[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: image.png (35 KB, 294x300)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Point out a specific point or moment
>>
>>35903747
It didn't for me, for a really long time. - I think it was Z-moves, alola formes, and multiverses that finally went and did it.
>>
>>35903747
Pallet town
>>
>>35903747
Never It's still good you nickpicking faggots
>>
HGSS, that's when my Sharpedo started going over hurdles.
>>
>>3590376 Stfu and cut it off on the dicksucking GFag
>>
Mega evolutions and customizable trainers.
>>
>>35903747
It was either in Gen 3 when evil teams started having world-rending plans and legendaries started to be shoved down our throats, or it was in Gen 6, when we started having super gimmicks and parallel worlds became a thing. They’re both just awful shifts.
>>
>>35903795
>customizable trainers
Legit of the greatest additions in the series
>>
>>35903769
I love you anon
>>
>>35903747
LGPE
>>
>>35903747
Gen IV with the le epic god pokemon

But if you're willing to overlook that then definitely Ultra Beasts
>>
>>35903747
Gen 4 with the literal Gods of the foundations of the universe.
>>
>>35903802
Anon, everything in this post bar gimmicks started in gen 4.
In gen 3 the scale was never the entire world it was regional in 4 it was the entire universe with only gen 6 getting within a stones throw of it. It was also when the legends became a constant presence through the story.
Actually going to parallel worlds began in gen 4 with the distortion world with it only happening again in 7.
>>
>>35903747
Sun & Moon were when the series became more or less un redeemable. Mega Evolution was okay.
>>
>>35903747
megas. (or gen VI as a whole)

I like the concept of megas, but the way they implemented it, that was it.
>>
You're dumb if you excuse Ultra Changes
>>
>>35903747
gen vi
>>
Gen 6.
>gimmick mega evolutions
>easy as fuck
>washed out colours
>gen 1 pandering reaches critical levels
>graphics start to look noticably worse than other games on the same console
Gen V is only held in such high regard because it's the last proper pokemon gave we got.
>>
>>35903747
3D and megas, I like megas, but I have to admit that the idea feels out of place
>>
Generation 6, for some of the reasons this anon >>35904251 listed, but also for the biggest reason of all.
>pokemon go
>>
>>35904281
Ready to sound like a casualfag or whatever, but GO wasn't really that terrible. It isn't for me, but I thought it was ok, as long as it stayed separate from main series. However now, it's a lot worse. I don't want fucking GO integration, that's fucking retarded.
>>
When it took me an hour to get my starter.
>>
I think Gen 4 was the point where I stopped being immersed in the Pokemon world and it just became marketing to me. The entire appeal of Pokemon is that you're going out on adventures catching a team of wild animals. And for Gens 1 and 2 and even 3 for the most part that was what I did. 3 was more story centric and Groudon and Kyogre were effectively gods with complete control over an entire aspect of nature but that was the furthest I was able to suspend my disbelief because they were the only ones. Lugia was called the guardian of the seas but I never knew for 100% certain whether it actually calmed storms or if a sailor somewhere just said that because a storm ended at the same time Lugia happened to pass by. Articuno's a legendary and it's only known for guiding hikers down mountaintops. It could just as easily be a bird that irritated with someone being in its territory. Pokemon are basically friendly animals that you can recruit to travel with you.

Then came gen 4 and we got introduced to the godly trio. The actual pillars of reality that hinged on what were supposed to be wild animals. This was when the line was crossed for me. I know its slightly hypocritical for me to wag my finger at Dailga and Palkia when Groudon and Kyogre were reshaping the earth but something about a wild animal having total dominance over something as abstract as TIME AND SPACE just tore it for me. And then we got introduced to god. Like actual god. From then on Pokemon were basically toys. They weren't animals that I could believe in anymore. They would keep upping the ante every gen and no one would even acknowledge how there seems to be an apocalypse every 3 or 4 years.

