[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Yup, it's me again
Post unpopular opinions regarding Smash now that we're past the direct

I'm SO fucking happy Isabelle got announced, not just because I like her and she looks interesting to play, but because she fucking btfo 'Boomer'fags, Hypefags AND Villian-theme fags
>>
>boomerfags
Inkling?
>villainfags
Inkling again? and Simon Belmont? and Echoes?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (252 KB, 645x582)
252 KB
252 KB PNG
I want Incineroar in Smash.
>>
File: Samus_SSBU.png (2.66 MB, 1581x2226)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB PNG
>>431573343
I'm happy Sakurai kept Other M's armor for Samus, since that's her best armor design. It makes her look agile and sleek, but retaining an armored feel all around.
>>
>>431573343
Me too.

It's annoying how people circlejerk the same group of 4 characters just so they can fit in.
>>
>>431573724
>Yay! K.Rool made it in! Sakurai made the meme become real!!

I saw that on YouTube comments once. People believed K.Rool was some random character everyone liked because of ironic memes, I bet it's the same for Skull Kid, Geno and Bandana Dee.
>>
I'd rather have unlockable alt costumes than trophies.
>>
I want more FE
>>
>>431573343
I was waiting for a New Animal Crossing game, Isabelle was like YOOO THE HELL, For me she's the cutest character on the roster now. And after they announced the new game I lost my nutz
>>
File: DgGbPN-UwAEe-oa.jpg (41 KB, 534x560)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>431573343
I agree, OP. I'm so glad she took a full dev cycle because it means it cucked some literal who JRPG character out of the roster. I think her reveal was also perfect and people complaining are entitled babies who wanted to watch K.K. Slider get skewered by Ridley' tail for no other reason than "lol he died so edgy and HYPE!! XD".

Seeing the reaction really makes me hope we get another revevancy pick so all the Geno/Issac/Banjo/Skull Kidfags fuck off and remember they're not the only audience Smash appeals to. You got your fat lizards, fuck off.
Now I'm just waiting for non-Echo Octolings. It's just a matter of time at this point.
>>
I think K Rool must have used the crystal coconut to wish himself into smash.
>>
File: 1514873819273.jpg (50 KB, 524x646)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Not too unpopular but holy fuck, am I getting sick of people thinking that shitting on others will get them anything other then people disliking their most wanted. It's console-war tier retardation
>>
I want NES Popeye for Smash.
>>
>>431574054
same
>>
File: 1535313288392.jpg (66 KB, 378x378)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>431573643
great taste
>>
File: Smash Ult Wishlist.png (2.68 MB, 1920x1920)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB PNG
>>431573343
My smash wishlist is usually unpopular to Nintendo purity fags...
However in my opinion-
There are no more good Nintendo characters to add
>>
>>431573343
Doomguy is the only character I still want.
He's been with us since SNES and even has nintendo exclusives, and we need another western character
>>
>>431575693
>There are no more good Nintendo characters to add
I kinda agree with your opinion. Except that a newcomer Pokemon is always good, regardless of how it makes /v/ feel.
>>
File: 1513909391656.png (1.16 MB, 1792x1538)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
If there's even going to be a Kirby rep this time around, it better not be this fucker. Kirby's character potential greatly expanded with Star Allies and if the filler character becomes the only Kirby newcomer, I fear Kirby will respond by stagnating with its characters again.
Not that getting a new rep is even likely to happen, considering how much a piece of shit Sakurai is.
>>
>>431575472
Dont forget N64 James bond
Wouldn't that be the ultimate kick in the head
>>
>>431574494
>current gen
>in current gen Smash's base roster (learn to dev cycle)
>one of those recency picks is a JRPG character who also won't age well

