[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1536890559751.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
I wouldn't say it's the best game ever, but it had a nice plot, interesting characters and great music

This is my favorite track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

It kinda hurts me when i see people calling it shit but i actually had very fond memories of it.
>>
too kino for average person
>>
>>431546256
It had a nice atmosphere but the battle system was very different and could be easily abused which turned some people off. Coming right after the juggernaut that was FF7 didn't help either.
>>
>>431546256
It's because 10 years after the games released they read an article that said "battle system was very different and could be easily abused" and they've been repeating it ever since trying to look smart. Nobody actually abused back in the day, we just played it normally and had fun. No youtube back then to tell us how to abuse things.
>>
>>431547108
>It's because 10 years after the games released they read an article that said "battle system was very different and could be easily abused" and they've been repeating it ever since trying to look smart. Nobody actually abused back in the day, we just played it normally and had fun. No youtube back then to tell us how to abuse things.
literally this, people are just retards
>>
>>431546256
It's my personal favorite Final Fantasy in regards to tone, character design, atmosphere etc. All of the art and setting and whatnot is excellent. Squall is, in my opinion, undoubtedly the best protagonist in Final Fantasy, and one of the best ever created in video games. He's masculine and determined but also has very real teenage issues of abandonment and insecurity.

The problem with FF8 for me was some of the plotline choices and the battle system was terribly implemented and montonous. They could easily fix it up by just patching how the drawing system works and add in other options for obtaining magic organically rather than using a specific command to waste a turn obtaining some.

The sorceress from the future shit could have been foreshadowed better. It feels underplayed and makes it seem like it comes out of nowhere. The "we forgot we grew up together" thing is also poorly foreshadowed and feels contrived as hell. It's not necessarily wrong, but nothing pointed to it and it came out of nowhere and really wasn't necessary.

I still love the game but it badly needs to be reworked in a lot of ways. I also think their adamant insistence on Rinoa not being Ultimecia is an enormous waste as it could easily make sense.
>>
>>431546256
I like it.
>>
the characters all act retarded, story sucks and people try to make it more interesting with thoeries, and everything is just shit compared to 7 and 9
>>
Girl in Rinoa's OP is an infuriating retard that literally causes every problem.
>>
>>431546349
Its too this.

Brainlets want to grind their way through and pay as little attention as possible.

FFVIII is a game that requires you to actually think and is too much for the general video game playing audience.
>>
>>431546256
I don't hate it. I just stopped playing it because it wasted something like four hours of my life, when I got a GAME OVER with no continue option. For running out of time. On Squall's fucking exam.
>>
Rinoa is garbage and ruins the entire game.
>>
>>431547560

VII is the most overrated game of all time when it comes to plot and characters. The only character that makes it worth is Cloud with his literally nuclear autism.
>>
>>431546256
Nice plot but too convoluted
Half of the characters are literally anime tropes
Music is great
Gameplay is absolute trash
>>
>>431548124
If you think that shit's "worth it" there's a lot of unlikable cunts that will make a bunch of sub-par jRPGs your new top ten.
>>
File: 1536646299073.png (44 KB, 490x586)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>431547749
>FFVIII is a game that requires you to actually think
>>
>>431548479
This meme is for newfags. You are a newfag.
>>
>>431546256
>>431546349
It's literally my favorite FF. I've played all SNES and newer when they were new and this one was the best. FF7 is my second favorite. Honestly, they just kept getting better until 9.

>>431547108
>>431547221
The opposite was true, most people I knew got their shit bashed in repeatedly and quit before disc 2.
>>
>>431547787

I literally didn't think it was possible to be this bad at videogames
>>
>>431548302

What else is there, Sephiroth's backstory? Let me see

>Edgy talented guy discovers [THING] that wants him to wipe out the earth.

Where have I seen this before? Right, every single fucking Jrpg in existence.
>>
>>431546256
Because the game focused on the terrible romance elements in the usual FF plot. And Time Kompression
>>
>>431549015

makes him want to*
>>
>>431546256
literally all spoony parrots.

game was well received back then.
its super flawed but really enjoyable at the same time.
>>
>>431546256
Forgettable characters especially quistis after disc one i forgot she even exist
>>
>>431547749
>Stack Pain
>Put on Squalls ATTK stat
>Win Game
Gee that was hard
>>
>>431547318
they added other ways to get spells.
card mod into item mod gives you broken shit.

the way triple triad is woven into the core gameplay is genius, but most werent smart enough to figure it out.
>>
>>431549113
>game was well received back then.
No, it wasn't. It was well received by critics and fans hated it because it wasn't FF7, and FF7 was when there was an enormous influx of new Final Fantasy fans.
>>
File: 1483300260656s.jpg (6 KB, 207x243)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>431546256
FF8 had a dumb contrived story and a boring slogfest of a battle system.

It had great CGI cutscenes and music though.

Literally all style and no substance.
>>
>>431549301
>they added other ways to get spells.
>card mod into item mod gives you broken shit.
Not the type of thing I was referring to. I'm talking about accruing magic through normal gameplay more often. More draw points, maybe weapons having different passive siphoning rates when attacking with them. Anything other than "pass you turn, draw spells based on your own Mag stat in comparison to the enemy's" or whatever it was.

It's fine that the card options are somewhat of a solution, but it doesn't fix the game. Particularly since that means you need to engage in hours of a minigame just to fix the wonky magic/draw system.
>>
>>431549990
>weapons having different passive siphoning rates when attacking with them
or a mug equivalent for drawing
>>
>>431546256
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijM6kKPmKls
>>
>>431548552
Final Fantasy VIII is for newfags.
>>
>>431546256
Your average joe has massive problems understanding the junctioning system. That's why it was hated back then, it's also why it wouldn't sell well today.
>>
>>431546256
It's hated because of that out of the blue scene where it turns out they've all known each other all along. Even though its told to you why this is the case, it's still a bit strange.
Thing is, final fantasy has always had strange stories that you have to suspend your belief for a bit to understand.
Other than that, i guess the battle system, but i have no problem with it.
ff8 is one of the best ff's imo.
>>
>>431546256

Broken battle system, but more importantly the plot goes completely off the rails and becomes utterly retarded after disc 2.

I didn't even get mad when they were all inexplicably from the same orphanage, but having no resolution for Seifer's arc, introducing a throwaway main villain near the end, all the contrived deus ex machina plot points like everything to do with Ellone... and worst of all, having the most anticlimactic reveal possible to the game's central mystery (The visions of Laguna and his pals) were all terrible decisions that piled up and ruined the game.

Oh, and it pissed me off that the game's point of no return happened without warning on the second-to-last disc, preventing me from doing most of the sidequests.
>>
>>431546256
Like others have pointed out the battle system being abused was only for people with the strategy guide back then and all Final Fantasies could be abused if you had a strategy guide so games didn't care about balancing themselves since the knowledge on how to do it wasn't easily accessible and it was considered a plus in gaming back then since it was a reward for figuring out the quirks of the game on your own.

The real reason is three fold, came right after FF7, the final act tosses around and destroys some of the story built up to that point, the WHATEVER meme. The WHATEVER meme is the single most damaging thing to FF8's reputation, it's a small portion of the game lasting only a few lines of dialogue in about three spots but it lingered so hard in the psyche from people who played and didn't play it not helped by Square themselves for some reason pushing this as Squall's personality outside of FF8 that it overshadows the rest of the story and characters.

The same thing happened to Cloud's characterization but FF7 had such an upbeat cast for the most part that it managed to not kill its reputation fully even if it did damage. For some reason Square is just terrible at marketing its IPs, it's like if Marvel buried confident quipy Spiderman and exclusively showed off symbiote Spiderman or Last Stand one as the face of its series.
>>
The Virgin Squall:
>Awkward around women
>Moody and self-absorbed
>Has to manually equip a GF
>SEED sounds like a Sperm Bank
>Relationship with Rinoa is extremely forced

The Chad Zidane:
>Funny and charming around all women
>Life of the party, brings the introverted Vivi out of his shell
>Engages in acts of brotherly bonding like pissing under the stars with his bros
>Relationship with Garnet progresses naturally and in a believable manner
>Is a world-class actor
>>
>>431554185
Wasn't Rinoa literally brainwashing him?
>>
>>431554185
Funny since they're the exact opposite by the end of the game. Squall learns to cheer up and Zidane goes full on edge mode.
>>
>>431553658

You are clearly autistic. The whatever meme is and was always affectionate and you've failed to realize this. FF8 is hated for many reasons but Squall is not one of them.
>>
because of spoony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFTkY0IFL1g
>>
>>431555670
Are you so autistic or just new to the internet that you can't identify when "Whatever" shifted from an insult to endearing? "Whatever" was the go to shitpost that FF7 fans used to shit on the game long before 4chan existed, don't judge it on recent updated opinions from this place or other communities. It's co-opted now but actual arguments about gameplay or even story were rarely used.
>>
>>431548287
that's every ff game
>>
>>431556307

In your circle of friends you mean. It was never a common criticism, especially not from FF7 fans, who all liked Squall because he was similar to Cloud. Whatever is just the equivalent to Not Interested.
>>
It has a bunch of glaring problems so it’s easy to shit on it.

9 on the other hand is medieval so it’s safe to say you like it, even though it’s got just as much stupid shit going on. That, and it was graphically polished.

9 is the safe game.
8 was the unsafe game.

That’s literally all you need to know about why people shit on 8 and praise 9.
>>
As soon as Disc 2 ends, the plot dies.
I was actually really enjoying Squall as a character up until that point.
>>
>>431556695

9 was not a safe game at the time, which is also part of why it didn't sell that well.

Contemporary fantasy was all the rage at the time thanks to FF7. FF8 just kept going with that.
>>
>>431546256
Future Sorceress story way too convoluted and poor developed( Laguna story is far better than his son) the battle system is a joke. Not a bad FF but it reeks of wasted potential.
>>
>>431546256
The expectations around it were too high, this was Squaresoft at the height of their power, they knocked it ouf of the park with FF6 and FF7, and had a bunch of another great RPGs on their belt, the hype around it was too big.
On a plus side though, it cleansed the palate of players and allowed FF9 to be what it is today, if FF9 was released after FF7 it would be FF9 that would be the relegated one today
>>
>>431556883
I suppose I agree with you there

At the same time my thinking is that the distinction is that where society moves determines what people will say. Because FF has gone to crap for various reasons, people become untrusting of things that seem unfamiliar and harken back to what seems more traditional. If FF were better, people would be generally more open to unfamiliar ideas and not so down on FF8.
>>
File: Renzokukens (Boss).webm (2.48 MB, 208x158)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB WEBM
>>431547318
>Squall is, in my opinion, undoubtedly the best protagonist in Final Fantasy, and one of the best ever created in video games. He's masculine and determined but also has very real teenage issues of abandonment and insecurity.
He, like nearly all the characters in FFVIII, is extremely well-written.