I'm sure there's a lot of objective arguments against this and they would probably be true. Like I said GF was guilty of this in Gen 3 and also
>Pokemon
>Story
But that's just for me personally when Pokemon jumped the shark and I wasn't invested in it anymore.
>>
>>35903802
with gen 3 it was just another type of story. it was unique to the region. nut then every game copied it afterward
>>
>>35903802
It's like Pokemon knows it has to change SOMETHING but it won't commit to any changes it decides to make. Ultra Necrozma would fit right into Final Fantasy 5. The whole story is basically a FF story. But because it's Pokemon you can't go too far into that territory, so you have fun time adventures for like 50% of the game. Then suddenly it's the fucking apocalypse with gods and interdimensional predators attacking a unsuspecting public for like 20% of it. And then the last 30% of it it's fun time adventures again. What the hell is going on?

Team Rocket are the perfect villains for Pokemon. Because in a world where the vast majority of the population of humanity seems to love Pokemon and nothing else, Team Rocket is just a group that doesn't give a shit. And cares more about money than wild animals.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>35903769
Get it? Its funny because the pokemon known as sharpedo is based on a shark, this anonymous 4chan user is making a joke about taking the phrase "jumping the shark" by saying the shark pokemon is jumping hurdles
>>
>>35903747

Mega Evolutions.

Fuck that Digimon noise.
>>
>>35904554
You must be fun at parties
>>
>>35904388
I agree with this post. The introduction of the godly trio is when Pokemon jumped the shark.
To this day, I'm still baffled at why there are a group of Pokemon that control concepts such as space and time, and a fucking God Pokemon.
>>
>>35904388
same honestly, and i didn't even realize
>>
File: 1521536873133.png (64 KB, 750x650)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>35904388
Woah, even if I'm a fan of the franchise until now this really hurts to read, it's spot on and I didn't even acknowledged it before.
>>
>>35903761
This
>>
Gen 6 the game wasn't just too easy, they also introduced mega pokemon. Sure it's cool that they gave older pokemon like pidgeot something to make it useable but they could have just buffed them, it just felt unnatural how it worked. Isn't mega evolution the same team rocket tried to do with magikarp forced evolution.
>>
>>35903747
Probably gen 3 or 4. Leaning more towards 4 and muh gods
>>
>>35904123
3 was worldwide, it was just less flashy about it. 4 took it a big step further.
>>
>>35905858
Mega evolution was just ultimate commercial attention grabbing trash. "Look how your beloved gen 1 pokes like Charizard and Mewtwo have now altered evolve formed to make them even more edgy! Not one, but TWO forms!" Fuck off
>>
>>35903747
Z-Crystsal Iunno about giving every pokemon an effective nuke
>>
XY, when you stopped having rivals and you were roped into having a shitty party of "friends".
I didn't play BW so I wasn't aware of fucking Charon and Bianca until recently.
>>
>>35903747
Megas
>>
>>35903747
> to reach a point when far-fetched events are included merely for the sake of novelty, indicative of a decline in quality.
Does this mean mega evolution, i mean. I played gen 6. It was fine. Multiverse was annoying though. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief that not all of the games happen as they are but they ultimately have the same impact on the story. But saying "OH btw its all canon because multiverse theory" is basically "it was all a dream" levels of quality in my eyes.

Gen 5 might have marked that with the fusion mechanic and gimmick battle formats.
But the gen 7 was when i stopped playing. (I got to the second island and got bored.)
I still hold out hope for gen 8 though, for some reason. I still care about the franchise, despite recognising a decline in quality. Maybe LGPE being containment games is a theory i'm holding onto because i don't want to give it up as opposed to being something i actually believe.
>>
>>35903747
Gen 5: Concerns raised about the amount of interruptions made by your rivals - felt overly handhold-y

Gen 6: Megas were a sick joke, no Z game to fix problems

Gen 7: Barebones SM and insulting USUM follow up

And now LGPE. It's all over.
>>
>>35903761
As much as I like Alola forms, this
>>
>>35904554
this is so sad.
>>
>>35904388
Retard alert.
>wild animals
MONSTERS.
>>
>>35903747
ORAS or XY. The first games of the generation lack battle frontier and gym leader rematchs but ORAS were the first games auxiliary games not to that since Firered and Leafgreen as such they a huge step backwards.

