[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
05/08/16Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!
[Hide] [Show All]

File: unrealgoogly.jpg (185 KB, 540x720)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
Buy the games here:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/683/
https://www.gog.com/game/unreal_gold

Share some of your stories from Single-Player/Multiplayer, show off some new maps, mods, mutators, etc and just have fun!

PASTEBIN
http://pastebin.com/KkN7t25R (embed)

Thread Music:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xVoWIpxL4Q
>>
superior song incoming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd67viF7Q54
>>
Damnit, I thought the old thread didn't die.
>>
File: Untitled.png (395 KB, 567x365)
395 KB
395 KB PNG
>>
>>3836337
What she playing there?
>>
So, I guess it was a mistake having Loque included in multiplayer with NW3 considering the fucker is a deadshot with almost everything.
>>
>>3836667

Heh, I've never really tried NW3 with Loque. I'm guessing it's hitscan heavy?

Him and Tamerlane are a lot more reasonable if you use mods with a majority of weapons being projectile weapons, though that means you have less of an advantage if they're on your team in CTF, TDM, or Domination.
>>
After playing mods like NW3 and U4E, ChaosUT isn't really that interesting.
>>
Quake > UT
>>
>>3838162
x1000
>>
>>3837007
Not so much as hitscan heavy, but a lot of the weapons are broken with huge AoE damage. If the direct hit from the projectiles don't kill you, then the splash damage will.
>>
>>3837731
>not mixing them together to make fucktarded matches
>>
File: GatewayToNaPali.jpg (156 KB, 1152x864)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
Unreal has possibly the greatest singleplayer campaign in history in an FPS.
The game felt like a true journey, and I don't think there will ever be anything quite like it.
I have never seen any other FPS ever deliver the same sense of adventure ever again. The campaign felt like a journey of the ages from start to finish.
My only possible complaint is that it was more tech demo-y than game-y.
>>
>tfw you unironically enjoy playing a console port of a PC FPS
>>
>>3838714
unreal for ps1 was in development
>>
>>3838739
>unreal for ps1 was in development

So was N64.
>>
>>3838714
the PS2 version of UT99 was actually pretty good. It had some of its own levels and used models that weren't in the PC. I also liked the official art used in it.
>>
>>3839301

>We will never get direct ports of the PS2 and DC maps to the PC version.
>>
>>3839301

Too bad the ps2 port was ass compared to the DC one. Only the latter had a 60fps framerate.
>>
>>3839778
Why? What is stopping them?
>>
>>3839789
DC version is alright, I just don't like the audio for it. It sounds like they heavily compressed it.
>>
>>3839778
>>3840335
Some maps for the PS2 were ripped and can be downloaded it. The rest of the maps are too small to be played for PC.
>>
File: 1307745777671.jpg (26 KB, 479x358)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>3840852
>The rest of the maps are too small to be played for PC.
>>
>>3841175
The maps for the PS2 version were made to be small.
>>
>>3841339

That won't stop me from playing them with 16 bots and Unreal 4 Ever's OP weapons.
>>
>>3836308
thread
>>
>>3838162
So one has color and the other is brown.
>>
>>3836286
ftfy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9AC2jKjbNg
>>
>>3838714
the console ports weren't bad. They had enough content to make them suitable.
>ports will never be as good
>>
>>3838701
There was a book written about the levels, I'd have to find it again.
>>
>>3841464
Pretty sure some of the bots would start telefragging each other because of the limited spawn points, but I'm sure that can be changed in UE.
>>
>>3839789
I was shocked to learn how lighter on content the PS2 version was compared to the Dreamcast. Apparently, you can't even play Domination, Assault, or TDM in 2 player splitscreen in the PS2 version. Also it has a lot less maps compared to DC.