>The problem with FF8 for me was some of the plotline choices and the battle system was terribly implemented and montonous.
The battle system implementation was inherently NOT monotonous, dude. No matter how you wanted to fight, you could win. It could be challenging or simple depending on how much you wanted to explore your battle options. You could be a summoner, a magician, a debuffer, an elementalist, you could spam Attack, you could even spam Limit Breaks. And you could do it against any enemy at any time, beginning to end, at any level. People freaked out because there wasn't a "Weapon" or "Armor" slot, didn't see the word "Equip" and instead saw the word "Junction." Their only experience with a JRPG was FF7 and it wasn't the same with dozens of equipment and instead saw customization.
And you mention Draw like it was the only way to gain magic. It wasn't. It was the most obvious and slow, but there were multiple other ways to gain magic in FFVIII.

>The sorceress from the future shit could have been foreshadowed better.
Absolutely not. Ultimecia was a plot twist and it was well exposited. The world of FFVIII implemented the subtle fear of the power Sorceresses, including the Oedipus story of the future tyrant, very well. As for the "amnesia orphans", yes, everyone agrees that was practically pointless and stupid.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>431558245
>He, like nearly all the characters in FFVIII, is extremely well-written.
Now hoooold up just a moment
>>
>>431546256
>"OMG, Guys! We were all in the same orphanage! What a coincidence! And Edea was our caretaker!"

That' s why. Shit writing.
>>
Someone explain to me why they haven't given this the re-release treatment that 7 and 9 got? I want to buy all three on my PS4, but it annoys me to just have 7 and 9.
>>
File: 20-20.png (132 KB, 1321x563)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
>>431547560
>the characters all act retarded
Not at all. They even act more mature than regular 17-year-olds. From the introverted Squall was abandonment issues to the cocky Laguna who matured from his wild life to a man of dependability. Seifer's small details are INCREDIBLE when you notice them and turn him into a wildly interesting character. Ultimecia stops really being an "evil" villain and begins to be someone the player extremely empathizes for when you understand why she acts the way she does and what her decisions led to. Zell becomes Marty McFly, Irvine is the stereotypical dumbass pretty boy, Selphie is a cute peppy cheerleader, Quistis is the sidelined/friend-zoned older sis type and even Rinoa (for as reviled she might be considering the speedy romance) is very well portrayed for her teenage rebellion against her military father and her jilted ex relationships. And not just the main cast, but supporting casts, and world understandings like how Sorceresses are known, how Adel can be interpreted, how the Shumi and Moomba relate...the characters of FFVIII are quite well-written and have a lot of great dialogue.

And the story does not suck. It's a classic Greek tragedy/romance.
You know what they say; when you look back at it all...
>>
>>431546256
>Plot
The plot is an incoherent bi-polar fucking mess. You're a high school student mercenary who gets sent on a mission to assassinate some witch.You meet up with the rebels attempting to kill this bitch, but it turns out that she's actually your orphanage matron and oh also you and all of your friends and people you just happen to meet along the way were also orphans there and then there's time travel and also paradox, and Rhinoa is actually the daughter of some skank who got knocked up by someone who isnt leguauuguguga. It's bad, even for a Japanese game.
>Character
Teeth grating to the point of snapping a molar in half retarded. All of them. Squall is an unlikeable whiny fucking cunt, Zel is an unlikeable whiny man child with an obession with chili dogs (IE he's basically a Sonic OC), Rhinoa is a bland, boring, uninteresting character who just basically complains at emo squall about everything, but also fires her pet dog from her arm. Broke back mountain is a internet tough guy too pussy to actually assassinate the target whom for all they knew was murdering countless people, ara ara has nice tits and I want to bang her, but she's also a whiny complaining bitch about everything, selfie is a bubble-headed fucking retard who is only there for the short skirt, Steifle is squall in all but the color of his fucking jacket and hair.
>Music
Alright fair enough.

It's a terrible fucking game, save from the music of it, it's literally the worst in the entire FF series.
>>
File: 1494070062560.gif (260 KB, 496x368)
260 KB
260 KB GIF
>>431548707
>The opposite was true, most people I knew got their shit bashed in repeatedly and quit before disc 2
Most normies now, and especially then, had no clue how to play an RPG or JRPG. Their likely only experience with FF was 7 and this didn't follow the same equipment premise. FF8 became very difficult for them as they power-leveled without junctioning, yeah. Years later, as internet forums began to spread the word to those who looked for it, it became OBVIOUS what to do to make yourself strong and people who failed before felt shame and began to hate on it for their own pride. Furthermore, anyone who didn't play, along with those egoists, slandered the game as a result so the "internet word" was "it's too convoluted/too easily broken." But it wasn't, and it was incredibly favorably reviewed and sold EXCEEDINGLY well.
>>
>>431546256
>Why is Final Fantasy VIII so hated?

>do traditional jrpg gameplay for seven games
>change it up, because "fuck it"
>instances of "if you miss stealing this magic/summon during this one random encounter, you'll miss it forever. No backsies"

The break away from the "chibi" nonsense was good though, so....there's that.
>>
>>431558924

How do people still not know the source code is gone? They can't remaster something they don't have. The reason this is never ever is the same reason IX has blurry backrounds, because the original artwork can't be scanned in HD because it was destroyed along with the source code for 8.

Every thread since these announcments someone mentions this and people still fucking ask this.
>>
File: 1505566526320.jpg (135 KB, 478x499)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>431549050
I wouldn't say the romance between Squall and Rinoa was heavily focused on. Their interactions were prevalent, but usually very tame. Generally ending with Squall thinking, "I don't like this girl."

The problem with that romance, however, is that it shifted VERY quickly from "I don't like this girl" to "I can't be without this girl" and we all agree; that was stupid.

And Time Kompression was the plot. It was the point, and it was good. In fact, if they actually brought Ellone into more focus, it would be easier for people to have accepted why time travel was occurring. It practically revolves around her very existence.
>>
>>431559835
The entire section from them being trapped inside of the prison was squall whining and complaining that he had to go save her. To the point where he was retarded enough to go into space to fucking save her. You are grasping at some cosmic straws there man. It was focused on from that point forward and never stopped.
>>
File: 1509126163245.jpg (577 KB, 810x1080)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
>>431549714
>>game was well received back then.
>No, it wasn't.
Complete bullshit. Not just the critics, like you mentioned, giving it enormously high reviews, but people loved it. They bought it by the millions, in months. The small female audience especially enjoyed the game. Fans of the series enjoyed its departure from all kinds of graphical elements, classes, battle system and the idea that the story wasn't the classic "Warrior of Light saves the world by destroying an Evil General who's corrupting the Crystal."
>>
>>431549864
>a boring slogfest of a battle system.
There were so many ways to battle in FF8, you're being intentionally naive.
>>
>>431560131
No they didn't it sold so badly that it's the sole reason they made Final Fantasy 9 the way they did. I bought the game used from a pawn shop not six months after it came out for $5 and it was like fucking new. It bombed, HARD.
>>
>We all knew each other but lost our memories
One of the dumbest plot twists in the history of JRPGs ever
>>
>>431559772
I have asked this several times and have never received this response. What a shame. How do people lose source code to games in these huge series like Final Fantasy? It's stupid as shit. They treat it like I treat the garbage on my computer.
>>
They decided to port only the good Final Fantasies to Switch.
>>
>>431549990
>Particularly since that means you need to engage in hours of a minigame just to fix the wonky magic/draw system.
No, you don't.

You seem to be under the impression you NEED to have 100 of the strongest magics out there ASAP in order to "keep up" with the scaling enemies around you.
You don't.
And as the game progresses, getting 100 of the strongest magics out there become extremely easy since those "Card Mods" don't give you just 1 Fira, it grants 100 Firaga from 5 of some item. Or 20 Ultima from a rare card. Or a draw point just gave you 12 more Meltdown and will recharge in 5 minutes. Just like the rest of the world, as you go through it, gaining things becomes fast and easy.

Go figure in order to get maxxed out 255 in all stats at lvl 1 by mid disc 2 it takes effort and knowledge. But also guess what; you don't need to do that. So many people parroting
>It's too easy to break the game!!!
when they turn right around and say
>but it takes too long to get what I want to break the game!!!
>>
File: 1534707470642.jpg (87 KB, 995x933)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>Spoony makes a video about it back in 08
>Everytime someone "rants" about FF8 they link the Spoony video.
I'm glad he made the Ultima retrospective before he went insane, but holy shit.
>>
>>431560787
>IT'S NOT BAD OR BROKEN YOU JUST HAVE TO GRIND A LOT OF YOU DON'T WANT TO GRIND.
u wat m8
>>
File: 1494089282719.gif (391 KB, 448x224)
391 KB
391 KB GIF
>>431552720
>but more importantly the plot goes completely off the rails and becomes utterly retarded after disc 2.
No it doesn't.
The plot of Disc 1 is simply braindead simple: you're a mercenary hired to kill the villainess of the world, a Sorceress who's taken over the largest military power.
Disc 2 begins and you discover the motives for that Sorceress.
Disc 3 begins and you discover how she planned to do it and your plan to combat her and the price it's costing you.
Disc 4 is her destruction and the plot-twist ending of how it was all a self-fulfilling prophecy, like many classic stories of the Hellenistic period of history.