As for XY fuck you Gamefreak 72 new Pokémon isn't enough.
>>
Either megas or that part in ORAS where you fly into space on fug
>>
Several times

>crime team wants to flood the world because ???
>crime team wants to end the fucking universe because cyrus is intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor
>crime team tries to kill you
>crime team tries to kill everyone
>DUDE FLY THROUGH THE MULTIVERSE!

I just wanted to go on an adventure with my favorites. I didn't ask for some over the top "the stakes have never been higher" stupidity.
>>
gen 7

SM and USUM were really boring
>>
>>35904605
Gamers btfo
>>
>>35904388
Kyogre and Groudon aren't even godly. They are just two very powerful monsters that happen to have the ability to summon rain/sunlight. We don't know if the legend about reshaping the planet is true, and it's probably just a myth. When Groudon and Kyogre were clashing at Sootopolis, there people watching from the shore so the cataclysm wasn't even that big.
>>
>>35906106
Cheren is great
>>
Getting Lati@s with a Megastone after the third gym did it for me.
>>
>>35903747
xy and fewer new pokemon + shit 3D models instead of kino pixels
>>
>>35903761
This, UB's and the whole Z-move shit was the moment I was like "ok...why do we need this?"
>>
>>35907646
This
>>
>>35904077
This, arceus is best left as an unknown Pokemon whose powers are so vast no mortal can witness it or arceus itself. The fact that we can bend this creature to our will kinda showed me that Pokemon was getting desperate.
>>
>>35904166
How So?
>>
>>35904388
You summed it all up here. Goddamn
>>
>>35903747
Gen 5.
>all starters are shit
>all the early game Pokemon are shit
>75% of the new Pokemon are remakes of old Pokemon
>started the casualization
>mary sue villain out of the mind of a deviantart chuuni
>a fucking ice cream cone
>>
>>35905902
Not him but up until Steven mentioning the effects of Kyogre and Groudon's uncontrolled powers everything was stated to be regional.

In other words the only one saying anything close to worldwide plots in gen 3 was Steven.
>>
File: Santalune_Forest_XY.png (469 KB, 510x493)
469 KB
469 KB PNG
Defend this

I was debating whether this dungeon (and how you first explore it with the rivals handholding you) or giving you the Kanto Starters in the main game was worse. XY as a whole was God awful
>>
>>35907646
That never happened.
>>
File: geedog212x387.jpg (24 KB, 212x318)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>35907883
Gee X/Y! How come your mom lets you have TWO starters?
>>
>>35903747
Gen 4 evos
>>
File: jumpsharkgraph.png (13 KB, 315x180)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>35904388
To be honest, I'd be OK with introducing the literal gods of Pokemon in a "series finale" type game. The problem is that DPPt wasn't a series finale. This left us without anywhere to really go afterwards, but Gamefreak decided to try to take us there, anyway.

Jumping the Shark is usually defined as the moment in a series where the creators run out of ideas, after which they radically change the formula and start relying on gimmicks to keep things going. With this definition in mind, the jump undeniably occurred during DPPt. Gamefreak definitely had good ideas for Gen 4, and there were more than a few things it did well, things that would be sorely missing from the series as a whole if it stopped after Gen 3 (like the physical/special typing split, to name just one). But it is unfortunate that these good ideas also seem to have been Gamefreak's last. In some ways, I see Arceus as an admission that they had gone creatively bankrupt ("We're out of ideas - might as well just make the god of all Pokemon and call it a day!").

In my opinion, stuff started getting really gimmicky after Gen 4. Gen 5's 100% new Pokedex, the dream world, hidden abilities, mega evolutions, ultra beasts, z moves, etc., they all feel to me like gimmicks. Or in other words, ways of shaking things up and putting a new coat of paint on the series, when the true creative core and the spirit of the series went missing years ago. And if we take DPPt as the point where the jump happened, it follows naturally that we started getting all these gimmicks afterwards.