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7065&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=51235cb51534b409e74fe39561b0642b
>>
>>3843684

But telefrag chains are funny!
>>
>>3843687
>46 Deathmatch maps for DC
>23 for PS2
I didn't think the PS2 version was that limited in terms of content.
>>
>>3843687
Holy shit the DC port had more maps than I remember. I remember there being 2 exclusive SegaNet maps that you could unlock by entering some information in the network mode so you could play them offline.
>>
>>3844569

Here's hwo to unlock the SegaNet maps, for anyone who cares:

"Go to Network Mode, then Account 2 (Login: admin@sega.net; Password: tenages), connect/save settings, then go to Practice Mode"
>>
File: 1485136619871.png (207 KB, 450x416)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>3843687
>no team deathmatch in a splitscreen enabled Unreal Tournament game
>>
>>3844056
>tfw winning a game of Siege because your team built super mines on every enemy spawn point
>>
>>3845001
Jesus, that's some meta shit right there. I don't even know how much RU the guy needed to spawn mines while not getting killed
>>
Does any one know how to get teleports outside of maps for Siege? I always see people set them outside to spawn Redeemers.
>>
HA HA HA!
>>
>>3836667
When this fucker gets the M4 in Unreal4Ever I just want to kill myself.
>>
>>3838701
>My only possible complaint is that it was more tech demo-y than game-y.
It was tech-demo-y in a good way though. I'd consider Quake 3 to be a "bad" tech demo kind of game.
>>
>>3845910
I used to play Siege a lot around 2005-2009, it's probably a lot different now but I remember that you could build through thinner walls if you were close enough (me and a friend loved doing this on hillforts, get boots to jump next to the room with the core, build a tele inside while you're midair, then seal it up from inside with containers and fuck the core up with guardians).
>>
>>3846757
???
They made Quake 3 with good deathmatch performance in mind unlike Q1 and Q2.
>>
>>3846754

I never use the M16 in U4E exactly for that reason. If Loque has it, you are dead as soon as he looks at you.
>>
>>3846770
And also hideously unimaginative, showcasing the engine's features (because it really was the most impressive engine at the time) but making a rather limited game otherwise. Just compare Q3 to UT, in the latter you get castles on asteroids, space ships, pressure chambers, oilrigs, military frigates, cyberpunk cities, egyptian themed levels etc, while in Quake it's all boring brown corridors. Yes they gave it the most well balanced DM of any game up until then, but other than that the game just felt like an entry title to put idTech3 out there with DM slapped on just to get a feel for it. Kind of in the same crappy way that UT2k3 or Unreal 2 came out.

In Unreal 1, the "tech demo" aspect is more present in how they tried to show all sorts of impressive environments, but it also had a great game to go with it, it doesn't feel like the game itself was just made to show UE1.

Also what's the deal with Epic's later engines all having some fuckup that wasn't present in UE1?

UE2 - shitty loading times
UE3 - CPU bottlenecks like crazy, texture streaming issues
UE4 - garbage mouse input
>>
>>3846789
I don't think you've played Q3 there's tons of variety between maps when it comes to visuals and graphically it blows UT out of the water and definitely has more variety over UT. What UT has is visual consistency over Q3 where all the maps fit a completely different aesthetic. UT has some iconic maps like Facing Worlds but that's actually a shit and boring map to play CTF online. Q3 is just the pure deathmatch experience while UT99 goes for content.
>>
>>3846803
>Q3
>tons of variety
As in brown corridors, more brown corridors and yet more brown corridors. Of course the graphics are technically better than UT's, UE1 was made before even idTech1. But the art and design suck. The DM is the most developed you could get in 1999, but overall to me the game just felt like a package of next gen engine + deathmatch.
>>
>>3846789

I liked how UE1 and, to a lesser extent, UE2 had their own "feel" that made it easy to tell you were playing an Unreal Engine game, like the special effects that felt like they were taken from old demoscene demos.

UE3 got rid of everything that made UE1 unique and it became a generic video game engine, just with texture streaming problems and a shitty save system.
>>
>>3847243
I definitely feel that way too. UE1 and Dark Engine had this "heavy" feel to them, it's hard to describe without saying vague bullshit, I don't know, but for instance Source engines just don't feel right for me, like everything is hollow or something.
>>
>>3846803
UT had the better aesthetic because it had the visual clarity Quake 3 didn't have. Quake was always brown and muddy
>>
>>3846789
>Shitty loading times
I don't recall that ever happening
>>
What's going on at Epic Games? The new UT is still in pre-alpha almost 2 years after it was first revealed, while the new Quake is already nearing closed beta mere months after it was announced.
>>
>No Firestorm
>No Residual Decay
>No Chosen One

being an Unreal SP fan is pure suffering.
>>
File: 1481160479160.jpg (29 KB, 699x699)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>3848063
christ, Residual Decay has been in development for almost 10 years now. They want to release it in episodes rather than a completed mod.
>>
>>3848063
>mods that made UT99 look like UT2k4
>never to be released
>>
>>3848952
UT99 looks better though, artistically at least. It looked dark and space-gothic in a unique way that I haven't seen in any other game, 2k4 is cartoony.
>>
>>3848952