People just hate
>Squall dies
>I don't remember we're all orphans
They fixate on only that and then call everything about FF8 trash.
>>
>>431554610
No.
It's a popular theory people like to think that Rinoa was a Sorceress all along and was brainwashing Squall to love her after she was jilted by Seifer as a means to make him jealous, but it doesn't match anything in the story's time, exposition or dialogue. All it explains is why Squall suddenly starts being clingy to this girl we knew he didn't like for the majority of his time with her.
>>
>>431561217
>No it doesn't.
Ahem.
>>431558426
Disc 3 onwards is a deathblow to Squall's characterization because it completely ditches the running theme of him growing into the role of leader that's thrust unto him, and learning to forge connections again, in favor of having his monologue be exclusively and maddeningly about Rinoa from that point onwards.
Pre-Disc 3 Squall might very well be my favorite protagonist this franchise has ever produced, meanwhile Disc 3 Squall might very well actually be the one I hate the most.
>>
>>431546256
So I'm supposed to be cool with every single character in the game FORGETTING that they grew up together because of the use of GFs? REALLY FUCK FACE?!
>>
>>431561217
Because that's 80% of the basis for the entire plot you fucking retard.
>>
File: 1503169759389.jpg (79 KB, 1003x564)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>431558426
He was an orphan child he never knew his parents and the one "family" he did know was a girl he only thought abandoned him. He has serious issues that he solved in his life by letting his introversion keep him isolated from becoming attached to anyone ever again. It made him lonely, but unhurt. It also made him strong. He grew out of those things when he began to understand the circumstances and opened up a bit which made those he led really start to love him. Where Laguna had people love him for his charm, Squall had people love him because he proved himself worthy

SQUALL is well-written, but I can admit (as does absolutely everyone) his "romance" with Rinoa was too fast and under-developed for his personality and his known opinions of who she was as a very prissy spoiled bitchy brat.
>>
>>431562318
No he's not well written 75% of his dialog is him complaining. He whines more than Francis did in Left 4 dead. Fuck at least 20% of that dialog is just him saying a variant on "whatever."
>>
People who like FF8 are contrarians who also "enjoy" the Star Wars prequels.
>>
>>431562318
Stealing Rinoa's comatose body overnight to take her by himself to Esthar was still an exceedingly poor decision considering that going to Esthar the next day to find a cure for her was what everybody had agreed to do already.
So was giving her over to the Esthar Department of Freezing Women in Boxes after they came back from space, incidentally.
>>
>>431546256
Squall is a whiny emo fuckboy who cries over being an orphan even though everyone else in the game is too.

Rinoa is a dumb slut who constantly endangers herself and her friends for the sake of some cock.

Zell is Poochie the Dog in human skin.

Selphie's entire characterization is that she has asperger's syndrome.

Ultimecia, the main fucking villain of the story, doesn't even appear until the tail end of the game, and she has the most hackneyed, contrived motivations ever.

The junction system is hilariously easy to break and the least balanced battle system in FF history.

But besides that it's great.
>>
File: 1494090671758.gif (429 KB, 480x224)
429 KB
429 KB GIF
>>431559136
>The plot is an incoherent bi-polar fucking mess.
No, it's not. Your cherry-picked ravaging of this 40-hour-long game shows you focused only on what would be considered the "contrived" part of a story's setting. You act like you got orders to kill a witch AND THEN IMMEDIATELY DISCOVER she's your mom. Which isn't true, that very silly fact was mentioned briefly halfway towards the end, got some mild side-exposition, and then promptly ignored. And the fact Rinoa is the daughter of Julia, the same woman a young soldier Laguna once tried to woo, is a mild reference to tie the characters together but never explicitly stated or explored or even relevant. It's literally just a "fun fact."

The time travel paradox isn't "bi-polar" and is a CLASSIC perspective on Oedipus and Laius of Greek stories and other self-fulfilling prophecies throughout time across the world.

>Characters
I'm reading your post as i go along responding to it, but as I'm reading this, you're just being an ass.
You can have these opinions, but if it's truly how you feel, then like I said, you're just being an ass. There's no point in continuing my response.

Thank you for admitting the OST for FF8 is good, though.
>>
File: Renzokuken (ATM-080).webm (2.28 MB, 672x504)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB WEBM
>>431559757
>if you miss stealing this magic/summon during this one random encounter, you'll miss it forever. No backsies
You can steal nearly all the summons from the end-game bosses.
>>
It's a pleb filter. Anyone who didn't like it wanted more Sephiroth and Cloud.
>>
>>431546256
The interesting thing about FFVIII is that it is easily the most polarizing game of the entire franchise.

People loved it, people hated it, but both sides simply cannot stop talking about it. FFVIII threads are almost always densely populated and evoke more discussion than any other thread dedicated to any Final Fantasy game.

Flawed as it may well have been, it clearly did a lot more things right than it did wrong and, as they say, the proof is in the pudding.
>>
Casualfilter, most people played it wrong.
>>
>>431560379
There was a fire, it wasn't intentional.
>>
>>431546349
First post best post.
>>
>>431546349
fpbp, unironically
>>
>>431563347
>it wasn't intentional
I highly doubt that.
>>
>>431547221
applies to FF2 as well
>>
>>431563326
>It's good because people talk about how much they dislike it
So this is the power of 8 fans....
>>
>>431563146
>cherry Picked
I just gave and entire synopsis for the entire game. How the fuck did I cherry pick?
>Immediately discover she's your mom
Because that's exactly what you fucking do, Squall gets ice spiked, he's dead, then you're trapped inside of the facility with steifle torturing you, you fight him, you immediately find out she's mom.
>Julia
I Literally said that in the fucking post you illiterate moron.
>Time tracel paradox isn't bi-polar
Yes it fucking is, it comes completely out of left field with no build up. You can almost get fucking whiplash how it was just shoe horned the fuck into there.

>Site character traits down to a fucking T
>I'm just being an ass
No you're just delusional, this game is fucking trash and you're a god damn weeb with terrible fucking taste.
>>
>>431563525
And here we have the average VIII hater with his very poor reading comprehension.
>>
File: 1505677732013.gif (1.61 MB, 376x374)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB GIF
>>431560095
The goal of "save the rescued Rinoa" and "Squall and Rinoa Squall and Rinoa Squall and Rinoa no let's not do anything else it's just gonna be Squall and Rinoa!" are entirely different. The first example occurred, the second example did not.

It's something like, if you're a manga fan (on 4chan? Inconceivable!) and saying the Hueco Mundo arc was focused on the romance of Ichigo and Inoue. No, that was the goal, but it's not like we spent two years watching the interaction between Ichigo and Inoue.
>>
File: 32432423.jpg (214 KB, 1000x1273)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
It's a guilty pleasure game and I can see why a lot of people would hate it. Hell, I hated it the first time I played it as well.
One of my favorite FF's now.
>>
It's for patricians only.
>>
>>431546256
rng
>>
>>431563326
No, it did one thing right and it could've been a fucking music CD and saved everyone the head ache of how fucking terrible it is. The only people how actually like this game are Weebs and edgy emo faggots who complain about how no one understands them. It's a terrible fucking game.
>>
>>431562318
FF7 romance exists literally in flashbacks
FF9 romance exists not. It just happens
WRPG romance exists in cheap sex cutscenes

Yeah, turns out making romance in games is not so easy unless you design the game around it
>>
>>431546256
its got the best OST and most consistent of any ff game. uematsu at his prime
>>
>>431546256

Shits the bed hard around the time you get to Esther, wastes a good premise pretty badly and tries a scattershot of new ideas very few of which fully land resulting in a broken mess of a game.

That said I honestly think 8 is a lot better than I had remembered it being, I played it again last year after not touching it for about a decade and some of the stuff that it's famous for isn't really that awful.

I used to think Rinoa was super shitty but I kind of like her now. She doesn't hold a candle to anyone in 7's cast though which is what I think is part of the problem for 8, big shoes to fill.
>>
>>431555340
Zidane did just find out that he's a walking apocalypse
>>
File: joking.gif (3.74 MB, 390x299)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB GIF
>>431560264
>Final Fantasy 9
Now there's the game that flopped hard. VII, VIII and X are great games that made the numbers. IX did not.
>>
>>431563710
I don't read weeb shit, what the fuck are you talking about.
>Didn't fucking happen
IT'S LITERALLY THE EVENT THAT ENDS DISC FUCKING-TWO ARE YOU SERIOUS?!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHiZW-CLLGo
>>
File: HR ffviii guidebook.jpg (346 KB, 2112x2112)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
>>431560264
>No they didn't it sold so badly
Completely wrong.
>The game was a commercial success; 13 weeks after its release, Final Fantasy VIII had earned more than US$50 million in sales, making it the fastest-selling Final Fantasy title until Final Fantasy XIII, a multi-platform release. It was ported to Microsoft Windows in 2000. It was re-released worldwide as a PSOne Classic on the PlayStation Store in 2009, for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable, with support for PlayStation Vita in 2012. It was re-released via Steam in 2013 and in Japan in 2014. As of December 2013, it has sold more than 8.5 million copies worldwide.[1]
It outsold FFIX by an order of 4 and currently is nearly DOUBLE FFIX's total sale amount despite having the WORST PC port in Square history and no other releases besides an ISO rip for the Vita while FFIX has had as many as FF7.

>it's the sole reason they made Final Fantasy 9 the way they did
Also completely inaccurate. FF9 began development and was halfway through production before FF8 even released. The "realistic" proportions of 8 and its departure from the FF standard had ZERO bearing on the fact that 9 (developed by a different team to begin with) was created with the desire to explore the classic FF setting on the Playstation hardware.

You are spreading misinformation. It did not "bomb hard."
>>
File: isVII4.jpg (98 KB, 640x895)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>431563919
>FF7 romance exists literally in flashbacks

dis nigga
>>
>>431564276
>IT'S LITERALLY THE EVENT THAT ENDS DISC FUCKING-TWO
Wrong. Play a game before talking about it.
>>
>>431559835

I think the Squall Rinoa romance works better if you keep them in the same party all game. They get some good incidental stuff, particularly at the garden, if you do.
>>
>>431564446
Alright well fuck me, I got the disc wrong. Excuse the fuck out of me. It still fucking happened though you fucking retard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHiZW-CLLGo
>>
I still don't understand the junction system at all, but I don't think that's why people hate it

Coming after FF7 might have had something to do with it, it's pretty different to that game and I don't think people got that FF games are pretty seperate from eachother at that point
>>
>>431564675
You're trying too hard to be the typical 4chan edgelord, take it down a few notches.
>>
FF8 fans are the same people who will try to convince you the Star Wars prequels are good.
>>
File: Renzokuken (large).webm (2.43 MB, 768x576)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB WEBM
>>431560946
Exactly.
People seem to complain you can break the system if you know how, and then immediately complain its too hard and scary if you don't know how!
They never realized they're simply idiots who didn't understand "junction" meant "equip" and when they did, they realized they spent every battle in the game sitting there using the Draw skill 13 times per character per magic and now everything was too easy. Or didn't and just tried to level up and didn't bother junctioning and now everything was too hard.
>>
>>431563919
I haven't ever played a WRPG with a sex cutscene, but I imagine that showing them fucking each other significantly cheapens the dramatic effect of the romance as a whole.

