[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



File: Mega_Man_X_Coverart.png (101 KB, 256x189)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
How the hell are you supposed to know the order to beat the bosses? Do they really just assume we all have infinite time to do trial and error?
>>
The cover has the water level, so I just assumed that was the first level.
Octofuck kicked my ass, so I just went with which level would look the most "first level-y", and I picked the forest. I had no problem dealing with that one, then I picked the level where you get the dash upgrade and it was smooth sailing from there.
>>
You aren't supposed to know. You don't need the weaknesses to beat the bosses. By finishing the game multiple times (or even just twice) you can take note of all the weaknesses.
I actually played all Megaman games (except 7 and X) without knowing the "right" order, and still managed to do just fine.

>infinite time trial and error
From all the games I've played, the only Robot Masters that _remotely_ give you trouble with the Buster are Freeze Man (7) and that mushroom guy from X5 (or X6, I kind of forgot). Freeze Man just doesn't give a fuck if you're shooting him, and will continue on his merry way doing a lot of attacks with no discernible pattern.
>>
>>4185457
Elecman in MM1 is pretty fucking hard too. You die in 3 hits.
>>
>>4185423
Game is perfectly beatable using only the buster.
I would even say the best way to take enjoyment from X is playing buster only since abusing weaknesses trivializes the challenge.
>>
>>4185423
starting with the fifth game in the classic series you don't lose your charged shot upon getting hit. Which makes it easier than ever to defeat bosses without attacking their weakness.
>>
>>4185460
Elecman flinches, and has a very beatable pattern.
The X bosses are generally worse, because they take up the entire screen, and you take contact damage, so there is a real danger of getting stuck inside their movement.
>>
>>4185470
Doesn't Bright Man in 4 take half your life bar just with contact damage? Not like he has any other means of attack, but still.
>>
>>4185460
elecman is easy since his attacks are easy to avoid
Iceman is the hard one
>>
File: 166.jpg (41 KB, 300x100)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>4185423
Wellll, if you started on the first series you'd have pretty much all you need to get through this relatively quick.
>>
>>4185461

Buster only is so boring and completely ignores the entire mechanic the games were specifically designed around. I never understood this obsession with buster only runs, it doesn't make the game easier as you have infinite ammo and an easy powered up shot.

You want a challenge? Weapon only runs. After you collect your first weapon, you cannot use your buster for anything.
>>
>>4185423
>cant xbuster all the bosses at min health

wew lad, git gud
>>
>>4185457
There is definitely a pattern to Freeze Man. I can no damage him with the Buster pretty consistently.
>>
>>4185812
You can lock him into a pattern (freeze ground, freeze ceiling, walk, jump, freeze bullet), but if you deviate from this even slightly, he'll just do whatever he wants.
>>
>>4185423
An infinite amount of monkeys with an infinite amount of type writers, someone was bound to find something
>>
>>4185801
>cant xbuster all the bosses at min health without the dash
get on my fucking level anon
>>
>>4185460
shadow man, quickman and iceman are also annoying when I just use the buster
>>
>>4185797
Weapons are too versatile. You want a challenge? Upgrade only runs. When you collect a new weapon, you can't use any of the previous ones again.
>>
>>4185423
The game is ridiculously easy even with x-buster only, missing half the hearts, half the e-tanks, and never finding any armor pieces other than the dash boots.

Children that played the game beat it under this condition.

Half the bosses get their pattern dumbed down when you use the boss weapon which makes it ridiculously easy to no-miss them.
>>
>>4185941
What if I get Bright Man's weapon?
>>
>>4185423
You say that as if the bosses are impossible to beat out of order. It's really not that hard.
>>
>>4185797
lol, if anything the challenge is about playing buster only. Or do you think freezing Spark Mandrill till he dies is fun?
>>
Having the right weapon for a boss's weakness is a reward, not a given. That's why using the weakness makes it so easy, you're being rewarded for guessing right or experimenting.
>>
>>4185423

Bait or a super millennial.
>>
>>4185423
I mean, I always found that there was an "intuitive" first boss when playing

>Mega Man X
>A mammoth, eagle, octopus, chameleon, armadillo... and a fucking penguin
>Gee I wonder where I'm going first

>Mega Man X2
>Stag, Crab, Aligator.... sponge...
>Gee I wonder...