UT99 ha quite a bit of power hidden in it. With the right amount of work, you can make maps that approach UT2k4 in quality.
>>
>>3849686
It's mostly a matter of importing higher poly static meshes and using them liberally.
>>
>>3849746

I figured but it's still pretty neat.
>>
I love how pretty Unreal's skyboxes are. Even today, they're still really nice, especially the nighttime ones.
>>
>>3850260
I think the high-quality textures make them better, especially on CTF-Face.
>>
>>3848050

Epic tried to pawn off almost all of the art to third parties so they wouldn't have to spend any money themselves, and only two or so guys actually did it for free.

Then, Epic started shitting up the game's balance and now UT4 is quickly becoming a lost cause.
>>
>>3851489
A lot of people did concept art for the characters and one got hired by them.
>>
>>3848050
with the small team they have, getting the community to "help" them is the only way to get free shit
>>
>>3848376
>Mr. Prophet will never finish the RD
>>
UT99 seems to be more populated than UT2k4 servers. I always felt that UT2k4 was more empty in terms of player activity.
>>
File: Shot0003.png (1.68 MB, 1440x900)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
I love running 300+ bots with the addbots command (I think 320 is the max but you have to add them like 64 at a time to avoid a crash)
>>
File: utrtnpu end kill count.png (1.76 MB, 1920x1080)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
Return to Na Pali Ultimate Edition is really, really good. The old beta maps the team polished up and seamlessly added to the campaign are awesome, particularly Morose and Soledad. There's also a lot of difficulty tweaks that make it a bit harder, especially in the final level, which goes from "boring" to "OH SHIT".
And, it removes the godawful intermission voiceovers that would play after beating a map.

My main complaints are that the middle of the campaign makes you rely too much on the Flak Cannon because of a lack of ammo for other weapons and the Merc Shipping Lanes and Cryox have bots with beefed-up HP as regular enemies, but otherwise it makes RTNP a lot better and much closer to the original campaign in terms of length and quality. Play it, no matter if you have or haven't played RTNP before.

Since the latest update fixed a lot of co-op related problems, I think it would be fun if we did a /vr/ co-op session(s) of RTNP Ultimate Edition one day.

Pic related is my kill count right before the ending.
>>
>>3848050
You forgot how Fortnite was announced when CliffyB stopped making Gears many years ago and it STILL isn't out. Nobody even knows a goddamn thing about it other than being a Minecraft clone, as if people still give a shit about that today.
>>
>>3836351
oh god
>>
What would it take to tweak the Unreal Engine to make Quake strafe-jumping possible?
>>
>>3848050
The new UT is a side project done by a 4-man team of interns, designed almost purely to show off the technical capabilities of UE4 (which granted, is a good engine).

Epic Games rightly sees that there's no money in arena shooters and just wants the bare minimum for UT in order to show off the new engine.
>>
>>3856170
Don't forget to bind keys to summon vast armies of Mercenaries, Skaarj and Krall to go along.
>>
>>3856813
>which granted, is a good engine
It really isn't though. Aside from UT4 itself which is mostly just blockout maps anyway, the performance is shit and the mouse input is craptacular.
>>
If I want to get into Unreal Tournament, which games do I play?
>>
>>3856949
UT99 (the first) and UT2K4 are the good ones. There's also Unreal Championship 2 on Xbox that mixes first person shooting with third person sword combat, really cool game.
>>
>>3836267
>>3838714
Wait, why is there a chainsaw on the box art? I don't remember there being a chainsaw in UT, is my memory that bad?
>>
>>3857128

It's an optional weapon you can replace the Impact Hammer with via a mutator.
>>
>>3846770

Q3 was mindnumbingly boring to me at the time. Just bounce around like a tennis ball and shoot one of like 5 weapons (with just one fire mode) on boring platform levels.
>>
>>3846803

Even at the time I was completely unimpressed with the strange glossy graphics of Q3, I thought UT looked way better. Also, Q3 is just BROWN-GRAY-SKULLS-METAL, fucking boring
>>
>>3846770
Sure but outside that autistic competitive group not that many people were into that kind of thing. Just look at the kind of support UT99 had for years after release, while Quake 3 definitely had the community support, it wasn't really as big or as great as UT, and because the game's main focus was on competition when the next big esport, Counter-Strike came out officially, Q3 nearly dropped to second-place over night.