Abhorrent post. Isabelle was fine, but ARMS and Splatoon are the only new IPs worth adding and the former came out too late. I guarantee they picked more classics or relevant characters with long legacies because nothing new worth adding besides Splatoon was out since Smash 4 and the end of 2015. Also everyone is resigned to a Pokemon already.
>>
>>431575693
>no more good nintendo characters
Doom has been pretty nintendo centric lately
>>
File: 6829147694351.jpg (3.78 MB, 4288x2848)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
>>431575889
I wouldn't mind a new pokemon rep so long as they are unique.
Incineroar wouldn't be that much different from Captain Falcon right?
>>
File: 1533753399650.jpg (141 KB, 1107x623)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
Only turbo-casuals care about the roster post-brawl and they cancer up every smash discussion. There are a billion things smash could improve on and I'm glad they've finally started delving into it
>>
I wouldn't mind if Thanos got into smash the same way he got into Fortnite. I think i'm the thread winner
>>
>>431576172
A dedicated wrestling moveset would be pretty fun for Smash Bros. Especially if he does classic heel shit. Incineroar is shown hitting Pokemon with chairs in his concept art, so I'm hoping that transfers into Smash Bros.
>>
>>431573343
I've wanted Isabelle to be in Smash since 4 and I am so happy she's in. Not only that, but I'm really surprised and pleased she's not an echo, or at least not entirely. They exceeded my expectations with her.
>>
>>431576172
It would be closer to Ganon + Bowser in execution because it's a wrestler heel. I really don't want the cat, but a lot points to it being in.
>>
>>431576141
I'd like Doomguy too.
However he's not a Nintendo property so he still falls under the 3rd party zone.
>>
>>431573343
That’s only unpopular on /v/. Everybody else loves the hell out of the little dog lady.
>>
>>431573343
People who are legitimately angry at Isabelle need to calm their fucking tits. For one, there are still more characters left. Secondly and most importantly, how fucking entitled are you? This game has over 70 fucking characters confirmed as of right now with more on the way. You're being a spoiled brat if you complain about the roster at this point.
>>
>>431576307
Sorry but Captain Falcon with chairs isn't enough to sell me on another humanoid grappler type when Pokemon has flying achors and rock dogs it can use as fighters. Incineraor is a very boring choice and if he gets in just proves TCPI will shill whatever they want without regard to what fans actually like.
>>
>>431576010
I don't believe Bandanna Waddle Dee placed highly in the ballot. That's an unpopular opinion, right?
>>
>>431576031
He'd be alright, hopefully with the same weird pixelated face.
>>
>>431576550
>Not wanting a wrestling moveset
Objectively shit taste. Also, Incineroar is pretty popular with the fans. You might not like it, but it's true.
>>
File: 74.png (210 KB, 446x319)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
Smash needs more sexy monkeys
>>
File: 1481403784059.png (69 KB, 186x181)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>431576307
>>431576382
Ok, that's pretty neat...
I guess if we can have characters who specialize on range,melee,aerials etc. Why not grabs?
However then it begs the question, would Incineroar be the best character, or even the best pokemon to execute that moveset?
Some punch-out! characters could do that- and even some pokemon like Slaking could do it too right?
>>
File: CwGLHSPVYAENZEu.jpg (105 KB, 767x1024)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>431573343
>Corrin is a great adition
>There is nothing wrong with Sakurai using Other M designs, just because the game wasn´t good doesn´t mean the designs are bad too
>Jigglypuff and Lucario have overstayed their welcome
>Link is not shit
>Dark Pit doesn´t bring anything to the table and I wouldn´t miss him, but there is no reason to be upset about him either considering how little time and resources it takes to add him
>Johnathan, Charlotte, Shanoa and Soma deserved to get in more than Richter, but I am not mad about it.
>I don´t think Tetra would be a good adition
>Counting Yoshi and Wario as separate series from Mario is dumb
>>
>>431576550
This desu. Same with Bandanna Waddle Dee. They represent what the executives want. There are more interesting characters from both series.
>>
>>431576031
Fun fact: James Bond was one of the most requested characters for Melee. I don’t want him in, but if any non-video game character is getting in, he’s an okay choice.
>>
Skull Kid is my most wanted character, but I'm glad they didn't announce a Smash character just for Smash in this direct. Animal Crossing fans have been waiting long enough and got cucked out of a game for the past five years, I'm fine with Smash's newcomer this time being a glorified trailer for an Animal Crossing game.
Also, most Smash fans don't realize how good they have it.
>The whole issue with SFV's release, not even having Guile in the base roster
>DBFZ's roster of 30(?) in which there are four Gokus and 3 Vegetas
>MVCI, no further explanation needed
Meanwhile Smash fans get every character from every past game put in, as well as a bunch of fan favorites. I see no reason to complain.
>>
>>431576787
>Not posting Funky
>>
>>431573343
Did you take into account that nobody had an issue with Inkling? It's because Inkling's a unique fighter. Isabelle is an underwhelming semi-clone with the worst reveal trailer yet.
>>
I'm really happy Chrom's in, he was my favorite Awakening character
I hope Sakurai doubles down on boomer characters, since everyone from the past five years of Nintendo who should be in Smash is already in Smash
I think Mach Rider would be the best retro character
I think Tom Nook should've been in instead, or made an echo fighter, but Isabelle's not a bad addition. She was just poorly timed after a string of wide-appeal characters like Simon or Ridley
>>
>>431576861
>Would Incineroar be the best character, or even the best pokemon to execute that moveset?
Yeah. Nintendo doesn't have that many wrestling/heel characters. And Sakurai most likely asked for a Gen 7 Pokemon specifically. There's 3rd party characters that could pull it off pretty well, but they are literal never evers.
>>
>>431576941
Could be a snake echo
>>
I like Isabelle only because it made people angry.
>>
>>431573981
>I bet it's the same for Skull Kid, Geno
I want to disagree with you but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of bandwagon zoomers, and that kind of hurts me a little. It downplays the genuine love some people have for the characters. Popular character picks are fine, but if the support isn't genuine then it falls apart and ruins it for everyone.
>>
>>431576908
>They represent what the executives want
That's downplaying Bandanna Waddle Dee's popularity. He's a legitimate popular character on his own right.
>>
File: c2b.jpg (150 KB, 1272x1798)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>431573343
I actually want another Fire Emblem character, from Awakening no less
>>
File: Dee.png (125 KB, 450x409)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>>431576572
He's #1 in Japan and does pretty well on the polls in the U.S/U.K
>>
>>431577456
Would be a good Robin echo, but I'm going to bet Male Morgan replaces Chrom for F!Robin's final smash, and F!Morgan for M!Robin.
>>
>>431577537
Maybe now. But we have no information to determine how characters did in the actual Smash Ballot.
>>
Jibanyan would be a great and fun addition
>>
>>431576978
I don't think anybody's complaining about the overall quality and amount of content in the game (well, apart from mentally ill autists), they just feel like Isabelle had an underwhelming reveal and doesn't seem like an interesting character. It is what it is. Just as long as people aren't harassing Sakurai about it I think they have the right to praise and criticise whatever picks they want.
>>
>>431575308
A