There's a reason pornography can't ever be considered art. By arousing the viewer directly, it disconnects them from the emotional aspect of the romance at play.
>>
File: red.jpg (323 KB, 1201x840)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
Squall x Rinoa is the cutest shit, especially in Disc 2, fuck you people.
>>
>>431562154
What are you talking about when you say "that"? The plot of the game is to kill the time traveling Sorceress. For the first disc, you didn't know she was time traveling. You sound really naive if all you remember are the unanimously disliked (AND TINY) parts of the game where GF's replace memories as the price for their use.
>>
>>431564994
>There's a reason pornography can't ever be considered art. By arousing the viewer directly, it disconnects them from the emotional aspect of the romance at play.
Just inject some netorare into it.
>>
FF8 detractors must be the most confused and incoherent people on this board. They just keep finding new reasons to hate a masterpiece from the Golden Era based on hearsay and misunderstanding. "boo hoo, Squall is a teenager, why does he have emotions that aren't ridiculous raw edge like Cloud???"
>>
>>431560264
Imagine being so mad at a game that you make up lies about it on the internet.
>>
>>431565227
Holy shit, what a twist.

I suppose something that fucks with you that much can't be anything less than art.
>>
>>431564374
So pounding pussy means romance when you're an ugly virgin, huh?
>>
>>431546256
It's kinda like if Nintendo released Skyward Sword right after Ocarina of Time
>>
File: Renzokuken (Bahamut).webm (2.93 MB, 672x504)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>431562726
He's not whining, he's being dismissive. He's also 17. And that isn't "75%" of his dialogue. It's his inner-monologue where he's usually just commenting on how stupid he finds the motivations or expectations people have.

>>431562962
Squall didn't know what he was doing. That was the entire point of that Fisherman's Horizon scene where the entire group was already waiting for him at the entrance to Esthar: to prove he didn't have to do things alone. He still didn't trust anyone and was being a self-serving asshole. It was a Plot. Point.
For precisely the same circumstance with handing over Rinoa to Esthar: he felt he learned he could trust others after the last plot point, but it turns out those strangers he just trusted couldn't be trusted and he HATED himself for giving in to that. Go figure! Teenaged inner conflict! The man he trusted no one was taught to trust again but holy shit it backfired on him so he was PISSED.

All anyone ever talks about is "whatever." It's a video game for kids, I shouldn't think people pay close attention to details.
>>
File: 1520276315795.jpg (29 KB, 400x533)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>431546256
>game shills a Quistis romance hard throughout the first arc
>literally completely forgotten after
What the fuck happened
>>
File: Eye of the Griever.jpg (127 KB, 900x1200)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>431562856
>People who like FF8
I like FF8.
>are contrarians who also "enjoy" the Star Wars prequels.
I do not like the prequels and I haven't even seen the sequels because I know I'd hate them.
>>
>>431565895
Squall wrecks her at the Training Centre so she knows hes not into her. The real crime is that there is no Trepies/Quistis porn scene desu.
>>
>>431565819
That sounds exactly like something an ugly virgin in the friendzone would say.
>>
>>431563579
Not that anon, but he pointed all that out because you said it like it was the entire point of the game.
>>
File: 1.jpg (253 KB, 1204x841)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
Oh man look at this edgelord, literally Shadow tier.
>>
>>431566117
mommy...
>>
File: 1533466606897.png (12 KB, 128x119)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>431566350
I can see her panties
>>
File: 4.jpg (280 KB, 1203x840)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>431566350
Yep, he definitely hates Rinoa, here's a scene in Disc 2 where he praises her. This is what you say to people you loathe.
>>
>>431564854
You're calling me an edgelord because you said something was factually incorrect and I post the video from the section you said doesn't exist? You fucking weebs are something else.
>>431564917
It's a grind no matter what way you fucking do it. The entire system of having magic a limited number of uses as oppose to mana which it has been in every other fucking FF was god damn retarded and you know it. If you draw it of monster or grind to get the cards off monsters, or grind playing that hot fucking garbage of triple triad it's still grind grind grind grind grind. It's a terrible fucking system and no amount of mental gymnastics makes it any less boring shit.
>>
>>431566270
People who like FF8 are all handsome and i'm no exception.
>>
>>431566315
Because it fucking is.
>>431565865
No he's complaining IE being Whiny.
>>
>>431566608
Typical underage faggot who doesn't understand that you also argue with your friends. Why are all ff8 haters sociopaths? Every. Single. Time.
>>
File: 5.jpg (251 KB, 1199x841)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>431566608
Nothing in his mind but blood and bones. No time to think about those dumb "friends" he definitely isn't attaching to and is not lying to himself because he has abandonment issues, not at all.
>>
>>431566631
>fuckety fuckety fuck fuck fuck
>>
Man FF8 fans are really mentally unstable. They feel the need to reply to every dismissal or complaint in such a whiny, passive aggressive manner. I guess they take after their idol in that way.
>>
FF8 holds a special place in my heart just for Balamb Garden alone.
>>
>>431565895
>shills a Quistis romance hard
imaging being this retarded
first cutscene show rinoa, game cover show squalxrinoa
>>
>>431564875
The king of strawmen has nothing on this argument.
>>
>>431566674
based
>>
File: 1418045538518.jpg (33 KB, 557x697)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>
File: 1473622683538.png (430 KB, 586x700)
430 KB
430 KB PNG
>>431566726
Sounds like you're complaining IE being Whiny
>>
File: 61330273_p0.png (651 KB, 635x900)
651 KB
651 KB PNG
>>
File: Raine Loire.jpg (140 KB, 598x318)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>431566631
>You're calling me an edgelord because you said something was factually incorrect and I post the video from the section you said doesn't exist? You fucking weebs are something else.
You're attributing some other anon who you're responding to with my points. And you're lying about my points. I said that the game doesn't become a Squall+Rinoa at all times forever (it remains a story of the maturing Squall goes off to kill the time traveling Sorceress), not that we never discover Edea was the Matron for war orphans. My only comment about "mom" was that it was BRIEF, got a small side-quest which was fabricated to show Squall was opening up and then IGNORED for the rest of the game. While you are demanding it was the entire point, start to finish.
>>
>>431563326
>most polarizing
That would be FF13.
FF8 is mostly hated.
>>
Are all FF8 fanboys this deep in denial?
>>
>>431563893
>CD Music
But all the PSX FF games use MIDI and not RedBook audio.
>>
File: Materia Opportunities.png (589 KB, 742x1078)
589 KB
589 KB PNG
>>431566631
>It's a grind no matter what way you fucking do it.
1. So don't grind. It's not necessary.
2. So don't "do it." It's not necessary.

You seem to believe since it CAN be done, it HAS to be done.
>>
File: 67490441_p0.jpg (89 KB, 600x800)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>
It's the best. Only idiots says otherwise.
>>
Explain to me in 100 words or less how to change card rules in different towns.
>>
>>431565895
No, the game shows Quistis being hungry for Squall's dick and Squall being literally "no way fag"
>>
File: R.gif (684 KB, 245x255)
684 KB
684 KB GIF
>>431546349
First post best post
>>
File: 1414240759284.gif (2.6 MB, 347x341)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB GIF
>>431568516
I have no idea and this is my favorite game of all time.
>>
File: Wedge Intensifies.jpg (69 KB, 537x519)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>431568181
>FF8 is mostly hated.
Wrong with literal decades of proof and data to tell you that you're wrong. On every level, "mostly" is completely inaccurate. A vocal minority doesn't like it and complain (huh? what about someone complaining...) in every FF thread they can when VIII comes up.
>>
>>431568669
I've beat it 4 times and I still no idea how the rule spreading works
>>
>>431568516
man up and play random rule
>>
>>431568265
>FF8 deserves to be paid for at full-price
>which is the exact opposite of what will happen with no Switch/PS4 re-release

umm...
>>
>>431568669
>tfw her titty are jiggling
>>
we all went to the same orphanage lmao
>>
File: Squall.jpg (9 KB, 208x250)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>Final Fantasy coming to Switch
>VII, IX, X, X-2, XII
>FF8 is forever the redheaded stepchild
>>
File: Trade Rule RANDOM.gif (2.85 MB, 240x180)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB GIF
>>431568516
Save.
First, when you enter a region, start by playing people who ask if they can "mix" rules
1. ONLY play games the select the rules you like.
2. If a specific rule shows up and you don't like it, "quit"
RNG takes over and something of those mixed rules should either "spread throughout the region" or "rule has been abolished".
3. Reset your game if you get an undesirable result.
>>
>>431547787
>running out of time. On Squall's fucking exam

Nigga how
>>
>>431568669
Those perky tits
>>
File: Whatever fag.png (299 KB, 1095x903)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
>>431568572
>>
File: Whatever.jpg (40 KB, 640x343)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Truly our hero
>>
File: 1534412453907.png (208 KB, 480x640)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
>>431569051
They're working on a new remaster for the 20th anniversary next year. I want to believe.
>>
File: 1517891258161.jpg (59 KB, 640x550)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>431569237
What the fuck am i reading
You're just adding to my confusion
>>
File: Timber_TV_Station.jpg (85 KB, 600x450)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>431569051
Well, to be fair to FF8, it's not intentional. The port Nintendo/Xbox is getting simply doesn't exist for FF8.

NO ONE gets a remaster of FFVIII. They don't have the code anymore. Just a bad port for Windows 2000 and an ISO rip from 2009.
>>
File: 1468742784946.jpg (132 KB, 1000x716)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>431546256
This thread is so biased. If anyone says anything negative about this game they are told they are wrong or stupid. It's not a great game and doesn't need to be upheld past cult classic status.
Personally for me was Rinoa. I couldn't stand her part in the game and the whole amnesia and orphanage plot was lazy writing. Honestly the game feels unfinished.
>>
>>431569519
once a rule is there you can't change it without doing the Queen of Cards sidequest. Best bet is whenever you challenge someone in a new area and they offer to mix the rules, decline. Keep talking and quitting until they just offer to play cards. That way you keep your normal rules and don't have that Random shit waiting for you everywhere you go
>>
>>431569382
>slap her
I don't remember this one.
>>
>>431547221
Actually this, this happens with a lot of games nowadays.
>>
>>431569519
You wanted it short. Here's more detailed.

Rules spread/abolish according to the region you play in.
The first region you start playing in is Balamb, so as soon as you reach a region that isn't Balamb, the character you're playing against says,
>I notice you're playing with rules from a different region. Mind if we mix rules?
Once that happens, NEW rules will show up alongside your own.
If these new rules SUCK ASS, choose not to play. When you select "quit" there's a 4/6 chance one of those rules will "spread" in the new region or one of those rules will be "abolished" from that new region.
But that's RNG, so save your game and be prepared to re-start if a rule you don't like spread or if a rule you do like got abolished.