And UT2004 did the whole 1v1 shtick better anyways.
>>
>>3856949
start with unreal tournament 99, then on to unreal tournament 2004.
>>
>>3857302
It felt like an alpha build compared to the amount of content UT had.
>>3857458
>Quake 3 definitely had the community support
Was it just me being dumb, or was modding Q3 engine games way harder than with UT? I was about 11 when I started modding UT but I picked up on it really fast - certain filetypes went into certain folders, .umod files install the mods with a few clicks and the god-tier U-windows menu made it really easy to configure everything (seriously, why doesn't every single game in existence use that menu?). With Q3 engine games I found it less intuitive to install and manage mods, and had lots of issues regarding mod compatibility, while in UT you could even use StuffSwapper to make retarded mixes of weapons/powerups from vanilla and mods.
>>
>>3857458
Quake 3 and Quake Live are currently the most active arena FPS games by far in terms of player count. Interesting narrative.
>>
>>3857807
considering that they released the source code for Q3 a while ago and Quake Live is just a free to play version of Q3.
>>
>>3857791
>UT2k4
The singleplayer would have been god-tier if they added a bit more micromanagement/a deeper career mode.
>>
>>3857807
Comparing 300 people to 100 people doesn't exactly make Quake seem like the winner.

>>3857792
I'm completely biased when it comes to Engines because Unreal was seriously one of the easiest engines to do anything with ever. Both UT2k4 and 99 were super easy to host servers on and even the hardest one to do anything with, UT3, was still relatively easy compared to most games.

I'm refraining judgement on the other UT game but I do know that UE4 is amazing for me to use. Blueprint is seriously a Godsend. I wonder why Unity is used as the "engine for newbies" when UE4 exists.
>>
>UT2004 was your God game
>it played so much smoother than UT99
>so many more options
>looks amazing, even today
>every time you try to talk about Unreal online everyone just circlejerks about UT99 and never talks about the other games at all
>>
>>3858813
who cares about both of those?
unreal 1 > them all
>>
>>3858064
Quake live now is a complete retail game
>>
>>3858813
There was a split in the community and a lot of people never really liked 2k4 even if it was still a successful game.
>>
>>3858953
It makes me wonder why I even have UT2004 installed on my hard drive if Ut99 is where the players still exist.

It makes me wonder if my opinions are wrong.
>>
>>3858956
tfw Siege never took off on 2k4
>>
>>3857272
Huh, I guess I never played with that mutator before. I guess it's a more recognizable weapon to put on the box but I'm surprised that they advertised the game with an optional weapon that had to be manually activated on the server
>>
UT3's Greed is such a fantastic gamemode, is there a mod that brings it to UT99?
>>
File: animated_logo.gif (18 KB, 90x70)
18 KB
18 KB GIF
Is there any way to enable A3D sound in Unreal Tournament?
>>
>>3836286
Sweet
>>
>>3859043
UT3 isn't really that bad.

Or it wouldn't be if it weren't such a buggy piece of shit.
>>
>>3859165
Or if it didn't look like it came out of Marcus Phoenix's anus.
>>
>>3859183
Eh, there are some really nice looking maps.