C
A
T

I
S

F
I
N
E

T
O
O
>>
>>431575693
>least wanted
>basically meme characters
lmao
>>
>>431573343
Why can't you just be happy about something without being a dick about it?
>>
After the last direct a new Square E fighter is basically inevitable but it wont be Geno. We're getting TWEWY and FF7 so it's either a TWEWY protag or SEPHIROTH (maybe just as an AT though)
>>
>>431576485
>entitled
>spoiled brat
This right here is what my unpopular opinion in centered around. I've seen people use this emotional reasoning for years and my response to it every time is to roll my eyes. Sakurai and the rest of them are not our parents. They're selling a product to the masses not giving us a gift.

Look I like Sakurai because he is a talented man who has made really great games but I never understood how people can lionize him as this great martyr. I don't feel the need to come to his rescue and defend his honor from random complaints on the internet.
>>
File: Poll.png (262 KB, 1722x1283)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
>>431577645
You're right. The most I have is this poll from a while back
>>
File: MeetTheSpy.jpg (50 KB, 500x281)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>431577754
Please show me all the support for pic related,
I really want to know.
>>
>>431573343
I still unironically want waluigi to be officially playable in a smash game. not because of memes or anything, I just genuinely like him.
>>
>>431577545
I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the case
>>
>>431577957
I support them.
>>
I still wish DK could ground pound enemies like in DK 64.
>>
>>431573343
I don’t think I have an unpopular opinion for smash. Maybe wishing that Dark Samus had a different final smash?
>>
>>431573343

I don't think Rayman would be a good addition.
>>
File: 1515115527048.gif (2.58 MB, 320x180)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB GIF
>>431578149
>>
>>431576010
That's not really an unpopular opinion, at least not on /v/. Have you missed all the "HAT GOOMBA" threads?
>>
I refuse to support Smash Brothers until they get rid of Zero Suit Samus. That disgusting trash has done nothing but destroy Metroid for decades, turning it into glorified wank fuel. Sex fanservice is objectively a bad thing and has done irreperable damage to Samus and her IP.

>b-but the old games
I don't care. Take any instance of her being out of her suit, and throw it in the garbage. Remake every Metroid game if you have to. Just make Metroid about a cool bounty hunter killing monsters again, stop making her into a barbie doll who exists solely to give people boners.
>>
ACfag is here. See if you can spot him.
>>
>>431578701
My unpopular opinion is that Metroid fans can be whiny bitches. Not all Metroid fans. Just the ones that post in Smash Bros threads to complain.
>>
>>431573343
I'd rather have Amy as the next Sonic rep instead of Shadow.
>>
>>431578701
Zero Suit was fine in Zero Mission. I dunno why she's a super ninja in Smash, but it's aesthetically no worse than her suitless look from original Metroid games
>>
>>431578829
Don't reply to ACfag
>>
>>431578882
Shadow is only a possibility due to echo fighters.
>>
>>431573343
I'm happy because it's a character I wanna fuck.
>>
>>431578882
What if she could flatten people with her hammer like in Sonic the Fighters?
>>
>>431578882
I would love Amy or Metal Sonic.
Maybe some day there will be a video game crossover that can accommodate them.
Aside from the Olympics games, I mean.
>>
>>431579148
But she has a mustache
>>
Waluigi, Goku and Sans were the only actual meme picks. Just because something is popular doesn't make it a meme and anyone who believes otherwise is pathetically bitter.
>>
>>431574494
No, Isabelle should've been impaled so K.K. Slider could be the newcomer.
>>
>>431578882
Same for my dick
>>
>>431578913
>>431578917
>>431578829
>>431578771
>all wrongthink must be banned, we must enforce a hugbox