If you don't see what you want to spread, go to a region you know has that rule and play a few games. Then go back to the region you want that rule to spread to and try again.
If you don't see a rule you want abolished, congratulations. Keep it that way.
>>
VIII is a lot like X-2 in that there is a really good story going on AROUND the retarded main character's bullshit.

If you ignore the Charlies Angels and do more than just the hotspots, X-2 is pretty good. Baralai, Nooj and Gippal's story is almost deep and meaningful.

Same with 8
>>
>>431569559
>If anyone says anything negative about this game they are told they are wrong or stupid.
It's practically unanimous that the two most hated things about FF8
>Amnesiatic Orphans
>Blitzkrieg Romance of Squanoa
are, indeed, disliked. No one is called stupid or wrong for thinking that.

So you're wrong and stupid.
>>
>>431546256
>Why is Final Fantasy VIII so hated?
The vocal minority is not most people, anon.
>>
Tetra Master > Triple Triad
>>
File: 1504458989898.jpg (534 KB, 953x953)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
>>
I LOVE RINOA
>>
>>431570849
So are you saying that FF8 has a plot that reads like it was written by an angsty 14 year old who thought he was "woke" about politics?
>>
>>431571273
It looks like he's saying a sequel that doesn't copy the previous video game is reviled.

Or that FF8 was written with a different story in mind?
>>
>>431571183
She was super cool in Dead Fantasy
>>
File: 1521096189375.jpg (369 KB, 642x955)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>431571472
Aww man, I forgot about that and Haloid. I think it outright copied something in one of the videos but it was still cool to watch.

Gonna rewatch those now.
>>
The world of FFVIII fucking sucks

Think about the world building that VII, X, and XII had and then look at VIII
>>
>>431571471
Bruh MGS2 being a direct copy of MGS1 was a major plot point.
>>
>>431571618
FF8 was post apocalypse, the Sorceress War made WW1 and WW2 look like school yard scraps
>>
File: agnesskaku.png (55 KB, 675x382)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>431570849
FF8 confirmed shit
>>
>>431570849
>can't defend ff8 against ff7
>decides to defend MGS2 against MGS1 instead
>>
>>431550543
>Final Fantasy VII is for newfags.
ftfy
>>
File: 1511551513367.gif (2.26 MB, 296x217)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB GIF
I always found it hilarious that Laguna records a movie where he's protecting a sorceress

Like didn't Adell JUST threaten to destroy humanity?
>>
>>431571915
>Final Fantasy VI is for newfags
ftfy
>>
>>431571618
It actually had a fair amount of worldbuilding, it only had issues like an orphanage situated in a completely desolate continent with no other human presence whatsoever, and whatever nonsense allowed Galbadia to salvage the Lunatic Pandora from the sea completely in secret without triggering an instant world war against Esthar.
>>
Hey anons what mods should be downloaded for the PC version? Want to play it through the winter.
>>
>>431572019
No anon. No. Emulate the playstation version and save yourself the grief
>>
>>431547749
The fuck are you on about, I had 100 Death spells junctioned onto Selphie for a 50% Death on Hit effect; and Quistis had a buttload of Blue Mage spells like Bad Breath even before I left the fucking academy.
>>
>>431570849
Quality post disguised as shitpost
>>
>>431572189
>I had 100 Death spells junctioned onto Selphie for a 50% Death on Hit effect

Are you retarded, what the fuck. You're supposed to Card enemies, not kill them. You want your level low, moron
>>
File: Rinoa_Sketch.jpg (115 KB, 520x736)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>431572019
Roses and Wine is obligatory, it replaces the shitty midi files with higher quality ones from the official OST. That's the only one you need since the Steam version is a good port, you could download a texture mod if you want higher quality models or something like that.
>>
I remember loading up FF8 for the first time.
It felt so surreal playing as realistically proportioned characters with relatively realistic designs. The pre-rendered backgrounds too. Felt like I was playing Resident Evil.
>>
>>431571981
Thanks
>>
>FF7
>cutscene ends
>the characters disappear up Cloud's ass
>FF8 learned their lesson
>have them autistically run directly behind Squall instead
>>
File: Pants.png (95 KB, 270x582)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>431571948
I can't remember if it was actually a Sorceress or if it was a Princess. But he took the job because he needed money and the Timber Maniacs articles made the deal. And even though Adel was coming into a political revulsion, he wasn't personally invested in that, yet.

I hope you notice something about his pose, there, btw.
Or maybe something about this image?
>>
>>431572019
DO NOT play the PC version. It's dogshit.
EMULATE an ISO of the original.
>>
>>431573229

>Galbadian soldier praises them for it
>>
File: tfw no gf.jpg (2 KB, 125x107)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>431572339
>You want your level low, moron
It doesn't matter. Your level just meant the enemies had more options. They couldn't compare to what your junctioned stats looked like.

Level low or high was irrelevant. The game's "difficulty" was directly tied to how well you junctioned your many secretly drawn GFs.
>>
File: FF8 GF.png (307 KB, 500x463)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
>>431573296
>>
>>431569338
>just one Ultima
Pathetic.
>>
/r/ing that “best looking guy” image
>>
>>431546256
I dont hate VIII I just know that VII and IX are superior titles in the franchise and of those (the big 3) only the other 2 are worth re-playing. Once you know the cheese in VIII there's no real going back, and even though VII had its fair share of nomuras belt-itis that set the spark for emo gamers, that general style he's been known for was peaked at VIII and I'm just completely over it at this point.

VII does dark and gritty better, IX does light hearted fantasy better. VIII is just the awkard middle child, but its certainly not anything to hate the game for. Most people who played it first prefer it to the other 2 of the big 3, but that adage goes for each of them as well.
>>
>>431573413
>>431572094
What's wrong with the PC version other than the improper midi format?
>>
>>431573893
The backgrounds vanish all the fucking time on the world map
>>
File: 1289976746735.jpg (115 KB, 684x552)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>431554185
>implying Squall isn't the most Chad protagonist in the series

Cucks Seifer
Expert dancer via observatory skills
Balls hard AF to assassinate Edea end of Disc 1
Delivers speeches so rad it saves hot dogs and gardens alike
Says fuck memories we have a job to do
Expert card player
Takes over the Garden then ditches that bitch for pussy
Dad runs the most advanced city on the planet
Magic is for scrubs I'mma grab meteors from this rock
Travels through time and space to slap some Witch cunt
Style for days
Gets the girl
>>
>>431568754
S-sauce?
>>
>>431573951
That never happened in the version I played more than 10 years ago
>>
Squall is basically what everyone thought Cloud was.
>>
>>431573951
That seems more like incompatibility issues. So many of the PC games in the 90s and early 00s doesn't work properly on more modern systems.
>>
>>431573683
>me when I find out you fucked my gf before me
>>
>>431573951
Not that anon but I bought the game on the steam sale. I think I'll give the game a few hours of playing and then compaire to the ISO, hopefully there isn't too much of a difference.
>>
>>431573893
It was an outsourced port (like all Square decisions) that had poor code which corrupted and glitched frequently. The music is also a WILDLY large flaw.

The PSOne ISO rips they did years later is mostly fine, though.
>>
>>431554185
>Relationship with Rinoa is extremely forced
>Relationship with Garnet progresses naturally and in a believable manner
There are people out there that legitimately think this and it scares me.
>>
>>431546256
Because the plot makes no sense whatsoever, the characters are all fucking retarded, it has the most forced and stupid "plot twist" ever and the draw system is garbage. The only good things about it are the music and the triple triad minigame.
>>
Zell can run so fast he can circumnavigate the world in 2 seconds when using his limit break

Why is he such a fucking pussy any other time
>>
>>431574110
>>431574271
>>431574418
It's because the Steam/PSN was the ISO rips, not the PC port made for Windows 2000.

Those are okay, though they need a patch, too. The Windows 2000 port is hot trash and everyone knows it.
>>
>>431546256
The only thing it really excelled at was the card game (Triple Triad). In my experience, most people that remember FFVIII fondly, do so because it was their first Final Fantasy game so it had a bigger impact on them.
>>
>>431574538
I don't remember those issue.

its more like >>431574271
Hence why GoG had to modify many of the older games for compatibility.
>>
>>431549864
>"WE'RE ALL FROM THE SAME ORPHANAGE OH MY GOD WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!111"
>dropped.

FFVIII was the victim of Square's ego after FFVII was a smash. It was a tech demo and cock waving. They story seemed to be an afterthought.
>>
>>431570849
Should be more like:
>MGS1 and FFVII
The original titles that exposed many to the genre and caused them to fall in love with it. The foundation of each respective series (FF in the 3D realm not in general of course given older games) that mostly oldfags and traditionalists enjoy the most. Nostalgia plays a heavier role in appreciating these games due to how they aged comparatively to their successor titles.
>MGS2 and FFVIII
The bastard middle child that only really gets a lot of love from contrarians because the established formula was tweaked severely enough to cause a divide in the fanbase that developed from the previous titles. People either loved it or hated it and there's little in the way of inbetweens, but both had their own unique devices and takes on the original formulas that were either hit or miss.
>MGS3 and FFIX
Formula refined and essentially perfected, arguably the best installments of the series for a myriad of both mechanical and literary reasons, well cherished by almost all fans of the series save contrarians, and most likely to be the favorite of either hardcore fans or secondaries.
>>
>>431575010
I'm pretty sure that was the first time I ever facepalmed in real life.
>>
File: rinoa-chan.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
The world needs more Rinoa
>>
File: 1521634625941.jpg (1.22 MB, 1920x1080)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>431558245
>He, like nearly all the characters in FFVIII, is extremely well-written.

Whoops. Seemed I've stepped into a YLYL thread on accident.
>>
>>431546256
It's biggest flaw was not making Seifer a playable character, but pretty good overall.
>>
>>431574593
>Because the plot makes no sense whatsoever
The plot is very easy to understand. You are a mercenary hired to kill a sorceress.

>the characters are all fucking retarded
They're all well-written tropes, actually. Genuine issues, motivations and issues, all with growth over the course of the game. There are flaws, of course; it's not perfect.

>it has the most forced and stupid "plot twist" ever
This is a very hyperbolic statement that is immediately dismissable, but I wonder what "twist" you are referring to? If you mean the fact that Guardian Forces remove your memories and as a result the cast of mercenaries are revealed to once have been under the care of the sorceress they were ordered to kill back when they were small children for a small time...then yes, that is a contrived plot twist that isn't well-received. I will say, however, it's a pointless plot element that has practically zero bearing on the story at all and promptly forgotten after its mentioned. It is by no means an important element or twist in the story of FF8.