That being said I don't even launch UTIII without SweetFX adding color saturation so....
>>
File: 1470091368477.jpg (40 KB, 960x724)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>3859069
>A3D sound
>>
>>3859165
If it wasn't for the Gamespy login, terrible UI, brown visual and horrid SP, it would've been a decent UT game.
>>
>>3859069
I hope you have an aureal card and run windows 98. Enable 3D sound in the sound option menu with "Use hardware 3d sound". The audio system auto detects if you have EAX or A3D support and enables accordingly. To make sure its working you can check the game's log file, it'll say something like this:

Init: Galaxy is using DirectSound
Init: Aureal A3D 2.x 3D sound hardware found!
Init: Galaxy initialized
>>
File: Shot0000.jpg (707 KB, 1920x1080)
707 KB
707 KB JPG
>>3859043
I found a similar gamemode to what I'm looking for, called Headhunters. Apparently it's based off a custom gamemode that first appeared in Quake. The main difference from Greed is that it uses DM and DOM maps instead of CTF, and that it's free-for-all instead of team-based. The interesting thing is that the locations of the "altars" where you deliver the heads to are randomized in DM maps. The dropped heads are affected by physics and fly and bounce around a lot and are pretty difficult to spot, I think the UT3 system where it uses giant color-coded skulls and numbers floating on player's heads indicating how many skulls they're carrying is more elegant.

This is a really fun gamemode and the bots are pretty good at it too. It's a lot more challenging than DM.
>>
File: 659961w.jpg (145 KB, 820x532)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>3859238
3d sound technology made by Aureal.
>>3859718
Many thanks.
>>
>>3860315
>not godlike always
>>
File: wdoll[1].jpg (31 KB, 640x480)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>3837731
Oh man, I loved U4E. The fortress mode was absolutely insane. Was also fun just throwing all those weapons into standard CTF and DM matches.
>>
>>3862070
U4E is still fun to play during LAN parties. Shit gets hectic as fuck
>>
>>3858813
>UT2004
>so many more options

u wot m8?
>>
>>3836267
Best game
>>
>>3836351
LINK!!!
>>
>>
>>3838714
I definitely enjoyed the character select screens for both PS2 and DC releases more than the exclusive maps. It gave the characters artificial depth than just being skins. Kind of glad I had really low standards back then though because 4 player split-screen was fucking awesome even though the frames were constantly shit.

>>3839789
>Only the latter had a 60fps framerate.
heh, you kiddin' right? even in the tiny ass maps the frames were shit but I do commend the DC version for having the best main menu for an arena fps game.

>>3840852
>The rest of the maps are too small to be played for PC.
I know most people like playing big bot count games, but I definitely enjoy 3 Godlike/Nightmare bots in maps optimized for 4 players a lot more. I would love to play in the exclusive console maps again but last time I checked, they had retarded bugs on PC.
>>
>>3846803
>>3846812
>>3847652
>>3857313
Unreal Tournament as a series will never be anything more than an FPS sandbox. It's fun as hell to fuck around in all of the gamemodes and maps UT '99 and UT2k4 offer but neither of them will ever be better than Quake III Arena simply because it has the mechanics and balancing over anything else. It's too hardcore and raw for casual players so most of them stick to UT on that reason alone. If you're going to call a game absolute shit because of it's aesthetics, you're worse than the people who are a-ok with 24.5fps.

>>3858813
I like UT2k4 over UT '99 because it has better custom models for MapMixer and BotMixer.
>build your perfect team of bots
>take them with you every team based game mode
>develop your own headcanon lore
Wish I had time to do that kind of stuff again.
>>
>>3864237
Ut2k4 had better mods as well. Ballistics mod was the shit.
>>
>>3864557
Ballistics mod with freeze tag is even better
>>
>>3864237
Quake 3 only really did DM better than UT though, and regardless all you can find nowadays is fucking Clan Arena.
>>
File: 1489675027733.jpg (6 KB, 223x251)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
If there's one thing that bothers me about UT2k4, it's how boring the gore is. I do like flaming bodies fly across the map, but man the gibs just look like red, fleshy boulders.
>>
File: Cryss-ut1.jpg (19 KB, 470x677)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>3864146
My favorite model from any shooter and playing this during my childhood is probably why I fetishize thongs.
>>
>>3866081
>Somebody found this poorly textured low poly count creature hot enough to comission porn.
>>
>>3866167
I used behindview 1 and sniper-zoomed into the butt, no regrets.
>>
>>3865715
There's a couple FFA servers that are always populated on QL
>>
Anyone know what mods this was made with?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoBC49gLf5U
>>
File: Spoiler Image (219 KB, 894x1080)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>3866081
I had a similar experience with a model from a UT game.
The way that tail moves when he jumps
>>
>>3864237
Wot? The only people who argue that UT2k4 wasn't a well-balanced competitive game are the kind of people that want to start shit over nothing.