Overall, I still like Gen 4, but I can't say I've had as much fun with any of the games afterwards. And despite my affection for it, there is also no question in my mind that Gen 4 marks the beginning of the end.
>>
Gen 3. Pure trash. Can't even go back and play that water water water bs again. Like zero good pokes. Shit starters. Shit music. It was a clear step down from what came before.
>>
>>35903747
Gen 4, easily.
>damn we need new legends guys, what should we do?
>how about the gods of time and space? oh, and antimatter? and literally god???
>sure, it's not like the series can die now anyway :^)
What a fucking stupid idea, goddamn. It makes gen 3's box legends look fantastic in comparison.
>>
>>35903747
It was declining since Gen 6, but it actually jumped the shark with Let's Go.
>>
>>35903747
I found ORAS underwhelming after playing emerald.
Other than that it's fine.
>>
>>35903747
I thoroughly despise BW but if the games ever jumped the shark was with gen 7. What a piece of shit this gen was, holy shit. Thanks to the data mining we have proof of how rushed these pieces of shit were. Had gf hired competent developers they'd have finished the games on time for the anniversary. Oh and what do they do for USUM instead of fixing shit, listening to fan feedback or finishing all the empty shit? Nothing. Literally nothing. USUM were the only Pokémon games I've never finished. Lots of normies who don't even know 4chan told me they either shelved it or took months to finish it. I'm sure gen 7 will be remembered as the most pointless gen ever.
>>
DP games easily
>The cementing of the heavy storytelling games and the "you can save the world" plot shit.
>Too much legendaries made them feel cheap. Their backstories don't help neither.
>Lucario forced down our throats.
>New shitty evolution methods.
>Spawned a new wave of furries thanks to Lucario.
>>
>>35904388
This post is stupid.
Pokemon aren't animals nor tools. It's hard to believe so but if you want to immerse yourself in it then you'd need to have that mindset.
Celebi has shrine. So was landorus-t. This sin't just some random god popping but mon that had been worshipped for a long time. I don't understand why you're against it having a control over time or whatnot because why the fuck not?
Funny because troughout the game repeatedly they emphasis pokemon are not animals and tools but partners, and you just successfully fell into the villain's mindset instead: that they're all worthless.
If you want to enjoy the game, then stick with the world inside it, and don't confuse it with reality.
>>
R/S
I saw Groudon/Kyogre as a kid thought they were robot Pokemon
>>
>>35903747
Mega evos feel unnatural and unnecesary addition to the series. I hate it as Lorefag.
>>
>>35906611
>crime team wants to end the fucking universe because cyrus is intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor

Cyrus just wanted to create new world. This isnt bad. The way he did it (by enslaving legendaries and not caring about others is)
>>
the millisecond xy were hacked
>>
>>35908217
There's definitely something about their designs that didn't fit with any other of the Pokemon we saw before. Why were they all covered in those dark geometric lines, when no other Pokemon to date incorporated elements like that? It made them look like they were from another game. They don't quite seem like Pokemon.
>>
>>35903747
Ash-Greninja.
>>
>>35908070
Gen 3 put me off Pokemon for a while, Emerald was ok and FRLG were ok remakes but took a break from Pokemon for ~ years before getting back into it via Platinum (seeing as some of my favorites Pokemon like Gengar and Gyarados got buffed with the Phy/Spe split), Loved HGSS and all of gen 5 too but I think i'm done with Pokemon for now except for Showdown after the abomination that was the 3DS era and the Let's GO reveals
>>
File: rude!.gif (469 KB, 380x214)
469 KB
469 KB GIF
>>35907871
>Stoutlant
>Shit
>>
>>35908208
At least it gave us Dawn and Cynthia, glad I skipped DP and went straight to Platinum tho
>>
>>35908239
Probably because they were Gamefreak's first shot at the super special plot-related box legendaries.
>>
>>35903747
Mega evolutions because most of them look ugly, in addition to making popular pokemon vastly more overpowered than they already were.
Gen IV evolutions of gen I pokemon almost pushed me over, like rhyperior and tangrowth, but I like enough of them to overlook such a blunderous move.
>>
>>35903747
Mega evolutions.
>>
>>35904388
Absolutely this^ before gen 4 there was no creation myth or origin of pokemon, as far as I can tell the pokemon world was the same as the real one but pokemon begin to appear without any real explanation; all the references to real countries and real animals weren't a mistake as everyone says now, but here's the thing, pokemon doesn't have any real canon per se and I don't think they really thought about it.