>the draw system is garbage
It's the most easily understood, simple and slow. It's also not the only way to acquire magic in the game.

And yes, the OST and card game are wonderful.
>>
>>431575295
The biggest flaw was the half-assed translation, in my opinion. I think the way a lot of people feel about the writing, story, and characters is really the result of a shit translation. There's so much of FFVIII-US that makes no sense because of it.

For example, the scene when Seifer first encounters Edea and she convinces him to follow her? The entire scene in English is just line after line of "WTF?" because Seifer's actions make no sense at all, but it flows perfectly in Japanese and everything is explained (or implied) much clearer. And a lot of Squall's cringiest lines are fine in Japanese and not cringy at all.
>>
FF8 is bad because it's in the middle of the superior PS FF's, if this came out between FF11 and FF12 it would be a top tier game.
>>
>>431575673
FFVII was way worse for that though, I thought translation for VIII was fine, and it would only be a problem for one version of the game, Seifer would have fixed the bigger problem of no one really liking any of the party members, especially the guys.
>>
File: 1508439170629.jpg (42 KB, 500x489)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>431575938
This guy are sick
>>
File: FFIX_Despair.jpg (28 KB, 540x405)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>431569051
>>
>>431575791
If it came out between 11 and 12 it'd just be more evidence of Squeenix being a fuck up. Honestly, the game has some good ideas, but it spends more time fucking up or forgetting its good ideas than it does actually having them.
>>
>>431572339
That's what I meant. I carded everyone and played so much fucking Triple Triad that the gameplay and grinding was pretty much replaced by carding and Triple Triad. And it was fairly brainless.
>>
All Final Fantasy's between 4 and 10 are great and I don't hate any of them. 8 might be the weakest in that lot but it's easily better than 1, 2, 3, 11, 12 and 13.
>>
The characters-- sans Squall are all horrible.

At first, I thought Squall was kind of a dick, but it actually makes sense for him to be one-- his entire crew is full of idiots.

>Zell
Dumb, obnoxious and annoying.
>Selfie
She's probably the only other decent party memeber, she's quirky and annoying, but she gets shit done when she has to.
>Quistis
How did this idiot become a teacher. They tried really hard to remake Tifa and they failed miserably.
>Rinoa
Boy... oh boy. Damsel in distress that puts herself in the position for everything. The dumbest member of the party. Completely unlikable, daddy's little girl, who can't sit back and let the people who were actually trained-- do their jobs. Just a vapid attention whore that really doesn't fit in the main heroine role for a story about war.
>Irvine
Another retard. You pick him up and he can't even do the task he's needed for. Generic "Ladies man" who can't pick up any girls. He just comes off as awkward. Waits until Disc 2 to reveal this GF shit-- which is a whole story of its own.

The part that infuriates me the most is when Squall is developing his character by coming out his shell and leading the entire school as they're getting attacked from Galbadia Soldiers. Then, the stupid-ass cunt Rinoa, gets her dumbass captured even though she could've just stayed with the kids. The rest of the party is so incompetent that they couldn't save her, and have the nerve to yell at Squall while he has to worry about all the fucking students. Squall leaves his post, after being chastised, and saves the dumb cunt.

The one thing KH did was fix Squall's character by mainly removing all the other FFVIII people and having him be a stoic leader.

If VIII didn't have a shoe-in love story, and was more about a guy realizing he has the potential to lead against his sorceress foster-mommy- it would've been regarded as a much better game. Shit, they keep talking about remaking VII, when VIII needs a plot overhaul.
>>
>>431576664
>8 weaker than 6

my dude, seek help
>>
>>431576461
This is the funniest picture of the entire series. Freya's entire character is such a joke.
>>
>>431546256
I'm pretty sure it was a case of people expecting FFVII-2 and instead getting something different.
>>
>>431576771
>core concept is not wanting to be forgotten
>game forgets she exists after Disk 2

Savage
>>
>>431576736
6 is a better game and one of the stats didn't even work in the original game, let that sink in.
>>
>>431576674
>>Irvine
>Another retard. You pick him up and he can't even do the task he's needed for.
That's not because he's retarded but because he faintly remembers Edea.
>>
>>431546256
If you're one of those people who like to break games, it's fun. Otherwise it's just okay but carried by the top tier soundtrack and cozy atmosphere. Was going to say that Squall is underrated as a FF protag but /v/'s one of the few places that seems to generally like him.
>>
>>431577025
After that, he's completely useless to the party. It would also help if he was constantly trying to stop the party along the way, instead he goes along until the last minute. It's written really poorly. Same thing with him being able to equip GF's in the first place, he should be blocked from using them-- like, "N-nah, not for me" in the menu. Instead it just comes off as a twist for the sake of a twist. I don't think most people would've minded it, if it didn't just come out of nowhere. And yes, most people are aware that you could read the module, but it's not even a highlighted point in it. It's just mentioned as nothing important.

I like Squall, but the rest of the characters are just awful. By proxy, he comes off as awful because he has to deal with these idiots. KH did his character much better, and it's the character that is consistent in all of his crossover games for a reason.
>>
>>431577038
Get a spellchecker
>>
>>431546256
I liked Squall, Selphie, Zell, Quistis and Laguna's character group. I can't stand Rinoa she is a manipulative character and I don't like her. The dog arm cannon looks stupid every time I see it. I wish some of the cast was smaller to focus on the characters and have maybe better backgrounds and character development.
Amnesia? Orphanage? Really? Any game with time travel is going to hurt people's heads but I feel the game fell apart by Disc 2. Everything from Disc 1 to Disc 2 feels almost like two different games.
I liked the " Danger Room " the Seeds could train in and the school setting was kinda cool but quickly abandoned aside from driving a school?
Battle system: Junctioning is not easy or hard but it was not fun for me. I didn't like this mechanic back then and I still don't. Some people like enemies scaling to your level but I don't like it in any game. I don't like the Draw system and I remember spending most of the game collecting spells and it felt like padding that could have added more locations to the map or story.
I hate how the last battle picks your party randomly and since I leveled up really high I got my ass stomped using characters that I didn't normally use and after ten attempts on three forms I just stopped caring. I didn't care about junctioning anymore I just put the game down and I am still let down by it.
The music was amazing and the cut scenes are classic but the plot and the battle system makes it my least favorite Final Fantasy entry.
>>
>>431559835
If Squall is still in the next KH then they need to add Rinoa too to bully him.
>>
>>431577038
>IXfag can't even copypaste
lmao. Go jack off to a black mage or something.
>>
>>431565865
>Cloud limit break
>single use with no utility
>Squall limit break
>Watch me style on a nigga
>>
So was Rinoa Ultimecia or what? Why was her GF called the same as Squall's lion thingy?
>>
>>431575590
>The plot is very easy to understand. You are a mercenary hired to kill a sorceress.
>why is an inexperienced teenager taking the shot?
>why doesn't that retard say that the person he's being hired to kill is his foster mother?
>why does fucking Quistis, who is supposed to be the mature and smart one there suddenly decide to turn back to fucking apologize in the middle of a fucking coordinated mission?
I could go on forever, especially because that's probably the least nonsensical part of the game, don't get me started on the Jabba the hut wannabe that lives in the basement of the academy, the academies being flying ships, going into space for no reason and all the bullshit that happens there, including all the monsters of the world periodically dropping en masse from the Moon? WHAT? And all the space time nonsense with the witches. And of course, yes, the part where they all knew each other because they all grew up together. God, that's so mindblowingly retarded I can't even...
>>
>>431578498
too bad 8 got lazy when it came to every other action in the game. It;s sad that they didn't give unique animations to abilities like Mug/Steal
>>
>>431578664
She's a witch. Squall is the legendary SEED who she's afraid of. Griever is something she pulled out of Squall's mind and made into a reality. She also does this in the battle by removing your magic, it's canon.
>>
>>431578814
Quistis had been a fully qualified mercenary since 15, she was made an instructor at 17 and was fucking 18 when she led the Sorceress mission.

Mature is relative, she was still a fucking kid too
>>
File: ff in kh.jpg (29 KB, 607x160)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>431578295
She's been hinted hasn't she? Not like FF characters are that relevant in KH, they have Dissidia for the crossovers, but it would be nice if they didn't leave Squall alone with the FF7 cast
>>
>>431578992
>She's been hinted hasn't she?
Since when?
>>
File: 17060148_p28.png (297 KB, 480x640)
297 KB
297 KB PNG
>>431578814
>why does fucking Quistis, who is supposed to be the mature and smart one there suddenly decide to turn back to fucking apologize in the middle of a fucking coordinated mission?
Because she's not, that's why she was demoted of her instructor role at the very start of the game and Squall takes her place. She let her emotions take over because she's not actually that smart nor mature.
>why doesn't that retard say that the person he's being hired to kill is his foster mother?
Explained later.
>why is an inexperienced teenager taking the shot?
Not inexperienced.
>>
>>431578992
The thing is, Aerith and Yuffie do what Rinoa does, and they do it better. Squall doesn't need Rinoa in KH-verse because he's already competent at what he does, and doesn't have useless fucks like Rinoa around to slow him down.
>>
>>431579149
iirc he says he's looking for someone when you meet him and he gets a letter in kh2. Been a lot I don't remember well
>>
>>431579246
Dead fantasy Rinoa, uber sorceress
>>
>>431578990
So she's been a mercenary for 2 whole years and a fucking instructor for another one. Meaning she's by far the most experienced person in the group and somebody who shouldn't be stopping in the middle of a fucking mission to assasinate somebody in order to issue an apology to another fucking schoolgirl.
>>
>>431579246
>useless fucks like Rinoa
Well, technically she's supposed to be some super powerful sorceress by the end of the game, but I see your point.
>>
>>431546256
Rinoa is used goods and squall is a cuck
>>
>>431579246
Slow him down on what? Retard
>>
>>431578498
He styled so hard whenever he could
>>431558245
>>
>>431579479
Hell she could at least be around for emotional support.
>>
Squall was a mercenary, showing off and intimidating your foes is part of the job description.

Cloud was at best a soldier, in reality he was a corporate security guard. Job was to kill shit quick and efficient
>>
Can someone simplify the gist of the gameplay? Am I supposed to draw on every monster until I I max that magic then junction it to whatever? What if I play without drawing much, will the game be harder
>>
>>431579410
Squall has Merlin.