Anyone who actually played UT2k4 duels knows that the game is about as good of a ruleset as it could get, and even UTComp added few tweaks.
>>
>>3864557
oh hell yeah, Ballistics was the fucking shit! too bad it ain't fun with bots because you have to either reduce recoil or just stick to playing with real people. Really loved how the made gore in this game enjoyable with the pools of blood and blood trails. Gibs were still gay though because Unreal Engine 2. I also liked playing the dinosaur mod and that invasion mod that spawns a fuck ton of mobs in waves but you also get cool weapons. The mod that was supposed to make UT2k4 competitive somewhat did the job but it's still just dumb fun.
>>
>>3866469
Half of the community disliked the direction the game went in 2k4 - the broken dodgejump mechanics, the tiny midget characters, the dominance of hitscan weapons etc.
>>
>>3866274
Just needs high-texture skins to zoom in on that freckled, white ass.
>>
>>3866569
Gaming communities are usually stupid and don't know what they want.

We live in an era where people ask for DLC, and really it hasn't been all that different since the old days, even then gamers complained about anything and everything.

Dodgejumps were not broken, I have no issue hitting characters, and how does dominance of hitscan change from UT99's gdlk sniper rifle?
>>
>>3864146
>>
>>3866469
Collision detection in UT2K4 is off and getting headshots can be unreliable in it.

>>3866569
Dodgejump/walljump is the best thing to happen to UT. Shit, I got a mutator just to add that shit into UT99. So much better than just clunky as fuck dodge over and over again. UT99 and below really have some shit movement.
>>
>>3867458
Granted. But those are small relatively fixable problems that don't really seem to make sense why people hate it.
>>
>>3867458
the hitboxes for ut99 are massive so its not surprising its harder to get ehadshots in different games
>>
What is everyone's opinion on UT4's headshot rings? I personally like them.
>>
>>3868451
A little annoying at times. I'm trying to find out if you can disable that or not.
>>
>>3867458
Is the mutator any good? I've visiting some old servers that like to use those shitty Matrix move sets that make your screen flip around. It was disorienting to play
>>
>>3868451
should be removed. I get confused into thinking the hitbox is larger than it looks
>>
>>3866352
Most likely used with the Unreal Movie maker
>>
>>3866569
> the dominance of hitscan weapons
please elaborate
>>
>>3836267
I thought that skarj was kurt
>>
>>3873021
Needs the flak cannon to be accurately Kurt.
>>
>>3866167
Link?
>>
>>3866569
Don't forget shock taping. It makes the Shock Rifle broken in the hands of someone with good aim.
>>
File: x8e2i4HX4q.jpg (133 KB, 960x540)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>Get back into UTGOTYE again in 2012-2013
>wow there are actually 1000 active players
>fun coop and monster hunt modes
>crazy mod servers
>instagib populated servers

>2016
>fuck yeah time to play a sick coop mod
>3 populated servers, 16 people online
>one of those has decent ping for US
>lagfest and keep getting kicked
>i will never chill with strangers in dead city or monster hunt ever again

FUCK. I SHOULD HAVE PLAYED MORE WHILE I STILL HAD THE CHANCE
>>
>>3873701
https://68.media.tumblr.com/519108a6051919937a684984276b7443/tumblr_o8qbtwFAE61ttxxlao1_1280.png
>>
>>3873839
You can still play high-ping servers if they have lag compensation. It really feels like you're playing on a 20 ping server
>>
File: 1490136691929.jpg (144 KB, 500x500)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>3873984
>actual UT porn
it this a blessing?
>>
>>3874682

http://68.media.tumblr.com/40e5221563a6ce0f3ad37a80b75e6dbc/tumblr_o2z1n5fneI1s0nb2fo1_1280.png
>>
>>3873839

Yo -http://steamcommunity.com/groups/specksunreal
>>
>>3873839
Check the pastebin, there are two groups listed but they are pretty active and I think one of them is holding a small tourney.
>>
>>3866051
the gore wasn't all that impressive for UE2, even in UE3 it was sort of hard to see with how the color saturation was in the third game.
>>
>>3866460
>Skaarj shaking that tail seductively at you while playing
>>
>>3867070
usually they know where the game should be at this point and know a bit more about the developers on balances
>>
>>3838701
I unironically enjoyed Unreal 2 more than it.
>>
>Unreal
>Large, almost continuous world that feels like a massive journey.
>Indiana Jones meets Quake and Myst.
>Unusual but fun weapons.
>Great Skaarj AI that still holds up.
>Unintrusive plot you learn via messages.
>Good character speed.

