[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vip/ - Very Important Posts

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Width Height
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Attention: All work safe boards are soon going to be on the 4channel.org domain.

For now, all boards are accessible through either domain.

Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

Let's discuss the 2018 American Midterm Election results here. Try to keep shitposting to a minimum.
>>
>>86389
They sure were something.
>>
>>86389
Well democrats won congress and republicans improved their senate holdings

I guess this means democrats can basically stop any legislation they don't like and republicans can just approve any judge they like
So the only thing I expect to happen for the next 2 years is a lot of republican judge approvals.
>>
>>86391
The House holds the pursestrings. If the House Democrats can hold a unified front against the Republicans it puts more of a halt to government business than just nothing gets done legislatively.
>>
>>86389
The blue wave turned out to be a blue puddle. Democrats made modest gains in the house but lost several seats in the senate. The House is now controlled by the democrats which can be used as leverage to stop any legislation Trump might approve. I don't expect much to happen, midterms usually result in the opposing party gaining control under the sitting president resulting in much gridlock, think Obama and the 2010 midterms when democrats lost 69 house seats to republicans.

What will be interesting is that with the republicans in control of the senate, they could still pick a lot of conservative judges over the next two years, especially the supreme court should RBG kick the bucket.
>>
i voted :)
>>
>>86395
>they could still pick a lot of conservative judges

Hopefully the next one won't be a rapist.
>>
>>86407
>Hopefully the next one will actually be a rapist.
FTFY
>>
>>86409
based
>>
File: 1541692368864.png (245 KB, 1063x1063)
245 KB
245 KB PNG
>>86395
>especially the supreme court should RBG kick the bucket.
Are you a prophet?
>>
>>86412
>Are you a prophet?
No, it's just how many people do you know that still work at 85 years old? She just broke three ribs from a fall, her time is nearly up.
>>
What do the Senate/House actually do?
>>
>>86422
A Senate is a baby swan and a house is kind of like the mud hut you live in only it's made from wood and we've invented doors.
>>
>>86424
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YES, LAUGHTER. THIS IS THE RESPONSE I WAS HOPING FOR WHEN I ASKED MY QUESTION. JOKES. FRIVOLITY. CHEER. OH, WHAT FUN WE HAVE WITH OUR FRIENDS ON /VIP/! WHAT DELIGHTFUL GAIETY WE SHARE.

FUCK.

YOU.
>>
>>86425
I'm pleased to live up to your expectations but there's no need to thank me with sex.
>>
>>86422
The U.S. Senate is the upper house in Congress and the U.S. House [of Representatives] is the lower house in Congress.

The senate is composed of two elected officials from each state, 100 total, regardless of population (This is where libs from California bitch that they have way less power than say those living in Wyoming). The senate is considered more prestigious as its members are elected to six years terms with 1/3 of the body elected every two years. It holds power over confirming the president's cabinet members, federal and supreme court judges, executive department leaders, ambassadors, and a handful of other things.

The house on the other hand plays a more legislative and financial role. It introduces bills that, with the approval of the senate and president, could eventually become laws; said bills can also affect government budgets, federal spending, taxes, and various other financially-related things. Its entire body is elected every two years. The house is proportional to a state's population, so more heavily populated states like California have a whopping 53 representatives versus only 1 representative for say Wyoming.

Ideally, the senate and the house are supposed to work together to draft, debate, amend, and approve legislation, budgets, spending bills, and many other things that ultimately go to the president's desk where he can either agree and sign it into law, or disagree and veto (kill) it. It is possible for both chambers in Congress (The senate and the house) to override a presidential veto with the help of a supermajority (Nearly all members have to agree to pass it) but this rarely happens; I think in all of Obama's 8 years as presidents, Congress only successfully passed veto'd legislation once.
>>
File: rDHi0VK.jpg (122 KB, 900x1200)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>86428
Of course, none of that actually matters in reality. Because people in general would rather tear each other down and love to bicker and fight instead of working together or collaborating, rarely anything actually gets done in Congress: the senate and house will often fight with each other and make changes to the other's proposals trying to one-up each other. This means most legislation never actually passes Congress, let alone makes it to the president's desk, and very much less signed into law. There are some out there who say this is a good system for government because it means only the most important, most critical issues will be drafted, debated, passed, and approved as laws while weeding out issues that don't really matter, but others disagree saying this creates huge inefficiency and is a relic of an era long since past that can't keep up with problems plaguing our modern society.
>>
>>86428
>>86429
Thank you. This was very informative, and I appreciate the lovely tits.
>>
>>86429
>>86429
>This means most legislation never actually passes Congress, let alone makes it to the president's desk, and very much less signed into law. There are some out there who say this is a good system for government because it means only the most important, most critical issues will be drafted, debated, passed, and approved as laws while weeding out issues that don't really matter, but others disagree saying this creates huge inefficiency and is a relic of an era long since past that can't keep up with problems plaguing our modern society.
It's basically this
It's why Presidential power has been increasing over time, it's the only way sh*t gets done and congress is too busy fighting amongst themselves to do anything about the presidents slowly increasing their power through loopholes.

The only way congress will ever get sh*t done these days is if both house and the senate get an overwhelming majority. Last 2 years are evidence just having a basic majority isn't enough to do anything.
>>
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUDSeb2zHQ0
>>
Pretty good results for both sides honestly

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.