>>431579479
Rinoa adds nothing. There's a reason she and the rest of VIII's party are barely included in anything else-- they make Squall less competent just by association. They put Squall with Yuffie and Aerith in KH and they do everything that VIII's characters couldn't do.
>>
>>431579883
Pretty much, yes. You don't really need to do it for every stat or get all of them at the same time and later on you get items you can turn into spells, but yeah, it fucking sucks.
>>
>>431579883
No. Drawing is for mugs. You use Refine abilities to turn items into spells. Those fish things you fight on Balamb beach, they drop Fish Fins. A Fish Fin can be turned into 20 Water spells. With 100 Water spells junctioned to strength you are Mr 1-hit-KO for a lot of the early game. And that's jsut basic stuff.

You can also win at cards and use the Card abilitiy to defeat enemies instead of killing them by turning them into yet more cards. Then you use Card Mod to turn cards into items and repeat step 1.
>>
>>431579883
Learn refining abilities from your GFs.
Refine magic from items/cards/other magic.
Get the things you need to refine by buying/fighting/playing cards or turning monsters into/sidequests.

Fucking hell how can people not understand the gameplay? It's so simple. No wonder they dumbed down IX so much.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (391 KB, 1583x2000)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>431574086
>>
>>431580221
>literally speedrun strats
That doesn't stop the game from fucking sucking balls because the very first thing everybody naturally does after getting the drawing tutorial is try to draw spells till you max them.
>>
>>431579976
She is Squall other half of course she adds
>>
Junctions must look weird in-game. Like you junction Break to your Vitality and suddenly you can take shotguns to the face and not even flinch.

Or you junction Demi to Elem-Attack and now your fists/sword/nunchucks are wreathed in black hole energy
>>
>>431580679
>Junction 100 Death to sword
>sword has a chance to kill Earth when set down.
>>
>>431580815
>Zell junctions death
>h=jacks off
>now infertile
>>
>>431578664
Rinoa Heartilly
>Daughter to General Caraway, the military commanding officer of the Galbadian army. She feels he's both antagonistic to her world values and that he's overprotective. She's EXTREMELY spoiled and rebellious.
>Daughter to Julia Heartilly, the lounge singer Laguna once courted in his soldier days. Rinoa took her last name to hide her identity and make her dad upset.
>Rinoa is the leader of the "Timber Owls", a resistance group in the town of Timber trying to gain independence from Galbadia and also coming up with a plan to kill Mayor Deling and Sorceress Edea. Turns out, there's 3 people in this resistance group and they're all teen-aged morons.

Ultimecia
>A Sorceress from hundreds years into the future. She specializes in Time manipulation magic
>She knows of the prophecy that she will be killed by a "legendary SeeD" and hates it. She decides to live her life killing absolutely every SeeD she ever finds and anyone who threatens her, becoming paranoid to the extreme.
>Comes up with a plan after learning of Ellone's existence (a girl with the ability to force consciousness to travel back in time) that, since she cannot avoid this prophecy of death from the legendary SeeD, she will use Time Kompression to compress all of time into a single point. She will live forever, die forever. Immortality.
>To begin this plan, she possesses a sorceress in the time when Ellone exists. That sorceress is Edea. The plan is set in motion.

No: Rinoa was not Ultimecia. Rinoa DID become a sorceress after inheriting Edea's powers she she is practically killed (though Edea does survive).
But this point right here is the biggest reason people think "Rinoa=Ultimecia". It's because Edea inherited Ultimecia's powers (on top of her own) when Ultimecia was killed in the Time Kompression. And those powers go to Rinoa...they place the link. In the end, Rinoa likely dies and passes her powers on in the regular fashion.

As for Griever, it's just a concept.
>>
>>431580815
>practice against a fellow SeeD like Squall and Seifer in the beginning
>forget you had Death junctioned
>fucking kill him
>>
>>431569382
literally all but one (or two, being generous) of those are wrong.
>>
>>431581004
Death is only 50%, the lesser ones like blind and poison are 100%. YOu can flick someone and give them the plague
>>
>>431569449
Are you retarded? Those are not "remasters", they literally ruin the game by stretching and filtering some textures, while leaving the rest low res and blurry. The only correct way FF8 should be played is on original hardware on a CRT. Knowing that this game has been left alone in its perfection until today is bliss.
>>
>>431581412
So, let's talk GFs. Most of them make some kind of sense. You summon them, they come out and attack or cause some effect and leave.

Eden, BENDS SPACE AND TIME AROUND THE WORLD TO SHOOT A GODDAM T-REX INTO ANOTHER UNIVERSE CAUSING IT TO SUPERNOVA!

And nobody brings it up.
>>
File: 1424501737552.jpg (66 KB, 500x540)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>431581280
I think the pic is supposed to be a joke, or at least the space out line sounds like a pun.
>>
>>431581608
gf is merely a gameplay and story contrivance. don't think about it too much.
>>
>>431570014
8 is a unique masterpiece, x-2 is a horrible abomination, cash-grab, asset recycle, character destruction, degenerate dress-up game with asinine completion mechanics and extremely uninspired mini-games. There is no comparison and even implying otherwise is being medically retarded. I am sorry for you.
>>
File: 1458108868454.jpg (121 KB, 602x747)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>431581608
Same reason Sephiroth destroys the solar system but not really. Rule of cool.
>>
>>431581708
A sad lack of Rinoa and Squall stuff
>>
>>431576674
>They tried really hard to remake Tifa and they failed miserably.
What? Please elaborate how you arrived at this conclusion for her intent. I'm really curious. Is it just the motherly/sisterly thing? Or being a wallflower?

To me Rinoa was a combination of Aerith and Tifa [also Yuffie, since her starting Job (in the context of VIII's abstract Jobs, Zell a Monk, Selphie a gambler etc.) was a ninja, because chakram-like weapon and a dog companion.].
>>
>>431581608
That's just window dressing. The really fun thing about GFs is that they render you indestructible whilst you're summoning them, because for that period their health bar replaces yours.

You can jump out of a plane freefall, summon Ifrit at the last second, hit the ground at terminal velocity and get up like nothing happened because the GF took the hit for you.

The GF offer crazy utility as well as raw power, it's no wonder SeeD are considered the world's most elite military force.
>>
File: 68648974_p0.jpg (106 KB, 700x800)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>431581923
There's plenty of Squall x Rinoa, try Pixiv.
>>
>>431582154
A better couple than Cloud and Tifa
>>
>>431546256
Because alot of people didn't understand the junction system their first time through.
Also, Laguna, Kiros and Ward are better characters, have a better story, and the game would have been better had it just been about them.
>>
>>431570832
said no one ever

>>431571618
"World-building" is a buzzword. The world of FF8 is the most beautiful one, which makes it more memorable for many people. I would take Balamb over any area in 7, and FF12 isn't even a final fantasy, regardless the name they slapped it with.
>>
>>431546256
- slow pacing
- going from materia to the "draw" system
- Crafting weapons instead of buying them
- junction system was badly thought out making you feel like you had to draw every single enemy to min max stats.
- Squal has the likeability of a house brick.
- Quistis is the real eye candy, yet rinoa is the one forced in your face..
and my biggest reason for hating it.... those fucking laguna flash back dream scenes constantly interrupting the flow of the game...
>>
>>431582284
A location is not a world you fucking retard.
>>
>>431581608
Hmm, you know from another perspective, Eden does seem to stop time. So maybe it just looks like the T-Rex floats into the sky and disappears, and nobody really knows what Eden does.
>>
File: 70618373_p1.png (389 KB, 750x800)
389 KB
389 KB PNG
>>431582206
>>
>>431582019
Or take Tonberry. He allows you to summon an item shop from nowhere and then has an ability that makes you supernaturally better at bartering to get reduced prices from this ghostly shopkeeper. Diablos lets you become invisible to the monsters that plague the world.

Even the suite of standard 3 GF a SeeD grad has make you superhumanly strong (Ifrit), monstrously resilient to harm (Shiva) and hyper intelligent (Quezacotl), putting aside all the other mad shit they let you do.
>>
File: Esthar2.png (151 KB, 340x239)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
Laguna is a Trump that made it
>>
>>431582284
How can you consider XII not a Final Fantasy game but have no problem with the dieselpunk environmentalist piece and the modern fantasy love story?
>>
>>431574046
>Balls hard AF to assassinate Edea end of Disc 1
When his buddy gets cold feet he tells him it's fine in a fatherly tone, then fucking jumps off the building, hijacks a car and drives through a crowd in the capital of the enemy territory to murder his target, his own fucking mother, and complete the mission.
What a motherfucking badass.
>>
>>431582284
>"World-building" is a buzzword
"World-building" is a term of art that applies especially to fantasy and sci-fi fiction that is set in an alternate reality from our own. It's a term that refers to the techniques and details used to establish the alternate reality as distinct and coherent. I haven't actually played those other games anon is talking about so I have no idea how FF8's world building compares, but it's not just a meaningless buzzword.
>>
>>431582635
There are some many things wrong with that sentence.
>>
File: PzlsQC3.png (417 KB, 599x400)
417 KB
417 KB PNG
>>431582635
>>
>>431582595
XII has to borrow from the spin off Tactics series but even then it's probably the most boring incarnation of Ivalice.
>>
>>431582963
FFII was boring as well, but it's still an FF game
>>
>>431549864
So you think FF7, a square-enix rpg has "substance" in comparison? Pretty dumb ideas you got there.
>>
File: 70595538_p35.png (417 KB, 800x600)
417 KB
417 KB PNG
>>
>>431583208
Compared to every other game they've come out with? Yes.
>>
>>431546349
too kino for *Square Enix
>>
>>431570849
>MGS2 is my favorite MGS game, FFVIII is my favorite FF game
>Didn't start playing either series until after 2010

sheeeeeeeeit
>>
>>431560798
I haven't seen any Spoony video other than Ultima.
What did he say?
>>
>>431583670
He just rags on Squall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFTkY0IFL1g
>>
>>431583524
It's a matter of perspective. Talking of writing, both games are trash compared to literature. Talking of gameplay, as jRPGs they're trash compared to real games. It's nonsensical to say one has "better substance" when they're both objectively trash compared to liberal arts. Square JRPGs are about atmosphere and style, in that they can compete with anything else. Saying FF8 has better style is the same as saying it's the superior game. Any other argument is dumb.
>>
File: 15615656.jpg (29 KB, 516x513)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>431546256
I just realized this is the only classic FF not ported to iOS/Android.
ALMOST ALL BIG SE GAMES ARE THERE!
Do Japanese players ignore FF8 like the west?
>>
File: FFVIIIgirls.jpg (26 KB, 285x348)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>431546256
>>431583941
It's one of those "I see game screenshot/art, makes me think of simpler times" games.
Say what you will about the actual RPG stuff, the atmosphere and presentation (audio/visual stuff) will forever be 11/10 for me
>>
File: Total Failure.jpg (153 KB, 480x320)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>431583563
>MGS2 is my favorite MGS game
>>
>>431583941
The facility that stored its original code burned to the ground in a fire nearly 2 decades ago.