Is a shame, it has so much potential!

pd: I prefer the idea of pokemon being monsters and not friendly animals (all the trainers in gen 1 with whips)
>>
Mainly between BW and B2W2.
>intrusive story sections/characters that belong in an old Final Fantasy game more than Pokemon
>fixed the slow engines from Gen 4 and gave observable nature properties BUT removed things such as post-game facilities, VS seeker, contests, and Pal Park
>introduced a variety of new pokemon but many weren't decently designed nor were they fun to use even in casual play due to their abhorrently distributed stats
>B2W2 giving gaudy overdesigned makeovers to human characters
It's a shame since Darmanitan and Cofagrigus became two of my favorite pokemon of the franchise.
>>
Prolly sun and moon but LGPE when I saw them flick a pokeball like go i knew we were forever fucked
>>
>>35907709
>kino pixels
No
>>
>>35903747
gen 2
>>
>>35907883
call me retarded, but is that supposed to be the same layout as viridian forest?
Too lazy to search it up
>>
>>35908345
I don't think you know what jumping the shark is.
>>
File: 1525986390280.png (58 KB, 679x769)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>35904388
>Dex says that Dragonite can fly around the world in 24 hours
>Dex says that Tiranitar can reshape mountains
>Dex says that Machamp can lift mountains
>wtf why pokemon are not like animals
>>
>>35903747
I was completely and utterly fine with changes because I thought "Oh I'll just wait for the next gen." (didn't like Gen V for obvious Jim Henson reasons), but then Mega Evolutions appeared in not ONE, not TWO, but FOUR fucking games.

XY, ORAS, SM & USUM. Fuck. Me. I had to avoid it for four fucking games. Take the hint, Gamefreak.
>>
>>35909243
Why on earth do you think they would remove pokemon forms when they have never done that?
>>
>>35904388
This is exactly how I feel.

People might disagree with me but I always liked Gen I and II for the fact that they feel like real places, that's likely due to the fact that they're based on real prefectures too. That said, the Pokemon designs always felt the most grounded to me and the setting wasn't super futuristic or anything; you had Poke Balls and all sorts of weird tech but, for the most part, it was a pretty regular setting. Hell those earlier games even mention death, pet abandonment and all sorts of dark themes while the later ones just go all out with anime shit.

It also helps that RBY/GSC have pretty tame plots, if you can even call them that. No chosen one bullshit, the evil team stuff only comes in because you happen across their plans.

Not sure how to tl;dr this but my point is that the later games went way too far with the wackiness as you mentioned, the earlier ones had a good balance that made Pokemon seem like a fantastical adventure yet also kinda grounded.
>>
>>35909249
Usually forms are given for select and specific reasons, first iterations (I think) being Giratina. A legendary w/ a unique form, alright that's cool, I'll get behind that. "Here are 28+ Pokémon with new forms that don't actually matter because they're not even permanent." it was a designer expressing fanfic and you can't convince me otherwise.
>>
>>35908781
No you're not retarded, it's the same
>>
>>35909261
>first iterations (I think) being Giratina
You realise that Giratina is fairly low down the list right?
Also gen 4 in particular was the gen that gave forms out willy nilly without any particular reason to begin with or did you forget that Cherrim, Wormadam, Shellos and Rotom happened for no particular reason other than they could?
Giratina also wasn't the first transformation type form either, that goes to castform.