>Unreal 2
>Large but generic planets you go to inbetween visits to your spaceship base.
>Generic FPS weapons with some token exotic weapons you can use that have no extra ammo you can find.
>You spend most of the time fighting soldiers instead of aliens and no way to dodge their attacks.
>Boring plot the game encourages you to go through that has a lame plot twist anyone could see.
>Your character is slow as fuck unless you use console commands to make him move at a decent pace.

what did legend mean by this
>>
>>3878779
Unreal 2 was just a sci-fi game that uses the name. Yeah, sure it uses enemies from the Unreal universe but it didn't have the same feeling, or soul if you will.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi6p2JKs480
>>
>>3878779
>Unreal
>Poor gameplay, boring weapons, and bland encounter design

>Unreal 2
>Acceptable gunplay, loads more fun guns, more varied enemies, and more fun encounter design

You tell me
>>
>>3880019
You tell me why someone like you is even in this thread, or /vr/? This isn't new unreal thread, its old unreal thread.
>>
>>3880045
Because I think Unreal 1 is still a decent game in spite of its massive flaws and love UT
>>
>servers that host maps with porn as the texture
I don't understand how people can fap while playing this game
>>
>>3856562
Got a link to it?
>>
So, quick question, is the playerbase mostly in America or Europe these days? I'm mostly asking because I'd like to go and buy the UT'99 for old times sake to play a few matches, but if I'd have to do it with 200+ ping I'd be less inclined to do so.
>>
>>3883048
Most servers are equipped with lag compensation, so even if you have 100 or more ping, you can play as if you have 20 ping
>>
>>3866352
Looks like they used models from Tactical Ops mod, Unreal Movie Maker. It's hard to tell but that's my guess
>>
File: 1450338922_lr05LtJ.jpg (169 KB, 506x500)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
Ayy, schedule here

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/specksunreal#announcements/detail/666937047912366918
>>
>>3883553
QL when
Tribes 2 when
>>
>>3858953
I like both UT2004 and UT99, but I played UT99 more because of the community and I liked the general feel of the visual style better than 2004.
>>
>>3873984
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQYhFrScRE
This blew me away many years ago before UE3
>>
>>3845001
the enemy team must be bad to let them get enough resource early to make those
>>
>>3873009
There's a reason people grab LG/Shock in 1v1DM right next to shields/health

If you have good aim, those weapons can remove a ton of health/map control difference
>>
>>3886183
what about the Sniper Rifle?
>>
>>3886183
The Shock Rifle has to be the most broken out of the hitscan weapons because of shock tape.
>>
>Dawn's Deathmatch Palace will continue to be online with different owners

2017 confirmed for best year
>>
What are some good UT servers? Any mode is fine.
>>
>>3888865
Dawn's Deathmatch for DM. It's fairly active and like >>3888005 said, it's still alive
>>
Where can I get Invasion RPG version before it added an item shop and suffixes?
>>
>>3890158
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ut2004rpg
>>
God I love those necris babes, its a shame they left them out in 2k4.

And then they blackwashed half of the necris because muh diversity
>>
>>3891975
forgot to mentioned that happened in UT3
>>
>>3891975
I thought there were a few Necris in 2004?
>>
>>3891980
Two necris males and thats all if I remember correctly
>>
>>3890910
Nevermind I just found out "classic" RPG was version 1.0 of UT2003RPG, shame really. I don't like the modern one with all those poison weapons and supply drops or whatever.
>>
>new update for nu-UT out
>makes movement EVEN MUDDIER
>mouse input is still trash like every UE4 game
pls stop
>>
>>3891995
I think you can still try that version in UT2004

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.