They cannot port the original code: it no longer exists.

They only have the Windows 2000 port made by an outsourced company (and it's SHIT) and ISO rips of the discs for PSN/Steam (which still needs patching).
>>
File: 5754634523.jpg (643 KB, 2162x1535)
643 KB
643 KB JPG
>>431546256
We got this over a completed Xenogears.
>>
So if Balamb is the only Garden that used GF, what did the other two do?>
>>
>>431546948
>battle system was very different and could be easily abused
all people did for the longest time was spam GF's and then complain about the battle system being bad because nobody understood you were supposed to equip magic to build your stats. So basically the only reason this game was hated was just because it was different to what people were used to and that is it.
>>
>>431584718
Galbadia also uses them, you fight one when you raid the garden.
>>
>>431584732
People don't like it because poorly explain and handle.
>>
>>431584732
>using GF doesn't get you any SeeD XP
>REEEEEEEEEE WHY DOES MY RANK KEEP GOING DOWN!!
>>
>>431584891
The Sorceress brought Cerberus and the monsters. Galbadia doesn't use GF, only SeeD do and SeeD only graduate from Balamb (it's why Selphie transferred)
>>
>>431584947
This, but on the other hand, once you know how it works, the game because an absolute joke. Just toss everything into evade, get yourself to low hp and spam Renzokuken.
>>
>>431585098
>Renzokuken
>not the Zell punch-kick 90 million times combo
>>
>>431584480
>The facility that stored its original code burned to the ground in a fire nearly 2 decades ago.
Hot damn...
> ISO rips of the discs for PSN/Steam (which still needs patching)
How so? What's missing in them?
>>
>>431546256
interesting concepts but botched execution
some of the worst romantic development in FF history (and yet still better than 15's romance)
shitty plot twists (the asspulls of "bad guy is actually someone from he future" and "we all grew up in the same orphanage")
>>
>>431585491
Orphanage makes sense. They all have these unclear, weird emotions for one another in a culture (japanese) where emotions are for the weak
>>
>>431584483
Square never manged a project properly. I bet it would've been botched even without it
>>
>>431582540
>/pol/ forcing themselves into another thread
>>
>>431584483
You mean the complete trash game that got its devs booted out of Square to make a whole series of impossibly trashy games made entirely of cutscenes that no one played? Sheesh, i wonder why.
>>
>>431546256
It created one of the most interesting systems among JRPGs at the time.

But didn't balance it out and instead of fixing its glaring flaws like how fucking piss easy it is to break, they add grinding into equation. Let's be honest, you either grind magic, either grind cards, it's same fucking thing.

Personally, I think Junctioning would have been more welcomed if they removed drawing magic and replaced it like magic is derived from the GFs. As you junction GF to a character you already have 100 of certain magic (like, let's say you took Ifrit and by junctioning him if you choose to keep Magic command, you have at your disposal 100 Fires. If you use Fire during battle it makes stat you junctioned Fire to weaker. After battle Fire is restored to 100. Usage of Fire is not a single digit, depending on your Spirit and Luck stat you will use any number from 1 to 11).

I would also argue that it'd probably make sense to limit how many GFs you can equip to a character. I think 3 GFs per character is more than enough, I think most people I know give most GFs to Squall regardless.

And same thing can be said about story, it has probably most interesting and unique twists on self-fulfilling prophecies and incredibly unique villain Ultimecia. She is not kind of villain who would waste her time on explaining her plans for heroes to come up with counter-measure, she simply does what she thinks she needs to survive because to her you are the hunter. The plot is also full of interesting character arcs and characterizations like Squall's introvertness and Ellone's clinging onto memories of the past.

And then there is one of the worst romance stories in video games before FFX. I honestly kind of dug them two together as a kid, but growing up and replaying the game their romance thing just doesn't fit, it doesn't make much sense. I think relationship between Laguna and Rinoa's mother and how Rinoa and Squall might have been siblings is just who gives a fuck material.
>>
>>431571669
>Bruh MGS2 being a direct copy of MGS1 was a major plot point.

Yeah, afterall the events of the game was the Solid Snake Simulation
>>
>>431585491
I think it's the best romance in FF imo
Some people just miss a lot of innuendoes going on in the game
>>
>>431586270
>Some people just miss a lot of innuendoes going on in the game

I think it's because people don't want to use that piece of shit Rinoa
>>
>>431546349
Fpbp, it’s got the most intricate character development system
>>
>bawwwwwww junctioning breaks the game
They dont do it and play normally. The option is there. FFVIII was a great improvement over VII especially in art direction (no more chibified shit).
>>
File: 0131.5faf6de.png (16 KB, 128x128)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>431586690
You seem frustrated friend
>>
>>431585440
ISOs are just compressed 1s&0s, it's not the uncompressed, raw Master Copy of the data or materials. What we have is just emulation of an emulation. We don't have the the exact way to decompress that compressed data, the correct procedure or pathing to launch or execute files.

The ISOs are close, but it's like making a poster from a postage stamp and more complicated. So SE just says "fuck it" and leave it at that.
>>
>>431586937
Playing normally forces you to use GF's because they put some shit level scaling into the game for some reason.
The best way to play it without junction or GF is to just run from every battle.
>>
File: okay, two things.jpg (66 KB, 800x800)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>431585925
>they add grinding into equation.
They explictly designed FF8 so you wouldn't grind. You'd just play.

People like you are morons who decide that because you CAN grind, you HAVE to grind.
You don't.
>>
>>431587096
>forces you
No. It doesn't.

You are not forced to use the Summon command.
>>
>>431586937
It's actually one of the things I feel fairly split about the game.

The game gives you great variety of ways to challenge yourself, however, these challenges for the most of the time are self-imposed.

It's same kind of frustration I had with FF X's "Expert" sphere grid. It literally doesn't fucking matter imo, y'all going to abuse AP trick and learn everything to everyone. It's neat that Dark Mage Yuna is actually far better than Lulu at it, but the line gets blurred regardless by end of the game.
>>
File: 66713397_p37.png (322 KB, 600x600)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
>>431586690
>not taking the person that you offered your services to with you at all times
Bad mercenary, bad knight.
>>
>>431587468
>Bad mercenary, bad knight.

because she is a bad character that I benched because I didn't like her
>>
>>431546256
Shit game
Shit plot
Among the worst FF games
>>
>>431587096
Pretty sure I played normally all the way up to Disc 3 without issues. Normal leveling, using GF and junction to get basic boosts and such. Not deliberatly spending hours drawing stuff to break the game.
>>
>>431546256
Because the story is absolute fucking dogshit.
>group of strangers team up
>"oh wow, we all just remembered we actually grew up together"
>"oh wow, we were all actually living in the same house when we were young"
>"oh wow, those pesky GF blocked our memories until this moment"
>"oh wow, our mother figure (which we also forgot all about) is actually the evil sorceress we're all trying to stop"
>"oh wow, the evil sorceress transcends time and space"
>>
>>431587838
all explained if you explore instead of just hotlining it to the story objectives
>>
>>431546256

>DURR I LIKE FF7 IM SUCH A GAMER!!!
>AMNESIA AND BEING LIKE YOUR FRIEND SO HE CAN LIVE THROUGH YOU
>ALIENS WOOOOOO

only stoned out weed heads like fucking ff7

it blows ass towards eight. eight is a masterpiece.
>>
>>431587838
>group of strangers team up
They aren't strangers, they are classmates from the same mercenary boarding school.

>"oh wow, we all just remembered we actually grew up together"
They didn't just remember it, in fact, Irvine straight up never forgot about it. They simply forgot they were friends at some point and realized that they found each other and became friends anew. There is a big difference between, it was to showcase that their childhoods played zero to no role how they became friends as adults.

>"oh wow, we were all actually living in the same house when we were young"
I mean, yeah, it was an orphanage during war. It's far-fetched, but so is magic.

>"oh wow, those pesky GF blocked our memories until this moment"
That one is a bit of hard to defend. It was foreshadowed throughout the game and I get the symbolic meaning behind it (they sacrifice baggage of the past to unhinge themselves and become stronger, it's kind of like, do you sometimes have those nights where your brain repeats one fucking mistake you did 15 years ago and it is still bothering you even though you can't do anything about it anymore like an embarrassing confession or presentation about video games, it's kind of like that, they actually have a way to actively forget about these things)

>"oh wow, our mother figure (which we also forgot all about) is actually the evil sorceress we're all trying to stop"
>Reading comprehension

>"oh wow, the evil sorceress transcends time and space"
EVIL SORCERESS IS LITERALLY TRYING TO COMPRESS THE TIME AND SPACE, NOT TRANSCEND IT, SHE QUITE FUCKING LITERALLY WANTS TO LIVE IN PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE OF TIME AT THE SAME TIME, NOT OUT OF TIME
>>
>>431546256

you have shit taste in video game music
>>
>>431586937
Even playing normally it you'll eventually will spam the strongest attacks(limits breaks) and almost never feel challenged.
>>
I wanna fuck Rinoa
>>
>>431589862
>wanting that jackass Seifer's sloppy seconds
>>
>>431590740
Frickin Seifer!
>>
>>431574334
>that backwards stab into front flip for extra slashes
K I N O
>>
>>431546256
It's too dumb.
Really liked breaking it tho.
>>
>>431587567
Does that mean you might agree with Spoony?
>>
>>431554185
Well you forgot that Zidane is literally a subhuman nigger monkey.
>>
>>431592072
Zidane is an ayy lmao
>>
I hope it comes to Switch
>>
Riona is one of the worst FF girls.
>>
File: 1519518111578.jpg (236 KB, 1280x800)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>431592218
He's literally Goku. They are exactly the same. Right down to the tail.
>>
>>431593102
False
>>
>>431594120
The scene during the SEED exam where Seifer, Squall and Zell are debating whether to go to the tower, I always hear that in Vegeta, Goku and Krillin's voices respectively.

It's really weird, I don't do it in the rest of the game.
>>
>>431564618
This is true, I played the game with Rinoa in my party ALL THE TIME and without her. If you don't have her in your party you miss a lot
>>
>>431593102
But you're wrong. She's not one of the worst, she's just the worst.
>>
>>431595281
It's the objective truth. Just accept it.
>>
>>431593102
she was still better than the dead pink dress slut.
>>
>>431595537
Nah.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.