>that don't actually matter because they're not even permanent.
So you think they don't matter because they're usable in the only place that matters? Astounding logic.
>>
Gen 6.
>>
>>35904388
>I think Gen 4 was the point where I stopped being immersed in the Pokemon world
It says more about your state of mind that you were immersed in such an unbelievable world to begin with. Hell gen 1 and 2 are the most unbelievable generations next to 4.
>>
File: 1528648268389.png (162 KB, 410x371)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
>>35907871
>mary sue villain out of the mind of a deviantart chuuni
funny you say that considering gen 4's villian was a guy with no emotions who wanted to create a new universe just for himself. when compared to the autistic trainer with a special power and his absuive dad I think cyrus is the more chuuni one here
>>
Gen 4 really fell into the classic trap of having to escalate the stakes because "higher stakes is epic and therefore better". I really appreciated how Gen 5 took a step back and made the legendaries just really powerful Pokemon that embody an idea. Despite the lower stakes, I was way more invested in Gen 5's plot and the climax than anything beforehand. It helped that despite the formula changing less in Gen 5 than Gen 4, Gen 5 felt like more of a breath of fresh air.

I don't like the multiple dimension bullshit either. I like the UBs, but they should not have come with the dimensional baggage, as it's yet another thing where they'll have to make the UBs available in later games somehow.

The Gen 1 pandering since Gen 6 is also a huge problem. I still enjoy playing all the games but the Gen 1 pandering is so noticeable it takes me out of the experience probably more than the cutscenes. USUM alleviates this slightly with regards to it's regional dex, as the expansion makes it feel like saturated with Gen 1 bloat, even despite adding more Gen 1 Pokemon to it. The likes of Gens 5 and 6 got more representation and made the whole thing feel less uneven.
>>
>>35909356
Chances are if someone here is using Mary Sue to describe characters like Zinnia or N they're doing it just to shitpost and
1) haven't played the game
2) have no idea what Mary/Gary Sue means
>>
>>35903747
When they started removing shit in sequels/remakes instead of adding, probably ORAS
>>
>>35909413
So GSC then.
>>
>>35903747
Narrative-wise, gen 3
Gameplay wise, gen 6
>>
>>35909457
Gen 3 didn't go beyond any of the previous generations in scope anon.
>>
>>35909372
>2) have no idea what Mary/Gary Sue means
Language chance over time, now a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is a characters with almost no flaws that everyone loves.

A classic Mary Sue would be something like the step-daughter of Dawn and Cynthia, who is the daughter of Red and Misty who are dead, but not really.
>>
>>35904388
Pokemon aren't animals, but I get your point.
>>
>>35903747
After realizing we’re getting a huge gimmick every gen and the ones before it outright die. I loved Megas and Z-Moves are fine, but they literally may as well retcon them out next gen if they’re not going to be consistent. Megas in Gen 7 are clutter, as Z-Moves will be Gen 8
>>
>>35909461
It created a focus on the Legends, instead of just stopping the baddies, which that poster clearly disapproves of.
>>
>>35904262
This. Can’t really add much more to this comment other than expanding on how “Megas feel out of place”. To me they are a fun concept but they seem like a massive ass-pull that make almost sense in-universe. The parallel world idea just doesn’t belong in Pokémon and using that to explain why Charizard can suddenly mega-evolve is just lazy writing. If the concept was introduced back in Gen 1 with the inception of the franchise it would be okay but almost two decade into the franchise it just doesn’t fit at all.
>>
>>35909461
Don’t know what that anon meant but my guess is the introduction of god-like creator legendaries
>>
File: IMG_20180605_135432.png (218 KB, 1773x353)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
Gen 3 with the gods shit, which progressively eroded immersion and the simple yet coherent worldbuilding early pokemon had, but they maintained a sense of new when starting a new adventure.
Since gen 6, quality, content and that sense of new eroded furtgermore, leadinf us to the desolation of usum and Lets go.
>>
>>35909462
>now a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is a characters with almost no flaws that everyone loves.
That's what it always meant you idiot. The definitions isn't applicable to either character because they're the antithesis of Mary Sue, especially N who's worldview was warped to begin with.
>>
>>35909506
>gen 3
>gods
I take it you only played ORAS then.
>>
>>35909462
>A classic Mary Sue would be something like the step-daughter of Dawn and Cynthia, who is the daughter of Red and Misty who are dead, but not really.
You what?
That's never been what a Mary Sue meant. The term is named after a character called Mary Sue in a Star Trek fanfic who was literally a perfect character
>>
steep decline in quality design wise? gen 3.