>Mega Man X3
Obviously this kind of broke the formula, because Crush Crawfish will fuck your shit up.
>>
>>4185423
>Do they really just assume we all have infinite time to do trial and error?
Yes. That is what the entire series is about.
>>
>>4186171
I always thought Wheel Gator was supposed to be the designated 1st boss, the spike section early on in Sponge's stage is really unforgiving if you don't know how to dash-jump and Gator's is probably the easiest, enough so that first time players can reach him with 3 lives.
>>
>>4186560
I thought this too. At least in my play-throughs, I'd start with Wheel Gator. But that is one of the nice things about MM, you can honestly jump in the boss order anywhere and still do just fine, and of course you can just beat them all with the Charge Shot. Sigma sometimes still gives me some trouble to this day. I just haven't gotten his pattern down like most of the others.
>>
>>4185423
the only time X1 really wants you to know the order is to do Chill Penguin first, because you get the dash there (why the fuck was the dash a powerup, starting out as a kid was dumb because it was ages before I picked Chill Penguin's stage because I thought "fuck ice levels")
the game is a bit obnoxious without it (also, flame mammoth's stage becomes retardedly easy for whatever reason)
order stops really mattering after that, although some bosses are a bit annoying out of order (in particular, sting chameleon fucks my shit up every time, and armored armadillo does stupid damage if you fuck up, so I kind of just want him dead ASAP)

X1 isn't a massively hard game.
if you have even a handful of the upgrades, it's damn easy even
>>
If you dont map dash to R you are a casual
>>
>>4187690
it's honestly kind of awful to play MMX without R-button dash
in fact, I have no idea why that's not the default
>>
File: 1398257689018.jpg (81 KB, 553x415)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>4185423
First millennials are complaining about breaking the glass tube in Super Metroid being impossible to figure out on your own and now this? What is next? Super Mario Bros. not having a huge text box telling to press A button to jump?

The whole fucking point of Mega Man games has always been able to try out the stages in any order you want and yes, this includes the "unfair" "bad game design" of player not knowing the best order to go through the stages/bosses when playing through the game for the first time and the game expecting you to be able to beat few bosses with your basic buster but that is where the fun factor in Mega Man games has always been at. Also there really isn't that much of trial and error in Mega Man games and you should be able to beat any stage/boss in any order with some effort.

Hell, Mega Man X is one of the easier Mega Man X games and even if you don't choose to go through the stages in optimal order or aren't able to beat any of them at first you should be able to collect some power-ups making you stronger and increase your changes on the next level you try out.
>>
>>4186103
Bait and /vr/ is biting furiously. Pathetic
>>
File: 1482484197275.jpg (48 KB, 798x809)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>CHILL penguin
>he's chill so he won't give you any trouble, clearly your first target
>gives you a shotgun
>great for hitting monkeys that jump around
>go for spark MANDRILL ( = monkey)
>get electric spark
>oh wow look an ARMORED armadillo, what could be his weakness, maybe something that doesn't give a fuck about armor, like ELECTRICITY?
>BOOM, rolling shield
>hmm what's a shield good for, maybe protecting you from stuff launched at you
>LAUNCH octopus BTFO, get fucking torpedos that go BOOM
>clearly to be used on BOOMER kuwanger
>boomeran CUTTER, clearly to be used in a forest stage
>fuck up chameleon, get sting
>it's the 90ies, so Sting is playing on the radio AKA is on the air --> Storm Eagle is your obvious next target
>get storm tornado which doesn't make any fucking sense but flame mammoth is last so who gives a fuck
>>
File: 1452369569.webm (2.97 MB, 512x448)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>4185818
Freeze Man jumps if you shot him while he's running.
His pattern does not deviate, it's you who don't realize he won't jump if you shot him while he's charging.
>>
>>4185423
Um, how is that different from the NES games? Did I miss something that should have made the order obvious?
>>
>>4187985
X games have more emphasis on upgrading yourself to face harder bosses.
By the time you're defeating the 8th boss your life bar is twice as big and you take half the damage, of course some bosses are considerably harder than others to compensate this, and facing them in the wrong order can fuck you up.
>>
>>4187983
Wait, is it a reaction to you shooting, or he only jumps when the shot hits him? Because on the second jump of your webm (0:03) he jumps before the shot hits him

Nice find, anyway. I recall Goenitz, the final boss of KOF 96, also reacts to a command you input (fireball) with a teleport, even if your character doesn't have a fireball.
>>
>>4188002
He jumps the instant you fire the buster.
>>
File: mqdefault-2.jpg (8 KB, 320x180)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>4187690
>Y = shoot
>B = jump
>A = dash
any other way, is pain:
keyboard, pain
wiiu pad, pain
classic controller, pain
pc controller, pain
my nightmares are filled with harddrives and save states.
>>
>>4185429
>The cover has the water level, so I just assumed that was the first level.

