on this thing
>>
>>423898971
>Is a switch worth it?

If you like Nintendo games and indie/weebshit, then sure. It's basically a 3ds with better specs as far as games go.

>Is it also worth it to buy now so that you have a system with an exploit available? What can I do with a "hacked" switch?

No, best hacks require you to literally buy CFW from dodgy chinks. Get a Vita, that thing was recently hacked too and is a far better option with more stuff to do with it.
>>
>>423898990
>buying consoles for emulators
Why do people do this?
>>
>>423906493
Not for the emulator but it would be nice to have so I don't buy it for the 4 or so games I'm interested in.

>>423905976
Wouldn't do that. At that point I'd use my phone with a gamepad, the vita just isn't appealing.
>>
I got an original copy of MK8D and I want to sell it off. I'm still not banned from online even after using SX OS. Can I dump the XCI myself, use my own XCI to play online and sell the game?
>>
>>423898971
I've not experienced any hardware problems at all so far, but I'd be dubious about buying one if I didn't have one already, with the random damage that various units seem to do to themselves.
I'd like to hope the new ones that have the bootrom exploit fixed have also addressed other faults, but you never know if they introduce new flaws.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.