how about no? Isn't this the smash opinion thread? When did you get to decide what opinions were allowed?
>>
I would be happy with Isaac as an Assist Trophy again. Any acknowledgement would be nice.
Even more unpopular opinion: AT's are not an insult. Representation is representation.
>>
I'm not Geno being in but I don't see really why he has such a dedicated following after all these. Sorry if I sound like relevancyfag but I genuinely don't understand how so many people can cling to a side character from an over 20 year old game. Sure he has a neat design and probably a lot of move set potential, but that's hardly exclusive to him. Then again, I've never played SMRPG, so maybe that's why I can't see it.
>>
>>431579564
Telling people to ignore a delusional, incessant shitposter who does nothing but try to derail threads isn’t enforcing a hugbox, it’s attempting to keep thread quality from bottoming out. Fuck off acfag.
>>
>>431573343
>Unpopular opinions
I know this is asking too much, but I hope that we can eventually get all the older stages back. Even Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls.

I also think Sakurai should look into cut content for Smash. Both stages and characters. Ayumi, Heihachi, Excitebike, even Dixie as a Diddy echo. It'd be a fun way to cap off the whole idea of it being an anniversary of Smash history.
>>
>>431579793

He's literally the exact same as every other literally who character except for the fact that people have latched onto him, in my opinion.
>>
>>431579793
>those kirby dots
Was this an edit?
>>
I don't have a problem with any of the Smash Ultimate newcomers.
>>
>>431579793
At this point it's out of sheer stubbornness and the fact that he was requested for so long. I kind of hope it happens even if I don't care about him, because /v/ has been whining about him a lot lately and people whining about never evers deserve to be unhappy when they get in.
>>
>>431579321
>Maybe some day there will be a video game crossover that can accommodate them.

I wish Sega would make a big ol crossover fighter of their own and that they actually acknowledge Puyo Puyo with a character this time.
>>
>>431579793
I think he's just an underdog, somewhat like Waluigi.
Maybe with a more likeable personality (though I like Waluigi, personally)
>>
>>431579848
>Telling people to ignore a delusional, incessant shitposter
And what about that post was shitposting? Go ahead, I'm all ears.
>>
>>431580015
This.
>>
>>431580015
I agree, though the only character so far that I personally like is Richter.
The rest don't mean much to me.
>>
>>431579793
Same reason being clung to K Rool. Him being shafted for so many years only made those who enjoyed him cling to him harder. It makes sense really. If Square and Nintendo aren't going to keep him alive then the fans will.
>>
Third party franchises don't need second characters (unless they're echo fighters).
>>
>>431576861
...Donkey Kong? He’s pretty much grab: the character. Cut off all his moves but grab, throws and back air and he isn’t much worse
>>
>>431573582
>Inkling
>Villain
What did I miss? Do you count them being under Tartar's possession in the Octo Expansion as them being villains?
>>
>>431580905
He means they aren't villains.
>>
>>431580858
Donkey Kong just has one grab. And no grab specials.
>>
>>431580858
everyone is a grappler in smash 4 because everyone has a down throw to up air, donkey kong and bowser are just the best at it in the current patch. it used to be meta knight and zero suit samus
>>
>>431581132
Even in non smash 4 iterations DK is carried by his cargo upthrow up air shenanigans. Albeit he’s shit in other games
>>
>>431580847
Agreed.
>>
File: Shrug.jpg (34 KB, 1282x723)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>431573582
I meant dumbasses saying
>X can't get in because Sakurai is pandering to Boomers
Or
>X is in because they're OBVIOUSLY going for a villains theme
>>
>>431573643
He should be fun. It's literally impossible to please Pokemon fags because there are like 700 and everyone will bitch because their favorite isn't in.
>>
>>431581443
I'll take any starter that's not a humanoid fire brawler and any other shill mon. Just no baracat please.
>>
File: 431.png (159 KB, 498x278)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>431573343
She and Phoenix Wright are my most wanted newcomers and I'm happy with her reveal.