Wouldn't you assume that the cover would show the "final boss" and not just he first level?
>>
>>4187918
all so you can BTFO of the fire
>>
>>4188373
That's a good point, also considering X is in his full white armor not the blue armor the player starts with.
>>
File: 1502126524023.png (58 KB, 565x547)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>4187918
>screenshotted
That was a good one, haha.
>>
> Pick a level
> Buster only
> If I get a game over move onto another
> Carry on until I beat one
> Pick one of the remaining
> Repeat

Not very hard
>>
>>4185423
The biggest bullshit is that Icy Penguino is aeak to flame wave, but Burnin Nourimander's stage necessitates beating penguino first.
>>
>>4185423
Easy, you buy the player's guide or subscribe to Nintendo Power.
>>
>>4185423
You were supposed to win with buster only like every other megaman you pleb.
>>
>>4185423
I beat them all with just the x buster either way, git gud.
>>
File: vs spark mandrill.webm (1.66 MB, 512x448)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB WEBM
>Do they really just assume we all have infinite time to do trial and error?

They assumed that you'd learn the boss patterns.
>>
>>4185423
>Do they really just assume we all have infinite time to do trial and error

uhm duh -- they wanted as many hours of gameplay as possible

guessing you didn't grow up playing this, which -- if that's the case makes me wonder why you'd bother to go back and play it
>>
>beat 1st boss
>play second level
>if 1st boss's weapon is not effective, try beating it with what you have and if you fail, try a different level since you have to go back to the level select anyway
>>
>>4187918
I just wanted to say I thought this was a funny post out of the whole muck of this site
>>
>>4187918
>>it's the 90ies, so Sting is playing on the radio AKA is on the air --> Storm Eagle is your obvious next target
Damn...
>>
Makes the game last. If you're a kiddo just playing around, you'll probably go to a random level and get your poo-hole literally blown the fuck out. So, you go to another level. Again, shitter gets shafted. Passwords are given out like candy so every little bit of progress made via cleared levels or heart tanks or sub tanks is saved. Eventually prepubescent you finds one level+Maverick that your little kid skills and tiny hands can conquer without too much difficulty (probably Chill Penguin). Fortunately, this level forces you to obtain the leg parts without having to clear the level or hunting around. This part helps your dodging skills in general so even if you fail at Penguino you can have a better shot at some other stages. So, whichever boss you defeat first (still probably Penguino due to okverall ease), you wind up with a new weapon. Chances are even a little one will be curious to try that weapon against the other boss enemies, and after some trial and error come across the one weak to it. This process makes a fairly short game into something substantial and lasting, particularly for wee sprouts who would probably blow many lives even on easy stages. Kinda arcade-y design but toned down by way of passwords.
>>
>>4185457
mushroom is X4

You find the weaknesses either through logic or luck. and even then, some powers might not be the right matchup, but will still give you enough of an edge to beat them.

it only becomes sort of necessarry at the end of the game when you have a bossrush mode, and at that point, matching different powers against different enemies is easy.
>>
Before gamefaqs you just had to figure it out. Just like every other game.
>>
>Skull Man doesn't move or attack till you move or attack

idk why this stuck with me
>>
I thought the idea was that you had the freedom to choose your own order?
>>
>>4185423
>>4185457
SPBP

You don't HAVE to know the weaknesses to beat the bosses and proceed forward in the game. Figuring out the weaknesses is supposed to be a nice little bonus or reward that makes the fight easier for you, but it's not a requirement to defeating them.

Some are obvious and follow traditional gaming tropes (Fire beats ice so use fire on Chill Penguin, Spark loses to ice/water, etc.), but for the rest you just had to figure it out. You say "do they really just assume we all have infinite time to do trial and error" as if Mega Man games are ever long games. They're not. Once you figure out the boss weaknesses and learn the levels/fights, you can breeze through the game in an hour or two. The only way you got your money out of these games as a kid/casual/first time player was to experiment with the different weapons on the different bosses. Once you do that, the game is a pretty quick run.




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.