steep decline in the video game? gen 5. shit became too fantasy for my taste. i miss the original point of you are just some dude training bugs to fight each other
>>
File: beta pokemon gen 2.jpg (1.44 MB, 2936x1750)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>35904077
This. ultra beasts are horrendous
>>
>>35907883
>defend a reference
???
>>
>>35909531
I like how this guy is trying to specifically target gens 3 and 5 because everyone knows it was 4 that went beyond pokemon.
>>
File: pokemon comparison.jpg (819 KB, 1352x2396)
819 KB
819 KB JPG
>>35904262
i forgot just how hyped i was for 3d battles... damn shame they didn't turn out anything like stadium. Dat garish colors and lack of scale. got monkey pawed hard
>>
File: 1526116253216.jpg (146 KB, 600x778)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>35904388
agree. pokemon needs a total reboot to go back to its roots. no more of this insane fantasy/pokemon not even looking like pokemon bs. i miss the natural and smaller scale feel of the games and creatures
>>
>>35903761
Alolan forms (or rather the concept of regional forms) were fine, I'd argue they're the only gimmick introduced so far that actually have any merit to them.
>>
File: IMG_0698.png (101 KB, 500x399)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>35909531
>cherry picking
>>
File: Satoshi_Tajiri_dolls.jpg (9 KB, 160x183)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>35904446
its almost like when the original creator stepped down (after gen 2). the new creator was a hack who didn't even understand the original concept of pokemon.

hmmmm
>>
>>35903747
To me personally it was clearly in Black and White, with fusions introduced it became clear to me that fusions opened a door that could lead to what has happened (z moves, alolan forms, multiverses, etc).

That's mostly a feel, or lore, complaint. From a gameplay view I think XY turned the series into a walking simulator.
>>
File: bugs.png (538 KB, 800x1600)
538 KB
538 KB PNG
Megas was the last straw. i could only take so much design eye rape of the greatest video game franchise of all time
>>
>>35903747

gen 4 (besides hgss)
>>
>>35909568
And as a result he saved pokemon from the travesty of gen 2.
>>
>>35909582
>word evolution in middle of 4 pairs of pokemon
>only half get years
this image is pretty shitty
>>
Mega Evolution. Temporary transformations that come every battle felt like a big shift away from what the Pokémon themselves were supposed to be.
>>
>>35909519
They’re easily gods; hardly any difference in RSE. Groudon still created the land and Kyogre the sea, ORAS only made them bigger with more lines
>>
>>35909582
>Aero regresses when it becomes Mega Aero
>"Evolution"
Well, yeah.
>>
>>35909519
You assumption is wrong.
Oras just worsened thing making the narrative scope of the game even bigger/more godly though, i can see that.
>>
>>35903747
Mega Evolutions
>>
>>35909699
Using that and reasoning Ho-oh and Lugia are gods of life and storms respectively.
>>
I hated in some ways basically every gen after gsc, but they managed at the same time to have something going for them, even V and VII.
Gen III is my personal most hated, people tend to overlook this one but it doomed the series to be all clones of rby, with over the top stupid stories and missing past features.
The lack of connectivity with older games pushed in this direction as well.
I will never hate rs enough.
On the other hand we got the battle frontier and colosseum, and as people already noticed the weather trio wasn't ridiculous as the creation one.
>>
>>35909699
Actually we don't see them sing any particularly godly acts.
One summoned a storm which at least two legends before are said to do and the other caused a drought which has never been seen before but isn't a far cry from storms in regards to weather control. And that applies to ORAS as well.
The only godly act shown in pokemon so far has been contained entirely to the God trio rending spacetime at spear pillar and Arceus creating one of the trio at Sinnoh. Well, unless you count Ho-oh resurrecting the beasts which just looks Kyogre and Groudon was never actually witnessed.
>>
>>35908056
I thought Unova's entirely new Pokédex was the best thing about Black/White. Instead of trying to top "literally god," Game Freak went sideways, and tried to set up a region far away from the entire series so far, with its own ecosystem and its own Pokémon for each niche. Even if you don't like the designs, it still sets Unova apart from everything else.