I think the non-fighters are better additions than most of the most required characters. I enjoy those characters a lot unlike Link, Shulk and FE characters.
>>
File: 1535313426105.png (118 KB, 382x293)
118 KB
118 KB PNG
>>431581614
>>
>>431581421
I have never seen anyone use those against a potential newcomer, only in support of someone they want.
>>
File: dee.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
"moveset potential" is retarded. Sakurai can and will make anything fun and interesting. Look, I'm not even a Dee fan, but how can we talk shit about the spear when he turned Wii Fit into a unique fighter by pulling a moveset out of his ass
>>
Honestly I wish heavies had hitboxes like Ganon, but if Ganon weren’t too slow to use his dumb hitboxes.
>>
>>431573343
anti-melee fags are way more annoying than melee fags, it's basically a crusade for them
>>
>>431581914
>2008: didn't put Villager in Brawl because he couldn't think of a moveset that would make sense
>2018: two flavors of Animal-Crossing moveset

They find a way if they really want to
>>
File: 1526981142673.jpg (3 KB, 124x124)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>431578481
Most people who shill the "hat goomba" argument don't sound like hardcore Kirby fans. I seem to be unusual in that I do want another Kirby rep, but not that Waddle Dee filler.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (102 KB, 1280x720)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>431584020
I think you're right. Who would you want?

I'm a moderate Kirby fan (played most of his games but don't feel too strongly about most of them), and I feel like the three we have are the essentials and anyone else would be kinda superfluous unless they're an AT, stage character or boss
>>
>>431584020
I've been obsessed with Kirby lately so I'm pretty much fine any new rep we might get, though at this point the most likely newcomers are looking to be either Dee or Magolor. But that fine as long as I get my DM Swordsman boss fight
>>
>>431579793
I think part of it is the fact that Square owns the characters and therefore none of the OCs in SMRPG were ever seen or acknowledged again (though Geno did get one cameo). They're the "lost" Mario characters, people desire the forbidden, the sunken relics.
>>
>>431573343
I'm happy bcuz porn.
>>
File: Famitsu Pre E3 Poll.png (1.06 MB, 2000x2000)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>431577645
This was a pre E3 poll on Fatmisu. This and the Source Gaming (which isn't even a real poll) is the best look we have into ballot data for Japan. But ya we don't really have concrete data for ballot.
>>
File: 7624937.png (1.16 MB, 5000x5000)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>431577337
What drives people like this?
>>
>>431584020
Honestly the argument for Bandana Dee basically amounts to "muh developer's favorite", which worked for Isabelle, but absolutely fell flat for Ashley and a number of others. It almost seems like people(nuKirby fans) like him out of obligation.
>>
>>431575693
Honestly, you're right. Basically all of the characters that were considered shoe-ins for Smash were in by Brawl.
>>
>>431585420
It's just human nature find the suffering others enjoyable, especially if that "suffering" doesn't actually hurt anyone so it can be enjoyed guilt free
>>
>>431573343
Polls shouldn't be taken seriously. Nintendo does give consideration to popularity but a large part of it is introducing characters that hype the larger community, where-as Smash polls are significantly skewered towards a vocal minority that has the commonality of being Smash fans first and foremost, propelling a lot of characters who're neither actually popular nor appropriate for inclusion to the top.

Also only loosely related. Literally every Smash 5 reveal has been extremely obvious in hindsight at least if not clearly apparent to anybody who actually thought about who should get in instead of who could get in so far.
>>
>>431573343
I don't care about Smash as a game, but I hate cancerous fanbase. I wish it would release already so roster autism would stop shitting up the internet.
>>
>>431586353
literally every smash newcomer is apparent in hindsight
>>
File: never ever.png (399 KB, 1024x710)
399 KB
399 KB PNG
>>431584020
>I seem to be unusual in that I do want another Kirby rep, but not that Waddle Dee filler
I'm in the same boat. I can't really say I want BD, but he seems like he has more of a chance than who I am hoping for.
>>
>>431574494
T. Ashelyfag
>>
>>431576010
If the best that Kirby fans have to offer is a Waddle Dee, that probably means there aren't any worthwile characters left to add. Kirby, MK, and Dedede are enough.
>>
>>431578701
T. Dobson
>>
>>431587205
>implying BWD isn't at all worthwhile
Why are anti-Dees so fucking stupid?
>>
I care more about stages and rules more than the actual roster since I have been pretty much been keeping my mains since melee Though the belmonts and Ridley might change that
>>
>>431587525
Dobson liked Other M which was the game people started to really hate Zero suit. He is a hypocrite, we know this.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.