Except nobody liked that, so now every new region is limited to a maximum of 25% new Pokémon. RIP biodiversity, I guess.
>>
>>35909784
>but it doomed the series to be all clones of rby,
They overlook it because RSE moved the series away from being clones of RSE especially since it removed the reliance on Kanto. It's no coincidence that gens 3 to 5 are the furthest removed from them.
>>
>>35909825
RBY even. Excuse my slip.
>>
>>35903747
xy bought the funeral plot, oras dug out the dirt, sm lifted its coffin and usum threw itself into the hole
>>
>>35909825
I never understood the complaints about the large entirely new Pokédex either. The "quality suffered" argument is weak, especially since most people use cherry picking to justify it. As someone who uses only new Pokémon in their first playthrough, I loved that. In Gens 6 and 7, it was nearly impossible to form a team of 6 new mons that I wanted on my team...
Hopefully GF realizes Gen 8 should do the same thing and tries to distance it from Gens 6 and 7 with a new Pokédex and doesn't attempt to shoehorn in old features awkwardly. I doubt it, but one can dream.
>>
Why are people suddenly calling the gen 3 legends gods?
Forces of nature like the others I'd understand but Gods? They aren't exactly the land and sea in the same way Dialga and Palkia are time and space.
>>
>>35903747
Mega evos, easy
>>
>>35906388
Can we hit 50 masuda points
>>
>>35910263
It’s mostly deflection from sinnohfags. From what I’ve seen it’s almost guaranteed for them to bring up gen 3 box legends if you complain about gen 4’s legends.
>>
>>35909531
This is surprisingly on point.

Not all of those are gross errors though, but the series definitely started going downhill with gen 3-4.

>>35909537
Ultra beasts, however, are fucking atrocious.
>>
They keep fucking themselves over to try and either impress kids with big cool and epic Legendary pokemons/mega evos/zcrystals, gen 1 being so omnipresent in all the newer games to catch the attention of genwunners, and overall the tutorial/handholding length in games keep getting bigger and bigger.

I'd say GO is where it all started to go really wrong for the franchise itself, by making it as casual as it is which attracted millions upon millions of players, which led to making the actual games even more casual / pander-y to those players. And with let's GO coming out, it's obvious that they're only getting started
>>
>>35909582
Mega Pinsir and Heracoss look great. Sharpedo on the other hand, I don't know who thought this was a good idea
>>
>>35903747
LGPE E3 2018
>>
>>35903747
Lucario Statue in XY
>>
>>35907422
SNAP
>>
>>35903747
for the past 3/4 games I end up thinking "ok it can't get worse than this, so the next will be better, every franchise has its low point, and then the next games come out and I'm proved wrong, but "lets go" was the bottom of the pit, it was the first games I decided not to buy because even the trailers can't fool of how bad the game is
>>
Z Moves, Tapus, and Ultra Beasts combined completely fucked power creep beyond repair.
>>
>>35905858
>Isn't mega evolution the same team rocket tried to do with magikarp forced evolution

Rocket always wins, baby.
>>
>>35909825
>RSE moved the series away from being clones of RBY
How?
Hoehn is a good region but the game structure is copypasted from RBY: get 8 badges, beat the league, the end, but you can get Rayquaza and other things.
It literally created the mold for all the future games by refining RBY formula, and adding them the obligatory uber legend and evil team affair.
>>
>>35909531
>bird
>needs more feather/fur outlines to be good!
>smooth bad!
>cat
>smooth bad and fur good?
>no! now I care about ears and not the fur detail at all
>>
>>35908070
>gen 3 had like zero good pokes

i thought i was the only one who thought this, but even as a child i knew the pokemon designs in gen 3 were horrible.
>>
>>35911487
you just don't get it
>>
>>35911717
>criticize specific point
>anon you just don't understand!
Of course I do and I basically agree. It doesn't mean you should use shitty reasoning to defend your opinions. The image you just posted does a much better job.
>>
Zinnia
>>
>>35904388
That is kind of why I liked SMs plot. The box legends weren't even really legends, just strong pokemon that were tangentially related to the evil teams plans.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.